Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: What's going on, everybody, and welcome to another live episode of Reconnected. It's Thursday, and I am super stoked to be here with somebody that I've been following for a couple of years at least now, and I know that feeling's mutual. This is the screenwriter, mister Andreas Peterson.
Speaker 3: How are we doing, sir, good? How are you doing good to be here?
Speaker 4: I am, I'm well, it's nice to see you.
Speaker 2: For those that have not seen the thumbnail, first I read the description. Andreas is the screenwriter for a couple of films that have come out through OCN distribution over the last couple of years. We've got Attack of the Demons, which was released by Dark Star Pictures, and then the quite recent cartooner release that was just an April type Really am The second one is when you get to the forest, so stoked.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad you're here. This is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it's as I've mentioned to you like many times, Like even just seeing Disconnected like announced those disc releases was sort of like a pinch me moment for me because I've been following for so long, so it was very cool.
Speaker 4: I don't get to feel like a celebrity often, so thank you. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: I guess the big thing we got to go into these movies first, tell everybody about Attack of the Demons, because these are these are two quite unique films when you hear titles like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the two movies that I got that I have written that have been made. The first one was Attack of the Demons, and both of these movies were directed and animated by the Austin based animator Eric Power, who works in construction paper animation like stop motion. And so our first movie that we made together was Attack of the Demons, which was our kind of send up of you know, Bava's Demons or you know, like sort of like super goofy eighties horror like pseudo comedies. And so we got that. We that came out in twenty twenty, and it was just sort of like this, you know, very long process of getting it made. So Eric is the lone animator on the movies, and so we spent like three years kind of trying to muster a budget together and eventually like just got crossed over that finish line of getting into production, and then he spent the next two years animating it and then yeah, we did finally came out in twenty twenty, and you know, we were It was very that it was a very crazy experience for that to be like my first movie that ever got made, just sort of like because I had always you know, I think every screen writer has these ideas of what their career will be, and I, you know, I always envisioned that, you know, it would be such a fast process, and I never I never knew that I was gonna kind of start off my career writing animated films, and and it was just this incredibly slow, laborist process where Eric was sending me like clips that he was he'd be like, okay, I spent you know, two weeks on this, here's three minutes of footage, right, and but yeah, it was it was It was a lot of fun. It was are That's a definitely uh a movie. I'm very happy with. I albeit definitely watch it now and be like, oh, yeah, that's definitely my first movie.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, one thing that's really cool to be able to go through your social media and see some of these things is like your first reaction to seeing a poster outside a theater of a movie that you made, or just being able to see that it's getting a physical media release. So tell me about a couple of those first experiences, Like how does it feel to make your first film?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's it's crazy. I mean I remember when we when Attacked the Demons premiered, That premiered at cin Apocalypse in Chicago in twenty nineteen, and that was the first time I had ever had a movie in any sort of film festival or anything like that. And I remember going to the Music Box Theater, which is where the festival was, and just like seeing the name on the marquee and it was just it was insane, Like I still have not gotten over that, Like I even just like I remember when Attack of the Demons got announced by Dark Star and it was going to be released through Vinegar Syndrome or through Vinegar Vinegar Syndrome cyd O CN like I again, like I had been a fan of Vinegar Syndrome for so long. I like I it was it was funny. I donated to their kickstarter that like was before Vinegar Syndrome was Vinegar Syndro when they were doing those restorations of those lost Herschel Gordon Lewis movies, and like I still have like that email I brought I when when we were announced on Vinegar Syndrome, Like I found that email and was like when I contributed to the Kickstar and stuff. So it's just like very I don't know, very serendipitous and cool, and I still don't get over it. Like I still like I remember going to the draft house Alamo draft House in Austin where when you get to the Forest played some it played a couple of showings as part of their like World of Animation series, and even then that was the first time I'd ever been to an Alamo draft House and like seeing the poster like in the hallway with like all these other you know, I don't know, amazing just current releases and stuff, and like I don't know, it's just I'm I'm still very much in that phase where like I get so caught up in like the emotions of seeing that stuff that it hasn't gotten old to me like at all yet. I'm still it hasn't worn out. It's welcome.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: Was Attack of the Demons the first film that you did anything on or because I know that wasn't Eric's first film, was it.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't so Eric. Yeah, Eric's first movie was a samurai movie also cut paper animation called a Path of Blood and actually Sinnaps that is the one. Yeah, Sinnaps put that out and that's a great I mean, I love that movie, and uh that was so Attack of the Demons was my first like movie, my first feature that ever got made, and the first I don't know, real real not just sort of like dicking around short movie that I ever made.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal. And then to be able to have it make an impact. And these things are special. Like when you say construction paper, for those that haven't seen a clip of this or the trailer or.
Speaker 4: Anything, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Because my god, like trying to explain that it's so much more beautiful than you can prepare yourself for on these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Like so Eric Eric is a wizard. Like have I got to visit his studio when I went out for those draft House screenings because yeah, he's based in Austin and so like he, I cannot believe the stuff that he accomplishes with just cut out construction paper, and I know Eric will kill me for making this evoking this comparison. But I think the best like touchstone that there is for people is it is very similar to how early South Park was made. And so it is just he cuts out the shapes and construction paper and then moves them around. It's almost like puppetry and just takes picture after picture after picture after picture, and it is just a laboris process. And also Eric is very very old school. He does not want anything. Everything you see in the movies is real, like he it exists on his table, like he doesn't use computer generated graphics for anything, like all the sort of like particle effects and sand effects and shadow effect and everything is actual, like something that he has layered on top of on his studio table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible, and that that's the thing with this is it's it's clearly animation in the classic sense of the word, but it's this amazing like tactile feeling as you're watching this that it's it's like something that you can reach out in touch, which is such a different experience for those that are not, you know, immersed in animation quite often. So I love stuff like this and just like you know, pushing the medium to the edge that people aren't prepared for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, And I mean like he he he works a lot with like again, like he's he's very particular about wanting to create that sort of tactile feel and like the way because like a lot of the stuff he does is like water painted, and like he'll he'll add like you know, he'll kind of wet the paper a little bit to add texture to it, and it's just I don't know, it's it's nothing I ever would have imagined as like you know, again sort of going beyond something something like South Park where that you know, served the purpose of what that show was. But like, I don't know, I've just I always admired his ability to just sort of take that medium and just run with it. And even even since we made When You Get to the Forest, I've seen some of the test footage that he's doing for what we're hoping is going to be our next feature together, and it's unbelievable. Like the stuff he does, like the way he's like capturing dimension and lighting now is just like I cannot believe it, Like I can't believe the stuff's accomplishing.
Speaker 4: Well, what about you did you set out to write.
Speaker 2: An animated film or do you have a different thing in mind when you first got started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I definitely didn't, and so my I guess it's not that I like ever had anything against it. It was just that, like growing up and like starting out as a wannabe screenwriter, just sort of wrote what I wanted to see as a movie and it was there. So there was a script I wrote in twenty I want to say twenty fourteen that I wrote for a screwed writing class that I was taking, and I it was a very not great script that was sort of like it was like Critters meets like Teddy Bears, Like it was about stuffed Teddy Bears sort of an overrunning a town. And like I wrote that just thinking like, yeah, this would be a fun, like live action movie. And then when it got kind of found by a producer, he that producer envisioned it as an animated movie and that's where he introduced me to Eric, and so ever since then I've been working like in close collaboration with Eric, and so that's you know why the projects I have gotten the most, you know, the furthest down the line and actually produced have all been animated. Nice.
Speaker 4: So what about your your general taste for films? What are you into? Do you what do you love to watch? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I am I love It's such a hackney to answer, but I love everything so much. I find that like I'm the most fulfilled when I am like having a very wide variety of movies. Like I hate getting into a mode where I'm watching like the same thing over and over again, whether it's you know, just kind of watching nothing but horror, nothing like nothing but you know, uh drama, nothing but sci fi, and like it's kind of funny, like I always, I mean, we all do it. Like when October rolls around, we're all just watching horror movies. Yeah, like of course, like why wouldn't we. It's like, but like at when I when I get to November, I'm just like, oh my god, I just want to watch something other than a horror movie. But like I but that being said, I mean like I feel like, if I had to really say where my inclination's light is with horror, I feel like maybe sixty to seventy percent of what I watch is horror movies. But again, I try, I try to see a wide variety of stuff because I just I don't know, I love I like movies of every every genre, every medium, every country. I don't know, there's just there's so much good stuff out there.
Speaker 2: Well, you're working with the construction paper. You mentioned that you love vinegar syndrome, so clearly you must love physical media. So what's the history there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so this is it's funny. I get this. It's very nice being here to talk about this because I feel like this is the kind of thing I'm very passionate about in like casual conversation with people who could give less of a shit about like physical media. But so I was trying to think about it. And like for me, I always grew up around physical media, Like I so growing up, my dad was really really into movies. Like my dad had this incredible VHS collection and it was kept in this one closet in our downstairs and it was like one of those drawers you pull out that just had like you know, it was like twelve VHS is deep, yes, And it was just rack after rack after rack after rack in this closet. And then my dad kept this list that was like cataloging, Like okay, I want to watch this movie. It's in this drawer, and so I just always had access to that, and it was just like there was something about just having that available growing up that was so nice. Like every time we had sleepovers or anything like that, it was we could watch whatever we wanted, Like we just any movie that anyone could ever think of, Like we weren't you know, limited to to you know, like the four Disney movies that people typically had or something like that. And so I always, I always, I just grew up with that ability to just kind of always had access to that. And then so when I got my when I got like a PS two back in like two thousand and one, I that's when I started building my DVD collection, and there was something just so nice about like having this small little shelf of my movie collection and then being like, oh, this is like I'm this is this is like a representation of what I love. And it just never stopped from there, Like I just I always just kept up with with making sure that I was buying the movies that like I love, new ones coming out, and then like just as physical media, I mean those like those Wild West DVD days, like the shit I was buying at best Buy was insane, Like you could get like Ilsa she Woll of the SS at best Buy, Like it was.
Speaker 4: Three different cover options.
Speaker 3: It was so nuts and like h and it just like from that, like when that when that sort of like DVD boom happened, and it was just every horror movie was coming out on DVD and for pretty cheap, and it was just I was I was inhaling that stuff, and before I knew it, my collection was just absurdly big because this was like the one thing I spent money on and it was just I don't know. There was just no looking back from there. And then as streaming kind of overtook, I got very passionate about like, well, no, I like having access to the stuff I want, and like I've heard so many people complain about, like I want to watch this movie but it's not streaming on anything, and I never have that problem. So it's just very very very very passionate about that about having that access. And it goes back to when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, where's Bock wants to know, does your dad Sill have his VHS collection?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately no, he My parents are both in like their mid mid to late seventies and so they're kind of downsizing. And unfortunately he did, he did give it away.
Speaker 4: So the catalog got too hard to read. I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So some rapid fire questions forbody, How how big is that collection nowadays?
Speaker 4: If you've been collecting that long?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. So I've got I think roughly four thousand movies in mind right now. I know that's actually not I mean I feel like amongst the people amongst this company that might be sort of like rookie numbers. But I think I've got I think I have about four thousand discs right now.
Speaker 4: Not too bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, And I've I've and a lot of that has been like slowly replacing the DVDs I had with Blu rays. And now I'm in the phase of like tracking down the four k's of replacing those Blu rays. And so it's a never, never ending dance.
