Speaker 1: Your faithful friend with muscles aching pain, present.
Speaker 2: Gang Busters, Americans to War on the Underworld.
Speaker 1: Gang Busters brought to you the men and women of America by the makers of Stan's Women, which the cooperation of leading law enforcement officials of the United States.
Speaker 3: Gang Busters presents facts and the eleus for the police on the.
Speaker 1: Underworld or any case histories. They chose the never ending activity of the police and their work of protecting our citizens, real America's crusade against crime.
Speaker 4: Now, for those of you who are familiar with the name schwartz Cough, just an editorial note, we'll get right back the program. Colonel Schwartzkoff, who oftentimes interviews the lawman who brings in the story to Gangbusters, is of course, in actuality, the father of H. Norman Schwarzkough, General of the United States Army, and so this is kind of interesting to hear him portrayed his father portrayed as a law enforcer. And also interesting there's the character of the law man, a sheriff, I'm sorry, a judge who comes on the program. Judge Miller is played by none other than Bill Johnstone, who about the same time was playing the Shadow on the mutual network. So there's a couple of interesting voices to listen for here.
Speaker 1: Now for our part's the interview between Colonel Schwartzkoff and Judge L. D. Miller of Chattanooga, Tennessee Witchhaw setting as a special office turned over the Gangbusters by Commissioner Lewis J.
Speaker 3: Valentine of the New York City Police. Colonel Schwartzkoff, Judge Miller, I understand that Charleson and Rogers, the Nickel and Dime bandits, were hunted by the police of six states. Yes, Colonel Schwartzkoff, actually eight different police departments were after them within a period of thirty days. But why do you call these particular criminals the Nickel and Dime bandits.
Speaker 5: Well, Colonel James Carson, the brains.
Speaker 3: Of the combination had a theory of crime different from any criminal in all my experience. I got a new plan on stick ups. It'll pay big dividends. I want to give me a smart plot, that dose of a gift, and we're gonna go to the Mississippi Valley pulling.
Speaker 5: Little shots nickel and DN.
Speaker 3: Yes, when we pulled enough for these nickel and dime jobs, we'll have just as much Jack as if we'd stuck up a dozen big banks. On December fourth, nineteen thirty nine, following a tournament Minnesota State Reformatory, Johnson drove up to a roadside tavern near Minneapolis.
Speaker 5: The owner was talking to a customer.
Speaker 3: You're right with there, mister, anything else, sir? Oh, that'll be all? Bill? Charge it? Will you? With a fancy car like that? You want me to charge it? Fancy? Right behind your pal? Turn around? Look up, Bill, he's got a gun, A special kind of gun, lister with a hat trigger. Come on, both, you back up into that hot dog joint before I turn this kind of loose on you. I want your dog. Oh, I got some change, give it me? Yeah? Are you hoping up a cash register? Here? Thirty five bucks? It's all I got. I know what. I scoop out that change and stick it in my pocket. Nicholas and dying. Huh. I'd like to see you for five minutes without that gun. Here's a change, thanks, white guy. I get out of here, not so fast you hempty a pocket? Sound pretty brave, aren't you? With a gun? Yeah? And it's likely a waf any minute I was sort off. P's gonna take my store. I want your white guy wi you're getting away from me, I'll show you a gun. Get hurt. Yeah, I guess pretty bad. You go going three of those bullets.
Speaker 5: But I got his gun.
Speaker 3: You're gonna need a Dutch. What do we do with this guy? Lock him in the washroom. You'll make it all as sure. I got the special gun. You're right, heat back my money? All right? He come on, you had a washroom. You'll never get me to jail. Insight punk, Okay, I'll lock it and I'm going the police. Don't get nable this bill being bad our operator? Get me the police sit ull, what's the the what's from window there?
Speaker 5: What fuck?
Speaker 6: They? God, he's in his.
Speaker 5: Car, not ross show.
