Speaker 1: With your approved credit zero down yet zero percent APR financing for up to thirty six months now through September thirtieth, twenty twenty five c US or go to Cabota USA dot com for more information. That's Roman's Outdoor Power your Combota Dealer Highway seventy five in Barsville, Independence or online Okcommoda dot com.
Speaker 2: Good morning and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program right here on K one AM fourteen hundred, FM ninety three point three and FMT ninety five point one.
Speaker 3: The Green Country Gardener Program with our.
Speaker 2: Expert learning class is brought to you by Green Delom Nursery and Greenhouses United Relands. How They Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips at Gateway First Pack and good morning, Good morning, morning, welcome, welcome, welcome in. It's time now for the Green Country Gardener Show. Larry Glass is our expert. Time Tom, I justn't answered the phones. And speaking of phones, it is one eight hundred seven poor nine five nine three six that'll get you on the air well A little bit warm out there in the garden and in the lawn, Larry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well what expect it's August already.
Speaker 3: No, this is middle middle of July.
Speaker 4: You're like, god, we got two months of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe three. The record high for July. He brought in this big chart folks, and.
Speaker 5: I got one hundred and fifteen degrees was the record high. I didn't say when. And the mean temperature it's really mean one point nine wow, typical. The daily maximum mean is ninety two point seven and the daily means eighty point six.
Speaker 4: Whatever that means.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of meaning going on there.
Speaker 5: Actually, the record minimum is record low was forty eight degrees at the.
Speaker 4: One point in time.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think somebody let the fridge open that day.
Speaker 5: Must yeah, that's probably in you know, seventeen eighty or something. And typically in July we get three point six five inches of rain, which I think we got.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm pretty already over with.
Speaker 4: So then I was looking at the forecast and hot, hot, steamy.
Speaker 5: Well, actually some people have come in and here's my my ring gauge over here showing two and quarter inches after this week, So we're right about on que Actually, just it all comes at once, it does, and the long range of forecast for.
Speaker 4: The next week is calling for nothing. Nothing, yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: So we're starting the landscape crew starting at six am. We're knocking off at around one or two o'clock. It seems kind of strange you go home so early, but golly when you come out there with crack it.
Speaker 3: On, well, I know, I know those hours.
Speaker 2: Well, I still someone sharing the road with me besides the guy in the bread truck and the officer.
Speaker 5: So anyway, it's just how you deal with the weather. You try to work around a little bit and keep yourself hydrated before you mow your grass, get buns of water in. You don't wait till after the fact, but you want to be prepared and go ahead and drink a lot of water before you mow your grass. And if you have to take a break halfway through, so what at least you at least you won't get too hot and and and expire what's the word right out? What's the word desiccated?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you won't get to to dried up, rated, yeah yeah, hydrated yeah yeah, anyway.
Speaker 3: Between the doors will get it.
Speaker 5: So before you go out and do some work in the yard, even though it's not very hot yet, still want to you go ahead and get hydrated, and it's just plaine of water works.
Speaker 4: Fine, So that's kind of how we That's how I deal with it too.
Speaker 5: Carry this big old water jug around with me where and try to empty it out, you know, during the course of the day, just uh, and just so you don't get overrun by the heat. Your body has a way of keeping itself cool with selecting and all that, but if you don't let it do it, you'll get overheated.
Speaker 4: Then you got problems.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we've got to call it. We do. Hey, good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener.
Speaker 2: Your you're called your comment, Good morning morning.
Speaker 7: Have a question that Hardy had discus.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so once they boom, is that helpful.
Speaker 7: To uh, pull off, cut off whatever the little what you call it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to cut those off.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In fact, it might even make it bloom some more. If you cut those off, it'll probably send out a sideshoot and continue blooming. They have a fairly long bloom period during the during the summer. And I have some of my house and I keep them cut back after they're done, and sometimes I'll put on some flowers.
Speaker 9: Okay, that's all I need to know.
Speaker 4: Thank you, all right, thanks for calling.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you very much for your composting.
Speaker 2: And it's really easy. All you have to do is dial one eight hundred seven nine five dying three six and that will get you one with Larry.
Speaker 5: Hibiscus mushadoes well are actually it is a native American species typical and there's native to swampy areas. Actually. Okay, so anyway, somebody said, oh that's a cool plant. Let's hybridize it. Now, we got flowers the size the folkswagens.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 5: They do make a real nice large flower and they are really extraordinarily hardy. However it can be, and I think we're talking about them this week, but anyway, they are. They do come up late in the year, and when they come up, it's in three days or like twelve feet tall.
Speaker 4: Wow, No, they're not that tall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 5: Once it gets warm enough, they really grow quickly. So okay, at the nursery, we still have lots of color. We got stuff on sale to so come on check it out and.
Speaker 4: See you. Here we go.
