Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to I don't know it's after nine. It's Tress told you it's like a little combo here, right I am. I'm tressed now. That's what I am. That's who I am. It's who I've always been. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. It is a Sunday afternoon. It is what is at the time this recording. It's Sunday, February twenty third. What this is a couple of years ago I used to do the Oscar predictions, but then last year I was like, I want to if anybody wants to join, extended to the patrons, and luckily they did. See you think they know a couple of people joining this year. But even if it's just myself, will go. But if not, this is what it's gonna be. It's gonna be an Oscar predictions. If people want to join, the link is down below. You just join Patroon and our face too tier and you can call in we're gonna be doing an oscar pool. You could also to if you want, you can join our discord, which is the link is not down below, it's on other podcasts. Look at the there. If not, search geek first hit me up after and you can drop them there before the show starts. As far as the Oscar Show, we're doing an Oscar pool, so it's gonna be like our NFL draft where all of us are gonna pick you know best, every category winners. Whoever wins the next after nine will have everyone watching a movie in between then and talk about it there, And yeah, it's gonna be a good time. And I like doing this because yeah, it's fun doing predictions of alone. I guess think it was a fun enough cast, but I had a much more time, better time with other people. And the GV people, you know, kurriculum saw September five, didn't go see brutalists like you said about how much you want to see, but that's not really their thing. I used That's what it used to be, right, I used to do Liam people, the old school people will remember that. GIV originals will remember Liam Grogan. He's a big Oscar guy. And then he left and then I don't know why I stopped having him on, just because like we do it all virtually now, but I think he was just hard. He's a teacher now, so very hard schedule, and then I did a couple of years, but then I did this. What I'm gonna do is I'm gonna hit the lake right now. So we're at two minutes into the cast. I'm gonna give everybody about thirteen minutes to trickle in and then we're gonna talk about everything from Best Picture to Best Actress to the Best Anime, Best Foreign Film, everything. So I guess I should pull those up to OSCAR nominations. But yeah, it's good and we're gonna talk a little bit because obviously a lot of the films came out, or I would have talked about them when I was here, but I was not right. I was off with the Twins and everything, so there's a lot of stuff that I've not talked about. And yeah, Oscar season, it's a it's a different season this year for me. I'm not a too exciting one. It has its ebbs and flows rights because I feel like there's some year it's very much like the MCU or for wrestling fans, the aaw you know what is it? Oh we're gone, We're back. Oh we're gone, We're back. Because I feel like we go in waves where there's a couple of years and like, all these winners are great, this is fantastic. The Oscars completely get it. And then you go, Okay, I don't agree with any of these choices and these winners feels like a very safe year, and that's just what it is. Obviously. None of these movies, none of the winners dictate what you like or what should be your favorite not your favorite. It's just kind of fun. That's where you need to take it. As I think, definitely the Oscars the past couple of years has like gone down a little bit as far as like the importance level because just of certain choices, whether it's within the show or the nominations. But they're still fun to talk about. And that's what we're gonna do today here. So I'm bringing in first April with very shiny bright cadders. How's it go in April?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Good? So far, it's been a relatively good weekend. How wout you do anything exciting for the weekend or anything? I know, you saw the monkey? I saw that.
Speaker 2: I did. I saw the Monkey on Thursday and I liked that a lot. It was fun and I had to do farm chores this speking because my parents are out of town, which is less fun.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, chores. Yeah, I had a few of them, but not to the not to the amount of what what does that partake? Like do you do you have a list of like eight is a do you do the same thing every single time? Does it change up a little different? Like what what does that partake?
Speaker 2: So it depends on what time of year it is, because they have different animals in the different kind of years. So right now it's pretty much just chickens and rabbits and the cows don't eat anything major, just watered so and then like in the spring here shortly we'll have sheep and goats and they've got pigs, so it's just making sure everything's got food and water.
Speaker 1: Where do they go for the winter? Do you guys have a designated spot you drop them all the time? Or I know nothing about farming zero zero? So that's I'm like, where are they? Where do these bigger animals go during the cold season?
Speaker 2: So uh, at the end of fall, the goats and sheep go to the sale and so and then we get new ones in the spring.
Speaker 1: Okay, jeez, what a life. Yeah, that's that's crazy, so okay, and then I also saw you did you watch Living Dine in La just because Clay put it in there? Had one you heard before? What was the okay? And you enjoyed that? So it was a four out of five? Did you enjoy that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did? It was good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cool. I haven't watched that in a while, so probably Clay kind of reminded me that movie exists, so I'm excited to hear it. But a nurse print is saying, wiki, do you how do you feel about the Oscars this year? Because yeah, you we're on the cast last year? How do you feel overall? Because I feel like my top ten is a lot different I imagine yours is very different when I look at some of your lists as far as you know, if your Oscars, they'd be quite different. But in the scale of what they usually nominate? Are you pretty happy with? Like the overall list? There's a kind of a magin where are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a may yere I think, Yeah, I think last year was much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And have you seen every single Best Picture nominee?
Speaker 2: I have not seen. I'm still here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that's good. I just hear it's very heavy, So that's what I want to try and get it this week for me. I've said this to you and other patrons discoords before. The subtle movies are always the hardest because I'm like you where I work at home, so I could have stuff on while I'm working, But it's also like I am working, so I can't watch a subtitle movie while i'm and i'd try not to do dubs or anything like that or have like the descriptive audio if it's something that important. So I want to, but also it's the same thing the double of like it's subtitles, and I hear it's just a very heavy because it's a true story. And I know a friend of mine shout out to Wonder make she washed and reviewed it, and she had a bunch of people from that country message her and like we're very like like to review a lot, but talk about it being a true story and almost a true story of being like worse and whatever happens in the movie. And I know nothing about it. I just know I think it's like a it's a tragic or sad story and the real story is like worse. It's like that's like a sometimes that's tough to get in the mindset of like, Okay, I'm gonna watch this very especially I would say, I think it's about like family and like maybe there's some kids involved. I think when it's like Horse, that's like, of course, like Barbarian is a sad story. If you know, you're the person that showed up and you're renting this place. But it's like it's just two young people, it's fine. But once you get into like the real life stuff that has to do with family, that's like, oh, I do I want to put myself through this on a Monday. You know too, But okay, that's the only one you still haven't seen, Okay, so yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: It's not available anywhere and it didn't come to the people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, that's the same thing. Like also, I missed a complete Unknown, but at least everything other than I'm still here is either on streaming or VODNA. But I think a complete Unknown doesn't come out until it's either right before the oscars or after. So I can't even have an opinion on it because I missed my chance to see it, and I don't really understand the method of putting it I get they want to wait, but like if the Oscars is next week, to not put it out so close. I just feel like, you know, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess it was a hit, so they just feel whoever saw it saw it. But uh, got the two munch Ral boys we're bringing here, Mike and Maddie. How's it go on, gentlemen, guys, Hey guys, doing good yourselves? Good? Good? Good so far.
Speaker 3: Nice to see you guys. How's going? Happy Sunday, Happy Sunday?
Speaker 1: Yeah you morning?
Speaker 3: This morning was rough, but I'm doing better now.
Speaker 1: Oh right, you watched the full Brutalist this morning?
Speaker 3: I did not for that.
Speaker 4: I told you what I wrote in the chat was genuine like I had like a deja vum into the this morning because those very last Sunday where like I woke up and we had the cast in the afternoon and I knew had to.
Speaker 3: Watch the holiday special.
Speaker 4: So it was a bit of a scary flash of deja vu that I got.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you also get to did you like the brew list more on the holiday Special?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 4: It's definitely, uh, definitely quite the contrast, but yeah it was good man, I watched it pretty much like all the way through, Like I didn't really take any breaks. And in terms of which half I like more, I'm not sure to be honest, but I'm pretty in line. I saw some of your scores, I'm pretty much the same, and I'm around like a four on five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And in terms of rewatchability, I don't know, you know how often I had to return to it. It's not one of those for me, but it was. It was well made for sure, and some good performances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever be watched that. No, in the sense of like it's not like we're i'mily where it's so disturbing, Like there's some bad parts in it, but nothing that I'm like, Okay, I've not seen this before. And yeah, I just that time of my year overall the Oscars. Obviously, Mike, you got Wicked, so you got that, and I do got the substance. But it's tough with like the substance. I had already liked that before, so I'm always looking for like what's that Oscar movie? My examples the Holdovers last year that was nominated. It's like, I don't really know if I care about the Holdovers, and then I watched like, oh I love this im So then that's I'm like, oh, I'm so happy the Oscars exist because I watched this movie I wouldn't have and now I love it. But like all the movies that got nominated that enjoy like Done and Wicked, or there's a Friditian slurry there Dune in Substance like I already have loved those petures. Yeah, I'll probably try to watch it this week because Oscars are coming up.
Speaker 3: I'll go much have you seen of it?
Speaker 4: Because I know you've mentioned in the chat here and that you've seen bits like like what have.
Speaker 1: The first twenty to twenty five? Because and then I fell asleep, so it gets a little murky of win. And then I will go for Defying Gravity, which you know, great set piece, but I woke up and she's in the air. I'm like, oh my god. It reminded me of the Mass of Steel. But I I, like I said, I it's a well made movie. Thing that and once I maybe once I watched the full thing, I'll be on the band way and I'm that I think it's in the similar vein is like last year because I think some of the same complaints Wicked. It's getting the same complaints Barbie Gone, like oh, well it's not on Oscar movie. It's just that's like well, no, like I think like enough people like it did very well the box office. It's well made like Wicked, Like there's a couple acting categories. But even like I agree with Mike with like Conclave, like to me, I wouldn't. I can't take out Ariana Grande because I haven't seen the full movie. But I was really disappointed by Isabelle Roselene. Not that she was bad, but I'm talking about the scene. And I saw a scene and like it's a it's a good scene, but it's like very short, like it was short that I thought it was like a like a like a huge like a ten minute like dial like something like that, like something.
Speaker 5: Good in media dialogue, a good Devenian monologue or something. But she's mostly just like talking to them about like she hasn't but.
Speaker 3: It's two minutes. It's like two minutes long, like she has I don't even you haven't you haven't seen.
Speaker 1: Conk No, I saw it.
Speaker 5: I just don't remember her par It's.
Speaker 4: Like when she talks to them and like the know in the cafeteria has this scene like talking to everyone and.
Speaker 3: It's like two minutes long. It's very good, but it's not like.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I thought that was not the scene. I'm like, well, that has to be a bigger scene than that. Again, not a bad scene, but there has to be a bigger scene, and there was, Like I just thought there was gonna be something there. So that's why with like.
Speaker 5: See like a career nomination, I feel like it's did a lot of that this year with the Oscars. You never know if it's okay, this is for that particular movie. Are they rewarding this for past stuff? Is it more of a career accomplishment award? Is the narrative pushing this person like look with Demi Moore although Denmimore deserves it more than Rossellini, but has a lot of factors playing into things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's all And that's why it's it's interesting. It's so funny they always talk about, like I do think there's more diverse nominations, but they always talk about like, well, you know, five years ago, it's a whole different voting body, but it still kind of feels relatively the same, Like we have those where it feels okay, there's a career oscar and they hit like the same sort of thing, Like I don't think like the Academy Award nominations the past ten years have felt like from now until like two thousand and what are we end fifteen, I'll pull us up by you don't feel like there's a vast difference, Like, man, the the Academy is so much different, like all these wild movies, like well.
Speaker 5: I think you saw it with everything ever all at once. I don't think that movie wins yes years ago.
Speaker 1: That that's that's fair. And I think Parasites a little bit like that. But to me, it's like one of us, we're okay. Parasite gets in wins, everything ever all once gets in wins. But it's like the overall nominations are still pretty much the same. It's not like a bunch of everything everall once is okay and they go twenty five for.
Speaker 4: You guys, like when you watch The Substance, did you imagine that getting these nums? Because I didn't like that's why I like so definitely not so that's a huge win for me, Like even though I'm similar to you guys, like I heard you mentioned before, like you're not as high on it this year as last year. Like for me, yeah, I feel similar, like I was excited going into it, but now that I've seen the nums and I'm kind of reflecting on it, like the hype definitely isn't the same as what I had last year, but I.
Speaker 5: Think is lower for a lot of them. But there's still a good number of the last year, everyone was picking on My because it was like the only one of the nominations that was like not a good movie, and now you've got like I haven't seen Nickel Boys or I'm still here, but I hear are pretty good, but like not like like amazing. And of course there's me a Perez, which is a completely different story, but there's still some you know, there's some good stuff there. And I feel like with Dune, I mean, Dune still has a lot of nominations. It just didn't get the director nomination everyone wanted, and I personally feel like the announcement of Messiah played a lot into that, but he still got Best Picture, So that's something.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started on Dune and awards and stuff like that. I'm still mad at kirkla or Dylanan Taylor was right in the podcast right there and stuff. But twenty fifteen the Best Picture nominees were Whiplash, The Theory of Everything, Selma, Imitation Game, Grandbood, Best Hotel, Boyhood, American Sniper, and then the winner was Birdman. So and to me, like, I agree, I think might be a good point that maybe there is some more one off still again there that wouldn't but like that feels like the list this year feels pretty much like that Birdman. You can make the cases that like weird, while one is like Oscar Baby sometimes but it's a pretty out there movie, like you got Michael keenan a bird costume flying around right like it's not And that again, I will always say that year Eddie Redmy winning over Keene was a crime that to me is I've not forgiven the Academy for that. They should have knighted Keaton when they had the chance, and now you know we can't.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that moment too much.
Speaker 4: There was a little like blur of a couple of years where I kind of I guess, I guess I just missed the Oscars.
Speaker 6: But the drinking drinking was bad.