Speaker 2: Uh So on that note, the never ending dance, are you upgrading everything to four K or like favorite films or what it tends?
Speaker 3: So I think for me, if if there is a four K out and it's an up like, it's an upgrade. I mean, like we all know that, like they're every once in a while a four K comes out that's supposed to not be that great. I try I avoid those, but like if I bought a movie and I want it in my collection, I want to have the best available version of it, and so I will upgrade, you know, for I will do the four K of a movie that maybe isn't my favorite, but just I like having it. I like, you know, the time that I actually want to pull out and watch, you know, uh, Congo, Like, I'm glad that I have the four K of it, the beautiful vinegar syndrome restoration of Congo.
Speaker 2: Like, I love that you could say that sentence here, that's amazing. So who who would you say takes up the most space as a company in those four thousand discs?
Speaker 3: Oh geez, I mean it's probably vinegar syndrome, but I I let me think so it's it's vinegar syndrome. I' mean a good amount of them are scream factory because a lot of those, like there's a used record store where I live that every once in a while they just have, like you know, they have like just a swath of like five dollars screen factory releases but I would say more often than not, it is it's either you know, honestly, what it is is it's vinegar syndrome. And it's severing because those are the two that have biannual sales that I just spend way too much money on every six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and I were lamenting about the sales earlier today. It's gonna be a lot to discuss tonight on that.
Speaker 3: Ugh, I'm not I am not looking forward to it wallet wise, but like I am so excited about the other end of that. But right now it is so daunting.
Speaker 4: It's a lot. There's a lot happening right now. It's kind of that time of the year.
Speaker 2: We're between the VS and the Severn sale and we're gonna I mean, Criterion is supposed to hit tonight. We got others to talk about. There's a lot before we get into our normal segments. What is what it's like a dream release, favorite boutique company, a favorite movie that doesn't have a great release, What would you want on it?
Speaker 4: What type of release? Hard box? What do we get?
Speaker 3: Geez So for the longest time, man, I and this is like no disrespect to the companies that put out the Blu rays for these because, like I the two that I always had were that I would love a four K release for our Fritz the Cat and the Story of Ricky. Those are two, for whatever reason, for a long time, I just wanted and I fully say that I think Keno's Blu ray Fritz the Cat, I am so thankful that that exists. And eighty eight Film's release of Story of Ricky is great. It is an insane upgrade over the original Blu ray that came out. It was awful, right, I was so disappointed when I got that, And uh, but those are two that like for me, Like I remember before before either of those movies had those releases on Blue, like but before Fritz the Cat had come out, before that eighty eight Ricky Story of Ricky came out, I definitely fantasized about about Vineigerson from restoring those and putting those out. I mean, I don't know logistically like rights wise, how I mean, I don't know. I feel like that's not too outside of the realm with more Yeah, but like that being said, like again, I love the keynot Blue of that. So don't wanna don't want to dance on that on you know, sound too disappointed there, Like I'm just happy that those exists, but I would I would die for a really nice four K of both those movies.
Speaker 2: Well, and honestly, they're both very much in the realm of possibility. I mean, Fritz the Cat is Bakshi, and Bakshi had been attached to Coonskin obviously and Vinegar Syndrome Once upon a Dream had announced Coonskin and then that fell through. It did I didn't know that, not yeah, not as like a monthly release, but on social media they were like, We've acquired Coonskin and be coming out in a few months, and then something happened. They never said anything else about it.
Speaker 3: I'm like immediately like excited and so disappointed.
Speaker 2: Well this was this was like nine years ago, So I'm sorry everybody that just went.
Speaker 3: What you've dashed my oat, my treas quite.
Speaker 2: And then obviously since the eighty eight films, Ricky Oh, like Vinegar Syndrome has dove into the Asian films a lot, So if anybody's gonna get it in the US, it would.
Speaker 4: Make sense that it would be them.
Speaker 3: I would love it. I think that would be awesome. Again, love the releases that I have. Now there are great releases, but I would just those two. I would love a four K four I I would not complain about either. What's crazy to me? I guess I should say.
Speaker 2: Tonight after the announcements, we're talking about five animated films that we love that are grown up movies, not not necessarily for kids. And I, I don't know what it was, but my feeling today I did not end up I'll just spoil it now with a Bacshie on my list and I was like, oh wow, how do I have no Bacsci? But it's it just sort of landed that way. My taste has been different lately, but I grew up loving Bakshi and oh yeah, yeah, it was great to have Fritz the catch just raindomly mad.
Speaker 3: I will bring up Backshee again, don't worry.
Speaker 4: Great, great, great great. Well on that note, uh, what are some recent pickups you got that you want to share with everybody?
Speaker 3: So most recently the two shoes like big ones that I got were I haven't had the chance to dive in yet, but I am so excited about the Terror Vision shoe string Slashers box set. I love that stuff so much. I love what. I was so stoked that they were putting out Sledgehammer. I just I love what they're doing with the shot on video stuff like the love and the love and care that they're putting into those like bottom barrel slasher movies that just I don't know, like they're so great, and so I've been really really excited to dive into that, Like I pre ordered that like the second it came out, it finally arrived, and then I got I finally got my halfway to Black Friday Vinegar Syndrome, and so I it's funny, this is like an insight into like my method for buying stuff, Like I very rarely will buy stuff right when it comes out, like very very like I like, unless it took a movie I loved and need to see it, like the second it's out on four K, I I'll do that, but more often not, I'll just kind of wait until the price drops and with the bi annual sales with vinegar syndrome and U uh, severin like my what I what I typically am buying throughout the year is I'm like panic buying stuff that's going out of print, like I so I with vinegar syndrome like that's what I do, Like when the first thing I do when they have a sale is I go straight to that going out of print tab and I'm just like, okay, what is because they usually mark them down for so cheap, and so this time it was just all you know, movies that either were going out of print or it was their VSA titles that they only do like a limited number of that were below a certain threshold that I had to get. So, like recently I picked up there the three VSA titles they call Me Macho Woman, Love on Delivery, which I was so stoked I got a copy of before it it sold out, and then an Eye for an Eye, Like I I'm very very excited to check that one out, but like I just am super I'm super excited to like dive into that that that set because I just like, I don't know. The VSA titles are the ones that I usually for some reason, like I just gel with the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're video store titles usually, so that that kind of that fits with your your background what you were talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then the other one that like, because I know Fun City Editions has kind of been uh like uh because I think they're they're leaving Ocen if I remember correctly, or like feazing out of Ocen, that they announced that they had some titles going out of print too, and I it was it was like because they announced it was like Alphabet City and Coca Cola Kid were going out of print, and I've been dying to pick up both of those and I just immediately went on because they were both like up to like thirty five bucks on Amazon, and I went on eBay. I was able to get them for like twenty and so. But I watched Alphabet City like right when I got it, and I loved that movie. So yeah, so yeah, that's that's that's it. I panic by these movies that are going out of print and make sure I don't lose out on them. And then you know, but that's those are my recent pickups. So now we know your habits. You put yourself through a heart attack. That sounds fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, I one of the things I do is I try to save like points or if I get like a gift card as a gift or like a I think this one was like a return that I had to get an Amazon gift card for some reason, and I wasn't going to get this, but then it dropped low enough where I could literally just spend a gift card on it. So I just got in the four K of Kingdom of Heaven and it's, as you can see, quite an embossed steel book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh it is nice.
Speaker 2: I don't really love steel books as much as I used to, but it's a nice one and it'll look great. And then talking about animated films, this just might be the most epic I guess is like the small word to say this, because this is a masterpiece that is like the largest scale animation I've ever seen. Tragedy of Man from Deaf Crocodile. This is something that's been coming together for literally does it say, It's been like twenty three years in the making, and this thing is two and a half hours long, and it mixes a whole bunch of different animation styles and def Crocodile crushed it with this release. It is absolutely incredible. One that was very interesting to me when they announced it and you talked about the music Box theater earlier. Their physical media company music Bok Films just released ethis this Baseball Movie, and it's this thing just sounds so I don't know, homie, I guess is.
Speaker 4: A fun way to say it.
Speaker 2: Just a bunch of dudes playing on a baseball field that's about to get leveled. And then the big thing that I'm excited about. This is very late, but for everybody that's a subscriber on the Patreon to this, I finally got in the nineteenth issue of the Physical Media Advocate, the issue the magazine I print, so you'll be getting shipping on those probably tomorrow. Stoked on that finally. But yeah, it's been a good couple weeks. Good couple weeks for releases.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think like the one that like the most recently that I was just like I had to, like, I want that Vanger Syndrome Dirty Work release so bad like that It's funny like Dirty Work was a movie that I loved growing up, like just as like an immature like fourteen year old boy, but like that video they released about the work that went into restoring the director's cut of it just was so emblematic of everything I love about Vinegar syndrome film restoration. Like just the fact that it was and then the fact that it was for Dirty Work was I don't know. That was like one of those movies where I was just like, I know, I usually don't buy stuff like right when it comes out with a yeah, yeah, I really want that one.
Speaker 4: It's worth it.
Speaker 2: And the fact that they were selling so many that they were like, well, hold on, we need to increase the print run.
Speaker 4: Like it's doing pretty well at that point. That's great.
Speaker 2: Over the last couple of weeks, what have you been watching that you want to talk about and any great movies?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think for me, like I just watched so I guess in terms of maybe like the most recent movies that I've watched that like I really loved like that that's that have come out like I loved I mean, I loved to Bring Her Back, which was actually kind of interesting because like I I liked talk to Me, Yeah, I but I didn't. I didn't wasn't bought in as every as much as everyone else was. But Bring Her Back just like knocked my socks off.
Speaker 4: Yeah that.
Speaker 3: I just thought that was such a spectacular movie. And then also just again very kind of I mean, who everyone and their mother loves it? Like I thought Sinners was fantastic. That's one that I cannot wait to get the four k for because I saw it in like the most rinky, dank little theater with like the worst lighting ever and it but was still amazing. And then also I feel like, uh, I feel like Shutter has been kind of killing it this year, Like I I I like, I feel like Shutter does like enough like a mishmash of stuff that it's sort of like, you know, it's kind of a where I feel like, oh, I kind of like that that one wasn't for me. I just feel like this year, like I loved Ugly Stepsister. I thought Ugly Stepsister was fantastic. I'm so stoked I saw that Diabolic was gonna get like four k's of that from Germany. I think like, I'm I'm super excited about that. And then also two movies that I wanted to throw a shout out to that I just feel that that came out this year that I feel like are criminally underseen that I want to urge everyone to see. First, one is Bystanders, which was these are both from Dread Pictures. So Bystanders is this fantastic rape revenge movie that came out earlier this year that it's Struck by Mary Beth mc andrews and written by Jamie Alvi, and it's just sort of like, you know, a rape revenge movie against like the most obnoxious frat boys you've ever seen, and it just like balance is this thing between not shying away from how horrific the contents is, but it's still like weirdly fun. And I think I think that one's on two B, so like I highly recommend everyone checking that one out. And then the other one that I really loved from Tried Pictures was For Sale by Exorcists, which, yeah, I loved that movie, directed by Melissa la Martina and written by Chris la Martina of w n UF, and I it's just like the most charming, like comedy horror movie I've seen in a minute that for so for anyone who doesn't know just about a woman who uh like buys houses that are haunted and exercises the ghosts and flips them and it's like a mockumentary. I don't know, it's just it's it's so like stupidly charming. And I always like going through I because I keep like a running list of like my favorite movies that I've seen, like through the Year on Letterbox, and though both of those like don't even have like a thousand logs on letterbox, I think I don't even know if for Sale by Exorcist is at like two hundred, and it's just like, I just feel like those are both criminally underseen. So I just wanted to give a shout out to those.
