Speaker 1: Welcome friends, it's come podcast podcasting time.
Speaker 2: Shut Jacky again, Bryan.
Speaker 3: They're talking to mob mom. Now back, Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode three thirty seven. I'm Zaki, you son, I'm here with Brian Hall. Hey.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Zachi?
Speaker 3: It is going? What's happening? Well?
Speaker 2: This time last week you and I were hanging.
Speaker 3: Out, hanging out, hanging out doing nothing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you came down to visit me in Los Angeles and we had a grand ole time just hanging out, just literally chilling on the couch and chat. I mean we chatted for hours and hours and hours and we were laughing so hard. Like when you left, I definitely felt that void because there was just so much laughter all weekend.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh it was the best.
Speaker 3: It was the best. Yeah. When I got back on and I was like, where'd you go? Did you? I was like, didn't go anywhere. She's like, did you meet anybody? I'm like not really, She's like, what'd you do? I was like, you know, we sat on the couch, drank coffee, channel surfed and just shot the breeze. And she's like, you could have done that up here, And I was like I could have, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, it's true, I mean, and you know, I had a couple ideas of things we could do, and I remember it was Saturday morning and there was like something we could possibly go to in the afternoon, and we were like, you know, this is nice. Yeah, And for all the things we were watching, I feel like it was really fun. It like inspired conversations and then there were so many riffs. We were just riffing on everything we were looking at and it was I was having the greatest time.
Speaker 3: It was so much fun. Yeah, I should say you finally watched the Tarzan movie. I was telling you about.
Speaker 2: Yes Yes, with the Alexander scarsguard Margot Robbie, and it was exactly like you said. I mean, it was the perfect Saturday afternoon T and T movie, you know, like, which is maybe doesn't sound like the biggest ringing endorsement, but sometimes you're just in the mood for something like that, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, when a movie is in theaters, there is sort of a higher barrier to entry in terms of like do I want to justify the trip and I and I would have said, you know, not for everybody. You know that that movie, but it is totally hey, let's just put something on. And it was that kind of a you know, yeah, scratches a certain itch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was interesting because it starts not with the like the origins of Tarzan, like he already is Tarzan and the world knows who he is, which I thought was kind of fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he.
Speaker 2: Gets involved in an adventure yeah, which you know, I posted about that online and there was a lot of folks who were like, you know, you know, they could have done a sequel.
Speaker 3: And whatever, and I I just want to say, is something we talked about last time. I'm like, you know, maybe, but you get this one and it's good. Yeah, and that's fine. You know, I don't need I don't need five of them, you know, right, right, right right, Although I mean famously, Tarzan has been a you know, a sequel machine. I mean, they made so many Tarzan movies it is kind of nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were telling me about them, because I I don't really know the history of Tarzan very much, but I was surprised the types of stories he was involved in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's people don't realize that that, you know, Edgar Rice Burroughs who created Tarzan. Of course, I also created John Carter and and we think of John Carter as you know, Warlord of Mars, and you know, Tarzan is up you know, in Africa fighting poachers, and that's not like Tarzan in the old pulp novels. He would you know, fight lizard people, and he would go to civilizations at the center of the earth and he you know, I mean, it was a fantasy character. And it's funny how that really that in the majority of like multimedia versions that hasn't really translated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had no idea. That was a surprise to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was one. There was a syndicated television show in the late nineties. This is in the post Hercules Legendary Journey's way where suddenly everyone and their cousin was getting one of these like cheap o fantasy shows and syndication out.
Speaker 2: You know, I can see it vaguely in my mind as you say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was called Tarzan the Epic Adventures. And it was awful, okay, I mean it made it made Hercules the Legendary Journeys look like well, not the magnifst Eberson's because that's a movie. It made it look like, you know, Magnifist and Emerson's the.
Speaker 2: Series whoa whoa Stop right there, stop.
Speaker 3: Drilling, you've hit oil.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: By the way, this is funny that the guy who played Tarzan in that in that syndicated show, it lasted like I mean, let me put it this way, and this is this is like a Chicago area reference. It was not classy enough for w g N or or God Help Us w p w R. It was on It was on w c I U twenty six. Yeah, yeah, you that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and my tears down, but that's really saying something.
Speaker 3: Anyway. The guy his name was Joe Lara, okay. And after his Tarzan uh uh you know the period I was gonna say fame, but no, his period as Tarzan ended. Uh. He ended up uh marrying some woman who was like like a wealthy dowager sort and and he he became like a like an online personality, like a uh you know, one of these Joel Ostein types.
Speaker 2: No kidding, yeah, yeah, this and it's like a story.
Speaker 3: It really well. And then just recently, at least in the last several years. I don't know exactly when he died, in a single engine plane crash he was flying. He's flying a plane and a crash just in the last several years. Wow. And I only know about this because my brother he's gotten like really into like cult documentaries and stuff, and so he pinged me one day He's like, Hey, who is the guy who played Tarzan in that show? And right away I'm like, Joe Lara, Because that's the ship that lives in my house.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, yeah, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't know my children's birthdays. I would it's like it's a coin toss for a few of them. But but I'll be goddamned if I don't know that Joe Laura played Tarzan in Tarzan the Epic Adventures, which is on a third tier. Yeah, that's right. Yeah, So anyway, that's like a fascinating little little story there anyway, really is. Yeah. Yeah, anyway, there's our there's Tarzan talk here on a movie film. Yeah, we'll revisit the segment in future weeks with all kinds of Tarzan trivia, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe when we do the commentary for Legend Tarzan.
Speaker 3: You know what, I would actually be totally down for that. I think that would be a lot of fun. I think there's a lot to talk about.
Speaker 2: And you have like early Margot Robbie in there, right before she blew up, and I mean good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean the legend of Tarzan came out like two months before Suicide Squad, So I mean, if we think of I mean, she was already on the map because of you know, Will for Wall Street. But I think for many people, Suicide Squad really set her apart as like, oh, she's bringing something extra. So this is like in the in just the run up to that. Yeah. Yeah, And scars Guard is good in the movie as Tarzan. I think he's really good Tarzan.
Speaker 2: By the way, I listened to the SmartLess podcast. I don't always listen. I usually listen when there's someone I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: This is the Jason Bateman, Yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll Larnette Hayes podcast, and they had Margot Robbion recently, and she was really fascinating to listen to because when you think about it, she has like just exploded, you know, in a really really short amount of time into this not necessarily a mogul, but I mean she is like not just like an actress that appears in like a lot of amazing things and does amazing work. But she's also this like really impressive producer and you know, her production company like makes billion dollar movies, right, and this is all relatively within about ten years, you know, And so it's it's funny because I remember in Wolf of Wall Street, like she you think she's going to be like the pretty wife that just is a little bit of an antagonist to Kaprio's character, but then she ends up being like a co lead who basically runs away with every scene that she's in, and you're like, oh, who is this, Like she's I haven't seen her before, and she is like going toe to toe and then she just never stopped everything she did. She just exploded, you know, suicide Squad, it, Tania, all those sorts of things. And then yeah, she became like a producing force. So it was kind of cool to listen to her just talk about that journey, yeah, and just how quickly it happened and how it happened.
Speaker 3: And so I mean truly when I first saw her, I saw her as Jamie Presley two point zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right, you know, And.
Speaker 3: No disrespect to Jamie Presley, but you know, she has certainly expanded beyond being being typified as such.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: AnyWho, Hey, what else? What else have you seen recently?
Speaker 2: You know, I'll talk about a couple of things, but real quick, I want to mention I had mentioned this in a previous episode. I was lucky enough to attend the DGA had their awards recently, and they had a panel where it was the directors that had been nominated for Best Director that year. So basically it was a conversation with Paul Thomas Anderson, Ryan Coogler, Guermero Del Toro, Josh Safti, and Chloe Jao And it was really amazing. I mean, it was like a three hour long conversation with them, and I just I wrote down a couple things I thought were kind of interesting that I would share. Chloe Joao was talking about when she directs, she's like very into dream work, Okay, you know, so like before they start their day, she and the actors would journal their dreams from the night before, talk about them together, and based on those conversations that could dictate or even like change the direction of the day that they had planned.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right, so She's like there could be a complete, like a setup that was already ready to go, lights, everything, but based on our conversation about our dreams, we might move the whole thing, you know. And it's funny because I I, maybe this is just me, but I sort of felt a like through the crowd because they're all directors, you know, like that sounds like, you know, I lose so much time and money and whatever. But hey, it's worked for her so far, right. But what was really funny was Germo del Toro, who was sitting next to her. He had a funny response after she had said that about the dream Works and how important it is to her and her work. He's like, well, this is why I'm glad we had these chats, because you know, we learn. You know, it's nice to hear that that works for you. And he said the only time an actor said to me, I want to work with my dream coach, I said, well, he's going to have to dream about that because he ain't coming. And then he's like, well, maybe you know, based on what you're saying, I'd be open to that now.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: He was Germo del Toro. I could listen to him talk for hours. He just has amazing stories, amazing anecdotes. He was talking about how, you know, you want to be prepared with your actors and the roles and have those discussions beforehand. So when you're on set and you're give direction, you should never really say more than four or five words in them to calibrate. And he goes, if you have to go more than that, then you're screwed. And and it's funny because everyone seemed to kind of nod in agreement, and I just thought that was kind of fascinating. So he was saying slower half, you know, things like that, and I thought that was kind of interesting. And then Paul Thomas Anderson, I was for as much of an auteur as he is, I was surprised to hear how collaborative he was. Like a lot of ideas from other people, from the actors themselves formed big parts of the narrative of one battle after another. Like Benizio del Toro gave him the idea. He said, I want this guy to not just be assisting to Capitol's character, but I think he should also at the same time be operating this Mexican underground railroad.
