Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of the Restaurant Report. Today we're going to be talking about AI and what it means for the restaurant space. So it's going to be a good one. I think you guys are going to like it. I've got the CEO and founder of Biki, this is a customer data platform and CDP out there, and his name is Abanov Kapor, and we're going to be talking about the potential of where the restaurant industry could go in terms of AI. You guys don't want to miss this one. Stick around and.
Speaker 2: We will be right back.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you in part by Gusto, the number one rated HR platform for payroll, benefits and more. With Gusto's easy to use platform, you can empower your people and push your business forward. Over four hundred thousand businesses choose Gusto every day. And let's get into it, guys. There's a couple of things you can do with Gusto that you should check out. Some of the solutions that you're just absolutely going to want to know about is of course, their business type. New businesses and startups, You guys are welcome coming in small businesses. Maybe you have a mid sized business that needs an all in one payroll and benefit program as well as HR all of this scaling. The cool thing about this is it's an all in one platform. They can also select and punch in right to your accountants. So check it out. You've got a Gusto Pro platform. You can become a partner with them if you're an accountant, So if you have a CPA already, this is the place for you. And of course the best thing is pricing. The thing about Gusto is flexible plans and features honest pricing, no hidden fees. This is the plan that we use, which is the Plus plan sixty bucks a month. Guys, you cannot go wrong. It's about nine bucks a person, so you guys can definitely afford it. Get in there and choose Gusto with a full suite of tax services, HR services, time tracking, scheduling, expenses, reimbursements. You get the picture. Gusto is the place for you. Check it all out. Just go over to Gusto dot com use our link down below to get started. See you there. All right, we're back here and we're going to dive into AI and the use case. As I said, we're gonna have Abanov come on today and talk a little bit more about it. Biki is one of those companies that powers database decisions for brands like Bojangles, Mod Pizza, Dave's Hot Chicken, Plia Bowls, and also Eggs Upgrill. So he's already in a lot of brands, and the question is is how does Ai truly fit. So let's just get him into the show and we'll kind of bring him in and see what Abanava is doing. Abanov, how are you?
Speaker 2: I said, great for you? Yeah, you got it? Yeah? How are you give me.
Speaker 1: A quick rundown on Beki? What do you guys?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: You talked about customer data platform, but what does that mean to a brand?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: So I started the business seven and a half years ago. My mother also restaurant operator, and she was literally writing down phone numbers off of delivery tablets and emailing customers who made reservations on open table and just got obsessed with this idea that you know, she's in the business of hospitality and really doesn't know anything about the person behind the transaction, you know, in New York City or something like Restaurant Week, and she would do a restaurant week menu, and she would say, are new people actually coming in on the restaurant week menu? Am I taking an existing guest and just pulling their visit forward and giving them, you know, a cheaper prefix option. Am I driving more frequency as a result of this restaurant week menu? And again she had all these sort of like breadcrumbs of data around her business, but no real way to answer some of these critical questions. And so I got obsessed with this idea of you know, how do we basically pull together all of a restaurant's data across point of sale payments, online ordering, reservations, loyalty Wi Fi and really map the entire customer journey for them. And then when they pull a lever in their business, whether it's a marketing promotion or a new menu item, instead of looking at you know, top line sales, which is really the only real indicator most brands have to understand the success of what's happening in how do we give them the customer level data, the impact on traffic, on frequency, on churn to really know what decisions are successful and how successful are they. And so today we work with as you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Around Yeah, quite a few brands across the US now, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So thousands of locations. Dave sat Chicken. How what's the oldest brand that you guys have deployed on.
Speaker 3: EXCEP Grill is definitely our our you know, the og as I would say they took a leap of faith on us in the early days, and uh, you know it was for them, it was a very simple initial use case, which was like, we just want to personalize our local store marketing. Yeah, and we need a way to use data to use that, and then we need a way to measure how successful those efforts are. And it's really it's expanded from there to incorporate the menu operations, all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the the idea of AI usage. I mean, it's been more and more of a topic here on our network as we cover it on across a lot of the podcasts. But when you look at the real use case for the restaurant industry, many people will point to back a house. Possibly we could see it in the operational side in terms of equipment AI integration to where you you know, there's just less of the everyday functionality of someone running an additional machine or having another body back there that maybe AI could be the potential holy grail of back of house. What is your opinion. Do you think we're going to see it more on back of house or do you think we're going to see more customer facing stuff?
