Speaker 1: This What's on Tap Radio podcast is brought to you by Cast Branding. I remember of the Texas craft Brewers Guild. Cast Branding has been supplying breweries, distilleries and wineries with top quality merchandise since twenty thirteen. If you're looking for a way to promote and grow your brand, check out Cast Branding on Facebook, Instagram and online at Cast Branding dot com, Cast Branding dot com, cast Brandy dot com. Enjoy the show. This is about to be good radio. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: To me, a craft brewer is much more of a mindset.
Speaker 1: We just opened two camps spread the gospel of good beer, good beer. Tons and tons of stuff going on in the beer world.
Speaker 3: I love craft beer.
Speaker 1: I love different people's beers. It's the first favorite.
Speaker 3: Cheers two old US beer geeks and those new to the craft.
Speaker 1: What's on Tap High five?
Speaker 3: This is What's on Tap Radio beer and the culture that flows with it. Pears Beer Guru James Simpson and Beer Logics Pill Bean.
Speaker 1: I got a big smile on my face. So does Chad. Just I love this time of year.
Speaker 4: What does it when your allergies kick in?
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna get into that, Chad. That's not what I was gonna focus on. I was gonna focus on the fact that the temperatures are finally getting cooler, it's getting darker earlier, the October Fest beers are flowing. Just college football, pro football, baseball playoffs. I mean, whatever, however you want to look at. It just puts a smile on my face. And it also puts a smile on my face that I get to hang out with you guys. Welcome to What's on Tap Radio. I am James Poindexter Simpson, joined by always mister Billlating himself mister Chad Pillbean and on third micright, Bill, welcome to What's on Tap.
Speaker 5: Radio here, and if you want to talk about baseball playoffs, I'd be happy to since we're from up here in Michigan, Detroit.
Speaker 1: Yes, we can get all into that's on.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm waving Bill off right now. I know you can't see this, but I'm like, no, it's all good. I mean, I know you keep the lights on for us as a sponsor, but listen, don't antagonize the guy on first mic. His allergies are kicking.
Speaker 1: In, dude, and is there are a few times a year that allergies getting a headlock and just start beating me. And it's one of those days today. And I know that there's a lot of people out there that can relate to this, because there's a lot out there that are suffering from allergies. Just know, I'm with you, guys, I'm with you. I'm with you. But can you be with me by cracking a beer? You can? Yes, let's do a damn thing. But before we do that, let's uh, let's take our advertisers, the ones that keep us on the radio and each every week those fine partners. Being a Tantric brewing company is superior pest control, beer logic, conference and events. We know to take an insurance group, h the backyard grill, keeping the lights nice and bright here in studio s Harbor Light Brewing, and of course sponsoring our podcasts anywhere podcasts are found. I say anywhere, anywhere, anywhere podcast are found thanks to our friends over Cast Branding, Cast Branding, Cast Branding. All Right, like I said, I got a nice smile.
Speaker 4: You got all the introductions out of the way. You've blown your nose.
Speaker 1: Look at this Chad Bill's taunted you. This is radio And I know y'all call God. But I'm holding up a thing of toilet paper that I have at my disposal, because at any moment I can start sneezing. And if you hear like a Migo radio silent and Chad and Bill pick up and start having a conversation between the two, just know that I'm blowing my nose.
Speaker 4: And I was gonna say, and if you hear, you forgot to hit your cough button.
Speaker 1: I got, I got a cough button. I will hit that. You will not be hearing me blow my nose, but we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna give you a sound. I'm gonna give you a sound that I think we all want to hear right here. Oh yeah, listen carefully, there we go. This is brought to the table, brought to you by our friends at the Backyard Girl on the northwest side of Houston. And this is the part of the show where James brings a beer and Bill and I bring a beer. And uh, since Bill brought this one, I'm gonna let him do the honors. Tell everybody what we brought Bill the man Chester october Fest style lager from Three Floyds. That's what happens when you don't and you don't stretch out before going into the game. Right there, folks, the man.
Speaker 1: How many how many syllables man.
Speaker 4: And ends in there? So one more time, Bill? What is this?
Speaker 5: Looks to Manchester from three Floyds october Fest style lager.
Speaker 4: And anybody in engineering know that we just spilled beer on the equipment. Okay, there we go, moving past that stroke. You just about made him spill beer, that's for sure. This one comes in at a wopping fourteen percent. Maybe no, I just made that up because I can't read it. I can't see it. That's a that's a fancy, I know.
Speaker 1: Let me have a sip here, and oh, what glass you're drinking out of? There? Chad? What glass is that?
Speaker 4: I'm drinking out of the Samuel Adams Boston Lugger glass, which makes everything better. But I'm going to tell you right now, I think I think you could drink. You could drink this beer out of a crock and it would be delicious. I mean, but forget about a shoe, a boot. You could drink. You could drink it out of a snail shell. I mean, this is wow. This is what this is what Octoberfest is. This is this is logger like that you want that you're in love with it is. It is beautiful. What's the biller clarity? It's three Floyds. It is beautifully carbonated. The head retention is gorgeous. I mean, this is a sexy beer, but wow, the the the crisp mouthfeel on this after every sip that I've had so far, and man is it multi and it finishes dry. Just a beautiful example. I'm gonna I'm gonna stop gushing so James can crack open a beer. But that's what we brought, the man Chester october Fest lagger from three Floyds.
Speaker 1: How many a's are in there? All? Right? Way to kick things off, guys, I'm going to pick it back off your october Fest and you know that I'm gonna be bringing Octoberfest. And the hardest part is I got so many to choose from them. It's difficult, but I just reached to the fridge and grabbed from our friends. I don't even know if it's it's a collaboration. It's like a vulturo On Brewery now eleven below, Octoberfest.
Speaker 6: Eleven below works, Yeah, Fortress, so hey, whatever they are today, I don't what is it.
Speaker 4: It's eleven below B fifty two in Fortress Fortress.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, there we go. Cracked it open. Look a glass I'm bringing out of Boston Beer Company, just like Jazz nice. And if you look at that very very good appearance, it's got a nice copper color. Nice head retention. Oh, I try to smell it like I smell because I can't smell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, there is blown his nose again, folks.
Speaker 1: Right there, that's just treating me a little respect I deserve like I always deserve. All right, This is at five point three percent alcohol by volume. Again, this is eleven below seasonal release Octoberfest Marsin, which has twenty two IBus. But I am going to let that breathe for a second as I try to breathe as I get through telling you what's on tap this week. But chat kick things off with the man.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, Bill, you got this monsterfest. We'll figure out what the name of it is. It's the Three Floyds Brewy Company. This is what happens when you put him on the spot, folks.
Speaker 1: All right, and I got eleven below october Fest, and this has brought the table thanks to our friends over at the Backyard Grill on tap. This week, we're gonna figure out how old is beer and what happens when refusing to pay for a beer turns violence. All this is so much more on this action packed radio show. Don't you go anywhere? Coming right up the official What's on Tap? Are you? A fun fact of the week? We will be right back.
Speaker 3: We like to have at least five practice beers before we have our actual beer.
Speaker 5: All you need now, there's lots of practice.
Speaker 7: All right, What's on Tap? Radio continues, All right, everybody's got a beer. You got a beer, I got a beer. We got a beer.
Speaker 4: You know who else has beer? The Backyard Grill on the northwest side of Houston. But when you're drinking, you want to have something to eat too, So go get yourself some grub at the byg. The menu is amazing. They've got all your Texas favorites like steaks, bahitas, chops, and it's all grilled on a wood fired grill. Got you got wraps, Hey, if you're vegetarian, they got salads, they got soups, homemade dishes, and specialties like smoky the beer chicken. Oh yeah, smoked chicken injected with local beer sounds delicious, right, yeah, and don't forget the green beans. I know you're thinking, wait a minute, is this guy just talking about all the grilled stuff and you're gonna tell me to eat your veggies? Hey, mom said eat your veggies. Over one hundred different menu items, get the green beans. Trust me, you won't regret it, and over one hundred different beers head out to the backyard grill in the corner weston Jones Road on the northwest side of Houston. Cheers.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, I was just blowing my nose here, Not that you care, but just this time of hear man, it just gets to me. I feel like I'm a pointdexter, just a nerd because I can't breathe whatsoever.
