Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This teen is really becoming a family. Let's not play one on too. Let's I love writing guys out to the show.
Speaker 3: Just thank you me, are your attention, your fire and this is world champion, Dodgers, world champion thing.
Speaker 1: It for a small soft time.
Speaker 4: They get a people what they want to die.
Speaker 5: To in a row two is special.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 6: One of a con This bold gone.
Speaker 7: You ready to go show old go to South, grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven Go to the show and now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodgers Talk on this fourth of July David Basse live at Dodgers Stadium. Yes, I went through and said I'll do the show tonight despite the astros. Be the Dodgers eighteen to one. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Jose Moto will join us at the top of the hour. We will share with you our pregame conversation with Clayton Kershaw, who is two days removed now from a big time milestone. One of the most memorable nights of a regular season game. I can remember two days ago with him recording his three thousandth career strikeout. We'll catch up with Kershaw two days later, see where his head's at, See if he's still on cloud nine after all the celebration and rightfully so. And later in the show, we'll share with you which Dodger hit three home runs on the fourth of July or former Dodger hit three home runs on the fourth of July. But tonight not a great night for the Dodgers. And look, the Dodgers have been blown out before this year, But why does it have to be again? The Houston Astros. You heard the way Dodgers Stadium welcome Jose Altuve with the booze from this sellout crowd. Nobody has forgotten twenty seventeen, including Kershaw, including Keith Gay Hernandez, including anybody that was on that Dodger team in twenty seventeen, Guys that are still playing, guys that have retired. They will never forget it, no matter how much the league wants you to try to forget what the Astros did in seventeen. When you see the Houston Astros in Los Angeles, or when the Dodgers play the Astros, or when the Yankees play the Astros. That is something that's not going to go away for a long time. And as long as Jose Altuve is still playing and wearing that Astro's uniform, he's going to get that type of reception at Dodgers Stadium. I'm not sure if he gets that in other ballparks, but he's gonna get it here at Dodger Stadium until he's done playing. The only problem is when you're chanting cheater and you're raining down booze and then the guy makes two incredible plays at second base and homers twice, it obviously is not working. So JOSEL two is a pretty good player three for three tonight with two home runs and five RBIs, and the Dodger Killer was back in a different uniform tonight. Christian Walker first game at Dodger Stadium as a Houston Astro, and he picked up where he left off playing for the Diamondbacks, going four for five tonight. He scored three times, he drove in four runs, and he homered for the sixth consecutive game at Dodgers Stadium. Walker now has twenty career home runs at Dodger Stadium. That's tied for the most by any active visiting player. Paul Goldschmidt also hit twenty home runs at dodd has hit twenty home runs at Dodger Stadium, and in his last six games, Walker is hitting five seventy seven with eight home and fifteen RBIs against the Dodgers. So yeah, there have been Dodger killers over the course of history. I can remember a guy by the name of Jim Eisenreich with the Phillies and Marlins. He was considered a Dodger killer in more than one ways because he was part of the Mike Piazza trade and he killed the Dodgers when he was playing in their uniform. He was that bad when he got traded to the Dodgers. So Christian Walker is certainly public enemy number one in baseball circles at Dodgers Stadium, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Ben Casparius not a.
Speaker 3: Great night, and I was relieved to hear Dave Roberts say they are going to move Ben Casparius back to the bullpen because Emma Sheehan is going to be back in the rotation. Tyler Glass now is going to be back in the rotation when the Dodgers are in Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: If you count out the days.
Speaker 3: One of the last two games in Milwaukee, Glass now is going to pitch. So that's the role Ben Casparius can thrive in. We saw it and then all of a sudden they had him coming in after Otani. They had him starting a game tonight. Ben Casparius, in my opinion, can be a closer for the Dodgers eventually. He has that type of mentality, He has that kind of stuff when he's in the bullpen. You know, the Dodgers were raving about how his stuff plays up when he's in the bullpen. So keep him in the bullpen as a high leverage reliever.
Speaker 4: That's who he is.