Speaker 1: But in my tense, there's like a viral clip that went around that point where he like had a speech in his hand and then when Eddie Redmy won, he like put it back in his pocket. So and it was like a very split. It was a split, but I felt like going into everyone felt like like it's gonna be Keaton's you know, and like I redmain but like I just think there everything, and I don't think it was bad either. It's it's it's that thing that happens that when someone wins that you don't agree with. Now you're like, oh, like you just in your mind you are like bad performance, So this you put in the bad court category. But it's not like same thing like Jared Letta, Like I thought he was great in Dallas Bier's Club, but I don't think he held a candle with Michael Fastbenner and Twelve Years of Slave. Michael Fassbenner was terrible and scary in that movie. Jared Letton was like he was really good. But then it's like sometimes the political plays and role right, and that was a very important movie, Dallas Biers Clubs. It's like, okay, I get that point, but absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's also kind of like Leo O DiCaprio. Everyone was begging for him to get his Oscar finally and the movie he got it. For the Revenant, it's it's a good performance, but when you compare to like some of his others, it's like, yeah, obviously you gave it to him there because he was the best of the bunch and you want to underline his career for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah win what because I'm just trying to see And sometimes they also do that. I feel like when it's like a week or year when there's like not many like you know what, just get And that's when it was twenty sixteen, right, yeah, the Revenant. It wasn't for Best Picture too? Oh no act Okay, so what yeah, like to me, this, yeah did win for Best direct like like the actors like it's like any Redman a Danish girl, but they weren't gonna give it to him. Again, I don't think Michael Fastbenner and and Steve Jobs, which I liked, but I don't think it's like, man, that's fast Beener's best role. Matt Dane and The Martian and Brian Krantz and Trumpo and then Leo won, So it is really like to me, that feels like there's not many people Leo's here. It's a good enough performance, like, let's give it to him the same. That's another year that I was not a fan of Mark Rylance. He went over Sloane Stallone. Yeah, and even then I would have give it to Tom Hardy before I gave it to Stallone. So no, yeah, right yeah, British Spies. Yeah, yeah, this is another year I hated winner for Best Picture Spotlight. Again, good movie, but to me, that just feels like a Netflix dock that was made to a movie Like, it just feels like to me, it was not anything. Yeah, I'll do that before we get into this. Let's see Room, rev Knit, the Martian, Mad Max, through Road, Brooklyn Bridges, Bias, Bridge Short and Spotlight. I would have never thought they'd give it a mad Max.
Speaker 5: Damn good a series of nominations right there. Holy it is.
Speaker 1: But I would have give it to Revnet, I would give it to Big Short. I would have give it to mad Max, would give it to the Martian. I could even make a case for yet Brooklyn, I have not seen a long times. I need to watch I feel like whenever I saw it, I was sick, and I don't have a good memory of it. But like even that, I have four movies i'd put over for Spotlight. So but you know, that's what happens just the year, all right, let me get.
Speaker 5: I always remember Spotlight because that was the first time I went to a critics screening of a movie. Back when he for a website. I saw that I saw John Wick Chapter two, and I had no idea that I was sitting down watching the picture nomination.
Speaker 3: What did they have you go to?
Speaker 5: There were something like like like smaller theaters downtown where they were doing the screenings and stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna Oh, I.
Speaker 4: Want to ask you've seen most of the movies? Which ones are you missing from the Best Picture?
Speaker 2: The only one I haven't seen for Best Picture is I'm still here, ticked. Yeah, I've watched a couple of times since I came out.
Speaker 4: I'm still I heard you guys mentioned too, it's what what's the words you use before, Travis, It's it's like it's depressing or it's it's dark, Like what's it about?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, it's supposed to be kind of a kind of a no, I can't remember the word now that he asked me, but yeah, it is supposed to be I think, yeah, it's a true story. Yeah, I think it's it's very much a true story. But then yeah, the true story is like worse and it's just like bad stuff that happens in that country. It's just like certain laws and everything. So yeah, I think it's it's a it's a tough watch. That's why if you do watch it, prepare yourself so.
Speaker 3: You know what it's about. People.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, okay, and then yeah for best picture, I've watched everything, but like four Emilia pres I might try this week.
Speaker 2: We'll see you can.
Speaker 1: That's that's why it's like, at least were the other movies that's hey, I have no interest, but it's like this is really good. Nickel Boys saw Nickel Boys, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it's in first person perspective and it just really bugged me. But the movie itself is fine, but I didn't like the gimmick.
Speaker 1: Wow that is I did not know that at all, because all the I just always see the poster of those two kids looking up. That's all I've seen this movie I've never seen.
Speaker 5: The trailer tells you nothing about it either.
Speaker 1: Okay, well there you go. Yeah, so I haven't seen pres that and then honestly wicked fully and then a complete unknow because like I said, it's just not out to watch it this week.
Speaker 5: I'm watching this this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, Then if I can watch it before, I definitely will watch it before because I love main Gold and I love Dylan, and I want to just see it for myself because I feel like I've talked to both people where people say, oh, shanmy does a great job, and then for another people like it just feels the kind of oppression to me, and the trailer it felt like it was not like Dylan to me. But you know, I got to see the whole movie, so I have I'm gonna ask everybody. So I'm gonna do down the nominees. Let me ask everybody, like last year, there they're what they wish would win. But then i'll get your official prediction. I'll write it down, and then anybody else that could make it, like Clay et cetera. I'll get there in the discord and then we'll go from there. So the best visual effects here we got Alien, Romless, Better Man, Kingdom of the Plan Apes, Wicked, and Dune Part two April to start with you, what's your want? And then what's your prediction?
Speaker 2: My heart really says Romulus, even though they had that really bad one, really bad CDGA. But I think it's going to be Dune.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So yeah, April's Dune Manny, where are you?
Speaker 4: My prediction? My official pick is going to be doing as well. In terms of want, I'm not sure to be honest, is some good I mean I haven't seen Better Man, but you know, based on the trailers, the the effects look good, so some good choices there. Honestly I'm a bit torn as to where, but I mean I'm happy if Dune wins.
Speaker 3: I'm totally happy with that too. So right with doing on this one?
Speaker 1: Okay, right with Dune, Mike.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of good monkey CGI going on there. I was actually shocked that Alien was nominated for this one. I was hoping you would get nominated for sound because I think that like it deserves that, like in the bag, but for special effects. Honestly, probably want and think will win is Doune cause it does look damn good. It's solid stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so these are gonna be some categories where there's absolutely no swing boats because yeah, I'm gonna go doune as well, like I because I want It's like, I think there's great things to everything, but there's just so many great visuals in Doom where it's like, okay, I can't it's just just scale landscape lots of just like wide shots that just look great. Where we live in an age where there's tons of backgrounds and areas where it's okay, something looks a little bit off.
Speaker 5: But I will say I'm not sure if if if the Gapes never got this Oscar, I'll give it to that. But the reason I'm hesitant because I feel like, you know, you're the fourth in the franchise. At some point it looks good, but it's not as much of a step up from the other three that I would like. Put that over overdue.
Speaker 4: M it's also odd because they didn't better man like I didn't. They use like a similar technology for the monkey that the Apes movies.
Speaker 1: You think, so I thought, that's sad.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that you have voted them in the running. I mean, they both look awesome, so it's it's definitely worthy. I just find it interesting.
Speaker 5: What I heard about that movie is that the guy that that does the motion capture for the I'm not true this Robbie Williams I think his name is, He actually narrates the movie, but the guy does the voice of him, like because he's supposed to be the monkey. The guy who does his voice is the guy who does the motion capture for it.
Speaker 1: So Robbie Williams does it, so he narrates the movie, but he's not playing the ape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that that's why I heard. And but the songs happened, it's the songs, the recorded songs.
Speaker 1: Lot going on with that movie. I will watch it at some point, just I know not Yeah, Like I've seen some clips that just look wild and like I'm not trying to be the meme where it is like, yeah, I don't know who Rob Williams is, Like I don't, but like that's not a reason I need to watch. That's not a reason I just didn't go to the theaters for it. But uh yeah, I'll check it out. So and now we got sounds, so that's a calmo. Now, remember they put sound editing and mixing together so there's no split, so it's like all the nominations, it's like Complete Unknown, and then it's like six people, but it's a Complete Unknown. Dune Part two, Amelia Perez, Wicked and Wild Robot. I can see why Wicked and a million there. I just don't have I've not seen Complete Unknown. So other than just in playing the music, is there like really great sound in that those like in a Complete Unknown or is it just the songs sounds tough like I just feel like with Dune, I like would done Wicked, like their fantasy sci fi worlds. I can feel that, But like Complete Unknown, I don't know. I haven't seen that, but I'm just gonna say Dune here. I think they're I think Dune's gonna get a lot of these technical ones so then you know they make them feel good about it. But I guess we could always pull it wile. But I'm just gonna say Dune for just some certain moments for me, But I'm not surprised if it loses here. So, Mike, what about you?
Speaker 5: Very cool? You have an animated movie in best sound. I feel like you almost ever see that. That being said, I don't think it's gonna win, so yeah, want and will again Dune. I feel like those these two categories are the one that it has the highest chance of getting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, Mannie, what about you?
Speaker 3: Sound's tough, man. I'm actually the beating between.
Speaker 4: I mean again, I haven't seen a Milia Perez, so that's not really fair. Same thing with completely Une. I'm the beating between Dune and Wicked. But I always think back to when I saw Dune two an imax, so I was like, I think it's literally the loudest thing I've ever seen in a theater when I don't know what those things are called, when those big machines are just ripping through the sand. Yeah, it's the first time where I genuinely told myself like, I think, I feel like this is a bit too loud, Like usually I like the loudness in the theater, but maybe I'm just getting old. But for that reason alone, I think I have to have to go do two.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about you, April? Yeah? Another four way Okay, So we'll see if anybody else in the discord chooses somebody else other than doing some of these categories and they win. Could be a good swing boat here, but we got next production design the Brutalist, Conclave, Doom Part two, Nos Frau Tou, and Wicked. I really enjoyed Conclave. We'll get to that with the best picture. I don't know if like.
Speaker 3: This one's a tough one, man. I'm struggling with.
Speaker 1: This one too. I just feel like there's nothing else this year that came out that had better production design than Conclave. Like, I don't know, I just feel like those other four are very specific and very like brutalists, like Dune. I know someone might say about the brutalist, but to me that felt like, okay, I could see it there and some of these set designs, but Conclave it's like, I don't know, they're just going off like the Vatican, Like, I don't know. That one for me is not as strong. But yeah, April Surthy, what is it? Do you have a wanton here and then you have your official prediction?
Speaker 2: So I really wish that I thought not to Rotchet was going to win this, but I think it'll probably be Wicked.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Wicked.
Speaker 3: What about you, Maddie, This one's brutal, man.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I could like you're saying that about Conclave, but I feel like like the Academy might be cheesy in that way too, of just seeing that as a plus, like oh, they recreated like the Vatican.
Speaker 3: This and that, you know, so yeah, yeah, it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: That's what Leamy used to always say. He'd say, like they'd always for a costume, you'd have like lower the rings, you'd have like planets all this stuff. But then it'd be like the Victorian Age, like nice stresses. It would always like, yeah, that's the one that gets it, you know exactly.
Speaker 4: Honestly, my wants would probably be nus fraught to yeah, we're probably or maybe doing, but I'm gonna have to go with I think Wicked's gonna take this one as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mike, what about.
Speaker 5: You, I'll give you another tie because nos Rot is a close second for me. But when you look at what they did to put Wicked to screen, having the actual train there, all the the live flowers they brought in to adorn the sets, and just the translation of what was on stage to what's in the movie. When you see the actual like Broadway show, like a lot of the sets are kind of like more Bear and they really had to take that and expand upon it, so I think that's gonna gonna lock it in for it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Wicked, Okay, ummm, yeah, it's boring, but I think the same as you guys, Like I could make a case for Doom, but like nos Rat too, I absolutely loved and there's just some imagery that just stands up big time. But I think Wicked, especially with this stage play aspect. And then like I said, bringing life, like I thinelk, it kind of be a shock if it were to lose here. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think this is kind of one they should have.
Speaker 4: And then it's gonna take some awards home for yeah, like it might not take the acting ones, but it's gotta it's gotta take a couple of home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, okay, So so far we have no difference predictions whatsoever. It's gonna see.
Speaker 3: Somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so we don't know what.
Speaker 3: Was on fire last year.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Anty did win last year, she went Yeah, I can't remember what the polling was, but yeah, she did win by last year, so we'll see what she goes. I think, so I think she did only miss one, so hopefully this year it's as the worst year ever, misses them all, but international feature Film, I'm still here from Brazil, like The Girl with the Needle from Denmark, Melia Prez France, Uh, the Sea of the Sacred fig Germany, and Flow from Latvia. I guess I'll start because I'm just going back and forth him down. Uh. This is tough because it's so all that stuff with the Melia Prez happened, right, and it's just a question of like how much and the Oscar votes were after and it's like how much does it impact it? But yeah, yeah it was after all the controversy stuff, so like and I but that the problem is I've still seen Amelia Perez win, like I think, like at the PGA's it's still won for Best like International Film, and like the the voting bodies are like That's why I's bummed out tonight because tonight it's the SAG Awards and that happens before this because I want to see who the actors voted for for some of these categories. But so that's what I'll say. Yeah, if you're listening to recording wise, we've not seen the SAG, but there's been the PGA, the DJA and the WGA and those like the voting bodies. So I think I'm just gonna give to Amelia Perez here. Maybe there is I think there's a chance I'm still here could always sneak it in and maybe something well, you know what, I'm just gonna give it over here. But I just feel like it'll still they got it got thirteen nominations for a reason, right, And I think some of the some of the controversy will hurt it, but I think there's still just gonna go with it here. So my official predict is Amelia Press. I can't give a one because I've unfortunately not seen these even flow. I want to get to try and see this week for because I that's like the front runner for mat It just seems to win everything. So I do want to check it out before the actual awards. But Mike, what about you, Okay.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have a difference here because I think the controversy is going to affect it. I think I love those past past award ceremonies, the voting stop before the controversy happened. I think it's gonna have an effect. I mean, plt's just just because I mean, I haven't seen I'm still here, but it's gotta be better. So I'm going with I'm still here.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be better, all right, Okay, Maddy, what about you?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: Oh you're muted? Thank you guys there.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna ride with my Montreal boy on this one and do I'm still here as well?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: About our Amelia provided swings, if they give it some some stuff or not, I.
