Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the six hundred and seventieth episode of The Geek First Pod No. Five seventy Right, yeah, I skipped a whole hundred. It's the five hundred and seventieth episode of Focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just start going. I am Prometheus trast now, and I'm joined by.
Speaker 3: I Am the Destroyer of World, Skirkland Patzer and Marcaster Delmass.
Speaker 1: Yes, generally we haven't guests. We are here to review the news film of Christopher Nolan. It was in his filmography Oppenheimer. We apologize for the few delays that was all on me and the city of Cologna. If you want those full story, because me and Krimelin have a good story. After Nime this Sunday, if you want to join, it's gonna be ten am PST. So it's a nice daytime War one because we know we've done I think the past three have been ninetien one. So Sunday morning you can either watch along or if you want to join the patroon that's one of our tiers at the five dollars tier again there and call in and join us, and we always have a good time and it'll be good because I know a lot of our patrons have been seeing these movies, so kind of get their opinion, see what's going on. I hope Clay joints because I gotta razzle him about his Barbie review.
Speaker 4: My goodness text the text on the discord today, I was like this.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christmas morning for me when I see that, and I think, June, we we we didn't have one, so this should be a good one. So check out there, go join over there so we'll tell you why they're delayed. But yes, on the feeds right now, Barbenheimer is there. Listen to podcast feeds, so check them both out head down below for everything you need to know. We're gonna get right into this. It's been a late night, so we've we've literally reviewed every Christopher Nolan on this so you can go back. I guess I put them all on the feed so you can go check out all the way from following until tenant and then the Batman ones are somewhere around because we reviewed those at different time a part of the Batman retrospective. But we have reviewed every single Christopher Nolan movie and at the end we'll hopefully if Kirkles ready give out a new rankings because we ranked it after Dunkirk. Actually, yeah, we never did a ranking after Tenant either, So this is two movies in because we never kind of circle back to that. That was my bat. So let's start with mister must yourself, mister muss himself. I got some sun I'm a little loopy, but yeah, what what did you feel about Oppenheimer? Of course, if anyone's listening the first time, we do a little overall nonswears or thoughts, and then we'll give you a little ad break and then we'll get into a spoilers. So you got some time to take a break.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this has been an interesting road for me. I'm definitely a Nolan fan, but I wouldn't say he's like my top director. He's not, like, you know, not on my top ten favorite films of all times, not just filled with Nolan's, but there's probably one that would sneak in there. But I've also I think my expectations or hype over this we're a little bit lower going in just because of the trailers in the subject matter who are dealing with like, is not my that's not the Nolan I'm looking for personally hashtaging out my Nolan hashtag not my Nolan. And then also you know Tennant and Dunkirk. I was not super duper hot on those. I think they're they're well made, their solid. I've also never rewatched either. Maybe I've watch Tenant before Golden Geeks, but I'm even a little bit foggy on though. So I think my high level was going going into this was a bit lower. But yeah, and it was an interesting experience. It's like it's a very long movie and I never it's like a lot of the content in it, you could say, is quite dry, and there's there's like a lot of characters, like probably more characters.
Speaker 2: Than there need to be in this that have names and like the whole scenes and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could probably simplify this movie, but maybe he wanted it to be very true to like the real world happenings in real older people or something like that.
Speaker 1: And he cites the book that's nine hundred pages was a big inspiration to him as well, So that's probably it today's point, like I gotta get this in here, I gotta get this in here, So probably a bit of that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, there's there's a lot going on, and it's it's a long movie, and it is maybe slower or dry at certain moments, but somehow I felt like I was glued to the screen the entire time. I was like in it from start to finish, and I think for that first maybe third or so, maybe even half, I was enjoying it, but not not loving it necessarily. But then there was something about like that second half the movie, or the last like two thirds whatever it was, that like it just kept getting better and better for me, I felt like I was starting to kind of understand and know who a lot more of these characters were. And then even just kind of the movie takes a bit of a switch at one point when it stops being a bit of like, here's the story of what happened here and more kind of dealing with I guess, i'll say, the trial sequence of it. And then there's a whole lot of stuff going on, and you know, it's classic Nolan things, So this movie is not linear from start to finish. There's cutting back and forth and all that. But yeah, I found by the end of it, like the last I don't know, forty five minutes of it, I feel like was just incredibly solid, and it was really coming together in a way that was really great for me. There's still some hang ups for me, like some of those characters we can talk about that, there is some things that I'm confused about. I don't even know if I should admit this. I don't even fully understand who Robert Downey's character is.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be.
Speaker 5: The movie still works, but I felt like I just completely missing some elements of it. Classic Nolan, the fucking audio is so loud you can't hear dialogue, and I felt like that happened for a couple moments that were very crucial, like plot information, I just could not hear what was saying. So this movie absolutely needs a rewatch. But I think my kind of closing here from my overall thoughts is I want to give so much credit to I guess the soundtrack from Ludwig Gorenson, who's obviously been freshing it lately, and then also the editing who Jennifer Lame is the editor on this, because I felt like those two working together on this just made what could have been a slow or dry or uninteresting movie like it just fucking flowed so well that editing is so like, there's so much going on here. Yeah, and obviously you're going between present day, you're going back in time, you're going back and forth and all this stuff. But I felt like the movie just had an insanely good pace to it that didn't feel like anything was particularly rushed, but there was usually enough time given for me to fully understand, and you would just like, yeah, sometimes you just skip and you'd be like a couple of years in the future in terms of where the story's at. It just flowed perfectly, and you don't need like a black screen that says five years later or whatever it is to explain some of these things. And then that soundtrack, which I feel like is maybe quiet two or three times in the movie, which those moments are very effective, but otherwise it is constantly driving the movie forward, and that pacing and particularly I feel like it gets it starts out quite simple, simplified and maybe more classic Nolanny sort of soundtracks, but then near the end of it, like there's so many layers that are thrown in there, and a lot of moments of tension and whatnot that are just so good. So, yeah, it's the editing and the soundtrack that I think really carried this movie for me. But overall, I'm feeling very positive on it. But yeah, really, and I think this is one where a rewatcher two will just make me like it more and more and appreciate more and understand more of it, where some of the other Nolan stuff I don't know. I feel like I never fully understand some elements or it doesn't necessarily come together in that way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm I'm pretty happy with this one. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It's funny you mentioned this sound design because I think everyone always brings it up. But there's a scene early in the movie where the score got louder, but like Killian Murph was talking and literally he just got louder randomly, and I was like, oh, Nolan's like realizing that everything else is loud. But they brought him up loud, so I'm like, Okay, he's gonna make the dialogue really loud. And then that was the last time it happened. But because it was really random, unless it was a theater thing, I'll have to wait to rewatch. But he was talking normal, and then it got really like and he's just in a board room but Yeah, there's especially near the back after there's a couple where it's like, okay, at least luckily with the way Nolan directs it, I understand the intent of this scene of what he's trying to get across, but still he got Killian yelling and I still can't hear you know nothing, I'll say ever as bad as John day Washed and Kenneth Brown on that fucking boat though in TenneT where it's like I don't I don't hear a single thing. It's like I'm on that boat. But mister pats Er again by that that the reason we didn't make this review is why you're here because at one point you we're gonna be a lot on review. But as Dylan said in her discord, some greater force want you to be on this review because you missed TenneT. You almost missed this. Here we are, you know.
Speaker 4: No, I'm very happy to be here, so you know.
Speaker 3: It was an unfortunate evening the other evening, but I am it led us here, so I'm happy about it. And yeah, to just be here, like at the end of the Nolan retro too, it's just lots of fun to be just going on that Big Journey. The only one I missed out on was actually Tenant because I didn't see that movie right away in theaters. But yeah, I just quick brief history if he didn't check out that Nolan retro. I love Christopher Nolan as director. I feel like all of his movies are just completely up my alley, with the epic scale oneness of it and just the trippy, mind bendy like twist that he likes to incorporate in his movies, and just like the bending of sci fi elements into a more grounded story. I feel like he just does that so well and his movie like, yeah, just like his movies are just for me, So I expected extremely high things for this. I feel like when other people were just like, yeah, you know, Barbie versus Oppenheimer, Barbie's just gonna sweep it. And I feel like I was just like that one guy, just like oh yeah, no, Open I mean, Dylan, I know you're more for Openheimer than Barbie, for sure, but i feel like I'm just in my friend groups, maybe at work.
Speaker 4: And stuff, I'm just like guys Oppenheimer, like this is such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Even me.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's more I was just kind of low on Barbie than I was super duper high on all hinders.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's how it worked out, Yeah, exactly. But like just just the scale of it, and even in like uh, like watching Mission Impossible or whatever it might be, like getting the trailers for Oppenheimer. Every time I got those trailers, I was getting goosebumps on my arms. I'm like, this is gonna be just such an insane movie. So I had extremely extremely high expectations for this movie, and I will say it, actually, it actually brought my enjoyment down a little bit of it.
Speaker 4: I know, it's it's shocking for sure, and it's.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, and I still loved it.
Speaker 4: I gotta keep you guessing, gotta keep you guessing.
Speaker 3: No, but like one hundred percent, because I think it's ex like it's it's mostly just that that I had such extremely high expectations for it, and it didn't matter if it was gonna be about fire ants in Africa. I feel like just the Nolan stamp on it would have been enough to just just get me fully invested and one hundred percent just thinking about this movie consistently, and that hasn't been the case. But like me, saying that it doesn't take away from the quality of the movie at all. Like, to Dylan's point, it is a very long movie, but I was one hundred percent glued to the screen the entire time. I feel like my lack of knowledge on the overall details of this historical event just made me really interested in what was going on. And yeah, it's a realcod thing with Nolan films. The talking could be upped a little bit. Maybe I'm just too reliant on subtitles these days, but there's definitely scenes when I'm just like, Okay, this is just a write off. I have no idea what they're talking about in this scene, but like, and it's probably is to just how well each scene was edited together, because I feel like I was still able to really pick up on what was going on, maybe versus to something like Tenant. I feel like the first time I saw that movie, I was very lost at different parts. But I definitely feel like I have a really good grasp of this overall story, at least the way that Nolan hold it. And yeah, I the editing was phenomenal. The scale and the scale of it all was was phenomenal. Of the anticipating, like the building of the anticipation in a very epic, intense moment. I feel like they just did that so well. And yeah, I was at like the edge of my seat multiple times in this movie. And it's not like a it's not like.
Speaker 2: A big like.
Speaker 3: Like just big epic movie of like a big war like like it's mostly just like historical and like just talking. But I feel like just the u politicking of it all just got me really really invested. And and just the way that the actors portrayed it, like Killian Murphy, Oh, I already loved him so much, especially coming off of Shane I watch Peaky Blinders this this last year for the first time, and he's just such an insanely talented actor and in this one, like, yeah, he just brought so many different levels of like joy but also extreme like terror and grief, and he's the only person like portraying that on screen. Obviously tying in with with the uh like the great sound design around it as well as just whether is I don't know, certain editing of the scene, like it was just so well done, But I will say my enjoyment factor was just a little bit lower than I was. I was expecting to, and well, the first time I watched Tenant, I watched it again the next morning, like I just couldn't wait. I had to had to rewatch it right away because like I like, I really liked it, but I just want to understand it more. I want to like it more than where I am, and I feel like with Oppenheimer, it's not gonna be the most rewatchable, just purely for it a movie movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, purely for.
Speaker 3: The length and just the dryness of certain scenes, Like I feel like I won't really put this on for a particular scene, whereas I don't know, like I could list a couple of different scenes from from various Nolan movies where I would just put it on, for like Interstellar, Like I feel like I would just put it on for like when they're actually in like space around the like the the black hole event, and just like certain sci fi type sequences. I feel like I would just want to watch that, But I don't know, I don't think I really have that right now with this movie and with it for example, like I enjoy that movie the more I watch it. I've seen it maybe four times now, and it's like significant jumps up like I feel like I just noticed or pick up something, or just really appreciate the attention to detail on a particular scene. And I'm sure this movie has those moments littered throughout because Nolan is just he likes to bring that in his movies, and so I'm sure that will be the case. But I just need a little cool downbreak, And I should preface too, like I did do the Barbenheimer combo. So I watched Barbie first, and so by the end of Oppenheimer, like I had been sitting in like the exact same theater seed for like four hours. Maybe that was kind of, you know, diminishing some of it where I'm kind of getting a little wiggly, my butts getting sore. So there is probably exterior factors to bring down my overall enjoyment.
Speaker 4: But again, it didn't.
Speaker 3: It didn't diminish my ability to just like appreciate the quality of what was on screen, because yeah, they absolutely killed it all. The acting was just so top notched. There's so many talented people in this movie, and.
Speaker 1: It feel like, advertise, yeah, this person's in the movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, No, absolutely, And I was just like shocked by seeing certain characters in there, and I think they just were all really really top tier, and yeah, I really really appreciate.
Speaker 4: The just the story that that was told.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'd be lying if I said it didn't just like leave a super impressive.
Speaker 1: Like even too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even though paying it too much, it just didn't hit the bar for enjoyment factor that I thought it would. It met the quality level for sure, but I don't know, may it was expected a bigger bang or whatnot, or maybe.
Speaker 4: I don't know, something bank the world's Biggest Bang.
