Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Coming up late in the show, of course, our nine news nuggets. You need to know. I haven't been able to do those together for a couple of weeks. And then the gas fantasy for play. This is officially the first week we're going to be able to do it week two of the season. Like you say, always crazy, it's always a crap show. Week one can be deceiving because week one is just any other Sunday.
Speaker 1: Well, and nobody plays preseason anymore, so you're kind of just getting all the wrinkles out, figuring it all out. Jim Harbaugh says there's no more progress than in between week one and week two for a team for the whole year.
Speaker 2: That's one way to put it. President former President Trump spent his night in Los Angeles and he is expected to give a news conference down a Rancho palace vertice outside of his golf course. Although it's supposed to be an hour ago, then they changed its nine fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yesterdays it to tim oh okay, so now he's only sent now hour seven minutes late, President Trump says he will not debate Vice President Harris again, as appears to be an outstanding invitation. In a recent post on x CBS News, says the outlet invited both candidates to take part in a debate. It would also be hosted by Univision and The Wall Street Journal. It would take place at ASU next month. But he posted yesterday on True's social he would not take part in any more debates, saying that the polls showed he won this week's contest.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not sure where those polls are, but more power to him. We talked to just briefly about that whole Taylor swift endorsement of Kamala Harris and if it means anything. Vote dot gov reported that her endorsement of Harris and the call to register to vote brought in more than four hundred thousand visitors to the federal government's voter registration site. Now that's just visitors. It does don't necessarily translate to four hundred thousand people registered to vote, but it is a significant proof that what she says, whether you like it or not, and whether you think it's important or not, does bring with it some gravitas.
Speaker 1: I'll say this. I opened up Instagram yesterday I believe, and there was a like a little banner it said are you registered to vote? Click here for registration, So that may if that was an Instagram push that went out yesterday, that may be part of it as well.
Speaker 2: Fires. We got three fires, of course, that are burning throughout southern California, a couple of different places I mentioned, you know, flying in from Nashville on Wednesday night, you could see smoke several states away connected to these fires. In this case, the largest fire that's burning right now in the state is the Bridge Fire at fifty one eight hundred and eighty four acres, about three percent contained. This is the one that is up sort of in that right Wood area that's started in La County, expanded up over the mountains. The Line Fire at twenty one percent containment, is just under thirty eight thousand acres farther out in San Barnardino County, and then the Airport fire down an Orange and Riverside Counties about eight percent containment twenty three almost twenty four thousand acres. So all of that continues to go on. The best news is the incredible heat wave that we saw just last week appears to be gone. I mean, it was chilly to the point of sweatshirt last night, because we're pansys in California and anything below seventy requires a sweatshirt now. But it was nice and cool, and that means that the humidity is going up in those areas where the fires are burning, so at the very least it does tamp down some of the wild exaggerated fire behavior.
Speaker 1: I'll just say this last week was so hot and so miserable. How hot was it the face of the sun, and it was awful and miserable. And then one day it dropped ten degrees. Promptly put on boots and a sweater because I was just so excited to do so. That it was getting closer to nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, but it was something that brought you some relief. Also a quick note, the CHP issued an amber alert for a three month old boy who hasn't been seen for a month. Three month old Zachariah bro spelled the Louisiana Way b r Eaux. Investigators believe the baby was taken by his mother, twenty one year sorry, twenty eight year old Unique Bro. She does not have custody of him legally. According to CHP, Zachariah is twenty two inches tall. He only weighs ten pounds three wow, black hair, brown eyes. Unique bro describe black woman five four, one hundred and thirty pounds, black hair, and brown eyes. And they did not issue a card description with this because they said it's believed that she's on foot and they do not know exactly where they are, so one of those things that they're they're keeping an eye out for. I wanted to bring back I forgot to mention this when it comes to the line fire. Justin Halstenberg, the guy that was arrested for arson, has been charged. He was in court today, I believe charged one count I aggravated arson, one count of arson causing great bodily injury, one of arson of an inhabited structure of property, three counts, on and on and on. He will be arraigned today. To be clear, They said that his mother has come to his defense. And I don't know why this is a giant surprise, but mom, who the La Times points out has been battling cancer, spoke out in her son's defense, texting the La Times, I do want to say this about my baby boy. He did not light that fire. I repeat, he did not light that fire. There are things that he does that I do not approve prove of, but that he is not an arsonist.
