Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray w Bzoston's Radio.
Speaker 2: A couple of notes here, if I could very quickly points of personal privilege, if I'd be so kind, if you'd be so kind. We got some of our shows on Monday night, some of our hours on Monday night got posted, and then they for some reason were taken down for a few hours. So I just want to call to your attention that on Monday night, from eight until nine and then from nine until ten, we did two hours with the admissions directors, Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard University, Harvard College and Grant Goslin, the admissions direct admission director at Dean of Admission at Boston College. If you have had had any trouble, had any trouble finding those two hours, there's a lot of information in both of those hours, between the phone calls, the question that I have asked, but also the answers that were given by Bill Fitzsimmons and Grant Gosling. They're invaluable if you have children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews who are in the eighth, ninth, tenth, even as late as the eleventh grade, as they begin to prepare thinking about what colleges they might like to apply to, or if they want to apply to college, if they're going to take a year off and maybe wait a year, and there's all sorts of options. But the point is that those two hours Monday nights eight and Monday nights nine o'clock hour, they're now both posted. They're up there, so please take advantage of those. In addition, the last event scheduled event that we have this year is what we call the Night Side Charity Combine, and which we give all sorts of charities an opportunity to appear in the show free of charge and they can talk about what their charity tries to accomplish now I know it in the eight o'clock hour. Over the year, there are many of various charities that we have talked about, we have given you information on. But if you're in one of those and you'd like to have a second bite of the apple on Friday night, twentieth of December, just you got to get in contact with us. Tonight's the last night. We're going to start to pull the schedule together tomorrow, So after tomorrow morning, by nine o'clock ten o'clock, we're going to shut down the application. So if you were involved in a charity, particularly if you're somebody who's running a charity, you have to if you would like to be on the show. You do it all from the comfort of your home telephone. You don't have to drive to a studio. I broadcast remotely. We'll interview you via telephone. There's no inconvenience whatsoever. It gives you an opportunity to highlight your charity's efforts for our audience. You do not have to be a charity from the greater Boston area. We have charities. We've had charities from as far away as Wisconsin in prior years. Most of them ninety five percent of them are from New England and probably ninety percent of them are from within eastern Massachusetts. But we try to be as flexible as possible. Here's what you have to do. You need to send me an email, and please don't send me an email that says I've heard about a great charity in Springfield. I'm not sure what the name is. But no, we do not make calls out. If you're involved in a charity and you want to be on the show, or you want a representative of your group to be in the show. You have to either say hey, I'm willing to go. You call you send us an email and I'll give you that in a moment, or you find the president of the group who's going to go on or whatever. We don't want to get involved in any of the internescing and warfare within the charity, So I don't want to be told by some person, well that person wasn't authorized. No, keep it simple. All you have to do is either call me or call Marita Marita aka Lightning, our producer during the day. Rob, you have my number and you have Marita's number directly direct there. Okay. If anybody calls in uh, and if you could also give them the email address. My email is Dan Ray at iHeartMedia dot com. Marita's is a little longer. Rob has her email as well, so believe me, if you called after nine o'clock tomorrow, we're gonna stay. Sorry, We've announced it several times. You missed it. Uh, it comes Mustard the Dog to say good night. I Mustard, how are you. Yes, I am on the I'm on the phone. Yeah, I will call you. Yeah, I'm on the radio right now. Okay, yeah, okay, Bye, Mustard. Okay, all right, that's what live radio was all about. When you're