Speaker 1: I'm back home in Los Angeles. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have a great show for you tonight, and we have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Coming up in fifteen minutes. You'll hear from Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes. You'll also hear my conversation with Cy Young Award winner, two time World Series Champion and now analyst for the MLB Network, Jake Peevey. We will share that with you as well. Man. Very happy to be back here in Los Angeles after a great four days in Dallas, Texas. I got to tell you these winter meetings were a lot more action packed than any winter meetings I can think of in recent memory. You know, at least it started off the right way with Juan Soto signing on Sunday night, and then from there we started to get more action, whether it was negotiations or actual signings. We actually had a few big things happen while we were in Dallas, Texas. After Juan Soto signed, then the New York Yankees moved on and picked up the pieces and signed in Sinos Max freed to the largest contract by a left handed pitcher. So there was a lot going on, including a lot of buzz about where Corbyn Burns is going to go, where Alex Bregman is going to go. And right now it's between the Boston Red Sox and San Francisco Giants for Corbyn Burns, and that brings us to Tioscar Hernandez. We do not have anything new to report on that front. The Dodgers and Tioscar's agent are still in dialogue to try to make this happen, and it feels like it's stalled out at the ten yard line last week and we're still there. But my understanding is, as Andrew Friedman stated a couple of days ago, so the Dodgers are still hopeful to make this happen. Taoscar Hernandez wants to come back. The Dodgers want him back, So the sooner the better in my opinion, if it's really going to happen, because I know Boston has been talked about they were interested in Taoscar last year and right now they're trying to pursue more pitching, even after trading for Garrett Crochet. They're looking for pitching and maybe if they miss out on Corbyn Burns, all of a sudden, they may really turn their attention to trying to sign ta Oscar Hernandez. And my understanding is it's between the Red Sox and Giants for Corbyn Burns. Remember Burns, it went to college in the Bay Area at Saint Mary's. He was teammates with Tony Gonsolin, so you can understand why maybe he has more or San Francisco has more appeal to him than Boston. But it's still unknown whether or not the Giants are willing to pay the to sign Corbyn Burns. They had the press conference in San Francisco on the same day all of baseball and sports eyes were in New York for Juan Soto's introductory press conference. Go figure that out. They Yeah, the Giants had Willia Domis's press conference in San Francisco on the same day. The Mets had the big press conference of the sports world today with Juan Soto. Go figure that one out. But nonetheless, the wild card in the ti Oscar Hernandez free agency sweepstakes, in my opinion, is the Toronto Blue Jays. Yes, he was there a few years ago before they traded him to Seattle. But you know, nobody can figure out what Toronto is trying to do. So the longer this goes on, the more you leave the door open for other teams that miss out on other pitchers or players to maybe engage with Taascar Hernandez, even with that qualifying offer attached to him. So, uh, you know, I'm still a believer that this will get done, but I would the longer it doesn't get done, you get a little concern. So that's where things are with Taascar Hernandez. Eight six six nine to eight seven two five seventy is the phone number in case you're wondering about Walker Bueller. Still no word on which team is going to land him. You know, the Oakland A's who signed Luis Severino to a three year, seventy five million dollar contract, they really did offer that same deal to Walker Bueller. And Walker Bueller is not going to pitch for the A's and he's not going to pitch for the A's and Sacramento, so that shouldn't be a surprise. He wants to win. He is a winner, and it looks like he's going to be wearing a different uniform next year. The Yankees, the Cubs, the Red Sox, the Orioles, the Rangers all have interest in Walker Bueller. So we'll see how that plays out. And also, you know, like we talked about last night from Dallas, Nolan Aeronato Dodgers thing, it's not going to happen. I would be shocked if it did. Brandon Gomes went on the record and said Maximunsey is going to be their third baseman, and I believe him. Right now, Nolan Aernato is owed a lot of money the last three years. Now the Dodgers have a lot of money, but they're not just going to throw it around for no particular reason. This is not twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen anymore. Nobody has ever beaten Father Time, and the Saint Louis Cardinals right now are going to rebuild. Nolan Aernato wants to be on a team that's going to win right now, he doesn't have a lot of leverage. I would say the one team that may make the trade for Aeronato would be the Phillies if they can move Alec Bohm. If they can move Alec Bohm, that would be the one team I would say Aeronauto would play third base for. But here's the kicker, and I'm not sure how many people realize this. I was told this today by somebody that is familiar with Nolan and the Cardinals. I'll put it that way. The Rockies, and I believe this is public knowledge. The Rockies, when they traded Aeronaudo to the Cardinals are paying ten million dollars of his annual average salary. The kicker is, if Aeronato is traded, the Rockies are off the hook. Whoever trades for Aeronauto hypothetically would have to pay the remainder of his contract. And that's where it gets a little tricky, where teams are saying, all right, Cardinals, you don't have a lot of leverage here. We're not going to give you a lot for him, and you're going to have to pay for some of this. The Cardinals don't want to do that, and teams don't want to take on Aeronato's full salary. Now, will he be traded? I one hundred percent believe he will be, because how are you gonna go back now? But it's a lot more complicated than just making a straight up trade. With all these different things attached to his contract. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Dodger talk with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. Let's go out to the phones before we hear from Brandon Gohmes and then Jake Peavey, our guy Kevin and Culver City lead us off. How you doing, Kevin?
