Speaker 1: Clovis, California, became the epicenter of our nation's culture war over this past weekend. As a boy, ab Hernandez was allowed to compete in and dominate his various events in the California State High School Track and field competition overseen by CIF the California Interscholastic Federation, which is the governing body for California high school sports. Now, I was there for pretty much the whole weekend, everything that happened from the Thursday press conference held by Clovis City Council member and Mayor pro tem of Clovis, Diane Pierce, all the way to the end of the track meet Saturday night in the midst of you know, a super enormous heat wave, extremely hot temperatures even for Fresno.
Speaker 2: For the end of February.
Speaker 1: I think I sweat out over the course of Friday and Saturday, about four times my body weight worth of water.
Speaker 2: So I want to go through the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Now, let's start with the actual controversy itself and the legal setting. So California has had laws on the books, laws that were passed in twenty thirteen that went into effecting twenty fourteen and under Jerry Brown, that basically say, in California public high schools, sports and other accommodations like bathrooms, locker rooms, et cetera, are on the basis of gender identity, not biological sex. So if a boy thinks he's a girl, he gets to play girls basketball, girls water polo, girls swimming, girls track and field. He thereby also gets to use the girl's locker room, the girl's bathroom, the girls showers. This has been on the books in California again since twenty fourteen, so that's California law. President Trump in early February issued an executive order to protect girls' sports, and the Trump administration basically put forward the argument that Title nine itself demands that boys not play girls' sports, that the presence of male athletes is demeaning and insulting to women in their athletic competitions, and specifically that their presence within locker rooms is a threatening and endangering thing. So Title nine would demand adequate fair treatment of women within sports. Title nine demands that men not play, and the Trump administration basically said, we are going to engage in Title nine enforcement efforts against body athletic governing bodies that do that persist in letting men play women's sports. The NCAA pretty much immediately complied almost instantaneously after the Trump administration issued this executive order. The CIF, however, did not. The CIF basically said, well, no, we're going to have We're gonna we're going to follow California state law.
Speaker 2: So the CIF did not comply with the Trump executive order.
Speaker 1: Now, over the course of last week, CIF wound up changing their policies like twice in two different ways, and basically what they ended at was a policy that's not really in conformity with the Trump executive order because they are still allowing males to compete in competition alongside female competitors. They have also done nothing to address problems like accommodations, bathrooms, showers, locker rooms, which frankly like as as much as I think it is bad and unfair and tears of unfairness here, t I e r s of unfairness here. As unfair as I think it is that boys are stealing the spotlight from girls and getting awarded alongside girls.
Speaker 2: Or could be taking opportunities from girls.
Speaker 1: The most egregious harm of such policies is the violations of women's privacy that it entails men using women's bathrooms, men changing in women's locker rooms, men showering in women's locker rooms. When you're talking about high school, also, let's remember not just focusing on Pacific athletic event like this Track and Feel meet, but just in general, you're at a high school, you train, you know, you've got a team training. This same team like a basketball team. Let's say might have a fourteen year old freshman.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 1: The girl's basketball team could include a fourteen year old freshman girl and a eighteen year old male who identifies as a girl, who are expected now to shower together. Let's let that sink in. Okay, and you could have you're talking about an adult male who might be a high school senior who identifies as a woman. But it's just identify as there doesn't need to be any hardware update.
Speaker 2: Let me if I can put it delicately. Okay.
Speaker 1: This might be someone who has not had any surgery, any kind of plastic surgery to make his body appear more like the body of a woman. This might not even be someone who's on hormones to try to make their appearance more like a woman. You can genuinely have a situation where an eighteen year old male is showering alongside fourteen year old females. So that was not at all addressed by the CIF policy. So CIF made their policies less egregious.
Speaker 2: How do they do that?
Speaker 1: So what CIF did over the course of last week is basically, say, a biological boy is allowed to compete in the girls event on the basis of a claim gender identity. But basically they're not going to take any spot from a girl. So no girl is going to fail to qualify for the next round if they are beat out for a spot by a transgender competitor. Okay, so if a transgender competitor makes the qualifying time or jump or whatever, instead of let's say bringing ten girls to the finalists, we're now going to bring eleven.
