Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it when coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning. This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles, where I won't be treating you to that harmony this time.
Speaker 3: I know, Ali just like harmonized and everything.
Speaker 2: And now we got to start over because she said, my face looked like I had a sunburn.
Speaker 1: Look like you had an intense, intense sunburn.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Maybe I do, you know, Maybe it's you.
Speaker 1: Know, preparation a lot. Like I remember once that I had these bumps on my face and I went to the dermatologist like a hundred times about it. But when people have a red face, I think immediately they have an alcohol problem. Very sensitive because like it makes your face red. And I had that issue for a minute, and I'm like, people are gonna think I, like have a drinking problem.
Speaker 2: I don't associate that with a drinking problem, because there's a million reasons why your skin could be like red or like puffy or whatever. Some people do have like a histamine reaction to alcohol.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not having that, No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I think you're just getting on a Thursday. I'm not.
Speaker 1: Now. I think you're kidding. I think you're just getting blurry sunlight face.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't know if it's better.
Speaker 1: That's better now.
Speaker 3: The lighting in here is not good.
Speaker 2: I have a little like quote studio in my bedroom, but my WiFi sucks so bad.
Speaker 3: I need to get one of those extenders.
Speaker 1: I do too, but I don't. I tried, I couldn't set it up, and finally I'm like, fuck it, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, dude, that's like everything that I order. I'm like, oh, this is too hard.
Speaker 1: It's too hard. But see, I literally I chatch youpy t the easiest extender. Because what's happening for me is my joy. I have these things. I have what I call joy nuggets. I'm sure I've told you about this. These are like tiny nugget joy nuggets. It's like my coffee. A tap room is a joy that I'm just not giving up. This my fridge cigarette. This is a joy nugget for me. I don't I'm not drinking enough of them for it to be a huge problem, But I like it. I want to do it. Being in my bedroom watching TV is like such a joy to me. And now it's buffering up there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, But I would think of an extender. Isn't that hard to do?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You just buy the little thing?
Speaker 1: I thought you just plug it in, but you know, there's like a whole add it to the network hard wire at first, then you move it. It's like a thing really and hard wire. I mean like you have to plug in the ethernet and then like then you move it and then you add it. You have a new app on your I mean it felt like there were a lot of steps to it.
Speaker 3: A new app on my phone? Oh yeah, lost me. I swear to god.
Speaker 2: It's like if I have to download another app, I'm gonna throw my phone off the window.
Speaker 1: But if it's buffering in my bedroom, what does that mean I need an extender? Right?
Speaker 2: I would think so, But I don't. I don't know why it doesn't work in my bedroom upstairs. My Wi Fi things down here in my living room works fine. Down here works for my kids in their bedrooms, but whenever I'm in there and I've tried to record with you in there, and it like gets all jumpy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, maybe that's gonna be something you learn how to do and then come over here and help me.
Speaker 2: Perhaps maybe you're slightly more handy than me a little bit.
Speaker 3: I know, it's funny. People will be like, oh my god, you're handy.
Speaker 2: I'm like barely and I have worked very hard to fight with my ADHD to become handy.
Speaker 1: I think you also are techie like I. When you were doing the microphones for our camera, I was like.
Speaker 3: Hmm yeah, tech background, little tech wizard, a.
Speaker 1: Little tech quizzer. I mean it was complicated with our camera that we've used twice.
Speaker 3: It was, I know, and we still didn't get it right. But we still didn't get it right. You know, we're getting there. I got getting are you.
Speaker 1: That's impressive? That kind of is giving laptop on the airplane vibes.
Speaker 3: Right, I would look very cool on an airplane right.
Speaker 1: Now, you're just like flashing it around. I have a microphone.
Speaker 3: I have a microphone. Everyone listen to me, be calm.
Speaker 1: Well, what are we talking about today.
Speaker 2: We are talking about how dating seems to be getting harder and like, I guess myths around dating right Like now I am seeing someone right now, so I'm not in the dating mix.
Speaker 3: But from what I hear.
Speaker 1: People that are dating, even though you're dating someone, you're you hear of it.
Speaker 2: I hear it, and yeah, I constantly, I mean it's constantly on TikTok of how do I meet people?
Speaker 3: And it's one of the reasons why.
