Speaker 1: So imagine this, What if you could talk to AI, like, really talk to it so it just gets exactly what you mean and it responds perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a genuine meeting of minds, almost exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, today we're diving deep into something called prompt engineering. It's basically the art and science of having those kinds of conversations with large language models, you know lms like chat, GPT, and it's way more than just typing in a question, right, It's about really crafting that dialogue, it really is.
Speaker 2: And our guide for this is a fascinating new book just out in twenty twenty five. It's called Prompt Engineering Empowering Communication, Oh okay, by Ajantha Devi Varamani and Anan Naire, and it's well, it's pretty foundational. It's like our map for understanding how to really tap into what these lms can do.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, So our mission today for you listening is basically to cut through the hype maybe some of the jargon too, Yeah, definitely, and get you really informed about what prompt engineer is, why it suddenly becomes so important, and you know how you might start thinking about using it even if you're totally new to this, right, we'll look at some maybe surprising ways prompts are being used and what it all kind of means for how we'll interact with AI going forward. That's good, okay, So let's unpack this a bit. We've all like asked chat chepte a question, yeah, or use some other AI.
Speaker 2: Tool, Sure most people probably have by now.
Speaker 1: But prompt engineering it takes that simple question and turns it into something well more sophisticated. The book has this great description actually, oh yeah. It calls it intertwining instructions and information into this web in a way that gently nudges the LM toward the intended result.
Speaker 2: Nudges I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It says it's like whispering ideas into the ear of a gifted artist, offering just enough direction to ignite their creative spark without drowning out their distinct voice.
Speaker 2: That's a fantastic analogy. It captures that subtlety. It's not just commanding, it's.
Speaker 1: Guiding exactly, moving from just asking to actually guiding the AI.
Speaker 2: And that means the prompt itself changes meaning, doesn't it. It's not just your question anymore. It becomes the whole package, the instructions. Maybe an example, you give it the background context. It's the roadmap you provide for the AI's answer.
Speaker 1: So it could be just attendance or much more complex.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, it could be quite detailed, several clauses, specific directives. You're influencing how it responds using natural language, or sometimes even specific system instructions or constraints. The art really is in crafting that guidance effectively.
Speaker 1: Okay, so why now? Why is this suddenly such a big deal? What are the implications here?
Speaker 2: That really is the core question, isn't it? And the book lays out a few key reasons why prompt engineering is vital right now?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Firstly, it helps us unlock the full potential of these elms. Think about it. These models have learned from just unimaginable amounts of text data.
Speaker 1: Right the scale is huge.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and prompt engineering lets us tap into that knowledge for things they weren't explicitly trained to do. The book mentions things like authoring engrossing novels or complex musical compositions.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so pushing beyond their standard programming.
Speaker 2: Precisely extending what they can inherently do. Secondly, it gives us precision and management. This is crucial. How so, Well, if you need accuracy, think about news reporting or scientific study, you can't just have a vague answer. Prompt engineering lets you carefully craft the output guide it towards factual accuracy, towards the specific requirements of the task.
Speaker 1: So getting exactly what you need, not just something exactly.
Speaker 2: Then there's uniqueness and creativity. A really well designed prompt can spark the llms well, you could call it imagination, leading to novel and surprising results. It can genuinely help foster creative solutions that you might not have thought of otherwise.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's interesting using it as a creative partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And finally, and this is a big one, it's about democratizing AI. Good prompt engineering makes these powerful tools more accessible.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Well, people without deep technical coding skills can still leverage AI effectively. They can use prompts to get the AI to do complex things for their creative and productive efforts. It opens it up right, so.
Speaker 1: It's not just for developers anymore, artists, writers, small businesses, everyone.
Speaker 2: Potentially, it fundamentally changes who gets to innovate with this tech.
Speaker 1: It's easy to think this is all brand new, like AI just appeared. But you're saying the roots of this guiding AI with language go back further.
Speaker 2: Oh much further. You're right. The idea isn't new at all. If you connect the dots, you can trace it back to early experiments like what well think about chatbots like Eliza that was way back in nineteen sixty six. Wow, it mimicked a therapist trying to hold a conversation. And then in the seventies there was shr dlu shrdlu. Yeah, it was a natural language system that could understand and follow commands in a simple virtual world of blocks.
Speaker 1: So early attempts at language based in st diction.
Speaker 2: Exactly rudimentary, is sure, but they lay the groundwork. They showed that human language could direct what an AI does.
Speaker 1: And then things really took off with the transfermer revolution in twenty seventeen. That seems like the pivotal moment.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that paper attention is all you need was the breakthrough. It paved the way for these incredibly powerful lms like GPT three, and that's when prompt engineering really emerged as its own distinct skill, its own field.