Speaker 1: That's like a Ron Tomatoes negative critic right there, not the biggest bang movie, you know, like they'd take that. It's funny. I think we kind of all have that with Norlan movies because I think either all of us like love him or respect him. I think because that's the way I was with Interstellar, right Like I was so excited and it just didn't match it. But then that's my tenet where I just we watched about two weeks ago and for the first time I was like I could maybe give this one a perfect score, where in the past I haven't. So it's it's one of those And I'm much like Dylan where so like I'll see love the TDK trilogy. You gun Inception, you got Prestige, and then after that, that's when you get Interstellar. And at the time I said I wasn't mixed. I was still very high in it, but I was not like I had Batman, Beginn's Prestige, Dark Knight and Interception four Row. I'm like, all these are best, Like they're all of my best of movies stuff like that, so it's tough on an Interstellar didn't match that bar. And then you got Dunkirk Intent, which are very well made, but I don't return back to too many times. Especially Dunkirk I've only seen twice, and even when I was rewatching all the Nole movies this summer, I didn't get a chance to all of them. But yeah, I was even like, ah, I left Dunkirk last. I was watched them at order, but I skipped don Kirk to get to Tenet because like I like Dunkirk, it's all well made, but I don't find myself having to return to it. So since and even Dark Knight rises, which I can still go and say, yeah, that's definitely the weakest of the series. Since Inception, I haven't felt like Okay, this is a ten at ten across the board, and I think I said it had a similar and like high level as far as Dylan. Like when they announced he was making a movie about the creation the bomb, I was like, I don't care about this. I'll see it because it's Nolan, but I don't care about any of this. I'm not a history buff. I'm always looking more like if there's something I want to learn from history, that's stuff I seeked out. But that's not much for me. I'm not a war buff. I'm not a historian buff. So I'm the same as Dylan where this movie happens, like, hey, I got a Wikipedia. Who's Lewis Strauss? Like, oh okay, like the history I know is a little from school, and then movies I've won to see. But it's Nolan. So I checked it out and I thought it was gonna be similar to Dunkirk, but no, I absolutely love this movie. I think you could make it argument that his best movie ever. I would never say it's my favorite because this wouldn't like it's just my likes. I wouldn't put this past Inception or past The Dark Knight, like those are things that one they've been around long, but I just like that concept. There's two Nolan's right, there's always the like, you look at what he's done. He did Dark Knight Rises and it was or sorry, actually it was Interstellar spacey than Dunkirk, and then Tenant and then another history one. Right, So if we go on pattern, I would imagine the next one's probably gonna be a bit more high concepts. So usually when he gets on that cap, I go, oh, I like that. No one but don't love it. But yeah, you guys already talked about it. It's definitely too like Ludwig's best work because there's so much score in this movie, like so much. It's not like there's there's definitely quiet moments in this movie, but there's more moments of score than there is of quietness, and that's usually not how it happens in movies usually, and even just scenes where they are talking about, you know, they see a certain newspaper headline, Ludwig is going hard and he's making like I would love to see what this movie would be like if you take the score out. I feel like my score would drop dramatically. And that's not to say a bad thing about the movie itself. That's just like how good Luck Wig was because if you don't have that in there, it's gone. So that was very, very impressive. Like when we get the Golden Geeks, that's like a bullet for me. I get it because it's just and he could tell like, that's such an impressive guy, like since he I know he'd done work before, but I think he got an art like Radar when Black Panther came out and he did that. He did Manalor, and he's done other things where just this guy always gives up quality. So that's a big thing. The scope, the cast, Killian. It's great to see him in this leading role because you look at Nolan's career, He's been in so many Inception Begins, Dunkirk where he has an important role, but it's always that role. It's like it has twenty five minutes too, you know, it's always that cap. So it's great to see him have this performance. I'm really happy the Box Off is like Nolan's biggest movie ever rather than the Batman movies, so that's great. Yeah, I was surprised about the pacing. It didn't bug me in all the three hours at the beginning, I thought there was stuff, Oh, maybe is this needed? Could you cut it? But as it went along with no, actually that is need. If it's even little stuff went okay, that served towards the plot and the story. Even same thing. I thought it was gonna be like Dunkirk, where Dunkirk has that time thing where something's are happening in the past and present, and that's a movie. Where I watched Dunkirk, I go, this is a movie that didn't need like Nolan's time trickery. It could have just been straightforward and maybe would have been better where this one. I think it worked really well, especially the shifting of certain dynamics. And I'd say maybe with Robert Downey character that the timeline messing really works with his character. And that's another thing killing down He's great in here. It's not that he hasn't be great in the MCR other stuff he's been in the past few years, but he just knocked out of the park every scene he's in there, even when he's not talking. His facials. Man, it's great to see Downy in this, and it's a role I made. There's a few comedic beats, but he is not that down he completely falls into the role. So that's great. All the practical stuff is great, The ending is great when it's really wrapping up to this creation. There's one scene in here that's gonna stick with me for years. There's it's like almost horror esque and I just loved it, and yeah, I it's one of these things that I will run out of words to talk about and I love. There's just certain things that it is Nolan, but it feels like a step up With some directors they find they find a level and you can always tell that's you can still tell us is Norlan movie, but they maybe don't do anything different. Right. There's times where these black and white scenes. They're shooting these scenes very almost like hell hand camera. They're not using that. I'm guarantee you. Nolan has this huge camera and it's on a thing, but they're moving in away where it looks like it's going back and forth that it's in the room. That's not a Nolan thing. Nolan's are usually just straight actors going and that's it. And on the scenes, so they're like having claustrophobic scenes going on. It doesn't even have to do with the bomb. It's just with these characters having emotions and yeah, like you get guys said, the cast is stacked and everybody. There's a lot of actors that are only in here for ten fifteen minutes, but it's very strong ten or fifteen minutes. And yeah, it's one that I think even more so when I watch it is definitely a mood one. It's not like Inception that I could watch it every day of the week. I can't watch Oppenheimer every day in the week from a mood standpoint, but from a technical standpoint, I think it's Nolan at the top of his game, and I, uh, you know, and that's where I guess. For me, it was revers a Kirk and where I went in other than last week, I was like lower expectations of Okay, I was, you know, I'm excited because it's Snolan, but I didn't think it was gonna be this and h yeah, it was quite a great one. So there's anything else to uh talk about non spoilers.
Speaker 5: On the non spoilers side, not for not much much for me.
Speaker 4: I don't think, Dylan, how was your showing? Was it just packed? I was curious to ask your theater.
Speaker 5: I think it was and in fact, I didn't have the best seat because I was kind of late to get my tickets, not because I knew I was gonna go. I guess I just didn't think about it well enough in advance. But yeah, because of that, most of the most of it was grabbed up, and I think except for maybe like some couple spots in the front row or two, it was it was packed for sure.
Speaker 3: I was pretty shocked just across the board for the weekend honestly, like Thursday, Friday, Saturday night showings for both Barbie and Oppenheimer were like actually just sold out. Like it's like, you know, there's the front row. I say sold out with like air quotes because it's like, yeah, they got the front row, I guess. But yeah, like the main chunk where you would want to get your seats were just completely sold out.
Speaker 4: And then I had gotten.
Speaker 3: Because I, yeah, I watched Barbie and Oppenheimer Saturday day. Barbie was at eleven and then Oppenheimer's at two, and like I got them on Friday night or during the day on Friday, and like there was some seats taken for sure, but I was definitely one of the earlier ones. But by the time everyone showed up for the showing, it was like completely packed on like a matinee showing. I'm like, man, I thought this was gonna be like the Safe Spot, so I was I was very shocked to just again it's like, oh yeah, this used to be what movies were like like on release before COVID, you know, like a long time ago. So it's it's crazy just the power that these these two movies have for the weekend. I'm curious how long that's gonna last because even like the ten o'clock showing for Oppenheimer, like you're gonna get out at like one, maybe one thirty depending on previews, and it's.
Speaker 4: Just completely sold out. Like that's that's so in my mind unheard of.
Speaker 5: I want to do it like a bread and Butter or something, maybe even talking about an afroninm but just like how much this has exploded. Yeah, we should two movies because it's a really interesting kind of phenomenon here. It's like it's an event more than just two movies releasing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, and it's like the both of them, like they just a week ago Oppenheimer was going in with a forty million projection and like literally doubled it. Barbie was like at a ninety biggest open year beat Mario. It's just it's crazy like these crowds because my Oppenheim one was packed for pretty much in the first two roles. We're gonna go see Barbie on Monday, but I looked at tickets. We couldn't because the girls, I'm see it, that's all like they're all sold, like three pm showings are sold. I'm like, who's working right now like these? But yeah, it's interesting. I love it because it's you know, it's it's funny, like I feel like the last few bigger movies we went to, like India Impossible, where like there's people, but it's not that like that packed house, and both of these were. So it's an interesting time. So Clay Well a few calls for the chat Forgether my only proms boyd Holbrook was not being in No No One. We'll do something with them one day Long Live a Talking Drama. Killing it at the box off was absolutely Julia says Julia. Sorry, my heart was pounding for the Trinity scene. I think we'd all agree there when we get into it. No, he's always the best at the time, the clicking like making you fix something, thing's gonna happen, and then the score was phenomenal. Did not fill the run team either, says and Maddy has a question or a Patreon question that we'll get into after the spoiler break here. So yeah, if you haven't seen the movie, get out of here. It'll be sitting here. So we'll take our first break and then we'll be right back talking about So we'll be back, and we're back. So we kind of touched upon. But Manny had two questions. One is, do you have a favorite performance? So do you have an m VP of this movie of the actor? You know, Killian was great, you know, Dan was great, Blunt was great, Like she's not end that much, but my gosh, really good scene. So Curtly you got an MVP.
Speaker 3: I Yeah, I feel like I would have to pick Killian just because he is the lead, has the most most time on screen, and I just was already like just loving him so much from his previous Rouk specifically Peaky Blinders, just like seeing where like the levels that he'd reach in that, and it it's like, I know, that's like a like a great perform a great role that he got for the role of Thomas Shelby in Peaky Blinders. But I feel like in my mind it's just like, uh, that was like a trial run for like this, because there's so many emotions that that character has that's like so similar to what he was shown in Oppenheimer here of like being that cocky guy moments, but also just like almost PTSD or like just like that super anxiety moments that he has. So I would have to pick him, but my, my, my number two shiny star, I would actually have to pick Emily Blunt just for like the sheer, sheer sorrow and dread that she shows throughout this movie. Like I did not spect again, like I don't know anything about like the historical facts of these movies, but man, I was not expecting her character to be like that, just so so like damaged in just trying to balance like the mother life and just all the stress of what's going on with her husband and just just her life. Sent Like she just showed so much pain in moments, but also a lot of strength and being like a real good, like solid foundation for Oppenheimer because like everything that he's going through and then he has this like pillar of support next to him that is also going through her own her own issues and stuff. So yeah, I was just shocked by the few screen time, the few the short amount of time that she was on screen. It was just like, I was just totally blown away by her performance of even if she isn't saying anything, if it's just in the back, but just showing like so much pain in a particular moment, you know, she's in an interviewing and picturing her husband screwing some other chick.
Speaker 4: It's just it blew me away.
Speaker 3: I I feel like I haven't seen that Emily, that side of Emily Blunt and maybe ever honestly, I've only seen a handful of things with her, but yeah, I was totally blown away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, that scene when she's going back and forth with Jason Clark at the end, which Dylan remember Jason Clark because remember there's you saw him in one movie and you're like, I've never seen this guy and anything else like it, and it was like a really bad movie. I couldn't remember what it was. But then I was like, oh, he's an apes in this You're like, no, I've never see he's look at him again, I think he's this guy that tilm.
Speaker 5: I recognize him now from like pet Cemetery, even though I never watched it.
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember when we're watching them. When I was watching the movie, I'm like, oh, man, where is he from? Where is he from?
Speaker 5: And then when I looked at his IMDb and he didn't have that big old wig or maybe that's his actual hair.
Speaker 1: It's sexual hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, well, good job he really grew that out. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Without that, it's like, oh yeah, that Sam takeout. But I do remember those memes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check out me and Briggs of review that somewhere down the line. But yeah, that scene with her, her and Jason Clark was like this toe to toe of him just trying to man on her and just trying to be like overpowering, kind of make her seem like an idiot, and man, she's just throwing questions back. It was the delivery of it. She I like her in the entire movie because, like you're saying, Kirk, when that character has to kind of be a shield for Oppenheimer and take a law of the you know, raise the kids, worry about the home life. So that's why when he's which I get it, you know, of course his ex wife ends up dead and he's freaking out. I love that she just kind of gets like, you don't get to do this, Like you you're the most important man here. My life is kind of messed up right now because I'm just supporting you. You got to pull your shit together because I got these two kids, I got an alcohol problem. People know, you're sleeping around with other people here, like everything bad. And it's a very classic That was how marriage was back in the day, right It was more of a it was more of a no. I won't say for everybody, but there's a lot of marriages back in the day that were more in agreement and not like an arrangement. But just like it wouldn't matter if your husband was chooting on you had to stick by your husband. It wouldn't matter this. It's like divorce was back then seen as a terrible thing. You would be like shutned upon, like, oh, you've been divorced. So I think she did a good job of even though at times that character I don't think I like the character because there's stuff with the kids. You're like, oh, this is you know, but that's where it's like this all these characters have these fine lines, yeah, good ones to shout out, so done anything on bloot Well yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I want to talk more about her because I feel like that's maybe one of my acting is good.
Speaker 2: I agree with you guys. My weak point would maybe be on the character writing of it.
