Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome to episode two hundred and forty of The Teamhouse. I'm Jack Murphy here with Dave Park. Our boy Adam White is back there in the darkness. De's pressing the buttons and our guest in studio. He's third appearance on the show, but the first time in studio. We're really excited to have him here. I haven't seen this dude in person for like seventeen years. This Mike Edwards. Mike served in the seventy fifth Ranger Regiment. We were in three seven five back in the day together, and he went on to have a career in the Regimental Reconnaissance Company and then as a military freefall instructor.
Speaker 2: So we're really excited to have you here. Man.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for having me back. I appreciate it. Yeah, good to see you on person for real. Yeah, hell yeah. And oh shout out to a new artwork on the wall. That's from Invader Girl. If you guys go check her out at Invadergirl dot Invader girl art dot com or follow her on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's got amazing art. Definitely check her stuff out.
Speaker 2: She has awesome stuff that is sweet. So Mike, I'm gonna have you.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry if I have you repeat yourself a little bit, but I'm gonna I think it got cut off a little bit in our first interview actually, but I'm gonna ask you to tell us a little bit about like your origin story and sort of your upbringing in like your path towards military service, Like how did that come about for you?
Speaker 3: Yes, So I grew up living out in the country, just me and my brother playing in the woods, shooting baby guns, hunting squirrels and you know, rabbits and stuff like that in rural Alabama. Had a normal upbringing, good mother, good father, you know, I love them both.
Speaker 2: We're still close.
Speaker 3: My whole family's close, cousins, aunts, uncles. So I had a good bond there with family.
Speaker 2: Grew up.
Speaker 3: As I got a little bit older, my dad went in the army. He went in the army kind a little bit later in life, like in his thirties, and he became an officer. So once I got older, Yeah, I never really thought about joining the military, but I was probably about midway through high school and I just decided, you know, I want to try out the military, you know, go in the National Guard. So I joined the National Guard my dad wanted me to be an officer, so I ended up doing boot camp and AI t for the National Guard, was an infantry National Guard.
Speaker 2: And then went to marrying military and suit to be an officer.
Speaker 3: So did two years there and then I was good at Rotc's type stuff, the military aspect of it.
Speaker 2: But I was too I was young and immature.
Speaker 3: I wanted to party, and I was too worried about trouting, you know, drinking and partying and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So I didn't focus on grades as well as I should.
Speaker 3: The military aspect, I mean, like all hundreds, but then you know, pet score good to go. But then some of the other aspects I was struggling on. So I ended up withdrawing from school after two years. It was a two year military school where you do two years, you get your commission as an officer, and then you'd go to like University of Alabama or Auburn or something like that. So I withdrew failing and just decided to just move back in with my mom down in like Gulf Shores Folly area of Alabama. Lived down there, did some construction work for a little bit, but you know, the army thing was kind of always in the back of my mind.
Speaker 2: So I ended up enlisting to go active duty.
Speaker 3: Started off in third Infantry Division at Kelly Hill on Fort Benning in a mechanized infantry unit.
Speaker 2: Did a little bit of time there.
Speaker 3: Have some good friends still keep in touch from from back then, but did some time there. Ended up wanted to go Special Forces. Always thought like special Forces. Green Beret was like the way to go. My dad was like, hey, special Forces is the brains. Rangers are the brawn. That's what my dad used to say. And uh, you know, I ended up doing everything to get ready to set up for Special Forces selection, and then you know, had did the prept test, had a selection date setup and then boom got popped for.
Speaker 2: Orders to go to Korea.
Speaker 3: So I did a year in Korea and then nine to eleven popped off, and then things changed and I ended up going to the Ranger Regiment. So I guess that's kind of in the nutshell and kicking it off from childhood up to initial entry in the army.
Speaker 2: What what was it like when you were in.
Speaker 4: Because I didn't even know if there is mechanized infantry anymore?
Speaker 2: Was there? Yeah? The Strikers, Yeah, Bradley's. Yeah, I was in a Bradley. No, no, it's not because it used to be yeah loving Mike, Yeah, no, I don't. I don't think the ms exist really. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, like, what what was that light compared to like straight leg infantry?
Speaker 2: It was it was completely different.
Speaker 3: We were at the mercy of those bradleys, right, So wherever the Bradley went, that was like our little that was like our shop, you know, so it.
Speaker 2: Rolled around they did staying.
Speaker 3: We kept all of our gears strapped to the outside of like our rucksacks, a shopped on the outside, MRIs and stuff like that. It would drop the raft we would go do light infantry stuff, but then we'd always come back to that Bradley and it actually we ended up spending a lot of time in those bradleys too.
Speaker 2: I remember one time at NTC we were driving around.
Speaker 3: I think we were like twenty something hours straight in the back of the bradleys. I mean, you're just like sleeping like this, and then you're up and then you're sleeping like everybody's piled in there.
Speaker 2: You're stacked in there like sardines, right, and those things.
Speaker 3: I don't don't know if a lot of people know they have a drain hole plug in the bottom of them because they're made to be amphibious, right, So even the newer ones still have the legacy train plugs. So we'd be in those things. You couldn't unhatch that thing. It was like like you almost had to have orders to let the ramp down. So twenty something hours in there, like we were popping those train holes out and peeing out of the train holes. It was nasty in the back of those things, just to be quick with it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. It was different, a lot different than light infantry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never really experienced light infantry until I got to the Ranger Regiment.
Speaker 4: Yeahah, what was it like for you in Korea because that's uh, that's kind of a hardship to it, right for infantry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I mean, that's what they call it. So for me when I went there, it was prior to nine to eleven. When I initially got there, it was we had a star major that was big on PT so I mean that kind of set me up for the Ranger Regiment. He was like, I want everybody to run a marathon before the time you leave here. So in twelve months. If you're ye, He's like, we're gonna do a little bit more, a little bit more, a little bit more. So we do these incredibly slow but yet long runs. So by the time that year was up, I had run a marathon in a battalion formation, like like probably two thirds of the formation was gone, like because we were on Camp Casey, and then there was another base called Camp Hoby. So we'd run around Camp Casey, then run around Camp Hoby, then run around Camp Casey, and then around Camp Hoby's super small bases. Every time we passed by a battalion area, like formation would just sheathe off, you know what I mean, Like, oh so, but you know I couldn't quit because I had that drive that got me to the range regiment, so that set me up for it. We did a lot at rock marching and stuff, and then but you were stuck there on the base. There wasn't a whole We did a little bit of training, probably trained a little bit more than I did Stateside in the mechanized infantry. But then nine to eleven happened and they like locked the base down. They had us pull in security. We were doing like roving patrols around the base, and you know, everybody was like on you know, super high alert. But the thing that really got me was that here we are now at war, right or like at the very beginning, we thought we were going to war, but they amped up security. Yet I was carrying around at M sixteen with no AMMO in it, literally no or At first they had us with axe.
Speaker 2: Handles, like that, am I gonna do with an ax handle? Man? But they had us with axe handles carrying it around.
Speaker 3: Then they gave us rifles, but like you had to inspect the crap out of them and then you could walk around, but you had no AMMO. Then eventually it finally got to where we get IAMMO. But your magazine, every round was counted and tape was over the top of it, and it was stuffed in the magazine well with tape on the top of it, so if you wanted to shoot anybody, you had to take it out, take the tape off, put it back in, and rack it. So it was frustrating. So it really had like a disdain for the army. I really hated it and I really wanted to get on it. And I noticed it before that we would guard empty concrete pads for like hours while everybody was out, and I'm like, why am I wasting my time doing this? And then nine to eleven kind of perpetuated that. But I was now, we're at war and that's what I joined the military for. So I just looked to reenlist and so I re enlisted for Ranger Battalion and that's.
Speaker 2: Where I went from there.
Speaker 4: And what was it that took you to the Rangers instead of SF like you had planned?
Speaker 3: Well, there was a guy that was in my unit out there actually, And speaking of that, it was one of the things they did in Korea was the Manchu Mile, so they called it. It's like a thirty mile rock march. And I love rock marching so much. So we're like hut like rocking about fifteen miles into this rock march and I'm just like everybody's sucking, but I'm like, dude, I love this stuff.
Speaker 2: And this dude was like, if you love this, you need to be a Ranger.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, I'm thinking about doing Special Forces, but he was like, nah, you want to go to the Ranger regiment. He's like, you go to Ranger regiment, You're gonna kill bad guys. If you want to do this kind of stuff in rock March took.
Speaker 1: You up with all the rock marching you desire, Yeah, all your heart, yeah desire.
Speaker 2: So I said, okay, well I was, so I started asking more questions.
Speaker 3: I didn't know anything about Rangers, and then you know, that's ended up being the route that I went. I went and re enlisted, and I wasn't sure that I was going to go to Ranger Btine because I think they mixed it up with a Ranger school at first.
Speaker 2: But luckily, through the.
Speaker 3: Coaching of that NCO, I was able to make sure that I went to Ranger Batinin and so I went and did that and then almost didn't make it like I was selling out in today. I almost didn't even make it into RIP because you know they do vehicle inspections at the very beginning of RIP. Well, I had a tellight that was out in my vehicle, and I can't remember exactly how it happened, but one of the cadure was like, it's no big deal. You're not going to drive it while you're in RIP, so it's just.
Speaker 2: Going to be parked. You can get it fixed after RIP and I said okay, cool.
Speaker 3: So then I ended up getting questioned by another one of the cadure and I was like, well, the caduret said that I could get it fixed afterwards, and they're like, no, you got to get it fixed right now. He never told you that. I'm like, wait, that's what told me. They're like, well, you're calling Cadre a liar. I was like, I'm just saying that's what he told me. And I'm sorry if I mean, if you think I'm calling.
Speaker 2: Him a liar. They're like, You're dropped from the course, like.
Speaker 3: Right at the beginning, like I'd just gotten smoked up a little bit, boom dropped from the course. Now I was in holdovers. But I literally went like with tears in my eyes. I was like please, and like I beg the cadre. I was like, please give me another shot. I like, I will do anything. I did not mean to say that he was a liar. I was just saying what I heard and I wasn't trying to call him a liar. Maybe there was a misunderstanding or whatever, but I was like, please don't kick me out, And so luckily he had compassion for me and let me start the next rip class.
Speaker 4: So it's it's wild sometimes, like these these edge moments in people's careers, especially military careers. Yeah, that can make or break them depending on how it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, that's totally out of your control. It's totally out of your control. There's a lot of that that happens. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, So what so what was it like for you when you got to battalion? You're what rank were you? I was an E four, so you're an import?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was an import untabbed E four no ranger tab getting there. Luckily, I consider myself squared away. I mean, the guys that knew me may say otherwise. I thought I was squared away, like I had. I pretty much had the the seven dash shape memorized back then. I was in physically, I was in really good shape. I was in way better shape than most of the other privates, so I didn't have that hanging over my head. I was knowledgeable, so I kind of was able to kind of stay under the radar for the most part. But I mean, you know how it is as a private ranger battalion. Yeah, you can't stay under the radar. You're gonna get just destroyed constantly. One of the big things that I remember was we went we had we had done a range. Talking about Joe Capp, he was one of my he was one of my guys in my squad at the time, Like I was a team leader and he was one of my guys I think, I think, or no he was maybe it was one of a sample team. But we went out to a range and it was either him or one other guy. I had inspect my gear. We did a live fire and we had remember we'd had that dude that got shot with a blank adapter on in the shootouse.
Speaker 2: Remember that school, Yeah, and that was a big deal. Four three or four sounds about right. So that was a big deal.
Speaker 3: I was a brand new corporal and that dude got shot with a live round through a blank adapter, And so they were like really being scrutinizing on like Blake's blanks and live ammo ammo shakedowns did.
Speaker 2: So we're at this range.
Speaker 3: I had my dudes, I swear to god, I had my dudes shake me down, like check my stuff, and they checked all my pouches and stuff.
Speaker 2: Go back, throw my my rack into the wall. Loocker.
Speaker 3: And then about a week later, we had a range where it's a machine gun range and I was a brand new RSO, like corporal. So they're like, you're gonna go be the RSO. So I'm like all right, So I go go out there to be the range safety officer and didn't shoot, left my kid in the US the whole time. But then at the end of the range, they're like, everybody, bring your stuff.
Speaker 2: Out and lay it out. And then they were like and I was like, do you want me to grab mine's are' and they're yeah, yeah, grab yours.
Speaker 3: Too, And I'm like, okay, I go to grab it out of the bus, and you know how it is like when you grab it and you're like, wait a minute, what's that feels a little heavy. Yeah, it's a little weird. There's there's a smoke grenade and one of my pouch just a smoke grenade. But I'm like, my heart sank right away, and I'm like, oh my god, I hope I like and I know where that came from. They did, They just didn't check that very backpack was one of those dump pouches, but that zipped up. I was like, oh my god. So I take this thing out there and I lay it out and I'm just like I go over to the platoons and I'm like, hey, sorry, I got bad news for you. I was like, in that pouch, I have a smoke grenade that was left over from another range.
Speaker 2: They just laid into me. Oh that's shit.
Speaker 3: They like started They're like, you go stand over there, do push ups all like I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing push ups and push ups and push ups.
Speaker 3: And then they finished, check everybody else, load everybody on the bus. This is at Red Cloud Range, so not too far from the rest on the street. It was like three miles or so.
Speaker 2: They made me. They took the bus back and they made me imt like, I'm up.
Speaker 3: He sees me, I'm down. I'm up, he sees me, I'm down. All the way back three miles of imts. Dude, this is the beginning of it, right, And meanwhile the bus just left me. They sent a humbie back to like monitor me. I am ting all the way back, so I get back. Then my squad leader says, I want you to go all the way up. He basically briefs me on all this stuff. He's like, you're gonna uh you're gonna understand accountability of your equipment and how important this all is and making sure you've got all your stuff.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, how does this even have anything doing? You have a smoker name. But he made me.
Speaker 3: Imt to the barracks and grab like just like the canteen cup, come all the way back. Then imt all the way back. IMT you know, for the crowd out there is individual movement techniques like I'm up running, Yeah, like you're being shot at. You're taking over the whole way, so you can't just run there and back. So it takes a while. So I go, then I get the canteen, Then I come back, get the canteen cover. Then I go get the alice clips. Until all of my TA fifty, all of my entire issue. This was about eight hours later. Oh my god, all my issue was laid out in formation. So I never ever took that, you know, AMMO shakedowns not serious ever again after that because but yeah, it was embarrassing though as a corporal, you know, brand new NCO.
Speaker 2: So they call it right and then here I am just being just made look made to look like crap in front all the privates.
Speaker 3: It was the most embarrassing moment. Yeah, but it's a lesson that you'll never forget. Yeah, sure, yeah, did they.
Speaker 1: Have when you were the skipping forward a little bit? But when you were the mortar platoon sergeant, did they still have the huge amnesty box? Because one of the guys from mortars brought a like an eighty one millimeter round back from the range. Once they had like an amnesty box, like literally you could open it up and like put things.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that. That'd be a good question for less than dusky. I mean, yeah, I don't. I don't remember that. But uh, dude, those guys are out of control guys.
Speaker 2: There were some good dudes, man.
Speaker 3: I love working with those guys, but dude, as I got to and I don't want to jump out too much, but in the mortple tune.
Speaker 2: The discipline was still strong there.
Speaker 3: Like when I went back to third range of battalion, I mean, discipline was still good in the regimen compared to anywhere else. But those guys really held it to the next level still, And like I had to like kind of like turn a blonde eye because a lot of what they were doing was like not.
