Speaker 1: Everyone, Welcome to a brand new episode of Startups Still Say, hope you're all doing well. Today's episode I'm actually super excited about because of the first episode be doing it in person with our guests. And today's guest happens to be Lucas Josephi from widget Book. He happens to be someone whom I know for the last two years, someone whom I've admired for doing his startup at a very young age, took on a big risk and jumped in into the world of startups. So we'll be talking to Lucas today about his journey, what widget Book does, and some of the inputs that he can share with the world of startups. So Lucas, first of all, welcome to Startups Still Say.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I love for having me Anthony.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure, So Lucas, so let's get things kicked off. I mean, I know you for a couple of years now. For those of you who don't know about the Flutter community, Flutter is a technology or an open source framework from Google which I used to be part of. I'm still I am, and I ran into Lucas while we were collaborating on with both of our companies, and I happen to be here at a conference called flutter Con in Berlin. Lucas was kind enough to be part of this particular podcast and tell us about his journey. So, Lucas, I know you as the CEO of widget Book. I know you as this smart, exuberant CEO of a company, a guy who loves outdoors from all your adventures in California and here as well. And I know you'll like to party a bit as well. But other than that, I don't know anything else about you. So tell us a little bit about yourself and maybe tell us about what led you to start visit book as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy, happy to share it. Thanks for the kind words.
Speaker 3: So, as you already said, I'm Lucas, co founder and CEO of ridget Book.
Speaker 2: I'm an entrepreneur and.
Speaker 3: I'm really curious and in general about a lot of things. I think that's curiosity and then led me into the part of on the part of entrepreneurship. Other than that I already mentioned, I really love to spend time outdoors away from the laptop as well. Helps me to relax and get a clear head. But to answer your question, how I am got in the world of startups. How I got through what I'm doing today is I was inspired and mainly by my by my uncle and so my ankle's not an entrepreneur, but he also took a big risk because he moved with his family away from Germany. So I'm originally from from Germany. My my uncle as well, and he moved to Canada and with his family. I think he was like his late twenties or early thirties, twenty or something years ago. And then just when I finished high school, I visited him in Canada and it was an amazing experience being abroad really for the first time. I spent a few weeks there, I had another internship and the first time away from home, away from the family, and so I could really see, okay, what kind of other life you could also live. And then when I started studying, and it was just very very quickly, Okay, entrepreneurship is the path I am I really.
Speaker 2: Like to go for. And so I actually have a business background.
Speaker 3: So I studied international business, so business with like German, English and French, so I had some languages with it as well, and I didn't particularly like my studies too much. It was it was good that you kind of learned how to sell yourself and how to talk, but I also wanted to at some point then have some real skills, and that's why on the side.
Speaker 2: I also learned how to code.
Speaker 3: I have to say, I'm not the best developer, so I can't get things to work. But I'm very happy that today have a team that does it a lot better.
Speaker 2: Than when I can.
Speaker 3: But very early in my studies, I founded the corporate startup, which basically was a company that came to the university and they had a challenge prepared for the students. So what they did is I think they brought like twenty people with twenty employees from that corporate, twenty students together in one room and you had teams of fours always two students and two people from the corporate and two days of solving the challenge. And my team did quite well, and I then gave a representation of what we did. The corporate liked it a lot, and we're like, hey, Lucas, would you like to help us on the project. I was like, sure, let's do it didn't have much to lose, and I was like eighteen nineteen years old. It actually became quite successful in that in the corporate, and I was very excited because we were supposed to get shares as well and first handed sales. At some point we had a webpap as well, and I was like curious. I was like, sure, I learned hard the code A bit can also build that WebP I suppose, and turned out to work really well. I hold that corporate, but unfortunately that corporate went into financial struggles which led to the CEO being the CEO being fired. New CEO came basically erased the entire board, and then it was decided that all innovation projects that don't exist for more than two years are going to be spinned into the company. Again, not a spin off that I and also the team was looking for, soa no shares. Instead, they offered me quite a good compensation for that for that young age, but I declined because I was like, no, I really want to do my own stuff at that age.
Speaker 2: And I then started to build web apps because I enjoyed doing it. And when I was at the startup, and then.