Speaker 3: Things that came from him, Yes, incredible, and.
Speaker 2: That's and Anderson just freely like that's a great.
Speaker 3: Idea, right, Like I mean, I think it's an essential part of the character one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent in the movie itself. And wow, I just love that Anderson sounds that collaborative because it feels like he would probably have everything buttoned down, you know, like have the vision in his mind, have it all on the page. So I thought that was kind of fascinating. And then uh Ran Coogler told a story I thought it was interesting where he was saying, you know, filming on location, they had this you know, at the end of the movie, there's that body of water that the actors get into that the sun is rising, and he said that that I don't know what it was, like a pond or a lake or something. He said that it was filled with alligators. So what they did was they built like a little extension that had a wall between the real part of the water and this part that the actors could get into, like a partition or something in the ground, and so it looked like one body of water, he said, but the alligators did come out like we're watching as they filmed, and I was like, oh man, that sounds like a nightmare, but it's just I love the idea of that, because I wasn't thinking about that at all when I was watching. I was like, yeah, just them splashing through the water, but just the fact that the links that they went through, like, let's build an extra portion of this lake so the alligators can't eat our actors. Like, just hearing that story, I thought, movie so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, I love it, so it's great.
Speaker 2: It was fascinating. I was really glad I got to attend that. Two movies I'll talk about real quick. I had mentioned this. We had mentioned this back in December, I think. But James L. Brooks had a movie that came out in twenty twenty five called Ella McKay, which I was a little surprised to learn, you know, you were as interested in it as I was. Yeah, and probably for the same reasons. The IMDb summary says, an idealistic young woman juggles her family and work life in a comedy about the people you love and how to survive them. So it's basically, you know, this young woman becomes governor of a state that's never named, and just all the stuff that she has to endure between you know, things at work and with her family. And I think what appealed to me is from the trailer, this movie looked like something straight out of two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: Dude, I was about to say it escaped from nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. I mean you can imagine the song suddenly I see playing somewhere in it, you know, like as she's like, you know, her shoot or her heel breaks and she's trying to walk down the sidewalk or something like that. You know, what's what's a governor to do? And yeah, I wanted to see it because I think what you just said, you agree, Like we miss these kind of warm dramedies, you know, like as good as It Gets, or a lot of Rob Rinery kind of stuff American President Harry mit Sally or even Cameron Crow, you know, like Jerry Maguire. Like they're very sincere and maybe even like bordering on corny, but in a way that feels like a cozy blanket. And I'm sorry to say that movie doesn't quite rise of those levels unfortunately. I mean, you know, like a lot of the dialogue and the way that the characters behave is really like cutesy pooh okay, you know, and like kind of like a Hallmark card come to life, which confusingly is sort of what I showed up for. Okay, and occasionally it felt kind of nice and it was like what I was hoping for, but it also I think too much of it.
Speaker 3: Wow, just so you're you're like tigger, right, Tiggers like tiggers love honey. And then he takes Poo's honey. He's just putting tiggers hate honey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so, yeah, I mean because those other ones are calibrated. Okay, well enough, like I'm saying, I mean, Jerry McGuire is kind of a corny movie, but it's calibrated just right where you're really happy when he shows up at the end and says, you know that you complete me thing? Yeah stop, you know you had me at hello. Like and this one, unfortunately just leans too far into the hallmarky qtpooh stuff and it's but what's great is it has a lot of interesting ideas. You know, like her dad played by Woody Harrelson. He's this lithario kind of guy who never faces any consequences for like his you know, his actions and then she then later when she's an adult, she has this almost wholesome sex scandal that that happens, but she's forced to confront the public about it and make hard decisions that could affect her her career, you know, and it's it's kind of unfair. And it also kind of talks about maybe you can't be honest and get good work done while you're in public office. Maybe you have to find other avenues to get real stuff done, you know, because there's can be a game and that's kind of interesting. But then there's this like subplot about her brother that is just unbearable. Wow, And it does not connect to hardly anything, Like to me, it felt like a page in a notebook that Brooks had where he's like, oh, this could be something, And I don't know, you know, I'm in my mid eighties. I don't know if I'm gonna be making more movies. Let's just try to shoehorn it in here. So yeah, I'm sorry to say I was cringing a little bit more than I would like as I was watching this, which is a bummer.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah. I like everything.
Speaker 2: I like all the ingredients, and I like the spirit what it was trying to do. But at the end of the day, I just it's pretty messy, And yeah, I left disappointed and just wishing, wishing it had been more of the thing it was aiming for. So I can't say I regret watching it. I was curious and I am glad that I checked it out despite being let down. Yeah, I want more cozy sort of stories like this, but yeah, unfortunately this was a swing and a miss.
Speaker 3: Well. And this gets to the discussion we were having before about I mean, when's the last time James L. Brooks had a film that really broke through and you know, had had some role in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and it's and this is not I don't mean this personally, but you know, maybe you you had your finger on the pulse at one time, right, and and it was the right moment because that was the pulse, that was what people wanted, that's what people were connecting with.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But then people, you know, we talk about this a lot, right. The seventies had a lot of movies that were very gritty and you know, anti heroes and you know, the hero died at the end for doing the right thing, you know, Right, But then the eighties, we wanted a little more escape, you know, and we kind of moved on to where we want the hero to win and you know, a nice moral at the end of it, and you know what I mean, like things kind of evolve and this really cute see folksy Hallmark cart of a movie just doesn't necessarily have a place.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm kind of conflicted with what I'm saying because I showed up for that reason, and I think it could appeal to a certain amount of people maybe who are looking, like I say, for a cozy blanket movie. But I don't think that's the issue with this movie. I think the issue is that the movie didn't come together well enough well that you.
Speaker 3: Know, just by chance. I was talking about Ella McKay in my class earlier this week, and not because I've seen it. I had a student who said, oh, I watched it. I said, oh, what do you think? And they kind of echoed, you like, didn't really come together, you know, And I was making a broader point, which is something we've talked about where you know, like directors, storytellers more broadly, you know, they get a window and eventually the world moves on, you know, the window can be short, it can be long, but it's still you know, at some point you're not you're you're not at the top of your class anymore. Sure because of those geist has shifted, you know, and so certainly James L. Brooks, I mean again, as good as it gets right, the last successful right, I think that's the last thing that comes to mind for me. Yeah, right, Uh, you know, we when we talked about Rob Reiner, right, it's like he had that window from you know, about ten ten years let's say, where it's just like hitter after hitter after hitter, and then he just couldn't you know, he couldn't connect with the ball.
Speaker 2: Right right later, things like rumor.
Speaker 3: Has it, Yeah, you know, I mean but that run oh yeah, right, legendary spinal tap, Princess Bride, you know, misery few good and American President, I mean just brons of those put him on the mantle. There's your call it a career after that, you know what I mean. But you know, everyone gets their window, you know, I mean you and I were talking about with genuine curiosity, how is Steven Spielberg's disclosure day going to play when really it's largely being sold on his name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because although he is still Steven Spielberg, you know, and everybody knows who he is. I mean for people who weren't around in the eighties nineties, like he was King of the Mountain, that's right, you know what I mean. And I think now he is a legend. But his movies you can't count on them to take the world by storm in the way that they used to.