Speaker 3: But obviously injuries to the Dodger rotation in effectiveness by Landon Nak and Bobby Miller had put Ben Casparrius in this position. But relieved to hear that he's going back to the bullpen because that's where I believe he can have a great career as a high leverage reliever a lah Evan Phillips, And tonight it wasn't because he was starting that he gave up six runs in three innings. He was tipping his pitches. There's no doubt in my mind he was tipping his pitches again because he told me he was tipping his pitches when he got rocked by the Cubs as they beat the Dodgers that night here at Dodgers Stadium sixteen to nothing. If you go back or if you were watching those swings by the Astros, they knew exactly what was coming. Even oral hersheis are on the sports net LA broadcast said some of those breaking pitches on the outer part of the plate from right handed hitters good pitches, but they were taking very aggressive swings off of him.
Speaker 4: So I mean, there were.
Speaker 3: No trash cans involved and no hidden ear pieces. It was just Ben Caspari's tipping pitches. I'm curious whether or not. Ben admitted that after the game tonight, he spoke to the media on sports net LA.
Speaker 8: I think just execution in general. I think teams are starting a game plan obviously, little bit more knowing I'm going to go, you know, more than one or two in ins, and just you know, mixing up where my.
Speaker 4: Fastball location is.
Speaker 8: I think it's been kind of the telltale.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's what kind of led to them being so aggressive on the first page.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 8: I think part of it too is just they were kind of hunting me out over the plate. I think just a lack of going inside on writ He's has kind of gotten made to, you know, tough spots.
Speaker 3: And he's at least been learning experiences for you in which you can kind of now prepare for your next outing and kind of use it to make some adjustments.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 8: I mean it's still new at this level. For me, it's just kind of diving into the numbers and what it's working and what counts, and you know, maybe just being a little sharp.
Speaker 1: Run game planning adjust for other teams learning you and how does that process kind of work?
Speaker 8: For sure, I think it's a work in progress every single day. Obviously, you know, so this was a really righty Levey or righty heavy lineup, and obviously we're game planning kind of you know, going through the week, looking at who we who we have to face. So it kind of differs by week a little bit.
Speaker 6: Mark grabbing a long conversation after you're outing, just what kind of feedback or advice has he given you thus far?
Speaker 8: Yeah, just stay calm. A lot of it was just say we're gonna, you know, take a deep dive of what's going on, maybe tweak some things. I just really look at patterning and sequencing and interest to tell me to like stay calm and you know, keep doing my work.
Speaker 5: And everything like that.
Speaker 8: Well, you done to degree just because the results were what they were.
Speaker 4: Was there anything else?
Speaker 8: I'm not really sure.
Speaker 5: I think it was a result driven.
Speaker 3: All right, there's Ben Casparius after the game and obviously did not admit that he was tipping pitches, but hard to believe that he wasn't. And like I said, he's he's a really good pitcher. He's got testicular fortitude, which a lot of guys don't have these days. And that's why I believe that he will be excelling again in the Dodger bullpen. I mean, after tonight, you know, he's pitched fifty nine almost sixty innings, and a lot of that the majority of that as coming out of the bullpen. So I'm just looking forward to Ben getting back and settling into that role because that's where he's gonna be outstanding. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers lose to the Astros tonight, eighteen to one. The Dodgers lost a game in the standings to the San Diego Padres. J Croninworth walked the Padres off against the Rangers at Peco Park. Today, the Padres forty seven and forty eight games back of the Dodgers. The Sacramento A's beat the Giants eleven to two, so the Dodgers maintain a nine game lead over the San Francisco Giants. And just speaking of what's going on around the league, you know, the Dodgers haven't played every team this year, but I feel like we can all agree that. I know it wasn't a great night for Benka Sparius. I know it was in Blake's New or Kershaw or Glass Now on the Mountain Night for the Dodgers, but the Astros appear to be maybe the best team the Dodgers have played this year. In fact, I'm gonna say it, they are the best team they have played. And they had one of their worst starters on the Mountain night. And Lance McCullers Junior, who had over a sixty RA this year. I know he's coming back from a arm injury, but tomorrow the Dodgers have their hands full with their best starter, Lefty from Bervaldez. I mean, it's not gonna get any easier. And you look at this Astros lineup that put up eighteen runs tonight. They don't even have Jeremy Pania right now, and they haven't had their DH Jordan Alvarez, the former Dodger either this season for the majority of the season. So once they get those two guys back, this lineup is even deeper. And the plays Altube was making at second base, that's not even his everyday position anymore. He plays left field and second base these days. This is the best team the Dodgers have played this year, and I know they're catching the Astros at their hottest.