Speaker 4: There's there is only a hand or are only a handful of our audience members that are going to catch that reference of Poindexter and and being sick, and it's a Revenge of the Nerds reference.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: If you're not if you're not familiar with the movie, you're definitely not a child of the eighties, because.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like I feel like our target demo is of age where they know that reference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you remember the movie Poindexter played the violin and he had really bad eyesight like Bill, and he had really bad allergies like James. So this is the point Dexter Revenge of the Nerds episode where we can't read beer labels and we're and Clareton, Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean Sherman toilet paper and I didn't. I haven't taken anything. And I'll tell you why I haven't taken anything. I'm suffering through it because I worry so much that if I take something, I'll get medicine head and I don't even know what will happen. And I've done that before. We're you know. I was on the air and people were like, is James okay to drive home? Because I was just like.
Speaker 6: Man, I'm under the inen of a decongested.
Speaker 4: I mean, how do you do how do you do a field sobriety test for that? Sir? By the way, hold my beer and watch. This comes to you from Katie, Texas, where a man forty two year old James Simpson.
Speaker 1: I wish I was forty two. Holy cow are.
Speaker 4: Forty four year old James Simpson of Katie, Texas was pulled over on the I ten Expressway but late night after after three twelve am. We're gonna talk about that later in the Show's nothing good happens after thirty am. Yeah, and there he is during a sobriety test. Yes, he said he left a brewery hours ago and doesn't remember how he ended up on the I ten and admitted to being under the influence of a nasal de congest. This has watch this, but not.
Speaker 1: Not beer, not no, not any kind of alcohol, just just but that's why anyway, that's why I haven't take you anything, because I'm afraid of just what happened. So anyways, brought to table thanks to our good old friends over at the Backyard Grill, which is doing they do an Octoberfest dinner, so get a part of that. Come on, and I can't see a beer that you would find on tap over at the Backyard Grill is the eleven Blow october Fest. Because it is an amazing beer. And I am going to tell you a little bit of what I taste as I let it open up a little bit, as I am drinking out of the Samuelato's Bostl Logger glass just like Chad.
Speaker 4: But let me go in and Bill, Oh yeah, we're all drinking the same vessel because we drink best. Oh here it goes.
Speaker 1: Football sub one hundred degree weather, multi laggers. All mean that falls almost here in my part of the country. And so is Octoberfest. Very smooth, multi, very crushable. Just one side of Marsin and you'll be wondering where the beer garden is.
Speaker 4: Oh look, James found the beer garden.
Speaker 1: I did at five point three percent alcohol by volume from eleven below brewer weeding. Baby. Don't you know that I love your baby?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is not karaoke.
Speaker 1: So they shut down. They moved eleven Blow where their location in North Houston, and they moved it to Fortress Brewery Company, which is what part of the city Chad.
Speaker 4: Fortress is. Spring is north of Cyprus.
Speaker 1: So I remember going there and Chad got like, you gotta go get a teennis shot because he cut himself on a rusty nail. I'll never forget that. What you remember, you They had this like bull made out of scraps. Oh what did I did?
Speaker 4: Plice my hand.
Speaker 1: There was one part that had barbed wire on it, like the tail, and Chat went to touch the tail which was made out of barb wire, and he cut his finger open.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I forgot all about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they joined forces below and wolves the other on is it be fifty two.
Speaker 4: Fifty're all North Houston Breweries north northwest Side and they just was like, hey, I know you got your thing. They got their thing and we got our thing. But let's do a thing together. And everyone's like all right, And I mean it was just a conglomerate anyway. The beer that we have that you will not find at the backyard grill, the Manchester october Fest from three Floyds. You also won't find it anywhere because it's not the Manchester beer. By the way. Fun fact, drinking alcohol will lead to muscle weakness, and alcohol weakens the muscles of the eyes and can permanently damage the optic nerves and transmit that transmit visual images to the brain. Now we know how to diagnose harbor light. Bill, who tried to read this label?
Speaker 5: It is a tough light.
Speaker 4: It is a tough one. It is actually just the monster Fest.
Speaker 5: And that's what you get for putting me on the spot like that.
Speaker 4: You brought the damn beer.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I just look for funny labels and bring them into you and they end up being good beer. All right, well it is the Manchester Yes much monster fat.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, strike three, Bill quick, all right, I gotta do some I gotta rebuild our image.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 2: Let's learn now the official What's on Tap Radio Fun fact of the week.
Speaker 4: It brought to you by Who's ever checked clear?
Speaker 1: This week, I will promise that we will try to get this show pulled together by the end of the hour.
Speaker 4: We really will. By the way, in case you're wondering where the term blind drunk came from, it started in the mid seventeen hundreds, with the oldest evidence of a blind drunk coming from the year seventeen or the year that Bill was born. Okay, so geez, Bill, that all read the dang label. All right, your official ones on Tap Radio fun fact of the week. This one here is kind of a what grinds my gears fun fact, But it just goes to show you that I'm gonna say this, any one of us has an opportunity to be famous and for no apparent reason. Oh yeah, all right. With all the national beer holidays out there, have you ever wondered what's the meaning behind all of them? And are any of them ever? Just made up? I thought about this. There was on April seventh, this National Beer Day, whenever prohibition ended and we could start brewing beer again New Beer's Eve. There's an argument over which day that is. Is that April sixth because it's before New National Beer Day or is it just Christmas Eve whenever we get drunk? Who knows? But some people celebrate two a year. Uh, there's a national what is it? American? There's American Beer Day? Remember when American Beer Day. We interviewed that guy. He was sitting in a Buffalo Wild Wings and they had British Beer Day and he got up to go to the bathroom and he heard two people say why isn't there an American Beer Day? And he's like, yeah, so he made it.
Speaker 1: Wait, we did it there, guy? Did we?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We did? I forgot about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, But just recently, September twenty eighth, twenty twenty four, was none other than National Drink Beer Day, which whenever you post it on social media, you know what response.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get.
Speaker 4: Eh, isn't that every day?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I drink beer every day. Yeah, we should be drinking that every day celebrating that every day, every day's National Drink Beer Day. Yes it is, and you should. But it begs the question, what is the origin of National Drink Beer Day. Well, turns out that researchers have dug deep into the entomology of the in the history of this study of bugs. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, say that's right, we're gonna pull this show together. Yeah. Anyway, my daughter's got a degree from Michigan State.
Speaker 5: Entomologis why I know that.
Speaker 4: The origin of the word in the origin of the celebration is what I was going for there, Bill, my computer, my one screen or my one sheet went down on my screens down, So I'm going off memory here. So here it is, folks. Turns out that September twenty eighth is Arthur Guinness's birthday, the founder of Guinness Brewery. And so if you said that National Drink Beer Day is in celebration of Arthur Guinness's birthday, well you would be incorrect because your official onsons Hab Radio fun fact of the week is no one knows why we celebrate National Drink Beer Day, and it is just a coincidence that it falls on Arthur Guinness's birthday. And that is your official What's on TAB Radio fun Fact of the week.
Speaker 1: I just every day is National Beer Day for me, Chad, just like you.
Speaker 4: Said, drink beer Day. Drink beer, drink beer Day.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. All right, great fun fact. Today we're gonna find out. We're gonna dive into We're gonna figure out how old is beer? And also what happens when we're refusing to pay for a beer turns violence? And why do not alcoholic drinks cost so much? Also so much more? Hang with us, We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: A real partner will make you feel loved, needed and sexy. Wait, it's beer beer already does that? What's on TAB Radio Continuous with James Simpson and Chadpillbeam.
Speaker 1: So the last segment, I told you how old I was. This segment, we're gonna figure out how old beer is this beer old enough to even drink? How old is beer? Obviously it's old drink. It's been around for a long time.
Speaker 4: I know what the beer we just finished the old Harbor Light Bell and I that beer is now it's not aging anymore. It is in our belly. It is gone. Brought to the table or segment we brought some Mars in style lagger. Let's see a Bill gets it right this time.
