Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZY Coustin's new radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Dan Walkins. We are going to talk about cell phones in schools here in Massachusetts. It has been a subject that we've talked about before. I think most of you have a thought or an opinion on it. But at this point, there have been some communities that have taken some pretty serious actions, I guess, including brockdon Fall, River, Mathune and Ipswich have implemented their own cell phone bands. However, the come all of the Massachusetts has not acted up until this point. However, there is a movement afoot in joining us is one of the members of the Massachusetts State State Senator Julian Seyr, who represents Cape Cod and the Islands. Senator Seyr, Welcome to Nightside, How are you night Good?
Speaker 3: Good to be with you again.
Speaker 2: Then this is one of those issues that you would think the legislature could come to agreement on fairly easily. Really not a Democratic or Republican issue. Why has it taken so long? I know that there have been some bills filed for this session, and you are I think the Senate sponsor of at least one of these bills. Why why have we not acted sooner than this? I read some statistics over the weekend that suggest that that our high school students are not doing as well in the last couple of years as they did before the pandemic. And we can attribute obviously a lot of that to the pandemic. But has cell phone usage and the ability of kids to have cell phones on them, in their hens, in their pocket at school. Do you think he impacted this as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, look, I'm someone who you know, grew up with you know, came of age of adulthood with cell phones, with social media. But I'm really glad right that I went through middle school and when went through high school before the advent of social media and before the advent of smartphone. You know, especially in college when when when Facebook came out? And you know, the junior when when when when the iPhone was invented and first came out? And really, you know, I really believe that my education and my social development were all the better for not having a smartphone on me at all times when I was in middle and in high school. The distraction factor, the bullying factor, the anxiety factor, and and so so like you said, I think we're trying to get some you know, quick traction on this. This is actually the first time, you know, I filed the deslation on this in partnership with Attorney General Campbell and Promisent of Pice in the House. And so, George, why I think move quickly here?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, really, I think schools are grappling with this. You know, about seventy percent of teachers report cell phones being a problem in their classrooms, especially in middle and high school.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And the more we just learn about the effects of this technology, Uh, there's pretty significant mental health concerns. So I think we're hoping to take take action. And that's why, you know, I filed the bill for the first time. Uh, you know, this session which just got underway.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you if, for example, let's take a typical piece of legislation out there. Let's say that there's some some legislation dealing with taxes. Well, you know that there's going to be some some senators and representatives who are going to be opposed, some are going to be supportive of it. You're going to have corporations come in, You're going to have you know, various lobbying groups come in and what on just about any piece of legislation that is up there. Very really do we get a piece of legislation that you might think of as a no brainer. I thought for a long time the whole question of revenge pornography was a no brainer, and it took more than a couple of sessions to get something done on that. Who would be opposed at this point other than some high school kids and middle school kids would say, I don't want to give up my cell phone. Why would this not almost get on a fast track in both houses and onto.
Speaker 3: Well, what we're hoping to get again on a fast rek. It's a good question. I think we do expect opposition, certainly from social media companies. Right this bill. This bill does two things. It has a basically a bell to bell policy, right that really says, look, when you're in school, no cell phone use, giving students the opportunity to engage with our education unfettered by digital distraction. And then the second piece of the bill is putting important standards for social media companies so that we're holding these corporations accountable for the safety and the mental health of the young people who are using those products. I expect we'll see opposition from those social media companies. We may see opposition as well from from from cell phone companies and others. You know, but I really think in this instance, right, let.
Speaker 2: Me ask you this Enator, you know more about this than I do. Why not bifurcate those those aspects. I agree with you that that there might be some pushback whenever liability issues are presented, and the folks at Meta and Instagram would say, hey, it's not our responsibility when some kid uses the cell phone for the wrong purposes, But why not just take take the chunk of it that I think everyone will agree upon, and that is that if you're going to school, you have a cell phone pouch that you put your cell phone in and your locker and you'll lock it up and you don't see it, oh until it's time to go home. And I know some of the argument is, well, what happens if there's some sort of a collect catastrophe at the school in this day and age, you know, a school shooter. Well, I would think that probably at that point most parents would hope that their child would be kept safe. And that you know that that to me, it isn't a serious objection, to be honest with you, because if my child is in a school where there's a shooter around, the last thing I want them to do is be dialing the telephone and calling me and saying I'm okay, because that could give away their location. If the shooter just happened to be walking by, why not just bikeificate that and keep it simple and just say, hey, you go to school, go to public school in Massachusetts, you turn either don't bring the phone to school, or when you come in through the school you got to put it in a pouch and and secure it for the rest of the school day. Or am I being Pollyannish when I.
