Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, he's got his Eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Dave Silver. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 3: World Series Game five is tonight at five oh eight pm. The Dodgers are leading three to one, and we'll have Jack Flaherty on pitching and the Yankees will have Garrett Cole.
Speaker 2: I think, well, history will show that they won't go to Game six, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No team down three to zeros ever forts the game six? Wow? Yeah, only four of taking him to Game five? Two?
Speaker 2: Game five right in the way that's turned out when you're down three to three to zero.
Speaker 4: I mean, everybody's holding out hope for the Yankees that maybe maybe Aaron Judge came alive last night finally and they can ride him for a bit because the others were hitting a little bit and then they all kind of exploded last night. Stanton's been hitting, even if Dugo's hit a home run and Austin Wells from u of a hit a home run. So there's gonna be some momentum obviously for the Yankees after last night, and and some hope since Garrett cole is gonna be pitching home crowd.
Speaker 3: kJ Lewis was named to the Julius Irving Award watch List, which is an award that goes to the best small forward in the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's deserving. He's deserving. I mean, it's uh. I think he's the in my view, he's the second best NBA prospect.
Speaker 4: On the team. He's good behind Carter, behind Carter Carter.
Speaker 2: You've seen him and I think you mentioned him very impressive on on Monday. I know the competition's not that great, but he does so much and he's got that baby face baby face and he looks like, you know, he's just a young dude, but he can play.
Speaker 4: He can really play. I was watching the game and I don't know if you guys heard this. Did you hear did you know the story about his his deaf parents or grandparents? Is it? I don't Maybe I'm gonna get it wrong, but there was some relatives and he's totally flew into in sign language and things like that. Oh, okay, and no, I didn't hear that it was. It was interesting.
Speaker 2: It may not be his grandparents. In fact, I've seen his grandparents and spoke to him briefly because they come to visit. It might have been his parents or maybe maybe a different set of grandparents. Yeah, that's so that'd be a good good story for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I think were there were things that I you know again, I think it was Darren Sutton was doing the game on on Monday, and he's he's good. He's good at digging up some of that stuff. So he and Matt were on. I'll have him on, I'll have him one and see. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Arizona soccer lost their first round game of the Big Twelve Tournament today two to one two Baylor.
Speaker 2: So there are there? Are they done? You think probably? I think that a very good season. Yeah, but this is they're done for the year, well, because they did have a very good good year compared to the years past.
Speaker 3: The Panthers will stick with Bryce Young at quarterback, despite Andy Dalton returning to practice after he was in a car crush last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think a guy would go with a guy that's you know, they drafted have some future with maybe a MA shot right.
Speaker 3: The interfering Yankees fans were banned from Game five after interfering with Mookie Bets, and the Yankees announced that they will not be permitted to ten tonight's game and that their behavior was egregious and unacceptable.
Speaker 2: So didn't you say what did you say? Did you say this off the other day? What's that about the tickets? Where the tickets are going?
Speaker 4: The tickets are going to some pediatric cancer patients, So they're giving him those tickets away from I don't know how many were there at maybe three. And then there was some uh pre game comments from Alex Verdugo, of all people from Soorro High School High school here in Tucson. He was one of the guys that they brought out to talk to the media, and he had some pretty good contents about the fans, saying it was pretty much, you know, it's kind of what you expect, not to be bothered by fan interference. He says that it was asked of his thoughts. He says, maybe one of the more extreme ones trying to rip a ball out. At the same time, that's kind of New York. It's what you expect out here. I guess that's the passion that New Yorkers have, so those Unfortunately, those fans will not be part of the scene tonight at Yankee Stadium, but there'll be others they've had, They've had a history of some fan interference in that stadium over the years.
Speaker 3: Arizona women's basketball had an exhibition game yesterday versus cal State LA, and they won eighty two to two fifty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't really paid attention to what's going on over there. I know, you know, Troy has and some other ones. But we'll see what happens. You know, she's got a lot of success now, it's kind of like trying to part of the difficulty in having a team is getting success and then trying to maintain it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they open their season, right, there's just another sax mission game this week. I think they open Oh I'm sorry November fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they opened I think the same day as the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, they're going to do that double matter is it? What happens the game on Monday.
Speaker 5: Ones at four eight? I hate Yeah, that's a way yeah, Canicius game. Yeah, they just clear it out. They'll clear it out and then you know for four hours eight o'clock game.
Speaker 4: Is eight o'clock. Yeah, you look, you probably sleep to sleep through that. I hate.
Speaker 2: Eight o'clock. I mean that's right in the middle of Monday night football. Yeah, three straight Monday night games.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Who did this schedule? Very get used to. It looks like there's a lot of them, That's all I get.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I got an email from somebody, some sub stack.
Speaker 4: There's a website.