Speaker 3: I stumbled upon something that I like JavaScript developers, it must be familiar with it. Suppose the storybook tas one of the most popular packages in the JavaScript.
Speaker 2: Or React each system.
Speaker 3: And at some point I then met today my C my CTO and co found agains at basically the University incubator and immediately clicked with quite a good connection, and Yes told me about fluttery and YenS was super passionate about flattery, basically predicted its going to be the Future's gonna be huge, and I checked it out and I was like, Yin's yeah, copy right, sounds sounds really interesting.
Speaker 2: And then we started building Flutter apps.
Speaker 3: And as I told you, I'm not the best developer, so I always try to stick to the things I know.
Speaker 2: And there was no storybook for Flutter, so we first of all the build it just for ourselves.
Speaker 3: And then at some point some of our web development friends switched to Flutter as well, and they were like, hey, lucas we build a storybook for flatter.
Speaker 2: Can we share with us. We're like, sure, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's oversource it, and we immediately build a Discord server as well to support the few users that.
Speaker 2: We thought we're gonna we're gonna get.
Speaker 3: Pretty much overnight, people kept swarming in the server and we were like, oh, okay, it's something that not only we.
Speaker 2: Need, but that also other people are looking forward to to have.
Speaker 3: And then we started interviewing our discord server and asked them, Hey, how would.
Speaker 2: You like us to improve the product for you? And I immediately also had the idea of.
Speaker 3: Building something more than just this source package around it because storybook for everyone that is not familiar with it, it allows you to catalog all of your widgets from your website and my overview, it allows you basically to build your design system in code, and it's a great developer tool, but it's also only developer tool, so it doesn't allow any collaboration with designers product managers. Qtas is basically only for developers, and I was looking for something more holistically, and we interviewed the discord.
Speaker 2: Server for it and they were like, yeah, amazing, do it.
Speaker 3: And then around two years ago we decided to quit our job do it full time and.
Speaker 1: Here we are today, awesome Lucas, so glad I could understand the entire story behind widget book. I knew you were adventurous, Like I said, I mean amazing story. And I was also going to ask you about, I mean, how you found your co founder. You already answered that question. So it's for two years since you started, now, twenty twenty two since you started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean the open source package is something that we started around twenty twenty one already, but it wasn't full time then, so back then we were still doing other things on the side, and we then incorporated the company in twenty two.
Speaker 1: Great. So obviously you had a plan when you started widget book, when you quitated jobs and jumped into this. Has everything gone, asked per plan? Or how many times have you had to start and stop and start art again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean everyone is saying startup, it's like a roller coaster, and I have to say, yeah, quite quite accurate. So a lot of times. But the question is always, let's say, how often you really have to throw anything away and start fully fun scratch And fortunately, to that extent we we didn't have to do it. But of course we had a lot of stuff that we tried that didn't work, but fortunately we had more stuff that that worked in the end.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm I'm still sitting here and it can talk to you about which book but two.
Speaker 3: In the end give you give you just uh some examples for for us, for example, we we thought that building the first paid version of widget books, so in the end you also in the end you need to have money to have food in your fridge and to pay our rent, and building just an over source package doesn't do the trick. And that's why for us it was quite clear, okay, we have to come up with a paid version of widget book. And what is quite obvious to do for us is I mean, I already told you you can build your own design system with widget book, and you can just host the widget book made accessible for everyone, so that also designers, create testers, product managers, everyone can look at it.
Speaker 2: And just hosting is something you can also easily do yourself.
Speaker 3: And that's why we thought initially, okay, it might take us quite long until we get the first revenue because you can just host it yourself. But we very quickly found out, okay, there are a lot of companies that are just interested in hosting, they just don't want to do it themselves. And that's why we were able to capture some revenue a lot sooner than we expected, and we were like, okay, great that to raise venture capital and scaly immediately, and we did manage to raise venture capital then quite quite soon basically to get to a state where our customers were really happy with the cloud. That then took a lot longer than we expected because Justice hosting it's nice, but the current product so basically now nearly two years in the future. Now the product is great. Now our customers are really happy with it, but it really took us some time to build the features that our customers were actually looking for. And that's why it's always kind of hard to predict. And so whenever you're building something that didn't exist before, it's quite difficult to predict how long will it take you to build it versus if you're just building just now in parenthesis here, if you're just building something that already just before, if you're building just another app, and then you might have the challenge of finding.