Speaker 2: We started doing the Pitch a Friend thing because we just feel like, you know, it's another avenue for people to try to meet their match. But one of the things that we're talking about that's really interesting is to hear people say like I'm dating, and it's like, what does that mean? Does that mean that you're dating like multiple people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm open to dating. This is I pose this to Melissa, and I want you guys to think about this too. Do you have one friend, one friend, single friend that is dating around, like going on dates in the way that like.
Speaker 3: My talking to different people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like dating dating, this is what dating is. It's what I did in college, It's what I did after college. Yeah, do you have one friend you know that does that. I do not have one friend, not that I know of. Ever, in all the years that I've been out, I've never met a woman that said, yeah, i'm dating around, I'm seeing this woman. Never once.
Speaker 3: I know people straight people that do that.
Speaker 1: Same my kids do it, both of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know any lesbians that do that.
Speaker 1: So someone posted, and I reposted, She's like, what is happening with dating? And like, if you think about how long you've been out, probably a couple times, but like, and you've dated more than me. Like I seem to be in long term relationships and then I'm single and then I'm in another long term relationship. But I can think in a handful of times, how many times somebody has reached out to me and said, I would like to take you on a date. Here's the plan, let's go on a date. Like I don't that doesn't happen very often. It's more, hey, we're going to be here Saturday, I hope you'll come, or like you said, you get the group text that's like, you know they're kind of interested in you, but they're throwing you in a.
Speaker 2: Mix of people, right, yeah, Like, are you going to be at this event, that kind of.
Speaker 1: Thing, Yes, are you going to be at this event? Or I'm always like no, let know, you have to.
Speaker 3: Come to my house.
Speaker 1: You've got to come to my house, and please don't come in, but be outside on the porch. I'll get to know you and then we'll see where things go.
Speaker 2: That's your first date is hanging out on your porch. You don't have to go anywhere. I think one of the things is though, like we're also like apprehensive and scared to date. You know, like there's a fear around one like telling someone that you're into them or implicating that or implying that, not implicating that you're interested, because it's almost like okay, but what if they're not interested and then they're like laughing at me, you know, like calling up their friends.
Speaker 3: You won't believe who me?
Speaker 1: I know, but is that like think about the women that you'd be asking out. I can't even like when I think about the if anyone does that, good fucking ridden never like I don't care who you are if you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not. I would never laugh someone in that case.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure this is my own internalized version of what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also It's like.
Speaker 2: I feel like once it's initiated that you guys, like two people are like, yeah, let's date, let's figure this out. It's kind of like you're both zeroing in on each other. And I feel like, more often than not, when it suddenly comes like let's say you hang out with someone five times, yeah, and then you do find out that this other person is talking to someone else too, it feels a bit like a betrayal already, you know, even though you're not committed. It's kind of like, well, wait a second, like you've got another iron in the fire here, and like I thought something else was happening, and they've got someone else too. It just kind of like knocks things off kilter.
Speaker 1: I can see that. But it's like, to me, it's such an important decision to spend time with someone or give somebody a lot of time over a series of weeks, months, years, that it's like to me, I see why people should be dating. They should go out on a few dates and like simultaneou like if you go out, you know, one Saturday night, and then you find yourself really wanting to hang out with that person that you just met, and then you meet someone else and you're like, yeah, just reinforced that I had more fun or I felt more myself with the person a I don't know. Like to me, it's good data to collect before you say, okay, you're my person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're also not doing like lesbians are not good at pacing a relationship, you know, like that's the infamous U haul situation, Like we're not good at not you know, diving in entirely, Like it's it's zero to sixty. And the thing is, it's like, okay, but what if you did date a little bit like you used to back in college dating guys where it was like, let's say the scenario that kind of played out in my life was meet a guy on a Thursday night, you know, maybe he asked you out for that weekend and you go out that Saturday, not hearing from them again. Like they're not calling you every day, people barely texting back.
Speaker 1: Five thousand times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you're not texting a million times.
Speaker 2: Maybe they call you on like Wednesday and ask if you're free for that Friday night, like you're not in constant contact.
Speaker 3: Now, I know things have changed.
Speaker 2: This I'm referring back to, you know, twenty five years ago, but like it's paced and.
