Speaker 1: All right, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Drivetime Friday afternoon, seven minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: Pretty temperate, pretty warm.
Speaker 2: It's about thirty eight thirty nine degrees, little cloudy here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Might have some snow up in the mountains this weekend, maybe early next week as we are preparing to turn our calendars to February. Gratulations, good work everybody, you made it. And it's weekend time. Congratulations, Happy Friday. A good sports weekend ahead, a lot of pro basketball, a lot of college basketball. We have the Utah women in action tonight. It's against Arizona just after six o'clock. That game can be seen on FS one and of course you can hear it right here on ESPN seven hundred. The Utah Hockey Club is back in action at home. It's been a busy week for the staff over at the Delta Center. Shout out to the staff at the Delta Center. After a Jazz game last night against Minnesota, quick turnaround to make sure the ice is ready to roll for the Utah Hockey Club taking on Columbus. Utah Men back in action tomorrow again. So Oklhomba State on the road three the next four games on the road for the youth. We're going to talk to Utah basketball on the program today, Bring them young back at action tomorrow on the road at UCF. The Jazz will host Orlando tomorrow afternoon at three o'clock Mountain time. If you're looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon, So a lot of basketball, a lot of pro basketball, a lot of college basketball on the program today. NBA Trade deadline, ride around the corner, Caitlin Clark says no to the NBA's infight to participate in the three point contest. And a fun night last night, welcoming back some old friends from the Utah Jazz past iteration Rudy Gobert, Joe Ingles, Mike Codley who did not play, Nikhil, Alexander Walker and the likes. So a lot of former Jazz players in the building last night. And here's a tease. I'm ready to tell you about a Jazz player who I like. Yep, that's right, and it's not Lowry. I'm ready to say today that one of the draft picks that have been made over the past two years is starting to show some signs of maybe a long term fit, long term player.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to do it today. I know, I know. It's been a.
Speaker 2: Tough year, tough, well, tough three years almost to cover this Jazz team, unseerious about winning. But a couple of interesting storylines I think are starting to emerge, So we'll get to it on the show today. Minnesota started running away from the Jazz after Julius Randall got hurt.
Speaker 1: You're next fan.
Speaker 2: One of the five Nick fans in the market, two are actually on the show, which is weird.
Speaker 1: You understand why that actually hits.
Speaker 2: Minnesota was not playing very well, Julius Randall got hurt, and then they ran away from the Jazz. So we'll talk some Jazz basketball, We'll talk some NBA basketball. Latest on the NBA trade deadline, the All Star reserves were released, and of course, as it happens every single year, the ringing of hands, the wailing and gnashing of teeth for the snubs. Gotta love the snubs, So we'll get to the with that. Of course, we are inching closer and closer to the final football game of the year, Super Bowl fifty nine, which, by the way, you can hear on our radio station we are your home of the biggest and best football events, both college and pro and the market. So right around the corner now a week from Sunday, February ninth, Super Bowl fifty nine between.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs and the Eagles.
Speaker 2: And it's always interesting to listen and watch to some of the coverage between the conference championship and the Super Bowl to see how people kind of make this interesting. The only real storylines of pro football right now are coaching staffs that are being filled, and of course some coaching staffs they still have holes. NFL free agency begins in March twelfth, if you want to dig into that. There are a lot of conversations going around as far as what can be next in pro football. So Happy Friday to you. Congratulations you made it. It is weekend time. We'll start things off on this Friday show with an old friend of mine played his college ball Utah State, played a little pro ball, did some jazz summer league stuff for a minute, and then went overseas and had a really good career and one of the nicest guys you're gonna meet, really good on the college basketball breakdowns at Spencer Nelson Oil Partner on Jazz pref and postgame shows once upon a time on the old station.
Speaker 1: We'll start things off today.
Speaker 2: One of the best to ever do it for the Utes and a Super Bowl champion himself to help Burgess stops by in the three o'clock hour. The head coach of the Utah men's basketball team, Craig Smith, will be our guest at three thirty.
Speaker 1: And then it is the triumph in return.
Speaker 2: After spending weeks and weeks and weeks in a skimpy bathing suit under the sun, well, I don't know if that's true, but Richard Smith has been gone traveling the world enjoying the sunshine. He is now back in studio. Started at four o'clock today. It's good day to ask Smitty on because we're gonna do a little a little content on the game last night with players that Smitty knows, with Rudy Gobert, Joe Ingles to Kill Alex Alexander Walker and Mike Comley back in town, and then gets Smitty's take on the current situation with Utah Jazz.
Speaker 1: The trade deadline right around the corner.
Speaker 2: Our guys spent forty years in the Utah Jazz front off, so what's going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: What are the conversations sound like.
Speaker 2: And I'll ask Smitty about the jazz player who I am ready to say I am on board with.
Speaker 1: I have been waiting and we're going to talk about that player today.
Speaker 2: So Spencer Nelson, Terrell Burgess, Craig Smith, Richard Smith, Me, Spence, check ITTs, all of you, the great listeners, Happy Friday, and that.
Speaker 1: Guy Utah outlaw expert.
Speaker 2: As we learned during the five o'clock hour yesterday Porter Larson on a Friday, how many sports talk radio shows can do twenty minutes on outlaws from the state of Utah dating back to the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Probably not very many. Probably not very many. We could and we could do more. I got like another several hours, but we'll talk sports today. Well we'll leave that for like a podcast or something.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, ultimately it was topical because the Utah Hockey Club announced that the utahle Laws were going to be an option for the name, and we had to educate the peeps. I'll tell you what on why that actually works.
Speaker 1: If they name the team.
Speaker 3: If that gets the name, I'll do like a full, a full deep dive and I'll like tell some stories that I've heard some cool stuff.
Speaker 2: What we'll do if Okay, So here's the deal. Here is our commitment and our pledge to you, the listeners. If the Utah Hockey Club becomes utile laws during one show, we will book zero guests and for four hours I will just ask porter questions about utile laws from the seventeen.
Speaker 1: Or eighteen hundreds. That is our pledge to you. That works for you, I'm on board. Ok maybe a couple guests.
Speaker 3: We'll do it for like half the shows, maybe like an hour segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, you don't want to do four hours where you're the one talking. M m yeah, how's it feel?
Speaker 3: But my concern is that if we do it on this space, we got to take commercial breaks.
Speaker 1: Oh you want four hours?
Speaker 3: No commercials, We'll do like a separate thing. Okay, no video, all right, just the informative deep dive.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: So if you missed that segment yesterday, I actually learned a lot from that dude in there. Whose third cousin is Billy the Kid or is it Jesse James.
Speaker 1: I don't remember Cassidy Buch Cassidy, well one of them.
Speaker 2: So utile Laws we'll see with the High Hockey Club is named after you all go through the motions of having your votes not counted but your emails captured by a qual tricks and then they're just gonna do whatever they want anyway. First guest today will be Spencer Nelson. But the ESPN seven hundred Cash Kickoff is here. It's time for your shot to win one thousand dollars in cash to pay your bills. That's dollar to five oh eight seven seven seven one thousand. That's dollar to five oh eight seven seven seven one thousand for a chance to win one thousand dollars in cash in this nation wide contest. Good luck from all of us at ESPN seven hundred. All right before we bring on my guy, Spencer Nelson, courtesy of our good friends and you're good friends too at Standard Restaurants Supply.
Speaker 1: It's your one stop shop for.
Speaker 2: All your tailgating needs online at Standard Restaurants Supply dot Com or they're convenient location here in downtown salig City, Utah.
Speaker 1: It's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check it's on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurants Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 2: Utah Jazz welcomed in some old friends last night to the building. The Minnesota Timberwolves rolling in in town. Minnesota, of course, a team that is interesting for us to cover here for a few reasons in the market, namely, the jazzone a lot of their draft capital, including that draft pick this year. And you know, Minnesota, unlike Cleveland, is a team that's been a little bit up and down.
Speaker 1: They've been a lot better as of late.
Speaker 2: And you know, that pick at one point looked like it may be a lottery pick. I never believed that that was going to be the case, but Minnesota was really up and down.
Speaker 1: They had some injury issues.
Speaker 2: Our guy Mike Conley did not play last night, and Mike, when he has played this year, simply looks like a point guard that is, his age doesn't look like it's really working for him much anymore.
Speaker 1: Joe Ingles barely plays for them.
Speaker 2: But covering Minnesota is always fun because of all the former Jazz players on that roster, and then the potential of the Jazz me maybe in a sneaky way, grabbing some good draft picks from Minnesota as a result of the Gobaar deal over the next four or five, six, seven years. So last night a couple of fun storylines to see the crowd chant for Joe Ingalls near the end of the game. I mean, Joe was one of the most beloved jazz men here. The narrative of him being like the voice of reason in that locker room actually is not very accurate. I could go into story time and details, but I'll leave most of that off air. But as far as endearing himself to the fans, he certainly did that because, as we've often said out on the show, even though he looks like he lives in his car, he turned out to be a very very good basketball player and started to evolve in a way that really changed that group. Because after Hayward left and Mitchell kind of elevated his game and Rudy was Rudy, the question was, well, who's going to be that other wing alongside Donovan, Because it would have been awesome if it was Gordon.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's one of the things you always look back on with that group.
Speaker 2: If Hayward would have stayed and everything else fell into place, that's a team that throws punches with any team in pro basketball. But while he never became p kward, you know the OKC series where he really took Paul George out of it, got in Paul George's head, evolved into a really dangerous outside shooter, broke Jazz records for three point shots made, and was a capable defense of a player because of his length and because.
Speaker 1: Of his intelligence.
Speaker 2: Certainly not an athlete doesn't move laterally and he's not gonna dunk on you. But I thought that was a really cool moment. Sounded like the fans gave Rudy Gobert a lot of love, and Rudy deserves it. His nine years here, I don't think he'll ever fully give the credit for the type of guy he was in the community and the type of impact he had on winning for Quinn's group. So nine years here, I don't think he sold his home. I think he still comes here quite a bit. I could be wrong about that. At one point he still sold us home and they had to had minutes between Gobert and Walker last night for all of you, you know media lackeys that at times like to say, well, Walker is all I could not get over well considering the sources. But Walker's rookie year after that trade went down, when you heard like mostly media members who worked for the team like Walker might be better than Rudy already.
Speaker 1: Now, like, give me a break with that.
Speaker 2: Walker still has a marathon in front of him to even be in Rudy's cul de sac.
Speaker 1: Rudy is a four time Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: He is a Hall of Famer, and last night Walker had a really rough game. Walker's had a really good year, but head to head against Gobert, it didn't even look like a fair fight.
Speaker 1: Rudy goes for sixteen points.
Speaker 2: He had nine boards, He had five assists and four blocks, six of eight from the floor, four of six from the line. Walker one of six from the floor. He did not shoot a free throw. He did have eight boards, couple of steals, zero block. Shots didn't really affect the game much. I don't know how much of it is knowing that you were traded for that player and you're going to try to prove people wrong head to head, but Rudy dominated that matchup. Anthony Edwards in the second half showed wid Minnesota does have a potential franchise piece. I mean, a lot of people believe Ant at the age of twenty three could be that, I'll say, domestic star that the league latches onto, because you know, there's no Michael Jordan, Lebron's is on his way out, Kevin Durant's on his way out, and a lot of the well, certainly a lot of the better players, if not the bigger stars in pro basketball right now are international players with Giannis and Jokic and Luca, and so a lot of conversation around pro around pro basketball. Who's the next domestic star that can kind of be the face of this league. It might be that kid you saw last night had a little bit of a rough first half, second half dominated.
Speaker 1: The flow of play.
Speaker 2: He's a two way player, He's a big kid that can really guard. And he took eighteen shots to score thirty six points. That's a rare thing in pro basketball. Six of nine from three, six of seven from the line, thirty six points, eleven assists, six sports three block shots for Anthony Edwards, who dominated the flow of play in the second half. Now, if you are a fan of the NBA, and if you follow the New York Knicks, you will not be surprised when I say to you, Minnesota flew when Julius Randall left the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Jazz.
Speaker 2: Actually we're up twenty five to ten, marking it hitting some shots and we'll get to Keyonte and but ultimately Minnesota looked a little bit disjointed. And it's not funny that Julius real got hurt, but it's kind of there. There's a little bit of irony that after Julius went out with the injury after ten minutes, Minnesota went on this eighteen or two run. You know, they brought in Naz Reid, who knocked down a couple of threes. Rob Dillingham, the rookie, had a really, really nice night, and ultimately Minnesota flies by the Jazz one thirty eight to one thirteen. The Jazz have now lost eight straight basketball games. We did see John Collins play, We saw Lowry Market and play.
Speaker 1: We saw for the most part, for the first.
Speaker 2: Time in a long long time, almost a first choice group for Will to pick from to play in that game, and so starting lineup John Collins, Lowry Markin and Walker Kestler, Colin Sexton, Isaiah Collier was that was the starting five. Drew Yu Banks, Kyle Philipowski, Bryce sense About, Jordan Clarkson, Kiante George all got more than double digit minutes off the bench.
Speaker 1: So Will went with ten players.
Speaker 2: Clarkson and Keyante went for twenty five and twenty seven minutes. The rotation is going to be interesting. The Jazz have the third most starting lineups in pro basketball. A lot of that is tanking, a lot of that is Hey, Larry, how's your ankle. He's like, Oh, it's fine. He's like, no, it's not, Sorry it hurts. You're not playing tonight. But last night was kind of a first choice group. So I was interested to see a how they would play against a really good team in the West and be how Will would go about as rotations. But Porter, I am ready, okay, I'm ready on a Friday to tell you that I think the Jazz have found something. Now we've talked a lot about the go Bear trades, the Mitchell trades. Everybody's saying, wow, what a great trade by the Jazz. Well, right, now the Mitchell excuse me, the go Bear trade with Minnesota is Walker Caster and Keyante George in exchange for Rudy.
Speaker 1: They have other picks.
Speaker 2: We'll see what they turn into, but right now, that's not a trade that's lopsided on the Jazz side of things. And then the Mitchell trade brings a bunch of different pieces, including Larry Marketing. And I've said throughout the course of this rebuild, i feel like the Jazz have found one thing, and that one thing is Loarry Marketing.
Speaker 1: And I'm ready to tell you that I think they found another thing. Okay, are you ready? I am. Do you have any guesses on what you're confident about?
Speaker 2: What you're There's a there's another player that I think the Jazz have found that actually is starting to show some things that I think are real in pro basketball. I've always said, right, so far it's Lowry, and I have questions about everybody else.
Speaker 1: And I'm ready to say I think they found another guy.
Speaker 2: It is not Bryce Sensible, it is who I think is there not only their new starting point guard now, but potentially an answer to that position moving forward, in Isaiah Callier. So Isaiah has thirteen starts on the year. Will Hardy over the past three four four games now has brought Keyante George off the bench, and to start the season, the preferred backcourt was Keyanty George and Colin Sexton. Okay, as Will talked about during some media availability, he needs more from Keyante George and they have to figure out who Keyante George is as a legitimate player in pro basketball for a team that's actually trying to win. And I can promise you what he's not. He's not a starting point guard for a good team in pro basketball.
Speaker 1: He just isn't.
Speaker 2: Never played point guard. We've already talked about this. He doesn't have league guard tendencies. Who I think Keyante is when he's fully baked and everything is kind of you know, it turned out the best possible scenario for him is a dynamic, combo scoring guard off the bench, and that's I think what Will's is starting to see as well. And so they're trying to figure out if that's kind of a role for Keyante and look, to be fair, Keyante was tasked with a lot last year as a rookie player, like okay, you're going to be our starting point guard. They decided that early on, and there were moments where it looked really good, really exciting. I don't think it ever looked good from a decision making standpoint. I don't think it ever looked good from a defensive standpoint. He might be the worst defensive player on one of the worst defensive teams in basketball. But as we've seen from Donovan now in Cleveland, when he says out loud, hey, I'm trying to play defense now, and all of us are like, sweet, pal, thanks, you can eventually learn how to go about your business of becoming at least a good team defender, even if you're not a great point of attack defender. And the point of attack defense for the Jazz is atrocious, whether it's Clarkson, whether it's Keyante. You know, most of their perimeter players colin section are not great defensive players. Some of them are undersize, some of them don't try. I do see a lot of don't try in this team, which at times can be frustrating. But I think Danny ings Justin'sannik as the evaluators, and Will Hardy as the head coach. I think they have something an Isaiah Callier something that I'm not sure I saw initially coming out of high school, Isaiah was potentially the top recruit out of high school. He went to Southern cal for one year under Andy Enfield. BRODDI James was on that team, and the more that you heard about how kind of chaotic that was behind the scenes, the more you kind of understand, like, maybe it's not fair to analyze any of these players from that one year, but I think Justin and Danny did their due diligence and when he was available, they decided to go grab him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: He ultimately was the twenty ninth pain in the first round, second to last pick, and I think, you know, the Jazz were seriously considering not even making it, you know, not even getting involved. But when Isaiah fell, much like bry sense about the year before, I think they did their calculation and feel like there was enough there to take a shot on them. And really, since he's been in the starting lineup, I mean, when you look at some of these splits last night, eleven point seven assists did have four turnovers five to seven from the floor.