broadcasting remotely and your daughter San Francisco walks in with her beautiful corky. I don't know how that sounded, Rob, but that was That was radio Verite doesn't get any more real than that. So if anyone is interested to call, Rob will give give you my direct line or Marita's direct line. But you gotta call in by tomorrow morning. I'll put the deadline tomorrow morning and tomorrow noontime. Simple as that. If you call it twelve oh one, it's going to be too late. So I hate to do this to you, but we have to. We have to put this together. We will notify you, tell you exactly what time you'll be on, and we will put you on the radio with us, and you can talk about what your charity does, what your charity might need most. Most charities are always looking for more volunteers. Some need more funding. You can make your pitch, you can give your website and spread the word, simple as that. Okay, Now I want to talk this hour. We have three subjects that I'd like to talk about tonight. First hour, I'd like to talk about the arrival of cannabis cafes pot cafes here in Massachusetts. Look, marijuana is now legal. It's a little different than alcohol from the point of view that everybody knows. You can go to a restaurant and order a drink, unless it's not a dry town. There are still a few towns in Massachusetts where you have to bring your own or whatever. But most restaurants, most communities order drink before dinner, with dinner, after dinner, whatever you want. There are bars you can go to. Everybody knows that. Okay, you can drink it home. You can't drink on the street. You're not supposed to be walking down the street with an open container. I think you know that. You're certainly not supposed to drive. Pot now is legal in Massachusetts. It's been legal, I guess for eight years now. First it started off as medicinal, and now it's whatever you want, go to a pot shop by the pot, enjoyed in the privacy of your own home or your backyard, I guess. But now the next step is this cafe. So are you looking forward to that? I assume there's going to be a lot of people going to say, hey, no, I'd like to be able to go out and as opposed to having a drink with friends, go out and smoke some cannabis. I'd love to know what you think about this and how it's and there are still regulations that have to be developed. We'll talk about that. That's the topic this hour. Next hour, we're going to talk about whether or not jaywalking should be well not legalized. I mean, it's it's it's basically decriminalized in Massachusetts. Okay, we'll talk about that, and then later on tonight, I'd like to explain to you that Congress has yet to act, has yet to act on a piece of legislation which would make sure that AM radio remains in automobiles produced in this country. We'll get to that later. So let's talk on the other side of the break here about cannabis. Uh, you don't have to be a pot smoker to think it's a good idea. You might think, hey, you know, if I have a right to go and have my course lights at a bar or at a restaurant, why shouldn't other people be able to go and smoke whatever they want to smoke. I mean, it's interesting that cigarettes have long been Now what at least twenty years there was this you can't have you can't smoke at a restaurant. Remember that, leave the Lucky strikes and the Campmeel's at home, whatever, the Winston's, whatever, you smoke. I'm not a smoker. So my father was a big smoker, but he went cold turkey when the Surgeon General's report came out, and thank god he did. So we'll talk about that. I'm going to open up the phone lines. I want to get a sense of my audience. Are you concerned about this or do you welcome it? Six seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. And you know it may be that someone's gonna call me up and say, hey, look, I'm a pot smoker. I'm not. But someone might call up and say, I'm a pot smoker. I'm a regular pot smoker, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of going to a bar. So I'll bet you we're going to get people, I hope, on both sides of this issue who have a different relationship with marijuana. I don't think it's going to break down the anti marijuana line or the pro marijuana line in my opinion, but It's up to you to prove me right or prove me wrong. Six months, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six months, seven nine thirty back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the window World light Side Studios on WBZ, the news radio.
