Speaker 1: One of my sisters. She was going through a really hard time in school. They kicked her out. She was eighth grade. I'm telling you, I have no idea why they sent her out. The rest of us were still in there, and my mother tried all the other schools from that extreme to that extreme. Even at one point there was no school of Munsey that would take her, not a single one who tried out.
Speaker 2: Lakewood or New Jersey. And they also refused. One of them said, we refuse to save the Nashamas of Munsey.
Speaker 1: Why do you.
Speaker 3: Think a community that is supposed to be so good about Hasid and charity didn't come through for her.
Speaker 1: The community is great with Hay said, when it comes to physically sick people, cancer patients, if anybody cannot have children, if anybody that doesn't have any money, Out of all my personal experience from mine and my siblings, there's no organization that helps for not that I've heard of, that offer to try to get her into a school, try to fight on her behalf.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, my name is Peter Bazel and I'm in New York City, Brooklyn based juice YouTuber with an interest in all things Jewish subcultures religion, New York City, and human interest stories. Today, I'm delighted to interview Pessi from the Instagram account pess I'm stressing Pessi Gay notoriety for creating funny spoofs in Yiddish on Instagram, for instance, spoofing the experience of shy young girls getting fitted for bras by matronly no nonsense Asiitic ladies, and other funny spoofs that many of us can relate to. I heard from so many of you wanted to hear Pessi's story, and I'm so glad that she agreed to speak with me today. Thank you, Pesse for being here, Thank.
Speaker 1: You for having me.
Speaker 3: How are you doing good?
Speaker 1: Doing good?
Speaker 3: We want to get to know you and your story. Do you mind if we start by I'll ask you where you were raised and how old you are.
Speaker 1: I was born and raised in Monsey, New York, and I'm twenty two.
Speaker 3: You're twenty two, and you're a mother.
Speaker 1: I'm a mother.
Speaker 3: How old is your daughter?
Speaker 1: She is earning three end of July, so she's two and a half. I had her when I was nineteen and a.
Speaker 3: Half and right now you're a student in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you still live in month See, yeah, around like Rockland County, but still here near my family. Sweet.
Speaker 3: I lived in Rockland County as a single mother for many years. It was a sweet place to raise a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, did you grow up speaking Yiddish my school? We spoke Yidish in school between our friends, which is not that common as you might think. Not my speaks to theater's business speaks theatersh but all the rest of the schools don't really speak Eidish between friends. We did at home. We spoke Yiddish till I was fifteen years old. And at that point, somehow like our family went through some changes and we all started speaking English more or less.
Speaker 2: I have two little brothers and were still speak English to them.
Speaker 1: How many kids are you?
Speaker 2: We're seven, I'm the oldest, you're the oldest.
Speaker 1: Five girls. Interesting, So that's fine.
Speaker 3: Five girls in a row and then two boys. Would you say that you spoke more English at home because you were so many girls?
Speaker 1: No, again, we switched over to English a lot later. So in the beginning, when I was younger, we all spoke Yiddish. But then yeah, our father was speak Yiddish. I don't know, it's very mixed. It's more like we started reading in English and watching videos in English. It's more about being able to express ourselves better in English.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which so quickly through languages that I don't even I don't realize have the time, what language I'm speaking, even to my father would be speaking English switching over to Yiddish. I don't even know, not a. It's very fluid for me.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, yeah, my daughter, but it's definitely your daughter too, she's fluent in Yiddish. Yeah, love that. So can you tell me what kind of hasidas you were associated with as young kids?
Speaker 2: No, because it's associated that any I see.
Speaker 3: So what we were Where were you on the What school did you go to when you were very young?
Speaker 1: I think it was to monthly school private. Yeah, so it started off as being under Nicholsburg. It was called Plasmel. Then when I was sixth grade, I don't even know what happened. I just remember there were cops and a whole protests outside of building. It kind of split politics.
Speaker 3: Wow, that sounds fun.
Speaker 1: And after that we switched schools. We moved out of our building in the trailers. But yeah, switch switched the name switched and everything.
Speaker 3: Did your family not feel affiliated with Hasidis? Did they just see themselves.
Speaker 1: As we were fully Hasidish? But my grandfather was like he never officially had on debt, but he had a lot of different ones. He loved debs in general, he went for brooks and everything, but he never was connected to one.
Speaker 2: My father, his personal was this rash coil at Heel Tower.
Speaker 1: They were very close, very very close, so he asked him everything, moving job, everything. Then he passed away and his son took over, and then his son passed away, and it's very hard for my father to get used to somebody new after that felt it. We felt the lack of a hasidisen but in our life we did use kids. But I have to have a feeling to where you are and I guess my father can't find. But we were fully Hasidish, like all the all the Hasidish Manhogean and levision and the way we went about everything. We weren't part of a specific We never I was never at a tissue even no, no.
Speaker 3: You didn't go to squid or none of the groups to interesting. How would you describe your early childhood? Was it very sheltered?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very sheltered.
Speaker 3: What was it like to be the oldest.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say guinea pick because I love my parents.
Speaker 1: It's like every oldest. I mean, it was the responsibility, a lot of responsibility. It's kind of like carrying the family on my back. That was I'm going to falk from my own personal experience. I felt like the mood in the house depended on me. So I was I felt like I can't fully express myself. Not anybody's fault, just my own, like I needed to make sure that everybody's happy, everybody's okay, and if any of the kids were making problems, you know, I tried to step in. I love my role. I take it very seriously. I'm very protective by nature, still still now.
