Speaker 1: Welcome to the quart Side Quantum Physics Podcast, an exploration of the fundamental structure of reality, where quantum laws govern matter, energy, and information. Here, uncertainty is a feature, not a flaw, and understanding begins with the smallest scales.
Speaker 2: So I want you to just, uh imagine the entire history of the universe for a second, like that simple story you probably learned back in grade school, right.
Speaker 3: The whole big bang expanding outward kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Exactly, There's big bang and then gravity slowly starts pulling everything back together. It's you know, it's like throwing a baseball straight up into the air.
Speaker 3: It shoots up, but eventually it has to slow down.
Speaker 2: Right, But here is the massive twist that changes literally everything. The baseball isn't slowing down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually shooting upward faster and.
Speaker 2: Faster, faster and faster. And the invisible force that's driving this crazy acceleration is what we call dark energy. And the scale of this is just mind bending because it makes up what nearly seventy percent of the entire cosmos, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right around sixty eight to seventy percent. I mean, it is the dominant feature of reality.
Speaker 2: Which is wild and For the longest time, science just thought this mysterious energy was a fixed, unchanging background feature of the universe.
Speaker 3: It's constant cosmological constant. Yeah, that was the absolute bedrock assumption for decades.
Speaker 2: But and this is why we're talking about this today. Recent discoveries are suggesting that it might not be constant at all, might actually be alive in a sense dynamic evolving, which.
Speaker 3: Is a terrifying and thrilling prospect for astrophysics honestly, totally.
Speaker 2: So our mission right now is to figure out what happens when the foundation of reality turns out to be shifting beneath our feet. And you know how this evolving mystery might actually determine the ultimate destiny of existence itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it literally rewrites how the world ends.
Speaker 2: Right, But before we get into how dark energy is changing, we probably need to talk about what we actually thought it was doing in the first.
Speaker 3: Place, the whole illusion of the constant exactly.
Speaker 2: So walk me through this. What is the establishment view here?
Speaker 3: Well, it's all anchored in what we call the standard cosmological model. And understand it, you really have to go back to.
Speaker 2: Albert Einstein always, back to Einstein.
Speaker 3: Always, so he had this concept called the cosmological constant, and the idea was that empty space itself possesses a fixed energy density.
Speaker 2: Okay, so empty space isn't just nothing, it has an energy to it.
Speaker 3: Right. When Einstein was working on his field equations for general relativity, the math basically showed that a universe filled with matter should be dynamically unstable, like it should either be collapsing in on itself or blowing apart.
Speaker 2: Because gravity's pulling all the matter together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. But back in the nineteen tens, everyone including Einstein, just assumed the universe was static, eternal, and unmoving. So to make his equations work with the static universe, he threw in this cosmological constant, a mathematical fix. Essentially, it acted as the steady, uniform outward push to perfectly balance out the inward pull of gravity.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So he just added it to make the math match what people believed at the time pretty much.
Speaker 3: And of course, a few years later Edwin Hubble realizes the universe is actually expanding, and Einstein calls the constant his biggest blunder. He just drops it.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. But then we brought it back didn't.
Speaker 3: We We had to because in the late nineteen nineties we realized the expansion of the universe was accelerating. So physicists resurrected Einstein's constant. But this time it wasn't just balancing gravity, it was completely overpowering it.
Speaker 2: So in this model, does the energy ever change?
Speaker 3: No, that's the key. In this constant model, dark energy remains perfectly identical across all of time. As the universe expands, you get more empty space, which just means you get proportionally or dark energy.
Speaker 2: Huh. So it's a steady, uniform push that just causes galaxies to drift apart faster and faster forever exactly.
Speaker 3: It offered this incredible mathematical elegance for decades. The equations aligned perfectly with everything we observed distant supernovae, how galaxies are distributed, even the cosmic microwave background.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get why scientists love that. It makes the universe predictable. It's like setting your cruise control on the highway.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: You said it to sixty five. You expect the car to maintain the exact same steady push forward. We basically thought the universe was on cosmic cruise control.
Speaker 3: We really did, and they're psychological comfort in that.
Speaker 2: But if the equations work so remarkably well for so long, what made us start questioning the dashboard like why did the cruise control start flashing warning lights?
Speaker 3: Well, it really comes down to our instruments getting better. The universe wasn't on cruise control, and the transition happened when the math just literally stopped adding up.
