Speaker 1: You're listening to why we do what we do? Welcome to why we do what we do?
Speaker 2: I am your attempting to be culturally sensitive Host Abraham.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I'm your I remember when this happened in the nineties, Host Shane.
Speaker 2: We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do, and sometimes we talk about the ways that we communicate with one another and the history of that and what it all means and where it sometimes was taken advantage of for various political motivations. But if you're joining us for the first time, then welcome. I hope that you enjoy what you hear in this discussion. And if you're a returning person, then thank you for checking us out again and hope that you keep coming back to listen to more stuff. Either way, if you found us, you're here. We appreciate that, And if you'd like to support us, you can do that in a variety of ways. You can leave us a rating in a review, like subscribe, tell a friend, join us on Patreon. I'll talk more about those things at the end of this discussion. But you're here, which is great, And it is June seventeenth, so Happy Bunker Hill Day.
Speaker 3: Sure, and this is I think our holiday Eat all your Veggies Day?
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It is Global garbage Man Day garbage person or is there a man who is like he is gar he is the garbage man, like Sanna the President of the United States.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, he is a garbage man.
Speaker 2: He is a garbage man. Yeah, yeah, made of garbage, spews garbage, lives in garbage.
Speaker 3: Jesus. But is it not nice to call him a garbage man because that's disparaging to people who actually work in like garbage reclamation work.
Speaker 2: Is that called good point sanitation sanitation? Yeah, they're much better. Well, so that's the thing is we would call them sanitation workers, I think, and they are better people than the garbage man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah exactly. It is lgbt Q I A plus Equal Pay Awareness Day.
Speaker 2: Oh it is Pride month, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Happy Pride months?
Speaker 2: Folks. Yeah, I don't think we mentioned this. Sorry, Yeah, that's that's great, that's very important. Good. Yes, National Apple Strudel Day.
Speaker 3: I love a good strudle carrying on, It's Stuart's Rootier Day, Love root Beer.
Speaker 2: Two Stuart's plu. Yeah, it is World Croc Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if that's the shoe or the animal, but I celebrate the animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure we should the shoes like needs a holiday, but okay, I mean I like their shoes.
Speaker 3: I gotta.
Speaker 2: They do make a good shoes.
Speaker 3: I've never worn one, so I'm am I missing out.
Speaker 2: They legit are good shoes. I mean, it's like no that they are. They are good shoes.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, all right, all right. It's World Day to Combat Desertificate, desert, desertification, desert, DESERTI fish cake and drought.
Speaker 2: It's one of those. It's one of those things. I mean, deserts are important ecosystems too. I mean I don't know that we should be trying to create them in places make more Yeah yeah, not in places that like a aren't already in that transition phase. But don't need to demonize deserts either. Anyway, moving on, it is Animal Rights Awareness Week. I love that there's so many of these.
Speaker 3: That's really ah, yeah, especially because we love animals. It's Islamic New Year.
Speaker 2: It is Learning Disabilities Week that's very important to us.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's yes. It's also National Clay Week, is National flag week. Interesting, that's National Hermit Week.
Speaker 2: And it's National Water Safety Week. And I think we're also between this episode and the next one. I think maybe the summer equinox happens. I'm not totally sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of things happening right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting right up to the longest day of the year. At this point, it's like it's in here somewhere.
Speaker 3: Even though in the United States every day feels like the longest day, given the current circumstances.
Speaker 2: It it really does. Every day was longer than the last one. Yes, yes, just is what it is. Okay, anyway, you are here, Thank you for joining us. This episode is going to attempt to discuss something called aave, which is an African American vernacular English, but there is a deep, rich history related to language development and black culture and so ultimately understand that this episode is going to be a tip of the Iceberg discussion. Like we're not going to cover as much as there is to cover, because there is a lot to cover, but we do want to try and get into it somewhat, and hopefully an outcome of this is we have peaked your curiosity enough that you go learn more about it because there are some great resources. Go check them out. There's a lot to talk about, because AAVE is a complex linguistic discussion and there is a long history related to how it has developed. So go seek those things out if you are curious about it, because we've given you enough of an appetite that you want to go learn more. I think there's a really cool history here to know.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely so. In this episode, we are going to learn what mister Burns, Nina Simone, Oakland, California, asl and Sligh all have in common.
Speaker 2: Perfect, perfect, Yeah, that's what I'm here for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, of course, the weird relational frames that we create as a result of this. Now, okay, there's a couple things I want to kind of unpack before we get really into the weeds in this, and I think it's really important for us to disclose at the end of the day. I mean, I'm going to disclose for myself at least I am a white man and we are speaking about this content, and so we encourage you if you are somebody who knows more about this, or has you know a particular history with this, or want to share stories about this particular topic. We would love to hear from you, because we are sharing this from and I we really tried to attempt to come at this from a very like academic, scholarly objective standpoint, but again, I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, and my perspective is also going to color this a little bit just by the very nature of my own identity. So I think it's important to kind of put that up front so that there are no surprises or shocks or anything like that. But hopefully we cover this the way that we want to cover this and at least open the doors for like Abraham said, some information information seeking for you.