Speaker 2: Right. Also, no girl is going to miss out.
Speaker 1: On her final result or spot on the basis of a transgender competitor. So if the transgender person gets first place, the next ranked girl is also awarded first place, and then the next girl who is third as far as her time or distance or whatever, is awarded second place, and so on. So no girl's going to miss out on a spot because of a transgender competitor. No girl is going to miss out on a ranking because of a transgender competitor, which really kind of makes it seem like, what the heck are we doing here? This is basically just something to gratify this child's ego, or this to make this child feel good.
Speaker 2: Now, Trevor actually said it best.
Speaker 1: He had me on the show on Thursday and we talked about it, and Trevor just off the top of his head and he said, I could use this line.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to use this line.
Speaker 1: Basically said, so Aby Hernandez, this boy who's playing in the girls events, he's basically in a phantom league of his own. And that's exactly what it is. He's more or less competing in this phantom league. And you saw that during the track meet last weekend.
Speaker 2: He wins.
Speaker 1: First place in the triple jump by a massive margin.
Speaker 2: But another girl.
Speaker 1: From Albany, California is also awarded first place, even though she jumped you know, almost two feet, not as far as Hernandez did in the triple jump. The next girl, who had the third longest jump is awarded second place.
Speaker 2: And so on.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna take you kind of day by day over the course of the show.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take you guys kind of.
Speaker 1: Day by day throughout the week, and I'm going to start I'll start with Thursday. So Thursday was the press conference that took place at the Clovis Veterans' Memorial Building that was convened by Diane Pierce. And I just want to say this, Diane Pierce stood tall this whole week as the obvious leader locally on this issue. Now it was in Clovis, in the city of Clovis. One could argue that it sort of made sense for a City of Clovis official to be the one leading the charge, but I don't know that that's necessarily true. Anyone could have taken the lead on this. An assembly member, of state, senator, a congressman, county supervisor, and certainly a lot of local politicians participated in her efforts and were supportive. And I appreciate all the people who were there backing what Diane does. But the fact remains she was the one who was convening these press conferences and bringing the most attention to this, getting the attention of the Trump administration to focus on what was going on. She was one sort of convening this, working with Vince Fong's office to alert people at the federal level, etc. So Diane Pierce calls this press conference, and I'll say this, I think she's an extremely talented politician. I think she's a great public speaker, and I think the future is quite bright for her if she chooses to pursue some higher office.
Speaker 2: Beyond the Clovis City Council.
Speaker 1: And there are probably going to be some opportunities like that locally for her, whether it's the County Board of Supervisors or the State Senate. I know it's announced that Nathan Magzig, who is the county supervisor who represents the Clovis area, is running for the state Senate once Shannon Grove term limits out. He'll be running for Grove's seat in twenty twenty six. I think there are going to be opportunities for Peers. And clearly she was heading shoulders the leader on this whole issue. So in the press conference, Diane Pierce spoke, she read a message from State Senator Shannon Grove. David Tonguipa was there. He spoke, and he talked about some proposals he was working on for maybe open competition categories where the competition would be open to persons of either sex, in order to sort of make it clear that this is a woman's category, this is a man's category. If you want people to come in and mix regardless of Jenner in a separate category, that's fine. He was sort of taking inspiration from. I guess professional bowling does a kind of open competition in certain cases.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can tell Tongu he's I can tell that talk about is trying to work within the constraints of what he can work with within the California state legislature, which is to say, very liberal constraints.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm not sure how.