Speaker 2: Authorized, but I'm like, I'm good with it. You know, I'm with you the crap out of those dudes. But I'm over here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Years ago, we had uh iaing Karusha Gay and he was describing mortar section. He's like, I think he described this most terrifying place in range for battalion.
Speaker 3: Oh I wouldn't. Yeah, it's it's no joke. And there's some of the smartest guys too. Yeah, yeah, you have to be. You know, these dudes could do a lot of that math in their head and you're talking you're talking trigonometry, dude, and these guys are just like cranking it out on their head. Oh boom boom boom boom, No big deal, it's a I had a under respect for that place until I went there to be the platoon sergeant. I was like, man, these dudes are all geniuses. They just want to do the best that they can. They all wish they were shooters in the line. So one of the big things that I tried to do there was bring in something new for them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, these guys are not being utilized overseas the way they should.
Speaker 2: So I was like, what can we do?
Speaker 3: So thinking about like what I did in RC, So I was like, okay, I send dudes over to RC to do classes on like battlefield interrogation because I'm like, that's cool. It's something a new skill that they didn't get to do, but they could go over there and learn how to battlefield interrogate. So now they are forced multiplier reces. If they're not shooting mortars, they'd be like, hey, I can interrogate, right. Send a bunch of guys to Army Sniper School too. The sniper platoon as you know, Like, I don't know if it was that way when you were there, but definitely when I was a more platoon sergeant, we had our black Side weapons, which were all the weapons that were like it by JAYSK, and then you had the regular Army sniper rifles. Well, nobody ever used the regular Army sniper rifles, but at that time it was actually a pretty good rifles.
Speaker 2: The SAS I think it was the I can't remember what that stands for, but oh you're talking about the Yeah, the five to five six No, not the spr you're talking about spry.
Speaker 3: This was a seven six to two gas gun. It was an AR ten platform that the Army had come up with like the Sky one ten. Yeah, yes, yeah, that's one ten. So they had those, but nobody used them. But it was a solid gun, right, But all the snipers would use the three hundred win bags or they would use the freaking SR twenty five because yeah it was cooler, you know what I mean. But so they didn't use those others. So I got all the sniper rifles assigned to the mornpaltoon. So I had five dudes that went to regular Army sniper school, they were sniper qualified, and then they had their own.
Speaker 2: Signed sniper rifles.
Speaker 3: I tried to send them to cross train lots of different stuff like that so they could be for smalls. We actually sent a couple du just to SODIC too, you know, the special Courses sniper of course too. So because they were just undervalue guys, I mean not that they were undervalued, but you know, they weren't utilized to the best of their ability. I mean they were taking them out, they were taking mortar to a lot of times they weren't even taking the mortar tube.
Speaker 2: So it's like they're just an extra dude sitting on a VP.
Speaker 1: So you justify it though, I mean you need security around the mortar section when they're in the field. Yeah, and you know that's just added value for the soldier and whatever else.
Speaker 2: You know, he brings to.
Speaker 3: The table and you think about on the BPS, they're at a spot where they're going to get some reach anyway, they're going to have some standoff.
Speaker 2: It's a good spot for a sniper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and it adds flexibility to them.
Speaker 1: So, uh, you're a Ranger Battalion misspent youth as a corporal. That was about the time when I met you, actually when you when you came back from Ranger school and then you went on to become a squad leader in second platoon, right, third plato, third platoon.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yeah, so I was a squad leader in third bullatune did a couple of trips to Iraq.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 3: One of the more notable trips was that one to Mosul up there, which you were with us.
Speaker 2: On that one.
Speaker 3: We did a bunch of raids, we stayed hitting I think it was that deck of cards or whatever the bad guys that they had, and we had a really high success rate up there Mosul. I remember I can't remember the exact stats, but I think we had like a ninety something percent success rate. It was at that time that trip our platoons specificularly that task force at least had the highest success rate I think of Iraq at the time. Do you have any recollection of like how many raids we did on that deployment, because I probably a thousand or more. I mean we were doing two to three a day, yeah, every single day, pretty much. Yeah, I mean I remember we had two platoons there, so we had a platoon that would go in daytime hits because it was that busy that we were cranking targets during the day, which was not normal for us, and then crank and targets at night.
Speaker 2: Well, then we went to twenty four hours on and twenty four off. Oh just a ball crusher, Yeah, dude, Yeah, dudes were coming back just getting tanked with ivys like about to pass. We were all so exhausted by the end of that deployment.
Speaker 1: But then you you told the story that you know, well on one of the previous interviews we did. But when we were getting these missions going down into tell Afar a lot and both of our platoons got in the nasty firefights down there every time we did that, and you guys weren't a pretty substantial firefight.
Speaker 2: Down there too. Yeah. We uh. We went to Talifar to hit three different targets. At the time.
Speaker 3: The regular army had this whole city court und off and they weren't really going in there because if they were going in, dudes were getting sniped out of the tankers hatches a tank down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Tanks, and they were getting like they have to pop up out of the tanks so they can see where they're going as they're driving along, you know, because that thing is so big. And the dudes that were popped up the TC were getting smoked by snipers, so they kind of cordoned it off. We were supposed to go in there, smack some targets and loosen it up. So we went in this one target. I ended up like killing I think our snipers shot like two dudes that tried to flee. Not a big deal. Went to the second target. We never even made it to the third target because we went to the second target. It was kind of a narrow street. I remember, I was like we rotated who was like the leads assault squad leader too, and I was kind of pissed because it wasn't my day to be the lead.
Speaker 2: Assault squad leader.
Speaker 3: So I was across the way doing cross coverage and we had two other squads on the other side, and we get ready to breach, and then a kiowa, like a regular army kiowa, flew over top and it kind of woke everybody up. And I remember our platooners specifically briefed them, don't fly any birds over top. We want to keep this super quiet. So that bird flies over the top, the bad guys start waking up. We hear like coms just saying like, hey, there's moving on the roof and stuff like that. Well, our dude is getting ready to donk the door with like the little battering rainow type deal. And as he's getting ready to rear back, the door opens up and this dude's like staring him in his face and he goes compromise, right, So the bad guy slams the door and takes off our dude boots the door in, goes right in. That dude dropped a frag like he shut the door, dropped a frag and ran. So soon as that first assault squad went in, all those dudes took a point blank grenade blast, you know, like all into their legs, you know, and you know, like I like to tell people that don't know because you know, you see the movies like Commando and stuff like that. Dudes are like taking machine gun rounds to the chest and like they just suck that up and keep going. But grenade blasts like turn them into a pink mist. It's just completely opposite. Like bullet like rifle rounds don't mess around like it caused a serious damage. If it hits a bone, you're probably gonna lose that limb. But grenades, I'm not really too scary.
Speaker 2: Grenades. It's just kind of like take it in the backside and you're just they're so.
Speaker 4: Random and how they like how they like damage people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are, I mean there really are. These are also like ancient Russian hand grenades that are not probably the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I wouldn't want to take a sixty seven yeah point blank. You know our frags, Yeah, but the Russian and Chinese ones, I'm not too scared about them. You're right now, if they're right on top of you, you're probably gonna take like like Captain lose end up having to lose a leg.
Speaker 2: But I've been around.
Speaker 3: Countless grenade blasts from like from me to him, and it's just kind of like it's like a beasting act whatever, you know what I mean, barely goes under the skin. But these dudes were pretty much point blank on it. They were all within like a couple feet of it, so it really kind of messed them up pretty good. The second squad that was getting ready to go kind of hesitated for a second, like I think.
Speaker 2: Like what is going on?
Speaker 3: And then I just took my squad and blew past them, went right into the house because you know, I was already chomping at the bit because I love being the first guy in anyway. So I roll in there and it was it was sketchy, man. We didn't know where this was coming from. We didn't know if we were going to take fire right off in there.
Speaker 2: We'd go in.
Speaker 3: There was like two or three or like three or four rooms right away, like a little like a corridor with like a couple of rooms, and then it opened up into a bigger courtyard and went in cleared the first room on the left, cleared, the first room on the right, and there's literally nobody in there. The first room on the left was one of our guys who was in there kind of like laying up against the wall. Blood was streaming out of his arm, and I was like, hey, dude, you're good, and he's like, yeah, man, I'm good. I'm like all right. So we kept going because like my focus wasn't to treat him, it was to keep finding the bad guys. Went into the next room, saw another ranger in there kind of dragging himself back in. He was wounded in his legs, and we told him like, hey, dude, do sulf aide and start patching yourself up.
Speaker 2: Medical being here shortly kept going.
Speaker 3: Went into the next room and I'm like stacked up on the door, getting ready to go in, and then I heard like the sound of like just like in the movie, like clink, like a grenade rolling on the ground, and I like, see this thing roll between like from me to your feet from me. I'm looking at this thing. It was kind of like I had all the time in the world.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm about to be an ugly thing about blow up right in my face, but I just booted it kicked it out of the way and then turned in dove and we had some ranger casualties literally about from like right over here, like five feet away, So I turned and dove towards them. Caught some grenade shopping on the back, but it was pretty minor. Long story short. Went on to continue to clear that place. One of my privates took a shot in the shoulder, almost took his arm off, got shot in the knee with it. I think it was whatever the sub camera with the seven six to two the machine gun RpK RpK, Yeah, got shot by that. I engaged the guys. There was two dudes over there where the machine gun. I engaged them. Me and some other guys did took those guys out. One of my team leaders ended up treating that guy, which I didn't even realize. I was kind of in the lead and received some fire turn return fire suppressed that went to go ahead and clear this next room that we're getting ready to go in, and we were moving, you know, meticulously around. So even though I engaged that threat, I continued focused over here. May not have been the right thing to do at the time, but that's just what we did. Went in that room, cleared it. Nobody was in there.
Speaker 2: Come out, and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, where the heck is my squad? Like it was like five man assault teams is what we were running back then. So I didn't have a lot of dudes, but I was like, man, I'm missing some dudes.
Speaker 2: Well, one was.
Speaker 3: Walking down a stairwell, another one was treating one of the other guys that got shot, and then I had like another two dudes with me. So I'm like, oh man, one of my dudes is messed up. So then we kind of regrouped. We took a bunch more frags. Actually, at that point in time, I went back out and grenades would just started raining down from the roof, Like dudes were on the roof just chucking them, and the grenades kept going off and going off. I took grenades shopping on the hand then or in this wrist. Several other dudes got wounded. So then at that point in time, I pulled back and went outside to try to see what was going on. Like our platoon leader and pl were not even on comms. They were completely pinned down at the time. So I ended up kind of taking charge of that whole situation. I was like, what our vehicles like, outside security was just jacked up. So I went out, reorganized security outside, started bringing our metavac vehicles up because I'm like, I know, we got casualties.
Speaker 2: This dude's jacked up. There's probably even more that I don't know about.
Speaker 3: Brought the metavac vehicles up and then started just consolidating casually as the best possible and trying to like coordinate this firefight. Meanwhile, our j tax were calling in air strikes and doing trying to do little burg gun runs. I don't think they could actually at the time while we were on target. It was just the bad guys were so close in proximity to us that cast was just not usable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So once.
Speaker 3: We pulled off, they pretty much leveled that entire city block. I think like two hundred dudes or something with a yeah AC one thirty eight tens, probably some F sixteen's with some two thousand pounders blowing them up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was telling you before the show your direct leadership one to put you in for a DSc for that, uh, that whole action.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it kind of my understanding was it didn't go through because above our platoon level, it was. They felt that it wouldn't look good if you know, an NCO got a DSc and not an officer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how it works out.
Speaker 5: We need to Hey everybody, if you're hearing this you're not a member of the Team House Patreon, we'd love for you guys to consider subscribing. You get a ad free episodes early and often. You can watch our Team House episodes live too and ask questions to the guests. And you also get our sister podcast, Eyes On also early and ad free completely, and you can ask any of the guys on that show questions as well. And for what it really does is help support the show, helps us keep going. We can do it without the Patreon subscribers. So if you wouldn't mind considering joining us on Patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse, that link is in the description or the show notes down below. Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So talk to us about you know, I know we're retreading some previous ground here, but I mean talk to us about you know, when you decide to go to r RC, like how did that come about?
Speaker 2: Like what when? When did the ID even come to your head? What did you know about them? So, you know, I'd seen the guys around.
Speaker 3: I saw dudes with like hair like literally as long as this, big long beards over there, and I'm just super fit dudes. I mean, like, you know, Rangers are fit dudes. Compared to even other soft units. They are typically pretty fit guys, but it was just a whole other level of fitness man and like more.
Speaker 2: Mature guys, you know, older guys. I'm like, who are these guys?
Speaker 3: I'm like, these dudes c I A, you know what I mean, Like when I was in Ranger time, like these CIA dudes like walking around here.
Speaker 2: I had no clue.
Speaker 3: I went to PODC as an E five and met a guy uh named Kurt Conklin who was at the time. He was in the company, was r D at the time, and went to PLDC with him and uh we we talked about it.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, you're over there, like what do they do?
Speaker 3: And then he yeah, I couldn't tell me a whole lot because they were like super secretive, but it was enough that it kind of intrigued me. So I was like, I kind of want to do that. I was already kind of getting tired of groundhog day and range very time. Yeah, you know, because you get a new private and you kind of got to start back at the basics all over again. Yeah, you got good gear and you got great training opportunities, but you're always having to kind of back it down a little bit and then ramp it back up for the most part. And then so I was kind of tired of that. I wanted something new. I was gonna go to Delta Force Selection or or and now I heard about r D and so I was considering that. Got wounded on that trip in tal Afar. I had to get some surgeries and stuff, and then did another deployment, and then after that I went.
Speaker 2: To be a RIP instructor. It was RIP Cadre. Did that for a while, enjoyed that. Well.
Speaker 3: Then you know, the star major came to me and was like, hey, we need somebody for this Omega program.
Speaker 2: Do you want to go do this omegapro. I was like, I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 3: Sounds good and he was like, yeah, you get to grow your beard out and throw your hair out and stuff and deploy. Yeah, I'm like, sounds good. You know, like because you know, as a line betind Ranger, you're not doing that. You see the snipers get to do it at the batinn recky guys get to do it. But I didn't, you know, I didn't know like occasional guys. So I get to go do that and wear civilian clothes overseas, and I thought that was kind of cool. So I deployed and did that. And when when I went over the first time, I was with my friend Rodney Brown and some of the Seal Team six dudes that he was with there in.
Speaker 2: Gecko.
Speaker 3: But the second time, I did a second trip. And you know, I know, we'll talk probably more about the other other stuff later, but I did a second trip because you're talking about why did I go to r D. So the second Omega trip that I did was in two thousand and eight, and I was at Oregon E and I and the guys I swapped out with there was RC Team three at the time, r D Team three, and I was like, man, this is what you guys do. Like you guys are like, this is what you guys do, and they're like, ah, this job's kind of lame, you know what I mean, Like we're going on to bigger and better things, and I was like, this is lame.
Speaker 2: This is like the coolest deployment ever done.