Speaker 1: He has to improve his outside shot.
Speaker 2: He's about a twenty seven percent three point shooter, but these numbers are just solid twelve points nine assists, six boards against Golden State twelve points, eight assists, only one turnover. The turnovers are problematic for every guard that the Jazz have, including this young point guard. He just has lead guard tendencies that nobody else has outside of Patty Mills, and that would have been awesome ten years ago, but it does nothing for us now against New Orleans overtime twenty points eleven assists. Obviously, the overtime situation inflates the numbers. Double double against Charlotte eleven points, ten assists, twenty three point seven assists against Brooklyn. Since he has been inserted in the starting lineup and Will has been given him big minutes, there's a lot to like about Isaiah Collier, and I think there's more to like about his potential than, in my opinion, maybe every other young player on the roster, because as I talked about, they have something in Lowry.
Speaker 1: Certainly they have something in Lowry.
Speaker 2: That's why they maxed him out, and ultimately, if they can surround him with some help before his prime is over, then we'll actually see what it looks like. I think it's safe to say Walker Castler has played himself into the future of this franchise, and I think it's time.
Speaker 1: To say Isaiah Isaiah Callier has.
Speaker 2: A chance to be something in pro basketball that I'm not sure I saw early on. He is a big body kid that can really get downhill, finishes well at the rim, and at least he's big and strong enough physically on the defensive side where he provides some pushback at the at the point of attack.
Speaker 1: It's much better than Keyante, much better.
Speaker 2: So I'm ready to say today and we're gonna get some thoughts from our guests that I think Isaiah Qullier may have played himself into a situation where we have to analyze him as part of the future. Improve on that outside shot, improve on the decision making. He averages about three and a half turnovers a game, that's way too high, but over the past thirteen fourteen games, ten points, eight assists, again, four turnovers, but about four boards, and really a guy who I think has played himself into consideration for potentially the future of the Utah Jazz. All Right, we're gonna bring in Terrell Burgess coming up in just a little bit, former youthe Super Bowl champ on the program today and then we're gonna bring in Craig Smith, head coach of the Utes. He'll stop by as well, Richard Smith live in studio. So a busy, busy show on the program today, But got my rundown put me in a good mood on a Friday, not just because it's Friday, but my man, my friend, my guy who hasn't joined us in a long time. But we'll do some college basketball whatever else comes our way with the legend Utah State pro Hooper overseas and my former part on Utah pre effing Post Spencer Nelson on a Friday.
Speaker 1: Happy Friday, my friend, how we been.
Speaker 5: H Spence check. It's so good to be talking to you. It has been a long time.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 5: Of all the introductory things you said, the one I'm most proud of is being your partner on the pre half in post that was it? The overseas YadA, YadA, YadA YadA, Britton Johnson's friend. That doesn't matter as sent to me. But the fact that you said I was your partner on the pre half and post touches my heart.
Speaker 2: Well, that means a lot. You're lying, but thank you for saying that. But I need to start here because I don't know. Man, I just want to let you know that I'm reading this book about anti gravity, okay, and it's impossible.
Speaker 1: To put down. It's not funny. It's not funny. It's not funny.
Speaker 6: It is funny.
Speaker 7: Hey, all of your listeners, Okay, they're shaking their head and laughing at this same time, they're like speds, How could you say that joke on their But yet they love it. Everyone loves a good dad joke. I love that joke. Great, great material we like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to we need to give our listeners context. You know, when you do late night postgame radio, you get a little slap happy, and so our guy Spencer and Nelson would entertain us with dad jokes that did not land oftentimes with Britton Johnson, but I always appreciated them.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. Thank you will. I mean there is a certain amount of intellectual horsepower required to truly appreciate it dad joke you and I have that. Britt is just different. He's just built differently. Don't they have T shirts hashtag built different?
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: I love Internet or intellectual horsepower. Every time we do, every time we talk, you drop something that I steal from you.
Speaker 1: So I'm stealing that.
Speaker 5: I like that. Yeah, great, great phrase. Intellectual horsepower is a good one.
Speaker 1: How's your world, man, what's going on with you? What's what's the deal these days?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 5: Life is good, working and family and I mean, you know, the Drill kids are getting older, which I'm grateful for. But at the same time, I don't want them to leave the house, which when they were kids, I would little I would have thought that was that wouldn't be the case. But now they're teenagers in their blast to hang out with, so that's really good. And then the Aggies are rolling, So still doing radio for the Aggis and that's been a lot of fun. And man, living the dream.
Speaker 1: It's been good, very nice. So let's do We'll do some local college hoops.
Speaker 2: I want to jump around a little bit, and we'll start with Utah State, but we'll start with their question from a thirty thousand foot view before we get into topics in a vacuum? What is it about the basketball culture up there where it's almost like like my next gig, Spencer, I want to coach Utah State for one year and then cash in on a big on a big contract and then screw that job up and just retire. Like what's the deal about the culture up there that just breeds basketball and has for like twenty or thirty years.
Speaker 5: I am more than happy to put a good word in to you. I don't know if it goes any far, but here's the reality. The spectrum is magical. US has a great tradition. I mean, we go back to Stu. But you know Craig, Ryan, Danny and now Jared. But I will say we've got to give the administration a lot of credit over the last four hires. Like Craig's a great basketball coach, and I know you toass how it struggles and that kind of stuff, but he is a he is a good ball coach. And let's give Tim Durry some props because he had a lot of good pieces. And then Craig brought Nemi in and he was and he did a great job of coaching those guys. Ryan Otam, you see what he's doing at VCU. But before then, you know he's a good basketball coach. Daddy sprinkle Man, good basketball coach, very different than the previous two, but a good coach. And I got to tell you, I don't know how much interaction you've been able to have with Jared Calhoun. But man, he's a good coach. I really like him. He's a Bobby Huggin. He's from the Bobby Huggins tree, and I mean he speaks truth. He's tough, but he has a good relationship with the kids, and I think he's a really good coach. And so honestly, I think coaching does deserve a lot of credit. That the narrative is, man, you can plug anyone in, but these guys are are good basketball coaches. So administration has done a good job. And then the pieces that have stuck around. Now, Danny's amazing thing was no one stuck around and he was able to do it. I guess Mace was here, so that's not completely true Mason and Fish, but from the other ones, I mean it's huge that Jared got Ian and Mason and Fish and Carson templan to stick around and those guys are playing well. And then inter brought in some great transfers. So Utah State does have a great tradition, a lot of winning. I mean going back to Stu, but Larry and Rod and those guys. But these guys are good coaches and you got to give them credit for what they're doing.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent, And obviously I was being a bit facetious, but just seems like coach takes over and boom, everyone has questions, and more often than not, the teams near the top of the conference, they're either qualifying for or threatening to be an NCAA tournament team. And it's just wildly impressive because the basketball culture in Saul Lake is rich with history, but it's been a rough stretch for not just Craig but other coaches too. We'll get there in a moment, but I wanted to follow up about Jared Calhoun, who I don't know outside of just listening. I love listening to coaches post game because the ones that don't want to get pithy and sarcastic actually do teach you. And you know, I think he has been impressive. He seems a little bit more mentally balanced than his.
Speaker 1: Mentor.
Speaker 2: Bob Huggins a great coach, but you never knew if you didn't know what Huggy Bear was gonna do night in and night out. Jared doesn't strike me as that type of guy, but as you've been able to get to know him, both on and off the floor. What makes him who he is as a coach and a person, and schematically, how does he like basketball to be played?
Speaker 5: So I think, you know, as a person, he comes off and everything I know. I mean a family man. He's got a wonderful family. He's got daughters who are involved in sports and getting involved in the community, and just really good people. Zero ego. Like that's probably the first thing the first time I met him, he just came across as extremely down to earth and zero ego, which I really appreciated. And then from the standpoint, I think that carries over to the players when I see him interact with the player with the players, same thing, zero ego. Just really straight of who he is and comfortable with that. And I think in a world of a lot of facade and things that aren't real because of social media and that kind of stuff, I think people and appreciate someone that hey, this is who I am, and I'm comfortable with who I am, And so the players see that and I think they respect it. From the way he coaches schematically, you know, the big thing at the beginning of the season was the matchup zone. It's a very unique matchup zone that he runs, and he's got a couple different zones and kind of hybrid versions of it. But the thought was, Okay, not a lot of teams are going to be able to be prepared for this because it's a one off compared to the other twenty nine games they're playing this season, and so we're going to be able to kind of throw teams off with that. Early on, they were I think conference team. At least the guys that I've seen are more and more comfortable. UNLV was very comfortable with their matchup zone. And one thing that I love is that he's not so stubborn that he won't adapt and he has gone demand at different points in times, which I don't think that's his default of where he wants to go. But this team is actually a good man, de man defense team. Now they're only playing at a few minutes a game at times, but yet they are able to switch that up and that has given them some flexibility to throw other teams out of rhythm and not get used to just playing against the zone offensively. And every coach in the country says this, we want to run, run, run, run, run, but literally that he does, I mean you ONLB plays a slow pace. Every time that rebound is coming, Calhoun is swinging his arms and telling the guards to push it, push it, push it, which opens up easy opportunities for buckets in the paint, layups, dugs. This team actually has a lot more athleticism than you would think, and they've taken advantage of that, and so it's fast paced. And then I would say, just quick hitters. It's get out and transition and if you got to play in the half court, then it's going to be motioned. But a ton of quick hitting sets to get ian and I think there's a little bit of a pro mentality from there that I like, Like he is specifically targeting guys that he wants to get the ball in certain positions and then let them make a play. And Ian Martinez has done a good job throughout the season. He struggled against UNLV Mason has done a good job, and teams are adapting to that. But get the ball in the guy's hands, which is a very pro mentality, and then hey, do what you do. And I think the players have really liked the freedom and flexibility to play that way as well.
Speaker 2: And also their shot profile appears to be a modern day shot profile as far as what the numbers tell you need to do to win basketball games. Of the ten or eleven guy Spencer, he plays, you know, more than ten minutes a night. Seven of them seem like they can shoot it from the outside. And you know, it's not like they hunt it in the way that the Celtics do, but it does seem like offensively, the shot profile is a modern day approach to analytically winning basketball games.
Speaker 1: Is that kind of driving with what you're seeing?
Speaker 6: Totally?
Speaker 5: Yep. They got a bunch of shooters, now, some of them better than others. Absolutely. Carson Templan went on a streak and he struggled. Maybe who they thought was going to be the best shooter in the year. Tucker Anderson has really struggled. He's a conundrum in the sense he's shooting like I don't quote me on this, it was like seventeen percent from the three point line at home and then like thirty six on the road. And last year he shot high thirties coming from Arkansas. So he's really struggled. But Ian man Ian Martinez takes and makes really tough shots. Mason Falslove has shot it better. Drake Allen struggled a little early on but has really got a swag. And then the guy who's been the most consistent shooter is their sixth man, dexter Ocano transfer from Oregon State. That's been I mean, he's been huge for him and really consistent providing a boost off the bench. But he shot it at a really high level. So your analysis is exactly.
Speaker 6: Right, Spence.
Speaker 5: They shoot, They don't hunt it crazily, but they they got the guys to be able to shoot it if it's open, and they move the ball so well that it's open often enough that they're putting up a good number of threes.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move over to uts now in Craig Smith, who, as you referenced once upon a time, was up in Logan did a.
Speaker 1: Really good job.
Speaker 2: Craig as won wherever he's been and this is year four for Craig, and I think it's a five year contract, so look, the pressure is real and he knows this. We're gonna have Craig on the show in just on an hour from right now. And you know, there are pieces on this roster that individually at times I really really like, and you know, I'm gonna ask Craig about his rotation. He's tinkered quite a bit with a bunch of different starting lineups, a bunch of different rotations. Gabe Matts in their leading scorer. I mean, teams just sell out on him and he has no space at all. So you look at the numbers, is thirty one percent from three? It's like, what gives? It's like, well, everybody's gapping them and blitzing them off screens, ball screens, and he's got to find a way to be smarter with his decisions. He's been better as of late. They were finited, they were picked to finish last the Big Twelve. They're four and five right now. They had a nice win here at home over Brigham Young. They're gonna be on the road to Oklahoma State. The Houston game didn't even it was not even.
Speaker 1: A fair fight, like it was just rough.
Speaker 2: And so look, it's a tough conference obviously, But what do you make of I'll say, what you know whether or not you feel like there's progress being made down here, and what you know about Craig, do you feel like still this is the guy to get this thing back to where it needs to be.
Speaker 5: Great question. So just a couple thoughts. When I saw Utah was finished last pick to finish last in the Big Twelve, I laughed, No, Craig Smith is going to finish last. Team is going to finish last. He's just too good of a coach. And I know people will be like, well, they're not winning a lot. You may not have the guys or the horses to finish in the top three, and they don't. They obviously don't. But his guys are going to play hard and are going to be well coached, and they're just not going to finish last in the league. I laugh at that, just because a well coached team and if they play hard for you, and I know those guys aren't gonna quit, they're not going to finish last. However, it is it's a matter of and you know this, in the Big Twelve or in any of the power conferences, it's it's pros. It's it's how can you get one NBA guy on your team? Can you get two? If you If you can get one, you're going to finish in the top half of the league for sure. If you can get two NBA guys on your team, are pros legitimate pros. Then you're going to compete for a conference championship in the Big Twelve. But if you don't have two pros on your team, you're not. And you look at Houston, you look at Kansas, you look at Iowa State. I mean that it just plays out that way and then a really good supporting cast and you know, you talk about gage match, and you're right, guys are selling out, Teams are selling out and taking away. That thirty one percent is the threes he's taking. I mean, ninety percent of them are really hard threes to be taking. He'll get some open looks occasionally, but they're very different looks than some of the other dudes on the team are taking. I think the BYU win at home was huge in terms of excitement and you know, I'm not saving your job, That's not the right way to say it, but just reinforcing hey, I'm the guy to do this. I can be here and I can be successful here. And then they have some good wins against you know, the middle and the bottom half of the Big Twelve, and that's where I think Craig has to continue to win those games, and I think that he will, and they ultimately where they finished, They finished like ninth in the Big Twelve which has sixteen teams, right, and so they're finishing middle, top, top of the bottom type of thing just because they don't have the guys. And it's a whole different world now to go get the guys, right. I mean, everyone's talking about what's going down in Utah County byus paying this amount of money for their for their team. It's professional sports now, and I think the other challenge for Craig is just allocating the right money to the right guys who can produce. And that's a challenge in and of itself. And so guys that are getting paid money on Utah's team, they're not producing, So what happens to them? And how do you take care of the guys that are producing next year to keep them around. It's a huge challenge. But I think he's a good ball coach. I time will tell I don't have a strong opinion if he's going to be able to turn the ship around, because there's a lot of Utah that's got to be turned around in just momentum and excitement from where it was when you and I were around, you know, playing and growing up. It's just a very different environment up there right now.
Speaker 2: And you know he is going to get a chance to see this thing through next season because, according to Cassel reported today, the Utah Athletics reported a seventeen million dollar deficit this past year. Now, you dig into the numbers what they receive from the state and it's not necessarily like, hey, we only lost seventeen mil and the football team and the basketball team are still profitable. But ultimately, I don't think they're going to pay Craig to not coach next year. So I do think he is going to get one more year.
Speaker 1: But let me.
Speaker 2: Follow up with something you kind of alluded to, because, look, the bottom line is, in the modern day and age of college athletics, whether it's football or basketball or even other sports, you have to have your collective in order to be able to attract talent and be able to pay the players that you need to get here. So you have the horses, and from my vantage points, Betzer, almost every single night, almost every single night in this conference, Craig is going to have a coach on the other side that simply has more talent.
