Speaker 1: And like everybody signing and saying that they're coming back, but you you never find out how much people transfer for.
Speaker 2: You never find out how much people like come back for.
Speaker 3: I think eventually we might when it all gets figured out.
Speaker 2: That this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, keeping that news up though. Delorso also is going to be coming back. That got reposted by Carter Bryan on Instagram, So.
Speaker 4: It's like, uh, we'll go ahead as you continue on putty come up.
Speaker 2: I was just you know, hoping for the best of Carter Brian.
Speaker 5: Everybody everybody's still wondering how did you get these though?
Speaker 4: What about Carter? What about Carter? You're about Carter? Right? Nothing about Carter so far.
Speaker 2: I got the notifications turned on, but you know.
Speaker 5: You would everybody when when when's the draft? When you when does he have to be clear about it?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: He's got time. He's got a lot of time actually making something. And by the way, isn't that you canna have w NBA stuff because.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, keeping that up. Jay and Bradley also recent the softball team is coming off a sweep at Kansas over the weekend.
Speaker 2: They are on five game win streak. Yep, what is.
Speaker 1: Last I checked, they were thirteenth, I believe because they lost a couple back to back.
Speaker 2: Also coming off.
Speaker 1: Also in Spring sports news, the baseball team won their series against Oklahoma State after losing that first game on Friday, won a close one yesterday afternoon. Keeping up with Arizona though, the tennis team is the two seed going into the Big twelve Championship.
Speaker 6: Okay, oh, very cool, So keep an eye on that. Who's the one seed? Believe TCU. All right now to the to the national news. The whole Nico thing that was a big talking port throughout the weekend. I remember seeing it on the night Cap yesterday that Shannon Sharp does and just like some other shows on ESPN as well, it was interesting to me because you know, this hold it was the first hold in slash hold out right, like first public one, and so that was you know.
Speaker 4: Well, we've already kind of talked about that, but that's.
Speaker 5: A little bit which like Shannon Sharp with the Steven A what are their takes on this?
Speaker 4: I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: So Shannon Sharp, uh pretty much did blame him for a lot of the reasons that you gave before we were going to the break where it's like, you know, you sign on, be responsible. You know, you're the one that that's putting your name out there.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Stephen Ay, I believe blamed more.
Speaker 1: Of the the agents and the parents because from from rumors, you know, and I don't think anything's been concrete.
Speaker 2: This was like his agent was trying to negotiate this.
Speaker 1: Deal while they were in the playoffs already, and so he you know, he probably isn't aware of that at that moment.
Speaker 2: I mean he could be obviously, but you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, well, whatever happened to the quarterback from Vegas? Could you have your thing on the Vegas quarterback who left after the one?
Speaker 4: Like he was like the first dude to do this.
Speaker 3: Asking for money and then they said here, you know where the door is, you know where the doors and they did really well without him. Anyway, he wasn't about you kid, right, it was about the team. I don't know if he ever ended up somewhere. So that's another thing.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm gonna hold my breath, watch me, I'm gonna I'm gonna do well, go ahead, try to.
Speaker 4: I'm very very important, very important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so maybe that'll continue to say you know.
Speaker 4: What the door is don't want it hits you in the ass.
Speaker 1: I think it's crazy too that he kind of gets like a cop out, like I know he's gonna have like his name, his name, you know, like in a reputation is probably gonna go down from this. But it's like having two windows in the in the wind, in the for the transport portal specifically like for football. It's like, oh, he can make this kind of mistake, can still end up playing somewhere.
Speaker 3: Well he will, like I said, nothing, maybe North Carolina. But now even at you obey, I'm guessing what they have fifty seventy whatever people practice you now that once the spring game hits, which is this weekend, right spring facilities, Uh, you'll see some people in the in the portal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's you cow. Can you prevent it? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's just I don't know how you supposed to how are you supposed to really have like spring practices like that when.
Speaker 4: You ever have a hot chick leave.
Speaker 5: You yeah yeah, well look, I mean we just we just talked to the Gymnastis Courch and he talked about you know, buying into the program and everything like that.
Speaker 4: This Nego guy, this dude is.
Speaker 5: Not going to buy into anything except a brand new car and maybe a house, right right?
Speaker 4: Do you want that winning? Do you care? You want that dude playing for you?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have that guy playing for me if I was in a pickup league. No, No, I just I just wouldn't. It's not worth it. Yeah, you know, Look, there's eleven guys on the field. There's fifty three that are on there or more than that on this sidelines. You know that are that are part of this, and they all have to buy in. They all got to be pulling in the same direction. This guy is just basically said to every coach, I'm pulling in my own direction. Yeah, yeah, I don't. I wouldn't bring him in. I'm sure somebody will, of course if you're talented. Well, hell, look at the end, Luke, at the league, NFL, who do they have. Look at some of the guys they have in the roster, Guys who have done some crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I still don't want to win.
