Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Before we do get started, I do want to let you know this program is brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners, and I particularly want to thank John who has become a Patreon supporter on a recurring monthly basis at our seamous level four dollars or more a month. You can support the show at Patreon dot Great detectives dot net. We also received four donations through the mail, two were anonymous, and I also want to thanks Sherry and lend Us so much for their support, and you can mail end donations to Adam Graham peelbox one five nine one three, Boise, Idaho eight three seven one five. Well, now it's time for today's episode of The Great Detractors Old Time Radio and the Adventures of Philip Marlow. The original air date the May twenty third of nineteen fifty and the title is the Fox's tail.
Speaker 2: Get this and get it straight. Crime is a sucker's road. Those who travel it wind up in the gut of the prisoner in early grave, there's no other end. They never learn.
Speaker 3: From the pen of Raymond Chandler, outstanding author of crime fiction comes his most famous character in the Adventures of Philip Marlowe. Now with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe. We bring you tonight's transcribe story the Fox's Tales.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there is sometimes when the phone just never should have been invented. Hello marlow speaking.
Speaker 4: This is Arn Metcalf. You remember me?
Speaker 2: Oh sure, bear'still What are going to do for.
Speaker 4: You to meet me here at the blue Chip Bar? At once?
Speaker 2: Man, Look, I can hardly hear you speak up?
Speaker 4: What you are at the blue Chip Bar? Yeah, it's a miserable cafe on Melrose.
Speaker 2: Nel bl Breer.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm in a booth, the last one on your right as you went to. But be careful for we can't afford the seine. And please hurry, I'll pay you, handsome to do what or do you impersonate I did?
Speaker 2: The blue Chip was an indelicate assortment of stale smells. Surrounding pictures of Lady good diver, some without horses and featuring low lights, lower client tele and the lowest grade of bar whiskey. Against that backdrop, my new client stood out like a Dresen doll in a police lineup, or a metcalf in spite of the electricity in his voice. There's only five and a half feet tall, couldn't have weighed more than one hundred and thirty pounds, including the glitter of honorary fraternity pin dangled from his watchchair. It was maybe fifty ball, wore glasses halfway down a long nose, and at the moment it was as nonchalant as a five inch firecracker with a sputtering fume.
Speaker 4: Sit down, Sit down, Listen to Cathleen.
Speaker 2: It's going to be hot in here, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: I am representing a man named Kuban in a lawsuit. Rudolph Kuban. He's a manufacturing chemist, Hungarian bourn at present phil in a sanitarium. The nervous system.
Speaker 2: Will take just so much name I know, and look this Rudolph Kuban is suing or being sued, which is suing.
Speaker 4: And nobody less than his former employer the eminent Justin Shepard.
Speaker 2: Justin Shepard. He turns out cosmetics. Doesn't he make up lipstick? That kind of stuff?
Speaker 4: Hey? Yes, stuff Mollow, which includes a new and revolutionary neo polish that's worth a fortune.
Speaker 2: Which was invented by your client and stolen phone by Justin Sheppard.
Speaker 4: Exactly. We're suing for two upre and fifty thousand dollars in damages Mallow, but we'll settle out of court for one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in cash.
Speaker 2: Hell not as simplest. Now the trial field has Oh wait, what's.
Speaker 4: Some brandy? Please? Comeya the kid?
Speaker 2: Like I said, all right, Junior, two beers skip the shadow. We gotta catch a train. Okay be So yeah what not awful? You were talking about the trial arm?
Speaker 4: Oh yes? Now the whole point field is that every witness we had at the outset have so far either been bought off or frightened away by Shepherd and his crew with one exception.
Speaker 2: You're raising the hole. Huh.
Speaker 4: Yes. A man named Max Redmond. He worked with Rudolph Kuvian years ago in Chicago when Kuvian first perfected the lacquer base which makes the neopolis farming most valuable. Redmond's testimony could have swung everything all away, and justin Shepard found this out.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, a minute, what do you mean could have arm Hey, yeah, we're even.
Speaker 4: Now. Mallow the dead man I spoke and Max Redmon are one and the same. Shepherd murderer. It worse, he drove Max Redmond to suicide. Mallow the man shot himself.
Speaker 2: An hour ago. I don't follow that well.
Speaker 4: Redman was staying here in La with his wife. I'll tell you the address in a moment. It's nearby. And although neither Shepherd nor his cronies ever got to see Redmond, they knew where he was and where he came from. With that, they went to work black Mauron. Oh, yes, years ago, Redmond got in a jam. I had no idea what it was, something he was conscious stricken about, and Shepherd uncovered it then got through to Redmond on the phone. He struck home.
