Speaker 1: This is Dan Caples and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Dane Caprick Show tonight. I'm Christy Burton Brown. Good to have you all with us.
Speaker 3: Anytime during the show, you can always call in and join the conversation eight five five or zero five eight two five five, or you can text Dan at five seven, seven three nine. Have a lot of news coming out today to talk about some very local Colorado news and then national ones as well, with the attacks in New Orleans and Las Vegas over the New Year's holiday. One of the most concerning pieces coming out of Las Vegas is that the cyber truck driver the attacker, was a Colorado resident and actually rented the cybertruck here in Colorado.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: Additionally, he was an active duty Green Beret officer that was reported today, formerly also in the National Guard the Army Reserves, and was on leave when he attempted to set off a bomb in the Tesla's cyber truck.
Speaker 2: He actually shot himself before he.
Speaker 3: Set off the bomb, and he was the only one I believe as of right now, that died from that attack. Lots of reports out on how the cyber truck itself protected the explosion from being as bad as it otherwise could have been. Even the glass doors on the hotel that he was parked directly in front of were not broken at all because the cyber truck is designed in such a way to contain the majority of the explosion and the rest of it went up so not into most people and not into the building.
Speaker 2: So that's the good part of that.
Speaker 3: But as the FBI has continued to investigate the Las Vegas attack and the New Orleans attack that I believe as of right now has killed at least fifteen people with thirty five injured, they.
Speaker 2: Do not believe the two are connected.
Speaker 3: Did and it's very clear that the New Orleans attack came from someone who identified himself with ISIS. Whether or not he was on mission from ISIS is still being investigated by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies. But he himself believed that he was doing this on behalf of ISIS, flew in ISIS flag as he plowed into the crowd in New Orleans. He also was actually, rather than being current military, he was former military, and there are people close to him say that he converted to Islam and became an isis supporter. I find this clip to be particularly interesting that I'll play for you. Jay Johnson, a former Homeland Security secretary, talked about what he would be concerned about with these terrorist attacks, specifically in New Orleans. With you.
Speaker 4: You obviously have a lot of experience with needing to safeguard major events.
Speaker 5: There's Eve on.
Speaker 4: Bourbon Street certainly one of them. And that's even before we talk about the couple football games that are coming up. What do you see yesterday that may had went wrong? Where do you see the investigation going from here?
Speaker 5: Well, if I were still in office, first and foremost, I'd be concerned about what appears to be the reality that there are terrorist accomplices still at large and one of them was willing to take his own life. That presents a real public safety security challenge in the New Orleans area. I won't second guess the situation with the Ballards.
Speaker 2: I'm going to stop him right there.
Speaker 3: When he was talking about the Ballards, He's talking about some of the barricades that New Orleans was still getting ready for I think the Sugar Bowl that was going to be played later that day, and they hadn't quite finished it, and so it was not overly difficult for the truck to drive down this street that I was supposed to be blocked off from traffic. And so that's what Jay Johnson, former Homeland Security Secretary, is saying. He's not going to question that part of what New Orleans was organizing, even though in New York, where he's from, a lot of those cities keep up permanent in barricades to block anyone from driving onto sidewalks and getting into streets that are supposed to have locked off for parades or other events. So you know, obviously that may be something that in the future, big cities they're going to have events like this need to consider in order to protect citizens who live there.
Speaker 2: But the interesting part I think of.
Speaker 3: What he was saying is that in his opinion, with all his experience in homeland security, he would consider whether or not there are still terrorist accomplices at large, with specifically New Orleans' attack due to different potential explosive devices I believe they found in other areas, and they're obviously i'd be able to question the guy who drove the truck down there because he also died and he did not take his own life like the guy did in Las Vegas and said he was shot when he attempted to shoot police officers and in several of them and then they were able to shoot him, so they won't be able.
Speaker 2: To question him.
Speaker 3: But the FBI needs to continue and do their investigation to find out if there are terrorist accomplices still at.
Speaker 2: Large in the New Orleans attack.