Speaker 1: That's my opinion. Give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with you most every night. Maybe not every night, but most every night in the big twelve given right now. Now, when I heard the numbers, and I don't want to say publicly because I don't have anything verified, I was actually pleasantly prize at the number that I heard that Utah had for their collective. I was like, Wow, that's more. Now it's a matter of just allocating it to the right guys and being able to go get them. Is it less than, you know, the number that you hear from the valley or from Utah County?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is it more than the number that you hear up in logan yes? Type of things. So it's the collective matters. What you're paying dudes matters. And that's a whole nother conversation. But you're right, you have to go get it. And I may have said this to you before, but it's interesting. I had this kind of epiphany moment where in Europe. It's funny I played with a bunch of different guys in Europe and the same is true now. Is I still stay decently connected to it? There are not a ton of dudes. There are some, but there are not a ton of dudes that played at the blue bloods that are playing in Europe. A few. I mean I played with John Shire and the Deuhan was over there for a little bit. I mean, there are a few, but what it kind of opened my eyes to. The elite teams in college basketball are one of two things, and most of it is the latter. Either really old and really experienced, or they've got a couple pros on their team surrounded by good college basketball players but not great college players that are going to go play professional and the impact of having I mean, you look at what Craig did at Utah State. Great coach, but he had two pros, right, He had Nimi and he had Sam Marrow. Of course he's going to win a conference championship in the Mountain West. And San Diego State, by the way, had one NBA dude and then a couple of European pros on their team, so they were really stacked as well. But in the Big twelve, that's what it comes down to is how many pros do you have? How many NBA level guys do you have on their team? Because I guess if we're going to play on words, all of them are pros now because they're getting played, the getting paid to play basketball, so they're not amateurs anymore. So I'll articulate it better and say, how many NBA level dudes do you have on your team? And right now they don't have any, right, that's just the fact of the matter. And a decent number of the Big twelve does have an NBA guy, or they've got some European pros. And there's probably a couple of European prosts. He had Brandon Carlson in the last couple of years, which was a pro And so can you go get those dudes, because you're right right now, you just don't have We talked about intellectual horsepower, he doesn't have the basketball horsepower to go and finish in the top three or top five of the conference.
Speaker 2: Right now, Let's move down to provo here and talk about a coach that certainly has the horsepower because the collective is stepped up. According to reports, both yeg or Demon and Canon Catching's are seven figure players for Kevin Young and Cannon had a really nice game against Baylor in Provo, but prior to that it didn't look great.
Speaker 1: You can tell why pro scouts love yeg Or.
Speaker 2: I mean he's really long, he's really big, he's got a good feel, he can see over the defense, and he's averaging six assists a game.
Speaker 1: Three point shot hasn't been great.
Speaker 2: For him, but you can see why scouts love Diegor and over the past few games they've started to figure some things out. Mostly it's a make or miss team in a lot of ways, but three straight wins after that loss to Utah, they've won four or five. I think Ken Palm has them of like thirty eight in the net and thinks they're going to be an NCAA tournament team. But I mean, talk about a coach that does have horses. But when you have the talent on paper, Spencer, you got to prove you can coach, right, So what are your thoughts on what DYU has done this year and what do you think they can do the rest of the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, expectations mean everything.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: Going into the football season, I think people had really low expectations and Colonne blew it out of the water. Going into the basketball season, extremely high expectations and they've done well. But because those expectations are so high and the dollar figures you here throwing around, you're like Okay, that's going to happen. I think Bill finish Well, I think toughness and physicality have been an issue. I'm sure they're addressing it and that they've got to address it even more. You know, when they went to Providence early in the season and just got just beat up, and I don't mean from a score standpoint, just physically just outmanned. And you've seen that occur. But that's gonna happen when you've got a bunch of freshmen, I mean, and you're playing those dudes, and they're gonna have to get tougher. They're gonna have to get more physical, and especially when you get into the second half of conference and you get to the conference tournament than the NCAA tournament, toughness, I mean, toughness always wins out. And so that's been kind of the question mark, is how tough that team is, and early on I would say not very tough. I think they're getting tougher. I think kind of the the bigger picture for BYU, and it's going to be fascinating. You know, are they going to continue down the one and done NBA almost like John Calipari program strategy and just continue to try to go after those dudes or are they going to spread that money around a little bit more and hit the transfer port of more and instead of paying the dude whatever three million, four million, five million, I who knows exactly, spread out amongst two or three dudes that have played at other Division one schools and pay them seven fifty to a million. But they've proven that they can do it already, and I think that's going to be really interesting to see how they play out, not just for this year, but I'm talking about from a program level. Are they really going to go all in on the one and done model or are they going to try to fine tune it? And a lot will depend on the success this year and next year. If they don't have success, And when I when you're paying that kind of money for a team, I mean you're winning games in the NCAA tournament. In my mind, I mean that's if people are putting seven figures into guys. That's the expectation. And if they do that, they probably continue to go down the one and done model. If they don't, then it'll be interesting to see if they pivot and try to spread it more with maybe less sexy, less flashy names, but guys that have you know, go get three or four dudes that have averaged thirteen or fourteen a game at other D one schools and showed that they can do it, and then you go that, hey, let's get old model and let's compete that way. So it'll be interesting, very talented, great coaching staff, a lot of money behind it.
Speaker 2: Last thing, your thoughts on the number one prospect not just in the class next year, but according to a lot of advanced scouts analyzing aj Debanta, he's probably the best prospect in three or four classes. And I always get a kick out of seeing people learn about BYU in real time. So he goes on first tag with his dad and announces BYU is the landing spot, and Steven A.
Speaker 1: Smith has never looked more confused.
Speaker 2: But they are going to have four or five months for the price of seven million dollars a generational prospect down in Provo.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that the amount of buzz and the amount of hype. I mean I was messaging with birds, you know, leading up to that, and they all along thought that they were a serious contender, and he felt like it was going to come down to them and k State and KU. I guess Kansas made a huge run at the end, but they felt like they had a legitimate chance and sure enough it wasn't delusion whatsoever they did. And huge get. I don't know the kid at all personally, only have seen him from a basketball perspective, and yeah, extremely talented for his size, his athleticism, his skill set is shooting ability. I mean, so we talked about pros making the difference. He's a pro that can make the difference and he will be, I mean more than likely next year the most talented dude to step on the floor every time, b what you steps on the court. It doesn't necessarily mean he's the best player, but for sure the most talented guy on the court in this in terms of the ceiling and what he's capable of doing. So huge get for them, and then it'll be a matter of I mean you know this, you were around the NBA. When you have that kind of talent, coaching matters for sure. That managing egos, managing personalities, managing the locker room become equally as important. And so whether it's the pat Riley or a Phil Jackson, I mean, Kevin young, and fortunately he's from the pros and so he understands and has been around the managing of those egos and those personalities is just as important to keep the culture and the chemistry of a team together. And that'll be really important when you start getting that kind of talent in the house.
Speaker 2: You know, Spencer, you're a father, so chances are you make breakfast at times for your kids.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 5: I Actually, you'd be proud of me. I'm making smoothies for my kids every morning.
Speaker 1: Nice moothie. Nice.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, yeah, but yeah, I make breakfast.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I'm just saying, like when my son's in town, I like to make eggs for breakfast. And I just realized something recently, and I just wanted to share with you that you really have to watch what you say around those egg whites because they just can't take a yolk.
Speaker 1: It's not funny. It's not funny.
Speaker 6: It is hey. And you know what I was gonna say to you, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't know.
Speaker 7: I didn't know how to make a banana split.
Speaker 6: But guess where I went.
Speaker 5: Guess where I went to learn how.
Speaker 6: To make a banana split.
Speaker 1: I don't know where'd you go?
Speaker 6: I went to Sunday School.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Okay, now that's good. That's quality. That's quality. That's quality stuff.
Speaker 2: That's that's what George Costanza calls leaving out a high note, my friends, I'll set you loose.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure to hear your voice.
Speaker 5: Be well, Okay, Bence, you're the man. Appreciate you and keep up the great work. It's an awesome show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: The great Spencer Nelson pro hooper overseas was a great player in college at Utah State.
Speaker 1: Always appreciate his time.
Speaker 2: Itching closer and closer to Super Bowl fifty nine between the Chiefs and the Eagles, the final football game of the year.
Speaker 1: Never a bad time to talk football.
Speaker 2: Friend of the show joining us now one of the best to ever do it at the youth Super Bowl champ. Great to have Terrell Burgess back on the program. Terrell, Happy Friday, man, How are we doing?
Speaker 9: Happy Friday?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 9: I'm doing well.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm well, I'm well. I appreciate the time. Appreciate the time today. So let's obviously, you know, we'll get to some ute stuff and we'll do some you know, the latest with you, But I wanted to ask you, just from your vantage point as somebody who's done this on the highest of levels, what stands out most about the way the Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes specifically has been able to kind of change our approach throughout the years, to simply figure out a way to win, no matter, you know, no matter what the style is. Because back in the day, as you know, it just was high powered, big plays, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelsey, and now he just he's kind of grown into this cerebral thinker.
Speaker 1: From your vantage point, what impresses you the most?
Speaker 9: I think just their ability to find ways to win, just like you said, I think, and I'm not no football guru. I'm just you know, a young kid that's been playing football most of his life. But I would just say, like from my point of view, from the teams that have not been able to beat them in the playoffs or like been able to stop them from getting to the big game, I think it's just everyone tries to like beat them at like their game, and like trying, in my opinion, like trying to beat them at their game is not going to work because they've been there, They've been in that situation many times before. Whether they have new receivers or not, like new new skill players or not, they're still finding ways to win. And I mean they're playing well on defense as well. That's going to help. And I think when your defense is playing well and you know, like you guys could have a one or two off drives and your quarterback has the ability to go down and score every drive, it's just good all around and it just helps the team play better at all times.
Speaker 2: So the AFC Championship game, Buffalo gets the ball with about three and a half left in three timeouts.
Speaker 1: Did you think they were gonna get it done?
Speaker 2: Did you think it was finally going to be Josh a chance to break through or did you feel like that was the Chiefs game kind of all along?
Speaker 9: I thought Josh and the boys were going to do it, to be honest to you. When I saw the clock at when the when the Chiefs had hit their field goal, I said, Oh, that's too much time. There's no way the Bills don't score here. But because I felt like they were driving all game, I felt like they had a better command on that game than the Chiefs did.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 9: From my point of view. But I guess you know I was wrong, and the Chiefs maybe the Super Bowl, but yeah, no, I definitely thought Josh and them, we're going to score and win the game.
Speaker 2: So the easy thing for lazy media people to say is because Josh Allen hasn't broken through, and because Patrick Mahomes is only twenty nine, it's gonna be tough for Josh to ever get it done. And luck we've seen it trelle in Pro football, Peyton Manning. I think it was oh to six versus Tom Brady to start his career, and he eventually broke through and got a couple you think. See, I just feel like Josh is too good to never actually get it done.
Speaker 1: And you never know what's going to happen with the Chiefs or any other team.
Speaker 2: But what are you willing to say about Josh's chances to at some point maybe break through and get a Super Bowl or maybe multiple.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, no, I definitely think he's got the ability.
Speaker 5: I think if you.
Speaker 9: See the way he's played this year, in over the last few years, just as a whole, he's got the capability of breaking through. I think they just I think they have the pieces.
Speaker 5: They just got to get.
Speaker 9: Over that hump, whatever that hump is. I'm not the person to make that decision, but I think I think he'll break through. And it obviously won't be this year, it could not be next year, but I'm sure by the end of his career. And I'm not saying like ten years down the road when he's finishing it's gonna be his last year. It could happen in the next couple but I definitely think he'll break through. I don't know what it'll take, but as long as he keeps playing the way he's playing and they keep the right guys around them, I'm sure they'll break through.
Speaker 2: I'm also contractually obligated to ask you about Lamar Jackson if we're gonna do lazy media narratives Torell, because of course it's the same thing with him, right, like, potentially could win another MVP, which would be three, and then playoff time rolls around it, and look, there's no shame in going up the Buffalo and nearly beating.
Speaker 1: An awesome team.
Speaker 2: But got the same question about Lamar as somebody who's played against him and is familiar with him, do you think he ever breaks through and gets his.
Speaker 9: I do think that he does. I think for some reason, I don't know what it is about the Ravens. They've they've usually had had a good defense, and now I'm not gonna necessarily say it's their offense their defense at not making it. But I definitely think, just like Josh, I think he's definitely gonna break through. The Ravens will break through. It just is I don't know what it's gonna take right now, obviously, like I'm sure there will be guys that retire from the Chiefs in the next couple of years, so that maybe that could help. I don't think that the Chiefs are like unbeatable. I just think that I guess no one has found a way to beat them in the playoffs in the last seven years besides Tom Brady, So I don't know. It's a tough one.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you about your impressions, because you know, Jayden Daniels was out here in the Pac twelve footprint, which is dead unfortunately there's no such thing now, but you know I'll use at Arizona State before transferring LSU, winning the Heisman and then bursting on the scenes. Were you surprised to see how poised and mature he was all year. What'd you make if you're one in Washington With Jayden Daniels.
Speaker 9: I remember when we were recruiting him to come to Utah, and I knew that he wanted to play right away, but we obviously had Tyler still there and we had a couple of quarterbacks in the room, so I knew it would be tough for him to play early at Utah. But I remember when he was being recruited and I was like, Oh, this kid's pretty good. But we played him with he was at Arizona State. He was young, but needless to say, I wouldn't say I was surprised. I would say that a lot of people with his last two years at LSU, I think a lot of people thought that he was going to come into the league and probably just run all the time, like just be a running quarterback and not throw very well. But I think a lot of people were surprised by his ability to throw the ball. He just he played really well all around, and I'm looking forward to see how he does in the future, because I think he's had a great start to his career and it's only up from here.
Speaker 2: So I thought Philly would beat them, but I thought it would be close, and it was not close.
Speaker 1: Philly overwhelmed them.
Speaker 2: And look, it was a great accomplishment for Washington and Jayden Daniels. The Washington organization has not been to a conference championship game in thirty three years, So if he was able and they were able to get that done, they would have been way ahead of schedule.
Speaker 1: So I'm not surprised to see Philly in this spot.
Speaker 2: But what stands out most to you about an Eagles team Terrell did a lot of people believe is the most talented team in all of pro football.
Speaker 9: I would have to say, well, we could just go based off the the NFC championship game. And this is something that you know, a good friend of mine, Scout, used to always talk about and one of my high school coaches just always say this, but like, the line of scrimmage is a very important thing in football, and I think the Eagles just found a way to win the line of scrimmage. They they ran the ball very well. I think they had what six rushing touchdowns in that game or something like that. And if you can't stop the run in football, I think it's it's going to be a long day, so I'll start there. Their their running beings has been very good from all their running backs, especially obviously Saquan Jalen Hurts is running really well, and they could they can throw the balls as well. So I think all around there playing well. Their their defense is playing well, and I think they've got a good shot to beat the Chiefs. It'll probably be tough, but I mean, that's that's what football is for.
Speaker 8: You don't want anything to be a cakewalk, all right, Terrell Bird just the safety Okay, You're you're standing there in a running back is broken free from the line and you have to tackle either Sae Kwon Barkley or Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: Who are you choosing who's tougher to deal with?
Speaker 6: I don't really.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't say that I fear either of them, but I mean.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I mean, they're both really good running backs. I'd probably take I would take either of them, whichever.
Speaker 10: One there you go.
Speaker 9: I mean, like, if I'm being honest. One thing, this is another thing Sky used to always say, was limit the damage, So I would They haven't made a man to run with that leg, So that's where I'm shooting, and I would just do my best to not get hurtled at the same time.
Speaker 1: I like that, all right.
Speaker 2: Chiefs Eagles super Bowl fifty nine, Kansas City is a one point five point favorite.
Speaker 1: The line hasn't moved. I thought there would be money one way or the other.
Speaker 2: But it opened up at one point five and that was five days ago and it stayed a one point five. Here's how I'll pose the question. I'll start here, the Eagles win super Bowl fifty nine.
Speaker 1: If what.
Speaker 9: The Eagles win super Bowl fifty nine, if they can if they can run the ball the way they've been running, the Eagles win super Bowl fifty nine, and not saying that they can't pass the ball win. They definitely can pass the ball win. But if they run the ball and they find a way to get let's say, one hundred and fifty to two hundred yards rushing, I don't know, collectively, not just by one person. I think I think it'd be pretty tough for the Chiefs to win the game in my opinion.
Speaker 2: And the Chiefs win Super Bowl fifty nine, and we see a three pat.
Speaker 9: If what the Chiefs win super Bowl fifty nine, if they can, like on contrary to what I just said, contain the Eagles in their rushing game and play the way they've been playing in the Super Bowl in the fourth quarter of the last few years. I think their ability to play well late in their games in the last couple of years and the last three Super Bowls they won in the last five years, their ability to play late in the game and play well has really helped them hoist that trophy three times. So I think if they can do that again towards the end of the game, you know, the last second half of the game, I think that'll make sure that they win the game.
Speaker 2: What are you doing these days, Torell Let's I'm sure you fans would love to hear an update. I know you were with the Bills and you were placed on injured reserves, So what's what's what's life like for you right now?
Speaker 1: And what are you hoping comes next?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm still in California's still training.
Speaker 5: I'm healthy.
Speaker 9: I had a few workouts this season, but there's nothing nothing, nothing stuck through, still playing, you know. So I've had a little bit of communication with a couple of teams, but you know, until until things are set and stone, nothing really happened. So just training them in California right now, looking to to find a place to live outside of California, because I love this place. It'll always be home, but just just looking to to find something new. Probably we'll make a trip or two out to Utah this this offseason. That would be pretty nice to come back and see my see my favorite people, see one of my favorite cities in the United States, So that'll be nice.