Speaker 5: And it's a tricky thing right where I you know, I guess maybe disclosure for all of us, Like I don't think any of us really know any of these people's like actual history or life, right, so we're basing it off of like, Okay, there was a book written about this stuff, and now we're basing on like Nolan reading that book and then like you know, you know, there's this perspective yeah, yeah, exactly, So who knows what this actual person was? Like I really have no idea, but so maybe she was just a terrible person. But to me, like you know, between the the cheating element of it, between like abandoning their kid and then like having more kids later on, and then like yeah, when she's supposed to be watching a kid, like just being kind of incoherently drunk and completely ignorant. Like, to me, I felt like there was so much thrown on her to make her seem like such a bad person that I don't think I really ever had that side of like sympathy, like under I understand that it's a difficult situation to be put in, but I maybe there could have been another scene or two that showed more about her. But you know, it's tricky thing because this is so he was called Oppenheimer, and you know, it's not about the other Oppenheimer's about.
Speaker 2: Robert, like it's about this one Appenheimer.
Speaker 5: It's his story. It's everything circles around him. But I think she could have used a little bit more developing the other side of things, unless you know, truly she is just not a good person and that's what we're doing. But I agree that I always want to call it the trial, but what would call that meeting? Because it's well, they always saying that it's not a trial, but it's that it's a.
Speaker 2: Lot like it.
Speaker 4: It's like a I can't hearing or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is that hearing scene, close hearing, close hearing because the room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we get definitely the highlight scene for her. Every line she's snapping back like it was, you know, sixteen years ago, I had that card seventeen, he starts talking eighteen years, she like keeps cutting him back to him. I really liked that whole sequence. I thought that was that was really good from her. So yeah, I think I just maybe wanted a bit more of that other side of the character if it if it existed, and even if it didn't, I think that would be a good thing that you could fudge the reality of it a bit and add a couple of scenes here or there to maybe add a bit more to the sympathy side of her. But it sounds like you guys didn't really have that particular issue with the character.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. I was like, it's kind of not open him was as bad. But I feel like he's also a character that's in gray. You know, he's very selfish. He makes a lot of greedy moves, And that's where I guess for me, it was more that I was buying their partnership more than her being a great person. Because I with Oppenheimer, I feel I feel that not that he's not great. It's hard because it's you know, you don't know the story, but from the way this movie presents them, I wouldn't say he was a bad person. But I feel like he was a regretful person and there was maybe a great person in there, but he repressed it all too for the work, right, that was always the work had to be done. So that so it's like, you can't even if someone is a great person beneath, if they're not a great person on the outside, you can't. You can't give them that right. It's like, oh, well, my intention was this. It felt like maybe more down the line and we'll get into the close tearing. There's certain things maybe that character did in this movie to try to push that forward of a not a bad person. But that's why I guess it didn't affect me that both these maybe all these characters, I don't know if there's a single character in here that doesn't have a shade of great because you're dealing with the army, a war, and a weapon of mass genoside. I'm just trying to think, I there's anybody.
Speaker 3: What about Rammy Mallock's character, I don't even remember. Yeah, mister Hill, Sure, he's just there to expose the truth. These are just taking notes. Yeah he's a nice little and.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah and maybe yeah, and maybe all then Aaron Rays character too, where the second he learns what's really going on, he shifts right away, which you go, okay, good guy right there. But yeah, that's that's I guess where I didn't have a problem, where I was fine with From a selfish point of view, I feel like both both the children were probably mistakes to me the way the movie proposed that because they got together and she was pregnant already and they had to go get her divorce just so they get married. So I feel like in her vision it was gonna be her and Oppenheimer against the world, But then it was, well, you don't get to really be a part of the journey because you're pregnant, and then maybe another kid, and now you're kind of secluded back there, and even more times for him to go have affairs, because you guarantee when he gets home and he's stressed and she's drunk dancing and there's a baby crying, they're probably not having a big romantic life now, right, And that those horse rides they used to do together, they only do that one other time when he's freaking out about his ex wife in the movie, So even that time when they to be alone is not Greace I guess there was one more in the middle, but that was after they dumped the kids. So it's like, this isn't really a romantic thing. This is literally in that conversation all parts like, oh, we're terrible people, and she's like, oh, I don't know, you know, it's just the cars are doubts. So yeah, I have great performance, but yeah, not the not the greatest person, you know. It's uh, you know what about you?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, character wise other than that, like I don't know, obviously, killing Murphy is is the star is the beasknees. He gets the most content, and I feel like he gets the most on that on that side of you know, everyone being kind of in that gray area.
Speaker 2: He gets a lot of content on either side.
Speaker 5: He gets to do a lot more acting than other characters who are generally more flat characters but are still you know, effective for what they're trying to be in here. So I mean, I guess I would just shout out Florence Pugh as well, who gets to do some pretty emotional stuff in here, and she's always great, so that's not a surprise for all all the Pew boys here, so oh it's to her, But yeah, I feel like, honestly, other than Killing Murphy, like you know, spoiler when Golden Geeks coming around, like no one else is getting known.
Speaker 2: For me, like it's it's Killian Murphy and that's that's it from this movie.
Speaker 5: And I don't really have like I don't think there's a problem with that because it's about him, you know, it's all He's He's at the center of that solar system of this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, like it is Killian, But I think why will point out because I know people go because he's the main star. I feel like there's many movies we reviewed over these eight years where someone canna have the ball of screen time, but that's not who you're talking about. You walk away like, oh, but this performance going on, you know, so it's killing easy. Yeah, I think he's a goal. Like to me, it's like we'll have to see. To me, he's like a goal, like we got a six five months left, but he's like my bullet point, Like this is my vote. I don't know how else I can go anywhere else right now. I have to look at the whole paper when we get there. So great performance. But yeah, for me, it was like I talked about nun Swarbs was Downy. I really loved his scenes, and it was the editing as well, because when we meet him, he seems like such a nice character. And I think it's because we've seen shades of it, but Downy hasn't worked these He's always the likable asshole, right, and there's maybe a shade of it here and there. But I love at the and when everything is going to shit Whin he looks like he has in the bag and it's like, oh, yeah, it's the trial, it's gonna go fine, we'll get you vote, we'll get you on the whatever it is, the a sea in the house or whatever they're going for, and he has this reputation and I love again it's the editing where the first scene we seen of him, Oppenheimer seems pretty friendly. He's wanted to introduce him with alb Ryinstein. We get that one scene of Killan Murphy making a joke at his expense and he's kind of laughing about it, and then later on we get their verse where he's not and I just love when he has to give that explanation Alden Aaron Reich and some of it's right though, that's what I love about him if he's the antagonist or villain of the movie. When he talking about where Altenheimer, he wants to be the guy in charge. He wants his name out there, so you go, Okay, he maybe railroaded him unfairly, but these things he's saying aren't untrue. And that's where all these areas in Shade of Gray. And I love when he finds out that he loses because he's like, oh, you want to get the press. He's like, do you think of and or Alt? And then Alden say, yeah, well you're pretty much in. So he's okay, get the press. And when all walks in and he's like, oh they didn't pass me, did they? And he's and he just tries to put on this face and yeah, all of them who I've liked a lot. Just Onden Solo has a great performance as well, But No, for me, it was Downy because he just he became in a movie that has lots of grades, they still made him the guy that I was like, yeah, screw this guy. Like and when he's getting taken down by Rammy, just his his emotions. So that's for me again where down his biggest strength in movies is always his talking. It was the quiet moment so for me other than Kille and he's my MVP, and I don't know if he came there, but yeah, I would throw him out for supporting because he's I just think he brought a lot to it. And also I was not expecting him to be in it as much as this I feel like trailers, he wasn't and he had like this little accent that worked too. I was thought it was gonna take me out of it. So no, I thought he hit a home run. I really with him and Pugh, I really want them to work with or Nolan again because I just would love to see what Nolan could do with him more than obviously Pugh. She's in it and great, but it's a very it's an appetizer type of role, right, it could have been not could have been any buddy. She brings a certain gravitas to it, but it's one that, okay, I'd like to see kind of like with Robby and Tarantino. Whar Okay. I liked her once upon time Hollywood, but I'd love to see Robbie with like a full Tarantino script and get to go to town. So yeah, I think that would be. And honestly, actually I would shout Jason Clark because he's just such an asshole. He's such a good job being a break that you hate and you know the railroad in him, and you just he's such a like a smarmy, smarmy guy in those scenes and you don't there's nothing redeemable him at all. He thinks he's doing right because that's over. He's just like he's all fine, he moves on. So, yeah, a mini shout to Jason Clark, who, again, really, if you put it all together, it's probably fifteen twenty minutes in a three hour movie, but he delivers big time there. So and then the other question that Matty said was what was your favorite moment from Oppenheimer? Do you have a particular moment scene conversation? Oh, I don't want if you guys want.
Speaker 4: To think, I feel like I could.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously, if I had more time to stew on it and then compare different scenes, I could probably come up with a large amount because it's just such a long movie that's just top tier quality. But the one popping around my head is actually like that twist when Robert Oppenheimer finally like just realizes kind of the because like, yeah, like you don't really have time to think about like moral obligations or anything throughout this movie. I feel like that's a good point that they like emphasize in It's just like you're racing against the Nazis to have the biggest bomb of the world, Like you don't have time to think about like, yeah, your kids at home, you don't have time to think about who's sleeping with you.
Speaker 4: We don't have time to think about any of this. It's just this has to happen, and we don't do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then around the time with like the test and everyone's just super super pumped and it's all going well, and then Oppenheimer just it hits him of like like he's basically the Prometheus role here that he's just gonna be like he's bringing fire to like to man, he's giving them the weapon to destroy themselves. And then like that weight is actually hitting. And that's like the one thing about Oppenheimer, like that famous quote, you know, I've become death destroyer worlds, Like that's like the one thing that I knew about him than that he's the one that made the Adam bomb. So I was really excited for that moment, and I don't think they disappointed with just showcasing that that like weight, that that moment when you just have a second like that just great anxiety that comes to him of just like I, like I, even if we don't ignite the atmosphere here and kill us all like instantly, like where does this end? This doesn't end anywhere like like this, like this if they choose to keep using these types of bombs like this just destroys all of humanity And just all of those moments with the really intense editing of showing the people like melting when everyone's celebrating and he's just completely freaking out. I don't even remember where or how that that scene like starts or ends, but just like that particular moment of the movie, it just it it It hit me so hard. I honestly, I thought it was gonna be like the big bomb explosion that was like the most uh memorable scene for me. But it was that moment of just him him realizing what's happening there, and then that's kind of when he takes that morality shift in the movie of just like this probably isn't the right idea to just let America government have this. So yeah, I just thought that was done so well. And I'm glad because that was the one thing that I like remember or sorry, knew beforehand was gonna happen, and they did a really good job of showcasing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like Maddie's the same, and i'd piggyback that I was the same. Yeah, specifically the gymnasium, because I love that. Even in the trailer, is that sound of them stomping on the bleachers. I thought it was a train this whole time, you know, I thought, oh, every time I saw a train, like this must be a train. So it was just like a train. But no, it starts that way where they're all stomping and cheering and he walks out, and I do love that, Like that's the one that's gonna stick with me for weeks. That's like there's two scenes that I guess they're small. Well, the two scenes are really horrish. And when he walks out and they're all cheering and he's giving his speech and he'll say something and then it cuts a sun and I just love it. Be like, oh, too bad, we didn't have for those Germans. And he'll say it and then it's dead silent, but everyone stands up and clap, and it's one of these things that he's he's like playing a role because he doesn't want people to feel disappointed because he doesn't in this mode want to spurt. I'll be like, yeah, this was a big mistake. We really screwed up. People have been there for four years, they moved their whole family there, so he wants to be raw. He wants to push that narrative for that he's a part of the country. And also this is not too far from Matt Daan when they got the bomb. He's like, Oh, you're gonna let me know what happens. You're like, well, I'll call you and tell you what I can. So it's like the second he makes the bomb, that's done. They're kind of out and we get that more throughout the movie, but it's like it's not your creation anymore per se. Once you give them recipe, they can cook it anytime. And when you just get that shot of I love anytime in the movie, they do multi times with the wall would shake behind him and make it look like a bomb's about to go off, and just that shot of the girl that's clapping and her face is health none off and you got it's like, that's where it's great. When he's fat, that whole thing. Quiet, quiet comes in there. And then when he walks out, you have the couple that's and it's funny too because the way they shoot it, you don't know if these are actually happening or if it's in his mind, because you got this couple that's crying behind the bleachers, and then you have a guy that's throwing up, and it's just because in my mind, like, why is this guy throwing up? He could just be throwing up because he's drunk. But Oppenheimer's reading a different way because at this point, I guess they would be seeing some of the effects of the bomb. So even if it's other characters starting to feel like him, that scene is definitely you know that technically you should feel like the bomb going off is the most intense part, but that is that's like a GG best scene for me. It's just that realization the gymnasium, just everything the visuals and the cheering and the audio, those silent like moments. That was such a great choice.
Speaker 2: To do it there, So yeah, I completely agree. I mean I got a shout out the.