Speaker 3: But again the FBI is saying they don't believe there is a connection between Las Vegas and New Orleans, even though both were former or current military. I don't think there's been any details yet come out about whether the cyber truck driver was associated with ISIS or Islam or any terrorist organization, whereas that has definitely been proven in New Orleans. Here's another clip on the Las Vegas cyber attack driver, specifically since he is connected here to Colorado. A Colorado Springs resident and on active duty with the Green Beret.
Speaker 6: Hayley has confirmed in just the last few minutes that he is an active duty US Special Forces soldier assigned to tenth Special Forces Group. According to four US officials, that he holds the rank of Master serget, a senior enlisted rank.
Speaker 2: These officials said. Three officials said.
Speaker 6: He was on active duty serving in Germany and he was on leave when this happened on New Year's Day. He has not been identified publicly, and authorities are still trying to work out whether.
Speaker 2: This was a terrorist attack.
Speaker 6: Just to recap a little bit of what happened behind us just twenty four hours ago, approximately, There are still police presence here around the Valet area where you pull into the Trump International Hotel just off of the Vegas Strip.
Speaker 2: This cyber truck that he.
Speaker 6: Allegedly rented was rented from Colorado from the Truro rental platform. Authorities say that he drove it here to Las Vegas by seven thirty am on New Year's Day, that he drove up and down the strip, and then about an hour before the explosion drove past the Trump Hotel as well.
Speaker 2: And police did.
Speaker 6: Make note that the damage was really limited because of the bottom construction of this Tesla cyber truck.
Speaker 3: All right, so there's a clip on the cyber truck driver and the lack of damage that was really done to any human being and very many.
Speaker 2: Structures in that blast.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk and Tesla have been cooperating and in fact they actually helped investigators find the charging sites that the driver used so that he could be identified quickly, and one was in Monument here in Colorado. It's one of the places he charged the cyber truck before he continued on to Las Vegas. They say he rented the truck at seven thirty am that morning from Colorado and drove to Las Vegas, obviously with the plan to set off his bombs. I think he had a lot of fireworks and other explosives inside the truck. And again because the cyber truck is built so heavy duty and so in such a protective way, the blast was contained by the truck and also went up but not out, so didn't even break the glass on the hotel doors. I'm Christy Burton Brown on the Dan Kappl Show tonight. You can call in and add your thoughts to the conversation. Obviously, there's a lot of investigations still being done into the New Orleans and.
Speaker 2: Las Vegas attacks.
Speaker 3: You can call in eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan to five seven seven threey nine when we come back. In the next segment, we're going to talk about the latest Democrat here in Colorado to announce his run for governor, and in fact, he's the first to do so, but he's already pulling forth well behind the front runners in the Democrat field for the governor's race in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 7: All that and more on The Dan Kapla Show. And now back to The Dan Kaplis Show Podcast Day Caplis Show.
Speaker 2: I'm Kristy Briton Brown. Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 3: Tonight we are going to talk about the first Democrat to announce their officially announced they're running for governor here in Colorado in twenty twenty six. And if you're thinking it's much too early to start a governor's race, it's never too to run a political campaign, if you ask the politicians. But I think there's some reasons why this particular candidate is announcing so early. And it is indeed Attorney General Phil Wiser who today announced that he is actually running for governor. And I say actually running for governor because nine News Marshall Zellinger had actually asked him time and time again if he was running for governor, and in fact he wrote on Twitter that it is new ish in Marshall's size. I say new ish because it's been obvious. I asked him if he's running about a half dozen times. The most recent denial, on December sixteenth, was about his focus on Kroger Albertson's and rent collusion by landlords. Now, obviously, if you know anything about politics that I know a lot of Dan's listeners, do you know that politicians don't decide in two weeks that they're suddenly running for office. So despite his denials, which is also very common among politicians until they think it's time to announce, they know what they're doing well in advance, but like to keep people guessing. Now, what's also interesting is that there was a poll done recently, I think about a month ago in Colorado, polling which Democrat would likely win the nomination. Now, again, we're so early, this poll result isn't necessarily what's actually going to happen. But what I find interesting since phil Wiser announced today is the numbers available for him. So according to the poll, Jonah Goose, Congressman from Boulder Area, I believe yeah, Congressional District two, he was at twenty percent.