Speaker 1: Who do you keep in contact out this way?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Without this way?
Speaker 2: We have a lot of your former teammates on Zach was on not too long ago. Who are your YOUTE teammates that you continue to talk to and stay in contact with?
Speaker 9: Honestly a lot of them, Okay, I keep it. I still talk to Zach. I talked to Julian for two I guess two big names. I talked to Soup here and there a lot of TJ. Green, Philipia, There's there's a lot Sampson, Nakula, There's a lot of guys that I still talk to from from Utah.
Speaker 5: CLC.
Speaker 9: Mariner, I don't know's there's a lot. I'd say that I stay in contact with a lot of guys just because we we had a close knit bond at Utah and it'll probably continue for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 1: What are your what are your thoughts on?
Speaker 2: Since you and I last spoke, there was a lot of conversation about what would happen with coach with after a rough year, and he's announced that he's coming back for your twenty one. What's your reaction to your former ball coach on the sidelines for another year for these Utah.
Speaker 9: I'm happy for him. I didn't think, if I'm being honest, before last season, I thought that would probably be his last season, not that I knew anything under the table or anything. I just was thinking like that'd be his last season. But once we fell short to BYU, I think I don't think in my opinion, from my point of view, I don't think he would have allowed himself to leave with that bad taste in his mouth. So I think he's gonna come back with a vengeance this year and do pretty well, and in my opinion, maybe this will be his last year. But who knows. He's a strong man. He probably is still working out like crazy now, so I'm sure he's still in good health and still able to keep going.
Speaker 2: Since you and I last spoke as well. It's been a minute. A coach you know very very well. In Morgan Scalley, it was announced that he is the contingency plan once Kyle decides that he wants to do something else with his time.
Speaker 1: That job is Morgan's.
Speaker 2: I would imagine you have some thoughts on that, Troe, what do you think about the plan here?
Speaker 9: And so I'm happy for him, I have. I have a lot of respects for him. He's not only a great coach, but a but a great person as well. And I feel like I learned. I learned a lot from college. I think, I don't know. I couldn't say enough good good things about him, And I'm excited for his future and his family and when he gets a chance to take, uh take the reins as the head coach at Utah, I'm sure I'll be there, just like I am there now, you know, still supporting them and seeing them do well.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought about media? You're you're you're pretty good at this, you know. And I and terrelle I interview. I know, I know you're only twenty six and hopefully you have a lot of football left to play, But I interview a lot of former players, and I'll say I've interviewed a lot of your former teammates, and I'll just say gently at times, it's hard for me to drag answers out of them, but you're really.
Speaker 1: Good at this. Have you ever considered that maybe down.
Speaker 9: The road, I've considered it. I think it's I think it's very I have a lot of respects for everybody in the media from I think my right after my rookie year, I did the spring game, and I worked with some of the guys from the PAC twelve and calling the spring spring game, so being able to see it from that view and talking to you and just being on the radio and things. It's like, I don't know. I think I just have a lot of respects for the profession. I think it's really cool. It's not something I would ever count out. I think it's pretty cool. I just haven't thought about it extensively. But I mean, I guess if another person tells me that it I sound pretty good on the media, I guess I should probably really think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're no, you are, and believe me, I can tell when players are good at it.
Speaker 1: I can tell when they want to do it.
Speaker 2: And I can tell when they're on the phone and they're scrolling through their mentions or they're swiping right or whatever. So your present and I appreciate that. I want to move over here because, as I reference, we talk to a lot of your teammates, and for my money, Torell, your twenty nineteen Utah team may have been the most talent and I mean this now, I mean seriously, like top to bottom, it could have been the most It could be the most talented Utah football team in the history of the program. And obviously four undefeated, a eight undefeated, and those guys have acclaimed the seasons that are very very special. But yet do you guys ever talk about twenty nineteen, how many just awesome players you had and what could have been?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think I think the more we talk about it, and the more people talk about it, it just makes it that much worse that we weren't. We didn't get a chance at the to you know, Oh, I guess we did get a chance. We just didn't do it, so I'll put it that way. But yeah, I think we talked about it a lot and we know, but it's hard to have no hardware and say that you were a good team. So, I mean, if we're being honest, everybody plays this game for the love of the game and to win, and we won a good amount, but just not enough. So I think we were a great team. I think I always think that we were a great team, and I'm just grateful to be a part of that those great four years, and not only just twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Before I set you lose.
Speaker 2: And I do have to apologize to all the former players who I asked this question too, and I've asked you inmates. We asked Zach a couple of weeks ago. You know Terrell Burgess, you know, good looking, charismatic kid, Utah football player, senior year, really really good. I don't know, man, two hundred three hundred K or something like that, Like do you ever look at this? You know what I'm saying, Like, do you ever look at what college football is now? And go, man, I was just a few years too late.
Speaker 9: I know, it's crazy because I was just talking about this as one of my friends about how like, oh, yeah, our parents just had us too early. But yeah, I mean it's crazy to even think about it. I'm happy for the for the players now. I think I've always thought that college football players deserve to get paid, so I'm excited that they're doing it. Is I can only just hope that they continue to make the right choices and micro decisions with the money they're giving at given at a young age, and earn, not just given, earned at the young age, and continue to do right and help the younger generation be able to just keep going. But yeah, no, I'm excited for them.
Speaker 5: I think my senior.
Speaker 9: Year maybe I would have made a little bit, but you know, hindsight's always twenty twenty and we'll wi ultimately never know that. But I'm not bitter about it. I'm really happy for them, and I just I hope it continues to just grow the sport.
Speaker 2: Where do you keep that Super Bowl ring?
Speaker 9: I don't know if I should be saying that on the rag fair. You're in California. It's here, It's in a safe space, it's in a lock box here in California, something I don't really take out very often. But it's something also to whoever asked, so it's a great accomplishment. I'm just happy to be a part of that team.
Speaker 1: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey Drell, Thanks for the time. Man, have a great weekend. We'll get you back on soon.
Speaker 9: Okay, yes, sir, thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Rel Burgess really really good player for Utah twenty nineteen, his senior year just completely blew up.
Speaker 1: Drafted by the.
Speaker 2: Rams one hundred and fourth overall, third round twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately broke his ankle, injured reserve.
Speaker 2: But he does have a Super Bowl ring that Super Bowl the Rams won when they beat the Bengals. Spent some time with the Giants, spend all the time with the Commanders, most recently with the Buffalo Bills, and then he was way We've a little bit into the season. So now he's back in California training and trying to get in shape.
Speaker 1: Hopefully gets a chance.
Speaker 2: He's only twenty six years old and obviously a really good player and an excellent player for Utah back in the day. Appreciate Threll Burgess the time on the program.
Speaker 1: All right, roll along on the program today.
Speaker 2: Time to talk some Utah men's basketball. The Utes have been able to grab a couple of wins in Big twelve Play, three straight wins and a couple of els to Houston and Baylor. Been a nice home win against a really good defensive team in Cincinnati, hitting the road at Okay State. Our next guest good enough to give us some time. It's rare for us in the afternoons because they practice. The head coach of the Utes, Craig Smith, on the program, Craig, how are you, sir?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great, Spence, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. Appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: It's pretty rare for us in the afternoons to get your time, so we appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So let's start just big picture.
Speaker 2: Now, you guys are twenty games in over all, your nine games in in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 1: What do you like? What are you working on? Thought with your team through twenty games?
Speaker 6: Greig, And it's hard to believe we're already at this point, you know, play Oklahoma State, like you said, two o'clock on Saturday, and we'll be halfway through conference playoff already. So you know, it's gone really fast. There's been some really like any season, there's you know, there's been some really good moments and some hard moments. It's been a you know, preseason, we're gonna pick sixteen out of sixteen, so obviously you don't want to be picked in last place, but there's nowhere to go but up, I guess from that respective. But you know, we had a great summer this year. It was really unfortunate lost all three of our centers within eight days of our first game. We had to really reinvent ourselves and we were playing a way different brand of basketball than we've been we had been, and you know, it just it's not really how I like to play, certainly now being new to the Big twelve and being into it, it's really hard, I think, to sustain success that way. And we went back to the way we were playing all summer and most of the fall. And that's big, right. Our teams, no matter where I've been, whether it's Utah State, South Dakota, Mayville State, we've always been an elite rebounding team. It's just what we've done. And now that we've played, you know, inserted Jake Wallen into the starting lineup, you know, legit six nine, six ten with Ezra and User was a very powerful foreman and then lost and lovering at seven to one, you know, and then Keanu Dods is really impacting our program in a great way. Six y nine and really long I'm happy with how we're playing. You know, one four the last six, I had a tough loss at Houston and had a tough loss at home to Baylor, where we just had a ton of open shots. We just couldn't make a shot that night, and that happens in basketball. But I feel like we're rounding in the forum and we're doing some good things. And now we're going to continue continue at this weekend because winning on the road in the Big Twelve is very, very difficult, and so we're gonna have to be ready to really compete on Saturday.
Speaker 2: You mentioned something there that that kind of peaked my interest. My ears perked up, my intendants went off when you said, you know, we're not necessarily playing the way.
Speaker 1: I want to play or I want to coach.
Speaker 2: And I always find it interesting when I am watching a team that's coached by a guy who I like and respect, like you. And I can remember when Quinn Snyder was here coaching those Jazz teams when Rudy Gobert kind of evolved into this defensive stopper and they started him next to Derek Favors and they didn't have a great offense, but Dennis Lindsay used to say, look, if they score seventy were fine scoring seventy two, and they took the air out of the basketball. And I always wondered, like, and I asked Quinn. I was like, is this the way you want to coach? Is this the way you want to play? Said no, it's the way we have to play based on our personnel, right, and then ultimately, you know, Donovan's drafted, he takes off and then you know they acquire a bunch of good offensive pieces, and Quinn changed the way they played and it was the way he wanted to coach, and it was the way he wanted them to play. But how much of your approach, Craig, is catered to the personnel and how much of it is, Okay, this is the way I believe basketball should be played.
Speaker 6: Well, it certainly as a head coach. You know, it's really interesting. You've got to be who you are. There's so many ways to win in basketball or football or volleyball or whatever it might be. But I think as a head coach, you've got to really have the security there of who you are, what you believe in, try to recruit to that. At the same time, you know, it's like for me, I've always had to be at you know, situations when I've gotten hired that maybe weren't that quote unquote sexiest jobs, or there are harder jobs, or certainly you know, I've always been hired in their place where they've been struggling. Unfortunately we've been able to flip it around. So like I've always had to kind of adapt and adjust based off your personnel, right, based off your best players. Who's got talent. So you got to be able to fine tune some things offensively, certainly defensively as well. And you know, Paul, you know the great obviously he's passed away for the legendary football coach Paul bear Bryant. You know, I can't always tell you what a great player looks like, but I can certainly see it. And the first thing you got to do is get those guys in the game and and and so you know, I've always remembered that quote and thought about it, and you just got to find the talented guys that are all about the team, that create toughness, things that you value, and then you figure it out. And I really value defending and rebounding, and I just think it's a mentality thing. It's a toughness thing, it's an edge thing. It's a way of life. You can't do it somedays and that other days and showing up, you know, go to work when you don't feel like it, like you got to put the time in, you got to work hard. I just believe in those things. And so, you know, we had had some success or that we were shooting a ton of threes, too many for my liking. Not that I don't like making threes, right, but but it's just you know, the Iowa game, I got a little Baylor at Baylor, and it was like, all right, we're going back to what I believe in, who we are, about what we got to do. And then you know, being what's easy to forget, like this is our first year in the Big twelve, and every league is a little bit different, and so the Big twelve is certainly different than the Pac twelve. You know, I had two years in the Big ten, right, the Big ten was more like the Big twelve, you know, back then, and so you learn what do you got to have? What are things you need to have? You know, where are we strong? Where we got to get better at and then what scheme do you have to have because there's just so much playmaking in this league. But it's awesome. I'm so glad we're a part of it. So anyway, going back to your question, you have to adjust your personnel. But if it's not necessarily who you are, that could be a difficult thing. And so every coach is a little bit different style of what they believe in it. You got to be confident with it and roll with it. And I like what we're doing at this moment in time.
Speaker 2: So I want to talk conceptually for a minutes to some of the concepts surrounding Gabe.
Speaker 1: And you know, I.
Speaker 2: Talked about this on air last week and I got a little pushback. I'm not saying that Gabe is Stephan Curry. Okay, I'm not saying that. But what I'm saying is Steve Kerr oftentimes talks about, Hey, I want Steph to shoot five to seven quote unquote bad shots a game, right, Like, I don't mind him forcing up some shots because every night every team, he is the first page on the scouting report and Greg, as you know, everybody sells out to make sure Gabe doesn't have space and when he is open. If he misses an open three, I feel like this. It's the same feeling when another player misses an open layup right, because you finally get him open and Gabe doesn't knock it down. He's like, oh man, that was a chance. But what are you trying to do just to get him some space? Because the shooting percentages are down? But if you're not watching, you can look at the numbers and say, what's wrong with it?
Speaker 1: Well, what's wrong with them is everybody's gapping them. Everybody's blitzing them.
Speaker 2: Theyre running two and three at them, right, So just conceptually, how are you trying to get Gable little space so he can you know, knock down the shots?
Speaker 1: So you need him knocked down?
Speaker 6: Well, sense, how much time do you, guys?
Speaker 2: As much time as you have, Craig, there's a four hour radio show, my friend.
Speaker 6: That is a it's a very it's a great question and very insightful. Quite frankly, you know, as a coach, right, I've always been I want our guys on on both sides of the ball, but on offense, really playing aggressive in attack mode. I don't ever want our guys where they feel paralyzed, where they're looking.
Speaker 5: Over their shoulder constantly.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean? Is this a good play? Is it not? Because then I think, I just think I've just been around guys like that, and I know what happens, and so I'd rather have to have rain them back a little bit than you know, go the other way. And so listen, I've coached game for three years. This is my fourth year. I know he is. I know who he is. He's certainly the alpha, so to speak, or option one A whenever the one's getting ready to playoffs. Even now, whether his numbers are you know what they are, they're still putting their best defender on him. They're still saying, nope, we're not letting you get those you know, points or whatever. So he's had to adjust to that. Now. He's always been that guy last while should for the most part, he's been that guy for the last three years on the on the perimeter. But we've been able to play a little bit differently in the last few years. So listen, do I want him firing terrible shots? No, not necessarily. However, I want him aggressive. So if he's going to take you know, he's going to take a couple of bad shots here and there, like it's just what it is. I when I first got hired at Utah State, I used to have to tell Sam merrill Sam because he was so I got to make the right play. I got to make the right play, and his mind, the right play was always you know if I'm boom, And I was like, Sam, look around, this team needs you to be super assertive and super aggressive. And so every now and then, a bad shot, what you would deem a bad shot is probably better than you know, a cleaner look by somebody else. And what I was telling him that is he was so engrossed in making the right play all the time, and I just wanted his mentality being a little more assertive or aggressive. And certainly after that I didn't have to tell him too many times right in a lot of ways. And look, what's you know happened that way? So you got to know your guys, You got to know your team. But I want our guys aggressive, not looking over their shoulder. Now. At the same time, with our team, I did have to really address that specifically after the Texas Tech game at home, I just felt like we were having too many guys just shucking up shots and our shot selection was I would deem below average, right, and we just had to pull the reins back because we just were just you know, he's gonna have to defend us. It was two and three guys getting all the shot, and I just felt like our team wasn't built like that. Into our guys credit, we've done a way better job with our shot selection. Gab including Gabe and what he's done, and he's still going to peel out, which I want. He needs to get shot. It's just a matter of time before he gets out of this slump.
Speaker 9: I just know it.
Speaker 6: And the other night he showed some real signs, went to the free throw line eight times seventh grade, made a month or shot with under two minutes ago to put us up to it's just a matter of time with Gabe. And then he just looked like, you know, sometimes when you got a you know, a fifth year senior, they feel like they got the weight of the world on him. Like one of the Gabe's superpowers is he can just let things roll right off his shoulders and just go play basketball, just go hoop, and just we had a really good talk about that last week and and he just looked more himself where he's just going to play basketball and not playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders. So you know, you need scores to be aggressive and not overthinking, and it's just a matter of time for him.
Speaker 2: So on the other side, and you kind of alluded to, my follow up is obviously and we'll just stick with the Warriors parallel, even though people online are going to yell at me saying I'm comparing Gabe to Seth Curry. But ultimately, you know, it's not just about a shooter like Gabe and the attention that he mandates. It's also the space that that allows your other players because of that gravity.
Speaker 1: So how do you take advantage of that?