Speaker 3: It's jam that guy's special pistol champ and saved this all life the drag gud Miller for the victim to turn on at the sailing that gunpoint and disarm him.
Speaker 5: Here it is, colonel.
Speaker 3: Fortunately the wounds of the tavern owner were not serious. Johnson made a dash for Chicago, where he went into partnership with another criminal named Joe Rogers. Together, they stole a late model car and started south lazing a trail of robberies from Illinois to Louisiana. On the ninete December seventeenth, in Blytheville, Arkansas, Johnson and Rodgers committed an unusual robbery showing a peculiar obsession Blitheville Luck robbery.
Speaker 6: Two men broke into a house and stole a large collection of pistols, automatic shotguns and rifles. Seen escaping in blue or black dots to Dan, don't ify all gun dealers to be on lookout for unusual weapons of foreign bank.
Speaker 3: A few days later, Colonel Johnson and Rogers were in Minneapolis waiting in the stolen new Buick sedan across the street from a small apartment house. Boy, this is the life where Rogers here set at Charles, Cops and newspapers screaming about us some head in New Orleans. Nothing for us to do but sit back and take it easy. Shure, I got drink right now, and so would. I wish that baby is would hurry up. That's only ten Pat eleven. I told her the snake out a quarter past.
Speaker 5: She made up a mind to come with us.
Speaker 3: Hope. So you know me Rogers, white woman and song, Yeah, I know, But when are we gonna quit this small town stuff and go after something big like what banks spaghetta Rodgers knock over a bank and every cop in the States after you, just thinking that though we could pick up in banks. Oh, we've been getting the places you pick his chicken feed. Nothing but nickels and dimes. There's nothing you can't fight with nickels and dimes, Rogers, if you got enough of them.
Speaker 5: Sure, but we could.
Speaker 3: There's no butts to it. It adds up, see and the wrap for little jobs, there's nothing like it is for a bank. On in one bank job, we listen, sap hey ticket, eat with you. Banks have gods, and the gods have guns and tear gas. They have balconies, the ambush bank bandits. They have brig alarms to call the cops. Let's just see we can get as much in the flank our gas stations as we could in a dozen.
Speaker 5: Banks and no risk.
Speaker 3: Ah maybe a right the way I figure it becomes your girlfriend. Oh hello baby, Hello Jim, Jim.
Speaker 5: I'm glad to see him.
Speaker 3: You and need both get in the car. It's my pile, Joe Rogers.
Speaker 5: Place to nature, how I Oh, what's up? Where are we going?
Speaker 3: We're going south? Kid?
Speaker 5: How do I to go with its south?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Gee, I'd love to, but what about my folk?
Speaker 3: Send him a postcard, just say having a wonderful time. I wish you were here.
Speaker 5: What are you guys gonna do?
Speaker 3: We got special ideas, swell clothes, good liquor, and plenty to keep us busy. What do you say? I say, what are we waiting for? Baby?
Speaker 5: You're gonna be perfect.
Speaker 3: Let's go rogers. Where to back to New Orleans where it's nice and warm. We're gonna make some stops in the way and where we stopped, nobody's ever gonna forget us. It's gonna be a joy right to remember? That was near midnight, Colonel on December twenty first, nineteen hundred and thirty nine.
Speaker 5: Three days later, Chief c R.
Speaker 3: Bryan of the Chatanoo Liviutenancee Police were sitting in his office when Police Captain Homer Edmondson walked in with a message in his hands. Morning Captain, Good morning, Chief Ran. It's just came in on a telegype I would you like to look at it? From sweet Water yeshir.
Speaker 7: Or as two men wanted dear for robbery who wrote Sianka famous morning free in.
Speaker 3: One man about.
