Speaker 1: Katie is my favorite person in the whole world. Got a doubt. I spent all the time with her, and even if like she was at work, that's normal.
Speaker 2: And if I was at home not without her, I want I I missed her even in those times.
Speaker 1: You know, I always wanted her to be around. She was funny, She's smart.
Speaker 2: She always I always tell people. I'm like, you know, I have random facts I like tell people, but I always learned them from her. She has something new to teach me every day.
Speaker 1: And that was one of my favorite things about her.
Speaker 2: She's so smart, like and I always told her she could have done anything in the whole world that she wanted to do. She could have been anything, but she hated at school, so she didn't take that path.
Speaker 1: But you know, she was charismatic.
Speaker 2: Even if she didn't like to be around everybody all the time. She was mary to herself by the time. She liked alone time. So's she was a really good person. She never did anything bad to anybody.
Speaker 1: You know, she.
Speaker 2: Was really sarcastic, maybe had a little bit of dark humor, but I like that about her.
Speaker 3: That was Emma Clark, the partner wife of Katie, Janie and she was sharing some of her favorite things about Katie. That interview was done Atlanta News First a few years ago, the CBS affiliate here in Atlanta. Emma sat down and did a whole long interview with them the next day the next day to talk about who Katie was as a person and also just I mean, gosh, I can't even imagine the shock that she was experiencing in that moment.
Speaker 4: She made Katie so relatable, like she sounds like a really cool woman who would have been such a I don't know one of us. Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love the whole like that she loved to share random facts like that's something that I too. Yeah, totally. I'm like, oh, which you know, yeah, but yeah, I think you know, part of the bigger picture here is that Katie was a human being with a lot of people in her life that really loved her. And we also understand that her family and friends are very private, and that's absolutely understandable. Not everybody wants to get on and talk with the media, and I know it's also it can be a little scary sometimes to talk to the media because you don't.
Speaker 4: Know how they're going to twist it, right, you know, all.
Speaker 3: Those things, and or you might say something with a certain inflection that you you intended to be you know, lighthearted, and then it's viewed as something that seems kind of sinister.
Speaker 4: So no, I do notice that so many times and crimes where they'll analyze how somebody's grieving or how somebody's like standing after a crime, and it's like, oh, they must be guilty or I can see where that would be so intimidating. Yeah, and you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't know how you're going to react in these situations, right, And I think so often after some anytime you lose someone, you're just kind of going through the motions. After all, you're not really thinking clearly, and maybe it's something in hindsight where you know, months down the road, Emmon was like, God, how did I do that interview?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you don't.
Speaker 3: She's not thinking, no, it's doing what's being asked. And on top of that, I mean, the media is an excellent source for being able to share your story.
Speaker 4: Especially she was doing a kindness, which is to this is the name flashes all over the TV and it's the spectacular murder that everybody's glued to the TV of, Like whoa you forget about the human life that's behind it. And I think that's what she was very eloquent at showing, is the human life that was behind this sensational news story.
Speaker 3: Right, and that's just it. Like you know, sometimes well you'll get like the longer form of the story on dateline or twenty twenty, and it's like so often it's like, oh, they just lit up the room. Yeah you know, yeah, and it's like, okay, but who were they?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know, Katie was a bartender. She's a musician, wrote poetry, wrote poetry like a very it sounds like an introspective person. Yeah, private, you know, a little quiet, but you know it. It also tells me that she liked people to be a bartender.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to. You have to write like it's one.
Speaker 3: Of the you know, I've only really bartended once, but it was so much fun to like you've just got all these different people coming up that you would never interact with, right, and they're all excited and happy, and it's like, you know, contagious.
Speaker 4: I agree. I also think like I have a dog. I walk my dog a lot, I have neighbors that walk the dog. But like when I think about like people who even take the time to get home and go walk their dog that late at night, and or making sure the dog gets a walk, Like there's already a kindness to you that's solid, absolutely, like you're not so lazy that you're just skipping the dog walk. I mean to me, that's I don't know. I love someone who loves their animals. I think that says a shit ton about people.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah, if you're compassionate for animals, like you're a good human, right. And that's one thing that we've also heard a lot from people with this story, is just the sadness for Bowie. Yeah, you know, like that's a that's such a loss and something happened not only to my partner but also to my dog, my comfort.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's true.