Speaker 2: Because you referenced that times maybe the shot selection has been great. You know Hunter in the BYU game took advantage of some space to knock down some big time shots. So when Gabe is mandating all this attention and there's all this space due to that gravity, how does that benefit your team and how do you take advantage of it?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's huge. I mean obviously he is the respect of all of our opponents and they're going to put their best defender on him every game. Best tournamentter defender is on him every game when he comes off of ball screen, they're almost always blitzing them or trapping him. And so now that creates the scene because on offense, when you can get two guys to the ball, you're creating an advantage. It's all about advantage disadvantage, and you're creating an advantage for your team. And so now you got two guys to him, you're playing four against three. Once he delivers that ball, whether he pitches it head to the next perimeter player or whether he hits the short role. Right with the short role is the guy that right sets the ball screen and Lovering is an elite passer. So when we can get him the ball in the short role, that creates a real advantage for our offense. Or he throws it back and now we can look inside or skip opposite and play. So it just creates a real advantage for our team on offense. Now he's got to tighten up with the ball, but he's become a much better playmaker slash decision maker. Even specifically the first half the other night, oh my gosh, every time he touched it, they were sending two guys to him. Essentially, and he was able to make a lot of the right play that led to a lot of easy dunks and wide open threes for us. So just a threat for him, and it creates spacing, right, uh, spacing his offensive spacing and spacing his offense. And if you don't have good spacing on the floor, or if you can pick a guy or two out there that maybe can't stretch the floor, now you don't really have to card that guy, and you can really plug up the paint. And so he creates advantages just by simply being out on the floor. And then the last thing I'll say about Gabe, he's such a selfless guy. Two things. He's such a selfless guy. All the dude cares about his winning. He just wants to win, doesn't care of it. You know, he could. He had a lot of opportunities to go other places for more money over the summer. And he's like, coach, I am a runningue. This is where I want to be right this He's changed my life. I love being here, I love living here, I love playing in this program, I love playing for you, on and on and on, and I think it says a lot about the guy. All the guys on our team respect him. It's such detail, but he impacts winning just by being out on the floor. And he's such a good mover without the ball constantly moving, which frees up everybody else on the floor.
Speaker 2: So I referenced the BYU game. I was there with some family. It was just man. You know, I was a student at the U, And I told you, Craig, the first time I interviewed you after you took the job, I was not going to bring up Rick Majerius every time you came on the show.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 6: You did tell me that, but you can't get I'm used to it.
Speaker 1: But I'll just say this.
Speaker 2: I mean, when I was a student in the late nineties, we planned our weeks around basketball games, and the BYU crowd for the first time, in my opinion, felt like I was back in school, you know, twenty twenty five years ago. And you said after the game, fans impact winning, and you are absolutely correct. So give me your thoughts on what it was like that night in the building to feel it like that, and what it would mean your program if we could get that going more often than not.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean a ton and like, listen, we all have responsibility. I have a responsibility as head coach. Like I think we have a very exciting brand of basketball to watch. I think we have a lot of just great people in our program. But also no fans want like sustained success and to win. And you know that night and there's and there's been some of those nights. I mean, of course last year with Uyu as well, and they were ranked when we played by forget top ten, top fifteen, when we beat Arizona, Arizona's ranked number four in the country a couple of years ago. That was a really good crowd. And that was I think the night before our football team played in the Bowl Championship in Las Vegas. But fans impact winning. I don't care what anyone says. Like players got to go make the plays, coaches got to put guys in the right position, recruit you know, championship level players. Right, there's a lot of facets that go into everybody impacts winning and so but when you come into an arena and I remember I was in a in the Big ten, the Big Ten. I'll never forget this stat the Big Ten at that time, I don't know where this is like ten years ago, for I think it was twenty six straight years led the country in attendance. And guess what they also for like twenty five of those twenty six years had the best home winning percentage within league play, within league play in the country. So, like, what's Big ten country, Well, it's cold, it's born in the north, right, there's not a lot of crazy, you know, things to do because people want to be inside. So what they do they go to sporting events, like guys, so they do. And so this those road environments and now being in the Big twelve and it's early for us. But we started at Baylor, right, and they did a promotion they give up five thousand free tickets and it was packed because their football team was playing their bowl game that day December thirty. First, then we played at Iowa State. Oh my gosh, that place is electric, right, And then it was that TFU not quite you know, but it was still a good home court and we played well that night, and one at Houston electric. Right. So we've played some very tough conference road games and that night specifically when we played when we be BYU, Oh my gosh, Like those are our guys who remember that the rest of the life. That was the sixth biggest crowd in the history of the Huntsmon Center, and so it was awesome. Your players feel it. They feel the energy, they feel the passion, they feel the caring, like there's a lot that goes into it. And so you know, we got to do our part. It helps to win, there's no doubt about that. But we do have an excellent brand of basketball. You know, we're top for most of the season, we've been one or two and assists. We really share the ball, I think now number six or number seven in the country. So we have players that are willing to sacrifice and play shared basketball and connected basketball. And we all know this state is an amazing basketball state. The fans are passionate and you can look up and down, whether it's you know Utah State, Utah v YU, go all the way like it's like people love basketball in this state. And so, but they impact winning in a great way. It becomes a huge home court advantage and it can be daunting. It can be very daunting when you're an opponent coming in because they see the games, whether they're watching them lit or through the coaches clips that they show. It can be a very daunting experience and it really tests your metal, your discipline, your toughness, and so you know, that's what we envision, that's what we'd like to do. There's a lot of things that go into it, but fans impact winning without questions.
Speaker 2: I know you got to go. So if you want to be super quick with this question, be super quick. But it was the one I wanted to. I want it to end with because there are pieces Craig on this roster, and it seems like every night I watch it's like, oh, Keanu just showed me something I hadn't seen before, or maybe myro little needs to get more run, or while Lean's down the starting like and then Ezra has really evolved. I mean that BYU performance was incredible. Are you close to landing on your preferred rotation or just is it going to continue to be just like whatever the night needs and you're going to continue to kind of tinker and and just kind of go from there.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's a great question, very fair. I feel like we're very very sound on our top seven guys. You know, since we won four out of six for the most we've been pretty steady with who we're playing now, there's certainly been you know, the Houston game, guys got out of kind of got out of hand. After a while. We had a couple of one guy specifically i'd heard, so we kind of rotated some things and and and then it got to a point where it's like, you know, you're playing some guys that just like Katie's young, Jake's young. It's easy forget those guys are early sophomore. Yeah, so especially Jake doesn't have a crazy amount of game experience. You know, Miro little doesn't have a crazy amount of game experience. So you know, Ezra is really starting to grow into his own and figure some things out. And so I feel very good about you know, where we're at with our uh. I guess you could say top seven. You know. The other night we played a little bit different. Lovering has been in some foul trouble here last you know, a few games, so we've had to kind of negotiate that a little bit. The other night, Ezra had an amazing first half, had some constantly turnovers, and then he got his fourth file with about ten minutes to play, so we took him out. But then, you know, Keanu was playing so great and Jake was playing really well, so it's kind of like, hey, you got to ride those guys, you know, and those guys are good players. So I'm excited. I think we're finally kind of getting our footing, so to speak, with our role definition, who's doing what what what pieces seem to gel better with each other, who plays well off one another, and then and then there's some things we still got to figure out with a couple of spots, so to speak, and find consistency so we know exactly what we're going to get, you know, on a day to day basis.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. Well, thanks so much for the time. Best of luck in league play. I think it's been a pleasant surprise for a lot of people to see you get the wins you've been getting, and you got some winnable ones coming out, Craig, So save travels and we'll chat toom.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on, Spance. I always appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: He's the pride of Norwich, Connecticut and an adopted son of Salt Lake City. After forty years with the Utah Jazz, there's no one better to talk some hoops. Richard Smitty Smith is back on the Drive on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Well, he lives, he lives. It's been way too long. I thought he'd ditched us. I thought he decided that he was done with the media portion of his long and prosperous, well decorated career. But after weeks and weeks and weeks broad with a little sunshine on the Ocean, Richard Smith has triumphantly returned live in studio for the next hour. You look tanned, you look rested, You look twenty five years younger.
Speaker 1: Really, where you been, man?
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 1: Where you've been?
Speaker 11: First of First of all, I don't know what Porter is doing with this with this intro.
Speaker 10: Is that Johnny Cash? Is that old old Johnny Cash?
Speaker 3: That was uh there was you two with Johnny Cash?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, the Wanderer.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: Appropriate, It's it's appropriated.
Speaker 5: It was a reach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think it was perfect. Where are you doing, man? Where you been? What's going on? Man?
Speaker 11: No, I've been out of out of town spends. We had a great, uh great cruise in the in the Caribbean for a few weeks. I had a terrific time and it was nice to see sunshine in eighty degrees and and you know, One of the best parts of having a trip like that is, uh, is every now and then you're you're sitting near the pool, You're sitting up in the sunshine. You look at your phone and you get on the weather app and says Salt Lake snowing and twenty three.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now you just rubbing it in and you're not endearing yourself to anyone around here.
Speaker 10: This is why I'm doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Now, Now the flip side is you get off the ship to go to the airport to come home, and you said, what am I doing? Why am I? Why am I going back to do this? I don't know, but for me it was because I missed the Spence check Its show on the Drive with Porter Larson, and and my I was I had to get back here because I was getting a little anxious. I was starting to twitch a little bit. And uh, but here I am here, I am back with you. So everything's normal, everything's calm and and and we're back to it.
Speaker 2: So you expect me to believe the only reason you left the Caribbean the warm weather so you could come, you know, slepping on air with me.
Speaker 11: I have no other reason to do it but to come back and talk to you. So this is it, and we can talk about the jazz and the trade deadline and all the other and and and maybe even get in a vote to vote for what the name of the hockey team is supposed to, because I'm so I'm.
Speaker 10: So engrossed in that, I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Do you have? Okay, let's start there.
Speaker 2: Porter and I educated the people yesterday, mostly Porter because he loves the genealogy on the fact that Utah actually does have a very rich history when it comes to Outlaws. Of course, Order's third cousin is Jesse James or Butch Cassidy or who is it again, it's but Cassidy. There you go, Yeah, no, I do. Now it's turning into a bit so. Butch Cassidy is literally Porter's third cousin. He has tremendous knowledge of Outlaws in the past. So we have the Outlaws, we have the Mammoth, and we have my preferred name, which is the name they already have, which is the Utah Hockey Club. I think it's classy. I think it's clean. I don't think it's corny. I don't need an abominable snowman as a mascot. So I like the current version, but I'm kind of out an island.
Speaker 11: What do you think? Well, first of all, I'm wondering any any other hockey fan around the country, anybody who's involved in the NHL, would they accept a team that's called the Utah Outlaws relative to what most people's view of the state of Utah is around conservatism and the LDS, church and and whatever whatever, clean cut people and.
Speaker 10: All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 11: And then they're sitting there in North Carolina or Florida or wherever, and they're going now they name their team the Outlaws. The Utah oh am, I supposed to believe that the Utah Outlaws.
Speaker 2: Well, we have a team named the Jazz, and we don't have any jazz music in the city.
Speaker 10: You got that.
Speaker 2: There's nowhere you can go to listen to jazz and saut lake. Yet our basketball team is the Jazz, I know, or you know.
Speaker 11: The one that's the most egregious to me, Spencer never gets mentioned is the Los Angeles Lakers.
Speaker 1: Sure exactly, you know and so but you.
Speaker 11: Know obviously, But having said all that, I I'm with you. I'm in your camp one hundred percent. I said this back back when whenever, and I still I'm still in that camp that if I had a vote, which obviously I don't, I would be voting for Utah Hockey Club. I love it that it's it's nice and clean, and I like the logos they've gotten, the color scheme and everything. And I don't know, I've heard you say this before, and I'm and I'm in complete agreement with you for for once in a while, that makes me feel good that the that they seem to me to be overthinking the whole process, you know.
Speaker 1: So no, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: And if you go to the next two home games for the Utah Hockey Club starting to not against Columbus, you can go through the exercise where you can pretend to vote on this situation and simply give your data to qual Tricks. And they're gonna do whatever they want behind the scenes anyway. But they are presenting the facade of a fan vote. It's not a real thing. But we'll see, we'll see. It's been fun to have the hockey team said, the kid was in town the other night scoring a game winning overtime goal.
Speaker 1: And you know, we're not gonna do a lot of hockey.
Speaker 2: But I do find myself, you know, could she kind of laugh and shake in my head when the Rangers coming to town, or the Blues coming to town, or Alex Ovechkin is here, Sidney Crosby is here, Like, it is pretty remarkable that they were able to get this thing done with only a few months turn around.
Speaker 11: Well, that's that's the miracle. Spence and and Ryan Smith and his group at SEG like how they came to an agreement with the NHL from from March, putting in a a letter of intent that they wanted to try and purchase an expansion team at some point to the next month in April, with Gary Bettman coming to Ryan Smith saying, hey, can you uh do you want to get involved like next Tuesday? And they go, what what are you talking about? And the Arizona team comes here and bing bang boom, they're they're in the middle of a season this year with with all of that, that to me is is nothing short of a miracle of just getting it off the ground and getting it going and all the stuff they've had to do, all the people who I know behind the scenes over there at the Delta Center who have scrambled and done the very best they can to get this thing going, and the fans are responding, and the team is competitive and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: It's just it really is a marvel that they've gotten.
Speaker 11: It to this point so quickly, and you have to give them a lot of kudos for that.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All Right, since you and I last spoke, several interesting scenarios haven't folded, not just in Jazz Land, but in the world of pro basketball. You know, you were one of the first people I thought of when the alert came down on my phone that the Jazz had made a trade. Now players are not involved, but it's an interesting thing to consider. There are six teams smitty in pro basketball that own a tremendous amount of draft capital moving forward over the next five to six to seven drafts. Ok See, Oklahoma City's at the top, San Antonio, It's Utah, It's Brooklyn, and.
Speaker 1: I think it's Detroit.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's one other team that has So there are six teams total. They control multiple picks throughout the course of the next five to six to seven drafts.
Speaker 1: So let's dig into the deal.
Speaker 2: Then let's talk about whether or not you think this is going to become commonplace. So Utah sends three picks, three first round picks to Phoenix. All three picks are the least favorable of their picks, Minnesota's pick and Cleveland's picks. So they obviously have done their calculation on the Cavs certainly, and they've said this year that's going to be twenty nine to thirty. Two years from now, they're probably going to be really good. Then four years from now, nobody really knows, but the least favorable of all three might be in the twenties as well. So they're saying, like, okay, we're sending three picks to Phoenix that we think are going to be, you know, not necessarily great value in the late twenties. On the off chance that in twenty thirty one, Bookers in his thirties, Durant's probably in a retirement home, Beal's done anyway, in the off chance that Phoenix is pivoting and rebuilding in twenty thirty one, we'll take that chance. So we'll trade you three assets for one that we perceive to be as worth the risk, I guess I'll say, so break this down for us, and do you think this is something we're going to see in pro basketball moving forward with all these teams with so many picks.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and and and you're exactly right. And the reason you do that, the reason you have, you know, this famous phrase of assets accumulation is because you're trying to get as many many chips in the pile if you will, uh that you can. And then when something like this comes up, and we've talked about this before on the show, you never know. You can control some things within your your purview of how you want to do things, who you want to take in the draft, how you want if you want to move up in the draft and move down, whatever it.
Speaker 10: Is, sign a free agent, those kind of things.
Speaker 11: But then there are other things that that affect your organization along the way that you have no control of that just come at you and you have to be ready to be able to react in a way that you feel can benefit your organization. And this is one of those times. So the Jazz accumulated a bunch of draft picks over a bunch of years. You know, when are they going to use them, How are they going to use them? Who are those picks gonna be? You know, some people look at it. Go boy, we got like three draft picks in the first round in a year, you know, five years from now, where the kid we're gonna pick right now is in seventh grade or whatever, you know. And it's so it's like that part of it is goofy, But you have those in place in case something like this comes about.
Speaker 10: So what happens.
Speaker 11: Phoenix is desperately trying to figure out a way to get Jimmy Butler from Miami. The big roadblock is because of Bradley Beal, who is the most tradeable ASCID or at least the one that they would like to be able to move, who has no trade clause, which is very unusual in the NBA. Very few players get that in their contract. But that was something he negotiated when he was in Washington. Why they would do that, who knows, but that was a decision they made. Now Phoenix has it and they have to deal with it. So they're trying to figure out a way to move Bradley Beal. Well, they have to have some other assets because Phoenix has backed themselves into a corner so deep with their roster construction. They have no draft picks to speak of. They have nowhere to move. This is what they built. They went all in on this group, and this group showed last year they get beaten the first round by Minnesota.
Speaker 10: This year, they're struggling to just.
Speaker 11: Hopefully get out of the playing thing if they can get in the top six.
Speaker 10: But that's not what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 11: They believe they're supposed to be one of the top two, three four teams in the West. It's not working out to this point in time. So they're struggling like, Okay, now what do we do? So they the only thing they can figure out at that moment is can we use an asset way in the future, meaning the twenty thirty one unprotected first round pick, and get multiple assets for that. The Jazz are waiting in the weeds. They come up, they raise their hand in the classroom. Yeah, we have three draft picks. We'll trade you, and Phoenix goes, okay, three for one. Okay, we'll do that. So the Jazz figure, Okay, we've got all these picks, that's why we have them, so we can roll it into something else so we think might.