Speaker 2: My daughter has a beautiful cooky dog. I gotta tell you, just an amazing dog. I literally am broadcasting and she opened the door. She thought it was on a phone call. I was like, hey, you know, I do a radio show. Anyway. It was a never had that happen before, but it was. It was fun, it was it was radio and it's most real. Okay, so you know the question. The question is cannabis cafes in Massachusetts. They will be once they are opened, and they're available widely. I mean, it's just not gonna be one in downtown Boston and in Springfield. I'm sure they're gonna pop up in many locations, and there are rules and regulations to be written. And we're not talking about being able to go somewhere this weekend. But I'll tell you a year from now, I'll bet you'll be able to go to any of the number of places, and some of them will be in coordination with yoga studios. I mean, there's a whole world here that's going to be unveiled. But I want to hear what you think. Let's go first to Bobby in West Virginia. Bobby, I know you're not in Massachusetts, but you called in early and be well, then happy to get your point of view on this. Go ahead, Bob.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. You know, the Constitution only has eighteen things that the federal government has purview over, and I don't see how they got their hands and everything. And I think it's perfectly legitimate. People want to, you know, smoke weed or whatever. That's up to them. As long as they don't cause any accidents or cause any trouble with it, that's pervaltly fine with me. I think the federal government's gone way, way overboard, and I think it's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, Bob, because even though marijuana is legal in Massachusetts, it's not legal under federal standards.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The Feds are not alcohol, tobacco, firearms or whatever they're not, or the DEA agents are not going to break into pot shops. But there's a lot of people who when they opened up cannabis businesses here. They had trouble getting loans from banks because banks, I think, are still hesitant to give law owns to marijuana establishments because there is it's still outlawed as a on the books federally. So so let me ask you. Are you somebody who who in vibes or are you just somebody who's open minded and saying, hey, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm I'm basically a libertarian. I don't believe in access to authority by the federal government.
Speaker 2: The group.
Speaker 3: What do we do with our private lives. It's perfectly okay. I don't care what my neighbor does as long as they don't do anything to harm me or you know, whatever they're doing is fine with me.
Speaker 2: So let me run this one by you. Here in Massachusetts, right now, you can go to a uh A dispensary and buy whatever amount of we be you're permitted to buy. I don't know if it's an an ounce or whatever. You can't smoke it on the street, you can't smoke it at a public venue, but you can go to your backyard and smoke it with friends. You can sit in your house in the wintertime smokeing with or whatever. So it's treated a little differently than beer. I mean, I can go and have a couple of COIs beers at a bar on a restaurant, but someone else can't go and smoke weed at a bar a restaurant. So it's not But when this happens and there are cannabis shops, it's going to be very equal. Well, you mentioned concerns about Look, there are plenty of people who drive drunk and come out of a bar at night, and.
Speaker 3: They've got to figure out how to They got to figure out how to judge if somebody's inebriated on marijuana, so they make sure they're not going to be a menace to the public safe.
Speaker 2: Well, that's part of the problem you just identified. It is there are all sorts of ways to do breathalyze, the tests by alcohol content tests to whether or not people are under the influence of alcohol. My understanding is that there's no such test that is available for people under the influence of weed.
Speaker 3: That is correct. I've heard that, sir. Uh, So that's that's a that's a quandary we've got to overcome pretty much. Uh, make sure that people aren't abusing that privilege of being able to uh imbibe whatever it is in marijuana at your local you know, marijuana bar or whatever, and not cause any accidents and a public safetyation alive.
Speaker 2: I guess. I guess police can can save someone's speech is slurred or or their gate was unsteady or just all of that. But if you take a blood alcohol you know, if you take a breathalyzer and you pop up, you know one point three. You know, That's why most lawyers tell people you're going down. Yeah, precisely.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to put you down as a yes, yes, sir. You can rest assured that I am a yes, but to with a little bit of limitation there. You've got to figure out how to make sure that public safety is is handled and that people are safe and that sort of thing. And it was a pleasure. I enjoyed talk. I was surfing the radio wave, uh, and I picked your folks up, uh sort of between stations, and I said, hey, this sounded like a pretty cool show. You they'll call them up. I've been to Massachusetts a long time agoit and I like them. I didn't live there. I went through there, and you know, I had fried clams. I thought that was cool.
Speaker 5: Stuff.