Speaker 2: You know, some guys like me, uh broke broke journalists, people who who start their own stuff and get paid on websites. So he did a list of the teams that he expects to see do really well or not well in the in the basketball, men's basketball and women's basketball. So what do you think he what do you think he says about Arizona men's He's only mentioned them once. It's the must win teams of twenty four twenty five. He's got to have us have them in the top fifteen. Does he have a ranking. He doesn't have a ranking, but just talking about he puts Arizona in the final four or bust category along with along with which makes a lot of sense for the along with Kansas Houston.
Speaker 4: Houston. Yeah, no, Houston.
Speaker 2: Kansas just got there, but Houston, because it's unfair to hold anyone to a you must make the final four now expectation in October. But both are frankly pretty simple cases. Houston, for the fifth season in a row, will have one of the best teams in America. They've made just one Final four in that span and have crashed out in the Sweet sixteen in consecutive years. Kelvin won't be around forever. I think you'll really need to get it done this year, especially with Roberts and Cryer graduating. As for Arizona, Arizona is even is even simpler. It's it's year four of Tommy Lloyd and they and three one and two seeds have resulted in a total of four NCAA Tournament wins.
Speaker 4: You gotta get moving. You gotta get moving, that's for sure. Yeah, people here have we always have high expectations, and this is kind of the okay.
Speaker 2: The thought, I'll give you this, always have high expectations, but again, are they realistic expectations?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't see why not. I mean, honestly, well, you you the guys, most of the guys we saw last year are back and yeah, I like to see him after seeing a couple of I don't don't know if I agree with you. David. You've seen you here for the beginning of the beginning.
Speaker 2: You got here in eighty three, eighty four, spent right, you were like, yeah, when Luke got here, was he already.
Speaker 4: Here or you he he had been? He got here in March. I got here in October. Okay, okay, so he had been the same year I was. I literally walked into his season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was outsiding you better get your tickets now. There was nobody going to games before.
Speaker 4: They used to give us free tickets in the media. If you can believe that. Really yep, really, but four tickets sat in the sat in the end zone seats. But I mean that lasted one year, maybe maybe two? Wow, maybe two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Cedric came in and says, now you've got to pay for these tickets.
Speaker 4: We can sell these tickets, right, we can sell them. We're gonna make some money. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So no, no, you you came in here at that time. You've seen the you've seen the rise. I got here in eighty seven, so I saw some of the rise and the great games that I started covering ninety one when it was really catching on in nineties, in the nineties, right, and that's kind of how it started up to me. Also, I don't know, I don't know if you I talk with his jail all the time. Twenty for it's been twenty five years. Now, it's gonna be the twenty fifth year anniversary of getting to the Final four. Hard to believe, twenty fourth, twenty four, it's it's what are you doing when you were twenty four years younger?
Speaker 4: Yeah, honestly, you know, it's been a long time. I mean I was, well, I personally we were there. We had we had we had two crews there covering that game, and we thought that would be, you know, one of many more to come. Sure, there'd been a run from what ninety well, I mean obviously eighty eight, but then ninety four, ninety seven oh one, it was. It was a quick seven years and we were there three times.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what I have asked this question of maybe a player, former player or two, what would you have think that his legacy would have been had he won another one loots?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, I mean, locally he was he's still going to be a legend. I don't know, he's he's below the obviously the coach. K's the world that have won many Calhoun and now you know Danny Danny early early, you know he would have been he would have been up there if you could have won maybe two or three more, a couple more.
Speaker 2: Oh, he would have won the chances. Yeah, this whole this. Then you have Arizona's blue blood. There's they're strong, YadA YadA, but that's not the case. You know, you've been to one final four and twenty three years. You've been to the title in ninety seven. That's been twenty seven years.
Speaker 4: It's going to be interesting too. We talked with football about the turnover and things like that. What what basketball is going to look like here? Say in ten years, are we going to go wow, Oh, there are a lot of changes in twenty twenty four when people are transferring like crazy. You can't keep these rosters together. They're leaving early. The best players don't even stick around more than you know, a year or two.
Speaker 2: And they're making a million dollars in the year, still getting paid.
Speaker 4: It's still making it hit. But you know it's still going to be those great prob you know, those quote unquote great programs winning national titles consistently. Still, that's going to be you know, maybe there will be more UH schools having a chance.
Speaker 2: This is going to be the thing, Dave, Dave, where you live, I live in a night You live in a nice area, right. Who's your neighbor, Jim, Joe, Bob, He's the starting guard for the you know, be That's what it's gonna come to. Yeah, they're gonna be my neighbors.
Speaker 4: They would be your neighbors.
Speaker 2: I mean the party already are a party invested in real estate, have these nice places. What was his record? Well, three and twelve, But let's not go there.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just I trying to look at it from the outside, trying to realize, you know, what's going on in all of college sports is difficult right now because you just don't know what you're gonna get, and these every program, every every program in any sport with all the turnover, is kind of hard to predict.
Speaker 2: So we know we've talked about you. You said this year fourth or fifth time with me. Now, your previous life, you were a news reporter or sports reporter, moved into the foundation and started a foundation, a fundraiser fundraising. So when this nil happened and talk of it three years ago, maybe, ye, what did you think that's going to affect how I do my job? Not how I do it's gonna affect my job, because.