Speaker 5: Scene of them testing the bomb earlier on just because that's so well done. It's so well shot, this is spence intention of it, and then just the silence of it is so impactful, and obviously the sound like comes in later with that kind of delayed effect. But everyone has their different setup. Whether it's the one guy in the car who's like, oh, the windshield's gonnat protect me, and the guy's like what about the wind sheer? You know what, the child comes through. Everyone's got their different technique. The one guy's trying to like sneak a peek even though he should be in the control room. So that's a lot of fun moments there, but it's also like pretty devastating and scary and obviously, like you spent so much time in the movie like building up to this point and that's really the only like actual bomb that you see obviously, so it's kind of a thing we've been expecting to see during this movie. But yeah, there's so many I think it'd be tricky for me to classify with the starter end of it would be, But really, just when we have all the reveals, like when we know who the Mole is, we know that Strass has kind of been the one who's instigating everything, and we're just having these kind of back and forth scenes of the closed hearing as we're calling it, and then like Strauss and him under like seeing what's going on, or maybe it's cutting to the scene when he's being I guess interrogated in front of I guess during that what might be a trial, or don't know all the names and terminology for all this, but the cutting back and forth there when like everything is kind of coming together. I think it's so interesting because obviously, as you mentioned, Kirklan, like Nolan's always doing like big crazy plot twists or you don't really know what's going on, so it's not even really just twist. But when things finally click together, it's like this big revelatory moment. And it's like there's moments like this in this movie with Strauss and with with the Mole and stuff like that, but they're not really played in that big way like, oh my god, this huge plot twist that just changes everything. They're kind of more subtle, like just details that are thrown in there, and you can kind of just put it now in like this list of facts and things like that that you're looking at when you think about all this stuff that's been going on here. So that sequence is really good, and they kind of just a low key showed up. But I really enjoyed the scene when they've built the bomb at this point where they're almost finished and they're in I don't know who's off it is, but this is the one scene like James remar is that is his name for.
Speaker 2: That scene.
Speaker 5: I don't know why, because if you compare it to some of the other ones, it's not as cinematic or anything like that. But I just thought the way that was edited and shot and how all these characters are gonna go on back and forth, I felt that was like a very compelling scene for me. And the fact that it's you know, Oppenheimer's there in that meeting and it's kind of people who are above him.
Speaker 2: We're going to make the.
Speaker 5: Decisions of where the bombs going, what they're going to do with it in the strategy, and they're just trying to pull the information out of him one because he's very smart and he's I guess he's thought about this stuff a lot, but I think it's mostly just because he's the smartest guy in the room kind of thing, and they're trying to pull that information out of him and he really doesn't want to because at this point he's like, I don't think we should really use it, Like the fact that we have it was maybe enough to scare them off.
Speaker 2: Then he's like, okay, but.
Speaker 5: If you were to use it, like where on this map do you think you would choose to land it?
Speaker 2: And stuff like that.
Speaker 5: And I found that scene like really compelling as well, maybe more of a low key shot. I don't know if that's a Golden Geek contender, but that's that scene really stuck out to me as well.
Speaker 3: Definitely worthy of a shout out though, because I, yeah, I love that scene. I had agree with that guy's name. I forgot he was the Dexter Dad. Yeah, But just like something that really stuck with me in that scene too was how much weight is like on these people's decisions of just like where this weapon of mass destruction is just gonna be dropped? And like the one guy is like, let's not do Kyoto because I like to vacation there, and like just not even thinking about Yeah, like not even the people that are like there and all, like the thousands of innocens of people that are just gonna get murdered from this bomb, Like they just don't even like it, says if they don't have a moral compass that moment, it's just like, Okay, we'll like we'll drop it here because of a strategic purposes. But then I'm gonna I'm gonna pull a little variable here, and I don't want to drop it there because of my own selfish reasons. Me and my wife like to go there. Like it was just something that really stuck with me in that moment. It's just like, man, these type of decisions are probably just made every single day, you know, from like the the powers that run the world. It's just such a fucked up idea and again just something that the filmmakers is such a good job at like shining a light on of just like this is, I don't know, just a really really well telling. That's a weird way to say that, a really good telling of just a really fucked up thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I think that's when because also a whole move I know where it's going, Like we know what happens, but I think that scens So I'm glad you show that done with a first time. I felt really not with our characters anymore. And it's tough, right because you do have that's war every time, right where it's okay, what do you do? Because there's that argument what if they were to find this out, they would just bomb you? It ends the war, but you're still talking about They portray the scene as these people talking about it so carelessly. It's just any decision, and yeah, that that remark of James. We're like, yeah, we went to a honeymoon there and we don't want to We don't want to lose that. And I love too that it infers the trial or is the the hearing later on because they're they go, oh, you were a part of the decision of where it was to drop, but not Appenheimer really wasn't you know? He was there trying of giving other advice, saying like what if we you know, told them about the bomb, like he was trying to express him and the science, you know, community's concerns or what they should think about. And we see like later on when he gives up bomb way, he's like, oh it has to drop higher and like, Oh, don't worry, we got it from here. But I love that they kind of threw that in his face about he was like they made its, not like he was the one to decide. These were the two places where he really wasn't and he didn't want to even launch in July, and they're they're like, oh yeah in July, and Matt Dames, yeah, July. And you see Oppenheimer stressing out because he said, like August maybe like the minimum the earliest that it could happen, and Matt Dame's like, yeah, July. So it's this whole scene of again he helped create this bomb, but this is the beginnings, and I'm starting to get railroaded of sure that you're very important to a degree. And then once, like I said, once, it's like a magician. It's feels very much like the prestige and that and lots of this movie feels a lot like prestige far as the timeline and the way Nolan shows these characters that are all in gray area, but that idea of and prestige. He never want to give up the trick because then when you do your you're useless. No one cares about you anymore. And that's Oppenheimer the bomb. The second he gives up the trick and how to make it, he is kind of useless. And then they try and get rid of him because you know, you get this whole conversation during the hearing of I can't remember who plays his friend, but he talks about how you know, he's just giving his opinion on what happened and what could go forward, and they want to shut him out, which obviously has a lot of you know, context even for today and what you can say what you can and there's a whole brombder of yes and no and red eye thumbnails and all that stuff. Right, But I think with this they're doing a good job of they should be allowed to express concerns. But you know, he doesn't technically own the bomb, so he shouldn't be allowed to do that, and it's against America.
Speaker 4: So that.
Speaker 1: Talking about wiping all these people up, even him just saying what if you just drop one bomb? They go, well, no, we need to drop too. They just pretty much they don't even say we They just like, we're dropping too, no matter what we're dropping too.
Speaker 5: That was very I think that moments really stuck with me too, because I had never really thought about that and maybe that's just a history not knowing enough history on Miam, but like never, I always knew there was two bombs draw, but I didn't really know why there was two. And the fact of the reasoning is, first one, you know, you gotta do it, just show that we can do it, and second one just to show that you can do it again and it's reutable. And that's like the most fucked up thought ever that that is the reason why they decided to drop the second one.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, that also really stuck with me.
Speaker 1: And that and that's the like we talked about so many movies, right, And that's why I love It's the conversation between him and I forget he's one of the Safty brothers who he obviously directed Uncut Gems and uh.
Speaker 4: Oh Benny, Benny, oh God, and what is the A.
Speaker 1: Good time with Robert Pass and check other movies fantastic directors. But they have this conversation about if you didn't drop the second bomb, or even the first bomb, but just about the bombs in general, because that was Oppenheimer's other points and scientists that they said well, why are we dropping these bombs because they are on the like the edge of losing already, like that we've kind of won the war and it's really you know, government side was what we want to really put a final nail on it and show other enemies, right that it couldn't happen. And they have that conversation about do you think the war would have you know, ended either way without the bomb, And that's what kind of makes his work, I think even worse, is if it could end without him dropping that bomb, because one he's not responsible along with other people, the deaths and you know, poison and sickness of all these people, and to what people could do going war. Right, So this is what I was thinking, because maybe not, maybe they don't drop the bomb and keep the war keeps going on, or the Russia war doesn't become a cold war, right, because that's one of the theories. That's why it became a cold war because they didn't want nukes getting dropped on them. So it was a lot of spy stuff and hidden families. So it's a great conversation they have about, you know, it's a chicken and egg thing, would it you know, would have ended no matter what, or would have kept going, and it's a good thing we dropped the bomb. And then obviously the Safty brother he takes it the other way because he wants to keep going and do more at the bombs and push further. And Oppenheimer's kind like, I think we've we've we've done it, like this should be the cap of where and then he answers, right, he goes, well, someone's always gonna build a bigger bomb, and it's like, well, that's true. So again, it's not a it's not a black and white movie, even though at times it is literally a black and white movie, but it's many areas and.
Speaker 3: Like that guy's motivation too. Maybe I missed something, But for me personally, I just always took it that he was just motivated by the science. Like he doesn't even necessarily care about making the biggest bomb. It's just he thinks that the hydra bomb is just would be so much more effective because of the science and like the what he studies, And like this movie has so many different scientists on it, and I feel like they do a good job at just showing and again, like this is a long movie. Maybe I miss something here. But I feel like there wasn't really any moments where like the actual scientists that are like doing these things are like, oh yeah, like this is just giving me such a great explosion and have this amount of casualties, Like they really are just focusing on the project, and because the science is so important to them, that's just what they're motivated by. But then you have characters like Matt Damon who's he's just a general. He doesn't know anything about the physics of what this world, like what this is. It's just all about what this means for the war effort or the strategy. And and then you have like the politicians, right and their motivations. Like I think Nolan and crew did a good job at just showcasing the different types of characters motivations, even like some of the wives and like their home lives and like just kind of what they're focused on, like the pain that Emily Blunt's character was going through, but how she was able to just be motivated as like a strong shield for Oppenheimer. Like everybody kind of had their own different roles and positions to play in this village that they made for the Manhattan Project to make these big bombs, and yeah, I was very I was very just interested in seeing how far we're gonna get with the H bomb thing, because of course I known of that big that that big H bomb word, but I wasn't sure like where that was included in just the historical timeline of things, Like I didn't know if that was actually gonna be talked about in this movie or whatnot.
Speaker 4: So I was a little bit curious about that. But yeah, no, I all all of that stuff with just.
Speaker 3: Where the line where they thought the line or maybe they didn't even think about where the line could have been drawn, and then of course it just gets it just gets too late and like it's already well passed the line when you even think about those moments.
Speaker 1: It's the classic Jurassic Park line, right, everyone asked if they could before they asked if they should. Right, yes, you know, fucking Spilberg them great writing, because I always go back to that, and that's what it is. Because even the scientists near the end, they start having those group meetings right of the alone, and like when Appenheim walks in, they all like clap, but they're all very It's like when the principal walks in and you've been trashing him and not him, but just the idea of because they I feel like they're starting to get the sense too that the closer they get to completion, they're starting to lose control because they kind of know the jigs up. They because they're oh, should they be drapped? But it does. It's like the sad thing, but it is the right thing, right because technically they are employees that got hired, they're not. It's the same thing as moving, the same thing as us, like you can work, but if you don't own the business, you don't get much of a say. So this idea of them talking about, hey, should you drop a bomb? Should you just maybe give a warning because some of them were saying, oh, well, maybe warn Japan that there's a bomb, But then they go, well no, if it doesn't work, and then they strike back. But that's I like, the same thing. They're posing all these questions, but it doesn't matter because at the end of the day, it can be every science scientist and every worker, they're every family member. They're not going to get a say, you know, and it's a it's like I said, there's gray areas, right because that technically by law. They shouldn't, right, because that's it's higher elected officials that get to make that say. But it's a human issue, and it's a it's good stuff. It's stuff that I think that'll be rewarding rewatches too. And that's why it's not everyday watch because I don't want to every day be thinking about bombs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like like that moral decision of like what would I do if I was an Alpenheimer's position, you know, because they hit him with that all the time. Of if it's not the if it's not Japanese, it's the Russians, Like they hit him with all these scenarios.
Speaker 1: If we don't do this, someone else is gonna do it too. You and you could argue that. So let's ta get a second a break, and we'll lea. We're back, and we're back. Where do we want to go next?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 5: I think I want to shout out some smaller characters sure in this just because as we've mentioned now, like there's just so many surprise actors that bumped up in this that I don't know. It's almost like you could have a Bengo card and just be having a heyday over here. But Alex Wolf popping up as like one of the scientists. I like that, you know, between Alex Wolf and Florence pugetting a little bit of the ari aster, like you know, leading star, like checking those boxes off.
Speaker 2: So obviously a big fan of.
Speaker 5: I don't really think there's anything to say about his character, but I like to see him in there. I think he's good for what he had to do. I guess this act name is Dylan Arnold, who played Frank oppenheim Er, his brother who I only recognized from you. Yeah, so he was such a surprise to see him here and then like what a different kind of role that is.
Speaker 2: And I thought he was very good for what he was doing here. I got it.
Speaker 5: The one thing that was very weird to me was when they're like older, yeah, and I thought the older him, he still looked like he's fucking too.
Speaker 1: Young, too young. Yeah, when they game like they were seeing a hairline and thing, It's like he just looks stressed up, like you you should have shot him from the back maybe, you know, like don't show his face. But yeah, I feel like we're gonna in the next few years, we're gonna see him, you know. I wish just happened before the draft is maybe would have got him, but I feel like we're gonna see him. He's pretty I think for a young age, he's pretty talented. And I'll say I think if no one gets you, it's gonna happen. And that's the thing that's surprising to this movie only has one hundred million dollars budgets. So you know a lot of these bigger actors they're taking big pay cuts, but like why, like, I guarantee you everything with the minimum way, yeah, just to get in there. Even Matt Damon, he he's on a break from acting. They said, the only reason I will stop a break is if Nolan called hi. Then I guess, like two weeks later, Nolan calls, like I want you to be in this movie. He's like, well, sorry, wife, I'm gonna go do But I think that's it, right. Nolan's just that director. If you can work with him. Even That's why I think, even like a Pew who's in here not that long, if you can work with him, you're gonna jump with the chance to work with him, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's uh yeah, mm hmm, yeah. Gary Oldman as I YEA.