Speaker 5: Rosa Sharon's a thirty percent off African bottle it's a thirty percent off Japanese maples, thirty percent off, Clematis, thirty percent off. I date just thirty percent off prinso dollar off, etcetera, etcetera, et cetera. So anyway, it's coming to the end of our fiscal year, so we need to sell some stuff.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 5: You go anyway, come on out and take advantage of the sale prices. You know, it's not too late to plant. You just have to be a little bit more diligent with it. You need to be more observant with it. And I don't plant too deeply, and definitely do not over water. There can cause some problems. I've met with the customer yesterday and her hinge and chicks were rotten away. WHOA, Well, we've had a superfluous amount of brains, yes we have. And hens and chicks simply are not they're not ducks to pervive them. They're they're yeah, really, they're just not suited for extended periods of wet weather. So hens and chicks and seasons like that or something. You just simply don't have the water that much because they store a lot of water, okay, and they're just not suited to wet areas like that. So in the Vesta regard this week, tomatoes is showing some wet and heat related problems. You might have some yellow leaves on the bottom as they go up, and a lot of times that can be alleviated with some bulch. It's a big fan of that. For the tomatoes are well, tom it's a it's a fundus issue. It bounces off the soil. When we have brain and it gets on there, it CAUs there's a fun problem. So adding some molts to tomatoes just fine. I go to people's houses where they have tomatoes with molts and beautiful green leaves all the way from the bottom of the one up solid huh yeah. And these giant tomatoes you know, the.
Speaker 3: Size of basketballs.
Speaker 4: Huh well that or cageball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big tomatoes, record ball size, majors.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: I didn't grow any tomatoes this year. My garden is fallow.
Speaker 4: Okay, but next year I'll grow something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just a little too busy. Dodge and thunderbolts and brain drops.
Speaker 4: This great. They've got a broken toe and a broken finger. That's still.
Speaker 2: You've been the pillar and pill for a long time. This year you break two bones, I know, and you never miss a day or work.
Speaker 5: I wasunderneath our tractor yesterday working on maintenance, bagor maintenance.
Speaker 4: That's fun.
Speaker 5: Shade anyway, head to doe because the only time we had to work on stuff like that is when it rains.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and just.
Speaker 5: Headed dope covered in mud and great and oil. I was just in my element, just loved it.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you smiling your ears.
Speaker 5: God anyway, we just had to do a maintenance on oil change. So wow, that's the kind of stuff we do when we can't dig a hole in the ground, do that kind of stuff too. So anyway, bermuda grass and oyster grass are growing rapidly now. The crabgrass is mature m so it's kind of too late to control crab grass. Yeah, a lot that's at that stage right now where a post emergent crabgrass control simply doesn't work.
Speaker 2: No, you spray round up on it and you're gonna get yellow spots all over the.
Speaker 4: Stay around and go buy some sod. I guess yeah, is this what we.
Speaker 3: Call claw hammery time? Were you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Actually I did that yesterday when he came home. There's there's two kinds of craggrass. One of them has it's very I don't know what they call it because I'm not a professional when it comes to craggrass, but it has its real long stem and forms just open like an open hand on the ground and those just just pull them up, throw them under the lawn bower and drying them up, spread the seeds everywhere.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it get somebody else's yard.
Speaker 5: So yeah, the craggrass at least it's it's alive and growing. I think it's feeling a little too hot for some of it, kind of turning a little brown around the edges.
Speaker 3: A little bit. So wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So also it's a time to maybe do another fertilization on your bimeter as your grass, But don't do it unless you have moisture in the ground what you do right now, or have a means by which it can be watered through right away too.
Speaker 3: Diffusion is what it takes.
Speaker 5: Maybe, Yeah, if you put it, if you put fertilizer down on drug ground, it can cause some problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 5: Shallow ritz is one of them, and it makes the grass intolerant of dry conditions because hey, this.
Speaker 3: Is I don't have to work.
Speaker 4: Fertilizer right there.
Speaker 5: I don't have to go down deep to get it and then it then it droughtstress is real bad. So you can still fertilize but lightly right now on the lawn, just just to kind of keep it going a little bit and be prepared to irrigate when that happens when you do put it down too. Okay, So grass is growing erma grasses in its element right now. It tolerates the heat quite well. So good fescue grass, though, keep it tall. Don't don't cut your fescue grass very short and sowers your grass kind of the same thing. Don't cut it too short right now, all the grasses need to be fairly high. And what that does it increases the surface area of the of the grass, so it has a better chance to keep yourself cool. It also helps shade the ground a little bit. Keep that just a little bit cooler too.
Speaker 3: Now. I've been mowing it kind of high, even when it was kind of wet. Yeah, and I had mook quite often.
Speaker 2: Too, but oh, it just seems like you get you get a tent of an inch exploded, and it's like.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Okay, here I go. I'm getting in shape.
Speaker 4: That we had to buy a corner a lot.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: That's what I got, So I delegate designate areas. I don't know the whole thing at once, especially when it's hot, So I do some bit on one day, So about about a three day cycle. That's about motographs because you know, work all day out of the heat. The less you want to do is well, yeah, you got to keep.
Speaker 11: It neat you do.