Speaker 2: Chris Malissa are also just like the nicest people. They're always incredible. Really really glad that you brought up Buggly Stepsister. That was a super surprise for me. I thought it was gonna be maybe decent based on the trailer, but man, that movie blew me away. I think, uh, pulling up my list right now, I think that's at my number three of the year so far.
Speaker 3: I think it is for me too. Actually I loved.
Speaker 4: It good year, but number three for a movie like that is pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I thought that was so I don't know like that was. That was just like the exact kind of movie I wanted it to be, Like, Yeah, No, I love that one.
Speaker 2: I spent about an hour last night on another stream talking about Clock so I watched that for the first time this week. I won't say too much here, but I'll just say Spike Lee's incredible. A couple of new ones in the theater that I watched this week that everybody should probably check out if I recommend it, maybe the first one everybody's sawing about twenty eight years later saw it it. Yes, it is quite messy in the writing. It is a little tonally jarring in about oh I don't know, eighty four different places, but for some reason that comes across as charming instead of annoying. And yes, the last like ninety seconds of this movie are gonna pull a lot of people out and make them rate it.
Speaker 4: Like a full star lesson letterbox.
Speaker 2: But it's still very fun and very worth it, and the entire franchise is still quite good. My kids wanted to drag me to the How to Train Your Dragon live action remake. I'll say it's it's great because How To Train Your Dragon is an incredible animated movie. It only lost points because it's not the animated version, which is just better. It is a quite quite good animated or live action remake, but.
Speaker 4: None of us needed that. It's the exact same. Like there were shots in that movie where I went, I think his hair is even doing the same thing that it did in the animated movie, which is insane that we're on that level. I don't know how to feel about that.
Speaker 2: And I don't even think I've seen any of the Disney live action remakes, so I'm not really that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just not my thing, but.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean it's I would say it's not my thing either, but somehow I've still seen like I don't know, like six of them.
Speaker 2: And then the last thing, probably the biggest flop that has ever flopped, Pixar's l e O dropped this week.
Speaker 4: Speaking of animated movies, Yeah, did you watch Elio?
Speaker 3: I have not seen it, but I know I was aware. It's like I didn't know that it was coming out, and then I saw someone I saw Richard Whittaker from the Austin Chronicle tweet out or a Blue Sky post like it's it's a little concerning that, like there's a new Pixar movie coming out in two weeks and nobody seems to know. Yep.
Speaker 2: Supposedly, the trailer was played for about seventeen people across the US over the last couple of weeks. It is already poised to be the least grossing Pixar debut in like twenty one years or something like that, or actually I think it since the original Toy story, like the first Toy story is the only one that was less than this one.
Speaker 4: Which is crazy. That being said, Elliot is freaking great. It is.
Speaker 2: I guess the only thing that I'm really going to kind of hold it against it is Pixar used to be on the forefront of animation. Every new film that came out, it was like, Wow, We've never seen anybody do anything like this. The last I don't know, three or four Pixar movies, they're like the exact same animation style. Nothing is different everything. It's got the same texture, it's got the same level of depth. But they sort of killed it with the story story. It is a really beautiful science fiction story that hammers home the idea of loneliness and really really leaves you with this beautiful philosophical moment that I don't really want to spoil. But one of my personal heroes is literally his voice played at the end of the film, which I never would have expected that vick Arbo had done this, and it really like leaves you the if you recognize the voice and know what is happening. You leave the theater like beaming with just Wow.
Speaker 4: They did something and took a risk and it paid off in spades.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Yeah. I saw your I saw your your your little your tidbit about it on a letterbox, and I actually was like, oh shit, I need to check it, check it out.
Speaker 2: I realized after the fact I probably should have marked that as spoilers, but it doesn't spoil the film story. But yeah, the feeling was pretty magical at that all right, other than announcements anything else that you're working on that you can share anything that you want to point people too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll I guess, so, I guess I could just say that, like of the two movies, my two movies, Attack of the Demons is on screen box if anyone wants to check that out, and also obviously released through Ocen and Dark Star on Vinegar Syndrome's website. And then also When You Get to the Forest UH is also out on Vinegar Syndrome site through Cartoona but that one, unfortunately is not streaming anywhere quite yet. We're still figuring that out. Not the easiest sell, but you know, but for now, if if it's something that someone wants to see, they can pick it up on on Vinegar Syndrome's website. But other than that, you know, I'm I'm constantly working on stuff. You know, Eric and I are in a constant state of trying to like get something into production, and so right now we're kind of pushing hard on this this fantasy drama that we that that Eric came up with the story for, and we've been developing the story over the over the summer or sorry, over the spring, and he's got some test start for it on his social pages on the Blue Sky on Instagram, so people can check that out just get kind of a taste of what he's, you know, he's cooking up. But other than that, you know, I've got a couple things sort of maybe happening in the live action sphere, but it's you know, with the industry being what it is right now and just a sort of very strange time for film production, it's not as clear cut, so you know, very well, nothing may come of it. But I will say that I'm always writing, I'm always trying to get something out out there made, and I'm sure eventually some another movie will come out.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, before I click on the announcements, just to show that I'm kind of always watching and paying attention your Blue Sky. Earlier this year, you posted that you were going to be trying to force yourself to write every single day, and you have been an inspiration. Like the amount of parency with it that is, I don't know. There's some days where it's just hard, and it seems like you still are able to force yourself to do it as much as you can. For anybody that's trying to do something creative.
Speaker 4: How do you get to that point?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know that the process is different for everyone. Like I know people who very much are you know, they look at the creative process, whether it's music or movies or writing or painting or drawing to be you know, it's just something that they do when they're inspired, and which I think is great. But for me, it's writing. I just felt like I needed it to be more of a muscle. I needed to work out where I have always felt like the more I write, the better I get. And if I force myself to write, I will get that bullshit out of my fingers and just like I'll get the crap on the page and then figure it out later, but I will be better for it on the other side. And so, you know, twenty fourteen I had or sorry, twenty twenty four had a lot going on in my life where it prevented me from writing and it really bummed me out. Like I got to the end of the year and I was like, I only wrote like two screenplays this year, Like that sucks, Like I want to do something I wish and so this year. So for twenty twenty five, I was just like, you know, what, fuck it, I'm going to try to write five pages a day. Just that's that's what I'm going to try to do. And I've capped up with it and it's been like it's gotten to the point where I'm so deep into it at this point that if I don't do it, I'm going to feel so ashamed that, you know, if I miss writing for one day. And so, you know, typically I try to get the pages done, you know, at a reasonable hour, but there have been times where like I, you know, it's like twelve thirty at night, I have to be up for work and you know, four at four or five hours, and I'm like I got to get those pages in though, like that's you know, and I just get it out there. And so at this point, you know, I've written, you know, I'm coming up on a thousand pages for the year and so I and I've written I think like twelve scripts here, like I don't know if there are any, damn, but it is. I mean, it's also kind of nice because like I have this huge backlog of ideas that like I always kind of like I have this master movie list idea and it's it's very you know, it varies from like more detailed stuff to stuff that's just like a one off idea. Like I remember, I remember once going down that list and there was like a there was just a note that just said like haunted Taxi, and I was like, I don't know what the fuck that was supposed to be. But but the thing is, like I've been able to like just choose like a chunk of those and I'm just like, right, these are the ones I'm writing. And I've like I've gotten through all these scripts that I've like envisioned in my head for years and now they're just kind of in the rearview mirror at least the first draft is. And so you know, for me, if it's if it's again, everyone's writing, you know, everyone's you know what they do to like get writing and stuff is going to be different. But for me, I just have always found that just doing it helps, like it. Just doing the writing, writing the dog shit and then figuring it out later and molding it into something better after is better than just waiting for that perfect moment of of you know, writing the perfect page like I will. I will write five pages of dog shit and then figure it out later.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of dog shits.
Speaker 2: On that note, you're free to take this, but everybody always groans on my pun, so I have to say clearly, you've already written the title as boob ber right.
Speaker 3: I did not, But that's good.
Speaker 4: I'll take your credit. That's enough for me.
Speaker 3: You got to you got a co writing credit, all right.
Speaker 2: I guess that won't really work great in writing because it'll just look dirty and just right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a different that's the sex comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to check that on mail you see in three years. All right, I'm so glad that your h your writing has been never ending this year. Let's talk about the never ending story. This is the first release of the week that we'll be talking about Imprint had kind of infamously said that when they first announced the never Ending Story four K Giant fourteen pound Storybook Edition that they weren't going to make a standard, and technically they haven't.
Speaker 4: They are now releasing a four K steel.
Speaker 2: Book edition that is coming out on August twenty seventh, and this is going to have three different discs.
Speaker 4: You've got a four K disc that has.
Speaker 2: The theatrical cut on four K, and then it's got two Blu Ray discs that's got the theatrical cut on Blu Ray and then the German extended cut on Blu Ray. But you don't get that one on four K. Everybody's major complaint is that this thing shipped is like one hundred and four dollars US or something, and that's for like a pair down version on a release.
Speaker 4: Holy shit, that's expensive.
Speaker 3: I know this is I'd struggle with stuff like this because I want this so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this movie is beautiful. On four K. I will say that it is quite good. I'll also say the Giant book releases very nice too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I remember seeing that and just being like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's expensive, but if you love the movie.
Speaker 2: I totally get it. Imprint kind of always expensive, sadly, so we're.
Speaker 4: Used to it.
Speaker 2: Second Site over in the UK had a couple announcements on Friday. We've got August twenty fifth, we were getting a four K of ty West's The Innkeepers.
Speaker 4: This is coming hot on the heels of some other thay West stuff getting attention lately, and this is going to be a four K with Dolby Vision.
Speaker 2: We've got a brand new restoration approved by ty West. We've got tons of extress here. We've got multiple audio commentaries, we've got brand new interviews with ty West, with Pat Healey, Larry Festeneden, the DP Elliott Rocket. And then, of course, because it's Second Site, it's going to have a giant book with a bunch of news says in a hard box and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about Second Site, sir?
