Speaker 1: Good Monday morning, and welcome in.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky and this morning news on news Radio eight forty w h as Nick Coffee got the full crew here in the house today, Scott Fitzgerald alongside John Olden doing his thing producing without him, without him putting, hitting important buttons and there.
Speaker 1: None of this is possible. So we're very happy that he's here.
Speaker 2: We've got John Shannon as well, and we'll take you up until nine o'clock recapping a big weekend and a lot to get to. Certainly here as we as we get the get the party started weekend, Fellas, how was it good weekend? I mean they never last long enough?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, then we have a short work week this week, that's true. It's July holiday.
Speaker 2: Is that the first time I started the week with a corny, very you know, low hanging fruit.
Speaker 1: Type of joked week. Weekend's not lasting long enough again.
Speaker 3: You know what's nice is we have we have Friday off well, and we have Saturday off with Joe Elliott because I told.
Speaker 1: Them I'm out on Thursday as well, and I'm out on next Monday.
Speaker 3: Look at this, see, and that's why I told the boss, I said, are we having to show Saturday because I'm probably gonna take that off.
Speaker 2: I'm no, yeah, get that would be a tough workday to not request off, just given how weird it would be to have the fourth of July off and then coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: How about that, I'm mentioning that weekends never last long enough. And then we've realized that we all have some added time off because we're going to be celebrating fourth of July.
Speaker 1: So that's a good way to get things started. Absolute good stuff, all right.
Speaker 2: So this is probably going to be the story that you hear about more than any story today here locally, and that is the passing of legendary Hall of Famer. I mean, a guy who I could give you the rundown of all of what he accomplished in horse racing, but that would take a lot of time.
Speaker 1: But it's d WAYE.
Speaker 2: Lucas who passed away at the age of eighty nine on Saturday four time, Kentucky Derby Winter. They will release this news yesterday morning from Churchill Downs. I believe their PR team was the first to kind of get it out there, so obviously somebody that has as much accomplishments as nearly anybody you'll find in the sport.
Speaker 1: I mean, he had twenty Breeders' Cup victories.
Speaker 2: In total, he had let's see, fourteen wins when it comes to the Triple Crown Races, the Preakness, Belmont Stakes, and the Derby. So a guy again when it comes to his accomplishments, I'm sure all of you are well aware of just how accomplished he was. But as someone who has before getting this opportunity, anytime I spent in front of a microphone and broadcasting has always just been on the sports side. So I didn't get a chance to meet the legend. But I can tell you this, if I had, I would have considered it an absolute privilege. And as mentioned, you'll hear a lot about his professional accomplishments, which clearly made in one of the best, one of the most iconic trainers in horse racing history. In fact, you'll probably learn some things throughout these next couple of days that makes you realize he was even more successful than maybe you knew.
Speaker 1: But as someone who's never been.
Speaker 2: A big horse racing fan, which that's putting it lightly, I just never really get into the sport a whole lot other than the Derby, and I have no shame in admitting that.
Speaker 1: It's just it'd be a life I said otherwise.
Speaker 2: But what always stood out to me in my time covering sports mediing, of course the Derby and horse racing comes along with that to an extent, he's I mean, this is somebody that I never heard anyone say anything that wasn't positive about him, And I mean those who did get a chance to cover him, that got a chance to know him a little bit. And I think you'll likely hear praise about him as an individual and how he treated a lot of people long before you'll hear somebody mention, oh, by the way, he's one of the best to ever do it.
Speaker 1: In horse racing too.