Speaker 2: And this is what we call the Hubble tension.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Hubble tension. It is arguably the most famous and frankly most frustrating inconsistency in modern astronomy today.
Speaker 2: Break that down for me, what exactly is the tension?
Speaker 3: So we're trying to measure the expansion rate of the universe, and to do that we have two completely different, highly precise methods. Okay, the first method looks at the really early universe. We look at the cosmic microwave background, which is basically the afterglow of the Big Bang.
Speaker 2: Right from when the universe was super young.
Speaker 3: Exactly just a few hundred thousand years old. We take that data, apply our standard model of a constant dark energy, and fast forward to predict how fast the universe should be expanding.
Speaker 2: Today, and we get a specific number.
Speaker 3: We do around sixty seven kilometers per second per megaparsec.
Speaker 2: Okay, sixty seven, got it.
Speaker 3: And the second method, the second method ignores the early universe completely. It just looks at nearby galaxies. Right now, we use a cosmic distance ladder looking at specific stars and supernovae to directly measure how fast the look universe is stretching out today.
Speaker 2: And that gives us a different number, a.
Speaker 3: Completely different number, around seventy three kilometers per second per megaparsec.
Speaker 2: Wait, really, it's a huge gap.
Speaker 3: It's about a nine percent difference. And initially everyone just assumed it was human error, right, like a calibration glitch or something exactly, a smudge on a telescope lens, some dust obscuring the stars, just some kind of experimental mistake.
Speaker 2: It's imagine you're measuring your living room to buy a rug, right, yeah, and you use two different highly precise tape measures. One says the room is ten feet wide and the other says.
Speaker 3: It's twelve feet and you check it again and again.
Speaker 2: Right, no matter how many times you check, they give different answers. So at some point you have to admit the tape measures are fine, the room itself is changing.
Speaker 3: That's exactly the disturbing implication of the Hubble tension. The measurements have become insanely precise over the last decade, the Hubble space telescope, the Plank satellite. They've practically eliminated the chance of this being a statistical fluke.
Speaker 2: So the error is not in the tools.
Speaker 3: No, the tools are fine, which means the universe has evolved differently than our foundational theory is assumed.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if the early universe in the modern universe are playing by different speed limits, the underlying engine, dark energy must be shifting gears.
Speaker 3: It has to be. It can't be a constant.
Speaker 2: So what kind of shifting room are we actually dealing with here? If the walls are stretching at varying speeds, what is causing that?
Speaker 3: Well, this is where we get into some really radical new theories. Recent large scale surveys are hinting that dark energy was actually weaker or stronger at different periods in cosmic history.
Speaker 2: Which totally breaks the Einstein.
Speaker 3: Model, completely shatters it, and the leading concept to replace it is something called quintessence.
Speaker 2: Quintessence, it sounds like a sci fi movie.
Speaker 3: I know, it sounds a bit mystical, but it's grounded in quantum physics. The theory of quintessence is that dark energy is not a property of empty space itself. Instead, it's a dynamic quantum field that permeates the entire universe.
Speaker 2: A field like magnetic field kind of.
Speaker 3: It's a scaler field. And the important thing is that it can slowly fluctuate and evolve over billions of years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's not a rigid law. It's more like a physical substance.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. It treats dark energy like a fluid that can have shifting properties like variations in pressure density over time.
Speaker 2: But wait, how does empty space have a fluctuating field in it? Isn't it you know? Empty?
Speaker 3: Ah? Well, from a quantum physics perspective, empty space is never truly.
Speaker 2: Empty, right, because of quantum mechanics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the vacuum of space is actually filled with fluctuating energies. You have these virtual particles just constantly bubbling in and out of existence.
Speaker 2: It's it's almost like a boiling pot of water. Yes, empty space is less like a blank canvas and more like this boiling pot, just constantly bubbling with energy.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect analogy, and so physicists thought, hey, maybe the energy from all this bubbling quantum vacuum is the dark energy.
Speaker 2: That makes logical sense. Yeah, it provides the mechanism for the push it.
Speaker 3: Does until you actually try to calculate it. And this leads to what physicists call the quantum catastrophe.
Speaker 2: The catastrophe that sounds bad.
Speaker 3: It's widely considered the most embarrassing mismatch in the entire history of science.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, how bad is it?
Speaker 3: Well, when physicists theoretically calculate how much energy should be in this bubbling quantum vacuum, the answer they get is larger than the observed dark energy by a factor of ten to the one hundred and twentieth power.
