Speaker 1: So overnight there was a terrifying explosion in Jeffersonville and it completely leveled a home. Five people were sent to the hospital and just an awful, awful scene. It looks as if the uh the five people there were two that were airlifted to the hospital and three were taken by ambulance. So a neighbor who talked to w o KY, who was on scene, said they heard a blast, rushed to the scene and helped pull out two individuals that had severe burns. So fire crews, as you could expect, struggle to put out that kind of a blaze when you've got a huge explosion, and right now there's there's there's no there's no.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows why it happened just yet.
Speaker 1: Of course they're going to investigate and see what could have caused it, but Jeffersonville Police has said that there's no current threat to the public. However, uh, it is impacting the first day back to school traffic at Jeffersonville High School, So just be it by that it is the first day back at school for Greater Clark County schools, and of course Jeffersonville is one of those. So just be advised that you may have a different route or maybe just traffic on your current route, depending upon how it is you get to Jeff all right, it is Kentucky and his morning news here News Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company. I'm Nick Coffee, John Alden alongside today we've got two hours in the books. So if you've been with us, thank you, appreciated, hope you've enjoyed yourself. I don't know what we've accomplished for you, but if you're still with us, I guess that's I mean, that's the goal here. And if you are just now joining us, welcome in. It is, as mentioned, the first day back to school for Greater Cloud, Greater Clark County, and I believe there was another school system in southern Indiana that started yesterday, and before too long, it'll be back to school for everybody here on this side of the Ohio River. And I just I was going back in time thinking of the many first days of school that I experienced whenever I was a kid. And there's I mean, it's it's easily one of the most memorable days of your entire school year because you really just don't know what to expect, and it really depends upon your age, I suppose, But like, for example, my son is starting my son is starting kindergarten, so he doesn't have a clue what to expect as far as like his class. And my daughter she'll be entering fourth grade, which is crazy to say out loud, but she's not on social media keeping up with her friends or anything like that. So I guess it still does exist in a way that it did with me. That you really just there's so much unknown. And I remember, especially at a young age, the first impression of a teacher usually stuck.
Speaker 2: I had a pretty good.
Speaker 1: Idea right away what I was going to be in for as far as it being a teacher, And it really wasn't about were they a good teacher or a bad teacher? It was about are they cool or not? Like are they are they going to be strict or are they going to have Are they going to roll out that cart with the big box TV on it more often than the other teachers? So we can, you know, not do work? You know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: John? Is this Weday?
Speaker 1: Is this somebody that might be wheeling one of those TVs into the classroom When we get to March if you know what I'm saying. I mean, those are things I tried to pick up on signs of that because that was you know, that was it wasn't. It wasn't just because it would get us out of doing some schoolwork. But it also you know, I would like to watch March Madness. Even as a kid, I did, which we have to be the state and I know March Madness. The tournament is a is a It's really rare because college basketball has not really moved the needle on a national level quite like other sports like college football and certainly the NFL. But the tournament is a big, big deal, big draw, so everybody watches it. But I would say in Kentucky we have probably more leniency within schools to just like make it a thing or we're gonna have the TV on today. We might have the sound on, but we're gonna have the TV on. But anyway, some other things that I just remember about the first day when I was younger, new kids, rather it be somebody that you know, you you just don't, you know, recognize it all. And and they moved there because their family moved or maybe they just transferred schools.
Speaker 2: And I remember with with.
Speaker 1: If I had some friends in my class from the previous year, just somebody that I knew, we would just be what do.
Speaker 2: You think they're from? You think they moved here? I mean, we were just so curious about there.
Speaker 1: And it's weird because I didn't know a whole lot about the kids that I went to school with, right and unless there are my friends. But when you just you know somebody that's new, you know, you wonder where they're from. And I remember there was a kid who moved to the area and he ended up finishing school with us, but he moved from California, and I was either in third grade or fourth grade, and man, we thought that was the coolest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: And you know, you've been to California. Oh what's that like?