Speaker 2: God is good.
Speaker 3: I want to give you a Merry Christmas to you and your family. Happy holidays, glad you are getting some good family time. And I heard you went to Disneyland with the sam Got love that man. You know, you the best on on theirs and I appreciate everything you've done. I just want to give some kudos to my boy Dave Roberts, the best manager based all hands down. I mean he's evolved as a manager. I remember he didn't want to He took Tyler Anderson all of that game he left trying it in there. That was one of the managery moves of the whole World Series. And your boy snails Zilla, how many times I call Dodger tack saying, can we get our boy Blake Snail here? We finally got it done. Look, I'm smoking cigars. We got a bona fide ace who's a left handed ace to take that mantle from Kershaw, learned from the best, and he's a dog in the playoffs. We know we've seen him do it. He's always wanted to be a Dodger, even when you're doing this project interviews, when he's on the podjets, he seemed why he wanted to be here with us. So it's great. Look I'm not tripping. I'm still enjoying this World Series. Thank you, Walker Bila for all you've done. You are a great age for us. You are a bonaphyte stud in two World Series Championship wins for us. Now let's take care of our own. Bring Koster back and let's bring up Boy back, kek her nanez Mster Clutch and run it back. I'm so excited. I can't wait for the snail Zilla with Shuvasay and f snail Zilla. That's his stake on the song Dodger Blue by Kendrick Lamar. Dodger Blue a Dodger song on your best so you gotta check it out.
Speaker 1: I've heard it. I love Ketchrick Lamar's new album, It's Awesome, Kevin. And that's when everybody freaked out about Nolan Aernato because one of his latest Instagram posts had that song attached to it, and that's when everybody freaked out. But I just feel like from what I gathered in the last couple of days, the Phillies seemed to be the best trade partner for the Cardinals for Nolan Arenado. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And look, you know, all these other teams are still trying to fill out their rosters with impact players. The Dodgers, who won the World Series, started the off season by retaining Austin Barnes and Miguel Rojas. Then they lock up Tommy Edmund the NLCSMVP, to a five year extension, and then from there they go out and sign arguably the best starting pitcher on the free agent market in Blake Snell. They bring back Blake Trinin, and they go out and sign Michael Conforto, and they're still looking to add another outfielder, whether that's ti Oscar Hernandez like we all hope, or somebody else. The Dodgers, to me, have been the most aggressive team, and that's coming off a World Series championship. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. We have two lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. When we continue, you'll hear my conversation with Brandon Gomes Dodgers GM before we left Dallas, and coming up at the bottom of the hour, you'll hear from Jake Peevee, who's now given his great insight on MLB Network. So a lot to get to between now at eight o'clock and who knows, maybe that ta Oscar Hernandez breaking news may come down sometime between now and before we get off the air. That's why I'm here, That's why I'm live. I'm on TAO watch until it happens on AM five to seventy LA Sports Angelus Dodgers David Vasse back in the City of Angels after four days in Dallas, Texas. Our next Dodger Talk show will be next Friday night, and I would imagine by then we would have more clarity on the Tioscar Hernandez sweepstakes. Who knows, we may even have it by the time we go off the air. Tonight. But that's the biggest thing. All of you are looking at taoscar Hernandez and as far as Keyk Hernandez goes, you know, Keik wants to come back, the Dodgers wanting back, but there's no need to have to make that move right now. There's a lot of strategy involved in trying to maximize your forty man roster even during the off season, so that's part of what's going on there. I wouldn't be alarmed about it. Keyk is one of the best October players we have seen in a Dodger uniform. You know, obviously Freddie Freeman and Tommy Edmond were dominant. Mookie Bets had his best October of not only his Dodger career, but of his entire postseason career going back to when the Red Sox won the World Series in twenty eighteen. I feel like Mooki is not getting enough love out there. I think we're all taken for granted just exactly how vital he was to the Dodgers winning the World Series and how he actually redeemed himself with the way he played in October. And I know I was saying it from spring training on it was the season of Mookie Bets. And it was still the season of Mookie Bets with the injury to his left hand when he got hit by that pitch and missed six weeks. You look at Mookie Betts this year. He was really good. He helped the Dodgers come back in the NLDS. Remember he hit home runs in consecutive games to bring them back. In the NLCS, Mookie Bets had an OPS of almost twelve hundred. He