Speaker 5: Truman just so good, Despicable Human, what a great scene. I didn't even recognize him in the in the moment, like they did some good job with the the makeup there, And obviously that's a mainstay for Nolan.
Speaker 2: I guess he only has he.
Speaker 5: Been in any other than the Batman movies. I'm trying to think no, and so I guess it's been quite a few years since he's been in one or movie since.
Speaker 2: That was cool to see him.
Speaker 1: Back, and I was hoping because I I think he only popped for a little bit and ten a little bit Dunkirk. I was hoping that Kane would pop in because I think Kane's been in every movie, but he wasn't in this Michael Kane. So yeah, And I thought it could have worked here by me.
Speaker 2: Old white men there were in this movie. There was that chances.
Speaker 5: But I guess maybe the accent. I don't know what his American accent is. Yeah, maybe he wouldn't fit or something like.
Speaker 1: That, or Canny is gonna old im. Just like I don't need to have a five matt scene here, like, unless it's a media performance, I don't need to take a trip down, you know, because some of those movies like Interstellar, he's only in there for a little bit in the inception he plays Leo's dad. You know, it's just like at that point it felt like I need to make sure he's in there. But oldman was great. I love when he's walking out, He's like, get that crime a man, I'm off But like it's it's.
Speaker 3: There was like a famous quote too that Truman actually said, yeah, so yeah, I found that out afterwards.
Speaker 1: But again that's where Oppenheimer's ego is. When you know Danny's characters Truman, they're despicable people in a sense. They're not like murders and stuff like that, but they're very cut through right, well technically true, but that's I do like that line where he goes, no one's gonna talk when they blame everyone about who killed these people. No one's talking about the person that dropped the ball. They're gonna be talking about the person that chose where to drop the ball, or whether they made the bomb and drop the ball, Ye built the bomb, who dropped on which is like, in a sense, it is like people still do talk about Oppenheim, right, and it's office. You know, he has this moral conflict, but that is true too at the same point where yeah, he didn't choose to you know, as we seeing these movies, we don't he didn't choose drop it. He or even said we could use a warning. And that's where you can see the difference is though that even Truman as the president is in full war mode and he acknowledges that. You know, great line there when he's like, I feel like I got blood in my hands. He takes the handkerchief out and you want to wipe them off their son. And it's so great though that he is, like I said, he's in that warmind of he realizes the weight of hey, I'm the one that chose to drop this bomb and kill them, but he's just kind of over it. He's already accepted it and he's not torn that way. And it is true where he didn't he didn't choose to drop the bomb. Open higher. They commissioned to make the bomb, and he made the bomb. They didn't have to drop the bomb, and they did. And that's where it is an Oppenheimer, where he's kind of an ego thing of you can still feel guilty about doing that, but that guy is still the one that had the bigger choice in the government, and oh see they're in this movie. They're portrayed as not having too much more out and maybe that's stuff that catches up with you later. It's probably you know, it's again, it's you're in the middle of war. It's the same thing. We haven't lived through war, but it was what we have. I guess what I'm trying to make the comparison is, I just remember after nine to eleven, everybody was like, we need to kill this set of people and do this set of things. When you're in a war, the mindset of the world completely changes, and it's not until after when you go it's same thing to Afghanist and how much stuff has come back where you go that wasn't need to happen, That didn't need to happen. There weren't really weapons of mass destruction there. But in the middle of it, when you you know, twenty eleven two towers get attacked and hundreds and thousands of people are affected and die, you're just going, Okay, we got to attack next. So that's where it's the same thing. I couldn't imagine being the president having to you can't. You almost have to check that the door. I guess, right, but then should you check the door? And again all great questions the movie poses.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a common enemy, right to unify and come together, and then once the dust settles, it's like, oh shit, we gotta go back to our lives here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look like Truman was old, so he probably didn't have too many years after that. So it's probably why he wasn't as guilty because by the time we come around, oh I'm gonna be out of here, We'll a Oppenheimer is still still a little bit life to live.
Speaker 5: So yeah, And as far as my your characters go, I feel like I don't have really much to say on Matt Damon. I was almost hoping for a bit more of him, but I think, after what the kind of character he is in here, I'm I'm also then okay that he's not any more, because I think he's a fairly flat character. There's not too much going on with him, and he's not too compelling. But I still liked his involvement here, and I like the dynamic that him and Oppenheimer had. I thought it was it was all good stuff there, they kind of budding up, but then he still like keeps that distance from him, and yeah, I don't know. I like that obviously as the project is starting to close down, as we're talking about where Okay, they have the bomb. The US government at this point has the bomb. They don't really need Oppenheimer and these scientists anymore. But I feel like there's still a good element there where I guess Groves is his character's name, he's still kind of like he's built up that friendship, so he still wants to hang on to it. But at the same time, he's got protocol and he's like loyal to you as Army above Oppenheimer, so he's still he's not sharing all the information.
Speaker 2: With him there. So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I wonder what you would do if you say he gave that character in additional ten to fifteen minutes of screen time. I wonder what kind of things you would try and do with it. It's ends up being a bit of a simple character when it's all said and done, But I.
Speaker 2: Thought he was well done for what he had to do here.
Speaker 5: Definitely not maybe not as compelling as Matt Damon in another Nolan film.
Speaker 2: For reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I feel like he like an Interstellar, He's like that pathetic asshole, and then this he's like the confident asshole. And I funny though, I feel like most of the humor was actually around his character, maybe just his reaction to Oppenheimer just just yeah, being like very literal with certain moments. I found myself just laughing a lot, and like my theater just laugh laughing to a lot of reactions around him. And it's probably just Matt Damon being so good at just handling whatever role he has to fill. He just carried those most Like I could have had another actor that's portrayed a general in like sixteen other movies, you know, like those character actors that you just always see in these general roles. I feel like I could have been fine with that, but Matt Damon just brought some extra extra spice on that that cappuccino, So I'm glad he was added.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what he has, he has that element only a few actors do, kind of like Tom Hanks where he can still play in every Man sort of feel like you can look at Matt Damon and envision this guy where sometimes, like you said, Kreon's like it's a caricature actor of like, I'm the sergeant. Okay, you're playing sergeant, but I can still see a real guy in that Damon's character. And I like that. You know, Oppenheimer want him to phone, he didn't phone, but then he phoned right after the bomb, so it was that same that there's a connection there, but he still couldn't give him all the access. And I really really like the ending of the hearing because there's a bunch of people turn their back on Oppenheimer and he does best to stay on protocol, but not also throw Oppenheimer under the bus because they said, oh, would you clear him now? And he says no, and right away they try to like, hey, that's it, that's everything, but he tries to be like, I wouldn't clear any of them. He's like, no, We've we got everything we need from you. He goes, no, I want on the record that I wouldn't have cleared anybody that worked back there in this time with these new guidelines, so kind of saying that, yeah, I'm condemning Oppenheimer, but I'm condemning everybody and almost condemning the government system is like it was faulty back then from what they deemed it, right how many solo years later. So I like that it was and you would think that this was the guy who's at the b of the movie just wants to build a bomb, very army focused, that he would not care about throwing any dirt on Alpaheimer. Just he go in there, answer the question, say what they wanted, Hey, would you clear him? No? And then be good. But no, he gave that moment where some of Alpenheimer's actually friends, didn't, you know, like the guy we talked about before the Safti's character, Like, there's a few of them that had that shift where they were looking out for their own ass or one they're more funding and just wanted to build bigger bomb stuff where Matt dams reason character. And I imagine at this point I could be wrong, but I would imagine at this point when we get to the hearing, they've probably not been in contact that much, you know, I imagine they don't. They're not getting together for tea and crumpets or anything like they've they've separated. So that's where I like that even years later, he doesn't really throw him under the bus when he could have, like everybody else, and you got a couple of other characters that go hard, obviously his wife and Matthew Modine's character. It's like, oh, you're gonna have to put me on trial too, and all this stuff. So there's a couple. But I was almost expecting him because they ask would you clear them? And then you don't get that answer for like an hour because they cut and then it goes back to the hearing later on, so I was I was very curious because then they showed more relationships, so I didn't know which trae it was gonna go. Because also I think when we got his answer, it was a montage of a lot of characters dog piling on him. So it's like, oh, this is another guy who kind of screws him, and he screws them a little, but it's like accidental because he could have still said no, but he was trying his best to be a I guess, like keep his conscience clean, but still help this guy out who was you know? And he sassified. At no point did I feel like he was ever unloyal to America, which every person got asked that, and they're trying to hit on him being a Russian spy, even though they already snooped out who the Russian spy was there, but they were they almost trying to put that on Oppenheimer, you know, so just.
Speaker 3: Trying to entrap them, which is just like illegal to my mind. But again, they just make their own fucking rules or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, since we were talking about mad Damon.
Speaker 3: Another scene that I just really really really liked was was that night of the testing when they're waiting for five point thirty when they're waiting for the rain to clear, and it's just the two of them like in the bunks, you know, sharing a drink, because like, these are the two that basically started this entire thing, and here they are right at the tail end of it essentially, and it's just like fucking two billion dollars spent two years, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we are done if this does not go well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like although maybe they don't have a lot in common, like they are like they're they're the two right there that like that, like they they have the most in common in that one single moment.
Speaker 4: So I just I really liked that little sit down. It reminded me of the first Captain America.
Speaker 3: Actually, when you have like the night before the procedure essentially just a little sit down between the professor and Steve Rogers, and I don't know, I just it really in my mind similar scene, and I just really like both those scenes.
Speaker 1: It's a nice calm before the storm, and it wasn't the trip, but I still love the conversation of him discovering that technically there's very small percentage that he could just keep eating the air and the oxygen and destride the entire world. And he's like, well, well, what's like the theory, guys, Well, it's like a near impossibility? Is it nearer impossible? Is not? You know that theory? It can't be just impossible. It was like, what would you want the answer to be? Zero? I'd want to be zero. And it's great because, like you said, and they're both you got the army guy and the scientist guy. They are that everyone reports to them, you know, because even in the middle sometimes people give all the timer crap. They're like, you haven't done anything to build this bomb for weeks. But it's because now he's like on the political side of talking to people and taking meetings and stuff, so he's even his role has grown from just scientists to now like looking after all these people, and he had to be on the road convinced these people. You see, some people quit in the middle, some people that don't want to work with each other. So he has to be a wrangler of scientists. So he's very much kind of like in a sports analogy, the coach of the scientists and Matt Dames the coach of that. And yeah, that's that's a good scene and I love what it's I love when it's raining because you just imagine you're about to set out this bomb and it's just that has to be like even worse because like everything's slippery, and they even talk about that, like, oh are they safe. They're like, oh, are they safe by the metal tower carrying the world destroying bomb? Yeah? I think so. And it's just like it's just pouring on. These guys are like trying, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: Like could be going off, like just like the worst possible situation.
Speaker 1: Everything, but they gotta go right because we got July ninth or whatever the date was, Like, we gotta do this fucking bomb. And it's just it's great. And that's a good scene too when they do the bomb and he gets back there and everyone's cheering that's before it goes off, and there's a great shot of when they hoist killing Murphy and he's cheering and got the American flag behind him because it's such a good like America watching over this and what it's gonna change for the world. So lots of great stuff there because it's supposed to be raw raw, and then fifteen minutes later, that's why it kind of turns be in the moment you get your classic sports movie more like yeah, we won, we won whatever championship it is, we did it. And then it's like, no, we got a whole another hour of you know, people really stressing about this bomb. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh, Florence Pugh, should we talk about this characters?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I didn't really.
Speaker 5: Fully I guess when I was watching the movie, I didn't fully understand any when I was walking home after watching it that didn't fully understand, like, Okay, what the what the purpose that they're trying to do with this character because she had more screen time than I was expecting. I thought of the trailers that she'd be in there for like a scene or two, but she ended up being in a lot more, and some of it she's like not actually there. It's like flashbacks, and the timing of it is weird, but I think it's actually once again from the perspective of this movie all being CenTra around Oppenheimer and his view and perspective of things.
Speaker 2: I think this kind of being like a.
Speaker 5: Small distilled version of he feels like he is responsible for her death because of his actions or his inactions at certain points, and seeing that, like comparing that to how he feels about the bomb and his responsibility there, I think is a really great one to one comparison because you have obviously, like even when we get to the parts when Japan is being bombed, like we never see that, we never see anyone. We see that one person in the crowd, but that's just like a mirage almost right, it's not even a real thing. That part of it is pretty disconnected. So I think it is a good call to have an incredibly personal connection and someone that we've seen have a good rapport, like it's a very chaotic relationship and it's like they're not good for each other. They split up, but you know that they've had this story pass. And to have someone that he is personally, very emotionally close to and obviously that death is not caused because of the bomb, but to have that one in one comparison, I thought was a really effective thing, and I think it really helps add to Oppenheimer as a character and and helps make make some of the other stuff feel a bit more believable. Concerning that, we don't actually see the scenes of the bombing, and they do that in a very interesting way. Right once again, we only see the trial run of the bomb. We don't actually see a scene in Japan. So I think that was a really smart move and really well done. Yeah, I definitely want to see Florence Pew and another Nolan thing later on with a bit more of a media role, but you know, you could. This is a criticism I've seen for just all of Nolan is that he's just not really great at writing women, and he's movies are ever centered around women.
Speaker 2: And that's totally fair.
Speaker 5: You know, if he's not good at it, I'm like, you know, focus on what you're good on and keep excelling in that. So maybe we wouldn't see that, but I'd like to see her come back and do another character at some point.
Speaker 2: But I thought this was an interesting, interesting role for her.
Speaker 1: That's what I love too, because I can't remem some interview they talked about, because that's always been a critique to that, like seeing the romance stuff. He's never been the greatest at He's like, oh, this is by far my most romantic movies. So it's like just a girl being naked. I like, I I didn't walk away and be like, man, this love between the two and that's fine, Like Dylan said, I don't need that. I think it served its purpose because I was the same as Dylan where the first half I was like, I don't know what this is needed for. Like I love Florence Pugh. I actually think they are good chemistry for the few scenes they are in. But I was like, is this just a biography because some of thees do that where it's like we need to hit on all these points in his life and if it doesn't go to the word story, it's just there. And I at first like, Eh, this is somewhere am I gonna feel like it could have been cut? But like Dylan said, it's almost like a mini preview and there's no way the man could know. And again, how it's framed in the movie not in real life. But in this movie, there's no way he could know that. The relationship with his ex wife is very similar to the raceship he's gonna have with this bomb of feeling like he could have done more and could have stopped some things, but he, you know, just had to go a certain way. And that loss kind of echoes what he's gonna feel more so later on when he has to you know, not lose, you know, the loss of life. Maybe that's what I'm talking about more, just that sort of loss, is being the head of it and being the face, like when he gets that magazine, like the the what was it? The man who created the whatever?
Speaker 5: Ball?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And just that's the way of he's getting praised for all these things. So yeah, I thought it served its purpose well as went forward. My only critique is I wish that Nolan saved the nudity for the scene in the and the hearing, because I think would have been a lot bigger of them both being naked because for the most part, they both don't really need to be naked at it, like when they're just in the chairs and stuff. It was like, okay, So I wish that because that scene that feels like an A twenty four horror movie scene when they're interrogating him and they start talking and it's like the classic like underwear dream sequens, right, they're talking to him and they do this great thing where they pan the camera past Jason's Jason's Clark and yeah, they go buy him, and then he's nude, and it's like, oh man, what's happening? And then they pan again and you just get ridden by Florence Pugh and they're completely naked. They're like see, like you could see stuff, and you get that horrific shot of her influence. You just eyed staring at each other. But that's where I wish the nudity came in, because that would have just been more impactful, like oh geez, like all this is going on and it's not a big critique, but that seemed to me that felt like an A twenty four movie when weird shit just happened, Like what's going on? But I loved it was a good allegory four because it's a closed hearing, but it's all gonna go public. So even though she knows about this, they've talked about him having an affair, it's both of them feeling so exposed and it really has nothing to do with the trial because if they are convinced he might be the leak to Russia, there's nothing to do with it, just trying to well, yeah exactly. And it's such a great scene because they're both exposed that moment and they're both humiliated. They're both for what they have to do and they don't. And by last point too before you go Kirkling is another a twenty four like scary moment is when they showed her dying and there's like a two second cut of a guy holding her with a glove in the water, and I love just that happen stance of what are they insinuating here, Like was this like, yeah, sure there's a suicide note, but this like is there And maybe that's in the book where maybe oppen hyper puts that that theory foward that she was killed for some other reason where it's connected to him, whether it's because the party she was in, But it's great where you see the glove and that cuts back to the regular scene of her drowning herself, so you really don't know, like, man, what happened they're seeing that glove. That was scary. I was like, geez, that's it. It's it's a quick cut, but I I had goosebumps in that moment, so good stuff around her.
Speaker 4: It happened so fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's when they're talking about her dying, it's her head down and then for a second it's a cut of just a black guve holding her head down the water. It's almost insinuating that maybe because they say that and she's and that's when they cut timly bumping like, oh, it wasn't your fault. So I feel like in the book, maybe Oppenheiper proposed something that maybe there was something going on that was not or that could just be his guilt, like oh, she wouldn't kill herself.
Speaker 5: Like I think it's more that like yeah, he feels it so strongly that it's almost as if his hand was pushing around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree. I feel like in the the what do we even call it? The secret this trial close hearing?
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 3: I forgot our initial term for it's been so long. H yeah, the close hearing secrets of them just going so hard into detail about like his relationship with her. It's yeah, it's just to like get under his skin for sure, but like the place devil advocate to it, like they are just linking him to other communists numbers right, and she was a communist, so like I I at least understand why she was brought up, but like for them to go so hard again, that's where if you have if you have like a judge there, you can have you know, your own lawyer kind of like put an end to that and then the relevant Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's all yeah, exactly not this, I mean like did you fuck her? Like right from his wife and his wife, And I love that scene to because his wife's like fiddling like yeah, she's gonna pull a drink, and that not too far after the lawyers like she can't like she's not gonna talk because for a moment, the lawyer's saying that she's not gonna go take the stand. She's not gonna say it because he can't trust her. Even in that scene, she's like fiddling with her person when she's getting talked to by Jesus and Clark at the beginning, like she might have a drink just in front of everybody. You're like, oh my god, she's just gonna pour one out right now in front of everybody, but she you know, kept it contained.
Speaker 3: So and oh just great Emily Blend performance in that moment, just looking so vulnerable, like part of me not keeping eye contact with anyone, Like she just seems super uneasy there. Getting back to Florence though, Yeah, I know her her performance, like she just she's she brings one hundred percent like any scene, like whether it's just her in the background, with her like mannerisms, like she just she's acting twenty four to seven like when she's on screen, and she just does such a good job with it.
Speaker 4: I I do like the inclusion purely for just the.
Speaker 3: Maybe the development that it gives to Oppenheimer's character of of coming to that conclusion of like finding his moral compass like halfway through, Like I just I just find that a lot more palatable of him, Like I feel like I didn't need it, but the fact that it is in there, like something else that just is evident that like his direct or indirect action led to a death of someone close to him, It just led to him having this conclusion of like the weight of dropping you know, like a nuclear bomb, just an entire country of people, and like if you thought so brutal about like one individual, like even though you knew that person just elsewhere in the world, what it's affecting them. I did like how that was done. I feel pretty similar to you guys, though, like in the early periods, because I just I knew she was in the movie. I didn't know what character she was or what like. I didn't know she was a scientist. I don't know if she was his wife or anything like that. So I was a little unaware on where to gauge her. So in the beginning stages, I feel like I was just waiting to get to that moment. But yeah, I did not see it going the way that it did. But great performance nonetheless. So I am, like you guys, hopeful that she'll maybe be paired up with Nolan in the future. Maybe she's going like the Killian Murphy route, you know, like he had very minor roles in the early early movies. Yeah, then it's just gonna be her right on the cover.
Speaker 2: I'd be wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I gotta say the one thing that so that scene during the trial you said is a twenty four ish when she's when she's just riding them, they're both naked, I dine laughing, laughing.
Speaker 2: For me, it was not a horror thing.
Speaker 5: I thought that was very very cheesy, and I actually wish they didn't do it. It was a bit too goofy for me, and I was, yeah, I was cracking up for a good like min or two.
Speaker 2: It was just hilarious to me.
Speaker 5: So I don't think that's the expected response there. I just think, Yeah, for me, it was the way it was, the shot and the goofiness of it was it was a bit silly.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I think the character is very well done.
Speaker 1: All I was wondering because I want to see the scene again. I was just wondering if if they shot it separately, if.
Speaker 5: Everyone was in the room with that, I can't Yeah, that would it seems very awkward to have to shoot Yeah, because both professionals and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I want I watch scene again, because there's a shot where it's all in the people of the back, but I want to see there's enough clear cutoff for a lots of times Peel do it where they film the two scenes separately and then you just interspice them together and stuff, because it would have been a would have been quite a day of filming.
Speaker 5: But I think that's even like a thing you have to do like legally if you're doing like nude scenes like that, Like yeah, usually unless you see the people who are crucial to the scene, unless I mean in the script, are all those twelve people crucial.
Speaker 1: Like all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm trying to remember like what the shots are like, because I know there's like the zoom didn't shot from like Emily Blunt's perspective when you're like seeing her face like over her shoulder, which is so goofy to me, Like I can't remember who was like in the background of that shop, and then the rest of it's usually like looking at the back of Florence, right, And.
Speaker 1: You never know. That's why Fends might be in this world because like like it's all good for her. She's a person literally is just she's nude all the time, she's on red carpet, she's new all the time. So it might have been like the script has written that way and on the red carpet, oh yeah, like just last week she's wearing a dress. No, she's wearing a dress, like you get see through she's not dude, but you can see the top of the day. You can see everything she doesn't. She's one of those like I don't care if you're caught, So that could have been the way roll no Olan' in the scene. It's like, well, there's only a few actresses that are gonna do this scene, and even Killian, right, he'd be sitting there butt ass naked in front of all.
Speaker 4: These people, right and Killy it's like, diet, I guess I do it.
Speaker 1: You know, So like that's why. Maybe it's like you needed someone that's gonna be bold enough, like, hey, you're gonna be naked a bunch of people, but we want, we need the scene, you know.
Speaker 3: So we'll say I always give you credit with your accents, but you're Killian Murphy. I don't think it's up to part.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard him enough because I always forget the interviews.
Speaker 2: He has such a different where's he from?
Speaker 3: He's like Irish, yeah, very like heavy Irish accent, but it's like a lower Irish.
Speaker 1: So that's why when the interviews, I have to I gotta get I gotta get more used to it. And I don't think I'm great with those. I'm good with people like weird voices, so maybe I'll have to I'll watch Piggy Blinders because I think that's on the list. More after this and then I'll I'll learn. But even then, is that his natural accent?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: And that show Peggy Blinders? I think so because he plays like an Irish irishman Like years he.
Speaker 1: Thought it was silly and I had to tell you it was killian. So I don't know if you can trust you. I gotta, I gotta watch it, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, get on there, it's a great show. I heard this quote that he like he was living in London just because you know, he's very popular actor, big bigger town, but he actually moved back because he didn't like his kids getting like a normal English accent. He wanted to have that that dirty Irish accent.
Speaker 4: Respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an interesting cat. He's not in a bad way, just like he's he's like that. He's a very guy that he's keeps himself out of the public eye and stuff. So there's lots of good means around the time. The strike of it's like Killy Murphy learning how he has to do no more press and she's like all these celebratory stuff. Yeah, interesting anything else, specifically a shout out character scenes moments.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a couple more things here, So the obviously, Yeah, the black and white sequences, which is a trick that Nolan has done before with Memento, that it's used differently than it is Mementomento is like, well, I don't really want to spoil if people haven't seen those, but I guess I'll say here that essentially black and white is used for like, this is the current time, and then you know, the scenes in color are kind of the story I guess chronologically going through, and then you kind of have a bit of that momental moment where I think it's like the first time you see Robert Downe in color is kind of when you've caught up like the I guess the origin story stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll say, caught up with real time.
Speaker 5: We're back and we're in the closed trial and we're like kind of closing up and everything's in the present day at this point. Both stories have connected.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I think in terms of Nolan messing with time, which is a big thing in his movies, we talked about that along the retrospective. Of course, this is I guess kind of one of the most light inclusions of it. Where you're going back and forth between present and past. But I found that it was never really confusing, and it wasn't used as to be like some big plot twisty thing. It was more just the proper way to tell this story and build up the suspension and tension and have certain characters that wouldn't really make sense to be in like a certain I guess either the past or I'll say the present or the past, and see through that method of the editing and whatnot, you can get them both in there. So obviously that must have been pretty intentional. I have to imagine with the way they filmed it, because they probably would have filmed the black and white scenes like with different cameras and tech.
Speaker 1: That's something that yeah, no one definitely would be. Yeah, especially for true black and white, you got to do different lighting, and.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I wonder where that moment went for some of those scenes with Robert Downey when they finally have him in color, if they would have shot those toys or with two cameras and they figure out later if they're going to edit it, or if he truly just from the beginning he knew exactly how this movie was going to be laid out and when to have the black and white and when to not do it, because yeah, I'm sure if you like film the scene without those specific cameras and then you try to fix it later in the editing with like okay, throw a black and white filter on, it would probably not look the same and definitely not up till Nolan's standards. So yeah, I thought that was a good inclusion, and I always like when there's kind of little connectivity between a director's filmographies. Was fun, especially Memento's one of my favorites of his.
Speaker 2: One I've seen a lot.
Speaker 1: It was cool, well, much like Memento too, for you know, go watch that movie. But he also said the color differences are the black and white is what has objectively happened, and the color is from Oppenheimer's point of view, so it's skewed. That's what he said. Yeah, that's what he said, was the differences of the color.
Speaker 2: So if you think about that, very excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you think about that, the black and white stuff is mostly the downy stuff the trial. You get some flashbacks with Oppenheimer, of course, but most of them are featured around those bigger scenes that are you could imagine find on like everything that Downy went through is on record as far as you know, on public trial seeing some of that trial stuff. Because that's the thing. When you see that scene of Downy laughing at his joke, he's in color, but when they show it again, it's in black and white and he's not laughing. So that's the way in Albuneier's mind he made this joke like, oh, everybody must have loved it, but when they go to reality, it's actually fucking Strouss being like fuck you man, like you're you're embarrassing me in front of everybody, like I'm gonna get you end of the movie. Knowing that I didn't know that, yeah, because that he had answered that about a few months ago, because the ones the trailer said, everyone's like, what's the difference, and he had said, oh, well it's this and this, So I luckily had that going in there. So that's why it's a little like momento where he does use the colors to show a certain perspectives of characters and timeline. So yeah, watch out for that when you watch it again. But most of the black and white. That's why majority of that is on Downy because that's the stuff that's on public record of like, okay, this happened. This guy made a statement, he didn't get a seat, you know stuff.
Speaker 3: So Kenneth Bron Bron Karana. I love his I just love him as an actor. I specifically with his roles in Nolan movies. Again, like the more I watched Tenant, I just I love him as a piece of shit, asshole villain.
Speaker 4: He's just so good in that role.
Speaker 3: But in here he's just you know, a lot, a lot more minor of a role just playing Neil's Bore, a scientist that you know, I learned about in chemistry back in the day, So it's just funny to have a familiar face betray him and just like the big scientists.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's probably so many more that I didn't.
Speaker 3: Even recognize, like throughout the movie, but the one, I mean, you had Alt Einstein of course, in here, Neil's boor Werner Heisenberg, like the German guy that was that was helping the Nazis try and find their own bomb. Just like hearing those names and having like surface level knowledge of them, it was just kind of interesting thinking about these scenes where, especially back when like Oppenheimer was a student when they were doing those flashbacks early on in the movie of just him being so enamored about like learning different things from because like I don't know it just I think something that will probably go a little bit less noticed for this movie is just how well that was told of like where science was in this era, Like you can't just go on the internet and like FaceTime, you know a scientist like in in wherever, like because he was in the States, and then he made a big emphasis that he he had to go study in Europe because nobody is talking about quantum mechanics here, like he has to learn about it. And then he's there and he really hates his teacher. He he you know, like he's super excited for the Neils Bore lecture, but he's just around in class.
Speaker 4: So just like stay back.
Speaker 3: He almost almost murders his is his professor. But then yeah, just fast forward to like it turned like he actually has a conversation with Neil's borr and it's like you're probably wasting your time here, like you should go to this place to study more of the theory side and just the linking together of all these different inspirations that again just allows him to come to different conclusions with the science stuff.
Speaker 4: I find that just so.
Speaker 3: Interesting and I loved I love the way that they did the shot of him like at school, just not being able to sleep because all like he's terrified of just the thought of like what quantum mechanics is. And it just was a cool little insight into like how a super super super brilliant person is just like cursed in that sense that like they can't just calm their mind down and like think about memes, you know, like I know memes are around this time, but just just stupid random things. Like they're thinking about literally the structure of the universe and how at all these moments like it could just collapse or break apart, and like again the great editing of just flashing in those moments. It's almost like a nightmare like that, no kidding, he can't sleep just thinking about these little particles that are just all around us. And I can't remember which character he's talking to, but he's explaining how I oh, it was his other mistress on one of the other person's wives that he was he was getting all interested in, but she was like explaining to me quantum mechanics, and he was just saying how everything is majority like empty space, and it's just it's just a perspective that vast majority of people would just not be thinking about. But for him, that's just like the main way of thinking. So again, I was kind of going all over the place there, but I just love the his the way that they showcased his thought process, and again just all the scientists and stuff that we're including this movie.
Speaker 4: I really like that.
Speaker 5: I'm really glad you shouted that out because I think that was an interesting element of it where and this is once again could just be like a Nolan playing with time sort of thing, but they try and show that multiple times where he can kind of see the future in the way and not in a big sci fi way where he can be a doctor strange and literally see what's gonna happen. But like that scene of everyone stomping in the courthouse thing, when he's like, you know, out making that big announcement, like that happens way earlier in the movie before it actually happens in the actual movie, and that's kind of interesting, or I guess I should say, in the timeline. So that's kind of interesting that there's a few elements of that, and he's just kind of always a few steps ahead. And that's when obviously he starts to get super worried about the bomb because he knows what it's gonna do. And then I think that, you know, that ties like right in into the ending, which kind of has like you could take it almost as like an inception sort of thing, that, oh, is this the ending of the movie or is he just imagining it. It's definitely not as ambiguous as Inception is in that way, but I still think it's like, man, he is having this thought and like he's envisioning what all these bombs are gonna look like, and this the world being destroyed by all these things, and it's like that's just kind of left with you as a viewer of like, that's probably just gonna happen someday, isn't it. Like I don't know, life's gonna go on, so for as long as human beings are gonna be around, that could just straight up be what the end of all of this is is some situation where obviously we have all these things set in place now, so the bombs are not made like this, but yeah, like that that very well could happen, and the fact that he's just kind of cursed with the knowledge of it because he has that greater understanding is kind of a terrifying thought and in that very null anyway, like a good place to just like roll the credits at that point and leave you with that particular thought. And that's that's a fucking terrifying thing to think about, because this is not a sci fi movie. This is what life is like, well at least the black and white sequences are what life is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, absolutely, And I feel like that point, like even like back in the day, like Elementary just go I remember just hearing that fact that like, yeah, we have enough nukes to destroy the world twice and then like that was like almost twenty years ago now, so it's like, I'm sure we've even have even more nukes than that. It's just like what is the purpose of that? Like, who would ever need that many nukes to just destroy everything? But that is the reality that we live in, And yeah, that's a good shout out at the end of the movie, just just leaving us with that moment of like the ripples, and again, it's just a very very artsy shot of like the rain drops and then relating that to the different just bombs going off eerie, very eerie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because nowadays all like the big countries have nukes and stuffing like that in the little countries. Now, Yeah, exactly right, And it's that that thing where if one goes off, then it's we've never had That's always the fear, is right, nuclear war. There's been nukes drop, But to have a nuclear war where multiple countries are throwing them around, you hope that the You hope it never gets to that point, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean even what they're talking about with the science of it, how if this bomb was made slightly differently, like one bomb could destroy everything just because the chain reaction element of it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have fun, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't.
Speaker 5: I feel like I want to talk more about Keilly Murphy, but I don't know what else to say. I guess for me, like I think going forward, whenever I'm thinking about like a gray area character, an ambiguous character, you know, are they morally right or wrong? That kind of thing, I feel like this is gonna be one of like the prime examples of a character to look at because it's just such an interesting element of it, of the we've talked about the responsibility that he feels and you could debate, you could debate.
Speaker 2: That all day, all year, all lifelong of like is he truly responsible or is he not?
Speaker 5: That sort of stuff is really interesting then, even Yeah, just on the personal side, like he also is a cheater, and he also abandoned a child and was probably a very absent father, and like I had all these issues as like a human being outside of like just who he was as like a scientist in person and all that stuff, And yeah, I found that element interesting too, when it's someone has that line of like, dude, you haven't done like it's paraphrase here, you haven't done any sciencing in weeks. You know, Like he's not even doing that element anymore because he's kind of caught up in the maybe not fortune and a little bit of fortune, but like fame and fortune and the glory of all of it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, like we've already talked about that.
Speaker 5: That scene when he's just talking to the crowd and he's obviously having these visions. He's like tripping out at this point, But like Matt, every line of dialogue he has there and how he's just like he's just selling his.
Speaker 1: Soul one line at a time, a propaganda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, line after line.
Speaker 5: It is like it's disgusting, but like and there's the other side of it, of like the sympathetic side of it, Like to some extent, you've seeing how he acted in certain moments, like he was actively trying to stop them from using this bomb and he didn't he didn't want it to be dropped at all eventually, So there's that element of it, and he very well could have been close to like getting them to stop doing that. Maybe not, maybe just the US was just so savage and was going to do it no matter what, even if the bomb was like half as strong as it was, and there was something else I was gonna say about.
Speaker 1: Like I think at that time, Yeah, because at that time, like Matt daven has that line where he yells like it's the most important thing, but it really was. You look at documentaries and movies and books and stuff, it's was viewed as like this was it was the end times. It was all someone's gonna die, and it was just people going and getting killed and killed, and especially.
Speaker 3: Like where the world was when they started the project, right like that's like the Nazis are still kicking and like.
Speaker 4: Two years later evil is going on in the world, Like, yeah, that is the end times. Yeah, like it wasn't because look at us now our podcast.
Speaker 5: And then yeah, I think you know, also it's smart too, because we unless this's gonna be like an alternate history movie, like we know in some ways where things are gonna end up. So I think it was really smart too, Like I don't know what what I did not know enough about Alponheimer's history to know what the result of that closed hearing was gonna be, And so I think that was a really smart thing to turn that as to be like the final big reveals of the movie rather than like what we're building up to, just because that you would think that history is so ubiquitous that everyone kind of know that, maybe like some younger viewers would in or something like that. But I thought that was a really smart move. And then also I just thought it was interesting that they like when we start when we're in it in the movie, like Killy Murphy's carry or Oppenheimer, I just say his name. He's kind of he's already like renowned, like almost worldwide or in several country countries. He's already proven to be very smart, and we're just kind of told that rather than being shown that. So I thought there's an interesting choice. Obviously, this movie's i'm gonna say, only three hours long. You could have done it longer and shown what his early early college days and traveling and what that was like. We got, like, you know, we're just hints of it here there. And I think if this was a TV series that was like eight episodes long, you would do an episode of two of that with like the younger years, or maybe like his child or something like that. I don't think you need it here, but I did think it was an interesting choice, considering that we see so much of the rest of his life that we kind of just.
Speaker 2: Skipped forward to a few chapters.
Speaker 5: And I wonder if that's why the book starts off too, or if just from the filmmaking perspective adapting that, if that was just kind of like, well, we gotta started somewhere because we don't have you know, we don't have twenty hours to put in front of a to throw in a theater for people unless we do this part two, Part three, Part four, which I don't think would be a great idea.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that's pretty much it for me. On the note side of things.
Speaker 1: All right, well, Kirkling, I.
Speaker 4: Was just gonna shot out Danda Han.
Speaker 1: I quite like see dandaon back. Yeah, I always want to do more. Yeah, good asshole character. He's of course, you can just tell he's not. He gets there, he's he's trouble, you know.
Speaker 4: And the fucking Polka Dot man for you. I would never know that actor's name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, David Desmashin. Yeah, it was a good little role. I liked that he was in there. He's like a knowing classic. Great because he was in the Dark Night. He played Rachel DAWs like a fake. He's the shooter, he's with the joker and the parade and stuff, and that's when he was nobody.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He was just like a character actor and he's come so far, so it's it's fun to see him again. This felt like there's been some missing people. Of course you don't have like your Christian Bales. Maybe you're I'm trying to think of another like we were talking about Michael Kaine or even you could argue Guy Pierce, but this is really a Nolan best of like Dave del Smash and being in there like that's, like I said, a callback to The Dark Knight and stuff. So it's it's fun to see a lot of those, you know obviously, and Casey Affleck he was used again later on yeah, character.
Speaker 3: So and like I feel like I don't know, I've I've definitely seen Casey Affleck and saying in things mostly comedic roles. I just think of like The Ocean's movies, his character in that. But man, like they did for me at at least, I feel like they did a really good job and just show it Casey and how like dark this character is. And I didn't see him do any fucking dark things, just like the way that he was talking about certain situations or maybe that they're describing like his methods. I was like fearful on like in those moments, like just the possibilities of what could come from what he was about to do, and like I don't even know what he would be doing, Like I it's just such a great area. I just see him like the Baba Yaga, like a hit Man type character. Like I'm just I'm fearful for Oppenheimer with that character kind of being on his case.
Speaker 1: Rob and I everything. He's doing all the right things, like oh, I said this because I thought you want me to say that, and Matt du you know what I know say that He's like, who would cover for me? And he's like, well, I thought you'd cover for me. That's not like it, but it's good. Like it's like it's like you could look as comedic banter at the moment, but the way they edit it and have it it is like a very frightening thing. And then they spice it with the trial off because there's a recording of that conversation. So yeah, but again, he was in an Interstellar right he played the grown up Timothy Shallowmeade and stuff, so he yeah, he he's like it's funny him del smashin Gary Oldman. These Nolan favorites were kind of those were ones that weren't advertised in the press, Like those three weren't announced beforehand. So that's why I thought Michael Kay might show up, like well they have said, or Christian Bale. It's like he's British, like can we you know, I'm just waiting for him and Bail because I haven't done anything together, like they did four movies together in like a row, and then yeah, it's him and Jackman together and and same thing. Jackman. Jackman's the one that I always am mad that him, and especially once he's on Wolverine. Now he's back at it, but I always thought once he was down, like man, I love jack when him to get back together because I love what they did together in Prestige, but just hasn't happened. But you know, hopefully Nolan says he's taking the score, says he around making movies till he's like eighty. So I'm like, good, we got We've got lots of time. We got lots of times to do this. So uh, that's their last out break and we'll be back with our update rankings and final thoughts and all that could jazz. We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: And we're back.
Speaker 1: So, uh, Kirkland, did you you have an updated rankings?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 3: Got his phone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So go ahead, sir, what are your Obviously this is probably no punting a tentative because it's you know, you've just seen this movie rewatches, but just your initial feeling because we don't we were, we don't need to do a whole retro ranking episodes. So at one point we did rate rank these movies. So this is like an updated tierless and once heresis Oppenheimer, we'll get to his fucking wacky rating. You know, I don't know what would be never won there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like, just like even just updating this ranking, it was pretty difficult. I feel like my Nolan ranking will never be in the solid state. It'll always be like a liquid or a gas. It's just kind of floating around and things are intermingling. Because even just as I was staring at like, I had two movies that I kept swapping them out like back and forth. I'm like, okay, I know that that one deserves them. I'm like, ah no, I can't even so it's just a.
Speaker 4: Never changing thing.
Speaker 3: I watched one movie and it'll probably jump up the list. But with that said, I'm gonna start hear the bottom twelve, right, that's solve them.
Speaker 1: Sor rye it should be twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so start at the bottom. I have his first movie following it's and like all of these movies aren't aren't bad necessarily, it's just I mean, that's the quality that he has in my mind. So I have following, and then Memento. I actually I was not a fan of that movie when we went through the retro the first time I saw it, and it just didn't didn't really speak to me that much. Maybe it'll grow onto overtime. Third last, I have Insomnia. Moving up from that, I have The Dark Knight Rises. I still don't rewatch that movie all these years later, I watch You'll like it. Moving up from there, I have done Kirk and then Batman begins above that Oppenheimer. This that's where I'm slating this one, just above Batman begins. So here is the top five now, So starting at the fifth spot, I got Tenant, it's grown up the list with the more viewings. N Then I have Inception, followed by The Prestige in the third splot, third splot, third spot, and then Interstellar number two and The Dark Knight at number one, And those were the Those were the two that I just kept swapping back and forth because I love Interstellar so much, but I just feel like The Dark Knight is just a just a more perfect movie. But it's so tough that all these movies are so great quality, you sir.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I have not seen prestige, yet I don't got why I didn't do that. I did every other episode of the retro and I can't remember the reason why.
Speaker 1: And it seems like your sister was in town. I think if I were, because when I was uploading them again this time, it's like, right, Dylan wasn't on this, and I won your opinion because it's such a such a good I feel like it shares a lot of similarities to this. There's a lot of characters in the Gray Area except about a bomb. It's about magic, right, and like the timeline, same thing. You get like a future like a present day, and it's like it's very That's why I was really digging it because like, Okay, I see where we're going here, so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I gotta watch that soon. That's that's definitely a big blind spot for me. And it's like, why have I just not seen one of his movies and it's one that you know, look at Kirklan's rank and it's very high up there. So I don't have that on here, So I only have eleven. Bottom for me is Dark Knight Rises. I also, I gotta say, like I have not rewatched probably like half of these I've probably only seen half of these like once, so it makes the ranking particularly interesting, and I'm gonna say just treat it makes it tricky.
Speaker 2: It makes it really hard to do.
Speaker 5: Or I feel very solid about like my top six five or six, but then after that it becomes kind of messy. So Dark Knight Rises I have in last place, and then a tenth I have following. Number nine is where I.
Speaker 2: Put Batman begins, and then at number eight.
Speaker 5: Is where I put Dunkirk, which I really should rewatch all of these, but I really need to rewatch Dunkirk it's been a while. Number seven is where I put in Saw Me, which honestly, when I was looking through his IMDb to like, okay, make sure I got all these movies on the list, I was like, fuck, I completely forgot that movie exists, which is I guess kind of fitting for what that movie is in a way. But also I still I still like, when I thought about it, I'm like, I think i'd still put it about all these other ones that I mentioned below it just because I don't know, there's elements that I really don't like about those other ones, whereas I feel like I just really enjoyed Insoma, even if it's somewhat forgettable. Tenant is where I put Tenant, I put at number six rather another one that needs to rewatch. For sure, I was gonna be sounding probably low for a lot of people. I'm gonna put The Dark Night at number five, and I put Memento at number four, so quite a lot higher than mister kirkle Patzer Oppenheimer.
Speaker 2: I put it number three, so very high for me right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm very curious to see how that goes on rewatches. I really only think that one's it's harder for it to go up because there's only two more spaces for it to go. But I feel like I'll just enjoy it more with each watch. But to be fair, a lot of these other ones, I'm sure I would as well. Interstellar at number two, which, yeah, I just rewatched that one recently, and that definitely solidified because I think that was still only the second time I've seen it, And yeah, I just I love space as a setting. That movie is so trippy and interesting and cool, and yeah, for me, number one, Inception, without a doubt, that's for me. That's the top ten favorite all time movie for me.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: So it's probably even top five. I love that movie so so much. Go back to the retro to hear why, but that movie.
Speaker 5: Is so special, so cool, so stylish, such a great concept, really fun, interesting characters, the soundtracks amazing. So yeah, that's just one of my all time favorites. I've seen it so many times and I'll always I'm always down to rewatch it, no matter what mood I'm in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don't forget that's a Golden Geek's Best of the Decade. Twenty twenty is best film. Remember that's what when the Golden Geek for the whole decade.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well deserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I got Insomnia last. So the reason I have there, I still I like all these movies. They're all honestly, they're all like eight and above on that scale. It's just that one feels the least like Nolan. He also didn't write it. It's also like a remake of a foreign film, so it's just like I'm missing some Nolan isms, and it's his first like big studio movies, so it feels very much like a make this to get to, you know, to a certain point. You know, he's working with Williams and he's working with the Cheeto and stuff, so I think it's kind of a test. Actually, remember we're on there. That was two thousand and two, right, so it comes after Memento. But still it just feels like that's like he does. Memento gets some traction, he gets insomnia, and because he handles it well, I like that's what gets the Batman begins. So it's like, okay, competent director, But yeah, I got and saw me there. Then I got done Kirk eleven ten, I got Falling, which is a fun like it's a it's very like baby Nolan, Like you can you can see Nolan there. It's like you didn't have the budget to do what he wants, but you can see isms that are gonna happen later. On number nine, I got Tenant, number eight, I got Momento, which is tough because all these I really like this was one. I go back and forth between Memento and Rises. They're very close. I think my only thing is Memento. I just never because I didn't get to be on that retro. I always at this point, I feel like the ending is very abruptive. We rushed to the ending very quickly. Rises, I have some issues, but there's just some enjoyment, kind of full circle stuff I like there. Number six is Interseellar, which, like I said this past time, I really liked watching. So I don't know if it'll go up in the top five. I got Oppenheimer there for now. I don't know if it can go up any more, maybe over four, which as Batman begins, it could because I think Oppenheimer's definitely a better movie, but I think it's just a great Batman origin. So that's where I'm kind of tough to a Batman guy. And much like Kirk you're talking about your one and two swapping, this is where I am for two and three is three is Prestige, and then two is Inception. Every time I watch Prestige, I'm like, oh, that's easily number two, And then I watch Inception, they go, oh, it's so I give Inception like the little bump over. But I feel like you ask me every day of the week and it changes because I love the character dynamic you talk about Oppenheimer. Hugh Jackman is probably one of my favorite examples of a character that's in the gray area. If you just don't know how to feel about this character at the end of the movie. And then number one is TDK. I love Dark Knight. It's the performance, is the scope. It was you know, we're gonna talk about another movie later on, you know, on the key for feed this to me was Nolan. Where you can see k there's Nolan the director, and then here's like I think, like, you don't get Inception unless you get The Dark Knight, because The Dark Knight was Okay, here's him on this huge scale, learning all these things, doing these things that Imax camera and then Sception you got to come and be like, Okay, I got everything down. And yeah, it's a still the still the greatest. It's tough. I love The Batman, but it's it's I still got it as my favorite. It's it's a joyous film. So del muss final thoughts on OPI.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I think that says it that I put it at number three on you know, out out of eleven for me because I'm missing Prestige. But yeah, i'd said, a really big surprise for me. Yeah, I did not expect to be coming away this hot, uh, And I'm very pleasantly surprised by it and very excited to rewatch it, especially even just knowing that how the black and white scenes are supposed to be used. You know, of course it's always up to the viewers interpretation, but to know what Nolan thinks of those scenes, I'm excited to rewatch this. I will definitely do so before Golden Geeks this year, probably maybe even a couple of times, even though it's long and intense. But yeah, I really really enjoyed this movie, really glad that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what else to say. I love it. Yeah, good to go, you tell it long.
Speaker 1: It's so excited to get Tator's review because bad movies, Oh it was long, like this is it is long. Yeah, if he doesn't like this movie, this is This is a real long one.
Speaker 2: This is I guarantee you that's what he'll say. Yeah, it's very long.
Speaker 1: You never know and a half or no, there's sometimes with some certain history. He's like a buff and so if he's really into this air, like the ball making, he's gonna be all over it. But I feel like I've never.
Speaker 4: Heard him about the bomb era making. Yeah, I've heard him talk about.
Speaker 1: But there's always stuff. But you remember, he just ramily became like a maple Leaze fans like, oh really, I've never heard you say the Shark.
Speaker 2: The Shark.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I gotta defend him here the Shark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a shark. But like just one days again, I love the Shark's my favorite team of all time. I watch every game. It's like I've never come over so you once a game on I cruised, It's always on the backgrounds like yeah, whatever, Then.
Speaker 4: He back pedals. Playoffs, playoffs, the last.
Speaker 1: Game I played in the video game. That's pretty much what it is. You know, he's watching those games. Current pass. What would you give this one? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I Like I said before, I feel like I just had such high expectations enjoyment wise, and unfortunately it just didn't quite didn't quite reach that. But that doesn't that that doesn't say anything against the quality of what the film is. I I do truly think that this is just like a ten out of ten quality of just just everything. It's so well done. But for my personal score, I feel like like it's it says like it feels weird not giving it like a perfect ten out of ten, because like that's what I see it as for quality purposes. But my enjoyment just isn't quite there. So probably like nine point five just just to be a little just just to be that guy. Yeah exactly, because like yeah, like if someone asked me how how great the movie is, it's just like, yeah, it's it's exceptionally well done.
Speaker 4: Uh not my favorite Olan movie, So I think I'll leave it it there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really really just long awaited to like it seems so long ago from when I first got that like teaser thing, you know, we're joking about like the countdown things.
Speaker 1: Take them that stupid video of a changing every hour like it's, hey, it works, walks up. But I just laughed, like I wonder if they'll do that again, because I can't wait to see what Nolan does next, because he's uh even just studio wise, I still think he's gonna do Bond. That's still my guess. I really feel he's even been talking about in Prescon like, oh it being an honor. I just feel like, you know, people see this, they see the success of Oppenheimer. He's a massive Bond fan. I feel like that's the plot.
Speaker 2: Time to go back to IP as well.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, Yeah, And it's like I think it's the one eyep because he said again it was weird. He said superhowed music? I said no. They asked what Star Wars films? He said no comment, which I found very surprising. Why wouldn't he just say no? So I don't know, but I don't think Disney's in the state to I wouldn't see that pairing. I could see Disney locking him down for an original movie. I would never see them locking him down for Star Wars. But Bond, I think is I think that that's my Traves told you prediction. We'll see if what happens.
Speaker 3: But I am happy to say the like it's not like I'm in that stage of being like, ah, yeah, no, I feel like Nolan's kind of done his best work. I still truly believe that that is possibly ahead, which is crazy just looking back on what he's done, and it's nice just seeing this and it's like, yeah, I'm still very excited for the next Nolan project. He's still my favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah back on top, Yeah no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good hand up there, same thing. Yeah, no, all my favorite guy. And he proved it again here. I've said what I need to said, got to give it the ten out of ten. I don't really have many critiques, maybe on another one, but I, uh yeah, this is definitely one that for golden geeks, Potama, but definitely for like when I get to Oscar season, this is what I got my like on right now. I really, I really hope this can get Nola on that big trophy. I think he does want you know, he's been close, and I think he's you know, again, this is the man because Dark Knight didn't get nominated. This is the guy that made it so the Oscars have ten movies because everyone's like, oh, we really should put in the Dark Knight and I was like, we kind of screwed up there. So it's like a full circle moment for me if he can get that. And I feel this is we talk about these performances and the legacy of the Oppenheimer, but he also with those spices of talking about chemistry and the bombs. He spices in those Nolan moments right of the grand scale and even sci fi stuff like you're talking about like when it's like the inside of a bomb and you see the particles. It's like You've need so many movies where they'll just talk about the bomb and you don't get that and they're scary. They'll be like Jesus are loud, and then you get the ball, you know. And again, I also feel like the best thing is it's Nolan's still doing some other things that he hasn't done before, or there's spins on things he's done before. That's the best thing when it's a director still doing a variation of his work. So yeah, definitely one of my favorites of the year. So yeah, great time. And I can't you know, can't wait see what no one does next every time, you know, I'm very happy about this.
Speaker 5: So I'm so curious, Like now, I'm actually excited to see where this ends up on like the Oscars stuff, and like, for the first time ever, I'm I'm like, man, they better win editing, like, which is something I never really care or think about, I guess, but I'm like, man, this was so well edited in particular that I hope it wins that I think it definitely in some of those other categories at the very least, but who knows well to see what the competition is.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yeah, I think picture. I think killing can actually get his first one, which would be great. But yeah, it'll be the big talking point in October because right now the big duels this and Marty's next film with Leo and Denaro, that's like the other one people have seen, like okay, look out, so it's gonna come down to those two in the Duke group. But yeah, couple then the Fall, talk about a bunch of stuff. Thank you very much for tuning into this. You know, not a full open higher review, but hit the two hour mark pretty much so close.
Speaker 4: The third act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we end right when he's at the flag. Yeah, like that's the act exactly. Yeah, because we got some good ratings there, a lot of people agree and everything. So yeah, thank you very much for tuning in. Check out the bar review and vice versa. Check everything else in the feed. Good week coming up, and we promise you will not be boring.
Speaker 4: Bye bye, I can't find my mouse.
Speaker 1: There is