Speaker 5: From three Floyds the month sur fest.
Speaker 4: Man, we are hooked on phonics worked for me, all right here we are all right, Well that beer is gone, and we do have another beer that we'd like to crack open here really quick. Let's see a Bill can redeem himself. And what is what is this one that we're opening from?
Speaker 5: Jolly Pumpkin Bam Beer Farmhouse.
Speaker 4: Al all right, so that's what we're gonna. We're gonna we'll talk to you a little bit more about that. So Bill said his daughter he was calling me out because my one sheet went down on my screen. It went blank, and I had to go off memory. And I mentioned something about the origin of something, and you said, your daughter has a degree in entomology. Say it again, entomology. Entomology. Yes, Entomology is the study of insects. Etomology is the origin of words. Now if I misspoke, so the problem is you not me? Well, I don't know. I gotta go back and roll the tape. But if I said entomology, then I misspoke. But etomology is the origin of things, and that's what we were talking about speaking of the origin of things. I do want to get into the age of beer, but before I do, I got to ask James, I'll set beer treating you, dude.
Speaker 1: This is one of my favorite Marzins, and I can't believe I'm almost finished with it because usually I'll take me back. It usually takes me because you know, I don't have a stunt beer liver in studio like Chad does, because I feel like they still think I'm drinking an a beers from Dry January, which is coming up in a few months for.
Speaker 4: Me, but Na drinks too.
Speaker 1: I'm almost done. I'm almost done with this, and I'm trying to think to myself as like, do I crack another one of these or do I go with a different beer? Because you remember last time was I drinking the Samu Lambs Boston October Fest. I cracked two of them on the same show. I was like, you know what, screw it, I'm just gonna drink two of them, and so I'm debating on whether or not to do that. But hey, real quick, before we get into how old beer. Speaking of old beer, you know, we talked about Weathered Souls closing in San Antonio.
Speaker 4: Oh, the weather Soul's Brewery, that is the founding brewery of the Blackest Beautiful Project.
Speaker 1: That's that's exactly right. I found about three Blackest Beautiful beers in the crisper drawer Howard got there. I have no idea, but I feel like those beers can age, and so as soon as the temperatures go down a little bit, I can bring those beers to show. And I was thinking, I was like, why what, why did they end a been here? Because these are great beers underneath the old you know, beers from the twelfth anniversary of Southern Star Brewing Company Buffalo by you brewing company beers, But yeah, you're old beer in there.
Speaker 4: So my this week's hold my beer and watch this brought to you by Ringing All the ten Hacen Insurance Group comes to you from Katie, Texas. We're forty four year old James Simpson was arrested on Sunday afternoon after reports that these beers that were delicious and treasured and cherished were being held in the dark, captive against their will, and slowly dying. When police responded to the calls at the home if the Katie residents, the police investigated the refrigerator and found no evidence of these beautiful beers there, but upon leaving they had a search warrant for the crisper drawer and they opened it. The evidence was there. The beers were dying, they were forgotten about. Simpson was taken into custody and said it was not his fault. He was under the influence of a decongestint.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. Anyway, if you don't hold my beer and watch this, this week is a wow. This is a wild wild hold my beer and watched this, which I was sent from a couple listeners. You definitely want to stay two for that. But let's get into how old beer is, because I don't know how old beer is.
Speaker 4: I've got the issues with this story, so many issues I do because we've been doing the show now, this is year eleven, that we're on year eleven, right, and even I remember when I did my first beer logic show fourteen some years.
Speaker 1: Ago, Chat Hunt and aftern Shut.
Speaker 4: For those of you who don't know what I look like. First, never had an Avro and I was started groovy bait.
Speaker 1: He had an afro pick in his hair. It's a bell bottoms.
Speaker 4: On knee high socks with that were white with a red stripe, and roller skates. Yeah, shorty shorts.
Speaker 1: He had shoes with fish the soul.
Speaker 4: All right enough, But when I started doing this, I am not kidding you. I was talking about how people believe that beer was five thousand years old, and I could end It's like, yeah, all evidence suggests beer is five thousand years old. And of course archaeologists are always searching throughout Egypt and throughout the Middle East, and they're finding new evidence, and all of a sudden, it's like, well, nope, beer's six thousand years old. Beer's seven thousand years old. And then they found evidence China that oh yeah, that beer is now nine thousand years old. I'm thinking to myself, but trust the I mean, I get it. We gotta adapt, we gotta trust the new. But I don't know how they're doing this. But beer archaeologists they are out there digging through all of this, and they are going through just all kinds of artifacts and finding things and testing it to determine how old it is. And well, they came up to a cave in Israel and where they where they have now discovered what they believed is the oldest known evidence of beer brewing, and it is the Rockefet and it's spelled with a Q in there, so rocket cave where there was an open mortar and bedrock and crushed soaked plant starches and there there were some residual sugars and they attribute it to the mashing process of brewing beer. And inside the rock effect cave they are now saying that beer is eleven thousand years old. So in ten years, in ten to fourteen years that I've been talking about beer, beer has aged six thousand years from five thousand years BC to eleven thousand BC. So actually, hold on, I forgot about that. Hold on, that's eleven thousand BC, which would make it actually thirteen thousand years old. So yes, it's not just five thousand years old, but yes, it's eleven thousand BC, which makes it thirteen. As we're a show about math, we can add okay. So I don't know why it matters, but it does kind of bother me that we are constantly finding new things and we're like, hey, I think it's a bunch of archaeologists to say, hey, you remember how much traction they got on the last beer article When they said, hey, beer's older than what we thought. Let's go that route. Let's see if we can get somebody else. Maybe we get some more funding for this project, and we can stay out here a little bit longer. I think that's what's happening here. I don't think it matters whether beer goes back to eleven thousand BC or nine thousand BC or five thousand BC. No, No, it doesn't matter. But I do think that there are researchers out there saying, hey, if we can add a few zero's or add another thousand years to this, we can get another grant. So there's my take on it. What grinds my gears. So I don't how old this beer. Who cares as long as the beer doesn't go in your crisper drawer and then it gets too old and you can't drink it.
Speaker 1: So they kind of talk about what the flavors are of these ancient beers, and they expect it to be a little bit tart, like a modern Dame Goza.
Speaker 4: But or this Bam beer that we're drinking this farmhouse, which is very barnyard funky, like pepper e bread beer.
Speaker 1: But you gotta rimber that back then there was no refrigeration, there was no ice boxes or anything, so they.
Speaker 4: Were drinking reverse osmosis water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bete of that. And you gotta think about the beer probably was pretty hot when they were drinking it. What do you think the tasting notes were. Let's get it, hey, mister Cicero b JCP. What's the profile on this beer from eleven thousand years ago?
Speaker 4: Tastes like it gets you drunk, So we're gonna drink it. Because life pretty much sucks out here. There's no air conditioning hasn't been invented yet. We still got to push things around with this thing called the wheel we had just invented. And because we don't have an internal combustion engine and they haven't ruined that with electric vehicles yet. But we are not in that sweet spot. Therefore, we will drink whatever is in front of us. And that's what it tastes like.
Speaker 1: Just put yourself at that time though, you know, get the deloreate go back to that time and you know you worked all day because you know, there's no cooling off, there's no fans or anything, so you're sweating building these you know, gigantic colosseums. You're like, all right, it's been a long day. Let's have ourselves a V's warm beer.
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden, the Dolorean shows up and guy like me pops out and it's like, I don't think you did a diacadal. Rest on this pilsner here and then they and then they stabbed me and put me back in the Dolorian send me home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta throw it a jail and it called you a witch? All right, So howl does beer? We still don't know, all right? On tap this week. What we do know is what happens when you refuse to pay for a beer and it turns violent? And why does not alcoholic drinks? Why do they cost so much? And also will dive into the most popular beers in every state. Yep, there's another survey that came out. Ah, this is so much more. Hang with us, we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: The only thing we throw back on Thursday, he's a pint of beer or two or three. This is what's on tap radio. Back to James and Chad, pull my.
