Speaker 1: It's Cajun's baseball infielder Lie Ameday about to come back for a fifth season. We'll discuss it here on Raging Rundown. What's good, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another episode of Raging Rundown. All Cajuns all the time. I'm your guy, JaMarcus Fitzpatrick, but you know you can always call me fits. And in today's episode, we will be talking about the possibility of one of the more beloved players in the Louisiana baseball program potentially coming back, Lee Ameday announcing on social media, I'm back hashtag one thirteen. Now, this is something that has been speculated a lot because of the court rulings that have happened, and we're going to break all of this down to the best of my ability that I have, and we're going to talk all about it so candidly. In my day job at KGC, right, I saw that, you know, high school football was going on with scrimmages, and so I was prepared to go out and cover games tonight, which I still did end up going to some games. But I get on social and I see that Liamede has posted that he is coming back after all of these rulings that's happened in the courts, and so, as a as a journalist, I go and I started compiling the story. I put it together online at KGC dot com. You can go read more about that. And so I say, well, let's see if we can add to the story, because it's not just hey, let's just break the story in digital. What can we do for on air purposes? So I said, I wonder if I can reach out to Lee and see if would he'd be interested in doing a quick interview. And so I reached out to him and sure enough, he said, yeah, I'm in town. I said, can you meet me at the tigue. We meet up and next thing we know, we have about a five or ten minute conversation. I have about three sound bites that I'll play from that conversation that we had for you here on the show. The way all of this came to be about. And like I said, you can read more about this at KTC dot com in the article that I posted.
Speaker 2: Initially.
Speaker 1: I believe it was back in July, US District Judge Charlotte Sweeney in Denver ruled that all class of twenty twenty two high school athletes who used their fourth season of eligibility this spring would be able to play for its fifth season in twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Now, as you remember, the NCAA came.
Speaker 1: Out with the five and five eligibility model, which is NOMA redshirts, none of this stuff like that, you enroll in the school, you had five seasons, You have five seasons. Initially, what they were saying was this would start in the twenty six twenty seven athletic calendar. This judge comes in after players filed suit and said no, if these plays have only gone have only used four years or used all four years of their eligibility and is deciding to want to be able to utilize that fifth year that they should be entitled to, they would be able to do that.
Speaker 2: And that's what they're ruling.
Speaker 1: Kind of started in the ESPN article or the Associated Press article on ESPN dot com, it said that it has also has the potential to wreak havoc on rosters across the country, for instance, opening the possibility that an undrafted player in an NFL training camp could try to head back to college for a fifth year. And that's how we get to this point where we are now.
Speaker 2: So if you are just a.
Speaker 1: Louisiana sports fan, then you know that former edge rusher Jack Pieburn also filed a suit along with several other players, saying that they should be able to be eligible for that fifth season despite the fact that they are currently competing four roster spots on NFL teams. Jack Pieburn is on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and overall, this entire thing is wild and crazy and I'm going to get back to Liamede in all of this in just a second.
Speaker 2: But once that.
Speaker 1: Suit was filed, a judge out of Baton Rouge, how ironic Will Jordan not only granted the players a fifth season, but also allowed them to enter a newly created week long transfer portal to find a new home. That's why you've seen some players across the country enter the transfer portal as of today, Thursday, August the twentieth. Now, with all that in mind, the question is how does this pertain back to Liamede? So initially, in July, after the season was over, Liamede was not drafted in the MLB Draft. He was not signed to an undrafted free agent deal. However, he did sign with the New York Bolters in the Frontier League. He played through that, but after I had my conversation with him, he told me that they did release him and he did pay back the funds that he needed to and that goes into the temporary restraining order that Judge William Jordan placed out. He said in that that the only way this would work is so if the players decided to come back to college, they would have to terminate their contract that they had with professional teams and return the money that they had received. Liamede has done that, so that allows him to be eligible in this instance.
Speaker 2: And so with all that in mind, this is not finalized.
Speaker 1: I'll say that again, this is not finalized, but the ball is rolling, and with the way things have been going with the NCAA and how they haven't truly been enforcing some of the rules that they have, I feel like this is going to be something where Lee will get an opportunity to go and play one more time in the Vermilion and White. So currently he is eligible to practice so he can be with the team, he can work out with the team, which he said he's already been doing that. He's going to come back and be available to work out on Monday when classes start officially on Monday, but he cannot play in the fall ball games, not until all of this is resolved because the NCAA is still trying to appeal the initial ruling from the judge in Denver. So when I talked with Lee, you know, sat down Will stood up there outside of Russo Park with him for some time, and you know, the first initial question that I asked him was, you know, you dropped a bomb on us out of nowhere with this one. But just how good did it feel to know that you have the potential to come back in the Vermilion in white for one more season?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm really excited. I mean another place I'd rather be. I mean, got a chance to come back to this place, Like this place means everything to me. So it's like like why not, Like why not play another year here in front of these people, this team, Like just I mean, I'm honored play another year.
Speaker 2: An hundred to play another year.
Speaker 1: That's something that you absolutely love to hear from any player that you have in your program. But like I said, Lee is a phenomenal player, and we're going to get to how important he's going to be and what it can mean for you well with having him back in just a moment. The second thing that I talked to him about was just kind of the timeliness of everything that has happened. I mean, he goes to the Frontier League and he has the opportunity to work his way through there and play professional baseball and see what could come from that. But then out of nowhere, things that are not having anything to do with him ultimately results in him having the opportunity to come back and be in Cajun Country for one more season. So I asked him, like, how ironic is a lot of this that's happening for him to be able to be a part of something that he's been a part of for four years in a situation that truly has nothing to do with him initially, but now it has everything to do about him.
Speaker 2: And here's his answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, all the stuff is looking pretty good, like a lot of people are winning cases and whatnot, So I mean it's looking good for another year, but there's I mean, it's still there's really no guarantee, because there's still a small chance that they could like just say that we're not good. But I mean, as of now, like I'm I'll be here Monday, like I'll be practicing and stuff like normal and yeah, like as far as you said, like draft stock whatever and championships, like I'm coming Like there's no other like playing other than Omaha, like coming back to try to do something special, like so my childhood dream like go to omahall play in Omaha. Got another chance to do it. So it's like, I mean, I'm na take it.
Speaker 2: You know, why would you not?
Speaker 1: I mean, if they are going to allow the rules to be bent, why would you not. Am I overall okay with this as a whole for college athletics, No, not really, to be honest with you, because at some point, to Michael Desermo's point that he had earlier in the week, if you go to put rules into place, you have to enforce them. Now when it goes into the favor of the Cajuns and it makes an interesting storyline, I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. I'm happy that Lee gets an opportunity to play again. I'm even more excited because of the momentum that the Cajuns have built over this off season with the funds that they've been raising, with the amount of players they've added in through the transfer portal and all of those things like that that truly makes Team one thirteen, the twenty twenty seven Raging Cagen's baseball program that's coming up next season. It makes it exciting to see what that's going to turn out to be. So with Liamede being back on the roster, what does this look like for the Cajuns. I'm gonna step aside for just a second, but when we come back, we're going to talk about what Leamede potentially being back at Louisiana could mean for this roster. We'll discuss it when we return here on Rage and Rundown. Hey guys, thank you so much for tuning in to another episode of Raging Rundown. We're gonna get back into the action in just a second, but before we do, if you're tuning into this episode on YouTube, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Please do me a favor.
Speaker 1: Please like this video, share it, and leave a comment down below, But most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review, because that's going to help us get in front of more Raging Cajun fans just like yourself. So Leamedae is exercising his opportunity to get his fifth year of eligibility back because of everything that's going on in the court rulings. But what does having a player back like Leamede do for the Raging Cages? Last season, least started in sixty five of the sixty six games that you played. He played in all of them, but he started in sixty five of them. He had a three hundred batting average, forty seven runs, twelve doubles, four triples, seven home runs, and a team high fifty four RBI and he was also named to the Sunbeat Conference All Tournament Team. Overall, he's a phenomenal hitter. He is a great leader for what you have already and from a defensive standpoint, it solidifies your infield without question, like you know exactly what you have coming back because you think about it. Last season shortstop, you had Blaize Rodriguez. He's back at third. You had Drew Marko, he's back at first. You had Liamede. He's back. Now all you have to focus on is replacing your second second baseman. Who was you know, God my name is his name is slipping My mind just that quickly naming off these other names. I'm gonna go back to it so I can make sure that I get that correct. And I don't want to slight anyone. It's just a bunch of names. Ricoberto Hernandez shout out to him, right. Words are hard. Anyway, you have your your infield solidified, your your catcher, the one behind the d is solidified in Colt Brown. But you do have some pieces that you have brought in that could make things interesting and could give you options. For example, Manny Salez the Texas State transfer great bad.