Speaker 3: And that's probably why you feel so at home with nursing right as your future career.
Speaker 1: Probably I want to be that person that people you know depend on to be that sturdy Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can I ask what your relationship with your parents was like when you were young.
Speaker 1: When I was young, things definitely changed. Our family changed in general. So when I was young, I think it was regular relationship that anybody has with parents. My mother was a stay at home mother. My father wasn't coddled until I was I think fourteen years old. We were close. It's my problem, like I didn't open up fully. But I have a lot of the same things, Like I take a lot of qualities from them. For example, my father, he loves learning new things, he loves history, he loves nature, he loves animals, all these things. I see myself like that.
Speaker 2: So we kind of bonded through that interests.
Speaker 1: That's what my father. We have very philosophical discussions and the pepert. My mother was always very She's like the she carries a lot of our family, so we depend on her a lot. So she was the one who would get us, you know, school supplies and things like that. But the one I would talk to more was my father. The one I depend more was my mother.
Speaker 3: Would you say your childhood was difficult or happy or both? What would you How would you describe it?
Speaker 1: It was? I think it was a regular, great childhood. We had a lot of space to express ourselves our family. We made crazy things we would build in our house, Like we take all the blankets and towels and sheets and make mazes and amusement parks. And I don't know what we made mock weddings and camps and all of it in one job this afternoon.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you and your sisters, your younger sisters. Are you still close to them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Very close to each other? Yeah, very sweet.
Speaker 3: So can I ask what happened later that your family became less Harasidish?
Speaker 1: Sure? First of all, we didn't become less Hastietish. We just came out a little bit of the box we were grown into. So we're still fully Hasidish. But we started watching the DVD's a little later.
Speaker 3: When you were really young, there were no movies, no demais, but that Slava Yeah, very hardcore. Yeah. Then it became wece Mandel, Lucky Laffy Taffy's. You could have Laughy Taffy's.
Speaker 2: Still not the jawel breaker one.
Speaker 3: You remember the fireball.
Speaker 1: It's like a black licorice sid category yea horrible an acchoir case.
Speaker 3: It burnt, it was so hot, no point, no point. So what happened? Who started to introduce things into your home that were more open.
Speaker 1: So one of my sisters, she was going through really hard time in school. Basically one of the principles decided that she was too I don't know how to explain it. Like there was a whole group in the class that didn't like the principal, and they made like a club, like we ate the principal. Club.
Speaker 2: Principal decided that my sister is the ahead of it.
Speaker 1: To make a long story short, she called her in the office and kept saying negative things to her.
Speaker 2: But kept telling her like, maybe you need help.
Speaker 1: And she sent them to some rabbi who liked that rabbi. He's a great rabbi, but for the people that really really needed him.
Speaker 2: So kind of that opened her up a little bit more to the world.
Speaker 1: At one point, they kicked her out. She was eighth grade. The principal wanted to the classroom and said that somebody here is like Amuli, Like keeled up the rest of the class, and the next day she was out. And you were the older sister and all of the older sister in high school, and yeah, knowing that everybody is looking at me, but I had great classmates, great friends, well, so I knew what was going on at home. She wasn't acting her best. She was really sad all the time. She was really angry all the time. It was more like that fear of we don't know what's going to be, And at one point she said she wants to be school out of town. We still wanted to keep her here because she was so young, she was twelve thirteen years old at that point. We wanted to make it easier for us, So my parents started becoming a little bit more lenient with her. But automatically O kids see almost say like, it's not fair. Why could she see this or do this? It was more like she watched Shirley Temple like one of them. So I guess that's where it started. Of course, it wasn't like a deep change, but it started more. Our whole family became more Yeah, and but firching for school? Should I even get into that whole thing?
Speaker 3: If you're comfortable talking about it, for sure, you can talk about it, okay, especially how it affected you with your younger sister. Going through such a difficult challenge in the from world, if you get kicked out of a school has especially repercussions because it can be really hard to find a new one, right, not only really hard, impossible, it's impossible because they won't accept you.
Speaker 1: And she was still fully fully religious, keeping everything like I'm telling you, I have no idea why they sent her out. The rest of us were still in there, and my mother tried all the other schools from that extreme to that extreme. Even at one point there was no school of Munthy that would take her, not a single one. And so we try like out like Lakewood or New Jersey, and they also refused. One of them said, we refuse to save the Nashamas of Munsey. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you feel when you think back to it.