Speaker 3: I love Second Site so much, so much so that I am so annoyed at how often they put out stuff I want. Like I Second Site is like I have like a basket and I have like fourteen movies in it on Second Site, and I always feel like, all right, this is the month where I finally just buy that and then they do this thing where they release another movie and it's just like, Okay, well I'm adding that, and then I gotta wait to buy that, and then they add another movie and it's just one of these days I just need to buy the bullet And but like the stuff I have gotten from them, I mean, their release of the Witch is just immaculate. Their guest release is incredible. Like I love Second Site.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're great, And uh, if you love Second Site, but you want to spend a little less money, but you really want the Innkeepers. Hang out because we're gonna be talking about another release of The Innkeepers here in just a little bit, which is fairly comparable to this. We'll chat more about ty weston a bit, but the next one. They are putting out the Pusher Trilogy on four K and blu ray on August twenty fifth as well. This is a trilogy of films from the one and only Nicholas Winding Refin. The cool thing here is this will have Dolby atmos, it's got new audio commentaries, it's got a bunch of extras. But then it's got the Gamber future length documentary. It's also got the Danish director Paul In Europe's nineteen sixties trilogy of youth films in a brand new four K restoration from all three, which is crazy. There is a lot coming in this release again. One hundred and twenty page booklet with a bunch of names that you recognize, including Justin Little Liberty from Cinematograph and Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 4: Just tons of stuff you into reffing it all. Oh, yeah, I have to. I'm Danish, so that's like required, it's built in. Yeah, in the blood.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a huge I don't love everything he makes, but I'm happy everything he makes exists. But also I mean, like I'm a basic person. I love Drive. I think Drives great.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a very good movie at the very least. Yes, all right, so that is second site for this month. Everybody, of course, still waiting on the release of Possession, but we'll have to wait at least a little bit longer. Next up is the one and only Deaf Crocodile, who's in the chat talking about the imprint prices.
Speaker 4: Yes, very expensive.
Speaker 2: Right, So now we've got pre orders up for two brand new releases from Deaf Crocodile. We talked about these a few weeks ago, so I'll just get your feelings on Deaf Crocodile after this.
Speaker 4: First one is The Devil's Bride from nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 2: This is a beautiful movie from just some of the most scenic landscapes I've ever seen in a film that is a musical that I think a lot of you that follow this page will love.
Speaker 4: This is a Lithuanian film.
Speaker 2: And we were lucky enough to be able to do a visual essay on it, and it's incredible.
Speaker 4: Got a bunch of other extras on you.
Speaker 2: We got an audio commentary from Michael Brooke, We've got new interviews with people that were associated with the film, including the Uh I believe it's the daughter of the director.
Speaker 4: Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: And then of course new essays by Alexander Hiller, Nicholas and Walt Shaw in the booklet. Are you into Deaf Crocodile at all, especially as an animation theme?
Speaker 3: Of course I am. I Actually it's funny. I mean, like as much I think they're the animation that they release is incredible and the attention that they're giving to like the just stuff that I had never heard of. But I do think that like that Ilia Morimet release is one of my favorite releases that's come out in the past like ten years. That is just such a gorgeous release. Like I was, that was one whet, just like it was so unfamiliar with that with that movie and the filmmakers, and like the fact that they opened kind of that entire world of those sort of of those like Russian you know, big sweeping fantasy movies.
Speaker 4: It's just I don't know. So yeah, Love Love, Love Deaf Crocodile amazing.
Speaker 2: One more release from theirs, which is one of my favorite releases in their entire catalog. They are putting out a deluxe edition release of The Pied Piper. This is the nineteen eighty six film by Jerry Barta that was released previously while they were with OCN, and now to make it worth it, they are putting out a second disc that is going to include the rest of Barta shorts, which are beautifully animated in stop motion and they are they're kind of like small masterpieces and every single one. And then on top of that, of course, this has a brand new sixty page illustrated book. It's got the essay that was in the original release, so you're not missing out on that. And it's also got new stuff by Jonathan Oen and Waltshaw.
Speaker 4: Have you seen The Pied Piper.
Speaker 3: I haven't, but I've been dying too. I'm actually like, this would be right up your alley. Yeah, I'm gonna pick this one up this edition. It's actually I hated that I missed it when it first came out, so I'm very excited to pick this one up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everybody's talking about the art. The art on this box is incredible. Brian Level is the one that did the hard box on this and if you want to hear more from Brian Level, he happened to be in the episode of The Deaf Crocodile podcast that premiered last Friday.
Speaker 4: Go give that a listen, all right.
Speaker 2: Going on from there, we got some releases from Severn, which I had heard that this was coming a few months ago, and I feel like there's some really great stuff here. So this is coming in early August if you order it straight from the Severn site, and then it will be coming on September thirtieth if you order it from a wide release partner like Amazon or somebody like Diabolic. But this is Donza Macabra Volume four, and the films in this are pretty great looking. We got Terror and Creature from the Grave. They have also we'll talk about the details on the second. We've got Night of the Damned in there. On top of that, we've also got The Devil's Wedding Night and Bobby Yaga. And the big thing here is we are getting a four K box set and a Blu ray box set, and they are able to do that by making different color art on the box, which is kind of a clever way to tell those apart.
Speaker 4: I'm glad they're doing that.
Speaker 2: I really wanted to talk about the pricing real quick because we just talked about imprint, which massively expensive for a really popular movie. I'm not taking that away, but the Blu ray box set for Donta Macabra is seventy nine dollars in the US, and that is it's still a huge set.
Speaker 4: It is seven discs.
Speaker 2: Then you go to the four K set, it's one hundred and twenty five dollars, So that's it's more expensive because four K is expensive to make, but it's eleven discs. Because you get the four K discs and the Blu ray discs and there's a CD. This is, in my opinion, just the very clear like antithesis of that Imprint pricing. Like I love what Imprint does, but this to get all these brand new special features, to get great films four K and Blu ray and you're getting one hundred and twenty five dollars in a hard box.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good pricing on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Severn always kills it with those big sets like that al Adamson set is like one of my favorite things I own, and I always feel like there's such a good value, Like I remember, I just feel like every time they announce one of these big sets, I just like cannot believe how good everything in it looks and the value that you're getting out of getting it is always feels like way worth it. So I always love Severn for that.
Speaker 2: Yep, they do incredible work to be able to capture you know, entire filmmakers history in a box sometimes or like the folk Core sets which are.
Speaker 4: Just mind blowing and what they're able to comput.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Severn doing some great stuff, especially if you like this type of film. I mean, this is a really great box set in my opinion. And then they're also putting out a pixel Alix or Hall of Fame pin that they do for Rosalba Nieri, which I had most of these up until a point where I said, I have no more room, but this is I love that they're still putting these out all right after that. August twenty six, Keeno Lber are putting out The Two Jakes on four K and Blu Ray. This is the sequel to Chinatown, which was included in the Paramount presents four K of Chinatown, but only on Blu Ray. So if you really love Jack Nicholson and you want to see it on four K as the only way to do it, this is getting a new audio commentary by Max Allan Collins that he is moderated with Heath Holland, who's over at Cereal at midnight, who everyone says you look like so congratulations.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, cool, I'll take you. That's a compliment.
Speaker 2: Jack Nicholson, How do you feel about Jack or the Two Jakes? Have you seen the Two Jakes?
Speaker 3: I have not seen Two Jakes, but I will say that this is one of those four K announcements that burned me because when that Paramount Chinatown came out, like, I, that's again, this is where I panic by stuff. And like I heard, you know, cause that Chinatown release that has this in it in a Blu ray was when out of you know, there is out of print, and like they announced that like they were having like a they found a couple of copies. They threw them up on Amazon, and I was in no position where I was like, I just I didn't need to buy a four K at that moment. But I was like, well, I have to get the one with two Jakes because if I don't get this, I'm never gonna have two Jakes on Blue right, Like I'm that's just never gonna happen. And then I should have known that Keno would put it out on four K, Like I should have considered that.
Speaker 2: So sib says, that's why my fingers and toes across were bringing out the Dead from Criterion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would think that would make sense.
Speaker 2: Actually, now that it's out of print from Paramount Presents, it'd be nice to see that come over to Criterion Dell's here. I was on Dell's channel last night to give it that a watch. Yeah, let's let's keep going here. Next up is Undisputed coming on four K in August twenty six from Keno. This is the Wesley Snipes and Ving Raim's film. This has a new audio commentary by Mark Mark Oh I read the second name Hello, Matt Rutledge and Mike Leader. I totally mixed those two names together. Mike Leader's been on the channel before. Good guy, have you seen Undisputed?
Speaker 3: I am unfamiliar with this movie, which is surprising because I love Westless and I have and ving Rams quite a lot. So, but it's two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and two, so that could be why it was after the the ving Rams renaissance in the Western Side Downfall.
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, I don't I'm not.
Speaker 2: Sure if I've seen Undisputed either. It's been a long time since this came out.
Speaker 3: But that being said, whenever Qino puts something out on four K, I do tend to look into it a little more. And I've boughten some blind four K is from Qino that I have not been disappointed with.
Speaker 2: So it's really easy when they're eighteen dollars on sale, like we're going to talk about tonight. All right, So next up is hammer Over in the UK, releasing on August eleventh. Blood Orange from nineteen fifty three. This is a four K one of their their slim line boxes. They're doing like these deluxe sets and then these about half of that size, still deluxe compared to most releases sets, and they are putting out a lot of classic films. Blood Orange is not what most people would probably call a classic Hammer film. This is one that a lot of people did not know much about. But the big thing is it's directed by Terrence Fisher and for a lot of people that alone is blind by worthy. This is going to be coming in a two disc set. You got a rigid box as usually, you got a four K disc Blu ray disc, and then of course it's got the booklet with it. You've got new commentaries, a bunch of new extras. They treat these releases very well. You like any Hammer films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess it's not one. It's not a sort of studio or like realm of film that I ever had a like deep die of appreciation with. But like whenever I catch one, I like it. It's but I mean, I will absolutely this sounds like right on my alley.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it looks pretty decent, and I mean again Terrence Fisher.
Speaker 4: I'll watch it.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if it's a buy a huge four K box set watching.
Speaker 4: This is probably the release.
Speaker 2: That pissed off the most people on my page this week August eighteenth. Over in the UK, Warner Brothers is releasing The Mask from nineteen ninety four with Jim Carrey in a.
Speaker 4: Blu Ray steel book. Yes, a Blu Ray steel book.
Speaker 2: This is the same Blu Ray disc that they've been putting out for the last I don't know, fifteen years, and they're just saying, hey, let's put it in a gaudy purple and green steel book and say, alrighty, then how do you feel about the Mask?
Speaker 3: I love it. I mean it came out when I was like five years old, so of course, like I grew up with it and thought it was great. But I am cracking up over the fact that this is a steel book for a fifteen year old disc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much everybody that saw this went, you know, I'm gonna wait on a four K, and I would say that is a wise decision. I believe there's a rumor that it is coming literally either late this year or early next year. It will be happening, and because it's Warner, that will if you really want to steal book, there will be another one. It might even be this exact same desire, So good luck. Yeah, this is a wild decision. Speaking of the UK, Dazzler Media, which has been stepping up their four K output, they're putting out Girl from the North Country from this year on a four K and Blu Ray release. This one I had not heard about, but it sounds freaking great, this says. Set in nineteen thirty four d Luth, Minnesota during the Great Depression, Girl from the North Country centers on Nick Lane, who struggles to keep his guesthouse afloat amidst financial ruin. His wife Elizabeth battles dementia, while their adopted daughter, Mary Anne harbors a secret pregnancy. The guest house becomes a refuge for a diverse group of drifters, each grappling with their own hardships. As their lives intertwine, themes of love, loss and hope emerge, all underscored by reimagined renditions of Bob Dylan songs including Forever Young, All Along the Watchtower, Hurricane and Like a Rolling Stone. This is a Bad Way musical adaptation that has been made into a film that.
Speaker 4: I gotta be honest, I kind of want to see this.
Speaker 2: You got some Connor McPherson in this or written and directed by Connor McPherson and supposedly great.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of this.