Speaker 10: Be more valuable way down the road. Will it be?
Speaker 11: We have no idea, is it something we might use two years from now in another move, we might do that, but we've got something we feel is a little more valuable than what we have right now. Phoenix is in a position where they need multiple assets to try and get someone else in their trade scenario with Butler and Beal and so they want to make that more So you take advantage of that, and you take that pick and you put it to the side, and then you move on if you're the Jazz, and you wait in the wings and you see what happens with those other teams in their potential trade scenarios.
Speaker 2: So there are constant rumors surrounding the Jazz, as there are this time of year with a lot of teams. But I referenced, oh, by the way, the team I forgot with additional draft capitals Houston. Then it's Charlotte. So there are sixteen. Charlotte has eight, first, Houston has nine. The Jazz still have eleven even after the trade. Then you're looking at Brooklyn that has fifteen, You're looking at San Antonio that has twelve, and Oklahoma City has ten thirteen incoming picks, ten that are tradeable and they're awesome.
Speaker 1: So that's difficult. Sam Presty's done a hell of a job.
Speaker 2: But every time somebody talks about this trade deadline, they talk about John Collins potentially to Sacramento.
Speaker 1: They talk about Colin Sexton.
Speaker 2: You know, the Lakers are the worst because every player that's available that might fit Ins, like, hey, Lakers in on Collin Sexon, I don't know, no idea. And then obviously Jordan Clarkson's another name. What are the conversations behind closed doors Jazz front office right now, Wanne, what to do with some of these pieces with twenty seven million in cap space and a bunch of draft capital too, Like, what do you think they're discussing prior to February sixth.
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, they've gone in this season right with the idea that they're going to try and develop.
Speaker 10: All these young players.
Speaker 11: And whether you believe they're doing that or not, whether they're making progress or not, you know, everybody has an opinion about that. The bottom line is they're not winning, and they're not going to win this year. So they recognize that. So they're going to try and do anything that either helps them moving forward in terms of a draft asset or maybe a good young player if one comes available, or to try and shed some more money.
Speaker 10: So they don't.
Speaker 11: Care if they have John Collins the roster a week from now. They don't care if they have Jordan Clarkson on the roster a week from now.
Speaker 10: It doesn't matter to what they're doing now.
Speaker 11: So if they can find a place, a landing spot for any of those kind of guys, I've become I was partially, but now I'm all in spence on being a Colin Sexton guy. He's the most efficient player the Jazz have this year to this point. He's played the best, he's played the most consistent. He plays with force, he plays with energy. I like the way he carries himself on the floor. He's one of the few guys who brings energy and some level of toughness to the to the roster. So for me, you take market In, you take Kessler, you take Sexton, You put those three guys to the side. Okay, anybody else is fair game. Anybody else, especially if you can make a move to get rid of some money, whether that's Clarkson who's making fourteen this year and fourteen next year, or whether that's Collins who's making twenty six if you can move those guys to some team that wants them to values them in a way that they think they could help them somewhere in some kind of a playoff drive, then you look to do that kind of thing to get some kind of an asset, a future draft pick or another young guy or something that's making less whatever it is, you do that kind of a move to set yourself up for the kind of stuff that you want to do this coming summer and beyond, because this year you're not going anywhere, so it doesn't matter. So you're trying to figure out something that makes sense to add to what you're trying to build in terms of opportunities going down the road.
Speaker 2: Let me follow up, since you reference Colin Colin Sex and you like what he's bringing. He's twenty seven years old, or excuse me, twenty six years old. And I always kind of chuckle because we talk about Colin and John as if they're in their late thirties, because they're not Keyanta or Isaiah or whatever.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 2: He's still very much a young player that's entering his prime. His splits on the year about eighteen and a half points three boards for assists, and when you look at the shooting percentage. He shoots forty eight percent from the floor, he shoots forty two percent from three, and takes almost four to threes a game, which I never thought it would be his deal. So he's put in the work, he's improved a lot, and we always have this debate. And I have a couple of other names. I want to kick the tires with you on. But like the debate. Anytime I go on another show, another podcast and they want to talk jazz, they all ask me the same question, who's around when they're good? And I've always said, well, market in for sure, if you know, if they can surround it with Lowry's part of the future.
Speaker 1: I think Walker is too.
Speaker 2: Is there a debate in that front office room, like, hey, maybe Colin is part of this too, based off of what you've seen.
Speaker 11: Sure, I would say definitely, because what he's done, He's always been a tough guy.
Speaker 10: He's always brought energy.
Speaker 11: His issue early on in his career was his turnover rate and also his susceptible shooting. Now you look this year, and again it's half a year, so we see how the rest of the year plays out. But on a team that's struggling, a team that's having trouble with winning games, a team that's having trouble finishing games when they're in the fourth quarter and it's still, you know, in the balance, and they have trouble doing those things. Sexton is the one guy who has shown during this year so far that he can be counted on to make good decisions.
Speaker 10: He can be galunted on to make a play when you need to make it. He's one of.
Speaker 11: Those guys who just plays hard every night and has improved his shooting to the point where you say, well, now that's serviceable, meaning he can help a good team in terms of how he plays. He's not going to be the main guy, but he can be a third or fourth or fifth guy on a team that is trying to uh, trying to have some level of sustainability of winning.
Speaker 10: So you might be able to move him. Maybe you do, but at his.
Speaker 11: Age, the way he's improved, he looks to me like a guy that's the kind of guy I would want to have around, not only because he's shown that he can get better, but because of the energy he brings. Jazz don't have a lot of guys on their roster who when they come on the floor, you go, Okay, Now, now we're gonna see something that's for sure. We're gonna get it up into a guy. We're gonna run a guy down from behind. We're gonna step in and try and take a charge. We're gonna push the ball down the floor from end to end, a full blast. They don't have many of those guys, and Sexton is one of those guys, and he's always been that. Now you put in this component that if he's shooting, if that's if that's a real thing, and he can keep it around that forty mare from three, he's an excellent free throw shooter, and he's making better decisions, then he's a guy who's who's increased his value and has increased his ability to be able to help you in a winning effort.
Speaker 10: See, that's what they're trying to see.
Speaker 11: About all these other young guys they've drafted last two years, or any of those guys, whether it's a Kiante George or a Sensaba or a Collier, they're all young guys. Can any of them show that they can make those incremental steps of improvement like Sexton has here in the first part of his career to show that they can contribute to winning. That's what they're trying to find, you know, with this younger group of guys. But to me, they've got a guy they've found who has shown he can do that in Sexton, and I would be surprised if that's someone that they didn't want to keep around.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me kick the tires with you on a rotational decision Will has made that I think actually means something. I mean oftentimes, like maybe Drew Eubanks gets another ten, I don't give a rip. It doesn't really matter if like Walker's out, is it going to be Philip Philapowski is going to be? You bet like you know Sphie makay Luke against Johnny Jus saying all right whatever. But over the past four games, Kyante is coming in off the bench and Isaiah Collier has started now thirteen times. So I want to break this down on a couple of different angles than give you the space, because I do believe if you're Will Hardy, if you're the Utah Jazz, you have to figure out who Kyante George is really as a rotational piece in this league.
Speaker 1: If he's going to be around when you're trying to win.
Speaker 2: And I believe Keiante's role in pro basketball is it going to be a lot like Jordan Clarkson's has been. Colin Sexton is in this, you know, kind of same type or of role for a good team, a guard you can bring it off the bench that can score. Kyante is one of the worst defensive players on the team and their second worst in defense at all of pro basketball, and Will has been very front facing about we need more from Keyonty on defense. He's just not a lead guard. He just isn't. He doesn't make great decisions. His shots profile isn't great as percentages are down, but we do have a bit of a sample size. So in four games as a reserve, Kyante is at about fourteen point five points, about four boards, five assists.
Speaker 1: The shooting splits are.
Speaker 2: Just not good, no matter if he's started coming off the bench, about forty percent from the floor, twenty three percent from three. And on the other side, I'm starting to like what I'm seeing from Isaiah in a way that I don't think I was expecting. So thirteen games as a starter now for Isaiah Callier, he's at eleven points, eight assists, three and a half turnovers, which was way too many turnovers twenty three percent from three. He's got to improve the outside shot forty three percent from the floor. But you like eight assists, you like eleven points and almost five boards. He's a big kid that can get downhill and makes better decisions I think than Kyante does.
Speaker 1: So attack this from both angles.
Speaker 2: What we've seen now from Isaiah as a starting lead guard and what Will is trying to do by bringing Kiante out bench.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well I think that first of all, the Collier kid, he's a young kid, but he's always been a point guard, so he's always had the ball in his hands.
Speaker 10: He's always been making decisions. Now. When he was.
Speaker 11: Sixteen seventeen eighteen, he was the bully on the block. He was bigger than the other kids, so he could blow by guys, he could overpower guys, he could get in the lane, he could get to the rim, and he's always had a decent feel for finding guys on the move. Early on in this year, he's been very turnover prone. He makes wild passes. Sometimes seen him make numerous passes to go right over guys heads into the fourth row of the stands literally, and he makes some questionable decisions when he gets some traffic, trying to get a bounce pass in a pocket pass that's not going anywhere because there's three sets of legs there and it's not going to get through. But he has a feel for trying to move the ball. He's not a shooter at the moment. Can he can he improve that? Can he get to a Colin Sexton scenario. You know, he's only twenty years old. Can he improve that by the time he's twenty three, twenty four and be something that's serviceable in that in that area because he's a big guy. He can hold his own. I don't like the way he is postured on defense. He needs to get more impose himself more defensively. I don't know if that's his mindset. That's one of the things that I'm sure that they're trying to flush out is whether they can get him up to that that kind of level. He's he's learning on the fly. He's got the size, he's got a feel. Cante George, I agree with you. He feels to me like he's, you know, his his role in the NBA. If he sticks in the NBA long term is going to be as an off the bed scorer, Jordan Clarkson, the Vinnie Johnson Jamal Crawford type guy who can get a shot, who isn't gonna defend for you, And so that's gonna be a problem. If he's not gonna do that part, then the other part, the offensive part, he has to do really well in order to make up for that. So I don't think he's a point guard. I think they're they're they're giving Collier some run because that's what they're trying to do right now. They're in the developmental stages of their team. So the only way we find out is if we throw him out there to the Wolves and we see what they got. And so far, Calier looks like he's improving some. I still don't like some of the decisions he makes, but he has a little bit better feel than George does at the point, and that's one of the things that Jazz are in the process of trying to feel.
Speaker 1: Out quick follow up for catch a break.
Speaker 2: Is it possible to be either a league guard or a complimentary wing and play big minutes for a team that's trying to win.
Speaker 1: If you can't shoot it from three in the modern day and age of the NBA.
Speaker 11: No, that's a that's a good point, and and that and that's one of the things that he's, uh, he's gonna have to improve on. He's gonna have to show because the teams are gonna sag off. The teams are gonna go under on that pick and roll. They're gonna flatten it out at the line. They're gonna say, hey, you make that eighteen footer, you make that twenty three footer, you know, you put it up over the top and show us he can do it.
Speaker 10: So far he's unable to do that.
Speaker 11: That's one of the things he's gonna have to get better on if he's gonna get any kind of sustained run, you know, as as a lead point guard in this league.
Speaker 2: All Right, we will catch you quick breaks Mandy's liven Studio coming up next. Some old friends were in town last night, Rudy Gobert, Joe Ingles, Mike Conley, Nikhil, Alexander Walker. We'll talk about the Jazz t Wolves game, look at to the schedule that lies ahead, and maybe do some other NBA trade deadline stuff. But sat out for the ESPN seven hundred, one thous thousand dollars cash giveaway. Get a thousand bucks to pay your bills. Text pay right now to five oh eight seven seven seven to one thousand. Text pay to five oh eight seven seven seven one thousand for a chance to win one thousand dollars in cash in this nationwide contest. Good luck from all of us at ESPN seven hundred. All right, Porter, I want you to I want you to get Trey on the phone and just just tell him that he's dead to me. That's all I just you can you can text him just say hey, you're dead, dispense.
Speaker 1: Can you do that real quick? I'll give him you a pick.
Speaker 2: So some breaking news that should have come through us here, but RSL will add Nick Romando's name to the stadium Ring of Honor at America First Field against DC United on June the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Nick he started his career. I think no, he just played for DC.
Speaker 2: Then RSL traded for Nick Romando after their starting keeper Scott Garlic retired to take a real estate job.
Speaker 3: I'll just say it wasn't the story. Yeah, he got a real estate gig, Scott Garlic.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, I'll never forget it. This was kind of my intro to MLS. We're in a staff meeting and the general manager of the time gets a tax.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, you're starting keeper.
Speaker 2: Scott Garlic has decided to retire because he got a job in real estate.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, what, m well's come a long way.
Speaker 2: It has, but we had to pivot trade for Nick Romando, who became the wall of the Wahsatch and so he'll have his name on the Ring of honor.
Speaker 1: So excited for Nicky. You got a hot Nick Romono tech.
Speaker 10: He says that that is so well deserved.
Speaker 11: He was such a stable force for ourself for over a decade and you know what a great guy and still in the community, active in the community.
Speaker 10: And that's a great and deserving honor for Nick.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine sitting in a meeting with Scott Laden and the brain trust back in the day and suddenly you get a message that Antoine Carr is retiring because he got a good job selling homes.
Speaker 11: Hey now, but the question would be, well he got into a Scott got into real estate? Was that making more money than he was making for RSL?
Speaker 1: And this was MLS in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: I mean absolutely, and I believe it's worked out very well for Scott, who's a very smart, very nice guy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, so, you know, hey, that's all. That's all part of the real world stuff. And you know it was another generation ago, of course. But you know, back in Jerry Sloan's day when he was playing in the sixties and seventies, most of the star players in the NBA had other jobs in the off season that they did to supplement their income because they didn't make that much money at that time. You know, it's weird to think of guys like Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West and what those guys would be making now and what the NBA is paying is.
Speaker 10: A whole nother world.
Speaker 1: It sure is.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you imagine getting a phone call and it's like, hey, would you like to buy some car life insurance? This is Larry Marketing from the Utah. So I'm trying to supplement my income.
Speaker 11: Hey, hey, hot Rod. Hot Rod left the Lakers and retired in order to go work full time for Converse in the mid sixties because he could make more money working for convert.
Speaker 2: That's wild man. That's wild all right, we won't do anything on the All start. Let me just ask you this the new All Star Game format where it's gonna be these All Star players from either conference broken up into three teams and they're gonna have a little mini tournament and the fourth team will be the winner of the Rising Stars Challenge.
Speaker 1: Does this do anything at all? Do you think it raises the interest?
Speaker 2: I only bring it up because for NBA fans at a certain age, all Star Weekend, once upon a time was awesome.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: You had Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins going up against each other and slam dunk contest. You had Larry Bird winning three point shoo shooting contest. You had two All Star teams that played hard. And when the greatest basketball players on Earth show up and play hard, I am of the opinion that it's the greatest game. We just don't see it like we used to.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, it's I don't know what this new format is going to do. I don't know if any you know. One of the things is when when I was younger and you'd watch the All Star Game, there there was some affinity for the guys in the West or the guys in the East, and you actually rooted for them. Now it's just a mishmash of guys. It's in uh, you know some you know, level of exhibition that's not you know, really compelling. I don't think to the average basketball fan, you know, I think you know, more attention is probably going to be made, you know, at the current moment right now about who didn't make the All Star team, right whether you whether you want to argue for Trey Young, you know, who should be on the All Star team, or you want to argue for Demonta Bonus, who's for the second year in a row, has been the biggest snub to me like that. That's just unconscionable by the coaches, you know, not to put somebody like him on the All Star team for the way he works and the kind of guy he is.
Speaker 10: And all that kind of stuff. You know.
Speaker 11: But but it's that, you know, a few of those guys will get in any way, because some of the guys who got voted in.
Speaker 10: Has always happened.
Speaker 11: Somebody has an injury, somebody decides at the last minute, I'm not going to play because I got a rest for the second half.
Speaker 10: Or whatever.
Speaker 11: So a few of those guys will probably get in any way at the last minute, but it's always an interesting argument at this moment in time, several days after it's announced all the reserves, like who didn't make it and who should be in.
Speaker 2: So the Minnesota Timberwolves rolling to town last night, whenever one of our former players comes into town, it's fun to kind of talk about in reminists or six former players or several former players, certainly, but let's kind of go down the list here. And you know, when the Rudy Gobert trade went down, the narrative around the NBA was like, wait, the Jazz got what for? Go Beart, And I felt like I was the only voice pushing back saying, well, hold on a second, let's just let's wait and see, because you know better than anybody the way Rudy impacts winning when he's healthy, when he's right, Minnesota over the past couple of years has had a team that's like right there, kind of like you guys did with Gilbert and Mitchell, but not necessarily a team that's broken through.