Speaker 3: And so you guys, this is kind of like to them, it was kind of lane because it was kind of dead at the time, and they were like, yeah, we're doing some other stuff and so they were like, come to selection and I was like, okay. So then I was like, that's what I want to go do. So then I just started training up really running at high altitude up there, trying to get back in good shape.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I mean I was in shape, but I like, you need to be in really good shape for that selection. And then after that went back as a rip cadre and then put in my packet, went to selection, you know. So that's how it started. I bumped into an overseas doing the Omega stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we've talked about selection before with you, but it's it's it's it's a unique selection, like it really really focused on the demands of the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a you have to be physically fit to pass it. It's similar to you know, like Delta force selection. It's it's really based a lot off of that, a lot of walking in the mountains, navigating long distances with a rockszach on. So you're gonna walk, you know, anywhere from i'd say fifteen to eighteen twenty miles a day in the mountains, and then you're just getting assessed the entire time. There's dudes out there paying attention to what you're doing. I don't want to go on too many details because I know they like to try to keep that stuff under wraps. But I think what's the most unique about it is is the OTC pipeline. I think they call it RTC now the Reconnaissance Training Course. But that course, you know, like a lot of the other guys like Delta Force and stuff like that, there are programs about six months long to go through RCAs is like eleven or twelve months long. It's almost a full year. And you walk some distance like we walked forty miles with a tactical recie rock. Like I've walked forty miles with a rock weighing over one hundred pounds before in mountainous terrain just to get to the target like that was just to get to the mission, right. And then the mission goes for like several days and then you walk out right, so right, we did freefall infiltrations. We were big on freefall stuff. That's how I kind of got into the free fall realm.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they didn't. There was no holds barred man a lot of the training that we did.
Speaker 3: I'm like, dude, if somebody knew that they left us out here flapping like it's like somebody'd probably be in trouble because I mean, no joke, Like nobody is like they didn't care. We out in the middle of the desert, twenty miles from anything, with our own supplies and nobody to talk to, you know at times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I can't believe this is allowed in the military.
Speaker 4: It was good stuff though, Yeah, And I mean for people who have not, you know, rucked, you know, maybe you go on hikes. I guess rucking is a new health fab now though. Yeah, rucking. But but anyway, for people who haven't rucked, when Mike says that, like they were rocking miles over a mountainous strain, one mile, two miles over a mountain is not like rocking a mile or two miles, because it may be a miles the crow flies, Oh yeah, bout.
Speaker 1: Four or five miles. Yeah, this is some ultra light bullshit either. Yeah, they got you carrying radios.
Speaker 3: Batteries, battery water. Yeah, I mean, no joke. On one of them, we were out near Arizona. We walked forty miles on infill in that one, and I remember the casuret were like, why are you guys going so slow? And were like, I feel like we're going really fast, you know what I mean. So they're like, hey, meet us at this road intersection. One of the few times that during a movement like that they had actually interacted with So they told us, hey, meet us at this road intersection.
Speaker 2: So we meet them at that road intersection.
Speaker 3: They pull up and they're like, lay your rucksacks out, and they were like, you don't need all that crap.
Speaker 2: Get rid of that, get rid of this.
Speaker 3: So they slimmed our loads down from I think I was the RTL on that one and I met I weighed my ruck it was like one hundred and twenty something pounds, and after that it was down to about one hundred pounds, and some of the guys had a little bit lighter rucks, probably down to ninety or eighty something pounds. But I mean, we just had too much stuff because we didn't want to fail the mission, so we had instead of two extra cable for the cable that we had the primary, we had like two extra cables of this, two extra batteries for every battery, and we were just carrying way too much stuff. So we but we learned, I mean, that's what part of it was about, like learning what your limits were and what you can carry, and then also learning other ways to come up with solutions to these problems. Like, for example, water, we got these little purification little deals that we can carry so we didn't have to carry as much water because water is super heavy.
Speaker 2: It's the heaviest thing. We carried that in food, in batteries.
Speaker 3: But then we got these little straws that we could literally, you know, decontaminate any type of water, and that saved us so we could carry less water weight and then always just refill if we could just find a water source that was key and decontaminate.
Speaker 2: Doesn't necessarily make water taste good.
Speaker 3: Nah, It ca'd still be nasty looking too, right, Yeah, some of those filters later on got a lot better.
Speaker 2: It would make it clear too, yeah. Yeah. Back in the day, they tasted like charcoal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I missed it a little bit. Uh less is like popping off in the chat we love you. But he mentioned something about when you were at a betting having a problem with the woman across from three seven to five something about a dip. Can Did I get that right?
Speaker 2: Least?
Speaker 4: I can't get back to that part of the churin.
Speaker 2: I used to dip, so it probably had something to do with me dipping. I used to dip Copenhagen back in the day, and a lot of people don't think that's the cleanest, you know, habit to have. So I'm sure somebody probably got pissed off of me for a spinner or something. What do you say?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Maybe maybe he'll pop back up with it. Yeah, I just wanted to I saw that earlier.
Speaker 2: In the chat.
Speaker 4: But what what was life like for you going from so you had seen three this is your third aspect of the military. You've been mechanized infantry, conventional infantry, and then you had been a range of battalion and now you're RRD. Did it just feel like life kept getting better or did it open your eyes like different aspects of the military that you know that you didn't know where possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it did open my eyes because you know, like in the regular Army, you're only read on to like this very little bit. You get the Ranger Betien, you're read on to like you know what Delta Force studentes look like, and like you work with them regularly, Seal Team six, all that kind of stuff or see you guys. But then when you get to RC, like you you've already known what all those guys are about, but now you know the background behind how they do what they do because you're helping do what they do, like you're facilitating it with a reconnaissance piece. And then you're read onto so many different other programs because there's all these different skills that we have to have to do our job that most people don't know about, and that stuff that you know shouldn't probably be talked about, but just a lot of the tradecraft and stuff that we learn and I didn't know. I'm like, dang, I get to do this. It was the greatest thing in the world. Like going through OTC, it was the best time ever. Physically demanding and always.
Speaker 2: Under the gun, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You never know if you're gonna get fired at any point in time, or if you're not going to pull the standard because the standard are super high and you're competing against the other guys that are there with you too. But the training was just amazing. I mean it was some of the cool stuff. I got to learn how to pick locks and pick out a handcuffs and like at the at one point in time, I could pick out any set of handcuffs in like a matter of seconds, you know what I mean, like, you know, ten fifteen seconds. We get to do a lot of cool stuff like that, learn how to you know, resist interrogations and all that kind of stuff. The shooting, you know, long range shooting, pistol shooting. I really got into the pistol shooting there too because we did a lot of the low viz constialed carry stuff, so I ends up being a pistol So we did a lot of pistol shooting courses and that became a passion that I really liked, was pistol shooting.
Speaker 2: It's something you got to really work out a lot to get good at.
Speaker 1: Do you want to tell people, maybe for the young rangers out there who still to this day don't know what RRC is, Do you want to make the little recruitment pitch and tell people what RRC is, what those guys.
Speaker 2: Do, or well it's not just rangers anymore.
Speaker 4: So yeah it's open right, yeah you should be rangers.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's it's like one of our old n c ucs said, he said, it's like the best kept secret in the army.
Speaker 2: Really, I think it is.
Speaker 3: The funding is when I was there was so immense because you've got we had like six six man teams at that most, and that was if the teams were full, So you're talking like thirty six operators and we had just the best funding in the world. Anything like any training that we wanted to do, we could do.
Speaker 2: I mean, you name it.
Speaker 3: You think outside the box, you look at on the online to the most craziest course you could be taught by some wazoos civilian over here about this, whatever it is, if you could justify it, which everything really is justifiable for RECKI you know what I mean, especially when the clandestine stuff.
Speaker 2: You submit it, and we could do it.
Speaker 3: I mean literally, I never we never got turned down for anything. It was if it didn't happen, it was because the timing just didn't line up. Right, So there's that aspect to it. But we got to work with a lot of really good people. I mean, some of the best guys I've ever met in the military, some of the smartest guys. I mean, you got really smart dudes in all of soft but that place had some really smart guys that still this day some of the most impressive guys I've ever worked with.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, the.
Speaker 3: Physical fitness aspect of it, you've got to be super fit, and we had some ridiculously fit guys there too.
Speaker 2: But I think it was a great place to work.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if it's changed since I left, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I mean I got to interact with all the different agencies, with all the other like Tier one units that were out there, and it was it was definitely gratifying for sure.
Speaker 4: Did you see a lot of an answer to this to your comfort level? Obviously, but obviously back on the nineties, r RD was you know, like a sort of more like a force recon sort of you know, yeah, yeah, it was a tactical wreki and then all of a sudden, I don't say all of a sudden, but you you guys proved your worst so much that you brought more onto the national stage as a national asst as opposed to a regimental asset.
Speaker 2: Did you see.
Speaker 4: Like the training expanding sort of based on the mission sets and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely did. So we did.
Speaker 3: All the teams were trained in tactical reki, the greenside reki, like you were saying, and we were really good at that, and that was our bread and butter. But then we also trained in like the AFO piece to the CTR type stuff, blending in you know, all the different aspects of trade craft that you can do there too, And that's where a lot of that other training came along, learning how to hack into computers and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Like I suck at technology to this.
Speaker 3: Day, but when I would go through those courses, I was pretty good at the stuff for a little while.
Speaker 2: And then if we used it.
Speaker 3: A lot of stuff we didn't use that often, but it did come in handy, Like we would have to learn how to encrypt stuff because I may have to travel to a certain location with a civilian computer and have to hide stuff on there, and like, obviously I want somebody to be able to look at it real quick and not be able to find what I have, right, So they taught us to do that. But it came in handy really when we were training the ARU, the Afghan Reconnaissance unit that we created in Afghanistan. We taught them a lot of tech trade craft. We taught them a lot of like physical trade craft too, because those dudes were.
Speaker 2: Our proxies, you know, in Afghanistan. They lived in the world.
Speaker 3: These dudes were running like a taxi service or a cell phone shop or whatever, doing what we needed them to do, collecting on how we needed them to collect. But they but they were out there flapping. They weren't attached to a military base. They were all by themselves with no backup. Like if they were on a mission, you know, if it got really bad, we could possibly leverage some assets to come get them. But most of the time, those dudes are just going to be just stuck.
Speaker 1: Like Chuck, I remember you tell me that, Like it was very rare that you would have like physical face to face contact with them because they were just so deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, and it was frowned upon a lot. Although I did it more than a lot of people did, and I.
Speaker 2: Got some heat for that.
Speaker 3: Where I was at up in Condu's, it was pretty conducive for me to drive outside the base and get low viz and link up with these guys. And I can't remember, but for some reason we were collecting a lot of data off the cameras and there's no way to get that except for to physically get the SD card because it was old school, right.
Speaker 2: And the IT networks in Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: It's not five G right, No, yeah, back then it was not even close to anything. So we would what I would do is we and these guys were trained just like tradecraft that you learn at the agency, you know what I mean, Like similar, but we had to kind of wider it down to be within the rigs to.
Speaker 2: Teach that stuff to them.
Speaker 3: But I would have my dudes, you know, they were accurate with time too, So I would say, Hey, I need you to drive by this location at this exact time plus or minus one minute, and I want you to put your SD card wrapped up in a napkin and a water bottle because there's trash water bottles everywhere, I guess, chucking on the ground. And then I would be driving so that my timing was just so that as this dude went down this street, I was literally about a couple hundred meters behind him, or maybe just barely could see him going away.
Speaker 2: So I see him go, I can see him.
Speaker 3: Do the act, the operational act, and then I can come by pick up the trash. So we never face the face contact. But now I have his SD card and I can go back download the video footage off of it.
Speaker 2: For a target that we were we were doing.
Speaker 4: So it's funny, you know, it's funny that you mentioned like they were good with time, because I think for people who didn't have to deal with that aspect of you know, Afghans or Iraqis or whatever, that when you are dealing with like an shah alah, you know the culture, you.
Speaker 2: Know that maybe today, maybe tomorrow, next week. It like time isn't always does matter. It doesn't matter for the most part.
Speaker 4: And and so to find, you know, people in those cultures that can kind of stick to those operational requirements, it's not easy to do.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, it's just not part of their culture. So we had to really assess for that, and we really harped on it. We put them through a selection and an OTC pipe line too, and we harped on that being timely and being reliable and being predictable and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But you're right, I mean we lost a lot.
Speaker 1: Of guys because they just didn't you pull the candidates out of the KKA or the kandat commandos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they Yeah, that's where most of them came up.
Speaker 3: They were either yeah, the KK or the commandos, and so they were already elite trained dudes that were trained by Special Force to shoot, yeah, or or they were trained like the KK trained by Rangers and Sealed Team six dudes and Aultaforce guys. But then yeah, we would select from those dudes and then that was the cream of the crop.
Speaker 2: We would put them through a whole other selection OTC. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other interesting thing about the whole ARU program is that it's not something that most people associate with rangers, Like your dad said, rangers or the brawn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not the guys. This isn't a ranger thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm just curious if you had any sort of insight into like how that program came about, Like whose brainchild was that where the requirement came from. It was very interesting. I mean, obviously you guys did it very well. But yeah, thinking about that, I know, so there were some dudes senior.
Speaker 3: To me and the company that were involved in the setting up and creating of that stuff. So I don't know exactly where the who the brainchild was. It might have come from within the unit. I'm sure there was probably some direction from Jaysuk as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we were good at it. I mean, it's it's not that rocket science, you know what I mean. We just had to teach. You just have to be a good teacher.
Speaker 3: I mean, most guys in you know, a leadership position and the NCO in the military should be a good teacher, you know. Yeah, and that's all it is. You're we were teaching them to do what we do, you know, That's all we did. We taught them to do what we did because in that realm we couldn't actually do that as well, because you just stick out like that's that country. It's like it's like if you take you know, your average never been in the military, New Yorker and drop them in Southeast Alabama where I live, they're gonna stick out like a sort of right, you know what I mean. The way they talk, the way they look the way they walk, and it's even more of a star. Contrast, in Afghanistan, you took a six foot two white American dude and drop them off. Now that the white skin color is not the biggesting because there's a lot of white skin, but like the.
Speaker 2: Way we walk, the way we carry ourselves, the way we talk well.
Speaker 4: And also when you get into like cover for status, cover for action type things, like they because of the culture and because of how they know the culture, like there are things that they can come up with that Americans would never even think of, Like you know, in the sense of a lot of these villages are a lot of these places they were surveilling. We're very small. Everybody knows everybody else. They know you don't belong to the tribe there. And so if they get like pulled over and it's like, what are you guys doing here, and they say, oh, my sister. You know, my sister was supposed to get married and she ran away and we're looking for her, they can play that off. They can play that off, and they know that, and that's a perfectly valid excuse for them to be like trolling these neighborhoods, like exactly Where's where's this wayward sister? We have to a kidnap and take her back to so we could beat her with ye and make her marry this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, you're exactly right.
Speaker 3: And and that's why we had to use those guys as our proxies. We could do certain things, but for the most part, we used them and we just trained them and use them, you know, And we would sometimes tag along with them on certain things. We'd go out and we would be out, like a lot of times. We would also task them with training missions because you know, the missions weren't always as busy for them as we would necessarily want it to be sometimes, so to keep them from being lazy, because you know, a lot of them just happened to just kind of default into doing whatever they're doing, and they just kind of forget about the military, especially when they're living out there like that. So we would bring them in and task them with training targets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I would have them reky something and I'd be out in town doing counter surveillance on them, just to see if they were actually trying to be sneaky or if they're just like, hey, what's up right? Standing on the street, take a picture, thinking they can get away with it.
Speaker 4: You know, now, how tough was it for you guys providing bona fides for these guys when it was their intel that might be launching a raid, putting American lives at risk, you know, like like validating their intel to the battlespace commander or you know whomever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Typically their intel was just confirmation.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there was already something else like singing or whatever that we would have, but then we may just need to develop this target a little bit more. So our guys their intel a lot of times just confirmation. Sometimes they would just build power in a life. So we knew that there was a dude in and around this area, then they would just refine the powern of life.
Speaker 2: Or do it doing the close end wreki that you wouldn't send an American to do. I take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, like getting facial recognition photos of this dude at this house. Yeah, I mean, so we have this blorry crappy picture that you know is on your little cards that you got, and we're like, is that really him?
