Speaker 1: It's nice eyes.
Speaker 2: Undoing Mazy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, we're at the end of the week. It's the twentieth hour. A little bit of an abbreviated week for me. I was off Monday and Tuesday night. Again. Want to thank my friend Morgan White, who sat in on Monday and Tuesday night. Gave me a chance to spend a little bit of time relaxing. Next week, I'm here for the entirety of the week, and who knows, a lot of politics is going to be happening next week. The big story out of Washington tonight is that Pete hegstaff Seth, the former host of a show on Fox Fox and Friends, has now been nominated by the closest of margins by one vote, a tie breaking vote from Vice President Jay d Vance is now the United States Secretary of Defense. I'm sure we'll talk about that next week. But this is the twentieth Hours. So although we keep you up to date on what's going on politically, the same time, we try to sort of ease into the weekend here and this is this is what we do in the last hour of the week. We call it the twentieth hour. Again, for those of you who are new to the show. And by the way, we've had a whole bunch of new first time callers this week, which is great. I know many people say, I'm listening to you for a long time. I love to call earlier tonight. I'm trying to remember which call it was. Yeah, it was Joe and Braintree. Who's a thirty five year old Jose rather in Braintree, I think, who's a thirty five year old listener told me that he had called once before when he was eighteen, so that would be like seventeen years ago. But thank you for listening. Also, thank you for calling. As I have explained, I can sit here and talk for four hours. Wouldn't be a particularly interesting show if I did. But I rely upon you, the listeners, to joining the conversation. Sometimes, as we did last Hour, we had someone on who could potentially be of help to you. And I certainly hope that everyone who called last hour gets something out of it. And I know that everyone who called last Hour there are other people who were listening hove here in the North End. I do hope you're able to get the book, the audio version, because I think it would be something that would be good for you and those of you who are having trouble sleeping. I think it would be a book that you might do well to get. Again, it's it's available, and I'll just mention it one more time. It's a long title by doctor Sondra Dalton Smith Sacred rest, Recover your life, renew your energy, and restore your sanity. Now what am I gonna do? Last hour? You know my favorite eleven o'clock hour is always is always going to be brushes with celebrity. And guess what I I'm gonna do brushes with celebrity tonight. I'll tell you a couple of funny stories. But you can, you know you can. How shall I tell you this story? Look, every one of us at some point have met someone who we consider to be a true celebrity, whether they were a celebrity again, politician, movie star, or whatever. I I have a lot of funny stories. Most of them involve family members, and I don't want to embarrass family members, never to do that. But every I'm gonna get in trouble here. But but you know what, I don't, I don't, I don't care. I just think that Okay, I was away for a few days with with family members, including Mustard the dog who you've heard me or two and I'm gonna be in big trouble here. My daughter has an ability to spot celebrities. Okay, maybe some of you and your family have that ability, and she can get a quick glimpse of someone, and invariably she's right in the money, right in the money. One time we were on vacation and my daughter said to me. She's sitting across the table from me, and she said, do not turn around, which means she spotted someone. And I said, okay, who are you looking at? Don't turn around. I said, okay, I'm not going to turn around. And of course what did I do? I turned around? She said, but I think in the table just behind you is Solomond Rushty. He was the author of Satanic Verses, and he was the guy who was the subject of a horrific assassination assault a year year and a half ago. He wrote this book, Satanning Verses, which put him basically on a hit list for many many in the Muslim community who felt that he had slandered the prophet Muhammad. I've never read the book, so I don't know, but I do know that at that time they were what's called fatoise issued against him, and a fatois is a death penalty or a death sentence, as I understand it. Anyway, I of course turned around, and you know, I tried to do it as discreetly as possible, which I did, And sure enough I wish, in retrospect that I had after dinner was over, had approached him and talked to him. I didn't. I regret that because I do think that he's somebody who was courageous and a writer, and he would have been interesting to talk to. But my daughter has this ability. So last week we were we had a few days, my family and I and all of a sudden, at a table just to the left of us, out of earshot was my daughter. I could see her looking very quickly. Actually, what happened was a waitress dropped a plate, and and of course whatever there's a noise, people always tend to look. And in that instant, my daughter not only looked, but she saw within her line of sight pretty famous Hollywood actor. And