Speaker 1: I always like it when I used to cover murder trials and the only one who would vouch for the defendant is the mother. There should be a rule because as long as there are people inhabiting planet Earth, there will be mothers defending their sons no matter what they do. It's just human nature.
Speaker 3: The rule.
Speaker 1: It's not a knock, it's just the way mothers are wired, that way they're built exactly.
Speaker 2: There should be a rule that you don't quote mom unless she says her son did it yes, because everybody the assumption, the default is going to be that she's going to defend herself.
Speaker 1: I go back to the book Defending Jacob spoiler alert. The mother defends her son so much to the end that she kills herself with him to protect him and everybody else because she knows how bad he is. Awful, darky dark. It was a book from like thirty years ago, so.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes it better.
Speaker 1: The my shake app. Speaking of voter registration, people are registering to get the mice shake app alerts, which I think would be an anxiety mess. Like if I got an alert right now said that you're about to have an earthquake.
Speaker 2: I would have a heart attack. You wouldn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: I would rather just be surprised.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's funny Amy mentioned yesterday. I think Amy, you said you got it. You got the shake alert alert while it was shaking, like while the earthquake was going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were going I think we're having an earthquake, and we're kind of bouncing around and then and then the alert started yeah, and said drop and cover and I was in too late. I like that we were kind of bouncing around. That paints a good picture.
Speaker 2: Governor Newsom did sign a new smash and Grab bill, one of these of a one of a group of bills that was proposed by the legislature. We'll talk about that in a little bit. Also, panty theft coming up, did you? And then this weird story at eleven thirty, I'll tell you about this story. Something happened that caused the earth to vibrate for nine days.
Speaker 1: Right, it was a tsunami and they didn't know about it. Did you feel it?
Speaker 2: Did you feel it?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel it.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Shannon Shannon Shannon. Guys stealing women's underwear and panties. That's been going on since what freaking eighteen hundreds, And then when the laundromats started and they found them in there and the dryers left behind, guess where they went.
Speaker 2: They went home with the dude.
Speaker 4: Oh, come on, that men's stealing women's underwear and stuff's been going on forever.
Speaker 1: Why That's why I want to know why.
Speaker 2: Let's shasta hal At Chico State, women could not do their laundry there because guys would go through. I mean unless you were sitting there watching the dryer, like, guys would go in and just take your stuff and drape your your nether things on each other's doorknobs. Wow, I mean literal doorknobs on the door. It's not like you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: The eighties were a wild time at Chico State.
Speaker 2: You know what, I didn't see Chico State in the eighties just saying, dude, June bugs are no joke. I mean, they're dumb, they're dumber than hell, but they'll fly around and they had little hooks on their legs. So if they get caught in women's hair, forget about got up. And that is so evil, evil right in your ear. And I had a friend who had to actually.
Speaker 5: Have their hair.
Speaker 2: They couldn't get it out. June bugs suck.
Speaker 1: You are an older brother, I can.
Speaker 2: Tell a hissing.
Speaker 1: June bug hair. It's my new biggest spirit.
Speaker 2: Another aftershock. We know progress that's different for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why you can find Cedars Sinai locations with the best.
Speaker 2: Okay, So just to clarify, that was me, ye, but it's because I'm the former president's news conference. There's a YouTube channel that's showing the live shot of the microphone tree outside the golf course in Rancho Palace Burn's and it's taken so long for him to come to the microphone that they're starting to play ads on this YouTube channel. Sorry, that was There have been no size reactions outside.
Speaker 1: There have been no destructive earthquakes underneath our biggest cities here in California in the last thirty years. But experts say, Deborah, the earthquake drought cannot last forever. And that's what I've been telling you.