Speaker 4: Beer and watch this brought to you by your friends at We're all the ten taking Insurance Group art I Grand Rapids dot Com all.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gonna put you guys on the spot. You got some nice beers in front of you. Would you rather go with pizza or tacos? Beer? You got the beer? Would you rather herot witho? Pizza or tacos? What says you, Chad? What says you? Bill?
Speaker 4: Depends on the pizza.
Speaker 5: I'd love. I'd rather have a barbecue chicken pizza and beer. Then like a pepperoni pizza and beer, but I'd rather have tacos of beer.
Speaker 1: Well, let's say the pepperoni. It's gotta be one or the other. Bill, Pizza, pizza, tacos. I gotta go with pizza, okay, Chad.
Speaker 4: Tacos? Dude, give me, give me a freaking pacifico ic cold and some spicy tacos. Oh yeah, I am in.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with tacos too. And I'm gonna tell you why I go with tacos because pizza is so filling, but tacos sometimes, you know, they're small and you just have one taco. You're all right, I'm pretty good, but there's so much bread on.
Speaker 4: Tacos are kind of like a like a potato chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like especially get corn totillas.
Speaker 4: Oh right, you eat one and it's like you don't even feel like you're full, so you eat another one, and then when you start feeling full, you keep eating them and keep drinking well.
Speaker 1: According to a new survey of US adults like to eat tacos and around they eat Mexican dude at least once a month.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is a throwaway story if there ever was one. This is the dumbest research I've ever heard in my life. Ninety what percent of Americans.
Speaker 1: Like the tacos. Ninety wrong?
Speaker 4: All of them do, all, one hundred percent to eat tacos. And you do not need to do a research study or a survey to figure that out. You know, that's the dumbest thing in the world. Free tacos. There's a line, no way, no fricking way, nobody free tacos. Nobody knows I'll pass wrong. It's one hundred percent of everyone, everyone, people without teeth eat tacos.
Speaker 1: Ninety percent of US adults liked eat tacos. Eighty three percent say they eat Mexican food at least once a month. I eat Mexic food, like at least once a week.
Speaker 4: You live in Texas and of course you do.
Speaker 1: Spoiled. Uh, seventeen percent say they eat weekly. I'm not seventeen percent. We all is eat Mexican food, love it, love it, love it. And Mexican food is actually American second favorite casiede behind Italian. People like Italian food over Mexican food. You believe that interesting, It is interesting.
Speaker 4: I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: At all, so I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't. In fact, you don't see T shirts that say things like just give me beer in Lasagna, Well, it says give.
Speaker 1: Me beer and tacos, beer and pizza though that's an Italian.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't even see I don't even see T shirts that say give me beer and pizza. It says beer and tacos.
Speaker 5: Is there a classification for American food like hamburgers, hot dogs? Seems like more people like that than Italian.
Speaker 1: No, bill, Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Ie, I get what you're saying. You want to know. The most popular taco filling is.
Speaker 4: Chicken carnitas no beef, is it beef? Okay?
Speaker 1: Chicken chicken a second, followed by steak, shrimp, fish, pork, and beads six wrong and as far as the topic, their taco to have cheese lettuce is next, followed by sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, guacamole, vegetables, and beads.
Speaker 4: Give me a corn tortilla with pretty much any properly cooked meat Carnita's style, moom throw it in there, and I don't care. You give me a beer and that life's good. I'm telling you, man, So well I made I made a really nice pot roast. Fine, that's called leftovers tonight. Tacos? Why because one people are gonna choose a taco over everything. Well, we have tacos, and we have doesn't wait, you have tacos, I don't care about the other the end. You have beer too, right, Okay, fine, I'll still eat the tacos, but I'm gonna go get beer.
Speaker 1: I want to give a plug real quick. So last week, neighbor Chris and I that's their first name drop. Oh yeah, we have, we have dropped the names yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people are gonna think we don't know anybody.
Speaker 1: So neighbor Chris and I went out to No Label for their annual Octoberfest party, which was so much fun, so much fun, Oh my god. And they have Berria tacos there. Oh my god, they're so great plug Berrier boys. They're my favorite. And you get and they're cheap. They're super cheap. You get like three or four tacos for like ten bucks, and they're pretty nice sized. And then give you that. I'm just that Berria dip. And I'll tell you what, Like neighbor Chris, we ordered it, and I was actually m seeing the stein contest and so never Chris went to go get the tacos and he brought them back to the table and I was doing the steinholding contest and then it was over. So I was probably gone for about ten minutes because I did both the men and the women steinholding. And so I come back and I'm thinking, Okay, these tacos got to be cool enough to eat because they've been sitting here for like, you know, ten minutes. It's dude, I took a bite of that lava, just straight lava in my mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Unfortunately, everything tastes like rubber for a month after that tongue.
Speaker 1: Dude. The next day, I was hating life because I could not because I was hungover, because I wasn't. No, it was the fact that I couldn't taste anything.
Speaker 4: Everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chad was right. Everything just tastes like rubber. But worth it, worth it, worth it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hate to dwell on the tacos story a little bit. This is a little off script, but I want to tell you if you're ever go visiting in the Houston market or go anywhere in Texas, the best tacos come from a truck that has just hand painted lettering on it. There's no there's absolutely no uh formal signage or whatever. It's parked under a flickering street lamp in an abandoned gas station. And you're like, I'm not sure if I'm going to you know this is a bad deal or not. No, the best tacos come from there. Yeah, and they probably they'll just take your money only. And then the cool thing is is that abandoned gas station just down the road from an open gas station. We're in Texas, you can just walk in and buy a tall boy of your Mexican logger and they'll drop it in a little paper sack for you and you got your beer and tacos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. Yeah, we call the roach coaches. And yeah, you would think like I'm gonna get food poisoning. This can't be any there's good no food inspectors specting this truck.
Speaker 4: But they can't they make well, they can't catch it. It's like, hey, we gotta find that truck and inspect it. Quick, quick, pack up, we gotta roll to the next abandoned gas station.
Speaker 1: And then when they give you, they give you your food in that brown paper bag. There's just so much grease you can al those seed It's.
Speaker 4: That's right, you drinking your beer and and and the beer bottles slipping out of your hand because there's so much grease on it.
Speaker 1: But I'll tell your mand this with a I love beery tacos. But anyways, ninety percent of the people of Americans love tacos.
Speaker 4: And ten percent didn't answer the question because it's one hundred.
Speaker 1: So speaking of that, I came across another survey, and you know, I love a good survey, and it says, what's that one thing you'll never say no to? So someone asked the internet, what's the one thing you'll never say no to? And here's some of the best responses.
Speaker 4: I can think of two, but go ahead, speak on the list.
Speaker 1: Tacos aso on the list pizza. But also we have a hug, we have mushroom ravioli. What the hell is mushroom ravioli? And why is that on the list?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: An invitation to go shopping. Cute pets or specifically the opportunity to pet a cat, flowers, ice cream, money, somebody's offering to pick up a check.
Speaker 4: All right, money, Yeah, that's an easy I about a nice nap. Is beer on that list?
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm getting there a bill? Uh I paid day off? And my my favorite on the list, an invitation to have a cold beer. I can't say that. I can't turn that downumber one, Well, i'd put up a chronological or there's.
Speaker 4: A there's another invitation that I never turned down either, and well, my wife's not here to vouch for it. But if you know what I'm saying, two.
Speaker 1: Things on my list, I don't know what check.
Speaker 4: Please explain my wife gives me an invitation, or I get an invitation from anyone for a beer. There you go. Those those are two separate invitations.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I do like it when people. I do like it when people call me up and say, hey, man, you want a beer, especially like a neighbor, like dude, yes, I could take a beer.
Speaker 4: Yep. Even if you weren't thinking about You're like, uh, I'm not drinking today. All of a sudden, I look, Oh it's neighbor John. Oh wait, there's a name problem.
Speaker 1: That's one thing.
Speaker 4: When I live you want a beer, I'm like, well, I wasn't going to drink today, but yes, I would love one.