Speaker 3: Gosh, Like I can't imagine the longing that Emma had of like the.
Speaker 4: Loss of the quiet and of the dog.
Speaker 3: And yeah, to be coming home without your partner and also without your dog, it's so true.
Speaker 4: And I think as we play more clips of the interview, I also got a sense that they were deeply in love and committed. Of course, when someone dies you don't see that, you know, everybody's glorifying everything. But my sense is they had a very solid, quiet, happy relationship that felt true. You never heard after this murder where we knew people in those circles at that time. I wasn't out in Midtown all the time, but I was some I never heard. You know how there's some relationships that are just especially lesbians, that are just loaded with drama. Yeah, I never heard that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there never was nothing like well they were back and forth.
Speaker 4: There was none of that. It was like they met, fell in love and built a life together. Yeah, which that is our community at its finest, working in Midtown, building a life together.
Speaker 3: I just it's tragic and really, I mean, like living the dream, you know, it's it's one of those things too, where like Emma said, you know, Katie's a brilliant person, she's so smart, but she hated school.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so relatable because I'm like, you know, there's so many things I want to do, but yeah, I don't want to go back to school, you know. But in the meantime, you know, she's living this life that's kind of simple but also happy and easy. I would think, you know, when you don't have all those stresses of like some big corporate job or something like that. Right, Like there's kind of like a relaxing feeling to that kind of life.
Speaker 4: P Yeah, they were fulfilled enough with each other and yeah, I think that's true. Let's play another club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we actually met a g in Midtown. She was a barchingder there and I used to go there all the time when I first moved to Atlanta because I didn't have any friends, and my brother worked there, and.
Speaker 1: So that's how we met.
Speaker 2: And she always worked the day that I would go up there most of the time. And one day we were both just having drinks together and she said, hey, she knew how to get me. She was like, you want to come meet my dog? And I was like, I do, want to come meet your dog. So we went to our house and like hung out with her and her dog. That was pretty much the beginning of everything. Oh, that was a long time ago, probably eight years ago, almost seven. Officially, we celebrated our six year last month.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they were together for six years. And as Emma said, they met at a bar that's now since closed called Gee's Midtown and it's right there at that tenth in Piedmont area. Okay, And it sounds like they could and I got to know each other a little bit over over some time with Katie was working at that particular bar and the old cruise by and eventually, yeah, Katie cast of the line there, so I get Yeah, it's I like that too, of like, you know, it wasn't like a dating app situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's back when we met in the WHI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they they and we're getting to know each other on like a friend level first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that too, And that they met in the community where they eventually got a place together and lived with their two dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was actually how Emma kind of our Katie realed Emma in was to say, do you want to come meet my dog?
Speaker 4: Do you know if someone did that to me once?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, once I got there, I was like, oh god, what am I doing?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 4: Is that out of here?
Speaker 3: The whole like, do you want to come inside for a drink?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what you do with lesbians, You say, do you want to meet my dog?
Speaker 1: My dog?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And I probably do Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Emma's dad, Joe Clark, also sat down with Atlanta News First to talk about Katie, Well.
Speaker 5: The one thing that stands out so much for me and the relationship, and we're extremely close, and Katie made Emma happy. They had a good life together. They've they've they've started with nothing, they built on that. They lost their first home in a house fower and they had to move to where they live now. But they were so resilient through that process. And Katie, like she said, was she was so intelligent. I loved conversation with her because there's several subjects that her and I could talk about and she always knew the answer, which was awesome. But the way it is affecting Emma through this, I always knew that Emma was safe with Katie and she protected her. She was They had such a great relationship that when for a parent, if you don't have to worry about your children all the time, which most do, but I knew as long as they were together, I didn't have to worry about Emma. And Katie feeled that part, just as any life partner does. Is someone who she cared so much about Emma. She made sure that Emma was okay, and Emma did the same thing for her.