Speaker 3: No, I totally, I totally you and I agree on this for the first TIB forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Following that up and some more tragic news, former LSU star hiring Lacey apparently passed away from a self flipped, self inflicted gunshop wound after following the police chase this weekend.
Speaker 5: That is a sad story. Yeah, I mean talk about having everything and giving it away. Yeah, from that accident in December. Start, that's what it is. I mean, they were supposed to do the grand jury starting to a to indict him. I mean, look, I get it. You know you're going to probably going to prison. You know, you're probably gonna do that for a couple of years, but you're not gonna do it forever. Yeah, suicides forever, you know, I mean, you know, it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 1: Tragic, permanent, fixed to a temporary problem. Temporary problem. Yeah, I can't get it back.
Speaker 2: Keeping that.
Speaker 1: Following that up though, with some more lighter news, Illinois star freshman Ca Casparis. That's a tough name, Jack Cucci. That's goods good into the NBA Draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's gonna start now more and more by the way, Yeah, that's in June.
Speaker 3: I think it's in June, right, the draft. Uh, so we'll see more and more names come out for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Houston's Milos Uson also declared for the draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I saw that he was a pretty good player. Did they get a player coming back to Houston? They lose one and get one?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I think it was one of the guards. That's one of the bigs.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's coming back. Yeah, Houston's gonna be very good next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and then they were also gonna reload another top class according to all the sites.
Speaker 4: But that Arizona good Okay.
Speaker 2: I think that they had them above hers in a couple.
Speaker 4: Of already yeah, recruiting classes. Yeah, well you're number two, I think number one.
Speaker 1: How much they go there was like I feel like it was like the same three teams. It was Duke, Houston, and Arizona where like consensuously like the top three recruiting classes. Talking about the draft though w n B A draft is about to start in like twenty minutes. Yeah, and yeah, you know, Page Buckers probably gonna be the first one off the board going to Dallas.
Speaker 5: She signed a huge deal too, the three versus three thing she's gonna make. Yeah, she's gonna make more money in that than she will in the w NBA. Is that like really that's what they kind of we're saying that you're they're on they're making seventy eight thousand dollars, which, of course, hey, y'all take that for the NBA for whatever months they're going to play, and then she's gonna be making a lot more than that in.
Speaker 3: A three v three, So go get it. It's funny how I feel about that, because they should go get it, and I'm upset about the guys getting money, and I'm not upset. It's just weird to me. I'm not upset because that'd be selfish. I'm not upset. I mean, look, this is a different time that I'm not used to.
Speaker 5: So they're playing pro ball, okay, I mean which, and then we've kind of grown up in the whole college era where you know, hey, you don't get paid. You know, no one's allowed to buy you lunch, and so this is all this is all really really new to us. I think that the difficult thing is, like, you know that you have somebody that's representing your school that is not interested in going to classes or being part of the school. They're there to play football. And you know a lot of people, a lot of football players will tell you I'm only here to play football. You know that's been going on for a long time. But you know they had to go to classes, they had to do certain things that they were doing. It's that's whole aspect is going to be completely different. Yeah, school, what's that? Yeah, well, it's funny because I saw kJ, right kJ this out in Georgetown with his posing with his new new uniform and all that school and I'm thinking, I'm thinking at the time and thinking, oh cool uniform. Doesn't he have classes here still? Because he has to maintain his eligibility right to go to the next level either either He's like you guys, and I don't know how many classes you have online, but I'm sure you have a couple in person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has to.
Speaker 5: He definitely has to maintain his progression in school. And when was the last time you saw somebody not not do well in school? Anytime? In the last ten years, twenty years? I used to do that all the time, the writing stories. Well he's not eligible because it's academically ineligible. Yeah, no, I I can't remember the last time. Yeah, you don't hear that a lot. Yeah, now he's able to buy you a burger in price.
Speaker 2: It's kind of A.
Speaker 1: It's it's really weird because I remember, you know, when I was in high school and stuff like that, and it was like the issue, the issue really came up. I remember for like my generation, because they stopped the NCAA games and so everyone was like, yeah, pay the athletes, pay the athletes. And you know, obviously I don't think that's a bad thing because it was happening, you know, behind closed doors kind of anyways. But it's it's weird seeing it backfire so much wherever where it feels like everyone was so much for athletes getting paid and now it's yeah, they're kind of.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the issue.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how many deep pockets like Arizona we talked about this other times. How many times can you go to the deep pockets and if you're going to get bad money or bad bad returns on your money, Sorry, sir, I'm tired of giving to you and this is all I get, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's it's different than known in a protein on the pro team, you're gonna have you have some revenue. Yeah, you know, you're you're investing, you get some revenue. You're not getting anything like that here, except I don't even know if you can write that off on your taxes anymore.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe you can because you give to the foundation, not if you what you go directly to the player. You go directly to the player. Yeah, that's they're not a not for profit. Yeah, they are definitely a for profit institution. Yeah, no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Doug McDaniel from Kansas State entered the transfer portal. Shout out to one. Let me get that update.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, Patrick Peterson retired. Peterson play a corner for the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's why I didn't know who he was. Cardinals. Hey we're missing we're missing the lead right here. But golf golf? Oh yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Too, let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Rory mclroy, Yeah that was the Masters, did you?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean it was, it was. It was definitely exciting. Rory could have made it very unexciting, but Rory doesn't make anything unexciting.
Speaker 4: That dude makes his bed.
Speaker 5: It's like he gets half of it right, and then he goes over there and does really good. But it's like, you know, you're just say you'd be sitting there watching him make his bed and you'd be all tense and you know, it's like cheering you missed the quarter. Yeah, but I mean, you know, so he misses, he misses a five five footer. Okay, after after missing the green one hundred and twenty five yard chip shot, misses the green on the most important chip of his life, misses the five footer, comes back in almost the same spot, hits a one hundred and twenty five foot wedge into four feet and that's what holds it final eighteen. Yeah, the in uh sudden death. I mean it just the fact that he can you know, he came back and hit that huge hook into into fifteen within like ten feet. I mean that's the thing about it. I mean he can hit some amazing shots and then he can miss some some normal, normal shots.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that was huge this weekend. Get a lot of big news, a lot of fun, a lot of sentimental stuff there, and then go ahead with your son stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike Rudols got fired after in just one season.
Speaker 4: The last I heard from you, guys, mister mister.
Speaker 5: You and uh and who's my guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Him? Yeah, that other guy.
Speaker 5: God, he's gonna call me and say, how can I forget it's uh Howard, Howard Howard. No wonder he hasn't called. He's probably depressed somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, they didn't make the playoffs, right. No, I was a little disappointed that the song you see. I saw the Son's game last night with with who they played? No, no, not last night was with like like the Clippers had a fantastic game and they lost. So now they're in the playing game tomorrow, which you know, we'll see what happens three h oh in the playing games. Yeah, gone fishing. Yeah, I'll tell you totally.
Speaker 3: Just take a break, come and come back on this side with Michael lev.
Speaker 9: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus box just after this nationwide keyword on our website, Green Gray.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 9: Enter it now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready, Enterprise of Fasco YUCKI try.
Speaker 11: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 2: We can help you select the perfect wood.
Speaker 11: Type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Windowdepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 5: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity.
Speaker 2: Got to commitment to.
Speaker 12: Lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs or subjects to change with don't notice?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from Rare Fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 4: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 13: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere show Time Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five to two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen Brout, sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 8: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Why mining so important?
Speaker 4: It's the foundation of.
Speaker 15: Everything that defines a society.
Speaker 2: Everything you see is a product, don't.
Speaker 15: Mind it, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, rown and modernized based solely on the minerals in process.
Speaker 4: That's why i'mlining is so important. GONDIYBM dot com.
Speaker 11: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything.
Speaker 7: You need for your next remodel.
Speaker 11: Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 7: You'll find it all here.
Speaker 11: At the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 9: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station Fox Sports our team Big Day.
Speaker 5: Hey, welcome back to Iying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera or Mike Quinn. M We got Ray and now we have Michael led from the Daily Star Michael.
Speaker 4: How you doing.
Speaker 7: Hello, how are you guys?
Speaker 4: We're doing fine.
Speaker 3: It seems to me there's never a dull day, which of course makes your job even more interesting and I'm not sure about fun, but at least interesting. Right, you were at a press conference for women's basketball recently, You've in baseball all these things. Uh, we we kind of want to talk a lot about the women's program. I saw your call them yesterday. I think it was a very good one in descriptions and stuff like that. What did you make of her specifically?