Speaker 1: Right, and the open AI GPT models that progression is pretty key to understanding this isn't it?
Speaker 2: It really is. It shows the rapid evolution. So GPT one came out in twenty eighteen. It used unsupervised pre training, had about one hundred and seventeen million parameters.
Speaker 1: Parameters those like the internal knobs the AI uses.
Speaker 2: To learn sort of yeah, the variables. It adjusts a huge number of them. Then GPT two in twenty nineteen was a big step up one point five billion parameters WHOA and trained on much more data about forty gigabytes. It showed definite improvements in coherence generating texts.
Speaker 1: GPT three was the next massive.
Speaker 2: Leap massive is the word twenty twenty one hundred and seventy five billion parameters trained on huge chunks of the Internet common crawl Wikipedia, and it showed really impressive coherence and creativity. It could even write code, which was pretty mind blowing at the time.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't perfect. Was it? Their issues?
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. The book points out challenges with misalignment. Sometimes what the user wanted didn't quite line up with how the model was trained. I mean, it could generate stuff that was wrong, erroneous, or even problematic content like biased are toxic text. That was a real hurdle.
Speaker 1: So how do they tackle that? Because that sounds like a major barrier to using it widely.
Speaker 2: It was, and OpenAI solution was pretty ingenious. Actually, they introduced something called instruct GPT in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Instruct GPT, Yeah, and the.
Speaker 2: Key was using reinforcement learning with human feedback our LHF.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does that involve.
Speaker 2: Well, it's quite meticulous. They had human labelers write high quality ideal answers to various.
Speaker 1: Prompts I like examples of good behavior exactly.
Speaker 2: And then they trained another model, a reward model, to basically score the AI's responses based on how close they were to those human examples.
Speaker 1: So the AI learned to aim for what the humans preferred precisely.
Speaker 2: It iteratively refined the main model, and the book says this significantly enhances model accuracy and reduces the generation of toxic content, made them much safer and more reliable.
Speaker 1: And that whole process, that refinement led directly to the models we know now pretty much.
Speaker 2: That work fed into the GPT three point five series, and then, of course November twenty twenty two, Chat GPT launched based on that series.
Speaker 1: Right when it really hit the mainstream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then March twenty twenty three we got GPT four the current top.
Speaker 1: Tier, and that one's multimodal right handles images too, that's the claim.
Speaker 2: Yes, the inaugural multimodal model. It can process text and images, though the image input part isn't widely public yet.
Speaker 1: But the performance jumps huge.
Speaker 2: Oh staggering. The book gives examples like the Uniform Bar Exam CHAT GPT scored around the tenth percentile GPT four ninetieth percent style or the International Biology Olympiad CHAT GPT was thirty first percentile GTT four hit the ninety ninth.
Speaker 1: That's incredible progress in just a year or so.
Speaker 2: It really highlights how fast this field is moving.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got the history, we know what's kind of under the hood, how do we actually do prompt engineering? Like, for you listening, what are the practical ways to start guiding these ais better?
Speaker 2: Right? The nuts and bolts? Well, the book lays out a whole toolkit, but the core principles are pretty straightforward. Okay. It starts with really understanding the task you want the AI to do, being precise and succinct in your language, giving enough detail but not too much.
Speaker 1: Finding that balance.
Speaker 2: Exactly providing examples can be huge and maybe most importantly, experiment. There's no single magic formula. It's iterative. You try something, see what happens.
Speaker 1: To Okay, So let's dig into some specific techniques people can try. The book mentions, the instructions prompt technique first sound straightforward.
Speaker 2: It is pretty much you basically just tell the model exactly what you want it to do, often using clear commands imperative verbs. So yeah, so if you need customer service replies, you might instruct it. Responses should be professional and provide accurate information, nice and clear.
Speaker 1: Or for maybe a legal context.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could say draft this section ensuring the document complies with relevant laws and regulations. You're setting clear rules guardrails for the output.
Speaker 1: Okay, makes sense. Then there's zero one and few shot prompting. That sounds interesting. What's the difference?
Speaker 2: This is a really helpful way to think about context. So zero shot is when you give it no specific examples in the prompt itself, just the instruction, just the instruction. Yeah, like write a poem about nature, the AI has to rely entirely on its pre existing knowledge. It's general training about poems and nature, so.
Speaker 1: It's kind of gets based on its vast training data.
Speaker 2: In a way. Yes, and the book points out that while it sounds simple, every word counts massively here. A slightly ambiguous word can send it off track. It really tests your ability to be concise and clear.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what if you need to give it a bit more direction, show what you mean.
Speaker 2: That's where one shot and FU shot come in. With one shot, you provide just one example.
Speaker 1: Uh So, say you.