Speaker 2: You gotta figure out the way to get him in the lineup.
Speaker 1: It may be a DH or maybe you cross train and try to slide Lee over to third and put Drew ad second, or you put Lee at second and put Manny at first. Like that's things that you're gonna have to think about. But overall, you're gaining backup player that has a ton of experience. You're getting back a guy that knows what your program is all about. He understands the culture, and he's been successful in the time that he's been here. So now what your roster is shaping out to be your returners in the bullpen. You have Ty Rowman, Garrett Carter, Parker Smith, Hayden Pierson, saw your crew it Chase Morgan, Gerald, Ti Lett land In Victoria, Bryce Wilson, returners infielders Drew markle Blaze, Rodriguez, Josh lim Liama Day outfielders Donovan Lasal, Mark Collins, Noah Lewis, Steven Spalita potentially could be moving to the outfield, but could also be a catcher for you. We will see once we get to fall ball. Your other catcher that's returning is Colt Brown. We know about all the transfers, but I will read them off to you once again. Trent Lape a pitcher. Pictures Trent Lape, Dagan Kubat, Matdix Sullivan, Charlie Cribbs, Blaine all Bright, Griffin Miller, Kendall, Dove Jackson Evers, Joey Irving. Other infielders that are transfers, Eric Fernandez, Jeremy Kuiper, Micah Kendrick, Many, Salaz, Tanner, Hornbeck. Your outfielders, Cal Pazzano is a transfer. Your other catcher that's a transfer, Jose Carmona. Your two freshmen. Evan Vincent is a pitcher. Miles Ledoux is an infielder, so that's what your roster is shaping up to be. One point that Lee made finally was you know how his discussion was with coach Day, which this news is coming out on his birthday, So happy birthday, coach.
Speaker 2: This is a great present for you.
Speaker 1: But there have been conversations head up until this point, so this was not just a random moment. This was something that they had known about for some time. So I asked him about kind of the timeline and how it all panned out, and like how excited Coach Diggs was and if some of his teammates knew about it lead enough to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I called him last week or two weeks ago maybe and told him I wanted to come back, and he was like, he was like, buddy, like, I'll take you back in New York minute, Like, so, I mean it was all good. Yeah, And luckily they had an open roster spot so nobody had to eat cut or anything like that, which would which made me feel great, like I didn't have to force anybody to get out of here or something like that. So it worked out really good.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it worked out, and like I said, overall, for the sport. This is a tough issue, but this is the Cajun's podcast, so they had a spot available. No harm, no foul, and when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If they're gonna allow the rules to be bent, and you have an opportunity to better your roster, to give you a better chance to go on a run to the College World Series, host a regional, host of super Regional, all of those great things that you want to do, have at it. So Leamade will potentially be back. Like I said, nothing is finalized. He will practice. He will be back on campus on Monday. I did not ask him about classes or anything like that because it was kind of an in and out moment because I was also getting ready to break the news on our five o'clock show, So the interview was fairly quick. But I'll reach out to him and kind of see what the plan is because he's already graduated, graduated, he has a degree from the University of Louisiana Lafayette. Now it's about making sure that he is going to be eligible so he can be available to play, and then getting him float into with the rest of the team that you have and continuing to figure out what Team Worth one thirteen is going to look like. So it's going to be exciting times and Cajun Country, especially when fall ball rolls around in October. So that's gonna wrap up this episode of Raging Rundown. If you've made it to this point in the episode, guys, thank you so much. I greatly appreciate each and every one of you, from subscribers to listeners. I thank each and every one of you. Let's keep this thing rolling. Let's get to five hundred subs on YouTube before the football season officially starts. So if you're on YouTube and you're watching this video and you're not subscribed, please like the video, share it, leave a comment down below tell me what you think. But most important to make sure you subscribe. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review because that's gonna help us get in front of more Raging Cajun fans. Just like yourself. I'm your guy, jam Marcus Fitzpatrick. We'll see you guys next time.