Speaker 3: I think, honestly, I think the short answer is we'll probably see it everywhere over time.
Speaker 2: I would caution anybody from thinking.
Speaker 3: That there are really good, you know, game changing use cases for AI in the restaurant industry, and I would apply that actually to I mean, I think about it this way right like I don't. I'm thinking about how I use AI in my life as a founder and CEO, and I'm only just still feel like I'm scratching the surface of what it's capability for me in my work, let alone someone who is, you know, trying to execute perfectly across order prep, across hiring and labor management, across inventory management, across P and L management. And so I think again, this is the arc of AI is long, and adoption and value will take time to create. That being said, you know, there are some options to take some of the low hanging fruit, the more manual work that operators are doing, and automate some of those through AI. Right, exactly what I think of is, you know, there's obviously a very high correlation from responding to reviews on Yelp and Google with having a higher profile, and then you get surface more in the search results, and that leads to higher sales and traffic, and it can be very you know, when my mother in law came home from at the end of the day, the last thing she wants to do is flip open her computer at eleven thirty at night and say, let me respond to all my Google reviews. But that being said, yeah, you could use AI, and maybe it doesn't remove the personal touch, but you could start to use AI to at least engage guests who leave good reviews yeah, or flag the ones that are potentially negative reviews that need your time as an operator, need some of your valuable time to investigate and understand.
Speaker 2: What I've talked to.
Speaker 1: I've talked to a lot of operators that have kind of said, hey, listen, I'm starting to use it in workflow management, whether it's hiring, much like to your point customer service to a certain level, being able to do more and easier, I should say, functional workflow projects that they might be like a training manual, or maybe they're doing something, you know, in a market research around real estate all that kind of those seem to be much more clerical and more functional tools and tasks for a restaurant operator. But once you get inside the operations, then that's where it gets to be a question for me is just how quickly is it going to come and become a thing I hear? And I've talked to a lot of different technology companies that are starting to move in this space. I had one company on not too long ago that was talking about agentic AI and what they had done is creating AI agents to kind of create these mundane task scenarios that might play out in just through a food order. This is one of the early stage companies that we've talked with, and this could be a factor going forward, especially if we see a new interface. Do you think there is a possibility that because AI is moving so quickly on the consumer front, that maybe we see some AI front ends coming at restaurants in unique ways through like ordering, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think voice is the big thing that obviously a lot of people are exploring, you know, and I won't it's still amazing to me that even within our guest base that you have high single digit percentages of orders for some brands right right being calling being phone orders, And I think there's a very there are some really good founders out there that are experimenting with ways to basically automate.
Speaker 2: That entire process.
Speaker 3: I mean using a voice, a natural human sounding voice, to answer the phone, take the order, send place the order, PULD, send a payment link, like I have a friend of mine who's working on this right now, and it is pretty minimally like as a user, you don't necessarily know you're talking to an AI. And I think that'll get even better over time, meaning it'll be harder to kind of perceive are you talking to a.
Speaker 2: Human our emissions?
Speaker 3: Yeah, from an experience standpoint, Like my whole philosophy with restaurants is, you know, if you look at sort of what happened with retail a decade ago, you had this hollowing out of the middle where you had, you know, the department stores like Macy's, JC Penny, the things that tried to be everyone for everything, for everyone, they sort of kind of lost away. But if you look at sort of where the spectrum went, people either anchored on convenience or experience, and I think the same thing is going to happen to the restaurant industry, for better or worse. And so things like voice ordering and AI and voice AI for ordering leans into a convenience aspect where you are someone who is trying to serve I think in my mother in law again, you are someone who's trying to serve the guest in store, someone who's actually sitting down and spending their hard earned dollars and wants that more experiential environment. The last thing you want to do is rip away from the guest experience and answer phone and take a phone order, which is what again my mother in law would do. And so, you know, taking some of this low hanging fruit and enabling operators to serve more guests more frictionlessly through technology, I think is certainly a powerful trend that will continue and enhances the overall guest experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if we're going to see that point where the customer's leverage of AI tools themselves becomes a superpower. You know, if you think about find me the best reservation, find me the restaurants that do this, this or that, especially on travel planning. I know we've started to do that within our own family. I've been surprised at how well it does going into a city. I'm traveling to DC here soon, and I gave it a whole litany of things to do. And this was perplexity, I think, and it came back with some fairly competent answers that I was like, that's not bad. I mean, I might do a little bit better on this topic. But do you think that consumers are now going to kind of have that one up on where the industry is going? Well?