he was the star in the movie about Elvis Presley Austin Butler, Uh and I have seen the movie and really good actor and quite accomplished actor, but no one approached him or anything like that. There were a couple of people who asked him for his autograph. No one asked me for my autograph. That's no one knew who I was, which was great, not that they would have asked for my autograph anyway. But the point is that there are certain people who can spot celebrities. And of course all of you have at some point interacted with a celebrity, which is the way that I'm going to just introduce this and I invite you to join the conversation here and let's have some fun going into the weekend. Your celebrity might be an actor. Your celebrity might be a movie star. Your celebrity might be a politician. Your celebrity might be a writer. I could be any number of things. There are lots of celebrities in this world, a varying magnet, dudes. But I will bet within my audience tonight, we're going to have some very interesting stories. So without any further ado, we're going to open up. You know, Rob, we should really have a theme song for this Brushes with Celebrity. We do have a couple of themes, but we got to come up with the Brushes with Celebrity theme song, and Rob, you're good at this, think about it. Maybe we'll come up with something we won't do. We don't do this every Friday night. We don't do it even we do it about three or four times a year. So let's hear your story. Who is your brush with Celebrity? Six one seven, two four thirty six, one seven, nine three one ten thirty. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. Who have you met? And we always like to add as a caveat tell us the good, the bad, and the ugly. If the person was really nice to you, you know, give them credit. If someone was not nice to you, me can tell us the story.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And if someone really was nasty to you, you can tell us that story. So open the lines up, Rob, let's get it going. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three to one ten thirty. Your brush, your meeting with celebrity? Give us a call. We'll coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side stwo years. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, we're off to a slow start, but that's fine. We're gonna start it off with Steve and Shrewsbury. Steve, Welcome to Nightside. And who is your brush with celebrity?
Speaker 5: Steve Hi dan Well, I have one, two, three, four, five six seven. I think I've told you about two celebrities I've brushed wood.
Speaker 6: One was Dwight.
Speaker 5: Evans back in nineteen eighty nine, last game of the season. I went in with a chaplain down in the clubhouse for a little service before the game, and Dwight brought me into the weight room and at twenty seventy years old, with a new infant and a wife, he asked me about my life, and nobody's ever done that before.
Speaker 3: So that was Dewey, Great Dwight Evans, who I have met, a class act, I mean just and should be in the Hall of Fame in my.
Speaker 7: Opinion, Yes he should.
Speaker 5: And he went to He goes to the church where I used to go to, Calvary Christian Church in Lynfield. I think I've told you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a great player and a great and he and his wife are both great, great folks. Who else you got?
Speaker 5: So when I delivered to Dana Fober Oh, I don't know, probably the nineties you have to go up the stairs to the dark. And who comes out and grabs the paper out of the kiosk was Rico Petrocelli, who was my brother's hero when he played My Brother's sixty eight today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, cap what you brought. What's your brother's name, first name? Will give him a shout out, Mike, Mike, all right, if mike's listening, you can tell him we gave him a big happy birthday sellow shout out. And Rico Petrocelli great.
Speaker 5: Guy too, by the way, Oh he is. Yes, they're both Christians, so they're wonderful people born again, so I have that in common with him.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: In Newton, my ex wife's cousin, Kurt, he went to this school in Newton and they had they had a Robert Parrish there that night. So my ex wife now and myself had a picture with Robert, and my ex wife had her arm in the picture. You know, he's so tall, seven feet and it looked like she had her hand on his butt, you know, could be so tall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 5: I'm at a hotel in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, going to a meeting, and who comes out to the car with a Oriental friend. I don't know if it's his wife or not, but is the host of Dancing with the Stars. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom worked at Channel four. I knew Tom a little bit. We were kind of were working off hours. But he's done very very well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I love him too. So when I first came down in nineteen eighty five, this gal a friend that I met. She took me through Harvard Square and I said to her, I said, that's Jim Rice on the sidewalk. So I popped my head out of the window and waved to him, and he was nice enough to wave back to me, and I thought that was pretty I must.