Speaker 4: Of the season. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: The Astros and the Dodgers are playing are the hottest teams in Major League Baseball. Houston now is fifty three and thirty five. That means they're just two games worse than the Dodgers in the lost column. The Dodgers are fifty six and thirty three. I know everybody is all over the Detroit Tigers, and yes, they've had a really good year. But I would venture to say right now, if you had to ask me who will be in the playoffs, who would be in the World Series, I would say the Dodgers and Astros.
Speaker 4: We may have a repeat.
Speaker 3: Of the twenty seventeen World Series this year in the Fall Classic. I would not be shocked to see Dodgers Astros in the World Series this year. Six seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. We have lines open on this fourth of July. We'll hear from Jose Mota, We'll share our conversation with Clayton Kershaw, and we'll let you know which former Dodger hit three home.
Speaker 4: Runs on the fourth of July.
Speaker 3: Tonight, Jose al two ve hit two at Dodger Stadium as the Astros run away with Game one of this weekend series eighteen to one on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network and five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: On air at AM.
Speaker 7: Five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports.
Speaker 9: Dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio apps.
Speaker 4: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan.
Speaker 9: Dodger's got a leadolf walk from Otani, but then Betts grounded into a double play, ultimately a twelve pitch first frame for mccolors. Facing the NL batting leader in Will Smith swings it, drives the ball left field and deep. This one's on the warning track at the wall. Come Will Smith cuts the Dodger deficit in half. It is now a two to one ballgame thanks to the twelfth home run from Will Smith, who is on some kind of power Serge.
Speaker 3: Will Smith, leading the National League and hitting hitting three point thirty this season. He homers for the sixth time in the last twelve games. Unfortunately, that was the only run the Dodgers scored. On the fourth of July this year. Eighteen to one, the Astros beat the Dodgers. It was the worst loss the Dodgers have suffered here at Dodgers Stadium in the franchise's history. Here in this ballpark, which opened in nineteen sixty two, eighteen to one. The final score here Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lasports dot com. The keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 4: Will Smith. What a season for him.
Speaker 3: Hitting three point thirty now, he has only struck out forty nine times and has walked forty two times. His on base percentage is the best in the National League as well, on base at a four to thirty three clip, twelve home runs forty five RBIs. I know cal Rawley's getting a lot of love for the power that he's showing this year, but if the game's on the line and there's a catcher that I need at the plate, it's gonna be Will Smith, in my opinion, the best hitting catcher in Major League Baseball this year. Despite Cal Ray having a great power year, certainly those two guys are head and shoulders above the rest as far as hitting catchers go. As far as this game goes, I know the Dodgers gave up ten runs in the sixth inning, but in my opinion, this game was over after the third inning when the Astros scored four in the top of the third. The Dodgers had a chance to keep it close. They were down six to one. They had bases loaded in two outs with ta Oscar Hernandez at the plate, and he grounded out up the middle. Altube made a great play going from the second base side of the bag over to the shortstop side of the bag to throw ta Oscar out. But you need to get that ball in the air, get a base hit at the very least, and Taoscar has been struggling since the beginning of the last road trip, and to me, that's where I knew after that the game was over. The way the Astros were swinging, the game was over right there. Ten runs scored in the sixth inning. That's the most runs the Dodgers have allowed in a single inning since nineteen ninety nine, when the Cardinals scored eleven runs in a third inning on April twenty third, nineteen ninety nine. That was the game that Fernando Tattis Senior hit two Grand Slams in the same inning. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number coming up. In fifteen minutes, you'll hear from Clayton Kershaw. Before we check in with Jose Mota, let's go out to the phones Ian in Encinitas. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 10: Hi en, Hey Dave, thanks for taking my call. This is kind of a I told you a screener. This is kind of a random question in light of what happened tonight. I don't really want to talk about tonight. But back in June, I went with my daughter. It was kind of a post Father's Day thing. We went to that Padres game. I think it was a Thursday night. We were down five nothing heading into the ninth. I went to the four plus one game, so I know things can happen. But before the game, we took the pregame tour. And when you're down in that corridor and they've got all the gold gloves and the silver sluggers, I look down and I noticed that Trake Nurse silver slugger from twenty two. On the plaque, it said Trae. It misspelled his name. Now, the guide said that these were replicas, but I had never heard that. And I'm wondering if you had ever heard that that, Because in Dodger Stadium his Silver Slugger Award. Is first name is misspelled?
Speaker 3: What do you think I've never I've never had a chance to really take the time to stop and look at every single back down there. I usually look at those MVPs more than anything else down there. But yeah, you brought it to everybody's attention now, so I'm sure they'll make that correction.
Speaker 10: Well, I don't know. I just wondered if it was something that was public knowledge or anyways. I figured tonight was a game to ask a random question, So thanks for taking that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no worries.
Speaker 3: It is public knowledge since the public is able to see it, but maybe nobody else caught it besides Ian and Encinitas.
Speaker 2: All right, TV late, all right, Ian, thanks.
Speaker 3: A lot for the phone call. Yeah, Trey t r e A. That's how you spell it? Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number?
Speaker 4: How do you spell Mota? With Jose? Let's check in with Jose. It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: Jose Mota joins us on this for the July man Ugly Night. Jose, are there any doubts that benk Caspirius was tipping his pitches tonight.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any doubt. And you know, and he spoke with you. He told me about what happened against the Cubs. And if you make ajustice with your hands where you put him, and then with your glove, sometimes guys goes a different glove, a little bit bigger, a little bit smaller. The Astros and Alex sing Tron through the years has been one of the best looking at what he can beat you. And if he sees something that just doesn't look natural, if you made an adjustment on your glove or your hand position, or how you curl your arm or your wrists, he's gonna find it. And the way they take pitches, the way they hung the pitches, all the rockets that were hit early in the game just tell you that if he hadn't located better, things are different. There's no doubt. But he was not able to locate because they've just and I gave him a chance to get to bost counts.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers have had Cospiras do a lot of different things this year. Any doubt that he can go back to his old role Jose and thrive the way he was before he was doing so many different things.
Speaker 2: I have every confidence in the world that he will go back to that role and be good. He's a smart kid. He knows exactly what he wants to do with the baseball. His stuff is really good. And you and I have talked about this too, Like he goes out there and just gets outs. It's not happening right now. We saw it happened in Kansas City when he wasn't fearing very well.
Speaker 5: But at this.
Speaker 2: Time, his best role for for this team is exactly that. It's a long man out of the bull who could have go out there and get some people out and save you and get some wins for you and keep a score where it needs to be. You know, the starting thing is it's it's one where he didn't really get a fair share of saying you be a star. But he's coming on behind. You know, somebody with an opener never gets to let Routino being a starter, which she has done throughout his whole career and his life. But there's a different monster now, and certainly when the league gets to know you a little bit better, it's time to make adjustice. Don't change, make adjustments and know that no matter what, you cannot make your pitches better, but you have to make better pitches.
Speaker 4: Jose Mota is joining us on fourth of July.
Speaker 3: After the Astros blow out the Dodgers tonight eighteen to one, the only highlight for the Dodgers tonight was Will Smith, not only the home run in the second inning, but Rick Monday and Steven Nelson were raving about the fact that he didn't give away his last at bat in the eighth inning, where he got a base hit in an eighteen to one game. I mean, that just shows you what that guy's about as a catcher.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, oh, I mean the maturity level and the fact that he does not throw away at bats. With all the prowels and all the talk about guys at walk a lot like once this guy was leading and still leaving the National League a non base percentage, and he's not a guy that willok for a walk. He is out there trying to swing the bat and do damage. But he's such a great at bat. And I spent a lot of time today on the other side talking to some Houston Astros members and they were talking about Will Smith the at bat and guys are like shaking their head going this guy's a catcher. He still had up to this homestead the fourth most inning's caught in the National League. Even though he's being managed a little bit differently. He does not have the ability or even the luxury, let's say, being at DH when he needs some rest and he goes out there and calls a game. And then on top of that, it's still at an offensive force right now. So what they're doing around with him is exactly perfect in terms of a low management and all that. He is an All Star by voute, which he deserves. But I mean, the guys with the asses were raving about the at bat like quote unquote, yeah, bad that he is because he can do so many things with the power. He can spoil the pitches he'll take his walks, and also the ability to be cluster because he stays calm, and really the ability to just load the game down when the game's on the line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's one.
Speaker 3: Ever since he got called up in twenty nineteen on walk off weekend, we were put on notice he's a clutch hitter, and that's continued. He's one of the best hitters not only with runners in scoring position, but also two outs and rather runs in scoring position.
Speaker 2: And on top of those great points you make is the fact that he hasn't changed who he is because the games has evolved and long tangles and things like that, he's stayed the same.
Speaker 5: Known that.
Speaker 2: Of course, he's sent to a long term deal, so he's secure in that athlete that he wants to get better. I mean, he wants to get better and be a very important piece of the offense, and he can do it in so many ways. I mean with Max, He's absence, you know, Max Monsky's absence. He's a guy that's going to take a walk in prolong innings. He's going to be a guy that other hitters look up to to see how they're pitching to him, to what kind of a prosentee to have from the index circle on. So he brings a lot to the table. Doesn't grab the attention, as he mentions other guys right now, but boy, he grubs the attention of many guys around the league with a lot of respect because of we is all right.
Speaker 3: Jose, we'll talk to you tomorrow after Otani pitches. We'll see how it goes offensively for him as well, because it hasn't looked the same when he's pitched so far, So we'll see how it looks tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hope that he remembers what he's done against probabald Is and the history they have. But for sure is showtime tomorrow, and I'll hopefully show he will keep it simple himself.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, thanks a lot, happy for it to July be safe, but I know just there he goes. Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Pep Bee and Ningez and Luis Cruz.
Speaker 4: Eight six six.
Speaker 3: Nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number on the topic of Will Smith. Before the game, Nomar and I were watching batting practice, and I do a lot of listening when I'm standing next to Nome and we're watching the Dodgers take batting practice, and he was just really complimenting Will Smith and his hands and just how quick his hands are and just how good of a hitter he has gone back to being. So uh, that's a high praise from a two time batting champion. And look, if a Dodger's ever struggling, not many teams have a guy like Nomar who was basically a hitting savant at their disposal. Over the years, not a lot of guys have taken advantage of that. I would if I was a guy that wanted to fix something or get back on track. You got the guy right there, and he's not a coach, so he's not going to approach you. He's waiting for you to approach him if you want any of his knowledge. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Astros tonight, eighteen to one. Let's go out to Eric in Hall. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 4: Eric Dodger.
Speaker 5: Great, sure, Wow?
Speaker 11: Did it happy for to you?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 11: I know you're working out there. You're going to get home to your family, so you probably missed the barbecue. But man, this game blowed.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 11: I did not love seeing this game at all. I mean, the asterisks, the trash Ros just winding in our house just just leaves a really bad thing in my in my stomach, you know what I mean. And we had here we walk.
Speaker 4: Around the stadium.
Speaker 3: I took a walk around the stadium when that sixth inning was going on. I walked all the way to the top of the reserve down the left field line.
Speaker 4: That's how frustrated I was with.
Speaker 3: Not a blowout Eric, but a blowout to the Astros. I mean, come on, don't do that to us.
Speaker 11: Oh, dB, I mean, I'm with you, man, I mean I didn't like it, but I mean we're bullpenning it, you know, and I get it. I mean, Glass, Glass and Blake need to come back, man, we need to him that strong. And you know, hopefully there's a fire sail over there in Atlanta, like you've been saying, Man, we could get Chris on board, man, But uh, you know, a shout out to May Man. I just want to give him a shout out. May withold switch fiery the other night, and I hope he I hope that lasts for the next couple of starts.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: I love seeing May like that, and uh, first and foremost, Man, I know it's been a couple of days, but I cannot say this enough, dude, kersh was absolutely incredible.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 11: I almost shed a tear.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: I've seen a bunch of stuff on him online and just it's just really great. All all three thousand were with us, man, but uh, oh dde, I just can't I'm going to try. I'm going to try to forget this game. Actually I already forgot this game, like I forgot the asterisk in the tracks.
Speaker 4: It never happened. It never happened. It never happened. Twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: It did happen, though it did happen. And that's why that's a paper champion over there. Thanks for the phone call, Eric appreciated. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Dot fall to the Astros tonight eighteen to one and Jose Altuve hit.
Speaker 4: Two home runs tonight.
Speaker 3: See a lot of people thought I was gonna come on the show and just lose my mind, just completely melt down, have a nervous breakdown. No, I am above that. I am not going to do that. I have not going I have not done that. It's just a little, uh, a little frustrating.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The Dodger fans came out, sell out crowd fourth of July. They booed Altuve when he was introduced, they booed him when he came to the plate. They chanted cheater when he was coming to the plate, and he shut this crowd up. I mean, that's what the really good ones do. Three for three with two home runs. Tonight, let's go out to North Hills. Scott, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 4: Scott.