Speaker 1: At that time? I feel like, right now everything is coming up, the resentment, the rejection, the betrayal, the you know, how can they do this? We're Jewish, we need your help. We went to many other people and we need people to a sponsor to try to get her back into the school, and the prince was like, it's either me or her. She didn't even want to negotiate, and we went from person to person to person. Most of them charged money after like forty five minutes at like times off, I don't care do anything. Nobody did anything, and it just felt very It felt helpless. It felt like there was nobody out there that is going to help us. And we were on that journey where it was getting really really scary. We didn't know what the future is going to be going to bring. And then the house started becoming so different. It was a lot more tense, a lot more walking on eggshells around everybody, a lot more like the rest of the kids were kind of being pushed aside and the whole focus wasn't hers. So I my role was to take care of the other kids, and it was it was becoming like a real division. Because she wanted to go out of the state. First of my mother said like, no, absolutely, now, we're not sending you out of the state. We want we wanted her around, wanted her home as she was so young, but nobody was taking her. So we found school in Cincinnati, Ohio. So she went there in ninth grade, and it was really difficult because she's also very connected to her family. She was very homesick. It was very high level school and they weren't see this. It's very hard to connect to people that are not not from where you grew up. It's a different mentality, different way of thinking. She was not too happy over there, nothing to do with the school, it's just her home. She was already feeling so, you know, yeah, being sent out of one school, being rejected like I can't even imagine the pain of it. I never felt like that, but I felt rejection. I felt an outcast enough to know it. Oh what must go through somebody's head when they feel like the whole school just thought I can And the school that sent her out didn't even check back to see if she's okay, didn't check back to see maybe they can do something to find a different school, nothing like as if turned back completely. So then it was COVID and my sister came back from Cincinnati and afterwards they said like she shouldn't come back. So that was it. Then for the next year she started working. A lady hired her not to do just a little filing and that was that was amazing.
Speaker 2: Have many people, but those people that helped.
Speaker 1: Out, we remember, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why do you think a community that is supposed to be so good about HASID and charity didn't come through for her.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say this without sounding too hateful, but the community is great with HASTID when it comes to physically sick people, cancer patients, if anybody cannot have children, if anybody that doesn't have any money. Out of all my personal experience from mine and my siblings. Nobody, there's no organization that helps for and not that I've heard of that offer it to try to get her into a school, try to fight on her behalf, try to fund different schools. The schools out of townhart so expensive. Nobody even to be home with us. It's like it's almost like having a sick sibling with parents that are not home all the time, just.
Speaker 2: Like is sick physically and the parents have to be out and running.
Speaker 1: We had that too. We were little kids along and there was nobody and only there was nobody. But there was the shame too. There's the blame. I've had friends dropping me because of her. We've all had neighbors. Little kids started like telling my brothers things like I saw your sister doing this, and so you sister doing that. So it's not only that they don't help, but you had that shame and the blame. Now they're getting better at it, but back then, it was a long time ago and it was like, oh, this person has a sister. That's like it was very embarrassing. What happened in your own life?
Speaker 3: Did you still get married in a regular marriage, like all of your friends in an arranged marriage.
Speaker 1: But that was that was later.
Speaker 2: First Josh went to another school and got sent out all these things.
Speaker 1: So where was I? And all this time I was still very like my way of dealing with it was going the opposite extreame becoming very religious like I would. I would read all kinds of like living a moona books like I tried to really like soak everything in to the to the opposite extreme. And yeah, so in school did it help Did it help you cold for the time? Yes, yes, it's kind of It's almost like a drug. Religion could be a drug. You can become so obsessed with it because you feel you feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what you became fromer than the whole family? Did you boss others around with your like, don't do that?
Speaker 1: Never, No, I just became very like very from you know, very into yihud and very into I don't even remember what I would. It's more an internal thing like I would, you know, like how seminary girls thakha every second word that was me when I was I was in twelfth grade and I was completely but you know it was necessary for that time, Like I don't blame myself for doing that, because things at home were going so so wrong that like it was it was. It was so tough, and I needed to have something else to focus on other than what was going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, did you feel like Hasham is on your side or your sister's side.
Speaker 1: I guess I didn't let myself think about it. I just I thought about in a very logical perspective. I grew up thinking like this, I am going to do x y Z because that what was. That's what was tolt. That's good, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: They totally like, do x y Z and you're gonna be closer to Ssham.
Speaker 1: So I did that. I spoke to him, I would thank him. But it was always like out of out of fear, definitely not out of love. It was always like, okay, you know what, I know my family is doing certain things. Look at me.
Speaker 2: I'm good, So do good for the rest of the family because I'm good.
Speaker 1: That was kind of how I did everything. It's like, look like, I'm gonna gonna thank you. I'm gonna, you know, thank you out loud, and don't mind that my siblings don't. I wouldn't go.
Speaker 3: You know, it sounds I think a lot of people who will listen to this will be able to relate to a teenage experience where something goes awry and it's very painful and isolating. As you know, the a family that was wholesome starts to like unravel because something happened. Did you have like a confidant who you could talk to or how did you besides for your faith, how did you emotionally get through it?
Speaker 1: I had a therapist at that time, but I was so embarrassed that I didn't even tell her about these things that was going on. Years later, like remember telling her, you know this has been going on blessed two years ago, and she looked at me, like, didn't you say anything. In high school, I had a teacher that I spoke to, but I was I was rewarded a lot for being more from than everything, So that kind of fed that. It's more about that. It was more like they were giving me physics.
Speaker 2: To keep doing what I'm doing even.
Speaker 1: While everything else is just so. It was never about my emotions, but it was more like look at you. You know you're keeping strong. You're so connected to as anybody else in your shoes would have broken, but you are still so keep.
Speaker 3: Going, how do you feel saying it now?
Speaker 1: It's what I needed then, Yeah, you have to have.
Speaker 3: A tremendous amount of kindness and compassion when you looked back to what you needed.
Speaker 1: It's nobody good for me to think time I needed somebody to say, you know, just just be yourself. You can be angry. You don't have to.
Speaker 2: Be perfect, like nothing's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of pentaps up there book exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I can hear the pain in your voice, and I think a part of it is when you, yourself are targeted as the bad kid. I think it's easier to roll with it because it's very hard to watch someone you feel is being like wrongly maligned. I think that the emotions could develop so much stronger when it's not.
