Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hi there, I'm Johnnie Mack and this is Daily Comedy News, a daily briefing on stand up comedy comedians and the comedy industry. Which is a sentence you might say if you were trying to retrain the Spotify algorithm to ranker show higher. Jerry Seinfeld was on We Might be Drunk with Mark Norman and Sam Morrel pulled a couple clips. I feel like all this is forced, Like Mark Norman is trying way too hard to impress Jerry who you can impress? I've met the man, you just can't. And Sam has nothing to add. Also, looking at the show and in today's substack, I will have a clip of what the show looks like. And it doesn't look good, says the guy in his basement wearing a yellow hoodie and his headphones on crooked. But it just doesn't look good anyway. Mark shared some of his pet peeves with Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: Well, now they turn the tip tip thing around. You're seeing this. I'm sure you got twenty minutes on the tip flow. You know that a Starbucks. So they flip the screen and it says eighteen five percent.
Speaker 2: I saw in recently.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: It was I think twenty five, fifty seventy five.
Speaker 1: Come on, seventy five, seventy, Yeah, it was. It was insane where in Dubai.
Speaker 3: Come on, Yeah, everything's tipped now, everything's listener.
Speaker 1: Or anything anything where they get in you cannot get them out. Yeah, right, they they got away with it and that's it, and they're taking the money. I was just reading on the way down. You watch Red Zone on Sunday, right sometimes, so they put commercials on it. Yeah, it's like two hundred and eighty dollars for this channel to watch football with no commercials. And they say, well, you won't notice it. But now they're all but that's it. They're not going back. Nobody goes back.
Speaker 2: They also discussed whether or not comedians should be married.
Speaker 3: It is one of the great marriage savers because you're like, oh, I gotta go, I gotta do a set, and you're like, oh, I'm out of that.
Speaker 1: Can you believe what this guy's got going on? He his wife comes home.
Speaker 3: From work, she works at home. She works at home.
Speaker 1: Oh, she works at home. Yeah, he comes home from doing this or whatever he's doing, and then he goes out to the clubs during the week and he goes out on the weekends. They have a baby. We had a canceled flight Gary Veter and I this weekend and Mark texts him, oh, man, so extra time away from the kids.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, no, no, that we're not happy about it. Said so much about you.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a marriage saver, that road time.
Speaker 1: It is because you're not really designed to be married. No, comedian is not. Jim Gaffigan used to say, whenever you would hear about a comedian getting married, he would go why.
Speaker 2: Speaking of whether or not comedians should be married, Amy Schumer announced that she and husband Chris have ended their marriage. As I've said on this show before, I think that's truly sad. I don't want to see any marriage end. I don't come here to dunk on Amy, but Amy continues to make decisions that just bewilder me. Amy wrote this on Instagram. I'm going to read it verbatim, and the first three words she wrote are blah blah blah. It's not me being flippant. That's what she actually wrote to announce her divorce. Amy Schumer on Instagram posted a picture of herself Chris and their son on the New York City Subway. The caption quote, blah blah blah. Chris and I have made the difficult decision to end our marriage after seven years. We love each other very much and will continue to focus on raising our son. We would appreciate people respecting our privacy at this time. Once again, Amy writes, blah blah blah. Not because misspelled, I dropped some pounds and thought I could bag s basket, and not because he's a hot James Beard Award winning chef who can still pull some hot tail. Amicable and all love and respect family forever. I imagine Amy has a publicister, access to a publicist, and could have just released a statement and said, you know, respect her privacy, and I think we all would. It's just weird. A source close to the pair tells people there's nothing ugly. It's a split. They've just been finalizing a few things. The New York Post reported that Amy sold her Brooklyn Heights town host for less than she paid. City records show that Amy sold the four story residents at nineteen Cranberry Street for eleven million dollars, roughly one point twenty five million below the price she and her husband paid in twenty twenty two. The five bedroom property, built in eighteen twenty nine and appears in the film Moonstruck, spans roughly fifty five hundred square feet and includes a private garden and gated parking, a restored roof, original fireplace mantles, and a custom kitchen outfitted with antique cabinry