Speaker 3: Asked that question, Well, I mean I think we have, you know, twin challenges going on, right. It's it's not just the device, right, and the technology, but what the content and and and the interactions that are on that device. And the more we know about how social media adversely affects mental health. I mean everyone's mental health, right, but but particularly for young people. I really believe these these social media platforms, which who look are making a heck of a lot of money off of all of us, especially young people, that they have to, you know, have common sense standards like age IC verification systems to protect minors, default privacy settings so that you know we're minimizing harmful engagement for young people, mechanisms to flag and wanted content. Right, that's really a common sense and it's also a no brainer. So you know, look, I'm really proud to have partnered with the Attorney General and represented Pish and others, you know, to put forward this common sensilitization. We're going to work to refine it and and you know, move it as quickly as we can. But even just the attention we've gotten on this bill, I think speaks to the public's desire and the real need for us to take action here. Eight other states have passed Bell de Bell policies that include, you know, these sort of restrictions and these stafeguards, and I think it's really time that Massachusetts joined.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with you, and I wish you all the best on this. My only concern is having covered the legislature as a TV reporter a long time ago and followed the legislature as a talk show host and understand how it works up there. That I think if the cell phone companies go up and argue about liability issues, that a lot of the members of the legislature might be able to be persuaded to slow something down. But just to save this group of high school students, freshman and sophomore, juniors and seniors and middle school students, I'd just let to see the bell developing passed immediately and then take on the tougher issues. If they want to fight you with the tougher issues, we'll get whatever support you know you need on those. But I just I'm afraid that and I think you probably know what I'm saying that that we'll we'll be talking about this sometime in late July, or rather late June with the legislative the formal session going out, and then we go into informal session beginning on August first, which anyone legislator can object. So that's my concern is that that the perfect will be the will be the enemy.
Speaker 3: Of the of the good on you know, yeah, I think on Beacon Hill, right, there's there's there's sort of two routes often right one is additional one where just it takes a long long time to get something done. But then there's the other instance right where we move all these swiftly on something in part and response to health risk and give an issue. You know, look, if we've seen anything over the last you know, week or two, we can't count on social media corporations to be looking out for health and safety and the well being of a young people's that's clear to me now more than ever. I think the bell to bell policy as well as really common sense and so just hoping that this one's going to be in that sort of swifter category. Heck, if we get this done by Junior July this year, that'll be a record time. But I know you're talking about the second year of the session in twenty twenty six, but you know, really really eager to work on it. I think the track record of getting things don Alice Pie is a very respective member in the House, and to have the support of the Attorney General here, I think is hopefully a recipe for swift action on an issue that we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, best of luck with it, Thank you one. This is one that I think everyone should agree on. But do me a favor if you are able to make significant progress on the whole ball of wax and dealing with it as one piece of legislation that covers everything the bell to bell as well as the issues of liability and all of that. Let me know about it and we'll support you on that. But at the same time, I hope we're not talking about this six months or a year from now and it's still has in terms of the bell the bell, because I think I think that it's very clear that that that distraction in school. Hey, when you and I were in high school, there are enough distractions anyway, we didn't need cell phones to even further complicate matters. So yeah, keep us posted on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it, and uh all right, we'll tire swist as we can. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. State Senator Julian Syrah, Democrat who represents Cape Cod and the Islands. Now, what I'd like to hear I would like to hear from all of you on this, uh it particularly if you're somebody who has either students or grand children in school. Uh if you are remember of a member of the teacher, a teacher in high schools or or junior high schools, and I suspect that it's also at this point bleeding down or leaking down into elementary schools. What is the benefit at all of a student who's in high school or in junior high school or in elementary school. You get twelve grades, you get preschool obviously in kindergarten, but it gets a little serious after the first and second grade, so he get about ten years between, you know, by time they get out of the second grade and you've got to graduate. Okay, And there's no justification in my opinion for anyone opposing this bill. What the Senator said was that when it gets into the other portions of the legislation dealing with liability issues, yeah, the lawyers and the lobbyists are going to come in and say, hey, wait a second, it's a telephone. I mean, it's the same as the telephone that people used in the nineteen thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties. That there can be abuses. So jump on board on this one because I think this is one where we need to talk about it a little bit, because it is a no brainer. But as soon as the Senator talked about any of the complexities, get on the books, what we can get on the books, we are you know, the state where Horace Man founded public education. Well, there's a lot of public education that's not going on because the distractions of cell phone six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. This is one of those issues that I do not believe is a Democrat, Republican, conservative, liberal or any everyone should be in favor of this. Bring a cell phone. You want to have a cell phone on the school bus, want to have a cell phone, walk into school, whatever, Fine, when you get to school, it's got to be stowed, and it's got to be turned off, and you don't have access until you go to your locker at the end of the day to leave the school. Simple as that. And it doesn't get turned on until you're off the school property, and it doesn't get it doesn't get it's turned off as soon as you walk onto the school property. I think it's simple call me and agree or disagree six one seven, two four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. And those of you that have classroom experience, obviously students, you were more than welcome to call in and tell me either your positive stories about cell phones or your negative stories. Again, nothing wrong with cell phones, just like there's nothing wrong with automobiles, nothing wrong with a lot of things except how they're used when they're used. Back on Night's Side after.