Speaker 2: His blackmail price was Redmond's silence and.
Speaker 4: Right you up. Shepherd told him to get out of town. But when I talked to Redmond an hour ago, he was positive that Shepherd would demand more in the future. Redmond was already Hystericnes said he wished he'd never heard of me or Rudolph Kuvia, and then he hung up. Well, when I got to his apartment, I found him dead, shot by his own hand. His pistol is aside. It was offer. Yeah, tell me Arin, what about Redmond's wife Bill? Her name is Louise, as she's out of town right now. He was afraid for her and made her go away. Yet any read Phil, You see what I'm getting out, Jo Jordan. The reason I want you to work for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. Shepperd and his buddies don't know Redmond's killed himself. And if I give the impression by posing his Redmond that he's still alive and not leaving town, Shepperd will figure that his black Man angle didn't work. U. He'll get together with you and settled before tomorrow morning, when Redmand would have taken the witness stand.
Speaker 4: Precisely filled one hundred and a half settlement as against the court. Award of a quarter of a million means a saving of one hundred thousand dollars to Shepherd, he'll pay it as long as he thinks Redmond's still alive and willing to testify him.
Speaker 2: Where now will you do it, Marlowe poses Redmond. Eh, there's one thousand dollars in it by him. I don't know a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Villa and Rudolph Coubion helped us in the sanitary and Max Redmond.
Speaker 2: It's an awful lot to turn down, isn't it? I thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Now, then here's the deal.
Speaker 2: What a man? How about it?
Speaker 6: The new questions?
Speaker 4: Every minute counts. Now. I have got Redmond's top code right here. Now you put it on when you leave. And here are the keys to his apartment. It's the Garden Court Apartments on South Ogden, South Arkman. Yes, right now, you sneak inside. Then a minute later, very obviously, go out again. Get into his car. It's a new green ash. Drive up into the Hollywood Hills along Lookout Road. Why there were Redmond drove up there a lot. Now later, return to the apartment. You'll probably be followed, as Redmond always was, and the man would be big and muscular and in the black coupet. Now once they know that Redmond. Ah, but that's you, of course, yes, sure doesn't intend to leave town. There may be an attempt in your life, so watch your step getting killed as Redmond destroys the illusion we're out to create.
Speaker 2: That's not all it destroys. Eh may destroy me, it played his outline. A minute after, I drove Redman's car out of his garage and conspicuously signaled a left turn with a plaid sleeve. I picked up my escort. His headlights stayed in my rear view mirror all the way along Sunset Boulevard and then up into the hills a long lookout road. I drove slowly until I cleared a half in turn and spotted a flat open lot about one hundred yards ahead into my right. It overlooked the city below and was dotted with cement bags, piles of lumber, and bulldozer that had gone to bed hours ago. I swerved off the road, sharply, cut my lights and part close to the edge of the cliff. Then I piled out of the car and quickly set up the oldest trick in the book. I took off the plaid coat, tossed it over a shoulder high board jetting out of a lumber pile, topped it with my hat, and ran for cover behind the bulldozer. I got there just as the black coup pulled in, cut its lights and round it was stopped. Then I saw something big and beefy get out and saw at the coat and ugly snub nosed gun in hand. I reached my thirty eight and slowly moved through the ankle beaque weeds until I was only a few feet behind him. When he fired at the coat, I was only inches away. What does that make it my turn? Don't try it. You're not Redmond and not a lot of people. Drop your gun. Go on, what are you gonna do? I'll ask the questions. What's your name? Gaffy? Working for Justin Sheppard? No, no, no, I was just you're just a liar. That's nothing compared to what's in stuff for you. No, I worked for Shepherd, all right, And you were tagging me thinking I was Redmond to see if I was going out of town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I had orders to knock your I mean, knock Redmond off if he didn't go straight for the airport. That's all, honest. I don't know anymore.
Speaker 2: Get up, walk over to that tube in there, open it and get in. Go on, go on, keep moving and keep your hands open. All right. I want to have a little chat with Justin Shephard's home address. What is it? He ain't got one.
Speaker 7: He stays at the hotels.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 4: It's the BigMan Plasant, Beverly Hills. Now quick, but yeah, that's all I know.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure you see here. I believe you. You've got such anonymous face for a killer sweet dreams bust in.
