Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's Jack. I just wanted to talk to you today about a way that you can help support the podcast if you're not already to support the channel is to become a Patreon member. So we have Patreon memberships that start at just five dollars a month, and when you sign up, you get access to all of our episodes add free. That's the big bonus for that. I mean, we also do some Patreon bonus episodes for our subscribers, but this is the biggest and best way that you can support the Teamhouse channel and podcast if you'd like to, and we really appreciate that, So go and check us out at patreon dot com. Slash the Teamhouse.
Speaker 2: Special Operations Cobert ask me and I the Team House with your hopes, Jack Murphy and David Park Episode two and ninety nine. I'm Dave Park.
Speaker 3: Jack is out right now we welcome our special guest, your Iyah Pot. Thanks for being here right, came all the way up to see us.
Speaker 2: Deeply appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Real quick, I'm gonna bang out our sponsor for tonight.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you guys first, I am a very hot sleeper, like a miserably hot sleeper. I wake up my pillows soaking wet.
Speaker 3: I have to have a fan on me if it's not at least sixty eight sixty five degrees. But if you sleep pot at night like I do, you know just how disruptive it could be. Whether you're having trouble falling asleep, you're waking up sweating in the middle of the.
Speaker 2: Night, or all the above. That's where Ghostbed can help.
Speaker 3: As the makers of the coolest beds in the world, Ghostbed is your go to for cooling mattresses, cooling pillows, and even cooling bedding. From their singure a ghost ice fabric to patented technology that just with your body temperature, every ghost Bed mattress is designed with cooling in mind.
Speaker 2: So whether you want.
Speaker 3: A plusure mattress that cushions your shoulders and hips, or a firmer option with exceptional support, your ghost Bed will keep you cool and comfortable all night long. When you purchase a Ghostbed mattress, your comfort is guaranteed. You can try out your mattress for one hundred and one night's risk free and make sure it's the right fit for you. Plus, they offer free shipping and most items ship within twenty four hours. If you are not sure which ghost bed is for you, check out their mattress quiz. You'll answer a few questions and get your personalized recommendation. Or reach out to the friendly team of sleep experts for all you need. Even better, Teamhouse listeners can get fifty percent off site wide for a limited time. That's fifty percent off site wide. Just visit ghostbed dot com slash house and use code house at checkout. Again, that's go sped dot com with the code house at checkout and say a wopping fifty percent off. So guys, go check them out. Yeah, they've got a lot of great stuff. Back to you, all right, thank you so much for being here. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: No, no, thank you.
Speaker 3: So you know, we like to start this story off with your story, your origin story.
Speaker 2: How did you grow up and what led you into the military. Oh, so that's a that's going way back. So I was.
Speaker 4: I was born in a small town in Jasper called Jasper, Indiana. It's right next to French Lick, Indiana. If anybody knows Larry Bird. Okay, so Larry Birds from French Lick. Jasper's a little small town right beside of that. Grew up in a trailer next to my grandmother's house until that burned down. My my mom and dad ended up splitting up, and my mom moved to Florida and I went to beauty school where she met my current father and they got married. And then my dad joined the army shortly after, I think around in nineteen eighty two, and so so he joined, had some had some had some other siblings, so I got some brothers. Went to high school in Fort Knox, So I kind of grew up around the military. It's a long way to say I grew up around the military. That's really all I knew. So my father was in, his father was in, and so I really didn't know anything else. I grew up in the DoD school system, so a lot of folks may not know what that is, but the government actually has high schools non military installations. And so I went to Fort Knox High School and then we moved to Hawaii. My scene your years. So my dad was a drill startant on Fort Knox. Then he became a warrant officer and then went to the twenty fifth Infantry Division in Hawaii, and I graduated high school and then after high school, I wanted to do something, so I enlisted in the army. So that's the reader's digest version of how I went from just basically a kid growing up around the military, and then that was the thing that seemed like it was the right thing to do, or the things that everybody was doing.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure that your dad had Oh maybe he didn't, But did he have like like strong opinions about what you should do in the army, like what the best jobs would.
Speaker 2: Be or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Not really actually, probably like most I'll say, well, I don't want to generalize, but I'll speak for myself because I got three sons who have all served. They didn't want me to go in the military. The actually wanted me to go to school, and I didn't want to go to school. I wanted to get out of the house, you know. I think my general it was all about not staying at home. It was about getting out of the house as soon as possible, and the military was the way to go. I my dad actually swore me in, so that was pretty cool. He was a warn officer. He actually swore me in. He Uh. They had just moved to Germany and from Oklahoma, as he was finishing warn officer school and I had to fly to Germany. I did my the MEPs process in Oklahoma, flew to Germany. He swore me in and I enlisted to be a I think at the time it was called the ninety one Bravo. It wasn't a healthcare specialist. I think it was. It wasn't a combat medic. I think it was like a medical specialist. That's where it was. It was a medical specialist. I think everything was called a specialist at the time, so it was a medical specialist. So a field medic. And I think he actually wanted to be a field medic but ended up being a field artillery men. So they didn't have any issues with it. And and I had selected at the time used to be able to pick station A Choice, and I had just got to Hawaii and finished high school and Hawaii was pretty cool. So I signed up for Station A Choice. That's the option I picked, and I went back to Hawaii.
Speaker 2: So what year was this that you en listened? So I enlisted in ninety six, ninety six?
Speaker 3: And what was it about being a medic or medicine that it appealed to you?
Speaker 4: I wish I had a good story. It was it was the best choice of what was offered, right, you know, you got used to when you go to MEPs, they give you that print out and there was like four or five jobs on it and like you know, patroleum supplies specialists, like a lot of things that really didn't really sound great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: It sounded pretty good and it allowed me to get station of choice. So I picked that, and I'm actually glad I did. I fell in love with, you know, medicine, and I'm doing that still to this day.
Speaker 3: So so you go out to be a medic at a twenty fifth ID, No.
Speaker 4: So I initially started out at Tripler, Okay, So yeah, I got double lucky, right, I got Hawaii and then ended up in a hospital. And for anybody who served pre Gwatt, not everybody was excited about going to a field unit. Yeah, like because you were going to do field stuff and going to the field was not a cool place to be. Maybe it is now, but back then it kind of wasn't.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 4: Went to a hospital, ended up being a er medic and got to learn a lot, had some great mentors there who I'd later go back and serve.
Speaker 2: With so I did that.
Speaker 4: But I did get a chance to go to twenty fifth like halfway through my tour there because it's an overseas tour, So I volunteered for an exchange program and then went to become a light infantry medic. So I switched units, went up to the twenty fifth, did twenty fifth things, go to Ariosoult School there and and I've got to be a field medic and get to learn what digging in a fighting position is. And digging a straddle trench in the red clay dirt with an e tool wasn't really cool, but I imagine experience.
Speaker 2: I imagine that pre Gyt.
Speaker 3: I worked at Balboa for a very short period of time in the ear there, and I think that you know, pre Gyt, it was. It was a pretty cool place for a medic because you've got to do a lot of things that you know that somebody that's somebody that was like an EMT B and probably in any EMTP in some cases wouldn't get an opportunity if you had doctors that were really into teaching, you know, they'd teach you how to throw shooters, they teach you like tons of stuff.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent I can distinctly remember. So when I transitioned, I exactly that. I had a doc who taught us like things like, uh, you know, shoulder reductions, when you put a shoulder out, that'll come into play doing uh yeah, just doing like in gtubes. You know, I got do CPR. You know, I got to do CPR and people who were in cardiac arrest, I got to sew people up, got to learn how to shoot your So you're you're exactly right. When I transitioned up to the twenty fifth, we had a guy they're doing like squad X of ols and you know, out in the field out at East Range, and one of the guys had threw his shoulders out, and like I got to be the I got to be the hero. So I like I learned sheet maneuvers on how to like kind of strap them down and reduce the shoulder and you know, put it back in place. And the guy got to ride all the way back from East Range with his shoulder end socket versus out, which would have been painful as hell, bump right into a bumpy humbee all the way back. I'd been a long ride. And so so yeah, I learned a lot of I got to cut my teeth there in the er, and and I kind of attribute a lot of that initial learning and just the passion for being like a good medic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: I would also say that there's probably no experience like a military er on pay day Fridays.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, especially in Hawaii and Marines, so you got marine based Connie. So I actually uh, I actually used to do the uh. I volunteered in the er to do the the midnight. It was a swing shift, so I got to have I think it was like Sunday, Mondays and tuesdays off, So I worked I think seven at night till seven in the morning on those days. So it was all the action.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like and then Hawaii has a pretty large homeless population, and so you get to kind of I don't want.
Speaker 2: To put this in the it's not a negative at all.
Speaker 4: You actually get to work and take care a lot of homeless vets, and so I actually appreciated talking to them. It's kind of sad, you know, you'd get these routine homeless vets in and you kind of get to know them right at one instance, it's frustrating because you're like, oh, mister, such and such as here again, you know, but then on the other instance, you're like, how did this guy I can always remember, I mean to this day, it's like amazing, I can remember this, you know almost you know, twenty five years ago. But it's like, how did this guy who was at four to five in the navy is now homeless downtown like he and it? You know, I always wondered that, like where in life? Where what? And in their life that this is now where they're at, right, And so you know, it's just give them haircuts, give them bass. You know, wasn't too proud to do thatangnous diabete giving their banana bags, right because most of them were you know, they were alcoholics. So you'd kind of give them a banana bag and get them rehydrated in do the best you could with them for a couple hours you had with them.
Speaker 2: And and you.
Speaker 4: Know, hindsight, they were probably doing it just to that social dynamic. It's like it was probably good for them. But they did that even though it was frustrating for us, it was probably good for them. And it's probably good for us that we did that for them. And we got to see, you know that what potential life can be like you know, so for sure.
Speaker 3: So so you do your hospital time, you do a swap, you go to the infantry, and what was that like for you during a peacetime military.
Speaker 2: So it was it was exactly that.
Speaker 4: It was a lot. There's some things were fun, right, like road marches and things like that, just just pre I don't know if a lot of folks nowadays, you know, can relate to a garrison military, you know. I just you know, talking with d about that a little bit earlier, just like a garrison military wasn't necessarily a fun thing to experience if you were looking for excitement. I think that's a little bit of where we're at a little bit with some of our forces today. But yeah, I was just going to the field very routine. As a medic. You're in an infantry unit, you're laying out all your medical chest and you're inventoring, and you're usually doing that at the end of the day because you're sitting around in the barracks people playing video games, waiting for the platoon starting to tell you what are you going to do today? Right right? And then they wait after the first start information to come in and say we need this done right and and I don't I don't know if people still go through that today, but it was frustrating, and shit, you got all these guys sitting around the AD station like, all right, what are we gonna do? Hopefully to start and tell us what we're gonna do pretty soon and that's usually like it was just task right, you just taking care of stuff, vehicle maintenance like motorpool Monday. Yeah, yeah, you know all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And what was what was like T Triple C like at that point in time, And what kind of training were you guys getting from like your doctors at the clinic and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: It was non existent, right, Yeah, so back then it was oh man, what was the I think it was like at.
Speaker 2: LS ALS ATLS protocols.
Speaker 4: So two large ivs combat life favorite thing that was the combat It was like two leaders of fluids and some pseudo fed motrin, some ace wraps, all hospital grade equipment packed in a little trifold bag. And so yeah, there wasn't you did get mentorship. Actually, the pas at that time were still embedded in the AID station. It's no longer like that now. The Army medical system has changed. It I think this throughout the services, they've actually changed that dynamic, like aid station medicine isn't a thing anymore. I think they're trying to go back to it. I'm a little bit dated. They may have gone back to it. So your PA actually mentored your medics, but the practices of what was learned from the lessons, and I think Mogadishu and some of those times haven't they weren't doctrinihilized, so those committees hadn't came together, so you were still learning just old fluid resuscitation protocols. It was still field dressing, pressure dressing, then a stick tourniquet because there was no such thing as a cat tourniquet. Then it was a dow rod, a gatorade bottle top and cravat was your tourniquet that you made and kept in your aid bag. So but there's still was mentorship. So every I think it was like when the PA had to do their time at the TMC, you would maybe get selected, you know, like uh, I think there's around thirty to forty medics that are broken down between Evacuation Treatment squad and then your ALIGNE medics, and uh, the PA would pick you and bring you over to the clinic and you would do sick call the folks who were referred to the tmt TMC From sick call. You'd go over there and get to see patients and do vitals and do some minor procedures to toenail's hemorrhoids. You know, ye, all of those type of minor procedures.
Speaker 2: So but your soap notes fre on point right.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yes, So after after your time in the with the twenty fifth, what what was next for you?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: Yes, so my tour was up, getting close to the end. It's time to my re enlist.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I had my first three years and so went to the retention NCO and there wasn't a lot of stuff that was offered, and I wanted to try something else. So they had different asis, additional skill identifiers medics could get and so a surgical tech. So I actually liked doing the minor procedure stuff. So I went and did an ASI to be a surgical tech. Ahead next surgical tech. Very unsexy job. There's only like at the time, I think there was ninety of them in the whole inventory. I went to school to do that went back to Fort Sam graduated from that and then got stationed at Fort Lewis and so was stationed at Fort Lewis as a head and neck surgical tech. And that was kind of like the beginning, I would say, of my soft exposure. So I was working there at the first I was Yeah, so I was actually at old Madigan, okay, if not the New Madigan. And you know, the Rangers would rotate through and the first some of the first group prays and one sixtieth medics would rotate through, and so it was like, oh, this is you know, this is pretty cool. You know these guys are you know, they're doing field medical stuff. And you know they would you know, talk about it and talk about their job a little bit, and it was you kind of just you know, rumor mill. You know, Hey, there's cool guys doing cool things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: And and so as a young I think at the time, i'd maybe turned you know, I was in my early really early twenties, maybe twenty one or something like that. And so, so yeah, and the and I wasn't really liking that job, to be quite honest, And so I didn't stay at Fort Lewis very long and at the time, my dad had gotten orders to go to Third I D. And so I think I either did an extension or a short re enlistment for that school. And so I I think I either forty eighty seven or something and got to go to Third ID or I got to go to Win because I was still a surgical tech. And that is actually let me rewind g y nine to eleven happened. That's while you were at That's what happened. Okay, So nine to eleven happened while I was at Madigan and I was actually in PHDLS class. I distinctly remember it. Everybody remembers at Paspitty. Yes, So I was at a little training education facility and we're all in a room, and that's what happened. Had some I think I had a couple of rangers in the class, a couple ranger medics in the class with me, and we're going through our PHDLS because I think those there was like three courses you had to maintain to get maintain your six ninety one Bravo uh MS qualification. And uh so they put on the TV like probably every unit did in the army or in the service, you know, or like everybody in the world probably you know what I mean. The United States had their TV on and uh we were watching it live and I was like, wow, I remember the Rangers instantly had to go back.
Speaker 2: They left class.
Speaker 4: And we man, you just sparked this memory. I forgot about it. We end up doing gate guard detail. They put it, what was it, like the threat Con Delta or whatever. I think all posts went to like threat Con Delta. We got issued, you know, I think it was like one magazine with it. May have had been you may have got thirty rounds.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: And everybody was on gate guard duty. We're doing gate guard duty rotations and so yeah, so that's nine to eleven. I want to be part of that. So and I think everybody did. And so my dad had just gotten orders to third I D.
Speaker 2: Every day I was in.
Speaker 4: It wasn't really a critical MOS, you know, and it wasn't it's not even a deployable MS. So they've gotten rid of a lot of the non deployable the a SI, the a SI non deployable A Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if that locked you in.
Speaker 4: It did, and so yeah, so that's actually how I went to the Special Operations medic program.
Speaker 2: So so I was.
Speaker 4: In this non deployable MOS. I'll just fast forward it for the sake of time. I get to third I D. My dad. I think he was the Division Targeting officer third I D at the time, he was on the initial push into Iraq, and I wanted to go. So I went to my CSM at the hospital because they were pulling people out of the hospital to fill so all the you know, soldiers were on profile or something and couldn't go in the line units they would won for one of them, so they would take medics out of the hospital fill the line, and then you know, people were were going over.
Speaker 2: So this is around the two thousand and three time frame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is you know, fast forward a little bit. Yeah, so yeah, around two thousand Yeah, when yeah, whenever they pushed, he was actually there a little bit earlier. I think he was doing something in Kuwait or something, and then they they maybe they knew they were already going to push them over. And so I went to my CSM and I was like, hey, I want to deploy, and he was like, no, go back to your clinic, right, and so you know, I was like, well, this this sucks, and so I mean it was it was crazy. I can I can remember like a full rotation of medics got pulled out of the hospital had came back, and you know they're telling their stories of war, right, this is like this is the fret. You know. I grew up and I joined the garrison military, or at least for the most part, some folks were still doing things. But for the for the large part, people weren't really doing much.
Speaker 2: So I called no what.
Speaker 4: I put a one sixtieth packet in and at the time, I was, I think a pretty good soldier. I promoted really fast. I made E five in Hawaii in two years. I had already went to the board and won like Soldier of the Year stuff like that, into our n CEO of the year, and so I made E six really fast. So I got promoted really fast, and so I put a one sixtieth packet in and I remember they had a you know, they had some pretty season medics because they were just getting back from the initial stuff in Afghanistan, and they were like, you're an E six, my E fours. Well, I'll never forget the phone call. And because they actually gave me the courtesy of a phone call, and they're like, you got a great packet and you know you high pt and all that stuff, but my ri e fours will run circles around you. We need people who grow up in the unit. And so so I called branch up and I was like, hey, I need to do whatever I need to do so I can like deploy and be a part of this. And they're like, well, we got this new thing. Have you heard of civil Affairs? And at the time, of course, I'd never heard of civil affairs and so I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 4: And they're like, well, you'll have to go to Special Operations medic course to do it. And I was like, okay, that that sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was kind of wanting to do that anyways, and so so they're like, okay, well we'll put you on orders and and send you to SOCCAM and I was like, I was like perfect. And so because I had won like n CEO of the Year, I got I like what I asked to go to Airborne School because they were like, you know, you're kind of representing the command and they give you like, hey, what what can what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Some fun this little tree. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that so I, you know, got to go to I had been to airborne school and like the basic like cool guy badge stuff for like the conventional military, and so so I went to soccerm So I went to soccam as an E six and then you know, I did a full you know, the full back then it was still a six month course. Right now I believe it's nine unless it's changed. And then additionally, if you went through the Civil Airs program, was another three months of like their qualification course. And so made that through no issues, you know, because like like you said, you know, my time as an E R medic, I was a I felt it was a pretty good medic and I didn't really you know, didn't have a lot of like issues, and and made it, made it through the program.
Speaker 2: And then I got to the unit at Bragg.
Speaker 4: So at the time it was only one battalion. It was the ninety sixth Civil Fairs Battalion.
Speaker 2: It had all been guard up unto that point, right, no.
Speaker 4: So, yes and no, so ninety five percent of the force was was I believe reserve.
Speaker 2: Okay, I believe reserve.
Speaker 4: There was one active battalion there were ninety six. It was on brag It was right by the GB clubs, right in the right behind there there's one building and there was what was there Alpha through Foxtrot Company, and every company had an uh a geographic area of responsibility. So when I got there, I got Echo Company. So Echo Company was kind of unique. Echo Company was the SMU support company, so they were the ones who supported Jasock taskings and the rangers. And so when I in process, you know, everybody meets the CSM at the time, and so I went up and uh we you know, we like everybody. And so that was two thousand and four. We thought we were going to miss the war, right, everybody thought they were going to miss the war. And so the CSM was like, hey, I have a spot, I need a medic and Echo Company and so me and my good good friend of mine, but you guys got a deploy like in four days, can you be ready? And we're like.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we men, you get my affairs in order and done. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so yeah, so that was that was that was pretty interesting. So so that now I've told you my backround, right, so.
Speaker 3: So real good because you go through the SOCCAM and for people who might not know that's the trauma portion. For special operations, I think even SF, that's their trauma portion. They go off and do the rest of their veterinarian and hospital and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But for civil affairs, you guys have a mission.
Speaker 3: It's very similar I think to the SF right so to the SF mission because you guys do need to know how to test water and and do things more, you know, outside of trauma. So was there additional medical training for you guys for like that portion of it being like a medical support on top of the trauma stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, so what Yeah, so I would say that we complement, right, So we are you know, kind of like this a support element that brings a capability to uh to A to an ODA. And so the training we go back through their dental block. Okay, So we went through their dental block, their veterinary block, and then we had our own that was our own blocks that were field sand heavy. So it's all about you had to go through food inspection. You go learn how to like kill an animal and prep it and then inspect food and then a lot of field sand and then water purification.
Speaker 2: So it's yeah, it's taught at the time.
Speaker 4: It was actually taught by a Sierra sixty eighth Sierra, which is a prevented med specialist, and so it was it was all once you did those blocks, we're learning how to work with animals and basically pulling people's teeth and things like that. The dental blocks, then you got the field sand blocks and so yeah, so those are some of the things that you can kind of complement and help a team out with, right, A lot of the rapport building.
Speaker 3: Right, So for people who might not be aware of it, can you tell us what civil affairs is, why, why it's under so calm or you know, what's their mission?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, so caveat.
Speaker 4: If I'm doing a disservice, just know it's my recollection of it. So what we did is, I would say what we best did because my first mission was actually a regional mission with an ODA, so I was attached to a seventh Group, I believe with seventh groups first rotation into Afghanistan, I believe, And so what we do is kind of maintain freedom of maneuver and expand the maneuver area through At that point, it was I think a lot of like counterinsurgency stuff, right, it's like the civil affairs folks work with like, so let's just like counterin certaincy, right, you got your your your pro people ten percent, your hardliners other ten percent, and then I guess, to make this simple eighty percent in the middle, right, So what our job was to kind of work with the ODA to kind of gain rapport with that eighty percent in the middle and push those towards the pro side. And so really that's what you do. And there's a lot of so things you bring to the table, humanitarian assistants, medcaps, vets, caps, just partner you know, it's like nation building stuff, kind of the other regional aspect of it.
Speaker 2: But really you're just they're small teams. People may not know that. So they're a cat a team.
Speaker 4: Is what I was on is a for man team that used to have It's not like this anymore. That's it's a important is distinction. I guess my generation of being on a civil affairs team. So you had a medic, an engineer, a weapons guy who was eleven bravo, and then you had an officer and so time my tenure there is when basically SF needed all the SF guys back because that battalion was all SF guys and they were pushing them back out to the team. So they were usually your older kind of long in the two guys, very experienced guys, or just maybe they were hurt or something, so they would they would end up in the Civil Affairs battalion, so they need to go back. So they basically took a bunch of rangers from Ranger Battalion. So Echo Company had a lot of rangers from Ranger Battalion where they were typically your team startant and then you had a lot of eighty second engineers and then medics that they were generating medics through the course because I think we were, like I think I was in the second class or third class of medics that are being recruited to basically push the deltas back out to the teams.
Speaker 2: There's very few Deltas left in the.
Speaker 4: Battalion, and then we were backfilling them. So I don't know if I got to the answer your question. It's a roundabout way they're.
Speaker 3: So what I'm taking away from it is that Civil affairs is, you know, we talk about special forces being hearts in mind, civil affairs is really kind of the backbone of that.
Speaker 2: Hearts and mind.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of the civilian engagement and in the counterinsurgency strategy, it's the idea to win over the population and help create that sort of area denial, not necessarily through force, but through through goodwill building exactly.
Speaker 2: And so I think where we come in.
Speaker 4: And I can remember at the time they were talking about the phases of opera military operations, so going from phase three combat operations to phase four, which is I think support and stability. So that's kind of that transition from combat operations to support and stability. It's kind of the nation rebuilding, establishing government, governments and things like that. So you're exactly right. So that's kind of honestly, we thought that's what we were phasing. We were going into phase I can remember that as people because I don't think you get a combat patch, you know, you know, a shoulder sleeve insignia if you're in phase four of operations. I think you have to be in phase three. Interesting, and I can remember because I get worried about that.
Speaker 2: That was like, that was a thing. I believe, I understand, I understand why.
Speaker 4: And it's it's it's it's funny because I can remember the seventh I can remember, so we were attached to UH. I think it was seven two three. I could be wrong, but a lot of those guys so they were getting there. You know, those guys were their army guys. There were all boy scouts at the end the day, right, collecting like badges and and flair, and they were worried about it. And like I can remember, like the guys who didn't get a CIB yet, they were like, like, we need to like get into something.
Speaker 2: Right, we right, get somebody shoot at us? Yeah, yeah, let's just drive down this road and see what happens. It's like moving the contest. Yeah, let's let's recombin.
