Speaker 1: Happy Friday, everybody. That's right, we've made it to Friday.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: It is Kentucky in his morning news coffee and company with you here on news radio eight forty whas. And we now bring in the Mayor of Louisville, mister Craig Greenberg. Craig, how are we doing on this Friday morning.
Speaker 2: I'm doing very well. I always love when it's hot rod weekend. I own a nineteen seventy four Cadillac El Dorado convertible white with red leather, so going out and seeing the hot rods over the weekend is always one of rachel My favorite things to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's another reminder with us being here in the studios at four Street Live, they're prepared for a bigger crowd this weekend, and certainly I would say that event has a lot to do with it. But yeah, there's a lot of vehicle. It's such a just to see how much work and how much of a passion it is for these folks who own these really really cool cars. So yeah, certainly exciting weekend here, and we've got a big race tomorrow coming up, the Mayor Thon Race Series race the Runway five point two similar to it to five k. But tell us a little bit about this race. I know it's one of a few and it gets started here and people can still sign up if they want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, Nick. You know, I love to run, and I have found that it's not just great for physical health, but also for my mental health. And so most days I wake up and I get an early morning run in and I just find that to be a wonderful way to start today. And so I started a Mayorthon race theories thanks to Planet Fitness, who's been sponsoring this. The Planet Fitness Mayorthon. We have four runs and the first one starts tomorrow. I know it's been hot all week long, it looks like it's going to be cool tomorrow, but it's a really cool event. I wanted to try to find some race options where people could go and do things that they otherwise couldn't do. And this is literally you get to run on the runway. That's right. Bowman Field closes down for about an hour or so and the roughly five k race is on the runway at bowman Field and it's not competitive, So if you want, I mean, we of course time it and we've got to finish your things. But if people want to walk, that's okay too. We want to welcome families and runners and walkers of all abilities all times to just really enjoy the outdoors and really have a unique experience of running on an airplane runway. We had the first one last year. This is the second one. Registration's going great and it's a really cool event. My entire family and I cannot wait for it. We have some other three more events coming up over the coming months as well as part of the Planet Fitness mayor Thon Race series.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with you when it comes to running really being good for the mind. I enjoy running more so for that aspect other than anything. Certainly helps keep you in shave and whatnot. But when did you get when did running become certainly just a a big thing to you? Obviously you've done it for a long time, and I know Louisville fans really got a kick out of you and Josh Hurd running together a few times, in fact more than a few times. That was really cool to see.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'll tell you also, I can't really run with Josh anymore because he is far too far too fast. For me, He'll be having a full conversation and I can barely get yes or no answers at when we run together. He is an amazing runner, but we are Josh and I are pairing up to teaming up with U of L and us on the final race of this Mayrathon race series is going to be a new one called Through the vill and so it's going to be on a Saturday morning. I think it's in November, where you're going to race through u of l's campus, run through u of l's campus, or walk through ul's campus. And so I'm excited to work with Josh and U of L Athletics and the university on that. But I started running in law school. I was up in the Boston area and it happened to be the one hundredth anniversary of the Boston Marathon, and so I rode my bike with some law school friends to go watch the Boston Marathon. And it was the one year that you did not have to qualify for Boston. Normally you do with a very fast time. This was one hundredth anniversary. They took a lot of entries and I saw a lot of people that looked far more out of shape than me, even though I really wasn't in shape running a marathon, and I said I could do this, and I literally, on my way back to my law school apartment, I stopped off. I bought my first pair of running shoes. I started running in Boston, and that fall I ran the marathon. I ran the New York City Marathon, and I ran two marathons at that point in time in my life, the New York and Chicago. I've been running ever since. No desire to do another marathon right now. I love the minis each year, but I've been running for over about twenty five years now.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, I don't know anybody that has ever trained for even a five k, and certainly a mini or maybe a marathon that regretted it afterwards, because you really challenge yourself to get prepared for it. If in fact, you do prepare yourself for it, you're certainly better off doing that. But yeah, I did the Triple Crown of Races a few years back and need to get back into it. I won't be able to make it this weekend, but I've been I've been encouraged by some others to join these other races, and I think I'm going to do it. Should be, should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Definitely will come on out and I know you'll love in, particularly through the zill One.
