Speaker 1: Unsolved mysteries. Out of deference to people who may still be living. Character names in some of these true unsolved mysteries have been changed. Tonight's unsolved mystery is based on records of the New York Police Department. It is called the perfect crime because it has never been solved, even by the most brilliant minds of the New York Police. It is a crime that experts, after complete investigation, state could not have happened. Yet they know that it did happen. Something something, something like that. I don't think, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Something at.
Speaker 1: The scene is isidor thinks Little hand laundry at fifty two East one hundred and thirty second Street, New York, The fitful light from the smoke grimed street lamp only serves isador. Fink shuffles out of the cigar store across the street from his laundry, draws his threadbare jacket tightly about him, as if to protect himself from the penetrating grizzle, then crosses the muddy street and unlocks the two heavy padlocks on his laundry door. The clerk seeses the door glance fearfully up and down the darkened street, before he closes the door and bolts it on the inside. The transom above the door feels with a diffused glow of light as isid Or turns the switch on the old carbon filament lamp hanging from the ceiling. Poor old devil. I'm gonna work half the night again. They earn two bits. No, I guess I was wrong. He put the light outney open, repet open the pet come out of wop? Didn't you hear the shots? I thought it was normal, not firing. I was standing down there the corner. Where was it open? Pink's laundry? All right, all right, we're coming. Who is she? Old woman who rents the back half of isaor Pink's store? You got a phone? Your cigar store? Has? I better go down and call up the state. Okay, mm this store is knocked on the inside. What happened? I don't know yet. Any other way into the store, yes, my room, but the door booted on kid night. I can't break this store down. It's too strong. Be sure. There's no other way in but through your room. You can't get to that way either. That door is as strong as different. Well. I can't get through that transom here one of your kids, Which one of you climb through that transfer? I will open there, all right? All right, you folks stand back there. Come on, kid, I live up. Yep, that's it. Now take my night stick. Break the glass. Hey, you watch out, don't cut yourself a three yeargo drop down on the other side and draw that bowl. Okay, officer, wonder where that light switches? Ah? Here we are good heavens yes, killed himself. Watch up here, come in, sergeant hol is the door bump himself off? Where's the gun? I've been able to find it yet? All right, boys, we'll take a look. Okay, sarge, sure, sarge. Look where no place to look except under that table. The room's bare. Oh hello, coroner, you can recharge you. What have we here? Pray in case of suicide? Is looking around for the gun? Suicide? Eh hmm, you think so? Cary here varn no powder, burns and shop in the head would have killed him. Gun was at least two feet away. Sorry, gentlemen. From the looks of the wounds, I'm forced to decide that it was murdered, and since there's no trace of a gun, the killer carried it off impossible. The place was bolted on the inside. Nobody could gooda got out of here. I had to get this kid here to break the transom, crawl through to open the door. Yeah, I haven't got the gun. What would I want with a gun? All right? All right? How about that window? That window starts. It's the only window in the place, and it's barred on the inside, with bars so close a cat couldn't get between them. Not only that, the frame is nailed in place. So's the transom frame nailed in place. The star leading to the other room hasn't been opened for years. Look at the cobwebs. This boat, he is rusted in place. Take a hammer to move it. Wait here a minute. We've got to be reasonable. Somebody got in here and killed old the door and then they got out. Now this is a single room, one window in one transom, two doors, both bolted on the inside, both window and transom nailed in place, and no fireplace, nothing to hide behind, no cover. Then the killer must to come in here into the room with him. No he didn't. Oh, how do you know who are you? I'm the clerk and a cigar store across the street, or the fellow the carts on the phone. Yes, the door came into my store tonight, bought a pack of cigarettes and said he was going in to do some more laundry. I saw him cross the street. Your eyes never left him, not for a second. Now, I watched him cross, So him open the door and go inside. And then I saw the light go on. A few moments afterwards, the light went out, and then the three shot shave. This sain't treasona we're telling me I got the dinners. Now. There must be a trapdoor or something, a