Speaker 1: I mean, we're talking about young kids in Bullock County, Kentucky. I also remember there was always a girl, and I'm sure girls would say this about boys. There was always a girl that had a glow up, if you know what I'm saying. That that you know, became much more you know, popular with the Fellaws because you know, she she you know, I don't want to say she became she went from ugly duckling to you know, homecoming queen type of thing. But like I remember, you know when you're that age, especially young, young, I mean really any age, when you're a child. You know, summer break. I can't believe summer's over, Like it's crazy how quickly went by, But you don't realize it.
Speaker 2: Like people grow, kids grow like crazy.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure there's kids going back to school today that will probably be recognizable to their friends and their teachers, but you know, maybe they've grown a few inches. So yeah, school is back, and I hope everybody has a good first day in Greater Clark County. However, again, if you are going to Jeffersonville High School, just keep in mind the explosion that took place last night has led to some some delays in traffic and maybe even put you on a different route, So just be prepared.
Speaker 2: Also be prepared for.
Speaker 1: Your next update, which is coming up right here, right now, when it comes to traffic here in Kentucky and a Bobby Ellis has us covered. We'll get an update on the news. I'm sorry, not on the news, that's later, but we'll get an update on the weather with Matt melosovitche wok. Why right here on news Radio eight forty whas. This is Kentucky Anda's morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company. I'm Nick Coffee and I've got some company all of you listening, and hopefully there are many of you.
Speaker 2: You know, you never really know, are we on? I think we are a kid But anyways, we've.
Speaker 1: Got a full crew here today, myself along with John Alden, John Shannon with the news, and then Scott will be back with another update on sports and about seven minutes or so. But what I wanted to get to earlier and then had to eject is I didn't have enough time to really have all the info I needed to share, because this is important stuff. We're talking about restaurant red flags, folks. Okay, things that you should notice as a red flag when you enter a restaurant. And some of these make total sense. And I don't know what this says about me, but I I frequent restaurants that have some red flags. Oh and I've been able to you know. I mean the reason I go there often is because I like it and enjoy the food and enjoy the experience and atmosphere. Therefore, the red flag hasn't been you know, even if it's there, it hasn't kept me away. So again I'm not sure what that says about me. But these are things that are subtle and obvious that that you know, subtle things that are subtle and obvious different difference there of course, that that are noticeable that might mean something more than most realized. And this one is, this one is is Actually it does gross me out a little bit, but it hasn't if I end up enjoying my experience and enjoying my meal. It's not something that sticks with me to where I don't come back. But sticky menus like menus that aren't that you know, haven't been wiped down. And that's I think that's real noticeable too, just by the appearance of it, and then also just like feeling it kind of slimy. It's because they put like that that the you know, the what do you call it, the plastic over top of it, that that you know, keeps it from from the paper from getting wet or ripping or anything like that. And you know, it's pretty easy to see when there's some visible like you know, gunk from somebody who ate there and left it. I mean, if menus are taken away after somebody orders, I find it to be pretty rare that there would be food on it. Now, I guess you could get the appetizers still have your your menu, but yeah, that's just kind of an ick thing to me. But and I'm sure there are places that I've gone to that I'm like, yeah, never coming back here, and after getting the dirty menus, I then realize, yeah, this place sucks.
Speaker 2: I'm not coming back.
Speaker 1: This is one that I think is a little bit unfair, but there could also be a clear reason for it. But empty during peak hours, I think there are people, like there are restaurants that really have good enough food, comparable food to a lot of competitors that are in the same space. But if you aren't hitting on the other things that matter atmosphere, environment, you know, drink selection and of course service, that can clearly put you behind your competitors, and that's why you could be empty during peak hours. But I know places that I enjoy and maybe it's just me that I oftentimes don't see very crowded and I you know, but also there's places that I'm like, they're still open. You know, I'm not surprised that they're empty. This one I never would have thought about. But it is very noticeable when there's visible management. Meaning if there's no visible management, that's a red flag. And I never paid attention to that. But usually you can tell who's manager, not just by maybe them wearing a little bit something different than their other workers at that restaurant, but also because they'll they you know, they just they're asking, hey, how's everything going, and you know they're not your server, and you can tell there's a leader. And I think that's just that's a good culture where you've got a good leader on the floor at a restaurant that is the to help if customers need it, but also to be a resource for the servers and bartenders and whatnot. And then this is one that I rarely see, but I can certainly see it being a red flag arguing staff. And it goes on to say here in this write up that like if the and this is again this is something that I've experienced but never thought much of it, Like if the waitress is blaming something on the kitchen, even if it is their fault, I don't know if I'd call that a red flag, but like you know, it didn't really matter whose fault it is, just you know, get it right. So anyhow, do with that what you will when it comes to your next dining experience. All right, let's get to a quick update on traffic and weather. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up on how the roadways are looking here in Kentucky, and Matt Melosavitch has the latest on the forecast right.
