Speaker 1: Time for law and disorder.
Speaker 2: I demand a lawyer with attorney Jeff Kaufman on one oh one one w JRR.
Speaker 3: We are Orlando's rock station. Jeff Kaufman has arrived, partner at Kaufman and Lynn Fine personal injury law firm here in Central Florida. If you or someone you know has been injured, you think you might need a legal representation, or you just don't know, pick up the phone, call Jeff or email him. Either way, he's going to tell you straight up. Yeah, it sounds like you might want to, you know, someone to represent you to get involved or no, perhaps not.
Speaker 2: And remember he practices law in several states, so if you're listening on the free iHeartRadio app, you know he might be doing your stay. How did the Tennessee trial wrap up last week?
Speaker 1: It was solid? I mean it was a good trial. Took care of our people, did what we need to do. You know what's what's amazing is I forgot all this stand up is you know, normally it takes you about a minute or two to get into a trial or well then you're talking to Jerry, you know, it takes like a couples man boom right in what because of stand up. Oh yeah, for the stand up for the last year or two. You know now when on.
Speaker 3: Jeff is also a stand up comedian.
Speaker 1: I do some stand up. I'm not professionalist as the other guys.
Speaker 3: Don't you have an event coming up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm actually headlining about fifty minutes Friday night at a place called The Corner, which is in downtown Orlando. It's one of the bokers clubs. So just go to ww dot Bonker's bo.
Speaker 2: N k e r z dot com Bunkers podcast with z and if you want to get in touch with Jeff directly, by the way, Pat, those his contacts are Jeff at when youneed us dot com, pound five four six on your cell or just call the number four zero seven five hundred Jeff, Jeff.
Speaker 3: A couple things that are in the news here I wanted to throw your way to see how you, as a personal injury litigator might handle this. This story went national last week involving Disney being sued over a food allergy death. Did you hear this story?
Speaker 1: The one that was in the old downtown Dessey which is now called.
Speaker 3: It was related from a dinner at Raglan Rode Irish pup yes, Disney Springs, Round Disney Springs, all these all these different places are rental.
Speaker 1: So Disney's get ensued, but it's actually a private company.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, anyway, what the story says is Disney goes you can't sue us because one of the bringers of the lawsuit subscribed to the Disney Plus streaming app and agreed in the terms of service that any kind of legal situations must be decided via arbitration. Yeah, how would you you're the lawyer. You have this client who has had the food allergy die. Their family wants to sue who they believe is responsible for this, and they're met with this argument.
Speaker 1: Just because I have Disney Plus. The question is do I get the tickets with Disney Plus. It's a lot of it. I don't think they're associated with each other. I mean, for example, like you don't know, but using Google for example, if you use Google AdWords, you say you're not never gonna sue Google, but if you have, if you get hurt on Google property, you know they can't keep you from suing because of a secondary issue. That's what we thought. Yeah, I don't I don't know if that argument is gonna work. I mean, that's what they're arguing that that's interesting. Well, anybody can argue anything, you know.
Speaker 3: But I also say that if you buy ticket I think it said if you buy tickets through the website, same terms of service.
Speaker 1: You know, if you have an issue with no, okay, that's not gonna fly. That's a nice argument, and yes you it'll it'll tie you up a little bit. But I can't imagine that that holds because that's clearly not the intention of the clause itself. That what is what is me being able to watch The Avengers on TV have to do with me dying on property? But here's a lot of people don't know this is it's kind of a little issue here. Disney is not really responsible for this restaurant, even though it's a secondary is. People don't get just I can rent to somebody and they could try to whold me responsible if I know they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing, or I could have stopped reasonably stopped them. But in this scenario, you have a completely separate tendant renting from Disney. Disney doesn't own this restaurant, you know, they just rent to a bunch of different people. That's like, you know, how can I say AMC something happened at the AMC down there and them trying to sue Disney. You know, it's going to be really difficult to show that Disney was responsible for you know, this issue.
Speaker 3: How about you were them real quick this one Jeff. Atlanta's Emory Hospital is the uh location where this happened. A guy named Fernando Cluster was taken to the hospital there back in twenty twenty two with brain bleed. A portion of his skull about the size of a saucer, was removed to relief pressure, and when the time came to replace the bone, the client says, the hospital couldn't find it. He and his my wife are now suing Emory, alleging that, in addition to the emotional pain and suffering caused by the incident, he was charging nearly one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for medical expenses directly related to the hospital's error, including nineteen thousand dollars for the synthetic skull implant that they had to come up with and use to replace the bone that they lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I can't even what normally happens in the situations like this. Okay, I'm going to tell you what normally happens in situations like this way the skull cap. Yeah yeah, that's a bad one.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: What normally happens in situations like this is the doctors normally don't charge him because they know it's going to come back to bite them, because this is this is part of the lawsuit going. Not only that you charge me, this, this and this, and that just only upsets jurors. You know that that's a bad way to do something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like big Brother, like the big company, you know, taken advantage of a normal person.
Speaker 1: What they're going to argue is this. They're gonna say, no, we couldn't put this one back in. That's that's what the argument's going to be. They're not gonna say, yeah, we lost it and doubled up, doubled down on them. They're gonna say, no, we this this was damaged. We couldn't put this back in. It wasn't good. There was a problem here. We had to use the synthetic because it was better. But they're never gonna say, oh, yeah, we uh we lost it then we doubled up on them. Yeah, would not even happen in this place, dude.
Speaker 2: So you know, all right, somebody said I'm dealing with a workman's comp case right now and had to ask a lot of weird questions from the workmen's comp insurance company lawyer, like what truck do I drive? And what color is it? Why would that be important in a deposition meeting? Well, what happens to depositions? They can basically ask whatever they want in a deposition as long as it might lead to something.
Speaker 1: They might say, oh, we just wanted a description of the truck. You would we wanted to? Depositions are just nons. You go in there and the guy on the other side asked like five hundred questions. Only maybe it's ten percent of them you could be used in a courtroom. But they can't ask most questions. So yes, they are silly. Just sit there, answer honestly. Hopefully. If you're an attorney that prepped you and is sitting with you, you know I wouldn't go to one of these things alone. But everyone makes their choices.
Speaker 3: Remember that deposition I had to sit through a couple of years ago with the lady this, I can't go in any detail here. I'll just tell you this. What you just described is what happened to me. I sat there and they asked me the same question about thirty five different ways, and I each time said, I don't know how much clearer I could be. No is the answer.
Speaker 1: No. The fact is this, you know, you got to be prepped. Don't allow yourself to get mad. That's what these depositions at the other attorney just wants to see what you're going to look like in trial and beat you up till you change your answer. The last few questions that you there's no way you can answer, hoping that you make something up.
Speaker 2: And I'm convinced that's why they did not interview me in this thing. I think there are Without saying too much, I think that our company lawyers, when I talked to him on the phone, I said, well technically and I said something. I think they were like, oh, no, this guy's we do not want him in there. So they only did pat and like somebody else would not. It was the other side that deposed you, not your company. Yeah, but your company doesn't get the side.
Speaker 3: I can confirm though. What he's basically saying is they put me on the front line and said taco you like, weren't even here that day.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, well that's what I mean. They go the company rep who was there, who's best to know the information, and they gave you.
Speaker 2: Well, they talked to him, they talked to me, they talked to somebody else who I want and.
Speaker 1: Guarantee, I guarantee.
Speaker 2: They said, this guy, you do not want them cross examining this guy.
Speaker 1: Bob, he's gonna but you would not be sitting next to me in the chair if I had a choice. No, I tell you, wait, I mean very here. But then again, I gotta be pat could lose his mind though, you know, he could get a little ornery, and I might not want that either.
Speaker 2: So I'm not quite sure how I'm doing this. That's why the show balances itself.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've been working on the length of my fuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah I have. Yes, you don't think you're getting more crotchety, getting less crotching.
Speaker 3: I know I'm getting less.
Speaker 2: Okay, he made it a New Year's resolution. I'm damn happy for it. You know something, I gave up drinking. Well, he didn't really make New Year's resolution because you didn't believe in those. But it's just something that he cities and do you gave up drinking?
Speaker 1: And Jack, I don't really drink, but I gave it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember you just come out with us when we were out for Thursday football and I have a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I never take anything serious. But then I realized, you know, I really don't need it, and I don't like the idea of being scammed because you get scammed, you know what tastes good with this one. I was in Vegas and one day, for a shot and a drink, they hit you up for twenty two dollars. Oh, of course, and then they go, you want to double that's forty four. I'm going two shots for forty four dollars and we're all dumb because we go, oh, well, you gotta get it. And I went to a show in Vegas the other day and they were like, I said, you know, I'm just gonna have a coconte, said nobody, like they were trying to shame me because I wasn't drinking, and I'm laughing. I'm going, God, you just made probably three times the concert sales in your alcohol department.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine the how much money we would have if we could get back all the money we spent on booze over the years.
Speaker 1: Have you gone to a restaurant lately you suddenly you wait, why is this bill so cheap? Because I didn't spend fifteen dollars on a drink? Yeah, Jack, You at every restaurant now, they go, oh, we have this cute drink menu, wear eighteen dollars drinks on and you go for a shot. Fortunately I drink just beer, so they'll still get you for eight dollars. Come on, for Jeff, I've been on a workman's comp case for six years? Is there anyway I said, guy from the last question.
Speaker 2: No, No, For Jeff, I've been on a work a worker's comp case for six years? Is there any way I can force a settlement?
Speaker 1: No? No, you can't force anything. What's happening here is you have your lawyer and their lawyer. You know, sometimes things just drag out. Six years seems a little bit, but you know I've seen cases like I just the case I just tried was four and a half years old. So sometimes it drags out because of evidence, because the court's delayed because they can't get certain witnesses. You know that happens. Six years seems like a little bit, you know, it seems a little long for the typical case. But I would ask the eachurn. I said, listen, hey, what what are my fair expectations for about how so we can get this done with? And if you can't, well, we don't know. I'm going to stop it after six years. You know, somebody should know something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, if we did not get to your question, don't worry. I'm printing them up and putting them in a stack for next week. I before you can reach out to Jeff today if you want directly yet, Jeff at when youneed us dot com pound five four six on your cell or four zero seven five hundred Jeff.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love that number. That's so much fun.
Speaker 3: That is good.
Speaker 1: Five three three three three, that's what Jeff is three three. I can't even say it. Five three three three. Friday Night real quick again. Yeah, Friday night at Bonkers at the corner downtown Orlando. I believe the show starts at around seven point thirty. Be there tickets online Bonkers. It's actually professional. But I'll tell you what, I've been enjoying the hell out of it Jeff fuck have a tremendous day. Appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Lenchin Taco on demand, download the iHeart Radio app