Speaker 1: That's all I absolutely so. I'm going to use this word. You may not use it, but Louisville dominated the USA Today's ten Best Attractions list, and I'm not totally surprised by this, but to see that we are the only city that can claim for of our tourist attractions essentially for sports fans, is in this top ten with Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory, Muhammad Ali Center, and the Kentucky Derby Museum. I would be curious, and I'm not asking you to answer the question by any means, but I don't know, people realize that we have some really cool stuff right here in our hometown that people not only take in when they're in Louisville, they come to Louisville to experience it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, tourism is a huge industry for us. We have gotten That's what I think is one of our secret sauces, you know, because every year we've got great practice hosting the world for the Kentucky Derby, and now we're hosting the world every fall for Bourbon and Beyond and Louder than Life. Those weeks have become as big or actually bigger than Derby, and this year we're gonna have probably over seventy thousand people one night Louder than Life. Last year we set records with Bourbon and Beyond, and so we are well prepared to welcome the world all of the time, whether it's for the Street Rods this week, you know some of these other events. Just a couple of weeks ago had the largest basketball tournament in the world with the Run for the Roses, a women's basketball tournament out at the Expo Center. That that is what we do wonderfully. And we've got some great amenities that are in many cases historic, and you've got the historic Church Will Downs, you've got Louisville Slugger and everything that has meant for our at least baseball history, but even more than baseball, it's it's become an icon. And then of course you know the center that really that is just so wonderful to have in our community, honoring the goat Muhammad Aldi Center that does an amazing job and Lannie and Devon and that whole team have really done wonders. They've got great plans for the future. So and then the Derby Museum. If you haven't seen the new film at the Derby Museum, it's really spectacular to give you goose bumps. So we have and there's more too. You know. We just have great events and we'd love to welcome the world here. And I'm excited about some of the things that we were competing for right now that I hope we win and can announce that are going to continue to bring people here. You know. In twenty twenty eight, we've got the Solheim Cup. That's the women's version of the Ryders Cup. That's going to be another spectacular event at Valhalla, only in Louisville.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, as a proud Liavillion myself, when I see the comments from the club that came here and played against lu City FC over the weekend from Germany to hear them really not know what to expect about Louisville, but really seemingly very genuinely impressed and really loved it. I mean that's got to make you happy as the mayor, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and have a chance to meet a few of those folks from Atrak Frankfurt, and you could tell they were just blown away. They're traveling around the US this summer, they're seeing a lot of different places, but they know there's something special here in Louisville. And that's another area of soccer where I'm hoping we can grow too. We had a record breaking event with the US women's national team last fall. We are a potential home based city for the World Cup next year when it comes to America. So that's another area I'm hoping that the teams come back next summer as well. The crowds were out for that. There were eleven thousand people at Lynn Familey Stadium last week watching on Track Frankfurt play aston Villa in the Premier League team. It was wonderful.
Speaker 1: Mayor Krek Greenberg Jeremy joins me here on news Radio eight forty whas some news last week that I think was a surprise to a lot of people, and certainly the reaction was I guess different depending on who you talked to. But the Kentucky Oaks Race is making the move from a late afternoon race to being under the lights at night in primetime on NBC. How is this move, what are the expectations as far as impact. Obviously there's some local businesses as far as restaurants that may be a little worried about the crowd not being what it has been typically. But just your thoughts on sort of this move and what it could mean for the city of Louisville on that week, really just of Derby week here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's start with the incredible positive news, which is that Louisville is going to be in the national spotlight for two straight days on primetime in NBC. The Kentucky Oaks Race is going to be run, There's going to be a full hour coverage talking about our city, about Churchill Downs. It's going to make the Derby an even bigger internationally iconic event. And so for all those reasons, it's wonderful for the Derby, it's wonderful for Churchill Downs, it's wonderful for the city of Louisville and the state of Kentucky. So that's the great news. You know, it's definitely a big change, and Derby is big business for local businesses in our city, particularly in the hospitality industry, which we've just just been talking about. So this change is going to have an impact on locals. We're going to be encouraging locals to dine out on Oaks Night continue. If you're not out at the track, it's a good opportunity to go out on Oaks Night when you otherwise might not have. I've been speaking with folks from the Restaurant Association here to figure out other ways that we can continue to promote local restaurants on Derby week and then really all year round as well. I mean, Louisville is a foody city. We have amazing restaurants. We've got amazing places, whether it's bars and restaurants to enjoy of all sorts. So I hope people really continue to support our local restaurants and we'll work with it. You know, habits will change. People get into the habit of doing Derby Weekend a certain way. That's going to be a little bit different now and there'll be a new normal. But I'm I'm optimistic that it is going to continue to grow for everyone, including local businesses and restaurants.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it'll be a positive for everybody involved. And I wouldn't pretend to know what typical crowds that you see on Oaks Night at all the various great restaurants that we do have, but there's a lot of places.