Speaker 4: The neighbors might code yeah, rock fet your house.
Speaker 2: It's over there. Yeah, well shoot, they get off work. You know, it's the west. We do the west side first where it's kind of cool, and then kind of gradually do the front and then I'll wait till Sunday.
Speaker 3: Too in the back. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I do do a little bit at a time when it's really hot. You know, when you get to be my age, just kind of have to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I take a lot of breaks. See you got a writer, don't you know? You know you got to push her. Yeah, that's why I got.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got this variable speed and always run as the fastest speed.
Speaker 4: Keep those blades sharp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got, I just got one speed.
Speaker 4: It's a good workout too.
Speaker 3: Actually it is a good workout. I have one speed.
Speaker 2: It's called Mosy Mosy and is a mowen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my mower is thirty years old. It needs a new transmission. So okay, when Craig myrtles, uh there right now they are and they're doing quite well. I know I haven't won in front of my house.
Speaker 3: That's right. Happened after it?
Speaker 5: Right, It kind of went a little floppy on me. But it seems to be pulling himself back up. And I see that a lot of in the great myrtles because I had a lot of weight and the rain kind of made them bend down a little bit. You could lighten them up a little bit, but not much. And look at look at the blooms and if they're if they're expired. In other words, the plumes come up on the tips, the blooms come up on the tips of the branch, and when they start to die out that you still have time to cut them back and they will regenerate.
Speaker 4: Some blooms. At this point in time, the day length.
Speaker 5: Is such that that's typically what affects them and what stimuls in the bloom is the length of day. And while we're still at this people although we're going down a little bit on.
Speaker 3: The peak, we're still in the arch.
Speaker 5: There's still time for them to put on somewhere bloom. So if the blooms are starting to kind of to deteriorate, and you can cut those old blooms off and chances are it will send out a side shooting and bloom even more.
Speaker 3: Oh there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look at the color of your crepe myrtle.
Speaker 5: If you've got a red one and it's not really super red, you might have a phosphorus deficiency. And I wouldn't recommend fertilizing it too much at this point, but just as a good practice, give it some ten twenty ten something like that early in the spring and that'll help it. But enhance enhance phosphor's content will help the bloom color in the bloom volume too, got it, So give them some of that earlier in the spring. I think we discussed it and show us past to what to do with the crepe myrtles. But right now, don't water them too much. At this point. You can get mildew and mold on them, stuff real bad. So give they like it a little bit on the dry side. They really don't like wet feet, so they should do. Okay, watch out for a scale insect on them too. It's a traite myrtle. Scale is a pretty bad problem with them. And look at the stand and look for a little tiny, little white specs on them, and those are typically our scale insects. You can kind of rub them off a little bit, but there are some controls for that you can get you too.
Speaker 3: Sopie waterworks.
Speaker 4: Sophie water works pretty well. Captain Jack's dead bug works pretty good.
Speaker 3: All right, Captain Jack's dead bug, it works pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also one cure and is a metoploprid too. It's a systemic and it works from within. Okay, So you mix it up and pour it on the ground and the tree.
Speaker 4: Draws it up.
Speaker 3: Dope, put it on the tree.
Speaker 5: It's a systemic nicotinoid, gotcha, and it affects the nervous system of the insect.
Speaker 2: All right, We're going to take a quick break, folks. We are going to be back after this two minute, thirty second time out.
Speaker 10: The employees are United Rentals or local folk work go to church and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power, which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment. You need to get your job done right, and with twenty four hour servants, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 12: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in heartcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings, Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heart care that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org slash st John Hart.
Speaker 10: Jane Phillips in Bartlesville.
Speaker 13: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 11: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 13: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 11: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 14: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 11: Well, you better call Kelly's Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 13: What's that number?
Speaker 15: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 14: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 15: That's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 8: Did you know Green Tam Nursery in Greenhouse? This is home to barnos Bill's largest selection of quality plants. Shut their new sales Ribera Daisies fifty percent off, Rose of Sharon, African Violence, Japanese maples, Clemenus high ranges all thirty percent off. Perennials get a dollar off personally in hanging basket regularly twenty four ninety nine now nineteen ninety nine, and roses at fifty percent off. Thigs, blueberries, blackberries all forty percent off, but only at green thumbd. There's Green Greenhouses on the Water Road, open Monday through Saturday, nine to five out of four on Sunday.
Speaker 16: Are you scheduled for a CT scan or MRI? Does it cause you concern or even fear? Know what to expect and how to prepare by visiting radiologyinfo dot org today. That's radiologyinfo dot org.
Speaker 2: All right, it's eight twenty seven. We went a little along with that's okay, it is seventy seven degrees and this is the Green Country Gardener Program.
Speaker 3: I'm Tom, He's Larry. Larry Glasses are expert.
Speaker 2: And our phone line is open at one eight hundred seven four nine five nine three six.
Speaker 3: And I gotta tell you you're the busiest man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doorbell ring, I thought it was on start tracking the door was nobody, okay.