trap door. Look at that rough clank floor and tell me it's got a trap door in it. Oh, I guess you're right at that. Well, there's nothing more we can do here. Sure nobody touched the body, of course, I'm sure what difference does that make? Margin the murderers what we want now, and he's not going to be easy to find. Any murder that can get out of this room. Yeah, through two bolted doors and two nailed windows. I tell you, sars, the things spooky. Well, come on, we'll get back to Headquart and get the fingerprint boys out here, all right, Come on. For twenty four hours, a corps of detectives went over every inch of the one room laundry for signs of revolver, trapped doors, of secret panels. The most expert fingerprint men in New York's police department worked on the case, and aside from the fingerprints of the police and Isidor himself, not a thing was fond. At first. The police worked with zest, then irritability, finally in complete bewilderment. The scene is police headquarters six months later. Well, boys, what can you tell me about this pink murder? Not a thing more than our fresh repart Chief. Now, listen, sergeant, We're not going to let that two percent pink murder get us down. Not carn't you, chief. It has me too. Chief, I was the fifty feet of that laundry when the shots were fired. I know nobody left that building. Well the murderer did. I'm beginning to wonder about that, Chief, What do you mean? Well, listen, Chief, the front door was bolted on the inside. Yes, yes, I know, and the back room door was bolted too, and the windows were nailed in place. No police to hide. But boys, the murderer got away, and that's what hurts got clean away. If I've been a long time, I'm the farce. And I'm not superstitious, but something happened in there that night that the books don't tell us how to shar Listen, chargeant. That murder was brutal, it was physical, get me physical, nothing else. We're not going to have the New York Police Department throw up a case and blame it on Spoops. Just about what. I'm ready to blame it on. Chief. The thing that gets me down, Chief is the total lack of marching, and that does make it hard. I've gone through the file on his private life till I know it like a book. A little bit of a loundersized fellow from Galicia, works for ten years in the laundry, doesn't make a friend, doesn't have an enemy, saves one thousand dollars and opens his own laundry, works like a dog eighteen hours a day, and makes a bear living. No women in his life, nothing to rob him of, not a reason in the world for killing him. Hello, yes, okay, right away, all right, boys, better forget it. There's more to worry about. Fat chef again killing down the tunnel. Let's go. Five years have passed and the New York Police know as little two days they did the night of the murder. If he leaves, the entire police department can be summed up in the cryptic expression of the chief that two for a cent think mystery gives me the creeps. In just a moment, you will hear a solution to the perfect crime. Ladies and gentlemen, inasmuch as any solution must have necessity be supposition, liberties of time, place, and character have been taken in the solution for which you have been waiting. The scene is number fifty two weeks, one hundred and thirty second Street. Isador thinks little hand laundry the knight of the murder. Isador says good night to the clerk in the cigar store across the street from his laundry, and crossing the dimly lighted street, unlocks the two heavy pad locks on his laundry door. His a door slips inside, closes, and the bolts the door behind me. The rough board flooring creaks beneath his feet as he crosses the floor to the light switch. He reaches out in the dark. The switch creaks you.
Speaker 2: You use it.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's a door, You've found me. Yes, he's a door.
Speaker 2: I found you.
Speaker 1: Strange, He's a door. But true I found you. He's a door. I am going to kill you. No, no, he's a door. I have no mercy.
Speaker 2: I am going to put out the night. He's a door, and then I am going to kill you. You are going to die knowing that I shall live on after you are gone.
Speaker 1: But you can't. She'll be caught.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he's a doll. I shall not be caught.
Speaker 1: You bolted.
Speaker 2: The door on the inside is a door. And when the police come, they will have to send some one through the transom.
Speaker 1: That will be after you are dead. Is a door.
Speaker 2: And then when the policeman steps into the room, it will be in the dark. I shall step backwards out of the room. And when the lights go on.
Speaker 1: Is a door.
Speaker 2: I shall be one of the curious, morbid crowd about the door, looking horror stricken upon your dead body.
Speaker 1: I am going to put out the light. Is a door to a name.