Speaker 8: Two dozen gladiolas and one dozen golden eye wrists. Yes, and deliver them here to the desk of the Featman Plaza Hotel. No, it's not in Santa Monica. It's in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: It has been for years.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, stupid good people.
Speaker 2: They're just everywhere, aren't there.
Speaker 4: Indeed, may I help you, sir?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was looking for mister Justin Shepherd. Is he in?
Speaker 8: Oh yes, sir, you could almost reach out and touch him. No, that's he over there reading the paper in the Louis fourteenth chair.
Speaker 4: You see the short.
Speaker 8: Round man to one side of that woman wearing that stunning taffata. Stunning taffaa.
Speaker 4: You see it's applicated with those bright red roses.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I couldn't miss him. Turn right at the stunning taffa.
Speaker 8: Goodbye, You're quite welcome welcome and dee goodbye, mister Shepherd.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 2: My name is Philip Marlow. I'm a private detective. I've heard of you.
Speaker 7: Huh, what's on your mind? Mister Marlow?
Speaker 2: A chemist? What about him? What does he have to do with me? Earl Geffney who?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 7: Who is Earl Geffney.
Speaker 2: Alaos who missed? Like the rest of them will? Max Redmond is still alive and I intend to keep him that way. Good night, mister Shepherd, see you in court. The effect was great. The fat Man's mouth fell open and his chins jellied all over his chest. I let it go at that. The illusion was established. As far as Justin Sheppard and company were concerned. Max Redmond was very much alive and kicking up the kind of trouble that they didn't want. But twenty minutes later, when I let myself into the dead Man's apartment and walked into his bedroom, I knew the illusion was only an illusion. Max Redmond's body was sprawled at a crazy angle across the bed. I wondered what he could have possibly done to take this easy way out. I stopped wondering when the front door closed was a woman the deepest brown eyes I've ever seen?
Speaker 6: What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 2: My name is Max Redman.
Speaker 6: You're lying? Where is Max?
Speaker 2: Tell me where is he? He's in the bedroom. You're a friend of his.
Speaker 6: I'm his wife, and I'm going to speak to him. Don't try to stop me.
Speaker 2: I won't missus, Redmond, go ahead.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, the second act of Philip Marlowe, but first Bing Crosby climaxes his season on seebe has this Wednesday night with a terrific lineup of top talent Arthur Godfrey, Bob Hope, Perry Como, and the four Crosby sons who've attracted nationwide attention as his guests earlier this year. Bing Arthur Godfrey, Bob Hope, Perry Como and the youngsters will be heard in a great musical round up with the season's top tunes. So be listening this Wednesday when on most of these same CBS stations, The Bing Crosby Show comes along with these top guests.
Speaker 2: Now with our star Gerald Moore.
Speaker 3: The second act of Philip Marlowe and Tonight's story The Fox's Tale.
Speaker 2: Louise Redman's Dog Troubled Eyes stared at the bedroom door for an instant, and she dotted past me and inside. When she saw him, she froze her eyes on the gun at the bed man's side. One hand trembles to the mud. Hang out of yourself, baby, Max, Max?
Speaker 6: Why did you do it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Has Bean had proof that a fed buzzard named justin Shepherd's swindle of forces from Rudolph Couvian, an old friend of his, was going to offer that proof tomorrow morning in court.
Speaker 6: He wouldn't kill himself because of that.
Speaker 2: Well, there must have been something in his past that he couldn't live with any longer. Do you know what it was? Louise?
Speaker 6: I don't believe any of this. You were in here posing as Max. You're responsible for his death.
Speaker 2: You want to get away? Give me that gun. That's better. It's smart enough to give in fast. Anyway. I sit down over there and listened. Are you?
Speaker 6: Who are you?
Speaker 2: And Philip Marlow hired by Iron Metcalf. You know him? Yes, he found Max like that. They couldn't let Shepherd know that the case against him was dead, so he hired me to keep up the illusion that Max was still alive and wrong. Medcalf is sure that sheper will crack before morning. We'll need your cooperation, Louise. How about it?
Speaker 9: When you took that gun away from me, you smashed my only picked Max. You couldn't even leave me that intact.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I know it's going to be tough on your baby, but hey, wait a minute, Wait a minute, Louise. Did did Max write that on the picture there?
Speaker 6: Yes, to my Louise, who love Louise?
Speaker 2: Listen to me now this backhand script was Max left handed? Yes?
Speaker 4: But what is it?
Speaker 2: He was shot in the right temple.
Speaker 6: You mean that someone killed him?
Speaker 2: That's the general idea.
