Speaker 1: Welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We are so glad you're here. This is the Bible teaching ministry of Rick Warren. So let's join Rick right now for the final part of a message called Lessons from a Shrewd Money Manager.
Speaker 2: The seventh thing that we learn in money management is that money shows how much. Money shows what I love most. It shows what I love most, and that's the next verse. In verse thirteen, Jesus talks about the fact that money really reveals my priorities. It shows what I value, what I love most. Verse thirteen, Jesus says no servant can serve two masters. You ever try to serve two bosses. Doesn't work. It doesn't work. It's a stress on you. It says he will either hate the one and love the other, or he'll be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Now, once you circle the word cannot, this verse is filled with deep spiritual truth, and let me pull out a few of them.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 2: Notice here he says it is impossible to live with divided allegiance. He doesn't say it's difficult to live for God and money or it's hard to live for God and money, or it's stressful to live for both God and money. He says, you cannot, it's impossible. You cannot serve God and money. And so the real stress in your life going on right now is not what's in the economy that's symptomatic on the outside. What's the real stress is what's going on inside you. You have a divided heart, and the heart of the problem in your stress is a problem of the heart.
Speaker 3: It's you're trying to serve two gods at once.
Speaker 2: You can't say, my number one goal in life is to make money, and my number one one goal in life is to serve God. You can't have two number one goals. One has to be subordinate to the other. You have to decide what's going to be God in your life, God or money. And if God is God in your life, then money takes a subordinate role. It takes a secondary position. It's not as important as doing what God wants you to do. And if God says do something but it costs me money, I still do what God tells.
Speaker 3: Me to do. You can't have two gods.
Speaker 2: Now, God doesn't want your money, it's all his anyway, what you think is yours is really his. What he wants is what it represents, your heart. He wants your heart now, he says here in this verse, no servant can serve two masters. In other words, I'm going to have to choose what I'll love most in life. You know it doesn't work. He lays it out in black and white. He isn't vague. You see, tell me how you're spending your time, and tell me how you're spending your money, and I'll tell you what you love most. Now you may say, well, I love Jesus the most.
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't matter what you say. What matters is what you do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could say to you, I think it's important to spend time with my kids.
Speaker 3: Do you do it?
Speaker 2: No? Then it's not important to you. I could say I think it's important to read the Bible.
Speaker 3: Do I do it? No?
Speaker 2: Then I don't really believe it's important. It's not what I say is important, it's what I do. If you want to know what you love most, look at two things. Look at your calendar and look at your checkbook stubs, or your bank statement or your credit card report. Because the way you spend your time and the way you spend your money shows what you value most. He says, money shows what I love most. Now write this down. Love people use money. Okay, write this down, love people use money. That is the biblical basis from money management. I am to love people and I am to love God, and I am to use money as a tool. Now, if you get that reversed, you're in trouble because if you start to love money, you're going to use people. If you love money, you'll use people. But if you love people, you'll use money. And when anybody starts to love money, they will use people to get more money. And there are plenty of users in this world because to them, money is more important than people. Money is to be used, not loved. Now, there's nothing.
Speaker 3: Wrong with making a lot of money.
Speaker 2: In fact, I pray for you that you I pray for those who are members of Saddleback Church. I pray for my flock that you will be financially successful.
Speaker 3: I pray for that for you.
Speaker 2: Why not so you can be some fat cat, but so you can make a difference, so you can be do good in the world, so that you can further the gospel, so that God can use you in ways that you can't be used if you have nothing, no resources. So I pray for your financial blessing all the time. And there's nothing wrong. You ought to make all you can, and save all you can, and give all you can. Okay, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't become your god, as long as it's not in first place in your life. How do I know that God has first place in my life? Look at my time and look at my money.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The choice, he says here is always between God and money. It's very easy for money to become a god. Now follow me on this. When I live for my money, it becomes my master. When I give my money, it becomes my slave. When I live for money, it masters me. When I give my money, I'm telling where it goes. I'm in control. When I say I want to save this, I want to spend this, I want to invest this, I want to go give this. That means I'm in control. Money serves me instead of me serving money. And if God gives you something and then tells you to give it away and you couldn't give it away, you don't own it.
Speaker 3: It owns you.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are possessed by their possessions. Oh, I could never give that up. Then it's your idol. It's your idol. And so he's saying, here, learn to love God most Now, finally, number eight, the best use of money, not the only, but the best use is to invest it in getting people into heaven. And at least some of your money you should use in this way. It's not the only way, but the highest use of your money is to invest it in getting people into heaven. Now, in verse nine, we have one of the most misunderstood miss in interpreted verses in the entire Bible. Most people don't know what this verse means. In fact, when you read it, it sounds crazy. In verse nine, Jesus says this, I tell you use worldly wealth, that's the money your income. Use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves. What I was supposed to buy friends, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings. Remember how the unjust guy, the steward, he goes out and he gets some friends by cutting down their dead. He says, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so when it's gone, you'll be welcomed into eternal dwellings. He's talking about heaven there and does that verse shock you? Let me tell you what it doesn't mean. It doesn't mean go out and buy friends. It doesn't mean you can buy your way into heaven. It doesn't mean you can purchase your eternal self.