Speaker 1: This, Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So there was a story in The Globe which prompted this conversation, this issue tonight, this topic. We've talked about it before. And there was a need and mom who held a photograph of her daughter who was only eighteen years old and who had died buried at a cemetery in Newton. And the mom believes that her daughter, who died, according to the Globe, from an accidental overdose of drugs that have been laced with fentanyl, she acquired through a deal as she met through social media. Now that's a broader issue, okay, And it goes to the issue of just the accessibility that young people have through their cell phones. But I think that genie is out of the bottle and I don't think that there's any way that it can be put back in. The cell phones are out there, computers are out there. Kids can reach and get access to things that people your age and my age would never ever know how to find. And our heart goes out to the woman who was profiled in the Globe in the last couple of days and the loss of her daughter, and the just the expression on her face tells, it tells the heartbreak that she must that she has to have here for the daughter, who is who's who's lost her life at the age of eighteen. But that's that's the larger focus. And in talking to state senators here, the larger focus was what do you do to legislatively impact these cell phones in terms of their liability, and which as understandable, okay, but and but that's going to complicate things in my opinion on Beacon Hill. And you've often heard the phrase never let the perfect the enemy of the good. And they should simply pass a piece of legislation that would say, hey, in Massachusetts public schools. I don't know that they have the ability to legislate in terms of private schools. Let's just focus on public schools, whether it's elementary, middle which I think everybody knows is sort of sixth, seventh, eighth or seventh eighth, ninth, and high schools that when your child or your grandchild walks onto that school property. At seven thirty in the morning, the cell phone goes off, and certainly when they walk in the door, the cell phone is put in some sort of a safe location. They can put in their locker as long as they don't access their locker later on during the day or access to cell phone. They can go back and forth to their locker, but the cell phone has to be in a safe place. The safest place is not to bring it to school. Okay, but there are several school departments, public schools, districts Rocked and Fall River, Methunea, and Ipswich have implemented their own cell phone bands. There are eight states around the country California, Big State, Florida, Big State, Indiana, Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, South Carolina, and Virginia. Some of those states are fairly democratic, some of those states are pretty Republican. Some of those states are pretty balanced. The bottom line is, I don't think there should be any disagreement amongst anyone that the I can't think of a legitimate argument. I can think of a couple of the arguments, and if you want to bring them up and argue them, that's fine. But I think there should be a groundswell of support of people urging the legislature here in Massachusetts to as Senator Seir referred to it as to being any access, never mind usage, just access to the cell phone bell de bell meaning from the moment in the morning when the bell rings until the moment of the afternoon when the bell rings. It's as simple as that. Now, maybe this is not a subject that interests you, but if it does, I want to hear from you. And if you have an experience as a teacher, if you find yourself trying to teach a class and you realize that some of the students are using their phone to either text message or to listen to other conversations, there are ways in which the kids today are much more intelligent and knowledgeable about how all of this technology works. They are being short changed. They have one chance at an education. Maybe the education will take them on through high school, into college and onto graduate school. Fine, but for many kids, the end of formal education comes many students at graduation at the age of eighteen. And I think that immeasurable harm is being done to the education of students in Massachusetts. We are, as they mentioned before, the state of Horace Man where public education was founded, and we should be able to take a very quick strong step legislatively House Senate Governor saying no cell phone usage in school Bell de Belle, that's what Senator Seir referred to it as. And and don't even complicate the other issues. Deal with the other issues later, same separate bill. Simple as that six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Can any of you tell me an advantage? I just think that this is one of those where everyone agrees, but you're not courageous enough to pick off the phone and call. And if you disagree with me on this one and think that, oh yeah, won't my kid have a cell phone? Fine, let me know why. I don't understand it. Don't understand the argument. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about what I think of as a no brainer. But sometimes what I think of as a no brainer, people have pretty good arguments. Let's see what people have to say. Going to start it off with Steve and Cambridge. Steve to me, this is a no brainer. I mean, why should kids have cell phones in school? During the day when they're supposed to be learning.