Speaker 2: Connor says. Saw a girl from North Country on Broadway to Luth, Minnesota. Represent nice, Connor, are you from Minnesota? Originally I did not know that. Yeah, this sounds really good. I gotta be honest, reading that synopsis, I wouldn't think, yeah, that should be on a Broadway play that we're hiding pregnancies, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds cool. I'm interested. I'm actually unfamiliar with that label.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they've done quite a few more four k's. They've really started to step up there. They're not like the best quality, but they're they're better than the Blu rays they're coming out in the US usually, so speaking of Blu Rays in the US, Air forty four. Forty four has said that they are not ship there's yet. We got a couple of delays here. P Mock Alone and Mermaid Legend have been delayed. They're waiting for their restock of standard editions of read to kill and run and kill as well. They are doing everything they can to expedite those manufacturing and they think.
Speaker 4: That they will be able to get them shipping in July. But that's sort of the story with a bunch of these labels over the last few months.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I know Air four four four four is like a really small team. I've actually had some correspondence with them when I had a defective disc, like they were great in terms of getting back to me and everything. But I recognize that, like I've been following them since like their first release, like and uh so they're you know, I'm I'm I always want to give them, like us, maybe a little more patience than I would at one of the bigger places. So but because I I don't know, I love all their releases, so they're but.
Speaker 4: Not films that nobody else is. Uh So you got to give that to him for sure.
Speaker 2: I missed this comment when it was made, so Dell was talking about the mask. He says it could be worse. Like Walmart put out the same DVD several times a year with different slip covers. I post them as announcements, but I wanted to share that Walmart is repackaging two releases from Screen Factory. They're putting out the often overlooked little indie gym by one I think his name is John Carpenter called Halloween. They're putting out a two disc four K set, so they're dropping a third disc and putting in this orange like slip art I think. And then they're repackaging the old Vincent Price Collection Volume one into the same style of art. Just those two releases. Not why necessarily.
Speaker 3: Price Collection gets reprinted like every four months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, except for I think Volume two, which went at after like seventeen hours and that was it. I got a question in the chat Karin wants to know any new mount of Micabro news. I can't say anything else definitive yet, but I can say I have a podcast recording with Macabre for next week where we will get some more news guaranteed. This one kind of surprised me. July fifteenth, we are getting a Blu Ray release of Manifest, the complete series from Warner Brothers. Now, I'd never seen the show, but i'd heard it's actually kind of decent, and I gotta be honest, seeing an airplane under the ocean water here is sort of intriguing. But yeah, this was on from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty three, and the big thing is this was I think Netflix rescued it for its final season and it was like a CBS show for the first four years something like that or three years. But now more TV on Blu ray is always a good thing. And to get something that was on Netflix on Blu Ray, it's getting to be more and more of a rarity these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am unfamiliar with this show, but like you said, I'm always very supportive of anything that is like technically streaming only finding a home on yeah physical.
Speaker 2: Well, my buddy Brian, who is an audio engineer in New York, says, Nope, it's terrible. I mix some of it, so maybe I won't watch it.
Speaker 3: So you know what, if it's if the price is low enough, I'm sure i'll check it out.
Speaker 2: Well, it's five seasons of a TV on Blu ray, so probably won't be as cheap enough for either of us. Yes, Barnes and Noble hosting a Radiant sale right now, which is pretty great, fifty percent off all of the Radiance titles. It is running until August third, quite a long sale. It works online and many Barnes and Noble are stocking these in store at the moment. But the cool thing for those of you that don't have Barnes and Noble or if they've sold out, because I believe in a couple titles they have, Amazon's pretty much price matching everything, and everything's on sale even that's current. So the brand new Todd Salons release of Palindromes on four K it's only twenty five bucks.
Speaker 4: Baby for the time to buy.
Speaker 3: It, Yeah, I know, because I had loaded up my Barnes and Noble basket and by the time I went back to actually check it out, massa Massia of Evil had sold out.
Speaker 4: So damn I know.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of Barnes and Noble, it's that time. Supposedly the Criterion sale is launching tonight. We don't have exact Barnes and Noble confirmation on that, but all rumors are pointing to that happening tonight at midnight, so be prepared to spend that money.
Speaker 4: Anyways, there's too much.
Speaker 3: It's just too many.
Speaker 2: I've got another sale to talk about here, Limelight over in the UK, which is sort of.
Speaker 4: Like a diabolic DVD.
Speaker 2: They are not a label putting out titles, but they're just a distributor or retailer essentially. They've got nine hundred plus titles. In fact, when I clicked on, I think it was just over a thousand, which I thought it was weird that they said over nine hundred and then the sale had over a thousand. I'd just say over a thousand. That's They've got all kinds of stuff on sale, firm, lots of big companies that you'd probably love, like Bfi, Eureka, Indicator, one to one Films, Fabulous Films, Anti Worlds, the sisters company of Indicator, Third Window Films, and a whole bunch of studio stuff too. If you are in the UK you get freak shipping over fifty pounds, and if you're anywhere else in the rest of the world you have to jump that up to two hundred pounds to get free shipping, and that's a lot of money. But they've got some pretty damn good prices over there. Just a warning, Yeah, anybody else check out the Limelight, So I want to hear what anybody got from this thing.
Speaker 3: I wasn't I wasn't aware that this was happening, and now I'm like panicking because one, there's already enough sales happening right now, but there's like It's UK stuff also just sort of at all being there in one place that's very very enticing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're talking like there'res I think there were Third Window titles that were like ten pounds. There is Indicator stuff that was under ten pounds. There was Eureka stuff that I wanted that was like twelve pounds.
Speaker 4: Tell me that, yeah, it's it's a pretty good sale. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Uh, And of course I clicked the wrong thing one second here that was the last thing.
Speaker 4: Uh. Next, Uh, that is a terrible picture of me.
Speaker 2: I was on an episode of the Split Your Head podcast that came out this week.
Speaker 4: Go check that out.
Speaker 2: Supposedly I got more personal there than I do in many other places. I've had a bunch of people message me that they listen to this, So if you're into it, go give it a listen.
Speaker 4: Uh man. Umbrella.
Speaker 2: Umbrella is like many people's favorite label right now, and it seems to be a race between Umbrella and Seconds.
Speaker 4: I so you love Umbrella.
Speaker 3: I love Umbrella.
Speaker 4: What is a couple favorite releases they put out?
Speaker 3: I mean like, uh, I mean, off the top of my head, I mean they're they're super Myer Brothers UHD incredible, their razorback UHD is incredible. And then also uh there King Kong lives, Like I'm just so stoked that they released that on Blu Ray like that that I'm so happy that that exists. And I've actually been really really excited to dive into their French extremity box sets. I know there's a new one that was announced recently, and I'm just I love Umbrella there. They're the best.
Speaker 2: Mozart's ghost says the Wake and Fright four K is gorgeous, and all I can express right now is jealousy that mine is not here yet.
Speaker 4: God, I am dying to watch that movie.
Speaker 2: In four K, even though this is like the worst time in the world to watch Wake in Fright, because it's so goddamn hot across the US.
Speaker 3: All Right, so.
Speaker 2: Umbrella this time, lots of really great stuff. We've got the film ANNGST from nineteen eighty three coming on four K out of Australia. This is gonna have, of course a regular standard edition if you want the four K, but the Deluxe is gonna have a forty eight page book with behind the scenes of material, archival interviews and new essays by Jack Sargent and David Michael Brown. Custom rigid slipcase Let's see Reversible poster, new audio commentaries times two, one of them by the director, one of them by Cat Allinger, Kat Illinger and Martin Conterio. A post screen and q in with the director and the lead actor who plays the serial killer.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Uh, we've got a new interview with the actor himself. We've got through the Eyes of a Killer, and interview with the cinematographer. Just all kinds of stuff coming on. This's including a location feature at which is kind of red. Tell yeah, uh, how do you feel have you seen onst Yes?
Speaker 3: I really really love this movie. I became aware of it when I first saw Irreversible because apparently Gus Barno has said that that it was like one of the main inspirations for that movie, and so I punted it down, got a copy and it is It is dark and grimy, it's it's great. I the second I saw this come up, I was just like, that's a perfect four K release, Like that is a movie I want to on four K so bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah to uh to say, I am going to sit down and watch a movie that inspired Irreversible does not feel great.
Speaker 2: However, uh angst is incredible. This movie is stupendous. It is gory, it is frenetic, It is beautifully shot in a weird way because it's it's primarily a single location sort of serial killer thriller. But good lord, are our lead.
Speaker 4: Actor here, Erwin what's his last name?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: Leader? I don't want to yeah, yeah, Erwin leader or Erwin later.
Speaker 2: He is stupendous in this movie. He is just the perfect kind of deranged. The rumor is that Cult Epics in the US is likely going to be upgrading this to four K eventually because they did the Blue.
Speaker 4: But for those of you the love Umbrella, this is.
Speaker 2: The exact way that you're gonna want to o jest this movie because it's incredible, and I can pretty much guarantee Cult Epics will not get as many extra as are going.
Speaker 3: To be on this lisk.
Speaker 2: So ANX, I'm so glad you've seen it, because so many people are like, OHNX, this looks pretty what is it?
Speaker 4: I have to go?
Speaker 2: We want to be really upset, all right, next one is one that I have not seen. This is The Resurrection of the Golden Wolf also known as The Golden Wolf Revives from nineteen seventy nine. Have not seen this before. This is Yusaka Matsuda starring in this one. It's got a forty eight page booklet with behind the scenes material and new essays. It's got the reverse bill poster, all the stuff that Umbrella usually does. On this We've got a new interview with the director Toru Marikawa, and then some new corporate fantasy and masculine identity in the Resurrection of the Golden Wolf that Robert Edwards is speaking on. Not a ton on this disc, but for those that want it, I believe this is going to be the best release of this film yet.
Speaker 4: For sure. Have you seen this one or even heard of?
Speaker 3: Never heard of this one when when it came up, but instantly intrigued by it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really great looking art too, very very compelling, The story sounds good. I love Asian movies, just plain and simple. I mean, going through this week the New York Times Best of the twenty first Century that everybody's posting, I had to literally fight myself to not I have ten different Asian films and that's.
Speaker 4: It on my list.
Speaker 3: She's done it. Just go for me.
Speaker 4: It was pretty close. Yeah, I definitely wanted to. Next up is The Reef.
Speaker 2: I think I've seen this one, but this is from twenty ten Shark Tech movie coming on Blu Ray on October eighth.
Speaker 4: This is a.
Speaker 2: Clearly pretty Australian film. I'm glad they put it out. We got a four y eight page booklet with a new essay by Anthony O'Connor, behind the scenes of material, interviews, all that stuff, new audio commentary with the director, moderated by David Michael Brown, some new interviews.
Speaker 4: Have you seen The Reefs?
Speaker 3: I haven't, but it's an another movie, another like early two thousand's Shark movie that I am so happy is getting like a loving release. I'm here for it, and I'm here to discover all the ones that I missed.
Speaker 2: I you know, I don't love every shark movie, but I pretty much want to see every single shark movie because they will at least be interesting just borderline and then at worst, yeah, they're pretty bad, but some of them are incredible, and I walk away feeling very happy I got to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like you're gonna have a good time no matter what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a shark movie. Come on, let's see Sam saying I love angst Cubic Lover also loves Asian movies.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I'm in good company there. Shark Romantic Ryan, that's what I do.