Speaker 1: You, because I wasn't the only it wasn't happening to me, so I was on the side absorbing her pain, my parents' pain, my siblings pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At one point, like before she went away to Cincinnati, she was so close to my little brother and then she went away. He was only two years old, and from them, whenever anybody was about to leave the room or leave the house, he come running and ask if we're going to come back, so.
Speaker 3: That you know, yeah, yeah, sweetie, So you're you were married in the Faidous system.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I was in a very very very very good, another very ouldtrurals school and they for high school, the whole school from nursery to the same school that my likena more than it's like the ones that summer is too not from enough for me. You came here.
Speaker 3: Why did your parents pick such an extreme school?
Speaker 1: Okay, it wasn't as Sila, a lot more extreme later different principles different or different. It changed over the years, I'll say the parent body changed.
Speaker 3: To so school changed. Essentially stayed.
Speaker 1: We stayed because my parents didn't think uprooting me from my friends is a good idea. And at that point I had already from that the last year. So I took everything that I taught us. So when did they teach us? They taught us exactly what you need to do as a wife, as I just Chile, you know, you have to be there for your husband. You need to accept his love too, because if not, it's like a coup that has a whole. You know, he's going to give you and you don't accept his and you know his happiness if you are you know. The story was like Kreiak's wife versus uh, what's his name? The other one, it's a kudak's wife evinced him to sin and then the other one distracted him and put him no.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but that's the wife. You should be.
Speaker 1: Yes, like you can. It's your responsibility, meaning you can. It's on you whether he sins or not. In other words, not that it's on you, but like you have the power to make him good, like like they always need fixing men.
Speaker 3: Why it's a great way to go through life, and you can.
Speaker 1: They were always saying this this mushal that there's the Usha and the tatak, and the Tatak had a wife like adusha wife, and the Adusha had atotic wife. And then once they both divorced and they married each other, and the tadig became a duca because his wife became Usa, and the Ua became asada because the wife was Basically it depended on the wife whether they were good.
Speaker 3: The wife determined okay, So alusha is an evil person and a tadek is a sage, a saintly person, and it all comes down to the woman behind the man.
Speaker 1: Here's the bread, she's the water. You are going to take up the space. Shake it a kind of behavior, a fee. You know, all these things like shake it it basically means that looks mean nothing. Everything is yeah, And I really I'm a person that learns and takes everything in. Everything. In all my childhood, I've been taking things in. Like we learned in the second grade that if you don't have kavuna when you dive in, then it's like a gift without ama. And every time I finished davening, I knew I didn't think of the touch. I knew this is just going to stay here like the past.
Speaker 3: No, I remember we also a gift without anima is meaning it's a body without a soul. We learned something similar that if you do a mitzvah without doing get one hundred percent, never did you create an No, you create an angel. So every mitzvah, every good deed, creates an angel. But if you don't do it properly, Let's say you dabvin but you're not wearing proper sockings. The angel informed, yeah, I know, and then it was so sad.
Speaker 2: He learned that if you do it, it's fun that you regret it.
Speaker 1: It's like you never did it. Like let's say, if you borrow a book for a friend and you regret giving it to her, then it's like you never you never lent it. Okay, walk with me, and it's still like even right now, I'm scared to say it.
Speaker 2: Did you ever learn that if you ask why, you're gonna die?
Speaker 1: No, It's like if you ask God, why is this happening to me, He's gonna say why you're asking what come up? I'll show you why. I was like, no, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To really, that's so funny. I thought Jews are like why me?
Speaker 1: So at one point, I remember like I was going to sleep, and in my mind I had a really bad day, and I was like, why is this happening to me? I Rember was like, okay, this is you know. I just asked him why, and I always to say and I'm like, look, I don't really want to die. I don't really want to know why.
Speaker 2: I'm literally talking to him and I'm going to sit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, whatever, if I die, it is what it is. And then I woke up and I did it, and I'm like, he's about ahmember, that's what I mean. I take everything in. So I took in what it's like to be a wife, and I took in what kind of husband I should be looking for, and feelings and emotions like I didn't think it's it's I didn't think it's necessary. Even like I didn't, I didn't think it's part of it. Because when I warned that romances love, romance and love is from the movies. Life is meant to be hard. Marriages, you have to work. They never tell you how hard or how much you have to work. So you can go into a situation that's not normal and you just remember that. Remember romance is fake. Love is fake. People are just pretending it's real hard work. Yeah, so I was. I was set up like everybody else. Had oneber show and we met for an hour. We spoke a lot of different things. But yes, you want to have internet, No, okay, you want to have a computer, Okay, I want like a real to digestive. I wanted to live with a lot of do you want them? Like, yeah, that's absolutely what I want. I want to have a fun home. Yeah, are you going to learn?
Speaker 3: He agreed with you about not having a computer and not having internet.
Speaker 1: I agree with him. I did have a computer because I do have a recording studio, but like south the internet. Now, okay, no, I make it sound like it was. Really it wasn't like that. It was more like he aligned. He checked off exactly what I wanted at that point, wanted the same home that I wanted, and he did a lot of things that I know others don't like. He was very into if I need to work, I'm going to work. If I need a if I'm going to try to learn as much as possible. If I need to work, I'm going to work. And that was different from when I grew up. Oh, like, okay, that's a plus, he said. He was very accepting up my sisters. I don't know, it just it just fit. So we met like an hour and a half to two hours and got engaged that night.