Speaker 2: A better business model.
Speaker 3: But for us, it was basically okay, the business model is quite straightforward and also quite straightforward and finding customers for it. It's really difficult to build it, and it took longer.
Speaker 2: Than expected for the Cloud awesome.
Speaker 1: So you've talked a little bit about you know, mentor funding so to speaks. I mean, what stage of the company are you in two years in I mean, did you have to bootstrap and start the company and you found funding along the way. I mean, you know, for those people who are listening to this, I mean, what sort of help do you need at all with any funding? Funding at all? Reading a stand right now.
Speaker 2: So what we did, and.
Speaker 3: That is something that is specific for the country that we started in, but I'm quite sure also exists in other countries.
Speaker 2: In Germany, we can get government brands if.
Speaker 3: You're if you're starting out as as a young entrepreneur, well for us, for example, in German it's called Germany, it's called the Exist Founders Grant, And basically you're writing a business plan for the idea that you're having, and then you're submitting it. It gets approved or rejected, and then you have enough money to fill your fridge and pay your rent.
Speaker 2: But it's of course not.
Speaker 3: Much money, so it doesn't get you any further than this. But the great thing is if you're young, you don't have much responsibilities. For me, for example, I didn't have children, I didn't have a wife, I didn't have a mortgage to pay, so it was it was good enough for me. And then we basically had one year time so we are three founders, and that grant allowed us to pay ourselves a small salary and also to buy a MacBooks with with with good performance to actually build a product in a in a good enough way.
Speaker 2: And that's how we started out. But as I said, might be different for other countries.
Speaker 1: Awesome, man. I'm also assuming you don't put too much in your fridge either, so you have a lot less to buy in your flesh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's true, even though i'm as as you know, I'm two meters tall or in a six feet six so I actually have to eat a lot.
Speaker 1: Awesome, So I know for a fact, Lucas, I mean in the last two years, I mean, you know, you've grown in confidence. Like you said, you know, you had some stops and starts, and yesterday in floodat On your presentation was a testament to your growth. You had three live customers on the stage with you to talk about how they're using bridget Book, the impact you had on you know, their app development journey. Can you tell us a little bit more about the growth you growth path here on and what you're expecting to do before I say the end of this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy, happy to share it.
Speaker 3: So I mean, first of all, you talked about the presentation yesterday, and anyone here that is building their own tool, I can highly recommend when you're giving a presentation at some conference, bring customer literary stage. It gives not only you and your team a great confidence boost and quite a proud moment, but it also shows other potential customers in the audience that what you're building is quite legit. Because you, as a founder of course always biased and will always say, yeah, my product is great. I mean, no founder will ever go to stations with like, yeah, my product is ship don't don't use it. But when customers are saying it outside is they basically they're not paid to do so in the end they are paying you for for for the product that is.
Speaker 2: That is just more molegit. So quick tip here. But other than that, I already.
Speaker 3: Said that we have an open source package in the core and our source package really made it in the Flutter community. So our open source package is really popular. So we have a few thousand companies that are using the open source package to build their own design system, and these are from the range from startups to enterprises. Agencies do it as well. On every content the continent and Wichi book is is being used so not only in Europe, heavily in the US by big companies as well, also in Asia, even in Africa. Basically every everywhere in the world, whichibook is being used already in the over source packet and then on the cloud. We also have a lot of companies that already trust us there. And the amazing thing here is in the past, which a book was available in close beta, so you could sign up for the access to wigi balalk Cloud, but you had to answer eight questions and depending on how you answer those questions, you either were allowed to already get access to wigipook or not. And what Anthony mentioned, so yesterday on stage I also could proudly announce that Wigi book Cloud is now publicly generally available, so anyone can now just go to the website, sign up for the access to cloud and then sell on board and get the excess. I mean, of course we're also happy to help with democrats if you like, but no longer need it, and that's why we're we will definitely see a lot of growth now because a lot of companies that were not.