Speaker 3: That's right, right, Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: This reminds me. I wasn't gonna bring this up, but I think this is related. So last night, for the first time, I watched the movie Blood Diamond, Oh okay, Edward Zwick, Diamond, Hunsu Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connolly. And I told you about this when you were here a week ago. I said, this is an airplane movie for me, meaning I've never seen it. I feel like DiCaprio almost always is in things that are a little elevated, you know, you can count on them to be a certain level of good. And somehow I miss that movie. And so when I get on an airplane and they have, you know, the screen on the seat, and I'm scrolling through and I'm sort of saving maybe two or three movies to choose from. I always pick Blood Diamond, Blood Diamond because I'm like, oh, I feel like I miss this and it's probably got to be a certain level of good. And I ended up I didn't know what to watch last night, so I watched Blood Diamond and I thought it was good, but I thought there was something interesting about it. It is very serious. I mean, it's about conflict diamonds, it's about child armies, you know, like ten year olds with machine guns murdering people. It's a very very serious topic. But it is filmed like a Hollywood blockbuster, and the tone very much plays like a Hollywood blockbuster. And I was like, this feels like two thousand and five, and I don't feel like this same script or story would be executed this way in twenty twenty six. I don't think people would accept it. And I thought that was kind of fascinating, sort of you know, as we talk about just what people expect tones, you know what I mean, from certain sorts of stories. Yeah, and that might have played in that moment. I mean, it was nominated for a bunch of Oscars, and I did think it was really well done, but I was sort of surprised by the almost blockbuster movie types of turns that it took, or the way that like the action. I mean, we're watching a lot of people just being squibs oh down by machine gun fire. But it feels like I'm watching an action movie. That's interesting, whereas I think now it would be handled a little differently. Yeah, yeah, which is just kind of an interesting like what we're talking about. Seventies feel like this, early two thousands feel like this, two thousand tens, twenties feel like this, right.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, So yeah, Edswick did Last Samurai.
Speaker 2: Just before that, right right, which I saw in theaters and I don't remember very well.
Speaker 3: I'd be curious to Yeah, I mean that's another one. It like goes down fine, but I don't know that it really stays with you. Great score though, Hans Zimmer, Oh right, right right. I've definitely listened to that a bunch, you know.
Speaker 2: I know Zick wrote a book recently that I don't remember the title, but just anecdotes from making movies, hits, flops.
Speaker 3: And other illusions my forty something years in Hollywood. There you go.
Speaker 2: I thought it's not really interesting. I heard him on a couple of podcasts talking about it and sharing some stores and at some point that's something I'd like to read.
Speaker 3: Have you read it? I have not, although I believe I have it in my audio library. Oh nice, yeah, nice? Anything else of noteworth mentioning?
Speaker 2: One more? I watched The Smashing Machine. Ah, yes, right, which was made by as Saft. This is by Benny Safty, who is the one who we see acting more often, right, like he was in Oppenheimer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is I'm reading off IMDb the story of Mixed Martial Arts and UFC champion Mark Kerr, played by Dwayne the Rock Johnson. And this is an interesting one because this came out I think it's September, and I think most people expected this to be like an award season movie and there'd be a lot of buzz around Dwayne Johnson's performance, Right, but.
Speaker 3: Then iterformance in the movie or while promoting the movie with his glasses and his and his steepled fingers.
Speaker 2: His steepled figure, that's so perfect. Yeah, yeah, but it but it didn't really perform, and then it kind of got forgotten about and it hasn't been a part of the words conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people prefer Ping Pong from from Uh Safty is instead of a fresh Safty Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which we did like. But anyway, I miss Smashing Machine. I meant to check it out, but it left quickly and then anyway, it's it's on HBO Max now. And for me, this is kind of an interesting one. I can't say that I thought it worked as a whole. And the reason is the story itself doesn't feel completely satisfying, but there are a lot of good things here at the same time. It's it's sort of like the opposite of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Like the parts are pretty good, you know, like the whole it's okay, you know, like the good the performances actually, Emily Blunt, Dwayne Johnson, you know, I think I I'll speak for myself. I've kind of come down on Johnson in recent years, and I think a lot of it has to do with he He was very popular for a while, but then as he kept making movies that I thought weren't very good. He was just always playing the same person, kind of like you know, a boy scout who could do no wrong, who never got injured, but had a million dollar smile and it was starting to get a little stale for me. But I gotta say he is very very good in this movie, like really makes the case like he is a very good actor.
Speaker 3: Steepled fingers justified.
Speaker 2: He earned he earned that. Yeah, and you know it. Also it has some very compelling scenes okay, but overall it doesn't really have a lot of structure to it or or like even stakes. I mean there there are moments of drama that I found interesting, but it just as a as a as a movie, as a whole, as a story, it just I don't know, just didn't come together or phil as compelling and overall as a whole as it should.
Speaker 3: I feel. So here here here's my thought. I think I think we can solve. I think we can be like a problem solvers for Hollywood. We got we just talked about two movies that underperformed. Let's pool our resources. So James L. Brooks makes the Smashing McKay Oh yes, about a lieutenant governor who resigns to become a wrestler.
Speaker 2: Okay, go on, that's all I got so far. Okay, Well, then I think chat GPT can can feel in the rest now Scoot chat GPT let's do this. But then then this guy Mark Kerr, you know, runs for public office. But then he has a wholesome sex scandal that he has to confront spite his Lithorio dad getting away with everything, played by Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 3: I think that, I think, I think the the dollars will print themselves.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but you know, I couldn't help but think of the movie The Wrestler, the Darren Aronofsky movie. Oh sure, yeah, what's his name?
Speaker 3: Uh, Micky or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mickey Rourke and Rissa Toomey.
Speaker 3: And that's sad, by the way, we went from Mickey Rourke's triumphant Oscar nominated to come back to what's his name? Dude?
Speaker 2: Well, it's sad because the first I pictured him in that movie, and then I was thinking of Sin City and I was seeing him, you know, black and white.
Speaker 3: You know, I just took me a second.
Speaker 2: But and now, to be fair that this movie is a true story.
Speaker 3: That movie, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think is The Wrestler inspired by a lot of true stories that have been you know, combined together. But that is a really great story character journey. I really loved that movie and I would recommend that again for people looking for a little bit more of a dynamic but grounded and gritty and heartfelt wrestling story. But to be fair, I like that they didn't make stuff up for this curse story. At least they didn't you know, invent characters and.
Speaker 3: Oh like try to zazz it up from really you know, and and I tend to like kind of you know, hang.
Speaker 2: Out movies, you know, Once upon a Time in Hollywood, Train Dreams, Lost in Translation, those sorts of things. They don't have a lot of story, but you enjoy existing with those characters. But for some reason, this one was just lacking a propulsion for me.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but but some good scenes, great performances, and so if those positive things sound like enough for you to check this out, I say, you know, give it a watch on HBO Max.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, kind of kind of a mixed bag with some admiration.
Speaker 3: Okay for me, okay, okay, yeah, Well real quickly, I'll just mention that I have seen the first four episodes of the reboot of Scrubs.
Speaker 2: Oh very curious.
Speaker 3: So this starts this coming Wednesday. As we were recording those Wednesday the twenty fifth, Were you a Scrubsky? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: No, I came to it kind of late, you know, many many years later on streaming, and I remember, I'm gonna be honest, I had a friend who I think said that they didn't like it, okay, and that got a little bit in my head. I was like, Oh, well, they don't like it, so I guess this probably isn't for me, and and so I just I don't know. I didn't engage with it. But then I saw it years later and was like, oh, this is really fun and I liked it because it was funny and the characters were all great, and it also managed to balance this almost impossible possible mix of tones. Yeah you know what I mean, like really really almost mad magazine or like like simpsony humor. But then it would get deadly serious and sincere in parts, and somehow they pulled it off. So yes, I finally saw most of it and liked.
Speaker 3: It a lot. Well, if you liked it, I suspect you like this, okay. I think it's it's I mean, gosh, it's been what sixteen years since the previous show ended. Wow, yeah, so this is season ten. I like that they're promoting it that way, although it basically ignores the ninth season. Oh right, right, which was kind of this attempt to create a next generation handoff within the show. You know.
Speaker 2: Wait, so I feel like a couple legacy characters appeared in that one. Are they basically saying that whatever roles or positions at the hospital they had in that season, they're just ignoring all that?
Speaker 3: That is my sense, Yes, okay, and so I think that's what Zach Braff has said as well, like we're we're just not acknowledging the ninth season. Okay, but yeah, the whole gang is back. You know, we got we got Zach Braf, Donald Faison. I remember talking when we were talking about Clueless, you know, anytime we saw Donald Faison.
Speaker 2: Like, how is Zach Braff not next tent?
Speaker 3: Like we just there. We associate them as as they they're match set, you know. So it's great to see them together again. Uh, Sarah Chalk is back. The one disappointment for me is that John C McGinley is recurring and not a regular Yeah, I want more doctor Cox. I feel like doctor Cox is the the glue. You know, he was always my favorite character on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's hilarious.