Speaker 6: Yeah, justin Shepard, the man Max intended to testify against.
Speaker 2: Unless he's a lot slicker than I think. But he has an assistance. A tough one named Kaffney was watching this place when I took over. If he did it then followed me, wouldn't have had a chance to report to his boss.
Speaker 6: I don't understand. Followed you where.
Speaker 2: Under that a lot on Lookout Road where Max liked to go. I caught Gaffney there and filed him away in a tool ben. I better go and have another check with that boy right now. You wait here? Now, look, baby, we can't quit. You've got to finish the job Max started for his old friend Kobe. And better than that, maybe we can get Max's killer too. Are you a game?
Speaker 9: I'll do what you say.
Speaker 2: Because I went out to Redmond's car, several things bothered me, and not the least of them were Louise Redmond's dog deep eyes. When I got in the car, I felt the pistol that he killed Max. It was in my pocket where I dropped it after I'd taken it away from the girl. I pulled it out and looked at it. It was a Belgian Browning seven sixty five automatic. I broke it apart, and then on a hunch, I slipped it back together, got out of the car again and took the gun up to Louise.
Speaker 6: I don't know much about guns.
Speaker 2: Mother, Well, you may have to do his point at Louise. The threat will probably be enough in case it isn't. That's the safety catch there on the side. I'll be back as soon as I can. When I pulled out onto the vacant hilltop lot, I sented the tool bin in the headlights. I was out of the car and wading through the foot high foxtail grass before I noticed the feet. The stick I'd shoved through the hasp was now on the ground. I ran the rest of the way and jerked a little open. Gaffney was gone. I started to close the lid, but stopped at something in the bottom of the bin. It like the coiled rattlesnake bitter. It was a glistening, sticky puddle, and it was blood screaming down from a hollow beside the lot. I ran to him. Saw two kids in the park car, scared stiff and staring into a tangle of brush in front of them.
Speaker 6: There's a man down there.
Speaker 2: He's hurt, badware.
Speaker 4: Show me in that brush.
Speaker 6: We both saw he stood up just a second ago, and he started tortoise. It was flood all over and then he fell down again.
Speaker 2: Okay, get your girl out of here, get back to your car.
Speaker 6: Okay, mister, hey, holy cats, you're Philip Marlows, the detective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, your picture.
Speaker 2: All right, Be a good fan and stay out of the way. The guy's dangerous.
Speaker 4: Go on, yo, Okay, come on, m.
Speaker 2: Jeffy, who did it? Jeffey, It's just.
Speaker 4: What I just spill him?
Speaker 2: Who? Who know who? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hey, mister Moller.
Speaker 6: Hey, mister Moller, did you Did you find him?
Speaker 4: Mister Moller?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found him, so he's dead.
Speaker 4: Holy care, I.
Speaker 2: Love doing me a favor. Will you get to a phone report this to the police. They'll not get in touch with him as soon as I can.
Speaker 6: Okay, who show, mister Moller, you're right away.
Speaker 2: Next step had to be justin Shepherd's hotel, and now I had more to go on and a couple of hints from left field. As I pulled up in front, I saw a Shepherd behind sixteen cylinders of imported limousine, swinging away from the curve. It seemed in no particular hurry, so I tailed him far enough to realize that he could be heading Max Redmond's apart, and I set off through the side streets wide open, get back to the apartment in time to brace Louise for Shepherd's visit.
Speaker 6: But Marlow, what can I do? Maybe I.
Speaker 2: Maybe I better let him in?
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Yes, stand aside, young woman, I'm coming in.
Speaker 2: Please do Shepherd.
Speaker 4: You again?
Speaker 2: Nice of you to drop in. What have you got in the bag lunch?
Speaker 7: Don't be facetious and don't worry.
Speaker 2: It's all here. I know when I'm beaten.
Speaker 7: I suppose it would be quite pointless to ask where Redmond himself.
Speaker 2: Is completely pointless of this, late Dad, very well, and.
Speaker 7: I assume I am to leave this with you. That's right, It had better be right, my book, believe me, good night.
Speaker 2: In just a minute. How come you're running your own errands?
Speaker 7: You took care of that yourself earlier tonight. You're a competent man.
Speaker 2: You should be working for me. Working for you has its drawback, Shepherd, But you must at Gaffney didn't die right away.
Speaker 7: Gasney's dead.
Speaker 2: Be careful, hey, live long enough to tell me it was framed, Shepherd by you. When you can prove that, I'll be at my hotel.