Speaker 2: Twenty percent would go with him.
Speaker 3: Jennat Griswold to everyone's not favorite secretary of State was in at sixteen percent.
Speaker 2: Ken Salazar from.
Speaker 3: A very long time ago, but still remembered by a lot of Democrats across the state. Eleven percent then came Phil Weiser at eight percent, which is the same number of those who selected other eight percent, and then thirty seven percent in the poll were undecided. The other interesting point in this poll is that Phil Weiser ranked first among those who people didn't know. People are like, I don't know who that guy is. People said that most often about Phil Wiser. So why is he announcing that he's running for governor right now, well in advance of when he needs to. I mean, you know, maybe he thinks he can clear the field. Maybe that's what he wants to do, but the reality is that he has the most work to do in order to get a nomination like this, because he has the lowest name id, people don't know who he is, and also last in the poll among Democrats. I'm going to play you a clip from Phil Wiser in just a minute. That's back from I believe twenty twenty two. At that time, I was chairman of the Colorado Republican Party and Phil Wiser was obviously running for reelection as Attorney General. John Kellner running for election on the Republican side, and so we obviously did a lot of deep dives into phil Wiser, into his comments, some scandals he's been a part of.
Speaker 2: But specifically how he deals with crime.
Speaker 3: This is one of the reasons I think he would be a terrible choice for governor in Colorado. He has not been heavy handed when it comes to crime at all. And you, according to US News and World Report, colle It is the third most dangerous state in the nation when it comes to crime. Well, back in twenty twenty two, we were number one in the nation for auto thefts. Now I think we're third or fourth for auto thefts. Not a big improvement. But here's what phil Weiser said about we should what we should do with auto thieves.
Speaker 8: After someone commits a third or fourth car theft in say three months, they should be kept in with a really high bond because you got a sense they're gonna get out, they're going to commit more crimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, if you listen to that. He said, after how many car thefts by the same person.
Speaker 3: Three or four at that point, according to phil Wiser, after three or four car thefts, then they should be held without a PR bond, which is a personal recognissance bond that means they can get arrested and get out immediately because they basically just say to the judge, oh, hey, I will make sure and come back, you know, for court, And that's a personal recognizance bond. Way too many criminals are getting out on those in Colorado's actually a.
Speaker 2: Huge problem right now.
Speaker 3: And I recently, in my capacity with Advanced Colorado met with some sheriffs in Colorado. We were actually talking about exactly this PR bonds and how common they are in Colorado and how many violent and repeat criminals are granted them by so many judges across the state and the law allows it, and the judges use their discretion to grant it.
Speaker 2: Well, what the sheriffs actually brought up was that auto theft.
Speaker 3: Is one of the things where PR bonds should not be granted because they are some of the most dangerous criminals in how they treat law enforcement. They are willing to just literally attempt to run them over, and they are actually quite violent, especially because they know that they get out on pr bonds, are arrested, get immediately back out on the streets, go out and steal another car the exact same day, and then they're often the ones who assault police officers who are trying to keep the community safe and get people's cars backs. My car was actually stolen that same year. I happened to have one of the common models of a car that year that was being stolen all the time. It was stolen out of parking lot right by Cherry Creek State Parking area you might think was safe, but the Greenwood Village police were actually extremely good in getting back my car that day. But they found it in a storage unit that's where the auto thieves had taken it, and they believed there was a ring that they had uncovered actually of auto thieves who were taking people's cars from outside of Aurora and then driving into Aurora, which is where this storage unit was storing the cars there, and then you know, doing whatever that if they were taking the catalytic converters or.
Speaker 2: Doing something else with the cars. But they were able to recover.
Speaker 3: Mine within a few hours, which was really really great for me. But auto theft in Colorado has just been exponentially high. And Phil Wiser, who wants to run for governor that same year in twenty twenty two, when we were a number one in the nation, said that we should go ahead and wait until auto thieves have stolen three or four cars. I notice he also said in three or four months. If they've done this in three or four months, then okay, we should make sure they have a high bond, high bail situation. What he's not realizing, in my view, this goes to demonstrating that he has no clue what's actually going on with crime in Colorado. It doesn't take out of thieves three months to steal cars three or four times. If you talk to the actual law enforcement on the ground, they are getting back out that same day and stealing another car and then going and doing it the next day, and doing it the next day. And there's these huge rings of auto thieves that absolutely should be in jail and get no pr.