Speaker 5: Think it's gonna get some stuff, just not this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, bro, what about you.
Speaker 2: I'm refusing to vote for familiar prez pretty things, so I'm also go ahead, but I'm still here. Although I really liked The Girl with the Needle, I wish it was doing better, but I think.
Speaker 5: Okay, what's that about the girl with the needle?
Speaker 2: It's about woman new murdered a bunch of children.
Speaker 1: Be a smart it's not a good time. It's gonna make a smart out common about oh the girl the needle. But yeah, I guess there's there's more of that. But well, there you go. That unfortunate you guys have put me in the position of wanting Amelia Prez to win. Here be a big switating vote for me, but uh, you know, you could be right. It could be and then I do wonder. We'll talk about some acting later. But documentary short this is always a fun one because lots of these we get to just kind of go in the dark and take a guess at But uh, it's death by numbers, I am ready, incident instruments of a beating heart, and the only girl in the orchestra April. You've seen any of these?
Speaker 2: I have seen the only girl in the orchestra?
Speaker 1: Okay, So is that where you're going or are you going somewhere else?
Speaker 2: That's where I'm going.
Speaker 1: Only girl, Okay, Maddie, what do you want to throw your pick on? Here?
Speaker 3: My god, I'm gonna go with give me incident, mark me down.
Speaker 1: For incident incident Okay, perfect, Mike.
Speaker 5: I'm also gonna go with the only girl in the orchestra.
Speaker 1: Only girl the orchestra. Okay, I'm gonna go with Uh, I am ready warden, That's where I'm gonna go to. Okay, how was that?
Speaker 2: It was really sad? Do you know what it's about? No, So it's following the guy on the who's on death row right before up to when he's executed.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, maybe jesuise, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Murdered? The guy just murdered one guy?
Speaker 1: There you go? Okay, document I guess I was because I was gonna ask, like, how do you make that into a shore? But yeah, I guess if it's the day of there you go. So uh, documentary, feature film, you got Black Fox Diaries, No Other Land, Porcelain War soundtracked De Cupita and then Sugarcane. So I guess I'm I guess I'm up here. Let me look at these posters. That's how I sometimes go off on the on what I'm thinking here.
Speaker 5: If this is extra choice. You got one documentary that's about Ukraine and one documentary that's about a Palestine in there, so I think I.
Speaker 1: Thought one was. I thought we had to not saying you can't have more, but I thought there was a Ukraine one last year, but there was that was okay, yeah, okay, which one is that.
Speaker 5: This year?
Speaker 1: We know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, no other land is the Palestine one?
Speaker 1: It's okay, h War that one? Okay, I'm gonna go with no other Land. I'm going to go that direction because maybe, like I said, because one has one before again that's just no bearing. It's probably going to be based actually on how good the films are. But I'm going to go with that route there, So Mike, where are you going?
Speaker 5: Honestly, it's a fifty to fifty shop between those two and named so I'm just gonna go with no other land because also it's kind of like a controversy around it because apparently they had a hard time finding Yeah, there is no US distributor for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh okay, gee a good thing though, like well, like what's what's well? The Academy would get screeners so they would see in and if they want to write it's a question if they wanted to see it. But if they want to see it, they would have got the screeners. We wouldn't have. But I'm sure it's somewhere on a on the back of a truck site somewhere.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I couldn't find it anyway.
Speaker 1: Really, Maddie, what about you?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm gonna follow the train here and do.
Speaker 1: No other lines. Okay, So April, are you gonna follow as well? Are you gonna take a swing and maybe go for a big one?
Speaker 2: Now, I'm gonna go for a Porcelain war.
Speaker 1: Oh she did it, so there you go. So if that's good, So okay, so let's see next up we got or music original song al mel from Amelia Perez, the Journey from the sixth Triple Eight, Like a Bird from Sing Sing Me Camino from Melia Prez, and Never too Late from Elin John Never too Late? All right, April, do you have a want here? Okay?
Speaker 2: Again, I refuse to vote for Amelia Prez, so I'm gonna go with Elton John Steber Too Late, which is also my one. It was a good document.
Speaker 1: Never too Late, Okay. I think that's on Disney Plus here, because I think they did like they did the Dog, they did like a concert, and they did something else on Disney Plus Here. They did like a bunch of John stuff. I did that. I had no idea what it was anymore. But madd every year is.
Speaker 5: His last concert?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? I saw him on tour when it was his last concert, like before I had kids, and then it was still his life and that was at least seven eight years ago, so and maybe this is the last one. But Maddie, do you gotta want? If not, what's your prediction?
Speaker 3: No want? I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do like a bird, sing, sing.
Speaker 1: Like a bird. Okay, what about you, Mike?
Speaker 5: This has gotta be the worst collection of nominees for this category in oscar I've not seen all of the all the past ones, but it's gotta be like, how has kissed this guy from the Wild Robot not in there? Was it like not eligible for some weird reason or hell, even I'm not the biggest fan of the Challenger score put that that Compress Repress song in there. It's better than what you got here. Yeah, And I mean yeah, this is one of.
Speaker 1: Those years that make you almost like wonder if the Academy is like, do we need this category? Because they they didn't. They're not doing any the performances this year, so they even.
Speaker 5: Know a reason for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's that. I think some of it was the Melia Press stuff as well too, but still I think there's like they know people aren't really into stuff this year. So I worry for the category's future because I feel like the original song is getting less and less, Like I feel like back in the nineties could be a huge selection. Now I feel like things just get nominated because like, well we don't even have that much, So it's just like, yeah, put that in there, like Amelia Press got too, so it's like there's no other song out there would have got the fifth lot.
Speaker 4: But before you answer, I'm curious to you, you and as well as Epra, what are your thoughts on both Amelia Press songs?
Speaker 3: They're bad, but both of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would even say these two are not even the best ones in the movie. And that's like a very very low bar of quality comparison. Like one of them is just like literally it's a they sing in karaoke like Slina gomezings in karaoke. The other one is there's a lot of wish for singing. It's it's just stun good. Yeah, eighty percent of the songs are whisper singing, and those that aren't don't make any sense for the plot.
Speaker 1: It's just completely whisper singing. That's good. That's like the how people describe the rock sing in the Mono movies. It's like talking singing.
Speaker 5: It's worse than the rock in the morning. Yeah, at least the rock brings energy to it. And we'll get to this a bit later. There's always Seldania at the very least is trying her best with the song she got, because I think she's a genuinely good singer, but she only gets like one song where she gets to do like a like a high note. If nothing else. The movie made me want to see her in an actual musical. But as far as my choice, it praysed to.
Speaker 1: Oh put me down for Elmo oh.
Speaker 3: As is that one of the Amelia Press songs? Yeah, what's the rationale behind that? I'm curious.
Speaker 5: It won all the other awards, and it's the.
Speaker 1: Best of the two that are there, So yeah, like I get, I'll probably go that direction too. Again. I'm just hoping this is not gonna screw me when I picked these Melia Press votes because because my I guess my hope is that the Academy, and my hope is a filmmaker and film fan, I hope it's not this. But my hope as an Oscar predictor, is that they are just semi hypocritically like whatever we're not because you always make the case right of the art from the artists and all this stuff right. But even then people tell me, like everyone I've not talked to a single person that I know personal I'm not telling kids that I know personally, whether other podcasters, you guys, any friends like that, think this is a good worthy addition. So that's what's so strange. But we've seen that many years with the Oscars. There's a movie or two, it's like, no, it doesn't matter, we're putting it in there for X, Y and Z. But yeah, I'll go el mall as well, just hoping that they, Oh I did not mean to give myself that. Oh my goodness, here we go. I went through bad hot keys. But yeah, I'll I'll do that as well. I'm hoping just for some points that it works out here.
Speaker 5: But Diane Warren will finally get her rosc this year.
Speaker 1: We can hope. Yeah, Like, what was it last year? That one and she was pissed. I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 5: Any of those songs.
Speaker 1: It was Barbie was Julipa's Barbie song? Is Dance the Night Away? I'm pretty sure right it was, yeah, because it was that in the Ken song. But yeah, I remember her not being happy about it. But because what song is she this year? She's uh, she's the one, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she ain't winn and saw Dan warning like the only one I thought, like I heard some other talk was maybe like like Ellen, John, your picks some bad. They're either like a bird. I feel like Sing Sing had a lot of hype to start, but it kind of went away. But that's not what I've still not seen that's really good. Is that the best picture.
Speaker 5: Nominally apparently a too for did a really bad job of marketing that they really pushed behind the Brutal List and they sing sing like.
Speaker 2: Fall yeah yeah, and then that's that's what.
Speaker 1: Spot Yeah, that's what those ways. So it's like strange Darling where I think it's technically like it was first doing festivals in like twenty twenty three, like it's been around for a while. Uh Sing Sing, But yeah, that's what I thought, maybe you could do it, But I guess not best original score The Brutalist Conclave, Emili Prez, Wicked and The Wild Robot and I'm up first, I don't like that.
Speaker 5: You got your heart picked?
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, I want to, but I just don't know, like for yeah, my want is Wild Robot. I legitimately like even in Golden Geeks that was like I'll spoil my vote. That was where I voted in the category. It's like, I love that wild Robot score. I think it just hits on so many levels. But there's a lot here, like merely a present Wicked obviously, anytime something's more musical, I feel like the voters lend that way conclave. I know, I am with Clay a little bit where the score sometimes is a little like it doesn't fit, but I like, yeah it is. But I like the score secluded though by itself, I do like the score. The Brutalist score I really like like next a while Robot Brutalist would be my pick. I really that's the thing I took the most away from it. But it's just like which which one do I go with? I don't know for the music because I feel like, what's its name, Wicked, it is gonna have to win some stuff, right, and I don't know where else it's gonna do it. But I really like the Brutalists.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, it was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just I'm torn between. I'm gonna go with the harp I don't know. I really I gotta make a pick here. I'm just gonna go with the Brutalist. I'm gonna say that they're gonna I don't feel good about that pick at all. I have heard the second I say something, I'm like, oh I could, I could counter myself. Here's my thing is, maybe the Brutalist doesn't win a lot of other places, because I do think it has shifted a tab about best picture. I think it's I think it was the front runner and it got the oscar itis where it was like a star is born or La La Land, where it became the front runner too early and then everyone's like, well, what else is out there? But I do think the Brutalist is gonna win some stuff. But honestly, any of these I could see other than Conclave winning. But yeah, my heartpick would be while Rollbot. But I'm gonna make my official prediction the Brutalist. Mike, where are you at?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: We can get some love here from me.
Speaker 5: Interesting in fact, from Conclave is the guy who did the score for that. It's the same guy who wanted for all quiet on the Western Front, and I felt that was a weird choice for that year. Oh yeah, okay, as far as Wicked, I don't think it's gonna win, And honestly, I don't even really want it to win because it is just kind of like they're taking the actual songs from the Broadway show and just making like more of a musical roof on them to fit in the background, which is still good. It's just maybe for that reason it's.
Speaker 1: A little bit cheat too, because it's previously worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of like a Dune Part two thing, except we could mention to get in because it wasn't a movie. It was based on a plan. I didn't talk about the fact that I saw The Brutalist. I loved the score in The Brutalist, and I actually actually I saw Yeah, I saw it the first half two days ago, the last half of Actually, honestly, it's probably my second favorite movie, nominated for Best Picture behind Wicked. It's a movie I never plan on watching again, but the actual epilogue it moved me. I love the character stuff, the acting was great, and the score just made every part of it just like really like sing. So I one hundred percent want and will going with I think it's Daniel Bloomberg his name for The Brutalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go, mad with you on the score.
Speaker 4: I'm on Brutalist as well. I loved it from when I saw the trailer. Honestly, it was one of the highlights for me. It got me a hype to see the movie. Just the score of the whole film was great, but just that that main theme that you hear from the trailer is it plays a couple of times during the movie and more it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that is keid to winning this. Like you need a couple of those notes that are somewhat memorable, right, because you can have a great, big, sprawling score, but if you don't have that, which that's why I think kind of hurts like something like Wild Robot a little bit for me, where it's like a great score throughout, but there's not like a theme per se in a sense, but brutalist you have that like that, those heavy notes.
Speaker 5: So Trus come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, April, what about you? I also have the it's a brutalist type of season.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now what about for We'll start off with live action short Lynn Anuja, I'm not a Robot, the Last Ranger and the Man who could Not remain silent, April, because you usually see maybe something that we haven't and you've seen.
Speaker 2: Any of these I have not seen any of these.
Speaker 1: Oh the bad intro though, of course the one time usually oh I saw this.
Speaker 5: On this one.
Speaker 1: But yeah, then you get to make a blind pick here.
Speaker 2: I'm going to the man who cannot remain silent.
Speaker 1: The man who could not remain silent. Okay, what about let's see live. I'm sure you're perfect. What about you, Maddie, I.
Speaker 3: Have action short give me I'm not a robot.
Speaker 1: You got it, you can have I'm not a robot. Let's see what is I wonder if that's even about like figures.
Speaker 5: I think it's about a woman who was trying to like pass one of those make sure you're not a robot like capture things. I think that's what it's about.
Speaker 1: Really, what about you, Matt, Mike, same again, all of them, we got you what you didn't remember that, you got Anusia, you got I'm not a robot, the last Rainer, last Ranger, and then the man who could not remain silent.
Speaker 5: You know what, let's make a different here for all of us. I'm going with the last Ranger.