Speaker 4: High so so yeah, And if you remember Afghanistan at that time, you know, like you know, I did a lot of time. Well I guess a lot of time is relative, but I did I think five tours four or five tours there at that time in two thousand and four. It's a highlux pickup truck, two dudes and four Afghans and you're driving for three hours. You know, that's unheard of, I think later on, but it was relatively a I would call it permissive to semi permissive environment, and so a lot of people they've never seen you before, and you know you're there. So as a civil affairs guys, you've got goodies to hang out. Coats, backpacks, engineer kids, school supplies, soccer.
Speaker 2: Balls, yeah, you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: You know it is. And you're going out with the ODA too because they're you know, they're trying to maintain their maneuver. Well, yeah, yeah, there's a.
Speaker 3: There's a no I get it though, but yea, yeah exactly. I mean it's one of those things where if you don't use it, you lose it, right, If you're not getting out there and actually controlling and showing presence, then encroachment, encroachment happens, and and things.
Speaker 4: Like that and if and like again, like back in that we were still handing out the green matches with the picture of Osama bin Laden on it, like asking everybody if they knew hre Islama had been Laden was like probably everybody else, right, right, And so it's you know, it's that period of time where they're like, no, we don't know who that dude is, but can we have some jackets?
Speaker 2: So I have to ask you this because it's kind of funny to me.
Speaker 3: And you know, like you say, a lot of civil fairs used to be made up of long in the tooth, you know, SF guys who had a lot of experience, you know, working with indigenous cultures, doing foreign internal defense, things like that, and then they need those guys back, understandable, and so they backfilled them with rangers in eighty second who probably aren't known for their civilian engagement, you know, strategies.
Speaker 2: How did that all work out? So I think it.
Speaker 4: I think because we didn't have a lot of seasoned fighters, like to our people were seasoned combat veterans. Maybe that's a better way to say it's seasoned veterans. It was all new to all of us. And I actually didn't go to the qualification course till between my first and second deployment, so I didn't get school trained. I'd been through the mos portion of it, but then you had to go through like the Swich portion of it, the schoolhouse portion, And so I think you understood that you were trying to like make these people your friend at the end of the day, and so some of it comes, I would say, a bit naturally, you know, and at that time period, they weren't really aggressive towards us.
Speaker 3: So you can still get on the Chicken Street or whatever and buy buy rugs or buy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: So it was just I think, a different time, and so I think that at least I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 4: It didn't seem to be an issue. It didn't seem it didn't seem to be an issue. And I never I didn't think, you know, SATs, because we had like my team sergeant was a I think he was a first battalion ranger and he had already deployed with the with the battalions to Afghanistan, and I didn't expe aperience guys who were just overly aggressive wanting to like not do their task right and try to like get it on. Yeah, And so you know, it just seemed to I guess, you know, we're discovery learning. It's like learning a new job.
Speaker 3: It's kind of fun when you're doing that though, because you also like there's not an overbearance of leadership at that point in time.
Speaker 2: You're kind of creating your own missions. You know that nobody is sitting there with their thumb on you. So really, whatever you guys come up with, like that's your Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: And and you know, like I've had con op parties and I remember the pain of conops and getting improved. But you're exactly right. Then it was just like, hey, where are we going to go tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, And we would go somewhere almost every day. Yeah, and just drive, you know, go to the next place, go to the next place. So yeah, it was really just like where what we seen of value being nested with their plans and their objectives, the oda's plans, and just trying to support them the best we could.
Speaker 2: And to to to kind of just really develop the area, because I think that's the other component.
Speaker 3: So at this point in time, since this is all fairly new, uh and not just you know, like the civil affairs. Civil affairs had been there, but did the did the ODA know how to best implement you guys or were you both learning together?
Speaker 4: I think we were learning together to be to be quite honest, I think that we was a little bit more natural from us than the SYOP guys. So they had a SIOP team attached as well, so they kind of had the full package. So you had I think they had their an intel team attached to them. They had a syop team and they had a civil affairs team, and we were all at Camp tice So and De ra Wu you know, down by Kandaheart and so I think with them they didn't really know how to implement them. You know, they were handing out their flyers and things like that at the time leaflet drops, right, yea. But for us it was a little bit more natural. I was a medic. There was only one medic they had split up. I think half of that oda went up to Cobra, and so I instantly gravitated. So I was a fairly senior and both great and experience as a medic at least, you know, because again the e R time helped me so instantly had a great senior eighteen delta who took me under his wing. And we did we just did a lot of you know, a lot of tailgate medicine, right, and then we ran campsit call right where folks can bring people in from all over and you get to see I mean, you get to see everything. So that trip I probably next to Iraq and next to the Surge. I practiced the most medicine. I'm I mean, we you know, we did a whole blood front transfusion. You know, one of the cooks from the cook we you know, Eldon carted him and we had an Afghan come in with from a a garden tool fight. So he had took a pick axe to the chest and so he needed he needed blood. We there, we weren't getting flights for him. That was the things they didn't end at that period of time. They didn't eve act these guys. You had to set so gunshots I got to do, you know, full repairs and put in drains, just things that are unheard of. I mean you're talking like surgeon physician level stuff. So you know, just a lot of mentorship. Burns, right, you remember all the burn the burn kids. We ran a burn clinic, so we got to learn about.
Speaker 2: You know, uh, ketamine use.
Speaker 4: That was the big thing. That's one of the biggest things. He had wrote some papers. Just a phenomenal eighteen delta who just really made the best of the time and experience and honing his skills and then taking me under my wing and or under his wing, and just we ran a great clinic there and uh just really we got to see a lot of things and experience a lot of things. I did my first field amputation.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's amazing. Yeah, I wanted to do another one.
Speaker 4: I probably it's probably good thing I didn't because the I remember the ODA commander. So this guy came in. I don't know, I think he got bit by a dog or something, but you could tell his leg was septic and I needed to go and I wanted to take his leg off, and the Odia Carener was like here right, I know, he's like if he dies here, that's a problem for me. So no, so we ended up didn't do that. But I another time a kid got his hand cut and a cotton a fan belt working on engine. It like so it's like a partial so I can no it had taken. It had taken like it was just a mess. It was a mangled mess. It kind of ripped everything away, So there's nothing you could do but basically complete it and just work through the joint space and then just kind of undermine the tissue and pull it, wrap it around and then kind of close it. And then I called up the the B team, you know where the the PA and doc were, and basically put him, you know, told him, taught him how to do wet to drys and put him uh broadbrand. You know, I think I forget what we gave him, like shots of rosephn or something, and and so just really got to do some some really some really great things, and then I.
Speaker 2: Got to learn some lessons.
Speaker 4: I remember this one time, this old lady came in with her ear in her hand and a dog had bitten her ear off, and so me, the great like suture person, I thought I could sew that back on, and so I get like it was beautiful too, like I had approximated all the edges perfectly and lined everything up like so did. And then the you know, the Jeremy came in and he's like, hey, man.
Speaker 2: What are you doing. I'm like, I'm sewing these ladies ear on it.
Speaker 4: He's like what And I had like the ear canal like I had, like, you know, both exteriorly and interior. He's like, dude, there's no blood supply to that.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: And so I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Okay. He's like, okay, do this.
Speaker 4: He's like take that back off and just take what left the skin and just close it up the best you can and then let me take a look at it when you're done. So I did that. But you know, so I got to like make some mistakes, I guess you could say so.
Speaker 2: Because of like the cartilage and what not, like there's no way to hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not at my skill right, and then not the post care right.
Speaker 2: So that's the other thing that's like a clastic surgeon level type of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's it's way beyond something I should do. But you know, that's all, that's all they had. And and even the guy whose hand he didn't he did. Man, he came back like he was supposed to come in daily for dressing changes is what we told him. We taught him how to do it like if he needed to, and he was supposed to come back and he did, and he came back infected and I think we had to put him on some more antibiotics too.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was just a great That trip.
Speaker 4: Was just a great, a great rate, a great trip that I honed my skills as being a field like a forward medic and getting to like do some extra stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you have any any funny stories from like the Tailgate Medicine, because I feel like when you would the like the village, like I don't know the right terminology. I don't remember anymore, but basically they had sort of witch doctors in a way, but it wasn't witch doctor, but but like some of their home remedies were were pretty bizarre.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean kind of the a lot of STDs treating oddly enough. Yeah, you know, you'd eventually tease it out. It's like it's burning when ipe, and so you know, then it's like you already had the pill packs like made up for him. Okay, here, here's your pill pack. And then I remember my team leader he was like taking a liking to it, and like we were running out of vitamins, so everybody wanted I think it was like vita Mina's I think that. I don't know if that translates to what it was, but they would ask for vita, they wanted vitamins, and so we would run out of vitamins because like we would just give them out. There's I mean, these were hundreds of people come in. They would be a line, like in the morning, there was a line ready to see us. And some of it was people just want something and understandably, and so my team leader wanted to get involved. So we like would make skittle bags for the people who wanted vitamins because we didn't have any, and we wanted to give them something. You know, you didn't want to just turn themway and to get away, you know, don't you don't have any nothing for you. So but yeah, I tell you one of the the funniest story that I have that's kind of connected to tailgate medicine. It's like you're going out to these villages and so I always kept a cargo pocket full of candy to give to the kids.
Speaker 2: And we were getting ready.
Speaker 4: To load up, and so I had reached in my cargo pocket and there's all these kids, like they're just all doing them.
Speaker 2: You do things with them.
Speaker 4: You'd be like, listen to the port you did, you know, put your hand, hands up, put your hands down, like practicing the language and stuff. And so I got I reached in the pocket. They've seen what was in my hand. So there's all these kids there, and some of these kids are holding kids babies.
Speaker 2: Right, because that was the other weird thing.
Speaker 4: You see like five year olds carrying a baby like that's not normal. So I throw the candy up in the air, right, So what happens They d they start dropping babies.
Speaker 2: There's all these babies falling in the rocks.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh man, what did I just do.
Speaker 3: You're a horrible human being.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: No. Yeah, so oh man, So that yeah, that was that was Yeah, that was pretty funny. Well it was. It was not funny, but it was like it was like, yeah, people were laughing, Yeah, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 3: It was on the babies like yeah they were yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So how long was that first deployment for you?
Speaker 4: So the first trip, I want to say it was an eighth I think it was an eight or nine month trip where the regional rotations. But I came in I think a month late. They needed to fill out the rest of the teams and we had graduated. That's why they needed medics in that company because they were already on over there. And so I think the first one was I think I ended up doing six or seven months.
Speaker 3: Okay, and so you come back and then you go through the Civil Affairs qualification course or the yeah.
Speaker 4: So then I yeah, so it came back, went to the qualification course and I think I went through seer. I think my team startant was like hey you need to go through SYR. So I went through c r C.
Speaker 3: And what was what was the civil affairs portion of that LIE because you'd already been through the medical portion, So what was this like Hearts and Minds Peace.
Speaker 4: It was a lot of for the I forget what they're called. It's a different mission set. So it's like it's more of the stuff. It's more of like the higher level where you're so like an embassy team. Okay, so later I did some an embassy team trip. So it's much more working with government governance and things like that, learning what a what a Bravo team does? You know what a cat be does and things like that or man, I forgot, I forget what the name of the teams are called. But essentially it's working directly with the embassy and learning how to engage with a functioning infrastructure. So if they have governance involved, here's how you integrate, here's the capability you provide. And so it was it was much more at the street i'd say sateg operational level, not really at the tactical level.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, So you know if that ever changed it all where they made it that where they created more of a tactical or at least added.
Speaker 2: Like the tactical curriculum to that. I don't know, but that's kind of it would be.
Speaker 4: I don't know where it's at today, to be quite honest. So it became it's a MOS. So that's we'll get to that portal story. But basically I had to leave civil affairs because they were becoming their owen own MOS, and you had a choice convert to a civil affairs MOS or leave that organization.
Speaker 3: And so would that would that have been like an eighteen delta in a way that it would have been a civil affairs MOS with like a medical.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: So essentially, just like it's an ASI, so it's a it's a thirty I believe it was a thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Bravo Civil Affairs sergeant.
Speaker 4: I think they were called and then you got I think I was a whiskey too, So we're whiskey ones or we were which is a sock them a special Operations combat medic and then the active component because they created other battalions, they were growing it because of the need of in Iraq and Afghanistan, they created their own MOS and then they I think the only thing specialized on the team. So that was the difference, is they still needed a medic, and the medic became a whiskey two and got to go to SOCCAM, and then the other ones were kind of generalists. And so I think that's what was the worry though. It's like, Okay, you had these guys who had hard skills, right, you had these combat engineers or Levin Bravos who you know, Victor identifiers and things like that. But now you got a mechanic or a whatever s one. You know, you have a human resources person going through this program. I have to believe they would for just the sake of being competent in an asset, they would have had to have figured out some program to get them tactical training.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do, there's but there's obviously, you know, there's no.
Speaker 2: There's there's.
Speaker 4: I don't know how they could replace the most institutional knowledge and the operational experience of eleven Bravo right right, You know, when you have an E seven with fifteen years as a guy and ranger of battalion, or even the eighty second for that matter, there's just basic principles of security that they know and when you're talking about small unit tactics, right, And I think that's where it got a little bit dangerous, and so they had to they've had to have have mitigated that liability.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it makes sense too, because you know, even though civil affairs isn't like a DA four, if you're out in the back country somewhere doing something in a semi permissive environment, at any point in time, that format element for a personal element may you know, may need to react to contact you know, or may need to and be good at it, good enough to you know, to at least if even with they're if they're with an a team, to not so slow the team down or you know, take care of their own.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think again, like so I transitioned before that started. But I think that probably you know, you asked me earlier about did they know how to utilize you. I think it was maybe easier for them because there's some credibility that comes with the background of Okay, I have the average time and service of you know, ten say eight to ten years or twelve years of being you know in battalion, right, being at least a SOCCAM program or at least a eighty second engineer, right, so they have their those skills, some hard skills if you will, right into like okay, now, well what did you do for that when you just graduated the course? Right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: So I think it may have been easier than for us to kind of to integrate with them.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you have a guy show up and he's wearing the Civil Affairs or you know, the you know so compacts or whatever, but he's got a scroll as a combat passion, it's like, okay, like or even with the eighty second, you know, if he's got a you know, a combat action badge with an eighty second, like, you look at them a little bit differently than just somebody who may have only come up through that to that pipeline.
Speaker 4: It and it's again not to take anything away from it with the and I'm sure there's you know, they've worked through that. I would have to believe that they would have to figure that out to mitigate the experience they lost from taking people because you got again and initially, like you said, started with people long in the tooth. Yeah, eighteen series guys and some of those guys like that were on our teams. You know, they I mean some of these guys they were I know, they were well over twenty years. They had twenty years of service as a eighteen whatever Charlie or whatever. And so now I got a ten year in service whatever. The engineer MOS used to be twelve Bravo or whatever VO. So okay, but the guy knows engineering, he knows demo and SIS stuff. Okay. Now I have someone who's went through used to be a whatever, right and went through a five week or whatever. The MOS. I don't know, maybe it's maybe it's a year, whatever it is. So I think that.
Speaker 2: It may have degraded.
Speaker 4: But it was the requirement you have to row, right, the army had to grow to be able to meet the demands and the requirements of two theaters of operations and the support requirements, because like we thought we were transitioning out of those places when you think in two thousand and eight, nine, ten, I mean they were they were talking about pulling out of those places in those that those time frames, and so you know, there was a lot of you know, in the surge, right, the surge happened in Iraq, and so it really kind of bloomed up the requirement. But but yeah, so I'm sure they figured that out.
Speaker 3: So so you do your first trip, you go and you do the civil Fiars training and now another trip to Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: Yep, so I did so. Yeah, so I did the first trip on a regional. Then that was my second trip. I was attacked. I think it was two seven five initially and then three seven five, and so we were they used to be directly attached to the ranger regimen, but then it kind of they peeled them away, like the early days of the were some of the first teams that were in they were I think directly attached. We were still attached, but now it was more you know, it's take on versus I forget like it.
Speaker 3: So, were there two separate chains of command then if you guys weren't directly attached.
Speaker 4: No, So that's the weird thing about seeing being a civil affairs guys and kind of the identity of you. Right, they're like you live always being attached to somebody else, right, So you're not with your company, especially on those on the tactical teams that were doing the the SMU support. Your your your four man team is directly attaching to whatever the rangers to see or whatever wherever Jaysock wants to put you. And so you are no, you're, you're. They have a tactical control of you. So you know the difference between take on and opcon. They can move you and do whatever they want to you, they just can't assign you somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I see, I see. So so how was that then? Had the Rangers already been working with civil fairs? Did they did they know how to best utilize you guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They yeah, And I'll describe what that was like. So working with them, you're pretty much or I'll say my experience, My experience was not a lot of stuff on target. You did every all of the cleanup.
Speaker 2: You're.
Speaker 4: My job was to go in and make things right. So that was it's actually pretty It was actually pretty dangerous at times, to be quite honest, because they had just hit a compound whatever, how many other people died, tore everything up, broke and everything. So my job was to go in with two other guys, you know, maybe maybe another humbye, so two trucks that we knew that was a good target, and then try to make it right. And you basically had a backpack pull of money out for the door sert money, doing slash payments. So that's what I spent my second tour doing is doing what's called damage mitigation, and so you're basically and then t SC work. So that's the other component. It's you know, leave behinds trieting lead behind. So you basically either are getting that stuff and say, hey, you know, I understand that, you know an operation happened. If you could, you know, you basically get with the village elder. And what was weird about maybe it's other places in the world. Afghanistan money can make a death right. That was always really odd to me. And it was fifteen hundred bucks, the equivalent of fifteen hundred ducks was the authorized payment. And I know I did damage mitigations for some very large targets. One of the biggest ones was I think mandated by like I think ISAF at the time, because I think ISAF had moved in by the time two thousand and five, I believe they had taken over I think Kandahar, and so it was like fifty four deaths. So it's like basically a tough box full of money. You're taking a tough box full of cash out there and giving it to this guy, and sometimes they won't take cash because they know that somebody's going to come and take that cash.
Speaker 2: So then we're doing.
Speaker 4: Animals. You basically buy livestock and you give them to them and so so. And that was the case of my second deployment, and on the second one, the the medic who needed to.
Speaker 2: No I returned back.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so I finished that. When out, it was mainly working for the regiment, mainly doing damage mitigation, you know, doing Slasha payments and working with TSC folks. I think the diatocer, I forget what it's called. There's this own little.
Speaker 2: Section yeah, in the compound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so that's a whole other, really cool thing is probably not appropriate.
Speaker 3: Talking, you know, it's it's interesting that you bring up sort of the damage mitigation and how like there is an assigned value to life out there and and it's a little bit different. I think if you know, if people were to hit a target and an innocent people were killed, which which I don't I don't know that I really saw that. I'm trying to think, but but if it's a legit target, like there, people understand it's a legit target, and there's there's a way to to I don't want to say pacify the village.
Speaker 2: There's a way to like say, make it right.
Speaker 3: I remember we went on target one time and it was a legitimate target, but there was a very old guy on the target and while we were you know, doing the questioning and the bit and stuff like that, he had a heart attack and you know, ar medic tried to resuscitate him, couldn't resuscitate him and called it and somebody came up with money and they're like, hey, we're really sorry about this, and the family was like, he wasn't taken as medication, he's been having pain.
Speaker 2: Like it was just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so on that I think it was that trip. So so a lot of it was from air, from casts, so it was kids like these, I mean babies, So they have a full list. So it's everything from kids people. You know, you're not just talking about not just direct any time close air support came in or or a jade m guy drop right, whatever I see. And so yeah, those would be because the Red International Red Cross gets involved and so some of the big ones you had an International Red Cross rep you had, I mean, it was these are big deals to make to clean this mess up. I did have one of those incidents. So they for some reason had they guy was shot. So I'll just tell you the story and then i'll tell you what we discovered. Guy was shot for some reason. They took him on the bird. Maybe they were working on him, and he was end up dying and he was in a refrigeration unit on Kandahar. All right, so we got a mission and our job was fly down to Candahar, get this body, figure out somebody who can drive this body with you, go coordinate with some unit. Like it's not like this is set up for you to arrange all this and get this body back out to the village.
Speaker 3: Within three days, right, No, twenty four hours. Twenty four hours, Okay, then the culture.
Speaker 4: Has to be buried within twenty four hours. So one we were trying to figure it out. So I'm like, hey, I want to see this body, and we.
Speaker 2: End up being.
Speaker 4: It was like it could be a military age male, but you could tell it was, you know, just by pubic cair and things like that. You can be like, Okay, this kid's maybe twelve to thirteen years old, you know, and they're smaller folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyways, so it's like, okay, we need we need to figure this out. So we coordinated the logistics and found a unit to drive us out there. And I think it was ended up being like the uh, the Princess's infantry. For it was like the Canadian had owned the space where we needed to go. So it was like we coordinated get this body out there. And and it's kind of a sad story.
Speaker 2: The kid.
Speaker 4: The kid, it was actually mentally i think retarded, you know, and he was running at the guy and they had told him stop, you know, put your hands up and stop, and with all the chaos going on, he just kept running at him and they shot him. And you know, so we, you know, through translators, stopped to talk to the village elder and his family and explained to him, you know what happened. You know, they perceived him as a threat, and we want to make this right. You know, what can we do to help your family? And so you ended up paying them out and and and it's again that's the weird thing. It's like there's there's no there's no vegeance afterwards, it is done, like we have now made it right. And that that was what's really odd. Because as a father, you know, it's like, it'd be really hard to make that right with me. But for some reason, culturally it was we had done due diligence to mitigate the situation and make it right. And you know, it's one of those the dirty sides of war that happened.
Speaker 3: I feel that a lot of that had to do with Poshtune Wally, you know, with you know the fact that you know a lot of these tribes and a lot of these families they were like the hat Fields and the Kois, and there had to be a way to stop the cycle of violence between them, and so the blood price was it was a really it was very real thing for them in order to you know, to to knock that off.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's just it's it's it's a very interesting part of that culture. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So how was that for you on that trip that you weren't really practicing medicine as much? Obviously was it was very strenuous and probably interesting job.
Speaker 2: But were you missing the medicine at all?
Speaker 4: I think most medics downrange gravitate in their downtime two because you know, you need to help out right. Yeah, So especially the smaller base the smaller the base you're on, you there's an unsaid expectation that that's where you are. You're there, You introduce yourself, you tell them, and you kind of keep your skills up and you help them out so.
Speaker 3: You can go into like their clinic and do or whatever and absolutely do whatever you could do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anything from just routine sick call to an I D happens and so you're kind of called and then you're kind of updated on their alert. Mosters, you introduce yourself, yea, they know who you are, so when something happens, and yeah, but yeah, for the most part, because let me try to think. I think at that time we were with the Rangers. We were on in cowst on the little compound right there on Cowst in the in the tents before they got the Alaskans, so I think they transitioned to the Alaskans, but before it was like GP mediums the green tents, and then they got the nice Alaskans with the air conditioners.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that that.
Speaker 4: That trip was there, and so I want to say that we weren't doing anything because no, because they had a Charlie med that's right. So Cows had a Charlie MED which is essentially a it's like a I guess, yeah, if you will. Yeah, so they have as much capability, so you go over there and introduce your to self. But for the most part they have enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is that like a field surgical team Yeah, FST or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a it's like a BAT plus yeah. Yeah, because they have X ray capability, they have everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, So how long was that trip?
Speaker 4: So those were short rotations so that we were on the same rotational cycle as the battalion, So I believe they were I want to say ninety to one hundred and twenty days I believe at the timeframe, so it was three to four month rotations. So I did a couple of those throughout the two thousand and five I did two to three rotations, and then I was there. I think I went back for just a really short period of time and then had to go back again because again civil affairs were still pretty small and we had basically four teams that's all Jaysak had to support all of their missions in Iraq and that's it for c ATMs, So we were always on a cycle. Yeah, and so I think we had to go in early and it was four red wings. Okay, so it had just happened, and I think they were needing.
Speaker 2: To fast rope back in. So this is.
Speaker 4: They had already happened, and I think they were it's at the time period where they I think they were doing a lot of the remains recovery stuff. And long story short, our tasking was to do a lot of the money stuff with the guy who was basically protecting I guess Marcus and.
Speaker 2: The team leader.
Speaker 4: He was older as guy and he just wasn't fit and just couldn't.
Speaker 2: It was just it was it was a brutal environment. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so they had spun us up to come in early. So we came in early. We didn't end up going to the site, but we just had finished up the backside support to buy all the animals. I think that was the end. We end up giving a bunch of like animals. If I remember didn't want my recollection. I don't know what really happened. My recollection is we bought animals and had them had them delivered.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So what was.
Speaker 3: If you guys didn't go in like you would spun up early to go support that you didn't actually go in.
Speaker 2: What was the rest of that trip like for you? So the rest of that rip at that time.