Speaker 1: You're past and you have time to build anticipation right before everything. Yeah, I think it can develop more naturally that way, but I don't. I mean, this is where we are now. I did want to say that the pitch our pitch in Chicago. She sent me a photo of her and the woman she.
Speaker 2: Met already already that's awesome and who knows, maybe they're friends, maybe they'll see each other a million times.
Speaker 1: Maybe who knows what will happen. But she's like, hey, just want to say thanks.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 1: I met this cool woman and we're hanging out.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Again, no idea if it's a relationship, a friendship, no clue. But they looked precious together and they were having a blast, and I thought, that is what the pitch is for. So do a pitch like it doesn't hurt you.
Speaker 3: It can't hurt Yeah, it can.
Speaker 2: I mean, And all I see with people doing that is someone who's really confident in who they.
Speaker 1: Are, right yeah and ready.
Speaker 2: They're ready because you know what, they don't have an ex girlfriend on the side that they're still toying with. If they're putting themselves out there in that capacity.
Speaker 1: That is such a good point, Melissa. They nailed it. If you're doing a public pitch, there's no X in the background or some side thing that you're still trying to walk away from, right that is somebody you are free and clear. And I think that is that is so true. I never even thought about that. But to go back to like dating, it is like rack your brain to think of people that even do our talking to a few people.
Speaker 2: The concept of dating around I just feel like doesn't exist in the lesbian community. Like you're meeting someone and I feel like, you know, like I said that infamous U Haul situation, you may not be moving in together, but you're definitely spending all your time together right away. And it is very rare to hear that someone has someone you know else on the side. That does happen, I shouldn't even know. But it's not there's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with it. Like it's it's allowing you to get to know someone at a slower, more measured pace, and you know, adding some mystery in to the to the whole thing too, which I think is important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I Yeah, I was thinking that the other maybe a couple of weeks ago at the bar. I remember at Urban Pie, I met a woman who was sitting next to someone that she was on a date with. You were there, we were all there. It was the day of the Valero dance party. Oh yeah, and okay, so she I walk over. We we get introduced because we're in a group of all our friends, and then she kind of I'm like, oh, who is this your wife? I forget what I said, and she was like, no, but we're on a date, Like this is our we just started dating. I just met her like we're on a date. And I remember thinking like that was interesting to me because I'd never like she was dating. I mean, she was doing the thing that you do now there. I don't know why they would choose to go there for a date because you're like in this crowd of lesbians.
Speaker 3: Maybe I got a.
Speaker 1: Pizza joint at the bar, But but I thought she was, you know, she was doing the thing. And I wondered to myself, are they dating other people or is this like the typical lesbian Like you're on this first or second date and you're just now all of a sudden zeroed in on each other like what's the story here.
Speaker 3: There was a straight couple on a date there too.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're got the same night. Okay, the same day, but I don't know. It's like what I think that's the other part too, Like we we want to go on the first few dates and then it's like immediately, like you got to meet everybody, you got to meet all immediately.
Speaker 1: I want to have you with all my friends.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and I don't know again, like keep some mystery there, you know, like pace that kind of thing and get to know that person, make sure that you do want to bring them in the mix of your friend group, get to know them first.
Speaker 1: To me, this is just a me thing, like on you're just the two of you. Like the relationship is going to look different in a public setting because now I've got to put eyes on all these other people versus like like I'm thinking about this weekend at Mandy's birthday party. It was so fun and like I'm measured because I'm talking to you. Then I wanted to meet with I wanted to chat with Claudia. We were talking about fun stuff. Then said hi to a few other people. It's like if I had had a date there, Like, that's not my best thing. Yeah, I could introduce you to a shit ton of people, but that's not helping you and I, which is what I'm working on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it kind of circles back to that topic that we were talking about a few months ago of that woman whose girlfriend wanted to join her like annual oh yeah, her monthly book club or something girls trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, girl, yeah, And it.
Speaker 2: Was like, that's not the time to bring your partner in to meet, you know, like, yeah, bringing someone to a friend's birthday party.
Speaker 3: I don't know like that.
Speaker 2: I guess I could go either way. But if you want your friends to meet your person, organize your own thing and bring them in that way, or bring them in slowly, don't you know, throw them to the wolves and bring them to your book club.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm so impressed with our friend Robin if she's listening, because Robin had this new woman that she met and she didn't. We had something big going on for the social group that weekend.
