Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the nine at Jay Studios. It's time to show as a song. Here's your host, Brandon Kravitz.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Welcome to the show. We are live on ninety six to nine in the game, streaming everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You are in the zone the show to the Orlando sports fan. Your host Brandon Kravitz here, joined by my co host and producer, he is Sweet Tea Tyler Karen. Hit us up on the mills Are text line. That's five zero eight five seven. Also on the iHeartRadio talk Back. Just tap that microphone icon and let it fly. Full draft recap today for Round one in the NBA, and I've got the secret weapon his name Cowboy Karen yeeha. Also Mike Jenetty chimes in today on how Cooper Flag could be a billionaire in no time, and some college football talk with the Bulldog coming up in this hour as well. I will never complain about the draft being split up into two nights ever again.
Speaker 1: You will not allow it. I will not allow it.
Speaker 2: I think if we would have seen Round two last night, the corner would have pronounced me dead at about twelve fifteen.
Speaker 1: It was too much.
Speaker 2: I was too tired, and I almost made it to the finish line unscathed. I did not fall asleep. I did not give in to the weight of my eyelids until pick thirty two the clippers were on or not thirty two thirty thinking about the NFL draft. Pick thirty the clippers were on the clock, and I checked out.
Speaker 1: But I almost made it all the way through.
Speaker 2: Had there been around two, honestly, I would have said, I'll catch up with it in the morning. So I'm glad because I do as much of a sicko as you have to be to watch the second round. I will be watching it, Tyler will be taking notes to it, just to give you an idea of the difference between us and many of you won't care because you're normal human beings. But I am glad that it's a separate event. So officially, off of that stance, I don't know why I was so worked up about the second round being on a different night.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you didn't give the proper respect to the final pick of the first round, Yanich Conan Niderhauser out of Penn State.
Speaker 1: Baby, yeah, you say it.
Speaker 2: I almost threw.
Speaker 3: Him in with our conversation with Tyler Metcalf from No Ceilings MDA, which we will play some clips on in this segment, because he had some pretty good insight, or at least a good prediction on who the Ortlanta Magic would be looking for at pick number twenty five. Almost mentioned him, Yeah, I mentioned it on the show yesterday the classication on listening to B BK will we talked to the question is it necessary to split this up into two days? That Browny James rule from last year where he needed his own spotlight, his own day when he got his name called or when he got drafted rather, and I said, I'm happy about it because I very much do care about the second round. I think that this can be there can be a lot of gems to come out of this second round with some names that are so left on the board that didn't hear their name called last night. And I didn't want to stay up till one am last night and beyond in order to hear all of those names, and it was on full display. The draft probably starts a little bit too late. They probably spend a little bit too much time on the first round. So I'm certainly in the camp that I am happy that it is a two day event now. And I guess in the past, and this was only two years ago, when they were doing it like this, they would start the draft a little bit earlier. If you're going to fit two rounds in, then you got to start before you get to eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was the case.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I'm fine with the way that it is and I will never complain about it again. Because I was very tired and Draft put me to sleep. I slept great last night. I think the draft for that and an IPA. No matter the season that we are in on the show, NFL Draft, NBA Draft, Fantasy Football Preparations, NCAA Tournament, whatever it is, I feel like we arm you with the most accurate and relevant information of many shows that are out there. Something that has become sort of a mission for this show is that if there is a big event out there that a lot of us are going to lock in on, you will be armed with as much accurate information as possible and you will sound smarter to the people that you are in a room with later that day. And that is partially because of the research that Tyler and I do and mostly thanks to the guests that we bring on that absolutely crush it in these areas. We have strengths, we have weaknesses. As a show, I am touting what I believe to be one of the strengths of this show is identifying who in the media covers the events that we care about his sports fans the best. And yesterday we had Tyler Metcalfan from No Ceilings NBA. They absolutely crush it when it comes to NBA draft coverage, and he nailed this pick for the Magic. If it's not Clayton, can you give the Magic fans that are listening a player that they should be doing backflips over if they're available at twenty five?
Speaker 1: I think Drake.
Speaker 4: Richardson makes a lot of sense. He is really small, but he's a former NBA pro Jason Richardson's son, a really high level shooter, really smart player, creative passer. He just kind of played a shooting guard role for Michigan State this year because that's what was asked of him, and he was the best shooter of the guards, so he kind of got relegated into that more shooting guard. But he is a lot more passing upside and playing off of Bronze and Polo and des in Vain. I think he'll give he would give the Magic a ton of spacing and versatility and just overall IQ at that kind of pseudo point guard spot where he's not necessarily having to create everything and run the offense, but he can play also in that off ball role.
Speaker 1: Rondo, applause, take a bow.