Speaker 3: You have you guys thought I was crazy and that I knew more than Lucy Jones.
Speaker 1: Well now we know that you know comparable amount exactly.
Speaker 2: But I don't care. I mean, we're still having we still have earthquakes.
Speaker 1: You don't care about Deborah Mark.
Speaker 2: Huh. I do deeply care about Deborah Mark. But what I what I would say and have said to Deborah and to you, which is it's good that you're thinking about preparation, even though you're thinking about it while you're in the shower. It's it's good to have that mentality of what would I do in the event that blank happens while I'm blanking? And you know, fill those in however you will.
Speaker 1: I I just do you want to see pictures of the last devastation. This was north Ridge. This is when the freeway collapsed. This is a Loma Prieta earthquake, when the bridge collapsed.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Look at the destruction.
Speaker 2: That's what I understand is what does that have to do with you?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that you nailed it. You just have to be prepared. You have to have that backpack, you have to have the the axe, right, You've got to have your shoes under your bed in case there's broken glass and you can't get to the axe and the fire extinguisher to extinguish the flame that have engulfed your home. Okay, you got to know where the gas line is to shut it off.
Speaker 2: Do you know where the gas line is?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not?
Speaker 2: Do you know how to shut well? Yes, if you don't know where it is, you don't know how to shut it off. I live with a man, Okay, but what if he's at work, which is what men do.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see see where this is headed.
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you can do if you're in I don't know Charlotte for a week and he's at home and there's an earthquake, what do you do?
Speaker 1: There's men there that work at the hotel will know where the gas line is. Women, even I doubt it. Dare I say?
Speaker 2: The my shake app you mentioned got more than twenty thousand downloads in the three hours after yesterday morning's earthquake, which, again I love the idea of it. I love that we've advanced to this point. We've got to stop putting money into the high speed rail line in the state of California and put it into my shake app technology. That is the thing that will save lives, not high speed rail. And when you look at the amount of money, I mean, one percent of high speed rail has gone towards my shake app And you don't want you to.
Speaker 1: Keep saying high speed rail for the people that don't know that, it would never have been high.
Speaker 2: Speed all finger quotes, it's all rail, cartoon, bubble, high speed rail. That's that's how I say it, because it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Would you like your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 2: I didn't realize it.
Speaker 1: I know you're a little out of actice and.
Speaker 2: I haven't had to know anything for the last two weeks.
Speaker 1: Youthful Pop Stars for twelve hundred the twenty twenty one hit Driver's License, which Chris Little really hates hates. He hates the song so much chills him. It does made this seventeen year old the youngest artist to top the Billboard Hot one hundred at the time.
Speaker 2: Who was Olivia Rodrigo bing.
Speaker 1: Bing bing bob bing bom that old you aren't bite go on living in chastah Haul in the eighties, I did not, and then I came in the late nineties.
Speaker 2: Home Depot has agreed to pay nearly two million dollars to settle a lawsuit that accused Home Depot of false advertising and overcharging company company customers. They're going to pay one point nine seven million dollars to settle this civil complaint filed on behalf of consumers by multiple das across California. The lawsuit alleged that the home Depot company charged customers prices that were higher than the lowest advertised or even posted prices. They called this a scanner violations. Internationally, rescuers in Me and Mar say floods and landslides set off by typhoon Yagi killed at least one hundred and ten people in that country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sounds so much fun too, not like a killer. Well, Me and Mar is already dealing with the Civil war. Yagi slammed into the Philippines southern China last week, made landfall in Vietnam last Saturday as what they said was a super typhoon. In fact, it was the strongest typhoon to hit Vietnam in several decades. So former President Trump is holding a news conference outside of his golf course at Rancho Palace Verdes. Of course, addressing the homes falling into.
Speaker 2: The watter, he mentioned it. He said that the mayor's doing a great job and he wants the government to come in and help out. But the thrust of his comments today against the backdrop of this golf course, are to point out Kamala Harris's record as a district attorney while in San Francisco and then Attorney General for the state of California.