Speaker 2: Bonds at all. So anyway, that's Phil Wiser for you.
Speaker 3: There's a whole lot more that we could talk about with him when it comes to fentanyl, and he does not have a hardline enough position on that to solve issues in Colorado, and a number of scandals he's been involved with as well. I don't think he's really going to do all that well in a Democrat primary. Would be curious if any of you have thoughts as well. You can call in eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan to five seven seven three nine give your thoughts on who you think the Democrat.
Speaker 2: Front runners will be in the governor's race.
Speaker 3: Because now that of course everyone knows Jared Polis can't run for reelection, it is going to be a free for all for every Democrat who thinks they should be the next governor of Colorado. And Phil Wiser has certainly kicked it off in the new year by saying he's in and he's not going to be the.
Speaker 2: Only one to do it.
Speaker 3: Now. There were a lot of people who thought that Jenna Griswold, Secretary of State, was going to be a front runner for the Democrats, and I still think she's definitely going to get in the race.
Speaker 2: I think that's been clear for a very long time.
Speaker 3: But she's damaged herself a lot over this last election cycle, in particular with how her office and herself personally dealt with that leak of passwords on.
Speaker 2: The voting equipment, the voting machines.
Speaker 3: If you listen to the calls that were made public with Jenni Griswold's office, her deputy secretary of State, and I believe she was on some of the calls too with the clerks. I mean, you even have Democrat county clerks really really mad that secretary of state didn't even bother to tell them that the passwords releaeked, and they found out when the media reported it and the call of Republican Party did it investigation released it. So Jenna I think, has a lot of problems of just incompetence that she's going to deal with, and any Democrat who wants to run for governor can do it. So she's no longer top of the field. Phil Wiser trying to get an edge on her by jumping in today. We'll see who's next. I think there's a lot of people who think Jonah Goose or Kensel's are if they jump in, will be front runners in this race. We'll find out soon enough. You're on the Dan Kaplas Show. I'm Christy Burton Brown, you can call in over the break eight five five four zero five eight.
Speaker 2: Two five five.
Speaker 7: You're listening to the Dan Kapliss Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Texter says, I'm so shocked not that Budweiser announced he's running for gov today. Will he still be able to attend the AG boondoggle in Hawaii like he previously did, which was paid for by corporations? Wiser was suing, Hey, that's a great reminder to everyone of the scandals that Phil Wiser was caught up in that were brought to light a little bit when he ran for Attorney General in twenty twenty two. I actually pulled up an article in the break about that in Hawaii, and CBS News Channel four actually did a really good story at the time about it, and they received video from the annual AG's conference which was hosted in Maui. But what was specifically interesting about it is the organizations that were paying for the Attorney Generals, including Phil Wiser's stay in Maui was not only paid for by taxpayers because a portion of the AG stay is paid for by taxpayers, but the main sponsors were corporations like Google, Facebook, Jewel, and Pfizer, all of which attorney generals were suing at the time. It was basically like, sue us, but while you're suing us, we're gonna host lavish celebrations and stays and vacations for you in Hawaii and tell me that didn't influence any attorney general. So this is what we're talking about when we say they're scandals with Phil Wiser in Hawaii and big sponsors, corporate donors also involved with people who he is suing as attorney general.
Speaker 2: I think another interesting points and.
Speaker 3: Is fentanyl and how he's handled the fentanyl crisis in Colorado. That's going to keep coming up, I think in the next election cycle. If you talk to any law enforcement official across the state, they will tell you that not only is fetanyl itself continues to be a rising danger in Colorado. The last reported numbers with that nearly two thousand people in twenty twenty three died from fentanyl overdoses. But every single drug, including marijuana, is being laced with fentanyl right now across the state. And so even people who are taking a legal substance like marijuana are absolutely at risk of actually getting fentanyl in that drug and potentially dying by the drug dealers, they don't care right now. They want to get people addicted to the substances they're selling, and they can get fentanyl in. It's pouring across our border, and so they are happy to lace every single drug, every single.