Speaker 2: Able to try which Cloud in the past no fund we.
Speaker 1: Can That is incredible. Yeah, I mean I could not agree with you more about the fact that I mean, you know you have a live customer testament on the stage. I mean nothing can beat that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You can put all you want within double quotes on the website, but having them in front of your prospects in the audience and saying here are my happy customers. Uh, that is that is really nicely done. So great story locas. I mean, obviously as a CEO, you continue to think about not just today, You've got to think about what's tomorrow, what's the next six months, what's the next two years, three years? So with that in mind, I mean, what keeps you up at night? I know you do a lot of outdoors to relax, or what what keeps you up at night to keep visiting book going?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? What what doesn't keep you up at night?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So, in the end, as a as a CEO, you like not everything is It's just nice because if you're it's a regular employee, at some point at your day you go home and then you can kind of turn off your head, do something, do something else, and then just come back.
Speaker 2: To work and your your boss might tell you, Okay, these are the priorities. You can work on them.
Speaker 3: Fine, But if something doesn't work at Widget Book, ultimately it's it's my responsibility. So I can never escalate something to someone else. So I mean, the great thing is that I have I have amazing co founders and that have their own areas of responsibility. So for example, something is broken in the product, again, this doesn't come to me and it's like Lucas, you need to fix it. So that's something that's good where I have the ends on the on the on the technical side, or Julius with with finance and illegal but if there's issues with customers, with investors, those things that in the end could potentially kill the company, I would say unfortunately, but also fortunately my my responsibility. So I am in the end in UH, in charge and can can just not say if the if the house is burning, yeah I don't care.
Speaker 2: I just go home that that doesn't work. And then it's also a question of your or of your mindset. How much UH do you care about about the the product, the startup that you're building, how much are you caring about your team?
Speaker 3: And for me the past two years, I've basically done done nothing else than than than building widget Book.
Speaker 2: In the end, it's a huge time commitment that that I've been having. And the people that are.
Speaker 3: Working at the wigit Book also are really really close to me. So these other people I've seen more than anyone else in my in my life.
Speaker 2: And I really really really want to make this work. And fortunately we are. We're on a good path.
Speaker 3: But there have also been times where I've got a bit harder, and we also had to take difficult decisions that were just necessary for for the business. So we for example, also had to lay off employees where it didn't work.
Speaker 2: Culturely anymore.
Speaker 3: And Lisa, of course decisions that are necessary, but that are the decison that you don't want to take. You know, it's crucial for the business, but I would much rather have enjoyed, i don't know two to go for workout or to or to go outdoors than having to lay off an employee for example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So my next question was is going to build on something you said, which is culture? Right, as a super young entrepreneur and maybe with very little experience of building the company, where did you draw inspiration from? What sort of culture you wanted in the company? You know how to keep everybody's moral high. And like you said, I mean, if it's not a culture fit, I mean you got to identify that quickly and fix that they for it becomes a bigger problem. But I mean as a CEO, I mean, what sort of culture did you want to put together?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think here you you don't get an answer that that fits for for everyone. So I think you just have to be authentic as a person and in the end as a team. And so for for us, for example, I mentioned I have I have two more co founders, and I mentioned already is our CEO, and then we also get Julius, and Julius and I already know each other for what is it now, eight years, So we basically started studying together the first day and it immediately clicked. So we are very similar our personality wise. With the ends it also clicked very very easily. So we three get along really well. And for us it was pretty much easy to work together personality wise, and we were then just looking for people that are meeting the same energy, shared the same values, and it was something that was very important for us early on.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: A heck, and that might be an unpopular opinion, especially along a tech audience, but I really believe in having the team in office, especially in the early days, it just helps a lot. And for for us, for example, we after we reste our funding ground, which took the decision of moving with the company to another city, so we are we started in a smaller city in Germany, but then we moved with the company to build in and the main reason was it really allowed us to have the team on site because to to get the best talent in the flatter community, we decided to also hire from abroad and we brought together an amazing team and.
Speaker 2: Brilin was just more.