Speaker 3: Be a sports fan to to because you mentioned Rico, Dwight Evans, and Robert Parrish and Jim Rice. So those are four really pretty good guys and well known athletes here in Boston. My favorite Rico story, My favorite Rico story. We were sitting together at an event and he was telling me that when he was a rookie, he was batting again. It's White Wilhelm, who's a Hall of Fame pitcher. I don't know. He must remember that you were White Wilhelm, and Wilhelm was a grizzled veteran at this point, and Rico was a rookie. This would have been sixty six maybe and maybe sixty five, but apparently old gets to three and two. And Wilhelm, who was a knuckleball pitcher, tried to just sneak a fastball by Rico, uh you know, which he is, a grizzled veteran, was trying to just you know, sneak one by him, and Rico turned on and put out and put it up in the next home run, and he said as he ran around the bases, Wilhelm was was screaming at him with all sorts of words we can't say on the radio, and informing him that he will never ever again in his entire career see a fastball from White.
Speaker 1: Wilhelm exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: You know when you played, when you played baseball after high school, you know, they get all exposure to the pros, but it's not any different than you know, pick up baseball. Just just the the memories and the things that said, somebody hits a home run off you. I've been through so many experiences like that, and Tangway when I call them last Friday, I said, all right, Gary, I said, I have a famous quote, and I need.
Speaker 4: You to tell me who said it. He goes, Oh boy, I go. I couldn't run very fast, but could I talk? He said me, I go exactly away.
Speaker 3: Famous quote I can put in the back of my mind. Hey, Steve, I gotta keep rolling here, so gonna let you run. No, no, no, no, I got to keep going. Man. I know, I'm sure it's going to be another baseball player. All right, doctor leader, thank you, all right, let me go next to Mike is in Canton. Mike, who's your brush with celebrity?
Speaker 7: Well, actually it was it was too It was Dick Cheney and Ted Copple, and so.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting combination. Tell me tell me about those two.
Speaker 7: Well, my company was we were working in in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, and and so we we were we were powering up uh communication sites with generators and so we had we had run into some I think they were the New Yorker l a fireman, and they were saying they was we were walking they were walking to the Harrot's Hotel, which is like downtown New Orleans, and they and they said there was food over there. And of course we hadn't eaten in a few days any good meals. So we came. We followed them, and we went around the corner and up the stairs and there was a whole bunch of reporters all standing in the circle and with these like long sticks that they hold microphones on.
Speaker 3: Yeah and audio audio booms ahead, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So so one of the MP's was standing there, so I said, oh, who's over there? And he says, oh, it's Cheney And I said oh, And I tried to get a look, but there were so many people. I was no way I'm going to see him. So off to left. Off to my left was was like a buffet and there was like a whole bunch of hamburgers and cheeseburgers and stuff. And then there was this ice cold mountain dew. And I went in a hurricane zone and ice is kind of rarety, you know, it's getting something old. So I saw all that, and as they started walking over there, there was this short guy with kind of a funny ido and it was like it was Ted Copple. So I just said, oh, hi, and I said Hi to Ted. He said hi back, and I grabbed the mountain dew and then next thing, you know, I looked up and Dick Cheney was walking with his wife tour the Humbie and he said to me, oh, son, can you pass me one of those? And I handed him a mountain dew and it was just so amazing. He was like two feet away from me. And then Ted Copple looked at me and he just you just left up my because he was standing alone in the corner, Yeah, trying to catch Ted as he got into the truck. I didn't even know. I was so like just naive about it, but yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Did so did was did Cheney blow Copple off? Was was Copple all set to sort of what we would call it an ambush interview and stick the microphone in his face and all.