Speaker 3: We peer pressure to her heart.
Speaker 1: We peer pressure her heart, and she did not cave. She didn't, she did not show up, and she was like, yeah, no thanks, Like I've got a way better play than what you guys are doing. But I thought, bring, yeah, she's like, I'm just not going to do it. I don't know. I admired that in her, especially because she's somebody who does love a good time. She loves to dance. All the things, all the things that would tempt her were there right outdoors, close to home in the neighborhood, but she's she stayed the course. Think of something from that.
Speaker 2: Right, It's important, Yeah, spend your time with that person, get to know them. Pace the way you're getting to know them, like there's no rush. I think one of the fears that I've had coming up with when I was dating a few years ago, I had met someone who, you know, she was seeing other people, and that immediately like, okay, so she was doing it competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this happened.
Speaker 2: I've never Okay, this was a few years ago, but I do remember feeling a bit of like, oh man, that like makes me feel like I have to compete a little bit.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't long.
Speaker 2: After that that she was like, forget all those people, I want to date you, which made me feel good, but it was a bit of like, oh, like I didn't like the feeling of like knowing that she was like going on a dates with other people and I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Did you know, like would you know when she was on a date?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: And that was I mean that really only lasted for like a week two weeks. Do you also feel sometimes like oh, in lesbian time, that was uh ten.
Speaker 1: Years a decade. But do you ever feel like to like you don't know, like the minute you start dating someone, all of a sudden they know what you're doing because you text so much and you're like in constant contact that it's like they know they it's Thursday and you're supposed to be here. So it's like you can't even like there is no plan you're there'd be really hard to be outdating because you're not.
Speaker 2: You're in such good Yeah, they know your routine immediately, Yeah, and it's yeah, there isn't any kind of like, oh, like you can't have some downtime where it's I don't know, like you're Yeah, you're a meshing so.
Speaker 3: Quickly with people.
Speaker 1: People a mesh so quickly.
Speaker 2: That if you were like, yeah, I'm grabbing I'm I'm grabbing coffee with a friend that.
Speaker 1: We feel like you are Wait what your friend where? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, can I join you?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly Like I have a good friend down here that I won't say names, but we always do like we're Our codependence makes us be like, hey, I'm going to be at dinner tonight with so and so in midtown, Like there's like this whole outline of what's happening, because I think we both are like sensitive about wait where are you again?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Not in a like that way, but more just like I'm so used to knowing. I'm used to knowing where you are saying. I know, like of a sudden a weekend went by and I didn't know what you were doing on a Saturday night, I would be like, what is she into right now?
Speaker 3: Everyone would immediately suspect that I was up to something.
Speaker 1: They would just immediately suspect. No, they would they would be like that's weird, right, Like I know I would be. So it's just like we do keep tabs on.
Speaker 2: The people that were right, and I'm I'm also like I'm a terrible liar, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would end up telling everything. I'm bringing everyone else down with you. You gotta confess exactly, Well, so what do you are you is your like are you in the camp of like we should be dating? Or like, how do you see that?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like a mix of both, because I have the feeling of you should pace yourself, you shouldn't jump into things too quickly. But I also have the feeling of like having other people on this, like in the mix kind of brings the drama if you're dating multiple people, Like let's say you're dating three people, okay, and you've been on three dates with each one. I feel like at that point, you know who's still in the running.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like now you're just wasting people's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you can rank who you're into, and you know, I think it's also again one of those things that comes into play of like when you're in your twenties, you really you don't know what you want exactly. Your goals are different. You guys don't have the baggage. You know, you're more so looking for someone. Well, I shouldn't say your goals are different. You are looking to get married and all those things most likely, And I feel like people at our age are looking for a long term thing marriage as well. But we're coming into the mix in our forties and fifties with so much more at play, you know, yeah, that's true, like more priorities, more kids, career, like those things are more important to me or more of a priority, should say important, but things that I have to like consider along with the relationship. The relationship is a nice bonus, a really nice bonus to have.
Speaker 3: It's just different, you know, as far as do.