Speaker 6: Oh, well, you, Dave. It's just a real pleasure to talk to you. You got a little fan club out here in the A one A. We just love the work you do.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: I agree that it's gonna Sure, it's going to be an Astro Dodger World Series, and there's something about paybacks I've heard of saying about it. But my question to you is this, brother, if all the pitchers are healthy that are coming back, now, I see Otani pitching in that World series naturally, Yamamoto a healthy smell zillah. I guess now at that point I have trouble believing Kersh would not be the fourth And in that scenario, again all based on everybody's health, do you think Glassno could do some good work out of a bullpen? And if you have another few seconds when you answer this, I have one other thing, and if not, it's okay too. I really appreciate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, glassnow would not be coming out of the bullpen. I mean he is a starter, and if he's healthy, everybody says he has the nastiest stuff out there.
Speaker 4: So that's right.
Speaker 3: It would be off the top of my head if these guys are all healthy, Snell, Glass, now, Yamamoto and Otani, And where does Kershaw fit into all that?
Speaker 4: That still remains to be seen.
Speaker 3: Mike Borzello actually the guy that was with Kershaw back in nine I believe when.
Speaker 4: He discovered his slider.
Speaker 3: He was on Joe Torrey's staff going back to the Yankees, and he was telling me a story. Back in two thousand, David Cohne was in the twilight of his career. Joe Tory very loyal to his players, especially the great ones like David Khane, and a lot of teams probably wouldn't have put David Khane on their World Series roster, but Joe Tory did, and he put him in the bullpen to face one right handed hitter in that world series that was the Subway Series Yankees Mets. David Cohne came out of the bullpen to face Mike Piazza and struck him out. That was the only batter David own faced in that two thousand World Series. So there could be a scenario where Kershaw's not starting a game, but is a big part of coming in and facing one left hand or I don't know, I don't know where Otani's going to be. Maybe Otani goes the first three innings and Kershaw comes in after him. Those are the scenarios I've played out in July, and if you have.
Speaker 1: Just a few seconds, I saw an interview Willie Mays was interviewed by Bob Costas.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure you saw this, but either way.
Speaker 1: Willie Mays is talking about the best catch he's ever made, and it certainly wasn't a Vic Wirtz catch. And they show this and it's out there to right center, and naturally it's shaded more to Rice field. I don't know if the baby bull was out there. I'm just not sure who was out there. And you see him closing on the ball. It's only the Rice fielder. And at the last second, Willie May's hurtling into the picture, going airborne, and he makes the catch. And Willie May said he thought that was the best catch he had ever made. If I could just hear you on that, it'd be tremendous.
Speaker 4: Well, I know the catch that you're talking about. There's not video of it.
Speaker 3: I don't believe because if we're talking about the catch, all right, so I guess there is video out there. I don't know if it was that catch or another one, but Vin Scully told me once, and I think he shared it on his broadcast a few times. But that catch that you're talking about, where we see it's the famous one over the shoulder catch. Vin Scully told me that wasn't the best catch he ever made, and he described a place similar to the one that you're talking about. So maybe we're talking about the same one. But if Vin Scully validates it, you know it's it's true.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 1: Stun, Thank you so much, man, Thank you.
Speaker 4: No problem. Be safe.
Speaker 3: On fourth of July, all right, I had a chance to catch up with Clayton Kershaw. We're gonna share that conversation with you in a moment, but I promise to share with you which former Dodger hit three home runs on fourth of July today, and that was good guy Michael Bush, who is playing first base for the Cubs these days. Obviously Freddie Freeman's at first there's not a spot for him. But Michael Bush today on fourth of July at Wrigley Field. Hit three home runs against the Saint Louis Cardinals in a Cubs eleven to three win today.
Speaker 4: Here was the third one thanks to Cubs Radio.
Speaker 9: Wonning it in the game.
Speaker 4: Did drive to left? This boss?
Speaker 11: Got a chance?
Speaker 3: Gone number three from Michael Bush.
Speaker 4: Oh there's a field this time. That's a career high from Michael.
Speaker 3: What a day he is having, What a day, What a season for Michael Bush, who certainly has found a home in Chicago and couldn't be happier for him. A great guy and certainly a really good hitter. Four for four today for the Cubs, five RBIs against division rivals Saint Louis eleven to three. The Cubs beat the Cardinals hitting eight home runs. Harvard Westlake Zone Picro Armstrong also hit two home runs today. So between Michael Bush and PCA, they combined to hit five home runs against the Cardinals at Wrigley Field.