Speaker 7: But I advise you not to push your luck.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 6: You let him walk out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy was right, baby. So far we've got no proof of any of it except this bag. And whatever is.
Speaker 9: Money, Why it's filled with bundles of bills.
Speaker 2: Big ones, at least at least one hundred grand. Holy excuse me, will.
Speaker 6: Who are you called?
Speaker 2: Somebody will be very interested in this. You just wait and see.
Speaker 4: Medcalf speaking iron.
Speaker 2: This is Marlow. I'm at the Redmond place. And get this justin Shephard walked in here, dumped one hundred thousand bucks on the table and left again not a half minute ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, White, so bribe. We've got him pilled, We've got him. Don't catch it. I'll be right there.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, there's more on. Louise. Redmond came back.
Speaker 4: Louise in the middle of this mess.
Speaker 2: She's here now.
Speaker 4: It must have been rough on her to find Max.
Speaker 2: Worse than you think, because that's still not all. What do you mean that you can bet your briefcase on the fact that Max didn't kill himself in the first place. He was murdered.
Speaker 4: Shit tight, I'll be right there.
Speaker 2: Come money in Aaron, the money, Marlo, Where is it in the bag there on the table?
Speaker 4: Yeah, excellence, iron bound evidence less will We'll have this and pounded right away. Oh oh, missus redmin. I can't tell you how Surrey I am, my dear, thank you.
Speaker 6: Mister Medcalf.
Speaker 9: But I'm grateful to you and to mister Marlowe here that Max's death wasn't entirely without purpose.
Speaker 4: At least what about that, Phil? Can we prove he was murdery?
Speaker 2: Hell? The bullet entered his right temple, but he was left handed. That's about all we got.
Speaker 4: As simple as that, And yet it went by me completely.
Speaker 2: I doubt we can stick anybody for it.
Speaker 6: Why not not?
Speaker 2: Because his killer may be already already what m oh already dead?
Speaker 4: Another killing? But what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Man one? Earl Geffney, Shepherd's gentle assistant. I locked him in a tool ben, but somebody found him there.
Speaker 4: And shot him. Keep him quiet, justin Shepherd himself. Surely. Now, look, if we can't get him for Max, we'll nail him for Geffney.
Speaker 2: Don't count on it.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, we've got that fat lizard right, will we want him now?
Speaker 2: First, First of all, it won't fit on if Shepherd sent Gaffney to get Max then killed Gaffney. Why did he bring all this dough here to bribe a dead man? Well, she'll making sense for I know you'd say it. Okay, try this faside. Max Redman never intended to testify in court. He wasn't after a legal settlement because then the money would go past him to Rudolph Kuvian. This bribe here is all Max was after.
Speaker 4: But somebody was in it with him, you're crazy. How dare you say she's right?
Speaker 2: Mallow? Now you're talking like a fool, am I Max, no doubt, got into a beef with this partner over the split of the bribe and was shot. That's a guess, Sarn. But this isn't Gaffney got it because Max's killer couldn't figure how much Gaffney had heard and seen in here. He couldn't take a chance. You see, but weather killed. Gaffney had to wade through the same weeds I did in that vacant lot to get to him. And most of the weeds out there are foxtail grass, you know, the kind that comes off on your clothes. It sticks in your socks like little darts. That's right, Arn, Take a look your our giles are loaded with the stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't have to look. You're a bright boy, Phil. Thanks, it went just as you outlanded up to this point. I'm sorry you got so much of it right. Because you can't think of everything.
Speaker 2: You might be surprised. Don't reach for your gun, er and I'll drop you. It was a filthy scheme. Come on, hand it over your gun.
Speaker 6: Well shoot here now you drop it, Malow.
Speaker 2: Go on, Well, the heart broken little wife with the very same.
Speaker 6: Gun you so generously gave me.
Speaker 4: That's what I meant, Malow. You can't think of everybody. Louise and I are going away tonight together and we're taking that money with the sand steel Mallow.
Speaker 6: I know more about guns than I pretended.
Speaker 2: Sure you do. Sure I had a hunch about you early tonight. Baby, Your homecoming was too pat you know what. It didn't bring back so much as an overnight bag. And what's more, when I took that gun away from you, you practically handed it to me. You're acting all the way I'm not now.
Speaker 6: Louise, shoot him, shoot, shoot his hands, shoot the gun on.
Speaker 2: And it shoot pulling. I took one of the parts out before I gave it back to you, sweetheart. You couldn't make that go off with a blow. Help me, that's right. Iron helped the lady.
Speaker 6: Larren.