Speaker 7: Of that, Yep, exactly, And then like Ted just I mean, he just he started to say something and Dick Cheney and his wife just get into the hummer and left.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, Cheney was was never the most cooperative politician. He was sort of the anti politician in the sense that he was not someone who was particularly gracious, uh generally. And I think the demeanor that that you saw on TV was was what you got. I had one interesting exchange with Cheney back in ninety six when he actually was thinking of running for president was a very short lived presidential campaign, and he wanted nothing to do with the media. And uh, you know, I feel that any person who's running for president who wants to avoid the media probably is not long long for the race. And you know, he's sort of the he's sort of the antithesis of of Bill Clinton and Donald Trump. The thing about Clinton and Trump and their success is they both love the cameras. They love to be in front of the camera, and they're both good at it, whether you agree or disagree with either one of them. And they both you know, had their own shall we say, they're with their own you know, personal personal flaws if you get on drift. But but they they loved the camera, they loved the attention. And that's why I think both Bill Clinton and Donald Trump were successful politicians. Well, Dick Cheney was was the vice president of the United States for our two terms, but he was a vice president only because George Bush, who also was fairly was a very friendly guy, not quite as as friendly as as Trump, and uh in Clinton, President Trump and President Clinton. So that's you. You you got a you got a kind word out of Big Cheney. That was better than that was more than I got from him.
Speaker 7: Well, he was asking me. He was asking me for something, I guess. But you know what, you know, no one known his resume, his background. He was just a really he was a really good behind the scenes type person.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: He was always in the back. He was always in the back. He was never really a public out front.
Speaker 3: And like, you're right, we've been a congressman. He had been, he had been a congressman and and uh he was. He was close to the Bush family, and he became vice president once George Bush, you know, George W. Bush won the nomination in two thousand and set up the Bush v. Gore race. Mike, I appreciate the call. Those are two good ones. I'm sorry that you disappointed Copple, but I'm glad you had a chance to share a word or two with Dick Cheney. He called your son. You must have been very young at the time.
Speaker 7: Well I was in my forties.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, maybe maybe everyone to Dick Cheney looked like a son. I don't know. Hey, thanks, Mike, appreciate you call. Talk soon. Okay, great, week Thank you, all right, good night, we're doing brushes with celebrity. Come on, now, let's light these lines up. Okay, this is one that never misses. People like to hear your stories. You like to sit and listen to other people's stories. Steve and Shrewsby talked about some athletes Dick Dwight, Evans, Rico Petrocelly, Robert Parrish, and Tom Berger on longtime WBZ TV personality and now of course host of Dancing with the Stars, and Mike talked about Ted Copple and Dick Cheney meeting them all in a period of about sounded like thirty seconds. Right place, right tod six, seven, two, five, four ten, thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I like to call it the good, bad, and the ugly. If you had a good experience with someone, give them a shout out. If you had a bad or an ugly experience, you're gonna let us know that as well. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside, coming right back right after this quick news break at the bottom of the hour, as we'll take you to the weekend. Okay, and this is a this is a topic that never misses for me. So light it up, folks, coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: If you're on night Side with Dan Ray on waz Boston's news radio, we.
Speaker 3: Now have full lines. Perfect. Let's go to Alice in Beverly. Alice, who's your Brushwood celebrity?
Speaker 7: Hi Alice, Yes, hi hand.
Speaker 9: I haven't called for a while, but I'm a professional spectator, So I'm going to tell you one of my early stories. When I was in high school and I went to a Celtics game and I never thought that there was any problem with me walking right down to the bench, you know from the second when they use to have a second balcony, because you see, I was important, and they didn't have the police in front of the you know, the players. And I went right up to Bob Coosey, tapped him on the back and I just said, oh, I know you class at fifty three. You graduated with father Malaukeey. My father was class of thirty five. Could you sign my program.