Speaker 2: At least I also am a white man, and so yeah, I don't have I don't have the history, the culture, the experience to be talking about this as if I was ever immersed in a situation where I could speak to this from my own perspective. And as you said, like I think we have an audience demographic that largely reflects our own demographic, and that's understandable, and having another voice helped to share what is out there to learn about other cultures feels like a good gateway for you to find the creators who do belong to those cultures who have a lot more to say about this, to speak from their own personal experiences, So don't take us as an authority. We are here to hopefully to just be a vessel of communication to help get more information out there so that people can go learn from the people who really sort of lived this history and have a lot to say about it. So, yes, I think that's all very important, and I'm sure that you get into this, but I want to let people know when you hear us say something like African American vernacular English in the nineties, if you're around at that time, you probably heard this called something else, which was that it was called ebonics. There were probably other names for it, but there was a lot of discussion happening about this at the time. I think arguably there still has been some versions of this that have continued to play out. There probably was long before that, but that was I think the time when that sort of name and orientation to it in the zeitgeist was common and sort of a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are going to talk about that because the history of that, the word of bonics is really interesting. But just so just to kind of lay it out there, that is not the term that's used today to describe it from an academic Scholl always standpoint like a more technical space. And there's reasons why not just because it has like some connotations, but because it doesn't capture everything about AaB. Right, So just to kind of like spoil us a little bit, the big catalyst event that we are probably aware of happened in nineteen ninety six, ninety six, ninety seven, like right at the end of ninety six early ninety seven, when people were really starting to talk about this. Do you remember a lot about when this happened, like when people were really freaking out about this, and like the term of bonics and stuff like that started to show up in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Kind of yes, I mean I definitely remember hearing it discussed a bit, but I don't I don't remember like what events there were specifically around it. I think it was just a little more peripheral to what I was sort of hearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was thinking about this as I was writing the notes, and I just because learning histories I think are interesting. I remember when this came up, and I think I remember this being a bigger deal to me in my world because I went to a predominantly black middle school, and so there was a lot of discussion around the terminology and some of the statements and the phrases that were used. There were I mean large groups of I say large groups. So we didn't have a lot of a lot of white kids that went to our school, but the white kids that were there were pretty flippant about some of the phrases and the terms and stuff. And so they would start to kind of like take those terms and we're going to talk about kind of like what happens when you know, a group of people who don't belong to a particular culture used terms that don't belong to their culture and then kind of appropriate it and whatnot. And that was happening a lot. What seemed to be occurring at my school was there was a lot of mockery around this, or a lot of dismissiveness around this from like the white population towards the black student body. I remember that being very present in my middle school days because those three years I went to a middle school that was, like in my town, was the predominantly black middle school. It just seemed like it was really in our faces for many years as a result of this particular, like the event that we're gonna talk about. In the nineties, it just seemed like it was like right there in front of us the entire time.
Speaker 2: Nineties ads were always in your face too.
Speaker 3: Oh god, some of them were good, though, Crossfire was pretty pretty rad.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back. We've been setting up sort of the preamble here because we want to just lay out the history. I think we want to where we have personal connection to this, which is not a ton because we didn't really grow up in the culture there were, you know, being able to reflect that in our discussion, but also like just sort of where we're gonna start by laying out a lot of the definitions, the descriptions, and then some history here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, so I think that there is a lot to unpack, and I think the one thing I want to start with is talking about and laying some groundwork around the linguistic part of this. So to ensure that we've got our terms to find. I love good definitions. There are three terms that are used that are often used when when people are talking about studying AAVE, and that's dialect, ethn elect and socio elect Okay, So dialect is specifically a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation from other regional varieties and constutent together with them a single language. So dialects often refer to like variations of a particular language, not not as simple as like accents. Accents and dialects are a little bit different, like an accent is like the way that something is nunciated. But like, for example, Spanish dialects across South America are very different, like when you talk about Puerto Rican, South America and Central America, I should say, because you've got Mexican Spanish that has a little bit of a different feel, different language, different words, different meanings versus like Chilean or Argentinian. Like, there are differences there, and that's what we talk about with dialect. Dialect is not not a difference between somebody from Boston versus somebody from from South Florida talking you know and having a different twang. That's accent, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dialect is a is like very much so a difference in the language.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, almost like its own standalone version of that language. Yes, both a lot of cognates too, Yeah. Ethnelect is a language variety specific to a particular ethnic or cultural group. And so then you're talking about sort of similar to a dialect, I guess in a sense, is a way that a language sort of becomes incorporated into an ethnic group. I'm not sure if this totally counts, but like I visited Jamaica once and there they they speak English because of colonization, but it has sort of turned into it's there's like this own version of English there that is unique to the Jamaican people that I wonder if that qualifies as an ethnolect. Yeah, because they have a lot of their own words and like ways of saying things that if you don't know what like the history behind those, if you don't know that culture, it doesn't you wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying someone who's just sort of speaking maybe American English or you know, probably like England English.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, I think I think that that aligns because I think that the ethnic elect part of that is like Black Caribbean is part of that. Like, so you're going to have those influences across many of the islands and whatnot. Okay, And there's a reason why this is important, and we're going to get to that in a second. Okay, So, like we're not just saying like, oh, this language belongs to groups. There's also soci elect and social elect is a specific dialect, jargon or slang used by a particular social group, So that refers to class systems and whatnot. So at this point in time, we've got dialect, which is the language itself that's kind of derived from from all these different things. Ethn elect is language to a particular ethnic group, and socio elect is language related to a particular social group. Those three things always come up when we talk about AAVE, and there's a reason why.
Speaker 2: This sort of a mid Atlantic accent. It feels like the select Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, all right. So, African American Vernacular English or AAVE is a dialect of American English, also sometimes known as Black English Vernacular or controversially at bon X. Oh this actually, this reminds me of the thing I wanted to say earlier. Okay, there you go, yes, which is one of the things we have brought up multiple times when we talk about being sort of politically correct in this show, is it's like it's not always just like there's an element of it that's like, don't be addic to other humans, and that is a relevant consideration. But a lot of the times when we're pointing out like why a term is being changed or abandoned is because it's inaccurate, right, it doesn't include things, or it includes too many things or whatever it is, it's just is not an accurate description. So it's like it is in a f effective communication to describe it this way. And that's why like slurs are often like it's not just that it's like rude and inappropriate, it's also like not an accurate way, and it could be misleading if you don't actually know the real information. So anyway, that's another reason like that we get on that is that like let's not be dicks to each other and let's be accurate in our communication if we can. Yeah, So anyway, we were talking about here. Controversially it was also called a bonics and then is Black English vernacular, but we're sort of calling it African American vernacular English for the purposes of this discussion.
Speaker 3: Right, So, like we mentioned, the term a bonics is not the current use we use aave. There are lots of reasons why ultimately that precise language is what matters. And I will say, like, historically a bonics was and we're going to talk about the history of the term a bonics and where it comes from. It comes from a black psychologist and linguistics professor, so like it was coined by members of the group. But it just is not complete as we know it today. It's just not complete. So what makes AAVE unique is that it is the result of an intersection of varying demographics. Members of the black community, members of the working class community, and the middle class community in America. So you've got three different identities there, Black, working class slash middle class and Americans. Those three intersections together have created the kind of perfect conditions in which AAVE starts to emerge and exist. And there's a history with that. But that's why it's called a dialect is because it does pertain to a specific ethnographic and sociographic group of people.
Speaker 2: Got it. That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, So one important point to note at the top of this discussion is that AAV is not slang. I think you might hear this and think that, oh it's slang. It's like altered version of language or something where it's they're just sort of speaking colloquially or off the cuff, but rather it actually has unique linguistic properties related to grammar and structure. We'll cover that in a bit, but I think people might hear this and think, oh, we're just talking about sling, but that's actually not what it is. It is its own sort of evolved vocabulary.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And another important note here is that AAV is not a monolithic dialect for everyone who is black. I can't believe that we have to say this. It's exhausting to say, I'm sure, and I'm sure it's exhausting for members of the community to say as well, and to hear sometimes and to hear sometimes. But I think it's really important to note that it's not a monolithic dialect. Just because somebody is black does not mean that they are using AAVE. It's like saying that, like, everyone who's white speaks with a Southern accent, like I would encourage you all to use your noggins, folks, like. And again, accent is not not necessarily the same thing as dialect. But it is really important to note that AAVE is not at all like representative of every single person who is black. That shouldn't be a stretch to think about. But people really have a hard time with that. They equate those things and it's that's not a logical equation.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, just understanding those important things, or as users sort of saying, and like, assuming that everyone who's white speaks of the mid Atlantic accent, it looks like we would. You might look at us and expect those sounds to come out of our face. But yeah, not a monolith.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we love history here, so we're gonna get into the history. So, as of this episode, the origins of AAVE are closely linked to British colonization of the United States and American slavery. Surprise, surprise. Sure, it is believed to have begun in Virginia and Maryland, quickly moving to the Carolinas and Georgia during this time.
