Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We take stacks of research, articles, notes and boil it all down for you. Today, we're really digging into something that's well everywhere, generative AI. How it's changing content creation, sure, but also sparking these huge questions about the future of work, especially for jobs where you know, AI is getting surprisingly good at the core tasks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And our focus today is this fascinating guide Coding with AI by Chris Minnick. We really want to unpack how AI isn't just like another tool for programmers. It could actually make you a way better, faster, more efficient coder.
Speaker 1: Right, So the big question we're tackling in this deep dive is, well, how does this stuff actually work? And maybe more importantly, how can you use it? You know, harness its power to write better code, understand things like machine learning deep learning, even handle the ethical side of working with AI, because honestly, whether you're just starting out or you've been coding for years, when it comes to generative AI for coding, the source puts it perfectly, We're all dummies at this point.
Speaker 2: It really feels that way sometimes. So in this deep dive we'll lay out the basics machine learning, generative AI. We'll look at actually working with tools like Copilot replet and see how AI helps with automating the boring stuff but also improving and maintaining your code down the line.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start unpacking that. Because we hear all these terms, right, AI, machine learning, deep learning, generative AI. They get thrown around almost interchangeably sometimes, but the source makes it clear they're related but distinct. How do you usually break that down?
Speaker 2: That's a really good place to start. Think of AI artificial intelligence as the big dream the whole field making computers smart, basically solving problems that usually need human intelligence. Now, machine learning mL, that's kind of our first big success story with NAI. It's where we don't hardcode every single rule. Instead we let the computers learn from massive amounts of data.
Speaker 1: Okay, so mL is teaching them to learn from data. What about deep learning DL? That one seems to be everywhere lately.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Deep learning is a specific, really powerful type of machine learning. This is where you get those artificial neural networks. They're structured with many layers, hence the deep It's sort of inspired by how our brains are wired with neurons and connections and these deep networks are incredibly good finding complex patterns and huge data sets like really.
Speaker 1: Huge DATCHA and Generative AI GENAI, the one making all the headlines that fits under.
Speaker 2: Deep learning exactly. GENAI systems are powered by these deep learning models, and their big trick is creating new stuff text, images, code, you name it, based on all that data they learned from. The quality has just exploded recently, mostly thanks to those deep learning breakthroughs.
Speaker 1: So how does that magic actually happen with language or code? I mean, how does the machine go from data to like writing a function?
Speaker 2: Well, it comes down to those neural networks. Again, our source explains they're trained on just enormous data sets. Think about recognizing a hot dog. You feed it millions of pictures labeled hot dog or not hot dog. It learns the patterns right, bun cylinder, shape, et cetera. For language, it's way more complex. They don't understand words like we do. Your input, like text or code, gets broken down into numbers. We call them tokens. Think of them like pixels for text. These tokens go through the network layers and the model predicts the next most likely token and the next building up a response.
Speaker 1: Okay, tokens make sense numbers instead of words, But how does it get context? How does it know bank means a riverbank here, but a financial bank there. Older model struggled with that, just going word by word exactly.
Speaker 2: That was a huge limitation. The real revolution, the thing that made Jennai take off for language was the transformer model. Transformers introduce this thing called a self attention mechanism. Instead of just processing things in order one after another, they can look at the entire input sequence, a whole sentence, a whole block of code, all at once and figure out how different parts relate to each other, which words or tokens are most important to each other.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so it's not just sequential anymore. It's like it grasps the whole context instantly. Yeah, that's a huge lead, and you can immediately see how that helps with the really repetitive, annoying coding tasks.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, take boilerplate code, you know, the stuff you have to write but nobody really enjoys. Like setting up a basic HTML page structure.
Speaker 1: Yes, necessary, but it's such a drag. You just want to get to the interesting part. So how does AI help there? What's the example.
Speaker 2: The source gives a great one. Chris Minnick just asks chat sheeppt for an HTML template. He specified like a three column flexbox layout top, navbar, footter, a pretty standard but non trivial setup.
Speaker 1: And did it like actually generate usable flexbox CSS? Yeah, because I've spent hours tweaking flexbox before it did.
Speaker 2: It gave him a full, ready to go HTML file CSS included that did exactly what he asked. It looked pretty much like what a human would write, but done in seconds. Compare that to finding snippets are starting from scratch. Huge time saver.
Speaker 1: That really is impressive for just a natural language. Quest makes you think about other common stuff. Yeah, like CRU operations, create, read, update, delete. Every app with data needs that right.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, and it's often tedious. The source shows an example of generating no JS code for CRU with Mango dB using Mongoose. The interesting part is the process. The first attempt, with a vague prompt to bing or chat GPT, gave back code that was okay ish, but it had this funny fly. It tried to use a simple DAVASCRIPT array as if it were a real database.