Speaker 2: Type of drug, with fentanyl.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really shocking to a lot of parents, probably whose kids are going to school, but something absolutely every parent needs to talk to their kids about. And everyone, even who takes marijuana, which might be legal, it is being laced with fentanyl and becoming very, very dangerous. At the time, though, when Phil Wiser ran for reelection to Attorney General, he was confronted with the fact that in twenty nineteen here in Colorado, possession of fentanyl was lowered to a misdemeanor if it was a gram or less.
Speaker 2: I believe it was lowered to a misdemeanor.
Speaker 3: Used to be a felony, but you know, Democrats and legislature like to be soft on crime, so they lowered it down to a misdemeanor. And he took no position at the time, didn't say anything. And the attorney general is not only supposed to be the state's top law enforcement official, but they could also use the bully pulpit to talk about big crime related issues, even if it's local das that typically prosecute these cases. The attorney general has the biggest bully pulpit, biggest soapbox. To stand up there and talk about a law like that and to oppose a terrible crime related idea like that by the legislature, well, he acknowledged and admitted that he hadn't said anything about the law, and hadn't opposed it or supported it. He just kind of did nothing. Definitely the kind of person you wants to be governor, someone who does nothing. But his excuse was that he was very focused on the Red Flag Bill at the time and passing the Red Flag Bill, and so he decided that giving the government more ability to look into gun owners was of higher importance than opposing lowering penalties for fentanyl, which since then has spread even wider across the state.
Speaker 2: So that is Phil Wiser for you.
Speaker 3: And that's the first Democrat to jump in the race for governor. Certainly not going to be the last, but here we are. If you have thoughts, you can text them in to Dan five seven seven three nine or call eight five five four zero five eight two five five. I'm Christy Burton Brown in for Dan Caplis today and speaking of fentanyl, we actually have an interview coming up at the top of the next hour five oh six that you should not miss. We're going to bring on Senator Byron Pelton. He is from the Eastern Plains, but he every year brings drug related bills to crack down on the drugs and the drug dealers in particular that are spreading across Colorado. He has a very interesting bill related to fentanyl that he's sponsoring and bringing this year. I believe he's starting at the Senate because he is elected to the Senate. So we'll talk to him at five oh six about the details of that bill, whether or not he currently has bipartisan support, and what he thinks the chances of that bill passing in the House are. I know, at Abans Colorado, where I'm the executive vice president, we're looking at a whole host of potential ballot measures to bring to the ballot in twenty twenty six. We brought two specific crime related ones this year. In twenty twenty four that both passed. The Truth and Sentencing Bill was the most popular citizen initiated ballot measure across the entire state got the highest percentage of any citizen initiated measure. And then Prop One thirty was the Law Enforcement funding bill that, without raising taxes, required the legislature to spend their general fund money three hundred and fifty million dollars of it for law enforcement across the state, and also to provide a one million dollar death benefit for any the family of any peace officer who dies in the line of duty. That includes firefighters as well. So those are the two we passed in twenty twenty four. People across Colorado want to fix our crime laws and want to protect the victims and communities, not the criminals. So we're looking at a whole host of potential ballot measures for twenty twenty six. We do have to wait until twenty six. A lot of people ask about that, like why aren't you bringing more ballot measures in twenty five. According to Colorado law, the only measures that can come in odd years on a statewide capacity are ones that take TABOR funds or deal with TABOR. So typically you'll see advance Colorado Conservatives opposing measures like prop CC Prop AGH that come in the odd years because they're usually grab by the government into your TAPOR refunds. In the even years, that's when we can bring the substantive ballot measures that deal with crime, deal with education, or can cut income taxes. Good ideas like that. Fentanyl definitely being one of the main issues we're looking at because it is such a terrible situation across the state that's getting worse and local law enforcement doesn't have all the tools they need to deal with it. So don't miss the interview at five h six with Senator Byron Pelton, who's going to explain what he's going to try and do to fix some of.