Speaker 3: I think so, But you know, I think consumers are for better or worse, you know, because of how I never like when people say restaurant operators are slow to adopt technology because they don't think technology can work for them. I don't think that's true. I think the business is so demanding that is genuinely hard to take time out of your day to be like, what's the latest tech trend and how can I adopt it for my business? Right, you're just working in the business so much that it's hard to work on the business, and so a lot of the tech trends that happen in this industry for better or worse are consumer are changes on the consumer side that drag the restaurant industry along with them. Marketplaces are a great example of this. Now to your question specifically around will consumers sort of be on the front end of AI and will that bring restaurants along.
Speaker 2: I saw a post.
Speaker 3: I saw the CEO of par which is a big publicly traded company in our industry. He tweeted or he wrote something on LinkedIn interest recently which was what happens to the third party delivery platforms in a role in the world of agentic and voice AI where you can say to an AI, go do this, or order me a burger from shakeshak ye, you know, and it's all through your voice, and it's like, okay, what do you want? Okay, do you want? What are the modifiers that you want? Do you want to and it up sells you through the power of your voice. Where does that order actually get placed? Does it through a phone call to that restaurant, does it happen on the restaurant's direct online ordering platform, or does it happen through the third party delivery platform? And I think that is a very interesting, like a nuanced case where we aren't even grappling with the with the ramifications of that type of behavior. I think we're still, you know the world of ais progressing quickly, so we're probably at least twelve months away from something like that happening.
Speaker 1: It's actually happening now. We just we saw one of the tests that was done at a project build not too long ago on blockchain, and this was a company that was doing a gentic ai and they were using basically using blockchain to track the payment mechanism that converted it into US dollars, but they were using some webbooks directly with Postmates and uber eats to be able to execute on it. Sure, on the restaurant side, it goes back to that kind of that tablet farm that used to exist in third party delivery where you had a tablet from everyone. I wonder if that will be the factor going forward, But that has been done with agentic ai.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The question will be is when does a restaurant build their own agent and that is able to handle it and handle whether it's up selling, you know, dynamic pricing, all sorts of things that could play into this. Do you think that will be coming first?
Speaker 3: I think that's tough for you know, and like our sort of philosophy at BICKI here from a from a customer data and analytics standpoint is, you know, and we work with brands that are up to one thousand units. And the way we like to frame it is always like you're in the business of ordering, of making food, and.
Speaker 2: Executing on the guest experience.
Speaker 3: Like that is your at the end of the day when you think about, like source what drives retention in a restaurant, Like, I'll just give you some high level stats, like typically we have about three hundred and fifty guest profiles, three hundred and fifty million guest profiles in our system. And the thing that we found is that on average, eighty percent of guests never come back after the first visit, and the twenty percent that do come back can drive anywhere from fifty to seventy five percent of a brand's revenue. Yeah, and so making the food, executing on the food, and executing on that experience is the highest probability thing that you can do as a restaurant to increase frequency, drive retention, and drive long term repeatable sales. Now Nowhere in that equation does building technology factor in for better or worse. And so I think to your question, maybe the biggest, the top five, the top ten brands, McDonald's, Domino's, you know, Chick fil A. They have engineering teams, they are thinking about the cutting edge of leveraging AI and data and machine learning. Maybe they will invest in building out some of these capabilities. But I would say the other ninety nine point nine percent of brands, it's hard enough doing that number one priority well consistently enough over time that again I think, you know, entrepreneurs, people who innovate in the space will come in and provide some of that value and make it easier for restaurants to use those tools and use that technology to grow their businesses.