Speaker 3: What he says there about just feeling like his daughter was safe with Jimmy.
Speaker 4: I feel like that with adult kids now. I know that exact feeling. When your child has somebody that there, you feel a sense of like if they're out on a Saturday night, I know this person has them. With my kids, it's more friendships at this age, but even so, I know that or somebody that you know they can confide in if shit's hard, like their best person there. I relate to that so hard. Yeah, want that so deeply for your kids.
Speaker 3: And like, that's something my parents have expressed to me. Yeah, they feel better when they know that I'm like with someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think they even feel better when they know that I'm up here and I'm staying at your place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know it's a safety and so.
Speaker 3: And you can just tell the sincerity there that Joe really cared about Katie, Yeah, and was happy for them as a couple and.
Speaker 4: Brooding for them. That Katie's family was still in Michigan. Is that correct? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I believe Katie's mom and sister still live in Michigan. I know that they. You know, they're very private, quiet. People believe they sent a letter just expressing how terrible the loss was yeah, so that you know, again, I totally understand that some people just don't feel comfortable getting on camera and talking and sharing their feelings. And also, I mean, gosh, I can't even imagine if I if I lost my child to get on TV and talk. I don't even think I could.
Speaker 4: I don't think I could. But I do think I have a rage in me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where I would.
Speaker 4: Be so angry that it would have to go somewhere. I admire people that can don't have that. Like I think my anger would would have me out in front of that police department screaming yeah, like a like a crazy person, especially if I sensed you know, like even when we heard that police officer talking to the news say, I know it's frustrating for you that we haven't found anyone or told you anything. And then there were rumors that we don't know if it's true, but that there was male DNA found that the scene. That's not confirmed. Maybe we can look into that and see if that actually did get confirmed. But to me, that again would have been public good public information, because then it could have people thinking about a man, not thinking about a woman. Yeah, when they're thinking about who saw at the park, which this is something you and I have talked about, which is that somebody saw something like it doesn't mean that you thought they were bad. I saw somebody yet people yesterday all day. I'm sure if there was a crime at the festival, I would start going through my mind of weird things I saw, and then there's you know, your brain starts to kind of remember things. Probably nothing, but it could be something. So I think that it is frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or even just like you know the fact of we were taking videos yesterday, I went into the gas station and there was these two guys. They were shooting something like I think TikTok or something. I talked to them real briefly, and you know, they could have caught something on cameras. So it goes like, you know, people have You're always taking pictures and videos and stuff, and it's like, were you in the park on that night, that day the next day, did you take some pictures? Like look closer at it.
Speaker 4: I feel fairly confident at any given time, and this is something that we should look into. But that park being where it is, being a cut through, it's one hundred and eighty nine acres. I bet at any given time in that park there are more than one hundred people. Oh yeah, it's like, I don't You're right, like out of all those people, did they look and truly unhoused people have cell phones?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very true.
Speaker 4: So it's not like that, you know, it's like you're not going to get any information. There's plenty of information, probably a wealth of information because they know that park backwards and forwards. They know who belongs there who doesn't.
Speaker 3: And in twenty twenty one, we were still kind of in the COVID era. A lot of people were still hanging out in the park as their activity today, you know, it's a socild thing. Yeah, because it was outside, it felt a little safer, you know, not being an enclosed space. And it's like, I feel like the park was very very active. Yeah, you know, I would agree, even though it was hot in July or whatever. But that also says too, like with the heat of you know, a lot more people are probably out later at night for sure during that time, or early in the morning when it's cooler.