Speaker 4: Irrigation systems, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So talk about irrigation system down to rain for another six months.
Speaker 5: You really want to allow a at least a slight drying period between irrigation systems.
Speaker 2: Is that in order to keep the plants always thirsting a little bit?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that, and it helps it stimulates a deeper root system. So when you do irrigate, set out of something and say how long it takes you to do an inch of water, and that's how much time you need to go on a week?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all. Yeah, So you gotta do a little math, a.
Speaker 5: Little bit of mathea and you can save you some water too. Actually, and you do want the ground to dry out on the surface significantly before I go to a lot of people's yards and they run their sprint cards that on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, eight o'clock in the morning. And then when you dig a hole in the ground, the grass is only you know, two inches deep because yeah, because it there's no incentive to go down and dig in, and.
Speaker 4: So you need to irrigate.
Speaker 5: You know, the sprinkler heads have specifications and how much water you put out basically on the nozzle, tam there in the spacing, et.
Speaker 4: Cetera, et cetera, and uh, typically thirty minute.
Speaker 5: It takes about thirty minutes to do an inch of rain or so, and a rainbird five thousand and three point zero. So you want to keep that in mind for a total length of time. Look, you need to research and look at the precipitation rate. How much water do you put down on a given time And it's easy to do. Just take the wife's at night with thirteen pin and turn it on and combat to you with a rolling pin.
Speaker 4: With my cookwaard's off there.
Speaker 5: It's just my cookware my case anyway, and that'll tell you how much how long to irrigate an a given period of time. Typically on this thing totals we have a year of precipitation of what is it average inches forty point five inches of rain given here, Yeah, and that's about an inch a week, so.
Speaker 4: Maybe a little less. But so.
Speaker 5: The thing is, though you do want the surface of the grass and your plants, do you want the surface of the soil to dry out a little.
Speaker 4: Bit between water?
Speaker 5: These plants just simply aren't suited for living in a constantly wet environment. You know, if you're growing cattails and.
Speaker 4: Lily pads, that's another story.
Speaker 5: But bermuda grass and stuff like that. No, it doesn't need so much water. So Monday, Wednesday, Friday, it's fine, but know how much rain or water you're putting down in that time period. And another factor considered is the slope. If you have a fairly steep slope on there, you do want to water, say Monday or Tuesday or Thursday or whatever, twice.
Speaker 4: A week or so.
Speaker 5: But most of the timers have multiple start times on them, so you can observe how it's irrigating and observe when it starts running down the curb, and that'll be the maximum time per cycle on it. So you can let it run at three am and six am and maybe and then nine am or something like that, and so it'll soak.
Speaker 4: Into the ground rather than run off.
Speaker 5: So you have to consider it your percolation rate in your soil also, and we have a bit of a clay and a sOliver here also. Yeah, so and it does retain water quite well. And that's one reason why we need a little bit of a dry period between irrigations, just so we don't have a problem with shallow rists and stam rot on your grass and stuff.
Speaker 4: A little bit of a science to it, but there is.
Speaker 3: That's why you went. You went to the College of Knowledge.
Speaker 5: So if you do have a slope and you do have a sprinker system, consider doing UH and do several startups on that particular circuit. A lot of them have A B, C and D circuits on their channels on them start times if you will. And you can designate that one circuit that's on a hill to go.
Speaker 4: UH A and B and the C D. But you can delete the other one from the PC and D just want of that one.
Speaker 3: So get it organized. We have our ways get it organized.
Speaker 5: Also that some of the newer timers are their internet connected. We put one in for a customer and let's say a lot of do we need to put a range and s Ring says, none of those things working just great without it. It gets data from National Weather Service and how much rain we have, and it adjusts the irrigation accordingly, accordingly, exactly.
Speaker 2: So like some people I know, well, I tell you what they got, the fountains flaring in the middle of a storm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and also on on the on these web based the timers, you can designate.
Speaker 4: What type of soil you have and what so on.
Speaker 5: You can vary the amount of water it gets in based on what you have in it. We did a a system recently where he has two different types of grass and we put the soyser grass in one area, in permutograss in the other. And they have slightly different requirements as far as watering is concerned, so those areas can be designated separately, so you put less water on the permuta grass and more and more water perths on the Soisier grass.
Speaker 3: Makes sense because the soiser is close to the house.
Speaker 5: It's real nice and velvety and it's a pretty grass, and the permuta grasserras, it just covers things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sut there to make sure you don't see anything exactly.
Speaker 5: A lot of times when we do a landscape. On several occasions we've done that, we're close to the house. We make it look really, really nice for this beautiful, beautiful green velvet carpet of.
Speaker 4: Vois on the other side of the driveway or somewhere up for me.
Speaker 5: Breath, save money, it saves some mighty Yeah, exactly, take a break.
Speaker 3: We'll be back after this two minut The.
Speaker 17: Strength of America, our values, our way of life hasn't just been one on the battlefield. It's one every day in our communities when we come together extending hands of compassion, service, and hope to.