Speaker 4: You know what? Give me an agent architect movie, I guess, and that's perfect for me. Let's keep going. Next is the anthology film that I still can't.
Speaker 2: Believe this is coming out through Umbrella, The ABC's of Death from twenty twelve, which is directed by seemingly everybody under the.
Speaker 4: Sun at the time, including Ty West.
Speaker 2: Like I was talking about, us is getting a really nice looking Umbrella release that will be very like children's book coded like they've done on their Winnie the Pooh releases. So far have a forty eight page booklet with some new essays, and then we got some new extras, including a commentary by Graham Duff and Steven Thrower, which Stephen Thrower, I feel like, doesn't do as many commentaries anymore. He kind of does like a thirty minute interview, and this is kind of a very interesting movie for him to do a commentary on so stoked on that we got new interviews with some people that directed or produced and some other stuff, but a lot of us behind the scenes on many of the segments of this. I remember watching this when it came out and loving I don't know ten of the twenty six segments something like that. And for an anthology that is about twenty six short films, that's not that bad. That's a pretty decent hit rate.
Speaker 3: I feel like walking away with a run time of a longer run time of good stuff than you would for most anthologies, like halfway okay, Like I don't know, they're like there, I think you're right, it's about I feel like it's almost like half and half. But there are some gems in ABC's of Death, like I've I love I can't remember who made d for Dogfight that's probably my favorite one. And then I love Jason Eisner's Young Buck in there too, Like I just I don't know. Those are so good and there's so many good ones in here. This was a really cool release.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For those that have never seen this or heard of this, the I guess the shtick to it is that it's twenty six different shorts, all done with a certain letter to be the ABC's of death. There's stuff like a's for Apocalypse, b's for Bigfoot, f is for fart rs for that one's great part is great.
Speaker 3: It's from the guy who did It's from the guy who did the Machine Girl. It's so good.
Speaker 4: It is messy to say the least.
Speaker 2: Dell's saying he only liked four or five of the twenty sixteen Uh oh, yeah, there is a new love death in the Robots season. That's right, Golden says. I checked out fis for Bartwood watching it and said, that's a.
Speaker 4: Lot for me. Honestly, Golden, I get it. I totally get it.
Speaker 2: Next up, you mentioned the French Extremity Box, and they are putting out a second set on October eighth of their new extremity collection. This covers Doberman in My Skin, which everybody and their mother is releasing right now. Yeah, twenty nine Palms and a Fat Girl. We get lots of new extras on this. Literally every single film is getting new extras extreme films. How do you feel about stuff like this?
Speaker 3: I really, I mean, I like when I was growing up, like when I was kind of discovering who I was as a filmmaker. Like it was around like, you know, the mid two thousands, so it was a big part of that splat pack boom. So like I was, you know, you know a lot of the American stuff, but also kind of really enjoying that, but then also kind of going off and finding the kind of diving into French extremity and discovering that and being like, oh shit, they're not fucking around like and so like I've always had like a very soft spot for French extremity. So I've been like over the moon that Umbrella has been putting these out. I'm really really excited for this one.
Speaker 2: So one of the things I wanted to point out because I don't think I highlighted it enough on the first release when they announced the Volume one. I am excited that we get a company that is putting out a collection of films like this that, yes, at the heart they're new French extremity, so there's like a genre leaning where they're all tied together, but they didn't just lean into the title. Every single thing gets very similar and stylized key art, everything is built to look the same. That is really cool, and we don't get a lot of opportunities to.
Speaker 4: See something like that, and I'm glad they're doing it.
Speaker 2: It could have easily just been the original poster art on the cases on the inside, and it might even be on the on the flip side. But for those that like stylized releases like this so great. I love that they're doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah that like that art for twenty nine Palms alone, Like I would I want to like frame that, like that's so cool.
Speaker 2: Well you do get a poster, Yeah, yeah, this is this is a fun set. I know that there's been some rumblings of some of the French extremity getting like some bigger releases from some other more popular labels, But if this tickles you in the right way, I mean it matches the first volume perfectly too, So it's kind of a really great one two punch the hard part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like in my skin.
Speaker 2: It has got two other four K releases now from Radiance and from seven and Doberman just got to release a couple of years ago, and twenty nine Palms just got to release a couple years ago. I don't think Fact Girl's got a big boutique release reach.
Speaker 3: I think it's that's Criterion isn't it. Didn't they put that out?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes it was a while ago, but yes, it's definitely not four K. So I don't think you got a word about that.
Speaker 2: And I don't even think there was like a ton on the disc, So even then, this might be better than the Criterion disc. But I totally get waiting. Yeah, I've heard that there's a couple that have never been released in the US prop that might be getting US releases soon. I have no confirmation on that, but it would be cool to see. All right, next up, Oh man, this is so cool. Lionsgate putting out a this part sucks an Amazon exclusive four K release of but I'm a Cheerleader from nineteen ninety nine. This is coming on August twenty sixth. A lot of people saw this picture were confused because it looks like the classic lions Gate plastic cover over a steel book. From what I can tell, there's no steel book. Nothing looks like a steel book to me, and there's nothing in the listing this says steel book. I believe this is just a slipcover over a case basically, But I'm a Cheerleader.
Speaker 4: Have you seen this?
Speaker 3: I had long time ago and it was like one of those things that like as like I think I was like in my early teens. When I saw it, I remember being like, this looks stupid, Like I'm I'm thirteen, this is this doesn't look like what I want to watch. And then my brother was just like, no, no, no, it's like really good. You should watch it. And I watched it and loved it, and I actually did not realize that because I saw this announcement, I didn't realize it was a four K that's awesome.
Speaker 2: That is exciting, and the better thing is it sucks because it's kind of a double dip. Like people were surprised a couple of years ago when I got a Blu ray release, but it was it was a messy rollout of the release, to say the least, because half literally, and this is where it gets really weird, half of their release of this came out as burned just BDR Blu rays, not even pressed, and then the other half came as press Blu rays. So nobody was like, what's the rhyme or reason here that what they're doing nothing is proper, And so if you wanted to order it, it was sort of a gambler are you going to get the proper release or are you going to get some burn thing that may not last as long. And now all of those people are getting burned a little bit because we're properly getting a four K release, which is great, but you know a lot of people were like, yeah, we finally get it, and then got a terrible release for them just to fix it. So, yeah, Ronnie wants to know if it's the director's cut. I can find confirmation either way. Unfortunately, I'm going to bet that it's the exact same that was on the Blu ray, So I don't think that was the director's cut. But Ronnie, do you know, I don't remember there being much of a difference, Like it's only like two quick parts of a couple scenes. Maybe, but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I saw the director's cut. This is an amazing movie. Everybody should see it. It's incredible, very important movie. Harvey from nineteen fifty This is a four K release coming from Universal directly on August nineteenth. This is the James Stewart film about a wealthy drunk who starts having visions of a giant rabbit named Harvey. I've never seen this. This is rather great that this is getting a four K release, though, have you seen.
Speaker 3: I've actually never seen Harvey. But it's like one of those of you that's been on my radar for a very long time, and now I feel like cool that I waited until it got a four K to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Craig, Harvey is available for pre order.
Speaker 4: I saw it up on Amazon.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's been anywhere else yet, but yeah, you can pre order there and it's actually I think it's pretty cheap.
Speaker 4: It's like twenty two right now or something else.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Sance has never seen Harvey.
Speaker 3: The fuck.
Speaker 4: I've never even heard of Harvey until this got announced. I gotta be honest, See.
Speaker 3: I remember, I remember. This is very funny, Like I remember when I saw Donnie Darko the first time. My like very snobbish brother was just like, oh well, it's just a rip off of Harvey and looking and I don't think the movies are the same at all, but it's just like there's about imaginary talking rabbits.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we all end up in that space at some point in our lives. I guess.
Speaker 2: August twenty sixth oh, Craig was saying about Cheerleader. Cheerleader is an Amazon exclusive and that is available to pre order on Amazon. All right, Next up, Lords of Discipline. This got announced previously and we finally got some details. This is coming on August twenty sixth from Keno on a release and on a Blu Ray release. You can just pick up the Blu Ray if you want. This is going to be a brand new HDR Dolby Vision Master, which I believe in this was announced, it was only announced as an SDR Master, so a little bit of an upgrade.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: New audio commentary by some of the men that always do these. We got Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson, and then we've got Pat Conroy, the historian Lynn Smith who is dedicated to Pat Conroy. So I'm glad this is getting a good release. Never seen this one and don't know anything about it.
Speaker 3: Same like the poster though. It's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks nice.
Speaker 2: The Innkeepers we talked about it earlier. If you are not in the UK or you don't want to import, Dark Sky Selects is selling The Innkeepers over on their website. This is a four K steel book and it's got the same bonus features that are coming on the second site release. I believe, And I gotta be honest, like I said, I don't always love steel books. This one's pretty nice. It's like minimalist are that really fits the film, that is just really decent.
Speaker 4: Can't really complain about that.
Speaker 3: Do you know if it's because I remember when dark Sky released their Texas Chainsaw release, their HDA or the UHD of that. I remember thinking like, oh cool, I won't need to import the second site and then I found out second site's restoration was completely different than that one. Do you happen to know if these it's the same.
Speaker 2: I don't know offhand, but I'm willing to bet that they're the same. I think dark Sky are dark Sky has given up trying to compete at that point and they've just said, yeah, we'll take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Would not surprise me at all.
Speaker 2: And a reminder, you can only get this on their website unless it sells really poorly, then they'll probably put it on Amazon, kind of like they did with that Giant Texas chainsaw thing. Ty West Are you ty Ty West guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I I It's like I again, I think I appreciate his vision for his movies. Like even the movies that Ty West does that don't necessarily work for me, I still again am just like, well, I'm super glad that someone is making those. That being said, he does make some movies that really are just like home runs with me and like for me, like I love Pearl and I love House of the Devil, like I just I adore both those movies. I was actually kind of bummed that House of the Devil wasn't getting a four K from second sight, But what are you gonna do? But it's he's one of those filmmakers where it's it's I am, I'm I'm gonna I'm gonna pick this up. I'm gonna pick up innkeepers on four K. I just like his kind of ethos and where his like his point of view in making movies. Always appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did a show a few months ago on Larry Festenden and Ty West is from the Larry Festenden crowd.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Festenden is a producer on this and did a bunch of stuff with Ty So I for some reason just all of like that group tend to hit for me, like the way that they film the stories they tell something about it.
Speaker 4: It just feels right, I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, all right, so that's the innkeepers all right. We've not talked about Black Zero in a long time. Black Zero is a company in Canada that is ran by Stephen Brumer. He's done some extras for some other companies. He's in fact on some upcoming Deaf Crocodile releases. We'll be talking about him soon. These are primarily very experimental films. They're sort of all over the place, and when he puts these out, he is essentially somebody like gold Ninja Video, who is doing it all from his house to make these really great releases out of Canada, just like justin at Gold Ninja, and he puts everything you possibly can. So this first release, it's three releases, and there's be a lot of details here. The films and videos of Christine Lucy Latimer, all three of these are available now. By the way, these defy their containers. They reveal the fragile systems underlying media press, the boundaries of image making machines, and embrace the faults and frailties of vision. Almost all of Latimer's work is silent, but nothing is truly silent. Latimer's images recall the hums, tweets, and mechanical moans of the technology with which she made them. Her work began long after most of the format she employees had become obsolete. Refusing the universal nostalgia of the antique camera and the antique image, Latimer's works are an undeniably present facing and playfully disobedient, ethereal and abstract, supremely self conscious yet mystical. They are seances that dry out the ghosts in the machine. These are all from two thousand and two to twenty twenty one, and there are seventeen different projects from Lader on this disc. Lots of stuff on here. The main feature here is sixty one minutes. Some stuff is in black and white, some is in color. They've got all kinds of different aspect ratios. And then on top of all that, because just like justin the Gold Ninja, he puts a lot in bonus features. So we've got digital masters approved by the artist Christine Lucy Latimer. We've got a new interview with Christie. We've got fourteen additional project specific interviews throughout the disc on Fragile Systems.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Stephen Brumer also does a visual essay himself, and then there's some selected audio commentary. So essentially, if you're buying this disc, you're gonna be able to live in it for hours and hours because there's so much here. I don't even know where to start. I mean, amazing looking release, so sold.