Speaker 2: And then we send the dudes out to mingle around and they get a no joke picture.
Speaker 3: Now we can update that picture, like, yeah, that was him, but here's a better picture. Yeah, you know, so stuff like that. Yeah, whatever the task force needed, that's what we tried to provide.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and how was it?
Speaker 2: It could? You know?
Speaker 4: One of the things that was always challenging in those countries was like teaching people how to read maps, teach them how to look at look at imagery and understand it from a top down perspective because they just don't have that perspective.
Speaker 2: How how challenging was that for you guys.
Speaker 3: That that definitely was challenging at times. But you know, our guys, we we we just it was part of the training pipeline and they just picked it up after a while, and a lot of these guys just got better as time went. So they would graduate at a certain standard which would be good enough, but a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Would speak a little bit of English.
Speaker 3: But then after like years of that program running, some of these guys were sending me PowerPoint. I mean, they could do PowerPoint by the end of their OTC, but after like a couple of years, these dudes were sending me PowerPoint in English.
Speaker 2: So I mean it was impressive.
Speaker 3: I mean some of the guys really wanted to do good and they tried to impress up press us and it was impressive. They were doing that stuff in English. They were encrypting stuff and send it to us encrypted because everything that we did with them was.
Speaker 2: Not associated with the military.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I mean even the computers that we communicated with them on were not associated to the military. So we didn't want it to any way tie these guys to us if for some reason they got busted, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Yeah, how was that for you and for the other guys in our city?
Speaker 2: Because you obviously you have this job.
Speaker 4: You're in a way action heroes, right, Like, you've been through all this training, You're out there to be on the pointy edge, and now you're working through proxies.
Speaker 2: Was it frustrating? Was it gratifying? It was I'd say a little bit of both. Some guys hated it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there were guys that hated it, but I think you just have to look at what you're doing and just you know, find the good.
Speaker 2: Part of it.
Speaker 3: I actually thought I was gonna hate it, but I really enjoyed it. Yeah, I really did enjoy it, because I mean, we still got to do cool stuff, man, we still got to go.
Speaker 2: It was like the best of both worlds.
Speaker 3: When I was up in Condi's the last time we had a Delta Force troop there hitting targets every night and arrangeable too, and they're hitting targets every night. So during the daytime, I was going out loviz, linking up with my dudes, doing dead drops and stuff like that, or maybe going and picking them up, bringing them back, debriefing them or whatever. Or maybe I would be going out with some dudes wreckying routes during the daytime, like we would wrecky some of our own routes in and off of the plateau there, excuse me. But then at night I was going out kicking indoors with the Rangers or the Deltafest dudes every single night. So I got the best of both worlds. I thought it was great. Yeah, I get to do a lot of this cool stuff that's lo viz, you know, clandestine stuff, and then at night I'm going out and doing what Rangers and Delta Force dudes do, you know, kicking indoors and killing bad guys just as much as they.
Speaker 2: Were, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I enjoyed it, but it was so that dynamic was unique not just for me, but I coming from Third Ranger Battalion, I had rapport with Rangers and with Delta Fores s dudes. There were dudes that had come from the big Army to RC that didn't know these dudes, so they wouldn't get they didn't get to go out on missions with them, right, So they were just stuck doing the low viz stuff. When they did it, and depending on where they were at, it may have been less eventful even And so a lot of those guys, I think that's why they didn't like it, because they didn't get the best of both worlds.
Speaker 2: Where it's like me, I knew dudes in the battalions. I new dudes at Deltamores because I've been working with my whole career.
Speaker 3: So I'd just be like, hey, you guys need anybody actually, yeah, sure, we need an extra sniper, we need an extra battlefield interrogator. And so I'd go out and do that a lot of bit TQ is what I did. I thought that was where I was most valuable. They got all the shooters they need. They don't even know the shooter, right, but they're squad leaders of tarrogating dudes who are here. I'm a master sergeant, you know, I've got more experience doing it leaves him to doing his squad leader stuff.
Speaker 2: So I did a lot of that stuff. Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: I mean it's also like the total integration of the intelligence piece into the ops.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah. Yeah, and that's kind of the way I looked at it.
Speaker 3: And I had my interpreter teaching me Dary so by I did like I think, three trips to Kandu's, and by like the third trip to Kandu's, I was able to do battlefield interrogation without an in Dari.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, now it was mission specific stuff, like I knew pretty much anything they had to do with bombs, explosives, guns, Who this guy is, where are the mosques?
Speaker 2: Where are the schools? You know?
Speaker 3: How many people are here? North, south, east, west? Like what kind of vegetables?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Like I knew I had a good grasp with the language by no means fluent, but target related I could do. And I could also talk my way through checkpoints and stuff like that too.
Speaker 2: I learned that much.
Speaker 3: So, like you said, you went and became did language stuff. Yeah, I never was interested in it until I got to RRC, and I was like, this is beneficial, Like if I can prove to the chain of command that I can speak good enough to do this, maybe they'll let me go do more. Right, because there were things that we wanted to do as Americans out that I felt confident doing, but the chain of command didn't see it that way. So, you know, being able to speak the language and stuff like that adds another layer to where they would probably accept it.
Speaker 4: And it goes beyond the piece of like I speak five five six and seven six two.
Speaker 2: You know, like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it opens up a whole new world of interaction with the local populace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, especially when when the raids.
Speaker 4: You know, the intelligence isn't always accurate, like you need to find out what's going on target or like you said, like all the operations that you guys do a lot of those ops come from resets.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: You do your OT Yeah, your battlefield interrogators you know, and your exploitation guys get information and it's like, okay, let's go hit this target now, so that these guys don't go to ground when they find out they rolled up this guy.
Speaker 3: Yep, Yeah, a lot of our missions were like that. I mean, not so much like our cee. We were always playing a piece in that, but in the line range of times, dude, it was like boom boom, boom, boom boom, Like you said, probably a thousand missions on that one the climate like three months because we're back to back to back. They could never react because we're slamming them.
Speaker 4: Right, And a lot of those a lot of those raids are sort of self propagating, where one raid leads to another one based on the intel you got off that initial rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We would hit targets in Iraq back in the day, and literally the pl would be with this little laptop like this on the back of the striker, planning out the grids for the next target because we took intel from that target to go hit the very next target.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally planning them on the fly. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And well, I mean that led to the whole debate to operations drive intelligence or does intelligence drive operations? But what you're talking about with the ARU program, that's definitely intelligence driving operations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was a good program, you know.
Speaker 3: One of the things, you know, we were talked about it beforehand and that's where I met Well, I met Adam from having done the podcast. He reached out to me before and then he and his good buddy Brian Fitzgibbons came in with me to Project Exodus Relief, which is a nonprofit that I created myself. Rodney Brown, one of my Seal buddies that I was tied in with a lot of us, got asked to like try to help people with Afghanistan, and I was like, I'll help wherever I can. But then come to find out there was you know a lot of these dudes were reaching out to me, like people were giving these guys my number and actually a nut your podcast set all this stuff up.
Speaker 2: There was like a gamhouse bump it did. It really did.
Speaker 3: Like the thing like what I do now all really came from the team House because I did the Teamhouse. A dude from Alabama saw me on the Teamhouse and he reached out to me because I gave my email up that time and he was like, hey, brother, I know you don't know me from Jack, but he's like, I was in the Army, did this, that and the other. He's like I worked with some of the ARU guys. He worked with him as a contractor when he was working as a civilian. After he got out, he was like, not Blackwater, but one of those other contract companies. And he's like, these dudes are asking me to help him in Afghanistan and I have no clue what to do.
Speaker 2: So he reached out to me. That's how I got involved.
Speaker 3: Brought this ad hoc group of guys that we were just communicating with on signal chats, you know, like talking about like Sharon Intel, like where the Taliban are looking for these guys and stuff like that. And then all of a sudden, I'm like, dude, we need these groups talking together. This this is we're military dudes. This needs to be a military cohesive unit. So I started reaching out to Task Force Pineapple with Scott Man super good dude. Yeah, I love Scott reached out to some of his guys. I didn't know him at first, but I was reaching out into his organization, trying to like, hey, who's the leader, Let's let's sync this thing up. Reaching out to Task Force Argo flanders Fields is another group, Task Force Freedom Birds, like, there's tons of other groups out there, and I was reaching out to him. I was like, let's put this together, and nobody seemed to want to like really work together at first. So then I just brought all these guys together that I had We called a project Exodus Relief, and then, like I said, I met Adam, Adam was on the podcast, reached out to me. He ended up coming on board with us helping out. He brought on his best buddy, Brian Fitzgibbons, who's an amazing dude. I work with him now with USPA Nation Wided Toecurity and you know, we can get into that stuff later, but that's you know, it all came about trying to advocate for these guys, these Afghan Special Ops guys that we trained, some of the best out of the Afghans, the most loyal guys out there, and nobody was advocating for them, Nobody cared about them.
Speaker 2: These guys are just left flapping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could you give us a little update on where that project is now? You know, after the Afghan the evacuation as it were, and all these guys that got left behind, and I mean we've We've had Scott Man on the show to talk about it. I'd be interested to hear your perspective of like where that Mick, and I'd be interested to hear like your perspective of like where that effort is at today.
Speaker 2: It's really stagnated.
Speaker 3: We we you know, I've talked to politicians all over the place. I've I spoke at the AI World Forum on the Afghan panel, myself and Mike Waltz, the Republicans politicians from Florida, Me and him and uh, what's his name is? I think y'all might have had him on here too, But anyway, we spoke on that panel, and there's a lot of people that seem to be concerned about it, but nothing ever happens, right, you know a lot of these politicians were like, hey, yeah, yeah, man, we got your back, you know, you know, Democrat and Republican would act like they wanted to help, but nothing ever really happened. We have guys that, you know, legitimately legit creds have been verified by the Ranger Regiment worked for the program that we've literally taken their documents, handed it to the House of Representatives and like, can you help us get this guy's SIV approved.
Speaker 2: Never happens, man, It just literally never happens.
Speaker 3: So where we're at with Project Exodus is we've been we raised some money through some of the public speaking events that I've gone to and some other things that we've run, and we've been we've successfully through through my one of my guys, Dean, who's run our ground operations program super great Dude, former Ranger, former one some five dude Delta for Scott. He runs our ground operations stuff and he's been running a food network where we've been feeding two thousand ARU dudes in their families.
Speaker 2: So there's not that many ARU dudes, but.
Speaker 3: There's probably I don't know, probably still alive one hundred ar you guys, maybe less out there, but a lot of these guys are the basically the secret Service of Afghanistan that my guy Dean trained his guys and we've been feeding them in their families for the last two and a half years. I got like about two years now, but we just pretty much ran out of money this month.
Speaker 4: So wait, is there is there some places people can go to donate money for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if if they want to go to blog dot pro Exodus Relief dot com, they can go there and check out our website. There's also links to donate at the website too, So if people want to do that. It's it's it's a good cause man, Like right now, I still advocate for these guys.
Speaker 2: I've been talking to lawyers.
Speaker 3: There have been some guys who've trickled their way into the United States through our help, Like we've tried to avocate for them, but we didn't specifically get them here. But I've written letters of recommendation for some of these guys and it's come back to me through Like I've got a lawyer that reached out to me that's helping advocate for one of our guys, helping him get his like SIV.
Speaker 2: And so it's been good.
Speaker 4: Have they have a lot of these guys managed to get out of Afghanistan and now are in like refugee camps in other countries or they still stuck in Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Most are still stuff stuck in Afghanistan. There's there's been a handful of that a flee to Iran. There's some that have. I've had one of my guys go through Iran all the way to Iraq, then he went back and I was back in Afghanistan. Just they can't find employment like Afghans. I didn't realize that in Iran they're looked down upon and they won't employ them there. So these guys are in Iran hanging out and couldn't get a decent job. Or I had one guy that was in with a Christian group that was trying to get him in. Sad story, but he was in with a so Christian group that was trying to move him through into Iraq and the Turkey and stuff like that, and he was end and up like he was.
Speaker 2: Trafficked, man, Like people were trafficking. This Christian group is trafficking human beings and guns and narcotics. Yeah, so they're they're Yeah, it's kind of a lot of corruption out there, man, A lot of these groups that you think are gonna be good and helpful, Like this guy.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't know this group. Yeah, I don't want to have anything to do with it. I said, if you, I said, you're the grown man, man, you run your household. I can't personally help you. So I said, if you trust these people, I support you all the way and I'll help you however I can. And the dude ended up getting all of his documents taken. He's trying to get him back. Yeah, some of these guys ended up getting beat up and robbed and mugged by these people. But yeah, Christian groups out there like mugging people, trafficking drugs, trafficking narcotics, all in the underground.
Speaker 2: Man, it's all over the place out there. Yeah, it's groups that you think would help. It's so sad.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, like immigration is is you know, a heated top of the United States, you know, and people take very firm sides, but it's but it's wild that it was the same thing in Vietnam, where it was the effort of like the Special Forces guys and what tell the Mons Yards they help, the Monton Yards and the Mong and everybody who worked with us, and and and now we can even help these people who you know, who worked very hard, who shed you know, blood, sweat and tears alongside of us.
Speaker 3: It's because our government literally doesn't want it to happen. You know, I don't know why exactly, but I don't know if Scott men said the same thing. But that's our biggest hurdles that we've run into, is our government. Nobody everybody they'll say they want to help, but nobody does anything. Literally, whether it's at the highest level. I don't know where it is, but nobody can make anything happen. I mean, there's all these bills. They try to push these bills up, the Afghan Adjustment Act and stuff like that, and I don't even really follow that stuff that much anymore because it's just frustrating. Yeah, like I said, we just have been focusing on using our funds to the best that we can. We can't move people anymore, so we've been using it to feed people. You know, the ones that are stuck hiding from the Taliban er they don't feel safe, they can get out and work, I can't get a meaningful job.
Speaker 2: We've been feeding them, you know, supplemental food.
Speaker 3: We try to let them be like really needy before they come to us so that we use the funds and the best manner possible.
Speaker 2: We don't want to just be like making these people rich, you know what I mean, right, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we feed the average family about once every three months.
Speaker 2: They'll come back to us for some supplemental food. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you could just go and get them to chili, then they can get in no problem.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, it's crazy. The southern borders wide slap open. We got terrorists. We had Isis, we got Palestinians coming through the southern border like crazy, both our Afghans. We actually had some Afghans that figured their way on their own. You get to Brazil came up through it, and that's another interesting thing. Afghans special ops guys caught at the border are reported never to return again.
Speaker 2: Jesus, yeah, they are.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's been multiple guys that it's been in the news. We've like, I helped advocate for some of these guys. One of them was a commando guy. I'm trying to think. I think Flanders Fields was helping that guy and he got hung at the border. I called some border patrol guys that I knew that tried to help him out. And one of my border patrol buddies told me straight up, he's like, if I even look into this, dude, it's gonna spike on the radar. And I was like, really, He's like, any Afghan special ops guy that comes through the border is immediately deported, never.
Speaker 2: To return again. I'm like, but we're letting everybody else through the border. It makes no sense. Man.
Speaker 3: It's been a frustrating battle, but it has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever done in my life, yet also the most rewarded, you know, I mean, because we're helping people out, really helping people out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I was really.
Speaker 4: Very disappointed, like in the American population left, right whatever, when you know, when we were getting all these you know, uh and these Afghans in Bere, like, well, we don't even know who they are. And it's like a lot of research has been done into you know, like the Afghans who are being brought in, like people are voluting for them.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they were our guys, like we have their biometrics exactly.