Speaker 1: They've been better as of late.
Speaker 2: Rudy when you look at the numbers more or less has been the same player for them as he was for you.
Speaker 1: A little bit of a.
Speaker 2: Dip, but you know, as somebody that was there when you drafted him and got to know him and watched him evolve from this gangly kid who could barely run up and down the floor to the best defensive player of this generation.
Speaker 1: How should we look back on the nine years when we had Rudy here?
Speaker 11: Well, you know that was a team that that that grew together. You know, Rudy came in, he spent two different stints in in the G League, like you a little known Trivia Spence his first G League coach when when and one of my jobs at that time was with the Jazz was to go with our players if they got assigned to a G League team, to make sure they assimilated okay, and they were the team was going to use them the way the Jazz wanted to see improvement and blah blah blah and all that stuff. But he with the Bakersfield and his coach there was Will Voight, who is now the lead assistant for b YU men's basketball with Kevin Young, and he was the guy who who helped Rudy a lot in some of his footwork and post work and stuff UH at Bakersfield at that time. But Rudy, you know, Rudy worked his way up the ladder. We've talked about that before and and earned his place in the NBA that he has now his standing, and that was through a lot of his own determination and and hard work and and UH and wanting to be as good as he could be. And that team grew together. Dennis Lindsay did a great job of piecemealing, putting one one guy after another, whether it was Rudy, whether it was Uh drafting Donovan was bringing in Joe Ingles who had just gotten cut from from the Clippers, whether it was getting boy On Bogdanovich. You know, all these guys, you know, piecing together into a team that for a stretch over five year period, had the best, had the most wins of any team in the Western Conference, won two division titles, and one year I had the best wreck in the NBA. Okay stumbled in the playoffs, but I had a team that was built to win at that time, and Rudy was a centerpiece of that. And then when Ryan Smith and his group came in, they decided that you know, in their way that that they didn't think it was good enough, and so they traded everybody and broke it all down and got all these draft picks and assets that they're now trying to work through and trying to figure out how to rebuild the team. But those got you know, Rudy and that group, that was a great group to work with. They were all great guys, and they all grew together into a unit that was really one of the top top five teams in the NBA at one point in time.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep going down the list.
Speaker 2: And I thought one of the really fun moments last night was at the end of the game because Joe Ingles at the age of thirty seven with a surgically repaired knee. I even said postgame last night, after four minutes, my knee hurt. Like he is probably at the end of his career, and you know, he really will go down in history as one of the more beloved, kind of like cult figure players we've ever had here. As I often say, he looks like he lives in his car, But he turned into a really good basketball player, broke the Jazz record for three point shots made, and really endeared himself to the fan base because you know, I remember when that team started to evolve and people would say, hey, what do they need And I'd be like, you know, they need a player like Gordon Hayward. When he's out, like the small Ford spot, I'll always look back.
Speaker 1: You know, we can't do it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean anything, but you needed somebody to fill that spot. And Joey, I think, became a better player than I ever thought he could be. And the OKC series where he's messing with Paul George and shutting him down a little bit. So he rolls back into town last night as he probably exits stage left after this year to go down his life and kids when they and the kids are in Orlando, they stayed there as as he's as he is in Minnesota. Can I ask you the same question as you watched Joe go from who I called on air Dante Exem's babysitter, when you signed it to a legitimate starting, very good small forward for you guys, what was that process like?
Speaker 10: No, he was Joe, Joe came in. He was a very good player.
Speaker 11: You know, one of the main stays of the Australian national Olympic team. UH for a lot of years played over in Europe. Was you know, had had a few good years over in Europe. Played actually with one of the Jazz front office guys, Uh now Sean James. They played together over and over in Tel Aviv and and Uh had a couple of great years and they're great friends. And Joe came over, tried to get in the NBA, got cut by the Clippers. Dennis liked him, brought him in, knew he shoot, knew that he was a good passer, but he had to get his body in better shape. And Joe's credit, he looked at him self and realize, Okay, this is my shot. I gotta take advantage of this. And he took full advantage of it, got in better shape, got himself able to move better, and because of his length and his size at six ' eight, could pass from the wing, could make open shots. And he did that for a number of years for the Jazz.
Speaker 10: The other thing about.
Speaker 11: Joe is that he brought an unusual mixture of toughness on the floor and getting into guys heads on the floor, but then coming off and getting on the bench and joking, having fun and making light of situations on the bench with his teammates to keep everything loose and fun for them, and and he was that way in the locker room, on the road, what have you. But it's an unusual mixture when you have both of those things that one guy can do and do effectively for your team, and then be a guy who's willing and the smart enough to understand I have a certain role. I'm going to fit into this slot here, and I'm just gonna do that, and I'm gonna let the other guys do what they do to help us to affect winning. And that's that's one of his great characteristics was recognizing that and be able to put that into effect on the floor for a team that was a constant winner while he was here.
Speaker 2: Let me ask a follow off about Joe because and I'll tell you off air where this came down. But somebody with the organization heard me on air talk about what a locker room leader he seemed to be, what kind of like a glue guy he seemed to be. And I can remember somebody asked Gordon Heyward who his best friend was on the team, and he said Joe, which I found kind of interesting. And then during the whole Rudy Donovan thing. It felt like Joe was kind of the only one that was kind of like, dude, can we not do this please? What's real about the type of locker room guy Joe was?
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, well Joe, Joe remember people forget that that in the Gordon Hayward summer when he left, Joe was also a free agent, right, and Joe went to Joe was in l A and uh Dennis and a couple of guys went to l A met with Joe and said, hey, we have a meeting with Gordon uh In in a couple of days, you know, but we want you to come back. We want you to make sure you know, uh, you know what what we're trying to figure out here, what we're trying to keep together. And Joe told them, hey, don't worry about me, Okay, you got to go worry about Gordon, get him figured out, make sure he's okay whatever, and my my thing, you know, will will be good, you know, don't worry about it. And he was that kind of guy who's you know, who was always a team guy. He was always in on what's going to help us as a group, to help us to be able to sustain winning you know, on a regular basis. And whatever that's gonna be, is that me starting and playing thirty six minutes, Is it me coming off the bench and playing eighteen minutes, Is it me coming in the second quarter and just trying to rattle the other team's leading score defensively and then come down on offense and make a play here, whatever it's gonna be, I'm gonna be that guy who's gonna try and do that for our group, not only for the benefit of the whole, but also because he felt that that showed some leadership to the other guys, that that's how they should be playing. That that was part of Joe's value to the group that sometimes I think goes unrecognized and that he doesn't get enough credit for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've always just kind of wondered exactly what's real and what's not because I know at times maybe he could great on people with the ability I suppose to be very witty and sometimes very sharp, and we live in a state where some passive aggressive tendencies exist and sometimes people get their feelings hurt.
Speaker 1: Was Is there anything there?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 11: But but Joe was great. Joe was you know what you saw out there? On the floor. That's who Joe was, in the locker room, on the plane, you know, at the hotel, on the road whatever. You know, Joe is a genuine guy and that's why everybody, everybody on the team liked him. The coaches loved him, they loved working with him. He understood and he was a good connector between the coaching staff and the players. If there was ever anything going on, the coaches, you know, Quinn Snyder, his staff, Alice Jnson, they could go, you know to Joe and go, hey, Joe, you know, we think it's such and such as a vibe.
Speaker 10: So no, I got it. I got it.
Speaker 11: And Joe would go and Joe would you know, would wait to day or later in the day or whatever, would be on the plane and and and he was a guy who could talk to the other players and and and uh rationalize with them about what was happening and and you know what they needed to address as a group. But he had that status, right, he had that standing. You know, people people know him as a guy from Australia and you know, a good player for the just but he's a big time guy and a big time name in Australia. And uh, you know he's he's one of those guys in Australian basketball lore. And for him to be able to come here and assimilate himself into this culture.
Speaker 10: Meaning the NBA, and then be able.
Speaker 11: To have that kind of a standing within a team and within a team that was good and a team that was competitive every night, and to be able to find that niche where he he created value for himself both as a player on the floor in the middle of a game and also off the floor as a team leader, recognized you know, by by his peers as such, you know, was it was a big deal for us at that time.
Speaker 2: One more player, with all due respect to Nikhil Alexander Walker, who's actually played well in Minnesota, really could not get off the bench while I was here very much on a Quinn. Let's talk about Mike by Conley, who did not play last night and who sadly this is the first year I've watched him, and I've thought, okay, all right, it might be time. But you know, as I always say, play till somebody tells you can't. If somebody wants to sign you and page, just keep playing. And I can remember Dennis because Dennis used to come on the radio show every week. It's hard to believe in this day and age of NBA teams being so clandestine that we had that access. And I can remember Dennis always he used to say one line he said, at some point, we'll want to expedide the process with the right vetro right. And Mike was the guy you guys decided to go get. And I loved it because I love him. Who doesn't, not just as a guy, but he when he was at his peak, he was among the elite decision makers with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 1: Pick and roll.
Speaker 2: Since you got you, you know the deal you guys made the trade. Take us through that when you realize, like, okay, we've got something. If we can find the right vet expat, the process will do it. And then how you landed on him.
Speaker 11: That's right and and and Mike was a was a very good player obviously in Memphis for over a decade. Uh, there was an opportunity to to to go ahead and get him. The price was we thought at the time it was a little high, uh for what it was. But but we had to we had to look at everything. We had to put everything on the table. And we had to recognize that we had a unique opportunity at that moment in time to add a top level point guard and a veteran who had been through some wars UH to our group that we thought was the one piece that was missing.
Speaker 10: He came in, Oh, our group made that move.
Speaker 11: He became He became an All Star his only All Star appearance. While while he was with the Jazz UH, he instantly became a leader. You know, we we we knew his reputation around the league. We knew that he was one of the all time great guys UH that that other players just rallied around. And he just had that certain low spoken, kind of low energy charisma, if that makes any sense, that people gravitated to and and and he was just one of those guys that fit right in seamlessly. And it was a great move by Dennis. It was. We gave up quite a bit to get him and probably overpaid uh for what you would would say was what you were getting in return, but not in our judgment at that time. What he brought to the group and finished a piece of that puzzle that we had been working on for years to try and get us, you know, over the hump, and we believed at that time and and and stuck by our guns that he that was the move to make. And uh and Dennis was able to pull it off, and and he had an all star year for the Jazz, and then we were right there. And I had a couple of stumbles in the playoffs. Okay, you don't like that. Okay, that's why you didn't like to, you know, whatever it is. But you know, to me, I've always felt that you can't discount what a team or a group did over an eighty two game, six month season relative to what happened in three games in one week in the spring.
Speaker 10: It just, you know, you can't do that. Some teams get hot.
Speaker 11: Okay, Miami got hot a few years ago out of the eighth spot and had a couple of things fall their way, and all of a sudden, they're in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 10: Okay, they did that.
Speaker 11: The Jazz had had better teams, had winning teams, had best reckon in the league, blah blah blah whatever, and they stumbled a few times in the playoffs, and and then other decisions were made from there about that. But Mike Conley played such an important role and stabilizing that team at a time when that's.
Speaker 10: What that group needed. And he was really good for us in that period of time that he was here.
Speaker 2: You know, to your point, and I discussed this all the time. And it's not just an NBA thing. It's an NFL thing, it's a Major League Baseball thing, it's a hockey thing, it's a soccer thing.
Speaker 1: Like winning is fleeting, success is fleeting.
Speaker 2: And you have to enjoy when you have the opportunity to just get Like in the NBA that always say do you have a shot?
Speaker 1: You have a shot this year?
Speaker 2: In the years that you can answer that question clear eyed, yes are the years that are really fun. But when they're gone and you're in this space where jazz fans are driving to the stadium most every night, at the arena most every night saying we have no shots and we know we don't have a shot, and we know the deal, we know why they're doing this, it just makes you look back on years like you guys had with Gobert and Mitchell and Quinn and obviously all the way back to John and Carl and some Darren and booz year's too. Is really funny that you probably didn't appreciate as much because we can be spoiled around here, you.
Speaker 11: Know, well we you know, and I can tell you Spence, the those of us who are privileged enough and lucky enough to be on the inside and be part of those things as they were happening, our group never took those things for granted, and we never we never thought that we were smarter than the next guy.
Speaker 10: Or knew more than somebody else. You know.
Speaker 11: We recognize that it was all about getting the right players, in getting the players to work together, getting the right coaching group, whether it was Jerry Sloan or whether it was Ty Corbyn, whether it was Quinn Snyder, getting the right guys and with a group to work together to try and work in the same direction. That is a difficult thing to do in pro sports, and one of our our responsibilities, going all the way back to when Frank Laden was both the general manager and the head coach in the eighties, was was the notion that we have to get the right kind of guys in the spots and they have to have talent, they have to have skill, but they have to be the right have the right mindset to want to work together as a group, and if you can piece that together and do those things, then you're gonna have a better chance at some level of sustained success. And we had a lot of that over those years, and a lot of it was because of all the work that was done uh in the background, behind the scenes to try and get the right kind of guy, whether it was a Jeff Horni sec to plug In, or whether it was Carlos Boozer or Memento core to plug In and their their skill sets and what they brought to the group with their personalities, or whether it was you know, a young Gordon Hayward or later of Mike Conley guys, Joe Ingles, guys who brought other things to the table that helped you as a group to be able to have a chance every night. And that's what the Jazz are looking for now with the young guys. They're trying to figure out and we've used this analogy before, Spence, but it's just like the old guy mining for gold in the river and you put a bunch of you put the big pan in the water and you sift it and you sift it and all the rocks and the sand and everything comes through and you hope that at some point you get a couple of gold nuggets that end up in the pan and you can use going forward. And that's the process that the Jazz currently find themselves in.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do have a couple of recent examples of smaller markets being your cousin who drove up to Idaho and bought a lottery ticket, came back and won the thing with Jokicchen Denver and Giannis and Milwaukee, and we'll see what Luca does in Dallas, and we'll end with this.
Speaker 1: You know, Lowry is not.
Speaker 2: Any of those players, but he's the best player on this roster. And we've topped about this over the past couple of weeks. And Tom Haberstrow, who joins ushow every Monday, has some data on this. When teams and okase he did this with Shay and Lowry's not Shay. I'm not saying that, but when teams ask legitimate star players to be part of this process, which part of it is you're not playing every night, And part of it is, hey, Lowry has your back. Oh it's great, No, it's not sorry, it hurts, you know, And what's undeniable is Lowry's numbers are down across the board. They just are shooting percentages splitch. You can get into the weeds on Basketball Reference. He's doing nothing better this year than he did last year or certainly the year before when he was an All Star. What's the danger of asking a twenty seven year old franchise pillar to be part of this? And is there a danger that you're wasting part of his prime before I set you loose lender.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but it's the danger is if you have a guy who's not buying into what's going on right right and with lowry market, and all signs point to the fact that he understands, you know, he was here, he had a chance to play out as a as a free agent and uh and choose where he would want to go the second half of his career. That's how the collective bar agreement works in the NBA. He chose to sign the long term extension because he likes playing in Salt Lake, he likes the community, he likes living here.
Speaker 10: It's a lot of it has to do with his background.
Speaker 11: And his upbringing, you know, in Finland, and and some of the similarities of living in Salt Lake and outside of Helsinki and all those kinds of things which are real life things, but his family likes being here. He knew what the deal was when he signed the extension. He knew that it was going to be some growing pains, and he bought into that. And that's what you need. You need a guy who who understands the landscape and is willing to be part of that with you. Yeah, his numbers are down this year. I attribute that just to being the fact that he doesn't have as much help and the other teams are playing are now gearing on him, and they know, hey, if we slow marketing, then those guys aren't gonna have much of a chance to win because of the limited help he has. And so part of that is on uh is on that cause for other teams targeting him and and him not trying to do too much. He's just playing, playing his game and and and he'll be fine. He'll be fine, And if they can get him some help, then he'll be able to also go along with that and hopefully be able to see a light down somewhere at the end of that long tunnel.
Speaker 1: Smitty, great to see, my friend.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the real world where it's not a greas and sunny every day and you don't have little drinks with umbrellas and all you can eat food. So welcome back to Islamita with the rest of us.
Speaker 11: It feels like that spence whenever I'm with you. That's that's the vision I get, the.
Speaker 1: Great Richard Smith. Before we catch a break.
Speaker 2: It's time now for our you went to golf PGA Tour updates, and that's brought to you by our good friends of course, that you went to golf for. They've got a bunch of deals right now prior to the season, which we'll get going here pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Out to Ping.