Speaker 3: However, it is largely debated. What has generally agreed upon is that the dialect is largely shaped by varying African languages and Creole variations. So this mixed with American English aided in the development of AAVE. So you've got groups of people who come to the United States, forced to come to United States with their own languages that are learning English and learning the like as a result of being forced into these spaces. You've got Creole, You've got many languages coming in from Caribbean islands. You've got all these different kinds of You've got French influence and English influence, which you're going to talk about later. All of those things are coming together to create kind of this like unique soup or stew that is ave. And you can kind of see that a little bit, which is really really fascinating. But I think it's when it comes to language and we talk about language in general, like we talked about in the American accent and the English accent, there are so many sources of information that come together that create this kind of like unique thing that happens, which is the way that people talk. Another example I kind of really think about too, is like how the Internet has shaped a lot of our language, and like that unique culture and that unique space, that unique variable, I should say, yeah, has really influenced the way that we talk to one another and how we communicate in writing and stuff like that. It's really I think valuable to look at language and look at where all those unique pieces that kind of shape it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's kind of funny too. Do you think about the internet communication that has developed, where people will something that might be more effective to communicate via text using like abbreviations is actually harder to say in abbreviations that you're saying that loud, Like there's fewer syllables to just say the words that those abbreviations represent, and yet people will still speak in abbreviation. So it's not about efficiency, it's just about culture that sort of exists. And not to say that that we're describing with aav is inefficient, just to say that, like, it just evolves a way that it evolves, sure, and sometimes that it just looks different ways. Arguably, all languages have sort of developed this way where you just have a mix of variables with a lot of input and influence, and that change over time. As we describe, part of what happened with English turning into the accented British sort of English that we hear now came a lot from French influences and from classism, which is one thing we did an episode on that recently. You can go back and check out Anyway I digress therefore, ads.
Speaker 3: And adds as an example of language is shaped up because it's easier to say than advertisements.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is true. All right, So getting into it, we've been talking about the history here of AAVE and now getting into the term of bonics. And this was actually originally used in nineteen seventy three by a group of black scholars. Doctor Robert Williams combined the words ebony and phonics to attempt to create a respectful term for the study of a a ve so ebeni phonics at bonics YEP. A brief discussion of doctor Robert Lee Williams. Boy, I almost thought for a second, said Robert E. Lee, And I was like, who named this person that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Anyway, discussion of doctor Robert Lee Williams the second. He was a professor emeritus of psychology and African and Afro American Studies at the Washington University in Saint Louis. He was a staunch critic of racial and cultural biases in IQ testing. We did an episode on that many years ago and went on to develop IQ test sensitive to cultural variations, including the Black and Diligence Test of cultural homogeneity.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think that there's something really valuable in understanding that the term of bonics was created by members of the black community. And I think it's also important to break it apart and understand that it comes from black sound, right, phonics, like so black ebony phonics or you know, like the you know, the way that we say something or the way it sounds like. That's and that's why it's not complete today, right, because ave includes grammar and syntax and structure and not just the sounds, but also all the things that go along with it, which is why it's not accurate to use a bonics today when we're talking about this, and that's why it is an old term, right. Okay, So I'm sure that you picked that up as we were talking about this, but I think it's really important to.
Speaker 2: Say no, no, that's great. I'm glad you clarified.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, in nineteen seventy nine, a lawsuit was filed on behalf of black children and Ann Arbor, Michigan. They were elementary school students an Arbor decision, this is what it was called the n Arbor Decision. It upheld that the school was not providing adequate education to black students at the school due to their inability to recognize their home language, which they described in this lawsuit as Black English.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was the first educational lawsuit of its time where the school was basically just saying, Oh, we're not accounting for this language that. We're not accounting for the way that our students are speaking. We're not accounting for the unique ways and influences that language is showing up in our English classes. We're trying to teach English classes, but we're having a hard time teaching them because they're using different grammar and syntax and structure, and so we are basically doing a disservice to these students. And it was upheld this was a lawsuit that did make a difference and actually improve educational services for many of the students in the area.
Speaker 2: Wow, that seems like really early for something like that to have worked.