Speaker 2: Yea, you know, they're they're a known entity, you know what I mean, very well man, Like a lot of these guys had Polly's and tons of background checks essentially some type of security class you know, not really but kind of. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And a lot of them have fought and died next to Americans.
Speaker 2: And they still remain loyal to this day. Yeah, you know. Yeah, sad. It's very sad. It's up, is what it is. Yeah, yeah, it really is. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It really contributes to and and you know we've talked about this before on the show. Is the moral injury that it creates in the sense of, you know, veterans who who because not all veterans were very involved with Afghans or Iraqis, you know they you know, but others were, and there's that moral injury that happens that you know that we just leave these people that we know, we've kind of left them to the wolves.
Speaker 2: Basically.
Speaker 3: Well, there's an organization that like I was kind of the beginnings of helping stand that thing up to along with another guy named Travis Peterson, called the Moral Compass Federation, And that's where we kind of finally got all these groups together with Tasor's Pineapple, Scott Man and those guys and started working as a group of advocacy. And that group is still doing a lot of good stuff, advocating on the hill and stuff like that. Progress is still, like I said, non existent pretty much, but there, Yeah, that came up big time. A lot of guys there were having really big issues because when it was in the heyday, like the first six months after the collapse of Afghanistan, like I personally was working eighteen hours a day, I was on my phone eighteen hours a day, texting, coordinating logistics, making phone calls on meetings vtc's. I mean it was like running. It was like being the battalion commander of a battalion sized element. Like we had a fifty man intel sell at one point in time that dudes were pumping me intel. Like it got to the point where I had to have like dudes that just handled the intel because I couldn't handle it all. We had dudes that were just handling the ground, the ground stuff. We had dudes that were just handling air operations, trying to get guys manifested. But after that all fizzled out. It got to the point where like the onset finally kicked in with like, hey, these dudes are screwed man, yeah, and we can't and we're just watching them get killed by the Taliban and.
Speaker 2: There's nothing we can do.
Speaker 3: So the moral injury thing became a real thing at that point in time, and it's really bothering a lot of those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and especially you know, depending on whether it's this government for us or the next any government you know, after this withdrawal, how they deal with the Taliban government is just sort of salt.
Speaker 2: In the wound.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Yeah, And you know, there's there. There were entities from our government liaising with the Taliban this entire time. One of the things that I found out, too, is that the US State Department was flying one hundred Taliban out on US State Department funded aircraft, yet we couldn't get our Afghans on there.
Speaker 2: Taliban, dude, they were flying them out on US State Department aircraft like crazy. And this was around about like what the year what was the fall? Was it twenty twenty or twenty twenty one? I get it all mixed up now.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty one, So it was like around December twenty twenty one January twenty twenty one when this was happening. I think I went on news Max or somewhere talking about that, and it was reported all over the place, but like nothing ever happened, Like why are we flying Taliban? Oh, we're It was one of the things that they said, we're flying the Taliban out so that they'll let us fly aircraft in and out, like really one hundred a week to the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, man, what's up of that?
Speaker 3: So, and it's frustrating when you got these Afghan special ops guys that should be able to get on those planes in but they don't have the right credentials, they don't have an SIV completed, they can't fly. But a Taliban dud that has nothing can fly here coming right. It's a kick to the you know what I mean. Yeah, so that adds that moral injury. A lot of guys just like just like me, saw this happening, and we're like, how is this even possible?
Speaker 2: You know, it's frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But the way I can look back on it is that we did the best that we could, right, and we're.
Speaker 2: Still trying to do the best that we can for these guys, and we're feed them. You know, we're there.
Speaker 3: There have been guys who their lives have been made better because of the efforts that we've all done collectively, not just me, these guys helping out to the other guys, the Moral Compass Federation and groups like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how are like, are a lot of those A lot of those dudes, like for the Aru, aren't like are they in hiding basically in Afghanistan?
Speaker 2: Are they?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Do the Talban know who they are? They targeting them their families?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I Well, to take it back, I believe it was worse than we I believe we thought it was worse than it actually was. Okay, So in the beginning we.
Speaker 3: Were like, oh, man, they were killing some dudes, but they they were beating a lot of dudes.
Speaker 2: And actually one of my.
Speaker 3: Guys I had an after, one of my ARU dudes that had a source within the Taliban leadership and due to the safe ouls that he was in, so I found out that I was able to get a lot of guys released.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of guys released.
Speaker 3: I'd call my guy, I'm like, hey, can you check with with the general that's what we called the guy, and like, can you check with the general and see if they have this guy in custody. If so, he's one of our guys, Man can have them released every single time.
Speaker 2: They release him.
Speaker 3: So the Taliban would actually release guys through my proxy, Like my source had that much influence with them and this so I found out.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was as bad as we thought.
Speaker 3: I don't know why they were detaining these guys, roughing them up, making it look rough, but I don't think they.
Speaker 2: Were killing them in the numbers that we thought they were at first.
Speaker 3: I don't know why it seemed like it was a fear campaign to make them scared, to make them hide at first, But now a lot of them have kind of kind of let up, you know, they're kind of.
Speaker 2: Going out and doing their normal stuff into society. Now are we Are we worried?
Speaker 4: Has there been in the indication of the Taliban basically recruiting these guys in the sense of obviously these guys fought against the Taliban and they're not for the Taliban, but also human nature is just to make life easier for you.
Speaker 2: And your family.
Speaker 4: So now we have not just the Aru, but you know, we have you know, the conduct we have cptt ccpts, we have, we have all these forces that were trained and I think a lot of the CTPT got out, but we have these forces that have been trained by American Special Operations.
Speaker 2: We didn't do right by them? Or are we?
Speaker 4: Are we concerned? Has there been any concern.
Speaker 2: That they're going to the other side?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there has been concern and there has been some of that happening, not not so much with the AARU. I haven't heard of any Aru doing that. I'm sure there probably have been, but not that I've heard of. And the more smaller, more elite units, not so much have heard of like rare occurrences of like Commando's doing that, And I think it was more of like other different forces out there that we're doing, but it has happened. But a lot of them, a lot of the KKA actually joined the National Resistance Front with was Akman Masud uh leading that effort? Am I mixing him up with his father? I can't remember Akaman Masud. I think it's Okama Masud the son that's leading the national results.
Speaker 2: I can't remember which is the son and the father. Baby, Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Yeah, I don't know why. I'm having a brain fun at the time. But our guy, A lot of the KKA guys were linking up with those guys and they were taking it to the Taliban at first, like they were literally they almost pushed the Taliban. The Taliban were pushing up in the the.
Speaker 3: Uh Ha, the pan Shure up in that area, and these guys were pushing them all the way back, had pushed them all the way back almost to Cobble. Then Pakistan sent over some drones and did drone strikes on them. Yeah, and killed a bunch of them. And kind of thwarted that whole thing and stifled it. But they were, they were this close to taking taking couple back. We were cheering them on. We're like, yes, yes, let's do this. And then Pakistan sent over some some aircraft and some drones.
Speaker 2: And did strikes them and pushed them all back, kind of killed that whole effort.
Speaker 4: It's so weird to me because it never goes well for Pakistan when they like, like they've always supported the Taliban and AQ and whatnot, but it doesn't go well for them. I think that they just want the problem to be in Afghanistan and.
Speaker 2: Now they got to live with their creation. Yeah yeah, right next door. Yeah yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of these guys, like I said, they went to the good what I considered the good side, but they've kind of I don't that effort's kind of stifled now too, but they're there. Definitely have been something that's gone to the bad side, confirmed that I know of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not as big as you not as much as you would.
Speaker 4: Think, right, And and I imagine for a lot of them, it's not that they're going to the the only thing they got, Yeah, it's not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's literally survival mechanism for them. I mean, and I don't blame on one bit. It's just like when when Russia started recruiting them for for it's the name of that group, uh, the Russian contractor Wagner, Yeah, Warner group or Yeah, they were recruiting those guys, and I was like, Hey, I don't blame them. You know, if if you're getting out of here, you know, and they're gonna put you up and give you nice accommodations and treat you like one of their civilians, you know, I don't blame them.
Speaker 2: It's not what I would do. But it's not that I would blame we.
Speaker 3: Actually we had huge efforts to try to get them to Ukraine too, Like with this whole event going on in Ukraine, like, hey, these dudes right here will come fight with you. Just hit them out. Yeah, nobody, nobody would touch it. Nobody would touch it with a ten foot pole. Like I talked to people in Parliament and Ukraine. I've talked to people here in the United States advocating for it.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, the dynamic this thing is.
Speaker 3: I'll turn I actually met with a donor and another interesting thing tying to the Wagner Group was there was this donor that we were told about that that he had helicopters fixed wing. He was moving dudes currently out of Afghanistan. We're like, dang, this is like the golden ticket. Like if we can convince him that Project Exodus has the capabilities that we have and we have the quality of dudes that he wants, maybe he'll get him out. Because we didn't know why he was trying to help at the time, we were like, we set up a meeting. So we set up a meeting with this dude, and you know, just like a Google meet. He comes on, his chief of staff comes on. Mind you, this dude's a billionaire. He's a mega billionaire. I can't remember his name, like Garrity or something like that was his last name. This guy supposed we spoke at Sea Pack. He's like big tight end on the conservative political side. Well, he he came on.
Speaker 2: To our meeting. We were talking about different things.
Speaker 3: We're briefing on all operations we had going on the food program and this stuff, this, that and the other. One of my guys was like, hey, we to caution our guys to stay away from Wagner Group and we just need to make sure that they're not doing that because it's just going to look bad in the as the United States, so we can't support it. Then boom, this dude and his chief of staff popped off the call. We're like, what the heck, man, this dude just ditched the car. We're like maybe they lost connection. So we're like texting on the background, like, Hey, what happened? What did the guy drop off? Come to find out, the DUDEHS are a recruiter for Wagner Group. The US dude tied into what states? Yeah, I have pushed the dude as a ghost on the internet though literally he's a ghost on the Internet. I've pushed everything I can to other people. I'm like, dig into this dude. This is an American citizen. I passed it to the agency. I passed the FBI, and they're like, we can't do anything. He's an American citizen. I'm like, he's an American citizen, but he's also got British citizenship as well, and he's super wealthy, and he's tied into the political sphere here in the United States. But he was recruiting for Wagner Group. That's who he's moving people for too, he admitted he told that to our people who got this guy on the call. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: So we're like, what kind of tail spin is this going to take next?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean I can see the CIA saying we can't like he's an American cityst and what the FBI like, I'm pretty sure the FBI can process. That's their yeah, think, yeah, that's their perview. Yeah, but well Treasury too, right if you're breaking uh finance laws, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I really would like to find out what the truth is behind that guy. Like I said, all I know is what I was told. I was told that he's he spoke at c PACK. Somebody sent me like a Twitter clip of him speaking there, uh tied in with a lot of big conservative politicians.
Speaker 2: And I was like, huh interesting, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my thought when a lot of that stuff was going down and what I thought the missed opportunity was. And it's not my job, but my thought is like, we have all these guys we trained up in the KKA, the a r U, the CTPTS, why are we not evacuating them to a third country, not America, but a third country. That did happen, But I mean, why isn't the agents moving them to a third country and you have an element that you can use for completely deniable operations.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, dude. I've been trying to pitch.
Speaker 3: That to the agency for the last year and a half, Like I've literally have a guy that I've been talking to and I'm like, hey, this is the capabilities we can bring. We actually had like a covert medical program we were going to use. We had everything, we just needed a little bit more funding. I was like, you guys, fund it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You have an ambulance company in Kabul, Afghanistan that has access everywhere. We were going to build false bottoms in these vehicles so we could transport people and supplies. We were literally trying to build packages to sell to them, Like hey, here's a capability.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants it. Yeah, I yah.
Speaker 1: You'd have a group of Afghans who are well versed in putting, you know, a suppress twenty two to the back of somebody's head. Sounds like maybe something somebody could use. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, I don't. I don't you would think.
Speaker 2: That the agency will touch like medical stuff. Well that was just one aspect to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we were trying to think of ways to have better the ability. So one of the things that was people were having issues with moving people around. We're like, we'll create a medical company because there are medical issues that are poppling up right right right, So we were going to treat it was gonna be a real medical agency or ambulance company for the la lack of a better term, but we were going to also be able to use it to smuggle people and or supplies under the nose of the talent as a you know, ambulance we had. I mean, we got a pretty good intel network still over there. We've kind of kind of let it go because we it's no no need to pimp these guys for information all the time, and we can't give them anything in return.
Speaker 2: I can't get you out, man, right right.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about the further adventures of Mike Edwards. Uh, your life after service after all this stuff, going to work with us p A and others.
Speaker 2: I know you have some interesting stories there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I said, the whole it stemmed from your podcast, you know, people reaching out. We started Project Exodus, I met Adam and uh then Brian Gibbons, and then you know, I did some work with those guys. Well, then I ended up I had a job that I had as a government contractor for a while, ended up losing that job, do various things, and then I saw his jobless for about a year. USPA Brian hit me up. Brian Fitzgibbons hit me up and he said, hey, would you like to work with us for this contract? And this was last December, and I said, yeah, sure, it's like we're going down to Miami. I'll bring you down there. It's just like an executive protection gig. Didn't really know what it was about him, like, yeah, sure. He bought me a plane ticket. I was on a plane, flew down there and ended up me and Rodney Brown, one of my seal buddies who was with Project Excess. They contracted him too. Adam was there running the static security. So we had like tons of like fifty guards guarding this art exhibit for Madonna. It was at like Eve Saint Laurent is what it was called. So Madonna had this sex art show that she had of like pictures of herself naked all over the place inside there. Yeah, and all these celebrities, like a list celebrities.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the names of any of them. You know, Adam were better than me.
Speaker 3: But Madonna was the key want the head won, right, So she did that and then had like a big after party. So me and Ridney Brown were her personal bodyguards for that event. So it's kind of interesting. Yeah, we were the muscle really just blocking her from the paparazzi. But we did that manage the security event for that we do for the most part, we do nationwide, even international armed executive protection security, bodyguard work and firewatch. Firewatch is a big thing that we do where for example, if you're building is under construction, they may have to shut down the fire sprinkler systems and you don't want to shut the business down. So by law most places you have to have basically like boot camp firewatch guy in there paid and so we do that a lot. We provide that service all over the country. But the key thing with that is, uh, fifty percent of all the earnings from USPA goes into the Kingsman program. The Kingsman is the nonprofit arm of USPA. Mike Evans, the owner of the company, Such a nice guy, such a big hearted guy and and Dan Manning the CEO like they you know, will accept these different missing persons cases or traffic children or for example, battered women cases will come in and that's part of one of the things I'm paid to do to his advice on that stuff. So we'll we'll get cases like there there was a girl, Ashland gill Up in Massachusetts, wasn't Massachusetts that went uh, went missing in the cops we're looking for for like thirty something days.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: We got on the case and found her within three days and had her back to her family.
Speaker 2: Wow. Uh. There was another one.
Speaker 3: I won't say the name, but it was an adult girl down in Florida who was tied in with a basically international convent, the stude Ha con Any women like good looking younger girls.
Speaker 2: He was probably like about my age.
Speaker 3: And then he was getting not as handsome, yeah, definitely not as handsome, and getting these younger twenty something to thirty year old girls to spend all their money, literally millions of dollars he sucked out of these girls just traveling around. And I reached out some of my network that came from the Project Exodus stuff, some of that stuff that I was tied in there was able to bring in a guy that can dig on people's phones and basically sigate type stuff and find where these people are at. So we used him to find where these people are at and ended up handing off the locations to the FBI and to the sheriff detective down in Florida who actually was in third range of re time with us in the same platoon actually for a little bit. So it was interesting bumping into that guy. But we helped federal law enforcement and local law enforcement apprehend this basically, like I said, international command and freed this girl up so that she'd go back to her family.