Speaker 1: Ah. Classic AI oversimplification. When it doesn't have enough context, so refining the prompt was key.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, This really drives home the importance of prompt engineering. When the prompt was updated to clearly say no JS, Mango, dB, Mongoose, the result was way better, impressively human like code actually latest dramascript, syntax, error handling, even comments. Then, of course you still have to do the actual setup and PM and it install Mondose, run the script, check the database, but the code generation part was solid.
Speaker 1: It shows that iteration, that back and forth is crucial. You guide the AI exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a partnership.
Speaker 1: So AI handled the gruntwork freeze up brain space. That's massive. But what about when you're in the code wrestling with syntax, trying to remember some specific API method. AI is an intelligent partner, right.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Just remembering syntax or looking it up is a huge chunk of programming time. We've had code completion for ages like Microsofts and Tellisons back in ninety six, useful, but.
Speaker 1: Limited, right, suggesting the next word or function name. Jenny I takes this way further.
Speaker 2: I assume, oh totally. Tools like getthub, Copilot, Amazon code Whisper. They don't just suggest the next word. They can suggest whole lines, entire functions, even blocks of code. They learn from massive code data sets, but also look at your current project, imported libraries, other open files for context. The source mentions copilot helping with the arguments for array dot reduce. That's a common one that trips people up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, reduce always takes me a second look. But what about learning news syntax? Can these tools actually teach you or just remind you?
Speaker 2: They can definitely help you learn. The chat interfaces are great for asking how do I do X in language? Why? But and this is a big butt from the source, you have to watch out for the training data cutoff dates Like GPT three doesn't know about JavaScript features added after September twenty twenty one. GBT four is much more current, but it's still a moving target.
Speaker 1: Always verify good point, so it's generating helping with syntax. Can it also check your code? Like linting? That seems like a natural fit.
Speaker 2: It is, so linting for anyone maybe not familiar, is like a superpowered spell checker and grammar checker for your code. Static analysis it finds potential errors, style issues, bugs without even running the code.
Speaker 1: And generative AI tools like Bard or whatever can basically act like a linter now pointing out typos or awkward style exactly.
Speaker 2: Or you have tools like eslin AI that integrate with existing linters. They don't just flag the issue, they can give you a natural language explanation of why it's considered bad practice.
Speaker 1: This all leads to a big question about to code, doesn't it? Is AI a crutch or is it like having a tutor. There's that whole debate in education.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the source leans towards AI becoming a normal and essential tool for learning, much like Google or textbooks are now, but it stresses, really stresses that there's no substitute for gaining experience through writing code or from interacting with more experienced programmers. AI can assist, it can explain, but it doesn't replace actually doing it and learning from humans.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, which brings us to AI pair programming. Sounds futuristic, but it's happening. The model is you're the navigator doing the high level thinking, setting direction with comments and code, and the AI is the driver or assistant, suggesting code snippets as you go. What are the pros and cons there?
Speaker 2: Well, the pros are pretty clear less time hunting for syntax, less typing, boilerplate. Your AI partner is always there, super fast and knows tons of different ways to code things from its training. No waiting for a human partner.
Speaker 1: But the cons I mean a human pair programmer does more than just type, right. They challenge ideas, spot bigger architectural issues.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you lose that deeper knowledge sharing and critical feedback loop you get with a human. Plus the AI suggestions might be subtly wrong, outdated, or even introduce security vulnerability is a human would catch. And here's the key takeaway from the source on this AI pair programming works best for coders who know their language and have experienced writing code without the use of AI. The AI, as the source puts, it, speaks confidently but doesn't know anything about programming. It's pattern matching, not true understanding.
Speaker 1: Right, It's a tool for someone who understands, not a replacement. The source walks through building a trivia game with Copilot to show this, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good practical example. Start with index dot html, write a detailed comment explaining the game. Copilot generates some starter HTML. Then you refine it. Tell it you want JavaScript data from a specific file datatrivia dot js, tell it to use radio buttons. Rance Copilot generates the trivia Questions dot js data structure. Then, because it sees both index dot html and Trivia Questions dot js are open, it uses that context to help write the functions in the main trivia dot js file.
Speaker 1: So it's that iterative cycle again. You write some code, write a comment, accept or modify a suggestion, test it out.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and after maybe twenty minutes or so on the second try, you end up with a somewhat functional trivia game. Not perfect, but a solid start built collaboratively.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. And for people who prefer coding right in the browser, there's Replet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Replet's an interesting platform. It's an online ID, so no local setup needed. It's got collaboration built in deployment, and its own suite of AI tools things like generate, debug, explain, modify code, plus the copilot.
Speaker 1: Style completion, and the source shows using it to spin up a quick website, even for a fake band called Grapefruit Pulp.
Speaker 2: Right. It just shows how quickly you can get a project moving using these integrated AI features in an online environment.
Speaker 1: So we've seen AI generate code, help and syntax act as a pair programmer. But what about improving the code we already have refactoring, testing, maintenance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another huge area where AI is making inroads. Let's talk refactoring first. That's improving the code's internal structure and making it cleaner, more efficient, easier to understand without changing what it actually does.
Speaker 1: And the source uses that great term code smells like something's a bit off, indicating a deeper potential problem. Right, good lead to code rot if you.
Speaker 2: Ignore it exactly. It's a perfect analogy. And these smells fall into types dispensables like duplicate code or comments that just state the obvious. Bloaters like massive functions or classes doing too much, abusers, maybe using language features incorrectly, couplers where different parts of the code are way too dependent on each other, and change preventors things that make future updates really hard.
Speaker 1: So can AI like copilot chat actually detect these smells? Can it sniff out a bloater function?
Speaker 2: I can try? In the tiktac toe example from the source, copilot Chat did identify several smells a function that was too long magic numbers just unexplained numbers in the code, also inconsistent naming, not enough comments, and using global data when it could have been better encapsulated.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it found the smells, did it suggest how to fix them, like actual refactoring steps.
Speaker 2: It did make suggestions, for instance, moving event handlers out of the HTML and into the JavaScript, or wrapping the game state in a class to avoid global variables. However, the source also cautions that trying to get Copilot to automatically fix the code sometimes introduce new errors, and for more complex things like improving the tic tac toe AI player itself, the suggestions weren't always great, right, So.
Speaker 1: Again, it's a helpful assistant for identifying issues and suggesting approaches, but you absolutely need to review and test its suggestions carefully. Don't accept a suggestion blindly.
Speaker 2: That's the constant refrain and it's crucial. Now, let's shift testing. The source gives that fun anecdote about Admiral Grace Hopper and the first literal computer bug A moth. Testing is just fundamental.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, I got to make sure the code does what you think it does. How does AI help with the testing process itself? Planning writing tests.
Speaker 2: Both actually for planning. AI can analyze requirements documents to suggest test cases or scenarios. It can help identify which parts of the code are riskiest and need more testing. It can even simulate user journeys to find potential problems.
Speaker 1: That's pretty advanced and for writing the actual tests like unit tests. The source mentions using jest with copilot chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once you have just set up, you can literally prompt Copilot like write just test for the checkwin function in this file, and it will generate test cases trying to cover different scenarios. And you can even ask for coverage reports.
Speaker 1: But there's a catch, right, I've heard AI can sometimes write tests that pass even if the code is wrong.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a massive pitfall, the source highlights. Just because all the AI generated tests passed does not mean the code is correct. There's an example with a simple sum number function that had a bug. Copilot initially wrote tests that confirmed the buggy behavior. You have to be really specific in your prompts, and more importantly, you need to understand the code well enough to know if the tests are actually validating the intended logic, not just whatever logic happens to be there. Human oversight is non negotiable.
Speaker 1: Got it tricky? What about TDD test driven development? Writing the failing test first, then the code can AI fit into that workflow?
Speaker 2: It can help you write the failing test. Then you can ask copilot to help write the code to make that specific test pass. But the source author found that sometimes in the TIC TAC TOE TDD process, copilot got weirdly stubborn and refused to answer programming questions, forcing them to write the con manually. It seems like it might struggle with that specific constrained TDD cycle.
Speaker 1: Sometimes interesting, So it's not quite seamless there yet. Okay. Beyond writing and testing, documentation and maintenance huge parts of the software life cycle.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Documentation breaks down into internal for other devs like code comments, design docs, and external for users like read deems tutorials, API docs.
Speaker 1: Right and for comments. There are tools like mintlified doc writer in vs code that use AI to generate them. How good are they?
Speaker 2: They can be useful for generating standard stuff like jas dot comments explaining parameters and return types, but the source compares AI comments to human written ones for some underscore dot JS functions. The verdict AI can be detailed, but sometimes overly wordy, and it often misses the nuance. The why behind the code that a human developer would include makes sense.
Speaker 1: It explains the what, but maybe not the why. What about visual docs diagrams?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tools like draw dot io can now use AI to generate diagrams from text prompts. You could ask it to make a sequence diagram for making an apple pie, or describe your software components and it'll try to visualize it. Pretty handy for quick diagrams.
Speaker 1: And API documentation that's often the pain point. Using OpenAPI Specification.
Speaker 2: OAS, huge timesaver Copilot can help generate that OAS file, usually in eamal format, describing your API endpoints. Then tools like read me can ingest that file and automatically create interactive, user friendly API documentation websites.
Speaker 1: That's slick and the source mentions. Create your own chatbot for your API docs using chat GPT.
Speaker 2: Plus, Yeah, you can create a custom GPT upload your OAS file as its knowledge base. Then you or your users can ask it questions like how do I authenticate? Or show me how to create a user with Python, and it'll answer based on your specific API docs. Still might make mistakes, but very cool.
Speaker 1: Potential, very cool, indeed okay. Final, big area software maintenance keeping the code alive and healthy.
Speaker 2: Right and the source breaks maintenance into four types. Corrective fixing bugs, adaptive, changing code because the environment changed, like a new OS version, perfective adding new features or removing old ones. And preventative making changes now to prevent problems later, like refactoring or improving security.
Speaker 1: So how does AI help across those four types?
Speaker 2: In lots of ways. Automated error detection and reporting, Predictive maintenance like analyzing logs to guess where failures might happen, helping with refactoring as we discussed, managing dependencies, checking for outdated libraries, analyzing user feedback from bug reports or feature requests, and a big one security Vulnerability scanning tools like Snick can scan your code and dependencies, find known vulnerabilities, and sometimes even automatically create pull requests with the fixes.
Speaker 1: Wow automatically opening pole requests. That's proactive as all ties into code quality and managing.
Speaker 2: Technical debt right exactly. Code quality isn't just does it work functional quality, but also is it well built? Easy to change? Structural quality. Technical debt is that idea that taking shortcuts now means you'll pay more later in terms of time and effort to fix or refactor things.
Speaker 1: And tools like code Climate automate checking for that. Yeah, giving your code a grade.
Speaker 2: Yep, you connected to your repo. It analyzes the code for maintainability issues, complexity, duplicate. It gives you a grade AF and estimates how long it would take to fix the identified technical debt.
Speaker 1: The source mentions actually beating code Climate's estimate for fixing things in the signapage dot js file.
Speaker 2: Right, which shows human intuition and focus can still sometimes outperform the automated estimate, but it also highlights that fixing one thing often uncovered other bugs. It's a continuous cycle, achieving that a gray doesn't mean you're done forever. Maintenance is ongoing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a lot we've covered. Bringing it all together, what are the really crucial takeaways for you listening right now? First, maybe obviously, don't stop coding yourself. You need to lead use AI as a tool, but rely on your own skills first and foremost.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and when the AI gives you something weird or unexpected, ask follow up questions, probe it, don't just accept confusing output, and always double check against official documentation. AI models can be out of date or just make things up. They call it hallucination.
Speaker 1: Verify facts, good point and be specific with your prompts. Give clear context, providing examples if you can. The better your input, the better the AI's output. Garbage in garbage out still applies, and security. Be careful anonymized sensitive data before pasting it into a prompt. Don't feed the AI your company's secret sauce or user.
Speaker 2: PII critically important. Also, keep your tools updated. This whole field is moving incredibly fast, new models, new features, improved accuracy, Stay current and remember the limits. AI isn't magic. It learns from existing data. If you're doing something truly novel, something way outside its training data, it probably won't be much help.
Speaker 1: Right. And finally, that classic advice from Donald Knuth maybe more relevant than ever with AI tempting us to tweak endlessly. Avoid premature optimization. Spending hours to shave off a few microseconds, potentially introducing bugs usually not worth it. Get it working correctly and clearly first, then optimize if needed.
Speaker 2: So true, we've really peeled back the layers here, haven't we? From AI automating the boring bits to being a code partner, to helping refactor, test, and maintain software. We've seen the amazing potential, but also hammered home that need for human oversight, critical thinking, and just continuous learning. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Chris Minnick, the author of our main source notes. He wrote the book about a year after chat GPT burst onto the scene. He says, these tools have begun to change how we think about creating content.
Speaker 2: So think about everything we discussed today. Here's something to chew on. If AI genuinely helps you code faster, maybe better, maybe learn new things more quickly. What totally new, more ambitious, more creative problems could you start tackling now, Problems that maybe seemed out of reach?
Speaker 1: Book?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what does this unlock? Not just for coders, but for anyone trying to build something new or solve a tricky problem? What's the next horizon?
Speaker 1: This opens up lots to think about. Thank you for joining us on this deep dive. Keep learning, keep experimenting, keep asking questions. It's an exciting time.