Speaker 4: There was just but to be honest with you, maybe you should be talking to some people who are really really raising money for athletics. That's that's going to be an interesting question to answer because I didn't necessarily personally have to raise money for athletics, although I could if people wanted to give. I mean, I certainly wasn't going to turn them down, but that's their main job. And now all of a sudden, they have this other entity in the picture and people are being asked to support these collectives. So that's a whole new thing. But I think I may have mentioned one of the times on the show that you know, I had some donors who literally just came up to me and said, who are these people that are calling me? I have no idea what's going on. So the general public, at least now they're learning, but I would say maybe a year or two ago, they had no idea what this was next thing. You know, someone's calling I'm asking him for you know, a pretty large check to do what Wait a minute, didn't I just give money to support the program. So there's there's always been some confusion. But again it may be something we can we can talk about with some folks and athletics. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the problem, Dave will be finding anybody who wants to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Maybe some former people. I know, some former Yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll give them on your roll dex dis tabe you're here. We'll try to get old of that. I mean, because it's a sensitive subject.
Speaker 4: Well, it's sensitive and the bottom line is the donors want to give to what they want to give to, and you need to get convinced.
Speaker 2: And it's going if I say, Steve Riverta gives X amount of money and I say I want to go here, and it's got to go there.
Speaker 4: It's got to go there. Yeah, that's part of the deal. I mean, you sign you know, a piece of paper and the UVA signs it as well and says you're going to give you know, one hundred thousand dollars and I want to divide it up between four different areas.
Speaker 2: That's the way that's the way it works. Yeah, so let me ask you another question. I don't know how you can answer it in your life.
Speaker 4: Now. How many of those people are out there? There's quite a few. I mean, honestly, there's there's what three hundred thousand alums around me around the world.
Speaker 2: You know, not all successful, No, not all. It's not so much. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, But it's not so much if they're successful, do they want to do anything?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: And he'd never even been asked that funnel is a small funnel, right, I mean it's a big, giant pyramid and there's a tiny group at the very very top that give most of the money. Yeah, and it kind of works its way down. So the hardest part, at least the job that I had was identifying people just to get them started. Make that first. I mean, if you even look back at some of the biggest gifts the u of A's had, especially in athletics because it got a lot of publicity, oftentimes those first gifts were ten dollars, you know, fifty years ago, and then they look at the record and like, you know, he just did a million dollars, And it all has to start somewhere. So that's that's kind of the key to fundraising anywhere. And you know, there's certainly a lot of people out there around the country, around the world who are Arizona grads who have the potential to give. Do they want to? Right right? No question?
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll take our break. Now, get a hold of the coach room Walden Grove and talk about the big game this week.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 4: Bails. That's bails.
Speaker 1: Enter it right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco YACKI try.
Speaker 7: The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipments?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Healths of course.
Speaker 4: To feel better and look better.
Speaker 9: It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 4: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: School and the False four season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school.
Speaker 4: Corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 8: Shorts are long sleeve follows, and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choo shroom. Come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea center at you twenty eight West Rackman Street at.
Speaker 4: Nova home Loans.
Speaker 10: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, Arizon AA b K nine two nine to four two Equal Housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyndrixyn credit rates and available loan program or subjects to change the don't notice?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 8: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 4: As one of the leading.
Speaker 8: Card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 4: And trading card games.
Speaker 8: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Unions, our one rate auto.
Speaker 12: Loan is for everyone.
Speaker 11: One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score. You can borrow better with hearing me. For details or to apply online. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 13: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol meet thirty five premier speakers, including UA All American Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Kendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, That's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen, bidding I want to take part in the show called up Steve now went five, two oh four, one seventy four four nights.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Lie on the Ball here on Fox Sports Fortune fifty m Steve Rivera and today's Dave Silver. We got Henry at the board and Matt as well. Now we have Walden Grove football coach Corey Noble coach.
Speaker 4: How are you good?
Speaker 12: How are you?
Speaker 2: We're doing well? What's going on over there at Walden Grove? You lose your first two and then you win sixth straight?
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, we're on a pretty good role right now. The boys are playing well. You know, we knew we had two really tough games to you know, start the season off the gate, and uh, you know, fortunately made a made a few too many mistakes to win those two games. You know, I feel like we were we were up in both of them, and we had a lead, had an opportunity to win, and just you know, made some mistakes. But we definitely came back after those first two games and uh, you know, I think got on a good, good track and have been rolling since then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's been the key? Six straight wins? What? What's what's happened really since since those first two.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, I mean we were in a similar situation last year, you know, playing the same schedule, and we actually started the same way we started, you know, with two losses and then rattle box six in a row. So you know, I think we kind of saw that that we you know, the guys who were on the team last year had confidence that we could you know, turn it around and and do some things. But you know, we really just uh you know, like I said, played really tough on those first two. Unfortunately, you know, made a couple of errors and uh that but we we really just cleaned up, you know, started playing a little cleaner football and you know, really just kind of hit our stride. We got a young quarterback who was you know, taking over his first two games and played well, and I think the team really trusted in him after seeing him play in those first two games, and you know, the team really just started to gel and come into their own.