Speaker 3: So that I just want more of him. But but it's it's Scrubs, man. I I grew up with it, right, Like, I mean I that show started, gosh was it? Oh one?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: You know, so I was just about wrapping up college and so a very very formative part of that very formative part of a very I'm a part of my life, you know, that era, leaving college, going into the real world, getting married, all that stuff. You know, my first two kids. That was all during the Scrubs era.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Wow. So I think this season is nine. I don't know if if their plan is to keep going, but I certainly hope so. I mean, gosh, they haven't. They haven't skipped a beat, you know.
Speaker 2: That's great?
Speaker 3: Yeah, minus again that that ninth season.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting too. I Mean in that original seasons they were the underdogs, right, like they were sort of like in training, right, that's right, Like, so now are they the top dogs at the hospital?
Speaker 3: Like? Yeah, I mean that's that's the That's what's interesting is that it's playing similar beats as that ninth season. But I think with the passage of time and the fact that the characters are older, we sort of expect that they're going to have different roles in the in the narrative, right and and I think, at least for me more importantly, the story is still focus on our guy, mm hmm. Right. Like, what I remember most about the ninth season is that the first episode starts with with JD and you know, it's his narration, and then and then as he's talking, the narration gets taken over by, you know, by the new Essentially the new JD.
Speaker 2: That's very clever, might not be very satisfying or what I want that that was the ninth season. Yeah, but that's a clever idea, I think, to hand it up.
Speaker 3: But I think audiences just weren't ready for that.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I mean, but you're not showing up for the new person. It's like saved by the Bell, the new class. I want to see Zach Morris. I don't want to see this, that's right.
Speaker 3: So, so you know, this is something that that Bill Lawrence talked about where he wanted to call it Scrubs med School and situated as a different show. Right, And had they done that, maybe people would have been more receptive to it.
Speaker 2: Sure, but the network, I'm assuming was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, exactly, No, no, you gotta call it scrubs, you know. Yeah, And and so this show smartly, it's still it keeps us with our people. And oh, by the way, here are these these new interns that they're supervising. It feels like that.
Speaker 2: Would be satisfying. I mean, that's kind of the thing, right with these legacy quels. Typically they introduce a younger generation that's eventually going to step up and take over, and you know, it's a lot of gambling that we're going to immediately fall in love with those people and want to see less of the people we are actually showing up for.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So that sounds like a good balance, right, Yeah, it's too bad that doctor Cox isn't in it as much. But I feel like, yeah, if Brath and Faison were reoccurring characters occasionally, that would feel like a big bummer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like like in the what was the name of the character who was like she was, I mean, it was unfair to her. She sort of had to become the what's her name? Carrie Boschet? Is that her name? Shoot?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's her. She's from She's an Argo, Okay. Anyway, she was like the new lead. She was like the new JDA, and it was it's like that's too much pressure, you know.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, so nine nine episodes I've seen four. They go down easy and they do stay with you a little bit so a little yeah, uh not not not too shabby. I would say that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: I'm in the mood for something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh yeah, yeah, I think I think you are. Yeah, I concur yes, you are in the mood for that, Brian. That's uh, that's Wednesday, and then they'll be streaming the next day. And then I've also started watching the second season of Monarch, which is the Legacy of Monsters, right, yes, which I don't think you ever got around to watching that first season, right.
Speaker 2: No, that was HBO Max right no, Apple TV plus, my apologies, do you have Apple TV Plus?
Speaker 3: I do? Okay, it's good, you know. Well I I I'm not gonna speak to the second season because I can't talk about that yet, but the first season, you know, I I think you and I both after watching that last Godzilla versus Kong movie, we're like, okay, that's enough of that, yes, right. I like this show because it it's it lives within that world and it and it's very and I mean this in a compliment way, I swear it's very Agents of Shield. Okay, sure, where it's like, you got interesting characters and and you have this storyline that that's playing out across two time periods. So if you remember the Conceit and the show is you have you have Kurt Russell in the present and White Russell in the past, but they're playing the same which is great. Yeah, I love that. So a new season of that starts this coming week. It's nice. AnyWho, Hey, we got some listener letters, Brian. You have been after me. Eighteen thousands, all addressed.
Speaker 2: You've got mailed.
Speaker 3: Here's a note we got from Matthew who emailed us in Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. He says, ohla, gents, regarding the leadership change at Lucasfilm and the timeline hoopla at Galaxy's Edge, I think a key question for Star Wars' future will be the use of the classic characters of Luke, Lea and Han. They're obviously dead and gone in the post Rise of Skywalker time frame. Well shit, that's really depressing when you put it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is isn't it.
Speaker 3: That just occurred to me. I'm like, well, yeah, yeah, post Rise of Skywalker time frame Starfighter in any future Ray movie. But as as the Book of Boba, Fett and Ahsoka season one acknowledge, they're still alive and well in the Mandalorian time frame, So if the rumored Mando and Friends versus Throng crossover movie is made, they'll have to be dealt with somehow. Maybe Starfighter will be a huge hit and audiences will clamor to see its young boy hero train with Ray, making the above question moot. If it underperforms, however, there could be considerable pressure to revive Luke, Leah and Hunt on the big screen, which would almost certainly necessitate recasting, and then Lucasfilm would be faced with a choice of dooming this recast trio to the misery and failure established by the sequel trilogy, or using space magic Tomfoolery to declare that these versions of the characters will follow on you and unwritten path your thoughts. Hmmm, wow, Yeah, so I.
Speaker 2: Think when he says magic tomfoolery, that would be sort of like Star Trek O nine.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking. Yeah, some Timey Wymy Wibley Wobbly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like your version of those heroes still exists in a timeline, but we happen to be in another timeline. Now. I don't know that I want that for Star Wars personally, I don't either.
Speaker 3: No, I don't either. Yeah, I think that there are no good options. Yeah, right, Like at this point, what Mando and whatnot they've established is that because of Luke being sort of this cgi, you know, a puppet right in Mandalorian and Book a boaffect, it makes it harder to recast, right, But also I don't think Disney can do anything with those characters that's not going to piss off somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, Actually, when you said there are no good options, I was gonna be like, well, maybe there's no obvious options, But when you put it that way, yes, there are gonna be no easy options for sure. Yes, yes, just because of the state of fandom these days.
Speaker 3: I think that just fandom in general, I don't care what franchise you're talking about, just people are generally pretty miserable, and I don't know how much that reflects, Like, I don't know how much online discourse reflects, like reality, the touch grass side of the equation, you know. Yeah, but I will say this, this past week, they just dropped the trailer for the full trailer for the Mandalorian and Grow Group. Right, And at this point, my feelings on this movie are pretty well stated. So, I mean, anybody listening who hasn't heard I'm feeling like, Eh, I don't know, I'll be watching it anyway. That's That's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: But my friend who is I mean a lifelong Star Wars fan, and he's he's swallowed everything, you know, he's he's found a way into just about everything. He texted me, he is like, I think it might be done. No, He's like, I'm just not feeling it. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm like shocked that I seem to be the most positive on it, even though I'm not terribly excited.
Speaker 3: I'm not negative on it. I'm I am. I am absolutely ready to be surprised, but I will admit I'm not feeling anything for it based on what I've seen this far. You know what it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I am excited about what I'm seeing, but I am excited to get back into Star Wars world. Sure, you know what I mean, because I feel like it's been a minute. I think it's I did enjoy early seasons of The Mandalorian, but I kind of fell off from it eventually, and so it's not like I'm clamoring to get back with these characters necessarily, but I am hoping for a great Star Wars e romp, which sounds positive, but I'm sure not as positive as people would like to hear. Yeah, right, because I don't know that this is going to come out and be a phenomenon. I think a segment of people are going to show up and it will be probably a hit.
Speaker 3: But now I think it'll do okay. I don't think it's going to be it's not going to knock anybody socks off well box office wise, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, by certain metrics, I'm sure it will be underwhelming, but it could still make its money back, but that won't be what people That's not what people expect out of a Star Wars movie or a Marvel movie or whatever. You know, those are supposed to be billion dollar movies.
Speaker 3: So I don't yeah so well, I mean, I mean I see it performing on par with like Captain America Braveney World or the Thunderbolts.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally.
Speaker 3: I will say this, I was happy to see Pedro Pascal's face at a few points on this trailer because I have no desire to watch Pedro Pescal Stunt Double and Acgi Creation are romping through the you know, two hours of this thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with you, because I like Pedro Pescal and whatever. But I have seen some people complain because apparently it is a huge deal. If you know, a Mandalorian warrior takes their helmet off, and so it's like, well, is this person just doing this willy nilly? Now does this mean anything? I remember it was a really big deal when he took it off the first time for the sake of saving Grogu, I think, and I remember like the second season, second season that's stuck with me. I thought that was really powerful.