Speaker 2: We have plenty, We have plenty of listeners in West Virginia. Obviously, you guys get the mountains down there. Is it is your first time listening to us tonight.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: I picked you up briefly about a month and a half ago, and uh I wrote your uh, your your telephone number down and uh uh tonight, I was listening to uh talk radio here locally, and I was surfing because talk radio is sort of kind of quit. So I picked you up and go, hey, these guys. You know, I don't like that guy Dan Ray. His daughter had as a Wells Corny's. Oh yeah, those little, short, little happy dogs.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. His name is Mustard.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's a she. She she adopted him from a shelter. Uh so he's about three years old. We've had she's had him now for about a year and a half. He is the best. I mean, I love dogs. Okay, if you listen to the end of my show. In my show, all every Night, all dogs, all cats, all patscot to have and I truly do believe that. But but she opened the door and all of a sudden, Mustard comes flying in. I've spent more time with Mustard the last six hours than I have in the last six months. It's like I just you know, he was with us during the summer, but she and her husband work in San Francisco, so we haven't seen them in a while. So it's kind of the beginning of Christmas for us, if you will. And uh and for me, the best Christmas present was once Mustard walked in the door this afternoon.
Speaker 3: I can imagine. We have hunting dogs. We have a I go down to Georgia and I hunt wild hogs and uh, there's.
Speaker 2: No limit on I understand the correct no limit.
Speaker 3: On those there. And they want to be rid of them. There are so many of them, you you. Uh, the game warden will actually say make sure that you if you're dressing out the animal, uh, you make sure that uh poured it all out of there.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Usually they'll allow you to dig a dick big ditch, but I'm not going to say that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, but they are tasty. What we put them in the ground to cook them. We we dig a big pit. We put rocks and uh and messk he and cook it up for about you know, until it gets super hot. We wrap the pig up and burl app and and chicken wire and put them in the ground. Bury it for twelve hours, come back unbury the big and uh and it's in. The meat just falls right off the bottom.
Speaker 2: It's just unbeing you're a serious hunter. That you're a serious hunter and you enjoyed the the product. Yes, sir, you bet you'll with you, Bob, do me a favorite. Lock us in and your your dial. You can always get us in the iHeart app. By the way, if the signal any night waivers, but we have a lot of listeners. We boom into West Virginia. So I hope to have you back because your first time calling, I assume right.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, it surely is, and I enjoy listening to your chef. I love Dodge. You know, Dodger Dodge are truly they will never betray you. There they are man's best friend.
Speaker 2: Really now question you.
Speaker 5: Get it right?
Speaker 2: And also the first time as a first time caller, our digital studio audience stood up. Thanks man, we'll talk again. Okay, Merry Christmas if you celebrate Christmas.
Speaker 3: God love you and merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: To do me all right back at you, thanks, Bob, appreciate it. Well, there's a first time caller. Uh, we love first time callers. We love second, third, and twenty fifth time callers as well. Back on side only. Line open is six.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the call as we go, Let's see what people have to say. We're gonna go to Glenn Glenn is local in Brighton, Glenn next one night Side go on hits Her.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I told your producer Rob that I think I'm gonna call you working for I voted to legalized pot. I smoke it sometimes, but I've got some problems with this.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: First of all, before pot was legal, it had a sweet cinnamon smell. Now it smells a cold dead skunk, like roadkill. It's gross. Uh, It's really bad. But I think uh and our friend Tim would agree with me on this. Waltam is the marijuana mecca of Massachusetts. People smoking on the street. I mean, you can't go anywhere in Waltam. It smells like roadkill. It makes your eyes water, your nose gets.
Speaker 2: Telling me you're a pot smoker, occasional pot smoker. Yeah, but you're not in favor of cannabis cafes. It sounds like the point I didn't want to miss that. I understand you correctly.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, yes, you understood me correctly, because I heard you say it at night. It's at the top of the show. I'm like, this is a this is I got a call on this because.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, glad you did.