Speaker 7: Twenty weight, one fifty, blue wise, light hand, the other one older weight about one forty, dark haired slender, both bandits wearing leather jackets.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty complete description, Chief, These bends took sixty dollars in currency, cigarette sliquor in a large amount of nichols and dimes. Heavily armed, large amount of nichols and dimes. That sounds familiar. You are right, Captain. This is the sixth three port in the last few days that used those exact words. Yes, and each report was near Chattalogan. If you broadcast this message to the patrol cars, yes, sir, right after came in. Set it out again. Captain. It's the first good description we've had of those men. They try anything here on whatever you meant the forced to be waiting for them, right, Chief, Wait a second, Chief, primes being some cops over quick, Chief, I've just been rocked.
Speaker 5: Who's this?
Speaker 8: Jack Parker?
Speaker 3: I got a filling station at Maidland Watkins. I just ope enough ten minutes ago and two guys walked in. Hold on of man. Captain has been a hold up over at Mainland Watkins the filling station. Send a patrol car over there right away, right away, Chief, Go ahead, mister Parker. What happened? These two guys walked in cheap?
Speaker 5: They're both four eleven jackets. They had four guns between them.
Speaker 3: And they cleaned out the cash riches.
Speaker 5: How much they get?
Speaker 8: Seven bucks? Almost all small change?
Speaker 3: Nicholson banshuh.
Speaker 8: Well, no, it don't sound like much cheap, but it's a lot.
Speaker 3: To me, mister Parker, I don't care if it was seven cents or seven million dollars. If these bandits are the men I think they are, they're going to try to pull some more jobs like this here in chattanoog Ah, and we're going to get.
Speaker 5: Them the next after noon.
Speaker 3: Colonel. The woman man and you have a small drying goods store in Chattanooga. This aren't two men, apparently customers walking into her store.
Speaker 5: Now I help you, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me see some shirts the best of your guy, and I want to see some socks.
Speaker 5: And sting me right over here?
Speaker 3: What size shirt, fifteen color, thirty four sleeves and on one size eleven socks?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just take your pick. That's just what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Sisters, Stick them up, hold take it easy, sister, one peep out of in Australia. Get out on the floor behind that counter and don't move if you want to live.
Speaker 5: Yes, pretty fancy looking socks. Pound, get some for me and the shirts.
Speaker 3: You're getting silk the most expensive I can find. It means fast. Okay, he's here, looks swell green silk.
Speaker 5: You ready?
Speaker 3: Power?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: Hey, sister, where's your cash register?
Speaker 5: Then back of the concert. But there's only I know, I know, there's only a little change. That's what they all see.
Speaker 3: How much pale and bucks and about five and change. Thanks for the service, lady. We should have tell our friends about you. And remember, sister, if you move off that floor before or out of this store, it will be.
Speaker 5: The last time you ever moved.
Speaker 3: Exactly forty four minutes later, colonel in the Chattanooga liquor store on the other side of town. Will that be all, gentlemen, just the three bottles of whiskey? No, that ain't all, mister, Reach for the ceiling. What do you want?
Speaker 5: Don't shoot him?
Speaker 3: Pella cups? Why here you get all right? Keep them covering? N What are you gonna do? I'm gonna teach you not to be so nosy. That'll teach you to ask me.
Speaker 5: What I want.
Speaker 3: I please, please, come kick me again. Come on, pell let's get out of here. Get the dough. Okay, take everything, even a small change. How much is it?
Speaker 5: That is about ninety bucks in it? Hey, here's something else down, a nice new get for your collection.
Speaker 3: Say, not so bad? Different from money I got? Maybe I gotta try it out on this wise guy.
Speaker 5: No, no, please, okay.
Speaker 3: Mister, but just so you won't run after it, here's something more to remember it. But oh, that brutal hold up was the third. The Nickel and Dime band is committed in the heart of Chattanooga within twenty four hours. If redoubled the average of the needs to catch Charleston and Rodgers and resulted in the gun battle that Chattanooga will long remember. Law enforcement officers within a radius of fifty miles of Chattanooga cooperated in a special meeting of police representatives at the office of Chief C. R. Brand.
Speaker 5: All possible angles were discussed.