Speaker 4: Melissa and I have a friend who is a was an Atlanta police officer who's now retired, who we consulted with just some general questions, and one thing that she did say very clearly is she's like, they are there's a cold case department that continues to work these cases until they're solved. She said. But she said, if people aren't screaming and putting pressure after a certain point, less happens on that case, Like the squeaky wheel gets the oil, is basically what she said. Yeah, So, like she talked about a case where there was nine rapes that happened by the same person. They could tell it was the same person in and around Atlanta, and that nobody was really doing anything. She ended up getting the case and basically it got solved very quickly. She's like, because the department got pressured, they brought more people in to look into it, and it was solved in thirty six hours. Yeah. So it's just like these cases need effort, they need people, they need attention, they need That is the difference between a solved crime and an unsolved crime. And so when a case is cold or going cold, or they run out of leads, if you don't have somebody screaming to get this done, it's less likely to get done because there's fifty of them waiting, and.
Speaker 3: We don't know what could be happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: For all we know, Katie's mom calls the police department every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, twice a day.
Speaker 3: Who knows. Another good point to drive home is that sometimes they are they're like Vince said, you know, they are working on it. Yeah, it's just a they're working on it in a quiet way, and they're working on holding some of those that information, you know, close to the vest.
Speaker 4: True and maybe truly it's like it doesn't it shouldn't fall on Katie's.
Speaker 3: Mom or they need to be agreed effer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like who I feel like truly it should fall on is the gay can be unity? Yeah? The public? The public? This is our park. Yeah, Like where are we should be screaming? We should be saying what happened? And yes, there are lots of murders that happen all the time, You're right, But there's not murders like that, like that happened all the time at Peopon Park.
Speaker 3: It's so much different.
Speaker 4: It's totally different. This isn't a shooting at the gas station exactly.
Speaker 3: It's not something where someone got in a fight and suddenly pulled a gun and you know, heat of the moment kind of thing lost the cool right this, I don't know, it's it sounds planned, it sounds calculated, it sounds psychotic.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's at our community park in a gruesome way to the gay community. So to me, it's like, I don't even fault her family. I'm saying, where is the public where?
Speaker 3: But also it's like, we don't know if it was a hate crime. Yeah, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. That's one of our people.
Speaker 4: It's one of our people.
Speaker 3: And like I don't I don't care what the reason was. I don't care if it was because.
Speaker 2: Of a woman.
Speaker 3: She was a woman. I don't care if the skits she's gay. She's one of us.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: You know, I just want to reiterate to Atlanta Crime Stoppers you can report anonymous, anonymously, any tips anything, like we said, just if you were anywhere around that park, even like two three days before or after, and you saw something weird.
Speaker 4: And you have something in your mind. I even think like sometimes after a crime like that and I remember this, where there was like speculation or people would be like well, there was this thing that happened, Like you're you're even if you're speculating that you thought you saw something. Again, it's like if last night the party, Like I can remember two people that I thought were kind of weird last night. I watched them. I kept an eye on them, and we were in a fully lit, very public place. But I'll tell you later who it was. But I remember, yeah, I did, And so if something would have gone down, I would have remembered that. I even noted, like in my had what he was wearing and what like some details. Yeah, because I just thought it's like noteworthy to me and weird, but not a big deal. Nothing happened, there was nothing done. But had the next day there been something, I would have shown up. I've been like, this guy was there, and this is the thing I saw. So I don't know. I guess I just feel like somebody saw something, even if they don't think it's relevant.
Speaker 3: Every someone saw something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't come out of thin air and show up in the park.
Speaker 3: It's not the Boogeyman.
Speaker 4: It's not the Boogeyman. He walked in and.
Speaker 3: Entry me or she. Someone carried this out exactly. And I don't know they're among us. Yeah, and it's terrifying really when you sit and think about it. There's also the aspect, and we're hoping to have some more people on that can kind of speak to what Midtown was like at that time. I mean, I know it was only five years ago, but there to me, there's I've always been cautious about going into the park when it was dark after dark, especially alone. Like we've said, it's a cut through, but it also did feel safe still, But now there's no way I'm walking through that park alone. I know.
Speaker 4: I know it changed the fabric of the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for a while, I carried pepper spray with me going back and forth between my condo there, and yeah, it's scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is scary. It's a different animal. Now. I'd be curious and I'm going to look this up of what the moon was like. There were definitely lights in the park, Like when we watched the news people go back the next day and film that time, it looked pretty well lit in that corner of the park to me, Yeah, but I wonder what the moon was like at that time. July Tell with twenty twenty one, because if there's a full moon. It's light, it's true, you know.