Speaker 1: Nice, last Ranger. Okay, there we go.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, what is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do here because yeah, I think I'm gonna pick something that you guys aren't gonna pick. So just looking at the posters here, see what I see. When I get a vibe here, I'm gonna go with a linn. It looks like it's like a you know, you know, it's a woman looking. They got the fucking selected, like the official selected things on there. As a filmmaker, now I know how important those aren't again, like, yeah, I'll take that. Please give you the download, So yeah, I'll take that. So uh, makeup and hairstyling, we got a different man, Emila Perez nos Raw too, the Substance and Wicked. I think you could make a case for Wicked. You can make a case for nos Raw too, But I don't know. I'm feeling like the Substance just because I feel like that's another movie that might not There's a couple of places that could win, and obviously we got the DEMI pick, but there's the same thing where it could be like The Brutalist, where it wins one acting wins one other one and there's a lot of great stuff it's about. Look, So I'm just trying to think, because like what Coed you do of that I'm not for aw too is impressive, but I just feel like this, I think just because the substance is about changing your features and you have that stuff at the end, I think I'm gonna go with and it's makeup and hair styling too, right, like both like they look tremendous, especially wh quality's playing like the fake version, like the outfits and the styling they give her, like, I think she stands out and pop. So I'm gonna give it to the substance as like a want and a pick. So that's my official prediction. Mike, what about you?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I give us some thoughts on a wicked in this and in this category as well, where it's where it's.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, it's good makeup and hairstying in there, but I feel like that's probably like the Barbie pick from last year, where it's like it feels like a bit too obvious because of you know, the fact that it's a musical and the fancifle stuff about it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: And usually in this category, I feel like in the past, they like want to give it to like movies that that Heck did more with less, and I feel like for here, that's the substance the nos Ferati was really good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just even count Orlock alone.
Speaker 4: As I was gonna say, I feel like I want them to win just for that alone.
Speaker 3: But it's I.
Speaker 5: Feel like I want to they count like prosthetics and stuff for that or like if makeup counts, like it's like fake note, fake noses and all all that stuff.
Speaker 1: I think so I could, but I think so yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, I'm gonna be different again.
Speaker 1: I'll go Nosferatu as for ROTI okay, going with the NOAs. What about you, Maddie, Yeah.
Speaker 4: My want is like, like you mentioned nos Fratu, just for count Orlock alone, I feel like, I mean, they got the denomination, so at least I'm glad they got direcognition. But uh, I mean the substance is totally worthy as well.
Speaker 3: Just uh that blob creation at the end. The loan is equally as great. So I'm going to go to substance.
Speaker 1: What about you, April.
Speaker 2: I have much less faith in the Academy than you guys do, because I love the sas Ratu and the substance, but I don't think either one of them is gonna win. I think I'm gonna go with Wicked. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh really Okay, okay, that's another one good swing vote for you there, So okay, Wicked it is there. Okay, so maybe those three.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm happy with you those three winning it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, like all of them except for like I get why Amelie President is in there, because like I don't, Okay, I guess, well, I just fought, like because it's like a lot with usually I feel like with musicals, there's a lot of makeup and a lot of like people look grander than they usually do. You like spooce them up because like, if you're on a stage, it's different because usually should backdrop, you't piece of wood stage and the people are over anime. But on film it's different because you got like a live breathing set so that people got a pop. So even like I've not seen the movie, but like I assume the character is Amelia Press. She has like the bright red jacket on the no, that's always who's the bright red business suit. That's why I feel like with those movies, they try to make them pop and they make you know, big blush makeup, and that's why I thought, Okay, I'm not picking it, but that's why. I could see why it was, but Mike says, no, it should even be.
Speaker 5: H I love that you assumed that you'd be wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, damn, that's that's that's that's tough. That's tough.
Speaker 5: I think the reason the reason it's here is because they went down the list of movies and they saw Emila Perez there and he said, oh, I'm not naming that for everything. Let's put it there.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, and that happens that had there's reports that happened on Pitz yeah, or my friend worked on that. That was a big poper thing this year. But film editing Anora, the Brutalist, Colmclave, Amelia Perez and Wicked. I think this is the hardest one, really, Okay, April, you get to vote on the hardest one I have even Noorah, Okay, that's a good one, Noora. What about you, Maddie, I'm as well. Oh okay, Mike.
Speaker 5: So I'm thinking last year, Yeah, I saw, and I mean, I don't really feel like the editing of that movie stood out like that much. It pretty much takes place chronologically. There's a couple of montages, but if I'm being honest, the montages were my least favorite part of it, so that's why I have like a lesser feeling about it. But I think of the brutalist, and that reminded me a lot of the editing from Oppenheimer last year. A lot of different time periods are going through, not back and forth, but like you're jumping ahead a lot, you're interspersing the like archival footage throughout, and I really like the way they did that. So I'm gonna go with the brutalist, though I agree probably Honora's what I heard is the favorite, but just because I preferred the brutalist, I'm gonna go with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, this is tough for me because both like I'm on a different side, but both with a Noor and brutalist, I enjoy them. But I could take out like obviously Brutalis very long, but like there's still stuff I could take oh even a Nora. There's stuff in the second act where I just kind of I always say like okay, I understand, I get, I get what we're doing here, and it just kind of goes on. So that's I'm actually gonna go with Conclave because I feel like one it's not gonna win much else, so maybe this is something give it and for me that movie is Kimera. Was it somewhere over two hours, but it flew by for me. Obviously we'll talk more and best picture, but for me just flew by. I think it has a good pace where at least even with the like Anora, you have big set pieces like the house, the invasion, and then the looking on the streets, and then like Brutaliss there's still some moments, some change of locations where Conclave is I don't know, ninety five percent just at one location and just the characters talking in different rooms. I think to make that, you know, flow really well and not feel boring, is it? That's to the editing. And I'm sure there's probably some dialogue scenes that maybe didn't work or were too long. So that's where I'm gonna go with Conclave. I just feel like again, also, I think it might not get at other places too, And I feel I feel like it's well at a movie conversation and I think what's his name right finds it's talking with lots of characters, but you never feel lost. I feel like they do a good portion of Okay, Tucci a couples of conversations that we're back to Stanley two chie a couple of conversations back. It's like a it's a very good pace, it's a good rhythm and stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's what I do want to bring up.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I saw it's ironic because I saw your score and Clave score for Conclave, and ahead of time, if I had to put money down, I would have betted that it would have been the opposite that you were.
Speaker 1: Maybe Conclave a final.
Speaker 3: Maybe not at two.
Speaker 4: But like I was happily surprised to see you like give it the reading you did, because, like I mean similar to me, I felt like you were in that same boat of like you, you heard all the hype it was getting, and it all school. It looks bit oscar beaty, and it's not necessarily subject matter that gets you hyped.
Speaker 3: You know, I have a similar like view of it. So I thought maybe you would have been not a two. I guess that's.
Speaker 4: Fair, but maybe a bit more lukewarm on it. So I'm glad that you enjoyed it to the extent that he did.
Speaker 1: Other than like Amelia Perez, which if I watch I'm sure usually I feel like most Oscar movies when they're nominally if I watch, I don't think I've ever failed them in like a long time, like even last year with Maestro, like I understood people's points, but I couldn't fail my stroke. I think I gave it like a like a three three and a half, like I thought, there's aspects well made and well acted. I think there's some stuff that wasn't. But usually Oscar fair, it's like it's at least a bare minimum of like okay, you can get a pass here. So uh yeah, no, I like but even the same thing with Conclave. I did enjoy it more than I thought. But I also don't know if it's like say, it's not like the Holdovers or the Holdovers like oh every Christmas, gonna watch that. I Conclave I may watch again in the future, but I'm not like, oh I got to see Conclave again, you know, like it didn't do that. So but no, I enjoyed a lot more than I thought. And also because it could also just be casting wise. I love Fines, I love lyft Goal, I love two Cheat like there's.
Speaker 5: A lot of fun Cardinal too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So to me, there's just like very good and I love seeing lyft Gow in that type of role.
Speaker 4: But they make it interesting too, you know, there's there's there's intrigue and stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and to me, I think that's a good because I think that's a tough conversation people don't have about like the idea of religion versus church versus state, like all this, Like it's a very tough situation. But costume design a complete a known conclave Gladiator two nos for aw too and Wicked to finally get any Claire too. I would personally like it to be nos for aw too, but I think Wicked's gonna get it here. I feel like, again there's many some places that won't win, but I just feel like it's a very flashy, very showy. Everyone's dressed the nines. It's great. It's a bunch of CGI extras. So I and like I said, I don't think it's a bad win if that would happen, I think it's well deserved. So I'm gonna go with Wicked. And even then, I guess I want like I want no Osparazu the same thing. I guess it's just more like Victorian age sort of outfits. So it's like I think it's just maybe that's more me going to how it shot again. But the rest of these like, like, to me, I don't think they're like Glader two, like Conclave complete. I know, like Conclave looks great, but they got like the fucking blueprint of how to do that, Like I feel like that's like an easy one, like you have hundreds of years like and like I just feel like they could literally go to Vatican and be like, hey, could we have twenty five of your robes and like here it is, you know, and like a complete unknown like from what I've seen, like it looks like it's the times, but it didn't look like it was a stand up to me. So to me, this is like a if Wicked were to lose, I would be shocked, you know, other than maybe not brought to medium that I would be shocked. So I'm gonna go with Wicked.
Speaker 5: What about you, Mike, Yeah, I mean I thought Barbie had it in the bag last year and that I think it went to Poor Things, that's.
Speaker 1: True, Yeah, oh I did. Yeah, yeah, poor Things.
Speaker 5: Too kind of ostentatious like fits in those movies. And yeah, I don't understand why a complete unknown is there. I feel like that's like the last year the Kills of the flowerd WMD pic where it's like, well it takes place in the past and it looks good for the periods, let's just nominate it. But I know Wanton will definitely Wicked. The costume for Glinda, the cape billowing at the end for Alphaba, just phenomenal stuff.
Speaker 1: Put me down for that, man. What about you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean to your point where the enough Sara two stuff, Count Orlock alone is a ten on ten even everything else, it's just that, like you said, you could fall back on the Victorian era era thing, but they still do it, you know, to perfection and just Count Orlock too looks freaking awesome. But I'm gonna go with Wicked, and I kind of wanted to win too. Honestly, I feel like it's it's a worthy winner in this category.
Speaker 1: What are you, April?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish it would be not sprout to you, but I think it's gonna be Wicked, Okay, Wicked.
Speaker 1: All around cinematography, we got the brutalist Dune Part two the Press, which is that one I can't like. I haven't seen, of course, but even though I look at him like, I don't know Maria and nos Farra to April. I think you might have a similar thing where you want Osra to win, But I don't know if it's your pick. But am I wrong? Is it? Is it? Get your pick?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't think nos Roch is going to win anything, unfortunately. Yeah, but I'm glad it's in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't expect it to get in at all, So glad it's there. But I went with the brutalist.
Speaker 1: Okay, Maddie, what about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm in the same train, brutalist.
Speaker 1: Mike, what about you.
Speaker 5: I'm so happy nos Fortu got in there. I think it is by far the best of those best cinematography of the year, It's just absolutely I am a dude is nominated, right, Yeah it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, So I'm a little conflicted because they have been showing Craig Frasier more love lately, but I is not enough to get him over the over the line this one because it wasn't for the Batman.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's true.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with the brutal A stampy with a boring choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, just quickly, do you remember if he was nominated for doing part one for cinematography, So.
Speaker 1: I think that year I think he won. Me do I still got the past winners up here, let me do it because that was that was like a COVID year, so there wasn't a lot of options for that. Back that's twenty twenty one, right, because it came or no.
Speaker 3: Twenty two or was it twenty one?
Speaker 5: But the Oscars played in twenty two?
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah it was Oscar nominations for twenty twenty two, right, Okay, so let's see. Uh, let's see here cinematography where are you?
Speaker 3: Was he nominated for that?
Speaker 1: So he did win? Yeah, he won? And then it was the other categories were West Side Story or nominees West sid Storry, Tragedy, Macbeth, Power of the Dog, Nightmare Alley, and Dune. That's not one. I feel like they weren't going to give it to anybody, like I didn't. I don't. I didn't see any of those like winning that in my opinion, and like maybe West Side Store, but the other ones I don't see.
Speaker 5: I see because he already won and it's a sequel that that's probably a guarantee he won't win this time around, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to me that's like, uh yeah, because Mike, you picked the Brutalist as well, right, Yeah, And for me it's just like the shot of the year that's there is the post well I guess is the Empire State or the Statue of Liberty and it's flips.
Speaker 5: Such a great opening, Yes, best opening for a movie of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think there's other great stuff with scale. I think there's other great stuff with imagery. I think they even there's stuff of I know it sounds dumb, but when Adrian Brody is outside, when he gets that place on the property and he's like drinking from that fountain, even just the outside area, I'm like, oh, this is shot well, like the colors pop, like just everything about where sometimes we see things like look at cat America, bravenew worl they're shoot outside You're like, why does it look like that? Yeah, like it's a sound stage. It's still like why does it look like like it doesn't look real? You know where Brutalis It's like even outside, it's like, oh, this looks fantastic.
Speaker 5: See at every scene like it's in movement. I love the Yeah, it's coming of a cliche the long takes, but there were some legitimately great long takes, especially at the end spoiler, but like the the confrontation at the dinner that was a yeah, oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll just say it is like going up the stairwell. To me, it was like a man, that's like because even then it's like it's it's not a bad thing. You can see like some of it's someone with a camera, but it like adds to the situation that's going on.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you mentioned the post or even the other post or the shot of of.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah sparks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even the typeface. I know that's not cinematography, but the type face for the credits and everything, the way it looks like blueprints and stuff.
Speaker 2: A love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah that's cool stuff. So uh, that's okay. So animated short film Beautiful Men in the Shadow of the Side Press, Magic Candies, Wander to Wonder that say that five times fast and yuck with an exclamation like that sounds like a club Stephan when I've talked about and on the s Nell skits, but I'm I have nothing here, so I'm gonna go with Beautiful Men again. Look at the poster looking nice, uh nice and a little depressing there, and I think they love that. So but I have not seen any of these. The shorts always get pagged on, so, uh, Mike, what about you?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with Wonder to Wonder because I heard the plot for it and it sounds like weird as hell and I kind of like it. So it's like about if I got Crickically, it's like about like claymation characters like a kids show that come to life or something.
Speaker 1: Really okay, Yeah, so that's up my alley. So I got to check that out because I love clamation, so okay, put me on that. But then the wash list there, Maddie, what about you?
Speaker 3: Writing with my Montreal boy on this one? Why wander?
Speaker 1: All right, April, what about you?
Speaker 2: I also have Wonder to Wonder?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm alone. I should have should listen, but you know, Sugar Gone Last? Maybe, yeah, Sugar Last? Maybe this is my surprise vote though I pull ahead. So okay, so we got where's the anime film here? Okay? So animated film Flow, Inside Out to Memory, Memoir of a Snail, wals and Gramut, Vengeance, Most Foul, and a Wild Rollbot. The walls grown thing is a bug because it's so weird where it's like in the UK came out, but it come out here to that, so it's just like I have it on my letter box. I'm classifying as a two this a year movie, Like I know it was in the UK earlier, but so I peeple ask my letter box right now. Walson Grama is this year.
Speaker 3: But uh when was it released? It was December.
Speaker 1: It was a UK in its December, but North America not till this year. But it's already nominated for Oscars and it's a weird thing, Like I don't know how it got nominated for Oscars. Is I don't even think it was other than I guess some festivals. I don't think it was even out in the UK when the Oscar Norms were released, but I don't know. So, but what about you, April, What's what's your want? What's your prediction?
Speaker 2: So I think it'll probably go to the Wild Robot. But I'm gonna go with my heart and go with flow.
Speaker 1: Oh really, okay, okay, what about you, Maddy?
Speaker 3: I'm going with flow as well. Will believe it or not?
Speaker 5: Mm hmm, okay, going with my heart would mean going with Insight Out too, because I didn't known that. I really love that one. I think it's one of the better Pixar sequels, but that being said, it has almost no chance of winning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with the Wild Robot because I feel like, with the exception of last year where they gave it to Miyazaki because you know, they wanted to underline his career again, they usually tend to be a little more safe about their animy of picks and go with the more wider released things. So I'm gonna go with the Wild Robot. I do plan on watching Wallace and Gromma eventually, and and Flow. I also hear good things about the Snail one, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I cried like a baby at Memoir of a Snail.
Speaker 5: I hear it's the pressing. Yeah, Wild Robots. Yeah, I saw it last week and it convinced me. It's damn damn good stuff.
Speaker 2: It's a good animated films.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I need to see Flow, so I can't say like, oh, these deserve it over that, but just from what I've seen, yeah, Wild Rebolts right, Wild Robot is my heart picked. But I just it's tough because I think I think you're right. Maddie is for Mike. You God damn m Montreal Boys. And I shouldn't have even the way I did the things I should have went Maddie a Riyan because I'm looking at just my Matt. Yeah I should I don't know why I didn't split you too, But so I think Mike's right. I just like Flow has won so much. Like I've had a struggle with this one because it's one a lot of other places. But yeah, where does it come down to. I'm not sure I'm gonna go aflow just because I think it's one a lot of other places, and I feel like maybe the animation, maybe it's a shift, and maybe there's some people that feel like wild Robot is very well, but like even like they're like like when Dylan talked about I think there's some people that appreciate it, but then like weren't blown away by it where me I was where I could see a lot of people like, oh, yeah, well Robot's really good. But Flow is different for X, Y and Z, so robots definitely close.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like a boy in the hair and Spider verse situation from last year where it's like forty five to fifty five could go either way. I just think this time, because flow does not have like like a lot of names around it, I think it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Go to a robot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think since it got international feature and animated that it might have a shot.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that at least it would Last year that Spider verse versus the the Boy and the Heir, and that did have like what you said, Mike, where it was like, Okay, he might be retired, we're gonna honor him. Where this is doesn't have that. That's where it makes it a bit more harder. But speaking of another hard credit guer that I get to go first, they're in original screenplay at Nora. The Brutalists are real pain September five and the Substance. For me, I think this is a two horse race, and I'm very conflicted between a Noora and the substance. Again, I personally would go the substance. I loved the Noorra, but at the middle half for me, I just did not find as funny as other people. So it's just like for me, that's why I wouldn't give it there. But that is right up the alley of what best screenplay is for the Oscars. To me, it's usually a smaller film that has very snappy dialogue that is less about set pieces more about character moments. That is a noor to a t. But it's also like I'm playing the game of I could see because I don't care. We're gonna get too lare. I think Anora is the front runner for Best Picture. So it's that thing of like do they is it? You never know the Oscar. Some years it's like it's a sweep and one thing wins everything, or it's like let's you know, like let's go there, let's go there, and obviously they don't get together and vote, but it's just like a vibe that happens, right, and that same thing of like I could see a nor winning Best Picture, but the substance winging screenplay at won the whatever it's called the Palm de man or whatever, like some I can't remember it. It won the Screenplayward. Yeah, yeah, So it's like that's obviously like something I should know, but I don't know. I'm not gonna remember. There's too many award shows nowadays and stuff like that. I just know it won, like, hey, this is something you want to win, right and it won that, so I'm gonna oh God. But then the flip same thing. If a Noora doesn't win Best Picture, I would see people be like, oh, I'm gonna put it here, So I'm gonna go safe. I'm gonna say Anora, even though uh, substance is my pick, and I would love Substance to make the upset and do it. That's why I forgot to mention it when we're talking about Isabelle Roseline. That's what surprised me about quality was if it was just Demi Moore getting the norm, I would have seen why. But the fact it's got like Best Picture direct ractors, I surprised quality was not in there. So clearly it has a lot of love so it could win. That's what I'm polling for. But I'm gonna go with a Nora just because I think a lot of people win a Noura, And there might be people that think the same way of like, oh, if it doesn't win Best Picture, at least it could get screenplay. So I'm gonna I'm gonna go with a Nora, but I don't feel good about it, so what you mike for your official prediction and want?
Speaker 5: So I haven't seen September five, so I can't really judge on that. I would actually say, as much as I love The Substance, it would probably be my least favorite of these four, just because I feel like the direction is really what makes that movie. That's fair direction and the acting, and because Corley wrote and directed it, I feel like her direction helped the script a lot more than if it would have just been the scripted itself, because there's not that much dialogue in it, and the problems I do have with it have to do with, like some of the inconsistencies with the way the stuff the Substance works. My favorite is The Brutalist because I feel like the dialogue is what makes that movie. It's a three hour movie that's essentially just people talking, especially with Guy Pierce's performance. There's a lot of good, you know, phrases and quotes from him, the way it feels like they're talking like an old style but Anura, because the way I watched Anora, it really felt like there was these actors improvising a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: More than I agree. Yeah, especially that one guy's like like it's a Sean Bearer classic where he gets a person that's not an actor, and I feel like those people have to be doing some improv, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and in real pain. It would probably be my second a favorite because again, a very script focused movie, some good dialogue there, a good character work. But yeah, I'm gonna have to play it safe and say I feel like Anora is probably gonna win it. It's very close between that and The Brutalist, but I think Anora has the juice for it.
Speaker 1: So put me down for a nourra. Okay, Maddie, what about you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout out to Kirkland for September five. It's officially OSCAR nominated September five.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we got it. We got We don't got a Brutals review on the fee, but we do got a September five review, which now I know September five. I thought he was just an idiot not saying September fifth. I'm like, why is he not calling it September fifth? Like, even though I do not wait, like saying September five sounds like it hurts my mouth to say September five. I imagine it's just like it's February twenty three today, Like it's just like it just doesn't feel right. But yeah, there's a Timber twenty just a five review. But Maddie, what you're going with, Yeah, shout.
Speaker 3: Out, shout out Kirkland. I'm gonna go with Anora as well. It's gonna be my pick. Some good some really good scripts.
Speaker 4: Mike touched on it, like movies like A Real Pain even this, I mean the substance, there's more to it. There's the makeup, there's the performances, but like, yeah, got Real Pain and the Brutalist it's you know, the script is huge.
Speaker 3: Man carries them.
Speaker 1: And some people might think this isn't worth a nomination, But I do think some of the part of the reason why something's got a nominated is just because like the pitch of what it is, Like I think it's just like when the Wild movies work of like it's like an elevator pitch and then like the screenplay is what it is. But it's because like the idea is so good, it's like, yeah, well that's what's carrying it to screenplay is Like I agree with Mike, there's tons of the director that's doing the heavy lifting. But I think that's why it's in here, is because it's just like, oh, that idea is great and you made it work, so we'll put it. You know, you get that nomination.
Speaker 4: So from when we saw that first trailer hit us, man, I think we all reacted to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the substance looks like something you know.
Speaker 1: Alright, April, are you going somewhere different? Are you joining the club?
Speaker 2: I'm going to join the club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going to go with the noras. Okay, So now we go on the other side for adapted. That is a complete unknown Amelia Pereas Nickel Boys Singing Street and Conclave. Yeah, that's that's a couple of years ago, like you stole it. Yeah, I sing sing so April, you are first on your predictions and your wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is where Conclave gets some love.
Speaker 1: Conclave, Maddie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm Conclave as well, all right, Mike.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think second only to Best Supporting Actor. This is a case where I feel like this writer is going there knowing he's living with his oscar. It's I mean that movie is Conclave is basically just like it relies on the the dialogues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we push things forward.
Speaker 5: It makes things engaging. It makes the politics of the papacy seem like a like a thrilling political thriller.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: So yeah, definitely definitely Conclave deserved and uh and getting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I almost want to. I'm not gonna stand by my editing pick, but I kind of forgot it was adapted in here, so I would have uh because I think this is where will get some love. And because I don't know, like merely players haven't heard much. I justpect I've not heard much juice for these other ones. Like I feel like sometimes adaptive is like just really being there's tons of heavy hitters with this. I just I just don't feel like there's anybody else. And like you just said, Mike is a very dialogue heavy movie. That's where they're gonna go, kind of similar to Norris. I'll go with that one. Like I don't have a want. It's like I haven't seen a couple of these, So my just prediction is Conclave.
Speaker 3: So uh.
Speaker 1: Best actress in a supporting role Monica Barbaro in a complete unknown area on Grande and Wicked, Felicity Jones and the Brutalist is about was a Leini in Conclave and Zowai's al Donna Amelia Perez, I I might That's why I wish the SAG actors were tonight because in the other places she's still been winning awards. But with the SAG tonight, I think, like, if she wins it here, it's locked. But I also don't know when the SAG, like you brought up earlier, I don't know when the SAG acting ended, and that could have been earlier, right because a week before so.
Speaker 5: I think it was after the BAFTAs. The SAgs and the oscars I think were the only ones that voting ended after the Amelia Paris stuff came.
Speaker 1: Out, Okay, And that's where again I'm not gonna say, like with the conference, is not gonna say it should affect her. I'm just saying we've seen that in past where that happens right where I'm not. I don't want to get this film anything right. But Zoe's Aldonna is a great actress. I've not seen that like even the like I gotta see which ones I have seen here, I haven't seen known Grande Grande I'm fine with because I think she was the thing going to that movie that everybody was worried about. To me, that was always the like can she act? Can she do it? And even from what I saw, I was like, okay, no, she can do it. So yeah performance, Yeah, Flisty Jones I thought was also great as well. She had a really great, like under note performance. I feel like in a different year she could maybe win, but that's not gonna happen this year. Yeah, Isabel Rosaline to me is the one that stands like not bad, but it's just like it's it's like the leal thing we're talking about. If there was a year where I couldn't name another person, I'd say, okay, fine, but like with Cawley, I could name her right like like I don't know, like I know it's maybe a hot take, but even the person that played like their niece and the brutaliss like, I feel like I had more of a stronger performance of her, and she had no dialogue till like the last hour of that movie. Like I felt like I got more from her than Isabel Rosaline, like just stuff like with the what's that guy's name? Who's the son of guy Pierce? Yeah? Yeah he and I thought obviously I thought I did a great job like him and Guy Pierce felt like fathering something like the way they talk like but their little dynamic and how new with their eyes you could tell what was going on. So like there's multiple actresses.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of buzz about Jimmy Lee Curtis for the sugarl I thought she was gonna get it because she's a lot of attention towards the end, and a couple.
Speaker 1: Of other That's one where I heard buzz for her. I heard buzz for Batis in supporting, I heard buzz for Pamela, and it just like whatever, Yeah, And Sofia Copa's like directed multiple oscar on me. So it's not like, oh it's a newbie, you're not gonna check out. I don't know, like it sounds mean, but for some reason, I bet that people just saw Pamela on the post and just like wrote off of my pain, like they just sawm like eh, like or maybe it's not good. I don't know. I'm interested. It's on VOD so I'm hoping to see it this week. But yeah, so like I don't know, I'm gonna Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw it on theaters when it came out here. Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, it's okay. No, I'm I'm excited to see it, so yeah, I'll just go with Zoe. I just think if there was with Grande, they could But I think there could always be that, oh well, there's a part two thing out right, you can all like, and then that might not work out. It didn't work out for me with Fucking Dune Part two. Now looking at it, I would have had no way home one back in twenty twenty one. But I'm like, uh, I'm sure we'll be back, and we weren't, so now I'm on the side. But I still think there's things like that where people think, oh, if Grande is great again, we could give it to her if we wanted to, where it's always all Donna. She's been working for like since she's a team, like thirty years, and this is the first time she's never been nominated, not even just like like nominating she's lost, but she's never been nominated, and she's she's been like underrated actress for years. So I think this one is a it's a combo, right of I don't. I don't know about the performance. Everyone does say she's like the best thing. But I feel like I've even heard people say like she's not even as good as that, but she is. I think she is. Yeah, so that's the thing where for me it's I think it's also it sounds weird because she's like still a young woman, but I think it is kind of a career thank you in a sense because she's been working for a long time and they've never honored her at any point. So yeah, I'm gonna say Zoe here for I don't have a want because I I don't have a strong feeling anyway. And like I said, I haven't seen a couple of these, so I will try to get there. But and that's only she is, legitimly the only reason I want to see Amelia Press just so I can. It's like a real pain. I haven't seen that, but I will watch it just to be Okay, I saw the guy who's one of the Oscar but I will go as always sell Dona.
