Speaker 1: And now the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, where Sir John Gilbert and Sherlock Holmes, and Sir Ralph Richardson as our story teller, Doctor James Watson.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: I think I may have shown in the course of these narratives of mine that the exploits of my friend Sherlock Holmes ranged from affairs of the humblest order to matters concerning the very highest.
Speaker 2: In the land of the latter.
Speaker 3: There are many which perhaps can never be told for reasons of diplomacy or even scandal, And in those that can, dates and names sometimes must be disguised, even now, particularly in the unusual adventure which I have called the Second State.
Speaker 2: Mister, well, Missus Hudson, you seem a little over order, if I may say so.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's the gentleman, the two gentlemen to see you waiting downstairs.
Speaker 2: Well, we've seen gentlemen before, Missus Hudson.
Speaker 5: Yes, our lives would hardly be economically possible without our visiting plans.
Speaker 2: It is, oh, mister Holmes, doctor Watsons in bakes.
Speaker 5: Cheap, my humble come, Missus Hudson, not the Prince of Wales.
Speaker 2: What officer.
Speaker 4: It's the Prime Minister, the Prime Minister of England.
Speaker 3: Sir, well, well, my dear home, you're dressing gown.
Speaker 5: Oh here take this, take this, give me my jacket.
Speaker 2: My dear fellow. Yes, sure you up, missus Hudson, sure, hm. You musn't keep the Prime Minister waiting.
Speaker 3: So into our humble sitting room came those two great men, Lord Bellinger, the Premier, and his companion, the Secretary for European Affairs, the right Honorable Trelawney Hope.
Speaker 5: So, gentlemen, I take it I may have the honor to.
Speaker 2: Be of some service to you.
Speaker 6: You are I only hope, mister Holmes. The Prime Minister suggested you at once the moment I told.
Speaker 2: Him a y dreadful loss. It was impossible for us to go to the police a full loss, sir. Indeed, yes, to inform.
Speaker 7: The police would be to inform the public, and.
Speaker 2: That is what we particularly desire to avoid.
Speaker 7: An important to take document is missing mislaid while in mister Hope's possession, and it is of such importance that peace or war may hang upon the issue.
Speaker 2: I understand, my lord.
Speaker 5: Now I should be obliged if mister Hope would kind of tell me the exact circumstances under.
Speaker 2: Which this document disappeared.
Speaker 6: Of course, sir, But this, gentleman, your companion, doctor Watson, is in my confidence in everything I undertake. Indeed, this is really almost impossible for me to embark upon a case without him.
Speaker 2: You can rely upon his discretion implicitly to the very utmost, gentleman, I promise it very well.
Speaker 6: Then it's a letter, mister Holmes, I can tell you that it's a letter from from a certain foreign portent.
Speaker 2: Take, mister Holmes, let's us leave it so quite so for the moment at least. Well, when was it received? May I have six days ago? It was so important that I'd never even left it in my safe.
Speaker 6: I'd taken it across each evening to my house white hold Terraced, and kept it in a locked despatch box in my bedroom. It was there last night. You are certain of that, Quite certain. I opened the box while I was blessing for dinner and saw it there.
Speaker 2: This morning it was gone, the box itself, no, only the letter half.
Speaker 6: My wife and I are both liked sleeper. Sister Holmes were both prepared to swear that no one could have entered the room during the night.
Speaker 2: Yet the paper's gone at miss ruined, ruined. What time do you dine, mister Hope, half past seven? And how long was it before you went to bed? My wife had gone to a theater. I waited up for her. It was half past eleven before we retired to our room.
Speaker 5: Yes, then for four hours the box had lain unguarded.
Speaker 6: No one is ever permitted to enter that room except two trusted servants who are beyond suspicion.
Speaker 2: Who else knew of the existence of that letter? No one in the heart not your wife, no, sir. I said nothing to her until I missed the paper this morning.
Speaker 5: Is there any one else, my Lord, in England who could possibly know of the existence.
Speaker 2: Of this letter?