Speaker 16: Yeah, she seemed to try About Becky Burke, of course, new women's basketball coach. She seemed confident, She seemed determined, seemed resolute. She seemed like she was ready to take on what's going to be a challenging situation and a a higher profile situation than she's ever been in before as a coach. Anyway, she's a pretty pretty high profile player back at Louisville. But you know, she seemed like very eager and ready to get going. You know, she made several references to rolling up her sleeves and getting to work. You know, she revealed that, you know, before she'd even changed her voicemail on her phone. She was reaching out to players in the transfer portal to try to get them to come to Arizona.
Speaker 7: So those are what I would say were my initial impressions.
Speaker 16: And I think it was important for her to make a positive first impression on at least a certain segment of the fan base that is still kind of clinging to the idea that your idea, Barnes, is you know, irreplaceable, which is I don't think is true, but I understand why they feel the way that they feel about idea.
Speaker 5: So I saw the press conference from Afar. I thought she won the press conference. I'm sure you felt the same way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 16: Mean, if we're keeping score here, I would say I would definitely put it in the wind column. She was, I said, eager, energetic, very positive. She had her kind of her talking points in the way that she wanted to portray herself, you know, and she talked about such great stories about her time at every Riddle and Prescott and you know, all of the steps along the way and her coaching journey. I think that the experiences that she's had are going to help her here, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is, like I said, the highest profile job she's ever.
Speaker 16: Had, but she's been in a lot of rebuilding situations, had to start a program from scratch, and it's kind of what she's doing right here, right, I mean, she has to build an entire roster and she has to do it in in relatively short order, and she's got to really, you know, tap into every resource that.
Speaker 7: She has to get that done.
Speaker 16: And she's done it before at other places that weren't, uh you knows, as attractive a destination as Arizona is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you so, So you mentioned challenging, and you mentioned a couple of things that are that that are going to be challenging for what do you think is going to be the biggest challenge that she's got to overcome and the ones she's got to overcome most quickly?
Speaker 16: Okay, all right, this is the This is kind of like, to me, the biggest storyline around the women's basketball program right now, and it's the topic of resources. Yeah, you know, like monetary resources. How much does Arizona actually have compared to its top competitors and say the Big twelve, right, there's been you know, there's a certa segment of the local media that believes that, you know, Arizona women's basketball is not sufficiently supported desiree. Rea Francois would push back at that notion. I don't have these the actual figures in front of me.
Speaker 7: I know what I've heard regarding revenue sharing.
Speaker 16: And it's a bit disappointing if it does indeed turn out to be, you know, two percent instead of five percent, which doesn't sound like much, but it's a huge difference for women's basketball. You're talking about, you know, roughly four hundred thousand dollars of revenue sharing versus a million. I mean, the figures that I don't know, and I'm just kind of going on, you know, what they said the other day are related to nil. I'm not even sure where that money comes from, to be frank, and what the school has to do with that. But you know, can Arizona compete in those areas to get the best players that TCU is getting or Baylor is getting or whoever, like the most deep pocketed programs are in the Big twelve and across the country. That was a pretty frequent complaint from Ada Barnes. I'm sure there's some validity to it. I don't know what commitments exactly have been made for Becky Burke, but she also said, like, I wouldn't have taken this job if I.
Speaker 7: Didn't believe that we had the support here to win.
Speaker 16: So, you know, it remains to be seen whether that's true, what kind of players end up getting, and you know, whether she's able to retain those players, which you know was one of.
Speaker 7: The big issues that Idea had.
Speaker 16: Right, It's like she she'd recruit these great players and she couldn't keep them for many reasons, and I think you know, money was one of those reasons.
Speaker 5: So I think you said this story, apologize why I get this wrong? You've been here I thought maybe five, six, seven years, but you've been here.
Speaker 3: About ten years now, right, Yes, that's true? Yeah, okay, So so would you have imagined Arizona women's basketball being talked about as much as it is ten years ago?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 3: It's like no publicity or good you know, publicity's publicity, and here we are talking about it on radio. You're writing the heck out of it. Other people are writing the heck out of it, and it has this fan base now or does it?
Speaker 4: Is it? Was it a love affair that could leave just as easily as it showed up.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that you know, that's to a Dia Barnes credit.
Speaker 16: Right, she built this program up and made it into something that people were interested in and want to talk about and want to see, you know, live and in person at McHale Center.
Speaker 7: She created a program that.
Speaker 16: You know is far you know, I know Joan Bonbassini one more games, coach Terry Longer made more NCAA tournament appearances. Right, But Ida reached a peak that I think no one thought was possible.
Speaker 7: Sure, right, she was enable to sustain that peak.
Speaker 16: But she definitely elevated the you know, the the profile of Arizona women's basketball and like in the zeitgeist, right, like.
Speaker 7: In terms of.