Speaker 3: Also, right, I was like impressed by how early it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay. A couple decades later, on December eighteenth, nineteen ninety six, AAVE was brought into the mainstream culture and the form of a resolution filed in California the Oakland Unified School District pastor resolution that AAVE would be used as a teaching option in standard English courses. This resolution also aim to provide resources to teachers to help learn about AAVE and how to best support its use in the classroom. You know, sort of somewhat related to this and what I do. We do a lot of academic instruction as primarily sort of the job that I have. It's a lot of remediation. But in our practice, we have some standardized tests that we use that have been around for quite a while. But some of them what's kind of interesting because as language changes and evolves over time, there are some of them where you have to as part of the test, like select the correct word to complete ascendence. And interestingly, some of them have pronouns as options, and so kids have started choosing they instead of he or she because it might not be specifying who the person is talking about. And so the the sort of neutral selected pronoun is they instead, and the answer key you lists this as an incorrect answer. But we've sort of just adopted as a rule that it's like this is no longer a culturally relevant way to score this, so any option that can be counted as correct, I'm an account is correct because that is technically as they're using their language a correct answer, and so it's kind of interesting that those tests were even designed with that as like a distinction. They felt that was so important that it needed to have a scoring criteria attached to it in the form of a standardized test.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then, and I've sort of been the position that I'm like, well, that's just not how they how we speak anymore. So it's like, that's just not a relevant distinction to make.
Speaker 3: Right, Absolutely, I would implore anybody who's working in a helping profession who's using a standardized test to always be critical about the standardized test itself and whether or not it accurately represents current social norms, whether or not it accounts for cultural variation, which in psychology many of them do not. As a matter of fact, I know we talked about these types of tests before, but I'm going to get on a soapbox for a second. Many of the tests that we use are normed to college aged white men, who are generally neurotypical and do not account for the majority of the populations, and psychology has gone so far as to develop uniquely culture specific standardized tests because of the fact that all of the standardized tests that are often used and widely accepted are not normed to populations that they're serving. I think it's always valuable and I'm going to stress this to all the behavior analysts that are listening to this too, is it is worth evaluating the standardized test that we use in our field because most of them are normed to white autistic male children. Most of them are. And so when you go look at the standardization and like the VB MAP, shocker, it is standardized to white male children with autism. So just an important feature of understanding this as we explore and why we explore why this resolution from the Oakland Unified schol disc was so valuable for this class because the curriculum that was being used for the English class was not normed to the population that was being served, right, okay, so and many times educational standards are missing that too. So shockingly the school district puts out this resolution which is going to allocate money and time and resources to teachers and help support students. The US blows their skin lid over it. For those of you who don't know how the US works, something will happen in another state and then somebody who doesn't live in that state will be very upset about it. Like the amount of people that are furious about what's happening in New York who don't live in New York is absurd right now, Like mayor Mom, Donnie is doing some really cool things and really, like I mean from a legislative standpoint, doing some really great things and really changing the face of New York at least from my perspective. Yeah, it seems like yeah, and there are people in Alabama who are losing their minds over it. But this is what happens, Like politics have become such an identity thing that like they're furious about that, and apparently it's in the case forever.
Speaker 2: Well, to be fair, like Texas goes about banning books and Florida goes about banning books, and people I think rightfully lose their mind when they impose those things. So sure, it's not necessarily the fact that it's one state commenting on another, but it's like the fact that people aren't stopping to consider sort of the relevance here and like why this matters. It's like it just becomes it's a lightning rod to attract fear and get people riled up. That people use to try and like push a hate agenda. Yeah, that I think is maybe the complaint that we would have because yeah, I'm like, you know, the problem with the censorship of burning books in these conservative places where they hate education and intelligence is that like it robs everybody else there of their ability to learn and succeed and thrive, right, because they're doing as a form of oppression, whereas in this particular situation, they're what they were trying to do is be more inclusive and accessible, and like that's what people are freaking out about it. I'm like, if you are mad about more people having better access to things, you are on the wrong team, right, You are incorrect, and you're on the losing side of history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, objectively. So yeah, so this happens, so they file the resolution, everybody loses their minds. It gets to a national level, federal level. And the argument was that using AAV and this is just from the argument that people were making against it, right, They were arguing that using AAV was a drop in standards for English classes, okay, which that's a different conversation. And they called the dialect lazy and broken, quote unquote lazy and broken. So a lot of it. This comes from and I'm sure that you're picking up on this already, it comes from a racist and class of space where like using language is a way to oppress people, and this happens. We did an episode on names where where people would apply for jobs and they would use what could be considered quote unquote ethnic name, and they were not getting the same jobs even though they were overqualified compared to white names. And so this is just another way that people are using education standards to oppress groups of people. Instead of you know, raising the tide so all the boats could raise with the tide, you know what I mean, all they were doing was going, no, we're not going to do this, and it's a problem.