Speaker 3: Those who need it most.
Speaker 17: For over one hundred years, the American Legion has been strengthening communities across our nation by providing life saving help and support to our veterans and neighbors during times like we're facing today. It's what the Legion's all about. From blood drives, distributing food, from responding to emergencies and protecting the most vulnerable among us, our mission is making America's community stronger.
Speaker 4: We are one family, and therefore we care.
Speaker 17: We are the American Legion, Veterans strengthening America to learn how you can help, visit Legion dot org.
Speaker 6: You know what they say, right, no pain, no gain. But what if it hurts just to walk? It's probably just you getting older, right, Well, it could be peripheral arterial disease, a serious condition often called clogged arteries in the legs.
Speaker 4: PAD.
Speaker 6: Symptoms can include cramping in your legs when you walk, but some people don't feel any symptoms at all, and PAD severely limits blood flow, making it one of the leading causes of foot and leg amputations. It also makes you up to six times more likely to die for heart disease or stroke. PAD is no walk in the park if you're over fifty, especially if you smoke or have diabetes. Talk to your doctor about getting tested for PAD. For more information and a free heart and soul kit called one eight sixty six pa D info, or visit PAD Coalition dot org. A message from the Peripheral Arterial Disease Coalition, And.
Speaker 2: He is, and I is, and I is, and is and it is and I mean yeah, oh yeah. It is the Green Country Gartner Program. And it is e thirty six seventy degrees. Our phone line is open at one eight hundred seven, four, nine, five, nine.
Speaker 3: Three six. Here he is the busiest man in the yard.
Speaker 5: Flurry glass, Oh crit meurtles, cut back your split the spit plumes when you're krit myrtles, yep, I need do that.
Speaker 4: Our tree the week is a Japanese people.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: They're atctually several types sizes of Japanese maple there are.
Speaker 5: It's not that old big purple thing that people plant two feet away from the house. There are some smaller ones too, they are they Yeah, yeah, we have some of the nursery too. Oh yeahs again. Think it's aboutnee high.
Speaker 3: That's a small tree.
Speaker 4: It's a small tree. Yeah, what's that medium size hip high around around here?
Speaker 5: And then the Japanese that the blood good say, Japanese mample gets up to twenty feet.
Speaker 4: So I have one in my backyard that's about to be tall. All right, nice, blood good. Nice It was moved like five times.
Speaker 3: Do they leave much leaves in the fall?
Speaker 4: Do they leave much leads in the fall? Well, yeah, they don't have any leaves.
Speaker 3: I didn't think fall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they can have some actually, some good fall color in them too. One thing you want to watch out from the crap murles at this point.
Speaker 4: In any time, or a border. I've seen that so many times.
Speaker 5: So the boars go in and part of the tree dies out, and said, what's wrong with my tree? Then you look at it as the bar's all falling off the tree from boars girdling it.
Speaker 3: Now we have ways to stop that or supervented all together, do we not?
Speaker 4: Yes. If you do have a situation where your Japanese mable.
Speaker 5: Has some bars on it, you might want to consider using some medicloporate on it, which is a systemic. You used to use a di system but they took it off the market. But the mediclop bridge is very effective in controlling them and also keep them watered real well. Not you know, they're not swamp plants spelled me, but let them get a little bit on the dry side and make.
Speaker 4: Sure they have adequate water.
Speaker 5: Sure because the bar insecttendo attack more plants that are under stress typically than ones that are super healthy. So uh and look very closely at it looked and especially on the southwest side, looked very close. Or a bark that's peeling or something, and if you see it or on the trunk typically is round. When you cut it, cut out of sections around, but it'll have a flat spot on it, say on the southwest side or on a sunny side where we're situated, and that's the indication that there's some border damage in there.
Speaker 4: They will recover from border damage.
Speaker 5: The tree will encapsulate it and just do its way, going on its way with growing.
Speaker 4: But they can get overwhelmed.
Speaker 3: They can.
Speaker 4: So look at him real closely this time of year, look at him real.
Speaker 5: Closely, because the problem is pretty bad right at this point in time. So take a good close look at your Japanese maple and look for.
Speaker 4: Holes in it.
Speaker 5: Look for weeping, especially on the southwest side of it. Look for flat spots on the bark, on the on the trunk where it's it's not circular, and that's a sure signage.
Speaker 4: Have boards. So very simple application.
Speaker 5: You mix this step up in a bucket and portland ground, then get back out of the heat.
Speaker 4: It does pretty well.
Speaker 5: But I really like them for their leaf and their color effect and all that. And if you really want a big Japanese maple, plant it five feet away from.
Speaker 4: The house about this far. It's still kind of close.
Speaker 5: It's gonna look a little distant at first, why did you plant that thing in the middle of the front yard wine? He said, plant it out there, you know, and then you know eight years later it fits nicely. Keep it five to seven feet away from the sidewalk five to seven feet so away from the house, and it did quite well if you want to have them fairly close to there.
Speaker 4: There are some miniature varieties of the Japanese maple.
Speaker 5: There's an acer Palmatum dissectum, which gets about max t ten feet apart or so, and then there are some other ones that are too numerous. A name that Emperor's one that stays kind of small so it won't outdrove the space got it, and it likes the well drained areas. It does like some shielding from the midday sun. It will tolerate some sun pretty well, but your leaves on the top will tend to bleach a little bit, and you'll also get some winter damage from scorch sun scorch that's when it gets really really cold. That warm sun comes on there and it causes problems with the vascular with the vascular tissue on the stems.
Speaker 4: It causesus some issues.
Speaker 5: So they do need some shielding from the sun, but if anything, they need some shielding from the winter. So that's one of the biggest problems, is a sun scorch from are rapidly up and down the weather cycles in the winter. So it's a good one having the landscape. Keep in mind that it's it's crooked when you're when you're picking out a Japanese maple, don't pick out a straight one because it won't be that way, not growing lumber, growing an esthetically pleasing tree with kind of crooked branching on it. So really the ugliest one in the shop will be probably the best I can tree. I know at my house one comes out this way and it's got a branch over this way, and then it comes away out and it's even in the winter time, it's really fascinating to look. So Japanese maple is a good thing in the landscape. They do very well in areas of hillcrest and with them parked beautiful plants over there, got on the big old Japanese maples and some of the older parks of Colonial there's some down there too. They're real pretty also, so they do associate very well with other trees. Keep them away from hackberry trees because hackberry, the rich system of the hackberry tree tends to be very aggressive. It can cause some problems. So you had that, well you might consider something else, Yeah, you plants. Well, actually we've planted them in there. They've stayed up pretty well with.
Speaker 4: With hackbray trees.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's because they're toxic, but peez so. But the Jaffese maple can't tolerate a lot of heavy competition like that. All right, good plan to have in the landscape. It's a specimen interest plant.
Speaker 4: Very good.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 8: Did you know Green Tam Nursery in Greenhouse Is is home to Barnos Bill's largest election of quality plants shot their new sales Ribera daisies thirty percent off, Rosa Sharon African Violence, Japanese maples, Colemanus hydrangs all thirty percent off, perennials get a dollar off person lane hanging basket regularly twenty four ninety nine now nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 13: And roses at fifty percent off.
Speaker 8: The blueberries blackberries all forty percent off, but only at Greenthum. There's three greenhouses on the water Road. Open Monday through Saturday, nine to five, eleven to four on Sunday.
Speaker 13: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 11: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 13: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 11: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 14: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 11: Well, you better call Kelly's Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 13: What's that number?
Speaker 15: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 14: Call it today for your tree trimming, stomp grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 15: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 11: Prescription pricing points.
Speaker 18: The corporate freedom of the press is about your right to know. It's about your right to be informed. Today there are real threats to press. Free's a riching residential areas, and you're right to know about the world around us. We must protect our right to know, no matter what kind of news is important to you.
Speaker 11: Question before it's too late, understand the threats. Protect press freedom dot org.
Speaker 8: Melissa Wandle was nine months pregnant with her first child when her husband Mark was killed in a car accident. His life insurance made a huge difference for Melissa and her daughter Madison.
Speaker 6: I wasn't going to have to worry about going to work every day, leaving her in the hands of somebody else struggling day by day to get by.
Speaker 4: A message from the nonprofit Life Foundation.
Speaker 3: Ooh, this is what they think.
Speaker 13: Cobout me thy gun.
Speaker 2: He it's eight forty five. It's the Green Country Gardner program. I'm DoD He's Larry Glass. He's our expert. You can ask Larry a question or if you have a comment, and we can share it right here together. At one eight hundred seven nine five nine three six. That is the number, Larry.
Speaker 5: With all the rain we've had and the heat comes on, you want to get some cracking on you tomatoes, So you might want to pick them when they start to turn a little bit on the pink side, just so you don't get those nasty old multi cracks.
Speaker 3: On your Yeah, just say not a crack on the tomato.
Speaker 5: That's what I do when I have the tomatoes. We pick them just when they start to lighten up a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, stick them in the window for a while, rotating a little go in.
Speaker 4: The window cill and they do just fine.
Speaker 5: The heat is pretty bad about that, and we have a lot of moisture in the ground too, so they're soaking up a lot of water. So there's just going to be some cracking on the tomatoes. So you might want to pick them while their skins still kind of tough.
Speaker 4: Oa, right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Chinese pistache is another tree we can talk about. This is a very popular one. They grow up to about fifty feet at the most fifty foot tall the wide, and they're crooking and gangling when young, you know what, we all, but they will they'll straighten up with age though. What The good thing about this is the excellent fall color, and it's very deeply rooted too, so it'll go down and seek out new life and new civilizations rather deeply into the ground.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the phones here real quick. Hey, good morning, welcome. You're on the air with the Green Country Gardener.
Speaker 7: Why do you want to put your tomatoes in the window?
Speaker 5: Still, Well, if it's gonna get really hot like that and the ground's kind of saturated and you could get some cracking.