Speaker 4: Dan, What I object to is the power that we give the state government to control our lives in so many ways. Sure enough, you know, taxes on cigarettes, seat belts, so many things. I mean, I'm not saying they're all bad or they're not good ideas, but I mean we are, as American citizens, are supposed to be individual and be able to make our decisions for ourselves, particularly adults. So I you know, Dan, I walk through the streets of Boston and Cambridge, and I get on the subways. It seems like everyone is mesmerized by cell phones, not just kids mesmerized all the time. What I would rather see is, evidently you said that there are school districts that have implemented strict cell phone rules.
Speaker 2: I think the Globe is reporting, and they have no reason to believe that it's inaccurate. But the Globe is reporting. There are about four different school systems around the state have done that. The ones in question interesting group Brockton, which is a school system that's in you know, real urban school system, Fall River, Mathrowing, and Ipswich, which are kind of more I don't know, they're None of those are what you call your wealthiest of towns, but every kid has a cell phone these days. My question is, Stave, here's my question to you. We're talking about you and I are taxed in large part to educate young people. I mean, that's one of the responsibilities that we have. We may not like it, but that's that's one of the places that my tax dollars go that I accept and understand. And if some kids in a classroom are trying to learn and others are goofing around talking on the cell phone, being distracting those kids, I would rather say to kids, hey, look, let let's split it up. Let's have classrooms where cell phones are used and kids where cell phones aren't used. It seems to me it has an adverse impact. It's one thing if I'm sitting if I'm sitting on an MBTA car, If I'm sitting on an MBT car and some knucklehead is next to me screaming or talking wildly into a cell phone, I can deal with that. I may say something and say, hey, can you kind of keep your conversation down or whatever. But if you're a kid in school and you're trying to concentrate and there's some goofball in the classroom? Who's talking? You know, sooac to his girlfriend in the back? Hey, where you want to go Friday night? Debbie? What would you like to go?
Speaker 4: Dan? Dan? I? You know, I one hundred percent agree with you. I think this should be up to the school districts and the principles. Why does it have to come from the state. Everything has to come to the state, you know, let's limit the number.
Speaker 2: Can I make an argument? Can I make an argument to you? My argument to you, counselor would be The reason I think this has to come from the state is that I don't don't trust all the school superintendents to do the right thing. And I think that if the school superintendents they all get you know, money, money from the state to run their school systems. It's not as if each school system is run basically upon just the money. They all get money for school systems. And I just think that take give the give the the superintendent who doesn't have a backbone and excuse to say, oh, I don't have a choice. If it was up to me, I'd let the kids do what they want. But but I have to I have to compose this because this is what the state says.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Dan, I think I think we're just ceding too much power to the state. And I think the principles the you know, parents are involved in the schools, uh to some extent, PTA associations, you know, parents, teachers associations. I think. I mean, I agree with you, it's a no brainer. I don't think the kids should have bones in the schools at all. I just don't want to see it going to the state.
Speaker 2: We disagree on the implementation. I get it. I understand the point you're making. It's a philosophical point. But I want to make sure it gets done, and I want to make sure it gets done for every kid who's serious about going to school. Look, if you're a goofball, you want to sit in the back of the room and and pass notes to your buddies and and and ignore what the teachers are saying. I can't prevent you from doing that. You know, have ad it, and you know, and deal with the consequences when when you're twenty five and unemployed or twenty two in on them and you're.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dan, Dan, I'll give you a pass on this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Later, good night, Steve, and I generally are right on point with each other. They're going to go next to Alice in Beverly. Hey Alice, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Oh good, I've been a school nurse for a number of years.
Speaker 6: Oh thank you for calling it.