Speaker 3: So there's also a lot of trees in there, though there are a lot of trees, so it could have been kind of shaded and hidden. And also there was something that Emma had said about you know, she noticed Bowie first because it was better lit where Bowie was okay, darker where Katie.
Speaker 4: Was okay, which says that what kind of what Vince said, which is the dog probably ran, you know, yeah, protected and injured and yeah, yeah, so sad it really is. And the dog like dogs are my ye witness. It's just good the word if you're capable of that. M all right, well let's pick up another part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wasn't really extroverted, but everybody knew her, like she knew a ton of people. But she's worked in Midtown and lived here for like, lived there for eleven twelve years, I think, so she knew a lot of people. And honestly, Katie probably wouldn't care uh well people said, or she probably wouldn't want the attention. She didn't like attention. She was from the north, so she always thought Southern people were like over extra friendly, and she thought it was really weird when she first moved her, she got a little more used to it. She still would be like, you know, I HADNDS good enough for her if somebody wanted to acknowledge her on the street or something, you know, but so honestly, she probably wouldn't care too much. She I know that she knew people cared about her, and she had a lot of.
Speaker 1: Friends, and.
Speaker 2: Those people I know they'll remember her fondly because she never gave anybody a reason not to. You know, she was never hurtfull or did anything to make anybody think less of her.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's kind of the sense that we already heard about Katie just being kind of introverted, you know, didn't really like the attention. And I think that is one of the hard things with like kind of doing this case as being like, well, gosh, this person doesn't want attention. But yeah, she didn't choose to lead this earth this way.
Speaker 4: No. I noticed that too, where there's not like I think about like you and I and we don't you know, we're not attention seeking. But it's like you could find a lot of pictures of me. I noticed that it's always the same two or three pictures of Katie, and I wondered if that's because, I mean, some people's private. Yeah, they don't.
Speaker 3: Like to have their picture taken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: I had a relative pass away a few years ago didn't want a funeral. She had made that very well known, and it was kind of hard. Like on the family, it's like what we want to, you know, remember and do all the things, but we had to dis respect those wishes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. So I think even if you're introverted, like when they were like, oh she was introverted, I think I am. I can go out and do last night, I can talk to anybody. I'm not shy at all. But I think I'm introverted. Like I relate.
Speaker 3: I feel that way too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get my energy from my downtime and my quiet time. I can have quiet time with somebody, but I don't need to be at every social event. I don't want to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I also think there's a difference between between being an introverted extrovert. You know, like we we have the ability to go out and do the things and have the loud conversations and talk to strangers. You know, some people it's just like they don't want to yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I read that it is where you derive your energy. Do you derive your energy from a dinner out with six people or do you derive your energy from reading a book at home?
Speaker 3: I would say it's both for me, Yeah, you know, like I need both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe not opening a book, but you can listen to a book.
Speaker 3: Listening to a book, yes, But yeah, I do appreciate that Emma did take the time to go and and talk with the media. I know that she's, from what I've gathered, expressed that she really doesn't want to share more about this case.
Speaker 4: It's highly upsetting and reliving this trauma for her. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I said, the interview that we're pulling from is you know, a good few years old. But I think it does offer a glimpse into who Katie was and.
Speaker 4: A snapshot also of exactly you know, it was right after so those feelings were so fresh. But again, like sometimes, I do think it doesn't fall in the family to scream people please look at this. Yeah, I think it's we are gay women living in the city just like she was. We use that park just like she did, we have dogs, we are her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in any of it, it could.
Speaker 4: Have been any of us. So I think I would love to hear the gay community make some noise on solving this crime. Absolutely all right, thanks for listening. I guess sources for this episode could be found in our show notes and just a reminder, these are opinions and speculations surrounding this case and in no way an assumption or accusation of guilt towards any specific person.