Speaker 2: My friend Tyler Metcalf absolutely nailed it, and I love the pick too. He was on the My guy list. A lot to like about Jace Richardson. This was my pre draft breakdown for Jace, son of Jason Richardson, also one of my guys when he was in the NBA. So he falls off the right tree for me. He's an exciting player. He's young, he's nineteen years old. Statistically he's actually a better three point shooter than Walter Clayton, who a lot of us wanted.
Speaker 1: But he is small. He's six to one.
Speaker 2: This is not a guy that you're going to be able to rely on defensively, and that road here. I think he's going to have to land on a team where he's insulated in that regard, but he can absolutely fill it up on offense and he can fill it up efficiently too. He's not just a volume Hount and the Magic are perfect fit as far as just get this guy onto a team where he doesn't have to he can kind of hide defensively and for as long as you're able to do that in the NBA a little bit tougher in the postseason than it is in the regular season, but he's insulated. The Magic have one of the best defenses in the NBA, and he can go out there and just be a three point shooter. Maybe in the future develop into a point guard, but we won't put the cart before the horse. I wanted Walter Clayton along with everybody else. I then sold myself hard yesterday on Casparis from Illinois, and of course the heat of all the teams that are out there took him. And then as the draft was unfolding and we see the guys that are coming off of the board, I was divided between Jace Richardson and Liam McNeely. Those were the two guys at twenty five. I said, Okay, with everybody that's off the board, let's get one of those two players. And honestly, I would have loved if they had drafted Liam McNeely. I think he's going to be a really good NBA player. But I think they made the right place given what the Magic had to attack. In this draft. We have been asking for knockdown three point shooting. Forget about defense, forget about long term upside. Just draft a human bucket getter that also can shoot with range, and Jase has that in spades. So I love the pick. I think he can contribute rather quickly. I don't know if he'll get that opportunity, but I think he's got the ability. To your thoughts on how it all broke down the pick and Jace Richardson.
Speaker 3: I'll start with the positive because I think there are negatives with the fake Jase Richardson. He was not a Tie guy yesterday, and he also was not one of the guys of please do not.
Speaker 1: Draft on my board.
Speaker 3: He makes a lot of sense for the Magic, and with how the draft fell, I didn't think he was going to be available. I think Castros yakachonas falling to twenty to the Miami heat, I think was a big reason why the Magic ultimately ended up with Jace Richardson. I think Miami would and very interested in that fit.
Speaker 1: As well.
Speaker 3: He has a good three point shooting percentage. He was a forty one percent shooter last year at Michigan State. He is a defensive pest. He is a great on ball defender against college point guards, and his loan season with Spardi, he showed great adaptability. He only started in fifteen to thirty six. He did not start the season in the starting rotation last year, and he was able to work his way in show his value and show that listen, I can be what you need me to be.
Speaker 1: I can be an on ball creator.
Speaker 3: I think that's what He came into college with the idea that he was going to be with his six to two frame, but he needed to be more of a spot up shooter. And when comparing him to a guy like Walter Clayton, Jace Richardson is the better spot up shooter at least analytics will say than what Walter Clayton is. So he's shown a lot of promising signs, the three point shooting, the defensive identity. He certainly was someone that fits this magic build of some of the priorities that they were looking for in with this pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: So you don't think he's a defensive liability, because if.
Speaker 3: He's guarding a Jalen Brunton sized guard, he's going to do just fine against Tyas Jones. He's going to do just fine against Jordan Poole even an explosive score. But when you face some of the bigger teams around the league and moments and Jace Richardson is not a guy, Okay, starting two guard right there, we need you right now. You know, hopefully Jace Richardson does not have to start a single game for the Orlando Magic this season, and it's not a knock to him, but if that case does come down, where he is on the court and you do, you are going up against a bigger team a Boston Celtics from last year, where you have two big guards along with two ball handling forwards and Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown. You face those type of teams, that's where he can get isolated fairly quickly. He still has great foot speed, he has great hands. He's a pest, but you can't you can't hide the size and it certainly will be exploited. But if when he is matched up against six four and under point guards, he's a great asset to have for this team.
Speaker 2: If you're good enough offensively, you can get by, as long as you're not completely lost. If you're just in position, sometimes that's good enough. The Pacers certainly don't rely on TJ. McConnell's defense, and that's a smaller guard coming off of the bench. If that is what Jace Richardson develops into and he's a better three point shooter, sign me all the way up for that. When the draft was unfolding, did you kind of get the feeling like that was going to be the pick or I would have been very interested to see if they had drafted Nick Clifford out of Colorado State, because he's the kind of player the Magic really like. But he's also so similar to me, to Tristan, to Silva. It's like, would it be redundant if you if you took him? But he was taking one spot head with Oklahoma City. I was so intrigued when the Magic were on the clock because I'm sitting there looking at my notes, going, there's like six players I want right now at pick twenty five in the NBA Draft. That's how deep and exciting this draft class was. You have the twenty fifth pick and I'm sitting there with the my guys list that we talked about yesterday on the air, I tweeted that out.