Speaker 2: The fentanyl crisis.
Speaker 3: What we know in Colorado is that with the legislature refuses to deal with things that the people are asking for. Thankfully, we can go right to the ballot and ask the people to pass the laws that the legislature refuses to pass. One another big example i'd like to bring up at PR bonds. We talked about this a little bit in the last segment, that violent and repeat criminals are getting out on personal recognizance bonds, meaning they just promised to the judge that they'll show up for their hearing and they get out free law enforcement across the state saying this is a very dangerous situation with auto thieves and violent criminals that repeat criminals, they go back out and often do way worse things. But there was a bill to fix this, to ban pr bonds for violent and repeat criminals, run just last year in the legislature and it almost passed committee in the House. Is sponsored by Gabe Evans, who's now a congressman from CD eight, so not in the state House anymore, but he sponsored the bill and got Democrats to supporter. There was bipartisan support, but they were still one vote short on the Democrat side of the aisle of getting this through committee. We have another new state representative, Jarvis Caldwell from Colorado Springs, who is going to bring that bill again this year because it's very very clear these are the kind of things people want to see passed. If they don't pass them, these are the kind of measures that can go to the ballot. The truth and Sentencing measure that advanced Colorado passed in twenty twenty four actually was killed in care committee for two years in a row on a straight party line vote, and yet when the voters were asked. It was the most popular citizen initiated ballot across the state, and one in every single county across Colorado except I believe for Boulder. So apparently Boulder wants to keep all the criminals, but the rest of us don't.
Speaker 2: I'm Christy Britton Brown. You're on the Dankpla Show.
Speaker 3: You can call in over the break eight five five four zero five eight two five five. When we come back, we're going to talk about breaking news out of Jefferson County School District where the very high up official was arrested for possession of child porn and committed suicide.
Speaker 2: Today we'll talk about that in more on The dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 7: And now back to the dan Kapla Show podcast.
Speaker 3: A terrorist attack in New Orleans and Phil Wiser deciding that he's going to run for governor, as comes to a shock to no one here in Colorado, but he wanted to get ahead of the field because polling showed that he's only at eight percent, and which is forth I believe, fourth, behind Jonah Goose, Jennat Griswold, and even Ken Salzar, which of course he was very popular in his time. It's just been a very long time and a lot of Colorados aren't necessarily familiar with him. But he's still beating out Phil Wiser, the current attorney general. So I think phil Wiser decided he needed to up his name might because he's number one in low name d The same poll showed that he was the person that the most people didn't recognize when they heard his name, so he has a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: I think that's why he's jumped into the race now.
Speaker 3: I really don't think he's going to be the Democrat nominee, and I'll be very happy about that because he's soft on crime, not good for Colorado's current needs as a state.
Speaker 2: One thing that we definitely need to.
Speaker 3: Cover though, in the last bit of this hour, is some news coming out of Jeffco Public schools today. Lindsay Datko, which runs a p she runs a parents group in Jeffco, wanted to join the show today, wasn't able to do so I think she will at a future date. She's very, very familiar with firsthand information in the Jeffco Public schools, but she did point people to a statement today from the Jeffco Sheriff's office. I don't know how many of you been following the story because it kind of happened over the holidays. But the chief of schools in Jefferson County here in Colorado was let go, and the Jefferson County Public Schools haven't provided a lot of information to parents, which a lot of parents have found concerning. I mean, I've seen parents even posting saying, Hey, I was gonna put my kids in this school districts I think they just moved there, and they're like, I don't know what's going on with officials at this school and children. I'm not even sure it's safe to enroll my children here. And so today though, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department put out a statement.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read it for you.
