Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI Am six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's time already, yep, time to get up, get your day started. It is five o'clock straight up this Friday, March twenty eight. This is your wake up call.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us either on the radio or anytime on the iHeartRadio app. Big day yesterday, the Dodgers five to four win over the Tigers. Day Oscar Hernandez a three one run shot. We needed that. That was nice. And then show Hey did not disappoint well. He was up first, he didn't get on base on the first inning. Everybody's like eh, But then he hit a home run later in the game. So it was a great night at Dodger Stadium. I'm gonna talk more about that in a little bit. And also it was very special for one one couple who basically spent their honeymoon at Dodger Stadium. Kind of fun. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour news room. Heavy medals in Santa Monica Bay are threatening marine life. Heel. The bay has released water quality tests that show elevated levels of beryllium, copper, chromium, nickel, lead, and other harmful heavy metals and nutrients. Following the Pacific Palisades fire, The city of La assued a group of property owners for driving up prices following the wildfires in January. The group is accused of price gouging to the tune of sixty two million dollars. The La City County City Attorney's office says they're also accused of violating short term rental laws. Vice President Vance and his wife are on their way to visit an American military base in Greenland. They left early this morning, with President Trump having a site set on acquiring it. What kind of reception can they expect. We're going to check in with ABC's Molly Nagle. She's going to tell us in just a few minutes. Actually that's coming up at Oh. Now, you know what. We're not talking to Molly Nagel about that. We're talking to her about something else. But we're talking to our White House correspondent John Decker about the Vance's visiting Greenland. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Also a new show that takes a look behind the curtains in Hollywood and an AI robot goes rogue. What could possibly go wrong? We're going to find out with ABC's Will Gans. That's coming up at about five point fifty, So lots of head on wake up call. Let's get right into it and get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Her Mosa Beach has banned all camping in public areas. Mayor Dean Francois say is a Supreme Court decision last year has empowered the city to better regulate homeless camps. He says the ordinance adopted by the city council this week allows for more enforcement options to help keep the city safe and sanitary. La Mayor Bass has rushed to a federal court hearing after a judge blasted Or for not showing up.
Speaker 3: Hearing was over the court mandated audit of the city's homeless spending and the LA Homeless Services Authority. Judge David Carter says he was upset the mayor wasn't there, but she showed up after that. Tongue lashing LASSA CEO Belisia Adams Kellum was a no show out of town, which the judge called unacceptable. The judge said poor oversight and bad accounting has dogged homeless programs for years and something needs to change. Carter says he plans to hold another hearing on the matter next month. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News healthcare providers in Koreatown and Northridge have agreed to pay over sixty two million dollars to settle claims they submitted false diagnoses to get higher Medicare advantage payments. Sole Medical Group and Renaissance Imaging will pay for their role in the scheme. Settlement stems from a whistleblower case where a former worker exposed the fraud. The government claims that between twenty fifteen and twenty twenty one, Sole Medical Group submitted fake diagnosis for spinal conditions patients did not have. La Metro's board of directors says it wants more women working on the transit agency's construction projects. Board member and La County Supervisor Lindsay Horvaz says Metro should do whatever it can to increase what it calls its equity and hiring goals.
Speaker 5: We do have some latitude and even maybe I would say an obligation as a public agency to combat what the court referred to as private prejudice.
Speaker 1: Horvaz says women who might want to work in construction face challenges like childcare opportunities. Metro's staff is expected to report on its updated efforts by the end of the year. Let's say good morning too, kfi's White House correspondent John deck Er. Look at that, John, I got your intro right this time.
Speaker 6: Well, you typically get it right. Amy. Good to be with you this morning. How are you doing today?
Speaker 1: Doing great? It's a great day. We're basking in the glow of a Dodgers' home opening win.
Speaker 6: So that's all that three and oh good start, good start to the season for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the Vances are headed to Greenland today. First it was Usha JD's wife, but then the Vice President decided he was going to go to Why did that change? Do we know?
