Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Maybe you didn't know that Gary's dog, Peter, did not believe in.
Speaker 2: The Bible, or he believed in it so much.
Speaker 1: Oh, he believed in it so much. He wanted it inside.
Speaker 2: He wanted the word wow in him.
Speaker 3: That's really deep. Based on what I've seen in his eyes, that's not the case.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, no, what what do you think he wanted with the yoga block, He also wanted the yoga He felt so strongly about yoga, he wanted it inside as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just think it was a funny texture in his mouth, more more so than the Bible.
Speaker 1: We've got another crazy RFK junior story. We know about the bear carcass, the whale carcass. Now, Caroline Kennedy is uh his cousins, as you all know, and she has this anecdote that he enjoyed showing off how he put baby chickens and mice in a blender to feed his hawks. She says it was a perverse scene of despair and violence. And to that, I say, Caroline, that's awful. That's awful. I would not have liked to see that. But you had to come to the party before the beer. The bear carcass and the whale carcass, and the blood raining down inside into his children's mouths inside the car. That stuff was that they took the cake. The bear and the whale took the cake. The baby chickens and the mice. Very disturbing, but not on par with the bear and the whale.
Speaker 3: She said, it's no surprise that he keeps birds of prey as pets because he himself is a predator.
Speaker 1: Okay, got a lot of problems in that family, a lot of problems. No money, no problem.
Speaker 3: His confirmation, by the way, is Thursday. He can only afford to lose three Republican votes. We already know Bill Cassidy and Mitch McConnell have expressed concerns.
Speaker 2: They haven't come out right and said no.
Speaker 3: And an op piece in the New York Post, which is traditionally pretty conservative and lately has been going basically along with everything that Trump wants. There's an op ed piece asking senators to deny him the ability to become the Secretary of Health.
Speaker 2: And Human services.
Speaker 1: Well is that because of the abortion thing?
Speaker 2: Very much?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, what else is going on?
Speaker 2: Time four? What's happening?
Speaker 1: Well, the eping is.
Speaker 5: Water damage, fire damage merglery called public adjuster abner gap eight one eight nine one seven, five two five six.
Speaker 1: The LA Fire Department is not going away and they shouldn't well, I mean in terms of their argument that they are underpaid and understaffed. I mean the different states of dilapidation have been publicized of fire stations in Los Angeles, the funding cuts, the staff, and all of it has been out there since these fires are ravaged through the Palisades, even as Altadina fires continue to burn as well. This is going to be something that is a focus at city Hall for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: This is a thing that I think might come as a result of this cleaning out lifelong politicians in local politics, cleaning them out.
Speaker 1: That clean out all the crooks who know how to steal money from the public coffers. They are practicing it, they are learned in it, they were apprentices in it, and now they are masters at it, stealing money instead of staffing fire departments to where they should be staffed. They're stealing your money to do with whatever they want to do with it so that they can get their back scratched on the back end.
Speaker 2: And here's the unfortunate part about that.
Speaker 3: As much as I support what we're talking about and cleaning out, there are some people in politics who are good hearted people who are going to suffer the consequences below.
Speaker 1: Need no. I almost said the full word, you mean, you show me a good person in government in LA right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm saying that there's got to be somebody and untedward.
Speaker 1: Somebody who's not ding around with the public money, still bright eyed and bushy tailed, and yeah, find me that person and bring them to me.
Speaker 3: Metrolink had to temporarily hald service on three lines. LADWP crews were working to clear some lines because they had fallen onto the tracks. They said they were unable to release all the tracks at this time. But so if you're the track is also impacting the Amtrak Pacific surf Liner service and affecting Union Pacific freight movement as well.
Speaker 1: The doomsday clock, the clock that means not means nothing, moves closer to midnight. Climate change, nuclear war, pandemics AI We're all screwed, and we're close to completely screwed, more close than usual. We have the doomstay clock moving closer to completely screwed every year, do we not? Eighty nine seconds till completely screwed is the latest count?
Speaker 3: Has it ever gone the other way? I don't think I've ever done a story where he.
Speaker 1: Is really into the doomsday clock. Was Ken Champeau. He really kept tabs on that doomsday clock ever since he left. I have no idea we could be hurtling towards disaster.
Speaker 3: I saw this story today on Twitter and it said Melissa McCarthy is going to get her oscar when she plays this character. An elementary school principle has been arrested after throwing a huge house party with over one hundred kids. Now they're not elementary school kids, apparently at least not all of them, but Cocoa Beach Police Department responded to a home after reports of a huge house party. They found over one hundred kids at the residence in matching T shirts, many of whom were consuming alcohol that was later learned to be available in coolers at the residence. The homeowner, identified as a with Hill Bradigan. The principle of a nearby elementary school. When officers showed up, one of the juveniles was located on the front lawn experiencing an alcohol related medical events. Alcohol poisoning juvenile was so heavily intoxicated that fire rescue had to respond to treat them. Another intoxicated adult, female, is a teacher at that same elementary school, was also at that party. She has been arrested on charges of child neglect, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and holding an open house party. They have not yet made a statement when we come back Artificial intelligence. I asked AI to write a holiday radio play for us.
Speaker 2: It never made the air until today.
Speaker 1: We were talking about AI all in the news this week because of China's AI company Deep Seak, who says, needs your fancy expensive computer chips that the prior administration said your companies were not allowed to give us. No, We've found cheaper chips that do it just as well. That has sent markets all over the place this week in terms of the Nasdaq and S and P five hundred.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: President Trump says, hey, it's a wake up call. Do better US companies if they can do it for cheaper. We can do it for cheaper, let's go.
Speaker 3: So I thought, what do people use AI for? People called in and let us know. And I thought back to the last time I tried to use chat GPT, which was to write a holiday radio play for us.
Speaker 2: And this is the cheaper, This is the cheaper, this is the this is the awful version that.
Speaker 1: Ai China's program I wish I would have.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what the prompt was. It was something about I wanted it to be a radio play, a positive Christmas story, holiday story, and that there would be six characters in it. Something like that. It was four acts and so and so and such and so.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cold read this thing. I have not even taken a look at it.
Speaker 2: Keana, what were you gonna say?
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, you added like the response it says before it gave you all the lists, and it says sure. Below is a four act Christmas themed radio play designed to be performed by six actors, with each act running approximately eight minutes. The play is set in a small town with elements of holiday magic, a bit of mystery, and a heartwarming conclusion.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not sure we're gonna get all the way through Thiscoho not going to be It's called The Christmas Wish. It's written by Ai. I'm gonna play Charlie, a disillusioned, down to earth man in his thirties who works at a local diner.
Speaker 1: I will be Maggie, a spirited, optimistic woman in her late twenties who runs the local toy shop.
Speaker 2: Jacob's gonna play Sam. Jacob. You want to read his description? Oh yes, sorry?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, a microphone not on screens on screen.
Speaker 5: From the older man in his sixties who lives alone and has a secret past.
Speaker 2: Keana plays Evelyn, a cheery.
Speaker 6: Elderly woman in her seventies who loves Christmas.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Shell is the narrator, a voice that provides exposition and atmosphere, and.
Speaker 2: Oscar is the voice of Santa.
Speaker 7: A magical, deep voice that occasionally speaks during the moments of Christmas magic.
Speaker 2: Oh God, that's how early view you Occasionally.
Speaker 3: Soft wind blows to open Act one, called The Old Wish.
Speaker 4: It's Christmas Eve in the little town of winter Vale. The streets are dusted with snow and the air smells like pine and cinema in a town square the lights twinkle on the big tree and the sound of carollers fills the air. But not everyone is feeling the Christmas spirit this year.
Speaker 3: That's supposed to be a diner Merry Christmas, I guess or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, Charlie, it's Christmas Eve. You should be more excited. You've been working the shift for hours. Why not take a break, hot coke, go on the house.
Speaker 2: I'm fine, I'm just tired. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Christmas doesn't feel the same anymore. When you grow up. All that magic just kind of disappears.
Speaker 1: I get it, but sometimes you just have to believe in it for a little while, even when you're not sure. Why.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, I'll take a coffee black. No, I'm sorry, sorry, Okay.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're stepping on people. God help those adults did.