Speaker 5: Well. Here's the thing, Like the cigarette they don't have some tobacco bars anymore. I mean employees that can't get that are looking for work. They don't want that to be They don't want a job with their asthma, their autoimmune system. They don't want that smell. Let's say someone needs a job and there's a good job at a cannabis bar. But now they're going to smell. They're going to smell like a you know, pippel pew at the end of the there, it's going to be in their hair, it's going to be on their clothes. Well.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, if you go to work at a pot shop, just as it like if you went to work at a cigar bar. Remember, there was a Boston medical director I think she's now the medical director in Los Angeles who was concerned about the smell of cigar smoke inside cigar bars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: I get it. Well, I guess so. I mean it might be you know, you might be offended by the smell of beer inside the Boston Garden and her self is game. But the idea is that people who are going there and know what it's all about. Same way with pot shops. I guess if you go, you're going to deal with whatever the smell is. But I got you down as a big uh.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess the webinarian too, right.
Speaker 2: You talked, you talked about you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going on this. Yeah, I heard it. I mean, if it happens, I don't think I'll lose a lot of sleep over it. But it's just the inconsistency. They have hookah bars, but they don't have you know, marl barrel bars. It's just I find that, you know.
Speaker 2: Let mean, are the hookah bars in operation in Massachusetts. I'm gonna sound really dumbed when I asked that question.
Speaker 5: But don't know, I've never been to one. I've always wanted until we're twenty years ago they were now, I don't know if they if they still are.
Speaker 2: Smoke well, let me skuse, what do you smoke at a hoopah bar. Call me naive, but I mean.
Speaker 5: You smoke a hookah pipe. I've never smote the hookah pipe. I'm stilling.
Speaker 2: What is in the hookah pipe?
Speaker 5: I don't know. It's some kind of Eastern or Middle Eastern tobacco. Somebody from the Middle East can explain it.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 5: Okay, a lot of Islamic people smoke it. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe someone, But it's not like some sort of religious experience when you go to a Catholic church and they had incense, and some people like the smell of incense. Some people don't like the smell of incense. But that's part of I love you, you know, ceremony. So I got you down. You're you're my first U. A person who acknowledges they smoke pot bud uh wants to continue in time to see people's home.
Speaker 5: You Willian let me go. I am a small Republican, small ill libertarian. I'm sort of half and half David Brunn I used to call himself a small tea conservative swaw il libertarian.
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with half and half, and I haven't make coffee every morning.
Speaker 5: You're funny.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thanks, talk soon. Thanks. All right, let's keep rolling. He you're gonna go to Jay up in Maine. Boy, you got West Virginia, Massachusetts, and in Maine, folks, there are lines here for Massachusetts College. Go right ahead, Hey, Jay, how are you tonight?
Speaker 4: Sure to Midland? How you doing, brother?
Speaker 2: We're doing just great. What's your take on this? Jay?
Speaker 4: So I hear you going back and forth and.
Speaker 7: You say, the guy, you vote yes, you vote no, Tell.
Speaker 4: Me the question.
Speaker 7: I'll give you the answer and then a little commentary on the subject.
Speaker 4: What's the question?
Speaker 2: Well, here in Massachusetts we basically legalized marijuana about eight years ago, medicinal marijuana. Now we have marijuana dispensary. You probably have them in Maine, and we are now beginning to formulate regulations which would allow cannabis cafes or pot shop, park bars, whatever you want to call them, where it's just like I can go down to the corner bar with the corner restaurant and have a couple of you know, course lights or a glass of red wine. Now you'd be able to extend the same opportunities to people who would prefer to smoke a joint. So the question is is that a good idea, or do we keep it where it is right now, which is you buy the stuff at the dispensary and you go home and you share it with your friends, or you smoke it yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well I don't fit in either of those categories because.
Speaker 4: I don't I have it, said someone all I retired and getting near the end of the road here. I haven't.
Speaker 7: In high school, I was with some folks and young and I smoked a few left handed cigarettes. I understand what it is to have to self medicate and to have a few laughs and relax and stuff. But that's, you know, when I was twenty, and that's a long time ago.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you. Let me ask you the threshold question as someone now again, you're in Maine. I assume marijuana is legally made, correct, do you have to special subjects? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: When when that was on the ballot or whatever? Are you okay with that? I mean, are there are people who are who are who are abstainers from alcohol? They're okay with package stores? So what's your position on the legalization of marijuana in Maine? Up or down?