Speaker 7: And pass it down and have the other guys sign it?
Speaker 9: So it was Casey Jones, Sam Jones, I can't even remember who all the people that were signing it, and stupid me, I gave it to my my friend's brother, I mean, and he he gave it away or something. But you know, it's only an autograph.
Speaker 3: You know what. I'm not going to tell you how much that would be worth today. Okay, I'm not even going to attempt to break your heart. So wasec you did this during the game?
Speaker 9: Yes, well the games, and my friends was saying they could see me because they had a red purse. So they're up in the second balcony and they see me. I walk right down like I belonged there. And after all, I know mister Koozy because he wasn't the Holy Cross, so he's not gonna say anything to me, like you know, and I was very polite and you know when I had him found it. But then I got to know Casey Jones later on when he was a coach, because I used to go to this this bar that he was at and we used to get him a drink, you know, before a game, and we got him his birthday is May twenty fifth, we'd buy him a cake because I when I had money when I was working.
Speaker 3: The Last was this the Last Rabbi?
Speaker 9: I don't think that was the name of it. It was kind of across and I can't. It's awful, but I can't remember.
Speaker 3: When you get house. But it might have been near the near.
Speaker 9: The garden, right near the garden. It was right near the garden.
Speaker 3: Okay, and might have been the force. I mean, there's a whole bunch of great bars down there.
Speaker 9: There's no no to the to the Scotch and Serlo. And one time I gave one of the guys they didn't have they didn't have after dinner mints there, so I brought my own and I'm in the elevator and a couple of the players said, where'd you get those? I said, I brought them myself, and they said, oh, could we have one?
Speaker 3: Good for you? Good for you? Alice love the story. I've never talked to anyone who was able to get the Celtics during the game to autograph a program.
Speaker 7: That's a great story that they were doing that.
Speaker 9: Well, then you know, well.
Speaker 3: They probably weren't drawing big crowds because the Celtics. I'm assuming that this was sometime in the sixties, if you're talking Sam and.
Speaker 9: Casey jonesph because I was in yeah, because I was in high school all right, graduated sixty six. But you know, the real people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt and Alice, you were pretty important that day. People my just said, who's Alice?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 3: Right? They have a great weekend, Happy New Year, Alice. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, thanks, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Go to Donna in Methuen Hi, Donna, welcome next on Nightside.
Speaker 8: Hi Dan, Hi Dan. I worked for seventeen years for this man in the nursing home industry who was very politically inclined. He was the chairman of the DNC for a while, and he was very involved in Bill Clinton's campaigns. He and his wife were very friendly with Bill and Hillary. In fact, they stayed in the Lincoln bedroom. They visited the White House and stayed in the Lincoln bedroom. He called me in the office and said, I'm in the Lincoln bedroom sitting on Lincoln's bed. Anyway, I went to Bill Clinton's sixtieth birthday party in New York City. He my boss, gave me a ticket from myself and for my daughter. We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria hotel and we went to Bill Clinton's sixtieth birthday.
Speaker 3: Patty, I'm guessing I think Clinton was born in forty.
Speaker 7: Seven, forty six.
Speaker 3: I think forty six. Okay, so that would have been.
Speaker 7: I think younger than me two and six.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was around Yeah, it was around then. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I've met I've met Clinton several times, interviewed him many times. Always found him to be, uh, you know, an easy guy to talk with obviously, you know. Yeah, oh, I remember being in New York. And by the way, I'm just double checking here because I think you're absolutely right. Bill Clinton was born in Oh I got it. Where is it here? Come on, we're supposed to have all that. He was born in August nineteen, nineteen forty six. Nineteenth, nineteen forty six.
Speaker 8: You think you're younger than I am. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, so, how big was the birthday party? The sixtieth birthday party at the Waldorf? It was?