Speaker 4: And that was the Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: Pat Hughes on the call for the Cubs radio broadcast. So congratulations to Michael Bush a great fourth of July and being part of an eight homer day for the Cubs at Wrigley all Right, Speaking of the Hall of Fame Clayton Kershaw will be there one day whenever he decides to hang him up. And he is two days removed now out of reaching three thousand strikeouts in his career.
Speaker 4: We caught up with Kershaw earlier today, two days later.
Speaker 3: Now, you've been celebrated so much around baseball in LA. How does it feel after you've been able to get through all that?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's so special.
Speaker 12: I mean I think that night, you know, obviously I'd like to have given up a few less runs and strike out the guy a little sooner, But you know, looking back on the whole night and everything that happened, it was so special, such a great night for my family, for me, and you know, obviously the fans reaction that whole night and just how they you know, you kind of just felt the tension that they had for me to figure this thing out and for get a strikeout finally, So just wouldn't have changed it for the world, just to blast so grateful for the night, And you know, I think you're slowly starting to move on get past it and try to look forward to facing the Brewers and get that three thousand and first one.
Speaker 3: You don't really show any sort of self importance. Were you surprised by how much the fan cared about you reaching that milestone?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 12: I mean I think, you know, from even just the warm ups before the game to you know, running back out for the sixth inning.
Speaker 5: There it was. It was definitely more than I expected. It was.
Speaker 12: It was a very unique experience. It was awesome, awesome.
Speaker 3: I was doing Dodger talk upstairs while you came out after the game and the grounds crew started to dig up the pitching rubber. Was that on your request or did they do that as a gift to you?
Speaker 12: No, I didn't know they were doing that, So yeah, really nice of Jordan and all the guys to dig that up for me, and thanks heavy man. It's it's it's no small feet to get that thing out.
Speaker 5: It said.
Speaker 12: It took them five hours the next day to put the next one down, So labor of love for sure, but thankful to have it.
Speaker 5: That's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: What do you do with the pitching rubber? Where were you put that in the trophy case?
Speaker 12: Great question. I'm not sure yet. I don't know, but it's a great story, so I'll keep it somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Clayton Kershaw is our guest on fourth of July. You know, Clayton, when you look at this team, you guys have the best record again by two games over the Tigers. Do you feel like there's a lot more room to go as far as playing your best baseball?
Speaker 12: You know, I think it's probably twofold. I think we are playing good baseball right now, I really do. You know, we're winning games we're supposed to. We're getting great comebacks, playing like clean baseball.
Speaker 5: You know, starters are getting some.
Speaker 12: Length into the games, and so it kind of sets up the bullpen to do their role as well.
Speaker 5: And guys are getting big hits.
Speaker 12: But to your point, I mean, I think when we get some more guys back, you know, obviously months going down for you know, the six weeks or whatever is a tough blow.
Speaker 5: But you know, when when.
Speaker 12: Snell's back, when glasses back, when Trina's back, and get that pitching staff to one hundred percent or close to it, it's, uh, we should be able to keep winning games. And that's uh, that's an exciting thing to think about.
Speaker 4: The bullpen has already pitched those innings.
Speaker 3: Is there any way to compensate in the second half for the load they have shouldered the first half.
Speaker 12: Yes, and no, I mean I think, you know, I think with the opener situation, the bullpen innings get skewed a little bit, right because the bullpen, you know, the bulk guys are getting five or six six innings.
Speaker 5: That looks like it's the bullpen innings.
Speaker 12: But you know, the guys that have been healthy for the whole year, like Tanner vest some of these guys, uh Jack and Benny, some of the guys that have had big workloads. I think, I think there's ways to manage it. And but no, I mean, at the end of the day, they're gonna throw in big situations because those are our guys. It's just a matter of you know, getting a little more consistency in the starting rotation. And I think you're starting to see that too. I think guys are going, you know, six seven innings recently, which has been nice. And that's the biggest way to reset the pen. It's just for the guys to get a little bit deeper in the games.
Speaker 3: How much do we take for granted this offense best in baseball, but it still feels like there might be a little bit more which is kind of scary.
Speaker 12: Yeah, best, I think you said it the right way. I think there's a there's room for let me say it this way. Our offense is doing well and everybody swung the bat well at time, but I don't know if everybody swung the bat well at the same time. So once that happens, that's a scary thing. And that's hard to do throughout the rhythms of a season to have everybody swinging the bats well at the same time. But you know, once once everybody gets going, which you know they will, it's a scary thing to think about.