Speaker 3: And when he takes his mask off again as he says goodbye, right right. But here here's the problem. Okay, you talk about the sense that they're kind of stumble bumming their way through this stuff, when when Mando parts with Grogu at the end of season two, it's a big emotional moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, I got distracted because When he said Stumblebum, I was like, could that be a Master's of the Universe character? It absolutely could, ram Man, humble Bum, stumble bum.
Speaker 3: Come on, that would be one of the remainder discount shelf funds from from like the late eighties.
Speaker 2: It didn't take off the way they expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, so, so, uh you have Mando and and Grogu are separated, and so you'll get them back to you get them back together. Not in a movie, not even season three of the Mandalorian, No, in a random episode of the Book of Boba fet Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: That's the story for your movie. How do Mandu and Grogo get Did I say Mandu, Mando and Grogu get back together? Right? That's what's interesting. Yep. I don't know, man, I don't know. Some of these decisions they baffle me, and I'm I'm I want this stuff to do well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh me too, I am you know always I want I want to see Star Wars for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: The big question for me is not even Mandalorian Grogu, it's Starfighter. I think that's the biggest question. Mark. Yeah, because you're asking people because there's nothing pre existing. So in other words, you're expecting the Star Wars label to be the thing that gets people into the theater, right, and that's gonna be a challenge man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I'm not jealous of the people have to make the big broad decisions of the future direction of Star Wars, like in this climate with with fandom, like we were talking.
Speaker 3: Fandom the way it is, and well but the legacy characters, yeah, like killed off at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's that's tough. That's some tough decisions.
Speaker 3: Add if you look at the TV side, you have Skeleton Crew, you have Acolyte. I'm assuming I'm missing something, but these were these were completely free of prior character connections and neither of them really played, you know, So that that to me is maybe a signpost of of what awaits Starfighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know, but yeah, we're clearly rooting for it, you know.
Speaker 3: I hope it's good. But uh yeah, I mean, well, either way, we'll be talking about it in a few in a few months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, good lord, Yeah, I bet I you know, hearing those like Ben Burt style sound effect and seeing the ad at walkers stomping around, I gotta admit I'm like, oh, like, it's tickling something for me. So I'm hoping to go in and walk out and be like, well that was fun.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 3: Favreau knows how to put together a good time at the movies. Yeah, So if nothing else, I hope we get that. Yeah. Here's a comment we got on YouTube. This is from Luke's mail twenty four. This is in reference to our commentary track that we recorded last summer for the first Mission a Possible film. Oh wow, okay, yeah, so he says, Oh, Zachy, have I got a story for you with this one that might warm your heart. I didn't really grow up with the Mission to Possible series from the sixties, but new of the concept and the music because I had been a couple of episodes. Excuse me, as i'd seen a couple of episodes from the eighties reboot series. My dad, however, was a major fan of the sixties series, so both him and myself were hype for the movie. As the trailers were awesome. They actually do hold up very well too. I believe I went to see the movie first and loved it. With the twists and turns and the vault scene, and the Danny Elfman score. I decided to take my dad to see the adaptation of the show that, along with the original star Trek, helped launch his love of TV and film. Brian, I think you can see where this is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know exactly where this is going.
Speaker 3: My dad sat there the entire time, not saying a word. Once the movie was over, he threw his empty popcorn bucket across the island, said, Jim would never betray the damn team. What kind of fraud is this? I'm with you, Luke's dad. Yep, I'm speaking to you across time. I said to him, I still liked it. Basically, he came back to me, could you imagine if Spock betrayed Kirk or Solo betrayed Luke Skywalker? Then he basically left in a huff. Now here's the main thing. He has never seen a Mission Impossible movie since that day and flat out refuses to watch any Tom Cruise movie as he basically holds him responsible for Jim's betrayal.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: The one exception I believe he made was hey, the last Samurai look at that, which my mother sprung on him for their wedding and reviewing It's been hilarious watching how the film series has gone getting these amazing reviews, and Dad has basically been like jewels and pulp fiction. Super rat made taste like pumpkin pie. I'll never know because I wouldn't eat the filthy mother ef wort.
Speaker 2: That's so perfect. Good bacon tastes good.
Speaker 3: Ugh, I never know. I just recently rewatched this on my Blu ray player, and there's an extra bio feature that has the whole journey of Phelps from the original series to the eighties to this film, and Nah, you're right. This is the other Jim Phelps who went to work with IMF after having a terrible time with Hillbillies during a canoe getaway with Burt Reynolds. That's what I'm saying, Neil.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially because I didn't really grow up with the series, so I didn't feel the full weight of that when I watched it back in ninety six.
Speaker 3: Or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: But when he says, can you imagine if Spock portrayed Kirk or Solo betrayed Skywalker, I mean that one is huge. If Sol shot Luke Skywalker like that would no, I could never more appropriate.
Speaker 3: Is like if we see Han in force awakens and he's actually working with the first order, right right, you know that passage of time where you've really grown to you know, you've grown to miss the character, you know. Uh yeah, man again. And I want to be very clear, I said this in our commentary. I'm over it, I'm past it, but I still find it irksome.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Here's one last letter that we got from Karen Carl's daughter, who oh this is nice. She wrote was from Sweden. By the way, it says, I love your podcast. I listened to it while painting the watercolor below. I did while listening to the Indiana Jones commentaries. I have a commentary request. Blues Brothers perhaps the greatest comedy of all time. It has it all all the best to you.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea. I think. Didn't we just reference that we were talking about car crashes recently.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we did. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we will absolutely be doing Blues Brothers.
Speaker 2: That's like that's going to happen. We're from Chicago, I know eighties, a lot of history there.
Speaker 3: And Brian, I showed you the lovely watercolor.
Speaker 2: This is gorgeous. It's of is this like a Macintosh apple. It's like red and you know, a little bits of green. This is incredible, like the texture. We should post this somehow if you're on our Facebook, put it on the Facebook page.
Speaker 3: Hemp.
Speaker 2: I just love knowing that she created this while she was listening to our podcast while we were, you know, chatting about Indiana Jones that I don't know. It feels very special to me, and I really appreciate her sharing and letting us know that.
Speaker 3: I was thinking. I mean, if if listening to our show sparked that creativity, it's kind of like we co painted it anything.
Speaker 2: Would you mind adding our names to the bottom.
Speaker 3: We'd appreciate that ever so much.
Speaker 2: But this is really special. I feel really like connected with this in a in a special way, and I'm really really happy she shared this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for that. Hey, we got some headlines Brian extract. All right, well here's here's uh, we have some sad news coming, but here's something uplifting to let us know that there are still some things we can find joy in. Uh. We were you and I. We were talking about the news that they were potentially doing a Mummy sequel starring Brendan Fraser, which if you recall, I made that happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, you spoken.
Speaker 3: I willed it into being. What am I talking about? Go back and listen to whatever the whatever the hell we talked about. I don't remember, but it's me. I co painted them apples. I'm a co producer on Mummy four. Baby.
Speaker 2: That's funny, you know. It makes me think of one of my favorite It's such a small moment but in Legally Blonde, when she's just like, really something happens and she's really filling herself and she just goes me, it's gonna picturing for you right now. It's basically the Mummy four.
Speaker 3: You're like, yes, me, So it is now official. It's passed from rumor into officialness. This is a story at Variety. It says a Chemi Award winners Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weiss are officially returning for a fourth installment of the blockbuster Mummy franchise. Universal Pictures has dated the movie, directed by Radio Silences, Matt Bentonelly Open, and Tyler Gillette for why theatrical release on May nineteenth, twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Boom, look at that dated and everything that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Now it is arriving exactly twenty years later from the from the Third Mummy film, But more interesting to me, it is arriving twenty years almost to the day of the release of Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Whoa, so is that an omen? Yeah? Yeah, is there? Like you know, the Med School Scrubs version of us with our Indiana Jones, but they're with the Mummy franchise.
Speaker 2: I read you and I were texting a little bit about this, and I remember we brought this up, like is this going to be a generation's, a new generation's Crystal Skull experience? I hope not for them. I really wanted to do well years of now, like working through that for me therapy, you know. Yeah, yeah, I mean I for a long time. I've moved past it, and I've even grown to when it's on TV, I can stop on it, enjoying moments of it. But I said at the time it was the there is no Santa Claus moment of my adult life. Oh man, I'll never forget it, dude, I will never forget sitting in that theater the arc Light Sherman Oaks in two thousand and eight with you and Sean Coyle and just feeling like I was in a dream, you know what I was watching. And then when the lights came up and we looked at each other and we all had the same expression on our faces. Yeah, I will never forget that moment or that feeling. Well, uh, Radio Silence, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well this is this is the thing. I mean, Radio Silence is coming at it as fans. Yes, they did do a good job with the with the Scream reboot exactly, yes, which has all been pissed away anyway by whatever's coming next, you know, but obviously like there, they have no reason to make this except for their own just enthusiasm as people who grew up with it. So that's exciting. And again I know this is this is a movie that Brendan Fraser, once he got that Oscar gold, he was like putting his weight behind getting another Mummy made, which is awesome. I know.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't want these people dragged over to this thing like Okay, I gotta put on the bandelier again and what am I doing? But it's like, if this is something they're passionate about, that's exciting.