Speaker 16: Something that for people to talk about, for Arizona fans to care about on some level. Right, I would say, look, I'm not I'm not. I'm not Greg Hanson when it comes to putting things in historical perspective.
Speaker 7: But women's basketball is.
Speaker 16: Probably was maybe fifth on the in the on the scale behind football, men's basketball, softball, and baseball. And I'd say, now it's maybe third in terms of attendance for sure, and what people are interested in.
Speaker 7: So I can believe it.
Speaker 16: I can I you know, it also is happening within the context of women's.
Speaker 7: Basketball becoming more popular overall. Right, So I think that's part of it too.
Speaker 5: Let me say something because I was in your spot many years ago and wrote a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: There's always more to the story. There's always more to the story.
Speaker 5: There's stuff you can't print because you can't prove and what you know, you know off the record, blah blah blah. I'm sure you know you've experienced that with Desiree already, with the coach Idea and other sports, of course.
Speaker 4: And I just lost my train of thought.
Speaker 5: Oh So with that said, what do you think Idea's legacy is going to be We talked about it before you showed up.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean I think I would say net positive, right.
Speaker 7: I think there was definitely some frustration.
Speaker 16: From both pacings went over the last three or four years, right, I mean, the results weren't quite as good Number one and number two.
Speaker 7: There was just this regular exodus of players. No, and why did this keep happening?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: Just sign up the times? Or was there more to it than that? Right? So I think there's that part of it.
Speaker 16: But when you look at the hole where the program was when she took over versus where it is now.
Speaker 7: I mean, she did a great job, and you know.
Speaker 16: Does are acknowledge that at the beginning of the press conference to the day, I think she deserves a lot of kudos. Did she have some trouble adapting to the new world? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Maybe so.
Speaker 16: A lot of coaches have, and that's you know, it's it's not unique to her that there'd be some challenges in that regard. But I would say overall, you know, if not the best women's basketball coach in Arizona history, certainly the second best, and no one else is even close to third place.
Speaker 3: Right, let's just switch gears because we can talk about this as long as we have the rest of the show. But let's go to basketball real quick. Tommy's kind of landing on his feet, Okay, after after the successful season, I guess with the guys coming.
Speaker 7: Back, yeah, I would say more than okay, is it? What about four guys that we know of at this point, right, Jayden.
Speaker 16: Bradley, Crevis Delorso, and Tobio Waca.
Speaker 7: I don't know. Maybe that's about all you can hope for these days. As far as the returning roster, I mean, maybe half your roster.
Speaker 4: And then and then we are now.
Speaker 16: The recruiting classes the best he's ever had, not even close, So expectations are super high. And I think, to me, the difference between, you know, is Arizona going to be really good next year or is there a Grizona gonna be great next year comes down to Carter Bryant's decision whether to enter the NBA Draft.
Speaker 7: Or to remain in Arizona for another season.
Speaker 16: And again, this is an area where resour versus nil, et cetera come into play, because that decision is not as cut and.
Speaker 7: Dry as it used to be.
Speaker 16: Right, used to be five years ago, ten years ago, a player Carter Bryant skill and ability, he would be a slam dunk excuse the pun, right, keep going to the draft right nowadays? You know he might be able to make a good chunk of money here when he loves being an Arizona Wildcat. Yeah, maybe he'll recognize you know what, if I come back for another season, work on my skills, become more than just a three and D player, I can be a lottery pick in twenty twenty six, as opposed to say, you know, the twenty second.
Speaker 7: Pick or whatever in this year's draft.
Speaker 16: So to me, I think Arizona's going to be really good whether they have him or not, but they have the potential to be great if he decides to return.
Speaker 5: So okay, based on that decision that he makes, what are the dominoes at fall? I mean, do we he leaves and suddenly people are like, okay, I'm coming in, or he stays and people are like, yeah, I'm not going to see the see the playing time that I wanted, so I'm gonna get at it out of this, or you know, yeah, I.
Speaker 16: Think yeah, the timing of it is always really tricky when it comes to basketball because I mean, they can really string this out for a long time.
Speaker 7: You know, the deadlines aren't as hard as as football. There's a whole process that they go through.
Speaker 16: If they want to put themselves into the pool at all. And the difference to me whether he goes or stays is, you know, you're looking at or acquiring really only role players if he comes back. If he doesn't come back, then you're trying to find someone who'd be a suitable replacement for him, you know, a starting level, really good player, And I mean who knows whether you know those players are going to be available at that point in time. Usually you know players, you know players will probably hold off on making their decisions because the agents and the handlers and even the players themselves, they're aware of all of these personnel maneuverings that are going on. I'm sure there's a lot of kids out there who would like to play for Tommy Lloyd, play for Arizona, but like you said, they don't want to come here if they're currently a starter or a star player and.
