Speaker 1: And now to return to the ghost of Hurlston matter, Doctor Watson, Hurlston say, wasn't that the ancient country home of the Musgraves where Holmes discovered the crown of the Stuart King?
Speaker 2: Correct, mister Harris, absolutely correct, that this is another story, and to begin at the beginning. Holmes, as you know, in his uh cerebral processes, was the neatest and most methodical individual, But in his personal habits he was the untidiest man that ever drove a fellow lodger to distraction. Not that I'm what you'd call painfully tide in myself.
Speaker 3: On now, doctor Watson, you're always need as a pen with clipper crafts.
Speaker 2: That's easy, But don't interrupt me.
Speaker 4: Where was I?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, yes, I'm certainly not what you'd call prissy. But when I find a man who keeps his cigars in the cold, scuttle his tobacco in the toll of the Persian slipper, and his unanswered correspondence transfixed by jackknife in the very center of the mantelpiece, then I begin to give myself virtue of air. I don't doctor imagine then my surprise when on returning one afternoon from making my medical rounds, I found Homes in a stiff collar and wearing his Prince Albert. Furthermore, he was tidying up his chemical table and kicking his notebooks, papers and other impedimented out of sight under the sofa.
Speaker 3: Crime to be queen of the maid mother, For I'm to be queen of the may homes.
Speaker 2: What in Heaven's name is.
Speaker 3: The watson your overshoes kind of eave them outside? Can't have you tracking mud about holmes?
Speaker 2: Have you taken leave of your senses? Are you feeling well?
Speaker 3: Certainly I'm feeling well. Never felt better. But don't stand there with your mouth open like a ninny. Help me clear this litter off the sofa. But oh here take the scasogene in the morning papers, and here's the microscope and your top half. Oh good lord, there she is. Now, this is Reginald Musgrave. Of course she's coming to pay us.
Speaker 2: Call.
Speaker 3: Well, don't just stand there with that stuff. Rid away somewhere where for the lover behind the curtains of the door. Now wait, chuck it here in the umbrella.
Speaker 2: Stand hurry all right?
Speaker 4: All right there, ah.
Speaker 3: All neat and shipshape. Not a thing out of place except your back hair, Watson, do slap it down. There's a good chap.
Speaker 2: Oh, go to blazes.
Speaker 3: Well, well open the door for missus Musgrave. Opened the door?
Speaker 2: Whose you are the most exasprating man Mercy, How do.
Speaker 5: You do, Doc Watson?
Speaker 2: Won't you come in? Missus must Why it's not Missus Musgrave at all. It's the honorable Alice Adare, lady Maynooth's charming sister in law.
Speaker 6: I was Alisadair, doctor Watson until mister Holmes introduced me to his old castmate, Reginald Musgrave some months ago. It was one weekend last Scring when he escorted Lady Maynuth and myself down to Sussex to view the Stuart Crown. Right then and there I fell in love with Hurlstone and determined to become its mistress. Of course I had to marry Reggie to accomplish my purpose.
Speaker 3: Had him eeting out of her hand inside of twenty minutes, one flutter of our eyelid, and Reggie was a goner.
Speaker 2: And I never knew you even met the bladder, Sherlock.
Speaker 6: You mean you didn't tell him about the wedding now, really, that's too bad of you. Mister Holmes was best man, doctor Watson though. Oh, Reggie and I were married in a registry office. You know how skittery middle aged bachelors are about a big wedding.
Speaker 3: Well, my dear Alice, how are things at Helstone dreadful?
Speaker 6: I'm so annoyed with Reggie I'm hardly speaking to him. If he goes through with it, I shall divorce him, whether I have grounds or not. Goes through with what he's threatening to sell the estates.
Speaker 2: Oh good lord, no, Why the Musgraves have always lived.
Speaker 5: At Helstone, That's what I keep telling him.
Speaker 2: Besides, it's famous since the oldest inhabited building in the country.