Speaker 3: It is so I'm excited to see it. I'm hoping it's good. I hope, I hope it's I hope you and I have a different experience than Crystal Skull. But what's helpful is we're not I don't think. Well, I can't speak for you. We're not as invested in this, right, Yeah, No, it's not the same as Indy was for us.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, Which is kind of a nice place to be, I think, because I'm excited to see a dusty adventure in the desert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just that.
Speaker 2: I want to see that. I like Brendan Fraser and Rachel Viiz, and I don't have the pressure, you know, the fandom pressure that other people might have. So I'm just ready to show up with my popcorn and hoping to have a good time.
Speaker 3: See. The question is do we get like m O tep back and you know, uh, you know, Odeed Fair and all. I call them all, all the all the other peeps who were who were you know in the Two Good Ones?
Speaker 2: I wonder Emo Tet By the way, I can't remember the actor's name. I know Arnold Vasselou. Yes, it was in Blood Diamond last night. There you gotta look at that, which is very cool to see him.
Speaker 3: Also bye, by way of just our own, our own, you know, this little peak behind the scenes, we got our Mummy Returns commentary coming up in the in the next several weeks. I suspect I can't.
Speaker 2: Wait because I know the first one pretty well, but I don't know the sequels very well.
Speaker 3: They are re releasing The Mummy Returns to theaters next month, so we you know, we may have a commentary to tie tie into that. Maybe maybe. All Right, this this last several week and a half or so has been kind of remarkable in that a lot of really familiar faces have have been have been leaving us in rapid succession. It feels like, right, I almost I don't know what order to go in here, I know, I know, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's just been a crazy year so far, you know. I mean we're just talking about losing Catherine a Heara, you know, and it's yeah, and then just all these people. It's it's a lot, it's a lot to cover and reflect on.
Speaker 3: But well, well let's start. Well, let's start with James van Derbeek. He passed away of colon cancer. Yeah, and he was only forty eight. Wow. This is I mean, this is something that we have been seeing over the last year or so because he you know, whenever he made appearances, he looked very thin, you know, and it was known at the time that that he was you know, that he was dealing with this. But I mean, James vanderk obviously most well known for Dawson's Creek. He is Dawson of the Creek, yep, you know. And so I and I know I can speak for you on this. I mean that show was a pretty formative part of our late teens, you know, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean it came out, let's see, when I was eighteen, and it was about like a film loving kid who wanted to be a filmmaker who idolized Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean I very much identified with him, and gosh, I mean Katie Holmes and Joshua Jackson, Michelle Williams. I mean it was stacked, that's yeah, with talent and just you know, I don't know what it would be like to revisit it now, but when we were teenagers, you know, it hit just right, you know, and he was perfect at playing that sort of naive kind of kid, you know. What I mean, like he embodied that character so perfectly where that character could be kind of annoying or pretentious or you know whatever, Like he just felt wholesome and someone you liked and rooted for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that what he did on the show was sort of deceptively difficult, right in that he kind of is the straight man, right sure, and so you know, Pacey gets some of the showier storylines and you know, he you know, he very well could have just blended into the background, you know, but when you think about it, I mean he held the center together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a good observation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Yeah, that show. It's I think I mentioned this too before. There was a Simpsons just recently where Marge was a super fan of a show I forget the title, but it's like a clearly Dawson's Creek. Yeah, and like Lisa discovers Marge's like clothing and stuff from that era, and I'm like, holy shit, we hear now that is I.
Speaker 2: Don't even understand that because to me, they're like baby boomers, right, So it's weird to think that Marge right now is supposed to be someone who is my age, right, you know, I'm like, no, no, no, no, She's like she's like my mom, Like I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But in addition to his appearances on Dawson's Creek, which lasted for was it five five seasons?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I'm seing one hundred and twenty eight episodes quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Man shows used to last that long. Yeah, you know, uh he he had a well okay, well he played himself. He had a very He had two funny cameos in two Kevin Smith movies like like twenty Years wor right Yeah yeah right Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, where he plays himself as the as as playing Bluntman or Chronic. I don't know who's I don't know who's who. I forget Chronic, I think. But there was a show he was on which was very funny called Don't Trust the be An Apartment twenty three I remember this, yeah, which he was the like the end, and he played himself. He was like a douchebag version of himself, right right, very funny. But it starred Christian Ritter and and that was when I saw that, and I was like, man, this guy he's like, you know, he he's very funny, Like I didn't really realize that, you know, and.
Speaker 2: He continues to be a welcome presence.
Speaker 3: Well he was being a welcome presence. He was on CSI Cyber he was the secondary lead.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't even know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. The show starred Patricia ar Kent Okay fresh offer Oscar for Boyhood, I think, and and Vanderbeek was like, like, you talk about that's the job for this guy. He should be procedural guy. Sure that that would be you know, if if not for you know, freaking cancer, that would be the career he should be having. You know, just he's he's on you know, nine on one Brooklyn or whatever, you.
Speaker 2: Know, totally and as he ages, I mean he's always like remain handsome, but like get a little more wrinkles and age on his face, and like I can totally see him with like a gun on his hip. Yeah even the day Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of terrific remembrances of him that I saw about one in particular that that struck me was from from John Wesley Ship, who played his father on Dawson's Creek, just talking about you know, the way they learn from each other, and it was very poignant. I'm not going to try to paraphrase it, but one thing I he at the start of his post, He's like, I waited a few days to post this because I wanted to, you know, let his family have their time or whatever. And I was just thinking, like, isn't it sad that like you have to post something like that now so that people aren't like, weren't you saying anything? Because the only metric of more is if you say something in public, right, right? You know? Yeah? Yeah, but yes, James Vanderbeek colorectal cancer. He passed away from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, did you mention Varsity Blues?
Speaker 3: By the way, I feel like we I totally did not mention Varsity Blues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was big too. That was nineteen ninety nine, so right after Dawson's Creek Exploded out of the Gate. I mean that was that was a very memorable teen movie. I think for us at the time.
Speaker 3: I like that movie.
Speaker 2: You too, I curious to go back to that. I don't want your life, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot, a lot of a lot of mileage out of out of poking fun of that delivery yeah, Yeah, I expect that we'll be we'll be talking through that one at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be a good one. That'd be like a little time capsule, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, it came out within weeks of She's All That Mmm, so it was either either She's All That first or Varsity, but there within within a few weeks of each other. So so I feel like I kind of went wed those two together weirdly, that's funny.
Speaker 2: I remember the trailer and the film itself used Foo Fighters my hero.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: It was like a really tied with that movie, and I feel like that song, I could be wrong. I feel like it kind of blew up because as a result of that, you know, being tied with this big movie, I will.
Speaker 3: Forever associate that song with Dwayne Johnson and Sam Jackson jumping off a building to their deaths right right in the other guys, which I think I've said this before. I I don't think I ever laughed so hard that, like my stomach was hurting, like I doubled over in pain, not in laughter, because I was laughing so hard at that. Yeah, every time I put I'll put on that clip and AM and I was like, why do you put this on? I'm like, it is so funny. I think it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, James Vanderbeek, he will be missed. Who else? Uh tom noonan yep, so tom Noonan. First time I saw him was was as the bad guy in Robo Cop two.
Speaker 2: Oh for me, it was as the bad guy in Last Action Hero Last Action.
Speaker 3: But before that he was Frankenstein monster in Monster Squad.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I take it back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and he's so good in that movie. I know, there's like, you know, that's a movie that hasn't quite lived on like the Goonies has, and I think parts of it haven't aged as well. But yeah, that was a huge sleepover movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, big times.
Speaker 2: And I I mean that's like we're having a sleepover ago rent Monster Squad and yeah, Frankenstein. It's it's like all the universal monsters descend on this town and these kids fight them off. And Frankenstein is actually a sweet character, that's right, you know. And there's like this really sad moment when the little sister who's been bonding with Frankenstein the whole movie has to say Goodbye to him, and wow, yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was terrific in that. Yeah, in RoboCop too. And this is something you know, like five years ago whenever it was. When we did the commentary, I made the point where like, he's he's he's such a great presence that the movie does this stupid thing where like two thirds of the way through his character becomes that that automaton and so you just move tom Noonan off the stage and you just have this stop motion what's it? Right? Right? And I'm like, you have tom Noonan, why wouldn't you use him? Uh? Huh? So weird, you know, yeah, because there was just you know, I mean in that film. I mean, he's objectively one of the best things about it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: He also played the tooth Fairy, Francis Dollar Hide and Manhunter.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I've never seen man Hunter.