Speaker 6: Well, it has a lot to do with the way the visit was perceived by the people of Greenland and the Prime Minister of Greenland. And now that the Vice President is leading this delegation, which also includes the National Security Advisor Mike Waltz, and President Trump's Energy secretary. They will only make one stop. They're going to visit the one and only US military base in Greenland. It's on the northeastern coast of Greenland. And then after they make that visit, they're coming back. It's a day trip. In fact, within the past hour amy that plane with the Vice President and the delegation left Andrews Air Force Base. It's a five and a half hour flight. So after that flight, after the visit, they come back to the US and they arrive back in Washington late tonight.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I was going to ask you, So they're going to the Space Force Bace. Are they going to be met by anyone in Greenland? Or are they just going and they'll be met by US military people and tour the base.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's US military officials. It's not an official visit. I don't think you're going to see a welcome at the airport by Greenland's prime minister. They really haven't taken kindly to some of the things that President Trump has said, his desire to have Greenland a part of US territory. Greenland's prime minister is not interested in that. Denmark's Prime minister. Denmark essentially owns Greenland. It's a territory of Denmark. They're not interested in selling Greenland. And you may not know this, but I'll remind you the US once had seventeen seventeen military installations on the island of Greenland. That was during the height of World War Two and also during the Cold War. But the US has withdrawn all of those military installations. And perhaps maybe that's the endgame for a for President Trump to establish more US military installations on that island, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've talked before about what could the endgame be because he comes in he says, hey, we're taking over Greenland. We need it. But like, can he take over Greenland? Who's going to let him take it? I mean, we're not going to invade it with the military, are we? I Mean, there's so many questions.
Speaker 6: Can imagine that in the sense that Denmark is a NATO ally And I can't think of any instance in which a NATO ally essentially took over territory from another NATO ally. This is I think, you know one of those instances where do I think that Greenland will become a US territory within the next four years of the Trump administration. No, I don't, But is it possible to see more US military installations established on that island? Absolutely, and I think Greenland would be.
Speaker 7: Open to that.
Speaker 6: That is something that is a doable thing for President Trump and for the Vice president making this visit today. And you know, it's not like there's this big clamor in Washington, d C. For the US to have Greenland as part of US territory.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to ask you a question that I don't know if you have an answer to, but I'll ask anyway.
Speaker 6: I'll try my best.
Speaker 1: Okay, when we go onto a place like Greenland, where you said we used to have seventeen bases, we have one. Now if we go in and we put a base in, do we pay them to be able to be there or is it sort of a you know, hey will help protect you if you let us put up a base here.
Speaker 6: Well, let's talk about where the United States has military basis. So you know, we have a several US military basis on the island of Japan, for instance, And yes, the US provides compensation to Japan for having those military bases in Japan. The same thing would apply to military installations that could potentially be established in Greenland. And as it relates to the other reason why President Trump desires Greenland, and that's its natural mineral resources. We'll see if some sort of deal comes out ultimately of these visits that we're seeing being made by US officials. You know, a few months ago it was Donald J. Trump Junior who visited Greenland said it was just a tourist visit. But I think the message was made loud and clear that he was representing his father, who of course has spoken quite often, including during his address to Congress, of making Greenland a part of US territory.
Speaker 1: Okay, cafi's White House correspondent, John Decker, thanks as always for the information. We'll talk again soon.
Speaker 6: Thanks Amy Bright, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A powerful earthquake has hit Thailand and mean Mar.
Speaker 8: The US Geological Survey says the magnitude seven point seven quake hit around midday local time near Mandalay in central me and Mar. It was followed by a powerful aftershock. There's been no word yet of damage in Mandalay. But some six hundred miles to the south. The earthquake had buildings swaying in the city of Bangkok, where panic residents were rushing out into the streets.
Speaker 1: Kafi's Michael Kassner says video posted on social media shows the collapse of a high rise under construction in Bangkok. Rescue workers say the rubble at the construction site is still too unstable for them to try to find people missing and maybe trapped underneath. Thai Defense says three people were killed, ninety so far are missing seven point seven. Wow, that's a big one. The Environmental Protection Agency is setting up a portal to allow polluters to request exemptions from Clean Air Act rules. The legislation allows President Trump to exempt polluters from complying with regulations if he deems the rules are based on technology that doesn't yet exist. The EPA posted this week that it's set up an email that allows companies to more easily request those exemptions. There's an exodus of Democrats in California State Assembly from x.