Speaker 3: I'm totally unfamiliar with Latimer, but that this just sounds like something so at my alley.
Speaker 2: So that's basically how I feel reading every single one of his releases. Let's go to the second one. This one is a Crisis Collision Resolve. These are projects from nineteen ninety one to twenty seventeen, and this says through the course of the nineteen eighties, Canadian artist filmmaker Richard Kerr had gradually moved towards an accelerated cinema, an imagistic cinema of movement, montage and aggressive sound design. Kerr's work in this accelerated cinema became increasingly total at the same time that he became invested in the model of the teacher practitioner, collaborating directly with the students and working with simple, accessible tools. This gathers thirteen of Kurz films made between ninety one and twenty seventeen, chronicling an important phase in his creative evolution, Crisis. Collision Resolve serves as a portrait of an artist pushing the limits of the moving image while pitching a dynamic dialogue between pedagoguey, collective action, and personal vision. Lots of stuff here the main feature two and a half hours long, So again you are getting tons of extras, newly restored digital masters approved by the director, new interview with Richard Kerr, visual essay on Kurz Demimond by Canadian filmmaker Stephen Broomer who runs the label, and then some liner notes in this again like sounds very interesting, nothing I had ever heard of in my life. I feel the exact same as Ronnie. I wish I had the budget to take a chance on all these. Ben says you can find trailers for these on their YouTube.
Speaker 4: Go check that out out.
Speaker 2: And then the final one from Black Zero is Slow Run, which is it looks to me at least to be the least experimental of these. Slow Run is a raw lyrical portrait of New York City seen through the eyes of a young Canadian exile, the filmmaker Larry Kardish at twenty three years old, had made his first and the only film is a candid love letter to the city. A litany of fascinations and complaints. Cardish blends a dreamlike street photography, intimate portraiture, and rhapsodic monologue performed by the filmmaker's fictional surrogate, a young Canadian expat. The narration accounts the lives and relationships of a group of young bohemians and unfolds in parallels to the imagery rather than in dialogue with it, creating at tension between voice and vision, presence and distance. This is from I think it's a nineteen sixty eight and extras on this. We've got a new digital restoration approved by Larry Krdish. There's a new interview with Larry Kardish. There is a visual essay by Stephen Brmer again and then liner notes by David Spidel. It's an eighty minute feature in black and white. And to me, this sounds incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm really, I mean, I'm actually not gonna lie like I'm pretty unfamiliar with that label. So I'm really excited to dive in and look more into these, Like, I really want to check these out.
Speaker 2: So Black Zero. For those like Andres that had never heard of these, we are looking at a label. Like I said, it's one guy literally making these in his living room. These are burned discs, high quality burned discs, so you don't have to worry about I'm dying in a couple weeks or anything. These are going to be delivered in cases. They're delivered usually with liner notes. They're professionally made as much as he can from his home, and pricing wise, for what you're getting, they're kind of astonishingly cheap considering he is putting these together himself. It's basically like boutique level delivery on the cheapest possible way to get them.
Speaker 4: In your hands.
Speaker 2: The hard part is it's Canada, so shipping is gonbe be a little bit of a bitch.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: The best way to do it is either find a friend that is super into experimental cinema, which, lucky enough for you, nobody else likes experimental cinema, so you're true.
Speaker 4: But if you get a couple.
Speaker 2: That you're into and spread that love around. He's got a bunch of stuff that he had released previously that's still up on the site. Usually there's are fairly limited at least like the booklets and stuff you can you can buy the releases and he will get them to you a nice and safe little hint. I'm planning on having him on the channel. Steven's gonna come talk about these films and share why they are important to capture.
Speaker 3: That's awesome with them and Gold Ninja, like that's I mean, I'll just start out there. I love Gold Ninja and always feel like Justin does the same thing a little bit where it's like the pricing is right, Like I just I really appreciate the pricing on his stuff and it also ends up balancing out that shipping. So I don't know, I'm I'm I don't know. I guess I love one man Canadian.
Speaker 4: Nables is Pacific kink. I love that.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, if somebody has never paid attention to Gold Ninja, I've been re listening to some stuff that incredible friend of the Channel, Bill Ackerman has done on the show supporting characters Gold Ninja. Justin d Klue has this incredible interview that he did with Bill years ago that's I don't know, like two and a half hours long, but you hear about the genesis of Gold Ninja and everything he's done, and is something about Justin is just infectious. And I don't mean in a medical way. I mean you are just excited about movies. To hear him talk about this stuff, and to hear why they're cheap when he's able to put these out, to hear why he puts out as much as he can on the disc, it's I don't know, there's something very inspiring about it.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things is the first because whenever I get a Gold Ninja release, the first thing I do is I check what the secret movie is. Yeah, and there's I just love his intros too, Like it's like that you're saying, or he just that dude just loves movies so much and gets so excited about just the most obscure, like Hong Kong movie that no one has ever heard of, that played on one TV channel once like forty years ago, like it's I'll.
Speaker 2: Love it and somehow he saw it thirty four years ago and he's been chasing it down since then, and yes, was his life's work and here it is.
Speaker 4: Next up.
Speaker 2: As if we haven't talked about enough sales, tonight, Vinegar Syndrome, of course, on the first of July, is having one of their subscriber Week specials, which means there's gonna be deals, there's gonna be your only other chance to subscribe for the second half of the year.
Speaker 4: And man, we got a lot to talk about here.
Speaker 2: They are calling it their Alien Invasion Summer Subscriber Week. This is coming to us at twelve oh one pm Eastern on July first, which means not the midnight show. You don't got to stay up late, you get come at noon the next day. And I'll be running all the way through July seventh at eleven to fifty nine pm. We are God, there's so much here, it's kind of crazy. So the unveiling of three new Vineger Syndrome titles, including the UHD debut of a film by Dario Argento, Another Giant Monster on UHD, the latest double of sixties Rouffies from Distrip Picks, and Something Weird, will also be revealed. Twenty two different partner label releases good Lord, one of them from a brand new partner label. Amongst them the recent VSP theatrical release of They Call Her Death, which has been getting pretty decent reviews. That one's gonna be released not by VSP or Vinegar Syndrome but by Yellow Veil actually, and then of course an abundance of new merch and clothing. Every day at noon there will be new sub label releases, so they want you to come back to the site every single day next week, so be prepared for that. Mail u Seen will also have a big budget epic from Quality X, a peakorama blu ray of two Vinegar Syndrome classics and then the distrip picks and something weird ruffy double. You'll be able to get that on the mail you Scene site as well. So our schedule this is where it gets crazy. So July first, three Vinegar Syndrome titles, the two partner labels, new merch, catalog slipcovers, and then a bunch of stuff is going to be on sale. The next day, new stuff is going to go on sale, and we already get another VSU, even though we just got one in May, We're already getting another one the following day. July third, we get a new cinematograph and then a refresh of deals. July fourth, refresher deals and then a new VSL. July fifth will be a VSA and a bunch of new daily deals that VSA. By the way, I believe they have said that it's a trilogy, and there is a rumor online that it's a trauma trilogy. I don't remember what the title was, but we were talking about it in the discord today. And then July sixth is a brand new Degausser they're gonna be doing their Blu ray release. And then of course the fancy led VHS if you want it, plus new deals, and then the final day a cinematograph title and new daily deals. That's right, two cinematograph titles, next week's VSU, a VSA trilogy, a VSL three vinegar sindrome titles, twenty two partner label releases, merch deals.
Speaker 4: Holy god, that is so much for one week.
Speaker 3: We just finished partners only month or just we're not even done with it yet. I just I feel like I just put in my order for the uh, just like I bit on that Saturn's Core ten disc set. No, Uh, it just doesn't end. That never ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it's gonna be rough. There's a lot here. I see some speculating on titles and people being excited about some stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's a lot to cover here.
Speaker 2: So, uh, first off, Dario Argenta for care, are you into to Argenta likest of us?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, any speculation what you think this might be?
Speaker 3: Then, I don't know. I'm trying to think about what is missing from his four K of stuff that people would actually want to see, because I feel like, now, you know what, I feel like, there is some later Argento stuff that I feel like gets a bad rap that I kind of still enjoy, but I just can't imagine they're gonna do a four K for card Player or something like that, like as much as I enjoy that movie. But I don't know. So I'm i'm I'm I'm am I missing something. I'm like forgetting because I feel like Severn like basically covered everything else that that every other Yeah.
Speaker 2: I done, Severn did the off the wall stuff. Oh Sam's watching live. Sam says may have a cover in this batch. Interesting, dying to see what that is. Yeah, so the argentle Piece. There's a few things. I'm my guess and I know nothing. By the way, I know nothing about this batch of releases. I'm betting that this is just gonna be a really boring Argento upgrade that people will be like, Okay, we've had nine releases of this, so I think it's gonna be something like Sleepless most likely because that's been a little easier to license in the past, and it's an Argento four K, so it'll sell well for them. That being said, there are some things that could be decent here. I've seen a bunch of people speculate that it could be Mother of Tears, which is never even gotten a Blu Ray release in the States.
Speaker 3: I have that that's a dimension extreme DVD YEP.
Speaker 2: So on that note, because it hasn't gotten a Blu Ray and it specifically says a UHD debut, not a high definition review debut, I have a feeling that it will not be that, and there's probably a problem with that in the US. It's probably got some rights issues that it will just not be able to come out. We got some people guessing Inferno. The issue here for John and for Sibner, I am I am hearing, and the big rumor for the last few years was that Disney owns the rights to Inferno, so it was never gonna be able to happen in the US. I had also heard from somebody else that they had looked into it, and Disney doesn't own the rights, but I don't think it's going to be Inferno anytime soon. Unfortunately, Underground release that then, because they released that Blue God.
Speaker 4: What is the release date on that?
Speaker 3: That's an old one. I remember picking that up forever ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Inferno originally came out in two thousand and eleven, So that's why in fourteen years a lot happened, like they hadn't even owned Fox yet. The hard part with our gento, and this is where I don't mean to talk shit, but we're gonna go there for a second. Made He's made some real stinkers, Like there's a few movies that this could be that people are just be like, oh God, And honestly that includes Mother of Tears. Most people hate that movie that have seen it. He's made some really bad movies, but just attaching his name to it will get people excited.
Speaker 4: In p oh a.
Speaker 3: Dracula three d UHD would sell out with a slipcover in five minutes.
Speaker 4: It's true, It's true. I really could not argue with that.