Speaker 6: That's what he keeps telling me. He says it's too old to be inhabited any longer. He has absolutely no feeling for all those darling old mullioned windows and the beautiful old mantlepieces and paneling. Keeps on telling me it's damp and drafty. It's his rheumatism, of course, it makes him so unreasonable. That and that wretched Stuart Crown you discovered for him, Sherlock, did you have to do that?
Speaker 3: But my dear Alice, he was delighted when we found the Royal Diadem. If I'd handed him a million pounds, he couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 6: Well, it's turned out to be a regular Frankenstein's monster. People come from all over to see the stupid thing. They come in drones, by carriage, and cherubar and lorry they come and being their lunches.
Speaker 5: We haven't a moment's privacy.
Speaker 3: Why doesn't he send it off to a museum where it belongs, because that's.
Speaker 6: What the government wanted him to do in the first place. Where all things have been going from bad to worse. All those trippers tramping through the shrubbery were bad enough, But that dreadful boy yesterday afternoon, that's what really put the the petticoats on the queen.
Speaker 3: What boy are you referring to, Alice?
Speaker 6: That horrible little urchin we found in the tea garden pulling up ridges, prize petunia by the roots?
Speaker 7: Hell, here, I say, what's this? What's this?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 8: It's alpha Anette picking old flowers. He is I do love night, say, well, tell.
Speaker 9: Them to stop. Those are not wild flowers. Those are my best important French petunias.
Speaker 8: Frenchy, Well, what do you know that's enough, Alpie.
Speaker 3: That's up, posies.
Speaker 8: And now we'll go and see the pretty crown.
Speaker 5: And I want to see enough crown. Want to big posy stop it.
Speaker 7: I say, put that plump back where you found it.
Speaker 8: I do like the old man tells you, Alvi, and wipe your ill.
Speaker 9: Tell him to stop that infernal racket, or I shan't formit. You to see the crown at all?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, hold on there. You can't refuse to an alpha set the crown. It's historic. He's got as might try to look at it as you have.
Speaker 10: That's sentenced. I'll sell the place and the grounds and the running crown as well. I'll sell it to Plunket, the pickle king. See if I don't, good, Lord, don't tell me. Old Plunketters offered to buy Hurston.
Speaker 5: So it seems Sherlock.
Speaker 6: I told Reggie if he even thought of it, I'd never speak to him again.
Speaker 5: But that only made him more determined. You have no idea how that he can be.
Speaker 7: A big headed? Is the word, my dear abbis.
Speaker 6: Yes, perhaps you are right. That's what comes of his staying a bachelor until he was pushing forty.
Speaker 3: Here that Watson, that it had be a lesson to you.
Speaker 2: He was probably waiting until you happened along, missus Musgrave.
Speaker 6: Right, doctor Watson, what a charming thing to say. He must make Sherlock bring you down for the weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: What weekend? I'm attending? No elegant weekend parties at Helstone.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, you are.
Speaker 6: You are responsible for this brainstorm of bridges. If you hadn't discovered that wretched crown, he wouldn't want to sell the place. And if it weren't for the Crown, I'm sure Hennessip Plunkett wouldn't dream of buying it.
Speaker 2: Hurlstone in the possession of Hennis Hip Plunkett, the pickle King, it'd be sacrilege.
Speaker 6: He even talks about putting out a new brand Crown pickles with a picture of the Stuart Crown on.
Speaker 2: The bottle, or shocking that taste.
Speaker 6: I will not have that dreadful old vulgarian strutting around the property. He'd ruined it in no time, Sherlock, You and doctor Watson simply must come down and help me to save Hurlstone from that pickled pedler.
Speaker 5: Mister Plunkett. But how delightful to have you here for a visit.
Speaker 4: Never buy anything before try to sample of it, ma'am. Might not be able to sleep here. Get terrible insomnia sometimes in the country.
Speaker 5: Well, of course, the.
Speaker 6: Frogs and crickets around Helston are all the noisy ol rot divas.
Speaker 7: Take mister Plucket's things up to the blue room next to the box.
Speaker 4: Hold on there, Musgrave. Is that the room King Charles hit out in when he was beating it up north to Scotland.
Speaker 6: No, the steel room is in the old wing, mister Plunkett. You wouldn't want to sleep there. There's well, there's no plumbing in that part.
Speaker 5: Of the house.
Speaker 4: Look here, miss Musgrave. I was a grown man before I even know there was such a thing as indoor plumbing. Besides, what's good enough for King Charles? Good enough for me?
Speaker 5: Yes, But that is if you're a light sleeper, well the ghost might keep you awake.
Speaker 4: Ghost here, I was grave. You didn't tell me Hurlstone had a ghost. Why?
Speaker 5: Of course the Stewart room has always.
Speaker 9: Had a ghosts ridiculous. Charles didn't die there, Alice, he only hid there for a week or so.
Speaker 6: Pay no attention to reach mister Plunkett. He doesn't begin to know all the historical facts about this house. Now, since I came here, I've been reading up on all the old documents in the library. This house has had a frightening and gory history.
Speaker 5: Mister Plunkett, Oh Alice.
Speaker 4: Really, well, what do you know? I guess those Britishers were kind of rugged in the olden days. So the place has a ghost. He You know, I've always sort of had a hankering to me to spook. Don't have anywhere I come.
Speaker 5: From, really, no ghosts in Pittsville.
Speaker 4: Pittsburgh, That's where I hear from, Miss Musgrave. I was born a shack in Shannytown. Imagine if ire stand up sleeping in the bed King Charles slept in, he with a ghost.
Speaker 5: Besides, it's rather an unpleasant ghost.
Speaker 6: I'm afraid the ghost of Lady Daphney who shot her lover in the way.
Speaker 4: You don't say, tell me about it.
Speaker 6: Well, it seems that Lady Daphne's husband was always going off to the wars, leaving her behind with her housekeeping and her needlework. Now women didn't read in those days, you know, so she had no good books to divert her mind. Suddenly one morning, a young huntsman, all in green, drove up on a chestnuts stallion.
Speaker 8: Nice colorccommodation, my dear, don't interrupt, Reggie.
Speaker 6: Well, it seemed that he'd been gored by a deer or something, so Lady Dafne put him in the best guest room the.
Speaker 7: King Charles had made famous.
Speaker 6: Don't miss, stupid Reggie. This was back in the days of the Plantagenets. The Stuarts hadn't.
Speaker 5: Even been heard of.
Speaker 6: Lady Dafne nursed the huntsman back to health and fell in love with him. It created quite a scandal, I guess, because pretty soon even though Rod Musgrave heard about it and came sneaking back from the wars one dark night.
Speaker 4: Very unsporting of them.
Speaker 6: Rather yeah, well, of course you couldn't really sneak very successfully in the armor they wore in those days.
Speaker 5: So the Lady Daphne and her.
Speaker 6: Lover heard him tiptoing up the hall, and quick as a flash, Lady Daphne shoved her lover into a sort of cupboard in the wainscutting, and when Lord Musgrave came clattering in, she was back in bed, sound asleep.
Speaker 5: She looked so pretty there. He didn't have the heart to wake her.
Speaker 6: He just called a couple of his serving men, and they boarded up the closet with the lover inside.
Speaker 9: And the lady and her lover were so terrified they never said boom, and the poor chap just sat there and quietly suffocated to death.
Speaker 5: Hejie, I thought you didn't know that story.
Speaker 7: Yes, I fancy I've read that manuscript at some time or other.
Speaker 6: Well, finally, after several days, the Lady Daphne couldn't stand the strain any longer. She took out her husband's revolver and fired a shot through the wainscutting, and pretty soon a slow trickle of blood came out under the floor.
Speaker 7: That's a departure I hadn't read about.
Speaker 6: Lord Musgrave pretended not to notice, but went calmly back to the walls. The Lady Daphne's hair turned completely white, of course, and you can still see her one ring about the room, moaning and wringing her hands. So, dear mister Plunkett, I really don't think you should sleep in the Stewart room if you suffer from insomnia.
Speaker 4: Oh don't you worry, Miss Musgrave. If anyone's gonna be scared tonight, it'll be Lady Daphney, not.
Speaker 9: Me, Passir Dr Watson the pot Sherlock. That's a good fellow. His glass is empty. Oh oh, what's up, Reggie. Oh just a twinge in my left knee. Must be a storm coming up. That knee's a regular barometer.
Speaker 4: Hm dashed fine port you have, Musgrave must be old.
Speaker 7: My dear mister Pluckett. The port in this house was laid down by my great grandfather.
Speaker 4: Oh, we don't say the cellar goes to the house, of course.
Speaker 9: What remains of it? Only three bottles left beside this one. Fraid all my forebears have been heavy pot drinkers.
Speaker 2: Must Grave Port has always been famous, mister Plankett.
Speaker 7: Oh, yes, to Watson.
Speaker 9: Nothing could persuade be the pop of the place that we still had the cellar we had my grandfather's or even my father's day. Oh well, sick concert laureamum dip ah.
Speaker 7: Confound at me.
Speaker 2: It's a reliable weather profit at any rate, Here comes the storm.
Speaker 4: I can't say I like thunderstorms. Never have got some bad ones in the Alleghenies. When I was a boy, I've seen lightning bounce off of those mountains like it was the devil playing nine pins. All was crawled into my old man's feather bed when I heard it coming. Lightning can't get you if you're in a feather bed. Yeah, you wouldn't have a feather bed here at Urlstone.
Speaker 7: Why, yes, we have some either down coverlets, I believe. But don't you need to be too warm? I mean he's still in the beginning of September.
Speaker 4: The blazers with the heat. You tell Devers to bring me a couple up to my room. I'm gonna get into bed right now, and you can light the fire in that fireplace, yes.
Speaker 8: Sir, but if you're going to retire, don't give.
Speaker 4: Me an argument. Lightning has a habit of coming down chimneys. It's not a kind of the draft and the cold air. But if there's a fire lit in his hot air going up, it can't get in.
Speaker 5: That was a close one, wasn't It sounded like it hit the old oak.
Speaker 11: Lightning is always hitting the old oak, but it doesn't seem to mind that was the oak mentioned in the ritual.
Speaker 8: You know, I've been here since the Norman invasion. They say light that fire.
Speaker 2: That blast hit a very good sir, very good.
Speaker 4: There you are, said, helped me off with my boots?
Speaker 8: Why you are shifting?
Speaker 2: So that's the fact.
Speaker 3: I can even hear your teeth chattering.
Speaker 4: Never mind my teeth hamming my night shirt.
Speaker 5: Should I bring you some water to wash and brush your teeth?
Speaker 4: I don't brush my teeth. I curt ot m I'm getting in the bed.
Speaker 8: Anything else, Just get out and leave me to get to sleep.
Speaker 4: Yes, if you.
Speaker 11: Should want anything, I'm afraid you'll just have to yell. So there's no bell in this part of the house. Yell good and louds and maybe someone will hear you. Else I'll blow out the candle. Huh h good ice pleasantry.
Speaker 4: H begs cold as an icebox. H storm has blown over, Thank heaven. That's that. Mhm, mice must be mice. Oh place probably full of mice. I have to clean him out if I buy the house. No, what would work? Creaking always does in old houses. Lord, it's quiet. I can even hear the storm.
Speaker 2: Was that.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a woman's skirts as a draft casement must have blown open. It's a curtain rustling. That's what it is. Old houses full of drafts, noises, and maybe I should think twice before I buy the place. Still Blunkets Crown pickles with the picture of the Stuart Crown, good advertising. It sounds just like a woman's petticoat. I'm founded that fire is dying down shadows, nothing but shadows. That is a woman's petticoat. But I can't see anyone. Oh, rubbish, Plunket's no such thing as ghosts. No such.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 4: Wind coming up? Wind in the chimney? For yourself together, Plunket, h when the time it is a light match? Come a watch? Yeah, it's half a minute to midnight. Midnight and the ghosts and god balloons no match. Burn my fingers found that creaking. I'm beginning to imagine things for eh could swear there was some one else in this room with me. Oh, don't be an idiot, Blunket.
Speaker 7: Who could it be?
Speaker 4: Who could pass me.
Speaker 7: A shot? A gunshot right here in this room? Help help someone shooting at me?
Speaker 3: Help matches.
Speaker 4: I like the candle.
Speaker 2: You gotta get out of here.
Speaker 4: Floors, icy floors. Oh there's something wet and sticky. I stopped in it. Oh blasted, My hand's shaking, so I can't light the candle. Oh last, Now, let's have a look. There's something on the floor. It's red.
Speaker 7: It's blood.
Speaker 4: It's triggering out of the winds, got him beside the fireplace.
Speaker 7: Help help hit me out of here, Hit me out, yes.
Speaker 4: Shot must grave. You heard the shots. That ghost came in here and shot at me.
Speaker 7: Oh nonsense, Alice only made up that story.
Speaker 4: They couldn't. Oh no, you don't. I know what I've been shot at. You couldn't give me this house? Now, where's my pants?
Speaker 12: Don't be an ass plunket. No one could have shot at you. There was no one in this room but yourself, maybe no living person. But look over there next to the fireplace. Someone shot that hole in the woodwork.
Speaker 7: Oh rubbish, that's anothole, just a loothole.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and what is that stuff trickling out under the floor?
Speaker 5: Great heavens, Reggie, it's blood.
Speaker 4: Of course it's blood. Where's my coat and shoes?
Speaker 8: Just can't be blood. No one could be behind the paneling.
Speaker 7: But this is too fantastic. I'm going to rip open the woodwork.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't advise it, my dear Reggie. Not one of the plunkets here. He doesn't look as if he could stand another shock. Better not reveal the muskrave hordor before strangers.
Speaker 4: Don't you know right, mister Holmes, I don't want no truck with family skeletons. I've had enough. I'm getting out. I don't ever want to see any part of her start again.
Speaker 6: Wait, mister Blunkett, you can't go like that the prayers as I can't, but you've forgotten your teeth.
Speaker 1: And now, before Sherlock Holmes and Vaginal Musgrave discover what lies behind the wainscoting, may I give you a suggestion. Take an expert like your wife or your best girl along with you when you go to choose your new clipper Craft suit her overcoat. See her amazement when she sees the beautiful tailoring, the clean cut, smartness, and the firm, long wearing fabrics that are yours at such modest prices. She'll say, how do they do it? Just as everyone else does when they're face to face for the first time with Clippercraft. Forty and forty five dollars for clipper Craft suits, eighty dollars for top coats and overcoats, and twenty six fifty for sport jackets are low. Prices that are the result of the famous clipper Craft Plan. They'd be impossible without this wonderful idea that concentrates the buying power of ten hundred thirty six stores across the nation. Yes, selling expensive clothes at inexpensive low prices at the nation's finest independent stores is the great, big idea behind the clipper Craft Plan. That's why men who know insist on clipper Craft clothes. So be sure to visit the clipper Craft store in your city.
Speaker 13: These leading stores in the metropolitan area are proud to add their names to Clippercraft and your Suit top cod and Overcoat. In Manhattan Sacks thirty fourth Broadway at thirty fourth, John Wannamaker's Men's Stores Broadway at eighth and sixty seven Liberty Street. In Brooklyn, Abraham and Strauss in Newark, New Jersey, Boulevard Men's Shop Cresky, Newick, And in Jamaica the B and B Clothes Shop, one sixty four oh eight Jamai Avenue.
Speaker 1: And now to return to Hurlston, Manor, where Sherlock Holmes and Reginald Muskrave are ripping away the wainscutting and the storic room.
Speaker 8: Oh dear, I do.
Speaker 5: Wish you wouldn't open up that paneling.
Speaker 6: Reggie better let sleeping dogs lie and all that. I had no idea that ghost story I made up would turn out to be true.
Speaker 7: Stop litterly Gallison had me that chisel.
Speaker 6: I wish i'd never thought up that ghost. I wish I'd never mentioned it to old Plunket. I never dripped there would be anything behind that paneling.
Speaker 3: Calm your southallis. It's not as bad as you think it is. As a matter of fact, I suspect that Reggie is in for a rather pleasant surprise.
Speaker 5: There was a shot, two shots.
Speaker 3: I heard them distinctly, two explosions, possibly shots. No, I rather imagine the heat of the fire caught them. Reggie, how long since you had a fire in that fireplace?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 9: At least, god as what if I can remember? No one's used this part of the house in the other wing was built during the reign of William and Mary confound that this paneling won't But yeah, I finally got a wedge in here.
Speaker 7: Help me pry it loose.
Speaker 3: One two already I wish you wouldn't three.
Speaker 2: By Joe Holmes. There is a closet back of the paneling. But it's filled with bottles, Dozens and dozens of bottles, covered with dust and cobwebs.
Speaker 3: Yes, and two of the bottles have exploded from the heat.
Speaker 7: Of the fire. Here, let's have a look at one of them.
Speaker 3: It won't be necessary. I can tell you what's in them, Port, excellent Port. I rather suspect my original that your revered grandfather had a rather special hiding place in this room. But how do you know it's port by the aroma? My olfactory nerves are rather highly developed, you know. The moment I entered the room, I knew that the ruddy fluid mister Plunkett had stepped into wasn't blood, but something far more interesting, A superior and venerable vintage of port wine.
Speaker 9: Good Lord, And to think I nearly sold the place of that old Ruffian with all these bottles still in it, I've never forgiven myself.
Speaker 7: He never have appreciated them.
Speaker 6: Never, Oh Reggie, then you're not angry with me for spoiling our sale. I just couldn't bear to think of leaving Hurlstone.
Speaker 9: Oh there, my dear, I forgive you. And the next time you think up a ghost story, do try to be a bit more original. I read you, what do you mean Old Plunkett hadn't been a completely narramis, he'd have recognized the incident of the lover being bricked up in the woodwork. It's one of the most famous bits of French literature, you know.
Speaker 2: By Joe. Of course, no wonder I thought had sounded familiar.
Speaker 3: I don't so much mind your swiping your plots, my dear, arras the best storytellers, do you know, asked doctor Watson our Holmes. You must try to be a trifle more accurate, you know. Anachronisms are taboo, my dear, in the best literary circles.
Speaker 5: I shall not.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, No Cantagenet lady would go popping at her lover with a pistol?
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 3: They hadn't been invented. Oh, I'd admit, gunpowder was not unknown. Cannon were undoubtedly used at Cressy and Poitier, but personal firearms for private homicide were quite unavailable.
Speaker 5: Oh dear, next time, I'll say she finished him off with a bow and arrow.
Speaker 9: Well, never mind the historical inaccuracies. This panel has been dusty work, and I'm parched. What do you say, we break out a bottle and see if the contents of grandfather's private vault is up to standard.
Speaker 3: An excellent idea, my dear Reggie.
Speaker 7: An excellent idea.
Speaker 5: Very well, But I warn you this is one time the ladies do not leave the table while the port goes round.