and a wine cellar. According to a prior listing, did you watch Robbie Hoffman special? It's pretty fantastic. I still can't decide if it's the number two, three, or four special of the year. At worst it's number four. You should watch it. John mullaney, producer of the special, interviewed Robbie Hoffman for GQ. This interview, as you can imagine, with m'lanie and Robbie's all over the place, I'll pick away at it over the next couple days. Mlanie's opener, if you open a water bottle and you don't hear a crack, do you still drink it? Robbie Hoffman said, mm MMMM'LINI said I found that if I note that it doesn't crack, but I still drink it. M'linie was curious, did you ever have a time where you pulled back her if you've been full blast your whole life, Robbie said, well, here's the thing around you. I'm still full blast because I'm nervous. For instance, somebody I really respect, I would treat back to talking a lot, to sharing a lot, I go full blast. I think I had a big period in life of calming down, but then I burst again. What happened was it was very embarrassing to be this boisterous and loud, especially as a girl, and opinionated and kind of you know, if we had a pop quiz, I'd be like, this is an injustice, and then I'd get embarrassed and I would say to myself, for you, shut the f up. But I really tried not to do anything for a long time, and then I kind of came back to it. Now it pops up when I'm really excited. It's not just you, just anyone, but you, especially because I love being in your presence. I noticed that a lot more, not that I'm dancing for my keeper or anything like that. It just comes out naturally. Jimmy Carr was on the Louis Thorough podcast, and I don't know if I said the man's name right. I don't mean disrespect. There's like five thousand articles about how to pronounce his name correctly, and I have to keep moving here. Jimmy Carr was defending his decision to perform at the Riod Comedy Festival. Jimmy Carr said, I played it. I loved it. I think we need to give up on the idea that the Middle East becomes Western Europe. The Middle East is a very different place, and the same people that will tell you diversity is our strength will tell you don't go there. They're not like us. The thing I like about Saudi Arabia is the direction of travel. Look at where it was forty years ago, look at where it is now. The direction of travel's pretty good. How much were you paid, Jimmy Carry said, I was paid. I would say a commensurate amount with selling out an eight thousand seater room. So it's a big room, and I got paid. I earned it. Cars spoke about freedom of speech interestingly enough and said you have to deal with the consequences. If you're going to say that, you got to be willing to say it and go, Yeah, I don't regret telling that joke. That's fine. Some people were really upset by it. That's okay. I've got the people that come and see me and they really like that stuff, and I've got to serve them, not someone else. Felix Jakins is Amnesty International's UK head of Campaigns. Felix said this is entertainment washing in action, using big name comedians and glossy festivals to project reform while repression continues off stage. No amount of laughter, it can disguise the reality of Saudi Arabia's human rights record. Last year alone, a record three hundred and forty five people were executed, many after deeply flawed trials. Comedians performing there should ask whether challenging repressions or helping to legitimize it. Performing free speech in a country speaking freely can cost you your life isn't brave, It's hypocrisy. Jimmy Carr said, I got paid. I earned it. Oh, I think I said that already. Sorry, I repeated a quote. I'll remember to edit that out later. Anthony has a book club, he told Vulture. Yes, I'm going to start a book club next year. Jessel nick book club and the goals to try to get guys to read literature. I feel like people say I do like to read, but I read serious books and that drives me crazy. I think that literature is serious, if not more serious than nonfiction. You learn just as much. I think the world is lacking in empathy, and the guys can benefit from literature. I've got a list of twelve books of the month, but that might change something new comes out. I'd like to get into that book influencer space, where on the first of the month it's here's what we're reading, and then you can ask questions at the end of the month and I'll answer your questions, talk about why I love this book, and just try to give a reading list for guys. And it's okay to put a book down and say I don't like this, pick up something else. Just keep trying. My first book in January is going to be The Getaway by Jim Thompson. It's an action book that's been made into a movie several times. The end of it is almost supernatural. It almost turns into a horror novel. And if you're a fan of mine, I think you can get into this book. It's two hundred fifty pages. It's easy to read. My second book is a