Speaker 2: So a week after the resolution passed, Secretary Riley of the US Department of Education or DOE RIP DOE, they made a public statement in indicating that AAVE was not a foreign language and dismissed the movement by the school, making a distinction between like a foreign language and like a dialect. I guess anyway. This was quickly followed by a group of linguists who issued their own public statement characterizing AAV as its own distinct dialect. Differing in many important ways from the other sort of what you might call American standard English, that those they were otherwise sort of contacting and being exposed to, or maybe a better way is being said is having it forced down their throat when that wasn't the way that they communicated.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah, absolutely, So I want to remind everybody this is nineteen ninety six. So this is the year that Green Days Insomniac comes out, which is their best record. This is the year that Ska breaks. So now you've got the SKA movement starts right before like the Latin music explosion occurs too, right, So, like there's a lot of things happening in the United States. We haven't got quite gotten to the future yet. And this is nineteen ninety six, the Clinton administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think Jurassic Park two maybe came out this year.
Speaker 3: Jurassic Park two comes out, which is lovely in fight Glove or maybe that Fight Club. Yeah that might have been. Yeah, I don't know, it's hard to say. You know, the nineties were strange, But I bring this up because, like when we talk about the political climate at the time, this was the Clinton administration. This was not an arguably a conservative or Republican administration. This was a Democratic centrist administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So with that information, I would like to introduce you to an ad so you can suck on that for a second, and then we're going to come back and talk about this Richard w Riley, who was the Secretary of the DOE.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back. We're continuing through the history here and the resolution that a school board passed to recognize and install some infrastructure for using a AVE in the classroom and then that being rejected by a Democrat Secretary Riley.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I would like to share some quick background on Secretary Richard w Riley because I think it's important to the players in this situation. Yeah, Richard Dick w Riley. So, interestingly enough, Riley was a Democrat working underneath the Clinton administration at the time of this statement that he made that said that AAVE was not its own foreign language. He was actually named one of the top ten best cabinet members in US history by Time magazine. Wow, and here's why. He Actually he had some accomplishments. So one thing that he did during his time as the Secretary of DOE He's made Internet and telephone pricing affordable for public schools so that people could access stuff at the schools, which I don't understand why it's not free, who knows, But like that's a different problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess it's something better than nothing, but better.
Speaker 3: Than nothing, it's a move in the right direction. I think he developed a direct student loan program in federal student loans, which didn't exist before, So like that was also maybe not so bad, not great, but like a move in the and it's kind of been bastardized since then. He advocated and actually allocated resources to providing additional training and support for teachers so they had better training for their jobs, and he took steps to strengthen provisions in the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act or IDEA Act. So he did do a lot of things that were seemingly good for the education space. It just so happened that one image I found of him makes him look like mister Burns. And despite all of his accomplishments, his stance on AAV was clearly a misstep. So people can accomplish good things and still mess up. And I think that's a really important thing to note that, you know, while he did some things that seemed great. He did like it looked like mister Burns himself, which was horrifying to pull up his picture and he messed up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, people are complicated. Most people are not just one thing, and they often have a lot of things going on. Except Stephen Miller, to that man is pure evil.
Speaker 3: Please tell me you saw the response from the Democratic Twitter response It called him the ugly. Their response from the official Twitter was shut up, you ugly.
Speaker 2: I did not, but I did see Hunter Biden's response to something about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, also great, also.
Speaker 2: Great, yes, which have been very entertaining. Yes, yes, yes, so all right. Well followed the January nineteen ninety seven was a series of political maneuvers where resolutions were passed stating AAVE was not distinct, stating aave distinctions were absurd a strong word, and then hearings occurred through March nineteen ninety seven. Unfortunately, the resolution did not stand due to the intense national backlash.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Ultimately, what the school landed on was that they were using it as supplemental material instead and not as like formal structure and like optional supplemental material. So it became an optional thing for teachers, rather than being something that was going to be required. Now, now here's the thing. Movements like this and resolutions like this, they often are a single spark that ignites a flame. Right, So, while this original resolution didn't pass, it did lay groundwork for a more academic study and scholarly work around AAV for the next several decades. So there were actually several legal precedents that occurred, like not right after, but pretty soon after that included AAVE specifically. One of them was the United States versus Arnold in two thousand and seven. Hey Arnold, Hey Arnold. I love that show. So they actually highlighted the problem with dialectical misunderstanding. Specifically, there was like a criminal case, and as a result of this criminal case, the charges were dropped because the dialectical misunderstanding came down to AAVE grammar tense, which we're going to talk about and I think at this point in time, we're going to do a second part of this episode, yeah, because I think it's going to take a little bit of time to do that. But the grammar tense was misinterpreted in the court of law, and as a result, there were some new precedents set around understanding and recognizing AAV as its own dialectical process.
Speaker 2: Wow, uh huh, so that's two thousand and seven. In twenty sixteen, Rickford and King wrote extensively about the lack of translation support among jurors and stenographers, which ultimately led to unfair trials where AAVE was used. And so you can see, like when it starts getting into the devil's in the details thing here, it starts becoming clear why it's important to consider these things and not just dismiss them as people were trying to do so. Trayvon Martin's case was used as an example where Rachel Well I, I don't remember this name.