Speaker 7: Not get the same amount of playing time. So those dominoes need to fall first before we figure out exactly what that looks like.
Speaker 16: But like I said, the difference is role players versus you know, a starting or star caliber acquisition.
Speaker 4: Do we lose any of the current recruits that have committed if he stays? Do you think?
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 16: I mean, I think they're coming on operating under the assumption that he stays, and I think there's a world. I think CoA Pete is a similar player to Carter Bryant, but I think they could definitely play together. You know, one could be the three and one could be the four. That's not that difficult to envision. I don't think the other two, you know, Braden Bury's and uh Co Peter, the headliners of this group of course, Dwayne Aristote and Bryce James, I don't think they're necessarily coming in here expecting to start right away. You know, Tommy has kind of been an eight man rotation sort of coach. But you know, I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to expand that to nine or ten over the course of a long, difficult season. Get more guys in, get more playing time, more experience, light in the workload for some of the regulars, and I think, you know, a lot of these guys are friends too.
Speaker 7: And they want to play together.
Speaker 16: And I think the idea of having like a super team with you know, three potential you know, first round picks on it would be really exciting for those guys.
Speaker 5: Let's go to baseball real quick as something that you love very much and you're always out there.
Speaker 4: How good is this team? And then what do you see the rest of the way.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, obviously they need to get Brendan summer Hill back, and they need Brendan summer Hill to be himself. He's been out since late February with this broken hand situation.
Speaker 7: I don't think he's coming back this week.
Speaker 16: Maybe he can come back next week, but I think they should hold off as long as they can. If they continue to play as well as they have, I believe their record without him is seven and five. They can be at or above five hundred while he's out. I think they can afford to let him take the time that he needs to heal and get back to, you know, the player that he was. This is they're talking about the best player on the team, first round pick in this year's draft, leadoff man, with speed, with power, super clutch. Last year too, was involved in a lot of those you know, walk off shenanigans that Arizona polts.
Speaker 7: So I think that's a huge, huge factor. They've done really well.
Speaker 16: So far, but I think I think they're capable of more. Honestly, the lineup like hasn't totally clicked yet. I mean, the offense really kind of struggled over the weekend against Oklahoma State. They gave a lot of credit to the Cowboys pitching staff, which is really good, and there's certain type of pitchers, lefties with a with a big braking ball that have given them trouble, but they're right there, right where they need to be, in position to possibly, you know, get a bye in the Big twelve tournament, maybe get into the top sixteen and host a regional, which would be a really big deal. Definitely a desirable situation to get in. So I'm bullish on this team. I remain optimistic. You never know what the health situation is going to be. But you know, if Summerhill comes back in a timely manner, I think this team can definitely make a run.
Speaker 5: I don't think I've asked you this question. This will be the last one. So you're a columnist, your columnist now at the Star. Thekids are making a lot of money, or certain kids are making a lot of money. Where do you stand in terms of being critical of those kids making a lot of money?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 16: It's a good question, right because the line that was always drawn, at least.
Speaker 7: By me and I think a lot of people was I'm you know, I'm.
Speaker 16: Not going to go out of my way to be overly critical of you know, amateur athletes, right some you know, some of whom, like you know, aren't even old enough to to buy a drink at this point, and that dynamic has changed. To be sure, I think what I think, what I go by, Like my compass is you know, am I being fair?
Speaker 7: Right? Am I being?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 7: You never want to get personal?
Speaker 16: I don't think right you can criticize someone's play without without crossing that particular line of getting personal.
Speaker 7: So I don't know, kind of a case by case basis.
Speaker 16: It's a really good question, though, because things have changed in that regard, and I think it might tip a little bit more the other way if that information became more public and it was something that was talked about more. Because even though we all know they're getting paid, no one ever talks about it with them directly, right, No one ever brings it up in a process. Oh hey, like you know how much did you get to come to Arizona. It's always like, well, you know, why did you come to Arizona? What appealed to it about you?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 7: Question a big stack of money?
Speaker 4: Why isn't that question asked? Why isn't that?
Speaker 7: I don't know, It's like it's still like taboo in a way. You know, I don't know. I would feel I feel like I feel like a jerk.
Speaker 4: Michael, how much do you make at the start.
Speaker 16: I'm happy to talk to you about the offline, but yeah, but we know in the world of professional athletics that that is a topic, yeah, discussed right and without hesitation, So I know, maybe we'll get there at that point. I'd love to see some sort of a collective bargaining situation where these guys have kind of more professionalized multi year contracts so they're not, you know, hopping from school to school every year. But it doesn't seem like we're at that point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it's quite too early, right, too early in this thing. Michael is always thanks a.