Speaker 3: It says, on January first, twenty twenty five, the Maryland, Washington County Sheriff's Office informed the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office that they were conducting a death investigation of David Weiss and David Weie is the chief of schools from jeff County. Statement continues, Weese was in Maryland with family for the holidays. Information regarding Wesa's death will come from the Washington County Sheriff's Office in Maryland that Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation of Weese involving the possession of child sexual assault material. That investigation will continue until it is completed. There will be no further information released. And now I believe that was the first time there was an official confirmation that the reason David Weese was removed from Jefferson County public schools and under investigation was because of possession of child porn And I think the use of how that Jefferson County Sheriff's Department worded that the possession of child sexual assault material. Experts in the area say that that is actually what child pornography should be called. It is child sexual assault material. It is used to assault children, and any child used in the production of child pornography has been assaulted, and we should be honest with our terms and call it for what it is. I'm actually very pleased to see that Jefferson County Sheriff's Office using the language that's appropriate language and what everyone should be adopting. What is hugely concerting to parents and called Republic Radio actually put out a really solid article on this today is that as Jefferson County Public Schools has not been revealing enough information to parents. And I understand sometimes when there's a criminal investigation going on, there's a limited amount of information you're allowed to provide.
Speaker 2: That can be true.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, but we also know that a lot of school districts are flat out not transparent with parents and aren't honest about what is going on so.
Speaker 2: That parents can make a fully informed.
Speaker 3: Decision about whether the school they are sending their child to is safe for them or not. If you are running a school, I don't care if it's private, I don't care if it's charter, I don't care if it's your neighborhood public school. Your number one priority should be the safety of children under your care, Not the jobs of teachers or officials, not the reputation of the school district, not you know how much information you can hide so that more people send their kids to the school. Number one concern should be the safety of children in the schools. If you read the CPR article, and I'd encourage you to read it if you're interested in this story, they published it this morning, but they have confirmed also with the Jefferson County Sheriff's office that David Weez died in the middle of this investigation. He committed suicide, is what the report is saying. I don't think CPR is saying that he committed suicide, but a number of other people involved in the situation are saying that's what happened, and no one is claiming that it's a murder investigation. It's a death investigation, which means he committed suicide.
Speaker 2: He was fired less than.
Speaker 3: A month ago, and only now our parents having confirmation that it's because he was in possession of child sexual assault material. And this article interviewed a number of parents who have children in the Jeffco Public schools, and you can just when you read it, you just see how concerned parents are with what all is going on behind the scenes in Jefferson County, the school district. They already were in the news not too long ago for the hotel room situation on a field trip where a male was allowed to sleep with a female in the same hotel room and parents weren't notified or told that was going to happen. And the CPR article says that the allegations against David Weiss were the fifth such case in Jeffco Public schools in twenty twenty four alone. And I'm looking at the article while I'm telling you this, so you can go to the source yourself. But they're saying, first of all, a year ago, in January twenty twenty four, someone, a paraprofessional or classroom aid at a high school was taken into custody for several charges, including sexual assault on a child by a person of trust and multiple other charges.
Speaker 2: The second arrest happened in.
Speaker 3: February, where two boys under the age of fifteen said a family liaison at the middle school called them into his office to perform what he called medical exams, and the police arrested him for sexual assault on a child by a person of trust. Then another individual who worked in after school care programs was arrested in May of twenty twenty four for sexual assault on a child in jeff coo schools, and then in November, a social worker in the district was arrested after a kid's parent found inappropriate messages from the social worker on the child's phone. She was also arrested with a charge of sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust and a child was a student was a teenager at the time. The parents found these messages but told police the relationship began when he was only eleven years old. After all of those incidences, and another one that's not an accusation of sexual assault on a child, but of another very troubling incidents, there's a lawsuit in Jefferson County by parents who say that the district claimed their child was homeless and reported their child as homeless when the child absolutely was not and lived at home with the parents along with several siblings who also went.
Speaker 2: To this school.
Speaker 3: So we see a lot of extremely troubling scenarios coming out of specifically Jefferson County Public schools. And now it's revealed that the chief of Schools, David Weis, is being uh well, he was being investigated for a possession of child sexual assault material. Super troubling scenarios coming out of Jefferson Public schools. You have thoughts, you can call in eight five five four zero five eight two five five or tech Dan to five seven seven three nine.
Speaker 2: I'm Christy Burton Brown. You're on the Dan Kapla Show. Stay with us.
Speaker 3: We'll have Senator Byron Pelton in our next segment, talking about fentanyl in his solution to solving the drug crisis in cala