Speaker 2: So I think that's a result of many things, but mostly it's how he treated people. And for a guy who did it as long as he did, I would say that he was pretty consistent when it comes to just having an impact on people, seemingly in a positive way. So again, I did not get a chance to ever meet him, but clearly, if you live in this town, even if you don't pay attention to horse racing at all, you know who de Wayne Lucas is and he passed away on Saturday evening at the age of eighty nine. And Scott, you're more versed in the sport of horse racing than I am, and you could maybe know a little bit, and that means you know more than me. But when it comes to just trainers that just had had such long careers and just throughout many different eras and generations of the sport, they were always on top or near the top. I mean, it's de Wayne Lucas, Bob Bafford, and there's others, but he's certainly in that group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is, Nick And I think to your point, you know, d Wayne Lucas saw his success in the late eighties the nineties, whereas we had Bafford, the Steve s Mussen's, et cetera going through here. But I think you summarized it best in what you were talking about. He was well liked, affectionately known as the Coach. I was able to see him while we were on the backside, and as he's often talked about, he's out early in the morning, you know, even before the sun comes up, and you can't miss his presence. When he's on the track. You know exactly who he is when you see him. I saw him, and for myself coming into the horse racing mix sort of after that apex of his career, I didn't know him. He still was larger than life.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you used the word present, because that's that again, without having any direct interaction with him at all, he is someone that's certainly with just what he accomplished, and I guess just the impact that he had on people. Certainly, I think when you have a presence about yourself that stands out more so than others, you probably have a lot of charisma. And yeah, rest in peace to de Wayne Lucas and thoughts and prayers to his family and the whole horse racing family as a legend passed away this weekend. All right, we've got news and actually we've got tragicking weather coming your way. We'll get to sports coming up in about fifteen minutes. Roy O'Neil gonna join us at five forty five. A lot to get to nationally right now. I'd say the biggest story is what took place in Idaho over the weekend, which in fact I say over the weekend, it was last night. It was actually late last night as firefooter, I think it was two firefighters, actually more than that, but we now have two people dead and it's because a firefight. Multiple firefighters were ambushed while responding to a fire and it seems.
Speaker 1: As if it was a set up, which we'll.
Speaker 2: Get the latest on that as at least as best we can for rio'eil coming up here at about five forty five. It is Kentucky his morning news on news radio eight forty whas. Maybe it's just a sign of getting getting acclimated with the schedule that is still on the new side.
Speaker 1: It's new ish, but this is this is week four.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, in a week five of me here in this in this spot getting us started here at eight forty whas with Kentucky and this morning news, so I'm in him a fifth week and they're still letting me do it, which is great. But that song is true. It is Monday, and I was expecting to really feel it this morning, but.
Speaker 1: I didn't as much.
Speaker 2: So I'm riding some momentum here, some energy because I just assume, well, Monday is going to be tough because Mondays usually are. But you know, three o'clock in the morning being when your Monday starts is something that I just don't think will ever be easy. But when you, I guess, prepare for the worst and hope for the best and end up, you know, not having a rough Monday morning, I'm gonna I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna celebrate that. It is five seventeen.
Speaker 2: In fact, five eighteen now here at Kentucky is news on News Radio eight forty whas. We'll have our first sports update coming up in about seven minutes. But real quick, there is a flash flood warning that's been issued north of us here in southern Indiana. I believe it's still considered southern Indiana, but it's it's not you know, we're not talking Jeffersonville, Clarksville, that area.
Speaker 1: We're talking north of that.
Speaker 2: So if flash flood warning has been issued for Brown County, Jackson County, and Lawrence County as well as Monroe County in Indiana until between six thirty I'm sorry, no between, it's seven am. So the the warning is until seven o'clock. So again that tells me that it's our as we as we stand as we speak right now at five eighteen am, they've already had a lot of rain coming down I would assume or maybe it's on the way because here where we are in downtown Louisville, it hasn't happened just yet, but again, some storms expected this morning. We're gonna have a wet and stormy start to the day, and it sounds like we'll have the same thing later today as the day comes to an end. But counties those county mentioned as far as just the communities, the town's in that area. Of course, Nashville that's Brown County. I think a lot of folks here in loulll are familiar with Brown County. But in Jackson County that is Brownstown. You've got Seymour, Corrouthersville, and then in Monroe County that's Bloomington. So that's certainly north of us.
Speaker 1: So not in the direct area here where we are today.
Speaker 2: But obviously, when you're on a station like news radio eight forty, whas your region a lot more people than just the Louisville metro area. So if you are in those areas, be advised.
Speaker 1: There is a.
Speaker 2: Flash flood warning. In fact, now it's been it looks like it's been extended, so Jackson County until eight o'clock. Lawrence County, Indiana until eight fifteen. All right, so last week on Friday, right, and we end this show at nine am. So a lot of things developed throughout the day, and I'm still trying to get comfortable as far as Okay, this is a news talk show. If things come up on a Friday and then you get to Monday, how newsy is that? Well, I think the Crystal Rogers case is going to be something that that the last I think the expectation is it's going to be a ten day trial. But there was some some testimony during during the trial on Friday afternoon that I think it didn't change the case as far as any any physical evidence, but the testimony from one of the lawson's ex girlfriends, I mean it to me, I think it's as far as testimony only, it's as damaging as anything for the defense thus far. But what I keep coming back to is, yes, this is I mean, this is the scenario where those people being charged and those that haven't been charged but are listed as unindicted code conspirators, Brooks House, brother Nick, his mother, Rosemary, like all the all the all the key figures in this whole thing. Allegedly, the scenario where they weren't involved. I just think is insanely unlikely, almost just impossible to really believe. But when it comes to the prosecution, every bit of evidence they have is circumstantial. It's not it's not you know, it's not any direct proof. And even though the testimony from Friday I think was damaging, let's be honest. That's that's that's one person's word. And I wouldn't, you know, I would assume that anybody who is under oath would never lie, but maybe not naive. And again to hope you can sense sarcasm. All right, we've got sports coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald. But first another check of traffic and weather right here on news radio.