Speaker 8: It was it was big. It was big. I mean we got we got all dressed up. It was a really big deal.
Speaker 3: Good. Yeah, good for you. That's a great And.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I used to talk to Judge Stephanopoulos on the phone all the time. He was always calling my boss.
Speaker 3: Who was your boss?
Speaker 1: Jack?
Speaker 8: Alan Alan Solomon?
Speaker 3: I know who Alan Solomon is. He just he just finished up as an ambassador. If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 7: Yes he was.
Speaker 8: He was ambassador to Spain for in Barack Obama's administration. But I didn't work for him any longer. I worked for him for seventeen years until he sold U. I mean he started out with four nursing homes and ended up I don't know how many he had when he sold the company, like fifty. So yeah, it was, yeah, it was. It was an interesting It was an interesting job that I had. I spoke with Terry mccaulliffe all the time, you know, Terry mccaulliff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, former governor of Virginia.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, Yeah, you were.
Speaker 3: You were in some in some interesting that's for sure.
Speaker 8: And I was never a political person.
Speaker 7: I was not political.
Speaker 8: We used to run fundraisers, not not my favorite thing to do, but anyway, we were successful.
Speaker 3: But but Solomon, you know, Alan Alan Solomon is still your you know, around your age. He was born in nineteen forty nine, right, Yeah, he served.
Speaker 8: He taught it tough, and he taught it tough too. Yeah. Policy yeah, when he retired from the nursing home industry. Nice guy, nice, nice, great boot.
Speaker 3: He's doing very very well for himself, that's for sure. Well, thank you so much. I hope you you d did to sign an autograph of the program that night, because that could be worth something.
Speaker 8: You know what I didn't, But you know what I do have from his inauguration, and I have it right on the cod that it came on was a saxophone with the date of the inauguration. I don't know. I don't know who'd be interested in that hanging on my refrigerator.
Speaker 3: You have his saxophone or or it's a.
Speaker 8: Little gold it's a little gold saxophone pin and it was on it was on a cod and it had the date of the inauguration on it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, hold on to that. There are people who collect stuff like that.
Speaker 8: Someday retirement, Well that would wouldn't that be nice? Okay, have a good night, Dan, you tube.
Speaker 3: Great talking with you. Good night. All right. Let me see when we get We'll get one more in here. We're not gonna make people wait. Let me go to Christian in Peabody. Christian you were next one night side welcome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or good to talk with you, breaking short because you got others. But I was a latchmith for Triple A. This is going back to the nineties and I think it was the second season of the Superman series when they did the TV thing. And anyway, I'm working on his car and I'm having a hard time. It's like, oh bo and this guy comes out with a martini. He says, how's it going. I said, I need Superman to get this lockworked on. I can't see through the ivy because oh, he said aside. Anyway, over the next couple of hours.
Speaker 11: I had this cast one by one, growing in crowds and they're all trying to convince me that they are Superman Lex Luthor and I wasn't a Hollywood buff. I didn't know.
Speaker 6: And then at the end of all this and they're all pretty well with They're having to celebrate the Soults and I'm just like, yeah, yeah, whatever, and I have to run the card. And when I called the number and the call for the card it's something in New York and he says, oh, well, you can't have anything from them, and he explains me, really are and I'm like what. I was like, Oh my goodness, I spent two hours with this cast and they were so enthralled. Was just because I was.
Speaker 8: Not no.
Speaker 3: Hold on Christian hold on for a second, First of all, when you say you were triple A, yeah, someone had locked the keys in the car.
Speaker 6: I assume no, they had lost the keys and I had to make a key.
Speaker 3: So they lost the key.
Speaker 6: Right, and I had to create the key by taking a part of door.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, whose car wasn't Who's whose car was it? Actually?
Speaker 6: I don't remember. It was so long ago, but it was just hilarious. Now I had one by one, the proud is growing, Lex Luthor, Lois Layne, Superman, all these people were here. I'm just like, I'm just like, okay.