Speaker 2: Wait, ten to the one hundred and twentieth that's not just a rounding error.
Speaker 3: No, it's a one followed by one hundred and twenty zeros. If the quantum vacuum actually had that much energy, the repulsive force would be so violent that the entire universe would have ripped itself apart before a single atom could even form.
Speaker 2: That's insane. So our calculations are just catastrophically.
Speaker 3: Wrong, fundamentally broken. We are missing something profoundly important about the fundamental nature of reality.
Speaker 2: But if our calculations are that wrong, why do we trust our understanding of quantum fields at all when it comes to the cosmos, Like, maybe we're barking up the completely wrong tree.
Speaker 3: And that is exactly what some physicists are saying. Because the calculations are so badly misaligned, some people are abandoning the idea of an energy field altogether.
Speaker 2: Really, so if it's not an energy field, what else could it be.
Speaker 3: Well, they're looking for even stranger explanations, like what if cosmic acceleration isn't a new energy at all, but a sign that we need to modify the laws of gravity.
Speaker 2: Modify gravity? You mean Einstein was wrong about that too.
Speaker 3: Potentially, the idea is that gravity might behave fundamentally differently across enormous intergalactic distances than general relativity predicts.
Speaker 2: So on a small scale like our solar system, gravity works normally, but when you zoom out to billions of light years, it starts acting weird.
Speaker 3: Exactly the attractive force might weaken faster than we thought, or maybe it even becomes repulsive at those massive scales.
Speaker 2: But modifying gravity feels, i don't know, almost like.
Speaker 3: Cheating, like a mathematical cop out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like looking at a mirage on a highway. Right. You see this wavy stuff in the distance, and you think you're seeing a puddle of water, like a brand new physical thing. But actually it's just the laws of light bending in a way you didn't expect over a long distance. So are we just seeing a gravitational mirage.
Speaker 3: That's a huge area of debate, differentiating between adding a new ingredient like dark energy, versus changing the rules of the game itself, like modified gravity is really difficult.
Speaker 2: Are there other options besides just changing gravity?
Speaker 3: Oh, it gets weirder. We get into extra dimensions beyond ordinary space time.
Speaker 2: Oh man, like string theory.
Speaker 3: Stuff exactly like string theory. There are models suggesting our universe is just interacting with a much larger multiversal structure, like we are a three dimensional membrane floating in a higher dimensional space.
Speaker 2: Okay, you caa have to slow down a membrane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they call them brains. And the idea is that while forces like light and electromagnetism are stuck on our brain, Gravity isn't Gravity might be leaking out into these extra dimensions.
Speaker 2: Wait, gravity's leaking out of our universe.
Speaker 3: That's the theory, and over huge cosmological distances, that leakage dilutes the strength of gravity, which makes it look like the universe is accelerating its expansion.
Speaker 2: Because the rubber band pulling it together is losing its snap.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it mimics dark energy perfectly without actually needing a new energy field. Or the universe might be transitioning through vast landscapes of possible energy states over cosmic time.
Speaker 2: So what does it actually mean for our understanding of reality if gravity itself is just like a shape shifter, or if we're bleeding into extra dimensions.
Speaker 3: Well, whether it's an evolving quantum field like quintessence or changing gravity or multiverse interactions, a fluctuating dark energy doesn't just change our past, it completely rewrites the end of.
Speaker 2: The world, ah the ultimate fate of the universe.
Speaker 3: Right, because if this energy isn't constant, the ending isn't fixed.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's walk through these doomsday scenarios. Because if the standard model was right, and dark energy is constant, we get what's called the heat death, right, correct.
Speaker 3: The heat death is basically a slow freezing fade to black.
Speaker 2: Right. Constant dark energy just keeps pushing things apart forever. Galaxies drift away from each other until they vanish from the night sky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the stars eventually burnout. Gas for new stars gets exhausted. Matter decays into this cold, dark, near eternal emptiness, absolute zero.
Speaker 2: It's like stretching a giant rubber band and it just freezes in that stretched position forever.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's bleak, but it's stable.
Speaker 2: But if dark energy is evolving, we get some different options. Yeah, like the big rip. Tell me about the big rip.