Speaker 1: What do you Okay, So let's jump over to adoption barriers, because this could happen on two fronts. One front, of course, is adoption in the restaurant space, which you, as a tech company, has got to You've got a chance to experience that very slow moving in terms of the restaurant industry attaching to technology and being able to leverage it. That's number one. Then you have the adoption cycle of the consumer, which seems to be much faster. I mean, we saw with social media. We've seen it with mobile that all of that was kind of the restaurant industry was kind of pulled through by the consumer. Do you feel like that's going to be the case with a lot of the AI tools.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't see a reason that could change. I mean, the thing that the big exception, the big caveat here and this will probably make me eat my words, but you never know when someone's gonna when someone is going to solve the operational toil for lack of our term, involved in running the business in a day to day basis. So the example that comes to mind is is if you have an operator that can just say, hey, like we're out of we're out of onions, like eighty six everything with onions from my instore menu, my and my delivery menu. Right Like, of course we will get to that. I don't know what the timeline is, but we will get to that point. And that's when you sort of have the restaurant industry themselves trying to adopt some of these technologies. But that being said, that always happened. Second, the consumer. The consumer is the primary driver of what sort of like brings the restaurant the restaurant business along from a technology standpoint, like, even think about it with my business, right, Like I started the business seven and a half years ago, back in twenty seventeen, no one cared about data for restaurants like I was out there. Even my mother in law was like, this seems like a great platform. I can't use it. Right. But then when the pandemic happened and every consumer was like, I still want to order food out, I don't want to cook all the time. Then my phone started blowing up and people were saying, hey, you talked to us about data for the last two and a half years.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I never see my guess anymore. Please help me figure out who these guests are and how I can understand them and serve them better.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And so it was consumer switching their behavior and the adoption of digital tools that force the restaurants to sort of modernize their tech stacks for lack of a better term. And I think that is the wave that we are still riding today. And so I think there will be breakthrough moment in AI from an ordering standpoint, probably that again, you know, kicks off this next cycle for AI for operations, AI for supply chain, AI for finance, AI for analysis, which is some of the stuff that work.
Speaker 1: So there has been some discussion out there around some of the vcs that are saying, hey, you know, with AI tools, it's very possible that we could see you know, the first handful of billion dollar businesses that are solo entrepreneurs, you know. And if you translate that into a restaurant and say, hmmm, what about a restaurant that could operate at you know, maybe a five million dollar clip at UV with half or one third of the staff. Do you think that is a potential in the future of where this goes.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's I think it's it's good to sort of speculate on a software side, But like restaurants, are these are still still businesses you know manual Yeah, yeah, these are still real businesses now. I think if the question is will there be efficiencies, absolutely I think so. But at the end of the day, like if you look at five million dollar AUV at a twenty dollars average check, my mental math is not good, but that's a lot of transactions on a per score basis. That's a lot of meals that you are serving to the got someone's got to make them, Someone's still going to make them, someone's still got a problem, someone still well.
Speaker 1: It depends on automation. I mean, Chipotle's done a fairly good job on on creating some of the robot lines, and it's very early stage. The couple of companies that have already kind of gone down that direction where we could see more, you know, assembly line style restaurants. Now, granted you lose the hospitality model there with that for the most part depends on how it's done. But do you think it will have an impact on the design of restaurants, because if you do get into robotic lines and things of that nature, they're going to look different.
Speaker 3: They will, absolutely, I think. I mean, I think you're seeing it with sneakering.
Speaker 2: Right now and they're infinite cares exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is they are, and you know they can serve. I forget what the numbers are, but from a store level margin standpoint, I think their traditional stores are eighteen percent in the infinite kitchens are twenty five percent.
Speaker 2: Wow, the store level margins like seven.
Speaker 3: Hundred baits of that is huge, huge, huge dollars that are going to the bottom line, and that's why it's half of all new bills now moving forward, and I think eventually be one hundred percent of volume the builds moving forward. So I think I think you're seeing that where the restaurants will look different because there are labor benefits, there are through put benefits, which is what really dry like that nomination is what can help them hopefully become a more profitable entity over the long term.
Speaker 2: But I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think it will change design in ways that we aren't even speculating. Like you look at the pandemic, like the dining seventy percent of the business off premise.