Speaker 3: Where did you meet in his ant spacement? In his ant spacement, were you excited get.
Speaker 2: Engaged or to meet someone both? I do not not really.
Speaker 1: It was more like the next step and what I'm supposed to do in this world. When I know that I'm not going to feel right about something. My logical brain turns on completely one hundred percent and my emotions go completely down. So because it was so logical, it became what I wanted.
Speaker 3: It's like you emotionally shut down and you're like now following the steps, almost like a robot.
Speaker 1: And we were like seven months we didn't meet.
Speaker 3: Did you talk during the engagement?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't meet at all. He was learning Israel and then we spoke twice, and I was so lucky.
Speaker 3: If you would have met him on the street, would you have recognized him?
Speaker 1: I would like to think so. But at one point, like I forgot his voice, I got engaged Khanaka, and I didn't speak to him till Psak. And I remember all the mothers would tell me engagement is the best time, like you know you're going to get married, but you still don't have the pressure of marriage, so enjoy this time. And I would look at them like, I don't know. I was. I was miserable. My engagement wasn't miserable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember, more so than marriage.
Speaker 1: It was more in my mind, I'm like, what are you doing? You're getting into something? Do you even want this? And then in the meantime, we were shopping and getting furniture and different kind of things that were spending so much money. So I didn't think I had a choice. I kept telling myself like, it's gonna be good, Like this is just you're in your head. I would sit with a picture in front of him. I'm like, Okay, start liking, we're gonna marry like him.
Speaker 3: But you didn't even know him.
Speaker 1: Was he cute looking? Can I ask?
Speaker 2: I'm not so into looks?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Me either. I was never really into looks. So it's a personality that mattered. And it was easy to talk like. We had a easy time talking.
Speaker 2: Conversation flowed and that's they told us.
Speaker 1: If you see it flows, then it's probably a good yeah thing.
Speaker 3: I hear you, especially if your emotions are shut down. I can only speak for myself, but personally I relate to that being overwhelmed to the point that you shut down and then you go on autopilot. It's very hard to even feel attraction because you're in this crisis state. So how are you supposed to know if you're even attracted exactly? So what was it like to be newly married?
Speaker 1: I remember crying a lot. Boy, I cried a lot. I did not feel like I'm my ideal wife. I'm a real perfectionist. I have a very loud self critic. I always feel like I'm not doing enough, and I had such high standards of myself and I can never reach it emotionally. Did he know try doing everything? Did he know that I didn't? Not? At that point, I forced myself. It's kind of so hard for me to be like hying. So every time I would say I love you, I felt like another part of me dying. Yeah, did your mother know? No, we put up such a good show on the outside, that to the point where where his grandfather gave us, mister that we're showing too much affection in public.
Speaker 3: Wow, what were you doing? You were holding hands in public?
Speaker 1: He fixed my wig.
Speaker 2: You have to pretend like you're not clean all the time.
Speaker 3: How much after you got married was your daughter born?
Speaker 1: How long after got pregnant? Five months after roaged, five months after we're married?
Speaker 3: After you got married? You got married otherwise while he was in Israel? That would be very strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know technology today, you'd be surprised.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm so sorry to hear you know. I have to say, it's so painful to hear because you're so young, you're so trying to be grown up, but you're not quite there, and sometimes you're not ready to be vulnerable when you're young, but trying to be grown up.
Speaker 1: Especially for me, being vulnerable was not I couldn't afford to be vulnerable in my family, you know. I needed to be strong for my sisters and my parents. So and if I would be vulnerable, I need somebody really like, not only strong and hold me, but also not making me feel little. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone who can respect that you're such a big Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to you know, you're you're still strong. For some men, it's like they are very insecure about themselves. So when their wife like cries, they feel like, oh okay, now I'm bigger. Yeah, and they like it. Yeah, makes them feel it.
Speaker 3: But then when you're strong and you don't need them, then they're feeling they might feel threatened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: So was your daughter born before you got to Worcester?
Speaker 1: After before way before I was married three years? Wow? So she was born? So I got pregnant five months after my engagement. I had a really really hard pregnancy at HG. You know what, h G h G. Hyperamesis something. It's basically severe severe emosia severe like non be like. Basically it was really it was really really tough. I to stop working.
Speaker 3: What will you do?
Speaker 1: I was working customer service, Like my company was hired by other companies to do the customer service for them. So by did customer service for a lot of different companies. It's actually a lot of fun. Got the switch different different companies and identities. Yeah, so I had to stop working. I was basically in bed entorry time. I lost a ton of weight. I was like thirty pounds. Me, I'm tiny. I lost like thirty pounds.
Speaker 3: Why you couldn't eat because you were so nauseous, But eat and then go to the west, to the west.
Speaker 1: It's literally like a cycle. At one point they made me count how many times I threw up. It was like by twenty five thirty I lost count. Wow.
Speaker 3: It was this way all through the pregnancy, or it got better towards there.
Speaker 1: Like by the second trimester, it became a little better, like more towards the afternoon. I was able to keep down some of it, but I was still vomiting till the last day. I loved labor. I didn't throw up once. It's like labor. My delivery was easier than my whole pregnancy, And what was it like to be a new That was actually easier than being a wife.
Speaker 2: And that's that's why I think.
Speaker 1: I think I ended up stopping to take birth control in the beginning and actually want to get pregnant because I felt like, I'm I'm doing a sucky job. You know, I can't be a wife, so let's see how I am as a mother. And he's the best that I can get. I didn't think there was a way. I didn't think there was anything else. I didn't think I needed anything else. I'm like, you know what, he still checks the boxes. I'm sure he's gonna be a great father. He is a great father, and then great, let's have a baby. And I was great mother?
Speaker 3: Then were you married off with birth control? Your mother set you up with birth control? This is normal? Like is this the normal?
Speaker 1: Now? That's why my mother was more open minded. She just took from her own personal experience. I was born when she was nineteen. She's when I got pregnant. She's like, still supported me, but I know it bothered her.
Speaker 3: Wow, you know what, we all have to do our thing. It's very hard to be a mother. I mean, your your kid is still young, but you have to watch your kid grow up and do their own thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was one of the hardest things that when we actually got separated. She she's such a smart little girl that she would ask questions, you know, it would hurt her and would hurt me, and I'm like, oh, what am I doing? Why am I doing this? But I yeah, yeah, at one point, you can't ignore everything that's building up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, did you? I can ask if you're from now, you're not from right?
Speaker 1: How what's from? Like?
Speaker 3: Do you? I guess I should rephrase it. Did you go on a religious journey making religious changes? At some point?
Speaker 1: Definitely? Whatever felt I'm gonna use this term because for me it felt like that when I finish I did whatever, it felt like it was a life and death situation for me. Everything else even that, if it's a week, if it's a shop, is that it doesn't feel like life and death. I try to keep it as much as I can, so it's not all or nothing for me, very clear about that. I got besa. I try. I try because I'm not you know, I don't want to raise that part of me. And I'm not stupid either. Like I'm happy that I'm happy that this didn't happen when I was fifteen years old, because then I probably would have wanted to try everything. I could have gotten into so much trouble and gone through so many more traumatic things. Right now, I'm a lot more in touch with myself.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not a club girl.
Speaker 1: I'm not a party girl in certain things I'm staying away from. And I have a daughter, so I have responsibilities. I don't do drugs or anything like that. She keeps me grounded.
Speaker 3: That's great. Can I ask, I don't know if you want to talk, you're okay talking about this. Was it your decision to end the marriage or do you not want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: No, it was initially it wasn't my decision.
Speaker 1: It was his. And just gonna put it out there. Like we got separated in end of June, and I started like not being from in October. A lot of people think that it was Oh, she didn't want to be from so they went separated.
Speaker 2: That was not the case at all.
Speaker 1: So were you relieved? Yeah? How were your parents about it? It was very hard at first. It still is like they wanted to keep it a secret. This was a lot of shame around it too. It was like We've always been an embarrassing family. I've always had people laughing at us. I always have people rejecting us. This is another thing. But I got a lot of pressure to try again. Obviously there was a lot more to it, right, and they didn't know half of the things I was. It came as such a shock to them. I wish it wouldn't. I wish they would have seen it coming more. And it was also my sister was engaged. I didn't want to do with her while she was engaged, So I kept pushing and pushing and pushing months and months and months, but I just couldn't pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right before she got married. Not right before, but.
Speaker 1: So they were busy with another kid, another wedding, and at the same time I had another sister. She wasn't sap there and stop. I sent her out. Probably all my siblings were sent out from some place already. So talk about feeling rejected right as a family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, what was harder for your parents, the divorce or your religious change?
Speaker 1: Definitely the divorce.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why I think the.
Speaker 1: Religion didn't bother them as much. I mean, I'm gonna say how I dress because that's the most like visible, right, so I do where parents are like more masks looking. Whether it bothered them, I think because I was like the third sister to not not be from that, they were like, okay, what else divorce, I say, and that was a lot more. I'm sure it was a big deal.
Speaker 3: What happened with your sisters? Can you talk about them not be coming from Is it the one the one that you know.
Speaker 1: Earlier, the one that's uh yeah, so she it was an eventual, it was I guess her was so slow. It's like more and more until like at one point she just couldn't anymore. There's a limit how much a person can take while also focusing their votes on religion. Then the sister after that, and she was she was in sommer school. And I think it was a thing from the parents. That's what we heard back that a lot of the classmates parents, whoever I say this, they don't believe me, the like stop my wife from show fine bathroom. I know, sorry, yeah, you're not gonna tell me. They don't And again no, no, trying to see if there's another place. And she she's a really deep girl. She's a lot like me, so she felt it. She's like, you know, I thought they liked me. I thought they saw beyond everything. I thought they saw that I'm a good girl and that I want to be good. And she, you know, she had hurt her a lot. It does something person I can't even go into it. But yeah, and again nobody know.
Speaker 3: We tried.
Speaker 1: We tried. Yeah, We're like, yeah, they're going through all of it again, and I should show that my marriage and everything's falling. The power. Well, I know that they are going through so many things with them, Like I wasn't home and and my mother always said, like with Pessy, I know at least with her, she's good.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do it to them. Are they okay with you now? Are they able to support you a lot more?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we talk more. I have more support than I did. I learned to ask for it. To asking for help was extremely odd for me. I found many friends made people. I was also very scared to to make friends because I had very close friends in the past and all of them just cut over for one reason or another, and I connect very deep, very hard, but very deep. And if so many stops limits very hard for me to start again, but I did. Yeah, unless it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Like my model changed.