Speaker 4: So who are the first two games against.
Speaker 12: Northwest Christian and then Arcadia?
Speaker 4: Okay, so the Phoenix area's schools.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, to Phoenix schools. You know, they're both I think both ranked in the top six right now and you know we're just outside of that and they're both you know, very good games.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you was that purposely done? Because you know, some coaches want to get to you know, get that test early. If they lose, they lose, they at least they know what they need to do to get to be better. And sometimes, you know, you played better teams and you become better.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was definitely intentional. You know. We in uh, you know, twenty twenty two. You know, we were in the Helo region and we actually went eight and two that year and missed the playoffs because of our power points, our power ranking because we didn't have very many good teams in our region and our non conference wasn't quite tough enough and we you know, as a coaching staff and as a program definitely said we never wanted that to happen again. So, you know, thankfully, you know, we're very happy to be over in the Keno region and you know, which is obviously very tough, but we wanted to make sure that we were ready, you know, and you get ready for big time games and you know, playoffs by playing good teams, and we wanted to make sure that that we did that, you know, and we wanted to see schools outside of just the just the Tuffon area, you know, get some competition against against the schools from other parts of the state and see some of those you know, top end teams there and you know, both Northwest Christian and Arcadia or outstanding teams.
Speaker 4: Just a quick question about the number of kids that are playing. You're you're in a really fast growing area of southern Arizona. I would imagine every maybe every summer you're thinking, wow, we've got a lot more people coming too, Sareta. Is that has that been the case for you and maybe for Sarrita High School too?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, you know, the the area is definitely growing around here, you know, that's for sure. I actually grew up down here, So I saw it when it was very very very little, you know, to kind of where it is now, you know, supporting two you know, four A high schools. You're you know, both of us around one thousand kids, eleven hundred kids. We're actually capped out right now at Walden Grove, Like, our enrollment is at capacity. So we're actually you know, unfortunately, you know, turning some kids away, wow, because we just don't have the seats. You know, we're hoping to We're we're building another building right now to in so that our enrollment can increase, and you know, we look forward to that. But we've definitely got you know, a I mean area here and a lot of growth and a lot of kids in the area. And you know, we definitely have a here at here at Walden we got about one hundred and fifteen hundred and twenty kids in the program, you know, so it's about twenty five percent of our male population in the student play U s male student population in the school plays football, which is awesome. So we're definitely happy with the numbers and you know, hopefully we can continue to grow.
Speaker 4: So how long have you been there?
Speaker 12: I've been the head coach here since twenty seventeen, here at Walden Grove. I've actually been at the school at Walden Grove in one capacity or another since it opened. I started here in twenty eleven as an assistant football coach and a wrest and the head wrestling coach, and then started teaching here in twenty fourteen, and uh, I've been the head football coach since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: So it looks like, just real quick that you've started a program that's feeding itself. That makes any sense that you know, you don't have to, you know, search to worry about kids that wanted to play because you've got a feeder system.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, like I definitely think that that we've got something pretty special here. You know, my first year taken over as the head coach, numbers were a huge concern. You know, we barely straped together, you know, enough kids to play our lower level schedules and do that. And you know, from that that first year, you know, my first day as the head coach, I think we had nineteen kids at practice that day when I took over, right right before the season started in twenty seventeen, and we were you know, recruited our butts off in the hallways here and at school the scheduled pick up and you know, got ourselves enough kids to have a team that first year, and we're pretty competitive, and you know, my stat's done a great job since then, you know, from the freshman level on up. And uh yeah, like we definitely, you know, feel pretty good about our numbers. You know, we've got good connections with the middle schools in our area, the youth program, and you know, like we definitely want want kids to know that it's a you know, good, good place to come play.
Speaker 4: And you've got a big one this week. Speaking of new schools with Micah Mountain, Yeah, I mean, what can you tell us about them? They're also again coming from what Vale areas, so they've also been kind of expanding there. They're high schools in that in that town, so kind of similar in a way, I guess.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, you know, they're a little newer than we are. Yeah, you know, Wall and Grow has been around for for for a while longer, but yeah, I mean they're one of the top programs in all of a sudden in Arizona, and they're one of the top programs in the state and for a football. You know, it's it's going to be a big one, you know, top ten matchup in the state, and uh, you know what, we're definitely excited about it and and very excited for the challenge and the opportunity. Have you played great game with him last year? Yeah, we had a great game with him last year. I think it was fourteen seven or twenty one seven something like that. They they got the better of us last year. And you know, they've been on a tear this year. They're very, very good, and uh yeah, we're excited to go mix it up this Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question, because NuGen has done a fantastic It's Nudgen, right, Nudgen's down there.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he's done.