hit three forty six in the NLCS and drove in nine runs with two home runs. In the World Series two seventy eight, he drove in the go a head run in Game five on a sacrifice fly, So you know, I know it wasn't any dramatic type of hit he had, but Mooki Betts when the series in San Diego really started to turn the Dodgers way after Keik Hernandez started every single game in center field and Tommy Edmond moved to shortstop, Mooki Betts, as you know, was out there before the first game in San Diego taking batting practice from teammate Brent Honeywell to really get his confidence going. And from that point on, MOOKI never looked back. So don't forget how good Mookie Betts was in the playoffs. He got a lot of criticism the last two years leading into this season, and the reason why I was so confident that it was going to be Mookie's year is because in spring training he had that same look and attitude about him that he had in spring training in his first year with the Dodgers twenty twenty. And everything Mookie said, and I'm going to find it, we'll play it back next.
Speaker 4: Week, he delivered.
Speaker 1: He said it wasn't just about the regular season, It's about October. It all doesn't matter until October.
Speaker 4: And he proved it.
Speaker 1: He kept his focus and he helped the Dodgers win the World Series. And I was extremely happy for him to be able to enjoy a parade here in Los Angeles. Nothing like it and still one of my favorite days doing this job the last thirteen years. All Right, I want to share our conversation with Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes on our final night in Dallas. Here was our conversation about the Dodgers' off season, where it already has been and where it is going.
Speaker 5: Coming here.
Speaker 6: It works out that if you win the World Series, everything's a little more enjoyable. So this is the meetings have been great, and obviously we've turned our focus to twenty five of like going out and doing everything we can to repeat, which is incredibly challenging. But we feel like we're we've set a good foundation right now. I'm going to love to continue to add talent where we feel necessary, but also taking the time to appreciate the accomplishment of being able to win last year.
Speaker 1: And you guys have arguably been the most aggressive team already this offseason, signing Blake Snow, Michael Confordo, bringing back Blake Trinon. Do you feel like you've accomplished a lot that you wanted to accomplish already to this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we're right now if this season started, we feel like we're in a good place. That doesn't mean we're not looking to continue to get better, but we're happy with what we've been able to do. And you know, we kind of set out to add or relieve her a starting pitcher and an olt fielder, and we've done that, and now it's about how do we go out and continue to make the team better. And you said the repeating is even more challenging.
Speaker 5: Than winning it one time.
Speaker 6: So that's our main focus, and we'll do everything we can to put the best team out there.
Speaker 1: When you talk about repeating that you hear about the World Series hangover. How much of the equation to add players are adding hungry guys that have not won before. Blake Snell's never won before, Conforto hasn't won before. How much does that help just fuel that desire of guys that have been there and done it last year and other years.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think that is we're just looking to continue to add talent on those fronts. They are incredibly hungry, and obviously they're coming here to try to win a World Series. I feel like, experiencing the parade and what everybody went through last year, our guys are going to be on the other side of complacency, and I feel like it's going to be like this hunger and you know, an even deeper desire to go out and win, knowing how how how incredible it was to have that parade and get back to Dodger Stadium and see it packed and celebrate with the city. So I feel like our guys are in a really good place of Hey, let's get back to work and do it again.
Speaker 1: You know when you Obviously the last twelve thirteen years, players have wanted to come to play for the Dodgers because of the culture and the infrastructure.
Speaker 5: You guys have created.
Speaker 1: But this offseason, do you feel like you've gotten more offers from players that, hey, I'd love to join this party too. It feels like there's a lot more players that are being very upfront that they would love to join the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been it's been an exciting time to see that, and it's it's what you know, we were looking to build. And obviously having just one is incredibly helpful. But the culture and guys talking to guys that are on the team and other you know, other staff members, and like just understanding that we're going to do everything we can to get everything and talent wise out of each and every player, and we're going to take care of you on and.
Speaker 5: Off the field. So I think players are appreciating.
Speaker 6: That and want to come and join the group.
Speaker 5: Who you know, our number one goes to win a.
Speaker 6: World Series, and my assumption is that, yeah, that is the goal of most guys as well.
Speaker 1: Roki Sazaki's agent I got you know, well, Joel Wolfe had a big press conference yesterday to kind of kick off the period of forty five days for teams to sign him, and now able to kind of discuss it a little bit. What's so appealing about him? For those of us that don't know a lot about Roki Sazaki, why is there such a demand for him?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean it's an incredible arm talent.
Speaker 6: He's obviously young, and for as good as he's been, you know, we feel like being in our environment with our coaches, there's opportunity to continue to get better. And this is the type of arm that you watch him pitch and you're like, this could be a cy young winner in the big leagues. So I think everybody who has seen him throw, whether it's live or on video, it is it is wild type stuff with legitimate upside for him to continue to get better and grow and develop.
Speaker 5: So it's a unique package.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: There's Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes giving us a glimpse into the Dodgers off season so far and being very very candid with us as far as the Dodgers' evaluation of young Japanese right hander Roki Sazaki, who was posted a couple of days ago. Officially, he's twenty three years old, throws one hundred miles an hour, has a great split fingered fastball, and the Dodgers have a lot of interest in him and think very highly of him, as you just heard Brandon Gomes described now the way it's been described to me by Japanese reporters that have seen Sazaki pitch and know a lot more about him than I do. He's twenty three years old, and they still feel like he can grow into his body and that what you're going to get in his first season is not it's barely scratching the surface of the potential he has. And that's what is really attractive to the Dodgers and every other team in baseball to try to sign Rochi Sazaki. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Victorville. James, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, James?
Speaker 5: Hey, nice talking to you, Richard.
Speaker 3: Everything you do?
Speaker 6: A quick question regarding Dallas trip out there?
Speaker 3: Any word on boern Any.
Speaker 7: Paple talking about Bower bringing him back, or just to talk about him.
Speaker 1: Maybe now nobody ever mentions his name, James. I saw his agent Rachel Luba out there, but nobody was saying anything about Trevor Bauer.
Speaker 2: I you know, just there's like a lot of talk about pitchers pictures.
Speaker 1: Just out there, like hey, you know, well yeah, yeah, that makes you wonder why not, right, I mean, there's got to be more to this story than we know, right Why teams are not trying to give Trevor Bauer another chance? And I'm not talking about the Dodgers, I'm talking about any of these teams. There's gotta be more than we know about, right or you know, he's a He's a very polarizing figure, James, So teams have to evaluate, uh, whether or not the cost is worth the reward.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 8: I appreciate your help on this matter, and keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Maybe all right, James, thanks a lot for the phone call. Yeah, you know, it's funny not many people were talking about Trevor Bauer. I feel like if anybody was gonna take a chance on him, we would have heard about it, but we have not. So Trevor Bauer, I believe, pitched last year again in Mexico. Yasio Puige is playing in Mexico, So that's where those two guys are right now for different reasons. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a great time in Dallas. The first night I was out there, went to a great dinner and it seemed to be kind of the place to be because at one table behind us was the entire Angels baseball operation staff led by Param Nissian. A few tables down was the Boston Red Sox table with Alex Cora and the team president Sam Kennedy, among others. And a table in the way back of the restaurant was Boris Corpse. Scott Boris's team were celebrating the signing of Juan Soto. It was on Sunday night, and the highlight of the Dallas was having dinner with Clayton Kershaw, Dave Roberts, Brad Paisley, and then going to Clayton's house. I've never been there before, and him and Ellen great hospitality and we hung out there. I think Brad was trying to pull off another deal, but you know, you can't recreate what happened in Nashville last year. But we had a great time. Brad Paisley actually flew in just to hang out and talk baseball. That's how big of a Dodger fan he is, and him and Kershaw are very close they so it was great that he came in, and it was it was really great to spend some time with Clayton as he recovers from his left knee and left foot surgery. He's not on crush it crutches anymore, but he has his foot in a boot. So he was in great spirits and uh uh, he'll be back as a Dodger. But like I said, there's a strategic maneuver here to open up forty man roster spots for a guy that's going to art the season on the injured list. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take our final time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, you'll hear from Jake Peevey and we'll take more of your phone calls until eight o'clock and you never know. Ta Oscar still a free agent. Who knows might happen in the next thirty minutes Dodger Talk with David Vass right here on a five to seventy LA Sports David Vass Dodger Talk for your World champion Los Angeles Dodgers get used to hearing that they're looking to repeat this season, becoming the first major League team to win back to back World Series championship since the late nineties Yankees, and the Dodgers have a pretty good chance of accomplishing that if they can stay healthy.