Speaker 3: Fortunately, men, we have a complete description of these two bammits and definite identification clues. When are they? Chief Brian the first thustman. There's the nickel and diamond angle, So anyone seen spending an unusual amount of silver is a definite suspect. Then there's the gun angle. The gun angle. It's this Fraser. These men are crazy about guns. They take pride in them, not just as weapons, but as items to collect. So the bandits might just show off their guns, sometimes without staging a whole of them, particularly if they've been drinking. That's still another clue, Chief Brian. They amount of liquor they consumed, judging by the mouth they've stoled. And the girl with them, the one that's been seen in their car, now we have her description, all right, Captain Edminson. These are all valuable clues. Man, And we have one other advantage from what these bannets have said to their victims. They don't expect the police to go after them seriously, just because the facts have been relatively small exactly. That gives me an idea, Chief for us at Edmondson. Maybe we can get these bandits through a weakness on their own system. How Catton, Let's give these clues to every reliab of citizens in the vicinity of Chattanooga, every small star keeper. Then when the bandits do show up again, they'll be spotted immediately. Good. Yeah, Well, when it's understood, every available man is to stay on duty till these ballots are behind bars. I want them and custardly before somebody gets killed. Within one hour after that meeting, Colonel merchants, filling station employees, make a Star, proprietors, business people, all of which Attanooga.
Speaker 5: Were planning to cooperate with the police. Cooperate with police this.
Speaker 3: I'm staying right here at the store.
Speaker 9: If those Bannets come back this way, I'm going to be ready for him.
Speaker 3: Didn't Nichol and.
Speaker 5: Dime Croup come anywhere near me? I'm gonna call the police. I'm more than five.
Speaker 3: Or seven m again.
Speaker 5: I'll be glad to clock rate.
Speaker 3: I've got a score to settle with those rights, and I'd like to see them both behind bars if they ever come into my face.
Speaker 9: Nichols and don say, I get it. If those buzzards stick their noses in.
Speaker 5: My place, I'll be waiting for him.
Speaker 3: You can count on.
Speaker 8: Me that night.
Speaker 3: Coonel December twenty sixth, nineteen thirty nine, at the rock Castle Route House, ten miles west of Chattanooga, the cashier Bill Reaper was standing behind his counter. That's here, Yes, sir, I want to follow with sep Oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: So we're not allowed to sell liquor in bottles except the guests.
Speaker 3: Of rock Castle. Oh I guess here, me and my power and one of the cabins right next story.
Speaker 5: Oh, I beg your pardon.
Speaker 9: Sure here that'll be one sixty five please, I have to take it.
Speaker 3: And change change friscopal twenty here twenty five thirty fifty five sixty.
Speaker 5: Five right, thank you, sir?
Speaker 3: Your better is right? Said? What are you staring at? Oh? Why I see anything wrong with me? No?
Speaker 9: I was just thinking what a good looking green silk chuch you have on?
Speaker 3: Oh that? Yeah? Yeah it is good looking. Everything I got is good looking. Look at this? Hey, hey what God, don't be scared. I ain't gonna use it. And your boy, that's some pistol, who bet your life? It is special automatic, only one like it in that country.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, Well, is there anything else you want?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, sure, I almost forgot. Give me Give me some of those fox lunches, you guys man? How many let's see now?
Speaker 5: Were three?
Speaker 3: Three?
Speaker 5: Here they are?
Speaker 3: If you want me to carry him for you? Yeah, that's right then getting a little rocky.
Speaker 9: Hey, Joe, take over, will you.
Speaker 5: I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Let's go. So, and which cabin is it? Second one of the letter.
Speaker 5: Mister cabin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Hey, come over up, come on, come on, come on over it up, it's me come on, hike down. Let me in weds Bay reckon.
Speaker 5: I'll be getting along mint Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, sure, I see you later.
Speaker 10: Any yeah, I'll see you later, operator, Operator, get.
Speaker 4: Me the police.
Speaker 6: Police headquarters.
Speaker 9: Chief, Listen, this is Bill right out at rock Castle. Those two nichol and Dime cooks you're looking for, but they're here.
Speaker 8: How do you know?
Speaker 9: I'm positive, Chief, every single clue you giving me the Nicholas and Dimes, the guns, the liquor, everything checks you.
Speaker 3: Notice the car, Yes, sir, it's a.
Speaker 9: Big black new nineteen forty billy in a cowboy.
Speaker 3: Right next on. Three of them, So, two men and the girl. That's what I'll find.
Speaker 6: Cooperations though, sip tecton. Don't say a word to anyone.
Speaker 3: I'll send the emergency squad out.
Speaker 6: The right away.
Speaker 3: Fifteen minutes later, Colonel Captain Homer Edmondson with a group of picked men from the Kattanooga Police force, including Detective Shipley and Carson Nick, members of the County Uniform Police under Captain Dyer outside the rock Castle roadhouse. The cashier Bill Raper was waiting for them. Which cabine They and mister Raper that one with the lights on. Captain Edmondson, all right, mensess on on the phrasing. You stick with me. All right now we will go to the front of the house. Shipley, you and Carson couple them back with Captain Dyer. They got that's our plan again, simply to close in and get those bandits. We can't start shooting, and we're absolutely sure these are themen we want. But if they show the slightest resistance, open fire with the laft guns immediately ready, Yes, sir, let's go watch you. They turned out the lens. Got to stand back. I'll knock open up police. That's a minute. Hurry it up, all right, proping, come and get it. Come back, man, cap'n just losing those bullets and bounce all right, man, open over their riot guns right cutting, Get down a little baby. Those cops are using riot guns. I'll take the kimmy, I'll lo you pick it. Yeah, come to the back door. I'll come to the front. Okay, Chelson, come on, drop it, try and take it. You'd better give up from there.
Speaker 8: You're surrounded.
Speaker 3: We'll give him hot. Let give me another cat, babe, this one's empty. Hey, I Jimmy hounds in the back. Rogers hand sae hi. It's too dark out there. They're all around it. Jimmy shallow baby, Oh babe, your head, Oh my head told you to keep down, all right. Copper, your gout right, cow. I'll tell you tak it away with that taro Taroson is a copper creeping up in the back. You'll cover the front, Rogers. I'll get that cop. He's coming right up in the back door.
Speaker 5: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Jimmy, shut up, babe, I'm running the show. Hold in your hand, Oh, pay you. I'm waiting for your coup. Give me kill I'll say I kill him. I got his gun to it. Yeah, they got Rogers night on on the four, Babe, I'll get.
Speaker 5: Him for that, all right, cover it.
Speaker 3: I got one here, wouldn't.
Speaker 5: They killed Shipley?
Speaker 3: Shipley? How he broke in the back door, shot down before he had a chance. The dirty dogs. Give me a rat canhas yes, my tempty.
Speaker 5: Captain.
Speaker 3: I'm going after him. I wait, don't go up there. It's probably a trap. They're going one of them. Not that's head door stop ropire, you're going for the woods. I can't see him there between those big tweets. Missed him so dark I can't see. We'll never find him in the darkness.
Speaker 5: Before we do Keaton, he might be hurt.
Speaker 3: Dia, you and Carson follow him. I am going to get some bloodhounds. What's with the dots? Happened where they stopped? Too? Dark room? I'm afraid they lost the trail fraser Ford after we've followed their banner for almost eight miles. It's all right, sessmen. Those bloodhounds have told me just what I want to know. Uh, that'll get you, Kim. For the last two miles the bandit's trail has followed right along these railroad tracks. That's right. But now we've lost it. I can't see what Then are headed toward Chattanooga, not away from it. Doesn't that mean anything to you?
Speaker 5: Men?