Speaker 1: You feel like too, Like once you're older and you've been through a few relationships, a few breakups, a few heartbreaks, a marriage, Like I do find like my minutes now are so valuable that I'm just not interested in bullshitting around because I just the way I might have been even right when I came out, Like I feel like I was more willing to just show up and like do stuff versus now, I'm sort of like, I don't know, I wanna my time feels more precious.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I feel like, you know, we've kind of experienced a bit of that like dating atmosphere, and so it's it's easier for me to pinpoint when I meet someone whether or not I want I would want something with them on a romantic level.
Speaker 1: Total.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, it was like, everybody's a possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, And I don't.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's as much of a priority now for me, you know, like I do want I have so many things that I want to work on along with having that bonus relationship.
Speaker 3: You know that it doesn't feel as heavy.
Speaker 2: It's kind of what I was saying before we got on this call about decentering romantic relationship. Yes, like a romantic relationship is a nice bonus to your life, but it's also really lovely to do hobbies that you enjoy and to spend time with your friends and to spend time alone and be good with that alone. I'm and work on your career and growing that, Like, there's just so many other things that can bring joy to your life. And when it's all like this depends on a relationship for my happiness and my well being, it's like it's it makes that feel like the end all be all, and it's not.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, I totally agree. I felt that in Mexico City with the kids. I was thinking, like I to your point, relationships have always been central in my life, like whether it was my marriage, my long term relationship, the relationship I had after that, Like it's and not central. My kids are central always, but that has been a big piece and I'm not like now I'm not in a relationship, and so I do feel And in Mexico City, I was thinking, I'm having such a lovely time with my kids and my parents and like I hadn't I don't know, I don't know that I've done that where it's just like there is no other romantic adult here with me, and I'm fine, I'm okay, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Actually at a wedding, like I was feeling at a wedding, it's like if you're single at a wedding, it's like staring you in the eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, But I felt a little of that, to be honest, but not I was having an awesome time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also I mean, you're having a great time and you're not having to worry about this other person and whether or.
Speaker 3: Not they're having a great time in this.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good thing to bring up to And I know we have to rap soon. But the codependence we feel on romantic partners, whether it's a little or a lot, there's always some degree of like measured anxiety around how they're doing. In any situation, whether it be you know, you're here with your girlfriend and she's like you could tell she needs attention or she needs there's always a little bit of measured anxiety. Are they happy? Are they in a good mood? Are they mad at me? Did I already do something trigger them? Where now I'm worried about you know, what I say or the next thing, or am I ta looking to someone else? And that infuriates them? So it's like you're right, like there's that extra little layer of effort. That's a beautiful thing in a relationship, but it's also a thing to be dealt with. Yeah, so I think that too, is like sometimes it is nice to decentralize that and just have you and yeah, not.
Speaker 2: The stress that wedding was probably a lot less stressful because not having someone else there that you had to worry about, like, oh, like I've got to introduce this person and I've got to explain who they are and.
Speaker 1: Are they having fun? Yeah? Fun?
Speaker 2: And they have people to talk to if I if I'm wrapped up with this other thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like I think, you know, we need to pump the brakes a little bit on dates. Take your time, pace yourself getting to know someone, but also be like, it's also okay even if you were dating someone to have been like, I'm doing this thing on my own and yeah, nothing.
Speaker 1: Personal, and let it just naturally grow and when the time is right, you can make it official. But it is like it just goes from I just met you to we're texting a thousand texts a day to I'm with you every single free weekend that I have, and it is I don't know, it just I feel like there is a different way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's it's like instant ameshment.
Speaker 1: Instant ameshment, and it is. Yeah, I love all the early fun. Like I'm not saying don't do that. I'm just saying you don't have to move in like I did six weeks later. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean it sounds fun and it sounds romantic, but it also can get you deep in a hole that's difficult to get out of.
Speaker 3: Right, So anyway, all right, my.
Speaker 1: Friend, I pitch your friends. Pitch your friends, pitch your friends. That's all. I just literally think if someone's single and throw them a bone.
Speaker 2: And we have several examples now on our Instagram account. So you can look at those and see, you know, what we're what we're looking for, what other people have done. I feel like each one is very different, you know. Yes, so there's no rules here, okay, and you don't need to wait for a friend to pitch you pitch yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, guys, see you later. Hi.
Speaker 3: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E. L I. S A and Ali A L. L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles