Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome to the deep dive. So data driven decisions are pretty much everywhere.
Speaker 2: Now, right, absolutely, and machine learning is you know, a massive part of that picture.
Speaker 1: It really is. But let's be honored. Jumping into machine learning it can still feel like, well, like a whole new world to navigate for a lot of folks. Definitely, what if there was something powerful, really versatile and genuinely accessible, especially if you're already working.
Speaker 2: In the dot net world, And that's exactly what we're digging into today. We're doing a deep dive into mL dot net. That's Microsoft's machine learning framework, right.
Speaker 1: Our mission here is basically to pull out the most important stuff from the well the comprehensive guide on it. We want to give you a real shortcut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gets you well informed on building, optimizing, and deploying machine learning models using mL dot net exactly.
Speaker 1: You'll get the basics, see how it's actually used, understand the steps even if you're not you know, a machine learning guru.
Speaker 2: Right now, So where did it even come from? Let's start there, MLT and that it actually started life as an internal thing at Microsoft.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, like an in house tool exactly.
Speaker 2: Which kind of shows you how central machine learning was becoming to them even back then.
Speaker 1: And what's really compelling is that then in twenty eighteen they did something pretty big. They released it as open source, which wasn't just like dropping code. It was really an invitation, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It really was. It means mL dot net has grown massively, not just from Microsoft engineers, but the whole developer community chipping in.
Speaker 1: That open source approach that brings transparency, collective brain power. Yeah, makes it really solid totally.
Speaker 2: And the real power I think comes down to how accessible and versatile it is. It's not just built for one specific kind of problem. It handles a whole bunch of mL tasks, you know, classification, regression, clustering, even those complex recommendation systems. It's like a full AI toolkit.
Speaker 1: And its platform independent, runs on Windows.
Speaker 2: LFS, YEP, works wherever you work.
Speaker 1: But the real kicker, I think, especially for listeners who are dot net devs, is that deep integration.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: If you're already working in C shark, F sharp, maybe VB dot net, you use the tools, you know, the libraries, you know, that barrier to entry just drops way down.
Speaker 2: It does, and that adaptability it means you can stick machine learning smarts right into your desktop apps, web apps, mobile.
Speaker 1: Apps, So it's not just for dedicated mL engineers anymore, exactly.
Speaker 2: It kind of democratizes it within the dot net space. Any dot net dev can start using AI.
Speaker 1: Okay, So inevitably people will ask, how does it compare, you know, to other frameworks out there, Like psyche learn is huge in the Python world, right it is.
Speaker 2: And it's fantastic. Psychic learn offers a really comprehensive set of tools for Python developers.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 2: But mL net well, mlnet really shines in its niche, which is accessibility and just ease of use, especially if you're already comfortable in dot net. The big advantage is working where you already live, basically, which leads to the question, right, why go learn a whole new language and tool chain.
Speaker 1: If you can bring mL right into your existing c sharp projects, say.
Speaker 2: Exactly, leverage the skills you've already got.
Speaker 1: That makes a ton of sense. Using what you know is always faster. Okay, But maybe stepping back for a second for someone who's heard machine learning but isn't totally clear, Yeah, can we break down the basics what is it? And then how does mL dot net help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good idea. So, at its heart, machine learning is about letting computer systems learn from data without you having to explicitly program every single rule.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they learn how like recognizing patterns?
Speaker 2: Yeah, making predictions, precisely recognizing patterns, making predictions, even getting better over time based on the data they.
Speaker 1: See, which naturally brings up What are they learning from? That probably needs a few key terms.
Speaker 2: Right, it does. So first you've got data that's just the raw stuff, text, images, numbers, whatever.
Speaker 1: You're working like, Okay, data, got it.
Speaker 2: Then within that data you have features. These are the specific measurable characteristics or tributes the model looks at.
Speaker 1: Like if you're predicting house prices, the features might be square footage, number of.
Speaker 2: Deadrooms exactly, location, age of the house, those kinds of things, things that influence the outcome.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then labels.
Speaker 2: Labels are the answer. You're trying to predict the target variable. So in spam detection, the label is spam or not.
Speaker 1: Spam, simple enough, And the models.
Speaker 2: Are the models are the algorithms themselves. They're trained on the data to learn the relationship between the features and the labels. They're kind of the brain that makes the prediction.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So data features, labels, models the building.
Speaker 2: Blocks, right, and these models learn in different ways. The main paradigm is probably supervised learning.
Speaker 1: Supervised meaning it has the answers already.
Speaker 2: Kind of it learns from labeled data data where you already know the correct output the label. This is super common for tasks like.
Speaker 1: Classification assigning categories.
Speaker 2: Right, or regression where you're predicting a continuous number like a price.
Speaker 1: Okay, what else?
Speaker 2: Then you have unsupervised learning. This deals with unlabeled data. The goal isn't to predict a known label, but to find hidden structures or patterns within the data itself.
Speaker 1: Ah, so like grouping similar customers together exactly.
Speaker 2: Clustering is a classic example, or simplifying data, which is dimensionality reduction. And just briefly, there's also reinforcement learning training agents through rewards and penalties, and semi supervised which mixes labeled and unlabeled data.
Speaker 1: That's quite a spectrum, and mL net has tools for these.
Speaker 2: It does for a really wide array. Take classification that's putting data into pre defined buckets. It could be binary classification.
Speaker 1: Just two options like spam not spam, fraud not fraud.
Speaker 2: Sentiment analysis positive and negative review all those yes, no type questions.
Speaker 1: Or it could be multi class classification more than two options yep.
Speaker 2: Think recognizing handwritten numbers zero through nine, or sorting news articles into topics like sports, politics, tech.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about predicting numbers.
Speaker 2: That's regression, predicting house prices, stock prices, sales figures, any numerical value. Mlnet is great at that too.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned clustering earlier, finding.
Speaker 2: Groups right Grouping similar data points without knowing the groups beforehand, really useful for customer segmentation, finding different user types, or even anomaly detection in some cases.
Speaker 1: Speaking of anomaly detection, finding the odd ones.
Speaker 2: Out exactly, spotting unusual patterns that don't fit the norm. Think network intrusion detection or monitoring machine health for predictive maintenance.
Speaker 1: It sounds incredibly useful, and.
Speaker 2: It goes further ranking search results, building recommendation engines, forecasting future trends, image classification, object detection in images. It comes a lot of ground.
Speaker 1: That's a seriously broad toolkit, and what gets really interesting is seeing how this translates into actual business value. Can we talk about some real world examples.
Speaker 2: Sure, look at e commerce recommendation systems are huge, suggesting products you might like based on what you've looked at or bought.
Speaker 1: Amazon saying customers who bought this also bought precisely.
Speaker 2: That's mL It also drives dynamic pricing, adjusting prices based on demand, and analyzing customer reviews automatically for sentiment.
Speaker 1: And in healthcare, I know there's a lot happening there, huge.
Speaker 2: Potential things like medical diagnoses support predicting disease risk. You mentioned the Cleveland Clinic heart disease data earlier. Mlnet can analyze data like that to help identify patterns linked to heart disease, potentially leading to earlier diagnoses.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's impactful definitely.
Speaker 2: Then in manufacturing, think predictive maintenance. Using sensor data to predict when a machining might fail before it happens. Saves a lot of downtime and money.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Finance, big use cases in fraud detections, spotting suspicious transactions in real time, and complex risk assessment for loans or investments.
Speaker 1: And even just everyday customer service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, powering smarter chatbots that can actually understand and resolve issues, or automatically analyzing customer feedback, emails or calls for sentiment to see if people are generally happy or frustrated. It's really weaving into.
Speaker 1: Everything, it really is. Okay, So, if someone's convinced they want to try this, what's the actual process? The workflow for building a model with mL dot net right.
Speaker 2: mL dot net guides you through a pretty clear logical workflow. It breaks down into data preparation, then model training, followed by model evaluation and tuning, and finally model deployment and integration.
Speaker 1: A structured approach keeps things manageable exactly. Okay, let's start the beginning data preparation you said earlier, garbage in, garbage out. This sounds critical.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. The quality and honestly the quantity of your data directly shaped how good your model can be. So getting the data right is job one.
Speaker 1: So how do you ensure good data? Step one is just getting it right?
Speaker 2: Data collection yep, gathering it from wherever it lives, text files, csvs, databases, APIs. mL dot net helps here with tools like textloader for files and databaseloader for databases, simplifying that import process.
Speaker 1: Okay, So You've got the raw data, but it's probably messy.
Speaker 2: Almost always, which brings us to data cleaning. This is about finding and fixing problems, errors, inconsistencies, missing values big part of the job.
Speaker 1: How do you fix like missing values?
Speaker 2: A couple of ways. You could just remove rows or columns that have missing data using something like drop missing values, but you have to be careful there. You don't want to throw away too much valuable info. Often a better approach is imputation. That's where you replace the missing value with best guess, maybe the average mean or the middle value median for that feature. mL net has tools like replace missing values for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, clean data, What next? I remember you mentioned things like text labels need.
Speaker 2: Handling, right, that's data encoding. Most algorithms need numbers, not text, like red or blue, so you have to convert categorical data. Common ways are one hot encoding, where each category red, green, blue gets its own column with a one or zero.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, so like arid is green is blue exactly?
Speaker 2: Or label encoding, where you just assign a unique number to each category like red one, green, two, blue three. The choice depends on the algorithm and the data.
Speaker 1: Got it anything else in data prep, Yes.
Speaker 2: Super important. Normalization and scaling. Think about your features. Age might be twenty to eighty, well, income might be thirty thousand to five hundred thousand. Huge difference in scale.
Speaker 1: And that difference can mess up the model.
Speaker 2: It can. Some algorithms give more weight to features with larger values just because they're bigger numbers, not because they're more important. So scaling puts everything on a level playing field.
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 2: Techniques like standardization, which transforms data to have a mean of zero and a standard deviation of one or minmac scaling, which squishes everything into a specific range usually zero to one.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Prevent one feature from dominating exactly.
Speaker 2: And the last piece, which can be really powerful is feature engineering.
Speaker 1: Engineering features like creating new ones precisely.
Speaker 2: It's about using your domain knowledge or sometimes just creativity to transform the raw data into features that are more meaningful for the model.
Speaker 1: Like the VMI example you gave earlier, calculating it from heightened weight.
Speaker 2: Perfect example, instead of giving the model raw height and weight, you give it BMI, which might be a much better predictor for certain health outcomes. Good feature engineering can seriously boost your model's accuracy, make it easier to understand, and even help prevent overfitting. It's where art meets science.
Speaker 1: A bit fascinating. So data prep is done. Now we get to the core right model training, evaluation, and tuning.
Speaker 2: Yep, the brains of the operation, and mlnet gives you a couple of great ways to approach this. The mL dot net Model Builder and the mL dot net Cli.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about the model builder. Sounds friendly, It really is.
Speaker 2: It's a graphical tool right inside visual studio. Makes things much simpler, especially if you're starting out. It helps with pre processing, picking models. It even does some automated feature engineering and hyper parameter tuning for you.
Speaker 1: So it hides some of the complexity it does.
Speaker 2: You can visually pick your scenario like sentiment analysis using Yelp reviews, point it at your data, choose where to run it like your local machine, and it guides you through. It even suggests algorithms.
Speaker 1: Nice. What about the cli command line interface.
Speaker 2: That's for folks who like the command line or need automation. It's very powerful for scripting for integrating mL model training into say a CICD pipeline or other automated workflows.
Speaker 1: How do you get these tools?
Speaker 2: Pretty standard dot net ways. Now get package manager for the libraries and for the cli. It's a dot net tool. So dot net tool installed, gml net straightforward.
Speaker 1: Okay, tools installed. How does the actual training and evaluation work?
Speaker 2: Well, First you pick a learning algorithm. mL net calls these trainers and they cleverly package an algorithm with a specific task type. Then, crucially, you split your prepared.
Speaker 1: Data into training and testing sets exactly.
Speaker 2: You train the model on the training set, let it learn the patterns. Then you use the testing set that data the model hasn't seen before to evaluate how well it performs.
Speaker 1: And how do you measure performance.
Speaker 2: Depends on the task. For classification, you might look at accuracy, how many did it get right? Maybe log loss. For regression, common metrics are mean absolute error MAE or root means squared error RMS, measuring how fall off the predictions were on average.
Speaker 1: Okay, and choosing the algorithm the trainer you said, it's part art, part science.
Speaker 2: It is factors like your data size and type, how fast you need training to be, how complex or interpretable you need the model to be. They all play a role.
Speaker 1: mL net has trainers for all the tasks.
Speaker 2: You mentioned pretty much. Yeah, like says care aggression trainer for regression, like to be a binary trainer for binary classification, K means trainer for clustering, and many others.
Speaker 1: And I remember you mentioned o NNX. Some trainers can export to that.
Speaker 2: That's right. O NNX is the Open Neural Network Exchange format. Being able to export means you can train in mL dot net, but maybe deploy or use the model in other environments or frameworks like TensorFlow or PyTorch huge for interoperability.
Speaker 1: What kinds of algorithms are we talking about? Broadly?
Speaker 2: A good mix. You've got linear models like average perceptron often good for text, powerful decision tree methods like light GBM, fast tree, fast force, great vertabular data gams which are good for explainability, SVMs K means for clustering, naive bays, even matrix factorization for building recommendation systems. Lots of choice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you train a model, evaluate it, but maybe it's not good enough yet. What's hyper parameter tuning?
Speaker 2: Ah? Good question. Hyper Parameters are like the settings or knobs on your learning algorithm before you start training. They aren't learned from the data itself. You the developer, set them.
Speaker 1: What do they control?
Speaker 2: Things like how fast the model learns, learning rate, how complex it's allowed to get, how much it tries to avoid overfitting regularization, Maybe things like maximum number of iterations, how long it trains for.
Speaker 1: You need to find the best setting for these knobs exactly.
Speaker 2: That's tuning. Mlnet offers ways to help automate this, like grid search trying all combinations in a grid, or you can implement things like random search or Bayesian optimization to explore the possibilities more intelligently.
Speaker 1: Seems important for squeezing out performance. What about cross validation?
Speaker 2: Heard that term a lot crucial technique. It helps you get a more reliable estimate of how well your model will actually perform on unseen data, and it's a key way to fight overfitting.
Speaker 1: Does it work?
Speaker 2: The most common type is kfold cross validation. You split your data into say k five chunks or folds. You train the model five times. Each time, you train on four folds and test on the one left overfold, rotating which fold is the test set.
Speaker 1: Ah, So you test on all the data eventually, but never on data was trained on in that specific run.
Speaker 2: Exactly, then you average the performance across the five runs. Gives you a much more robust evaluation than a single train to split.
Speaker 1: Are there variations?
Speaker 2: Yep, Leave one out is where k equals your number of data points. Very thorough but slow for large data sets and stratified kfold is important for imbalanced data ensuring each fold has roughly the same proportion of different classes as the original data set.
Speaker 1: Okay, that whole training and tuning process makes sense. So you've got a model you're happy with. What's next? Model deployment and integration, getting.
Speaker 2: It out there right, bringing it to life. And a key part of this is being able to save and load your trained model. You want to preserve this hard earned knowledge.
Speaker 1: Right, Definitely don't want to retrain every.
Speaker 2: Time, no way. Reusing pre trained models saves a massive amount of time. So the process involves serialization serialization. It's basically converting the model's internal state, its structure, the learned weights, all metadata into a format that can be saved to a file, usually a compact byte stream.
Speaker 1: Okay, saving it and getting it back.
Speaker 2: That's de serialization, reading that saved file, that byte stream, and converting it back into a working model. Object in your application ready to make predictions.
Speaker 1: What format does it save in?
Speaker 2: Mlnet's default is its own native binary format. It's generally the fastest and supports all mL net features, so it's often recommended.
Speaker 1: But you also mentioned ONNX before, Yes.
Speaker 2: And that's a huge plus. You can also save models in the ONNX format because ONX is an open standard. This means you can potentially take your mL net trained model and use it in Python with TensorFlow, or deploy it on specialized hardware or in cloud services that understand ONX. Big for flexibility makes sense.
Speaker 1: Any tips for managing these saved models.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good practices help. Maybe save the model architecture and the learned weight separately if you update weights. Often use clear versioning in your file names like sentiment, dash model, dash v one by two, dot zip, have good naming conventions, and maybe add integrity checks like file hashing to make sure the model file hasn't been corrupted when you load it.
Speaker 1: Okay, model saved now, getting it used. Deploying to the cloud seems like a common goal.
Speaker 2: Very common, and for good reason. The cloud offers huge advantages. Scalability is a big one. Automatically handle more or less prediction, traffic, accessibility, use your model from anywhere, cost effectiveness, often pay as you go, and real time inference for applications needing instant predictions like fraud detection you mentioned exactly, or live recommendations. And mlnet is designed to be cloud agnostic. It works well with Azure of course, but also AWS, Google Cloud.
Speaker 1: How do you typically deploy it? Say, on Ashure?
Speaker 2: A very popular pattern is using Azure functions. That's serverless compute. You upload your code, including loading and running your model, and Azure handles the scaling automatically. You combine that with a WebAPI, often using something like ASP dot net core to expose your model's prediction function of the simple rest endpoint over HTTP.
Speaker 1: So other applications can just call that API to get predictions precisely.
Speaker 2: Web apps, mobile apps, IoT devices, other back end services. They just make a standard web request to your azufunction API, send the input data and get the prediction back.
Speaker 1: Well, that's pretty seamless. What's the process look like?
Speaker 2: Generally you'd prepare your mL dot net model, maybe converted to onnx for broad compatibility with an Azure services. Then you set up an Azure function usually with an HTTP trigger. You write the function code to load the model and implement the API endpoint logic to handle incoming requests and return predictions.
Speaker 1: Okay, deployed, but the real world is messy, right, How do you make sure your deployed model keeps working well? That sounds like a whole other challenge.
Speaker 2: It is, and that's where best practices for production environments come in. It's not enough just to deploy. You have to maintain and monitor like what kind of things? First, performance and optimization. Constantly monitor things like prediction, speed, latency, how many requests that can handle throughput, and critically its accuracy over time. You might use techniques like quantization to make the model smaller and faster, or batch processing if you can predict on multiple inputs at once, or passing results and scaling. Definitely leveraging the cloud's auto scaling features is key. Maybe setting up distributed inference. If one instance isn't enough.
Speaker 1: What about security? You're exposing an API.
Speaker 2: Crucial security and compliance. You need proper authentication and authorization. Who is allowed to call your API? Tools like Azure, Active directory or simple API keys can help. Always use SSLTLS encryption, validate the input data rigorously and be mindful of data privacy regulations.
Speaker 1: And if things go wrong, we're just keeping it on it.
Speaker 2: That's monitoring and logging. You need good telemetry, track requests, errors, performance metrics. Tools like Azure Monitor and Application Insights are essential for this set up. Health checks for your API.
Speaker 1: Endpoint makes sense? What about updates? Models probably need retraining or replacing eventually.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, you need a strategy for versioning and rollbacks. How do you deploy a new version of the model without downtime? And just as important, how do you quickly roll back to a previous version if the new one has problems?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And finally, troubleshooting, have a plan, understand how to analyze error logs. Be prepared for model drift.
Speaker 1: Model drift, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's when the real world data your model season production starts to look different from the data it was trained on. Maybe customer behavior changes or the environment shifts. This can make your model less accurate over time, so they need to detect it and likely retrain your model on newer data. And of course, know how to use the debugging tools your cloud platform offers.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that's a lot more involved than just model to predict it is production.
Speaker 2: mL is a whole discipline, but mL net and cloud platforms provide the tools to manage it effectively.
Speaker 1: So to recap, then we've gone from the origins of mL dot net its core ideas, the different tasks that can handle right.
Speaker 2: Through the whole workflow prepping, data, training, tuning, evaluating.
Speaker 1: And finally saving, deploying and managing those models in production, especially using cloud tools like Azure Functions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully you listening now have a much clearer picture of how mL dot net empowers dot net developers, specifically how it brings AI capabilities into their world, making compast things more approachable, more impactful.
Speaker 1: What's really exciting to me is that it's not static, right Yeah. Mlnt is constantly evolving.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, new algorithms get added, the auto mL features get smarter, the community keeps growing and contributing. It's a very active project.
Speaker 1: So as you, our listeners, think about your next project, your next data challenge, maybe consider the possibilities here. What opens up when you can bring machine learning into your existing dot net skill set. This knowledge is just theoretical, it's built to be shared and used. The fascinating question is How will you use a tool like mL dot net to transform your next big idea