Speaker 7: So I'm not a great socialite with conversation, but I have some courage of my convictions. For lack of a better commentary, I have read where it says, let's say cover you opened up to can of worms with other stuff. I will address that smoke thing with you. Solomon wrote the Proverbs chapter twenty verse one.
Speaker 4: Wine is a mocker.
Speaker 7: Strong drink is raging, and anybody deceived by that is not why so.
Speaker 4: I definitely concur with the wisdom.
Speaker 7: I was a teenager and had self medicated with alcohol is a problem.
Speaker 4: So Solomon is smarter than.
Speaker 2: Most of you. Know. Again, I don't want to get into debate with you, but I don't self MEDICAI. But I enjoy glass of wine with dinner, and I sometimes I'll have a course like before. But let's get back to the topic at hand. We could debate that some other night marijuana did you when when it became legally made? Did you welcome it? You didn't have to use it, did you welcome it?
Speaker 7: I spoke to thousands of people on the subject, and I didn't rest of the matter.
Speaker 4: Because I was a child.
Speaker 7: I acted as a child, I thought as a child, and when I became a man, I put.
Speaker 4: Away childish things.
Speaker 7: So there is a text and a new testament that says be sober and be vigilant because your adversary to devil goes about like a roaring lion seeking who it can devour. So we have enough trouble thinking straight in America and on the street, corner with the neighbors and everywhere you go with the store.
Speaker 4: It's important to be as clear minded as you can.
Speaker 7: So I wasn't passing judgment on anybody because they're drinking or there smoking.
Speaker 4: It's a personal choice.
Speaker 7: And as for me, I would say, you know a lot of brain cells have been wounded in the young age. They recover if you stay away from that stuff. But I have friends that are still you know, like teenage child you know, high school kids still smoking, still partying, and there's a limit. At some point you just kind of grow up and put a way to childish stuff. I don't endorse it. I don't embrace it. That's my personal choice. But I don't condemn people for us. And it does think the guys right. I was in Boston last week to see my medical specialist, and the skunk smell is you know, while you're going down the road, you don't even have to be walking on the street corner.
Speaker 4: You can smell it and it has an effect. It does.
Speaker 7: It does affect people that get exposed to secondhand smoke. It does affect people. So it's I don't think it's a healthy thing. I think Uncle Sam is just like, give me your money and you can do what.
Speaker 4: You want to do.
Speaker 7: That doesn't make it right from a moral From a moral perspective, to my opinion, just try to be as clear minded as you can and dealing with issues, because once you get over the edge with chemicals or whatever you're putting in your body, there you're thinking, and so the judgment becomes imbalanced.
Speaker 2: So I think, I think, I think I got your point, but I'm up on a break, so I gotta let you run. Appreciate your call. Always happy to hear a couple of Bible quotes. Thank you very much, appreciate it. We'll take a break, coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Forget a full lines here, let's keep rolling. I'm gonna try to move people a little bit more quickly. Jim in Kansas City, Jim Next on Nightsiger.
Speaker 3: Right ahead, Dan Hi, longtime, no talk.
Speaker 8: How are you doing great?
Speaker 2: What you're taking this?
Speaker 3: Jim Well, to quote a very wise woman, just say no, say no.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, so I assume your opposed to the legalization and therefore certainly you don't want cannabis cafes.
Speaker 3: Well, just for me personally, I'm a completely averse to it. I don't want it around me. I don't want to be around it. I don't want to be around people who are on it. I don't want it in the schools. I don't want it in society. I don't want to have to pay increased insurance rates as a result of the use of it.
Speaker 2: But totally other.