Speaker 1: Sensible that's going to be, though, given that for sports like track and field, the only people who are going to be in the open boys are just so much bigger, taller, stronger, faster, and outmatch girls that the top boys out match the top girls so significantly. I mean the winning the best high jump on the girl's side was five foot seven. The best high jump on the boy's side was six foot nine. Like, what are we even talking about here? There's no, it's not necessarily very sensible for it to be a mixed category, i'd say. And throughout the Thursday press conference, the leading object of scorn as is right and just was our beloved Governor Gavin Newsom. Now Newsome, you know, he made the critical mistake of doing this podcast, which is now I think my wife noted that his podcast listenership has absolutely plummeted from the first few episodes, which is, by the way, how all these celebrity podcasts go. Every celebrity podcast does this. They announced that some celebrity has podcast, everyone makes a big start, maybe there's like one news story that breaks as a result of it. They get, you know, a bunch of people to listen for the first two episodes, and then nobody ever listens to it again. And that seems to be precisely what happened with Newsom.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Newsom's problem was that when he started the podcast, he was like talking only with like really conservative people like Charlie Kirk and then Michael Savage and this person and that person, and it really ticked off liberals that he did that, and conservatives were like whoa, Okay, So, you know, the very first episode of Newsom's podcast, he's talking with Charlie Kirk and he says, yeah, it's deeply unfair when biological boys, when boys, you know, playing girls sports. And through the press conference, everyone's like, all right, well, Gavin Newsom, where are you, buddy? You know, if you think it's deeply unfair for boys to play girls sports.
Speaker 2: This is the state.
Speaker 1: Track and field championships. We're gonna say that the bet that the high jump champion of California is a girl, that the long jump second place finisher of California is a excuse me, that the high jump girls champion is a boy, that the long jump second place girls finisher is a boy, and that the triple jump champion by almost two feet is a boy.
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 1: Where are you trying to lead the charge in the state legislature to change this? But this is the problem with Newsom. He says it's unfair, but he doesn't have the political stones, He doesn't have the political courage to actually do.
Speaker 2: Anything about it.
Speaker 1: He's not going to introduce legislation to keep boys out of girls sports, and he doesn't have clean hands on the question. It was Newsome in twenty twenty who changed California law signed into law massive changes for California prisons mandating that they house inmates on the basis of gender identity, not biological sex. Which, as much as we're talking about girl sports, and yes, I do think boys playing girl sports is unfair and unjust, housing men in women's prisons is worse. It's a much more serious violation of privacy, a much more serious risk because now you're saying that women have to be locked up.
Speaker 2: With convicted criminals, convicted criminal men.
Speaker 1: As we see in Madera County where Sally Moreno, the DA up there is prosecuting a man who got housed in the Chowchilla Women's prison who proceeded is accused of raping three of his cellmates, one of whom he got pregnant. When we return, we'll have more from my weekend at the races, My day at the races, My day at the Culture War races.
Speaker 2: That's next on the John Girardi Show.
Speaker 1: John Girardi here, we're talking about this past weekend at the California State High School track and field meet held up Buchanan High School, in which a biological well, just a boy. I'm not sure there's any other kind of boy than a biological boy. Biology is what makes you a boy.
Speaker 2: A boy.
Speaker 1: Ab Hernandez, who's a junior from la from Harupa Valley High School in southern California, a boy, won the California state championship in the triple jump, tied for first in the high jump, and got second placed in the long jump, all in the girls' division in spite of the fact that ab Hernandez is a boy. So I was there Friday and Saturday. Friday was the pliminaries and Saturday was the championship competitions for the state track and field meets, and it was actually it was my first time going to a big track and field meet like that. It was actually really interesting and pretty fun. The not so much the field events, the high jump, long jump, triple jump. Those were pretty boring, honestly, but the track events were super exciting, including the one hundred meter dash, where a boy set the new California state record in the one hundred meter dash. This kid ran a ten point h one second one hundred meter dash, which was absolutely thrilling to watch. So let me talk about Hernandez himself, who, by the way, in all of this. Let's just remember, I understand a lot of you listening don't like boys playing girls sports. I have no ill will to the kid, who, let's remember, is a kid. This is an eleventh grader. This is not an adult. So let's take that with a grain of salt. I'm not here to bash any kid. So Hernandez is a very effeminate acting boy. He's not the biggest boy, he's obviously pretty slight, but he's recognizably a boy. He's a boy who has his hair done up. His face is just caked with makeup, like almost comically so in some of the photographs from the event, my wife thought, oh my gosh, it's like it's.