Speaker 2: Believe me, sister, you'd get the same thing right now, But for one good reason, I'm going to meet your intact net car tomorrow morning. By the time the police showed up or on Medcalf Dynamic Barrister and Louise Redmond Beautiful Dreamer were already coming apart at the scenes. Two hours later, when I finally got away from it, it was still screaming hysterical insults at each other. Before I went home, I stopped by the sanitarium just long enough to shake hands with Rudolf Kouban. Will turn out to be a nice, quiet, thoughtful old guy, and I assured him of a fair shape that was long overdue. I guess it made him happy. It was hard to tell, because the look on his face said that maybe the real price in things other than money had been much too high. Yeah, that's the way it is with some characters. The Human.
Speaker 3: The Adventures of Philip Marlowe Bringing You Raymond Chandler's most famous character, star Gerald Moore, are produced and directed by Norman McDonald and are written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gene Leavitt. Featured in tonight's transcribed cast where Howard mcneer, Lou Krugman, Rick Vallen, Parley Bear, Georgia Ellis, and Hugh Thomas. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard Urunt. Be sure and be with us again next week.
Speaker 2: When Philip Marlowe say, this time there was a fish that talked with a lisp, a hot blonde with cold cash on her mind, and a coups with dirty French cuffs, and I mixed with them all without ever getting out of my own bed.
Speaker 3: This Wednesday Night on CBS, Doctor Christian will bring you the prize winning script in this year's nationwide contest. CBS cordially invite you to hear Doctor Christian starring Geene Herscheldt, every Wednesday and most of these same CBS stations. This is Roy Rowan speaking. You can save for your future today. The United States Savings Bond Way Savings bonds are one of the surest, safest investments you can make.
Speaker 2: Because they're backed by Uncle Sam himself.
Speaker 3: You are sure of getting back four dollars for every three dollars you invest when the bond's mature in just ten years. Safe because even if the bonds are lost, destroyed, or stolen, your government will replace them at no charge, and bonds are simple and convenient to buy. Ask your employer to set aside an amount of money from your pay the amount you decide on automatically systematically you'll purchase savings bonds. If you're self employed, have your bank purchase a bond a month for you regularly save for your independence buy United States Savings bonds.
Speaker 2: There's the CDs where.
Speaker 3: Burns and Allen are heard every Wednesday night the Columbia Broadcasting System. This is Andrew J.
Speaker 2: Graham, author of the web surface series Oh and a Man of His Wife.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the great detectives of old time radio. Welcome back. Well, I did notice a slot change in the opening. We go from crime ending up in the prison, the gutter or the grave to the prison, the gutter or an early grave, which I guess makes sense because a lot of people end up with in the grave without actually committing any crimes. O. We're all a fine episode, very authentically Chandler resse love I think nearly every episode of this series, but a lot of them are more sunny than Chandler would tend to tell. This one definitely is the type of story he would have gone for. John sends along this comment. He writes, am I your most distant listener, Adam, greetings from Singapore. I doubt I am. I bet you have listeners from all over the world. I think you do a great job. I remember you said you learned to make the introduction short, but I liked your longer explanations a lot. I learned about the history of these programs and their background. I really enjoy Pat Novak for h really wish there were more, as well as Michael Shane. Maybe I'm a fan of creative similes. In any case, this is a great podcast, one I really enjoy. I'm now a proud patron supporter. Hope it is encouraging. Keep up the good work. Well, thanks so much. John. In terms of being most distant, you're actually pretty close. For my calculation. The one spot where I thought that there was going to be a big difference was we did have a listener from a Cutter at one point, but according to Google, you're much further away than Cutter. But we also have a lot of listeners in Australia, And while measuring to the center of Australia there's a difference of about one hundred miles in favor of Singapore, there may be somewhere further out in Australia where we have listeners. So you're not the furthest away, but you're certainly pretty close. You may, of course, as you're listening to this series, you're getting kind of a different taste of Michael Sane on Mondays. In about six months, we'll find out what he means as we play the New Adventures of Michael Shane. And finally, yes, it's definitely been encouraging as we have, you know, put our feed out. In terms of the Patreon campaign, it's definitely great to have that regular, stable support, though obviously I appreciate all the one time donations I get as well. It's been such a great model for so many programs that have tried it, so I'm very excited about how it's been growing and appreciate everyone who has taken part. All Right, well, that will do it for today. Join us back here tomorrow for Nick Carter. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detractives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com Slash Radio Detectives. But from Boiseida Hole, this is your home host Adam Grahamson and Off