Speaker 3: Attractive there and then we had the chance to for having the team on board. And what also helped a lot is that we also hired people that we we knew before or that wemainly knew before.
Speaker 2: So by example, for.
Speaker 3: Example, we got Aura, who is a good developer expert for Flutter, has like twenty k follow us on Twitter, so really a popular in the community as well, and I knew her from a FATA conference, so I pretty much how Anthony and we are talking about the photo here right now. That's also I got to know Aura and if you know the people already from some experiences before, if you already had to beer with them, then you might know immediately okay that can work or or can't work. So that's why I would always suggest hiring people that you know from some experiences before, or at least had had recommendations from people that you know in trust, and then try to spend as much time as possible in person with these people, at least in the in the early days, and at some point if the company's case, of course go go even for remote but I think having at least sometime with them in the office definitely helps.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, Lucas. I mean, obviously you got to have your own personality and h you know, your your own stamp stamp on it that you are thinking. But at the same time, I mean you've you've also used kind of rule books so to speak, on taking some best practices and using some people have known well in the community and manly in one bone. So it's kind of a number of best practices so to speak.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the one thing that I that I'd also like to add is that especially if you're if you're a first time founder and you're raising munchie capital.
Speaker 2: I would really advise you to to not only go for for the for the vcs, for the funds, but also to the angel investors for your for your business that can that can just help you with their with their advice because these are experienced entrepreneurs, they really know how to do stuff and and then build a close relationship and with those investors. I mean when you select them for your business, you already believe they could add substantial value and you should of course challenge them before they invest because they will be your ound for some time.
Speaker 3: It's easy to it's difficult to get them out. That's why do your diligence there on the investors. But as long as you do it, they are there to help. After After the investors, you know you're they are even monetarily incentivized to help you, and that also helped is helping us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you bring up a great point, Lucas. I mean, you know we spoke about culture on your team. From my experience in the startup world, I mean, the culture is super important for your investor community as well. You know, if you have the wrong mindset with your investor community, that can totally derail your day. And your job as well, So that's a that's a super important point. And then so last question for you, Lucas, I mean you're I mean I already mentioned you're a young entrepreneur. You already have a given a bunch of not gets two people as advice. But if there's folks in college or anyone thinking of starting a company, anything else you'd like to add in terms of advice before they jump in to start a company, just do it.
Speaker 3: So I think there it also depends on their personality. So are there are people who are less or more likely to overthink? And in the past I definitely try to perfect things often and really try to always find the best solution for something that's definitely not the way to go. So unfortunately that changed and now I'm a lot more like you know, eighty twenty So always twenty percent effort can get eighty percent.
Speaker 2: Done. I mean, of course there are situations where it needs to be one hundred percent, but in the end, you just need to try.
Speaker 3: And in the end, if you fail with something, then try to fail rather quickly because then you can just stand up and try again. And the great thing is, if you're young, you already had that you don't have any responsibilities, So there's.
Speaker 2: Like there's no drawback in founding when you're young.
Speaker 3: So either it becomes successful and then you're already settled very early in your life, or you and now in parenthesis again you fail, but then you had a great experience. So, especially if you're optimizing for for learning at a young age, I think there's nothing else you can do to learn quicker, and especially if you're if you managed to raise fastal capital, you can learn from very experienced entrepreneurs then and also usually startup founders support each.
Speaker 2: Other a lot.
Speaker 3: So I'm super happy and great full that I have amazing other startup friends where we like very openly sharing everything. And of course in the end, you always have to keep in mind that it's a lot more likely to fail than to than to really succeed with it.
Speaker 2: So what then you just try again and uh And in the end, I believe, if you're young, just do it.
Speaker 1: That is so cool, Lucus. I mean, I I I have to say, I kind of guessed you were going to say just do it, just just knowing you, so I kind of preempted that that was coming. But what an awesome episode Lucas. Thanks so much for sharing all your insights today with the community here. It's startups, they'll say, I will always be sharing for widget book, and I'll be sure to give of everyone the details of widget books website how they can reach out to you. All of that, thanks so much for joining us, and for those of you listening, thanks so much for listening. Thank you
Speaker 2: M