Speaker 3: Salvation is a gift. It is free.
Speaker 2: You can never earn it or buy for it. By it. It's a gift. What it does mean is this, use your money to build relationships that are going to last forever, eternal relationships, by winning people to Christ. Use your affluence for good influence, use your affluence for insuance. He's saying, whenever I use my money to help somebody become a believer, to follow Christ, to become a Christian, then that person's going to be in heaven forever and ever and ever, and they're going to be an eternal friend, and they're going to be eternally grateful because I use some of my money to help them get into heaven. And he says, if I use some of what I make my worldly wealth to make friends for eternity, I help people come to Christ, then I'll not only be rewarded in heaven, but I'll have these friends.
Speaker 3: Forever.
Speaker 2: It's the longest term investment you could ever think of.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Notice in this verse it says use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourself. So when is gone, you'll be welcomed into eternal dwelling circle. Welcomed into what's he talking about. He's talking about who's gonna meet you when you get into heaven. Imagine getting to heaven and when you walk through the gates, there's a crowd of people who are there because you use some of your money to help them become believers, and they go, Oh, Mary's.
Speaker 3: Finally here, She's finally here.
Speaker 2: We've been waiting for you. You're the last one to die. We're glad you're here. All of us are here because of you. Will that be worth it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so when he says, take some of your money and use it that way. When you take some of your money and you use it to help somebody go on a peace trip and they go on that piece trip and somebody comes to Christ, that person is heaven gonna. I'm here because of you. When you use some of your money to go on a piece trip yourself and somebody comes to Christ and that peace trip, then they're gonna be people in heaven saying I'm here because of you. When you take a friend who's not a believer in Christ yet and you take them out to lunch and you buy them lunch and you just be a friend to them and you love them and you help them with the problems they're going through, and when the time is right, you invite them to church and you tell them your testimony, you share your story, and they become a Christian. You have just invested for eternity. When you buy a Hallmark card for somebody who's just had a loss in their family and you write a little word of encouragement and a Bible verse and tell them that Jesus loves them, and then he has a plan for their life, and you just you're building that relationship. You're making a friend for life, and when that person comes to Christ, they're going to greet you in heaven. When you take some of your money and you buy it, go buy a Christian book that was meaningful to you and you give it to a friend, you have just invested in eternity, because when they come to the Lord, they're gonna be there. He says, so that when you're welcomed into eternal dwellings are there. When I walk into heaven, I'm going to be greeted by thousands of people because I've helped thousands of people come to Christ. Step across that line, and there's gonna be people that go, Rick, come here because you you help me know the Lord, and I'm gonna be greed. I want when you walk into heaven, I want there be a crowd to welcome you. I don't want you walking into heaven and nobody's there to greet you, because nobody's in heaven because of you as your pastor. I want you when you walk into heaven, people going, look, he's here, Bob's here. Bob, you help pay for my expense to go to the Men's retreat, and at the Men's Retreat.
Speaker 3: I accepted the Lord. Jerry's here, Jerry, Jerry.
Speaker 2: You took me on that white ot a rafting trip that saddleback did and sitting around a campfire, I gave my life to Christ with a group of men. Thanks Jerry. I'm your friend forever. I'm a friend for the next one trillion years. That's the stuff that's going to last. I want people in heaven cheering you because you invested your life the way and time and money the way Jesus says to Now, let me give you a little wisdom sage advice. You know I'm a grandfather now, so I can give you grandfatherly advice. Okay, here's the grandfatherly advice. Don't waste your money on stuff because stuff doesn't last. Stuff doesn't last. I don't care what it is. It's all temporary. It's gonna rot, it's gonna rust, it's gonna wear out, it's gonna go out of style, it's gonna get stolen, it's gonna lose its value. Stuff doesn't last. Nothing on this earth is going to last. This building is not going to last. Those trees are not going to last. Your car is not going to last. That piece of art at home is not going to last. In fact, on this planet, there are only two things that are going to last for eternity, only two. One of them is the Word of God. The Bible says heaven and earth will pass away, but my word will never pass away. Why because truth is eternal. So you invest in in truth, you invest in God's word. Number two, there's one other thing that's going to last for rather Oh yeah, it's people one of two places, heaven or hell, and where I spend my time and my money may determine where some people spend their eternity. So I want to suggest that the best investment of your life is not and your money is not in the stock market, but the best investment of your money is in the Word of God and in people, because it's the only stuff that's going to last everything else you're leaving behind. People say, well, you can't take it with you. That's true, but you can send it on ahead. And you send it on ahead by investing in people who are already going there, and you do it while you're living. You can't do it after you die. You can only do it while you're living. Do your giving while you're living, so you're knowing where it's going. As a pastor, I've done a lot of funerals, and most of you probably don't know that. For people who don't have clothes or suits to wear at a funeral, you know in the bodies in the caskets. Funeral homes sell what's called funeral suits. Funeral suits and funeral suits are just their nice suits. They look like any other suit, and you put the body in those funeral suits, and then they put them in the coffin so they look real nice tigh coat and hold it the The only difference between a funeral suit and a regular suit is this.
Speaker 3: They don't have any pockets. Why they don't need them. I've never seen.
Speaker 2: Anybody's in Oh, I need a pocket in my suit. When I'm in that casket.
Speaker 3: You don't need it.
Speaker 2: You're not taking it with you, but you can send it on ahead. The Bible calls it storing up treasure in heaven. Did you know that while you're here on earth you can actually be investing in heaven for yourself? Jesus said it several times. It's called storing up for yourselves in heaven. Look at this verse on the screen. Jesus said this, store up for yourselves treasure in heaven. Did you know you can store treasure in heaven? And notice who it's for? It's not for God. It says, store up for yourself. Are you sending anything on a head? Store up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust don't destroy it. It's not gonna rod, it's not gonna rust, and where thieves can't break in nobody can steal it. The economy isn't going to take it away. It's the only one hundred percent sure investment for where your treasure is there, your heart will be.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 2: I heard about a guy saw a cartoon a while back, and he gets to heaven and they take him over to his home and said, here's your home. He's just got this little shack between two giant mansions. And he says, you know, how come I don't have a mansion. They said, oh, well, this is all the material you sent ahead. You send in any material ahead? Or are you spending it all on interest payments for yourself? You invest in people who are going there. That's an eternal ira and it pays dividends for trillions of years.
Speaker 3: Let's bow our heads.
Speaker 2: As we close. Let's do some honest evaluation. Does God really have first place in my life? If God looked at an audit on me right now and looked at my schedule and looked at my checkbook or my credit card, how I'm spending my time and money? Is God really first place in my life? Can God trust me with what He's allowed me to have? Am I acting like it's all mine rather than's just on loan from God?
Speaker 3: Am I forgetting that?
Speaker 2: One day I'm going to give an account of what I did with what he loaned me. There's the way I'm using my money show that God can trust me with more? Or is my track record saying no, he can't trust me with even what he's given me?
Speaker 3: Am I looking ahead? Am I planning my spending?
Speaker 2: Am I procrastinating or acting quickly on getting out of debt? Do I need to face some facts and sell off some stuff and maybe even move Have I loved money instead of using money? Have I realized it's a spiritual test and that God can't trust me with spiritual power if he can't trust me with material possessions. But you say, Lord, I want the way I use my money to show that I love you most, that I trust you most. I know I can't serve two masters, and I choose you God to be God.
Speaker 3: In my life, not money.
Speaker 2: And help me to use it, to invest it, to spend it, to give it, to share it all. Wisely, help me to realize that the best investment is to in getting people into heaven. Lord, I know that my messed up finances are a symptom of a messed up life, and I need you to be the manager. I need you to come in and clean house. I've tried finances my way and they don't work. I want to do them your way. I want to learn your financial plan, and I don't want to wait any longer.
Speaker 3: I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a great message from Pastor Rick today, and I have some exciting news to share with you.
Speaker 4: For just a limited time, you can get the Daily Hope Devotional three hundred sixty five days of purpose, peace and Promise in a beautiful special leatherlook gift edition. This stunning keepsake volume brings together three hundred and sixty five of Pastor Rick Warren's most loved devotionals, each design to help you start your day with clarity, strength, and hope. Pastor Rickoten says, the most important decision you'll make each day is what you focus on, and this devotional will help you center your heart on God every day. You'll find a Bible verse to ground you in God's word and a short teaching to help you understand God's truth. So, whether you're seeking deeper peace, stronger faith, or a renewed sense of direction, this book provides a trusted framework to grow spiritually one day at a time. And because this leather look edition makes such a meaningful and lasting gift, it's also a powerful way to share God's love with the people you care about most. Be sure to request your copy today when you give a gift to help Daily Hope bring the Word of God to people all around the world. Just go to pastorick dot com to get your copy of.
Speaker 1: This great resource. That's Pastorick dot com. Or you can text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. Again, that's the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.