Speaker 3: The big rip happens if this evolving dark energy actually gets stronger over time? Oh no, Yeah, the expansion doesn't just push galaxies apart. It becomes so violent that it eventually overcomes gravity entirely. First it tears apart galaxy clusters, Then it strips stars away from their galaxies.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't stop there, does it.
Speaker 3: No. Months before the end, planetary orbits destabilize, planets are ripped away from their suns. Minutes before the end, the planets themselves are torn apart.
Speaker 2: The rubber band gets buled so hard that the rubber itself dissolves into nothing.
Speaker 3: Literally. Eventually, the expansion outpaces the electromagnetic forces holding molecules together, and then the strong nuclear force holding atoms together. Individual atoms are shredded.
Speaker 2: So total sub atomic dissolution. That's horrifying. But there's a third option, right, the big crunch.
Speaker 3: Right, This is the opposite. This happens if dark energy weakens over time or actually reverses its polarity.
Speaker 2: So the rubber band snaps back exactly.
Speaker 3: The expansion slows down, stops, and the universe starts collapsing inward on itself.
Speaker 2: It hits you in the hand and hits hard.
Speaker 3: Galaxies collide, the background radiation of the universe heats up, basically roasting everything until all matter and energy are crushed into a single, infinitely dense singularity.
Speaker 2: But a lot of physicists think a big crunch wouldn't just be the end, right, like it could a cyclic rebirth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cyclic models. The idea is that the big crunch bounces back and triggers a new big bang. The universe dies and is reborn over and.
Speaker 2: Over, which is fascinating. We're gonna have to ask if the universe is this evolving dynamic system. Does a cyclic rebirth actually make more physic sense or is that just human bias? Like we like seasons, we like the idea of life and death and rebirth. Does a cyclic model just feel better than a one way trip to oblivion?
Speaker 3: That is a phenomenal question. There is definitely a philosophical comfort in cyclic models. It avoids the messy problem of an absolute beginning or an absolute end. It's poetic, it is poetic, but theoretical physics isn't built on poetry. Models like the ex pyrotic universe, which uses those colliding brains we talked about to explain the bounce. They are mathematically rigorous, so.
Speaker 2: They aren't just wishful thinking.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. But ultimately, the only way to strip away the human bias and figure out which of these three apocalypses is our actual destiny is through observation. We have to map the exact evolutionary curve of dark energy.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to the ultimate problem. We're hunting ghosts pretty much because to figure out which doom awaits us, we need proof. Ah, but how do you measure something you literally can't see, touch, or isolate in a lab. Dark energy is entirely invisible.
Speaker 3: It's the ultimate forensic astronomy. We are looking for the invisible shadows and wakes left behind by this force.
Speaker 2: So how do we actually do that well?
Speaker 3: Cosmologists and for its existence by looking for tiny, tiny deviations in large scale cosmic behavior, like what like looking at distant supernovae, how galaxies cluster together over billions of years, and something called gravitational lensing.
Speaker 2: Gravitational lensing, that's when the gravity of huge objects bends light.
Speaker 3: Around them, right, exactly, Massive structures like filaments of dark matter distort the space time around them. As light from background galaxies travels to us, it passes through these distortions, and the shape of those distant galaxies look slightly stretched or smeared.
Speaker 2: But the distortion has to be microscopic.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly subtle.
Speaker 2: It's like trying to prove the wind exists, right, but you're not allowed to feel it on your skin. You can only look at photographs of trees bending in the distance.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what it's like. We look at the bending of light to map out where the dark matter is because dark matter pulls things together while dark energy pushes.
Speaker 2: Them apart, a cosmic tug of war.
Speaker 3: Yes, and by mapping this tug of war across billions of years of cosmic history, we can reconstruct exactly how strong dark energy was at different epochs.
Speaker 2: Okay, so why does mapping the history of the universe's structure help us predict its future shape?
Speaker 3: Because if we can see that the push of dark energy was weaker five billion years ago than it is today, we have proven it's an evolving field. We can plot that curve and project it forward to see if we're headed for a rip, a crunch, or a freeze.
Speaker 2: Wow. And we have new instruments coming online to do this.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, and they are completely transforming the science. We have the James Web Space Telescope, obviously, but there's also the European Space Agency's EUCLID mission.
Speaker 2: EUCLID is up there now mapping the dark universe exactly.
Speaker 3: Its entire goal is to map the cosmic web out to ten billion light years. And then on the ground we have the Vera Reuben Observatory in Chile.
Speaker 2: I've heard about this one. It's taking a massive time lapse of the sky.
Speaker 3: It's unprecedented. It will capture the entire southern sky every few nights, generating petabytes of data. It will catalog millions of supernovae. By combining data from Euclid and Reuben, we are finally going to get the precision we need.
Speaker 2: It's so much data. We're talking about measuring the shapes of billions of galaxies.
Speaker 3: Billions. It requires supercomputers just to process the images, but it's the only way to pin down exactly what dark energy is doing.
Speaker 2: It really forces a philosophical paradigm shift, doesn't it. The pursuit of these invisible forces leads to this really profound realization about our own limitations as a species.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly humbling.
Speaker 2: Because, I mean, you think about evolutionary biology. Human brains evolve to survive on Earth. We evolve to dodge predators, fine food, build shelters, right.
Speaker 3: We didn't evolve to instinctively understand the quantum architecture of space time across billions of light years exactly.
Speaker 2: And the humbling truth is that all the visible stuff, the stars, the planets, the galaxies, everything we can see with our eyes is just a tiny surface layer. It's less than five percent of the universe.
Speaker 3: The real mechanics of reality are governed by invisible structures dark matter and dark energy that are currently beyond our comprehension.
Speaker 2: It's historically parallel to every major scientific revolution, right No, Oh, absolutely, like discovering the Earth isn't the center of the universe, or that space and time aren't absolute, or that solid matter is mostly empty space. Every single time our basic assumptions get shattered.
Speaker 3: And dark energy is forcing the next great conceptual transformation. It's introducing the idea of a living universe.
Speaker 2: I love that phrase living universe.
Speaker 3: If dark energy evolves, the cosmos isn't just a passive mechanical backdrop where galaxies drift around like dust motes. It's an unfolding dynamic system. There are hidden processes actively shaping reality.
Speaker 2: It means reality itself is profoundly unfinished.
Speaker 3: Yes. From the perspective of human knowledge, we are barely scratching the surface.
Speaker 2: We walk around thinking we've got the universe pretty much figured out. I mean, we have smartphones, we split the atom, we put rovers on Mars, but we literally cannot explain seventy percent of the room we're sitting in.
Speaker 3: It's wild when you phrase it like that.
Speaker 2: How do scientists deal with the psychological weight of that? Knowing that every new observation like the Hubble tension just seems to reveal deeper mysteries rather than final answers.
Speaker 3: Honestly, most physicists thrive on it. If we had all the final answers, the job would be boring. The mystery means the universe is still scientifically vibrant. It means there is still profound fundamental physics to be discovered.
Speaker 2: It's job security for astrophysicists exactly.
Speaker 3: But it also means we have to stay humble and be willing to throw out our most cherished theories when the universe tells us we're wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, let's bring this all back down to Earth for a second and just recap the incredible journey we've been on.
Speaker 3: It's been a lot to process.
Speaker 2: It, really is. We started with this simple, predictable universe driven by a constant, elegant force. The cruise control was set, but as our tools got better, we realized the math was breaking. The Hubble tension showed us that the universe is stretching at different speeds we explored how this might be a fluctuating quantum field like quintessence, causing massive headaches for quantum physicists.
Speaker 3: The ten to the one hundred and twenty is power mistake.
Speaker 2: Exactly the worst prediction in science, and that led us to the truly mind bending possibilities that maybe gravity itself is changing, or that our universe is bleeding out into extra dimensions.
Speaker 3: And all of this dictates whether we freeze and a heat death, tear apart in a big rip, or collapse in a big crunch.
Speaker 2: Which is why we have to build these massive observatories like Euclid and Reuben, just to hunt for the invisible clues left behind. It's an amazing time for cosmology. But before we wrap up, I want to leave you with a thought that really builds on all this. Okay, am ready we talk about the universe evolving, right, We've seen that dark energy might be a mutating, shifting force over billions of years, almost like a living organism adapting. Well, if the underlying forces of our universe are capable of evolving, does that mean the laws of physics themselves have a lifespan?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow, think about it. We treat the laws of physics as immortal. But if the rules of reality can die and be replaced as these quantum fields shift, what unimaginable physics might govern the next version of the cosmos after our dark energy has finished its work. Are we just living in one temporary iteration of reality?
Speaker 3: That is something that will keep me awake tonight.
Speaker 2: It's crazy to think about a universe that is still actively deciding what it wants to be until next time. Keep looking up