Speaker 2: Here on Who's Radio waight forty whas.
Speaker 1: This is can He's own Tyler Childers, who of course has become a huge, huge sensation in not just country music but just I mean, he's one of those guys that you know, you could probably throw him in a couple of different genres. He's got his own style and sound, and he has become a big hit all over the world. And I'm a huge fan. And I'll i think when it comes to I'm not really a big music guy. I mean, I enjoy music like anybody else, but I'm not somebody that seeks out concerts and whatnot as much as others. But I really got into Tyler Childers as he was sort of elevating, but not anything like he is now. But I got to see him make his debut at the Grand Ole Opry, which was really cool, and he only played a few songs. But what was really cool about that is that he was nervous and he didn't he didn't have like a goof but he he absolutely just you know, was that moment was hitting him and he kind of struggled briefly just for a moment really during one of the songs, and the big crowd that was there was from me to Kentucky there to support him, and you know, they got a little rowdy, I guess, noticing it and in a supportive way, and then he got comfortable and went on to uh to do a great job. And of course now he's he's a he's a star. Another star is Luke Combs and he was on a podcast with Barstool Sports and he was asked about which state produces the best country music artists, which I would have expected him to say his home state of North Carolina because they have certainly produced some big time names, but he he says that it's the bluegrass state that puts out the best in country music.
Speaker 2: What state puts out the best country music? By the way, you're gonna stay Carolina, like biasedly would say Carolina, but truthfully, it's Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky, Kucky. Well it's I mean, you got Childer Stapleton, Keith Whitley. I mean, there's just I'm gonna go the talent in Kentucky is unmatched.
Speaker 1: Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Yes, country still, yeah, dude, it's Kentucky stacked, Kentucky stacked. State in opin Texas has got to be stacked, right, I think so.
Speaker 1: So I mean that that that's cool to hear because I think we all know that we've been pretty fortunate to produce some big time artists that are Kentucky born and bred. And you know, there's there's there's probably a lot of people out there, certainly those in the state, maybe more than Louisville, that when they listen to a lot of their work, you know, you feel you see Kentucky and I'm I don't think I'm in the minority. But coming from the sports world where it's such a such a heated rivalry Red v. Blue, and of course in this city there's so many on both sides, but there's a lot of people who, you know, Louisville, we want to be our own state, and I think they say that tongue in cheek, but I love this state. I don't love UK sports and I root against them actually because I'm a Louisville fan. That's just how the rivalry works. But I love being a Kentucky and it is it's cool to not only see those guys have success, but to know that they've become as popular as they are and people know, hey, that guy's from Kentucky. Any Like, right now, this trio as far as just sustained, and I know, like Sturgill Simpson didn't. I don't think he had a great reception for his most recent album, but like he's a big time star. I had no clue that he was in Righteous Gemstones until I watched the latest season.
Speaker 2: But I love Sturgel.
Speaker 1: And obviously you've got Chris Stapleton, one of the best voices that you'll ever hear in music in any way.
Speaker 2: And Tyler Chilters, who we just played.
Speaker 1: But going down the line, Keith Whitley, Dwight Yoakum, Ricky Skaggs, the Juds, Loretta Lynn, I mean, it's I mean, and there's other names that, like I they have more of I think a niche following to where they're they're not going to sell out arenas, but there's a duo called Sunday Best that the people who are into him are really into him to where if they have a smaller venue really anywhere I think in the region, maybe even in the country, especially when they were at their peak, they'd be they'd have a full house because they just you know, they're not mainstream necessarily. So again, we've been really, really really spoiled with some great musicians from from this state. And to hear a guy who is I would say right now, not that you and I are are auditioning here for w AMZ John, but like Luke Colmmes has got to be currently in the top five maybe top four of that's just like when he's when he's putting out music, people are anxious and ready for it.
Speaker 2: Mostly they approve. And he's doing weekends where.
Speaker 1: He's he's got three stadium arena dates in one weekend and they're all sold out.
Speaker 2: He's just a step below where Morgan Wallen is right now.
Speaker 1: I feel like yep, and I think the only thing that separates him is looks. I mean, and look he and I mean, I don't say it to be mean, but like he on that podcast that I listened to that that clip came from, he talked about how you know, everybody who was coming up in country music that got a break that kind of got put into the mainstream world. Like, let's be honest, nine out of ten of them were dudes that most people would say are gorgeous men that are like, you know, heart throbs. And he acknowledges that he's not necessarily that, but man, he's talented and I'm a huge fan of his.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to a quick time out. We'll keep it rolling along.
Speaker 1: Here. It is Kentucky in his morning news your next update of trafficing weathers right here right now on news radio waight forty whas not good timing here for me because we have very little time as it is. And when I hear Luke Combs, I don't want to turn the microphone on and start talking. I want to listen to him saying he's phenomenal. So yeah, good stuff there. All right, So, as the summer is coming to an end, I mean summer break, I suppose we still have many many weeks of summer season here as far as just the weather and whatnot. But if anything, I'm getting a late start to seltzer season. And I leaned into this years ago because I got accused of in the stories. It's really stupid now that I think back at it. But I was at Hometown Rising, the country music festival that was part of the other music festivals that we have here in Louisville. It was the Bourbon and Beyond and Louder than Life, and they did one year, they did a country music one and they've not done it since. And I was there and I was drinking a Seltzer, and you know, I knew that there was a stigma that you know, sissy, and you know, I don't I don't know why anybody would care what I drink, and I don't know why what I drink has anything to do with how people view me as far as a masculine man, which again, don't really care, but you know, I know that that's a like that people think that, and I clearly don't care because I haven't drank much seltzers this summer, now that I realize it. But I like them, enjoy them, and don't care if people think it makes.
Speaker 2: Me a girly man.
Speaker 1: But somebody took a picture of me there and send it into the text line of my sports show at the time, like threatening to expose me for drinking a Seltzer, and I just leaned into it, like, you know, embraced it, and I kind of became the guy that you know is not only not afraid to embrace the seltzers that are out there, but like I, you know, I want more people to try them.
Speaker 2: They're good.
Speaker 1: Well, one of them is that is that is very delicious, and probably one of my favorites is high Noon and they have had a mix up with the label that has resulted in a recall. So high Nuon Vodka Seltzer, they're recalling their high Noon Beach Variety twelve pack due to a label mix up.
Speaker 2: That is a big mix up.
Speaker 1: So this recall comes as packs may contain cans that are filled with high Noon Vodka Seltzer alcohol, but they're mislabeled as Celsius Astro Vibe Energy Drink Sparkling Blue Ras dedition. So a packaging supplier mistakenly sent the Celsius cans to high Noon, And I mean, I'm just I'm just thinking of a scenario where you're you're pounding the Celsius energy drink, getting ready to go tackle your day, maybe get a workout in whatever it is, we all need that pick me up. Maybe it's coffee, maybe it's an energy drink, or maybe it's one of these Celsius energy drinks. You might have been hammered and not known it. I mean, that's that's a clear mix up. But anyways, be prepared to be advised. I suppose if you if you have one of those Beach Variety packs.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, if you have I guess I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: If you have one of those Celsius Astrovibe energy drinks, that sparkling blue ras, it may actually be a vodka seltzer, So just be be aware. All right, we got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here. Also, Scott will being with another sports update on news radio eight forty w h as