Speaker 3: Gene tells, I think gent Tel.
Speaker 2: Gentell's sorry, where Rachel john Tell's testimony was perceived as incomprehensible due to the jury's ignorance of a a VE dialect, meaning that that testimony could not be really effectively used and in part because of the fact that there was so much misunderstanding and lack of education around that dialect that did exist and was being treated as if it didn't.
Speaker 3: Yes, And the reason that it was incomprehensible was not because of what she was saying it was because there were no translators or supports or resources around AVE to make it comprehensible to the jury. So at the end of the day, it wasn't her fault that her testimony couldn't be understood. It was a system's issue. Whenever people say language barriers, it always drives me nuts. It's like the language barrier is on the service or the system. The language barrier is not on the person who's speaking the language. Like in a situation, she's speaking what she was taught and what she's fluent in, and the system around her was not supportive in understanding and providing resources to ensure that it was translated or correctly shared. Right, And that actually goes into another study. In twenty nineteen, there was a study that found that forty percent of sentences transcribed by Philadelphia stenographers were inaccurate and specifically related to AAVE with ultimately an eighty three percent word accuracy. And you might be going, well, eighty three percent word accuracy sounds pretty decent. Stenographers are certified at ninety five percent accuracy or greater. If they don't have ninety five percent accuracy or greater, then it is not a usable transcription. So at this point in time, it's just they've lost so much of the language in these transcriptions.
Speaker 2: Also, I make the jokes sometimes because I talk about how like eighty percent as like a criteria for mastery is just asinine to me. I'm like, try listening to or understanding language that is eighty three percent accurate. I you heard this podcast with seventeen percent of the words like just garbled or mashed or replaced with something else, Like, it would be incomprehensible. You wouldn't be able to understand a huge amount of what was being said. Like, that level of accuracy is just it is ineffective for communication. So if they're transcribing court testimony in these documents in this way with that level of accuracy, like it's going to be so inaccurate it will not be able to be understood by looking at historical records.
Speaker 3: Right, and ultimately, if it's not understood, it can't be reviewed again in the event of an appeal or a retrial or in the case of like setting a precedent for future legal cases. Like if you can't understand what is being discussed or transcribed in the court, it's lost and again it speaks to an unbalanced system where the legal system benefits certain groups of people and it unfairly maligns and sets people back who don't belong to that demographic. And so that's just another example of how how our legal system screws people over.
Speaker 2: It certainly raises some concerns about the fairness of the trial that they received, too, if like the if the testimonies, if what was described and what happened what transpired in that courtroom was not accurately captured, like, was it also inaccurately understood at the time that the communication took place, right, And we've already seen a couple of examples where that definitely happened, which means there probably are a lot more like we're seeing some like that's just barely scratching the.
Speaker 3: Surface one percent.
Speaker 2: All right, we have a ton of things to talk about, including understanding the various characteristics of AAVE and how that works. So we are going to turn this into a two parter. We thought that that was a possibility, but I didn't know for sure that's that's where we would be. But it's a it's great. So this will be a part one next time. We'll come back with a part two. We'll jump into, as we said, some of the characteristic features, looking at this from sort of a scientific view and unpacking it and then getting into, of course, some interesting tidbits if you will, tid boints, as we sometimes like to call them. Yes, yes, yes, So thank you for joining us for this one. Please come back for part two so you can hear the things that you might have been wondering this whole time, Like it is like what so we've been talking about Aeve. What is that like? We'll tell you next time, so come back around in the meantime. If you would like to support us, you can join us on Patreon, leave us a rating and review, like subscribe, or tell a friend. All of those things really help us out, and we do appreciate anything that you are willing and able to do to help us be a podcast, reach a nice audience, get ad revenue, and just generally communicate with people. Because we do this because we're trying to like be educational. We're trying to provide a free service out there to people to just you know, do some some teaching things. People who have taken the leap and really helped us do this are our patrons. They receive some bonus content early episodes, add free episodes, and we also at the end of each of our full lengths, we'll shout them out for just being wonderful people and helping us do our things. So a giant shout out thank you and welcome to not welcome, but just thank you to Mike, em Omegan, Mike t, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian, Ashley, Kiara, and Charlie. Thank you all for continuing to help us do our thing.
Speaker 3: Y'all are lovely, all right.
Speaker 2: We actually do like to end our discussions with some recommendations. If you have not been with us before, that might come up as a surprise that we're going to do the credits, and then we recommend some things that are just fun, but things that have brought us joy recently, so stick around through those. But I'd like to tell you first that I cannot do this without the help of my team writing and fact checking from Shane and myself. Thank you for recording with me today, Shane, and for your fantastic work on these notes.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you. I really tried hard on this one. I mean not that I don't try hard at all of them, but I try.