Speaker 1: When I live next to Vic and neighbor Chris, Vic would call me up and say, hey, man, I got it a six pack of IPA, Do you want one. I'm like, you know what, Yes, I do, Yes, I do. And my wife would be like, it's ten o'clock in the morning, don't care. All right, that's our number one of the books. Coming up next hour, we got to talk about recycling wasted hops for something useful and Holy my beer, and watch this which is rather disturbing. All coming up next hour. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: After reading about the evils of drinking. We made up our mind we're gonna stop reading. What's on Tap Radio continues with James Simpson and Chad Pilbeam.
Speaker 4: Superior Pest Control of West Michigan, Superior Pest dot Biz. They are sponsors of the research department here at What's on Tap Radio making sure that we have all this awesome content. Give them a call or reach out to them at Superior Pest dot biz.
Speaker 1: I'd like to welcome you to our number two of What's on Tap Radio. Got a lot on tap this hour, just getting prepared for this. Hole my beer and watch this, which is really, really, really disturbing.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say it. Normally we like to have some element of humor to hold my beer and watch this, but this is more of a public service announcement. This is more of a like, please, don't ever ever do this, and if you and if you see something, say something, because that's really what this story comes down to something.
Speaker 1: Multiple witnesses in the story.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you need to speak up. Don't be that guy. If there's an ABC show and I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves here, but there's an ABC show where what would you do? And they run these scenarios in front of you, and you watch people get mistreated in public or something happens in public, and you watch innocent people around witnessing this and to see what they would do. Would they get involved? Would they step up? Would they say something? Well, fortunately somebody does in this one.
Speaker 1: So that's coming up in a second. Let me give you a little teacher of what we got on tap this hour. Baseball playoffs happening right now. Unfortunately Chicago Cubs did not make the playoffs. But there's a good story that came out of Wrigley Field, a Chicago Cubs player and how he treated the fans. Very cool story. Also, we get this list every so often and it just depends on the publication. But another publication comes out with the most popular beers in every state. We'll look at that. Recycling waisted hops becomes something useful. We'll talk about that and what happens when refusing to pay for a beer turns violence. Also non alcoholic drinks, why they cost so much? All coming up this hour, hopefully, hopefully we get to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a lot of squeeze on here. Speaking of squeeze in James, we have an empty glass and we gotta like we can squeeze it into our glass. We gotta full can of beer that needs to be released. Bill, what are we drinking?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: The Edge of Darkness A double Hazy I p A with Mosaic Cops. Thanks to my buddies Jamie and Chris down Social Project Brewing in Bentonville, Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, home of the Walmart. Yeah, yes, the first Yes, double hazy. What this is called edge of darkness? Edge of darkness? I expect it to be a like a black hazy. I p if there was such a thing. I didn't know they were gonna call it edge of darkness for a beer this light and color. But okay, mm hm oh that's I'm not a hazy connoisseur, but that's pretty damn good. I like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's just the type of fruity melonish that you want in a haze.
Speaker 4: It does have both of those. You hit the nail on the head with that and it finishes dry, but it also a little bit boozy. You can feel the you can feel the warmth on that. That's nice eight point something eight point one. Yeah, that actually comes through really nice edge of darkness. All right, good stuff, all right, m are we prepared, we mentally prepared for this. I think you need to tell the kids, kids, go in the other room for a minute. No, because because honestly, I think the kids, if the kids are in the room, they're gonna say Mom.
Speaker 1: You didn't do that with me, did you?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, insurance group, We're sorry.
Speaker 2: Here we go, hold my beer and watch this brought to you by the ringdolda ten hacen insurance group where they'll cover you for just about everything except this.
Speaker 1: Like to thank a couple of our listeners that went to What's on Tap Radio at gmail dot com and sent me this story and said have you seen this story? I think Kip even sent the story to us. So all right, here we go. So everyone likes to talk about how much groceries are with al, but how much are people wanting for babies these days? So a couple in Arkansas we got real quiet, James, twenty one year old Darien Urban and twenty year old Charlene Ellers, So we have a twenty one year old and a twenty year old were arrested last week after they tried to sell their two month old boy to a man at a campground for one thousand dollars and a six pack of beer. And this is not one of those cool stories that like in Almost Famous where they traded penny Lane for a six pack of beer.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, if you've seen the movie, Yeah, yeah, no, it's a case the case case. It's like she cut down, She's like yeah, she's she's like, wait a minute, she's all upset, but then she drives her tears and says, what kind of beer? By the way, they might remember.
Speaker 1: It was Heineken, right, it was a case of hind case Heina.
Speaker 4: And she was all excited because she was like, okay, because it's expensive beer. Back then it was considered it was is an import.
Speaker 1: So well, unfortunately we don't know what beer was trying to go in this transaction. But yeah, they tried to sell a two month old baby boy at a campground for one thousand dollars and a six pack of beer, and they are facing felony charges of endangering the welfare of a miner and attempting to accept compensation for elinquishment of a miner. The buyer and I say, the buyer quote unquote was named Cody Martin. Even drew up a receipt and the couple signed it and it said, quote, we are signing our rights over to Cody Martin of our baby boy for one thousand dollars on nine to one of twenty twenty four disclaimer after signing this that there will be no changing y'all's two minds into never con tacked again, y'all's two minds.
Speaker 4: That's a direct quote. Yea, that is not proper grammar, but that y'all's two minds, no change in y'all two minds.
Speaker 1: I'm not actually sure if that would stand up in court, though, just put that out there. It's probably probably written about a cocktail, napkin or something. Multiple people witnessed the transaction at the campground, although no money had changed hands yet. One of the witnesses called the cops.
Speaker 4: See something, say something.
Speaker 1: Yep, did the beer change hands?
Speaker 7: Ah?
Speaker 1: That No, I don't think anything changed hands. Oh okay, So the buyer, Cody, says the mother told him she wanted to give up her son because quote, it was not working having three dogs and a baby. And even though sell the dogs, and even if this adoption would never be legal, the kid probably wouldn't be better off. When the cops got there, a deputy called emergency medical services to transport the baby to the hospital for evaluation for signs of neglect. The child isn't care of the Arkansas Department of Human Services. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of drinking happening there at the campground that day. Even one of the men who tried to help the baby was totally blinched when he was talking to the police. And so you hold my beer and watched this presented by our friends or a Renald Tenecan insurance group. You heard it, folks, a couple try to sell their baby for beer. And that, my friends, we're gonna go to break and try.
Speaker 4: To yeah, try and get get back together.
Speaker 1: We're gonna bring that back together.
Speaker 4: That the pieces are apart.
Speaker 1: Hold my beer and watch this presented by Renald Tenakan Insurance Group. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: When someone says, hold my beer, you know a trip to the er is in your future. So hold your own beer, buddy, and just listen to more of what's what's on TEMP Radio.
Speaker 1: I have to say, we're do hold my being to watch this for a long time, and I mean a long time. And I feel like that was probably the most awkward segues we had out of a hold my being to watch this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we we we we didn't plan the transition. Well, it's like, no, all right, we're gonna do this story and the lawyers are gonna let us do it. But I mean we were like, okay, we can, we can do this, and then we got to the end it was like, yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: We're out of time, and I just looking at each other like, I guess we're just gonna we're just gonna break.
Speaker 4: I guess we get time for commercials, okay.
Speaker 1: Because usually we'll come out of the hold my being to watch this and we're laughing about it, and then we'll poke fun at them. But there's really nothing like and and the.
Speaker 4: Crazy thing is is we're on radio, so we don't know what commercials are on the other side. And so I mean, for all we know, there could be a commercial for an adoption agency, there could be baby formula. We have no idea what's on the other side of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't hear that. We don't hear their commercial spots.
Speaker 4: And then we come back and we're like, all right, well that was kind of dark, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: But here here are these two young punks who have this child, and they think to themselves, well, you know, having two dogs and a child just too much responsibility. So what if we trade helm for one thousand dollars in a six pack? Of beer. It doesn't even mention what kind of six pack of beer was. It's I'm thinking Arkansas. It's not drinking that Arkansas beer that that bills bring into the table.
Speaker 4: It ain't that edge of darkness here from what's the name of that brewery again.