Speaker 7: Only the members of the cabinet, mister Holmes, but all under the pledge.
Speaker 8: Of secrecy which attends.
Speaker 5: Every cabinet me and abroad.
Speaker 2: I believe no one save the man who wrote it. And may I ask his name, mister Holmes.
Speaker 9: The envelope is a long, thin one of a pale blue color.
Speaker 8: That is all I think that you need to know.
Speaker 5: Well, I am quite aware that you are two of the busiest men in the country and in my own small way.
Speaker 2: I have a good many calls upon my time. I regret exceedingly that I cannot have you in this matter. What would you find him? The bell?
Speaker 1: Mister Hose?
Speaker 9: How dare you?
Speaker 2: I am not a cup?
Speaker 8: Hm?
Speaker 2: Very well, we must accept your terms. I suppose no doubt it is unreasonable or it's to expect you to act without our entire confidence. Thank you, my lord. Praise it down again, Watson Ah.
Speaker 7: Now, then, gentlemen, the letter is from a certain foreign potentate who has been ruffled by some recent colonial developments.
Speaker 2: In this country.
Speaker 7: It was written hurriedly, and the anger on his own responsibility entirely, and his ministers know nothing about it.
Speaker 2: You mean his highness, the come Prince of mister Home.
Speaker 5: Very well, sir, let me write it down on this slip of paper.
Speaker 2: Am I correct? My lord? Quite correct?
Speaker 8: And you see it wants the indications.
Speaker 7: If that document should fall into the hands of any other chancery in Europe, a breach will be made between this potentated our country, with fatal consequences.
Speaker 2: You must find it homes great heavens, you must, sir. My whole future defends one. I shall do my best to help you, mister Hope.
Speaker 9: I can do no more.
Speaker 5: But if the scept occurred last night before you retired, as it must have done, the paper must at this moment be speeding on its way to the continent as fast as steam.
Speaker 2: Can take it. My lord. Well, mister Holm, if.
Speaker 5: I may presume to advise you, yes, yes, there is only one course open to you.
Speaker 2: What is it, sir?
Speaker 5: Prepare for war, my lord, for I shall do what I can, but at least prepare for war.
Speaker 9: Good day, gentson ah, they've gone.
Speaker 5: Well, well holmes, who'll behave the most discreetly, my dear fellow. I was so proud of you, your whole air detached interest of silent helpfulness. You know you've missed your calling, my dear Watson, you ought who have been a diplomat? Oh it's it's no laughing matter, homes you thinks not. It really is the most serious affair, larmingly so. But the situation, though desperately serious, is not quite hopeless, I believe. What do you intend to do with There are several foreign agents, big names among the international spy ring. If one of them should be missing, especially if he's disappeared since last night.
Speaker 2: We shall then have some indication of where the letter may have gone.
Speaker 5: Ah, yes, yes, But if none of them is missing, then we can take it that the letter hasn't left the country yet. That would be something of a miracle. And in that case, well I might.
Speaker 2: Be able to get it back.
Speaker 5: After all, I have the whole British treasury behind me. If it's on the market, I'll buy it back, even if it means another penny on the income day.
Speaker 2: Huh. But who who are the likely agents?
Speaker 5: Only three that are big enough Oberstein, la Rotier and Eduardo Lucas Holmes.
Speaker 10: Whom, dear fellow, you look so white? What on earth's the matter? Homes Keven knows you've astonished me more than once with some spectacular announcement. Now it might turn well, Watson. Eduardo Lucas Holmes, you said, Lucas, I think yes, of course, of the dolphins.
Speaker 5: See exactly you won't see, Lucas Holmes. And why not pray it was murdered in his house last night?
Speaker 2: Lucas, you don't mean it. I was reading about it before our visitors arrived. Eduardo Lucas, the well.
Speaker 3: Known society flennor and distinguished amateur tenor murdered most bootle by a knife in the heart.
Speaker 2: What an amazing coincidence, homes.
Speaker 11: Coincidence, Man, great heavens, you can't really mean it, Eduardo Lucas, Did I tell you wats'?
Speaker 2: Well? Well? Well, what's the matter, Missus Hudson Dwight twight? In one day? Just think of my humble Who is it this time? Woman?
Speaker 4: The lady you do, sir?
Speaker 2: Who did you say? The lady yielded to norny, mister home. The wife of the gentleman is Lord Deninger Holmes. You're dressing Guard, You're dressing gard now Jack and missus Hudson free.
Speaker 3: And the moment later, our modest apartment, already so distinguished that morning, was further honored by the entrance of the loveliest woman in London, nay, in the world. I'd often heard of the beauty of the youngest daughter of the Duke of Bellminster, but no description, no contemplation of.
Speaker 2: A lifeless photograph, had prepared.
Speaker 3: Me for the subtle, delicate charm and the beautiful modeling of that exquisite head. And I am not, I think without taste as a judge in such things. Yet that morning. The lovely cheek was paled with emotion. The eyes were bright, but with the brightness of fever of terror.
Speaker 4: How do you have my husband been yet? Yes, madam, why did you implore you to say nothing to him of.
Speaker 2: This visit of mine?
Speaker 5: Lady Hill, there, you placed me in a very delicate position that there was.
Speaker 4: A most deplorable occurrence to our house last night.
Speaker 2: Oh you must know.
Speaker 4: But but since it was a political matter, my husband refuses to take me into his coupeque confidence.
Speaker 2: Indeed, what is that missing paper? What is madam? That is something I cannot answer.
Speaker 5: If your husband thinks fit to keep you in the dark, it is harder for me to tell you. I am pledged a professional secrecy.
Speaker 4: Well tell me at least then, for Heaven's sake, is my husband's professional career likely to suffer through the incident. Yes, I fear so, mister Home, from something that my husband said when he first discovered the last this morning.
Speaker 2: I please go on.
Speaker 4: I understand the terrible public consequences might arise from the loss of this document, perhaps even what he said.
Speaker 2: So, Lady Hill, there, it is not for me to deny it.
Speaker 4: Won't you tell me miss Home, I implore you, what was that missing paper? Then to take up no more of your time. I can't blame you if you feel you can't speak more freely.
Speaker 9: The letter must have been very grave, indeed.
Speaker 2: Before you were ever consulted.
Speaker 4: And I am sure you won't need the worst of me for wanting to share my husband's anxiety, even against your will. I can only bid you once again to say nothing of my videos.
Speaker 9: It would only wody him the more good day.
Speaker 2: Well, well, wasn't that the fair Sex Watson? That is your department?
Speaker 5: I think when you finished gazing out of the window to get a last glimpse of our elegant charmer, perhaps you will be kind enough to tell me what you think she came for.
Speaker 9: Shure it showing her own statements was karing our holmes.
Speaker 12: Her anxiety was very natural, yes, doubt.
Speaker 5: Yet you must have observed how very pretty she maneuvered her chair so as to keep her death with the light. She didn't want us to read how expression was.
Speaker 2: And you said the same.
Speaker 3: About the woman from Margaret took him to see us a month ago. It turned out that she was wiled because she had no powder on her Those true, true, The motives of women are certainly inscrutable. It's difficult to build upon such quicksands. Their most important decisions.
Speaker 5: May depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling tongs. Well, good morning, Watson. Why what are you going homes?
Speaker 2: Oh, just for a little while. It took a dolphin street.
Speaker 5: I think our friendless trade of the yard is sure to be there by this time. Eduardo Lucas murdered. Fair lives the solution, Watson, do you stay on guard here, my dear fellow, and receive any further distinguished visitors who may honor our humble of those last time away. I'll join you for lunch, Watson, cutlets.
Speaker 2: And green peas, if you could think of that all day and the next day.
Speaker 3: Holmes was in a mood which some had called taciturn and others murros. He ran out and ran in, smoked, incessantly played his violin, sank into reveries, devoured sandwiches at irregular hours, and hardly answered the casual questions.
Speaker 2: I put to him.
Speaker 3: I felt a sense of impending doom as I watched London from our window going about his busy duties. I reflected that any moment the newsboys would cry, havoc and the flower of our youth.
Speaker 2: Go marching off to war.
Speaker 3: As to the murder of Glucas, that remained as much a mystery as the theft of the document.
Speaker 2: He'd been stabbed to the heart with a.
Speaker 3: Curved oriental dagger, a trophy that hung on the wall of his room. It seems that nothing had been stolen, and an examination of his papers disclosed him as a keen student of the international politics.
Speaker 2: That was all.
Speaker 5: Then suddenly, well we've solved it, mister Holmes, really, Less Trade, have you?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 11: I we have our.
Speaker 9: Methods to you know, he means the murder home, don'tly the murder?
Speaker 2: Ooh more, misters, mister Holmes, watch in the wind.
Speaker 5: He heard nothing nothing. Watson's just wool gathering. My dealer's sad or sal at home. Don't mention it, My dear fellow, sit down, won't you?
Speaker 2: Less Trade? Have a cigar?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, sir, I won't, if you'll forgive me.
Speaker 12: I was going to suggest we went round there to the Dolphins Street. There's a little something that might interest you. Ah, well, what's happened, Less Trade?
Speaker 5: I think you said just now that you've solved were as near as makes no matter.
Speaker 12: We'd a telegram from the Paris police to see. Seems this Lucas fellow has been a bit of a dog in his time, very handsome, kind of chapneis so forth he's been living a double life. It seemed he had a wife in Paris or your department again, my dear Watson, creole woman as a matter of.
Speaker 3: Fact, very hot blooded creoles here.
Speaker 2: You know what women alive, doctor Watson? Well perhaps, well the straight of what's happened.
Speaker 12: Well, he'd been going at a bit in London, you know, one way and another, so we reckon.
Speaker 2: She got jealous.
Speaker 12: According to the parish fellow, she's gone quite mad since Tuesday, and it was established that she'd been in London on the night of the murder. She was seen near Godolphin Street.
Speaker 2: Yes, as it could.
Speaker 5: Only have been some kind of coincidence like that, otherwise the thing would have been public property by this time.
Speaker 12: What is it, mister Holmes, strikes me, your mind's hardly all the business.
Speaker 2: I don't thought it would.
Speaker 5: Have appealed to you, nothing the straight, nothing at all. What was it you said just now?
Speaker 2: Might interest me over at Lucas's house.
Speaker 12: Ah, yes, the one small detail, mister Holmes, nothing very important, you know, just a bit freakish. We'd best go round to the house and i'll show you you too, doctor eh father in your line as well. Oh well, of course, you know, I might even call it the mystery of the sick and stainer. The murder solved, but there's still a mystery of the.
Speaker 2: Sick and stain.
Speaker 9: Eh.
Speaker 2: They come in this rounds the godolphins too.
Speaker 12: Now then, mister Holmes, doctor Watson, this is a very room you see where he was maddered.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Indeed, now look here to see the rug.
Speaker 12: Mister Holmes, Now just look at the rug, gentlemen. You see, when there's a crime of this sort, we're very careful.
Speaker 2: To keep things in position.
Speaker 12: We've had an officer in charge here dead.
Speaker 5: Night, but so I noticed him as we came in.
Speaker 2: Now we didn't notion to tidy.
Speaker 12: Things up of it today. Now the body has been buried and such an old thing solved. Well, the rug isn't fastened down here, see, only just made there.
Speaker 2: For we occasioned to raise it and we found the blood stain there.
Speaker 9: See the blad stain on the road.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I great deal of blad matter, so away undust the undusted it must.
Speaker 12: And yet you'll be surprised, doctor, for there isn't a stain on the white woodwork but needs to correspond. But there must be the trade. It's it's impossible. So you'd say to look at the underside of the rug, the stain of the atmosphe.
Speaker 9: Yep, there isn't a mark on the floor.
Speaker 2: What's what? Now? Let me give you the explanation. Doctor, There is a second stain you see. Look, let me move this other edge.
Speaker 12: Now, then there's the stain on the woodwork beneath another part of the rag altogether.
Speaker 2: What do you make of that? Eh?
Speaker 5: Come, homes, you don't seem to be tanger this. Oh, it's it's simple enough. Surely the two stains did correspond. But the rugs being turned round is he homes?
Speaker 2: We hardly need.
Speaker 5: Mister Holmes's famous methods to tell us.
Speaker 2: That doctor washing. Now I heard this trade. Didn't you say that the constable out there had been in constant charge of this place? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well to take my baseless train, go out and examine him privately. Don't do it here before us we'll wait in this room. Ask him how he dares to admit strange people and leave them alone in this room.
Speaker 2: No, no, don't ask him, tell him take it for granted. What by short?
Speaker 11: If he has, I'll get it out of him. You mean, I mean hurry man, right, sir, I'll do it at once now, then, Watson, in Heaven's name, get off that rug?
Speaker 2: What home?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 9: What do you mean the rug?
Speaker 2: Pull away the rug? Huh? Turn it right there? Huh?
Speaker 5: Now quick, examine the flaw underneath it. There must be a cavity here, cavity?
Speaker 2: What do you mean, Holmes? The boards man, the brawboards? Huh? Look for a loose one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've got it. What's more, it's a hole. It's a kind of kind of safe yah ah, but it's empty.
Speaker 2: I might have known.
Speaker 5: Get the rugged place again quickly, Watson, the straight's coming.
Speaker 2: Back, quick, quick, coming off. That's what well you are, right, mister Holmes, my person. He has confessed. I'm sorry, sir, I'm really sorry. I never meant any harm I never said you did. What happened?
Speaker 9: A young woman, sir, came to the door last night.
Speaker 2: It was and the stoke the house. She said, and then we got talking. It's kind of lonesome when you're inducing you know, well.
Speaker 5: Man, speak up. So she asked if she could see where the crime was done. I didn't see any harm if she just had a beep and she let her in here. Eh, well, she said, she's cooking way, sir. Then when she saw the blood you see, yes, yes, she kind of fainted, sir, right down on the rug here to tree indeed.
Speaker 2: And so you went to get some water. I suppose to bring her round.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, from the kitchen downstairs. And she was all right when I came back, and then she went away. I didn't mean any harm, sir, I don't know my person. Did you notice anything about the rug when you came back?
Speaker 2: Eh?
Speaker 5: The rag still it was a big kind of rumpled because she fell. So I just straightened exhorted. I see Macpherson, come over here, would you. I want to show you something. Just excuse me a moment, gentleman. Now look here, Macpherson, this photograph.
Speaker 2: You recognize it? Good lord? Yes, sir, how did you know? Never mind?
Speaker 5: Come Watson, thank you, Thank you, comfortable Macpherson. You've inspired me man, and perhaps you've saved your country too. Right, Look here, mister you too less trait of course, my best congratulations, Good day, gentlemen, congratulations, good day.
Speaker 2: I had it after him. He was at his most typical, He's most.
Speaker 3: Excited, as he was at the climax of all his great solutions. I could only marvel, could only share the excitement of the extraordinary man by my side as we were ushered into the Great House in Whitehall Terrace and waited for Lady Hilda.
Speaker 4: This is surely most unstair, and i'm i am told you to keep our business relations with secret.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, Lady Hilda, I had no possible alternative but to visit you in pursuit of my commission from the Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: How do you mean I know everything, Lady Hilda. I know of your visit to Eduardo Lucas when you gave him that document.
Speaker 5: I know two of your ingenious returned to his room last night, and the device which you used to get the letter back again from its hiding place under the rug.
Speaker 4: You're mad, mister Holmer.
Speaker 2: No, no, Lady Hilda, I have no wish to cause you pain or to reproach you for your rash behavior. But the policeman on duty recognized you from the photograph that I showed him. Yes, yes, it's true. Why did you take it? Madam? Quickly? Quickly?
Speaker 4: The time is short, Leckneil a letter I wrote long ago when I was a girl. It was all as understanding, but if it had come into my husband's hands, it would have broken his heart.
Speaker 2: Lucas got hold of that somehow.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had no idea. He was such a hands He always seems so charming. Then one day he told me that he had that letter of mine and.
Speaker 2: That I could only have a tacky.
Speaker 4: But I took him in exchange a certain documents from my husband's fetch box. That's any one you see on the dead there.
Speaker 2: Well, he said it was all quite harmless, that a kind of joke.
Speaker 4: I was nearly demented with sea. I took an impression of the key, and Lucas had a duplicate maid, and I.
Speaker 2: Took the paper to his house. And what happened there, Lady Hilda, It was like a horrible duty.
Speaker 4: As I went in, I saw a woman watching the house, a strange dark woman. I gave Lucas the paper and.
Speaker 2: He gave me my letter.
Speaker 4: Then there was a sound at the door, and Lucas pulled back the rug and pushed the paper into a hiding place there.
Speaker 2: And then the door burst open and the woman came in, the one I'd seen outside.
Speaker 4: She was screaming something about at last I found you with her. So I ran out in a panic, and the last I saw was that she snatched the dagger down from the wall and was rushing at him like a wild cat.
Speaker 2: To home. I can't go off. You must, lady Hilda.
Speaker 5: I suppose you realize next day if the paper was more important than you thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, that is why I came to you. I saw a ruined facing it, the whole world in arms because of my selfishness. And then I thought the Lucas did, the paper would still be in his hiding place. Don't you know how I went to the house again last night and got it back by a trick.
Speaker 2: Somebody is coming home, my husband. I know his deep Oh, I can't face him.
Speaker 4: What should I do?
Speaker 2: Told your story? Well, lady Hilda, quickly give me the letter and the key. Yes it is, thank you. Watson passed me the dispatch box.
Speaker 5: Now yeah, down among the other papers yet deep down, good, good, ah, we are ready for you.
Speaker 2: Go quickly, Lady Hilda, you have a door there. Compose yourself. All will be well. Heaven, heavens Lets you go me.
Speaker 5: Homes, my dear homes that was slended, splended. Oh, mister Holmes, they told me you're here.
Speaker 2: What news have you? I have good news, sir. What Lord Bellinger you here? You mean you have the paper, mister Holmes, Not yet, my lord, that is why I am here. What do you mean.
Speaker 6: I'm not convinced, mister Hope, that the paper has ever left this house at all, but it's impossible.
Speaker 2: If it had, it would have been made public by this time. No, gentleman, it's still here. I think you have my assurance that it left the box. Mister Holmes. I'm not convinced, ephen about who come? Miss? Joking is still timed. It's unworthy of you. The box is there, Hope.
Speaker 9: It's easily enough decided, mister Holmes.
Speaker 2: If you're joking on such.
Speaker 5: An issue, you never joke, Lord Bellinger, as doctor Watson will tell you in your serve.
Speaker 2: A spot from Lord Meadow and memorandum from bell Grade note from Madrid reports with my Lord, my Lord the Blue envelope.
Speaker 6: And the letter intact. It's inconceivable and you're a sorcerer, mister Holmes.
Speaker 2: How did you know it was there? Because I knew it could be no wall, I must tell my wife Hill. There hear them, my dear all will.
Speaker 7: Mister Holmes, Oh, mister sher Lock Holmes, there's more in this than meet the either.
Speaker 2: How did this gander?
Speaker 5: How you must allow us, Sir, to keep our little diplomatic secret.
Speaker 2: Good day to you, my lord. I am always at your service and at the service of my country. Come what.
Speaker 1: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, based on the original stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, have been dramatized on you, with original music composed by Sidney Cotch. Sir Ralph Richardson played the part of Doctor Watson and Sir John Gildgod that of Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 8: The program was produced by Harry Allen Towers, a
Speaker 4: Bold