Speaker 2: You may have a.
Speaker 1: Starting rotation in the postseason of Blake Snell, sho he Otani, Yoshi Imamoto, and Clayton Kershaw and maybe even Tyler Glass. Now that's a pretty good starting five if you're going into a playoffs series. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have a few lines open. We'll get to you in a moment, but I want to share my conversation with Jake Peavey, who is teammates with Dave Roberts in San Diego, and it feels like everybody that had Dave Roberts back were rewarded with the way he managed last season and the Dodgers winning the World Series championship, and just the great job Dave did of handling his ball club all last year and especially in October. We're deep in the heart of Texas with one of the great guys you'll ever meet, a two time World Series champion, a Cy Young Award winner, one of the best pitchers of his generation for the Padres, the Red Sox, the Giants, and he now is lending his expertise and sharing everything he knows with us on MLB Network. That's the one and only Jake Peve. Jake great to do this in person.
Speaker 9: You're not supposed to mention all those teams.
Speaker 7: The Red Sox didn't, you know, won a World Series out there. The Giants and Padres aren't too well liked.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you this.
Speaker 7: I never got a chance to play for the Sorry about that, shaking Craig Counsel's hand, right. It's winter meetings like a family reunion. I never got to play for the Dodgers, obviously, I was a hated rival.
Speaker 9: Being in San Diego, being in San Francisco, Dodger Stadium was my favorite venue to play in home or away.
Speaker 7: I loved Dodger Stadium, seemed to do okay there and then now have close friends with Dave Roberts being the manager who I played with for many years and on down the line. Mark Pryor Josh Bard was my catcher side Young Award year. So many ties to the Dodgers, and it's hard to dislike it at all.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a hard guy to dislike as well. Trust me, we're all well aware of how big of a thorn you were in the side of the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Jake.
Speaker 7: Look, I was lucky that they didn't have lineups like they have now. I will tell you that I had to manage through in the early days. It would be Sean Green and Eric Carros and dodge around those guys.
Speaker 9: And keep the ball on the ballpark.
Speaker 7: But now, just what a venue Dodger Stadium was, and look on full display this year being World champions.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jake, I remember our conversation in the middle of the summer, and you really were stressing that LA needed to appreciate this team and Dave Roberts especially. Do you feel like after the way he managed not only Game five of that World Series, but the entire postseason, there's a greater appreciation for how good he is.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 7: I think you know, this year everybody got to see who Dave Roberts was. Could he rally the troops you know, we'd always talked about the Dodgers, you know, albeit the twenty twenty season and World champions there were that asterisk that people wanted to put on it. It was, you know, horseshit if you asked me, it's a World championship, but there was just some stigma around it.
Speaker 9: So and then the path that the Unders took. You saw how good the Padres were.
Speaker 7: We saw that our back against against the wall with a bullpit game.
Speaker 9: We hear about him calling out Walker Bueller, not.
Speaker 7: In a malicious way, but a way that gets the best out of him. You hear Mookie Betts speak of Dave Roberts and what he means to all of them on.
Speaker 9: And off the field.
Speaker 7: I tried to convey that when we talked Midsummer, because I know all this to be true. I'm so happy Dodger fans. The front office, I know knows it, but I think the fans saw that he certainly rallied the troops and had them ready to play with their back against the wall. You win Game four, elimination game, you win Game five, and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: When a manager goes out like Dave Roberts did in Game five, and Freddie Freeman is showing him away from trying to take out Blake, trying in in a pivotal moment. He talks to try and looks in his eyes. Gets the feel that this guy can get what the batters that he's talking about. What does that say about him and what does it say about the players respect for him moving forward?
Speaker 7: Well, it says that he's got a feel on the game. And we'll listen to the guys who've been around. You know, the one thing that's kind of happened in baseball is players with years of experience in decades even are almost like not valued like their opinion should matter in the moment or in prep or decision making in general. So, you know, the best in the game I know, and the best I've been around, Bobby.
Speaker 9: Cox and Bruce Bouchie and on.
Speaker 7: So Dusty Baker, Tito Francona, could keep going on.
Speaker 9: There's all a.
Speaker 7: Measure of field that they have within the organization. They're certainly leaning on the front office and all of the information, but there's also a game feel and knowing what your players are going through that day, how they feel if they want it bad enough. So it was fun to see that the Dodgers, who take so much slack for being very analytically driven and making those decisions, they've proved that they have feel as well.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're describing what Blake's Noew described at his press conference when they ask them about Dave Roberts his relationship with him moving forward. He said, I want to invest in a relationship with Dave and the coaching staff, but I also expect them to invest in me as well. It sounds like that's the biggest part of this marriage, this new marriage with anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, Look, I don't think to try to put what a manager does every day in perspective. A manager's got to get to the field, prep for the game, make sure all of his coaches are ready to go, talking to all.
Speaker 9: The front office and the strategy and all of this.
Speaker 7: Meanwhile, he's got twenty six players that he's got to talk to and connect for maybe two to five minutes each guy, twenty six guys on every day, you're trying to check in on him. Is everything all right at home? Is everything okay with their family? Down to You know, that's where the field comes in. You know, who's in a good mood, who's in a bad mood or things going good off the field not so good.
Speaker 9: You have a feel for your players. It is an exhausting job.
Speaker 7: You go talk to the media, you know, and then you go down and you grind through a game.
Speaker 9: As soon as that's over, you have to.
Speaker 7: Walk, you know, in None of the other coaches have to do this. The manager has to go in and now face the media and talk to him, answer all the questions. And that's on a daily basis for you know, one hundred and sixty two games over one hundred and eighty plus days.
Speaker 9: So the manager's job is exhausting.
Speaker 7: The guys who do it well are incredible communicators and know exactly what I just told you, and try to do that, but try to manage it's talk to forty plus guys that you're leading on a daily basis.
Speaker 9: It's a a big charge, you know, it's a big task.
Speaker 4: You ever get that guy out Rul Labanyak give.
Speaker 7: Him out much, I'll tell you that, And he still looks like he can plays jacked.
Speaker 1: Hey, how much do you love the marriage and the fit with Blake Snell on the Dodgers and in this rotation I'm been a big advocate of his. I'm curious from your standpoint a fellow saw young Award winner, what you see with Snell as a Dodger.
Speaker 9: Well, the Dodgers do it again.
Speaker 7: They go get the best guy on the market, Blake Snell. I love Corbyn Burns, and I love Max Freed, Love love Max Freed. In some other arms Valdi. Blake Snell when he is right, forget about it. And the Dodgers saw that, they understand that they've dealt with it firsthand, and watching.
Speaker 9: San Diego come up and deal with it, the Dodgers also.
Speaker 7: Fit what Blake Snell has been accustomed to doing five or six innings or so, and then you know just what they've been able to get out of their players. And then you start to win a World Series like they did this year, just become the most a desirable place to play on Earth.
Speaker 9: And look, you're in southern California. Does it get any better?
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Jake Pevy, you know all about that. Jake Peevey a great star for MLB Network. Yesterday, Brandon Gomes announced to all of us Jake PV that Mookie Betts is preparing to be the shortstop again, what was your reaction when you first heard that.
Speaker 7: I was a little taken back, you know, just because I think I was taking back because of how valuable you saw him be in the outfield in the postseason, the plays in right field, cutting off of balls, the dive in plays that.
Speaker 9: Was on full display.
Speaker 7: So to see that they're gonna move him. I haven't talked to MOOKI other than congratulations, and I haven't really talked to anybody in the Dodgers organization other than Dave Roberts just a little bit. We didn't get in any of this. It's just congratulatory stuff really, But Mookie can do anything he wants to do, and I think with him having a full season Dave said it last night, to offseason to prepport mentally and understand what he's gonna do, work on the arm angle and stuff like that.
Speaker 9: Mookie's the best athlete.
Speaker 7: I've ever been around, top to bottom, the best athlete I've probably ever had a chance to be up closer and personal with. So I don't put anything passing my expect him to win an MVP at shortstop.
Speaker 9: I like that.
Speaker 1: Jake Peevee, all right, before I let you go, since we are in the lobby of the Winter Meeting, where all the deals are made or come close to being made. I'm gonna give you some names, rapid fire. I'd love to hear your prediction on where you think they end up. Alex Brigman, I.
Speaker 9: Think Alex Bregman back ends up back in Houston.
Speaker 7: Houston's gonna give it one more go with that cast of characters they have.
Speaker 9: I think he ends up back there.
Speaker 4: Corbyn burns.
Speaker 9: I think Corbyn burns.
Speaker 7: Corbyn's a tough one on where he's gonna land.
Speaker 9: I think he might land in Boston.
Speaker 4: Walker freaking Buehler, I.
Speaker 7: Think Walker Bueher may end up in Boston with him.
Speaker 4: Breaking my heart.
Speaker 7: Look, I can't see Walker coming back with the surplus of arms, and that just doesn't have to be Boston.
Speaker 9: No, right, Look, I mean it's better than New York, right.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: One other, this one for the Dodger fans out there, give them hope to Oscar Hernandez will find his way back.
Speaker 9: My gosh, I certainly hope. So.
Speaker 7: I don't know how with what all we know and have heard about tay Oscar and who he was, I don't know how. You don't make that happen. I'll tell you this, when the man has the postseason he did. When he has the season, all the other teams hear what they heard about the teammate and what kind of guy he is. It just and he's in free agency. He's getting bombarded in the price to retaining is going up. But again it seems like the Dodgers are okay financially and can do it. I don't see him letting him get out of town.
Speaker 4: All right, Jake, thanks a lot for doing that. Man.
Speaker 1: Awesome to meet you and spend time in person. Your first class. Now I know why everybody loves Jake Pevy. Thanks a lot.
Speaker 7: Very good to see, always good to be on with you. We'll see how the n O West plays out this year.
Speaker 9: Gonna be a big win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Yankees, Red Sox on the East coast, Dodgers Padres on the west.
Speaker 7: N O West is the new Jugger not you know, I know Colorado's rebuilding. The other four teams are very competent and can get in and win a World Series any given year.
Speaker 1: All right, there's our conversation with Jake Peavy. Appreciate his educated predictions on where players will land this offseason, and yeah, it feels like Corbin Burns. It's either going to be the Red Sox or Giants. It's interesting Jake Peevey picked the Red Sox for where Walker Bueller is going to land. I know Walker has met with Alex Cora. Alex Cora was impressed with him. How can you not be right? He exudes confidence and is a big game pitcher, and Cora is that type of manager. So it's either for me, I'm going to predict one of three teams for Walker Buehler. It's either going to be the Rangers, the Cubs, or the Yankees. Those are my three teams that I'm predicting for Walker Buehler, especially after the Red Sox traded for Garrett Crochet. Now, if the Red Sox lose out on Corbin Burns, then maybe Walker Buehler is a stronger possibility. They may escalate their offer to Bueller if they don't get Corbyn Burns. But after Corbyn Burns signs, it feels like the next starter on the free agent market that is going to get the price bidding going is going to be Walker Buehler, who wants to pitch for a winner. He's not going to pitch for anything less, so I thought it also is interesting that Jake Peeve predicted Alex Bregman with stay in Houston. Kind of feels like Alex Bregman is looking at the Al East, either the Yankees or Red Sox. It feels like one of the worst kept secrets or the biggest rumor out there is that Christian Walker is going to sign with the Yankees, and possibly Paul Goldschmidt goes back to Arizona to close out his Hall of Fame caliber career. So those are some of the different things going on around the league. And first and foremost, you heard Jake Peevey say what everybody's echoing. They all expect Teoscar Hernandez to find his way back to the Dodgers. And I feel like, you know, the sooner the better on that, because the longer you leave the door cracked open with not getting it done, all of a sudden, now you're opening the door for teams that miss out on the primary targets to maybe come in and do something irrational. And that's what free agency sometimes turns into. And look, if the Dodgers lost ta Oskar Hernandez, would it be a devastating blow. No, but we all know what Taoscar Hernandez meant to the Dodgers and how much he meant in that clubhouse, and how he brought everybody together, not to mention how great he fits in this lineup. Thirty three home runs almost one hundred RBIs home run derby champion. One of the best smiles you'll see it just it just feels like ta Oscar Hernandez and the Dodgers are better together than they would be a part. All right, let's take one more phone call. She's been tweeting at me, instagramming at me, wondering when Dodger talk is going to happen. Our old friend Isabelle in Anaheim.
Speaker 4: Hi is he? How you doing?
Speaker 8: Hey hey David, Happy holidays to me your family. Yeah, you know, Oh thank you.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 8: Listen, I just I hate tity walks to goingwhere. But what you've been saying it's gonna happen, It's gonna happen. I just want to ask, good guy. It was my one of my favorite Dodger play and I will promise you this year I make ye. I'm getting to a Dodger gain some help. I still want me the whole team. But but then I was so excited about it.
Speaker 1: I think Ronnie's still offering a ride to Dodger Stadium. If not, maybe Matt money Smith after one of his scintillating Instagram lives, can give you a ride to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, maybe.
Speaker 1: Next time you watch your Instagram live with Money you should comment and ask him, Hey, Money, when you going to take me to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 8: I don't know how to do it, Like I don't know how TV incidram.
Speaker 4: I'll take care of it for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but anyway, you know what though, I was so excited about the Dogs but the Dodge winning that I don't know what happened next year. If they happen next year, they can play fine. They happened, But the only thing I gotta say is it was a great season. You did the great job as always, David. Then you can did the great job. And I owed him. I owe him a bigger party after last year. So anyway, because because I was really lipping on the Dodges during the season, so I do owe him many party. So anyway, go Dodgers have a happy, more tough next making happy holidays.
Speaker 1: All right, Isabelle, thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Since we only have one Dodger Talk live show next Friday, I may drop a podcast exclusive for you guys next Wednesday before the Friday live show, and then from there it's Christmas vacation. And you know, the Dodgers already have put a lot of Christmas presents under the tree, starting with a World Series championship and now signing Blake Snell, Michael Confordo, bringing back Tommy Edmund, Miguel Rojas, Austin Barnes, and hopefully ta Oscar Hernandez here in the next few days. And you know, I always say opening day is not until you know, March for the Dodgers this year in Tokyo. But like I said, you don't want to leave that door open for some of these other teams that miss out on their pitching free agent targets to get any ideas about maybe upping their offer or actually getting more aggressive with Taoscar Hernandez. And I know there's some reports out there that there's six seven teams pursuing Taoscar Hernandez. That's not my understanding. If those many teams were pursuing Tai Oscar Hernandez. It would be a point where the Dodgers would have to make a decision. And what this tells me is that the market isn't as robust for Tioscar Hernandez. And also, Tioscar Hernandez wants to make a deal with the Dodgers. The Dodgers want to make a deal with Taoscar Hernandez. So let's get this going right. Everybody wants to celebrate ta Oscar coming back to La Everybody loved him even after just one season. I think everybody showed that at the parade, and those emotions were raw for Tioscar. He's such a humble guy. I'll never forget at the beginning of the parade, as we were waiting for the buses to leave Dodger Stadium early in the morning, and ta Oscar thought it was just going to be another day, you know, Yeah, there'll be some fans out there, we'll celebrate. He had no idea the passion for the Dodgers that this city has, and quite honestly, I don't believe he knew how much you appreciated what he did for the world champion Dodgers until we turned the corner and got down there in downtown and he saw the millions of fans that were chanting his name and giving him as much love as Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts. So I think we saw that on stage as well at Dodger Stadium as he was holding a Dodger flag and was he was definitely overwhelmed with emotions. And he has instructed his agent to try to find a way to make this happen, and hopefully the Dodgers in Taoskar can find some common ground here. I know a couple of weeks ago, Ken Rosenthal reported three years sixty million dollars. I feel like somewhere between three years sixty million and three years seventy seventy five million, with a signing bonus and deferrals can be had here. I feel like it's not out of the realm of possibility. All right, let's take one more phone call before we say goodnight. Chris in Southgate walk us off tonight on our second and last Hot Stove show of the week.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know all this construction that's happening at Dodger Stadium right now, There's this giant moat, like a big giant French line running along the right field foul line to the stands. Yeah, about fifty feet wide. I believe the Dodgers should keep it in place so that the next time the Yankees play, their fans won't we lessnoky betts.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's an interesting word to describe what happened. And look, I wouldn't say molested, but definitely assault was in play there. Chris, thanks for the phone call, and yeah, what's going on? And the reason why you see the photos you see of Dodger Stadium's construction since it was built in nineteen sixty two into the mountain of Chavez Ravine, there's no way to dig from the side of Dodger Stadium, so that's the reason why they have to go in from the field from the top down. And they're renovating the home clubhouse from the dugout area all the way down to the left field foul pole. They're getting ready to renovate the visiting side. So that's the reason it looks the way it is. They're not changing the dimensions or anything on the field. It's just about how they're able to go and dig down into the mountain, the rock of Chavez Ravine and it's led by should be a Hall of Famer, the great Janet Marie Smith. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. We will talk to you again next week, an exclusive Dodger Talk podcast show on the iHeartRadio app next Wednesday, and our live show at seven o'clock next Friday night. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help. Thanks to you for listening. If you want to follow me on Instagram, you can do so at Official Levass and on x at the Real Underscore DV. We will talk to you next week. Coming up next Fox Sports Radio see y