Speaker 5: From Social Projects?
Speaker 1: No guarantee, it's not that brewery. It's not that brewery.
Speaker 4: No, No, they don't have that fine discerning palette.
Speaker 1: No, I'm thinking something like I'm not even a mintion because I don't want to get yelled at my own distributor, going, why you pick our beers? But anyways, right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Why do you think people that drink our beers would sell their children? I mean, come on, man, that's not right.
Speaker 1: But luckily the baby safe. It was taken into the Department of Human Services and they've you know, they've been arrested. Which is a wild story out of Arkansas. So get a hold my beer and watch this. You never know, you never know what it's going to come across our desk.
Speaker 4: And the crazy thing is we have multiple people send us that story.
Speaker 1: Yes we did. It wasn't just like hey, I gotta do this story. No, we had listeners listeners, send us this story. Just keep doing it at What's on Tap Radio at gmail dot com. Or you want to slide too, our dms on TikTok x, Facebook, Instagram, whatever however you want to get ahold of us, please do so. Send us stories, beers that you want to us to crack open, and all sorts of stuff like that. Send us our you know, send us a message. But speaking of beers, I want to crack a beer because I've already finished my eleven below October Fest, which was so amazing. And no, I'm not gonna crack the same beer. I'm actually go go a little something different. I Am going to continue with the loger category, but I'll take it over at No Label Brewer Company. The other day with our good old friend neighbor Chris Love love me some neighbor Chris, got a chance to catch up with him, spend a minute stuff. I hung out with him and had a good old time. But left the brewery with a six pack of hard hats and six packs. And this is a rice logger. And what I'm gonna do because I cracked this beer, I mean I dropped this beer coming out of the fridge.
Speaker 4: Come on, dude, open it.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. Okay, that wasn't that was anti climatic, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh, okay. He was worried I was gonna spell.
Speaker 1: I thought I was gonna go everywhere, so I actually had some.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was gonna run out of toilet paper to blow his nose with because you just have to clean up spilled beer, so I have to start using his shirt.
Speaker 5: That was a full roll too.
Speaker 1: It was straw notes. Uh, take a sip of this.
Speaker 4: He was worried that the talk about beer and tacos was gonna caused another problem. Need the toilet paper. All right, what do you got there, James?
Speaker 1: Bretty sweet hints up a garden rose in the finish. Flavor is much like the Arama pilsner malt. Take a center stage. It's extremely crisp, mouthfield, light body, little bitterness.
Speaker 3: Mm.
Speaker 1: The finish is crisp and smooth, very easy drinking. And this is at four alcohol four point five percent alcohol by volume.
Speaker 4: Nice man, your palette is on point. Although did you say it's a little bretty.
Speaker 1: It's a little bretty not too much?
Speaker 4: Is that in the tasting notes or did you pick up on that on your own I picked up on my own. Okay, all right, all right, I'm just asking if that was like, if you're if you're if your tasting notes mirrored that of what was in the brochure, because although I'm not, I have never known rice loggers to be bretty.
Speaker 1: But okay, I'm a disclaimer. I did just come off in October fast and I didn't pot.
Speaker 4: And you're on and you're on decongestin.
Speaker 1: Yeah so but uh yeah poors, pale clear, white, foamy head, good head retention, but yeah, showcase is sweet.
Speaker 4: Uh my beer and watch this This week comes to us from Katie, Texas. We're forty four year old James Simpson describes a rice lagger as bretty.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta remember that I just took it. I just finished an october Fest, which is extremely ready, and that was the thing.
Speaker 4: And when police arrived on the scene and they were trying to understand why he described it as bretty, he said, I'm sorry, but I'm on a decongestant and just finished in october.
Speaker 1: Fest, right, hard hard hats and six packs and only a brewing company. It's a rice lagger, Japanese rice lagger, but at four point five percent by volume.
Speaker 4: Actually it was the beer police. I think that got him. I don't know. I'm just I'm just having fun throwing shade because Bill got me on tilt because whenever I said entomology and i'm etomology, don't put the N in there because otherwise you're talking about insects. But my one sheet went down, all right, speaking my one sheets back up and running, And speaking of being back up and running.
Speaker 1: I have to say, chatting very hoppy. This beer's not very hoppy.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't expect it to be. No Rice Laggers, I tell you, I'm a maybe it's my my age, but I'm coming around. I'm I'm liking some of the lighter, more crisp, delicious beers and just beer that tastes like beer. And Rice Laggers are just damn refreshing, really really nice beers.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: So I'm I'm fine if they're not. Yeah, I mean, you can read a newspaper through that thing right there.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 4: What the hell is? What the hell's the newspaper anyway?
Speaker 1: Anyways? Showing my age, it's what you'd used to trade puppies, yeah, used to anyway.
Speaker 4: All right, So if you remember We've talked about this on the air before. In Houston, there's something called the Beer Can House.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's actually a historical landmark. It is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an entire house just layered and layered and layered.
Speaker 1: In the early days of What's on TAB Radio, were supposed to do a show there, but it never happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just I mean thousands and thousands and thousands of cans. And we talked about before. There is a monastery. It's a I think it's in Tibet or Thailand, maybe it's Thailand, and it's made out of beer bottles, and I thought, all right, that's pretty cool. And we've talked about what to do with spent grain from the beer making process where grain used to make beer, Well, what are we going to do with it after we've done that, and it's being given to cattle to make them better? But pizza, feed them, make pizza, do make pizza? Doh yeah, yeah, yeah, you can. You can feed the cattle and take care of them, but what do you do with all of the spent hops turns out that only about twenty percent of the hop can be used in the beer process, and that's eighty percent waste. Now, some of that waste is gonna be used for biofuel, but for the most part, brewers are looking for places to just dump it. And sometimes the hops they dry out so much that they catch on fire, and it's yeah, yeah, they got these big old piles of hops that just sit out in the sun, they dry all out, and eventually, you know, one little spark or something and it sets his just wasted hops on fire. Well, a Technical University of Munich there in Germany, students back in twenty twenty two were sitting around drinking beer. I'm sure. No, it actually says that they were sitting around smoking banana leafs. No, I'm kidding. But they were wondering and they were thinking about how banana leafs and banana fibers in Colombia were being used and made into sustainable building materials, and of course they were probably drinking leader sized beers. And they went and did research and within a few months they created hop from on, like a hop phenomenon or play on the German word for hops, which is hop on, And they are now creating building materials out of spent hops instead of sending them out to landfills to just decompose or potentially catch on fire. The eighty percent waste of fresh hops is now going through a patent pending process that is producing building materials and seeing is one third of all waste generated in the EU comes from construction and demolition industry. This is a perfect target. So way to go, guys, the fighting whatever you are of the Technical University of Munich.
Speaker 1: Way to go building buildings and houses out of spent hops. I like that. Yes, I got a theory on that. Let's talk about that coming up. Also, we can talk about when refusing to pay for a beer turns violence. All this so much more. Heck with us, We'll right back.
Speaker 3: The tabs are open, and so is your fly. Oh the only little stubbies you want to see have beer in them. Zip up and buckle up for more of what's on tamp radio.
Speaker 1: All right, suffering through the allergies. Tough time a year for me, even though I enjoyed the most just because of the October Fest season. College football's back, the NFL got college or playoff baseball. Temperatures are finally getting cooler. Just an exciting time, although I just can't breathe. Last segment, we're talking about this University of Munich. And one of the other things that we used to do with What's on Tap Radio the old days is when we would come up with these stories or surveys that come out of the university whatever anything, whatever it is, university have filled the blank. We were then go seeking the mascot. We have the mascot of the University of Munich where this study was of.
Speaker 4: The Technical University of.
Speaker 1: Munich recycling wastle hops for something useful like construction.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is this is kind of like yeah, because this is one of the most prestigious universities in all of the world, the Technical University of Munich. I feel like this is something that Cheech and Chong would have come up with if they could get into an Ivy League school. I mean, because they were sitting there and they're like, hey, you know what, you know what they're doing with banana leaves far out? Man, you know what we should do? Wonder what we can do with some hops. By the way, the Technical University of Munich, their mascot is Timmy. Timmy, who's a I haven't been able to figure this out. He kind of looks like a squirrel, but I don't know if he's a squirrel or a bear, but he travels all over the world. I don't know it just him. It looks like a bear.