Speaker 5: I think it is a no brainer. And also some of the things that you talked about, like I think some kids, the kids would come into my nurse's office. I worked in public schools, in private schools, and kids would ask if they could use the telephones call their parents for something in particular, you know, and as opposed to using their cell phone when I was in public school, and that some of the things that they pulled that they said, something happened at home and I need to get dismissed, and they would make up these stories. I mean, some kids don't like school, they don't want to be there, and they would do anything they can to get out of it. In no days, Like just the other day, my friend said that her daughter was seemed to be coming down with something, and of course I disagreed with her because she said she wanted to let her come home and take a nap because she was playing hockey for the school hockey team. But what she did, but she did. She didn't have to call. She wasn't calling her daughter on her cell phone. She called the principal. Now the principal could have said, no, I'm not dismissing her, so she can play hockey. But you go through the principle and the same thing. It's like just like, I mean, I'm older than you. But you know, we got by with doing that. And that guy that said to me, the state's got too much power. Well, the state has rules and say we have to go to school one hundred and eighty days. Why don't we just throw all the rules out and just say do whatever you want. But there's the state can't say anything. You want an educated population, Why the heck do you need to be talking on a cell phone? And when she's doing a podcast, the whole class is doing.
Speaker 2: You know, I agree with you. I mean you and I are on the same page. The other thing, too, is I've heard some parents say, well, if there's ever some sort of a tragedy in the school, you know, like a school shooting, I want to know my child is safe. The last thing you want your child to do if there's a school shooting going on, and you want that kid to concentrate on hunkering down, making sure that they're behind some desks and they have some shelter, and they keep us quietly.
Speaker 5: What the people are telling them to do, because the grills and you just want some hysterical mother saying, oh, get out of there, and get out of there, and then the teachers saying, everybody, I've got a list here for all the kids. You know, they don't say shut up, but it's like, quiet, get in line, do what I tell you. I know what to do to keep you safe.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing, the other thing, too, is the kid in the cell phone is going to you know, every the school is quiet, there's there's some guy walking around with a gun, and you know he's going to be dialing the cell phone. I'm okay, I'm okay, Yeah, don't worry about it. Everything's fine. Well, if the guy walking by the door he is and realizes the people in that room, he may decide to go in the room. And and that's you do not want your kid calling on a cell phone. You know, you want your kid to be quiet, as you said, follow the rules that the teachers or the school officials you know, supply, and it hunkered down and be as quiet as you can under the show.
Speaker 5: I also say dan because I had some parents who thought I was like too strict. They didn't want the kids to have immunizations. It's a straight rule, you know. And they thought that I was the principal actually thought I was picking on them because I was asking them to have the immunizations before they came into the school. I mean, he ended up leaving and taking a lucrative job with the Force.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's amazing, And I don't open it this can of worms. But I agree with you. My kids got all the ammunizations. I get all the immunizations. I got my COVID shot, I get my flu shot. I believe I wasn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't need to get off on that.
Speaker 2: But I just no, no, no, but what But what I'm saying is at the same time, what we're now saying is all these kids who have come across the border, we have no idea what their immunization records are. We have no idea, and and we're moving them into the into the.
Speaker 5: Don't come to school at the public school if you don't agree.
Speaker 2: No, but no, but no, Alice, you're not here on what I'm saying. What I'm saying is we're we're saying to the to the to the parents of of of kids, school school kids who they know, get your shots, get your shots. But they're bringing in kids from halfway around the world. You have no idea what the immunizations that had or they haven't had, and they're mixing with the population and you have you are seeing some some some some diseases that we thought we were eradicated coming back. There may be a relation. Alice got to run because I pass my break. Thanks for getting us going here, and I appreciate you your work as a school nurse. Thank you so much. Okay, all right, we'll take a break, coming right back on Nightside, and I would mention to you that we're going to change topics at the top of the hour, So Angelo and Stella, you're all set. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go to Stellar, then we're gonna go to Angelo. Let's go to Stella First Stellar in Manchester, Massachusetts. Hey, Stella, welcome, How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: I am well thank you, Dan, So Dan, I agree, no brainer, ring to ring, no cell.