Speaker 2: The new G four to four zero driver delivers faster ball speeds along with Ping's game changing forgiveness. The G four to forty irons are designed for more distance and control it you went to golf. It's five sixty East, twenty one hundred south. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations, you made a weekend time, big old deep breath. You got out of bed every day right, probably didn't feel like it some days, but you did it. And now it is weekend time on this Friday afternoon, in the five o'clock hour, we've had a really really fun show, really busy show with a lot of good guests. It's in college basketball right out of the gates today with Spencer and Nelson, former Utah State Aggie Talked Utah State, talked to Utah and Talk BYU all three of our local teams. Utahs day with a big one tomorrow against New Mexico up at the spectrum. Utah States won three straight games. They are nineteen and two and they're atop the table at the Mountain West Conference standing side of things with the basketball situation concerning New Mexico and Utah State at nine and one, and those two teams meet tomorrow at the same spectrum. That was a really weird way to articulate that It's Friday, five o'clock hour, a little tired, So big game tomorrow for Utah State. Jared Calhoun, another Utah State coach, getting a lot of great results early on.
Speaker 1: BYU will travel do UCEF three.
Speaker 2: Their next four games are on the road, so they'll see UCF tomorrow and then they're back home against Arizona next week on the road against Cincinnati and West Virginia. BYU with their recent run of play after that lost to Utah. They've shot up to thirty eight in the net according to ken Pom, and they're five and four in conference fourteen and six overall.
Speaker 1: That's good for tie with Baylor.
Speaker 2: Right beyond Houston, who has not lost a conference game, Arizona eight and one, Iowa State, Texas Tech seven and two, Kansas six and three. Then it's BYU and Baylor at five and four. The Utah crag Smith will join us coming up at about fifteen minutes right now, hit the road to take on Oklahoma State after beating Cincinnati at home. Utah actually has a really interesting opportunity in front of them, but they're gonna have to play well on the road, you know, in college basketball, certainly in a conference like the Big twelve, second probably only to the SEC this year. If you want to find you know, eight, nine to ten conference wins, you've got to play well at home first of all.
Speaker 1: Then you've got to go steal a couple on the road.
Speaker 2: Utah did get one on the road early at TCU, but three of their next four games are on the road, just like BYU. But their only home again Colorado, was very winnable, so at Oklahoma State winnable basketball game home against Colorado. Colorado might be the worst team in a conference. Oklahoma State two and three in conference play. Then they're at West Virginia and at Cincinnati. They've already beat Cincinnati. Cincinnati's two and seven in conference. West Virginia is good. They're solid at four and five, which is where Utah is at thirteen and seven, So that's not going to be an easy game. But you come home to take on Kansas and Kansas State. Then it's at UCF at Arizona. The schedule after the next four games really gets difficult. So if Utah has any premon issue of being an NCAA tournament team, right now is the time for them to get some results. Certainly with games there are some It's not really breaking news out of the NBA, but with the NBA trade deadline right around the corner, sham Shararnia from ESPN is reporting both Golden State and the Phoenix Suns are aggressively pursuing Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 1: Now is that a true report?
Speaker 2: Is that Miami planting that story to leverage the situation to get a better deal. Who knows, but Jimmy Butler and de Aaron Fox now dearon Fox is a really really talented point guard from Sacramento, and ultimately they've decided to move all along from him, according to reports. But nothing nothing new as of now when it comes to news, tangible news on the NBA trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Of course, we are just.
Speaker 2: About ten days away, nine ten days away from Super Bowl fifty nine. We had Terrell Burgess on earlier. Terrell's really really good at the media stuff. He was with Buffalo earlier this year. He was part of that great twenty nineteen Utah football team and he suffered an injury was released. He is now out back in California, trying to stay healthy to get potentially another shot to play some pro football before he decides what's next. He is only twenty six years old, so hopefully ultimately he'll be able to get another opportunity to play some football before he gets into the next phase of his life.
Speaker 1: But we talked some youute.
Speaker 2: Football, we talked some college football, we talked some Super Bowl, some pro football with Terrell Burgess earlier, and then we just did an hour in studio with Richard Smith, who is now back in town after a number of weeks on vacation. So I always appreciate Smitty stopping buy to do little Jazz. Jazz were in action last night against Minnesota. Some old friends in town and we kind of discussed with Smitty the dynamics of watching the Rudy Goberts of the world, the Joe Ingles of the world, Mike Conley, as well the three main cogs on the team. The kil Alexander Walker is also a Timberwolf. But I thought Smitty had some really interesting perspective on just how that group was able to grow together, what it was like to watch Rudy grow together. You know, it's an exercise in futility, but I'll always want what the Jazz could have looked like if they just decided to do the Mitchell deal and then hang out, then hung on to go beart, because the Donovan deal did bring you lowry marketing, right, and so you know, if you kept Mike Coley, And obviously Mike is now in the phase of his career where he's in the December of his pro basketball career and he's ready to probably step aside. Didn't play last night, but when Mike has played this year, he just looks like a point guard that's aged, but you know, a couple of years, maybe left with Mike Conley.
Speaker 1: If if you hold on to.
Speaker 2: Everybody outside of Mitchell, what does that team look like? A lowry marketing Rudy Gobert front court. You know you had Boyan Bogdanovitch. You don't move on from him. You keep Royce O'Neil, you keep Mike Conley, even Joe. I guess Joe was heart of the time. But you know, whenever these players roll back into town, it's kind of interesting to do some of these exercises to see what it would have been like if you decided to do things a little bit differently. Does Quinn stay if they just move on from Donovan and not go Beart. I mean, Quinn obviously didn't want to work for this new ownership group, neither did Dennis Lindsay, and then Quinn himself said during his postgame press or he just didn't see any traction forward. But would there have been more traction forward with this team if you just do the Mitchell deal and keep go Bear. Who knows rumors out there that John Collins is being shocked potentially to the Sacramento Kings.
Speaker 1: Not sure what that would look like.
Speaker 2: I thought somebody made some good points about Colin Sexton, because we ultimately talk about Colin oftentimes as a much older player, because he's not as young as sense of Ba or Kyante or Philipowski or call youer or whatever. He's twenty six years old and he's in the midst of yet another pretty efficient year. He has become a forty two percent three point shooter, and he does bring energy in a way that really no one else on the roster does.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's just kind of how it is, I will say.
Speaker 2: And we talked about this a little bit earlier that Isaac Callier he's got some juice in them that I'm not sure that I thought that he did. When you look at his splits over his thirteen starts, he's about eleven points. He's about eight assists. You love the eight assists. His turnovers are problematic, just like Kantes are. But he has league guard tendancies and vision and feel that Kiante just doesn't. So Kyante now has been coming off the bench for four games, and I thought Kiante was really good last night, the best game he's had since coming off the bench. Knocked down all seven of shots I only turned the ball over once in.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven minutes to play.
Speaker 2: I had twenty three points on seven shots, which is ludicris and I played twenty seven minutes, So that's kind of a rotational change that I do think actually means something.
Speaker 1: Go Beart eight Walkers Lunch.
Speaker 2: Last night, the head to head matchup between Walker Kestler and Rudy Gobert was very one sided. Rudy kind of did last night, when Rudy does more often than not every single night. Was sixteen points, nine boards, four blocks, but he did add five assists. I don't even I wonder how many times Rudy Gobert had five assists in a jazz uniform. My guess is you could count on one hand without looking it up. Walker in twenty seven minutes one of six from the floor, go bear, blocked him a couple of times, didn't shoot a free throw, only had eight rebounds, did not block a shot.
Speaker 1: That was a pretty one sided matchup.
Speaker 2: For the media brigade out here that believes Walker Castler is in Rudy Gobert's.
Speaker 1: Category, just stop it. Maybe one day he gets there.
Speaker 2: But I know there are a lot of people that cover the jazz right actual things on paper for outlets to cover. The Jazz that made the point that Rudy and Walker were similar, Walker was far ahead of him in certain areas, like that's a silly thing to say. Gobert, four time Defensive Player of the Year. He is a Hall of Famer no matter how you swing it. So Jazz welcomed in some old friends last night. They've lost now eight straight games. That is a season high. Jazz are ten and thirty six on the year, and they are now jockeying with Washington for the title of the worst team in pro basketball. Busy night in the NBA tonight, a couple of games already going on. Clippers and the Hornets are early on, so are the Mavericks and the Pistons. ESPN will have the Nuggets in the seventy six ers. Will Joe l Embiid actually show up to play against Nicola Jokic. He tends to dodge him from time to time. That game's about to tip off at about ten minutes. We got Bulls Raptors tonight, We've got Celtics, Pelicans, Buck Spurs, and the late night ESPN game is interesting only because the reports are both these two teams are currently actively aggressively pursuing Jimmy Butler, the Sons, and the Warriors from Chase Center in San Francisco. Phoenix is a one point five point favorite. There kind of a light news day locally. The Utah Hockey Club is in action tonight. They are at home, which means for the second straight game, you get to go through a fake exercise where you're pretending to vote for the team name and then you just give your information a qual tricks and go from there, and then they're just going to do whatever they want. The Utah Outlaws yesterday was implemented as a choice in lieu of made rest in peace, the Utah Lossatche. Then the Utah Mammoth is option number two. Then the Utah Hockey Club, which is my preferred choice, and the name of the team.
Speaker 1: Now is option number three. Porter.
Speaker 2: If I had to ask you two guests right now, when the dust settles and they just decide to do whatever they want to do anyway, the name of the hockey club here locally will be on I.
Speaker 3: Think if you ask me right now, I believe they are moving in the direction of the mammoths. The mammoth, sorry no plural. There I think mammoths would be better, to be honest, that's another conversation about how this whole process has gone. But I think they're inching in that direction. But like I said yesterday, the process, I don't like how they've done it. I don't like how they've been a little I think not transparent in what they're doing with the process. Despite all that, they have landed on three options, all of which I think move in a pretty good direction, pretty good branding, merch all of the above. So for that reason, I think they're in a good spot despite what I think the process has been.
Speaker 2: Utah Women welcome in Arizona's and I to the Huntsman Center here in Salt Lake City. If you're looking for something to do, head on up and support the lady who are fifteen and five on the year Arizona fourteen and eight. That game is on TV on FS one, and of course you can hear the game on our radio station. Right after we say good night at about six o'clock tonight, it's time now for our PGA Tour Leaderboard, brought to you by friends that you went to golf check out. You went to golf at five sixty East twenty one hundred south. The locations as well in Sandy Riverdale and Orum go to Worldwide golf Shops shops dot com right now. The new tailor made QI thirty five woods are the fourth generation of carbon wood technology. This driver unlocks a new level of distance that you went to golf five sixties twenty one hundred south. Moving day technically it's tomorrow, but a moving day for our guy, Tony Fenow, Local Project Local West Tye boy Tony Fenw jumped eleven spots today. Carting is sixty seven, good for five hundred par on the day, now ten under par for the tournament and he is tied for fourth. Also tied for fourth, Tom Kim, Justin Rose Stepstraca has had two sixty fives and he is fourteen under. That's good for a three stroke lead over Cam Davis and Russell Henley, who are at eleven under. A couple notables for you today, Lucas Glover Victor Hovlin are both at nine under par. Colin Morikawa, Patrick Cantlay, Shane Lowry, Rory McElroy and Justin Thomas are at.
Speaker 1: Eight under par. This is a jam pack leaderboard.
Speaker 2: Sam Burns, Ricky Fowler, Scottie Scheffler, they find themselves at seven under par so right in the mix. Jason Day, Hedeki Matsuam at five under man. A lot of big time players out there today. Ludvig Aber by the way, after a rough day with Drew and Wyndham Clark at three over is third to last. So some of the better players also struggling. So should be a fun weekend at the AT and T Pebble Beach pro Am at Spyglass Golf Club in Pebble Beach. So there you go, Stepstrawks, your leader at fourteen under park. All right, I had a little old Utah women's basketball coming your way. Coming up next the lady Utes, welcome in Arizona. That game is on television on FS one, but of course it is on this ratio. Is your home of the Ute CESPN seven hundred coming up? Is it our guy Tyson, my guy Tyson?
Speaker 1: And then Miley?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 1: Do I have the broadcasters corrector yes? Tyson?
Speaker 3: Miley Tyson ewing on the call and uh kicking tipping off, uh right about six thirty. But we'll we'll hand it over to him at six fifteen or so for a little pregame.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go, there you go, so happy Friday weekend time. Little Utah women's basketball coming up. The men are back in action. We caught up with Craig Smith today, which we don't get to do all that often. But a little road trip to Oklahoma State count up tomorrow. That is a one o'clock tip time, and then BYU will play an hour later on the road at UCF. Then Utah the Utah Jazz play an hour after that. Wow, three o'clock start for the Jazz and the Magic coming up tomorrow. Give me your So I teased it a little bit earlier. I said, I'm ready to talk about one player on the Jazz that I like more than I thought I would. And the player that I landed on was Isaiah Isaiah Callier. There's just there's something about physicality, There's something about his feel, there's something about his decision making, which is not always great. The turnover numbers for all these young guards through the roof, but you kind of expect that. My one concern is, and I talked to Smitty about this, can you really play thirty thirty five plus minutes a night as either a lead guard or a complimentary off the ball guard in pro basketball in twenty twenty five. If you can't shoot it from three, and I don't know the answer.
Speaker 3: To that, that's the main question. But I'm with you on on the call your stuff. I think there is some promise there. I don't know if I've heard heard Deer Smithy mention it, but he plays with such a good pace right now, not all the time. There are certain units that he works well with, there are certain units that he doesn't. But he plays with a feel of the game in the half court that sometimes it's tough to replicate. It's tough for young NBA guards to have that at all. So I'm with you there. I think he has shown some positives in that direction. But like you said, when you when you can't shoot it at a you know, a plus. It doesn't even have to be a forty percent three point shooter, but you can't shoot it at a thirty five thirty percent clip from range. That's going to be an issue at the NBA level. But hey, the Jazz have been pretty successful about getting guys who don't have great jumpers and turning them into two guys that do. Now, I know there's different fellas in the training staff and it's not as you know, not maybe the same folks there, but.
Speaker 1: There's promise there.
Speaker 5: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: So the Jazz are back in action tomorrow. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: Every time I fire up one of these Senior Bowl media members accounts, they're talking about Karane Reid and Junior Tafuna. So a couple of you shown out pretty well. Fun to visit with Terrell Burgess early on in the show, kind of revisit that twenty nineteen team. The Porter and I both think is among the most talented teams, maybe the most talented team that I've ever seen here in the state of Utah, just on paper. Not a lot of news right now in the world of college footballs you would expect.
Speaker 1: There's recruiting lists.
Speaker 2: Of course, there are the way too early projections with a twelve team CFP in the top twenty five that we kind of have some fun with on the program. We'll do a lot with the Super Bowl coming up next week, super Bowl fifty nine, which, by the way, we'll be on this radio station. We are the home of the biggest and best college and pro football games right here in the market. Kansas City is still a one point five point favorite, and the over under hasn't moved either. I'm stunned with the amount of money that's been on this game every year. I don't really love the current climate of where we find ourselves with the ability to gamble on sports, but I'm stunned that line has not moved. So I'll have a bunch of Super Bowl content for you coming up. The NFL free agency is right around the corner as well, but we'll get out of here for a Friday edition of the show and make some space for Tyson and Miley. Coming up next, Utah women's basketball taking on Arizona should be a good one. Porter what comes our way. On a Monday edition of this radio program.
Speaker 3: A Monday edition of The Drive, we'll talks men daily assist with our guy Tom Haberstrow, some utes with our guy Josh Furlong. We'll talk about that Utah Hockey club. The latest in mascot world. They're doing more voting this weekend, so who knows what we'll know on Monday with Belle Frazier, and then I believe maybe on Monday, maybe during the week later on, but Bill Riley going to have the Voice of the Utes, Onto Talk Utes for sure, but also the Super Bowl week in which his chiefs play for the Big One.
Speaker 2: And I got to ask Bill about the upcoming match up between the Utes and the Jayhawks. My man's gonna be calling a Jayhawks game. I'm not sure every thought he'd be doing that, So we'll get to that with Bill as well. Congrats to Nick Romando Is announced today the Knick's name will be in the Ring of Honor at America First Field with the other legends for RSL, and we will say good night special thank you today Spencer Nelson, Trell Burgess, Craig Smith and Richard Smith. For any of this sound you may have missed from the show today, you can go to the website, which is ESPN's seven hundred Sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app this weekend take us on the go. It's free, it's easy to do. It's the ESPN seven hundred app, available in the App Store the Google play Store. Then, finally, for what we do every afternoon for four hours support and check out our podcast page twenty twenty five. You probably listen to pods. Wherever you get your pods ours is there so search the Drive with Spence check Its. Please subscribe to rate and review, say nice things in the comments and give us all the stars, and it helps us bring attention to what we do every day. If you're a fan of ours, we would appreciate it. This weekend, reporter, I'm spent saying and I have a great weekend. Begin to yourself, begin to each other. We'll talk to you on a Monday Drive and as always, you can find that right here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two ONEFM. Proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio Network.