Speaker 2: She was willingly with him. I only asked us to help her, but we couldn't force her to leave. She's like, it's more like a deprogramming in a.
Speaker 3: Way, right, Yeah, And that's what we're going to try to do, is kind of call her out, deprogram hers our ability. Yeah, but what we figured out the most viable route was to just help the cops detain him. Now he's out of the picture and she's free, right, So that's what happened. Yeah, Well, we do a lot of that stuff. Man cases that pop up. We try to help people as much as possible. Like I said the Kingsman, fifty percent of our earnings goes to that, to funding these different programs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and those programs are expensive. I mean with the surveillance, the tech, you know, if it's like recovery, uh you know, you know, and I don't know if you guys, because you said internationally, right or.
Speaker 3: Well, most of the recovery stuff we do here in the States. Yeah, we could. We have done some internationally as well, but most of us here in the States. But international is like the security stuff, executive protection stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all over the place. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And how are you enjoying that? Like how is that back to your Rekie days? Yeah, you know because one of the things one of the things we talked about, uh uh, I can't remember if it was your first time on, your second time on, was like the post traumatic stress and like the like pulling people out of cars isn't like necessarily like normal behavior, right, Yeah, And and I and I identify with that one, like you know where sometimes my girlfriend's like let this go, and.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's hard to de escalate some times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how like how has it been for you not only with like the postmatic stress going back sort of into this world, but also the sense of mission, the sense of purpose that you had and then you're and then then you're looking for does this kind of fulfill that.
Speaker 2: Role for you? Yeah? I think you know. That's one of the things when when USPA.
Speaker 3: I asked I wanted to come on full time working with them, I was like, man, I'm so happy that you all asked me, because this is something that can definitely get behind because I knew what they were doing because I kind of helped a little bit on the side with that.
Speaker 2: But you're right, I've never had PTSD, I guess per se. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: But I did have other issues right that I that I had, and we can speak on that stuff if you guys have time.
Speaker 2: I want to. But I never had PTSD. But yeah, it is right, It is good. You know.
Speaker 3: Whenever I retired, I was doing the free fall stuff. There was a lot of free fall contracts. I was teaching wrecky courses and long range shooting cosses and stuff to different guys, and I enjoyed that You're still with the boys, still walking in the mountains, still doing military type stuff. When you completely pull away from that. It kind of it's like a sever that you can feel, you know, it just doesn't feel right. So I pulled away from that for a little bit. But this definitely fulfills It fills that niche you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, am, I I'm sorry my memory is horrible, but I was it was Was it not you? We were talking about, like getting angry on the on the road and.
Speaker 2: Roadbrange I did. I Yeah, I used to get like that. Yeah. Yeah, that was a period of time for a while. I was just angry at the world. Man.
Speaker 3: I don't know why it was, but I was. I was angry, dude. I mean, you know, a lot of guys are scared to talk about this stuff. Yeah, but you know, suicide is a big deal. Like we've had friends that died from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Due to be honest with you, I've had a pistol to my head snatching the slack out of a trigger before. I'm not scared to tell people about that because that was a weakness that I was at it. I'll never be back there again, do that now. But at the time, man, I was being haunted. I don't know why or what it was called. None of this ever happened while I was in the military.
Speaker 2: Right. It was.
Speaker 3: Once I was out of the military and I was just at home with my wife and kid. I was drinking a lot to like kind of mitigate pain and stress and stuff like that, taking like pain pills and ambient and all that kind of crap, met self medicating. I don't know why I was doing it. I felt like I needed it to sleep. I felt like I needed it to be RESTful. But dude, I would lose control. Man, Like I was angry. I was. I was so mean to my wife. You know, Thank God I've got a good Christian wife. And my wife was praying for me all the time, Like I call her, I tell her, I think I said that on the second one. She's the most valorous soldier that I know because I was her worst enemy. I was attacking her left and right, and she just prayed for me and prayed for me and prayed for me. And then boom, I'm completely changed. I'm not even close to the same guy I was the last time I was on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: You know that goes into my new passion is like studying the Bible, like I have studied the Bible for the last four years now.
Speaker 2: And at first I was telling you I would chuck that thing across the room. I'd get pissed off.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this book is stupid, it's trash. Who could even understand this thing? But now I've studied it so much that I do understand it. Now, I do understand it clearly, and I teach people on the side. I put together Bible studies and lead groups of Bible studies for this, and there's a lot of people coming around to the truth with this now one of the most shocking things.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't like to accept it. But I mean, the Bible predicted this. The Bible predicted that in the end times, the entire church, the entire church would be apostate, meaning that it's completely against God. Right, Yeah, that's exactly where we are. We are. It says, you know, the ministers of Satan would become the ministers of righteousness. That's what's going on. Like it literally says false apostles as the apostles of Christ. So all of this, the Bible told us that in the end times, Satan's ministers would be in the church teaching false doctrine. But a lot of people have too much pride to.
Speaker 3: Look at the Bible and be like, this teaches totally different than what my preacher said. A lot of times it hits them deep and they just refuse it. They refuse it, and like the Bible says, they harden their hearts against it because of pride.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, like from what you've described, it sounds like you're kind of like self taught, like you didn't really go to church so much as as much as you like force your way through the.
Speaker 2: Bible initially, like line by line.
Speaker 1: You know, even I think you said you didn't really take to it, you didn't really understand it, but you ken't add it until it started to make sense to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really did.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of the seminary schools that are out there teach, they teach this corrupted doctrine that's out there.
Speaker 2: It's anti biblical.
Speaker 3: Man, If you really do take a forensic study of the Bible itself, it takes immense amounts of hours, Like I mean, I have thousands and thousands of hours of studying to this, and then you start unlocking pieces because there's like you know, Jesus spoken different parables and things like that. A lot of those parables, you think there's a surface layer understanding to it, but when you understand more depth of the scriptures, it unlocks the parable's true meaning and a lot of that stuff. It doesn't come alive until you've really studied in depth. And you're right, I studied on my own, and I believe that's a purest form. And the Bible says that that we're not supposed to have anyone else.
Speaker 2: Interpret the scriptures for us. We're supposed to individually between you and the scripture, but it's between us and God. He interprets it for us, and it actually interprets itself too, So I mean we're not really like a religious podcast per se. But since this is like something that like means something to you and has been like beneficial for you, I would like to ask, like in your own words, then what is the Bible to you? What? What?
Speaker 1: What? What did you take out of it? What are like the big threads that changed you?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I think the Bible is the manifestation of God himself, you know what I mean? Like it does say in the beginning was the word, the word was God, and the word was with God.
Speaker 2: The word became flesh and wealth among us. So there's codes in that. Right.
Speaker 3: The word is the scriptures, and it's saying that the word was God and is God, and so like I believe that studying those scriptures it cleanses you. It says that it does, and it has cleansed to me. You know, my wife don't fight, but we used to. I don't drink like I used to drink every single night all the time. Now I'll have an occasional drink here and there, never get drunk. I don't take any of the pills that I used to take. I've cleaned up my language, you know what I mean, my acts, my cloture. It's just and I didn't try to do this. It did it for me, right, you know, it was just like it just naturally happens.
Speaker 2: Do you You.
Speaker 4: Know, because you talk about this anger and you know, and I think that a lot of veterans, you talk about suicide and things like that, and I think a lot of veterans, especially a lot of special operations veterans for whatever reason, where this you know, there's this blanket sort of idea of post traumatic stress. But you know, as we've talked about on the show before, there's also blast injuries and TBI. They get meshed in with that because we've we've we've all stood way too close to way too many breaches. Yeah, and you know, and then there's also going from sixty miles an hour to zero.
Speaker 2: Miles an hour.
Speaker 4: I think that has a lot to do with it. Where you have this purpose. You are an elite, you know, you're you're an elite in the world. You're like a child actor whose time ends right and you're at the top. You're at the top of your game with purpose, with a fulfilling mission. And then you're back out in the sibilian world where there's none of the camaraderie, none of the purpose, none of that. And so that with the pro dramatic stress that may or may not be there, with the blast injuries and TBIs, it all blends together to.
Speaker 3: This catraphic situation. Yeah, exactly, it really does. And I think it's easy to be overtaken by that.
Speaker 2: It's really easy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm telling you, I've been like with a block snatching the slack out of the trigger, like I was lucky at a overpull that thing. I could have easily been one of those statistics and like who knows if those guys are doing the same thing, never intended on killing themselves, but just so angry. They're just like you will you don't think I'll do this, you know what I mean at your wife, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's very momentary.
Speaker 4: I mean I have very momentary I've kicked in a door and taken a pistol out of friend's hand before. And and he's no longer like it was a momentary thing. Yeah, and and and he's not at risk anymore, thank god. But the thing is is that it's such an insidious spiral that that we don't we don't see it for ourselves when we're in it.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're exactly right.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, I preached to my buddies all the time, and like I got like Rodney Brown, you know, he he always tells me, he's like, hey, bro, if you ever need me, call me, like, and he's specifically talking about that. Not because at the time when he would say that to me, it's not because he knew that I had had these events, because I definitely didn't tell him, right, you know, because like i'd like I'll talk about the stuff out in the open. I'll tell it to anybody, because it's an issue that does need to be talked about because we all deal with it, you know what I mean, We all deal with it at some level, maybe not as bad as that or like to the point we actually do it, but we all deal with it at some level. And it just depends on how far the control it gets. But yeah, I wouldn't call them when those times, right, you know what I mean. It's one of those things You're right, you have to. It's hard to get out of It's hard to overcome that weakness and admit that you're weak, right, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Right, right, And and yeah, and it's one of those things where issue You're right, like people don't reach out like people who expect like veterans or probably anybody in this situe, not just veterans, but people who expect people to reach out to a professional or even a friend, it's not going to happen. That's when you have to like do those buddy checks and like like you just go in and assume going like an assault team basically. Yeah, and and you know, give the knife hand and.
Speaker 2: You get luck.
Speaker 3: Like there's there's people that I've worked with that I was lucky to get on the phone with and talk them. I fell off of it. Guys that worked for me called me one time and was like, Hey, there's this one guy and that used to be in our in our group, in our platoon, and he's struggling right now. We think he's gonna kill himself. And they're like call him, and I'm like, please, God, let's do answer to the phone.
Speaker 2: I called.
Speaker 3: He answered the phone, and I don't know if I helped him. Maybe I got to intervene at that right time. But that's why, like you said, this buddy checks doing them routinely, because that dude's not gonna call you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Luckily, somebody saw triggers from that guy on like maybe social media, right, and then they started alerting people that network worked for that guy. But it doesn't always work, man, And that's why I think being honest about it, Like that's why, Like I saw one of my buddies, DJ Shipley, who was made him did some free fall contract stuff together. I watched the podcast he did on Sean Ryan and he talked He talked very open about that, and I was like, dude, like I can't believe, like like I'm like, if he he's talking about that.
Speaker 2: I should be able to talk about that stuff. Yeah. So I'm like that that like changed me right there.
Speaker 3: I was like, dude, that is awesome on him to have spoken out about his weaknesses. You know, Steal Team six operator like admitted his weaknesses. Man, more people need to hear that stuff. So when I heard that from him, I was like, dude, I need to do the same thing if I ever get the opportunity, be honest about it, because you know, people will realize because we're bad at the one special ops guys, right, we can't be weak.
Speaker 2: But in that situation, you have to admit when you're weak. What was the turning point for you?
Speaker 3: You know, I really don't know it just it kind of like slowly happened with my Bible study stuff. Like I said, I just stuck with it and stuck with it. It's like God just took it from me. Man, he took the anger away for a while. He took the like, the the want to to do that stuff. I don't get angry, Like the things in my wife used to do that made me angry don't make me angry anymore. I don't make her angry like I used to, because she's changed too. She's in the same boat me but on the other side now. So our whole family has changed because of that stuff. I just I can't explain it, man, Yeah, I can't explain it. But it's definitely for the better. No, that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I mean it really is. And and it's you know, definitely a topic that definitely needs to be talked about man more often.
Speaker 4: Well, and and you know, we've we've had people on who have who have been through this and who have been through uh, psychotropical medicines you know, uh stelly ganglion blocks you know, uh yeah, fourty with like the breathing and things like that, like all these different things. But you know, you're bringing something that that hasn't really been talked about on the show before, which is is just faith true.
Speaker 2: I do believe with everything in my entire being that that is the ticket. It's not the easy ticket though.
Speaker 3: It comes with like like the scripture says, those who diligently seek him, he will manifest himself to you. So you can't just do it at a surfarate la surface layer. You can't just half asset you know what I mean, you got to go into full bore. And that's the way I looked at him. I was like, I'm gonna prove that this is either a legitimate, divinely inspired book or I'm gonna prove it's trash one of the two. And I went at it myself tearing. It was such a typical Ranger there's no right right, It's either good all the way in. But it definitely I believe that's the ticket because I've tried the the different stuff out there.
Speaker 2: We've got a ranger buddy grant them, Miles grant them. Yea.
Speaker 3: He travels around and helps guys with this, with the toad stuff. Right, And he came and like, and I don't want to say too many details, but he put me through one of those toads.
Speaker 1: I've interviewed him about it before, about hyahuasca and stuff like that. So me and Miles were in the same platoon. We were both in snipers together. Yeah, I knew you were and uh, and then we reconnected. We stayed in touch after we got out of the military.
Speaker 2: We used to have dinner once in a while, and he lived up here in New York, and yeah, he's doing executive protection stuff. Oh that's right, and for better or worse.
Speaker 1: I convinced him he should go to Columbia, he should go enroll up there, and he majored in political science or no, he majored in computer science. And then he got on board with all the hyahuasca stuff and it did him. I mean he's talked about it publicly before. I mean it's done him a world of good, and like you said, now, he goes around helping other guys with it.
Speaker 3: He called me like he was hitting me up. He was like, dude, you need to do this stuff. You need to do this stuff. I'm like, man, I just didn't want to because I was working and I was afraid i'd be like hungover weird afterwards. A lot of the times he was trying to catch me, you know places you know out west, and I'm like, I just can't.
Speaker 2: Do this in the middle of the work trip.
Speaker 3: It's just I just don't feel right about it. He's like, it's over with like super fast. So then he finally hmmed me up.
Speaker 2: And everything was so bad with my wife at the time to where she was like, I don't care. She was totally against it.
Speaker 3: She's like that's stuff satanic, you know what I mean. And she's like totally against it. But then she's like, I don't care if it'll save our marriage, just do it. I said, all right, So I hit him up and I said, yeah, I'm good if you want to do it. So he literally personally did one for me and a couple other guys, another Ranger body, and then an SF dude that I met at Walter Reid came down and did it for me in my backyard man and it was it was the most amazing thing.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that's what fixed me. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I still had issues, significant issues after that. I do know that there are guys that do it. The state's life changing.
Speaker 4: Do you think it gave you space to like examine the rest of it, Like if it didn't change everything immediately for you, do you feel like it created a space for you to do that, to like examine things.
Speaker 2: I believe so, because I do believe.
Speaker 3: This is what I try to tell people, Like my wife was against it all, but I was like, God created those things for a reason, right, you know, if there's God and he's real, he created these plants and these things for medicine. I believe it's for guys like us who are too hard to break through to that spiritual peace, you know. Like so I think I think what that did do for me is it showed me because you you go and meet God when you do that stuff, that's what it does. It takes you into what they call the spirit realm.