Speaker 7: Well, tomatoes rife and in the absence of light, okay, rife and with the sun. Oh okay, so well I've always put mine in the window sill. So well that's a no, that's an old wives tale thing.
Speaker 5: Well we're both very old wives, yes, so anyway, yeah, it's uh well put them in the dark and okay, all right, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All right, there you go. Well, I'm gonna get it when I get home. Get those tomatoes.
Speaker 4: Out the window sill.
Speaker 5: Well, the windows in the east window, so and I can see when they're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so.
Speaker 4: There might be a little bit of an issue with cracking.
Speaker 5: So anyway, the Chinese pistache, it's very disease resistant tree, and it's dioecious libra or not. That means male and female are on a separate plant. One has male flowers, one has female flowers. So if you want to get one, if you if you want to pustache, if you don't want the female seeds, you want to pick one that's fairly mature. That's a nursery or whatever, or ask if it's a cloned one. It's just been it's just a a female for sure. Was a cloned off of a female plant? Or is it or is a seed drone typically we have clones at the nursery, so most of them are going to turn out to be male. You don't have the name seeds everywhere. Now, then what up and get through?
Speaker 3: Though, I know how that goes anywhere.
Speaker 5: I got lucky at my house when when I dugling up out of the backyard.
Speaker 4: It's made a really good tree. I mean it's the trunk.
Speaker 3: Is really pretty good size. Yeah, and it.
Speaker 5: Has no problems at all. I do need to trim it up a little bit. It looks kind of like doctor Seus's tree really.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've seen those in the books.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I need to work on a little bit.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, just pistache is a good one. I liked it close to structures or the garage or somewhere. Does shield stuff in the afternoon from the heat. Does well around patios. But you want to make sure you get a mail plant if you're going to put it close to the house.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it. Very very few bug problems.
Speaker 5: I have seen some bore problems with pistache trees, so that's something against which they are not immune. So you want to keep them pretty healthy and fertilized. You know, they don't have to fertilize it too much, but you don't want to put them under too much stress.
Speaker 4: They'll do fine. This tree I have to do nothing too, so that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: You've got a lot of stuff in your yard. You've really not had to do anything to.
Speaker 5: Get One plant I have I did a long time ago, and it's a weeping bald cypress.
Speaker 4: And it comes up, droves up, and then.
Speaker 5: The branches just weep and hang over like this weep beautiful plant really and bald cypress gallop. It's as tough as the day as long doesn't bother them, and it's really very showy. Actually, how big of that thing yet? It's about twelve feet tall right now. It's been in there for a good twenty years. But it's weeping bald cypress. And I really do like this plant because I do nothing to it.
Speaker 3: You don't have to maintain. You have to do a trimmery. Oh.
Speaker 4: I have a few dead branches here and there.
Speaker 5: You kind of shape it up a little bit, but they don't do too much too. Wow, and it's getting fairly large.
Speaker 3: I kind of like those that are on independence.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 5: Now, my plumb tree that's on the south side of it is starting to die out there, so they kind of run the course. But I got to pull it out then you'll be able to see it more clearly. But it's it's really very kind of an interesting study in a textural stuff in the landscape, textural appearance and differences and so on. So anyway, so there are some interesting plants like that. Another one is a ruby falls a red bud. We planted some of those in town and they are really really nice.
Speaker 4: It's a red bud.
Speaker 5: You know, it's native to the area so we can tolerate the conditions pretty well. And this one grows weeping like this, and the leaves are red and it has all these flowers on it. In the spring, it's very very showy for the most part. But August, July and August and September, red buds get a little ugly. Well it's so hot, yeah, and the leaves tend to kind of brown a little bit. But anyway, the the ruby Fall's red bud, it's very attractive tree. We planted a few. There's one in Glenua we planted. Go into his house city check out his drain. But anyway, and it just when it blooms it's just beautiful and there's nothing to it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: So uh so, plants like that in the landscape, the ruby fall's red bud, the Chinese pustache, and the bold cress trees that really do very well without a lot of care.
Speaker 3: All those take pretty good sun. They take it over the Wow.
Speaker 5: So consider that, and and the Japanese ma able to consider that for specimen interest trees in the landscape, they should be highlighted somewhere, somewhere you can see them, are framed with a bed around them, or other plants beside them, or something to make them really pop out.
Speaker 4: Okay, it looks good.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break. We'll be back after this three minute time out.
Speaker 12: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in heartcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings. Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension Dot org Slash st John Hart.
Speaker 11: Jane Phillips in Bartlesville.