Speaker 1: It used to be rather be lonely then get hurt to the point or ever now it's like, rather risk your heart and have amazing people in your life rather than being a lonely and alone one hundred.
Speaker 3: It's a very strong sign of trauma if you're so afraid that you won't be able to deal with hurt that you would rather isolate yourself. And I think a part of healthy growth is the ability to cope with a pain that comes with relationships. It's heartbreaking if someone can't cope with it. Yeah, and it's also clear that you found your anger, which also can be really hard for women who especially grow up being the big sister, the brave pace, trying to solve things by being better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened? What happened? How the anger started coming out? The more in touch I get with myself, as I'm like, I don't have to fake anymore. I don't have to be the perfect wife, perfect I should style, the perfect daughter, perfect teacher was teacher too.
Speaker 2: Loved my students soually loved them.
Speaker 1: I told for a year and a half and I do belong certain part of me belongs in the classroom. And when they asked me if I'm going to come the next year, I was still everything was still going fine. Just something in me it was like, don't like next year, Like you can't go on one more year like this, And I know whatever's gonna be, it's either gonna be a breakdown or a breakthrough. But I would not through.
Speaker 3: It and say I heard you with your daughter, and I can see how you thrive in that maternal role, in the teacher role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is so very exciting because I have ideas to this guy. Oh, like I told about Italy, we just made pizza. I loved it. I loved it. But again, because I had all that in front of me, I couldn't focus on all my pain and my anger, my resentment and feelings of betrayal. There's so much there. Even right now, it's I'm not fully letting it come out because I don't even know what I'm gonna do. Because when I feel angry, it's yeah I.
Speaker 2: Can It's also a feeling of protectiveness.
Speaker 1: I don't know if only feel angry for me. I feel angry for my sisters to burn the world down because of it. So that's just protecting everybody else. Yeah, we'll safe for now. I'm just saying that now I don't have anything to focus on other than what brought me here. Also, because I have such a strong connection tash Him, I can't be my I can't bring myself to be angry at him. I'm so scared to be angry at him.
Speaker 3: To this day. You have a strong connection tash Him, do you, Davin? Every day you pray?
Speaker 1: Dwining was very hard for me, even as a little kid, because I can never understand what I'm saying. So a lot of times like pretend I'm dawning inside of downie Yiddish.
Speaker 2: But I still talk to him a lot less, though recently because if.
Speaker 1: I talked to him, are all it's going to come up? But I do. I am at this point right now where I feel like in order for me to grow close to him again, I have to acknowledge everything I'm feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. That sounds very healthy to me. Yeah, yeah, So thank you for sharing all of this. Let's quickly talk about Instagram where we see the clown side of Pessy, the creative, fun, funny side of you.
Speaker 1: Yes, fake, it's not totally.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's fake. No, no, not at all. I didn't think for a second it's fake. I just think it's the fun side. We all have different sides, especially a deep person like you. What happened there? How did you end up becoming an Instagram personality?
Speaker 1: It was a night before my sister's wedding and then we posted that video.
Speaker 2: But what brought me into profiting video? So basically I didn't have this is.
Speaker 1: It with your sisters? It was with my sisters? Yeah, both of them, my sisters. The one that I'm actually fitting is the sister right after me and the one standing there and says, do you have anything that hides it a little better? That's the one She got married the next day.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: But it was so I guess I was I did not know how the world works. I didn't have a smartphone while I was married. I was just newly separated, and I'm a newly voked just a couple of months out, and I was like I had I dropped everything, religion and everything that week literally, But I had a couple of months before I got I got a smartphone, downloaded Instagram because my sister told me it's a better for scrolling. Oh I don't Instagram, and I used it for scrolling. And then at one point I'm like, oh yeah, I sh'll post. I don't know, so I posted like pictures of me cooking all to do.
Speaker 2: It was private, it's private account. He barely had any followers.
Speaker 1: I had maybe some of my friends and my sisters, and then at one point I started accepting some more like friends of friends. We had a family Instagram. We closed it, but we called it. I was called I didn't even remember my family Instagram account name. Where's it called? Like this gen z word family?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not the right person. I am not the right person here.
Speaker 1: Something like that was cool when you like get to unstress. I don't even remember. We had a family Instagram. And I always said, like us, as a family, we can make it big. We are so hilarious, we are so cuckoo. These videos are just on a daily basis in our conversation. So we opened up this family Instagram, and then some videos that I posted there I posted on my private and then I started only posting my private but it was still a private account. And at one point I gave out one video, the one the way I'm saying, like, what's the first rebellies act that you did as an ultra person? I ate in the toilet literally short twenty five seconds, still on my private account, in my bedroom dark, like I wasn't even I just yeah, that's how everything happens. And I guess a friend watched a friend watch it or something, and suddenly I started getting a lot more requests, Like I went from twenty five to seventy five in a day. Every day I got another like seventy requests. And I told my sister, my mother sister, that I don't know. I don't have patience. I keep having to open up my Instagram I canunt and to accept people like I'm I don't have time. She's like, okay, so do it public. I'm like, so if I do it public, it means that people don't have to like, I don't have to accept people. They can just watch me without me looking. Yeah. Fine, I didn't even know what public private. I didn't even know anything. And then we post the pro video Matsasavis and it went around. It went around, and by the next morning, I went from seventy seventy five to one hundred to five thousand.