Speaker 1: A forty whas.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is five point thirty five here Kentucky in this morning news with Nick Coffee on news.
Speaker 1: Radio eight forty whas. Take us with you wherever you go.
Speaker 2: Listen live at WHS dot com, and also you can listen live on.
Speaker 1: The iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And a reminder, we've got the talkback feature there if you want to interact and share whatever it is you want with us. Questions, complaints, comments, compliments, insults. Feel free to fire away again, just hit that microphone button on the app and they'll they'll prompt you and you're.
Speaker 1: Ready to rip it off, rip off whatever you'd like, all right.
Speaker 2: So on Friday afternoon, there was testimony as the first week at the Crystal Rogers trial was wrapping up. And it would probably be a stretch to say that the testimony completely changed the case, but I think it was, at least from my perspective, the most damaging testimony when it comes to the defense. So there was a neighbor who provided testimony that Brooks House Brooks Howke's family suspiciously moved bags from their trunks into his basement days after Crystal Rogers vanished, and I guess just the prosecution. Other than that testimony from the neighbor, Uh, there was another Yeah, this was a former I think it was a former girlfriend who was dating Lawson who's also being is also part of this this trial as well, and she claims that she heard the father son duo of Lawson discussing moving a body on the Hawk farm using as skid steer. So again that's again that's that's testimony. It's not proof, but that's somebody that clearly it'd be a tough thing to to deny that this, that this wasn't somebody that was close to the Lawsons. See, I prosecutes alleged that How killed Rogers at the family farm on July third, and cell data contradicts the alibi that he that he claims, so play it plays. The cell data puts him at the farm until midnight, with a stop at a campground, not at home as he initially claimed. And I guess is still claiming. But but the witness here, uh is Heather Snelling And again she uh. She testified that she overheard Joseph and Stephen Lawson discussing moving a body on the Hauk farm using its using a skid steer. She claims that they were at the loss in home and she was in another room and overheard that that conversation. Also, the neighbor Mary Maddingly, she claims that she saw How's mother rose Mary and brother Nick. Again, both of those the brother former law enforcement officer Nick and then the mother Rosemary. They're both considered unindicted co conspirators. But the neighbors says that she saw both Rosemary and Nick at Hawke's home post disappearance, moving cars to back trucks towards the basement, and there was also she saw something that looked as if and I don't know, I don't have the exact testimony as far as what was said word for word, but she saw them carrying white bags inside and again using vehicles to I suppose, hide what they were doing from people that would be able to see it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's that's that's the latest as far.
Speaker 2: As the the the prosecutions witnesses, and again that's not a good look but also far from any direct proof. And the the counter arguments from from Hauke's team as lawyers, they argue that again this just this, this whole case is circumstantial and the media presence has been a big factor to why people just I guess again I'm paraphrasing here as far as with defenses, but they're claiming that the behavior, as far as how they've acted towards law enforcement was all because they just they felt as if, because the media pressure that's out there, that even if they are innocent, everybody just wants them to go down for the crime. But they claim that the cell phone pings reflect Wi Fi connections, not a campground stop. And they also questioned the witness, the Heather Snell, and they question why she delayed in sharing this information. And the attorney for laws and not how it emphasizes his minimal mentions throughout this whole thing, basically saying, you know, distancing him from the actions of the other lawson and of course Brooks Howkes. So again it's nobody homicide, and the defense is going to mention that endlessly, as they probably should. But as far as getting a conviction knowing that it's all circumstantial, I mean, that's that's happened certainly when it comes to trials, but.
Speaker 1: It's always led me to believe, well.
Speaker 2: You know, if I was on the jury, I kind of think I know which side I'd be be laning.
Speaker 1: But that's just me. All Right. We've got roy o'eil set to join us coming up here.
Speaker 2: After we get our next update on traffic and weather, we'll get the latest on this suspected shooter who allegedly killed two Idaho firefighters and injured at least one. That suspected shooter has been found dead with the weapon in Idaho. But as far as what we know about who it is and the entire situation. We'll see what we can get from Roory O'Neil of NBC News coming up here just a moment right here our news radio eight forty whs. It is five forty five here at Kentucky and it's morning news on news radio eight forty whas. Let's bring in Rory o'eal of it in BC News. So, we had an active shooting situation in Idaho yesterday firefighters ambushed. I believe two have have been pronounced dead. One was in surgery last saw. And also the latest is that the perpetrator here has been found also dead. What else can you tell us about this developing story, Rory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and good morning. The other factor is whether or not this shooter whose body was found near the scene of the fire, was the only person involved in this. When the sheriff was first talking about it, they suspected there may be multiple gunmen, but at an update.
Speaker 1: He gave last night, they now believe it.
Speaker 4: Was just the lone shooter who was responsible. That that person set the fire to draw out the firefighters in Cordelaine, Iowa, Idaho, and then started firing on the firefighters who responded to the scene. As you said, two were killed. A third it was in surgery at last report and has been listed as being now in stable condition. But now the question is who was this guy, what was he doing, and why did he do it?
Speaker 2: If we'll ever know, yes, and I would imagine we'll find out the identity of this perpetrator soon. And as far as right motive and whatnot, I mean, it's just this is I can't imagine a first responder on a way on your way to do, you know, what is something that is very important and serve and protect, and then you become the victim.
Speaker 4: Just awful, right, and especially in these fire situations. The sheriff said they really didn't have time to secure the crime scene to do more of an investigation because the brush fire he had set was approaching, so they sort of had to scoop up the evidence that at the scene and get out of there because this obviously complicated the response to fight the fire.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: They also said that they were able to track this guy down because the suspect's cell phone. Apparently they could track the fact that there was a phone in the area that wasn't moving for hours, and that led them to say, hey, wait a minute, now, that doesn't seem to make sense and brought them to the scene.
Speaker 2: So do we know I mean, I assume, well, I don't know, the fire itself would obviously get attention, that would that would get the fire team there to to put it out and do what they're supposed to do. But do we know if that if that phone that they found that the is that the phone that called nine one one I guess to report.
Speaker 4: Ith, Yeah, I don't. We don't know that yet, but yeah, I don't. I don't think they've gotten into that kind of detail yet. But now that they have the phone, uh, and they certainly know who the suspect is. At this point, a lot of this is going to come together very quickly, very.
Speaker 2: Very big story, of course, and we'll keep you updated as best we can as far as what we what we find out about the alleged perpetrator here, all right. Also, Rory, I wanted to get your thoughts on Henry. It stands for high earner, not rich yet. Why are those that are making the big salaries still struggling financially?
Speaker 1: What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 4: Well? A couple of new reports both brought up this Henry term in the past few days. As you said, high earner, not rich yet, emphasis on the why for yet. But this is about millennials really sort of hitting their stride when it comes to earning potential, and what they're finding is they maybe making six figures, but they're barely making ends meet either the cost of childcare, which was cited multiple times in these reports, the cost of saving for college. Oftentimes, these Henry members are in they're in the squeeze, in the sandwich. They've got to take care of parents and children, and they're finding that despite making high incomes, they still aren't getting ahead yet.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on the why. That's got to be the emphasis. The yet makes it seem as if we'll get to a point where this is not a thing.
Speaker 1: But I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not so sure of it right now. But Rory is always thank you for the time, and enjoy the rest of your day and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 2: That's Roy and Neil NBC News. Yes, when it comes to health, I'm sorry childcare being referenced in these studies. I can attest to that, and I know everybody's childcare situations different and I'm sure there are those that pay more than what my family's paid for childcare for both of our kids. But I know that now my son is starting kindergarten this year, I mean it is to say that it's going to be I mean, it's gonna be a very noticeable thing financially, just because that's an expense that's been there for so long with us and now it won't be there. And I'm very excited stuff to find, you know, people to take care of our kids from time to time, but just the weekly expense of having a child in childcare. In fact, we had two kids in childcare at the same time for a while, so looking forward to that, I can tell you that for sure. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Also we will get another update on sports with Scott Fitshgeriald right here on news Radio eight forty whas