Vonnagut that I think says more about podcasting today than it does about World War two. TV is getting worse, movies are getting worse, and I think books become a more viable entertainment option for people as things have become more corporate and bland. I don't know if the book club will be successful. It might get five hundred views and no one cares and they make fun of me. But that's okay. I'm picking timeless novels that I think a guy can get through without being embarrassed. A book that you can read on the subway. No one's making fun of you for it. They talked about John Mulaney's book Club jes Unix sent my publisher. I saw the Milleni post and was like, uh oh, it's fine. His first one was the first book I picked up in January. Playworld that I've forgotten every single thing. It's been on some lists and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the book. It's okay to forget everything you've just read. It's hard to remember things. I could barely give descriptions of a lot of the books in my top ten. I don't know how seriously Milanie is taking in. It seems like it was just a post put up on Instagram and a social media person was like, you should try this. Great. I hope there's a million comedian book clubs, but I'd like to go a bit deeper than just holding a book and saying this month, we're reading this and then never mentioning it again. Sarah Sherman, doing a lot of press, spoke to Variety and said that she bombed when opening for Adam Sandler as You're My Best Friend tour, but says the thing about saidlor Is is comedy is really surreal and bizarre and dirty, so it's actually a good fit with her own style. But apparently she said she's stunk. Here's why, because she relies on being in smaller venues for interactive comedy. She explained, so much of my material is very audience interactive, so it's weird to be so far away from people, and my voice is very shrill, and when it's ricocheting off the walls of aa Gine Arena, it can be painful for some people. If you're listening on Spotify, follow daily comedy news, so it shows up on your feet every morning. That's the kind of sentence. Somebody trying to go the Spotify algorithm would say on several podcasts in a row, pay attention to that kind of thing out on the eight hundred pound Gerrilla today Christopher MacArthur Boyd's Scary Times. No shocker here. Howard Stern is not suddenly ending his career tomorrow. Nope, what do you know? Howard Stern has renewed. After all that press about Howard's being canceled, Howard did into many bit bah bah blah blah. I told you all along, the whole thing was nonsense, and right before the winter break, Howard would announce renewal. Howard announced a three year deal. He gets a more flexible schedule. He's already only doing three days a week and has July and August off. Boy, nice money if you can get it. Howard is what I call a once in two generations Hall of famer, the best who ever did it, but also little past his prime. People are upset with Saturday Night Live? Are they using AI images during weekend update jokes? The image in question was a woman on Oxygen playing the nickel slots. The image did look very AI ish. SNL has not commented on this in the past, they've used photoshops. Leslie Jones has slammed President Trump. Jones was on ms Now with Nicole Wallace ms now, the former MSNBC with the new name. Wallace said, the President is calling female reporters piggy and stupid and dumb and insubordinate. Leslie Jones said, wait a minute, let me explain something to you. I don't understand how these people let that in. Then, according to The Daily Beast, Leslie Jones hurled expletives a president and how she would respond in the scenario of Trump calling Leslie Jones piggy, if he would have said shut up, piggy to me, I would have been like you fat mfer. Jones added, we should be embarrassed. As citizens, we should be embarrassed. Wanda Sykes was honored at Variety's Power of Women La event. Now. I'm not sure the HR Department would be too happy with Wanda Sykes. Pay attention to this quote here from Wanda Sykes. Wanda said, my joy is when I'm able to hire somebody, and you know who I like to hire women. I'll be upfront with you when it comes to a position and I look on the paper Variety said Psykes was holding out her arms with the hand representing the man slightly elevated above the woman one. So back to the quote. When it comes to a position, I look on the paper. She might be right here and he's up there. I'm hiring the woman. That's just how I operate. And I'll be honest with you. If she's a black woman, girl, you got the job. Psykes drew applause from the crowd. Ssykes added, when women thrive, the community thrives. We make everyone around us better. When we win, everybody wins. When men win, sometimes they get a younger wife. Again, I get what she's trying to say, but I'm not sure that would get past the HR departments that I've worked with. And that is your comedy news for today. I'll see tomorrow.