Speaker 3: Oh you never seen man Hunter? Really? Oh that's a good one. Yeah. Uh yeah, he's terrificking that.
Speaker 2: So Michael Man that's the connection then, huh because he was in heat also, that's right, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: And really just an interesting dude. You know, I've seen interviews with him and and it just seems like like a very wise person, you know. And obviously in addition to acting, he was also a director. He was also a writer, so very very maintained very much of a presence, you know, you know, I got to say he was also actually he was also in have you seen an Anomal Lisa? Yes, he was all the voices in Anomal Lisa except for Michael and Lisa. I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember getting that as a screener and watching that and just finding it kind of interesting but also just weird, weird quite finding my way into it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what a weird movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very depressing puppet movie, That's really it. But actually, what I was going to say, and this kind of connects with this his voice, Yes, this really he has. He's very tall and could have a menacing look, yeah you know, but he also has this interesting gentle voice. Yeah, yeah, soothing voice. And that's what I remember about Last Action Hero is there's that character the Ripper, the Ripper, right, and and you know he's got this makeup on that makes him look kind of extra scary and whatever, and he's got the boy, you know, under his arm. And I remember when he's the Ripper character tom Noonan is talking to Arnold Schwarzenegger's character, you sort of expect like a you know, I'll throw him over the edge or something like that, but it's not that. It's more calm and soothing and like oh you again, yeah, you know that kind of a thing. And I'm like, oh, like it's worse. It's unnerving hearing that gentle voice come out of that scary looking, you know, hulking figure. And he made a huge impression. When I saw that, I was like, I guess thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was aged seventy four, and I don't see a cause of death listed, so I'm not sure. But yeah, like I said, that definitely a very memorable presence, you know, I I I think we we we speak often of character actors, you know. Uh and, and he was one of those guys you plugged him in here. He embodied a type.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He was actually in a terrific episode of X Files called called paper Heart. M hm. That's that's one of the one of the memorable ones from that run. You know, there's a there's a few, there's a few memorable ones, but Tom Dinton was good in that one. Uh And and yes, as as as we say, all the time. He will most definitely be missed because movies will be lesser without his presence. Who do we want to talk about next?
Speaker 2: Brian Eric Dane, Eric Dane, This was this surprising? This is this yesterday?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well it was, I mean it was surprising. I mean yes and no, right, because he had been ill for a little while. Well, I I guess I feel dead sayings. I did not know that, so really no, yeah, so so Eric Dane. Of course, he he kind of hit the Zeitgey's just dead center thanks to being mc steamy on Gray's Anatomy. Right, he was introduced to the world wearing it nothing but a towel. You know. First time I saw him actually was in X Men The Last Stand. He played multiple man.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so I guess that'd be me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although I mean obviously I didn't. I didn't connect those dots. But yes, he was mc steem. Actually we saw him in just I guess it's his last last movie role, right, bad Boys, Ride or Die? That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, as I was googling him and just looking up things, I saw that Sony already had a video that's called Remembering Eric Dane as James McGrath Bad Boys Rider Die, and it's just kind of a you know, a reel of his moments from that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. I mean I remember him being quite quite a presence in that film. So he A year ago, he announced that he had been diagnosed with als Luke Garrig's disease. He had begun experiencing symptoms in early twenty twenty five. By June twenty twenty five, I mean, this happened so to your point, I mean, this happened very quickly. By June twenty twenty five, he'd completely lost the use of his right arm and hand, and he began using a wheelchair in full time by October twenty twenty five, So basically and under a year. I mean that's he's fifty three, which is not that far from where we are, you know, and to see somebody so you know, with such a presence, you know, with such confidence and just have that sort of whittled way. I mean. I saw a video he recorded called it was an interview for a Netflix thing. Did you see this? I heard about this, Yeah, it's called It's called Famous Last Words. Basically, the show consists of an interview with with a notable figure explicitly only published posthumously, allowing the interviewee to tell their own message after after their death.
Speaker 2: Every episode.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yes, interesting?
Speaker 3: So the interview. I don't know when the interview was conducted, but I've seen clips and I mean it's it's very hard to fully make out what he's saying, you know, yeah, I say, yeah, he's talking to his daughters. I mean it's it's I mean, I can't even imagine, you know, no, I don't want to imagine it, but but I look, I mean, it's just it. We don't we don't have a lot of time under the best of circumstances. And something like what James Vanderbeek went through, something like what Eric Dane went through, you make it makes you realize, you know, not everybody gets even the best circumstances, right, I mean, it's weird. It's weird to think about that, right, Like I certainly, well, I'll speak for myself, you know, I'm I'm look staring at fifty right. And one thing I used to do a lot is when I would hit a certain age milestone, I would double it and I'd be like, where am I at this stage? So I turned forty I'm like, where am I at eighty? Right? Right? And now it's like where am I?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Probably not around you know, right right, And again that's the best circumstances. Fifty three that is too soon. Yes, forty eight that's certainly too soon. Ye you know, yeah, I guess I don't know. Those are the thoughts that are going through my mind anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean it makes me think, you know, it isn't always easy, but you know, be thankful for each day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yeah, very true.
Speaker 1: With that.
Speaker 3: A legend, I think we can call him a legend, right right. Robert Duval passed away this past week at age ninety five. Ninety five, so a long, impressive life, certainly. I mean, he's somebody. It's it's weird we're at that stage now where the like that class of actors is starting to leave, right. They were like the new young generation during the seventies and eighties, you know, and so by the time we were growing up, they were like the established stars, right, yes, you know, so like Diane Keaton, Robert Radford, you know, James Kahn, and now of course Robert Duvall. You know, it's weird to watch the Godfather and realize that, like when you watch that dinner scene in Godfather Part two, the flashback, you know, you're like, gosh, everybody here is gone, you know, Michael is the only one left, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's I like how you said that. That's so true like our experience with with actors of that generation because they were cemented before us, you know, Devall and Godfather, Apocalypse Now. Yeah, but then as we were growing up, they would be and gone in sixty seconds, right or days of thunder exactly, and it was just like instant gravitas exactly.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, you know obviously, like you mentioned the great roles, right, like Godfather one, Godfather too, Apocalypse Now obviously you know Apocalypse Now that was the number one movie in the country the week that I was born. Oh wow, So I have a weird connection with that film, right. And Colonel Kilgore, it's not just his dialogue, it's the way Duval says it that makes it memorable. You know, I've said this before. I interviewed David Dobkin about ten or twelve years ago about the movie The Judge, which starred Robert Downey Junior and Robert Duval and and I remember being like, how did you stop yourself from just like standing back and just watching these people act? You know, you have a scene with with with with Downey and Duval, what do you even direct? You know? Right? And He's like, oh no, you know they would take direction, and they would you know, we had conversations about it, but but I just remember, you know, like, what a what a moment, what a thing you got to see?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But one movie I've been thinking about a lot over last week is is Deep Impact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which you know got a little lost I think when it came out because it was in a way competing with the other meteorite movie, Army Nah, you know, and that ye figure, a bombastic one that had the hit song from Arrowsmith, you know what I mean, and a lot of they weren't memorable at the time, but memorable moments, you know. And but that was the more dramatic and possibly you know, more thoughtful what if a meteorite was headed toward earth film?
Speaker 3: That's right? Yeah, And you know, I think arm Again. I think they both ended up doing well, but like arm Again certainly did better. I would say that probably Deep Impact is the better one.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it since it came out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I haven't seen the whole thing, you know, in more than twenty years. But anyway, my point is Duval you talk, you said it yourself, right, It's just instant gravitas. He plays one of the astronauts who who's tasked with you know, you know, they have to they have to try to destroy the asteroid or whatever it is. And it's I think that is the first time I saw Duval in a movie where I was really just just paying attention to his performance and what he does and how he he He had he always had this lane where he brought reality to it and and just a sense of I'm improving this movie just by being here m hm, even if obviously he wouldn't articulating it that way, but really that's how much his presence meant. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is like a non performative like salt of the earth quality. He just exuded that, and that's what he brought into whatever he was acting in.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you know everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and so for me, deep impact was was when I really became aware of that. And then shortly after that, you know, I watched the Godfather films for the first time and whatever, and you really you become aware of like, man, what a oh and I forgot network. He's fantastic in network.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's so good in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's just like these people who were a consistent presence throughout our childhoods well into our adult years. M hm. Again it's just Diane Keaton, you know, read for like, it's just that you're like, no, they're they're supposed to be here forever. Mm hmmmm hmm, like they're supposed to outlast us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I had something I want to say, but you just made me think of something else I wanted to say, which was I was listening to another podcast and they were talking about Duval's passing and they were saying, do we have any new Duvals?