Speaker 2: It for sound effect?
Speaker 1: Lord?
Speaker 2: I'll take a coffee black, no frills, of course.
Speaker 1: Sam. You know, Charlie here could use a little of your grumpy magic. Maybe it'll rub off on him, make him stop moping about the holiday.
Speaker 5: Christmas haven't really had a real Christmas in years. Too many memories, kid, too many.
Speaker 4: Sam was a man of few words, but those few words were enough to make the others pause. There was something about him, something that didn't quite fit in with the festive cheer that surrounded Wintervale. Some thought he was just a grumpy old man, but others, well, they wondered if there was more to his story.
Speaker 2: Outside.
Speaker 4: Something magical was about to happen. A single star appeared in the sky above winter Vale, brighter than any other, twinkling with a secret.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, first of all, that's supposed to be Act one. It was supposed to be eight minutes long. That was about ninety second.
Speaker 1: You guys, I'm in on this story, like I love Sam, like I'm in on these characters. Like, let's go with this all.
Speaker 3: Right, here's act too, the Secret Santa.
Speaker 4: The night deepens, and a strange chill fills the air. No one knows it yet, but something someone is about to visit winter Vile, someone extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Did you hear that? What was that? Santa? Was that Santa?
Speaker 2: Santa? Maggie?
Speaker 3: Come on, you're not still trying to make me believe in fairy tales, are you?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: There's something about this time of year, you know, and just a little bit of magic in the air foosteps.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's magic, after.
Speaker 8: I'm you're couldna have to find yourself, and you might just find it right here in the heart of winter Vail. Sometimes it's not the gifts under the tree that matter, it's the wishes we made.
Speaker 2: Wishes.
Speaker 3: I'm not so sure. The last time I made a wish, it didn't turn out so well.
Speaker 2: Wishes don't mean much, kid, trust me, they come, they go. Life's not a fairy tale.
Speaker 4: But just as Sam spoke, there was a sudden rustling in the air, a flurry of snowflakes swirling in a pattern that made the others paws and look up. And then out of the snow, a voice, deep and warm, filled the air.
Speaker 7: Oh oh, it's not always about what you see, but what you believe, my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, uh. Act three. There was less than a minute the wish revealed.
Speaker 4: The next day, Christmas morning arrived in a quiet and unexpected way. The town square was covered in fresh snow, and the sound of children's laughter echoed through the streets. But one thing stood out. The people of winter Vile, with hearts full of wonder, were about to unco or something they never expected.
Speaker 1: Charlie, Look, it's a gift just for you.
Speaker 2: What this is this is crazy. Who would leave this? Here?
Speaker 4: In front of Charlie's diner, Beneath the old oak tree was a gift wrapped in sparkling red paper, tied with a golden boat.
Speaker 2: I don't know about this. Something feels off. I knew it. Someone's trying to pull a fast one. Nothing's free.
Speaker 6: Sometimes the best gifts don't have a price. They're simply meant to remind us that miracles do happen even when we least expect.
Speaker 1: Come on, Charlie, open it.
Speaker 2: It's a It's a picture of my mom and me from when I was a kid.
Speaker 6: But how some wishes are answered in ways we can't understand at first, But they come when we're ready to believe again.
Speaker 4: And just as they all stood there puzzled, the wind picked up and another voice echoed through the square.
Speaker 7: The true magic of Christmases and in the gifts. It's in the hearts we touch, the men we cherish, and the love we give.
Speaker 3: Music it's the wrong music. I'm working off a shoe string budget.
Speaker 4: Here. The day continued, and winter Vale was brighter than ever before. The magic that had touched the town was not just a momentary thing. It was something that lingered in the hearts of its people who had rediscovered the wonder of the holiday season.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe there's something to this Christmas magic after all. Maybe it's not too late to start believing. Aim.
Speaker 1: I knew it, You just needed to open your heart to it.
Speaker 5: Charlie, Well, I'll be maybe there's more to Christmas than I thought, But I'm not going to start seeing Christmas carols or nothing.
Speaker 6: You don't have to sing, Sam, but you might want to say Merry Christmas to someone today. You never know what a little kindness can do.
Speaker 4: And so on that Christmas Day in winter Vale, the magic of the season worked its wonders. Old wounds healed, memories were cherished, and new wishes were made, ones that came true in ways no one could have predicted.
Speaker 7: Marry Christmas to all and to all.
Speaker 1: Nice and short and sweet, Jacob, do you feel seen or what?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I want to read at the end, because so again, Keana mentioned the prompt that I had put in there, and the chatch Ept then spit out this crappy little script at the end. It says, this play brings together Christmas magic, personal reflection, and a community coming together. It balances the humor of quirky characters with the warmth and sincerity of the holiday spirit. Each act flows smoothly, tying up the town's mysteries while leaving room for heartwarming moments and the fulfillment of wishes.
Speaker 7: How long did it take you to put together the regular Christmas play?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: A long time.
Speaker 3: I think that's the well because there's two of them there. We've gone back and forth. We go from It's a Wonderful Life to a Christmas Carol, and both of them are Christmas Carol's in the public domain, so the script is easy to grab. You can grab a bunch of different versions of the script. So I took like a basic one and then modified it. But that took a long time, several days, timely references in it. It has a lot of personality that went into it.
Speaker 1: And each act was like eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was like thirty seconds. Yeah yeah, So.
Speaker 7: Could you use AI as a tool for next time?
Speaker 3: Well that was the whole point is I wanted to use AI as a tool to come up with it kind of like a Hallmark style, you know, goofy Christmas show and then expand it and then you know, Taylor to how we wanted and change the character names and things like that.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was all that came up with, was these tiny little.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm sensing that you feel threatened by AI, and I just want you to know. And guys, help me out with this. Your play is head and shoulders. You both plays head and shoulders above this, and we would never replace you with AI, especially in the holidays.
Speaker 2: Get better.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, yeah, prompted as a hallmark, you know that ways start casting, you know, getting really pretty soon my stuff, my script for our show is going to be scanned by AI. That that all these different you know, search tools, that it's going to be up there and they're going to hear it, and.
Speaker 1: That's when they're going to make it better. Yeah, but it'll never have the heart that your scripts have in them.
Speaker 2: I don't believe a word you're saying.
Speaker 3: The big stories of course that we have been following today, the first lawsuits have been filed against President Trump's executive order revising policy on transgender troops. Six Democratic attorneys general have also announced a lawsuit asking a judge to block the imminent federal funding freeze by the Trump administration. That freeze is set to take effect just a little more than an hour from now. Is Raelly, Prime Minister of Benjamin at Yah, who says President Trump has invited him to visit the White House February fourth. That would make you know who the first foreign leader to do so in the second term. No immediate comment from the White House today, but Israel's announcement comes as the US has been pressuring it and Hamas to continue the ceasefire in the devastating fifteen month war. We just gave you an opportunity to see AI in action.
Speaker 2: AI wrote for.
Speaker 3: Us a Christmas play that didn't make the cut, but we wanted to bring it to you just to kind of show you the shortcomings of AI, despite the fact that it was not Christmas time.
Speaker 9: Hey, Gary and Shannon, Holy crap, I got the worst case of the diabetes from listening to that sickeningly sweet barftastic chat GPT thing. My heart is so warm that it justugh.
Speaker 2: I just that might be a hearty kick.
Speaker 1: He's just getting ready for the John Cobalt Show. That's why he got here a little early. We're sorry, We're sorry. Chinese Tech startup Deep seeks, as it was hit by a big cyber attack disrupted user's ability to register on the site. It suffered a large scale malicious attack on its services, but that has since that has since been rectified. Of course, this was the app Deep Seek that sent the tech world into a frenzy. We've been reporting on it because it says it can do AI but cheaper. A full scale replica of the Secret Annex where Ann Frank penned her diary has opened in New York City. It was unveiled yesterday. Official say it represents the first time the annex has been completely recreated outside of Amsterdam, where a similar display is the centerpiece of the A. Frank House Museum and in that vein. I guess it is also true crime what happened? There are a number of themed tours that kind of have been showing what the next phase when it comes to the popularity of true crime and how to make money off of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's one for example in New York, A mafia walking tour starts at John's of Twelfth Street, one of Manhattan's oldest Italian places, just outside Dennis O'Leary, a sixty two year old retired NYPD detective says, that's where Lucky Luciano shut him Bert de Valenti, and then walks through the neighborhood there and points out all these different landmarks in Little Italy and what they mean to the history of the mafia.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows Dennis in Little Italy. In fact, he'll give you a hookup at John's if you are having trouble getting a reservation. I mean, you can almost imagine the sky, right, He kind of jumps off the page. They go to the old Melo printing building, where Dennis says fake stocks and bonds were printed for the mafia. Remember Goodfellas, the two characters that killed Joe Pesci. They go to that haunt as well, where they liked to visit.
Speaker 3: Mafia New York obviously makes perfect sense. What about the Jeffrey Dahmer Footsteps walking tour?
Speaker 1: Does it come with lunch?
Speaker 3: Chicago Crime Tour takes place in an air conditioned bus French Quarter. Phantoms tells the story of characters like the never apprehended Axe Men of New Orleans, the unidentified serial killer went on a rampage in the early twentieth century, and like Jack the Ripper had a pensiant for mocking the media.
Speaker 1: Closer to Home, Kim Cooper runs SOO Touric tours in Los Angeles. They started in two thousand and seven. They had a true crime blog and this kind of was developed out of that. Their tours, they say, have a mix of culture, history, architecture. They offer two true crime tours in downtown LA, the Real Black Dahlia and Human Sacrifice. She says a lot of new visitors have come to LA to learn about the Cecil Hotel, remember the death of Alisa l i Am, the twenty one year old Canadian student visiting. She was found in a water tank. Art Markman is a professor of psychology at the University of Texas. At Austin's is that we have an inherent interest in true crime because stories like these enable us to be transported into situations we wouldn't find ourselves in normally.
Speaker 3: I want to add to that, because I don't know if I thought of this before reading this version of it. There may be a sort of a hero complex in all of us as well. Where you're going to go exactly you're going to go on one of these tours. Let's say you go on the real Black Dohlia tour that's run here in LA and you ask the one question that police detectives and investigators and true crime researchers have never asked before.
Speaker 2: You're going to be the one who's.
Speaker 3: Like, what about the left handed doctor with the ipatch?
Speaker 2: And then everybody just is stunned into and you're the one who saved it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm sure there's a bit of that, a little Nancy Drew and all of us.
Speaker 3: It's funny that they reference Cereal the podcast serial. They got people talking about the genre of.
Speaker 1: A great past. I feel like we had so many good podcasts for a while, like of that kind of nature where they're really well produced and written and researched, and now I just feel like people are phoning it in.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny they refer to it as podcasting, lowering the overhead necessary to distribute context.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can tell. I mean it's hard, it's real. It's more missed than hit when I'm looking for good, researched, well produced podcasts. Yeah, that's why I keep listening to this show. You know, I get in the car, I poke around, I look for a different podcast I try them out, and then I'm like Gary and Shannon. It's the only thing I can rely on.
Speaker 2: And how do you find that? That podcast?
Speaker 1: You just go to wherever you find your podcast? For me, it's just a little app on the phone in search. You type in Gary and Shannon and there it.
Speaker 2: Is, just comes right up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it comes right up Gary and Shannon Show. KFI Right, there's latest episode.
Speaker 2: Huh's that simple?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: There we are? That's us.
Speaker 3: What if I wanted to share that with somebody that I know, I'm sure there's a share button or I like it?
Speaker 1: How come our rating is only four point one?
Speaker 2: You don't read in that? That's like I'm reading reviews. How do you get the reviews? We're going to be lost, lost forever?
Speaker 3: How do you get the reviews? John Cobelt Show is coming up next. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay drive everybody.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Oh I see it now? Oh no, yeah, Gary and Shannon? What would I do without you? That's the first five year say the word blessings? Blessings is count me out?
Speaker 2: Enough is enough? Gary and Shannon. We got to end it. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI Am six forty nine to one pm every read Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.