Speaker 2: It's probably the biggest night of the year.
Speaker 1: But it's tough to get a table, Craig on any Saturday and some of these places or a Friday. So I'm thinking if we're talking about the week of Derby, when people are here, like I mean, I don't think those tables are going to be empty, but I'm with you, I think it'll be Yeah, And you're right. The spotlight there, I mean, that's really that really shows what NBC the sees of what they get out of the Churchill, out of the Derby, and clearly they know that there's some real value there with Oaks and certainly putting a bigger spotlight on this city is great. One more thing I wanted to mention, Craig. I don't know if this was something you planned on doing, it was an initiative for you, but I just wanted to share with you that I know it does not go unnoticed and unappreciated. I know you've been in a lot of these camps across the city of Louisville with former athletes, some of them that played for U of L, some didn't, and you know Deanta Parker obviously, D'Angelo, Russell, Josh Minkin's and they have these these camps that they put on for kids and they give back to the community. And I know, you being there and sort of honoring them, that has only given them more I guess, incentive to feel proud of being from Louisville and want to use their platform and their success to help the community. I just want, I think that's really cool that you're doing that. But is that just I mean, did that come natural? I know it's probably not getting as much attention as maybe maybe it should in my opinion, But I just know some of these guys, they that means a lot to them to be from Louisville. We so often just think about red Blue Louisville, Kentucky, and there's some guys who played here transferred out. Are some guys like D'Angelo that that didn't play here. But to get you know, the honor from the mayor, I mean that goes long way.
Speaker 2: Well. I actually give credit on this one to my wife Rachel. It was her idea that we first. Of course she got connected. I think Davante was the first one and got connected with Davante and some of his friends that had common friends with Rachel, and so it was her idea to go support them at the camp, and you know, we became good friends with Davonte and Ali and some of his crew and his family, and then we just got to know others. And DeAngelo and his family do amazing things for our city. They've done wonderful things at Algonquin Park and for kids around here. And then this year we got to meet josh Mincoln's and his family and that and that was wonderful. He's a fellow Ballad grad like me, and he's you know, the fact that he is getting ready for training camp and still here in Louisville giving back to kids with what was an amazing football day at Low City was great. And his parents family does stuff year round. As a matter of fact, Rachel was just talking to his mom last night because she is doing a part of a big back to school event tomorrow at the Republic Bank YMCA on eighteenth and Broadway where they're giving away backpacks and other school supplies and things that thousands of kids. If people are interested in that it's at the Republic Bank Foundation why tomorrow. So really, these folks, these these former local hometown athletes that still have a place for Louisville and their homes. It's really heartwarming to see them giving back. And whether they're athletes or others, we really like to support people who are giving back to their community. And so that's what's done it And in the process we have met so many wonderful people. These guys and their families are really wonderful people, and so now I think it's important to support them and to acknowledge and thank them good stuff.
Speaker 1: And I know some of them maybe didn't necessarily expect it, and again, I just think it's only going to encourage more to do what they're doing. As far as if you have a platform, you have a reach, and you can help out, you know, that can go a long way. But Craig, you've been gracious with your time. I really do appreciate it. Enjoy your weekend and we'll talk soon, my friend.