Speaker 3: Well, we're not gonna know for another fifteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: That's very true, but you know, it kind of made me think, and I'm sure there are some people that will, you know, age into that gravy toes and like you said, we can't see it in this moment. But the thing that it made me think, I maybe we won't get as many because you hear this a lot when they cast movies these days, they're looking at social media as a criteria.
Speaker 3: Wow for casting choices. Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Would someone like a Duval who can deliver what he does? You know, does that person like have twenty million followers on social media? So do they get cast at all? These days? You know, like, are casting trends going to prevent us from getting credible Assault of the Earth type actors like this? You know, I hope not. I hope it's a thought I had though that's thinking about that.
Speaker 3: Well that's sobering.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well, I you know, I hope not. I mean, we got like it's a little different. But are Jesse Plemons type actors who just continued to show up? And it feels like even though I don't know if he has social media, I'm not aware of it, but it seems like most people recognize that he's special and Jesse Clemmons, Yeah, Jesse Plemmons, and he brings that sort of unique thing to everything that he's a part of. You know, you know that gives me hope.
Speaker 3: So uh. In terms of Robert Duvall performances, we mentioned a few, obviously. Are there any that that we we didn't mention that you thought were worth shouting out.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to call out Lucky you. Ah, Yes, of course, which is a movie I worked on. It was directed by Curtis Hansen, started Eric Banna, Drew Barrymore, and Robert Duval. Robert Duval played Eric Banna's dad, And that was a movie that, sadly, I mean when it came out. I worked on that, you know, for like a year and it came out and just did not hit and it's kind of been lost to the ages, but it is and it's not a very no pun intended because it's about poker, high stakes kind of you know film, but it is a very lovely character drama and you know, don't go in expecting big punchy moments. But there's good acting. It's it's it's nice ing everyone acting against one another. And I had a good time working on it. And I actually got to meet Duvall working on that, and not like you shared any big moments, but you know, I was kind of like a like a PA on that movie, and so a lot of times I would have to deliver things to people, to actors, to directors to whatever. And I remember he would he had a chair, you know, on the side of the stage, and he was sitting there with his wife who was there by his side, and just hand him things and whatever, oh thank you, you know, kind of a polite nice and I knew he was a legend in that moment. And so it's very you know, trying to not behave like I'm handing a legend, you know, sides for the day, like just try to street it like for coworkers, and maybe he'll treat me like a coworker. And he was always great, so it's just like them.
Speaker 3: For a brief moment. You're just kind of grateful to occupy the same air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just you know, he's a legend, and it's it's cool that I'm getting to be a part of, you know, any sort of role in his orbit as he continues making great things.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, one thing I've said, uh, I mean, ever since I first saw god Father three, which is a movie I defend, but I'm like, you know, it's it's a crime. It's a crime against cinema that duvald hasn't in that movie. Yep, yep, it certainly it's a crime against that trilogy, you know, and and he he talked about turning it down, which famously he was like, just pay me what you're paying Pacino and Diane Keaton and they were like no, and He's like, okay, so yeah, m hm right. And I say this all the time. I'm like, they should have paid him.
Speaker 2: And in making that decision, they helped to contribute to one example that always gets brought up as one of the worst sequels. I know, you know what I mean, that's something it could have had a trilogy for all time. Yeah, but stingy uh, you know, business practice.
Speaker 3: He talked about this. This is from when he was on the Conan O'Brien show, and this is in the nineties and I'm conveying this via Yahoo Entertainment. When asked what led him to let him turning down the chance to return, Duval said, the per diem wasn't right, the per diem wasn't high enough. Everybody was doing it for money. Everybody was doing it for money, so you know, pay, They're not gonna pay. I'm not gonna do it because everybody's doing it for that. Why kids yourself, now, can't you just hear it? In his voice. Yes, yeah, yeah, you know, I mean it's it's it's it's one of the great mistakes of the ages because to your point, yeah, you know, I think sort of uh to dismiss Tom Hagen with the line of dialogue. Oh, by the way, Tom died anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, but he returned to his planet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's just baffling. Of course, you got to mention he his first role wordless. Yes, of course he was bou Radley, that's right, in To Kill a Mockingbird.
Speaker 2: Incredible, incredible, you know, it's like you said, no dialogue.
Speaker 3: No dialogue, his eyes did the acting, and and and what a career. And of course he started in THHX eleven thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, George's first feature length movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, remarkable, you know, what a career. And and ultimately, look, he's been part of so many different types of movies over so many decades. People will be watching his work until the end of time.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 3: One last thing I want to mention, I almost completed, in my mind, in my opinion, his best performance. And I think he felt the same way. He played Augustus McCrae in Lonesome Dove.
Speaker 2: You know, I was just scrolling through his IMDb and I thought i'd bring that up because I know you've mentioned it before and that is a blind spot for me that I need to.
Speaker 3: You have a great miniseries waiting for you. Yeah, oh my god, I love that that mini series, Tommy Lee. Think about this, Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duval playing ranchers and they're just playing off each other. Sign me up six hours of that, right, I know Danny Glover's in there, Robert Urick angelic at Houston. Wow, Diane Lane, it's a great It's stacked. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I it came out and see in nineteen eighty nine, so I might have just been too young to catch it when it aired. But now now we have everything at our fingertips.
Speaker 3: So you have something special waiting for you. You need. I want you to report back after you watch Lonesome Dove.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, And by the way, I want to say one more thing because you reminded me duvall on Conan O'Brien speaking of this is.
Speaker 3: So funny you sent this to me. Yes, this what I love is too.
Speaker 2: You know, Duval like plays a lot of like serious parts, and you could think that maybe he's a self serious person, but not the case.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He's a guest on Conan O'Brien, and Connor's like, oh, I guess you know. With the DVD release of The Godfather coming out with all the extras, there's a deleted scene. I think we have a clip here, and basically they got Duval and a Vagoda to recreate a scene. It's like from Godfather one, you know, where Vogoda's basically being sent off to be executed.
Speaker 3: He's like, Tom, can you get me off the hook for old time sake?
Speaker 2: For old time sake?
Speaker 3: I was like, sorry, can't do it, Sally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then because they got them back, you know, they recreated this moment. Vagoda's like, what if I bought you a hot dog? Devall's like, sorry, sounds delicious, can't fit.
Speaker 3: It, you know, like, I'll get your ice cream. You always did have a sweet tooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fun seeing them be silly together from such an iconic film. Yeah, coming back and recreating those characters to do something silly one night on Conan O'Brien, Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: I love it. Yeah, Well, certainly Robert Duvall would be missed. But everybody we just spoke of, I mean, they they left a mark, you know, and I think I think their work will continue to be watched and enjoyed for for for decades to come.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about like even Eric Dane right, like, like if nothing else, he has that slice of Grey's Anatomy, and and people are always watching Gray's Anatomy. I mean that show is a juggernaut on streaming, so it's like for decades to come, if nothing else, Just that, you know, any other thoughts, Brian, That's it, But I'm happy we could celebrate those people, I very much, so I agree. Yeah. Uh, let's leave it there. And hey, let us know your thoughts about about any of the actors we mentioned. You know, what are your memories, what are your favorite films? I'm sure we miss something or other. You know, let us know your lunch. You can email us at MOVIEFILM Podcasts at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com, slash moviefilm podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. Also on Spotify, every little bit helps, and if you're listening to this on YouTube, please hit that subscribe button, hit like on these videos and leave comments because, as you know, we do read those comments on the show. We also have a Patreon page, Brian Yes, if you.
Speaker 2: Head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward absolutely ad free, as well as occasional bonus drops and conversations that'll be appearing there about twice a month. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads or interruptions, butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing this show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 3: There we go, and if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zakie's corner. That's z a k i s Corner. You can also read my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at The Rap. Coming up, you can read my review at the Wrap of Marshals. That's the new Yellowstone spinoff series starring Luke Grimes as his Casey Dutton character. You can also read my review of Scrubs at the Chronicle, as well as season two of Monarch Legacy of Monsters. Brian, what do you have going on?
Speaker 2: We've been busy.
Speaker 3: I know it's been a good, good week.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, read all those you can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming at Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: There we go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachie Hassan. This has been movie film three thirty seven. We'll catch it next time. Thanks everybody.
Speaker 1: Welcome friends, it to podcast podcast enjoying the show Jacky again Ryan. They're talking about from Baby's Morning Now podcast on the Redo