Speaker 5: She was anti Frankian, she was anti everything, and all of a sudden she changed. Even the first question she was given at the debate gave one of the dumbest answers. They were asking about pricing and would you be better off today or four years ago. Prices have gone up at numbers that nobody's ever seen before, and just concept of being better off.
Speaker 2: She didn't.
Speaker 5: She didn't give the answer she talked about when she grew up, nobody knew what the hell she was talking about.
Speaker 2: So he's off script right there. But he's been following his own notes for a while, talking about specific cases that he attributes to her time as district attorney. I don't know if he's going to be taking questions, although they did refer to this as a press conference, so again we'll keep an ear on that as it continues down there in RPV. California Governor knew Some signed to bill yesterday that brings back some criminal penalties that target the large scale stealing operations that we've seen smash and grab robberies that have been I guess a frustration for most people, but an absolute career ender for some companies and some small business owners. So this new law will require prosecutors to impose harsher sentences excuse me again, for those who damage or destroyed property.
Speaker 1: Now you were tearing up a little bit there.
Speaker 2: Valued it more at more than fifty thousand dollars while they've committed felony. A similar law actually expired in twenty eighteen, and for some stupid, inane, unbelievable and undescribably ignorant reason, the current law will sunset in twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: I wonder if there's some sort of reason for that. It had to be some sort of a deal that was cut. If in order to get people to vote for this they put an expiration date on it. What in case it doesn't work out, in case people aren't able to steal and get in trouble for it. If it doesn't work out, change the law morons. Yeah, morons, California.
Speaker 2: According to NEWSOM, California already has some of the strictest retail and property crime laws in the nation, and we have made them even stronger with our recent legislation. We can be tough on crime while also being smart on crime.
Speaker 1: Well, you haven't been smart, because there wouldn't be organized smash and grab rings without your tutelage when it comes to no ramifications for wrongdoing. There's a reason why these people have banded together and created monster smash and grab organized crime rings.
Speaker 2: And what I don't understand is of you idiots, I guess. I guess politically, you can't come out and acknowledge that. You can't say, well, you know, we've allowed this to happen by in some cases in one Fell swoop, reducing criminal penalties for crimes. These crimes in which we've seen all now a capture on video, et cetera, have brought attention to this problem of retail theft. In all of this, as I mentioned before, is part of this package of about a dozen bills I think it's thirteen exactly that are trying to crack down on thefts, making it easier to go after repeat shoplifters, auto thieves, increased penalties for those that are running these professional reselling schemes. The ACLU had said they fought against this because they said that it just simply returns to a time of over prison. I can't remember the term that they used, but it was it was saying that all we're doing now is putting people in prison for the bad things that they've done, which crazy me, I thought that was the whole point of passing laws against crime, is so that you could put people in prison for doing those things. Maybe it's just me.
Speaker 1: Can I have some storytime music?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 2: Don't have any story time you do? This? Is it? This is storytime? Wait? What kind of story is it?
Speaker 1: Well, it's this is fine. It's just a nice Residents who live in Irvine at Park West apartments describe the community as calm, mellow, mellow, and Serene Guadalupe has lived there for two years, never had any problems. She says, if anything happens here, the police are on it. They bring out the whole squad. Everyone feels safe.
Speaker 2: My side of the bit was human fecal matter.
Speaker 1: The police automatically deal with whatever it is. Well, recently, Guadala Lope received an email, as did her other neighbors, alerting them about a string of burglaries at Park West apartments.
Speaker 2: He said, Oh, Bob, it's just kids stuff.
Speaker 1: She says, I'm not scared myself because I don't know. I'm just like the trimeat type. Guadaloupe is my people. She is my people. It turns out the Irvine Police Department for months has been investigating a guy by the name of Trung Twan Tran. He lives there and he's been breaking into places like Guadalupes. What is he looking for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, body, body, body, body, body, body, body, bory bory.
Speaker 1: Body, undergarments. He's looking for panties, women's panties as opposed to men's panties. Hello, I'm sorry, but maybe in twenty twenty four men wear panties. I shouldn't say it.
Speaker 2: Like that first basement for the San Francisco Giants Aubrey Huff, he does wear panties. Famously wore a red song right.
Speaker 1: Well, that goes back to Bull Durham and meat. Who would wear Susan Sarandon's underwear?
Speaker 2: Oh god, wow, that.
Speaker 1: Was quite the response. You know, she was a she was a sexy lady in that movie with her full skirts, her full polka dotted skirts.
Speaker 2: Not sure you and I are talking about the same bone.
Speaker 1: She's boning the rookie pitcher and the veteran catcher. She's playing them off of each other. She's doing poetry. And I mean, doesn't get sexier than Susan Sarandon and Bull Durham.
Speaker 2: What time do you leave?
Speaker 1: Am I ruining your sex life?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 2: And it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: I did go back and listen to Bull Durham or watch Bull Durham recently to see if it holds up. And I did see it when I was like eight years old. And at that time, oh yeah, my parents they took me the color purple when I was four. But you know, when you're eight, you don't really know how old people are, and the whole thing. You just know that they're in a relationship and he's wearing her underwear on the mound and all of that, and Crash is pissed and and he's like, when you want a real man, you come see me instead of playing around with the young kid, and the whole bit. And it all resonates when you're eight, But when you're an adult. You look back on that movie, you're like, she is too old for him. That's an odd thing.
Speaker 2: And that's when they got they got together.
Speaker 1: Right, But it was also a time when you know, women didn't look the way they look now they like actually aged, and like a middle aged woman was a middle aged woman. And now you know, you look at like the j Lo's of the world and they look twenty two.
Speaker 2: There's one thing you're missing about all of the underwear things stand by, Yeah, let me hit that button. I'm sorry. So the thing is this nineteen year old fella has grown up in a world where those have been withheld from him, those being underwear ladies' panties. Well, because he's not a lady. That's my point, right, you're you've had them forever, right, so it ain't no thing to you. Let me give you an example. If you're brought up around horses, you I mean, you love the creatures, you respect them. They're big, they're strong, they can be useful for you if you work on the property and you've got a lot of space. They can be show horses. I mean they're part of the family. Like that's it's a horse, it's fascinating, It is fascinating. But if you did not grow up around horses, the only thing you want as a child is a pony.
Speaker 1: You're comparing women's underwear to ponies. Yeah, but you don't as as a person who didn't grow up around horses, you have no business with that pony. You don't know how the pony works, You don't know what the pony is all about. Potentially dangerous to you, right, and should you be collecting more ponies at this point?
Speaker 2: I agree, I'm sudak.
Speaker 1: Into farms and growling ponies and using You don't know what you're doing, sir, mister tran trunk.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think he knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Are they Are they used? Underwear?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You often keep brand new weight? Well, I washed you washed?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: It does okay? Sometimes sometimes all right? I buy packaged underwear. I don't buy them in bulk the way John does in Lake Arrowhead. But I'll buy like three to a package, okay, and it comes like in a wrapper or yeah, sure sure, and then you you sure you use them, but then you wash them right?
Speaker 2: So yes, but yes, they are used, I think is what or that was the question, is are they used? And I would assume. Yes, we've already spent way too much time on I'm thinking everything in.
Speaker 1: My underpan drawer is you because you're the underwear you whipped out in that sales meeting looked used. That pony had been around the corral a couple of times.
Speaker 2: If you want to go on Instagram and compare and click on what you think is the most used.
Speaker 1: Ware. We're posting pictures of our underwear.
Speaker 2: I'm not you are You're weird?
Speaker 1: Well, you didn't know you were going to walk into this conversation today, so maybe you're wearing your heavily used boxers.
Speaker 2: Let me check. Oh these are pretty, oh pretty new. They're just dark blue.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's so weird, don't you dare you?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm leaving. Have a good day. That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP