Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBSY, Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: You know, Nicole, what's amazing about some of these athletes, particularly the women athletes. They maintain from Olympiad to Olympiad. Such dominance, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It is. I could not ever do anything that Katie Ladeci does. I love watching her in the pool. Did you see I think it was last night or earlier today where she was a whole length ahead of everybody else. Like, where do you get the energy for that?
Speaker 2: I guess you'd practice a lot, I should.
Speaker 3: Hope, So I think I'll maybe pass on that, but I like watching her.
Speaker 2: I think I'm a little old for this. Oh come on, thanks, all right, everybody, welcome on in. It's a nice hour with Dan Ray. I am off at a big trip later this week to Italy, so uh, I'm gonna visit my last show for about a week and a half. Fear not, fear not. I'll be back on August the twelfth with all sorts of tales from Rome and the Mouthea Coast. But put that aside because we have more important things to talk about this hour. For very important things, We're going to start off with the State Treasurer and Receiver General of the Comwealth of Massachusetts, Deborah Goldberg, also the chair of the Massachusetts State Lottery Commission, Adam Treasurer. How are you tonight?
Speaker 4: How are you Dan?
Speaker 2: I'm doing just great.
Speaker 4: I think you would do great in the swimming competition, or maybe you could do those uneven parallel bars.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, the pummeled horse or whatever it is that looks like my Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I certainly could get Stephen in from Worcester to give you a lesson.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess we could. I guess we could. That's the guy that they say looks like Clark Kent. He looks like Clark Kent, and he's like a superman. It's amazing. I'm just saying that these athletes maintained themselves from Olympiad to OLYMPIAD to Olympiad, which is which is not easy as you grow older every four years, as you and I have found out in our lives.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm I'm still running in the Olympics. It's just the Massachusetts ones.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, the Massachusetts Lottery Olympics have done very well. And I guess that you have a new revenue stream if you will. Here we're going to get online lottery sales here in the com Wealth of Massachusetts. What's going on with that?
Speaker 5: Well, this on.
Speaker 4: The governors, as you know, signed the state budget and an included language legalizing online lottery sales for Massachusetts. But candidly, we're not even close to the first. Every state around us already had online lottery sales, and we were actually behind the curve because you know, you've got sports betting online, you've got daily fantasy sports, you've got all sorts of things, and you know, we we're not for profit business. We are profit goes to the people of Massachusetts for the kind of news that they have, and so this puts us on a level playing field and it'll it'll take a little while to get it up and running. But now after quite a number of years of discussions about this, we are now on our way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, minus stadius are going to take about sixteen months, so we're not talking about something that's going to be available next week or even next month.
Speaker 4: Well, but in you know, given the complexities of I mean, it isn't you just don't take a photo of a of a mass State lottery ticket and then post it online. This has an enormous amount of technology behind it. And the good news is we won't be inventing the wheel. However, we have. We really want to go through a competitive process and make sure that we get the best deal for the commonwealth. And you know me, so, you know I always apply all of my business sense to things, and so it'll be a process where we do rfrs and RFIs and then RFPs and we will be looking for the best deal for the commonwealth. But you know, the Mass State lotteries profit margin is teeny the cost of us running it for a business of that size is very small, and over a billion dollars at this time goes out to every local community, distributed to them all over the state. That was the idea behind it, and that's what we've continued to do for over fifty years.
Speaker 2: Stayed true and predecessors. So explain to me how this works. When you hear about online lottery, that means I don't have to go down to my corner store to buy my lottery tickets. I can buy them online.
Speaker 4: Correct, Well, actually, online lottery has its own set of games and then you can buy some other games online. But there are also courier services. Now Jack Pocket, I believe is one of them. I think I'm getting the name correct, where you could not they are literally a customer of the lotteries. But yes, in order to play lot a lottery game, a mass state lottery game, you will not have to go down to your corner store. Although I'm putting my retailer cap on, I am hoping that there will be all sorts of new reasons for you to go down to your local retail store because we will be doing in our online operation promotions that you will not be able to resist, and in order to help our retail partners and also you as a customer.
Speaker 2: Okay, so come back if you could. The states that have surrounded us, can Massachusetts residents currently go online? And yes they can, so they can, they can. So so we have people probably purchase No, I.
Speaker 4: Don't play the lottery.
Speaker 2: No, No, you can't write I think you're probably illegal for you to do that. I know, and I know that you wouldn't. I got to be honest with that. I'm not a big lottery guy either.
Speaker 4: I hate to do well, maybe we can turn.
Speaker 2: You into lot No, I get it. Well, I'm so so what I'm.
Speaker 4: Saying is you know, the online lottery, and you know, I want to thank both the government, you know, the governor, the House, you know, Speaker Mariano and Center President Karen Spilk of the Joint Ways and Means Committee because they really took a thoughtful approach towards this. You can buy a lottery ticket in a store when you're eighteen years old. However, you cannot go online unless you're twenty one, and you have to verify that, okay, and you you there's all sorts of programs that will be built into the system. What we work with, all sorts of gam you know, gambling addiction, sure groups that have helped develop those, and so we will be instituting all of those. And what's really interesting and new about the online lottery is it's going to be paying for critical childcare services, which have become more and more desperately needed across the state. I hear from everyone how difficult it is to find childcare, how expensive it is to find childcare, and the online lottery revenues will be dedicated to childcare services.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me come back and just trying to understand a couple of questions and if I'm throwing questions at you that you don't have off the tip of your tongue. We can do this again in a couple of weeks. What I'm wondering is if Massachusetts residents are currently able to play online in other states. There's no For example, I know that you can from Massage. Well before Massachusetts legalized sports betting, you have to physically go to New Hampshire or wherever to betom football games. So he we're actually hemorrhaging some money right now to other states. Do we have any idea how much line money is going out of state?
Speaker 4: We don't know because the other state lotteries, who are delighted deal the number one lottery in the country customers just drool and tease us when we were losing our customers.
Speaker 6: You have to.
Speaker 4: Play within state borders online and although if you were to go to try to go sign I mean, I've been told that people have done practice play in the New Hampshire Lottery, just testing it out that they were they were close to the New Hampshire border and they would just go across, you know, into Salem, and then would play.
Speaker 2: Okay, so okay, So the premise of my the premise of my question is faulty because we're not hemorrhaging. People might be driving to New Hampshire.
Speaker 4: Or drive out the same in the same way. You know about the you know, the competition on the state liquor stores.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely okay. Now I get that. So okay. So we're we are basically taking care of business here in Massachusetts, and it's going to take maybe a year, maybe sixteen months, but you'll get it up and running and people will be able to do what they have to do. And you know, I mean, it's a great way to raise revenue because it's all voluntary. Nobody is doing it unless they want the fun and the competition. I sometimes buy a lottery ticket when there's like a five you know, one hundred five billion, one hundred five million dollar jackpot or something, as I figure, if I'm going to hit it big, if you're going to hit it sometime, I might as well hit it and hit it big. So far, it hasn't worked. That strategy has not worked matter, but I.
Speaker 4: I've met some of the people who it has worked for.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll tell you, I often want to I could talk to you about this all night. So I'm not going to do this, but I've often wondered if any of the lotteries, and I would hope Massachusetts might offer some counseling to these folks who all of a sudden find themselves winning one of these humongous paid Well.
Speaker 4: It's very interesting you should say that, because although now that number that has been exceeded on the power Ball. Do you remember when we had the woman from Chickapee who won the seven hundred and fifty seven million, and she and her sisters came to the to the offices that day, and one of the things I discussed with them was financial education and counseling, and also setting up some trusts and getting a good lawyer and that kind of thing. And I have seen that happened in the number of cases. Obviously, you can't force someone to do that, but I I have to even tell you that. Do you remember the the COVID vaccine lottery that went on for a couple draws, No, I don't. It was it was supported by the Got Got you know, Charlie Baker at the time and others. And I met a couple of the people who won, uh and they one of them was a young lady from Lynn and that money was going right towards her education. And another one was someone who had been hard working for his whole career and it was going to his family.
Speaker 2: So those are the stories.
Speaker 4: I hear, an awful lot of good stories.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have to schedule you again for some more good stories because I have to make way for another guest. I just so enjoyed talking with you. I hope you.
Speaker 4: I always enjoy talking to you too, and I always enjoy it when we bump into each other. Oh, because people were on the air. Well, no, but both Dan and I love animals.
Speaker 2: Zoo New England, that's what that's yeah. Uh in June, I was feeding, I was feeding by my with my he hands led us to giraffes. Was unbelievable, just really, you know, just a really great, great experience with all the folks at zun New England. Madam Treasure, I got a screwed here.
Speaker 4: We will talk to the late to Italy.
Speaker 2: I certainly will try my best. I will toast you with at least one glass of wine.
Speaker 4: Okay, alrighty, take good care, thanks very.
Speaker 2: Much, the same Treasure, Calmwealth of Massachusetts back Olbert. Bye bye, Den. We'll be back and we're going to talk about a subject that is probably not a really fun subject, and that is what is listeria? With doctor Shira Doron of the tough SMET and she's the Chief Infection Control Officer for Tough's Medicine and hospital Epidemiologists at the Tofts Medical Center. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on wb Z the news radio.
Speaker 2: We have heard a lot in the last couple of days about listeria with us is doctor Shiwo Derne, doctor Drone, Welcome back to Nightside, Thanks for being available. What the heck is listeria? How serious is this and what should people be looking out for? We're talking about a product boy's head, that's the delicatest and meat that I always look for when l out to buy any form of deli meat from my family. How concerned should I be?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Listeria is a bacterial infection and it can contaminate foods. Every year in the United States that we see about sixteen hundred listeria and about two hundred and six deaths. This current outbreak that's associated with the bores head liver Worth specifically has made about thirty has made thirty four people sick, and there have been two deaths and the illnesses have been found in thirteen states.
Speaker 2: WHOA, So you don't have to worry about I've heard that some of the delicatessens have you know, cleaned thoroughly their delic cases. So this listeria was only with one meat product. There was no danger of it jumping from you know, from that to Turkey or to ham or something like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean there is some danger. So you know, when when we find cases of listeria, we immediately notified public health authorities, and so our health authorities jumped into action and they do an investigation, and what they found was a link between these particular cases and the consumption of liver Worst and they actually you know, tested the liver Worst from boar's head and from the shelves as well, and they found that it was contaminated. And so what Borshead has announced is that out of an abundance of caution, we know that word well from activities, they recalled everything that they make in that plant because you know, the equipment itself can become contaminated and then it can contaminate other products. And they then also asked the grocery stores and delis to remove all of the boor's head products that they had UH and in many cases they also you know, threw out anything else that they had in those cases and that have been used you know, on those same machines and you know, re placers basically in the delis UH and did a deep clean, which is pretty easy to do. Pretty much any disinfectant will kill listeria.
Speaker 2: So I don't know much about listeria, and I understand what a bacteria is, but how frequent are these outbreaks? If you if you can tell me, and where did this emanate from? I mean, we've had all these questions about where's where's the avian flew from, and where's this and where did COVID come from? Do we know where real lysteria comes from?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: That you know. The deli meats are particularly susceptible because of the way multiple sources of meat are handled kind of at the same time. If you think about liver worth in particular, it can be from multiple animals at the same time, and there's you know, it's it can be easy to get contaminated from often from animals, feces, from manure, from soil that has bacteria in it, and so you know, for a long time now, pregnant women have been advised not to eat Deli meat unless you cook that Deli meat to over one hundred and sixty five degrees or steaming hot. Anything that you cook to steaming hot, you've eliminated or you've killed the listeria. So that's a safe way to eat Delli meat if you are high risk for a listeria and the high risk categories are pregnant women, people who are over sixty five, and people with compromised immune systems. But I feel pretty confident, although these types of recalls can sometimes expand, but now that Borshead has closed their entire plant, I feel pretty confident that we should not be seeing any new product get into the supply gain. The important thing now is for people to eliminate it from their own refrigerators.
Speaker 2: Is it just one one plant that we're talking about here, or is it just Yeah, I assume boys Head has more than what it's a huge company.
Speaker 7: Yes, right, yeah, they traced it to this one plant in Maryland. You know, again, sometimes these recalls do expand, and they've already expanded to every product in that plant. But I feel pretty confident that we've got a handle on it from what the CC has reported at this time.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. You You're a great interview for a whole bunch of reasons, but the clarity with which you explain things is is fabulous. So I just want to thank you. Thank you Drone, who we've had on this show many times, and I look forward to having her with us many times in the future. Thanks so much, doctor. I have a great night. When we get back, right after the news, we're going to talk with Boston Globe columnist Emily Sweeney. I love Emily. She is so funny, and she has a new feature that features I guess it's called oddball stories. I've never heard of even ball stories, but oddball stories called blater tales, blatter as in police blatter or ink blater, blottered tales. She'll explain on the Other side of the News at the bottom of the hour on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure all of us read the Boston Globe for different things. I know, I love the sports page on the Boston Globe, but I'm looking forward to a new section that's coming out called blater Tales with my friend columnist Emily Sweeney. Emily, I'm guessing that you came up with this idea of blater Tales.
Speaker 5: I can't say credit for that. Yeah, it was definitely a team effort at the Globe, a bunch of people, and I believe Doug Most Actually it was years ago when he was there. He was one of the folks who I know, do Yes, I.
Speaker 2: Did that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so long?
Speaker 2: How long has bladder Tale has been running?
Speaker 5: Gosh, it's been over a decade now. And it's funny because I get a lot of emails every week from people, and I think a lot of folks they know to look for it, you know what I mean. It comes out every Sunday in the Metro section of the paper, and yeah, there's a there's a loyal readership, and you know, there's this weird it's just crazy what police and fire departments deal with every week on a regular basis.
Speaker 6: Just a couple.
Speaker 2: Strange recent ones that you've come up to. Because I know how you love animals.
Speaker 8: Uh oh yeah, uh and uh, I got one I want to ask you about here, but but give me, give me one that did you like, and then I'm going to ask you about one that I have.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, okay, yeah, sure?
Speaker 5: So I mean one recent one, uh, an exotic bird escaped from its home uh in Milford, mass And you know, the owners were looking for it, posting on Facebook and everything, and it turned The bird turned up and rent them. The owners told, you know, through social media and working with animal control offices, they got the word up. The bird was named Thor, and he liked the song, you know, the song tequila.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, yeah that would make would that make Thors sore?
Speaker 5: Yes? Or Thor will come to that song? And sure enough a residence spotted Thor in his neighborhood. He started whistling the tune and Thor flew right into his house.
Speaker 2: And you sure it was the tune or not an open bottle of tequila?
Speaker 6: Right? You know?
Speaker 5: It may have been both. I'm not sure. Okay, I didn't hear otherwise, so it's probably just the guy's whistling.
Speaker 2: But uh, okay, So I got one here, yea that I that I wanted to ask about. I've just lost it here for Oh yeah, Spider Man is arrested for disorderly conduct. Uh, I mean, how old was this Spider Man? Mostly most people who I see wearing Spaman costumes are kind of in the six, seven, eight to nine years of age rage.
Speaker 5: You know, I get to say same same that that's uh, this was a different circumstance though, Right, so we're talking. This is near the Boston Garden and you know, the Celtics just won the championship and their enthusiastic sand dressed up as Spider Man was kind of kind of started taunting police and twerking and dancing around police.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I missed that. Go ahead not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wish I had been there. I wish I could have found, you know, video of this, But I did get a copy of the police report just kind of describing Spider Man's antics, and you know what happened was police made the call that like, you know, the you know, the guy dress as Spider Man was kind of getting the crowd riled up and trying to like get them to like go through like barriers and stuff and places where they couldn't go. So yeah, well that.
Speaker 2: Should definitely that should have been a tip off that it was a Spider Man impostor, because you and I both know that the actual Spider Man would never do something, you know, that inappropriate. I'm not talking about you know, talking.
Speaker 5: About well, you know, I guess he had some moves, you know what I mean. So he was arrested for disorderly conduct, you know, and yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 2: Do we have any idea how old this We don't have to name him by name, but I'm assuming he was beyond the range of six, seven, eight or nine since he's described as a man thirty.
Speaker 5: Two years old. Thirty two years old.
Speaker 2: His mom must be so proud of him.
Speaker 5: Man, you know, definitely creative, you know what I mean. Yeah, so that that was that was outside of the TV guy and that that arrest happened. But that's a that's a great example to Dan, and I'm glad you brought it up because like that's the exact like kind of like slice the life kind of quirky stories that I include every week in the column. You know.
Speaker 2: The other one which I got to ask about is the cat which was stuck in a tree, fell seventy feet that's longer than a pitching mountains. Yeah, that's sixty feet five inches six inches seventy feet made the cat landed on its feet or made a safe.
Speaker 5: Land so basically made a safe landing. What happened was this cat was stuck in the tree and witnesses said that, you know, he was up there for a really long time. The cat's name, by the way, was mister Storm. Is mister Storms.
Speaker 2: I was afraid it was going to be Spider Man. Oh thank god, mister Storm.
Speaker 5: So mister Storm. This was in Webb the kind of webste and mister Storm was stuck in the tree. A local tree like landscaping company came and tried to like get him. He just kept them going up and up and up the tall tree. Ended up jumping to another tall tree again, just you know, staying right out of the way of rescuers. Firefighters put up the ladder, tried to get them.
Speaker 6: No luck.
Speaker 5: So then the folks at the bottom of the tree they had a tap like a safety net, you know, and they stretched that out because they were afraid that the cat might fall or jump. And guess what, the cat did a leap, and thank god they had this huge tap. The cat landed in the tap. And then just took off like running, made a safe.
Speaker 2: Landing and a safe getaway.
Speaker 5: Well a getaway but short lived because he was found and brought back to his home. He made it home safe and sound. Yeah, yeah, but seventy feet leap, you know. But again it just shows you, like how all these different agencies kind of got together. You know, you have animal control off, so you got police, you got firefighters. Everybody's just working together, you know, to get the cat down safely.
Speaker 2: And I think the cat apparently there was a cat psychologist. I believe the follow up story which you missed, the cat thought he was he or she was a squirrel. You know how squirrels can leave the branches. And then you talk about some squirrel. This is such a cute picture. A little squirrel, which can be nasty when confronted. By the way this little squirrel was freed. It had its head caught somehow and it couldn't ye strike its head. What time was that?
Speaker 5: So that one was, Oh, that the squirrel in the dumpster? Yeah, that was that was a tough one. That was like one of my recent columns, it was it's wild to see like so you know, at the bottom of a dumpster. This is a Webster.
Speaker 2: This is a Webster story too. By the way, I think, no, that's the squirrel. We sorry, oh yes it is. I look, yeah, let me tell you.
Speaker 5: The squirrel. So this was another kind of bizarre rescue of an animal. But yeah, this poor little squirrel put his head in the drain the troll of the dumpster, you know, probably to get some food in the out of there, and it couldn't get out. And so what happened was they called firefighters and you know, the a CEO was on scene, and they actually used tools to cut out a corner of the dumpster and they were able to you know, cut away, you know, slowly, but surely, and the squirrel was freed and actually made a you know, stayed The a CEO kept an eye on it overnight and said, you know, it was acting very squirrel like, you know, yelling o her and stuff and and uh seemed very healthy. And she released it the next day and it took off up a tree.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's where the cat learned some of the squirrel moves. I didn't realize that both in the town of Webster. But it also tales. I love it.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I mean every day, strange stuff happens, you know what I mean, And that's what I just try to capture, you know, some of those moments every week.
Speaker 2: A great sense for Emily. You do a great job and I'm always looking for this. So this is every Sunday in the Globe.
Speaker 5: Every Sunday in the Globe. Yeah, it's in the Metro section and yeah, yeah, please check it out.
Speaker 2: After after I get rid of get you know, to get rid of after I finished reading Sean See and Kevin DuPont and everybody in the sports page, I'm going right to Blatertale.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what I like to hear.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Emily, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Thanks so much for being here. Will we get back. We're going to talk with an author. His name is Brian Biro. I hope it's pronounced correctly, and he's written a book which I think you're going to be interested in. Uh. It's a it's a book dealing with lessons from the legends, new applications from the timeless wisdom of John Wuden and Pat Summit. If you don't know who John Mouten and Pat Summitt are you're not a college basketball fan. We will explain it all on the other side of this very quick break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Joining us. That is Brian Biro. I'm hoping I'm pronouncing that last name correctly. Am I close?
Speaker 6: You did Brian Biro's bio correctly? Way to god.
Speaker 2: I like that. That's I can remember that, Brian Biro's bio. Okay. So you have a couple of degrees from a couple of pretty good schools, Stanford and UCLA. Okay, and you've written a book, Lessons from the Legends, and this talking about two basketball legends. College basketball legends John Wudin of UCLA, who lived to the age of almost made a hundred it or not in Pat Summit University of Tennessee, arguably the greatest college men's and women's basketball coaches in the history of the game. You won't disagree with me on that, I hope.
Speaker 6: Not a bit. They were both phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how did you come to this subject? What drew you to them? And tell us about the book?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I wanted to write a book about character. Again, I believe that we need to focus on character. Coach would and would often say, you know, you're be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your characters who you are. Your reputation only what others think you are. And I grew up in southern California had a great admiration for John Whitten. He actually became my friend. He wrote the forward to my very first book, which was called Beyond Success. But I never got the chance to meet Pat Summit, but I always admired her. And what really really intrigued me and was they're different in style, but their similarity and character. Both of them were very humble. By that, I mean, you know, some people think being humbled means that you're not competent. Not true. He can be very humble and very competent because being humble doesn't mean you think less of yourself. It means you think of yourself less. But the key to being why being humble is such a valuable thing in our world today, Only those are humble our lifelong learners. Because only those are humble are always looking to get better. And they both live that so much. And I think most of all I had My first career out of graduating from the Stanford was I was a US swimming coach. So I'm loving the Olympics happening right now. But I always realize that we don't coach swimming or basketball first, we coach people. It's helping people break through those fears, helping people, you know, develop their faith in themselves, develop the team spirit. So I wanted to take two people who are very different in style. You know, coach coach Summit could melt steel with Stare. She was tough one of her favorite statements, A tough enough buttercup and John Wooden was the ultimate gentleman. But in their in their passion for building people, their passion for being humble, their passion for work ethic, their passion for really trying to make everyone around them better, they both believe, you know, it's amazing what's accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit. They gave credit, took responsibility.
Speaker 2: So that was also great as well. Winning Winning is not you know, I think I forget who it was that winning is and everything. It's the only thing that might have been Lombardi if I'm not mistaken that and it's a different style obviously, but these these two very successful you know, college basketball coaches, you you have very uh you talk about character versus reputation, and that's a very interesting point of view. If you, if you do have good character, I think general, your reputation is going to follow. In my opinion, there may be people who who have a great reputation, but in fact their their character is you know, it doesn't back up the reputation. I guess it can go one way. Character reputation. But there's a couple of other phrases here which which struck me, and that is balancing passion and calmness. It's tough to be both. I mean, if you're really passionate about whether it's your work or or even for that matter, of your golf game, it's it's tough to be passionate and when things don't go well to remain calm. What did what did you learn from them about that ability?
Speaker 6: Well? I think both of them understood that the key to handling that having passion and staying cool under pressure is to focus on controlling your controllables. It's when we try to control the things we don't control that we really start to lose it. That we start to get impatient, angry, frustrated. And both of them, though they love to win. This is the most remarkable thing that you'll ever hear about John Wooden. In twenty seven years of coaching UCLA, he never said the words winning or losing to his players. Now, for those who don't know, listen to your show. Was he won ten national championships, so he loved to win, but what he wanted to focus on was look at the things you control. Your effort, your energy, your attitude. You're learning your attitude. And Coach somewhat was the same. She intensely wanted to win, but she didn't look at the score as necessarily the determination of whether you really deserve to be praised or not. It was really what you put in the things you control. And I think that's the secret for anybody, whether it's in business, whether it's in parenting. When we focus on the things we do control our effort, our energy, our presence, our focus, we feel momentum, we feel like we can rather than we can. And I think that's another real important thing that they really truly truly exemplified.
Speaker 2: Well. Both of them obviously also had good players. John Wooden had had Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Bill Walton, Gail Goodrich. There are a lot of great players that that developed under him. That's that's all. The always the chicken and egg story. Does the coach make the player or do the players make the coach? What's your thought on that?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, if you look at John witten, I, you know, we we remember that he coached Bill Walton, and he coached and he he coached Kareema, Bill Jabbar when he was lu Al Sinder. But he won with every conceivable kind of team. His first two teams had no starter over six foot four and a half. Then he won, of course with the big centers and the great players that he had, and then his last three championship teams were forward dominated. So he he understood that, you know, he didn't try to coach everyone the same way. He looked for the strengths and brought him out, and so did coach Summit. They they could. They really focused on looking at who they had, and they really believe that both of them that the difference between being good and great. Coach wouldn't said this often really came down to the difference between being willing and being eager. You know, when you're willing, Yeah, you'll do it, but it's kind of like, you know, willing is kind of like our teenagers cleaning their room. Yeah they'll do it because they want to eat, right. But eager is I can't wait. I got to get out there. I want I just can't wait to do it. That kind of spirit he felt, you know, that talent. He used to say there are no overachievers, And what he meant by that is we have more in this than we know, and a coach's job is to try to bring the best out of what we have.
Speaker 2: Boy, a lot of great lessons. The book has been available for a while, but it's Lessons from the When did it come out? This is not something they came out yesterday, I so home.
Speaker 6: No, it just came out at the end of last year. I was really excited to kind of hit number one as a new release and know it was a joy to write because I feel like, more than ever, I like to see our all of us start to remember to move from ego to weigo And that's.
Speaker 2: The mindset phrase. So Lessons from the Legends, New Applications from the Timeless Wisdom of John Wooden and pat Summit available everywhere. Brian biro As in bio, thank you very much. I enjoyed, I enjoyed the passion you brought to this conversation.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dan. I really appreciate your having me on and thank you for all you do. And wish your great joy happy August.
Speaker 2: It's right around the corner. It's about four hours hours, three hours away now I wish it was Memorial Day. Thanks a bunch bride. When we get back, we have some subjects to talk about tonight, Secret Service being grilled by senators. But I also am going to get to a late ad that we did not promote today, and that is just the dumbst statements that Donald Trump continues continues to make. He almost wonder does he want to be president or not. We'll get to art of I promise, as well as what's going on in the Middle East. We have a jam pack three hours coming up right after nine o'clock news