Speaker 4: We got spun up for that, but we were no longer attached to the regiment. Now we were attached with the seals, but they put us in the J three IO okay, And so that's the information operation. So you're part of the three shop working doing more of the with the t S folks. And so.
Speaker 2: We we would we did the same thing.
Speaker 4: But this time for the Salt Force. At that time it was the guys from the beach rotating in and out, and so we did the same type of payments damage mitigation for them. And so, so were you out of Cobble at that point in time? Now we were at we were at so we were at the compound on Bogram.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, yeah, yeah, sorry said Cobble, but yeah Bogram, Yeah okay. So so then how because how would you guys work the payments out of Bogram Because that task force went everywhere in country, So there are a lot of places you guys aren't going to drive to. Ring flights, okay, ring flights. Yeah, it's it's kind of like you hitched a ride on anything. It was like reflecting back on it, it was like we had to figure it out.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like it was arranged for us. So so if if we needed to go and it was in the oda's battle space, then we would go over to Camp Vans, go to see Jasota, tell them we need to get over here. Then we would catch a flight to Candahart and Candahar get on a ring flight, or if there was a convoy going out. You're just it's it's like you're a hitchhiker with an objective to do. So it's it's really kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: That is well, so for those of you, you guys can probably get it through context. But ring flights were basically just the patterned you know, flights from base to base a lot of times supplies or personnel pick up and drop off, but they were scheduled flights. It would be like it'd be like hopping on a rail line and trying to get to one city and then hitchhiking to another city to get to where you need to go to.
Speaker 4: It is, and sometimes they would already have another tasking for you, like hey, this just happened over here. We need you guys to hurry up and get back and we're like, okay, we got to find.
Speaker 2: A round, like we have no assets to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it wasn't like we had vehicles, right, like we're just a team and a tenth and it's like you're on a page or which was like okay, this just happened, we need you to go do this or yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's it was, yeah, it was kind of fine to me.
Speaker 3: Also in a way though it seems kind of fun. It's like it's like it's like being a hobo on a train, right, it's like the open air.
Speaker 4: It's like it's fun until it's not fun, right, and I'll tell you when it's not fun. So we got with the Royal Princess Infantry.
Speaker 2: So well it was it was down.
Speaker 4: It was down in kandaharto summer. Oh no, no, no, it wasn't in Candahart. It was some I don't know what they're called. It was it was smaller than.
Speaker 2: A cop Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like basically like you're out there and just these little tents, well they're not little tents. I can't even just describe them. But we we end up getting stuck there for a week. So it's you know, just living out of a small rock. But it was like we were it was hot as ship and they kept us outside and so we were like laying on these hot rocks on cars board. I got pictures of it. It's crazy. So to get patting, we like broke down some mr boxes. So it was just we're just sleeping there, just trying to find anything to get us back to Kandaharsh so we could get on a sea when thirty to.
Speaker 2: Get back up to Bogrum.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, there were some times that were just like it was like being a hobo. You're there, like who are you guys, and what are you here for? And we're like, well, we we just finished, you know, taking care of a tasking. But now we got to get back. So you guys got anything going back? And it'd be like, yeah, we got you know, we have some you know, some strike you know, whatever vehicle we gotta cut, you know, we got to police, you know, some MP's going back. So you just hey, can we hit you a ride? And we're like, let me see if we got room in the back of the vehicle, and uh yeah, it's it's it was pretty well. But yeah, until you've experienced the polar opposite, which like full command and control of which I you know, like being embedded in the eighty second during the surge much different. So yeah, it was kind of fun, but then again, at times it was kind of shitty because you're like, we don't have any support here, like we're just trying to figure it out. But I guess that's the I mean, that's that's the job. That's what So that's what the teams did. So it is I think they get a lot of a flak right for being a civil affairs team, but in the reality, it's like you are kind of just like three or four people kind of hanging it out there, hitching rides all over a country and war just trying to do these odd jobs.
Speaker 2: So so.
Speaker 3: Anything, if anything interesting happened, I mean, if that you want to cover on that trip, feel free.
Speaker 2: If not, we can fast forward.
Speaker 4: Not a whole lot. I did get to discover a so so we had a payment for the seals.
Speaker 2: So it was out in Frau.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know where fra It's like right by the Iranium border.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe. So there was a.
Speaker 4: An ODA there and I won't say what group they're from and so we showed up and so I'll describe them though, because it's funny and maybe you can relate to it, and maybe some folks can relate to it. So they had a hit, right they ended up. I think it was one of those stories where like the daughter picked it was like some prominent person and I think the Agriculture department or something just a government official will just leave it at that, end up hitting the house. Daughter picks up a weapon, shoot the daughter, and so we need to fly out to kind of make this right.
Speaker 2: So we fly out in.
Speaker 4: Our linkup is with the with the ODA out there, and so we you know, do the trip, you know, mister Toad's wild ride from Bogram to Candahar can get to the Ring flights and we end up in space camp way out here in the middle of nowhere. And we get there and like these.
Speaker 2: It's like mad Max. These there's like an oh, they've native.
Speaker 4: So these dudes had made and welded choppers. So they took these like hundred I don't know, the hundred cc like I don't not even like hondas. They're like piece of crap motorcycles, and so they got them all raked out, and they're these dudes in like little shorts, no shirt, yoked out of their mind on these like choppers riding around. We're like, why in the fuck is going on here? And they're pissed. They're like, you just caused us a catastrophic loss of rapport. That's gonna take us whatever. They're pissed, right, But at the same time, we're like look at like we're like looking at half of these guys and we're like, what the fuck are you guys doing out here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Colonel Kurtz back there, like yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean the sweetest gym, Like the sweetest gym with like a guy like making your proteins.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget.
Speaker 4: Like we go into the gym and it's like it's exquisite, right, It's not your like jail house gym with like cinder blocks like your typical one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like really nice and.
Speaker 4: Like there's like an afghan in there, like making like protein smoothies for everybody. And I'm like, guys riding these like sons of anarchies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That that that must have been challenging though, for them and for other Battle Space owners especially conventional.
Speaker 2: That you know, sometimes Task Force or or other units, you know, any DA units would.
Speaker 3: Make a mess, and and generally that mess was deserved, right. Maybe occasionally it wasn't, but generally it was it was deserved. And if they start receiving fire and they start calling in casts, you know, things happen.
Speaker 2: But for the battle space owner who doesn't have really have any.
Speaker 3: Control over that, and who who doesn't who does see it as a catastrophic loss of rapport when maybe they didn't really actually have rapport. They just the problems weren't right there in their face or whatever. But but they did have to go in and clean that up a lot of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're exactly right. And I'll on that same trip a different place back back to Cowst. I believe that eighty second owned it at the time. And so another part of our job was detainee release. So you know, you had the TSCF, I think it's called bray Screen Facility Holding facility, whatever it is TSF. Our job was to go release these guys. Now, some of these guys were still on people's list, and they didn't know that these guys were already there, right, So they were either bringing releasing them back to go recruit and to do tasks right, and so I'll never forget like they had just did something, they had done an op in this area. We had gotten given a bunch of pictures and told we're told what to brief this commander. So you're going in I think it's a I think it was a BCT commander. So you know, you brief in this commander here I am. I think that's you know, E seven going in there briefing and six.
Speaker 2: A toll.
Speaker 4: Bullshit story with pictures and everything to go with it. And here's what just happened in your space, and here's what's going on. And so so that was kind of I think sometimes we're the left hand didn't talk to the right. Maybe it's to buy design and intentional, and I think it was. And I think there's certain things that people need to know and they don't need to know. And apparently that that battlespace owner did not need to know that we were going to you know, not only did we make a mess, but now we just release somebody. And I at times I had issue with this, but there's nothing you can do about it. When you think about conventional soldiers out there, you know, as someone who later became a senior leader. There's people who are going to going out there, risking their lives because they have a target deck and they're young troops who are executing missions to find a guy that they don't realize, well, that guy's already been found and he's back out there, and he's back out there for a different reason. But these guys could be going out there just doing their job and hit an ID right and you know, and I'm sure they did, and I'm sure people did lose their lives. But so you know, those are some of the other dynamics of that job that were a little bit different, you know, if you will.
Speaker 3: But it's you know, yeah, I mean would it would Would it be because they they thought that they'd flipped the guy, or because they he wasn't even though he may have been an ID facilitator, he was they had his like, they had his number, and they were waiting for him to unwittingly lead them to a fatter target.
Speaker 4: I think that's what one hundred percent was all the time. Yeah, it was for the most part. It's just hey, they'd already got him, and you do this task force.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, you get to go free.
Speaker 4: It's almost like cops, right, Yeah, it's like, Okay, we got you on a small yeah, we'll we'll we'll flip you. You go catch us a bigger fish. Yeah, and we'll make this good.
Speaker 2: But generally, I don't know, I have mixed feelings.
Speaker 3: About that because I especially for the idea, those guys were so difficult.
Speaker 2: To to prosecute.
Speaker 3: They were not as targets but as criminals because they generally weren't going to pick.
Speaker 2: Up weapons during fights.
Speaker 3: They they knew that there probably wasn't you know, a lot on them, and and you know, units would roll those guys up two and three times, put them into the you know, the American system, the Afghanian system, or the Iraqi system, and then those guys would be back out on.
Speaker 2: The street and no time, flat back doing business.
Speaker 3: And they're not the ones out there digging the holes and put the IDs in. That's some farmer who's getting paid you know, twenty bucks, fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a very challenging environment for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So how long roughly was that deployment them?
Speaker 4: So I think at that time those were those were I want to say one twenties. Okay, I think those were just four months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you guys weren't on their rotation because they are on like you know, red, green, yellow cycle, whatever cycles are on, they're on.
Speaker 2: And but you guys are small, you know, you guys have to match.
Speaker 4: Every Sometimes we would sometimes we win. Sometimes. I think once we switched from directly supporting direct attachment to the to like the the units that made up the task force to direct these being a task Force asset, then it was much more fluid. You just you know, you had a two day rip. Yeah, and then you know, you just everybody goes up, meets in bogram, do a high five, they go, you stay and you instantly or are back on. So I believe we were on one hundred and twenty days cycles at the time. Okay, but yeah, it was interesting. You know. The other interesting dynamic of that is being being in the in the io cell. You also got to see because I believe at the time, you know, so red Wing happened. And I'll I remember this one time we got pulled into the into the the talk and it was basically that we were writing the narrative about another craft getting shot down and it was it was like, Okay, well it had gotten shot down, but we're like at the time, I think there was like, well, we're not going to give them credit. We don't want them to get credit for shooting one down. So it had mechanical filure. And that was my first really experience with Siah those two things with the there's another narrative, and the narrative can evolve based upon the needs of the bigger picture or organization or objectives and not really based upon ground truth. And I think a lot of people get upset with that, and you hear a lot of stories where it's like, well, why didn't they tell the truth? Or they expect people like myself or like yourself who were there. It's on the onus becomes on you to correct the narrative. And you see this all the time, and that's tough, right because it's like, well, you know, we're we're service member following orders and we're doing what I told them. We didn't come up with the narrative. For some reason, it was needed to be that way. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: And I think another part of that too is is I don't think that I'm not saying always, but I don't think generally it's it's with the impetus to mislead Americans. It's that there is a full blown propaganda war going on with the Taliban, and you know, they're out there saying we're using human shields. They're out there, you know, saying these things, and you can't give them these victories of shooting down a here an aircraft.
Speaker 4: And vice versa. I think when some of our folks something happens, So I think you're you're spot on it. And I experienced that we talked about a little bit early. I experienced that myself in a later deployment. So I agree with you that it's it seems nefarious and ill intentioned and ill will behind it. The reality is there's a strategic that we're not playing checkers here, We're playing chess, and so it's a bigger narrative that ties into you know, a soldier's death. I was told one time, a soldier's death is a tactical loss. You a civilian, innocent civilian death can be a strategic loss, and so sometimes they need to adjust the narrative to gained gain or achieve the objective or or or or perception of what's going.
Speaker 3: On now, It's I'm in Afghanistan by probably maybe two thousand seven or eight, I'm not sure. Like they were very good at and I'm not saying there were no civilian casualties in Afghanistan, because there were, but they were very good at saying that teams had gone out and just killed all these kids and everybody on target. And I'm talking about casts, I'm talking about bullets to the head execution style, and and international across they would shut the battle space down. They they had the power to go to our government and whomever else to basically shut the battle space down while they conducted an investigation.
Speaker 2: And you know, and that was so in Candahar.
Speaker 3: You might take all this ground and push you know, the Taliban out, you know, but then the Taliban say, hey, execution on this target, and battle space would get shut down. International across go out do their investigation, and the Taliban would all move back in.
Speaker 2: You know. So there was very much.
Speaker 3: A propaganda war going on at all times. Being in uh in the J three io, were you ever privy to any sort of theoretical good idea of fairy stuff that just having been out there on the ground, you knew was not gonna fly.
Speaker 4: Not that I can not that I can think of. There's a lot of like, uh, interesting technical things that they employ. Again that and I'm sure you're probably aware and some of those you question those like you're gonna do what and put that and where and they're not going to find that, you know, like but but yeah, so I mean other than things like that, no, none that No, I always really it about. I always just question from the optic of luckily like that incident that that that forty seven when when that one got shot at no one died on it. But that's what you always that's what people seem to gravitate towards is where kind of the conspiracy theory kind of jumps in is. And I think that's the that's the danger of it, right because when people don't have clarity and there's like ambiguity exists, they come up with their own narrative and sometimes their own narrative is much worse than reality, right right, But intentionally they don't get clarity. Yeah, And so I think that's you know, that's a it's a it's a double edged sword, it is.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, the military has you know, whether it's a sexual assault under a command or like, the military does have this history of covering up its mistakes, so it's very hard sometimes to tell when it's a cover up and when it's when it is like legit sort.
Speaker 2: Of IO operations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So how long were you on this rotation of these unit of this task force?
Speaker 4: So I did a few of Afghanistan and then the next and then the surge happened, So I did that pretty much consistently. And then two thousand and seven is when every got is when the mass flow of troops went to Baghdad for the surge, and so I think that was spring, okay, spring of seven.
Speaker 2: And did you say that you were with the eighty second at that point?
Speaker 4: So at that time we all got pulled off of our regional mission. I guess it was a higher precedence, and so we let me think about this. We had additionally the civil affairs had additionally split, so they didn't get a bunch of new people, but they basically cut the battalions in half, and so the ninety six became the ninety sixth and ninety seventh, and then the ninety sixth and ninety seventh became the ninety six, seventh and ninety eighth, and so I had moved to the ninety seventh. We had become the same building. We just like you're now the ninety seventh. So so I was no longer part of that group. I think that tasking then became where it used to be a company centric four teams that did it. I think they ended up rotating and around the battalion, and so the surge happened, we all got pulled in and I can remember like every team from every company was.
Speaker 2: Going to Iraq.
Speaker 4: So for the most part, there was a couple guys on regional trips in Africa, but for the most part, and maybe some down in South America, but for the most part, folks were going to Iraq to be part of the surge.
Speaker 3: And how how was that for you after you know, working with Task Force, working Rangers, Seal Team six and now you're going to the eighty second.
Speaker 4: That was horrible And it was horrible because I think, well one that time in Iraq was horrible. I think it was horrible for a lot of people. It was it was the heights of the casualties. If I think that again, like I don't know exact numbers, but I think we were about tracking about one hundred deaths service members a month at the time period of the height. And so I was assigned to Solder City. So I Solder City and I lived at the police station there. So we were embedded with the police at these little Joint security DJSS district Joint Security station I believe they were called.
Speaker 2: And I heard Solder City. Was that nice that time of year?
Speaker 4: Yes? No, that was not a Yeah, that was a dangerous place.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so interestingly I loved my dad was also in theater at the same time. Was he still with three Idea or where was he was still at Third I D at the time? No, I think he was. I could be wrong. He was either with Third ID or with First I D because one of the one of the units I think it was Third ID. But so he was at I don't know what main base he was at, but I was. We were working. Our headquarters element was in Taji and then we lived at the police station and that was all casualties. Again, so that was being a medic every day, all day, and that was a lot of my frustration with I think some of the leadership of eighty second is they would rotate through. So they would come through and rotate do the command visits to the outstation, and and you know, everybody's like, it's one thing in training to live like shit, right, It's a whole other thing to live like shit when you're in the shit. Yeah, And so you know, like things like running water just you know, tullets overflowing with shit that importa potties that were full of mortar holes. You don't know if you're gonna die sweating on a portagehn, you know what I mean. And so you know, like so that was and then there was you know, everybody's eating the can. There was like this weird canned food they had that you like, poked it and it. So you were eating like shit. You weren't eating quality. You were eating but not quality fit. And then the freedom maneuver, I think was two streets. You could patrol two streets and you were almost one hundred percent gonna get alice hit one ID. And at the time they had released because of the again like the strategic loss of civilians, the the there was a rule that no vehicle could drive faster than five miles an hour. So you think about this. Yeah, you know, city structure lobbing grenades into your vehicles. So we put like welded tops on all the humbies and then at that point they you had the big rhino mount for I guess it was like a glow plug or some kind of plug inside of it. I think, I don't know. You may know you try about like the drop arm.
Speaker 2: So you had a.
Speaker 4: Jammer for the remote detonade, and then you had the drop arm thing that I forget what it did, but but essentially like you had this weird like hodgepodge of vehicle with welded glass oliver. So people were like welding and up armboring their own stuff because at the time, I mean it was horrific, like deep buried mines where they would flip flip Bradley fighting vehicles. I mean it was you know, there's there's some lot of bad stories and so from that time of just like you know, they those vehicles would flip over and you'd watch soldiers burned to death, like you would see them trying to get their arms out of hatches and it'd be engulfed in flames, and you know those really it messed me up personally, and a lot of medics just never like probably people, I shouldn't just put that to medics, but I know some of our medics they didn't. They didn't do well after that. And we had some that that that during the surge took its toll on folks. I certainly took its toll on me and I and I think I changed as a person after that trip. We can talk about that stuff a little later, but and so yeah, so that was my job was to be a medic. The medic who was with the with that unit, his platoon Sardant got shot in the head putting up they were doing their hes goes, putting their hescoes up in the beginning. So the medic became the platoon sarden. And so we had a little four detachment. He was believe it or not, E five. And so I was like, and so my team, we were all these sevens. I was like, hey, man, just do your job. If there's anything medical, just I'll take care of it. Don't worry about it. So we set up a little hasty you know, one litter in an ad in a ceiling container at this little little police station, and that's where we lived. For seven months, and it was injuries every day, and it's really what kind of honed me into, like you know, some of the device stuff that I'm doing today, it's just some of these injuries from the EFPs. That was when the FPS got started, and EFPs would go and take people's legs off. They would, I mean, they would just go right through guys torsos. I'll never forget. I had one go through basically. I don't know how this ended up happening, but a piece of it went through under his plate, under his skin but not through his thoraxe, but basically a big hole in one shoulder and a big hole out the other. And just I can remember trying to put pressure. At the time, they had quick clot sponges. Yeah, yeah, there were these. Man. I had these sponges and I kept them like in all of I must have stuffed those sponges in somebody every day. So all my pockets because you're just walking around and you're on his little police station. So it's not like you're wearing full kid all the time. You know, sometimes you're just wearing your uniform, maybe your vest. But my pockets were never not full because this police station also had a radio tower. So you're in a flat land with a radio tower in a city that you can see this tower from anywhere in the city. So now you have an asthmth Now what do you need distance? So it was like just I mean, you probably remember that time. It was just mortar city all day, so you really you're not fighting, you're just taking casualties and getting blown up. So it's really a psychological It's probably what they're experiencing. I could guess with some of the drone stuff. Now that's what I that's what I equated to in my mind. I'm like, that sucked, and you're in constant fear because you're not gonna know when you die, You're just gonna blow up or maybe get mangled, and you know, it's just like this stuff's coming in and.
Speaker 3: So it's very it's very frustrating to hear this because you know they also did this in Afghanistan where they would put a small number of soldiers out at some cop in the middle of nowhere with no support and basically allow you know, the Taliban to just come in and you know, they'd put them in low ground, they wouldn't give them a SoLIT tact position, you know, and and they would just allow the Taliban to kick the shit out of these guys day after day after day. And in my I would love to know who decided that US soldiers needed to be at this police station. What was the point of putting them there, you know, because there's no area of denial going on, right, you're not you're not you're not creating a court on you're not all. They're just sticking these guys in a meat grinder with no ability to defend themselves, and then putting additional restrictions on them like the five mile an hour.
Speaker 2: Speed you know, speed limit.
Speaker 3: Like these these are people, honestly that need to be called the carpet and answer for their sins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's funny you mentioned that. So it was if you remember where we were again, not that it doesn't matter the politic aspect of it, but I think the nation wanted us out, and so we had specifically an embedded reporter with my four man team and I so in Solder City. So why we were doing this so in this like two streets in Jamira, I think it was called that we could drive to. We were doing these small projects so we were putting in lights, so like I think they were like solar lights or something like that, because I forget what it was lights. You're doing your basic like hand out stuff and schools like trying to like refurbish and rehab these schools.
Speaker 2: So that was our job.
Speaker 4: Like so it was in I don't want to get off the story, but I think, and here's one of my frustrating parts about being a Civil Affair soldiers. Success was measured on how much money in projects you spent now your effect and so you think about you know, and that's one of the things that you know, like the IO side of it, effects based operations. But if you read every award, it was like established so many of this and spent X amount of dollars, and so it was like you did these I don't want to say frivolous projects and risk people's lives to essentially like do some sort of rebuilding that I don't really think it rebuilt anything, and so it you know, yeah, it was. It was really frustrating, but that's essentially what we did was a lot of that. It's just driving around, get blown up, take fire, treat people. I think half the people in that small element. You know, they all ended up with purple hearts. They were just it was just like you were going to catch something, right, the likelihood of a piece of frag not flying at you and getting it was just everything was just riddled. I still got a whole lot of pictures. It's just everything was riddled. Every build, every everything was just holds everywhere. And so so yeah, that was the surgeon. That was a pretty unpleasant time. So yeah, I wouldn't wish that on anybody.
Speaker 3: Yes, Sutter City, and you know, and Mada like he was, he was a piece of work, you know, because he would get his jashm Nahdi.
Speaker 2: You know, they had.
Speaker 3: Openly hostile you know, openly aggressive US elements would go in and just start kicking ass, you know, doing hits, you know whatever.
Speaker 2: And then at the point in time.
Speaker 3: That we you know that that the US would gain some ground in there, you know, he would pull out the I'm a cleric, I'm a holy man.
Speaker 2: Let's you know, let's work.
Speaker 3: There like and and and this would be the story that would play is you know he's a holy man, he's you know, he's a mulla and and and so US forces would have to stop directing hits on jayshau Mahdi while they rebuilt, regrouped, re armed, and then they would go at it again.
Speaker 2: And we played this game with him forever.
Speaker 3: And and to throw to throw an ounce an ounce of US money into a solder city, it is, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think more importantly it's the blood that was yeah put there because you know, like every soft is sexy, right, Yeah, but really that's where I gained. I learned important lesson there that no one's service is greater than anybody else. Absolutely, And when you look at these kids, I can these kids at that point in time we're doing, some of them were getting extended to eighteen months. Yeah, so I was blessed to experience that only for seven or eight months, yeah, eighteen months to deal with that, and the casualties that they were taking were half of their squads were no longer alive at you know, twenty years old, eighteen years old, nineteen years old.
Speaker 2: You know, that's that's the travesty of it, I think, And you know we've talked about that on this show before too.
Speaker 3: People love the soft mission, people love the direct action. The direction action is great for commanders, it briefs, well, how many bodies did you stack? Look, we're winning the war, you know, we just killed twenty insurgents. But both in Iraq and in Afghanistan, you know, these conventional guys they don't get any credit at all for what they went through.
Speaker 2: And they the software was very gucci. It was. It was dangerous. I'm not I'm not taking anything away from it. It was dangerous.
Speaker 3: They you know, they had the lion's share of kills and whatnot, but they also got to plant. They had the assets, they had, you know, the resources. They weren't out there doing you know, recon by you know enemy fire.
Speaker 2: But both in.
Speaker 3: Afghanistan and Rock, these conventional forces were stuck out there, some of them mixing it up every single day.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They weren't flying back, you know, to Bogram, they weren't you know, going back to Glalabad you know, to play Halo, to unwind and prepping for the next stop. They were in it every single day, and for long periods of time, like you say, like twelve to eighteen months, and they get.
Speaker 2: No credit at all.
Speaker 3: Everybody is so focused on soft because that's what they make movies about. That's you know, and yeah, these these these kids, these guys, these these women, they deserve a hell of a lot more credit than I get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they do. Hopefully, hopefully I'll remember at the end. Well, once I got really senior, I spoke up at a conference that well, no tell us so so yeah, so I'll fast forward really quick and then we'll go back. So it was the right towards the end of my career. You know, I was a brigade CSM, but previous a lot of soft experience, you know, once I had, you know, at twenty three years in service, and as much as I a physician, stood up from one of the elements within Jaysack and basically it was about prolonged field care, and he basically was saying how prolonged field care was a soft problem and conventional piece bull needed not worry about it. And so I stood up because of the time I had already worked to work with some prolonged field care stuff for the conventional Army. It was a tasking given to me based on my background and some stuff that was going on with Korea and Fight Tonight where we thought we were going to fight in Korea, and I was in that area. And so I stood up and I said, so, what you're telling me, sir, is that so I have two sons that are serving, one in an SMU and one son and four two five and airborne infantry in Alaska. So the training that their medics get and their life their survivability statistics should be directly relational to their unit of assignment and not their injury pattern. So we should invest only in soft training and teaching and preparedness for prolonged care. And so it really just it struck a chord with me, and I wanted to just rake him over the coals and and I and I think it even actually made them rethink. Maybe not the group, and maybe I, you know, I didn't have a bigger play in that, but but it definitely it definitely made me reflect upon because I was back now working for the conventional military, of the importance of Hey, those are the dudes staying out there for eighteen months. They don't they get the least training, they're least equipped, and they have the least assets. But but but now you are. But now you don't want to focus on them and dedicate some training to you to say it's it's it's too sexy of training for them to get it. I'm like, and and so they don't need to know how to ensure survivability of those forces should they encounter you know, prolonged field care and so but yeah, so yeah, yeah, so it's a huge soapbox for me. It's like, hey, you know, invest in all these guys because that's that's our charge, take care of American sons and daughters. And so as a leader, you need to ensure that that that's your responsibility as a commander, like the man training equipping of your soldiers. So but yeah, so rewind back to the surge. So surge is done, and so you know, the majority of us, you know, made it back. And and at the time, that's when I've essentially got an invitation to do something else. And I was seeking things to do because that's the time that I had mentioned that Civil Affairs was converting. It was no longer going to be an organization where people could just go to regardless of their or because of they had an MOS that fit the team dying, which is basically kind of modeled kind of like the ODA, like I said, the Engineer, Weapons, medic team leader. Now you had to be a MOS and they they basically gave us all the opportunity change your a MOS.
Speaker 2: Or find another job.
Speaker 4: And so at the time, I actually enjoyed the tactical medical stuff and I wanted to go to the unit at BRAG That's that's where I wanted to go. But they had periods of time where their senior I think the senior medical folks there they either wanted eighteen series guys and they wouldn't take the SOCCAM guys. And so it really was who's in charge of the med the med troop or squadron or whatever it is. And so at the time they were like, hey, we're not taking you know, we're only taking eighteens and so okay. And so a friend of mine had went to another organization a special access program i'll just call it that in the in the National Capital region, just keep it kind of area generic, and had said, hey, man, I've talked to them about you. You know, I think that you've got the experience and you would you would do well here and would you like to apply and and so, and I was seeking things out and I said, yeah.
Speaker 2: Had you had you been aware of that program?
Speaker 4: I known about the people because there was onesies and twosies that worked with the task force, but you didn't know kind of what these weird animals were, right, you know, they're kind of like these strange birds. Right, they're like, what's that strange bird? Oh, it's something really cool and so uh but no, I mean honestly, like because of my by that time, I developed a strong sense of passion for medic to being a medic and that and it's that was actually a really important thing about that organization is they didn't want people who wanted to be something else. If you're going there to be a medic, that's what you're going to be, and you're going to be the best medic and so so so basically you either you get asked to go there or someone knows and recommend you. That's the process. And so funny story is I actually filled out another packet and I thought that I was getting packets in and you don't really know where these packets are going because I'll tell the dirty secret. The dirty secret is there's a lot of places you can go. It isn't just one place. So there's a lot of places up in the National Capital Region.
Speaker 2: So I had.
Speaker 4: Fully applied and been like hired. And then I talked to my buddy who was at the place that I wanted to go, and he's like, because I think I had applied to I'd filled out the packets for both, but again, the names on the packets, they're just like names, they don't really correlate. And he's like, dude, you didn't go through the So I called the other guy because you get a point of contact and I was like, yeah, I don't want the job. I'm actually trying to go somewhere else. And he's like, okay, I understand. And then so long story short is I So I filled out the packet I got offered to do it, go up and interview, and I went through my interview process. And I'll talk a little bit about that later. Because my CSM at the time, which I did know, was also a former unit member, but he would he never told me that, and he's like, I need you to do one more deployment before you go. So I had went basically, I'd got you know, if you get the job or not. But I told him, hey, I committed to another deployment and so so after that I had to do one more deployment, and that was to I had now switched companies to the ninety or the ninety seventh had split and also became the ninety sixth, and seventh had split and become the ninety eight. Ninety eighth was Latin America. So then I got a tasking to go down and do the be part of finding the hostages in Colombia, so ramping all up and going through language immersion, and so got back from Iraq, immediately started language immersion after I had went through you know, my screening process, and then headed off to Columbia.
Speaker 3: And what was that uh, what was the was the search still ongoing at that point in time?
Speaker 4: It was so we actually got them back. I was actually at the location the day before.
Speaker 2: Wow. Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so when we first got there, So we got there. I think they got them back in June or July of eight if I remember right. And so Operation Jock if I think it's called pronounce you Jock JQ, whatever it is, I don't recall. So essentially, yeah, that was our job was attached to Embassy Mission seventh Group, So it was working with seventh Group at the time out of the embassy there and so we were flying around with it, so operational willing spirit, and so it was about going and finding the were these hostages this plane that had crashed in the middle of the jungle five years earlier, So these guys have been hostages now for five years, getting moved all over you know, triple canopy jungle, and so I can go right into it or yeah yeah, so yeah, So you know, I finished language emerging immersion, you know, just came off Iraq and uh, honestly, you know, like I said, a Rack kind of changed me I think as a as a person, and so you know, you know, I struggled a little bit on this on this deployment, but you know, I just that's when I first started like angry outbursts and things like that. Just somebody, if you you know, you're, you're, you used to have an escalation of.
Speaker 2: One to ten.
Speaker 4: Now it's just like yeah, it's just ten, yeah, you know. And so so yeah, we get there and without focusing too much on that, we instantly start going out and basically you're doing these civil affairs type activities. So it is a more of a the traditional I guess I think doctrinal mission of going out and working with their government and supporting them and then using resources, you know, the monies that are afforded to go out and do larger scale medcaps, not like essentially like tailgatements in Afghanistan. These are where we actually bring in ten host nation doctors and dentists. Wow, load these airplanes up with these huge suites of medical equipment and you fly out to these remote places, you know, all over the jungle, and you set up and you start seeing people, and you know, and then other folks can kind of come in and ask questions and do what they do right. So it's kind of a I don't know if you want to say cover for status action kind of thing. Is you know, you're just you're facilitating Maybe that's a better way and your facility taking people to do there and I mean done right.
Speaker 3: I feel like medcaps and PRTs and well the PRTs, but that medcaps are are are almost always if they're done right, Like, there's always an element of that intelligence gathering piece to the medcap right that there should there's always somebody there, and especially on the female side, because a lot of times, like a lot of times, the women will talk about the things that are pissing them off, and things that are pissing them off are generally the things that guys don't want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Yeah or yeah, well you know that was a huge You're exactly right, and that's probably more so in Afghanistan than even Iraq. Afghanistan, I've never talked to a woman, Yeah, never, Yeah, Iraq, yes, because they have like the ones that don't kind of wear the full burka type a lot of traditional they haven't much more Western Western exactly, they're kind of more westernized. It's more socially acceptable for them to kind of associate with with males, and so could work with females there and then in Latin America was no real deal. But yeah, one hundred percent, I can the utility in Afghanistan. I didn't get to experience those the I think the female engagement teams whatever they're called. But and then we didn't get females in Cea. My very last trip, we had our I think once some of our first females.
Speaker 3: And is that because it was still considered special ops and so.
Speaker 2: I think it was the mos Is, So if you looked at it, no female medics that went through.
Speaker 4: I actually had the first female medic in my SOCCAM class. She was Air Force first female go through SoC them. I think that's a whole nother crazy story.
Speaker 2: That's that was.
Speaker 4: Integration gone awry. That's a funny story. So I should tell that, but we're too far past it. But at any rate, so yeah, so uh, we're kind of lost my track.
Speaker 3: So you're in Latin America. You're doing the medcaps, large medcaps.
Speaker 4: Yes, so the big, big large medcaps. And so we're really just asking questions, like any fark around, has anybody heard rumor of them moving? Because that's what they would do. They would move these They moved these guys for five years everywhere, and so.
Speaker 2: We I think it.
Speaker 4: I think it was San Jose A Guavier, the Guavier River area. We were there. Now we didn't know the OP was gonna happen, but we were there the day before setting it up and doing planning to do it. And so we met with the local like government. We told them, here's what we'd like to do. We would like to do do health screenings because a lot of the stuff that we were doing because like, well why do you want to do that? Well, you know, you didn't just come out and say that a lot of it was because of the the State Department stuff that they were doing with the spraying right for the I guess the eradication of the crops and or the.
Speaker 2: Mosquitoes and pies. Oh oh, the drug counter drug drug stuff.
Speaker 4: It's all counter drug through the con I believe it's called is their organization.
Speaker 2: Uh, through their counter narcotical folks.
Speaker 4: So so that's a whole nother different mission that we also did. Once we got the hostages back, we continue doing that. So yeah, so we were there planning it to set it up and you say, hey, we want to do this, we want to see you know, we you know, see the folks, make sure everything's okay, and planning it, and then I think our team leader got a call. It's like, hey, you guys need to get out of there now, you need to leave. We're like, we're we're in the middle according this no, and they're like, no, you don't understand, you need to go. So we're like, okay, all right, So we you know, we packed up. We uh we told them we had finished everything because at that time we didn't have to hitch a ride. We basically would go to the counter and narcotics police. They would get one of their there what are they am? I seventeen their their helicopters and fly you out. So they facilitated our travel and we said, hey, you know, we're finished, we need to go back, and they took us back back to Bogotah to the to the embassy. And then the next day, it was either the day or the day after then that operation took place. And I believe that was one of the like the most successful. Like you know, No shots fired got a lot of controversy over them usings imposing as a Red Cross elements that kind of violated I think some international law. But nonetheless, no shots fired. They got the folks back, they were able to be repatriated.
Speaker 2: And then did you did you did you meet them? Did you greet them at all?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: They flew back, They facilitated their.
Speaker 4: Their their movement was pretty much facilitated and kind of escorted. And there wasn't a reason, like they didn't need to and.
Speaker 2: And yeah I didn't like you screened them when they came out?
Speaker 4: No, no, nothing, nope, uh, no real direct contact. The I think Cleveland was the the South, the SOX South commander at the time he flew in, briefed everybody and thanked everybody, you know, because this is they've been looking for these guys for years, and so it was a big deal. I think I still got the Fanville Observer paper from that and and.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that was the bit.
Speaker 4: But that was actually the very beginning or towards the I think two months into our rotation. And so after that, you know that didn't get to see them. They they got they went back and we continued on mainly working with the State Department stuff and just kind of just you know, we would go out sit these things up and they would have a State Department rep who would kind of screen these folks and make sure the stuff they're spraying all over this stuff isn't like causing cancer, causing birth defects. I think it was really birth defects honestly, that they were not causing health ailments with with the population.
Speaker 3: Right right with from the saying, you know, it's it's interesting because as I think about it, like ill, when I think about medcaps, I've always thought about intelligence gathering, but it's possible and maybe maybe you know this and maybe it wasn't even a thing, but I imagine, you know, with the FARC moving around as much as they did. Medcaps are also they're also potentially part of a shaping operation, right that if you throw a medcap into a region, then the fark is going to move away from that region. So you can almost in a way, if you have a general area, you can almost channel them or at least you know, influence their movement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think you can. And what's interesting you bring that up because we're not the only people who go and build wells. Like in beginning of Afghans, there's a lot of well building, right because people needed water and you would find I want to say, I want to say, like Talibland built wells too. Yeah, so they would do their own kind of like humanitarian system. Like there was some weird stuff where you would be like, well, who build this one? And they're like, oh, so, I think just like we reconize a kind of these centers of gravity for being pro they did the same thing and they kind of rewarded. So it's kind of like the stick or the carry, right, Well, if you're friends with us, then we'll take care of If you're not friends, then we're going to come in shwack people. Yeah, and maybe maybe we do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'd like to think we don't.
Speaker 4: You know, well, I guess I mean that shwack the people in each way right, right, if you're doing if you're putting place, No, I think you're right too. And I think they see that, and I think that's what gives us the upper hand, is that we don't do that. I think you're exactly right.
Speaker 2: I mean the upper hand in terms of.
Speaker 3: The upper hand in terms of them not being hostile towards us. But there is there is a brutal efficiency with sort of the mafia.
Speaker 2: Style. It's play nice or will come in.
Speaker 4: It's fear, and you can exactly it's you know, it's it's influencing through just direct yeah, fears. So yeah, I don't think that we you know.
Speaker 3: I in my experience, you know, which isn't every experience. My experience, we've never we haven't played.
Speaker 4: With There may have been some folks who do that, but it's not because they're well, I wouldn't think directed, and it's certainly not at large scale and it's certainly not within your I would say, majority of your soft elements, and definitely not your conventional military. It kind of goes against doctrine, you know a lot of just doctrine and policy.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean, you know, you might get some rogue, you know, commander out there who has a you know, a small element has influenced over that might pull that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not within our roes, it's not within our TTPs, it's not.
Speaker 2: Within our our doctrine to do something like that.
Speaker 4: And I think that's actually important to know and think about. The military is an it's an organization, it's an entity. It has a value system attached to it, but it's not a person, right, And so there may be people doing those sites, but it may not reflect the policies and regulatories and common procedures of the larger entity and or how it expects its people to behave right. Right, So there's bad apples in everybody, and.
Speaker 3: And bad apples and people who go off the rails.
Speaker 2: Look, if you have some like young lieutenant with a.
Speaker 3: Platoon maybe a platoon plus out in some cop right, and they keep on getting hit or they keep on hitting IDs, And if he's there for eighteen months, at some point after he puts his.
Speaker 2: Third, fourth, fifth, due. Guy on a bird at some point.
Speaker 3: Does a switch flip for him and he goes into like the local village and he says, hey, look, my guys get hit again. I'm there's going to be hell to pay. Yeah, Like, I don't know who's doing it.
Speaker 2: You guys know who's doing it. My guys get like, that's not the way, That's not the way to do business. But I can see.
Speaker 3: An empathize with somebody who who goes who goes there?
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 4: I've actually thought a lot about this, but I think it's short sighted, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not I don't disagree.
Speaker 4: And the reason I say that is so because I think about this a lot, like because I think about what we asked, like why was there blue on green or whatever? I was like, well, I can tell you if you came to the States and you were in my neighborhood and you were doing questionable things and I didn't like, you might have that problem for me too, right, and so, and then if you think about, you know, later, some of the stuff where you're you're overseeing indigenous forces and especially in their areas where they came from, the their neighbors, friends, brothers. Now, you don't always know what your neighbors are doing. So that's the problem I have. It's like, I live in a neighborhood right right, there are seventy five hounses. I don't know. I don't know what the hell half the people are doing in their houses. I don't know if they're doing criminal acts. I don't know if they're who they're talking to. I don't know what they're doing. Now, maybe there's the rumor mill in some places, but I was like, for a large part, people can be doing bad stuff in a close proximity to you and you truly not know anything about it. Yeah right, No, I agree, Like your next door neighbor could be a child molest a rapist and beating his wife, and if you not know anything about it, you may have subtle signs like hey, something's weird with this family. But so from that aspect of it, I'm like, you know, I can see where the natural instinct would be till one hundred percent do that.
Speaker 2: But I think if you wouldn't think.
Speaker 4: It through and actually like, okay, is it plausible and logical that they may not know anything about this? And if you go with just the stick and you know, I'm going to beat you or kill people until you tell me, and they don't. What are you going to get? You're going to get bad information? And I think that's why maybe some of those approaches are not the best approaches.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you, you know, And like I wouldn't condone, you know, like I said, a young lieutenant or captain doing that, I can just imagine their level of frustration and there their sense, you know, the inability to do anything, the sense of powerlessness, and the desire to do something to protect their people, even if that's something is toxic and not not well thought out.
Speaker 4: And you know, but you know again, and I guess I'm also open minded enough to also think that you can manage things in your area by being a good steward. And actually, hey, hey, we're going to talk about this, and who's ever's doing this needs to get out of here because you're putting my family at risk because you're doing these things. Right, So I think, you know, I can see both sides. I guess I can see them resorting to that because they feel like they're tied, they don't know what else to do as a leader, They feel a responsibility to show that they're doing due diligence to the people who are getting affected. And so I could see where they would they would feel like, I have no other choice but to go in with the stick because people are continue getting injured. I need to I need to stop this. I can't control this, right, And so it's a helplessness I.
Speaker 2: Think so too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, and that's what I mean that it's like it's a breaking point, I think.
Speaker 2: And I don't think this happened a lot. I didn't. I haven't heard of it happened a lot.
Speaker 3: But I can imagine the frustration at some of those smaller cops with not having assets, not having support, you know, not having you know, not being.
Speaker 2: Able to go out.
Speaker 3: Into the village and conduct you know, a med cap or you know, a build a well because it's just you and your line guys, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, anyway, I sorry, I did railed that. But so the operation of success do you stay down there for a while longer?
Speaker 4: So yeah, we stayed till the end of the tour. So once I completed, I hurried up, came back. I had, you know, I just basically, I I think I had to hurry and sell my house. I had to get it ready to sell because I'd been on brag now for a good number of years. No, I rented it. I had to rehabit to rent and then hurry up and just pack up and move and then move to the DC area and so so yeah, so then that that's that's my time is done for now. At Fort Bragg, I ended up going back. But so now I I left, and then you know, I ended up up there, and then I I kind of got what a lot of people get. You know, you really don't know, you don't know. And DC's a a big place that hold the national capital region, I should say, and and so you know, like most people, I'm like, hey man, We're like, you know, I have a point of contact, and I'm like, hey, where should I live?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where it starts out.
Speaker 4: And they're like, hey, you should probably you know, look at this area.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So I got given up a geographic area that I needed to kind of find a residence too, because if you're in the DC area, and if you've ever lived there, fifteen miles can take you.
Speaker 2: I was just you know, I was talking to you about that. I was like, I was like.
Speaker 4: After I got out of the service, I got offered to go back because I wanted to work and do policy right. Policy for the under Secretary of Health Affairs is what I wanted to do because I had learned that I could shape things through policy. And I've been taught and mentored by actually somebody who was the unit the med start major and and so so. But anyways, if you ever been up there, like it's critical where you picked to live, because your life can be hell for however long you're there. And so luckily I picked a good place because I'm living on the Beltway. You know, for those that live around there, it's probably like this, Like you know, it's like four miles will take you an hour to go four miles.
Speaker 3: I honestly think the traffic in that area is much worse than traffic in New York. Traffic here can it can get messy, but I feel like there it's always messy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, traffic there could be brutal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you don't, like if I needed to go to our headquarters, which was much more central, if you did not leave that building by three thirty and you had to go over the bridge, and you know in Alexandria. Then you weren't getting home till seven o'clock at night. So it was it was And I was like, man, some days three hours each way in traffic. It's like six hours of my life every day is in traffic. Which yeah, so so yeah. So so I get there and like most people, I you know, I'm like, okay, what do you do day one? Like, what's day one? That's what most people want to know. What's what's day one? Look like? Well? Day one looks like meet me in a parking lot, meet me at you know, the the KFC over here, and then you get you get you get escorted, you know, get through the into the building, and then uh, you know, it's it's it's a whole different environment, you know. And it's like, you know, if you folks who worked around skiffs before, you get very used to just like leaving your phones. Well, if you're in a typical soft element, you know, your electronics and your watches aren't a big deal. But you know, it's like, hey, if you have anything electronics, you know. So that was all new to me. Yeah, you know, I I dealt with it, you know, going into certain place with working for Jay sock overseas and things like that, but never for my everyday work and so you know, so that was kind of new and and so yeah, so you know, I get there and uh, surprisingly the organization I was a part of, I was ended up being on the on the manning role. So there there's a lot of medics who've been in there over time. So I was a medic. So that's that's one important distinction. So I was if if if, yeah, that's what I was. I was. I was hired to be a direct support medic.
Speaker 3: So so just to break down the difference or when you when you're saying this that it would be like it'd like be sort of like being a range of battalion that you have your line cartoons who are who are the main effort or not necessarily the main effort, but but they're the technical experts in in what they do, and then.
Speaker 2: You're there as direct support to those.
Speaker 4: One hundred Yes, so that's one hundred percent right. So so yeah, so let let me all rewind a bit and then we'll pick back up. So, going through the the the screening process, they make it very clear that that's what you want to do, right, and they ask you that, and you know, and and I kind of asked, like.
Speaker 2: Well, what else can I do? Well?
Speaker 4: No, no, I didn't. I didn't ask that because I didn't I had no desire. And that's an important thing. And actually later on I was part of building their enhanced selection program for medics.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: I ran the very first one as the kind of enhanced screening. Sorry major, And but yeah, you you do not want folks who want to do something else. If you want to do something else, you need to go do that, right. What you're here to do is to be DS medic. And then we had two kinds of medics. We had clinical medics and direct support medics. And so to a direct support medic we pulled from all services and from except yeah, all services that actually have medics. Marines don't have medics. And and essentially a soft background. You had to have soft brack and you had to have certain combat qualifications. That's what I ask. You know, it's like you know why, you know, how did I make how did I make it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: How did I get this par And they're like I'll never forget. They're like, you're right, and nobody's here by a mistake and so that was that was it was pretty fulfilling just to hear that. And then you know, the next thing, you know, because it was I had already went through the I guess the screening portion, and I won't talk about that because it's it's important to keep that that component protected. Yeah, And and so they're like, we're looking for folks who will reach for the brass ring knowing they could be styrofoam and hoping they could be brass. And so I was like, Okay, that's a lot to think about. But essentially, it's like it's willing to try something unknown and that we can't talk to you about and we're not going to And so that's why it's really important to keep that just not for people to know. And I think it's important for people to know things that are out there and to challenge yourself because I think that where we are in today and I don't know how folks feel, but it's just how I feel. You know. I have two young sons who are in the military. All three of my sons served, all paratroopers. Proud of that, and I think that we have a culture that's and it's throughout time we pay homage to the court jesters and not the gladiators, and folks need to have an appreciation for the folks who keep our nation safe, and folks and young service members and people and civilians who have ambition and want to challenge themselves. They need to know there's other things out there. And even soft is the best way I can describe it as soft, as like a multi story building and there's floors, and even the organization that I was part of has floors where there's people who work at the first floor and they kind of do first floor things, and then there's people on the twentieth floor, and the people on the twenty fourth floor do things that people on the first floor don't even know about, right, And then there's buildings across the street that they do other things at, and so there are a lot of things. If you have ambitions to do things, I think it's important to know that there's things out there, and those are the people that you should really respect and admire. And I have the utmost respect and appreciation for being able to be a part of that organization because it's extremely special. And I didn't really going back full circle to where we are is when I signed in. I didn't realize how special of a place I was at, and I certainly didn't feel worthy of being there. And I had signed in, so going to my background, right, I'd done some things right, and I experienced combat and loss and was working with you know, Tier one elements essentially overseas, and you know, and I'm signing in with you know, another guy. So I'm medic number five and he's six, or vice versa. So there's there's only seven of us for this whole place, and we have other medical people, but direct sport medics and and he so I was a sixty whiskey whiskey one, a SOCCA medic, and he was in eighteen Delta who was also an eighteen Bravo and who had also been a sodic and a sephardic and all this instructor stuff, and you know, and I was like, I was like, man, I gotta step my game up, you know, and and so you know, I really had an appreciation. And it was really like it's like you be, you know, a small fish back in a big pond. I felt like where I was before I became a big fish, and you know, I knew what I needed to do, and I was very I felt I was extremely good medic and very competent medic. And I don't say that with an ego. I worked hard to be one of the best medics and I think the inventory, you know, and and so now I I think, I think I made it to the major leagues and I got to step my game up on a small fish again and uh so so yeah, So it was just I was surrounded by very impressive people. And I'll and that's just with respect to the medical section. You know, people who were extremely accomplished, and you just kind of get humbled instantly. Again You're like, okay, this is this is next level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because I want to focus real quick on what you say. You know, we've talked about soft getting a line share of the glory, but also when we talk about soft, we are talking about shooters getting a line share of the glory. Uh but there are shiit hot mechanics that make that mission possible, right, Like people who aren't just content to go out to the motor pool and do the do the service, Like there are people who continually learn who can make magic. There there are there are there are cooks who care about their jobs there are you know, like, no matter where you are, you don't have to be sort of the tip of the spear to be the tip of the spear of of your field. And one of the things I always appreciate about the military was just the vast number of opportunities if you want to go get it, you know, if you ask around, if you put in those forty one eighty seven's, you know, for every school you can think of, and you know, like the opportunities are there a lot of times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I think you touched on an interesting point. So later on my career when I went back to BRAG, you know, as a senior leader on the base, you kind of get hosted and kind of toured around and you know, and I got invited over to the organization at BRAG and they gave me a tour. And so it was it was at lunch time and probably a lot of people know this, right, there's the places where the shooters sit at and the place where the other people sit at. It's kind of like high school. It was really odd, but it was essentially like, oh, we sit over here, and I was like, that's that's okay, that's different, you know, and but and I noticed that even working with the guys in the Navy at the beach, it's very much us and them's when it comes to the support folks. I can say, although there's a very clear distinction in line of who's the guy and who's not the guy, the the acceptance and the respect mutual respect for what people do was beyond something I've ever experienced before. And you definitely when you're in soft and especially a CE guy, you kind of know you're a sea again, right, You kind of know, and your ranger probably working with I'm guessing with Delta, you kind of know you're arranging right, there's no mistake and so and there's gonna be times where they draw that line, I'm guessing when you're in supporting them. And so there it was very much different you were. You were much I think it was because of just the necessity to support things they did and keep them going, because those guys it's different, they don't And and I'll try to keep this focused on just how I sure supported folks from a medical perspective and kind of leave it at that, because I think it's still pretty cool to be to be quite, to be quite honest and and so. But yeah, so those guys they a lot of times it's not like you're going and coming back. There's some folks that do that, they come and go, but there's some folks who go and they just go and they're gone, and everything's got to keep going for them because folks, you know, they have families and they have everything on the backside. And so you it's the thing that I seen, like my experience with the military, and again just keeping it from the healthcare centric, your families aren't getting seen at the age station, right, right, it's not normal. There are some other elements that actually do extend a little bit more for the family, but that's one of the components. Like the family's very taken care of. And so, you know, the positive light is there's folks doing this, and I think that they know that their families are being taken care of, and we would do anything to take and it's very concierge based medicine. It's like, hey, if I need to, you know, at the you know, six o'clock at night, run over and drop some medicine or pills off to somebody's house. That's not abnormal. And you got to think this is like, you know, you're a medic and normally, like in a in a normal we'll just say, in a conventional unit, you're kind of your times practicing medicine ends at like E five, E six, you know, you're e seventy eight still like doing sick hall and passing out pills and taking care of people's families and making sure they're taken care of and so so there's that dynamic of the job where it's it's making sure that they just have every their health stuff and order, and then there's everything that you may not think of that you need to do to make sure that they will be taken care of medically if something would happen, and so that gets pretty pretty that's pretty interesting. So it was the first you know, with the well, let me let me pause on that and kind of go back to where we were. So so I get there.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I I derailed things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's okay, it's it's a it's a I definitely want to touch on it. But so going back to what I got to, so I get there, and you know, I'm just learning, I'm taking on all the information you know, I'm getting, you know, just in processing, and then I'm going to where I'm going to work out because not everybody works at the same place, and so I'm, you know, getting told where where I'm going to work. I already kind of know because it's where I'm going to live, so I know the area. But then I kind of get my headquarters stuff done and then go out to to where I'm going to work and we find out that we were We traditionally did not participate in a this tasking, which is if you've ever been a part of JAYSK or the organization or any one of the units in there, like we touched on before you know the place exists, you don't know what they do. Like I feel comfortable, I've talked to enough people with and without telling you anything, because people like, where do you what did you do? That's the first thing. It's off, like the butt sniffing, Well, I worked up in the DC area. They either know where they don't know, and if they know, it's they think they know everything, but they probably don't. The reality is that's okay, And and if they don't know it all, then it's too much to you just leave it alone, just like, well, there's something else up there and that's where I work. You just kind of leave it at that. So we didn't play in these taskings. And so we were getting the taskings to do the mega stuff. And I think you've had folks talk about that before. So the medic whoo who had kind of brought me in and recruited me, he had just came and now we were going on a second rotation. They needed somebody to backfill him on a rotation, so I had or he was just getting ready to go on his.
Speaker 2: And I needed to get spun up.
Speaker 4: So I had to do all my you know, I got improcessed, and then I have to do all my basically training to get me full mission qualified because to be a direct support medic, so I had to do a paramedic transition because at the time, I don't know if they get paramedics certification out of SOCCAM.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: If they lost it for a while, they schoolhouse lost it. I don't know if they lost it, you know.
Speaker 2: Or if they see the value in it or whatever. For whatever reason they.
Speaker 4: Did, they weren't paramedics and that was the requirement. If you're a medic, you need to be a paramedic. Okay, so I had to go do a paramedic. So it's a one month crash course where you basically learn all the information about the medicines and all the stuff you don't deal with in military medicine, cardiactor and just intocrine system disorders, and geriatric medicine, pediatric medicine, basically everything beyond trauma medicine right military medics, no trauma, and then operations because you got to know where to park the ambulance, how far it needs to be back just all this weird stuff. That have a paramedic exam, So you go through a crash course and do that. Then you have to do your shooting courses, and you have to go through driving training where you go and do all that. So you're shooting and driving, and then paramedic and then just some basic just I guess in doc training. So I completed all that to backfill and get him. In the meantime, I learned about another program that they were doing for medics, but because of how I looked, I wasn't a good fit for that program, so I didn't get to do that. And then the weird thing is there's people who kind of didn't want to do the tactical stuff anymore. So they went and kind of gravitated toward that, and I was still okay doing you know, running and gunning, if you will type stuff, or of your wearing uniform type stuff, you know, in a combat zone. And so I was was once I finished all that, signed up and that was my next deployment. So roughly, I want to say it was probably less than a year coming back from Columbia. Then I was back in Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: And you were in a rock shortly before, so you've been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so and the thing is like, you know, like I had mentioned just what what of her number it was. I think by the time I got there, I'd done five or six seven trips throughout the world and it had caught up with me. But the excitement of something new, you kind of suppress all that, right because you want to You're eager, you we're all in right, Like that's the thing is, like you got something going, I want to be on. You're like fighting for to go out the door. It's like no, no, no, I want to do that. Let me and so you know, send me, right, That's what everybody says. So so the uh, so you know, I get fully ramped up, get funny story about the organization and the medical folks. We didn't have a history of actually having medics forward in places and and or doing those kind of things. So the gear kind of sucked. You would think you would have all the best ships, right right. Oh No, Like I went to the headquarters to get my so I get my drawl and you get like all the The cool thing about is you get all the like the ARII stuff, Like it's like an ari I vomited on you. You get like money and you get to go buy all this stuff, and you like, you got all this stuff you really don't eat, like these super cold weather sleeping bags and seven hundred dollars boots, and you know, it's it's just like stuff you're a kid in a candy store and like, you know, so you take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: And so but what I didn't have was like.
Speaker 4: Just the uh the weapons system, like the optics were just kind of kind of antiquated older stuff, and just the body armor. It was just like older play carrier stuff. It wasn't like newer stuff. So so yeah, that was the first odd thing about the organization. Gave me all this shit, but once I got into to damn Nick, they gave me a full issue. So it's they took care of me this so but they did that for everybody, so all the augments came together. So this was this was September of two thousand and nine. So get down there to do my in processing and you kind of just do an in doc and you get some legal briefs and then you go and meet your folks at the squadron and then you meet your team team leader and then you go through their version of the army calls at CIF, but it's like a unit level. They could get your unit issue, you go to supply and get all your your stuff and then next thing you know, on a plane. So went from like civil affairs to on a plane with Sealed Team six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I mean you you had already been exposed to the task.
Speaker 2: You've already been tasked to them. It's just that now you're in a much.
Speaker 4: More direct I think that is the key difference, right, because it's like you're it's kind of like being attached to an ODA, right, Like you're an attached but you're not really doing their stuff. You're doing your stuff working with them. So I think a lot of people get caught up in this stretching it. You know, it's like stretching what you've done, and it's like, look, at the end of the day, I did my job right. That's was my job to do, and I did my job right, and I worked with those guys. But that doesn't mean I was one of those guys. And it doesn't mean that I had their training, nor does it mean I knew, you know, like everything or did everything they did right. There was times we touched and did things together, and there's you know, jointly operations, but then there's for a large part they're doing their things and we're doing our things, and they're synergistic in the fact that in the mission planning, in the higher pitcher they work together. But that that doesn't mean you have some civil affairs guy in the stack with you. That's not how it is, or at least that wasn't my experience. And so while I had done stuff with those guys, it was much more after the fact. But now it's like, Okay, your job is to be a direct part of the team. You're I mean, you're a shooter first, right, everybody says that, you know, you're you're a shooter first, soldier first, right, and so so yeah, So that's the interesting fact about coming from that organization is people really don't question you. That was the one thing that I noticed. It's like almost like a credibility thing. Uh. You know, I'd like to think it was because me, but I think it's just like they don't ask and you don't say anything, and they're like, okay, well, all right, you know, this is what we're going to do, and you're you're part of the team. And I know that wasn't the same for everybody else. And so on my rotation, you know, there was a guy from I think from jay Sock, Maine, and then they had like one of their medics, and then they had they had some medics from the a medic because there wasn't a lot, you know, I think there was only I don't know how many teams there they'd fit on both hands, how many teams outstations there were. But from the one sixtieth and so I knew because he had told me. We had talked before and we kind of keep you know, we talk back and forth on the you know, on the computer chat and he's like, yeah, you know, they're giving me problems. They're they don't they're not going to let me go out with them, you know.
Speaker 2: It's one younger younger Yeah, and I don't you know.
Speaker 4: And not to say that happened to all of them, and it's not to say that they all didn't, but it was just at that point of time with that and guy and so. But for some reason, and I thought I attributed to it's like, Okay, we don't you know, know kind of what you do. But if you say that, you know you're direct support medic here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's kind of kind of kind of weird out of curiosity.
Speaker 3: How come the Omegas or the Seals needed attached medics when they have their.
Speaker 4: Own cormant Ah, they didn't at the time. So that's actually a good point. So all these units were growing at the time. So again, like I told you, I was medic I think I think five right, And that means like on the manning they're authorized five right, because they're they're manning documents and at the time they were using pjs. So the Assault Force I think was all using pgs at the time. It was actually one of our guys who later went to them who built their med section and I think he got he was from I think Marsk and he took a bunch of Marsac Corman's and built their med section before they had medics. But they were clinic medics. And I could be wrong in this, but that was my experience signing in because they had medics. I remember they had a female, a male and the ones that I worked with, but they worked at like so they were they worked at the Jaybad clinic. They deployed Ford, but they worked at the clinic. That was interesting.
Speaker 3: I will have to ask somebody from ye from them, because I mean Corman could go through buds and then and that well that was the problem.
Speaker 4: That was what I was told. If you were going there to assess, it was kind of like beneath you. So it's much different than what I've heard of. Again, like so, I've never been part of either of those two organizations. H but what I had heard, it's much more socially acceptable for an eighteen Delta to go be a direct support medic for Delta, then a seal Corman to go be a Corman there.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Oh, I get it.
Speaker 4: I so, if they're going to assess, they're going to be a so.
Speaker 3: So, same way with a condultas if they assessed, if they go through selection, then they're then they're not really I'm sure then their primary role is a shooter, yet they're so so, they're not necessarily part of the the medic.
Speaker 4: They go through two different tracks.
Speaker 2: I get it, I get it. That makes sense. Okay, So our organization was just no different.
Speaker 3: So they so so they hadn't set up any corman that that screened, any seal corman that screened. They were a shooter first, so they wanted some sort of direct support.
Speaker 2: They weren't. They weren't going to do.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't. What was told to me is they won't even come screen to be a medic.
Speaker 2: Right then they screened to be a shooter.
Speaker 4: Exactly, which is much different because a lot of delta's really enjoy I guess, and there's not to say that there's some that don't. Right, But like my TL was a prior corman who was then a shooter. So he was, but he was a shooter, right, he knew, he knew how to be a medic. He was a little bit aided, but he knew how to be a medic, but so Bragg had a fully functional med section and could support themselves. They relied on augments, which is why that makes sense, Okay, otherwise there would be no reason to task right to fill their medic bullets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I I don't know why in my mind, Like if an eighteen delta doesn't screen for direct support but does actually does the long walk, they're not even though they still have that medical knowledge, their first and primary mission is as a shooter, right, So same same with damn Neck.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think they've all offered them positions. So I've been told, like if you go to the brag based organization and you don't make it, there's a pretty good chance if you want a job and you are in eighteen delta that you can be a direct support.
Speaker 2: Makes sense.
Speaker 4: Their organization, I think, is the same, but no one is willing to take it. They want to go and I guess screen again, our organization we have the opportunity to because a lot of those guys are medical from whatever services they are. But we've at least in my tenure there for six years, you knew that that wasn't their passion. They wanted to do that, and so that they would screen. A lot of them would screen, and then you would just figure out that they they were better off to go back and track and go be a team sergeant or go be whatever they're going to do, because you know what I mean, like all of the medical people went up there with every intention and you have There's something that I used to say, it's you have to be comfortable being the man standing next to the man, right, and you got to know your role and be comfortable in that role, right. And some people aren't comfortable in that role. And it's always like, well, it's the easy foot in the door. I'm going to go screen to be medical, and then once I figure it all out, they'll get you know, then I'm going to go and you can pretty much all those folks are weeded out because they'll usually tell you yeah, yeah, and it's part of the process. It's figuring that out.
Speaker 3: And they don't want to put that investment in somebody if they're just then they want to go to you know, be the guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's that's that's I think a key difference between the three organizations and so so yeah, so yeah, getting so so back on track. So we all get there, we get assigned our teams, and so I ended up back in you know, back back going back to Afghanistan, ended up going back to a Sadabad. I'd been there before doing my round robins of payments to folks, and so I'd already experienced. I kind of knew the landscape and so, but never really knew that that bait, that concrete building, what that was. You know, it's it's it's a very different struggle. There's like one building that's like one of these things are not like the other, and so and so getting to work there on the compound there and so I get there and right away I can say that was instantly like integrated well. And and a lot of guys do and integrate well. And I think we can talk a little bit about that. There's some there's there's some history with that organization and just outsiders either are you talking about the organization or the organization are parting? Okay, So so yeah, so being over there and then outsiders coming in and either something happened. I mean, you just look at the media. I don't need to talk about the scenarios. But and so I didn't experience that. I had a great team leader, phenomenal guy. At the time. I was now an E seven. I actually got selected for E eight on the trip. He was a E six, which is really weird. That's the things the Navy because even though I was like an E seven selected for EA, I was kind of like the equivalent of a Navy E four because I wasn't a chief, right, Like that's some weird shit, Like I don't know what it is with these little chief boxes and ship, Like, I don't know. I got a brother's and navy. So my brother is a nuke in the Navy and an officer. He was enlisted and became an officer. But for some reason, there's like I don't know what it is with the Navy and the chief thing.
Speaker 3: Like it's it's it's second tier royalty, right, because the officers are royalty. They have their own mess deck on on the ship, and then there's also the chiefs mess on the ship and then all the all the uh you know, Uh.
Speaker 4: So it's institution. It's institutional elitism. Yes, yes, so it's it's breeding it. Yes, yes, that's interesting. Yeah, it's like what you try to weed out, but they I mean they wear different uniforms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Then then yeah, I guess you get a stripe on your leg when you're.
Speaker 2: In the army. So yeah, I mean that going for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's you know it all it all goes back to, you know, a ship being its own kingdom with the you know, the the captain of the ship being the king or queen. And then then you have your officers and offscer country and everybody like jumping to the side when the officers are walking down the hallway. And and like I said, there are different there are different levels of chow halls. The ascer's chow hall which is very nice. There was the chief chow hall, which is nice, you know, just not a little bit nicer or a little less nice. And then you have the enlisted and we're down there eating you know, well, I mean great food pants it in an adobo and you know and everything.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so here was another thing that I think that helped me out as far as integration. There was this medication at the time called what was it called, I think it was it was Factor seven A I think. So it's basically medication that helped with clotting if you know, if you were shot. It was extremely expensive. I think it was like eighteen hundred dollars a while, and hardly anybody was carrying it, especially not point of injury folks. And so, and I forgot a lot of the components of it. But essentially, like when I was learning about a guy who went back through met refresher, so part of being a you know, a Sochomo or eighteen delta or seal, a PJ whatever, you have to do your meta refreshers every two years. I had heard people talking about it, and I was like, hey, I want to be carrying that because if something happens to these guys, I want to be able to do it. So I told our docs, and so part of the cool thing about that place is the docs are like, Okay, well, if you want to have it, then you need to educate us on it, and then we'll write the protocol. But we want to make sure that you know how to use it safe and effectively and and that you're not going to hurt somebody. And so I basically had to do all this research and then essentially the docs wrote a protocol and I was able to have it and and carry it on every mission. And I told it and like I said, my my team leader was a corman, so he had kind of told the guys and he's like, hey man, this guy actually like got us this like latest ship that's out there, and he's one of the only medics carrying it.
Speaker 2: And so they had thought that was pretty.
Speaker 4: Pretty forward thinking and they appreciated that, and so I helped that. I think that helped me with my integration. Like I said, like I like it's as an augment, like like even like the room assignments, right, Like.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like the chowel, right.
Speaker 4: But my room was right next to their rooms, all in order, so some of the guys, like some of the opguments were down the hall the other rooms. Yeah, and so you know I had gotten the one of the prime real estate and ice rooms and stuff. So you know, just all these little subtleties that they're like And I'll tell you that's the weird thing of my career. It's, like I said, like I described, like I was a medic for all these different people, like going and integrating with the Rangers, and then this ODA and then this io cell and then this and now I'm here and so you you kind of got to learn how to build rapport.
Speaker 2: With your civil affairs paying off, right.
Speaker 4: And so it's like, hey guys, like here's you know, and help people. It's it's always like and the other thing is build and do like help out right. Yeah, it's you know, just do things without being asked. It's a huge like it's a it's actually a skill. I actually look for people character trait, you know, just the ability to to just see something you need done and do it and then don't have to wait to be asked and so so yeah, so I you know, instantly hit the ground and and so things ramped up pretty quick there. We had done. You know, the our team leader, I think was being observed. There was a senior chief there, but he kind of just set back and kind of just I think he was mentoring him, and but he was kind of he actually assessed us. So he was actually assessing us. He would take us on hikes. If you've ever been to Abad, he would take us as a thing called bull run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I remember I totally forgot about bull run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so and for time and oh man, I'll tell you so I already told you my gear was shit, but I got some good gear.
Speaker 2: But what I didn't know is.
Speaker 4: At least these seals, I don't want to say that every all of them did it. They actually their ideal of a basic load and the armies traditional or the SF of what you carry for ammunition and weaponry is a little bit different. So like so for me, like anywhere I go, i'm you know, you train, train like you fight, right, So, and I was trained a basic load of six magazines and one in the gun, and then you have a side arm and you have magazines, and then you have obviously your water, your radius or an extra bat you know, extra battery, your nods and and then me I carried at the time, I kind of divorced my AID bag a long time ago and created a march belt essentially a battle belt system that everything was configured on my kit or in this so I didn't have to carry an AID bag. And what I learned is I was way too heavy because you know, I'm carrying an IN four. These guys are carrying in P seven, right. You know I've had I've got seven magazines, they've got three and one in the gun. They don't carry side arms. They're like, and so I had to learn. It's like and I you know, luckily enough they were willing to teach me and edue ga me. They're like, hey, it's too slow, don't transition move Let somebody else shoot them. Just all these little TTPs that they were picking up and learning because I think a lot of the tactics were changing at that time frame, because they were losing a lot of guys I think in Iraq due to kind of like the old room clearing TPP. And so they were instantly sharing that with me. They were like, hey, this is how we're gonna This is how you need to learn how to clear a room. Now you don't do this, you know his this is not hostage.
Speaker 2: There's no hostage in the room, right.
Speaker 4: And so and for me, like that was new to me. Like I had no formal CQB training. I had some just unit level stuff from having rangers and stuff teach me that were my team sergeant. But as far as a formal like a classroom, you know, you would go to this course and complete this course like a sephardikers you know, any of those kind of courses. I didn't have any of that. So essentially it was like the kind of they gave me that training and sure I knew what I was doing, and so that was you know, again like they didn't have to do that, right, and there's probably some that wouldn't do that. They would just be like, Okay, well, if you don't know what the fuck you're doing, then you probably shouldn't be here. And so, you know, I truly appreciate that aspect of that, and you know, I still communicate with a lot of those guys to this day. But so, you know, fast forward, they make sure good to go and we start getting operations, so you know, we start having you know, targets that are actionable, and I think we did some small stuff here and there, but then the main stuff started happening around December of two thousand and nine. And there's a lot of interesting events that happened in December two and nine, at least for me.
Speaker 2: And so the first one was.
Speaker 4: Had we had a pretty good target. Happened right before Christmas. I think it was like on the twenty fourth, so it's like right, you know, Chris, So I don't know if it was the twenty third because obviously operating period of Darkness or if it was twenty third I think it was. We end up hitting it on Christmas, but pretty big target. And and so as the me, so like my role, like the medics job is not to get shot right right. It's kind of like the team leader. And I have to explain this to people sometimes. Like the medics, I always wondered that, and I always question that about the range, Like I was never in range of battalion, but I hear these stories of the medics in the stack, and like I was been the number one in two and I'm like, why, Yeah, what was.
Speaker 2: Their plan if they if they went down, if you got hit. Yeah, So my.
Speaker 4: Job was to essentially be an interior blocking position. So basically they clear a compound right outside that door. And so that's what happened on that house, you know. Really, so this is we are in Kunar Providence. Those mountains are very relentless, like so you know, I don't know how long the office was to walk in there and carry those fucking ladders and everything and all the stuff that you know about. And and we have obviously our folks from the agency with us, and then our team of of Afghans that are that are that do these type of operations, and so so we get straight set up on the the compound. There's like a little low wall in front of it. It's kind of like this compound structure that's going right up. It's like we walked in through the water, like through the through the river, and then there's houses and then there's like a huge like cliff and it'll come into play later because there's these fighters that come in after. But essentially we set up on this compound and as soon as we get up on this wall, the on the terrace, it's like a three story or maybe a two story structure, maybe it's just two stories, we start seeing heads pop up. And as soon as those heads pop up, that's obviously when shots start getting fired.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: As soon as that happens, my job is already know where I'm supposed to be. You know, we have our building or our grid reference system, and I know I'm supposed to go to building the ten series building and sit right here. And so as soon as I get in position, I see two guys walking and so I end up shooting both of those guys and they finish. You know, this stuff, these compounds get cleared in like it's like it's like minutes.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 4: This is not like you're staying there all day. Yeah, I mean you've done this work, so you know, it's like super fast. And so it was my first experience though, so for me it's like it's it's burned in me.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's like a lot of things you remember your first right. So, and so come to find out, like you know, everything's done. You know, they've kind of got all the kids kind of crawled up and you know they're kind of keeping them them calm, and you know, people are crying. It's all the typical stuff that happened. Women are crying and screaming and kids are upset, and so you're kind of like putting them in different rooms and.
Speaker 2: They go over and in.
Speaker 4: The one of the guys that I shot in up being the targets. You know, it's like it's pretty cool for me. You know, it's like, oh man, I just I just got one of the guys on the target list.
Speaker 2: So so.
Speaker 4: Actually know what that's right right before we right after that those two guys, we started taking guys. That's where the cliff comes into place. They started kind of maneuvering a whole bunch of people. So there's a lot of cast that was called in, so that all the cast is is kind of coming in on.
Speaker 2: This this j tax calling in the hilltop.
Speaker 4: I think some of the guys find a bunch of I don't know if it's like fertilizer, what it is like bomb making material. So he's one of the one of the guys that is kind of rigging all that up to kind of a bit bit later as we're kind of moving off the objective. But so then they're corralling the kids, they're doing I guess all the you know, taking all the s SC photos, and that's when we kind of figured out, oh, this guy's him, and so I'm like bumped up and but so it's kind of a I guess a great target, the guy that you're actually going for, you actually got him. No one else. People who are actually maneuvering, they're kind of eliminated. We find like and I still have some of this stuff, some of these like the they're these black like embroideryed head I have one like hanging in my office and and Soldier's I D cards, So we actually find like soldiers ID cards, US Soldier's I D cards and some US uh you know in four magazines Green Tip route, you know, so we actually find stuff where these guys actually they were involved with with hurting US soldiers and so great mission.
Speaker 2: Great target.
Speaker 4: We kind of walk out, you know, the long walk out, and we get back and so we're doing you know all that, the the additional ssee stuff and then just kind of nothing big and then it's Christmas, right, yeah, you know, and so so we kind of have like a down day and then the next day another target popped. So you know, you're kind of they're triggered by something, you know, something either human ors again is obviously triggering these things to pop. And so the next day we get another one pop. So it's really it was kind of odd because you got to think about it's like, so sitting there since I think we get in there mid October, but now in December we're actually getting some good targets. So there's a lot of like waiting. Yeah, you're just kind of waiting for something to go. You're building conn up. That's that's where I learned about connap parties. So before I had never done this stuff. This was like we had a for every one of these there was a fully done Connat package already done. So so the the next right after Christmas, another one popped. So we initially go into planning and getting everything going and coordinating and figuring out it's again, we're going to do like an off set drive in and then do an off set and walk in. And I have the same response, same task. You know, nothing changed, right. My job is to kind of I think it was me in the turp for some re I think the urp was always positioned with me in the beginning. They would pull through and if they need him, they would tell me, and then I would send them to what building system or you know, what compound and what building in the structure and and so same same type scenario, a little bit different layout. They start funneling through and then same thing. Two guys like, but this one it's like really close. It's like it's probably like it was an elevated like it was almost like a wooden structure versus your typical mud wall, and it it's.
Speaker 2: Crazy as to sound like a like a rear porch deck.
Speaker 4: Okay, but I just remember I could only see half of them, and so same type thing. So two guys kind of they're going through, you can hear them going through, and then two guys go out and same scenario. You know, it's like I can't see what they're doing there, but they kind of they were out. The door popped down and then you know, eliminate the potential threat and I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what they're what's below.
Speaker 4: And so finish go through the whole compound and they finished clearing the compound. We don't find the target. There's you know, it's like most targets, right, you have people squirting off in different directions, maneuvering to different realms. It's an important word. I learned to never say the word squirter. There a square, they're maneuvering to a position of advantage. And so potentially that's the guy made it. So we you know, everything's done and we start heading back the next morning, like it's chaotic and so I don't know how the message came in, but essentially it was the story that you kind of started saying. It was like, hey, we just had something. I think it was probably like the elder for the area or something like, hey, people came in and and and murdered you know, ten people or twelve people last night, and so instantly everything gets shut down. We're a full shut down and we're on full shutdown. And as soon as that happened, all of the all of our counterparts from the agency side disappear, like they all got on helicopters and left and rolled out and and so it's it's you know, you know, I'm an augment. I'm like, okay, this is not good. Oh rewind one on Christmas because you send your the sit reps up before you know, the after action of the mission. The unit commander called me, so I'm a new guide to the unit. So actual unit commander calls me on the phone and was like, hey, you're right. You know, I got word of you know, first name. You know, it's kind of still with when you're dealing with the command, even though everybody in softas first name, you know, when you're dealing with the commander, he's like, I heard about you know everything, because I got briefed, and you know, just want to say you're doing a good job. And so it was it was really really kind of yeah, just cool. You know, it's like the Unich.
Speaker 2: You had got the jackpot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was it was really cool and so had had that. Then two days later this happens. So now there's this It starts getting thrown around like hey, there's we need to investigate this.
Speaker 2: And it was because now did they say there were kids murdered? Also?
Speaker 4: They did, So that was the thing that they were actually handcuffed, are Zif tied zif tied up and executed. It's actually executed, is the way it said. And and that's not what happened, right, and so.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, this is not good.
Speaker 4: That same timeframe though, up in I think it was Maza Schory mez the again because you have the outstation teams doing this mission, and then you still have the assault force doing their thing, right, so the so the strikeforce, so they're doing their thing, so they needed to ramp up, I guess, so they pulled all of their two because I think I don't know how they break it down, but I think like one of the troops essentially divides people up and they run these like Omega outstations I think, and then they can consolidate if need to. And so that's what they did. Say they pulled each of these two basically organic to their organization. Guys, they got on a flight and they headed up to all link up to to hit a target and and so they're I'm there. So it's it's like you had the you know, the the chief of base, but I didn't really. It's so you know, I know, you should say hi in the little dining facility, but you're really not having conversations with them the you know, the the medics, you do, like the some of the the contractors that are working and and so, and I didn't know what to do. So then it got came down that they were sending out an officer and ended up being a general officer because they're thinking war crimes happened, and so you know, I I'm kind of, you know, kind of freaking out a little bit it. And so I call back and I think I was talking to the troopstar major and I was like, hey, man, like this is going on, what do you do? And he's just like, you do what you were told to do. And then I'll just leave it at that because I didn't really know like how to respond to a lot of things because again I'm I'm a medic. I'm not one of the other guys, so they have specific training for how to deal with situations and and and I didn't get those blocks of instruction and so so yeah, so uh, an officer flies out and I'm sitting there and he's taking my statement, and you know, I'm like, I'm like, oh man, this is this is not good.
Speaker 2: And uh he ended up the only people were left.
Speaker 4: It was like me and their intel because they had a you know, they have their their they bring their equivalent of the into as to essentially they're the team has it there their organic intel guys. So it's me and him and maybe somebody else.
Speaker 2: But were you the only one on target? Or were they on target? Also?
Speaker 4: No, he was not. And I believe I I don't know who they all they question, but I know of like the main core element because these teams are only so it's a medic two organic team guys from them, and then you have these other white side, the white side.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: They were gone and so they and I think one of those guys was rotating out because he did. And it's actually and so what was I'll say his name because he's he was on extortion.
Speaker 2: But j T.
Speaker 4: So j T was our augment he was our j tech, so he was our augment and he had made it I think through their green team. So they were flying a new augment in he was going back, I think, to do I guess the I don't know whatever what he had to do. And so and the other guy either he didn't go on that mission for some reason. But essentially, I think I was like one of the main guys who basically had to go through the scrutiny of this, and it was something new to me.
Speaker 2: I had never experienced it for and so you know, I.
Speaker 4: Went through that investigation, but it wasn't really investigation because like now have being like you know, in a command team of a military organization, I know what a fifteen six is, yeah, and all these so this is not It was more of collecting a witness statement.
Speaker 3: They knew that you guys had not handcuffeds it tied a bunch of kids and execute him, but they still had to go through the motion of Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you that I didn't know that at the time, and nobody basically gave me that peace of mind, right, And so it really kind of messed me up for a long time because I really started to question myself like did I did I need to shoot? Like your mind just so I already like have you know PTSD from everything else? And now so now I'm like, did it Did I just kill people that I didn't need to kill?
Speaker 2: Like what I know?
Speaker 4: I did everything I was supposed to do, and I started to question every action and so and so I didn't really know how to process that. So so, but to your point, basically it kind of like just went away. It wasn't like there was even any follow up. It just kind of this guy came out to your point, I think he was directed to do an inquiry or investigation.
Speaker 2: Yeah whatever. Yeah, they have to.
Speaker 4: Report to their government because their government was saying, hey, you're going out to do this. So it was like, I don't want to call it a check the box or whatever, but it's kind of what a hindsight, you know, looking at it, it was like, well, maybe that they were doing what they needed to do to fulfill their obligation to look into it.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that there were never any questionable killings of military age males on targets throughout theater throughout Afghanistan, but.
Speaker 2: You're talking about like two thousand and nine twenty ten.
Speaker 3: Right, people who had been in and out of theater by that time were used to the idea of you know, these killer teams killing kids, you know, like executing kids, of using human shields, of all this stuff that.
Speaker 2: Was not going on. They knew it wasn't going on, and but you still have to you can't just you can't just at the highest level, go that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so yeah, so that's the twenty six, twenty seventh, twenty eighth. We get to twenty nine December and if anybody knows about I think it was twenty nine or thirty December of two thousand and Yeah, we uh, instantly, I think Chief of Base got a call that a I think at Chapman they had just had a suicide. Yeah, yeah, and instantly. I didn't really know what was going on at the time, and to be quite honest, I still really don't know a whole lot about it today. But people were not okay with the procedures that were allowed to not be followed, and it was instantly being talked about. And I remember that, and I know that those folks, you know, they they made the ultimate sacrifice, right, decision, wrong decision. So I'm certainly not going to question their decision or shed bad light on them. But it was being talked about that the person in charge did not make the right decision and had told the other people to not follow the normal procedure in the sake of they were trying to build rapport with this person and to not do it and ultimately, you know, cost people their lives. And I remember the medic, So that medic, that the one sixtieth medic that I mentioned, he was actually there and that was his station, and he had told me the stories of you know, just trying to stop the bleeding and put a hold pressure. Man. I again, I don't like telling other people's war stories. People need to tell their own stories. I can always tell mine. But I remember him telling me, and you know, you remember certain things people say. But it could, like I said, it could be wrong of him trying to control the bleeding just out of someone's neck and not being able to do it, and they ultimately died. And again, like some of these things have led into me, same the things I've worked on and deal with today, just to simplify things and find solutions to deal with medical problems. But but yeah, so that was that was pretty interesting timeframe. So things after that, between that incident and our incidents, things not a lot went on after that because I think everything was pretty much shut down and so so that happened. I didn't hear anything else about that, and then I think I was in country for another two to three months. So that's a lot of time doing. I call it a camp improvement. You know, it's just like you're proven your worksplace and uh, you know, we did a lot of again, like I continued the report process. I remember these guys like they were still processing a lot of their losses at the time, and I can distinctly remember they had all these you know when you have like like a memorial, you'll have like the guy's face, and they were pinned up all around the base and it was all of their squadron guys, these little like stories about them and their life and you know basically said you know, basically their awards and decorations and the units they'd been in.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: I we had gotten this big printer in It was like this cool big printer.
Speaker 2: There was like this long and it did like photo quality.
Speaker 4: It was probably supposed to be used for masters and yeah, yeah, but I made posters for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I basically I took all of those those things from around. They were just like little random just snippets of old paper of these things that these guys saved. And I had made a big poster and put their image in their name and rank under it, and then I and in the middle of it was a an American flag with with their skull and bones, you know, the squadron I was with and and so and and framed it and hunged it up and put it right above the ones you walked out of the door. So and those guys really appreciated that, and uh and so yeah, and so you know, you you talk, you think about like all you know, I I watched these guys' stories, you know, and I still talk to some of them. Those guys were unpacking a lot, and you know, you you talk about like alcohol, right, So alcohols in soft overseas and it's probably inconventional forces to write you know, general order number one right right. That was the one difference about the Omega trips, Like the agency has bars. I don't know if they're supposed to or not, but I know General Macrystal actually walk through when I was there and actually went and seen their bars and was like, you know, peeking their head in there.
Speaker 2: And it's a full bar.
Speaker 4: It's not like hidden, it's not like in somebody's room behind something or in a mouth washed bottle.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a bar.
Speaker 4: And uh well, I guess the only ground glamorizer for people have a it's it's a shelf with alcohol.
Speaker 2: Right the open, and it's not like a bar.
Speaker 4: And so these guys, though I think some of them were, they're coping mechanism like most people's co be mechanism as alcohol, and there's some there's some functional alcoholics, highly functional alcoholics that were just and you I, as a medical person, could start to see that. And I didn't say anything about it. I didn't question it. I never seen any bad conduct, you know, I never seen it impair their judgment, their ability, but it was certainly worth noting that these guys are, like I looked at it, not through the lens of these guys are doing something wrong. These guys have something that's troubling them and they're dealing with it the best way that they can, as well as maintaining a heard of operational tempo, and so you know, I thought, like dealing with my own stuff seeing that, I was thinking, like, you know what, psychology is going to be a big issue and the coming years, this is becoming to be a long war, and you're seeing it pop up everywhere. Kind of the stuff you said, people experiencing mass loss, how do they cope with it? Taking out their anger vengeance? And I know it was talked about like those guys definitely avenge some of their teammates, and they would tell you the stories of it. And again it's not those aren't my stories to tell, but they certainly did do business and take care of business, and some people scrutinize them for that, and and maybe rightfully, so maybe not rightfully. So it's not me for me to judge or to pass judgment, but it's certainly something that they you know, they got to they'll carry that, you know. I think just like Vietnam veterans and other veterans from different wars, they're gonna have to to deal with deal with that stuff. And and and I think that's why we have the veterans suicide rates that we have. And uh, you know, hopefully we'll get to talk a little bit about it. I mean, I I got to experience it towards the end of my career, and and so I'm happy to share that just before awareness because I think it's important for people to not it. It's it's ok it's okay to judge it. It's not okay to judge. You can have judgment. But you you've never you know, it's the thing, you've never walked in their shoes. You weren't there, you don't know, So why you hindsight's always twenty twenty. It's it's you just don't know what the people are dealing with, right, and people were in perfect beings. I believe, you know, we're flawed. We make mistakes, you know. I'm a spiritual person, you know, and that's actually helped me. I think it's helped other people in the community. But to each their own and so but yeah, that's uh, that was that trip. That was that was a lot to unpact there, but that was that was a little bit a little bit of taste of that environment. So I got to experience a lot of different things thus far. And so now I get to you know, I get back to the unit and you know, sharing these things with with the folks there, and then we actually sustain that rotate that site for a good bit of time. And I can say everybody did not have the same experience I had.
Speaker 2: In terms of like integration.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certain guys dealt with integration. I can tell you. There's one guy who got he had a bad something happened where they had a personality conflict with his team and he was not from our organization but from another one, and he ended up getting beaten pretty good to the point where that he had to I think they put him in ic U. And you know, I've never heard that story public. It's well known in the medical community at JAYS, but it's not one of those stories that's floating out there. But that's one of the earlier stories of just some conflict. You know, why that happened, I don't know, but it definitely happened. And even one of our augments, we sent a guy and he didn't mesh well, and you know, he kind of got isolated and oh man, his phone linees cut and his computer lines cut for communication, and we thought we were going to have to get him out of there, just because we were worried about something happening to him, and luckily nothing did. He just kind of sat for a.
Speaker 3: While, and were these two incidents were they Were they solely with the Devreu guy or the damn Net guys, or were they also with like the Red guys.
Speaker 4: No, I'd never after that experience, I didn't work with the Rangers again, so I actually didn't even know they did those rotations, to be quite honest with you, until until recently. It was specifically with those guys. And again, like I had such a positive experience, I hate to even like I don't even know, I feel bad. It's like I almost feel like, well, why did you bring it up? Then? But it's for him. It's you know, it shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Have happened, right, so if you got put in the ICU on, it shouldn't have happened.
Speaker 4: And but it did happen. And I don't know why I wasn't there. But it's but it's but it's one of those kind of known thing. It's kind of one of those like it's just an ugly mark. I mean, it's it's a stain. It's a stain that doesn't need to be there. Yeah, it's like there's there's different ways to manage that. But again going back to the psychological aspect, I don't know. I don't know what happened that certainly wasn't justified nor should be tolerated, but I don't know the dynamics. So so yeah, so I get back from that and then it's you know, just going back and doing the normal stuff. Well it's not normal. Let me let me, let me just I guess, try to provide some a little bit of insight. What if I think what folks want to know is like, well, what do you do? And it's so what you do is you do a lot of high risk training, support and support people becoming part of that organization. And so really that's your role is to That's where I was going to a little while ago. Your job is just sure that every dynamic of the medical aspect of their job is taken care of, to include initial training support, their selection process, training support, their routine, team support, their equipping of their gear, packing their stuff, putting them through enhanced training. So that led me, you know, again, what shaped me into what I'm doing today. You know, we had medical training program that was skills for providers and I'll steer medical situations. But essentially what it was is it's like you're training folks, regardless of how they got there, how to take care of themselves. Right. So it's like, I'm not going to be there to patch you up or your buddy up, and a lot of times you're you and you're it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So here's your stuff, and here's all the training you need to use that stuff, and then make sure that stuff is good and you have the best stuff. And then again like medications and you know, it's almost like the pre equip equipping. But then there's making sure that you give them stuff that doesn't highlight that right. So there's that component I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Ask you about that. Is there being being how some of these units work, uh in and how they conduct their missions? Is there is there an improvised medicine aspect to it?
Speaker 3: Like, look, you if you you can't walk around in this environment with medical gear, so this is how you would.
Speaker 2: Use super glue? Uh, this is how.
Speaker 4: You know, it's kind of the wilderness of medicine approach. Yeah, so there there is, And I'll tell you that's one of my frustrations with man. Things you shouldn't say in a public form. My frustrations with like the Kazi component, the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care, and it's when when I they went very much and I think even a lot of the schoolhouses. So when I went through the schoolhouse, you you made all your medical kit. Right, there was no such thing. I think chess seals were just getting created. But you had like a cut trapper keeper with a petroleum gauze and tape and it was pre stuck to a board and that was your chest sealing. And you're turning kit we already described, so you need to go out of that. And so it's sticks and rags, right, it's a lot of You have a lot of rags and sticks and gauzes, and you know how to employ them different ways because you understand principles of medicine. You understand here's what I'm trying to mitigate now, and this is a good thing. We actually have deliberate devices. So when we went heavy to deliberate devices and these things like the committees on tactical Medicine, because principle based medicine for people who don't have a lot of training, they can mess it up. So they want you to use deliberate devices, so they kind of shun you actually even doctrinally a lot of If you read like Basic Soldier's Manual for Common Task, it talks about deces. That's a problem. And I'll tell you why that's a problem. When you have a recall on a device and you wrote in doctrine how to this is the device you use and how you use it. What happens if that device changes? Because every device now that I'm in the medical device industries has a different instruction for use and everything. Even though they're similar, there's different nuances. And so I kind of in that committee was like, hey, because I end up ultimately later on in my career sitting on some of these boards when and like, I don't think it's a good idea, we go one hundred percent. I think there's some things that should be agnostic, Like what if something new comes out? Now you've got to rewrite all your manuals. You literally wrote this device into every manual. Now that's great for a medical device company because that means money, and that's what it's kind of evolved to big business. Your job is to get your device into doctrine. Once it's in doctrine, you might as well just yeah, tie your mansion now exactly because you're going to do millions of dollars of business and that's the industry and so you know, and I'm even in that space now, that's where I work now, but I still knowing where I you know, being where I've been and knowing what I know, I know, like, hey, we can't deviate too far from principles and teaching people how to improvise, because then, you know, it's like training prepares you for the known and education the unknown. Meaning I can if I teach you how to take the top off this bottle, then you falling step one, two and three and you do one two three, But when this has a screw on it, you're like, well, in the step manuel it says pull it out, but this is a screw. Now that may seem I'm oversimplifying it, but the point is like, if we ever get into large scale combat operations, you better believe the supply system will be depleted and you will need to improvise. And so if we totally take out how to teach people how to land nab with the compass, and you totally get reliant on technology, and lose your principles and your basic fundamentals. I think that you can set yourself up for failure, so you know, I you know, So that's one of the things that we did is we did teach a lot of principle based stuff. But at that time devices were kind of new to the space, so a lot of like just your common you know, your cat tourniquets and things like that. At that time, they had already been employed, so people were carrying that stuff, but that's not how we were trained. But now in the schoolhouses it's all deliberate device and I think there's goods and bads with that, and so my I would hope that in soft they would still be principle based. I can tell you when you get to the basic medic and Gorman level, right, use this device and use it you're supposed to use it, and it's like, well there's maybe there's maybe there's better ways to do that, and you know, sometimes things take a while to catch up. So so yeah, so we there's a lot of instructions. So that's a lot of the you know, the training support. Where it gets kind of interesting is forward support, and it's not forward support like you would think. It's putting in systems and processes in place to ensure that you're taken care of. And without crossing the line, I'll just try to paint a picture. Okay, say that you are maybe you're Hispanic, and maybe you're a little bit relaxed grooming and you're working by yourself in a big country. Like we'll just say you're working in Africa. Right, So you have these countries and they're pretty big, they're like, you know, like America fits in there three times, and people don't really understand that. Well, I think they do now, but they used it, didn't do It's a whole nother story that's that ties directly into this. And you're driving and we'll just say you get in a car accident and everything on your person would never link you back to anything that says you're a service member and okay, I need to do this right or maybe you know, like your wallet gets taken or something like that, you know, because that's a lot of time that stuff happens in these places. So it's putting systems in place that that will make sure that they get taken care of because we're not going to be there to do it. And there might not be anybody else and people may not know where they're at. So that takes a lot of magic, and it's not really magic. It's a lot of planning, a lot of validating. And so my next couple of trips for that organization is that's what I did. I traveled a lot around Africa, East Africa, and I validated things and and I learned that's from one of our one of our physicians. So I did it, and I got to do it by myself at times, and that's a whole different experience to traveling by yourself without a weapon in a country like in soft You're like, of course, soft people do that all the time.
Speaker 2: It's like that's what we do. And I'm like, yeah, you really do.
Speaker 4: But yeah, okay, yeah, I'll go with you a little bit down this, but I'm less like So for me, it was certainly new and it's a little bit scary, you know, just navigating around by yourself. And so I got a cool story though well it's it wasn't cool at the time, but it's kind of interesting now. So so me and the dock, he was kind of showing me the ropes on how to like I had known about med plans and I had learned in Colombia out validating and you know, just doing a lot the other part of you know, doing hospital assessments and figuring out capability and making sure that gets back to use of sock validating. That's a big part of the component of CAA. So I had learned how to do basically medical infrastructure assessment and create documents and write plans, but I didn't know how to do it into the nitnoid detail of what they need. It becomes very specific. And when you look about a place where the underdeveloped medical infrastructure, like a lot of places in Africa or you know, someplace in the Middle East, you got to really assess their capability because like that's some of the things I learned. So like the first so what we would do and on this trip, So the first thing we did was we go to to Hoa and we pull mad plans, and then we pull stuff from USAC and then we just we walk the dog literally boots on the ground walking the dog and everything. And so this trip we're doing it up by Manda Bay, so we're up close to Somalia, so you know, being by yourself, no gun up there is maybe you know, a.
Speaker 2: Little sketched, right, it's a little sketch.
Speaker 4: So so I think the is called Lindy Lindy. So there's a Manda Bay and then there's another You had to basically we had to get in somebody's speedboat and it's just a taxi driver. It's just some dude like pay this dude money and getting the speed on a lost this way. So we get over there and so basically that's what we're doing. We're walking the dog and so there it was supposed to be a clinic there, so okay, if somebody we need to then there this clinics that we're valid in this clinic. We get off the boat and like a couple, we're walking up the road. You know, we we you know, are asking you know, basic directions. And the other important thing is you're like your dress right like and so so I had kind of learned down in South America, like to don't dress like your typical ari I like all the ship I got from Aria.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the first thing I learned was like soccer jerseys are pretty universal, Like you wear like some kind of short capri pants and maybe some sandily shoes with a soccer jersey and like not like a backpack, but like a you know, like a little messy like straw bag, you know. So so yeah, so that so so we're so we're like these two like European tourists and you know, kind of guys walking around.
Speaker 2: And you got underneath.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah. And and so like a couple of minutes up the road, we start noticing we're getting followed, and we're like, okay, oh ship, So we you know, we just keep doing we're doing we kind of you know, we're just like we don't have a pre designated plan, like this is our plan, and and we're out there, right, and so we end up stopping in the clinic. I think we stopped in a little like hodgepodge pharmacy, not like the pharmacy like you would think. It looks like it kind of reminds me of exactly like here. It's like these little storefronts that you're like you make cheeseburgers in, Like I never thought that you'd make cheers in this gas station, Like but it's not a gas station. It's like a I don't know, blow somebody's house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the same kind of thing.
Speaker 4: It's like this, uh like these.
Speaker 2: Little bodegas yea yeah, and so like little pharmacy.
Speaker 4: So as soon as we get out, the dude comes. These two dudes come up to us, are like, we know who you are and we're gonna kill you tonight and just keep on walking.
Speaker 2: And so some of our folks had set us up.
Speaker 4: In this in this like it was like a resort. And I don't want to describe it too much. I'll describe it a little bit. I won't say what the name it is a name just in case people are still using it. But essentially it was an open air you ever seen, Like it looks like the coolest vacation in the world. Like it's like the sandals on the water. You see these little open air there's just curtains like blowing in the wind on the water. So we were on the coast and there's these little huts like on the water, open air and that's where we're staying at and it's shut down. It's not tourist season. We're the only people. There was one watchman in us. Yeah, like what and so we're like, oh shit. So we just keep going about it and we're like I think we radioed back and kind of said, hey, like we may have some problems. And so we get back to where we're staying at and you know, we're we're doing our job, right, and so we tell the watchman, hey, you know this, people were bothering us in town today. You know, can you be on the lookout. And so we had each gotten our own little like you know, again the vacation pervicglow. We didn't stay in that. Yeah, so we like the whole night like we're scared, right, We're like, we don't know what the fuck is gonna like, who's gonna come. Yeah, So we're like it was like this they had a central like facility on this this little resort area, and so we like climbed. We ended up staying upstairs and we were like we're just gonna stay up all night, man. And the next morning, like we're getting back on this boat and we're out of here. And and so like I don't know what time it is in the middle of the night, but I end up I he probably was dozed off to but it was like it was probably like it was still pitch black though, So that's the important thing. It was pitch black and the next thing, you know, I hear noises and so I like, I kind of like get up, but I but I couldn't see. And the next thing, you know, I see these red eyes and I fucking jump up and I'm like, I like jumped up and lunched, and then he jumped up and lunched, and then I forget. I think I think he like had a like a headlamp or something and like turned it on and it was a it was a bush baby.
Speaker 2: Do you know what a bush baby is? Yeah, A little like kind of marsupial or yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like in this little area, we had opened like some little cookies.
Speaker 2: Like it was like sitting on the table.
Speaker 4: I think it was trying to get these cookies or something. So so yeah, So I there's no like great action story like where we like tackle them on the beach and they drowned them underwater and slit their throats. But it was just like, you know, it was just like being in an environment where it's like I don't have anything to really protect myself, right and in the way you're traveling, you're not bringing that stuff.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 3: And you're not going out and getting it on the economy, like you can't have.
Speaker 4: Anything that it's it's not what we're there to do, and it's not how we're supposed to be with the intent of what we're doing. So so it's just a it's a little bit different. And so that was, you know, and I experienced that twice once and I think Tanzania that up there in Kenya and then and then uh got I got uh got robbed in Kenya. That was interesting. Well it's car it was like I think it was a car jacking, but it was this uh. I guess there's these TTPs for thieves and I certainly didn't know it. And we had a dry right like at that we had like hired a vehicle driver. So we're like driving downtown at the UH and Kenya and you know, the street it's just swamped and so you're like you can't go anywhere and you can't really get out. And we had been kind of told like if something happens, it wasn't don't fight back, but don't chase people down and beat them. They're like, don't do that, you'll get fucked up, like they'll mob you. So they kind of police themselves, like certain of them if they see it doing it, they'll actually not like it. And so so we're like, we're like stuck in traffic, and this guy comes and he hits the rear view mirror and then so what does the driver do?
Speaker 2: Gets No, he rolls, so.
Speaker 4: Rolls down the window. As soon as he rolls down the window, another guy walking this way stuck his hand in and hit the unlocked button. And as soon as that button hit we had one person in every door. It was like this door, this door, this door, and then the rear gate of the They're like, what are they like the Toyota Surfs or whatever kind of vehicles, and so there's like five people instantly in the car on you, and uh, I think they just they just wanted to rob us. But luckily the only thing they took was my med bag. So we were like, we didn't want him to take all of our computers. Yeah, it so we're like, you know, just like sticking our hands grabbing everything, and so it happened pretty quick. But uh, but that was two exciting things from um from this Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if other people have it.
Speaker 4: But but going back to like doing these assessments and then going a little bit later into my career, like we had written a lot of these we had validated a lot of these med plans, and I remember communicating back to headquarters. It was either to our headquarters and I think they community for us, like I think that we don't have enough MED support and HOA like and they're like, no, we're fine. And so I can distinctly remember there being like a continent map of Africa and it's showing all these little dots in HOA and it was like, what are you talking about? You don't have enough MED support in HOA on the ground. And I was like, there's like you see look at look at it. And I was like, and I distinctly remember like overlaying and sending it back and I overlaid a map of the United States to scale, and I'm like, Okay, you have an eighteen delta in Florida, you have one in Maine, you have one in Arizona, and you have one like and you have no great tail assets, right, it's your plan? Is I sauce and contract air? Like you know you have what are you talking about? You have? And so there's been some incidents and and uh, you know some of the stuff that I think that we had learned. We had had a service member in a Kenya and he wasn't part of SOFT, but essentially it was like, how guy's access healthcare? So he was, you know, just a Kenyon who had joined the army and had had went back on vacation. And what a lot of people don't realize is I think service members and I don't know if SOFT people think like this, but but people think like, especially if you're not doing anything swoopy, that your ID card is your magic access to healthcare. That doesn't play in other place in the world. It's fee for service, which means you produce. It doesn't matter that you're bleeding out right there. There's people bleeding out everywhere. You're going to die there unless you swipe a credit card or you have insurance to take care of you. And you have to make sure that it's accepted locally at that place that you're at. So a lot of us was figuring that out.
Speaker 2: So we had a service member I think he was he was shot, it was shot or.
Speaker 4: Stabbed something domestically, and essentially he went to the first place denied him care in Kenya, went to the second place to night care and died at the third place. Oh my god, because he thought like his ID card was going to take care of him. It had worked for him everywhere else. Yeah, and so and so and we had actually had you know, unit members who were you know, hurt overseas and assaulted, all the above, and just making sure that they haven't something to take care of them, that that if that happened and they couldn't speak for themselves, that they had a mechanism to take care of ye and so. And that's a that's a it's it's not a sexy thing, but it's hugely important. So you know, so leave that kind of kind of there.
Speaker 3: But it's just fascinating because it's a fascinating part of you know, of these of these units or.
Speaker 2: Whatever the people. I don't think people really I've never thought about it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not something I've ever thought about, you know, the importance of that type of support when there is no support, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's yeah, there's a So it's so I ended up doing doing a couple of trips doing that, just validating some things. And then the next big thing that I can probably talk about that I did be just because it was it was attached back to conventional soft was the invisible children stuff, the coney stuff. So it was over there, and I think in two thousand that was one of the last things I did before I left in twenty twelve or thirteen, so and.
Speaker 2: It so that was.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of figure out the train of thought to describe so people weren't familiar with it. Essentially, it's it's this guy like he kind of just took people kidnapped and brainwashed them into the into the jungle.
Speaker 2: Turned them into like child soldiers, child.
Speaker 4: Soldiers and so and they mutilated these kids and people, cutting their body parts off and and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got it.
Speaker 4: I got attached to go for that, and so went over and that was one of my first chances working directly overseas with the organization and or at least some folks with the organization. And that was interesting. So it kind of speaks to what I would like to speak to some of them, like these guys, like they're so unassuming, like you would think, like like I don't look like most of them, and especially ones that are really like doing stuff that no one will ever know about and probably don't need to know, although I wish people would know.
Speaker 2: That's the best way I can say it. I wish they.
Speaker 4: I wish our average citizen knew the stakes and the price that these guys. This is their life. They've given it up for something that no one will ever know about. And and when you really think that in perspective, that's that's pretty huge commitment. Right. You're not going to read about their awards, and you're not going to know their exploits and stuff. So yeah, and so, but they don't look like you would have to like some of them. You'd be like you're a special operator, Like, prove it to me, show me some paperwork. There's no fucking way. But these guys are so intelligent and fit, and they just don't they just don't. They just they just had the look that makes them perfect for that job. And so on this one, we had this one guy, and this guy had this knack for teaching himself languages and on this thing because of where they were trying to decipher this like codebook. This was the whole thing. It was like this guy, that's how they couldn't find him. He a tone of I think it's called or something essentially it would be like turn to page four and he would give his his subordinate leaders instructions through this book. And everybody had the decipher manual, and so you know, we're trying to break this down, decipher this code. And so so we got these brilliant guys the whole inventory of DoD. They were looking for somebody because nobody spoke this language. That was the other problem. And we had this guy who can, like you can learn languages. It was fucking crazy, like so I can, you know, like we're driving around with him and he's he instantly starts talking to everybody and he started learning word learning where we're to use them learning word learning what use it? And before you know it, he's using full sentences and full paragraphs, and you're just like, they're like Google, that's what we called him. They're like they're GT Scores, they're you know, they're they're apt. It's so high that some of them are socially awkward. They're just so intelligent. But they're just like these anomalies of service members. And so anyways, the inventory they look and so they they finally found one guy like he was like a navy on a Navy boat who happened to be from East Africa, and he was like, I don't know, like a store clerk or something. You know, I think the Navy as store clerks that work on the boat, and so they flew them in. So that was it was like the coolest thing. I'm like, man, this is like the reach of this place, Like to just reach out to another service and say we're taking him because we have a need for me, and you don't really get to know what the need for me.
Speaker 3: It must have been so cool for that guy too, Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so so yeah, so this you know, they're doing their thing and this guy's learning this stuff. Uh it went on. They they didn't you know, no really exciting had another you know, people following a story on that one, but it's not too exciting. But but yeah, so that was my last trip. And on that trip, I found out that I had made E nine and so so in that organization, there was only authorizations for one medical E nine and so there was actually three of us, which is who all made E nine on the same list, and uh, one of us got the job and it wasn't me. So so that was my time.
Speaker 2: You had to find a new home.
Speaker 4: I had to find a new well. I didn't have fun a new I had to go to the academy. So I had to go to the Sergeants Major Academy. And that's it. That's it. So that's a fun story. So and so yeah, so like I, you know, I outprocessed the unit and uh, you know, people, I don't know if people ever talk about being like read off. You know people here talk about read on. I've went through a lot of organizations and have gotten read onto a lot of things, but very rarely do I ever get read off.
Speaker 2: I think that park is like left out often. I think that's just like a pencil whip.
Speaker 4: So the unit does not do that. You get a formal readoff and you that's when you signed your non DISCLOSURELF oh your LifeWay. Yeah, and I've learned those are like for service members even after retirement, there's like you know, you c MJ, like you still can be held to that stuff. So there's you know, That's why I'm like a very careful about crossing anyone. So so yeah, so now so now you got this guy right, So now imagine a guy who went into SAFT as an e six now and living his life and civilian clothes from six not you know now showing up at the United States Army Sergeant Major Academy, I was a piece of work.
Speaker 2: Like, well, fortunately there were a bunch of sergeants majors around to let you know.
Speaker 4: No, what you have so is the nation's most qualified first sergeants. Everyone five hundred of them in your class. So there's five hundred e eights going through this course. And and here's the weird thing.
Speaker 2: So, like.
Speaker 4: A service member has to track career track, and so since I'm not soft as my core mos now, I go back to being medical like hospital medical, like you know. And so when you're in those places, like all your stuff is classified essentially, and the first thing they want you to do when you go to these places are like.
Speaker 2: Write your biography.
Speaker 4: But here's what the organization, the unit doesn't tell you how to it reintegrate. There's no course, right, you just outprocess and that's it. And I think that's why a lot of guys from I'll say these places, because there's a lot of places out there. They don't know how to integrate, and no one teaches you how to integrate, like I got more instruction on how to retire from the army than how to RESI assimilate into the army. Right, there was zero. It was signed this piece of paper and then that's it.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 4: Next thing you know, you're figuring out how to put a uniform on and you show up day one and you don't know you're gonna get picked to be like make formation or something. Right, like soft isn't good at DNC, Like, let's be honest, right, maybe the Rangers are good at They're probably the best, right, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know. I mean, I don't know what they'll say their leadership. Yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that we ever did DNC, like I don't I don't know that I've done DNC since or that I had done DNC since since basic.
Speaker 4: Okay, so when you have five hundred of the armies and what's a joint service school. So there's Navy and there's there's a fewer of them, and there's a couple. We had like three s F guys in my class. Every the best first sergeant and they want to tell everybody how they're the best for it. And then you got me there. Now granted, now you have to career track. I'd never been a platoon sergeant, right, right, I'd never been a first sergeant. And now I went from like hopping around like just being deployed basically for eleven years of my life. That's what I know. I know how to deploy. And I'm a fucking good medic, like I will run circles around and I feel confidently saying that like to the world. And so but what I don't know how to do is like basic DNC because I haven't done it for right since you you know, you go back to your track like ac and be you know, basically your MOS schools or your your leadership development schools for your pay grade.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I was. I was a bit of a mess.
Speaker 4: And so my classmates had a lot of fun. So yeah, so I did the I did, so you do the academy that's a year long at Fort Bliss. And and because I did, you know, I did well in my career. I was a first time command select.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And so there were servi sers like I think fifty medical people in my class. So it's all the medical onmosts, not just medics. And and so there's I think there was like ten of us who got selected to go straight into a command position, and so I did. That's even so now you got this dude who can barely make formations, like never process soldiers for useeum. That's what leadership does, right, It's like take care of soldiers, deal with the disciplineary issues and their health and welfare and you know that kind of stuff. And so so my first assignment though was Alaska.
Speaker 2: So it's like.
Speaker 4: And I didn't know. I was like, well, this will be a life experience. So Fairbanks, Alaska. So that was my first experience outside of soft and like after running for a good period of time and ended up there, and.
Speaker 2: How was that for you?
Speaker 4: I tell you it was. I didn't think it was gonna be good because I was in charge of MEDAC Alaska, which is essentially all what METAC means is medical activity. So all of army medical activities in the state of Alaska. That's a lot. The state of Alaska is big. I don't know if people know that. And so what I did, though, is I focused my time on helping soldiers and and doing what I knew best, which was training, which is not a CSM's job. I was doing like first art and shit. So now I was learning how to be a first sergeant, right, maybe a patuone starter and so I think I have said a lot of them, but I enjoyed it. So I would create programs and and when I got to Alaska, though, Korea was starting to spark up, and so my the the the nominative cmis. So the general officer had known a little bit about me, and so he was like, hey, things in careers are getting pretty heated, and we don't know if we're going to fight on the pena. Can you create a medical program because we think that we may have to hold casualties.
Speaker 2: So back to now, we're at.
Speaker 4: Prolonged fielding right right, and this is two thousand and fifteen, sixteen is So I went into the position in summer of fifteen because the academy graduates every summer. So I went in so maybe i'd finished like my pre command courses at Levenworth. You got to go learn how to be a you know, it's really just a lot of it's they're preposition you for prepping you for a command. And so he reached out and asked me, can you create a course? And so you know, we think this thing is and based upon what you've done, you're probably the most capable to help us do this. And so so I created a program called Delayed Evacuation Casualty Management out in a little hospital in the middle of Alaska Fairbanks, like central cold Cold Alaska, like negative fifty Alaska. And so I pulled together some folks and some stuff that I learned over the year, and then some stuff that SOFT was working on, because it's kind of the beginning of prolonged field care. They were putting together I think some committees or organizations and took some principles that they'd already developed.
Speaker 2: I didn't develop it.
Speaker 4: And then basically what I tried to do was fill the gap, the knowledge gap of the principles of what they put together with the knowledge base of the conventional medic and try to meld them together. But there's knowledge gaps because when you talk about the skill set of soft medic or in eighteen delta and then someone you know who goes through medic school of three or four were months, it's they're vast. And so we put down a we put together a really good program and got it accredited and and it actually became an army wide program for a while. I think it's still taught a lot of places today. And so I was up there for a couple of years and I got to just really just I enjoyed my time. And a lot of people say, you're battalion time for folks that don't know that's an organization. At least in medical it's about a thousand you're supervising roughly about a thousand people. It's a little bit larger when you get to your maneuver folks, but for medical.
Speaker 2: That's about the density.
Speaker 4: And so really just created programs for him and sent them to a lot of cool schools. So the cool thing about going to the Academy is you got you know, every stard major everywhere. So the network is tremendous. And so like if I had a young older that was just like doing great things, I could call up, you know, the guy from Airborne School and say, hey, I want to get this guy a slot. Can you get him in and be like, yeah, okay, I can work him in, or hey, I want to send somebody here. Hey, And so I really just took advantage of just like creating educational opportunities and training opportunities and and you know, you really can't talk about you or at least I still really can't talk a lot about that period of my life. But I can let people know that there's some really exciting things that the military can offer, and there's some people doing things that that are that are tremendous and you know, and you can do those things too if you seek those opportunities out. And so, you know, just having conversations like that, you know a lot of service members who were going to get out kind of turned them around, and or just people who wanted to go to be a soft medic. A good friend of mine was the senior stard major at use of SOCC So it's like getting a getting a kid to get to sock them was you know, just helping him do a packet and give him a recommendation. So so I did that for that tour and just did a whole lot of that actually, and it's what I needed to do. You know, the hospital didn't need me to run it. It had plenty of six's and doctors and it was really just for me. You know, it's a they got that saying take care of people and then they'll take care of the organization, so I don't have to take care of the organization. I to take care of the people with the organization. So I did that, and then oddly enough, I got a call to go back and be the the medical or offered the position to from the unit CSM to go be the the medical side start major. Now there's a downside of this story. That's what I wanted to do that. I wanted nothing more than to do that. But the next Command Select list came out and I'd been selected again. And so then I was selected for a brigade. And when you're on what's on the command select list, only the start major of the army can take you off it.
Speaker 2: Oh really okay?
Speaker 3: And and the position at the unit did not qualify it was it was it below a command position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's if you you would almost be going back and they'll look you do that sometimes, Yeah, like if you're getting out. I was still at the time, staying in and and I don't know how much time we have, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean we we are we we are deep in it.
Speaker 3: Uh we're at four hours and thirty minutes right now.
Speaker 2: Holy yeah.
Speaker 3: But but but I want this is your story I want you to tell it.
Speaker 2: No, it's a long story. So I'll try to. I'll try to. Yeah, d are you all right? All right? Our audience is holding tight, okay.
Speaker 4: So and so so here's what. So I got offered the position. That's what I wanted to do. But I made the command select list. And when you when you when you're going in the command process, you get to select your preferences. And I had actually got not only make the command selectlist, but got the number one job that I wanted. So I got my pick. And I had started my career in Hawaii and I wanted to end it there. So I got selected to go and take Tripler to be the CSM there.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted.
Speaker 4: Because I was like, like I was saying, and I'll and I'll get into it. You know, my in Alaska, my PTSD kind of started to act up, and you know, I had had some I had had a a about of where I was, you know, suicidal, and I had went and talked to a health care provider there and they had got me back health and I some help and I started some medications and actually when got the Stella ganglion block four fifth or six times. I had already had it multiple times before, and uh, and I'll get to that pretty quick. So because I think it's an important aspect, but essentially got offered that job, couldn't get it because I couldn't get off the Command Select list and then the Medcom commit So the Medical Command so CSM called me and he's like, hey, you're right, I just want to let you know that the I don't know if the list had been released yet or it was getting released, but he's like, hey, I've heard about all the great things you're doing in Alaska in this program you created. I'm gonna pull you from why you got what you wanted, but I need you to go to Fort Bragg and do everything you're doing to their times ten. And I'm like, what do you say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, yeah, Roger, that.
Speaker 4: That's what you said. Like, no problem, story maker, you know. And so they switched my order. So not only did I not get to go back to the unit, I was switched and went to Fort Bragg and so I went to Walmac Army Medical Center and that's where I ended my career.
Speaker 2: But my.
Speaker 4: And so I you know, without going in the programs are really not important. But I created a couple more programs or just invigorated some that were going in and had a lot of success with just getting conventional army medics paramedic qualified and critical care paramedic qualified and then the prolonged field care stuff making sure that they had access to that.
Speaker 2: But really my health, mental health.
Speaker 4: Started deteriorating, and so I had had my first stelic ganglium block. So, again getting to the professionals of the units without mentioning his name, he had introduced it into SOFT for you know, a sympathetic chain block to essentially alleviate the autonomic nervous system dysfunction of PTSD. Yeah, the hypervigilants to kind of turn the swe light switch off, and hopefully I did that justice.
Speaker 2: So, so we're talking about sticking a needle with isokine, So.
Speaker 4: Sticking a leader I think it's rapivocane. It's in the family. It's a long acting lytocane into your neck to essentially blocking that tone for about I think it's like four to six hours, which is enough time to reset your system.
Speaker 2: And so our.
Speaker 4: Physicians at the unit brought that into SOFT and then they went around and trained and that's one of the dynamite. One of the things that I got to do. I got to fly to the other units and these operators who had twenty plus rotations overseas, you know, help them with their provide them symptomatic relief and and so we So I had gotten that in Alaska at this time, it wasn't working for me. I had never did medications, so I got switched on medications. And once I got to Womack, and I was there for a while doing things, and then you know, I'm kind of speeding this along. But essentially the shots weren't working, and the medications weren't working, and I was feeling like dead to the world. And so it's where Army medicine almost killed me. I say that lightly but with all seriousness. The provider switched my medications and sent me TD why. And so they abruptly stopped me off one medication, started me on another, and then sent me TD why. And then, oh my god, I went off the rails. And at the same time, my son, but all three of my sons were active duty at that No, my youngest was not yet he is now. My middle son was not doing well. He was active duty at for Bragg and and so just the hurricane of events had caught up to me, and essentially long story short, self admitted myself to in patience. Why no, no, So I had gotten back. Luckily I had gotten back, and I immediately went to work and I went up to we to the executive medicine place it there, and I was like, hey, you know, I think I'm gonna hurt myself. So they immediately, you know, I got I got treated well with dignitium respect and but spent a week in impatient and uh and then three months and outpatient, got flown to San Antonio and and yeah, then.
Speaker 3: So you took a step that most I want to say most active duty soldiers will not take.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: You recognize what was going on, and you took steps to address it right, which which I think not only will not a lot of veterans do that, but a lot of but especially a lot of actors, because they're concerned about how it's going to affect their career if they're soft, like, is it going to make them ineligible? You know, I mean, I know that you're going through like a lot at this time, but you are also seeking help.
Speaker 2: What what was it?
Speaker 3: What advice would you give soldiers, especially when they're active duty and veterans.
Speaker 2: But what advice would you give them? That took a lot, That took a lot of strength.
Speaker 4: It did. The advice that I can get them give them is is people are are feeling the same way you're feeling, and the first step is the hardest one, and it gets easier after that. At least my experience, it got easier after that. So yeah, but it was it wasn't It's not to say that was easy and or professionally embarrassing, and so that's you know, I struggle with that a lot. You know, that's not the way I wanted to end my career. I had a pretty good career and i'd actually been made the select list for a second brigade or two. Essentially I'd probably be at the general officer level. I know I would. That's I was fast tracking that way, and folks kind of had plans for me, and I'd probably upset those plans, and so I it's just to have courage. It's personal courage, really is what it is. And it's it's taking care of yourself and taking for yourself because after the military, that's it, man. Yeah, like you're what you have. The VA system is what it is. Start it while you're in. I would say, it's much harder. Once you're out, it's so much harder. And and so I went through the med board process, and so you know, I was I joke about it. But you know a lot of people say, the older guy, it's the body's broke, broke, but the mind is strong, and I was the opposite.
Speaker 2: The body is strong.
Speaker 4: I could keep up with any of those guys, and I probably still could to this day. But the mind was destroyed. And so I, you know, and I really embrace and this is going to probably rub some people the wrong way. I embrace the D of PTSD. And a lot of people tried to erase the D. And I'll tell you the disorder is what it was, dysfunction, disability, disarray. Everything was messed up and so it was a disorder. It was one hundred percent things weren't right. And so you know, I you know it. While post traumatic stress is a normal response to a traumatic event, it can certainly leave you in disorder. And it is it I And maybe I'm looking at it through the long wrong lens. And maybe a clinician would think about it a little bit different, but so to me, it's like acknowledging that things aren't orderly. That's what I think is important, and that's what I think that the Stella Ganglian Bloc provided was a reset long enough to figure out what orderly felt like, felt like felt like because you kind of feel the way to the world. But as it is, I would say, because you have to do the work because all of that stuff, right, and I experienced a little bit of combat, if you will, right, there's I'm certainly no war hero, and I certainly wasn't in any famous battle, but my rucksack got filled, and probably some of those guys got much larger rucksacks. And you have to process that stuff, and you certainly have to do the work to deal with it and unpack it, because you can only compartmentalize for so wrong. And I think, like, man, I don't know if you do experience this, but there's so much of my deployment time I forget whole, Like I don't even remember hold the points. I'm like, I'm like, how I remember a whole deployment. I've completely double wrapped that, you know, that package sealed it twice yeah, and compartmentalized it, and it's buried so deep that like even thinking about coming on here, I had to like go back and try to open those packaged bags and say what did I do on that trip? Like what's what's what? What's something I can share? And so you know, that's if you don't unpack it, eventually it's gonna that maybe that packaging is gonna wear off or rub a hole, and it's gonna rear its head, and so you need to process it. So I think that gives you some symptomatic relief and provide you the opportunity to take a deliberate or to take a deliberate action, to actually take the time to deal with it. And so you know, I'm a much better place. You know, I didn't really talk about the DC times. You know, working in that unit, I traveled an hour every day and everybody has their movie. I'll call it my movie that plays in my head, and my movie was strong at that period of time in an hour and rush hour traffic. For your movie to play over and over and over again every day for years, that's what beat me up. And so when I left, I went again back to an educational thing so new and exciting suppress then you routine sets in and you know, call them what you want, your demons or whatever rear their head. But essentially then you know you've got to suppress it. And I think so people suppress it through you know, adventurous activities or there's a lot of things people do, but you got to deal with it.
Speaker 3: And then because you know, we're talking about post my stress, but then you throw in TBI or you throw in operator syndrome like it is medicine. Like do they even know at this point where one start, one ends and the other begins.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because I think only again, like to me, some of my stuff I think was moral injury, right, yeah, yeah, and that's what mine was. I think people weren't using that word for a long time.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I put it first on this show like two years ago.
Speaker 4: And so that's what I think, because I couldn't relate, like and when I went through the extensive outpatient program. There's a lot of things that you do that you're like, no, no, I initiated the action. I wasn't in reaction mode. I initiated the action. And so for me, this is right and wrong. Yes, this isn't so everybody's trauma is different everybody, no one's trauma is any special or than anybody else's, right, right, And that's I learned that there.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey man, I can't just.
Speaker 4: Because you don't have the coolest of cool guys store to go with your baggage doesn't mean I should say that it doesn't affect you a certain way. But but yeah, so I think there's that. So there's moral injury, there's the PTSD stuff, there's the traumatic Bain injury. So I don't know if they've got any of that figured out, and I can certainly tell you from all of the the shelling and just you know, when one twenties.
Speaker 2: Comes shock, I'm holy, it's a very real thing, right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's also the idea that there are some you know, there are some events for some people that are the in truth, the like the inciting incident, and then for other people it's just like years of being on the edge and there's not like one thing.
Speaker 2: That pops out, it's just all of it get together.
Speaker 4: And then like the identity so pro separation, that's the divolent. So that's the encouragement I would say, so the advice deal with things before you lose your tribe, because I think when people lose their tribe, then they've lost their identity, they lost their connection, and they go into isolation. So two unit medics have now committed suicide, one recently, and so it was that's a tough toll. They both to one was one of my direct reports. They both hung themselves.
Speaker 3: And you're talking about two out of a tiny, yes popular, two out of like.
Speaker 4: Less than ten people. And a third A guy called me recently and I talked to him before this show. He called me with a gun in his hand, crying, and I didn't know what to do. And I had been there and he called me and he I, so I'll tell his story, and he told me it's okay if I tell his story. He he shot a little kid and he didn't mean to and he's been dealing with that baggage and he's probably on here right now, and I hope it doesn't tear him up. And uh, and I think about him a lot. And and so he called me and I was worried he was gonna, you know, blow his head off with me there, and I am like messaging his daughter through LinkedIn, and I'm calling unit past unit doctors saying, hey, such and such, I think this is it and I don't know what to do. I'm not close enough where I can help them, and so I'm just trying to talk him through it. And luckily he did it and he's you know, but you know, you got to check on people. People say that, but do they really do it? You know what I mean? People, it's kind of cliche, I think a little bit. But and so you got to keep your keep your network close and check on those guys, because that's what it happens, is exactly like you describe. People get out, they think it's over with, and then they actually are forced to deal with it. But now they're dealing with it alone. And I'll tell you when I was going, when I first got help, the doctor sent me to go and Walter read and she I'll never forget. So she had a painting on the wall and it was behind me, and it was a painting of a flowery past with a house and she said, she said, all of you guys are basically like garbage men. She was like, the world needs you, but you stink and people don't want to sit next to you in church, so all of you guys want to live there. And she pointed, and I was like, it was kind of messed up, but I knew what she was saying. Yeah, it was like they want to be alone. And so the last medic and they've actually had more unit members commit suicide. He lived in the middle of nowhere with his family, and you know, his family found him and I hope they're not, you know, listening to me retell it, but I just it's so vivid and tragic. You know, his daughter found him hanging in a tree in the middle of their backyard.
Speaker 2: Like that's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so, and I can tell you that's my appreciation for the unit. And and hopefully I didn't discredit or do anything out of turn or overspeak, but every almost every medical member of my time span stopped everything they were doing and all flew and went to his funeral. And I don't know if everybody would do that in every organization you hear about people passing away. But and so, you know, I have the utmost respect for the organization, how they take care of their people. Hopefully, you know, people appreciate what I did there. And you know what I provided and again, you know, hopefully didn't do anything to divulge anything or upset anybody, but you know, I just really respect them and uh what they do and how they dedicate themselves to something that no one would know about. And then this is the ugly side of it, and that's what's important to know. And I know there's people who have came out and they've kind of been in these similar places, but you know, like they've lost their tribe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and I think one of the challenges of people in organizations like that is when you're sitting in front of a doctor or a therapist, you know, a psychologist, whatever.
Speaker 2: Like what can you tell them? You know what? What you know? What are you know?
Speaker 3: What are you allowed to talk about? Are are they cleared?
Speaker 2: And I know that.
Speaker 4: The organization ones obviously are. But here's the thing. So when I went to the in depth, I specifically did not want a military person. I said, give me a civilian. I don't want a military person who's medical thinking they know what I've been through because they've experienced their version of combat. Everybody experiences their own deployment. When I say the word deployment, you have your vision in your head of your experience when I say to my I have my own and so does everyone else who's experienced it. So I didn't want someone to think they known, like I know what you're dealing with. So I wanted someone specifically he didn't have. They only could just kind of relate to me on a human level. And that's the information that I was giving them. And so but as far as what you, I think you're still supposed to stay with with with the stuff that you're supposed to Now, for me, I wasn't the guy, right, I was the guy who just made sure the guy was taking care of R And so my stuff was usually working with other people and I can talk about that stuff.
Speaker 3: And right, while we're on it on the topic, I just want to bring up an app.
Speaker 2: And we've had them on the show.
Speaker 3: But the app is is sound off and and it was made for people with clearances, both active and veterans. It's a completely anonymous app. It was created by William Nagley and uh, you know, a former agency guy and his brother in law was a former team guy and you know, went into like a horrible spiral and ended up ending his life and one of the things. I think a lot of people with clearances and a lot of people who have been, you know, in these organizations, whether it's you know, you don't want to you're worried about losing your clearance, you're worried about losing your community, you're worried about red flag loss, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: When you sign onto this app, there.
Speaker 3: Are all these different organizations and what they do is they get money from different you know, different charities, different foundations associated with these organizations, and you can put in whatever organ if you've been in three of those organizations, and it's all services, it's intelligence agencies, it's whatever, and they will they will use money from that bucket. You know, whatever you've put in, they'll use money from that bucket. And you can hook up with a therapist, again anonymous, and it's paid for. So for anybody out there, they're trying to they're trying to roll this out to conventional units.
Speaker 2: And again it's not just about soft.
Speaker 3: It it's just that that's those are the those are the easily filled buckets as they try to scale the app. But if you're a person who is going through stuff, you don't have to go through it alone. Please, don't go through it alone. You know, war as hell, and and everybody cares their own thing. And it doesn't even have to be from war, you know. I mean, shit happens. But yeah, I mean it's it's it's tragic. It's tragic that we're losing people. It's tragic we continue losing people. And like you say, man, everybody has their own story.
Speaker 2: And and there's not like postematic stress is not it's not a competition. You don't.
Speaker 3: You can't look at somebody say well I didn't go through that, so what right do I have?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I can tell you it's that procedure has been used for people with you know, it's not just combat, you know, sexual assaults and other things. So yet trauma comes in many forms and favors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And again it's like it's not who who's it's not it's not my job.
Speaker 2: To qualify it and quantify it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hey, if you know, if you're experience and it's causing disorder to me, that's why I embrace the disorder portion. It's like, if it's making you causing dysfunction, disorder unit to not function, how you know you should be functioned and again having intrusive thoughts and thinking about self harm or harming others or anything like that, and then.
Speaker 2: That's not right, right, And so yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: You know, and I think one of the challenges is, you know, we we go through these events, it's like your buddy that you were talking to, he went through this horrific event, and it's really you know, it's really like refining purpose, right, Making these events that we went through means something in our current life, you know, and and like instead of it bringing us down, creating jet fuel from it, saying you.
Speaker 2: Know, not not to make up for it, not to.
Speaker 3: You know, our buddies that we've lost, not to make up for their loss, but you know, to to say, I'm going to make something from this point forward, you know, to honor to honor this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I can say a lot of the you know, the the one of the main doctor that I worked with at my time there, he had this saying, you know, he brought a lot of things he brought you know, like stem cell therapies and different therapies to the organization like way before people were doing it, like stuff that professional athletes could get. But he would he would say that, you know, people should be able to you know, his job was about returning him to duty or being able to retire with dignity and respect and be able to function being a fully functioned member of society again. Yeah, so it's like you can't really turn the you know, people transition and turn the chapter and have the next chapter in life if you're dealing with the bagage of the last chapter, it's it's like, how are you gonna how are you going to get into a new organization? You know, how are you going to put your best foot forward? You know? And so and then your family aspect, I guess that's the huge point. You know, a great bit of gratitude for my wife, you know, most military spouses. I fortunately have been married now for I think twenty seven years, my whole career.
Speaker 2: She's a trooper. Yeah, she's a trooper.
Speaker 4: And that's the other thing, all of that stuff. Your wife she doesn't know any of these stories. You know. It's like in most maybe some folks share them and maybe some don't. I'm not the sharing type, and so you know, you know, I appreciate everything you've done and putting up with it because it's tough, but you know, so like and I think that destroys a lot of marriages too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, relationships, you know, just a story especially as as I mean, I you.
Speaker 3: Know, I think that as guys start to isolate, uh, you know, we've become more taciturn. I mean, even if we already were, but I think the isolation, the the the compartment was, right, it all sets in and then you just you become like this.
Speaker 2: This there's like a wall between you that your partner can't understand. Yeah, and I think it's good that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That just it's relationships, right, it's your friends, family members, your mom could be your mom, your dad, your relationship with your kids. And I know it's affected all the above for me. And so it's you know, just a it's a self reflection thing, you know. And I'm certainly not perfect today, you know what I mean, you got to work out it every day and so but I think it's being cognizant of and self aware.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh yeah, why am I being this way? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well, I mean anybody out there, whoever you are, whatever pain you're in, we love you, you matter, hang with us. Yeah, So for you you know you went through this, you had already had five.
Speaker 2: Sgbs at that point in time. You get chaptered out or not chaptered. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: You go through your medical chapter, you go through your medical how.
Speaker 2: How like how are you now? And what was your process? And what is your process?
Speaker 4: So it's an outlet, so like I think most veterans. So yeah, it's a great transition. So i'm you know I opened, uh, I said, Well, when I left the service, I started with industry. So I started right back doing what I know when it was how to be a medic and and you know, working in medical device and I had invented a device on active duty and and took it through the patenting process and then and so that is everybody. It's like having a hobby, right, It's like it's having an outlet, a positive outlet, because there's there's constructive and destructive outlets. So for me, just just putting everything into the next thing, right, And so that's what I did. So I am still working with a lot of the PTSD stuff. I think things like most things get better with time, I think at least for me. Then I can't speak for everybody. And my outlet is I still have. It's that tribal connection. So being that I was working with industry and going to military bases and helping soldiers and talking to them, so I had that connection piece. So and so really I just put all the passion into medicine. And so that's really what I'm doing now. So now I opened a business six eight Medical Solutions, and so really what I'm doing is just trying to innovate in the pre hospital space and figuring out solutions to problems. Because what I learned is you may have to take care of yourself, and that's what I learned from some of these organizations. You can't always rely on somebody else to take care of you. You need more intuitive pieces of devices and equipment that solve problems either. You know, you can't just rest on what worked.
Speaker 2: You can always make things better.
Speaker 4: There's no perfect device, you know, that's I'm a fun you know, there's probably no perfect weapons system. Rather each other things and you can always make them better. So that's what I'm doing now. So so I've I've really a lot of my patient experiences or and combat deaths are attributed to heemorrhagic you know, blood loss. So dying from bleeding to death, and so specifically, there's been a lot of innovation in the tourniquet space, right in hemistatics, so things that you put in people's body to help their body clot, but there hasn't been a lot. There's still some gaps there. So really that's where I've focused my effort is targeted pressure devices around Well, now you can put on a tourniquet, but if you don't take it off, you may lose the leg. And that was good enough in the last war, a lot of people stayed alive because we integrated tourniquets. But my thought process is maybe the next war, maybe we can save some limbs and lives by learning how to convert tourniquets and doing some of the stuff that we didn't have to do in gy I don't know of a lot of cases where they actually converted tourniquets down at least at point of injury, pre hospital tactical field care, and so converting tourniquets and then holding targeted pressure for bleeds that aren't amenable to tourniquets, so things higher in the inguinal area, accel area, and so I've i you know, patented in a system of a targeted pressure device to actually where you know, kind of simplifies that you can actually just instead of holding with your hands, I call them hands freeing devices where you can actually use a device to put pressure right where you want it through non circumferential means. So tourniquets work basically they constrict everything right and cut off all blood flow right targeted pressure you put pressure right where you want it and you shut off that vessel. And so it doesn't always have to be like a main artery. It can just be just an arterial or venal down the track. And so that's what we're seeing in Ukraine right now. A lot of because their evacuation times are like six hours. There's a lot of those soldiers because one they're not trained well, they barely know to use tourniquets. But when they do, sometimes they're they're applied to wounds that they didn't even need a tourniquet, but now they have these really high double amputees.
Speaker 2: And so what I believe.
Speaker 4: Is we got to evolve, like we got to keep getting better. We can't just say well, now we got tourniquits, we're good.
Speaker 3: So I know that you know, like during the gare there was a lot of development in tourniicuts, but generally it was just new methods of tightening this same band, right that people are coming up with different types of fasteners and tighteners and things like that. But what you've invented is something novel in the tourniquet space.
Speaker 2: Yeah can you can you? Yeah? So so all show it.
Speaker 4: So this is essentially, you know, I called it a P three D. It's a pope point pressure device, so you know, I named it myself a little but wanted a little bit of a legacy. And so essentially what it works is targeted pressure. What I kind of figured out is through like junctional and other devices, it's all about having a height offset, which meaning you triangulate pressure to pull things downward, and then having a pressure head. And so a normal tourniquet basically takes everything and squeezes it inward and basically just squishes everything. Where this, because of it has a height a height offset, it basically leaves gaps in the in the in the in the basically the strapping mechanism.
Speaker 2: So essentially.
Speaker 4: You have rooms to allow for collateral flow and more importantly venus return because what happens is is when you shut off the arterial system, so the high pressure system of an art in a low pressure system of a vein turn, it gets shut off both systems, right, they're working from it. They keep they just shut everything off, and nothing goes this way, nothing goes that way. When you put like bandages onto tight what'll happen is you'll shut off the venus system, so the return system, but you won't shut off the arterio system. So blood goes that way, and then what you get is called venus engorgement. And it it's painful. And so this is the way that I equated to somebody. I'm like, have you ever cut your finger in a garage razor blade? Whatever? Okay, you ever like quickly just grabbed some tape and wrapped it around there and then it stopped the bleeding, right, But then it started throbbing and hurting, like hell, well you had venus engorgement. And so essentially what did you do. You loosened it up.
Speaker 2: And what happened start bleeding.
Speaker 4: It started bleeding again because it needed pressure like this, but the pain went away. So that's what you loosen it. And I can give you a hundred analogies. It's like it's like going to get in your blood draw You ever had them wrap the thing around too tight and your arm turns purple, But and then it starts hurting, so you unwrap it and then the pain goes away, the purple goes away, but then you start bleeding again. So really it's the principles around it. So basically what I did is I've I've made a set of like heads depending on where you need to put pressure, and you can go in wounds over the hemistatics, so it'll kind of sit in a cut so actually inside and then this riser you can route any tournique, so I'll route, so everybody carries a different one, right, So it's kind of I call it. It's it's agnostic. Whatever turniche you use, or if you have a bandage, you just set it on top and you can use it to create a non pressure bandage that make it pressurized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but really it's about.
Speaker 4: Yeah you can if.
Speaker 2: You guys can see that.
Speaker 3: So it applies the pressure wherever you need it, but just at the point that you need it.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, and then the height gives it the leverage.
Speaker 4: So here I got one. So it's so I also kind of did it in a bandage. I'll just show you so here it is, and these these little channels just allow you to creatively redirect it. But normally a bandage you would just wrap around and to stop the bleeding, you just keep wrapping really tight like this, and you would create a tourniquet like a frect with a bandage. So if you if you just have the height offset, what it does is it isolates pressure downward this way. You feel that just right on the point, yeah, right where you want it, and i don't have to wrap as tight and I'm relying on isolated pressure versus circumferential pressure, right, and so really that's the key. And these channels what they do is I'll go backwards a bit, say that you just want a lot of pressure. Well, then if you want that mechanical advantage, then I can just route through these channels to make it tight when I want it. So if I want it tight, I can make it tight. But if I don't want to, I can And so really what these are tools are for is tourniquet conversion. So right now it's all improvised, so there's not a there's not. There's some things starting to come out, and you know, I plot all innovation. I'm like, hey man, it's all about healthy comp make the best thing out there. Servicemen, I want my son sons who are still active. Do you have the access to the best equipment? So I think we need to innovate, and so right now that's what we're launching. This probably this winner. We're in manufacturing now, I'm gonna get things to market. But it's really just about like advancing pre hospital medicine. So that's my focus, and that's how I kind of stay stay focused and stay driven and trying to give back.
Speaker 2: And so it's like it's a smart tourniquet.
Speaker 3: I mean it's you know, if you think of the old method, it's a dumb tourniquet.
Speaker 2: It's just like, yeah, and this is smart. Now. I know you've patent it, have you what's like.
Speaker 3: The the proof of concept or the testing procedure for something like this.
Speaker 4: So for me, what I've done with it is I've put it through a lot of cadaveric testing. So I when I first left the military, I worked for a big, large medical device company and they specialized and perfused cadavers, and I actually wrote a training program for them for that and help them take that technology to the market, and we actually train a lot of service members sos that actually have flow, so could average that have heart beats, heartbeats. It's not a heartbeat though, So what it is is essentially a piston pump system that pumps beef blood or fake blood into a cadaver at normal physiological pressures, so that you can essentially know when it's tight enough. Now, cadaverage they don't have muscle tone, and there's some a little bit of difference, but for the most part, what you can really do is check, you know, you can you can figure out the efficacy of the device. What a lot of people don't know is this space where these medical devices fall. See, these aren't cancer drugs. You can sell the device that you've never proven to work right, right, it happens all the time, and so you know, you normally just engineer test them. You basically put them on pressure sensors and figure out different pressures and break tensil strengths. But I've taken a step further and actually put it through a profusion model, and that's kind of I would say the gold standard next to just actual human use. But a lot of times you're not going to get that with these kind of devices. There's just you get that retrospectively, and that's like we So if you think like so, I'll give a little bit of shout outs to the I Usually you know, you don't want to mention product names and but but like so like the cat tournique, right, I carried one, saved a lot of lives. It was made in it was bench tested. It wasn't like it had uses before it is I remember it. But they brought it into my soccam class. You could buy it and use it when it first got made. You know, it was vented at the unit on Brag. It's a kind of crazy story behind it. But essentially, you know, they kind of figure it's you know, there's a there's a gap analysis and there's you know, they kind of figure out there's a need, we need something for this, and they do some rapid prototyping or some prototype and engineering testing. But it's a lot of engineering validation and not a lot of actual use. You get the use.
Speaker 2: After the fact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so, but you can do a lot of just testing on your own through like Doppler testing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I just want to say real quick that the company that's.
Speaker 3: Doing the profusive cadavers, if you guys start the next zombie apocalypse, I will be pissed.
Speaker 2: And what's the name of your company again?
Speaker 4: Six eight Medical six.
Speaker 2: Eight Medical Solutions? Do we have a link to that? It's in the link, is in the is in the description.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so yeah, these are so they're not up on the website yet because we're we're in manufacturing. They're they're up there in concept, but we we plan to have the stuff for sale here come December January. We're in the like I said, setting up all the manufacturing. The pressure bar may be made right there in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: So that's amazing.
Speaker 3: So anybody who has a medical kit in your car, which should be everybody your ed YOU'R D E d C kit, check out six eight Medical Solutions and in a few months pick up your what is it called in.
Speaker 4: The pope point pressure device, It's a it's a tongue twister, right uh yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so.
Speaker 3: We have gone really long. I am most of that is because of my rambling. Is there anything that we've left out. Is there anything that you want to cover that?
Speaker 4: There's so much you couldn't cover. That's why there's books on the wall. And maybe yeah, I don't know. I don't know if I have a desire to do that, but but no, I think I think that hopefully I I did the folks I wanted to talk about justice as far as just acknowledging their contribution to keeping this nation safe. And I appreciate the opportunity I had to serve and still doing, and I appreciate those that continue to serve. And I think those are the folks that, you know, we should be kind of honoring and and and so thank you for your time and thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your time, and everybody out there, I mean we saw have most of you watching, So thank you guys. You you are the heroes tonight, real troopers.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate it. No, but we deeply appreciate you coming up.
Speaker 3: We I mean I deeply appreciate you know, you sharing not only your life and your career, but also you know, like the postraumatic stress stuff like it's it's very vulnerable, you know, and it's you know, you're talking to you know several thousand people, and.
Speaker 2: I think that the more people are able to talk about it.
Speaker 3: The more we're able to normalize it, the easier it is for people who.
Speaker 2: Need help to to get the help. So thank you. Let me get to our questions real quick. I don't do do we have anything on? No? All right, Joe.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna we're gonna probably breeze through these questions, guys. I mean, we deeply appreciate you guys contributing. How similar were the assaulters at your old unit compared to like the other Tier one units?
Speaker 2: Uh? And what was your experience like with those units?
Speaker 3: I think we talked about that a lot, and and I think that we could also say that probably that the focus of.
Speaker 2: Your unit wasn't really on assault. Joe, Joe's thank you again. Could you talk.
Speaker 3: About the culture and caliber of person that makes an SUMU where you were at? Was it pretty brutal? Meritrak meritocracy? Sorry to work there? I mean, people just basically recognize for like for their performance, without like a lot of politics and stuff.
Speaker 4: I think that folks, you know, so the senior leader in me says that folks probably weren't recognized enough because there's such a high there's a such a high standard that kind of the things that are normally recognized in your traditional organization are kind of like basic expectations, right, So I say that folks are recognized, but probably not at the same rates as others in other organizations.
Speaker 2: But it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know, it's maybe the public recognition is what's not there. And I think that's rightfully so, because it's hard to talk about it where you're not supposed to talk. It's like, yeah, how do you recognize it?
Speaker 3: Uh, Joe's thank you very much. In the civil affairs work you did. What would happen if you were not able to make amends? Would the Afghan village just become pro Taliban?
Speaker 4: We definitely had some places where we could not make it right, Yeah, and so those yeah, I definitely experienced that once or twice. You just try to get out there there without making it worse. And look, you know we're not John Rambo. So like you're not going to start a firefight with three guys against a village, right, So yeah, you just you just yeah, leave it. And so I guess the answer is the likelihood most likely, I guess they are not happy with the US forces, and.
Speaker 3: A lot of times it's not just about making it so they're not pro talban like it is done from a place where it's the right thing to do a lot of.
Speaker 2: Times one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and if that was misunderstood when you're doing those payments, so those are like wrongful death mitigation. It's not because you killed a bad guy and now you're going to pay their family money. That's not the case. Okay, It's that someone was injured, hurt, killed. Most of the time it's killed and it's collateral damage. That is kind of making right, if you will, making an attempt to acknowledge onus without like fully saying like we messed up.
Speaker 2: Rs.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Thank you, CSM and Dave. Of course I had friends at Womack and Triple Nickel. Great talk showman. Thanks man, really appreciate it. Chris Pez, thank.
Speaker 2: You very much. Shout out to your Ayah brother.
Speaker 3: Normally I don't catch the team house, but I didn't want to miss your podcast.
Speaker 2: M Corbin, thank you very much. Be sure to hit that like button.
Speaker 3: Yeah ready, Please if you're still with us, which most of you are, please hit the like button. Really appreciate it, and hit the subscribe button too if you haven't already. Budoka, thank you very much. Thank you guys for what you do. Thank you for supporting us. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That is our show. This is two ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Our three hundred show is going to be four hours of NonStop dungeons and dragons. That's October third. Yeah, so we're going to go off the rails. Yeah, it's a Thursday show. We're going off the rails, getting getting.
Speaker 2: Our dragon slang on. But thank you, my friend.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it, and thank you everybody, thanks for hanging with us tonight.
Speaker 2: It was a it's a marathon show. And if and you see what happens when Jack's not here. This is this is me. This is my fault. But all right, anybody, thank you very much. M