Speaker 2: Then they wow, that's followers views.
Speaker 1: It went around, and normally that people started regniting was the wedding day. People started recognizing me on the street, and I was I was ready to close it down right there and go hide in the cave for a while. It was not a time where I wanted that to happen to me. I've been dealing with my own things. My family was always so over the radar. I was always so quiet, So my own thing that I didn't really I didn't appreciate the popular I didn't enjoy it. I made so many mistakes.
Speaker 2: I took videos of my location was clearly visible. I don't know half of the things you know. And then I kept it open. I wanted to close it down many times, but it's still open.
Speaker 3: But what's keeping you to be to stay told? Your nerve?
Speaker 1: A couple of things, some good things, some bad things. So my deep, deep yearning of making a difference that I've always wanted. That's why I became a teacher, That's why I becoming a nurse, It's something I always wanted. I wanted to make a difference because we were so quiet of a family, and we kept being you know, I never felt like I can. I just wanted with one word, make somebody's day, with one smile, make somebody's day more than I already was. And here I was public and just a little kid coming over is like, Hi, recognize your Instagram? Can we take a s healthie? And I'm making somebody's day just by existing. And I've had people saying that, no, I know this in this person. She's she's sick and she doesn't laugh often, but she laughs from your videos a lot of different things that I hear. That is what keeps me going, being relatable, being able to tell stories through you. I'm not making fun, that's the one thing I'm not. Some people say, oh, she's the one that's making fun on Instagram. I don't mean to make fun. I just want to be relatable and it's healing for me. Also, looking back, I have all these memories, Let me share it to people, let me make people laugh, laugh through trauma. That's how I always went through my life. For humor is the best dealmor in my opinion, then why I do want to close it. That one is a lot stronger. That one is a lot stronger. I fear that one day I am going to close it because of that. Not as secure as I may sound, take everything people say, and even more, like I said, I have a very loud inner critic. So if somebody tells me something, they're not telling me something. They're confirming something that I already know about myself. And I can't just not listen to it. And people are not nice. People are really not my A lot of things I delete, A lot of things are private, the things people send me. A lot of things are just so dumb. A lot of things hurt. A lot of things hurt. Eleve of them say like, I bet like your daughter is going to be more traumatized than you. You're ruining people's lives, You're ruining people's day. You soul this, You're so cringe you so that. Why would I keep posting when I don't even know why I'm doing it? It's not like I worked hard to get it. It just came into my lap. Why would I keep going when I get such comments? And it's also as a person that came from being rejected from my community, and I have anger towards the community, a lot of hate and betrayal towards the community.
Speaker 2: I want to get over that.
Speaker 1: But when I have Jewish fellow Jewish people continuing on to feed that anger, You're not helping me. You're not making me love you anymore. It's like, like you said, they're supposed to be, They're supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I have higher expectations from them. Yeah I shouldn't, but there is this disappointment.
Speaker 1: No, you should, you should. I'm twenty two years old, I'm a little kid. Yeah, I'm not even talking about that in appropriateness.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: There are certain things people say, like I bet your parents wish that you were never born, that you never existed. And yeah, not only me, my sisters get it too. So yeah, hate is not funny. I'm not built to take it yet. I hope that one day I will, but right.
Speaker 3: Now I'm not.
Speaker 1: And these cowards are hiding behind the screen and running someone. And my daughter's gonna grow up and she's gonna read these things to the thing, Oh what do you why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, don't listen. I totally understand. I get comments very often, and I am so much older than you. I could almost be your mom. Like, that's a lot, a lot of time to get comfortable in your own skin. And I can't imagine the place you're in. But even for me, I get these comments and I relate a lot to how you describe that inner critic. Critic is already there and it's being triggered, especially when it comes from from people who you've been so hyper sensitized in your childhood towards not being bad, and when they come out and they say you are bad, it touches that inner child that is cowering in there and trying to not be bad. And a lot of commenters will say, oh, don't pay attention to them, and they mean well, but they don't understand that there is a very loud voice inside of you that is paying attention and it just really really hurts. And I think I think really keeping going is the best way to to like learn to trust yourself that it's okay. It's okay. You don't have to run away and close your account. Your creative voice gives so many people comfort and joy, like you said, and and the horrible people hiding behind screens, it's just not worth. It's not worth giving them the power. Yeah, well, I hope that you know you keep you keep making people app I love comedians. I have comedians on all the time, and there's always the people who are like, this is not funny. Whatever. If you don't find it funny, go away. A lot of us find it funny.
Speaker 2: Like the amount of write down you could you could have just scrolled.
Speaker 1: Why are you watching? Why are you're staying enough to comment the comment on the nitty gritty, which means you've watched them more than once probably, And if I hit a nerve find out why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, as they say in therapy, Well, well, I am so grateful pest to you for sharing because a lot of what you shared I kind of feel your heart, like I feel like you've spoken so like from the heart, and I think it's really really important. So I hope you keep doing what you're doing making people smile. When my mother was in the hospital, I really changed my attitude towards my own work because I saw how much the people she follows kept her going, and I kind of told myself, you know what, if there are people in the hospital that I can keep going in the smallest ways, then it's worth it, and I think that you should also, and you're going to be literally treating people in your nursing profession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let you go now. I want to thank also the viewers on YouTube and the podcast listeners as well. I'm going to be linking to your Instagram on YouTube so that people can find you.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: They keep PESSI anything