Speaker 2: To know this one and uh oh yeah. Our social media coordinator is Emma Wilson. And the person who stitches all of this together, including long pauses where I'm thinking very hard but not saying anything that does not end up in the final episode. Luckily for you, it is justin our God Emperor producer extraordinary wonder kind, yes, who is so good at his job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just a gem.
Speaker 2: All right. If you'd like to tell us your thoughts on aav you can write to us directly by emailing us at info at WWDWWD podcast, and on the social media platforms, and we do look forward to hearing from you. I think with that we're ready to transition to some recommendations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Recommendations.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna recommend a book. It's a short book. It's a collection of short stories. So if you do not like short stories, then grow up. Short stories are fun. No, You're allowed to like what you like. So this is an author I've always really enjoyed because I think he does a really great play. He's a great satirical author. His name is David Saidaris and the book I'm recommending is Holidays on ice. Yes it is June. Yes, these stories are about Christmas. And yes, I've had this book for like twenty years and just finally read it. So he does these short stories, and he's known for being i mean, very cutting, but very very satirical. One of the stories I was telling Abraham before the show was about two neighbors who were trying to like, you know, outdo each other giving on Christmas, to the point where they end up giving away their kids and their lungs and like their scalps and stuff like just very ridiculous and over the top. He tells a story about how he worked as a Christmas elf during Christmas at Macy's in New York and how ridiculous that was. And some of the stories, and all of his stories are very silly and very I feel like they have a There's some of it that's like right, you know, there's a sense of cynicism that goes along with some of them. But when he writes about his family, there's always like this like adoration that goes along with the weirdness that is his family. There's one there's one story in here called Dinah, the Christmas whore, and it's about how her his sister, his sister has to go pick up her friend from work who is a sex worker, and how they go pick her up and like get her out of this abusive situation, and then the family just has like all these questions about what it means to be a sex worker, and how the whole family comes together and just has the best time with her. So like it's it's one of those things where it's like they're all kind of unified in their weirdness, which is a lot of fun. And it just I don't know, I just really enjoy David Sedara's stories, and I feel like if you have a sense of humor and you have strange families, then I think you'll appreciate it.
Speaker 2: The name caught me off guard, but the name of that short story, yeah yeah, yeah, uh huh yep. So cool. All right, very intrigued. I do enjoy me some short stories, and I would be curious to check this one out. I'm recommending an album that actually came out maybe like seven or eight months ago. I forget when it's been out for less than a year. But this is Hailey Williams, one of her solo albums.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I really like Paramore and generally they're my preference, but Hailey Williams put out this album called Ego Death at a Bachelorette Party, and man, this album is so good.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 2: I have just been listening to it like over and over and over again. It is fantastic. So and the sort of the title track on here has a music video that's very weird and fun and is an enjoyable tune as well. So I would say most of the tracks on this album I really really really like, and there's like five or six that is always have in my head these days. But yeah, so strong recommend is Hailey Williams Ego Death at a Bachelorette Party. Right now. The song I've been listening to the most is called Love Me Different. My other favorite on here is called Whim Disappearing Man is really good. Ego Death at a Bachelorette Party is really good. There's just great tracks on here, so anyway, go check that one out. It is it's long in the sense that I think there's like eighteen tracks, but all of them are like three minutes, so it's not Yeah, they're not super long songs. For the most part well, and.
Speaker 3: She does an excellent cover, a shockingly great cover of Discovery Channel by Bloodhound Game.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, Yeah, she totally does. And it's like it makes the Dare I say it makes the original song better?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it's very strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I probably wouldn't choose that song. But then you hear her singing, You're like, oh, this is this is this is nice? Nice?
Speaker 3: I wait I heard it and I went, I know this song? Why do I know this song? And then it got to the chorus and I went, oh.
Speaker 2: No, middle school, that's yeah, middle school.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. It blew my mind. I was like, this is this is absurd? But she does a great job with it. Yeah it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's fantastic. All right. So that is Shane's recommendation. David Sidaris a book of short stories called Holidays on Ice, and then Hayley Williams solo album Ego Death at a Bachelorette Party. Anyway, I think that's what I would say about those things. Anything you'd like to add that I forgot before we say our goodbyes.
Speaker 3: Nope, I think that covers it. Cool.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for listening. Check us out next week for the part two of this.
Speaker 3: But this is Abraham and this is Shane.
Speaker 2: We're out.
Speaker 3: See yup, you've been listening to Why We Do What We Do.
Speaker 1: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to wwdwwdpodcast dot com.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day.