Speaker 5: And that is to you, Mike, now, uh Okay, I got a couple of things to say about this. Okay, it breaks my heart. That's always Saldana is getting nominated for this movie because I really wanted to see her get a nomination for something that actually like, well, I don't want to speak for her, but that viewers could be proud to see her win for And yes, she is the best thing about the movie. That's not saying a lot. Uh Do I think she's gonna win? My mind is telling me probably. I think she's the only person that's gonna come out of the whole Amelia Perez thing unaffected, which I think she should be, because it's not her fault that all this this crap is happening in the movies she was in. That being said, I think Ariana Grande gave the best acting performance of the year in Wicked. I think her comedic timeh I was incredible.
Speaker 1: Support are in general in general?
Speaker 5: In general, I think my comedic performance was just absolutely incredible. And I was I was not anser beforehand because I saw, I knew what she was capable of, and I knew what the character was. I thought that she she's gonna nail that, and I was happy I was right, And this might be her only shot because Glinda is not as much of a big thing as in the second act as she's in the first act.
Speaker 1: So I think, though you know, a couple of actress, but I think especially for.
Speaker 5: The next Wicked, they're gonna want to push Cynthia Moore because she's going to be the really the main character was here. God it should have been nominated for Best Actress too. But that's another conversation about.
Speaker 4: I'm curious because you've seen the play, like, is there any factor of the Well, mind you it's it's it's an adoption.
Speaker 3: I guess we've seen that before.
Speaker 4: But like, how similar is your performance to the performance of the Broadway show, Like does that work against maybe that it's just kind of copying that performance or is it different.
Speaker 5: Well, every actress that plays the character kind of brings like their own thing to it. It's like the same archetype of the character. And then they do there the difference different things with it. And she just happened to really really nail it. I mean not not like any better or worse than like Christian chenow With or some of the other actresses, but she just did perfectly. So for that reason, I am one percent giving my full support give her this freaking Oscar already.
Speaker 4: So that prediction too, Yep, whoa, he's going freakly don't like what about because you mentioned Zoe like you know, obviously you don't.
Speaker 3: You said you don't like the movie about her actual performance like.
Speaker 5: It, she's good, she's just not oscar worthy, and it her singing is is blunted by the fact that the songs are not good and not don't like use utlize her voice, she her character, the same thing for most of the characters in that movie. Makes no sense. As far as motivations, the emotions behind it, I I really don't understand why it's getting elevated to the point where it is. So I won't be like angry if she wins just because I like Zoe. But as far as like other stuff, yeah, Also, Fistley Jones really good in The Brutalist. She doesn't get a lot to do as much as some of the other actresses, well more than ross Alini. But I would not be unhappy if she won too. But that's not gonna happen, so yeah, lock it in.
Speaker 1: Even then, when we talk about like someone just being in one scene, we talk about that dinner scene and Brutalist at the end, like that for me, the scene that stands up more than with with Roselini. But I was gonna ask with the thing with Amelia Prez that has happened early Awards season doesn't matter now because it's so far gone. They made their decisions. But I saw a lot of banter that like aren't there screen times all pretty similar because I saw people being like Zoe's on and should really be in lead.
Speaker 2: But they were in support frad Yeah, for sure, movie not as.
Speaker 5: Much as Ariana Grande is in Wicked, though I think she's the lead for the first half and then them, Yeah, she kind of disappears, but yeah, for the purposes of the Oscars, I feel like she would be a lead the actress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I feel like the Oscars and this has been someone that's been like twenty five, like thirty maybe the whole time. I'd have to go back, but just in my lifetime, like unless they are different genders, they can't, like it's almost like they can't be two leads. Like they've rarely like I think they did that once with Departed. I think Departed had like day. I think it was like Nicholson Leo and maybe David maybe not, but like there's a few times they've had lead actors or lead act or like whatever. Supporting has a been different, but the leads particular, like you can have multiple leads, but they got to Yeah, I think nowadays they just go like no, unless it's male or female, there can only be one. And it's like, to me, it's like a it's you know, it's so easy. It's just like it's screened. It's literally screen time. It's literally just like who has the most amount of minutes?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: But uh, yeah, Maddie, what about you? Uh who are you going for supporting actress for your pick?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just quickly, so I haven't seen that complete unknown. I've only seen three of the five, you know, so it's tough just grading off the three that I've seen. I would my want would honestly be grande honesty, and I wouldn't have I would have never thought that. I probably like rolled my eyes when I saw that she was in it. But she she was, you know, she she transformed. It's her performance, you know, It's like you said, it's comedy, it's it's singing, it's the acting. So i'd actually want her to win again, not having seen Zoe and Amelia Perez, Felicity Jones is good.
Speaker 3: She has like some strong moments, but overall, it was strong, but I would.
Speaker 1: She's also on the first half of the movie too. Yeah, it's tough for her.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, but just given like the way the awards have been going, like Zoe's the front runner, so I gotta go with Zoe's.
Speaker 1: A don Yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's that Oscar surprise if nothing else this her being in the Oscar says made us finally know how to properly pronounce her name. It's always yeah, yeah, uh, April Sititer. Giving nothing to Amelia press is that's sticking here.
Speaker 1: I know, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: I forgot that. I did give them one. She's such a front runner, it's gonna go anywhere else. And she wasn't terrible and it's not her fault.
Speaker 3: The movie was.
Speaker 1: And that's how I feel about Like, that's that's how I like, I get A couple of years ago why I kind of get I still like the movie Green Book in the sense of I don't like I've never watched again, but like I liked it. I saw enough. That's what I never understood with Green Book, that people would just destroy it but then be like, oh, but I love Myhrscha. It's like, well, if you love mahrschaal le like there's something the movie does right, so even like like you don't like me, but you can still say, like, okay, it's always so good and it's that's the same thing with all LEI. It's like Marshall Lee is fucking great in Green Book. That's a great performers.
Speaker 5: I was stand that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for me it's like I never understood like I understood portions, but like you can steal some great pieces in a movie if you don't care for it, right, Like That's that's why I like The Letters has the five system, so I'm fine, But that's why I like the ten system because I just like have more versatility and rating. If there's a few more things I like, But the movie might not be great. But acting in a supporting Roy Got Yuri Bosov and Anora Karen Culkin in a Real Pain, Ever Norton, Complete Unknown, Guy Pierce in The Brutal List, and Jeremy Strong and The Apprentice, I've not seen a Real Pain or Completely Unknown, so I can't go in there. Actually doesn't matter because April's going first, so she gets to say it. But I think I feel like we all have this one. Who are you picking?
Speaker 2: So I feel like it should go to Guy Pierce, but I think it's gonna go to Karen Colgan.
Speaker 1: What about you, Maddy.
Speaker 4: I'm similarly again, I haven't seen Norton. I'm a big Edward Norton guy. I haven't seen that performance. I'm sure he's awesome in it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen.
Speaker 4: I saw a bit of The Apprentice, So yeah, I thought Guy Pierce was awesome too.
Speaker 3: Man, I just watched a bootle list. I thought he was.
Speaker 4: It's a little one no times, but it's it's an awesome performance. Actually, just very quickly, did they ever answer what happens to him? Because he kind of just okay. I think it's a safe assumption, but yeah, I just I was wondering if he ever was, Like I was wondering if I owned that would be I'm gonna go with Kieran Culkin, Travis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maddie, Mike, Mike, No, you get to Maddie. You get the second place.
Speaker 5: Mike, Uh yeah, echoing which you Guy said, it should one hundred percent be Guy Pierce. I think he gave probably my second favorite performance of the year.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Just such a great villain. Unpredictable, the way he was just spinning out that dialogue.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 5: And the thing about Kieran Culkin is, for anyone who's seen uh, Succession, I feel like the consens consensus seems to be like, Yeah, he's basically just playing a variation of his character from Succession, which he does very well. And again this is category fraud because I think, even more so many others, he is the lead character of real pain. The movie opens and closes with him. I'm pretty sure he has more screen time than just the Eisenberg, doesn't that movie.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Definitely pretty close.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, very close. And but and he's also like the central like subject of it. But yeah, I mean he's won everything, so I'm not gonna deny that he's not gonna win. He's definitely gonna win. So pretty down for Kean Culkin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this this one is just so I'm going as well. I haven't seen it, I will, I haven't had much of a rush to see it. And yeah, I was surprised, Mike you still put guy Pierce. I thought you were you were like one of the biggest defenders I've heard of. Like it's still like even if it's similar, succession is still like a great performance. I feel like that's the knock against it. But like that's that's what is odd about it, and it's just I was just surprised that, like so early on he was like deemed like he's the guy and he's not lost anything, and like even then it kind of came like out of nowhere. I'm not sure if it's just people really like secessions, so and it came over and did a similar performance, like let's give that, Like, yeah, I would love it, Guy Pierce, because I that was my letterbox review where I don't I was. I grew up where Adrian Brody won for the Penis and they did King Kong and then he was gone for like ever, and then I grew up with Guy Pearson Memento and like, uh, The Time Machine, which it's a bad movie, but I love The time Machine, like it's a great like b rate, you know sci fi movies, Like I grew up with those two, and then in the twenty tens they were in some like I can't remember what it was, but like.
Speaker 3: Adrian Machine, I remember that one too.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Yeah, But then Adrian Brody was in like something like Cell Block B with like Force Whittaker, where they're like like they're being experimental experimented on in prison, like it's saying the Guy Pierce he was like he was gonna.
Speaker 5: Ground Buddhest and Adrian Brody.
Speaker 1: I love them now, yeah, yeah, and that's who was keeping him alive. Was like in the mainstream roles was Wes Anderson and Guy Pierce like he was like a villain and a Liam Niese and like action or like like I'm not saying these guys should be in like fucking Glenn pal levels, but I never understood where they went. So yeah, I think, yeah, this is the same thing I've not seeing. We don't know well, but I would have liked Guy Pierce to get it here. I think would have been a good kind of like comeback moment. And even then though Jeremy Strong, I'd make a call like have the succession boys, Like I feel like there's some successionisms there too. But that last act and Apprentice when he's sick, it's not supol because he's like he's a real life Ferston when he's sick. There's some really tough acting going on in a good way. So but yeah, I don't forget about Guy Pearce and Agent Brody anymore. Like I want to see Nolan get back with Guy Pierce, you know, I want to see Adrian Brody and some stuff like they should not be just doing like streaming movies anymore. I don't know where they went the past ten years, and for me it's a hot take. I don't understand all why Leonora ones there. I think he was good, but the whole it was one of those where I'd heard the buzz before saw it, and I like, I like the guy that plays the annoying husband more than him.
Speaker 5: I want to ask all three of you guys that do you think they should have nominated him? Because I will say he did a good job of making me just fucking hate the most punishable character on screen. But is that like the sign of a good performance.
Speaker 1: I think so, because when I've seen interviews in real life, he's not like that. So that's why it's it's like the same way for me. I always like put Hugh Jackman or Margaret Robber like when you're talking about comic stuff, I put them higher than like Ryan Reynolds or Downey because it's like I love Downey's Iron Man and I love Renelds Deadpool, but it's like that's still just them being them, you know. Or Hugh Jackman is not Wolverine. He does not He's not a fucking prick. He's not a tough guy. Like, he's a jovial guy who likes to sing and dance, like like they're completely different. So it's the same thing with that performance, where in real life he's not like, oh fuck, like he's kind of slimy and I get it, like yeah, and not saying the other guy is like a bodyguard or anything, but just he felt like it was a good performance. But I just it did not stand out to me. I'm so surprised he's no.
Speaker 5: More soul Like I feel like, like you saw him and you feel like there's something going on with that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I just didn't think it was like nomination level. Like already in that same movie, I could point to an actor being like that. I would pick up whatever the guy Joe Alben no no, no, not brutalist like.
Speaker 3: You to him.
Speaker 4: I was just looking made this put this guy into running for James Bond, and he's got a good look I just put him in the chest.
Speaker 1: He's not British, so I don't.
Speaker 3: Though you mentioned him before he was, he was. He was good and brutalist as well.
Speaker 1: The only thing I knew about him was that he was Tai Swiss X at one point. That's the only thing I knew. Yeah, yeah, because but I've seen him. It's funny though, because he was in kinds of Kindness then he was in this so he's definitelyetting typecast is just like the complete piece of ship person who's also I guess like an assaulter too because in both movies he's doing that. So but saying like that performance, that speed, that conversation he has with Brody when he's like a little tipsy, he like, I think that was my favor dynamic of the movie, was him being super friendly but then always taking these shots and Agent Brody just having the pride not to say anything, but you could tell. And Brody was great in those moments, like holding back, like I put him over the anor guys again. And I hate saying that because the guy I think did well enough job, like not bad at all, but it was just it's an It's like the whole supporting actor. One for me this year is it's an odd bag. But I feel like that was not that it was odd, but last year with I can't remember her name and it's Devine.
Speaker 5: From holding Joey Randalls.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had no problem with her winning, but it was the same thing. She won everything. It was like from the beginning it was. So it's like, it's funny with supporting the last couple of years, I feel like it's becoming a category that is very it's it feels like the leads are way more unpredictable, where I feel like a decade ago it was flipped. It was always lead actor and actress. We know he's winning. It's the supporting that was a surprise, and now it's it's pretty set.
Speaker 5: I think I started with JK. Simmons and Whiplash. She was the guy who I thought he had it, like locked him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then ever since then, it's kind of like, you know, anytime Waltz was in there, you knew he had it, you know.