Speaker 3: People want it. If other people want to do it, I just want to make sure that they're paying the price, not me insurance. I mean, I want to encourage employers to drug test people at work so that we I mean, you're at words you're hearing all the time about safety, safety safety. I mean to me, people who are on they think because they haven't smoked it for twenty four hours, they're off of it. No, it stays in your blood for on a seven eight days, and if they're a safety, they're hazard.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I want to you know, I mean drug testing. I want to see more drug testing. And I'd be interested in knowing how insurance corporations if a marijuana cafe that's what we're talking about, Yeah, don't they have to have insurance in order to open up? Or where do they get insurance for it? And how does the insurance corporation? I mean, what pool do they put them in? Is it just a must be like a state pool or because if it's if it's if it's illegal nationally, I would think that it would be illegal for them to take the proceed from a policy of an organization that US. I don't know how that works out. I don't even think it's legal for them to put the money in a bank or for a bank to knowingly accept it.
Speaker 2: So there are some applications there. Yep, you've raised You've raised about fifteen issues. I wish I had enough time to address them all.
Speaker 3: But you talk about library library cards. Man, that's important stuff, all right. Like I say, I wanted drug testing, drug testing, drug testing, drug testing because it stays in your blood for a long time. It's not like alcohol. I don't like when people compare to alcohol because it's not like alcohol. That stuff gets you high and keeps you high for a long time. Even though people, the people who use it and they're on it, I don't appreciate their opinion on whether or not they're high. I think they're still high, like a day or two, a long time after they use it.
Speaker 2: But all right, but I gotta let you run. I get packed. Calls behind you too, Thanks you soon, Thank you much. Let me go to Betty in the boat. Betty got a little late here. Want to sneak you in, but I've got to be got to be quick tonight. Go ahead, Betty.
Speaker 8: I'm against the cafes. And in the boating said, did you say.
Speaker 2: You're against them? Betty, you said you're against them?
Speaker 8: Yeah, against them primarily because of the impact of second hand smoke to the non consumer, but in the voting industry. If I get boarded by the US Coast Guard and I who they find drugs on my boat, I lose my vessel. It's a ten thousand dollars finding, five years in jail. I'm on federal waters.
Speaker 2: I gotcha, and I got you. I've forgotten about that, to be honest with you.
Speaker 8: Okay, And New Hampshire does not permit marijuana as a land as a property owner up there, you're a mandated self reporter. If your renter is using and you know it and you don't report it, you lose your property ten thousand dollars fying five years in jail.
Speaker 2: That's that's in the live free or die state.
Speaker 8: Bingo. Yeah, okay, And I you know, I just I've seen a change traffic patterns and people's driving behaviors, and there's more aggression on the highways today than I've ever seen in my sixty two years of driving.
Speaker 2: I can on that point too, Betty.
Speaker 8: You hit them all, then go ahead, you know if I So, if I go someplace and I and I have a lung condition and there's smoke, I want to leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But on the on the cannabis shops, on the on the cannabis cafes, you would know what you're walking into. I mean, one of the things about restaurants now is that you can't smoke cigarettes. So therefore, if you're in a restaurant and someone lights up, they're gonna be told to, you know, to put it on get out. But cigar or p yeah, you're not going to be affected by that. Second hand smoke in the cannabis cafe because you're probably not going to enter the premises right thing.
Speaker 8: Though, I'm not going afire. I value my lunch too much.
Speaker 2: All right, Betty, I got you in here. We'll talk soon, Okay. Should be is whether we'll clear up by the next day or so.
Speaker 8: Okay, it's gonna be fine until Friday, and then it's gonna turn around again with high winds and then we'll be fine the first to next week. And I hope you and your family are a both well. All well, take care.
Speaker 2: Of the dog absolutely absolutely. I'll bring Mustard bye some day and say hello, thanks, Betty.
Speaker 8: Talk to you absolutely, take here by, right.
Speaker 2: Next up is Steve in Franklin, Massachusetts. Steve, you're next on Nightside. We got we're getting tight.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, Hi Dan, Happy New Year in happy holidays. And I'm a long time listener, but having called in a while. But you know, you're talking about the cafes and where they can smoke it. I mean, I'm against smoking in marijuana and it's a federal crime. And uh, I was just saying that they're gonna smoke it, and shouldn't they allow like water pipes for people that don't have come passionate use, because I understand the water pipe cools the tobacco, cools the marijuana. I mean, people with a esophageo cancer. Shouldn't they have shouldn't they allow water pipes for compassionate use.