Speaker 9: California State Assembly Speaker Robert Revis and fifty seven other Democratic members have announced no more official state account communications on X. Revas's office says it's one of the largest exits of elected officials. In his final post there, Revis said hate speeches everywhere on X, the company has no accountability, there's a flood of misinformation from fake accounts, and he doesn't think taxpayer resources should go to X. Citing owner Elon musk Vivis said democracy depends on impartial information, not the shifting whims of one billionaire. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: The San Jose City Council's approved a program allowing the city's fire department to charge for emergency medical services starting in January. Patients will be built four hundred twenty seven dollars for treatment, though uninsured residents may qualify for reduced fees or a waiver through a compassionate billing program. San Jose joins twenty three other cities in California, including San Francisco and Napa, that charge first responder fees. King Charles has canceled his public appearances for today after a trip to the hospital. Charles was briefly hospitalized because of side effects from his cancer treatment. He was diagnosed last year and has been undergoing a treatment for a while now. Buckingham Palace says Charles spent a short time under hospital observation yesterday afternoon, but has returned home. Okay, we're just over a week away from the Wiggle Waggle Walk in Run for Pasadena Humane, and I want to say thanks to everybody who's joined the team so far. We've got a nice team going, and also want to appeal to your generosity. We were we need your money. We've got a goal of ten thousand dollars and we're not quite there yet, but I think we can make it, and we can make it by you donating to Pasadena Humane or joining the team and coming to walk with us. We would love to have you come and walk. Is what we're doing, is we're taking a walk around the Rose Bowl on Sunday, April six. That's at Brookside Park. The event starts at eight, so you don't even have to get up super early on Sunday morning. The walk and run starts at nine along with the walk. When there's going to be so many dogs out there, it's such a it's just like a happy day.
Speaker 7: It's very communal, very fun.
Speaker 1: Very chill. Yeah, And if you want to run it, God bless you. I won't be running it. I'll be walking, but it's a great way to start the day. And we've got vendors and they've all kinds of great samples for your pups, and there's some food trucks, and there's training demonstrations, and if you are one of those people who loves to dress up your dog, there's a dog costume contest. Last year they had some just really fun costumes, so it's always fun to watch that. We've got a KFI booth and we've got KFI exclusive swag bags and that's limited to the first three hundred people who stop by. But if you can join the team, we are called the wake Up Call Wigglers.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: A lot, but and all you have to do is go to our website kfiam six forty dot com slash wiggle. That's where you sign up to join the wake Up Call Wigglers. If you'd like to make a donation, you can make it to the wake Up Call Wigglers. Make it to me, make it to Pasadena Humane, doesn't matter. We're trying for ten thousand dollars and we need your help to get there. And I can tell you that Pasadena Humane has been helping animals, thousands of them every year and then, as we've talked about so many times with the UH with of fires in Altadena, they have really stepped up to help and you know, have helped thousands of animals, rescuing them, giving them a home until their families can keep them, treating them, give you know, their little burns on their paws and stuff. I mean, it's just been it's been so heartwarming to see how Pasadena has stepped in during a very heartbreaking time. Anyway, that's good karma.
Speaker 9: That's just really good karma.
Speaker 1: I know, right, They're good people. Wiggle Waggle Walk coming up April sixth, so just over a week away. Here's how you donate or join our team kfiam six forty dot com slash wiggle. We need you help to hit our goal. Thank you. The city of Hermosa Beach has banned camping in all public areas. City council made the decision this week, saying it's about keeping the city a safe and sanitary environment for all. It's the latest city in southern California to band camping in all public spaces to combat homelessness. As La Metro Board of Directors are moving forward with a plan to get more women into construction jobs in a unanimous vote. The board has instructed its staff to expand initiatives to help women and meet equity and hiring goals as the city prepares for global events like the Olympics, Super Bowl, and Soccer World Championships, along with other big projects. A federal judge is ordered Trump administration officials to keep messages sent on the Signal app that were accidentally shared with a journalist. Judge James Bosberg ruled that the agencies must preserve the texts related to the attack on Yemen, and advocacy group sued, claiming Department secretaries and intelligence chiefs ignored federal records laws by using the auto delete features on the app. Let's say good morning now to ABC's White House reporter Mollie Nagel. Mollie, New York Congresswoman Elise Stefanik was going to be the ambassador to the UN, but that's off the table. What happened?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yesterday, President Trump pulling a Stephonics nomination to serve as you an ambassador. He pointed to the very narrow majority that Republicans hold in the House. He says they need every House Republican seat and with a tight majority. Quote, I don't want to take a chance on anyone else running for Aleasa's seat, so really pointing to the votes there and that they'll need every vote they can get to pass his legislative priorities through the Congress.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think when he first started nominating people, people were like, oh, you're cutting the Republican majority. Ope, you're cutting the Republican majority. So, I mean it almost makes sense. It's just too bad that she kind of had to step down from her leadership position and go through the process that before he kind of went, yeah, that's not such a great idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, you're exactly right. This tighte majority in the House not a new reality for the administration or Republicans because they knew as he continued to pull these members and he didn't pull that many, but it shows just how tight the margins were to begin with, that there were those big concerns. And you do have two special elections coming up in Florida as a result of Donald Trump's nominations, including one to fill National Security Advisor Mike Waltz's seat. You know, both of those races are favored for Republicans, but in those districts are you know, districts. But there's been some concern about Waltz's race, in particular the Republicans running to replace him. There's some have race concerns about his fundraising and campaigning compared to his Democratic opponent. So something that Republicans are likely keeping a very close eye on. And the reality is with Stephonic's seat, if she were to be confirmed, it could have been left vacant for quite some time, which could have posed a real problem for Mike Johnson as he tries to pass this agenda through the House and onto the Senate.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so with that now off the table, do we know, has there been any hints or indications of who may be named as the UN ambassador?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: Interestingly, President Trump did not name who he would want to be you an ambassador after pulling stephanics nomination. You know, he says there are others who can do a good job at the United Nations, but he doesn't say who exactly that would be.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're gonna have to wait and stay on that. And then as far as she goes, she stepped down from a leadership position to Yeah, so what happens to her next I'm imagining that's been filled already or did that did that stay open for a while?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, this is this is going to be something interesting to kind of watch play out. We have a little bit of a leadership snafu here. Stefana gave up that leadership position as part of this nomination, but both President Trump and House Speaker Mike Johnson said that she will be part of leadership, but not exactly clear what role she's going to have because she was replaced to the House Republican Conference Chair is currently Representative Lisa McLean from Michigan. Sources familiar with the mattertell ABC that McLean doesn't plan on resigning from her roles, so it's not clear where Stephanic will land in all this. They could create a new position for her, but nothing has been formally decided yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would imagine that this, like you just said, McLean is like, uh no, I'm not stepping down because they obviously want to get assigned to more powerful positions within Congress as they navigate being a Congress member. So maybe maybe they'll come to fisticuffs. Is that what they call it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll have to see how this plays out. You know, they could following Democrats footsteps and create a new position, you know, perhaps assistant to the speaker or something like that. But it's hard to know yet just what exactly is going to happen here, because I don't think people were necessarily expecting this to happen before yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, ABC's Molly Nagel. Hopefully we'll talk to you again soon when we find out what's coming next for Miss Stephonic.
Speaker 5: That's great, Thank you, thank.
Speaker 1: You so much. Records on preparations and the response to the fire in Pacific Palisades in January have yet to be made public. The La Times says the fire Department, the mayor, and the representatives have not have yet to provide answers to some basic questions, and the fire department has denied dozens of public records requests from journalists and others related to its handling of the fire, including nine to one one calls, dispatch logs, and internal communications about preparations for the extreme winds. People in the Palisades have criticized the lack of transparency. A toddler in Riverside diagnosed with measles that we told you about earlier this week doesn't have it. The two year old's mom took her to the hospital after she became sick and developed a rash. She was diagnosed with measles, but then a test from Riverside County Public Health turned up negative for the virus. The cause of the child's symptoms remain undetermined. The mom says the little girl is vaccinated. The bodies of Gene Hackman and his wife, Betsy Arakawa, remain unclaimed more than a month after their deaths.
Speaker 10: The medical Examiner in New Mexico tells TMZ that no one has stepped forward to claim Gene and Betsy's bodies. They were discovered at their Santa Fe home on February twenty six, along with one of their dogs. Officials determined Betsy died of hantavirus on February twelfth, and Gene died a week later from heart disease and advanced Alzheimer's. Officials tell TMZ it's possible the family is still making funeral arrangements and that's why they haven't claimed the bodies. Hackman's children released a joint statement saying we will miss him sorely and are devastated by the loss how the Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: The woman who murdered Tehano singer singer Selena has been denied parole. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice says Yolanda Saldivar did not pass the parole review process. Saldivar was the president of Selena's fan club and manager of Selena's clothing boutiques when she killed the music star in nineteen ninety five. Hard to believe it was thirty years ago. Selena has found out Saldivar was embezzling from her. Saldivar is now sixty four. Her next parole review date is in five years. The newest edition to the Hunger Games series is surpassing expectations. In its first week out, Suzanne Collins Sunrise on the Reaping sold more than one point five million English copies around the world. That's twice as many as The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes sold in twenty twenty, and three times as many copies as Mocking Jay, which sold in twenty ten. The newest installment follows hey Mitch Abernathy, played by Woody Harrelson in the films, as he competes twenty four years before the events of the original trilogy. I am such a Hunger Games band. What a great idea for a movie concept. Yeah yeah, well yeah, people run around killing each other. It's wonderful. They just do it. No, I love the beautiful thing that character. Okay, it's time for Dodger Baseball. In case you missed it, Opening Day or open The home opener was yesterday and the Dodgers one. Well, guess what, They're going to hit the field again tonight. The Dodgers take on the Detroit Tigers tonight. The first pitch goes out at seven o'clock and you can listen to every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports Go Blue. LA County Sheriff's deputy has been gone clearing an abandoned RV parking lot in the city of Industry that was taken over by dozens of squatters. Thirty five to forty people were ordered to leave the site yesterday after a judge issued an eviction order earlier in the week. The actual eviction deadline is next week. Elon Musk says he doesn't think he's going to be working at the Department of Government Efficiency much longer. Speaking on Fox News, Musks that he believes DOGE will reach its goal of cutting government waste and fraud within his one hundred and thirty day mandate. He believes he can cut the deficit by a trillion dollars within that time timeframe started in November. The deadline to submit disaster relief applications is coming up pretty quick. If you were affected by the wildfires in January, you have until midnight on Monday to apply for state and federal money. Unemployment, financial, small business, and debris removal programs will close enrollments Monday at midnight at six poh five. It's Handle on the news with Chris Merrill. Some senior Trump officials have been ordered to keep those signal group chats, which I think is really funny because they're out there everywhere.
Speaker 8: Keep those things.
Speaker 1: Why do you have to keep them on your text? They're posted on the Atlantic's website. But anyway, Chris Merril's going to tell you about that.
Speaker 3: It's time for Dodger baseball.
Speaker 1: And last night it was ice Cube that did the famous It's time for Dodger Baseball. It was so cool. So it's opening night and so they have lots of pomp and circumstance because the first game of the season. It's a beautiful day. And I thought when we were talking yesterday, I was like, oh my god, it's going to stay cloudy all day, just like it did on Wednesday. But the clouds broke and we had blue sky for a while over the stadium, and so it was just really great. And then because of course they won the World Series, they did a whole big ceremony and ice Cube comes out in this amazing Dodger blue Is it a low rider or is it just a classic car? Classic car for sure, classic car, Absolutely beautiful, And he's got the trophy, the trophy sitting next to him, and so he comes and drives out onto the field. I'm like, how much would I pay to drive out on Dodgers Field? But and it was so that was very cool, and he hands the trophy off to Magic Johnson and Billy Jean King is there, and then Josh Grobn's things the national anthem, which is sort of becoming a tradition and they were saying, hey, you know we won the series last year. When you sang the national anthem on opening change son't changes. Yeah, So that was amazing and he did an amazing job. And then of course the flyover and I think it was Faighteen's I'm not sure. I didn't check what kind of jets they were, but it was four of them and they go screaming over the stadium and I actually caught it and put it up on my Instagram. So if you get a chance, go see it. The stadium goes crazy, goes wild, and it was. It was wonderful. So it was a great day at Dodger Stadium, looking forward to many more games. Opening Day was extra special for one couple, two big time Dodgers fans, Ramsey's Ramses and Hannah Martinez Montes, got married on Wednesday, and they asked their friends and family to help their honeymoon dream come true, which would be a trip to Dodger Stadium for Opening Day. Gay if I's Michael Monks talked with the newlyweds right before the game, what does it mean to honeymoon at Dodger Stadium?
Speaker 7: Yes, well, want to play this? It just stays sacred.
Speaker 11: So like we have had so many beautiful memories there, just in every single.
Speaker 7: Seat they could possibly think of, and it just it.
Speaker 11: Feels a little bit more close to home, just to be at some places so important for us.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Dodger Stadium feels like home.
Speaker 7: And that's it.
Speaker 12: It's just you get eat at the best feeling. It's a it's a place of comfort, not as stressful as going to Disneyland, you know, or something, planning a whole vacation. And like we said, you know, we're here in downtown LA.
Speaker 7: That's where we got married, here in the arts district.
Speaker 12: And so we're in our hotel and we're going to check out and then we're just gonna eat some food, get ready to.
Speaker 7: Go to the game.
Speaker 11: A Dodger dog and a Michelala sounds so much better than like so good, that's out.
Speaker 7: It's a random city.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that is my dinner.
Speaker 1: So what kind of season do you expect from the Dodgers this year?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, it's gonna be fantastic.
Speaker 11: Even last year I had this like in clean up, something big is gonna happen with so many stars coming in.
Speaker 6: And now I am.
Speaker 7: So excited to see what will happen.
Speaker 11: I don't see anything like if there's not going to be a world series, there's gonna be fantastic games. So we want to go to as many as possible. So that's definitely in our plans.
Speaker 1: But we're so.
Speaker 12: Gad we've got a killer team and Dodger fans are unlike any other fans and.
Speaker 11: So yeah, and seem like so many people just coming from around the world just to be here for these games. Just we're walking through Grand Central Market because we also took our engagement pictures in there, and they we see everybody from like all walks of live in Dodger gear taking pictures in front of a show. Hey, honeymural it's awesome. So I feel like the energy in the stadium is going to be so so elevated, and we're just excited to be there.
Speaker 1: Well, we were excited to have him there. What a great way to spend your honeymoon. That's so fun. And Michael Monks is also he's going to share more of their story on his show this weekend right here on KFI Believe. That's Saturday night, right, yep, yep, okay, thanks Michael Monks for that and again if you want to check out the flyover from Dodger Stadium yesterday from my vantage point, it's at Amy K. King. Also it's on the Conway Show Instagram, So if you want to check out either. One time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney donah Ho. Good morning, Courtney. We had a rough day if you were a carmaker yesterday, Oh, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Good morning. And by the way, I love all the baseball talk. I'm a Mets fan. We lost yesterday. Sorry, I know, I know.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Taking a look at yesterday shares of General motors for Jeetmaker Stalantis, they all took a hit because President Trump pledged those twenty five percent tariffs on auto imports. So overall we saw the Dow dropping one hundred and fifty five points in the s and P five hundred fell three tenths of a percent. Now, one thing that's interesting. It's going to be really hard for a lot of people, especially those who want to buy something on the low end of the market, younger people wanting to get their first car, because car prices are ready climbed out of reach for a lot of folks. But many of the least expensive models from for example, General Motors, for Kia, Hyundai.
Speaker 4: They're all being built outside of the US.
Speaker 2: There are twenty models on the market price below thirty thousand dollars, and Cox Automotive says at least half of.
Speaker 4: Them will be severely hit by tariffs.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a big number. That'll be interesting and it'll be interesting to see. Who knows everything could change by Tuesday.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And again that's why we're not seeing more significant losses overall in the markets, because some people are saying, well, you know, is this really going to happen, because we've seen things roll all out, pull back all over the place. One thing that the markets does do really like certainty, and we haven't really had that in a very long time.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we were talking about, that's why they're going up and down so much. It's just there's that uncertainty. Is it gonna be good? Is it gonna be bad? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's how I feel every morning when I wake up.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to the next thing. And Lululemon says shoppers are not spending a whole lot.
Speaker 2: No, and they're visiting stores a lot less often too, something that people should be worried about a bit so shares of the yoga war retailer. They are tumbling in the pre market. They delivered a disappointing financial outlook for the year, so there's a couple of issues going on. The company's been dealing with changing fashion trends, so you see a lot of people, especially gen Z, wearing a lot looser styles. Remember the rage of the skinny jeans only a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Now this now every pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now everybody's wearing these looser styles. But they're known for form fitting clothes. That's been the brand's hallmark for some time. So they're also trying to make money in other ways. They've been expanding their product mix. They've been adding gear for sports like golf and tennis. So they're trying to turn the ship, and it's always a good thing to try to turn the ship early before things get a little bit rougher later.
Speaker 4: In Nike one of those examples of that, Gret Well.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about that because, speaking of changing trends, Nike is changing things up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because well, the Nike Dunk was once the world's hottest sneaker.
Speaker 4: We had the black and white Panda Dunk.
Speaker 2: We had collaborations with lots of musicians, Trafs Scott for example. It became a multi billion dollar franchise. But now demand for the shoe has slowed down significantly. It was too much of a good thing for a very long time for Nike. So now they have to change their strategy. They've been losing when it comes to sales. They had to bring in a new CEO, they had to lay off folks. So what they're doing is they're dialing back their dependence on the lifestyle sneaker line ones you wear out on the street, like the Air Force ones, the Air Jordan's and obviously those dunks, and they're turning the focus back to the athlete. They want to steer toward performance shoes used for sports and also training.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I think you know that's probably not a bad idea. I think sometimes businesses they go, oh, this is great, let's do more instead of just really sticking to their core of what makes them.
Speaker 2: Great exactly exactly, And sometimes you really need to read the room. And that's what Lulu Lemon's trying to do. Now, that's what Nike missed out on.
Speaker 1: With their old CEO.
Speaker 2: They didn't read the room of what is kind of going on that everybody was getting.
Speaker 4: Sick of the Nike dunks.
Speaker 2: And you can't bring out a shoe in a bazillion different colors and just continue to make it stick.
Speaker 4: So a lot of these companies you have to be ahead of the trend in order to succeed.
Speaker 1: All right, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thanks so much. We'll get in your business again on Monday, same time, same place, right here on wake up call, exactly. Enjoy the weekend, all right you two three people have been killed in ninety or missing following a massive earthquake in Southeast Asia. The seven point seven earthquake hit around midday in central me and mar The quake was felt for hundreds of miles. It did damage as far away as Bangkok. Tie Emergency officials say dozens of workers are trapped under piles of debris. The Trump Administration's provoking hundreds of student visas. The secretar Area of State Marco Rubio yesterday said that three hundred or more student visas are being revoked as the White House targets students who express their support of Palestine. Rubio called these students lunatics and said his team is working on repealing more student visas every day. A garage in Huntington Beach has burned up because of an electric vehicle charging system malfunction. Huntington Beach Fire posted on Instagram Wednesday that only the garage burned no one got hurt, but it also offered up some tips for EV owners and would be EV buyers that include using a qualified electrician to install a dedicated circuit for the charger. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Willgans. Will this looks like the kind of show I love. It's the show about what goes on kind of behind the scenes in Hollywood.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right.
Speaker 13: It's called The Studio from Apple TV, and the first two episodes are streaming now and they are so.
Speaker 7: Much fun to watch.
Speaker 13: I mean, if you like Hollywood even a little bit, this show is hilarious. There are so many celebrities in it, like I have no idea. I mean, Seth Rogan must just be friends with everybody. Because Charlie Sarron has one line in episode one and that's it, and then she disappears forever. But it's it's action packed with cameos, and it's all about Seth Rogan becoming the studio head. And in episode one, he's tasked with building you know, basically the follow up to the Barbie movie, but it's going to be about the Kool Aid Man, so he has to find it a screenwriter and a director, and you know, he ends up talking with Martin Scorsesey about making this movie and it's just it's hilarious. Catherine O'Hara is also in it as well, like Barnholtz, and yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Just had a ton of fun watching this. And then, you know, if you have any.
Speaker 13: Interest in celebrity culture at all, it's almost like, okay, keep your eyes open because there's another star, and there's another star, and there's another star. So yeah, episodes one and two are out now on Apple TV.
Speaker 1: That reminds me a little bit of Only Murders in the Building, where they're not so much cameo appearances. But I I didn't watch it for a long time, so I kind of binged it recently, and I was amazed at how many like kind of pretty big name celebrities they've had on that show.
Speaker 13: I mean, that is one of my all time favorite shows. Yeah, and that one, I guess it's just like anyone who's anyone is like, would I like the chance to work with Steve Martin and Martin short.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'll do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And you know this other one, I guess, you know, Seth Rogan must be pretty well liked because everybody's jumping on board with this new show, and you know, in the previews for episodes to come, you've got zach Efron and just everybody. So it's a fun watch for sure.
Speaker 1: I saw the trailer for it and I was like, Oh, that looks like the studio tour at Warner Brothers that I just took, because they're like on the backlots and stuff.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was like, oh, I want to go take more studio tours. They are fun. So okay, let's see what else do we have? Oh, also on the stream something called Companion. What is that?
Speaker 13: Okay, so this is like a thriller comedy, I guess, like a horror comedy.
Speaker 7: It's, you know, one of those ones.
Speaker 13: Remember that movie Megan about the robot that goes rogue and starts like you know, and it's a little funny but it's also a little scary. It's sort of like that. So this is about Jack Quaid who goes away for like a couple's weekend at a lake house and the girl that he has brought with him.
Speaker 7: You find out, and this.
Speaker 13: Is a slight spoiler, but it's you know, you find out basically that she is like an AI robot. So this movie is taking place in the not so distant future. But something happens and you know, she sort of goes rogue a little.
Speaker 7: Bit, and then it sort of becomes.
Speaker 13: A battle of him versus her, but you sort of are like, wait a minute, who's the bad guy here?