Speaker 2: Almost to the point of being clown makeup.
Speaker 1: His hair is oddly bleached, kind of a copper color, coppery blonde. But he's recognizably a boy, and the physical advantages of being a boy in these competitions or him are just obvious.
Speaker 2: He's flat chested, he's got narrow hips.
Speaker 1: He's got broad shoulders, he's got more defined musculature than most of the girls. And it's sort of that, I mean, that's why clearly he's doing so well. It's not because He's got this immaculate form in any of his events, and I'll talk about that more later. He can kind of get away with sort of mediocre form because he's got muscles on muscles on muscles that the girls just don't have.
Speaker 2: And it's not the girl's fault. They're just girls. Girls musculature is different from boys.
Speaker 1: And it allows him, as a fairly mediocre male athlete, to just completely dominate.
Speaker 2: Now, when we return.
Speaker 1: I'll talk about specific events and specifics of what I saw, including some of the craziness that happened outside the gates at the track meet. All that next on the John Girardi Show at the California State Track and Field Meet Friday, and this past Friday and Saturday, the high school track and Field meet, in which a boy, ab Hernandez was competing in the girls division for some of the events. The action happening outside was about as wild as the action happening inside the stadium.
Speaker 2: So let me kind of try and paint the scene for you.
Speaker 1: So Friday, Friday, the gates open at two at Veterans Memorial Stadium at Buchanan. It is hot. It is like one hundred plus degrees. Really stinking hot. I go into the stadium and I'm at the kind of the east end of the stadium, which is near you know, you can look right outside the fence and you see the corner of Minnie Wah Wah and Knees Avenues in Clovis, and there's sort of that corner there, and on that corner were protesters, protesters against boys in girls' sports. And at different times they were there holding signs, having cars passed by honk at them. A lot of them were were women wearing pink clothing of various kinds, holding signs that say save girls sports, no boys and girls sports, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Different conservative social media types were out there on the corner. Now, on Friday, a pro transgender protester showed up and was out there on the corner. It was kind of after a lot of the anti transgenderism protesters had left this this pro transgenderis tester came out and now this pro transgenderism protester, according to news reports after the event, goes by the name Ethan Kroll. Now I couldn't one hundred percent tell, mostly because Kroll was really covered up. I couldn't tell if Kroll was actually a woman. I think Kroll might have been a woman, I'm not exactly sure. Just again, this person was very covered up. Kroll was outside again at the corner of Knees in Minneuowa, wearing all black, black blue jeans, a black hoodie sweatshirt with the hood pulled up. And again, let's remember it's like one hundred and three degrees, black sunglasses, a black face mask, even wearing black gloves, and holding a transgender pride flag sort of, which is I think it's like blue pink. It's five horizontal stripes on a flag, blue, pink, white, pink.
Speaker 2: Blue, because you can switch between blue and pink, which is hilarious.
Speaker 1: How the whole transgender ideology is premised on the idea that sex or gender is really just based in nothing other than very hackneyed stereotypes about the male and female sexes. Being a woman is just a matter of liking girly things. Being a man is just a matter of liking guy things. So being a girl means you like pink. Being a boy means you like blue. In spite of the fact that like twenty or thirty years ago, feminists would have screamed at you for.
Speaker 3: Saying, just because a boy likes likes feminine things does not make him less of a boy. Just because a girl is a tomboy does not make her less of a woman, like which true.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't think you ceased to be a boy just because you're, you know, a three year old and your playing with your sister's naked barbie doll or something. And I don't think a girl is a boy because you know she's falling down in mud and wants to play baseball. Like no, you're You're still a boy, and you're still a girl. And it's based on biology and physiogogy.
Speaker 2: Your body.
Speaker 1: Is a meaningful, constitutive element of who you are, of your identity. Now, this person ethan crawl, This pro transgender protester was out there dressed all in black, holding a pro a transgender pride flag attached to an aluminum pole, so holding and it was a big flag looked like a like almost like a I don't know, like a five foot long maybe five feet by three feet or so, I guess flag attached to a large aluminum pole.
Speaker 2: Looked like it was about I don't know, four or five feet long.
Speaker 1: I saw the after effects of it, but the video of the event itself got posted onto x that Kroll got into an argument with this local conservative kind of activist guy named Josh Fulfer, who's very active on various forms of social media. Fulfer's driving by, he told me, with his wife, got into kind of a shouting match with Kroll, and Kroll goes over to the side view window, to the passenger window of the car and begins to jam the butt end of this big aluminum pole that the Pride flag is attached to through the window. Fulfer then proceeds, I actually I forget if it was or his wife. I think Fulford said it was him, proceeds to pepper spray Kroll, the pro transgender protester, gets pepper spray in the face. Police apparently saw the interaction. And you know, I'm not the best lawyer in the world, but if those are the facts, and I believe they are, that's a pretty clear cutcase of Kroll engaging in assault and of Fulfer engaging in reasonable self defense.
Speaker 2: So police arrested Kroll did not arrest.
Speaker 1: Fulfer, according to him, and according to news accounts, seems like Krohle was the only person arrested.
Speaker 2: Kroll got charged with a couple of counts.
Speaker 1: And was booked into the Fresno County Jail, including with a felony count of assault with a deadly weapon not a firearm.
Speaker 2: Now, that was nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that was happening while the track and field meet's going on. I'm kind of trying to watch the track and field, but now I'm like trying to cover this, and I'm talking with kids who were eyewitnesses to it.
Speaker 2: It was completely nuts.
Speaker 1: Also, the whole I should have led with this Friday was surreal because overhead the whole time, we were pretty much the entire afternoon from you know, the gates opened at two. I mean I didn't leave until I think after eight o'clock. The competition began at three. I don't think I left until after eight o'clock. For most of the afternoon, a plane was flying overhead above Veterans Memorial Stadium at Buchanan with a banner behind it that said no boys in girls sports, just constantly flying overhead.
Speaker 2: So everyone there was like, you know, engage with it. Now. The crowd, it was a pretty full crowd.
Speaker 1: The Grand stands weren't completely filled just because the sun was just mercilessly beating down on the grand stands that are on sort of the north side of the state, the north side sort of the north slash, it's kind of the northeast side of the stadium, and then there's sort of more of the southwest side of the state. The southwest side of the stadium was more in the shade. The northeast side of the stadium was just getting beaten by the sun.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people were kind of on a hill.
Speaker 1: On the north west side of the stadium, and a ton of people wound up filling the north side bleachers, and everyone there, almost every single person there was either family of a competitor or coaches of a competitor. There were maybe there was a bigger representation of Buchanan High school kids, and a lot of Buchanan kids were volunteering for the event, but pretty much everyone there was there because they were either coaching a competitor or family members of a competitor, and so as a result, this was a relatively a political crowd. No one was there for the ab Hernandez controversy other than maybe a few scattered people in the crowd, and I talked with a bunch of people, different coaches and parents about you know, hey, you know I'm here covering this for Power Talk.
Speaker 2: You know, do you have any thoughts on the ab Hernandez thing?
Speaker 1: And no one really wanted to go on Very few people anyway, wanted to go on the record.
Speaker 2: Because they were like, you know, my kids competing in this.
Speaker 1: If I give a quote or something, that's going to distract from my kid, Like, you know, that's not what I'm here for. But and I will note the crowd seemed mostly supportive of Hernandez when Hernandez's name was first announced for I think the first event Hernandez did on Friday was the high jump. There was a smattering of applause, of kind of pointed applause, and I would imagine pretty much every liberal person there wanted to oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be very vocal about this.
Speaker 1: And you have to remember this was kind of a cross section of California. This is not a cross section of America. It was a cross section of California. This was a California state wide event. So and it's track and field, which probably draws a bit more left. I'd say than other sports. I mean, this wasn't a high school football crown necessarily, although there are a lot of African American families who I don't think have the same cultural sensitivity on these things as sort of.
Speaker 2: Lily white liberal families do.
Speaker 1: But talking with people off the record quietly beside, a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Were willing to say, yeah, it's kind of ridiculous, this is unfair. I mean, obviously it's unfair.
Speaker 1: I mean, and people were like a lot of people I talked with were like very reasonable about it. I'm like, you know, I don't blame the kid, but yeah, it's obviously unfair for competition, Like that's a boy, Like he can do stuff boys can do, and it just doesn't make sense to have them competing against girls. Now, when we return, I want to talk about the championship Day on Saturday and Hernandez's results and sort of my thoughts on basically how abe Hernandez is the twenty twenties Danny Almonte for those of you who don't remember the fourteen year old who was blown fastballs by twelve year olds in the two thousand and one Little League World Series. I'll explain when I returned this is the John Gerardi Show. So what happened on Saturday at the California State High School Track and Field Championships where a boy, ab Hernandez competed against girls in the long jump, high jump, and triple jump. Well, he put on a dominant display against girls. He tied for first place in the high jump with a height of five foot seven. He got second place in the long jump, and he got first place in the triple jump, going about almost two feet about one foot nine something inches farther the closest girl competitor. And this was where it was only watching him that I really sort of began to understand and see. I mean, obviously I knew the whole time it was unfair, but I began to appreciate the unfairness in a more distinct way. Explain why I want to talk specifically about the high jump. Up to that point, high jump had been Hernandez's worst event of the three events that he participates in. High long jump, triple jump, triple jumps is best event in the high jump. And I ran this by people who know more about track and field than I did, but even I noticed it. The girl competitors were in the in the Basically, you take a bit of a running start. You go in kind of almost like a semi circle up until you get to the front of the cushion in front of which is the bar that's hanging horizontally. You pump your arms, you gather yourself, you bend your knees, and then you spring. And your arms have a lot to do with your jump. How you pump and gat how pump your arms, gather your arms crouched to to spring as high as you can. Your arms have a lot to do with your success in the high jump. And I could see with the girls they were using your arms the way you would imagine they were hands and fists.
Speaker 2: Pumping. I mean, it made sense.
Speaker 1: Hernandez was doing it kind of differently from all the girls in the all the other girls in the competition, all of the girls, not other girls. He's almost like it's almost like prancing, and his with his hand palms sort of flat, not like pumping, like doing it in a more almost feminine. He's running in an almost more comically effeminate way than the girls who are running to gather up themselves for this jump. Because they're girls, they don't care if they look feminine, and I almost wonder if he's like doing this affected thing because he's trying so.
Speaker 2: Hard to give off the appearance of being a girl.
Speaker 1: And maybe I'm over analyzing this, but his form was definitely different from the girls. And yet he gets a jump of five feet seven inches to equal the best girl in spite of the fact that his form is bad. Why well, he can make up for the inadequacies of his form because he's a boy, because he's got bigger, stronger muscles. And this it led me to think of Danny Almonte. When I was a kid. Two thousand and one, there's this big scandal at the Little League World Series. Little League World Series is for twelve years old and under, and a team from the Bronx was dominating with this picture that everyone's like, this kid's a phenom, this kid's gonna be.
Speaker 2: An amazing picture. Maybe he'll go pro. Danny al Monty, this Dominican kid from New York. Wow, he's just he's dominating the Little League World Series.
Speaker 1: And then a couple of years later it turns out, oh, Danny al Monty is actually fourteen years old. His Dominican birth certificate was fudge was dicey. He was actually fourteen, and what did that do well? It immediately showed that Daniel Monty was not a very impressive athlete. Yeah, plenty of fourteen year olds can blow fastballs. By twelve year olds, it's not an indication of being anything special. And that's what Aby Hernandez is. He is the Danny al Monty of the twenty twenties. He's not actually a very good high jumper. If you compare him against boys, there were at least in the southern section of CIF, which is most of the Los Angeles area excluding the city of Los Angeles, in D three high schools, there were at least twenty boys who jumped higher than Hernandez has ever jumped. He's just kind of a mediocre athlete. And yet at the metal ceremony, here he is with the two other girls he tied for first place with standing in front of them. The symbolism was hard to miss. That'll do it, John Dirolady show, see you next time on Power Talk.