Speaker 2: I have no clue to be really official to do that one. I wish I could offered opinion. I think they have these hookah pipes, but I'm not I'm not a hooka pipe guy, so I can't help you there either. We're not talking about compassionate use here. We're talking about basically taking marijuana.
Speaker 9: But I mean, if they're gonna smoke it, I thought a water pipe cools the tobacco, and it cools the marijuana, and you want to burn your esophagus, and that might do.
Speaker 2: But that's a little off topic here because they.
Speaker 9: Have one up town, and I guess I went in there to buy something for tobacco or something for my brother, and I didn't see any water pipes, and I remember water pipes cooled it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's all You've You've got a lot of good information about water pipes, and I want to get one more caller in see what he has to say as well, Steve, callmore often. We'll talk soon. Thank you much. Another Steven Gamebri Steve, you're at the end of the line. Normally they're going.
Speaker 6: To have marijuana cafes. I would like to be able to go to a bar and have a cigarette with my martini if I drank. I don't drink anymore. But it seems inconsistent to allow marijuana cafes but now allowed tobacco cafes.
Speaker 2: Well, it's amazing when you think about it, because there was a push you can't go to a And by the way, I'm not a smoker. I don't smoke cigarettes, never smoke cigarettes. And I was always bothered by cigarette smoke.
Speaker 6: By your father's cigarette smoke. You what by your father's cigarette smoke.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was horribly bothered by that.
Speaker 5: I really yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean how many decades did he smoke?
Speaker 2: Do you think smoke most of his life? He went cold Turkey in nineteen sixty four when the Surgeon General report came down. But he's a World War Two veteran. I suspect he probably spoke for thirty years. They all smoked when they're in World War two. Yes, two and a half years in what was called the CBI China Burmer in India. But for him, Wow Smith rather, smoking really bothered me and I just never I never took to it at all.
Speaker 6: But Dan, don't you think if they allow marijuana bars, they should allow a bar where someone could go in and have a beer and a cigarette and shine on the front.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, I'm with I'm going to agree with you on this. I'm enough of a libertarian say there should be restaurants in which smoking is allowed. I'm not going to patronize that restaurant. But that allows you to go and have your martini and smoke a cigarette enjoy a meal. But if I want to put aside my concerns about cigarettes and enjoy a meal with you and try to sit away from the cigarette smoke, that's my decision.
Speaker 6: Or if I decide not to smoke and go to a non smoking restaurant with you, that would be my decision too.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, So, I was in favor of two types of restaurants. Open up the restaurant and the owner can either can either be smoking or non smoking people. Not one of these where over the corner the smokers consis. But again that's that was too rational for Massachusetts. And again I say that as a viril anti smoker.
Speaker 6: Huh, yes, Dan, you know if they you know, be interesting because I bet you if you have a marijuana bar, you won't be allowed to smoke tobacco in it.
Speaker 2: I'm almost certain of that, and we will discuss that subject another night.
Speaker 6: But for this one, generally speaking, people smoke Middle Eastern people smoke tobacco in hookahs. But you could smoke marijuana in a hookah anything, but generally it's tobacco.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, thank you very much for that information. I know nothing about that, and you've you've provided me with some information. I'm more edified as a consequence of the phone call.
Speaker 6: As always, you're too kind, as I always say, take care Dan.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bell. When we get back, going to change topics, going to change topics here a little bit, and we're going to talk about something else. Should jaywalking in Massachusetts, which is still against the law, should that be decriminalized? I have very mixed mind on this one. We'll talk to you in a minute, in a few minutes, right after the ten o'clock news dial up right now six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six, one, seven, nine, three, ten thirty