Speaker 2: He's been he's been a consistent winner, you know, tough coach, good coach. So how did last year's game and everywhere has been Yeah, yeah, yeah, how did last year's Maybe a game that you showed that you could play with him help?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, you know, like again, we're in a very similar position this time last year. I think we're definitely better prepared and you know, healthier going into it this year, and you know, the kids have seen it. You know, like we've been around each other, you know, seeing seeing each other on the field last last year, seeing a lot of the same opponents you know this offseason at seven on seven, and you know, just just all those things like seeing them. It's definitely something. You know, our kids are under no illusions as to how how outstanding of a program they are. But yeah, like what, we're definitely excited for the challenge and to see where we're at for that.
Speaker 4: Who should we be watching on on Friday? Give us a couple of guys that have been highlights for you this year.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Well, you know, I mean, like at any team, on any team, you know it, it generally starts with the you know, quarterback, up front on offense and anything like that. But you know, I guess I'll just start with the guys real quick, the guys who are protecting him. We've got a very experienced group of offensive linemen who have really you know, played a lot together this year. We got a you know, three year starter and a four year starter at center and left guard who have done some amazing things. And Salmi Evis and Rodrigo kick Carizosa that are gonna, you know, be trying to open holes and keep the quarterback clean all night, you know. And it starts with the big guys up front for sure. And then you know, our junior quarterback, Kayler Blaydon has really has really really played well this season. His first year is as our starting quarterback. He has played incredibly well. He's played well within the bounds of you know, kind of our framework and our offense. And then he's played really well off schedule too, and you know, he's definitely made a lot of big plays for us in big games and games that that we've needed him to make big plays, you know. So the quarterback there, and then you know our two running backs, I think are two of the best running backs in the state, two of the best running backs in southern Arizona in Carlos Montoya. He's a senior. He's also our starting mike linebacker. You know, he was he was named to the Fiesta Bowl All State Team. He was one of twenty two players in the whole state for all the divisions named that All State team before the season. He's been a two time All State guy of the last two years at linebacker. And he's also a stud on offense. So you know, Carlos Montoya at running back in linebacker and then Robert Cash at tailback as well. You know, they've really been a great one to two punch for us and a great combo and has done everything, has done a lot for us in a lot of our games. And uh, you know, we're gonna go as they go, and we're it's definitely gonna start with them on offense. And you know, Javon Coleman out at receiver has has been our big play guy. Uh, and you know Kayalan Shoals over the middle at tight end. And then on defense, you know, we got a senior safety. He's really you know, one of the leaders of our defense and one of the guys that you know, really kind of is the glue guy for us on defense. And JD. Chafin, who you know, helps get us lined up, makes a lot of plays, plays down the run, plays the pass. You know, he's kind of a jack of all trades for us. So you know JD. Chasin on defense with you know, i'd say Levi Mohler at linebacker, another senior play in linebackers some d n and Jackson Phillisteam who I think is one of the leaders in the state right now in terms of interceptions.
Speaker 4: Nice. Yeah, so you have a good group. Good luck tomorrow, coach. Yeah, we do. Yeah, I appreciate your time. Where's the game at.
Speaker 12: It's here at Walden Grove. Go on down.
Speaker 4: You know I would expect to be a sellout. Probably.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's gonna be a big game, be a big game. We're we're very excited.
Speaker 4: Great coach, good luck, Thank you.
Speaker 12: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Sure, great.
Speaker 2: Thanks Corey Noble from Walden Grove. Obviously a very good program up and cuming program. It's gonna be tough.
Speaker 4: Micah Mountain because Pat Nugen's been all over Southern Arizona coaching winning team. So now he's at Micah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good builder of programs. Yeah yeah, another dig Tony understudy.
Speaker 4: It's right. You know you were covering the team. He was not only that, but I think when my kids were at Flowing Wells. I can't remember exactly if he was the coach, but I know he spent some time in Flying Wells too. Yeah, cdo.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's not take the breakdown, come back and have a lot of time to get more calls.
Speaker 4: On the other side. If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it.
Speaker 2: Was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot Vera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 4: In your life. We off a complete line.
Speaker 14: Of cardio machines, multi gyms and freewrate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial dad available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve vera he and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousan five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 16: Tucson, listen up. Al Tourny two sent is rolling in on November twenty third. You won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So Are you ready to ride? Grab your bikes and your buddies. Join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the El Tooty two Son. For more info, check out el toour Day two Son dot.
Speaker 1: Org, streamy live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, good enough, tonoon, everybody, Welcome to Eye on the Ball. Here, I'm Steve RIVERI, you're Dave Silver, Henry and Matt. Welcome to the show. I got to get some stuff done because we're at Sino del Soul once a month. Just finish our second show last week eleven. From the moment you first walked into the Casino del Soul, you're greeted by a diverse and robust selection of restaurants that catered to any craving you may have, from the award winning p Westeakhouse to the back diner at Moby's. Discover the taste of Casino del Sold during your next visit. Discover the Soul a lot of cool things you talked about a day when you've been on the show, and visit you know Mobi's or.
Speaker 4: The Walitas.
Speaker 2: I think it is the Asian food there ume a lot of a lot of good stuff. Bellissimo Bellissimo, Yes, that's another one steakhouse. Of course, they have Bingo, cosmic Bingo, the Spa, a lot of a lot of cool stuff. And it's you know, it's about thirty minutes from me, probably about thirty minutes from you.
Speaker 4: It's a good drive, but it's it's worth it. I know. We talked to the golfer golf course out there, which is a gorgeous place. So a lot of people are drawn to that casino. I know they get a lot of conventions and things like that, so they've taken a lot of business.
Speaker 2: So I spurged the kids could tell me if this is a good bet or not. So I was there last week with Jay to do our show and it was a pretty good show. And I said, because I wouldn't be doing this for a while, I wanted to do it for a while. So I bet X amount of money on Baltimore winning.
Speaker 4: The Super Bowl. What were the odds?
Speaker 2: Good question, because because I should have I always kind of I always liked Baltimore. I should have got out of ten ten eleven, got it at five, six, five or six six. I think it was there one of the favorites k Casey and then them. But I like, I like how they played. I think I think so too. Six to one.
Speaker 4: I think it's not that bad if I were don.
Speaker 12: Too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no question, because well they were. They were like eleven to one, are they they? I think they lost the first kind of case.
Speaker 4: I lost it, and then they lost Vegas. They were owing to Yeah, lost the Vegas. Are you sure?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I didn't know that and got no. I don't know, but I should have, Are you right? Because I liked them all a lot because they barely lost on a toe touch from Kansas City, right, Yeah, and they just didn't have a good game last week.
Speaker 4: Now last week, I think it was good karma that they got back. Oh spoke about Watson.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've heard in the way, I just felt like that game if someone.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah, I saw that. I saw that quote. He was pretty vocal after the fans were booing or cheering. I should say, when when Watson got home in Cleveland fans and he's like, that's the most ridiculous thing. You know, He's out there playing his heart out and yeah, that's today's fans. Yeah, you know, but it's kind of fun to see Jamis kind of like, where does he ban for the last five years?
Speaker 2: All of a sudden he's he's still in the NFL. Yeah, yeah, Okay, did we interrupt your No.
Speaker 4: I'm done.
Speaker 2: That's good for today. By the way, I'm not going to be here tomorrow or Friday. Headed to del Mar to play or not to play, well, to play, but to watch the Breeders Cup. Well, everyone knows how a big horse racing pans. I'll be watching the Breeders Cup at the bucket list item for me, You're just going as a fan, going as a fan kind of yeah, yeah, to watch the ponies with. We had Karl Watson on on Monday. He and Paul Whiteman and Pengrim have a horse and the two year old race. Of all, they've had some of the best horses in the world here from time to time, so they're they're staples at del Mar. So I hope to see them there and we'll see what happens. I mean, I've never been in that type of environment for that big of horse race. I've never been to the Derby, which is another bucket list. Yeah, that'd be fun. But this is even bigger. Yeah, this is even bigger. It's a two day, two day experience, right, yeah, all ther it's like a six by twelve probably about twelve six the first day at I'm just being general. The first game first day, and then six the next It could be more than that, but the best horses from all over the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Plus you're in del Mar, which is that's not a bad place to be. No, no, no, no. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last time I was in San Diego for the Arizona San Diego State game. Stayed at the beach there in Mission Beach. Yeah, they broke into my car and shattered my window.
Speaker 4: I remember that. So I came home right after the game and said, I don't need this.
Speaker 2: So we'll see. That's hope lightning doesn't strike twice. Say it out a slay it at a hotel now, so maybe that'll help. Where were you staying before Meason in Airbnb? Oh okay, it's going to be okay, Yeah it was. It was you know you were there. It was hot that day. I don't you remember that day? Very hot, very hot, unconventional for or characteristic for San Diego.
Speaker 4: So I said what the hell I'm going to go. It was the first game for the Stsues BRANDI yeah, yeah, which you know what. I'm sure you've seen it, but I've not been, but you've seen it. I've seen it on TV.
Speaker 2: And it'd be that place would be perfect for tuson Arizona. That size, that size, Yes, it'd be full be it's nice. I'm not sure about the shading and all that that had to be improved, but it's a perfect like forty yeap forty two, I don't know what it was, but it's a nice arena or stadium, perfect for Arizona.
Speaker 4: A handful of years ago I would to Oregon State and their stadium is about that size. They redid it. It's called Research Stadium, and I think it's I don't know, maybe forty maybe thirty eight thousand. Again, perfect size right, well and not a bad seat in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know Corvallis. It's like a hiccup somewhere. Yeah, but they've done nice at least there. I mean they still play in the field house. I killed coliseum. Yeah, No, I can't remember the foot I covered the football team and I was there. I don't remember what even what it looked like. Yeah, it was in basketball. That place is dump I'm sorry to say.
Speaker 4: I mean we went there, I'm going to say five years ago or so and it was really nice. Oh they just finished. Oh, because you're still working on it. I think I think it's since been finished. But they really they cut it down to much smaller size, kind of like what Stanford did where they went from like ninety thousand to fifty thousand in that footprint.
Speaker 2: Right now, I can put it down to twenty five thousand, and it's still empty. It's still empty.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 2: They are too busy studying man solving the world's problems, right kind of. At least Rice doesn't have easy tests there, you know, inventing internet companies. Yes, yes, and we're paying for them, yep, okay, yeah, anything else? We got the football game, basketball game coming up? Looking forward to that Monday night. Uh, you got to be fun.
Speaker 4: Canisius you know, I lived in buffal That's where they're from, Buffalo. If anybody wonders who what Canisius is. It was interesting in Buffalo, believe it or not. When I was like eight, I had three I don't know why I remember these goofy things but there were like three colleges that I remember as a kid. At Niagara, which is where Calvin Murphy went. If anyone remembers, he had a great guard for the Houston Rockets and button swirler was his thing. Yeah. Remember Bob Lanier went to Saint Bonaventure, which is also in that area. Bullets, Diston's mostly other Bucks and then Canisius. So there were like these three schools. I don't know why I'm thinking about this, but when I hear where I heard Arizona's playing. Oh yeah, so you're a Buffalo fan. Nah, Buffalo, I mean it's only kind of in my heart more than anything. I mean I lived there briefly. But yeah, those were pretty good years. I think all those I mean there's obviously two great players just at that moment, right, and then what's his name from ESPN goes to Saint Bonaventure, the Woes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, the guy Woes took that job at Saint Bonnie right right. He was making a ton of money too. Yeah, he's like a GM. He's like the GM of their ni l Yeah. Yeah, you can show that what a good job job that must be. Yeah, if you could get people to like go there right, right, you know it's gonna be tough. It's tough because you know, that's kind of like a feeder place too. You do really really well there where else you're going to go, right, It's like it's like, uh TJ McConnell. Right, he's at Ducaine, a very good player. Sean sees him and I don't know how they got him here, but he came here and turned into this great player. Yeah, he was already a pretty good player his career. He's having Yeah, ten years, will be the wed and go hon her. Wow, making a ton of money. Yeah, I mean who who would have thought?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Not me, not me. But again, what's one of those situations. You're in the right place at the right time. They needed someone like him. But he was at Philadelphia first, and then he goes to the placers.
Speaker 2: Steve Kirk type ker type, good guy with the media, people like fan.
Speaker 4: I'm sure the fans love him there.
Speaker 2: Sure it's one of them. Yeah, work hard, work hard, blah blah blah. Anybody want to call police? Do we have a lot of time here and we got about evunits. If you want to call, maybe we'd get some calls here because some people were trying to get in earlier five two, four, one, six, seventy four forty Dave, thanks for coming in again. I know you have better things to do, like maybe cutch your weeds or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is this is a highlight for me to come do this. This is a blast.
Speaker 2: Hey, I already did that today, so I don't get that taking care of that's.
Speaker 4: A case I don't want any part of retirement. No, it's fun. It's fun because you get to do things that you want to do. I've that's kind of been my mantra. It's like, now I get to do things I really want to do, not I have to do. So this is nice. Yeah, I just stayed.
Speaker 2: Bader's coming and bring me uber eats.
Speaker 4: That's tonight. That's later when I go home to watch baseball or whatever else is on the deb What does politics?
Speaker 2: By the way, you can from all those calls you get and all the damn spam things, you know, it's not over yet.
Speaker 4: It's funny. I have gotten some today, but I think it it tapered off a bit, honestly to me, at least, maybe because I already voted.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say any want to go there. But I don't know because I voted too, and I'm still getting them, still getting pretty soon, pretty soon, got six days.
Speaker 4: And even then it's not going to be resolved. I know it's going to be a long time. Yes, it's not going to be resolved. And even then, I'm just looking forward to not having political commercials on every moment of the day on TV as you're watching these games. I mean, we're watching a lot of stuff and it's just NonStop. And I know the TV stations are making a fortune of this too. This is their biggest time every four years. I got someboddies still who are you know who are former general managers And we were talking about that recently, like weach is love no vela.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you, because I'm not in the TV business, that is the new newspaper business. Uh does that revenue go to direct it to the TV's the locals or to the corporate and they feed you guys.
Speaker 4: I was never in that part of the world either. I'm going to say probably stayed local, I would think, I mean they're all owned by big corporations. Anyway, I don't know. I mean, that's a good question. I don't know if it's you know, everybody, because you know, for example, you know, k Guns owned by Scripts, which is a gigantic not only you know TV, but also a newspaper company. So I don't know how that would work if it all just goes to the Script corporation.
Speaker 2: And the reason I ask is if the locals can eat you know, you know what I'm saying, they're doing all that spending, the locals can sustain a group of reporters, right and not lose the you know, because Channel Ford just went through a big deal with with Allen, right Alan, what's the name of the comedian Allen Byron Allen, Byron Allen, that group, they lost the people, and so I'm wondering if they pay Allen big big corporate and then they're the ones that make the determination.
Speaker 4: I heard they just had more layoffs, even like where recently Channel four, Yeah, like in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Really I did not know that. I watched that show every now and again or the programming. I haven't seen any less people.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean, it could be people behind the scenes too, but that's you know, there's that's one thing about television news it's it's like a football team. There's a million people behind the scenes that are that helped to make you look good hopefully right, do the do the graphics and do the cameras.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, Let me ask you this and anybody can call on please ask us some questions. Uh, if I had a chance, would I do this? Would I do this again? Would I be a newspaper?
Speaker 4: Guys that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, you know, you know, all the depends what you know. Whatever happened to me. It was twenty three years of having fun and writing for twenty three years. Would you refocus and I have two journalism you guys out?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Yeah, sorry. I had a great time. I mean I the good thing about it was I was very young, and I was lucky, and I got a chance to be on TV when I was twenty two, you know, so I could go work for a couple of years and just you know, totally mess up and work on it and try to get better at it and learn how to do the job, and then gradually got to you know, got here and was able to sustain the career here. I used to sometimes think about, how did that happen? How did I last all these years and he wanted to leave. Well, there were times, but you know, it was just a matter of where it was going to be, what, what the opportunity would have been, how my family would have felt about it, And that's kind of the nature of every profession. Yeah, it was that time when Luke called you, I needed to get out of here, to get me in trouble.
Speaker 2: But well, you know, if you could, if you could have we done this baby with the other guy with Ryan.
Speaker 4: Did you already give these guys advice? What would you do if you were.
Speaker 2: Why are they looking at me now because they needed they're getting the setting.
Speaker 4: They're getting close. Yeah, they're getting close.
Speaker 2: What I what I would advise, And I tell this to Henry all the time. I don't know if I've told this to that yet. Get your resumes out now now because you'll be done in May. Well you're gonna stay. You can stay extra right, Matt, you're going to to.
Speaker 4: One thing I would tell people that I used to tell all my interns this, even before they learn much about the nuts and bolts about the business, is just be aware of what's going on. Be a news junkie, a sports junkie, don't walk yet. It used to kill me when they would walk in they go, hey, what's going on today? I go, don't you know? You know we're playing you know, canesius and basketball or whatever. We've got to you know, there's a there's a game where you know, that's kind of what our focus is going to be. Just be on the ball, because I think when you sit down and you're going to be interviewed by somebody like like I would, I would want them to kind of know what's happening in the world and not be oblivious. And you know, we can teach you some of the skills and you'll get that. You'll get better at that as you move along in the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that I'm teaching them doing some of that stuff. That's the one thing with the with the with the students. They don't read enough and they don't see styles of writing. They don't see formats and how you're supposed to write about it and stuff because there, you know, I get they're busy with school, but this is what you.
Speaker 4: Want to do.
Speaker 2: You should learn learn from other people. But you know, yeah, I mean, what are you still writing for all sports?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, how's that gone? I enjoy it. Yeah, okay, yeah, things. I think, as much practice as you can get now, especially for you know, for these guys that are just you know, still kind of getting ready to break into the business, take advantage of it. I again, I had a lot of interns, and most of them if they wanted to get a job, they got a job because they had a chance, at least for a year or so to do do the the work and learn how how it goes. And you know what a TV station looks like, and how a camera works, and how to write a script and how to want to teleprompter do all the stuff behind the scenes. Sure sure not.
Speaker 2: And these guys now, you know, Matt and I are in the same boat with the with the machine here because we haven't had as much practice, has a little. Henry's got it mastered, thank god, and he's gonna be with me for a while. So you need to get that stuff out, Henry. You know that you can't be living in Manhattan and your your mom's and dad's place all this life. Although when you're there leting you go visit? Can we come visit? Go to a Yankees game? How would you pay for the hotel? Dom State of Henry's. So, yeah, go to Madison Square Guarden.
Speaker 4: Do you like that place? The garden? I love it? Why history? Why wouldn't it an atmosphere? History? What about the spell? Maybe I'm used to it. I bed there a number of times. It's just like, oh yeah, yeah, are they going to get a new one? That place has been there.
Speaker 2: No, they've you know, funny thing about it when I did my books with the Uba and places they did, that's like the fifth version, right, yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you mean the latest version. The place has been there since like nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, maybe because there's been a bunch of versions the right, you know, on they build it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the first one was like eighteen seventy or yeah. I wasn't sure you were aware that it's like the fifth version of No. In fact, we even did a tour this summer when we went to New York. We went on the Madison Square Garden Tour, which was they were and they showed pictures of the historic and like there's a wall that had all the different versions of that spot.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: I would have never guessed, but yeah, it's it's it's an old but it's a it's rebuilt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you look at the boxing matches quick Joe Lewis and those.
Speaker 2: Kinds of waving us off. Thanks everybody, Thank you, Henry, thanks everybody else. Taught to you guys on Monday,