Speaker 3: You've taken a lot of pride out of being consistent in your career. How much do we take for granted how consistent Freddie Freeman has been for the Dodgers, not only this year but in his career. Does he get lost in the shuffle because he's so consistent?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Maybe so.
Speaker 12: I mean I think you know, at the beginning of the season, you know, you pencil Freddy in at first base every day and say, oh, he's going to hit three hundred, is ops is going to be nine hundred, He's going to do all this play every day, and you just kind of pencil that in and expect it, like you don't realize that that elite level of play.
Speaker 5: Is not easy to do every day.
Speaker 12: So yeah, I mean I think I think you expected out of Freddy, And that's why the expectations make it seem that, like, hey, this is just kind of home home what he does. But for him to continue to do it at the level that he is.
Speaker 5: It's an elite thing.
Speaker 12: It's a special thing that very few people can do in the game, and so it's nice to have.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 3: Since he was counting down to three thousand for you, can I be your sirrah No here to help you count down as far as doubles go, because he's climbed a lot of Hall of Famers this year and he's just four away from passing lou Garrick for the forty second most doubles in baseball history. Should I feed you the doubles stats as we go through the season.
Speaker 12: And if we start playing that game with hits and doubles with Freddie, we might be doing that every day with something. So it's just a testament to him. But that's a big name. Lou gerrik Go's special.
Speaker 4: Clayton Kershaw's our guest.
Speaker 3: Before I let you go, I wanted to ask you, were you surprised by any text you got from one person congratulating you.
Speaker 12: So many people reached out, which I was so thankful for. You know, obviously getting the guys from the current three thousand, you know, Sures and JV both reached out to say congrats, which I thought was was super cool. You know, obviously we've kind of I wouldn't say grow up together, but we've been in the big leagues kind of the same times, and so, you know, us three, I finally get to join their club with the three thousand strikeouts was awesome. So those guys a lot of friends and family, but it was everybody that reached out. It was just it was really cool to see everybody so happy for me. I was very thankful for all of it.
Speaker 3: Do you remember how how big the number was on the phone of text after the game.
Speaker 12: I don't know, it sounds I don't know, it sounds weird, but there was a lot.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was over five hundred, no, no, over three thousand.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, but it was awesome. Awesome.
Speaker 3: Hey, Clayton, it's been a pleasure to be with you. For fourteen fourth of July's and just see how much work you put in. I feel like that's the reason why everybody was so happy for you, because you respect the game, You put in so much work, and you treat everybody really well. So you even treat slubs like me pretty well on the rate. Yea, So thank you well.
Speaker 12: You forced me to do this one today, so I had no choice, all right, Happy for to day.
Speaker 3: There he is, mister three thousand Clayton Kershaw. Great to catch up with him, and man, I've been talking to him virtually every week on the show these days. But certainly relevant and certainly a guy that one day will be in Cooperstown and doesn't take himself too seriously at this point in time. It was interesting because six seven years ago, Clayton Kershaw would not have done that reflective interview. He would have been onto the next opponent. But he is enjoying the moment more than I've ever seen him enjoy before, including the night that he reached his three thousand strikeout, saluting the crowd, going out for his pregame warmups and then allowing the game to be stopped and really take it all in. That just shows you where he's at in his career, and there's no guarantees that he'll be back next year, so it feels like he's in join the moments more than he ever has before and rightfully so great to see Clayton out here with his wife and kids for the Fourth of July fireworks as well. That'll do it for us Tonight on Dodger Talk. You can find the Kershaw interview on our iHeartRadio at that's also where you can find all the Dodger Talk shows. You can follow me on Instagram at official evass and on x at the Real Underscore DV. Tomorrow it will be from Bervaldez on the Mound for the Astros. He's nine to four with an ERA of two seventy two. Show Hey Otani will be starting for the fourth time this year. He's expected to go two innings tomorrow and maybe Justin Robleski follows him.
Speaker 4: We'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 3: Since Casparius pitch tonight, Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck begins at three o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at four fifteen. Thanks to calling me back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. We will talk to you tomorrow from Dodgers Stadium. I am certain the score will be much more competitive. Tonight, the Astros blow out the Dodgers eighteen to one. Be safe out there, Happy Fourth of July see them