Speaker 4: So for supporting, I'm curious on the guy who got nominated for a noura.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like if I would have like similar to your experience, if I would have known going in, Like if I had heard the hype and that he got nominated and then I saw the performance, I would have felt like, okay, that was I might have felt a bit underwhelmed too, but not that I when I left that screening, I didn't. I didn't immediately assume all, yeah, I was an Oscar performance, but like he was definitely a character that that stood out for me, just that he brought He just brought that heart to.
Speaker 3: The movie, you know.
Speaker 4: So, But again similar to what you said, if I would have heard that buzz and heard he got nominated, I might have felt a bit under round by it.
Speaker 3: But like just watching it completely blind, I've never seen this guy. He stood out.
Speaker 5: He was in the last scene, which is like one of the best acting scenes in the movie.
Speaker 1: Of course. Yeah, And I think I think that scene is because it is the lasting Les oppression. You leave with those two.
Speaker 3: So I love the scene of them.
Speaker 4: The one I think of is of them in the living room together and they're just smoking and talking at night like that.
Speaker 5: The whole last fifty minute. This is really good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, best actress, this is a tough one.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: You got Cynthia reviw and wicked Carlosavia Gascon for Emilia Perez, Mikey Madison for Nora Demi Moore the Substance, and then Fernana Taurus for I'm Still Here to go first. And this was the toughest, same thing with so yesterday, even with the Golden Geeks one. I started to vote and then I closed the browser. I gotta come back because this was I came to that. I'm like, I don't know who I'm voting for. I'm not going to reveal to that cast this. I can see both sides. I'm just trying to think of, Like it's so tough because it's Oscar history versus Oscar history. If you look at acting an actress, they usually like to give an older male the actor of like I don't know why, it's just like a accomplishment, you've done it. And then if you look at best actress, it is like a plethora of very young starlet's like not starting their career but more in like late twenties thirties, and it's like, okay, you know, it's just just something I don't know what it is. But then there's the career thing of oh the career Oscar right, and that's what I literally think it is. It's Mikey Madsen, who is like everyone's projecting like, hey, she's gonna be the next Jaylaw, She's gonna be the next girl that's in everything, Big Star. And then he got Demi Moore, who like, I think this is it, Like you know, I hope not, but it's like I don't know if this can happen again, for because she said this is the first time she's been nominated in her whole career, and she's like she wasn't nominated for Ghosts, like fucking Whoopy Goldberg won for Ghosts, Like I'm not saying like Whoopy was bad, Like she wasn't nominated for a few Good Men or Gijane, Like there's nothing in there, like a decent proposal, Like there's nothing that I was shocked by that. So it's like this is I don't know, And even this is the same thing too before now it's like, oh, I go with what I want. I think they're like for me when I put my phone Golden Geeks, it's like a fifty one forty nine. I think they both do things amazingly well. They both and it's very, very different roles. You know, it's aging starlet who's bitter versus like young rising you know, stripper who's like having the timer life and everything's crashing right, But both their characters' lives do crash the end, o' see. I feel Lenora has a better route to a successful life than.
Speaker 2: Character.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty shut and closed. But so for me, this is one where whoever wins, I'll be happy for them. I'm gonna it's and Honora has that thing going, but I'm gonna And that's why I wish say had already happened, because I feel like that'll be a big determinator. But the even in Mikey, she's been winning some stuff, but I'm gonna go with more. I think the career is gonna go there. I think Moore is generally well liked in Hollywood, which people won't care about, but like that plays a role into it. I think a lot of stuff with her, like taking care of Bruce Willis the past few years. I know people think that's dumb, but like I could see a lot of the older Holly being like you know what, like Demi's a really good person who won putting a great performance and just like has had a tough few years. I'm gonna give it to her. I'm completely fine at that when it's like this, when it's like for me, it's like a deadlock tie of like, and I think Mikey's gonna be here many like I think many it's I think she's gonna make Emma Stone where Mastone won for Law of Lamb but then she won for Poor Things five six years later, Like I think Mikey will be back in this category and winning it. But maybe this is the start. So I don't know, but I'm gonna go more. But yeah, I don't feel good about it because I feel like easily Mikey could Mikeye because she like because at the end of the day, Moore still has to share some screen time with Margaret where no, there's other characters, but like a Noor is the character that she It is a full start to finish her story. She's in practically every scene. So so you could make that ar argument to that. Oh, I'll give it a Mikey because she's in it more. But that's a tough one. So my want doesn't matter as long as one of those two. But uh, I'm gonna pick more as my official prediction. So, Mike, where are you on Best Actress?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll talk about Cynthia Evill first because I think great and Wicked. Yeah, but I feel like they're probably gonna want to save her for Wicked for Good because her character plays a lot more to that one. Hopefully next year there'll be a easier path for her to win that, but it really is, yeah, fifty to fifty between Demi Moore and and Mikey Madison. It's kind of like Emma Stone and Lily Gladstone from from last year, where like I forty nine fifty one percent. That's constantly shifting, And I would say that the oscars usually tend to prefer the narrative, except for the case with with the Best Actor for oh man, oh how can I not remember his name? A black panther?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, so that that failed, But in this case, I feel like they're gonna want to give it to Demi Moore. I'm I'm still shocked she's even being talked about for awards for that box and like, because I thought it was definitely not an Oscar performance, I would look at it.
Speaker 1: So is that how many years that we had like this is so surprising because it's it's like, oh yeah, these are the three Poli shows like Tony Klette, Hereditary, Florence Pugh, Midsimar and Lapadia along on us. And that's where it's always like every year we had this great performance by leading lady in a horror movie. But because it was a horror movie, it's like, no I even talk about it all, like it wasn't even another category. So I'm the same thing as you, Mike. I thought No, I thought gold and Globe. That's different because there's ten nominies, really right, they get split they like celebs more there, so like, okay, I can see her getting it for the Golden Globe, but the Oscars, I was shocked that I've shocked anything substances in here, maybe other than like hairstilent makeup, Like oh yeah, I give the horror film like their fucking like weird makeup award. But like, I did not think all this stuff, so.
Speaker 5: It to me again, it's like a michell yal for everything ever at once, where she had a long career of doing really really good work and finally they gave her her time to shine in that and it's from another movie that I was shocked the Oscars actually paid attention to. So for that reason, I feel like for this particular category they would lean more towards that direction. So I'm going to mean more as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's two for more, Maddie, where are you more and More?
Speaker 4: I'm so I'm so torn on this, like it's it's rough. Oh man, So we have two of you guys, are both on more or both on More?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And are you in the same boat that you don't really have a preference between the two? You kind of like them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: That's why I kind of I kind of hate picking it too, because well, my I mean, either way, I guess it will.
Speaker 1: I'll be happy either vote for going Geese too, So you're gonna have to pick again later on.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna go Demni Moremore, all right.
Speaker 3: Mikey's awesome. If she wins it, I'll be more than happy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, April, do we have a fourth year.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna go with Nike. I want DeBie Moore to win, but I just don't have any faith in the Academy to vote More and more. Yeah, I think this year's other horror performance that was Oscar where they would be Lily Rose Depp in aspora.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was really hoping she was going to get here, and they also would have never done it either too, but like Diami Scotne smile too. It's like also incredible, like it's just like good stuff. But yeah, Lily Shadow too, Yeah again all the whole because I would like, I've not seen him from Strange Darling. Will Fitzgerald was fantastic Lily.
Speaker 4: Lily has one of my favorite scenes all year of the scene towards the end with her Nicholas Holt where she kind of starts, yeah, like ripping at him and that that seems so good.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen him other Perez, but you could have could have. It would have saved you a lot of headache to change that up. And then like I'm still here, like is that like, yeah, no, I've heard great things about it. He's yeah.
Speaker 5: I think her mother was either nominated or one the Oscar too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah I think so. Yeah, So okay, we'll see and then so for we're in our last four categories. Here for Best Actor, Adrian Brody, The Brutalist Tinothy Shall make Unknown Coleman, Domingo and sing Sing Ray Fines and Conclave and Sebastian stand for the Apprentice, April, who's getting it?
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with Adrian Brody A Brady?
Speaker 1: Would he be your want as well? In this?
Speaker 2: I think i'd probably go Timothy Shallow may oh to me, Okay, there you go. I think Adrian Brody is gonna win this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Maddie, what about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: My, I mean again, I haven't seen Challow me, I haven't seen do Mingo. I love the Mingo and even Sebastian Sansol I forgot about. Yes, the pickings here for me, but with what I've seen, my wants and my prediction would be Brody as well.
Speaker 1: M h what will you, Mike?
Speaker 5: I feel like, Yeah, Domingo, he's he's quietly racking up the record for like most denominated actors to not win, because last year he was for Rustin Too, right, Yeah he was, yeah, yeah, yeah, he always seems to because he like his movies don't like get a lot of attention, but he always stands out from them. So that's cool to see. Honestly, Of those five, the one I would probably I'm gonna kind of be like the oscars here. The one I would probably want to see more for a career reason would be uh Fines, I'm saying boat as you man. Yeah, I feel like he should have gotten it for grand pretty best hotel. That was like an absolutely amazing performance. Uh, and him getting it getting in here, I feel like would still be pretty deserved. But I would also not be mad if Adrian Brody got it too, because he is good and funny. How that that AI controversy did not touch the brutalist at all, Like the brutalists should be happy the Perez controversy cub because no one's talking about the plus AI. We're getting more and more news stories. That's becoming a regular thing. So it's I don't I feel like people are gonna lose that fight, the ones who don't want to see that. But yeah, Adrian Brody was great to zaccent, the emotionality he put into the performance. Yeah, I love the minute, so I'm picking him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah with the AI stuff, that's completely like the Hollywood doesn't care that this show like it was nothing and it's gonna win and say, okay, well let's hear. Yeah, I guess he didn't even find didn't even get nominated for Graham Brudepest Hotel. That's crazy, that's a shame. Yeah, because that's that same year I talked about with Eddie Redman being Keaton, so I would I would have taken him over red Man as well. So but yeah, I'm in the same boat. Feels like bro it's just the huge front runner. Again. It feels very similar to me. Is like Caulkin, where I'm kind of surprised, Like I said, it's an actor. I felt like Hollywood kind of forgot about and I was like, yeah, he won Best Actor. But now he's just doing what he's doing. But he says and he is very powerful. I'm like Maddie where I've not seen all these like I really want to see sing sing because all the clips we see him Coleman look great And yeah, no, I think Brody is fantastic. I don't know. I will still say that. I think in a stronger year with some other heavyweights, I don't know if he would win for sure. Like I don't think he's like the best actor performance I've seen in the past ten years, but I think he is fantastic, and I think that that movie's on his shoulder, So I think he does a great job, like I wouldn't I'm with Mike, where with Ray Fines especially, there's a couple of scenes to love where John Lift goes like, well, we're gonna pretend to happen, and then he walks away say, but it happen. Like I love that he snaps a few times. I feel like they just need to give him one more flash. He's seen him. Maybe he could have been talked about more, because other than a few times, it's a very understated. He has like steered the ship of all the priests becoming like so it's almost like all these other people are being a bit more flashy. So maybe one scene, like even the last scene, one last thing is the movie when the person that does become the pope, Like I think that's them controlling the scene, right, and that's their big moment. So it's that thing where it's like, I think he needed one more big moment. But his big moments are very understated, like with the turtle or with the ending with the noise that he's like hearings is like it's it's all that stuff. I would have loved Ray Fines because I feel like he's gonna be like Defoe. He's gonna be like one of these actors that passes and we're never gonna like, he's never gonna get that. But maybe they'll do like that set soon. Just give them an honorary Oscar and just that.
Speaker 4: But I don't even know me, man, it's easy to take those people for granted, right when he's been doing it so long and they're just like their floor is just like, you know, a freaking.
Speaker 5: Awesome him at the Menu was incredible for that one too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Quickly, I just want to shout out as you brought him up, shout out to John Lethgow and that movie. Man, he just does such a good job of playing this slimy guy like that. You know you kind of you read right through him.
Speaker 3: But he's so freaking good at it, man, you yeah, you love to hate him, so perform.
Speaker 1: All right, So now we got best director. Let me pull this up. So it's, uh, how do you say? The guy's name is Emilia Prez jes Jock. Thank you to you guys, Sean Baker, Brady Corvett, Uh Corley and then James Mangold.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I love Mangold, but like, yeah, it's just like there why they right now?
Speaker 3: For John too?
Speaker 5: It should be a two big, two way raced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, directing and directing. I think the past couple of years they've kind of screwed up. I'm happy forget Gun there. I guess it's because I feel like Baker. He did he win the d g A right, I think he won. Yes, that for me, I thought for sure it was Corbett all the way. I thought, even if Brules doesn't win Best Picture, they're gonna give it to him. I'm very torn. I still think Corbett is more of an Oscars like pick. I feel like it goes away. But Sean Baker has been putting in the work for years and like so it's a very like I said, this could be like an r if it's like screenplay actress, it could be one of those where it just wins a bunch and it's like, okay, they're going that route. I think it's gonna be a split year though. I think that it's gonna be Corbett winning here for Best Director. I could be completely wrong, just because the GUGA happened and usually that's a sign, but there's a bit more wiggle room there. So but I'm gonna say, uh, Corvette gets it here because it's a massive film. And again I like Anora more than the Brutalist, Like I will watch it over many times my life. Brutalist maybe one other time, like I have no plans to watch it again, but it is a very big time, massively directed movie and that's a lot of scope that he had to do there. But uh, yeah, I'm gonna go with Corvette for my official pick.
Speaker 5: Who's your want?