Speaker 2: Want a paragraph summarized in a very specific, concise style. You'd give it the paragraph and then maybe one example of a sentence summarizing the style you want. You're showing it how just.
Speaker 1: Once demonstrating the task exactly.
Speaker 2: And FU shot just scales that up a bit. You give it a small number maybe two, three, five examples.
Speaker 1: Like for a product review, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good example. If you want to review with certain elements, you might describe the product briefly, then provide maybe two or three examples of well written reviews formatted the way you like. This gives the AI more patterns to.
Speaker 1: Learn from, and that leads to better, more tailored results.
Speaker 2: Usually often, Yes, especially for more or complex or stylistic tasks, more examples generally mean better guidance.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the last one mention here is self consistency prompt. What's that about? Sounds important for factual stuff? It is.
Speaker 2: It's crucial when you need the output to be logical and coherent, and especially when it needs to stick to certain facts or principles.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: You basically embed key facts or maybe core principles directly within the prompt itself.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you feed it the essential info it needs to stay.
Speaker 2: On track precisely. The book uses the example of a climate change discussion. You might include specific established scientific data points or consensus statements right in the prompt, and that.
Speaker 1: Helps prevent it from just making things up or going off on a tangent.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It acts like an internal reference guide for that specific answer, keeping it grounded in the information you provided.
Speaker 1: These techniques they really seem to allow for incredibly specific outcomes, don't they Moving way beyond just generic answers?
Speaker 2: They really do. It's about tailoring the AI's as capabilities to your precise needs. And this is why the future of LLM communication looks so interesting. Things like AI powered negotiation tools or real time translation that understands nuance or news updates customize just for you. Prompt engineering is the key to unlocking all of that. It's how we teach the AI to understand our intent with much, much greater precision.
Speaker 1: You know, the book title Empowering Communication really starts to make sense. Now. It's not just about tech, is it. These prompts can actually change how we work and interact across well, pretty much everywhere.
Speaker 2: That's a really important point. The book actually highlights applications in over a dozen different professional fields. It's incredibly versatile.
Speaker 1: Give us some examples, maybe some less obvious ones for people listening to think about.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, well, take creative thinking prompts can genuinely help unlock imagination and innovation. How so imagine using prompts designed specifically to challenge your assumptions during brainstorming, or prompts that go an AI to generate, say, an initial sketch for an artwork representing the beauty of diversity and inclusivity. It's a starting point for human creativity.
Speaker 1: So using the AI not just to do the creative work, but to spark our own creativity.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating exactly, or think about effective writing. We all face writer's block sometimes, right prompts can be invaluable for just igniting the writing process. You could ask for a prompt to explore the concept of time travel and a short story, but maybe from the perspective of an object not a person, or create a story about a character who discovers a hitting world within everyday objects. It gives you that initial seed, a narrative launch pad precisely, and then in business, prompts can help craft effective presentations, maybe generate different options for an opening hook, like a powerful rhetorical question to grab the audience, or even assist in negotiation and persuasion by helping you frame arguments about, say the importance of building rapport before diving into the deal points.
Speaker 1: And it reaches into really specialized fields too, like medicine or law.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the book mentions healthcare professionals using prompts to enhance empathetic patient communication, maybe prompts that encourage patients to articulate their health goals clearly or guiding ethical decision making discussions. And for legal professionals, prompts could help draft sections of persuasive legal writing. Maybe exploring arguments for or against the constitutionality of a law to help refine the lawyer's own thinking.
Speaker 1: Okay, and data science, that seems like a natural fit.
Speaker 2: Definitely for data scientists. Prompts can guide analysis at every stage, from framing questions for data cleaning and preprocessing, like asking the AI to reflect on the importance of data cleaning, all the way to generating different types of data visualizations or summarizing findings from complex models.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a huge range. It really drives home that this isn't just a niche tech skill, it's becoming a fundamental communication skill across disciplines.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly right. It's about empowering community, whoever you are, whatever field you're in.
Speaker 1: So we've talked a lot about using prompts as an individual user interacting with chat GPT on the website or similar But what if you're a developer or a business, What if you want to build these AI capabilities into your own software, your own products. That's where the API comes.
Speaker 2: In, right exactly. The chat GPT API Application Programming Interface is what lets developers integrate these powerful conversational AI features directly into their own apps and services.
Speaker 1: The bridge. Basically, it's the bridge.
Speaker 2: It moves beyond just the chat window and lets you embed the AI's power systematically.
Speaker 1: Okay, so for someone listening, why would they care about using an API versus just going to the website. What are the big advantages?