Speaker 7: That's so.
Speaker 3: This wasn't like a cost This wasn't a costume party. This was actually some sort.
Speaker 6: Of it was it South Boston and it was a really big place that was off the main I didn't even know what exist until But.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying is was this like a costume party where people are walking out? Or was this a cast party?
Speaker 7: This was a cast party. So the cast was fair.
Speaker 3: So that's the real What to say is that's that's that's the that's that's the that's the real deal. That's a great story.
Speaker 6: Christian and I did not get a single autograph. I was just so imbattased when I really talk call in New York that they really are.
Speaker 3: Did you find did you finally were you able to create a key?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I gotta I gotta take a new job.
Speaker 3: You did your job. I like you know what you were. You were superman to actually you you did something which was amazing. Christian, this is your first time call on my show. If I ever talked to you before.
Speaker 6: You will, Yes, You're have on multiple occasions over the years.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for being loyal to this program. I really enjoyed the conversation. Happy New Year, my friend, you too. Thanks Christian. I were gonna get everybody in the other side of the break. I have Dan and Ipswich, Ed and Quincy Rick and Bill Ricca. I might be able to get you if you want to call. There's a couple of lines six one seven, six seven nine back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, we got four calls. Let's see if we can get them all in. Won't be easy. Let's start off with Ed and Quincy Ed next on Nightside, go right ahead.
Speaker 10: Hey, danil it's been a long time. I finally got around calling you back.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you very much, Ed welcome. What's you Brushwood celebrity here?
Speaker 10: Well, one of my many brushes. It was Julie Numar, whom I met at a corn a while back. And I know cat because Catwoman. Do you talk to her? You had her as a guest on your show, and I actually called in and it was one of the lucky to you who got in.
Speaker 3: That was the Catwoman, Julie Numar, right.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, she was pushing her book at the time, and she you had her as a phone in guests on your show. So yeah, I met her at Megafest con about maybe eight years ago. She was with Adam Weston Bert Ward and she was one of the Oh yeah, and she was extually as Catwoman and so gracious as a guest and uh and and and I got a picture of her with me and uh so that was one of probably one of my favorite brushes.
Speaker 3: A beautiful a beautiful woman. And a buddy of mine who played with the Yankees stated her for a while.
Speaker 10: No kidding, Yeah, and you know she's ninety one years old and she's still kicking, and she's still active and she she she's gardens and she she's she's she she does a want. She's a very active woman for her age.
Speaker 3: That's one. Julie Numar. I never met her, but did have her on the show. And I'm not going to tell you who she dated, but that's uh, but I know about it. Well, well, she was celebrities.
Speaker 10: She was. She was probably one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: All right, and great, save save more for the next time, because I got three more callers were going to try to sneak in as well. Thank you, thank you checking in, and I appreciate it very much. Let me go next to Rick and Bill, Rick of Rick, got you and two more, go right ahead, Rick, all right.
Speaker 12: I'll go fast. I remember meeting mL Carr when I was working at Benicans and framing him when I was going to the Framingham State and he came in and I was just I was dumbfounded because they yeah, this is like nineteen ninety one or something, and he had they won many championships at Burt McHale, all those guys, and he was there and I remember just saying thanks for all you, you know, for doing such a great job. And I, you know, I know, they made him a cheerleader. Oftentimes he wasn't playing a lot, but I said to him, I have a card to you on the pistons and he and he laughed. And then the other story, so that was great to meet m L. And then the other story is real fast. Bob Lobell was doing something, some motivational thing. He went to the Burlington High School in like eighty one or eighty two, and I remember meeting He brought with him some sports players. One of the guys was Vegas Ferguson of the Patriots, I believe, yeah, running back and I got to meet him and got an autograph, and I got to say hello to Bob. And he have those commercials out where he was taking his mother alone.
Speaker 3: Bob. Bob was a great friend. He was a colleague of minut Channel four for many years, and you know, he used to live We worked together on every opening day and we always had a lot of fun with it. I was there early in the day and would do the noontime live shot. He was a great guy. He still is. He's a great guy. Talk. I'll have to have him on some night in the not too distant future and get people an opportunity to talk with him.
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, I'll ask him about that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 12: It was a lot of fun. And ask him about the I'll ask him about the mother in law commercials. I can't remember exactly what it was.
Speaker 3: I remember those two, I do remember those. We had great promotions departments in WBZ back in the day. Oh hey, Rick, I got to get two more into was a great guy too. Thank you much. Let's keep rolling. You're going to go to Dan and Ipswich. We want to save some room for Diana and addlebro Dan and Ipswich.
Speaker 1: Go right ahead, Dan, Hi, Dan, Yeah, I was. I'm making my bush for celebrity. I was working in northern New Hampshire teaching about nineteen ninety one. Took a summer job, seasonal job a bunch of college students, other teachers, and the last day we all met together and this person came up to pick up his daughter who was a college student, and she introduced me and he said, I'm Peter Benchley.
Speaker 10: And I looked at him and.
Speaker 3: He said Jaws, the writer, the author of Jaws.
Speaker 1: Right, older people remember, but and he looked at me and said, because he obviously I was taking aback a little bit, and that's right, he says Peter Benchley. All I said, I think was I read the book, but fast forward to the Ipswich speech and forty four years later, whatever number of years it is, I was taking time off because I always do that after Labor Day because the water temperatures is pretty warm down the Hipswich speech and I went down and there's a sign no swimming, and I thought it was e coli or something.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you heard. We had shark sightings for the for the first time in about one hundred years. That's hips.
Speaker 3: So they they brought it all together. Josh.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to say, is it was no longer a story. It was fun gay call.
Speaker 10: Great great.
Speaker 3: I didn't get down.
Speaker 1: There before the shark sidings, right, but okay, thanks Dan.
Speaker 3: Be Happy new Year, Happy New Year, Dan. Okay, all right, last call of the night. We're gonna sneak in under the wire. We did it. We had some good ones tonight, folks, Diane and Attleborough. You did not disappoint me. Tonight, folks, Diane. You're gonna wrap it up. Gret ahead, Hi.
Speaker 13: My brush was celebrity was kind of a local celebrity. It was back in the late eighties. It was mosy to both of the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, running.
Speaker 13: I stopped at a light in at Broke. I had my two boys in the car. It was a big band was up behind me. And this is kind of interesting because he approached me. He started They started flashing their lights, keeping their horn. I didn't know who they were. I just thought two big guys and the fuck. I was like, I'm not stopping for thee guys. Yeah, and uh. I went through the light. They kind of kept were consistent about it. I thought, maybe there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 7: With my car.
Speaker 13: I pulled over. Ye, and he had seen the two boys in the car and we had a New England Patriots bumper sticker on the car and he wanted to give me a team pitcher.
Speaker 3: Wow. Well that's that's that's a good guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good guy.
Speaker 3: I think his son played in the in the NFL as well. Dan, thank you so much. That was a great We said good stories tonight. That was a good one. Happy New Year, Diane, appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 13: Thanks to you too.
Speaker 3: All right, Rob, what do we get left here? Give me a time? All right? We got thirty perfect under the wire. Everybody done for the night, done for the week. I'm back Monday night. You can listen to night Side and Demand all weekend. If you want to listen to this or any other hour, Rob will have it posted at nightsideundeman dot com. My name is Dan ray want to thank Rob. I want to thank Marita and Karen Boussemi. Today, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pale Charlie Rayes, who passed fifteen years ago on February. That's why your pets are who passed. They loved you and you love them. You do We'll see them again, and I do believe you'll see them again. Thanks so much of a great weekend. Everyone. Stay warm.