Speaker 1: I probably would give it to Farget for the Substance, like I love the substance that's behind Like I think I said last year, Dune was to me the best movie, but my favorite movie was the Substance. And if Aggers isn't in this conversation as well, like Aggers is another one. Yeah, Aggers is another one that like should be here. I don't care if it's a horror film oscars like that is massively directed. But yeah, I would go to her because I think, like you said earlier, the directing and the keen eye you gotta do a lot, and I think it's like it's great socially has a lot of good messages. I think the imagery as well. It's just like hitting on all front. So that would be my want, But that's if that happens, I'd be like top three shocker Oscar's history. That the only way that would happen. I would feel like if because what are they here? Because who else is it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Because it's happened before a Shockers usually happen when to people split the votes right and the third sneaks in there, And I guess, yeah, that would be like there, you can make a case where somehow Baker and Corbett split votes and she sneaks in, but I don't think it's that amount because I don't yeah, because I don't think Perez or Complete Unknown would be the third. I think it would be her as the third that would sneak in there, but I don't think the split will be enough. So but yeah, that'd be my want. But yeah, I'll go with Corvette so well you Mike.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, my want would be uh Corey too, because like I said before, she really the direction elevates that movie a lot with the performances more than the script does.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Visually, it's it's stunning, it really carries along through and for a horror movie, I mean two and a half hours for horror movie.
Speaker 1: That's that's long.
Speaker 5: But honestly it was probably like of like noticeably long horror movies. That was probably the best I've seen. Uh And Sean Baker, I mean, I liked it, but I don't think he's like as good as Corbe. I'm gonna go with Corbe pretty corp for me.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing like I loved Nora, but like with you about Chew and you talk about the new like it's.
Speaker 4: But put your Oscar voter hat on, Like how do you justify it? Like I think, like I hate to choose those over like a Denny or because Danny.
Speaker 5: I really think that it's it's a Messiah. I think that the fact that they announced the third one it I could be wrong with me. They just don't like him, in which case there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 4: But that's not any not has you've gotten any maybe any song z in the day, not even like for a rival.
Speaker 1: That was another thing he got snubbed for two. It's similar to like like I think Nolan did get it for Dunkirk, but Nolan was the same way of like Inception got in but he didn't like I don't know why. It's almost like some of these like this sounds weird, but it could be. But my like my tinfoil hat theory. And sometimes when these directors become like names, and it's not because the Oscar made them names, they're almost like some people I feel are like, well, you know that they should be a name after we like night. It's almost like they're knighted before they get the Oscar right. And then like Nolan, to me, he should have won a few he should have won back in two oh nine. I don't care. I know people love some dog millionaire that like Nolan changed everything. First billion dollar combup movie, that's the combook standard. He made the fucking like ten picture nomineesa like he was the four, Like he created the same way. To me, Spielberg created a new blockbuster Jaws. He did that with Dark Knight, where he made like a thinking man's blockbuster where it's like you don't just have to be spectacle on a giant robot, like you can be a crime drama and go make a billion dollars. But of course still Batman movie. But I I think it's a little bit of that. If your name, they're like, yeah, now you gotta earn it, you really gotta earn it, because that's the only thing that holds him back, right, is that is the thing of like, oh, Nolan's Nolan, but he's not He's never won an Oscar. He's not an Oscar winner, right, But then we made Oppenheimer. It was like undeniable.
Speaker 4: So that's a good theory because they're both guys are in that we're in that same boat of like they're viewed as one of the better directors already in the world, and like you said, they didn't have like that as Oscar on the.
Speaker 1: Mat and like, I love lots of direk Like that's a dumb statement. I love a lot of directors. I mean, like, just because Zack Snyder says, Zack Snyder presents or whatever, that doesn't get people in the theater. Right there is a even you can make the case even Steven Spielberg's name does not get people in the theater. Like I think Nolan and Denie are probably the only two you could put up there right now, and it's like that's who oh, whatever it is, I'm gonna go there. And even if the nouvea is tough, because like Blade Runner Bomb, But now after Dune, I think he has that cache. So I remember there was some report before Dune three that Denee was gonna make some sort of like war government movie and everyone's like, oh, he's just falling the Nolan blueprint, and but that's probably what it's gonna take. It's gonna take some movie like if he made Sacario. Now, I think they'd give him Best Picture for something like that, some pretty more grounded yeah, or Prisoners yeah, where I think the big stuff. So but then even take him out to for Chu, I don't understand it either, because wigs all over the place.
Speaker 5: So I think Chew is gonna get it next year because we know for sure that's the last, the last once they never have a chance to.
Speaker 1: But what if the film is disappointing. That's the tough thing, right, you know, Yeah, that's the risk, right, and that I've learned that the hard way now this year. So that's the thing where you can never be sure. And that's where yeah, Baker is great, but like it's for me, it's not anything that hasn't happened before. The thing that's different with this go around to me is Mikey Madson and that could be the writing too, but it's a combo of like, oh, this is an all, this is a star making performance. Here, We're like, like, defall when I can't remember which one it was, like Dafoe is already a star.
Speaker 5: Like there's so I don't know it's James Mangled me from what I hear. I haven't seen a complete unknown, so I'm just going based on what I've heard. But I hear it's basically just him doing walk the Line too.
Speaker 1: That's why I've kind of heard too. Yeah, so so who is your official pick there? Mike Oh, Brady Corbett for Corbriquet yea yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, last thing, uh, it's it's God's greatest joke that jocqu Odiard got nominated for Emilia Perez as a musical and not John and Chew. I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: I yes, to me, she just even like it's weird because usually they like to have like the box off one. But I guess same thing happened to Greta last year, right, she know she directed the biggest film of the year, and to me that was the I can't remember everything every nominee that was in there last year. But I thought Greta deserved over a couple people.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just the fact that they're both musicals and that's the one that gets Yeah, Maddy, what about you.
Speaker 4: I'm on Brady Brady Corbett as well. My want would be him, or or Cora Lee as well. I mean, Honora is awesome, but Sean Baker could definitely win.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna go with Brady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, April, I'm gonna go with Sean Baker. Although I also wish it was Corely.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, there you go.
Speaker 5: For because I've never seen a Sean Baker movie before this. I really should, It's on my bucket list. But like, was this did this stand out as like like better than a lot of his other movies or is it like kind of on par.
Speaker 1: I I think I like it the most out of his films, but did just feel like to me, it didn't feel like the like evolution. It's just like, oh, this is the best version of that. It's kind of similar like Tarantino. Maybe, you know, we're like at least with like Django. Reason I loved so much because it was something a bit different obviously he was riffing on spaghetti westerns, but it was different than you know, or even in Gloria's Bastards. People could make that case right, like it was a time set airpiece. But I think it's just like the best of the films he's directed. But they're, like I said, in each film he usually has a person that's an actor that's not an actor that's in a big role. They're very wordy, character driven in lots of like like I won't say weird, but situations like this where they're not common day. There's a lot of sex workers stuff. So it's similar to like QT, where he hits like on a lot of similar themes. So to me, it wasn't like, oh man, this is like a massive step from what he's doing, but still great. So okay, all right, and finally we got Best Picture. The nominations are A Nora, The Brutal List, A Complete Unknown, Conclave, Dune Part two, Amelia Perez, I'm Still Here, Nickel Boys, The Substance, and Wicked, which is crazy out of all these like the Nickel Boys nowhere like anywhere else, Like usually it's like all these all these pictures, like all of them have somewhere, like whether it's a writing or a makeup if they have something, but Nickel Boy says literally nothing and anywhere else. It's kind of crazy to think about. But April, you're starting of off, what would be your want? What would be your your pick?
Speaker 2: My want would probably be the substance. But I think is gonna take it.
Speaker 1: I think is going to take it all right, Manny, what about you? I think I know your want?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my want would be Dune part two, and my vote would be an aura as well.
Speaker 1: Right right now, Mike, I think I know your your want as well. But what's your official pick?
Speaker 5: Want is wicked, and my pick is can we just do the Oppenheimer's sweep again? Or do we try and be different? That's the question, because it really is either an aura or the brutalist. I don't think anything else is even coming close to it.
Speaker 1: At one point I thought, Dune, I don't know how to chance, but at least a chance to be like a runner. But that's that's gone. I guess people always throw up your wicked though as a spoiler. Though, people, I think that's like the third. If it's not those two, it's wicked.
Speaker 5: So I feel like if that was gonna happen, we would have gotten hints from that. In another the John and Chu director went at the critics choice that I was wild even though I can believe that, But I was happy for it.
Speaker 1: Tonight with sag though, because they have the best cast nomination right, like the ensemble one which Anora is in there because it's I can't remember who it is, but yeah, it's like Wicked Conclave complete unknown and Noora, so you. I do think it's going to do.
Speaker 5: Well at SSY. It's the actors, so they're like a lot more like the theater kids, and Wicked is a total theater kid thing. I think Granny is gonna win there too. Personally, that's the night you guys said night on Netflix.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's in is that? Is it that way in America for you? April? Yeah, yeah, I watched the last year. It was great because last year they could swear. They're very loose like the breaks like it because I don't think they took many breaks. It's like the Oscars but no commercials. It's it was a fun show last year.
Speaker 3: That when Pedro was drunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like to me, it's like the best version of the Globes and the Oscars put together. It's just like, I think it's also really chill because it's like there's some directors, but it's mostly just actors, so it's like just you know, so.
Speaker 3: Relaxing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so uh yeah, but we's not going again because we could for good on next year.
Speaker 1: So if.
Speaker 5: I am, I am, We'll see. Although that's me saying that knowing that the second part is not as good as the first part, so that there could be something's happening. I'm gonna be boring and go with an Aura. I feel like it has the ground swell. It's uh ken yeah, yeah, No, I'll go with the North. Like it's pure stats, dude, Like there's been that stats where it's.
Speaker 1: Like the winner of the DJ and the PJA and all like whatever it was and like the only Best Picture win I can't remember the third one. It was it Writers Maybe it was Writers is something, but either way, it won like all these top awards, right, and it was like the stat was the only Best Picture nomine to win all these awards and not win Best Picture. Was broke back down and we talked about the discord word to me, that was just clearly because the times like that was the year crash one and everyone looks as like a bad winner. I think that was just people were not ready to vote for something that was very positive, Like the movie is not possible because I mean there's best stuff. I mean like it's putting issues to the forefront, and it's centered around a very upfront gay relationship. It's not like, oh yeah, it's like there's full on sex scenes. They're making out the whole time. They're partially telling each other they love one another, like it's right up in your face. And I think back then it was too much for certain people to vote for. And I think in retrospect, if you were rerun those oscars, I think broke back wins and like for a landslide, you know, so it's it's fun to look at that. But I think with the no, which I was surprised right because I think it's a little bit of the brutalist, was that early front runner and that kind of people like eh. And then I remember there was that anonymous which again it's only a few voters, but like there's two those variety every year they put it like their nonmalness like voters ballot and like some people share their thoughts, and they had shared their thoughts like oh, many people said they didn't finish The Brutalist because it.
Speaker 3: Was too long.
Speaker 1: One I don't think The brutaliss is like I know it's three twenty, but like like I watched Endgame last week. I know it's different, but I think I have watched like Lord of the Rings, like if it's a good movie, it's not too long. And to me, that's just like that's people saying that maybe that wasn't a good movie, that they didn't enjoy enough, that they felt while they were watching, like, oh, this is too long. I do think The Brutalist is too long because there's just stuff in the first act I would cut because I think they hit on the themes and I think they just keep hidden on them over and over. It's like, okay, I kind of get that. And then even the second act I enjoy, but I think there's some pacing issues there. But the Brutalists, Yeah, I did. Really, I'll say I enjoyed it a lot. Really enjoyed sounds like an over complication. I think it's a film that I respect more than enjoy I think it's very well made and I could see it winning. But I just think a lot of people when they because the way the Oscars do their voting, it's that it's I'm pretty sure it's that ranking of the best pictures. You don't go in there and just like here's my vote, it's Dune. I think it's the ranking of like ranked the one to ten and I feel like a NOR. For a lot of people, it's a lot of two and three's. I bet it's a lot like I don't think a NOR ranks oh for people we're brutalists. If someone does think it's too long, I can see someone be like, yeah, that's number eight, that's number nine, where Nor. I think it's always going to get a one to three spot because it's just it's an enjoyable movie. I think even myself that I don't laugh as much as other people the second act, like I love the first act, love the third act, and it's still a really good time, like I'll enjoy watching again, where same thing with Dune. Maybe people feels too heavy. Amelia Perez like gone there for a reason, So I don't know where that would rank.
Speaker 4: I completely brutalist, like the second half piecing, I felt it as well. It's also like there's there's some dark stuff happening over and over again. But for me, the first half I watched it, I watched it pretty smoothie, and the second half I felt like the piecing was a bit off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what stuff like Wicked that get out there. That's where I think stuff like the substance where it hurts it because I think anybody that's not horror right away just puts that at like the bottom, like even if they haven't seen it or they watch a bit of it, I think right away they just go all boom, I'm not going to put it there. So that's why Actually I don't like the the that type of that's why we don't do because I think you should vote for the best and go from there.
Speaker 5: But I actually think that for some reason that with the ranking system, I feel like that would help the conclave more because yeah, I get this suspicion that that's like everyone's second or third favorite movie of the bunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that would be my like ranking these like I think like where, because uh, where's keep losing it? Like I would have I would have Dune at the top yea and then yeah, I have dune substance and then a noora and then conclave say that it'd be my top four. So and I could see people having it higher than the substance, like than I would write and everything, so but yeah, so yeah, I'll fish to pick a noora. I'll be boring maybe the bral skeets that we'll see, so uh yeah, I think there's a couple categories. We'll have to take some swing votes on here. We'll see what Clay and Haancy submit as well for these and anybody else. Again, you got you until I'll say Oscar two pm. I'll say Oscar afternoon. If you're in the discord or you want to join this during this record, we have an Oscar channel. You can go in there and I'll add you to these Oscar Google doc here that we have and then yeah, the winner will select a movie and then on the next afternoon we'll do a segment where we like we did the NFL review it and talk about anything is on the board. So if you want to make a Mattie watch the Holiday special again, you know you'll have to do it.
Speaker 3: Choosing the winning movie this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're choosing winning me. Well there you go. Well yeah, well, thank you guys for joining because this is always fun, way more fun than doing alone, so I appreciate it. And then I'll be excited for Oscar Sunday when we'll be in the chat and everything and reacting everything, so we'll be there. Yeah, thank you very much. You guys have good rest of your weekend. Were listening