Speaker 2: Like that's little. I mean, that's what they talked about.
Speaker 3: You're going into the spirit world and that's where you go with hyahuasca and the toad medicine is even more potent. And that's the stuff that I did, And I think it showed to me that God is real and he's out there. So then that kind of intrigued me because it was about after, right about after that when.
Speaker 2: I really started studying the Bible.
Speaker 3: So maybe it did kind of catalyst it in because I'm like, you know, God's real for sure. Now this book's better be real or wrong.
Speaker 2: It starts started digging in.
Speaker 1: I think Jim Morris, you know, had like a really interesting comment like after Vietnam he started experimenting with LSD back when.
Speaker 2: No one knew about that.
Speaker 1: Jim Morrison from George Special Forces in Vietnam, and he said that, you know, the the psychedelics can get you out of the box you're in into like the room of the house, but as far as like if you want to explore the rest of the house, you kind of have.
Speaker 2: To do that on your own. That's a good point. I think he's right about that. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it did because you know, thinking back on it, maybe it was the catalyst that pushed me into the realm that I'm at now, because yeah, it kind of breaks down like I think, you know, like how older people get to where you know, they're stuck in their old wage can't take teaching old dog new tricks. We tend to compartmentalize ourselves in our brains or what the norm is, right, and that thing, I do believe it helps step you outside of that box of the norm to where you're like, well this exists.
Speaker 2: Let me get busy with that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, no, it's it's fascinating. You know, I've talked, well we've talked to people. I've talked to people personally about the ayahuasca, the ibu gain, you know, the different types of plant based medicines that are out there, and what's really interesting because you even mentioned LSD and we can talk about like h d MT and and uh and uh molly or uh. You know, like these were all being researched heavily, like in the fifties or a lot of these were, yeah, in sixties and then when they broke out of a lab and became part of the counterculture, was all shut down. But but it but there was already efficacy being shown, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Decades ago. Yeah, for sure with these things.
Speaker 3: And it's you know, all coming back around now, like and I think you have to be careful with it. But I haven't seen any special operations guys that have done it that have had bad negative effect.
Speaker 2: I've never had one of them come back to me and say like they got a bad experience. But like another one of my buddies from the Ranger Regiment just did it. And I won't say his name. I don't know if he won't start out.
Speaker 3: But he's just like he's like me now, like he's studying the Bible, like he's digging in hardcore. This is a retired sarm major, you know, he's he's like no joke, Like he did the ayahuasca and I think the IBI gain I think the toad he did like a big thing down in Central or South America where it's like totally legalized, so like they were able to do a longer treatment. Yeah, and he was like, man, it changed his life, and yeah, it has. I see it in him.
Speaker 2: I look at that guy like he's talking to me about the Bible now, I'm like, what it's like, me talking about the Bible, like a couple of years ago, be the last thing you hear me talking about.
Speaker 3: But that guy's talking about it now. Yeah, I'm like, man, And I've seen that from a lot of the guys that do it.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting to see, Like, and I've seen it a lot because I've been out of the military for what like twelve thirteen years now, so I've gotten to see a lot of guys get out of the military and they have their post military journey transitioning out, and for a lot of them, it is a rough ride. I mean I had something of a rough ride too, the transition out for a lot of guys, the substance abuse to.
Speaker 2: Anger, like a lot of anger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then find something And then we've talked about a bunch of different things. People find different things in different ways. For some people it's more traditional therapy whatever that happens to be, and then they sort of like even out and find the next thing in their life. It's just very interesting and I find it very i don't know, like gratifying in a way to watch these guys sort of evolve, you know. And unfortunately, the unfortunate thing, of course that we've talked about too, some don't make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, thankfully there are some that are making it. And and to know what the solution to that is, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I do believe that, you know, the whole faith thing, I do believe that's the key. I just don't know, Like I said, even in my own process, I don't know how that came about necessarily.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: What's interesting, though, is the faith thing isn't even it's not new like alcoholics. Anonymous was sort of based around faith, you know, not necessarily Christianity, but a higher power and giving getting over to that higher power. You know, how a person recognize it. It's it's just that you know, we often you know, we're a secular country at this point in a lot of ways, and and we we.
Speaker 2: Stray away from faith.
Speaker 4: We also have people who like push the faith a little, you know, too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're pushing it the wrong ways honestly. Yeah. Yeah, there's more too than that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they make it like very they make it like a very scary, judgmental like thing.
Speaker 3: It's like a social club. Yeah, I mean, it's really like a social club. Like you just do this thing and hang out here and at like I act and you're cool. But they're they're just as loss as anybody else, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you dig into the Bible about it.
Speaker 3: But but you're right, man, it definitely it's it's something that has gone away because I think, you know, in America, we're all about making money, making money, making money, and even you're working hard, you're making tons of money, you have more incentive to work even more hours. But then there's the people that are poor as well. They're working two jobs, three jobs just to keep afloat. Right on top of that, you got your children in sports, gymnastics, piano lessons, all these things.
Speaker 2: It occupies all your time. You cannot you do not have the time that I have to read the Bible, like I was unemployed for an entire year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really what COVID year. Yeah, Yeah, I was unemployed for an entire year.
Speaker 2: And that entire year, I spent a lot of time in the Bible itself, and I and I found out that that thing is true, and I feel pity for people. I'm like, I just wish everybody had that.
Speaker 3: Time, and and I wish something would urge them to do it because it is life changing. But bottom line is, in this world, we just everything is out there to take you away from that instead.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Less said that, Uh, there used to be a trouggle and that worked at the PX across from the Workla and Mike went into purchase DIP and she would not allow him to even though he was in uniform.
Speaker 3: Oh, because I didn't have my ID card. I remember that I went over there to buy my DIP. I literally walked across the street, so like I forgot left my ID card or something like that. I'm in uniform, master sergeant, right, so I'm like, obviously I'm.
Speaker 4: Probably older eighteen, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And she would not sell it to me. I got soaked people a gun on her. Probably should have dude. That lady was mean.
Speaker 1: God I had I had one of my privates uh in handcuffs at the p X because he uh went to go buy a pack of smokes forgot to pay for it and walked out the door. Dang yeah, man, the the NPS came and slapped handcuffs on. First sergeant had to come down. Oh yeah, dang yeah, people with the PX can be dicks.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, I had. I'm trying to remember. I don't even want to tell that story. It'll get down a whole nother rabbit hole. That was at the clothing and sales one time. Not a good situation at for Betting.
Speaker 3: A lot of those ladies that worked on places on for Benning were not nice, have their own they had yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and the thing is is that they could take it out on Joe's right, like privates. Yeah, what's a private gonna do to somebody who works at the PX A little bit of power?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you mouth off? All they got to do is call your boss and you're straight done. Yeah you know what I mean at that point? Yes, rude. Yeah, they do have power. I mean, and they oh, they abuse the crap out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have any questions for Mike, we do, let me uh let me get into them.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm going to uh preface these questions by saying I saw a.
Speaker 2: Couple of them go by.
Speaker 4: There might be no no, no, but there might be like some there might be like some t TP type questions going on, and I will I will ask Mike the questions you guys asked.
Speaker 2: But understand that.
Speaker 1: Understand that, uh give us the nuclear launch codes broke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh you know you like we don't we don't like got your questions on this channel and whatnot. But we're gonna we're gonna lay one out. You talked about getting read onto all these programs. Tell us about the aliens, man tell us about Area fifty one and what she was read onto.
Speaker 2: Oh I wish, I wish I knew.
Speaker 3: Although oh yeah, that's I really wasn't read onto any of that stuff. Although there's a guy that has a biblical perspective on that that that ties cauns.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 3: You know New Jerusalem, which is like Heaven comes down from Heaven. It's gonna what is it gonna look like?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be like twelve thousand prolongs with twelve thousand prolongs, that's huge. It's gonna be like a massive spaceship probably And this one dude's perspective on it. I don't know a hundred percent on it, but he believes it could be a deception, you know what I mean to like lure people into the false Scott who knows the UFO cult? Yeah? Yeah, who knows?
Speaker 4: Let's see he uh so. Brian Fitzgibbons, thank you very much, friend. Mike Edwards and Adam White, two of the greatest of all time.
Speaker 2: I love you too. Adam, come over here and sit.
Speaker 4: Down, man, come come saying yeah, if you guys have not watched Mike's previous two shows and Adam's previous show like you Gotta Jackson, thank you very much. People have said r C prepares guys best for Delta selection given RC selection process and mission. How true is that in your opinion? Also, what's the working relationship with Delta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we worked directly with him, just like anybody else does within the community. And I would say, yeah, if you wanted to go to Delta for selection and you've been to r C selection, more likely to be successful because they're very similar and vice versa. Guys that go to Dealtimore selection would be more likely to be successful in RC because they're the selections are very very similar. If I can't say exact, but sure pretty close.
Speaker 4: But would it be similar to going from like like Apple to IBM that that you're that people aren't going to r RC to prep for Delta. It's not like deltas you're wasting your time. Delta's not like the next step up because they're they're very they're like equal, they just do different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's not like, yeah, you're not gonna go to one of those to go to the other one because you're going through this arduous, arduous program to then go to another arduous, arderiss program.
Speaker 2: I just think that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Now I've seen guys that have tried every one of them and then finally get to one of them. Yeah, you're like, you went through all of that, but it's not the best route.
Speaker 2: But you're right.
Speaker 3: So if you go to r C, it's because you're interested in more of the Reki piece, or if you're going into Delta fores, sure you're more gonna be interested in the dapece like they kicking indoors kind of stuff. So the way I like to explain it, is delta force. They do a higher level of CQB like Range of Battalion does a ton of it, but those dudes do it at the highest, highest, most precision.
Speaker 4: Level, right you know, Joe's gotcha, Thank you very much. Uh yeah, so this very yeah so so uh so this is one of those questions. Uh, did r C have in how singan capabilities when you were there or did they have to rely on sod a's or TFO to fill that role?
Speaker 2: No worries if you can't comment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have our own and you know abilities within the regiment. You know, the regiment's pretty robust, so yeah, we have our own capabilities within that.
Speaker 4: Jackson, thank you very much. How much shooting CQB REC training did you do as an RC operator compared to your time as a ranger in alignment? Also, how often do you see green berets or seals or Marst guys at our r scene.
Speaker 2: We did a lot of shooting, a lot of a lot.
Speaker 3: Like I said, we got a lot more to the pistol shooting piece because it's the concealed carry aspect of it.
Speaker 2: We need that a lot.
Speaker 3: So we've shot a lot more pistol and RC than we did in the Ranger Betines. As far as rifle shooting, we probably shot about the same amount, although we probably shot sniper rifles more in RC. As far as like dealing with special forces in MARSOK and guys like that, I never really worked with special forces. Are MARSOC dudes oversees that much. I would occasionally see them. But when I worked at the free Fall school, I worked with those guys and I helped that. If that person doesn't know, I helped, you know, with my buddy might helped create marsk's free fall program. What we stood up the first couple of courses, and I helped work all those courses and helped build a lot of the TTPs for it.
Speaker 4: So uh ntat channel, thank you very much. Greeting as gentlemen, listening in and being an artilleryman, that's a task in itself. Suns out, guns out, That's true. Artillery and mortars are tough jobs both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are, dude, and that goes Leslie Sandusky and all the other mortar guys that were in my platoon back in the day. I was super impressed with those guys. I'll still keep in touch with a lot of those guys still to.
Speaker 3: This day, they're a whole other level of Ranger. I mean, no joke, they're so underappreciated. Those guys are some of the smartest guys in the Ranger regiment and so underappreciated too, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it's like they carry like, no matter what everybody's carrying, they're carrying even more. Yeah, for sure. That's another good point. They're carrying the heaviest loads by far.
Speaker 4: Like you never want those guys coming down the fast rope after you, no, because it's a really fast rope when they're coming down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, grease that rope. Yeah.
Speaker 4: USBA National Security thank you very much for the very generous donation.
Speaker 2: Cheers. Oh nice, awesome, Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: DJ Snead, thank you very much. How does RRC different from Force recomp an Air Force Special Reconnaissance? Is it the customer or capability is omega like a f and AFO team are better.
Speaker 2: There's like a good question in there.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking to Adam's Mike about a lot of people wonder about like the difference between reconnaissance units.
Speaker 2: There's like G Squadron, Black squadron. Everyone has their own recon element. You want to talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, uh, like the the G Squadron and Black Squadron guys.
Speaker 2: We worked with those guys a lot too.
Speaker 3: They're more I'd say they probably delve into slightly different things that we did in r r C, but we had a lot of overlap of capabilities, just like the guys up at in Virginia as well, a lot of overlapping capabilities there. Now, the Force recon guys, I would say, like, they're super solid dudes, some of the best guys. Like, dude, I love marines period. There's a lot of great marines out there, especially in that realm. But they're their capabilities and their assets weren't just weren't near what we had, Like we just had immense funding and uh in who else was it that they compared it to, Like, uh, Air Force Air Force SRR guys, The Air Force Special Reconnaissance start off as like the Air Force weather guys. I actually trained a bunch of those guys last time, and they're just their focus is more on the Air Force aspect of it. So, and I don't want to get into a who lot of the details on that because a lot of their stuff that they do is pretty classified as well airfields. Yeah, and and like enabling fast movers to do their job. So it's like different than us defeating those types of targets. But yeah, it's cool. It's a cool thing, but it's all needed out there. Like you can't just like R so you could probably do all that different stuff and vice versa.
Speaker 2: But we all have our little niche that we.
Speaker 3: Really specialized in, and ours was broad, like Recky, the WRECKI niche is pretty broad, yeah, and ours was pretty broad. But a lot of those guys, like the S the special reconnaissance guys, there's a little bit more focus in this area versus these other guys a little more focused here, the the reforce recon guys, more of the tactical RECKI focus from what I've seen, totally capable unit though, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, and eventually it probably comes down to in a bar, how much do you have to explain your job versus how much do people already know your job?
Speaker 2: Right? And that's the thing with RC.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows about it, literally nobody knows about it, like it's all people. A lot of times I was in probably one of the smallest, you know, little secretive units that you've never heard of you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Because you probably haven't heard of it. Yeah, that's what's cool about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can you get a chick by just saying what you did?
Speaker 2: If not, then nobody knows about it. Only if you're a Navy seal, right, only if you're you gotta do is Bavy seal? Boom? Yeah, you got chicks, you got jobs, you got everything, books, books anymore.
Speaker 4: I don't know that people know about it though, like, like you know about it, but I don't think people know about it.
Speaker 6: I I literally knew about it because Jack Murphy posted on the team house like r RC like I I mean, like we won't see the numbers. It is fucking remarkably small. We were talking before, like like.
Speaker 3: I was number seventy nine. I think you said seventy eight. I don't remember. I got the coin much.
Speaker 2: Later, seventy eight or seventy nine memory, I remember, Okay, seventy eight. I'll take your number. Seventy eight that ever.
Speaker 3: Graduated through the pipeline as of when I graduated in two thousand and eight or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, two thousand and eight, two thousand yeaes some aroun there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh Baker Hitch, thank you very much. Tell us your UFO stories.
Speaker 3: Oh, I will tell you a really cool one, actually very recent. I don't know what this thing was, but I reached out to a pilot body of mine who works for skunk Works now and he was like, yeah, we have this capabilities in the US military. I was teaching special recallaissance dudes from the two four STS guys and their OTC pipeline.
Speaker 2: We were out out in the desert out west.
Speaker 3: I want to say anything specific, because you know, dudes want to keep theirself secret too. But we were out there just doing just some basic patrolling techniques, right. We're like doing it at night with night vision stand off there with our thirty one's on. I'm looking up and I look at the dude that was with me. It's a Delta Force dude that was, you know, teaching the course with me.
Speaker 2: And I look up. In my holy crap, look at that. We look up. There's this thing that looks like a boat. It's like ripping across the sky, but it's leaving like a wake behind it. I'm talking, it covered from one horizon all the way to the other horizon a matter of seconds, but it was way up there. You couldn't tell what it was. You couldn't hear anything, there's no sound. It was not as fast as like a shooting star, but near as fast, but it had a wake.
Speaker 3: Coming off of it the whole time and then just disappeared. Yeah, it was like some sort of hypersonic aircraft. And I told my buddy about it, explained it to him. He was like, yeah, he's like, we have aircraft like that in the US that are hypersonic.
Speaker 2: And I was like, holy crap, hypersonic.
Speaker 3: I think it's like seven times the speed of sound because I looked it up something like that.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, Like, if you ever want to like talk to somebody who will geek out of about this stuff and knows their shit and is just a blast to talk to, talk to Alex Hangings, just get just get him on a call sometime and just talk with him because he knows so much and he's so fun to talk to because he just loves it so much. But he'll talk about hypersonics and like newest developments and all that stuff all day long.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, somebody came out recently with the UFO stuff and said that that we have like the UFOs there, like we have the capability in the US Arsenal, the crafts that are capable of that kind of stuff you've seen, So I'm like, dang, I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: There's some there's some weird stuff out there.
Speaker 1: I have no idea for sure what it is, but I mean what the SR seventy one was developed back in like the sixties.
Speaker 6: So I mean the stuff that I knew we could do in two thousand and six, like it's yeah reason and for.
Speaker 3: The viewers out there, if we were read onto it, it was probably just this very just the edge of it. There's this much more that was out there, Like everything's so compartmentalized, like you have to have a need to know, and if you don't have a need to know, you're not knowing about it. Yeah, I guarantee you we have stuff that we couldn't even fathom out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean think about this. I went to Disney about two years ago. The new Star Wars ride was out there. If anybody's ever been to that, it's mind boggling like that. I saw stuff happen in that ride that I'm like, how is this even possible. Like there was this wall that I was leaning up against. All of a sudden, it just literally melted. You could feel the heat coming off of like someone cut it up with a laser beam. We walked through it.
Speaker 3: And like we were on this ride getting escaped through like these drones were shooting at us, lasers were flying over, burning up the bulkheads.
Speaker 2: It was like being in a movie.
Speaker 3: And the technology that we used for that, I guarantee you can make cloaking devices if you can make a laser like the whole bulkhead look like a laser beams flying over, yeah, and feel the heat from it as it flies over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude.
Speaker 4: It was the most realistic thing I've ever seen. What I think they just I don't. I didn't do any research in this video, so you know, I saw it and I didn't really care. But there was a video that I just saw that they said was in a Chinese theater and it looked like flames were coming out of the screen and across the top.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know if it was philosophical argument of why we're in the matrix, because like you start with like okay Atari video games were like this, right, and then video games got better and then they got better, and like, philosophically, if you can concede those points, that's the argument that we're all in this like matrix matrix, like video game. I'm still a philosophical argument.
Speaker 4: I'm still waiting for the virtual reality deep Dive mm RPG that I can just plug my brain into and like live there, you know, gain levels exactly exactly. My video game is pretty dope.
Speaker 2: Brian Fitzgibbons, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Someone called Adam White and from behind the curtain, Well we got him. Yeah. Danny Roberts, thank you very much. What was MEGA?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: How are the team roles or how are they made up?
Speaker 2: Great interview? Thank you guys.
Speaker 3: So MEGA is not like anything like crazy, spooky secret or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think it's a tactical element.
Speaker 3: You have, you know CIA dudes that are contractors like you were you know running or were you you were a contract or your blue badge guy. Oh no, but anyway, uh, they uh doing contract work over there. They're actually controlling the endage, running around orchestrating what's going on target. And for us, as the military aspect of it, we were the uh We were basically like the command control right, we were the tie to Jaysock, So Jaysuck could bring in the close air support fires, assets, We could bring in the helicopters and things like that.
Speaker 2: Because we were there. So we were just a force multiplier.
Speaker 3: They had their dage, the ground branch guys controlled them and handled them there, and then we just.
Speaker 2: Were forcedmultiply the fires and the assets.
Speaker 4: And you guys had all the authorities that US military had, we could.
Speaker 2: Take custody of them.
Speaker 3: It was just like, I mean, they're over there just kind of helping out the fight and we bring what we can bring to the table to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: One thing tying back into Exodus that the audience like it deserves mentioned again is that by design, these guys did not have affiliation or paperwork uh with the Afghan government. So when the team, when the time come came to like try and bring them to the United States. Like the frustrating part was by design, they were literally I mean it sounds ridiculous in the bar, but they were quite literally part of such a top secret program that they didn't have any of the affiliations. A lot of it was like mind blowing and it's strict irony.
Speaker 2: That was like guys soul, but they were quite literally hard for them.
Speaker 6: It was like the but it made me think of the Omega program in the air, you guys.
Speaker 3: You know yeah, and their guys are probably similar to that too, I mean, if not exactly like that, but I know that's one of the frustrating things we're trying to get those guys out is because there's not the best documentation kept on them.
Speaker 6: I will say, quit quite literally by design, you know this literally mind blowing frustrating things like no, these guys are yeah, the Exodus thing was you know, yeah, yeah, it was like, you know, I cannot explain to you the frustration of like, like, these guys are so special that there's literally nothing for me to prove.
Speaker 2: Right, but you have people vouching for them America. But from the eyes of like from the State Department, they're just hillbillies.
Speaker 4: From fucking right right right right, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, Like you heard it here first the State Department hates hillbilly No.
Speaker 4: But it was like a crazy yeah Americans exactly, Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's see here, body, ah, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: What does marcellis wass look like?
Speaker 2: Isn't that he's got afro?
Speaker 4: Does uh any huge difference between G Squadron and kg Reki, And again that's.
Speaker 3: It's a little different. I mean, that's not my purview to talk about. But like you know, I've worked with those guys before and I couldn't really speak on to that accurately. But you know, I think, you know, the different aspects like the juice smokings are probably more on like the stuff that we did kind of stuff you know we're focused was the wreck. You guys are more like snipers from what I saw, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did you know if we have anything from Patron?
Speaker 2: So nothing right now. All we we have we have one of.
Speaker 4: Our our Patreon get our Patreon members in studio tonight, like Breathing in the Excellence.
Speaker 7: We got a few from Isaac. I'm just gonna ask one. Did you work with I s A? I mean obviously you did. You were in Jayson, Yeah, yeah, I worked with those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so where can people find you now if they want to? You know, we've we've talked about us p A nationwide security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dot com That's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: I'm like the director of VIP security for us PA Nationwide Security. Yeah, do that from day to day, selling security contracts and working that stuff. And then when we have big events, I'll travel and help manage those events, uh with with our buddy Brian Fitzgibbons and and Dan Manning the CEO. And then you know, Mike Evans, the owner of the company, is such a great, great gracious guy to bring me on too. I really appreciate everything those guys have done for me. It's it's literally the best company you could ever dream of working for.
Speaker 2: I mean, in my opinion, yeah, I've only worked for a few, but I couldn't imagine anything better.
Speaker 6: Fast you mentioned like Mission earlier. It's it's like far from the flagpole for us. Like we you know, we bullshit chat. It's like it gives us like it's like an Avengers kind of group, like and you know, we.
Speaker 2: Do real stuff. Man. But yeah, it's it's been great.
Speaker 6: I mean to be distance teammate and friend like he's Mike Edwards with Mike Edwards, you know.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's uh love you man, Cameras.
Speaker 2: I didn't expect what happened to you. What happened a lot? Man?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, uh yeah, a lot the Hawthorne effect.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate Adam for letting me stay with him last night and he's.
Speaker 2: Last night it was leter.
Speaker 6: So we just lit a fire, listen to the Last Time He Can soundtrack, had Tito's and gatorade and ice cream sandwiches. Yeah, and talked about like the Bible and everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a good time. The fire was perfect. Yeah. No, it's a it's a it's a wait tinos and gatory. What what is that called?
Speaker 3: I don't know, tatrade, I don't know you guys shirtless when No.
Speaker 4: Well, Last Mohicans was I mean, it's what.
Speaker 3: We were talking about it last time we were together. We were in a hotel in Miami and I pulled my hair back to like the Daniel da Lewis Last of the Mohicans look, and that's what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: And then he put on the music. Yeah, no, I have like the physical CD. Uh. Yeah, it was awesome. Nothing all that.
Speaker 4: It's one of the finest movies with one of the finest that was it.
Speaker 2: Uh. It was a good movie. Yeah. But the scene where he takes out like scene yeah with a hatchet.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, every Warriors dream, Yeah, exactly one of the reasons I carried a hatchet for a while, never got a kill and realized how absolutely uncomfortable it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a gaudy thing to be carrying. Yeah, but if it ever came up, if it ever came up, it would have been amazing. It would have been amazing your training and like what sort of capabilities you guys were if you can talk about it, like what sort of training you guys are doing? You know, like, how did that go? That's a good question. Yeah, I really loved that we did. We did a lot of jumps in r see.
Speaker 3: We a lot of people consider us being one of the more proficient jump elements out there. But we would jump as high as it go, as high as thirty five thousand feet pre breathing oxygen jumping out. Most of what our capabilities we trained around a lot was high to high opening so jumping. The highest you can open a canopy via like us Army rags is twenty five thousand feet. Wow, So we jump out at twenty You can jump higher than that, you can't open it, right, So we jump out at twenty.
Speaker 2: Five thousand feet right off the ramp, deploy right off the ramp.
Speaker 3: You're under canopy at like twenty four five hundred feet under oxygen, nav boards down with like GPS and like modern day like GPS and stuff like that, and we can literally fly like different distances depending on the winds, like thirty forty kilometers.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So the glad ratio of the ones we were jumping at, most of them are about four to one. It depends.
Speaker 3: There's some out there that are pushing close to five to one different types of canopies. The ones that most you guys use are four to one, So when you're.
Speaker 4: Talking about a glad ratio, you're talking about the amount you can afford.
Speaker 3: Four feet to drive to then, and it depends on the wind too, so we're always going to jump typically up win so we're running with the wind, so it magnifies that so we can cover a lot of distance. But yeah, we could jump anywhere land pretty much anywhere at any time, in pretty much any environment.
Speaker 2: Like clouds kind of limit us.
Speaker 3: We can still jump through them, but it's super dangerous and a lot of planning considerations. But I loved it, man, I did it. Taught it out the free fall School, taught it as a contractor. For a while, I really enjoyed flying the canopy piece of it, teaching the body flight, but my body was just tired of it.
Speaker 2: So when I took the break, it was like, Eh, I guess I'm done with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what makes a cloud or jumping through a cloud dangerous?
Speaker 3: You can't see, especially at night time, it's just hard to see. And if you can't it's hard to see guys anyway, Like when I used to jump with students, like with the Marsak guys, I would be like, stay tight going out because the plane's traveling at one hundred and thirty knots across the ground.
Speaker 2: So as every dude goes.
Speaker 3: Out, they're getting spread out by hundreds of meters. So you got a twelve man team, special forces team, whatever going out. By the time I'm the last cout, the other dudes over a kilometer away from me. So at night time picking that dude up, especially when you have city lights in the background and they're all sparkling, you're like looking through night vision. It's really hard to tell where your dudes are, where the strobe is versus the background city lights.
Speaker 2: So being accurate with everything you do, like I used to harp on.
Speaker 3: Dudes, get out, fly your body, deploy, keep your canopy on heading, and steer it to the direction we need to go to the drop someone. Because one dude could turn the wrong way for ten seconds. He's a half a kilometer in the wrong direction right, and trying to round that dude up is just challenging. So there's a lot of precision that's involved, and doing that very well, accurately and like repeatable that.
Speaker 2: Like the most amazing though through the clouds like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh dude, yeah, you'll you'll see and full disclosure at night. I can't imagine I've done I've done jumps before where I didn't see another dude because we were in clouds for ten thousand feet wow, and then we popped out of the clouds and like, oh, where's everybody. Oh, everybody's kind of close by. Thank god we didn't collide with each other. You can entangle canopies. I mean you could run into another dude's canopy and entangle and you wouldn't know it, so it's already happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Why is the seven still your favorite gun?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say necessarily it's my favorite gun, but It's definitely my favorite Lovaz gun at the time. There's probably better stuff out there now, who knows, but it was my favorite gun for Lovaz stuff. Like I you know, if you're if I'm going into kick indoors and kill bad guys, I'm still gonna prefer to have like an AR fifteen or something and some some sort of caliber. But for like Loviz stuff, that was my favorite gun because it was small kind of at the time, it was pretty modular and compact, and then it had that suppressor on it that made it, you know, pretty quiet too.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was it was a unique gun. Yeah, I liked it a lot.
Speaker 4: So I have a question because, like, as an old school ranger who fielded like the first round of SR twenty five that did not have a ford assist, And let me tell you, not having a forward assist on an AR fucking built like gun gun was horrible when you're trying to be stealthy because you're trying to seat the round, sometimes dropping it hard.
Speaker 2: It took the forward assist off the one ten which I had.
Speaker 4: Did they ever put an afford assist on an SR twenty five.
Speaker 2: I believe they, I thought they did, But I may be wrong. I think they did. I'd have to, you know.
Speaker 4: It was so horrible, like if you would like because obviously I only use it on training exercises, but like you get sand in or whatever and then you sit there and try and seat the round and bab.
Speaker 2: Jumps. Yeah yeah, you know. You saying that they didn't have a Ford assist gets me thinking now because if you were to just ask me, hey, does an SR twenty five before, I would have been like it, absolutely.
Speaker 7: Guys, the gun nuts are for melting down right now. They're melting since I've seen it SR twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean they weren't cool because they were like, like you said, they.
Speaker 4: Were based on the AR they had a suppressor, like they were so bad ass, but they didn't have a Ford assist, which made it horrible.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I thought they did. So yeah, all right, Uh if they're that's it.
Speaker 1: Uh So, next week we're gonna have Yayainusi is gonna be on the show.
Speaker 2: He was a CIA analyst. Dave's gonna be out.
Speaker 1: Uh So we're gonna have a special guest host, James Powell coming back.
Speaker 2: Nice, He's gonna be doing the interview with me. Uh.
Speaker 1: And I also want to shout out to Costa Cigars uh providing the cigars for this show, good friend of mine.
Speaker 2: These are the don Nello Torpedoes that he gave us. Awesome cigars. I hope you guys will go check them out.
Speaker 4: I want to give a shout out to Jack you love the Shadow and the old timey radio shows.
Speaker 2: A buddy of mine put together a cole c O. L. E.
Speaker 4: Steele s T E E l E. It's an old timey style radio show on all the podcast platforms. It's a comedy, but it's based off the old pulp show. Yeah, exactly all the old pulp like radio shows. But check it out on Spotify, Apple or iTunes, everything else.
Speaker 2: So, Mike Adam, any final thoughts before we roll out tonight. Thank you all for bringing me back for a third time. I appreciate it and good to see you in person again.
Speaker 1: While you guys are welcome back on anytime man, I really really appreciate you coming all the way out here.
Speaker 2: Shoot. Yeah, I enjoyed it anytime man.
Speaker 6: Both video Yeah, I mean I'm just happy to be here real. Yeah, Like my life is a movie, like fucking friends of you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, so yeah, I will see you guys next Friday with mister Powell and that's awesome.