Speaker 1: But then I did I guess he was a ram. I have no weight.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, he's a squirrel or a He's not a ram.
Speaker 1: I thought he was a ram. Okay, okay, Well, well we were talking about it. Yeah, these reset the story. So these students at this university.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, so here we go. You're making beer. Let's start with the problem. You're burning beer. You got leftover green All right, we'll give it to cattle, or we'll sell it to farmers cheap feed. Okay, problem solved. But if you're using fresh whole hops, the waste is eighty percent on that where only twenty percent gets used in the brewing process. Well that eighty percent it gets tossed into the trash or it gets thrown out into a field. They're looking for a way to dispose of it, and turns out some of the stuff when it breaks down creates greenhouse gases, and if it dries out too much, it can catch on fire. But there's really very little use for that eighty percent waste that comes from hops, and these guys were sitting around They're like, wait a minute, what are you gonna do with leftover banana leaves and all those banana fibers, Like, well, they turned it into construction material. Well. The years twenty twenty two, we're at one of the most prestigious universities in the world, the Technical University of Munich. We have Timmy, the traveling mascot. Why not figure out how to turn hops into building materials? And that's what they're doing. So it's a patent pending process using chopped up and separated hops with other binding agents, and they're creating these thermal insulation and building boards to be able to do construction. I guess it's going to be kind of like if you were to use sheet rock or drywall. Eh, well, maybe you could have a all natural hop infused with trywall. I don't know how that works, but they're finding ways to reclaim those materials.
Speaker 1: All I know is if I learned anything from the Three Little Pigs that if you have a housemade out of straw, a househo made out of hey oh, a house made out of spent hops, and a house made out of brick. I'm going with the brick. Yeah, out there.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm going I'm going with spent hops. Dude, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Well, because you think about this for one second. If the wolf knows that it's a house made out of spent hops, he's going to be like, hey, I should get rather than blow their house down, I should hang out with these guys because they probably have beer facts. Speaking of which, Bill and I we got a beer here that we want to crack. What are we cracking?
Speaker 5: Bill from the Science Project Brewing Company, the Iron Hops?
Speaker 4: Juicy?
Speaker 1: I p a. Where are they out of?
Speaker 4: Where's this place? Ah? Good question? Indiana? Okay, Collinsville, there we go, look at it.
Speaker 5: He pulled that out of his Collinsville, Indiana.
Speaker 4: All righty, he quickly pulled that one out.
Speaker 1: All right, say Arkansas? All right?
Speaker 4: No, but no, but three Floyds is out of Indiana as well, So I mean he's he's keeping it is, keeping it real. All right. Well, let's take quick sip nice all right, I gotta I gotta let my palette adjust because we just came off of a hazy and that's a juicy and right. Yeah, we had a really really good hazy, and now I gotta I gotta let my palate adjust. Never judge a beer until the third sip, and that was our first sip. We will come back to that and we will let you know what we think be before the end of the segment. But James, yeah, I got some I want to talk about something.
Speaker 1: Some tragic news to report. So I had this philosophy, whatever Chad and I we go out to anything, Great American Beer Festival or we're going out to any kind of events. When I'm with Rodney and we go out to the craft beers conventions, I have I have a saying that always get back to the hotel by midnight, because nothing ever good happens after midnight. Ever.
Speaker 4: Pause pause. When we went out to the Great American Beer Festival the very first time, we were out until two something am.
Speaker 1: You were out till two am?
Speaker 7: Not me?
Speaker 4: Can I remember this? I remember this, and it was it's like, Chad, nothing good happens after two am. And then we started getting reeling it back in. Its like all right, we're gonna get in one thirty. We got it as like one forty five, Like Chad, nothing good happens after one thirty am, and then one and then twelve, and eventually it got to be twelve to be like Chad, that's normally my rule. My rule is nothing good happens after midnight and.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, what was your rule? And then I still stick to that to this day. I want to be back at the hotel. I can be hey, I can be at the hotel bar after midnight, but I want to be back at the hotel because here's another story. Here's another story to back me up on this. So two people were slashed in Chinatown. This happened in Brooklyn after refusing to give a group money for beer. So two people are slashed in Chinatown after refusing to give a group money for beer.
Speaker 4: So two young men people walk up and they're like, hey, yeah, okay, I got you.
Speaker 1: So two young men ages twenty four and twenty seven were slashed in the arm and stomach around three twelve am. So I guess it can't be around three twelve. It would be three.
Speaker 4: Twelve yeah, I know, yeah, at approximately three twelve and fifteen seconds. Yeah, so both it's very specific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So both men were taken to an area hospital and stable condition. A group approached the two men asked them for beer money, but the twenty four and twenty seven year old refused, according to sources, and the refusal sparky fight and then ended with the slashing, sources said, and police are now searching for three people that believe are were involved in the attack, according to NYPD, and it was not immediately clear whether the men knew their suspected attackers. So again, nothing ever good happens after midnight.
Speaker 4: No, no, this story tells you that nothing good happens after three eleven in the morning, because this happened had three twelve. So at three eleven they were fine. At three twelve is when things went south. So if you're out you're having a good time, remember you're looking at your watch. You're like, it's three oh eight. Man, we've got three minutes. That's aul. We got to get home because nothing good happens after three eleven. And so that's question, do you have a rule that nothing good happens after such and such time?
Speaker 1: Well, it's good you want to get back to you know, the hotel, to get into good night's sleep. And so I'm thinking, you know, why not get back of midnight, because you know, get yourself into good night's sleep and again not get murdered or slashed.
Speaker 4: Okay, look at James being all responsible. It's like, man, I want a good I want a good night's sleep, and I don't want to be stabbed in the stomach. Okay, all right, Well, I mean, you know, James has his priorities. I have mine. I think I think some really good stories come out at three twelve in the morning. I mean, I'll take my chances. I'm too old to stay out that light. Yeah, bills like, Bill's like three twelve. I don't. I've never been stabbed at three twelve in the afternoon. No morning bills.
Speaker 6: More.
Speaker 5: Well, I got to get back, chase the kids off my lawn.
Speaker 1: Well I'm in this campground. Story took place in the afternoon, But I get you know, nobody was stabbed. But yeah, here these people are like how does that even happen? Like you're just walking, you know, mine your own business, and somebody is like, hey, get me money for beer now.
Speaker 4: But we don't even know how they Maybe they asked nice, Maybe they were like, yeah it was hey, hey, hey, by the way, I like my kids happen to have any yah, I like any extra cash for for a beer because we're kind of thirsty and just you know, we're fresh out of cash. You're like, go away, you bums. We don't want anything. It's like, oh, you call us a bum all right, here here, let's see what you're thinking, like.
Speaker 1: This, Oh, I see what you're saying. By the way, so you're thinking maybe they provoked there, like hey, get out of here, losers, get a job, you bumps. And they're like, hey, man, we're just asking you for money. And maybe they were the addressor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you're gonna be like that, I'm gonna stab you, by the way, not the appropriate response. And and you know you learned you just walk away. I mean sticks and stones, right, sticks and stones may break my bones, but knives will stab you in the stomach, okay, And just don't do that.
Speaker 1: And the point of this conversation is friends, nothing ever good happens after midnight or three eleven three or three eleven three eleven am. But nothing you ever go says after midnight. All Right, we gotta take a break. Coming up to the last segment, we got a lot of stories we gotta try to squeeze in in clearing what happened in the Cubs game, which is amazing and not alcoholic drinks while they cost so much, And if we could get to it, the most popular beers in every USA state, we'll try. We'll do our best. All this so much more. In the last semement, hang with us.
Speaker 3: We'll right back and now you're weekend forecast.
Speaker 4: Chance of.
Speaker 3: Beer. You've got What's on Tap radio?