Speaker 1: I was looking at it.
Speaker 2: Five of the six names were still available at twenty five, so there were so many different directions this team could have gone.
Speaker 1: I would have felt pretty good about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt at that point with how the draft is falling, because you know that varies what selection that you end up with. And I already mentioned I was of the belief that Jace Richardson was going to be off of the board. With Utah showing interest and Walter Clayton junior, how was that going to play out. I didn't predict that Yakachonas would fall all the way to twenty to the Miami Heat. Nolan Trey are going nineteen, I think was a bit surprising. I think I was under the impression that Brooklyn could have gotten him with one of their later picks. So when the Magic went on the clock, it seemed pretty set that with the trade to bring in Desmond Bane this offseason and kind of you know, he's a two guard, but he's also a great wing defender, great wing player. I didn't think that dropping in neck Clifford was taking the selection before, but a guy like that, it seemed that wasn't going to be the direction that the Magic would go, or a Leam McNeely. Will Riley went a couple of picks before the Magic selection. So when they were on the clock, I felt fairly confident that it was going to be Jace Richardson. And again it was a guy that he wasn't one of my guys. He wasn't not one of my guys. I didn't expect him to be there. He probably was the best available player. We're talking about a guy that was top fifteen on a lot of big boards and in a lot of mock drafts over the last couple of months.
Speaker 1: He has and a lottery pick.
Speaker 3: So when you have the opportunity to get a prospect like that at twenty four that fits a lot of the needs for your team on paper, it's kind of a something too good to look past. But I do think that it does bring some negatives bringing in a guy like Jace Richardson.
Speaker 2: Well, he's good enough for Tom Izzo, he's good enough for me. Because this is a guy he had to earn his way into that starting lineup and we'll play the clip for you later. Jeff Welman got a text last night from tom Izzo that said, this is a really smart player. All he cares about is winning, and he's about things that a lot of kids at his age are not about. And you know tom Izzo isn't just saying that. He's about as honest and grumpy as they come. And iso we trust might be.
Speaker 1: Can't never forget it.
Speaker 2: It was one of the things I liked about him is like, he's a Michigan State player.
Speaker 1: He's a Michigan State player. He shoots the three well. I love lefties. I feel like lefties.
Speaker 2: A good lefty shooter is very difficult to defend because defensive players they're so used to stopping guys from going right. And Jace Richardson being a crafty lefty. I was watching some of his highlights too. His ability to finish around the rim around big guys, I think is one of maybe the underrated qualities of his game. He's a very creative finisher, and he's one of those guys at six to one, he doesn't care that he's smaller than most of the guys he's going up against in the court.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to do just fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got a big heart, and it's part of the reason why he fits so well with this magic identity. Even in the shift and direction of kind of the process and building up to win now mode, he has the right mindset and in the right hard over height mentality. To him, he is fearless when it comes to attacking the whole. At times, I'm a bit concerned of his willingness and his confidence transitioning into the NBA and with looking at the three point shooting, because percentage wise, he was a better shooter than a lot of the guys in this draft. He knocked down forty one percent of his deep balls at Michigan State last year.
Speaker 1: On average, it was on three attempts at night.
Speaker 3: And I already mentioned he only started in fifteen to thirty six games for Michigan State, and a lot of them were the final games he worked his way into the starting rotation. In his volume, his minutes, everything went up in the second half of the season, but it's not to the point of you're getting a guy who is a knockdown shooter a sure thing. Here's one of the things about Walter Clayton comparing a Walter Clayton to a Jase Richardson. Is I think Jase Richardson has the upside to be the better NBA player down the line. But with this magic shift, the trade of giving up your future aspects of assets and draft picks to bring in Desmond Bane. Are you looking for the guy who is going to be the best player in four years or the best player in eight years. That's where a guy like Walter Clayton high volume the ball in his hands a lot. He has shown you what he is able to do. He's less of a ball of clay, less to mold there. He's more of a finished product. You're more sure of what you're getting with him. Guy like that is better for you over the next four years. Whereas Jace Richardson I think has the up to upside to put the tools together, get his feet wet in the NBA and be a better long term NBA player. But does he help you in four years? Is there room on the roster for him to help you in four years? Is he going to be developed long enough. He'll be turning twenty years old in this NBA season. Is he going to be able to contribute in this three to four year timeline where we see it very likely that the Magic can win an NBA championship. Those are some of the questions that I have about Jace richards Well.
Speaker 2: It sound like they had that choice. They didn't get a chance to draft Walter Kleyton Junior. Would have been very curious to see because I'm of the belief that they were really sold on Richardson, and Jeff Weltman said this kind of GM talk saying well, we would have taken him at sixteen. Don't know if that's true or not, but it would have been interesting to see those too lined up because they do provide a very obvious need for the Magic. But, like Tyler said, in different timelines, is your AC system ready for that summer heat.