Speaker 7: Bunch, Yeah, thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks Michael Love from the Daily Star outstanding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go and take a break and come back and finish, maybe with some more calls. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 5: Now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from LUT is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equitionment.
Speaker 17: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 5: Tucson, Steven Array Heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back.
Speaker 3: At home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage.
Speaker 5: Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 16: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 17: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health, the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 18: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burghers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 19: At Peyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peace, need more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Peyramids Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Peermid Federal Credit Union where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 9: Breaking down all they says at OHS. This is eye on the ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 5: Hey, welcome back to about here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with Mike Quinn today. Got one, we got ray, We got the calls coming in hopefully five two oh seven, four four zero.
Speaker 4: Give us a quick call, let us know how you're thinking. One. You got something.
Speaker 5: Page Backer's number one overall pick in the WNBA Drive just happened that first pick. Okay, so that was a shop shop Yeah, yeah, exactly, makes total sense.
Speaker 4: She is really good. Yeah, there's two things.
Speaker 3: The women's basketball team here beyond belief of what idea put together right, and then women's basketball in the real world of WNA. Who would have thought this was happening in it and just over the last couple of years of yeah, well, and there've been good players throughout the whole thing. I remember going to sure the Sparks, you know, the Who, the Sons, Who, the Phoenix team, Mercury, Mercury. I went to the first game twenty five years ago and it was like, Okay, this is cool.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 5: They've had you know, great players for years, uh in in in the league. But yeah, I think you know, Kaitlyn Clark definitely got people's excited and interested. Yeah, and then she had a foil, right, she had right, she had rees there was there was there was a foil. And uh, you know, a lot a lot of a lot of people are like upset that Page isn't getting the notoriety that Caitlyn did. It's it's like, look, Page has a very solid game. She plays good solid basketball. Calan Clark was exciting and she's shooting the ball from the from the from the bus, you know, I mean that was what that was about.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 4: It's like going, how far away can she shoot from?
Speaker 3: And and to to her credit, Page is just as good, if not crafty and and all that and obviously won a title.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I would.
Speaker 5: I would think that Pages more talented than than Caitlyn Clark. Is they played different positions and they do different things, have different strengths. But uh, I mean you went to go see him, didn't you go here?
Speaker 4: Paige?
Speaker 5: I didn't see Page? No, no, no, I'm sorry the Iowa Uh Tasi No, I went. I went to see Diane Tross. That's right, that's right to Phoenix, And I'm waiting to see when when they do the you know, retirement and retire jersey and all that other stuff that they're going to do. This here, I'll go to that. Uh, what's your fascination? Well, one, you know, she grew up in right right next to my hometown. So I've been following her since she was in high school. And then you know, my daughter was in high school and playing basketball when she was playing at Yukon and big deal, and so we were that was kind of a tie in between my you know, me and my daughter. Yeah, yeah, sure, and and so so those things matter, and so uh, you know it was it was Diane Tarassi Bobblehead night, and my daughter sends me a notes like you gotta go okay, so we did. Yeah, yeah, but yeah that's good.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 5: It is good, you know, I mean, look, they play a hell of a good basketball. You know, it's not you know, it's not like it used to be where it looked like a you know, an eighth grade boys team.
Speaker 4: So the send letters to Mike, not me. What's that?
Speaker 5: Send letters to Mike? Yeah yeah, well but I understood play play the game. The game is different. The game is definitely different. They have some very talented players, right, and.
Speaker 3: You always kind of want to know and she's kind of like, uh, the kit is like Steph Curry saw Stepp play yesterday. It was a fantastic tour. Just pulls up anywhere. You know, he does miss too. He's one of your volume shooters, right, but you don't mind seeing him shoot a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If I every time down, guess what I'm getting the ball to one dude, if you jama, don't dreama, don't don't shoot the ball, give it to that guy.
Speaker 5: Do you see that thing with Steve Kerr? They had a Steph was open on the on the wing and this this other player I don't even know who he was, Uh, pulled up and took a three and nobody hill. Yeah last night, it wasn't last night, was recently. But then you know Steve, Steve Kirk brings a guy. Because I'd like to introduce you to Steph Curry. You know when you see him give him the ball. Yeah, well last night that's who took the last shot. It was a horrible shot. Horrible shot.
Speaker 4: He was not set.
Speaker 3: He just maybe he just thought he'd ran out of time whatever, but he was could have got a better shot.
Speaker 4: It was a good game. Yeah, because Leonard went off too.
Speaker 1: Yeah hardwell yeah, him and and James Harden. They were going crazy.
Speaker 3: And I don't watch I rarely watch NBA play NBA regular season, but this kind of had NBA playoff for the kind of playoff game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that there's a lot of people that are turned off in the NBA game.
Speaker 4: Oh well, you think it is, It's a fact. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And and you know, I think that you know, college basketball March madness very exciting, but there are a lot of people that are like, you know, I'm like, Ki, these are these are the rich, spoiled brats too.
Speaker 3: No, and that's why I think that there's going to be a waning and excitement for stuff like this.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, that's I think that is helping the rise of women's basketball with pure.
Speaker 3: Basketball, and Brian called it, I mean that's what kind of talked about it all. Sure, you're going to put up with the spoiled kids playing mediocre basketball or more sports?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: How much you know, the conversation in the stands by the way, how much does he make?
Speaker 5: That's right? Exactly, Yeah, this is what I'm paying for. Yeah, yeah, no, it's it's it's different now. Yeah, so I'm.
Speaker 4: Saying you got it.
Speaker 5: There's they're still the same age, they're still eighteen years old, but you got to treat them different. I mean, they're they're not the eighteen year old that is, you know, eating ketchup sandwiches because they can't afford anything. You know, this is this is an eighteen year old that is driving around one of his Mercedes.
Speaker 4: Let me ask the kids, you see him on campus or do you? Sometimes? I do?
Speaker 3: And how do you You know how I feel? I don't even know how I feel, but it's strange to me. You guys see him, how do you feel? Because they're your age? It's crazy to think about.
Speaker 12: And I'm one of the I'm a senior and there's there's some that are younger than me.
Speaker 4: But I feel like I can't touch them.
Speaker 5: I feel like I can't get near them because they're so there's this aura about them there, there's the money behind it.
Speaker 4: It's weird. Yeah, no, it is weird.
Speaker 3: About twenty years ago, when I was in the heart of my sports writing career, there did a story on Singletary Singletary from the Bears' Mike Singletary, and it says We're just big dudes who play a good game very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And at the end of the day, that's how they are. Oh yeah, they're dudes talented who play a game very well. I guess guess what happens at the end of the career. They become you and me?
Speaker 5: Right, Oh sure, no, absolutely, And that's the thing, you know, It's like, well, I you know, it makes you wonder what these guys are doing with that money. You know, eighteen years old, here's a million dollars. It's like going, oh, okay, what are you going to buy? Like a lot of pixie sticks? Down at the down at the Okay, though, have you seen what they're wearing? Yeah, jewelry. Yeah, yeah, that's gonna last too. They're gonna want it hawk in that, you know, because you're not gonna do it, you know, not everybody's going to NBA really.
Speaker 4: Wants to say something. Oh no.
Speaker 1: It was just like getting back to that point that Juan was making. It does feel it's weird because like when you're on campus, they do feel like that, Like it feels like there's an air around them that it's like everyone's like, oh, don't don't go talk to him.
Speaker 2: Or anything like that.
Speaker 1: But like at the same time, like I remember seeing Ballow downtown a couple of times. I've seen like some of the football players at other places and like I'll go up and say, what's up to them?
Speaker 4: You know, and as you should guess what they're normal people like doing me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I remember being here and watching seeing Damon Statomaier. You know, it's like getting in a car and stuff like that, you know, and I was like, wh oh, there's Naven Stophom. You know when heck I was thirty years old. It's like I'm ten years older than him. I'm a captain in the army, and I'm like, oh, there's stuff. You know. It's like but usually I hate to bother you, but yeah, but yeah, it's like when hey, let's and I know you're a big deal being eighteen years old. You used to do that to me when we first met. Yeah, you were there. Hey there's a river, never a big deal. Could you just hit the ball river? Yeah, exactly, pull the ball. Pull the ball. I don't need another pop out to second.
Speaker 1: Funny enough to Actually there was one time it was after one of the football games and I was I was at O'Malley's and I saw the football team there and knowing how much these guys make, Like I saw of a feed.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, did you want me to buy you a drink or something? He's like, no, I got it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no exactly. That's not how rich people get rich. They don't have to buy anything. Yeah, can you drink?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Speaking to which are you seeing? Where T is gonna go?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: You know it's a different, completely different topic. Yeah, we gotta go now. No, we'll talk about that later. Yeah, we'll tell you we have time for that one. Hey, thanks for coming in. Yeah, thank great, great to be in. Its good to be invited in, even it's not a big show. Monday's Duo one right here. Thanks everybody.
Speaker 4: Thanks