Speaker 2: All right, take care next every right weekend? Bye.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Louisville may Or Craig Greenberg. We got to get to a quick time out and get to an update for you on the roadways. We'll take a look at how the traffic is out there. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up. We'll get a look at the forecast from at Melosovich and keep it rolling along.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: It's a Friday morning on news radio. Wait forty whas all right, final segment for us here on a Friday morning. It is Kentucky and it's morning news. Coffee and company with you. We'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight here shortly, and mister Venetti is with me as well, John Shannon, and Uh, I don't know it's gonna be the same for you as it was for me, But I feel I feel like I was deprived today of Tom to just yap on this microphone because we had heavy, heavy, spot, heavy spots today, and I just hope it it's not. I guess that's good for business, right.
Speaker 3: Uh, yes, we're not. We're not gonna talk about commercials.
Speaker 1: So we're not gonna because you're the one that talks on every commercial that's on this station.
Speaker 3: No, I was gonna say the weather, it's amazing what you get used to a degrees and when it gets to be eighty We're like, this is fantastic. And I've always shocked how many events are going on on the weekend in this city. The Cuban Festival is Sunday here down at four Street Live. You have the Chicken and Beer Fest at Tom Sawyer and you have Booze on Tom Sawyer Park for the first time ever. You have the hot Rod Show going on. You have the Holy Trinity Catholic Picnic come on happening this weekend. There's always a million things going on.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, the hot Rod I get more fascinated with that event every year, and really just what that culture is mostly older gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got a demo' I love.
Speaker 1: Hearing them and I'm not making fun at anything because my step my stepdad, he's had two different hot rods that have been in the event, and you know he's he loves it. But when you hear the TV stations interview these guys that are there every year, and I mean to hear them talk about what they've put into the vehicle, how much it means to them, the passion, Like maybe it's corny, I eat that stuff up, but like you can tell this is these are their babies and it's their time to show it off in front of everybody else.
Speaker 3: Do you know how many marriages have been saved by this hobby?
Speaker 1: I had never thought about it.
Speaker 3: The man is in the garage working, she's the wife is safe. This his wife, the wife is happy. Please get a hobby. You need to get out of my face. And look, if you're gonna stay married for fifty years, you gotta have a hobby. And if you can include her, if she gets in and on it, then this is the key to happiness. Right and be part of something bigger than yourself is what I always say. But this and that community is. And so if you have to. If you're working on a sixty nine Camaro whatever, and you're working on the button seats and all that, and you're out in the garage and she's in the kitchen doing whatever. In this old fashioned kind of family, you got a hobby. You're not in each other's face, you're happy together. Those kind of things keep a marriage together. People that don't have hobbies, they don't do anything else. They're sitting there staring at each other, going what's on Netflix tonight?
Speaker 1: You need a passion project. I mean, you need something something too that you can kind of get lost in. And some people choose church.
Speaker 3: They get knee deep in church. Tony Kruz called me the other day on his way to the Liar's Club. Who's that who Tony Kruz as a guy, used to do morning. Yeah, he's good.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding. I miss you, Tony, I love you.
Speaker 3: But he has the he has the He has the coolest name for a club, the Liars Club at his church. It's a bunch of old dudes that drink coffee and eat donuts and just go they talk about man stuff. Know.
Speaker 1: Is this since retirement?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Awesome? Good for him because I I mean I knew he would find something to do, maybe drive Penny crazy, but that that's perfect for him.
Speaker 3: Yes, you gotta find something now. I won't be able to fish because I'm not I don't have the temperament to do.
Speaker 1: Your your former uh, your former partner here in radio for many years in many stations. Jennings. He's bowler like that is a big thing, right, very good bowler fishing. And honestly, I tell you what that's got People probably don't even realize it, but a lot of these men golf is their thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and that's a six hour day, you know, and you're with the guys and all that stuff. Jennings was always Jennings was more athletic than you believed, but he was always the last person picked because you look over at him with a big head, he's kind of sure it doesn't look athletic. He's always last picked. He always is one of the best players on whatever team we played on.
Speaker 1: I have I have a hard time believing that, but also I know you wouldn't make that up, because that's why I swear.
Speaker 2: I swear.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're out of time, and I'm out here for a week. I'm gonna be out on vacation, so you'll be in good hands. Tony Dwight coming your way next right here on news radio forty w BHAs