Speaker 19: In nineteen thirty nine, James Farley, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee and Franklin Roosevelt's Postmaster General, traveled to Bartlesville, Oklahoma to meet with Frank Phillips. This was a special meeting, and for Frank, a bit different, as Farley did not come to visit about oil or banking. He had another purpose. He came to Bartlesville to try to convince mister Phillips to buy the New York Yankees baseball team. The former owner had died in nineteen thirty nine, and Farley and others felt that Frank had the resources necessary to buy the ball club. Already a wonderful dynasty with such greats as Babe Ruth and Lou Garrick leading the way, the Yankees were known worldwide and would certainly provide great personal and professional exposure to Frank in to Phillips Petroleum. After much consideration, Frank decided not to buy the Yankees, and despite their continued success, he never regretted that decision, as he told his friends, I just couldn't buy him. I've always been a National League man. Come enjoy the magic of Willarock and welcome home to Willarock.
Speaker 1: It's hate bailing time and if you're a old bailor is not working its best. Hay Baylor's by Cabota has a solution. Hi Kevin Emberson from Roman's Outdoor Power. If you need a tight net rap bail Cabota Model BV forty one eighty. It's one of our top best bessage Special four x six net rap bailer provides more value in your bails and with your approved credit zero down, you can get zero percent APR for up to thirty six months now through September thirtieth, twenty twenty five cs org Take Devota USA dot com. That's Roman's Outdoor Power, your Cabota dealer Highway seventy five in Barsville, Independence or online Okkiboda dot com.
Speaker 7: Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 15: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war.
Speaker 11: They're going to need voices.
Speaker 4: Perilized Veterans of America represents them changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit PVA dot org.
Speaker 5: A public service message from paralyzed veterans of America.
Speaker 9: Extinction is forever. To save america as most iconic and imperiled species from extinction, we must fight for their future, Fight to save the natural lands that wildlife call home, fight to limit pollution, fight for smart development, fight for their future, and fight for ours. For So Goes Nature, So Goes.
Speaker 2: Eight twenty six is our time Green Country Gardener program and our total free number one eight hundred seven four nine five nine three six. If you want to reach out and touch Larry, Hey, I'm Tom. He's Larry, he's the guru. I just answered the phones. We had a little fun together, and uh, let's see, we just got a few minutes Left's the.
Speaker 4: Rain gage, Mike. Yeah, look at that two and our.
Speaker 5: Two and about three eight inches of the range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go. That's a professional rain gauge. It looks like a big old bucket you got there.
Speaker 5: No, it's just a regular ring too. We calibrated too. Yeah, it's the big one. So for those of us who are.
Speaker 4: Old, we can see it, we can read it.
Speaker 13: Golly.
Speaker 4: So we had a couple of inches of rain this week.
Speaker 10: Not bad.
Speaker 4: So final last very long we're going of the weather.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this this will drive up quickly.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going to talk a little bit about.
Speaker 5: The door feelup on holiday. Yep, they're a very versatile planet in the landscape. That's in the lighthouse that are forty years old, so they're durable, and they're not even knee high. What do I do to keep them that small? Some people let them get too big. They can't get up to ten feet tall. Better get the out the electric hedge climmers.
Speaker 4: Poor things. Only use them once a year and just cut them.
Speaker 3: Flat Saint Valentine's Day massacre about the.
Speaker 5: Middle of February, saying wow, And I just cut them and so you can kind of see in between. And about two weeks later they're growing and all this fills back in and it makes for a small mounted shrub.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 5: But it's just this one thing. The only thing I do with them all year long is just that one cutback.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: And I don't cut it around the edge, just flat across the block. It may seem a little odd, but it works. But I have the windows that are about this tall, and I didn't want to cover them up. So the dwarf jop on holly is in front there. Yeah, Kevin is envious, like walking back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got one that.
Speaker 5: I think The thing is his heads clippers probably weigh a couple of thousand pounds.
Speaker 3: Ye bounce it on the back of a tracker.
Speaker 5: So that's the secret to keep him, the dwarf yop on holly in shape and in bounds. It's just once a year cutting him back real well. And then I use some iron sulfate on them and some just good old shrub fur laser, just general purpose whatever I got. They're not too picky, and it maintains a really fairly dark green color the dwarf jop on holly. Typically it's kind of a grayish green color, and it's not as dark green as we might want it to be green too, So that's kind and what I like about this plant is not a whole lot really bothers it Now. Going into the winter, though, you want to make sure that the ground is well mulched one and number two not permitted.
Speaker 4: To get really dry, because you.
Speaker 5: Can't get some sporadic die off on this if if it's not tended to in the in.
Speaker 3: The fall at the shop.
Speaker 4: At the shop, we got all kinds of stuff on sale.
Speaker 5: We've got some really nice perennials still around, and how many weird plants and so on, checking the plants, plenty of hanging baskets and all that, and got a lot of stuff on sale.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, yeah, we're all going, uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got trees and shrubs, and give us a shout and I come out to your house and laugh at your landscape. Anyway, tom, it's been a good show this week. We do a lot of talking and hopefully we help out some people here and there.
Speaker 3: And we learned that we don't put our tomatoes.
Speaker 5: In the sun exactly, and also we need to keep that shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 13: Dignity, Compassion, excellence.
Speaker 10: Stuff in your home and crematory Bartlesfield, No water, barn stock.
Speaker 11: We have bar