Speaker 7: Is it her or is it him? And it just goes off from there.
Speaker 13: So if you don't like scary and you don't like blood then don't watch this one. But if you are, yeah, if you are looking for a little bit of a thriller, I had a great time watching this movie. You know, it's short and it's streaming on demand so you can watch it at home.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, and it's a movie. Okay, so you said I think it's funny because you just said it's scary and it's bloody, but it's also funny and it thriller.
Speaker 13: I mean, I do love when movies can kind of genre bend like that, you know, like, yeah, so, but I had a great time watching this one.
Speaker 1: Okay, And if you want to go to theaters, Naomi Wats has a new one this weekend.
Speaker 7: Yes, with Bill Murray.
Speaker 13: So this is called The Friend, and it's based on the best selling novel and it's about Bill Murray plays this author who this is.
Speaker 7: Not a spoiler.
Speaker 13: It's like, you know, the first five minutes of the movie, who passes away and he leaves his great Dane named Apollo to his best friend who's played by yeah, played by Naomi Watson. So you know, it's sort of about her. She lives in this tiny New York City apartment.
Speaker 7: The dog is huge. He's like sleeping on the bed from night one.
Speaker 13: So it's sort of about her navigating life with this new dog while also dealing with her grief from the loss of her best friend. It's obviously bring your tissues. It's very touching, but it's also funny. And you know, Bill Murray and Naomi Watts are two of the best in the bids, so it's very well acted.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I loved it. I saw it yesterday in theaters.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then I know that you haven't seen this because I asked Sarah. She's the one who books all of the ABC people for us. But I want to check this one out the penguin lessons. Have you heard anything about it?
Speaker 7: So it's so funny that you bring that up, you know.
Speaker 13: I am like constantly My number one book marked website is Rotten Tomatoes. Like, I'm constantly refreshing the scores to see how things are doing. And everybody's talking about this, so I, yes, I've heard of it. No, I haven't seen it, But if you end up seeing it, I want a full report, you.
Speaker 7: Know, slide into my DMS. I want to know everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to It stars Steve Coogan, who I love him as an actor. You don't see him very often anymore, but I love him. And it just looks like a very cool story and it stars a penguin, for God's sake, so it's got.
Speaker 13: To be good, right, exactly, exactly, all right, So we've got the Great Dane on the big screen, the penguin. Yeah, I guess it must be a big season for animal actors.
Speaker 7: Good for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, let's reconvene next week and do this all over again.
Speaker 7: Sounds like a plan.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you so much. ABC's willgans have a good one? I love that. Oh, things to do, shows to watch? I love that. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Department of Justice is investigating the La kind of Sheriff's Department for possibly violating people's gun rights.
Speaker 9: The DOJ says LA's Sheriff's Department may be violating the Second Amendment with excessive fees and wait times for concealed carry permits, and it's investigation is part of a review of restricted firearm laws in California and other states. The Sheriff's department says it respects and upholds the Second Amendment and blames delays onlimited staff and a backlog of applications. The La Times quotes law professors who say they've never seen such an investigation, and one says it's seems like a culture war issue amid targeting of liberal jurisdictions by the Trump administration. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: Two women in Rancho Mirage have been arrested for allegedly extorting one hundred thousand dollars from an illegal immigrant. Riverside County deputies arrested if At Lopez and Bertha Gasso for threatening to have the man deported if he didn't pay them the money. Because of all the money involved, and authorities are seeking a white collar crime enhancement in the case. Addicted to TV Yes, the TV Academy has an event for you. The organization behind the Emmy Awards plans to hold Televerse. It's billed as an unparalleled immersive festival experience for both industry insiders and fans of television. The events being held August fourteenth through the sixteenth at the jd W. Marriott at LA Live in downtown La. Yep, that sounds like something right at my alley. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFII slight chance of rain this morning, becoming sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the lo to mid sixties at the beaches Metro LA and in the Orange County, sixties in the Valley's upper sixties in the Inland Empire, fifties and sixties in the Antelope Valley, clouds forming again tonight and Tomorrow morning, and then partly cloudy for the afternoon. Highs will be in the sixties. Mostly cloudy, with highs in the sixties on Sunday, and then a slight chance of rain on Sunday night and Monday. It's fifty seven in Long Beach, fifty eight and Dana point, fifty five in Sherman Oaks, and fifty eight in Buena Park. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer coner A ConA Coner, Hey Coner, how you doing, and also traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your Friday morning wake up Call, and if you missed any of it, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.