Speaker 2: Well, they're pretty significant. First, you can build much more customized conversational interfaces, think chatbots or virtual assistance embedded right into your product, speaking your brand's voice, accessing your specific data. Much more integrated, right, not just a generic bot exactly. Second, content generation at scale. The API lets you automate the creation of marketing, copy, articles, summaries, whatever you need, much faster, and ensuring a consistent tone and style across everything.
Speaker 1: That could be huge for businesses.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. And Third scalability and customizability. Open AI handles the massive computing infrastructure, so you don't have to worry about that scaling. Plus, you can actually fine tune the models using your own data, so you can.
Speaker 1: Train it on your specific company information or.
Speaker 2: Style precisely to suit very specific use cases, making the AI perform better for your particular needs. It becomes deeply integrated, and just like with.
Speaker 1: The techniques, there isn't just one API model is there there are different options.
Speaker 2: That's a really key point. Yeah, it's not one size fits all. There's a whole spectrum of models, mainly differing by their parameter size, which affects capability and cost.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are we talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, at the top end, you might have something like chat GPT three point five B that's three point five billion parameters, very capable, great for complex tasks, nuanced.
Speaker 1: Conversation, probably more resource intensive.
Speaker 2: Generally, yes. Then you might step down to maybe chat GPT one point five b one point five billion parameters, still very powerful, often a good balance of performance and efficiency. Then you get smaller ones like chat GPT three hundred M three hundred million parameters, maybe better for faster responses, lower latency, or less demanding tasks right, and even smaller like chat GPT one twenty five M one hundred and twenty five million parameters design for environments where resources are really tight, maybe simple classification tasks or running on less powerful devices.
Speaker 1: So choosing the right one is a balancing act.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you have to weigh up performance needs, how complex the task is, what computing resources, you have, latency requirements, and of course cost. It's often again an iterative process. You test model, see how it performs, get feedback, maybe try another one and refine your choice.
Speaker 1: This is all incredibly powerful stuff, but you know the old saying, with great power.
Speaker 2: Comes great responsibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about the ethical side of prompt engineering? That has to be a major consideration.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is, and the book stresses us we have to think carefully about responsible and equitable.
Speaker 1: Use, like what specifically, Well.
Speaker 2: One big area is bias. The book points out how prompts with built in biases may cause discriminatory communication if we're not careful. The prompts themselves can encode assumptions or stereotypes.
Speaker 1: Right, garbage in, garbage out, potentially.
Speaker 2: Amplify exactly or issues of fairness manipulation. As we build these incredibly persuasive communication tools, we really have a duty to align them with ethical principles.
Speaker 1: So how do we do that? How do we make sure we're using prompts effectively and ethically? Is it just about having good intentions?
Speaker 2: Good intentions are a start, but it needs a process. The book really emphasizes evaluating and refining prompts as an ongoing iterative cycle, like any kind of design.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what does that cycle look like?
Speaker 2: It means first assessing the impact, asking hard questions, is this prompt actually sparking creativity like we hoped? Is it promoting critical thinking or is it accidentally leading to harmful outputs or reinforcing biases?
Speaker 1: Really checking the results against the goals yes.
Speaker 2: Then gathering feedback, actively asking the people using the prompts or interacting with the AI what's clear, what's confusing, what problems are they running into?
Speaker 1: Getting real world input.
Speaker 2: Crucial, and finally, iterative refinement. Based on that impact assessment and the feedback, You continually adjust, tweak and improve the pumps. You make sure they stay relevant, effective, and fair for different people in situations. It's not a one and done thing.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a constant conversation really, Yeah, not just the conversation with the AI, but a conversation about how we're shaping that interaction.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. It's a continuous process of learning and improvement within the whole AI community.
Speaker 1: Well, we have covered a lot of ground today. We've taken this deep dive into prompt engineering right from its surprisingly long.
Speaker 2: History, Yeah, going back to Eliza all the.
Speaker 1: Way to its absolutely central role now and getting the most out of these powerful llms like chat GPT. We've seen how crafting these prompts carefully is becoming the key really to getting precise, creative, and hopefully ethically sound AI interactions, and that applies everywhere writing, business, healthcare, data science, you name it.
Speaker 2: It really is spreading across the board.
Speaker 1: And this whole prompt revolution it feels like it's just getting started, doesn't it. The book hints at things like automated prompt generation, prompts that adapt on the fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the future looks even more dynamic, more nuanced communication.
Speaker 1: So maybe a final thought for everyone listening today, as we get better and better at speaking the language of AI, as we learn to craft these prompts with more skill, just think what new kinds of human ingenuity might get unleashed.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, interesting question.
Speaker 1: When the tools we use can respond with this incredible precision to our thoughts are instructions, What could you create when your ideas aren't limited by clumsy interfaces anymore, but maybe only by the clarity and creativity of your own prompts. What becomes possible then,