Speaker 2: Phone, Yeah, bell, the bell, ring, the ring, whatever you want to call it. I'm with you. I'm afraid and I don't know if if you heard my interview with State Senator Julian Seer. What my concern is that they will try to put a bill together that will be so complicated that it will it will languish up. Let's just do the first one, bell to bell, no cell phone usage. Then you start talking about the liability of the cell phones because of the cell phone companies, because they're going to bring in their lawyers and they're going to say, hey, there's a problem with this, there's a problem with that. That's what I think. I'm afraid that they will end up the legislature will end up with nothing.
Speaker 7: Ah well, first of all, call me Nai, but I think if we go to this, it will be not only helpful in the classroom, but just think about it. They can talk to each other on their free time, during their free time, their lunchtime. They're not going to have those cell phones to keep them occupied, and that could make a little bit of a change for our young people.
Speaker 2: And I think no, and I think it would be a change for the better. It's what's called human interaction. It's learning how to socialize properly. Look, we all go. I use a cell phone. I have a smartphone because it's part of my job. When I'm done professionally as a broadcaster, the cell phone, I'll keep the numbers of people who are friends of mine and all of that, but everything else will go away, because it's just it's a time killer. And I kind of imagine being a student and trying to study in the classroom where there's two or three people in the back of the classroom talking to you under their front, under their breath, with covering up their phones, and so the teacher doesn't see them. You know, Hey, what are we going to do Friday night? You know, come on, That's what I think.
Speaker 6: Well, not all of that. The temptation you have it and then you want to look at it. That's I mean, it just makes sense. So as much as I don't want government dictating what we do, in this case, I definitely think no cell phone and sell. Okay, you have another caller and the break coming out.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks very much, you keep calling the show. Okay you good night. Angelo and Newton. Angela, you're gonna wrap the hour for us. I'm suspecting you agree with me, Angela, what do you say?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 8: Did you ever have a phone when you went to school? Did I have have a hope, have a phone I went to school, No, we even.
Speaker 2: I don't think we even had pencils and paper when I went to school, Noly Knning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, did you ever take a calculator or a computer to school?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: You never had. You have to today? Then? Well today, the.
Speaker 2: Kids I still know. I still do my multiplication tables. I know eleven times eleven is one hundred and twenty one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, Let me what is eleven? Let me make sure I got to write that down now, just for the fun of it. Eleven times eleven, Yeah it is one twenty one? Right, Okay, I was good on that.
Speaker 8: Okay. The the how do you expect the kids to learn? If they have a phone, they go to school to learn, and if there's another kid sitting there beside them, he's trying to learn something and the other kids on the phone, how did you expect them to learn anything?
Speaker 2: I agree with I think it's distracting and and I'm with you. But what my fear is, and I raised it to Senator Seer, is that they'll try to do you know, they love to refruit to these We're going to do an omnibus bill here, which is going to cover everything, every possibility. You know, the the companies, they're not going to fight you on whether or not kids have cell phones in school. They won't fight you on that because that doesn't it doesn't they don't make any money on that. But if all of a sudden, you're throwing in liability issues and my kid committed suicide and maybe he was on the cell phone too much during the day or he was being harassed, Now at that point you've got the lawyers coming in. The lawyer's going to be saying whoa, whoa, whoa Wait a sec they say. That's why I suggested to the Senator from the Cape and the Islands, split the bill. Take the Take the simple part that everyone agrees upon no kids should have cell phones in school between when school starts and when school ends. Bell the bell and get that passa. Then go after them on liability issues separately.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when they if they want to bring your phone to school, either keep in your locker room and keep it locked up, or either bring it to school and leave it in the principal's office. At the end of it, then they'll give it back to you.
Speaker 2: But don't age they're going to. What they'll have to do is say to these kids, you got to leave it in the locker and you can't touch it because you know what happen is if everybody gets in the principal's office at three o'clock in the afternoon, you get a couple of hundred kids try to find the right phones. Kids would be walking around, where's my phone? No, that would be a headache for the principle anywhere. All right, Agelo, thank you. I knew you'd be with me on this one. Thank you, my friend.
Speaker 8: You welcome there. You have a good reading. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, all right, we get back. We're going to talk about a showdown between a couple of presidents, the president of Columbia and the President of the United States. Gotta tell you, Donald Trump won this one.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you're not hip to what happened over the weekend, the President of Columbia flexed his muscles and then he then he caved. Uh. So this is one you got to give Donald Trump credit on We'll be back, We'll open up the phone lines, we'll talk about the Columbia president who he caved, you know, and I'm glad he did trust me on that, back on Night's side, after this