Speaker 3: Am thought maybe the bannerood jump afraid away from Chattanooga, now, sussmen. I thought he'd had four Chattanooga, but I couldn't be sure. Now I know he's gone back to the city where we can lay our hands on him.
Speaker 5: With one of the Nichol and.
Speaker 3: Dime bandits, Joel Rodgers dead colonel the bandit's girlfriend in a prison hospital.
Speaker 5: The Chattanooga police combed the city for.
Speaker 3: The remaining bandit, now definitely identified as James Charhnson.
Speaker 5: Later that night, after visiting hundreds of rooming.
Speaker 3: Houses, two police officers patrol them, Prey and Sussman climbed the stairs of a cheap rooming house an hour after midnight. What number the landlady saved racer room six? And it's room number six right up there they have the stairs. You know my land lady set her new boarder arrived an hour agone? Had you gone ready? But I will? Sussman turned on your Flasklan, I'll try the door right. It isn't right, it's lucky. Careful now easy see there he's a bad sound asleep. Wonder if he's a guy he wone. He's pretty young for abandon Let's make sure. Susman pulled down the covers. A pistol laid his right hand and another one next to him. He started to wake up. Grabb Will you.
Speaker 5: I can't do nothing.
Speaker 3: I got an put the places all Charlie, and you're all through. You come to the Queen. I'm not to cut your line. Oh General right, Fraser h let's see those too gone. I don't prove nothing coming. I didn't come a buddy.
Speaker 5: I like gun, see it?
Speaker 3: I collect them? Eh, well, this is one gun you never should have collected, Charleson. It's the gun you took from Detective Shipley after you killed him. And that's the last gun you're ever gone to collect. And so Conry Schwartzko, whose splended police work an excellent citizen cooperation, the criminal activities of James Charleston came to an abrupt end. Placed on trial in my court for robbery and murder on February twenty seventh, nineteen.
Speaker 5: Forty, he was quickly found guilty.
Speaker 3: I sentenced him to life imprisonment in the Tennessee State Penitentiary.
Speaker 5: He's aunt this very moment.
Speaker 3: And what happened to the girl who was with Charleston and Roger Judge Moway for months?
Speaker 5: She hurried between life and death. With a bullet touching her brain.
Speaker 3: Doctor said her mental faculties would be impaired indefinitely, and under the circumstances she was freed in the custody of her parents. Back Judge Miller for a fine case. I'm particularly pleased with the way you brought out the great value of public cooperation with the authorities. When the police thus frankly solicit help from our law abiding citizens, and those citizens promptly and comprehensively cooperate, no criminal can escape. Every time the police and the people work together, the end is inevitable.
Speaker 8: Crime does not pay.
Speaker 5: Annul the clues.
Speaker 6: Special bulletin All citizens. What for murderer twenty four five feet five inches, one hundred and thirty five pounds, dark brown hair, slicked back, brown eyes. This man with tall sandy haired companion having wrinkled face, wanted for brutal murder several days ago. Refrigeration engineer near San Antonio, Texas. Maybe traveling in black Ford Station Wagan and may have in possession of forty four caliber Smith and Wesson revolver with cedar handle.
Speaker 8: Warning citizens of Pennsylvania be on lookout for man twenty eight five feet eight inches, one hundred and sixty pounds, brown hair, gray eyes, occupation farmer.
Speaker 10: This man wanted in connection.
Speaker 8: With field slaying last week Indian Head section of Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: If you have any information concerning these clues, notify your local police, the Federal view of investigation, or Gangbusters at Once, or Slow's miniment.
Speaker 3: Next week, the case of the Missing Corpse here re enacted for.
Speaker 1: The first time, the inside factual account of one of the most fantastic cases.
Speaker 3: In all criminology. Learn how a dead man faced his murderer.
Speaker 1: Slow's liniment brings you on a fill a sax Lawd's most astounding grammatizations in America's crusade against crime.
Speaker 3: I grace, I achiemon, I'm all of americast war on the