Speaker 4: We don't thank our friends at Tantrik Brewing Company, located in Alegan, Michigan, right there on the Kalamazoo River. Beautiful sites, beautiful beer, beautiful food, and uh yeah, you see the beer logic guy in there hanging out. Stop by get a free What's on tap radio? High five? Great beer, great times, great food. Located an Alligan, Michigan. Tantrik Brewing Company.
Speaker 1: All right, last segment of the week. Still so much to get to, so buckle up, we're gonna fly fast. But this last segment of the week brought to you. Buy our friends all Tantrik Brewing Company.
Speaker 4: Tantrik Brewing Company. Look, hey a Alligan, Michigan, where you can stop in real fast, grab yourself beer, and walk around the social district to downtown. Tantrik brew.
Speaker 1: All right, so every now and then we get these stories. Once every couple months, a new map shows the most popular beers in every USA state. So let's look who let's look at what this survey put out, all right, and I think this is I'm gonna put my editorial hat on dumbest survey I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: So I'm a survey well, even dumber than the ninety percent of people like to eat tacos. Whenever we know it's one hundred.
Speaker 1: I was a great That was a great survey. Anyways. A new study has showcased the most popular beers across the United States based on the Internet search data, highlighting regional preferences which some household names top charts. The analysts by health research company blah blah blah dot com, which used Google trends and they're not a sponsored so I'm not gonna plug them, but they use Google trends and revealed some surprising state by state favorites. The three most popular beers in the United States are, according to this Google trend data, number three, Modello number two, bud Light number one, Corona. Corona's the most popular overall, leading in numerous states, especially in the South, states like Alabama, Florida, and Georgia show preference for the Mexican beer, demonstrating its appeal far beyond its home country. On the West Coast, Mexican beers like Modello and Corona dominate, but Light comes in second and is the most popular in the Midwest, including North Dakota, which is a state that drinks the most beer. Uh people, Wisconsin favorite fat tire Get them out of here, gosh will. While Miller Lite is popular in West Virginia and Missouri. Blue Moon tops the rankings in Minnesota, Michigan, and Ohio. New England remains loyal to its local breweries, which Samuel Adams being favorite in states like Massachusetts and Maine. So Pennsylvania, you would think would be yigling, right, Yeah, Nope, incorrect.
Speaker 4: Don't you dare say Iron City, Pennsylvania, Corona Light Corona. That makes perfect sense because tacos from Pennsylvania are amazing. Have you never had a Pittsburgh taco? I mean, my gosh, it's like you're practically in Mexico.
Speaker 1: City, Texas, Dos Ekes, Louisiana, Uh, Corona, Missouri, Yingling California, Modelo. What about New York Corona.
Speaker 4: Just stop throw the story. Just throw it away. I'm just saying, Missouri, Yeah they can now they just opened up and distributor there. Yeah, so distribution there.
Speaker 1: It's one of these stupid, these stupid, stupid stories that we get every now and then. According to some whoever put the study out, is like, this is the most popular beers per state according to Google trends.
Speaker 4: Dude, that survey that you did of things you can't say no to? Mushroom ravioli. Yeah, you know, things I've thought of my whole life. It's you know, you know, I don't know, you know, spending some quiet time alone, you know what I'm talking about with my wife having a beer, slice of pizza, a taco and mushroom rally Olie. Yeah, you know what, We're gonna create our own survey. Bill and I when we get off air here in a few minutes, Bill and I gonna say, now, we're gonna create our own survey, and we're gonna say from it's from some the Technical University of Munich because and that's where we attended. And Timmy approve this their mascot, all right, you know what, and people are gonna believe us too. You know why, I'll tell you why, because non alcoholic drinks are on the rise, and everybody's gonna think we were drinking non alcoholic beer because we do a show about beer, and clearly non alcoholic beers are the way to go. By the way, if you have thoughts about this, feel free to reach out to us on our social Instagram, x, Facebook at What's on Tap Radio, send us an email What's on Tap Radio at email dot com.
Speaker 1: But I have I've got a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of problem with something. I always wondered why alcoholic beers cost as much as or sorry, non alcoholic beers cost as much as alcoholic beers. I feel like there's something missing. Yeah, maybe, yeah, and maybe it should be a little less. But then I was like, clearly, non alcoholic cocktails, there's no way, because a margin on liquor is so much higher. There's no way non alcoholic cocktails cost as much as alcoholic cocktails. They do. And oh yeah, there is math behind this. The price tag of a quote unquote zero proof drink turns out that finding ingredients that mimic the actual alcoholic drink to make the mouth feel the same, the taste the same, to create the essence of the drink. The ingredients are harder to fine, harder to source, the technique for making it, and the labor involved, and the quality of juices and fruits which tend to spoil and you can't hold them for very long. All go into this and it's essentially the same process, only they're keeping the spirits out. And also how do you find spirits and find a combination of ingredients that taste like the real thing but contain none of the alcohol. And that is why you're paying seven, eight, nine, fourteen or eighteen dollars for non alcoholic spirits. And so lots of research has gone into this, and people have said, why aren't they less expensive? The answer is because we can charge whatever we want. Reminds me of a story of Ballast Point. Whenever they were out there and they were sixteen dollars for a six pack and everybody else was eight dollars. It was like, why is ballast Point so much more? When I talk to the rep from Ballast Point at the time, he said, because we can charge it and get it. And I think that's what's gonna happen. And as a reminder, folks, you heard it here first on What's on Tap Radio, I Chad the beer logic guy said, the next bubble to burst will be the non alcoholic beer bubble. We'll see people are gonna people are going back.
Speaker 1: Hey, by the way, speaking of ballast point, Uh, how's ballast point doing right now? Who?
Speaker 4: I went to the store to buy some ballast point about five years ago and I found it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it since what about five minutes ago? Not there?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Hey, you know what, you're not your twelve dollars non alcoholic martini. I hope you make a million dollars with that idea. All right, James, bring us home with a feel good story where I'm not paying full price for non alcoholic beverages.
Speaker 1: This night might not be a feel good story for the Chicago Cubs fans, who saw a very disappointing season for the However, it was a very nice ending for the Chicago Cubs, especially for those out in the left field because the show appreciation for the Cubs. Faithful left fielder Ian Happ chucked a ball wrapped with one hundred dollars bills to the left field stands on Sunday. The gesture marked the team's final game of the season, which the Cincinnati Reds actually took them out three to nothing over Chicago. But Hap has been with the Cubs since twenty seventeen has been keen to share his love of the fans during the stint of the Winny City and last year, the two time Gold Glove winner tossed a ball wrapped in money to the to a Cubs super fan. And on this ball he threw to a fan, they pulled this up. I thought it was very cool. It says thanks for the support all season, beers for the left field crew on me, and on the ball was a yeah, look was about three hundred dollars, and so he the whole left field crew around the beers. And I thought that.
Speaker 4: Three hundred dollars that bought like what eight people of beer?
Speaker 1: No word if they turned into a giant snake, you know, how like to do that at Wrigley feel I thought that was pretty cool. I like I and half he's a he's a great player, but that nice jet.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool. Just to just take some cash, put a rubber band around it, write a handwritten not one like hey buy some people some beer. Here you go, Thanks a lot, pal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there you go. So shout out to Ian Half and shout out to your team if your team is in the playoffs. Sorry Chicago Cubs, but hey, a least got a cool story out of it. But it is time to get out of here, Chad, I see, I told you. Chad was like, there's no way we're gonna get to all the stories. And we did. We did.
Speaker 4: That's what James says every episode. He's like, we're never going to get to all these and then he's like, where there's a will, there's a way, and that way was brought to you by these fine sponsors.
Speaker 1: That'd be Tantric Brewing, Superior Pest Control, be a lot of conference events, rend sag Insurance, The Backyard Girl, keeping the lights nice and bright here in stud us, Harbor Light, Brilliing of course sponsoring our podcast cast branding. So for mister Bill Logic, Chad Pilbee, Harblite Bill, I am James point Dester Simpson and my allergies hanging out saying thanks for checking out what's on tap radio. We hope you're joining it, and we hope that you joined us for another action back radio show next week. But my allergy is done by it. We'll see that. Folks cheers,