Speaker 2: Most of it's still drive through. They're still growing.
Speaker 3: But almost every brand I can think of that we work with in the QSR fast casual space, the only.
Speaker 2: Saying I need a dining room.
Speaker 3: No one is saying a bigger dining groups. Everybody is looking to get smaller and serve more people with through smaller boxes.
Speaker 1: Well and you with their party. And especially when we see agents start to play into this in terms of speed and throughput, and then you have enough automation, Yeah, you're right, you could get to you know, boxes that could do five million in rev that would be pretty significant. And to your point on what you were talking about with Sweet Greens, I mean that in itself when you look at their advancement, because that's only going to get better as we start to see the technology kind of resolve itself over the next few years. All right, aban IV, Let's get into the last couple of points I want to hit at. One is when you look at the space the industry right now, several sectors are growing fairly well, and we had some surprises. Some of the surprises was Chili's. Then Red Robin came in and did surprise here recently on an earnings Is casual dining coming back?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, I think I did some work where I was looking at the splits between the brands we work with from QSR Fast Casual versus casual dining, and what I found was, because everybody was saying, like at the end of last year, right traffic is back, you know, we're positive finally again September, October, November December, that trend is going to continue early part of this year. That is broadly held true for Fast Casual QSR. What we're seeing in our brands is that those folks are up load to mid single digits from a traffic standpoint, which is incredible.
Speaker 2: That's where you want to be. Now.
Speaker 3: The thing that I can say about casual dining is it's less negative. It was high single digit negative and now it's mid single digit negative.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you got but if you get some wins like what Chipotle is not Chili's has done and read Robin, I guess the question will be is can it hold?
Speaker 2: You know, Kennedy's numbers hold.
Speaker 3: But I think they are sort of unique in that they prove. They're the exceptions that prove that prove the traditional restaurant playbook, which is great value, great food, great marketing. If you hit those, it doesn't matter what. If you hit those three things, you're going to knock it out of the park and do a great job. I think both of those brands have been executing on those They've been executing on them in different ways, but they have those three core elements, which is why you are seeing their off swing from a traffic standpoint. I think, like if I zoom ahead right like this is still a point of debate between me and and you know, founder friends as well as operators that we work with on where does casual dining go from here? People still want an experience. The problem that you see right now in the short term is that casual dining is getting squeezed by QSR and Fast Casual right right because Fast casual is casual level menu items food for a QSR level price essentially, and QSR it anchors more onconvenience, and so doubt people like I can get I can get.
Speaker 2: The same, it's solidy for more convenience. That's what I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's been this is the age old scenario that's come around since the midnight is when Fast Casual really started its emergencies. Where would it pull from? It pulls from the upper level, which is usually casual dining. So we'll see how it plays out. Twenty twenty five is just getting started here. We're going to find out quickly how some of these markets start to resolve. Abanav If people want to find you, where's the best place?
Speaker 3: Biki dot com b i kk y dot com is the website you can reach me directly. A'banov abhi navy at biki dot com. One thing we did not talk about, which I am excited for from an AI standpoint that I'd be remiss not to mention is you know, Paul, you and I were talking about where does this go as a data company. It's like AI is sort of part and parcel of our strategy for this year because to what I said earlier, my mother in law and in the beginning was like, this looks awesome. I don't really have the time to use it everything. With what AI will do, generally speaking, it will make insights more accessible, to make the ability to execute and build a thriving restaurant.
Speaker 1: Well analyzing the data itself. I mean we're using it even in our own tools to analyze audience demographics, all that within the podcast. I'm amazed. We used to have a data scientist that did all that work. We still have him, but he's doing other things now because.
Speaker 2: Value things, I bet. Yeah, exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because AI is really kind of stepped in to do a lot of that work. So very cool having you on the show today. Thanks so much for stopping in. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. It's great being here.
Speaker 1: You bet all right. If you guys are not tuned in over on YouTube, make sure and drop into save just search that on YouTube. You'll find us there. Subscribe to the show if you're watching this, if you are listening to this podcast, all you have to do is leave us a star over there on whether it's Spotify or Apple iTunes, either one of those will work great. We'll catch you next time right here on the Restaurant Report