Speaker 2: There was I think I missed a clue for a Cinematograph title, Oh here it is including the four K debut of a new Hollywood masterpiece. So that has people speculating some big things of what this could be. Cinematograph has played a little lucy goosey to say the be the least about this. So what's a new Hollywood masterpiece? It could be a handful of things. It could be a real masterpiece. It could be something from a director that everybody loves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, this could be many different things.
Speaker 3: No idea, but I mean everything they've announced through through that, I mean, Cinematograph has been a home run.
Speaker 4: So nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a lot to go over. Next week is gonna be busy. Uh, it's gonna be hectic. It's gonna be so tiring for me posting all these announcements. Yeah, the show next week with Will is going to be hillacious because I'm also hearing and I think the way that I have this right shout Factory. They're they're announcing their stuff on Monday, and I believe that they have specifically stated that they have and I can't believe I'm saying this about shot Factory, but twenty five releases not not Films releases.
Speaker 4: Coming out on Monday.
Speaker 2: And if that's the case, dear God, because we are we are likely getting at least one to six of these new Golden Princess titles that they're putting out of the Agent stuff getting announced.
Speaker 4: But that's only a little bit.
Speaker 2: If there's actually twenty five releases, that's a lot of stuff to upgrade to four K in one month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's uh. And especially so I have like PTSD from missing the Slumber Party Massacre two three blu ray because Summer Party Massacre two is like one of my favorite movies ever made, and I'm like so thankful that they re released it with the first one on four K, but not having the third one haunted me for like six years until I finally found a copy that wasn't like absurdly priced. But like, so, if they release Slummer Party Massacre three on four K, I'm I will be very happy, but I will be very sad.
Speaker 2: So I believe that is impossible from what I've heard behind this same me too, so thankfully that is probably not happening. Craig says, maybe we should just pile on and announce everything we have lined up all the way into twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Next week course, oh my gosh, I would love it. Mozart Ghostas. Next week will be a support groups.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's gonna be a long week next week, so be prepared and everybody.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's vinegar syndrome. We'll we'll be here all next week.
Speaker 2: Next up from Keno, following up everything we just talked about with The Rock August twenty six, we're getting a four K of The Rundown, the two thousand and three film with Sean William Scott.
Speaker 4: The Rundown.
Speaker 2: This movie is worth watching at least once for Christopher Walkin. Not much else, but he is rather funny in this. This is gonna have new audio commentary by Mike Leader and Matt Rutledge and everything else on here is a archival extra.
Speaker 4: But the Rundown, How do you feel about this one?
Speaker 3: You know, I was like a junior in high school and this came out, So I definitely have like a little bit of nostalgia for this like early two thousands garbage. But I'm not going to extol like that's some hidden masterpiece. But I do appreciate that Keno is giving it a little bit of attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice they were able to run down the rights. I'm sure I should have tried harder. Eighty eight films. They've got a bunch of titles. They announced that they will likely be delaying here soon. That's a joke. They did not announce that. They did announce these titles first. One September twenty ninth, we got a four K and Blu Ray release coming in the UK of Heart of Dragon, the Jackie Chan film from nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 4: They had done this on Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, twenty twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, something like that. I don't know if that one's been available steal, but it's nice to see this come out. It's got Samo hung in it. A lot of people love this one. This is going to have two versions of the movie. You get the Hong Kong cut and the Japanese Extended cut, which is eight minutes longer.
Speaker 4: There is a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Different soundtrack options on this, all kinds of archival extras, new audio commentary by David West. There is a making of special It's almost forty nine minutes long, behind the scenes special video for the pre release event of this, but they are kind of crushing it with the Jackie Chan four K right now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, I'm eighty eight. It's just like the care that they've treated, just like Hong Kong gen or cinema is. I am so greatly appreciative of it, and I don't know, like this is what I actually haven't seen. I will watch any Jackie Chan movie, any Samo Hung movie, So I'm very very excited to check this one out.
Speaker 2: Chris is sharing that the brand new release from Fun City Editions is only fifteen ninety nine right now. Breaking Glass is fifteen ninety nine on Amazon. That's pretty damn cheap. Good to know, Chris. Thanks, this is something that made a lot of people have September twenty second, eighty eight is putting out a four K and blu ray release of Hackers from ninety five.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about Hackers, sir?
Speaker 3: I have never seen it is This is a huge blind spot for me. It's one that I have very much. I keep meaning to get this shout select four K that they released, but I just haven't yet. But I've been wanting to. I mean, I keep hearing from everyone who's ever seen it that I would love this movie.
Speaker 4: So yeah, this is this is a classic.
Speaker 2: Most people that have seen this love it for so many different ways. Matthew Lillard is great in this and got like third building on the cover of this, which I don't love, but I am. I'm stoked that this is coming out from A eight Films. I don't think they've had a really great release over in the UK, so that's nice for them. This one, we've got a brand new four K remaster. I don't think it's any different from the Shout one. I think that they're using the exact same one and calling it a brand new four K remaster because it's brand new to the UK. Probably nothing different. But the big thing here, you got Dolby Vision on this, and you've got Dolby Atmos, which the Shout release does not have atmos. So if you're super into great sound, this is the one to get for sure. We've got audio commentary by the director and Mark Kermode on this, and then a look back at Hackers, a brand new interview with the director and some cast members and all that stuff. I don't know that those are actually brand new again. I think they're kind of playing loose with the definition of new because that's new to the UK and it happened at the same time as The Shout and they were brand new then.
Speaker 4: I don't know, there's a weird way to justify it. But good movie.
Speaker 2: A lot of people love it. It's very very nineteen nineties. It will feel so dated if you're watching it for the first time, but worth it for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's rocking a floppy disk on the cover, so.
Speaker 4: He's got to hack the planet til.
Speaker 2: Then next up from them as nineteen seventy three's The Man Called Noon coming on Blu Ray in the UK on September eighth. This is a let's see it says, all he knows is that he lost his memory after an accident during a shootout. But why do those men want him dead? Turns out he's a man with a past, a master gunfighter with the history of violence, and while he might have forgotten who he is, his enemies certainly have it. This is a classic euro Western with an unusual pedigree, made not by Italians but by Brits and I believe Keno released this previously, so there may be another option out there to get this for cheaper. I think it's still available if I remember right. There's an audio commentary on here by Lee Broughton. There's also an audio commentary this one is brand new for sure, by Troy Howarth and Eugenie or Kilani. New artwork looks great on this film, but I have certainly never seen this. How do you feel about Westerns overall?
Speaker 3: Oh? Love love westerns. I grew up in a house where my mom was obsessed with Westerns, and so that's what she was always watching growing up. And I don't know, just really that stuff's like catnip to me. I actually wrote my first Western this year, my first like actual Western. I don't know if it's ever going to get made, but I don't know. I love love western so I'm I'm absolutely all in on checking this one out.
Speaker 4: Fairy, Now are you? Are you leaning heavily into the Western tropes out there? Of course?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a it's an anthology with some fantastical elements, But I like to think that, like I was paying paying the right amount of tribute while trying to do something a little a little.
Speaker 4: Different, interesting, very interesting.
Speaker 3: They'll go ahead.
Speaker 4: He wants to know if you're a John Wayne fan.
Speaker 3: Uh. I like his movies. I am less thrilled about the man.
Speaker 4: You don't want to be his best friend?
Speaker 3: No, not really, but I do. I mean, I like John Wayne movies, so yeah, no, no complaints there, but I can't say I would ever really want to be the man's friend. But I do love like classic American westerns. I love I mean, I love obviously spaghetti westerns is, but like there is something really just I love about like the old like fifties, black and white American westerns too, So I just I like them all.
Speaker 4: So that is really cool. And now they want to know, are you a James Stewart fan?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh yeah, I mean I yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Yes, easiest answer possible. One more, I think or no. Two more from eighty eight films. Shadows Own the Full Moon Full Moon film, also coming on Blu Ray in the UK on September eighth.
Speaker 4: This is wild art for this movie.
Speaker 2: But uh, it's gonna have an audio commentary by Dave Wayne and Matty Boudwitz.
Speaker 4: I believe that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the only extra coming on this.
Speaker 4: This is done by the same director of Oh Gosh, Now I'm forgetting I think he did?
Speaker 3: Was it? Slayer?
Speaker 4: I don't remember, but yeah, Shadow Zone, how do you feel about Full Moon? Full Moon stuff? For you into the way?
Speaker 3: I really love Full Moon too. I again, not not that they hit every time, but like I don't know, I have such a soft spot for like the puppet Master franchise. Like I know they kind of at a certain point maybe are there's a little bit of a decrease in quality, but like I really like the first five and like I don't know, Like I I just think that like when they hit, they hit, and they kind of ride that line that they're they're like almost kind of on the level of like trauma movies, where it's like this is like the right amount of trash, but it's elevated just a little bit because of like the spirit, like I love. I was so stoked that Bad Channel's got a Blu Ray release I have. I've had that DVD for a hot minute. So yeah, I'm I'm I love, I love Full Moon stuff.
Speaker 2: We're we're getting pretty low on number of titles that need a Blu Ray from Full Moon titles now. It's kind of crazy how many of like actually come out throughout the years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're really good releases too, Like their four k they release for PUPA Master three is really good.
Speaker 4: There's such a crazy sentence that we can say, and it's.
Speaker 3: Weirdly the only one they put on on UHP. But it's it's a great release.
Speaker 4: It's true eighty eight films.
Speaker 2: The Kings of the cover art that I have to censor September fifteenth on Blu Ray in the UK as part of their French collection is Her and She and Him from nineteen seventy. This is supposedly pretty damn good, like one of the better of the French films that they've released so far. This is directed by Max Peakus. He's had a couple of films come out through Monto Micabro in the US. This has Let's calm down and talk about Max Paus featurette. There is a Max Peakus's Grave featurette, some additional scenes from the US version, a trailer, alternate title sequence. But yeah, everybody is probably gonna buy this for the art that is that is it. Yeah, I am definitely gonna be picking this one up, and not just for the art. It looks like a really great movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's one I'm not familiar with at all's but always interested in the French stuff that the eighty eight deems necessary to release.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's some questionable ones.
Speaker 2: Over in the UK, One to one Films is releasing Bad Lieutenant on four K on August eighteenth. This of course got a UK or four K from Keno here in the States fairly recently. Once again they've got listed as brand new extras an interview with Abel Ferrara. There's a location feature right on Bad Lieutenant. There's a limited booklet with a bunch of new writing, including friend of the channel Rich Johnson, who's on this one. Then archival extras. There is a Making a Bad Lieutenant, an older audio commentary Have you seen Bad Lieutenant?
Speaker 3: I have not, Actually i've actually not. I My like blossoming appreciation for Able Fererra's stuff is happened later in life, so I feel like I'm still catching up, Like I still haven't seen the the arrow release of King of New York. But I mean, like I love Driller Killer, Love Miss forty five. That's actually probably one of my favorite movies. So excited for the UHD of that coming out. But I have not not checked this one out yet, but I really want to.
Speaker 2: I don't love this one. I love Harvey Kitell and other stuff so much more. But this is for a lot of people that like this movie. They like worship this movie. It's a very stylized movie for sure, and Ferrara maybe a little hit or miss. But man, I really want to know when is that MS or Miss forty five. I was gonna says twenty three is a joke, but I probably shouldn't or MS thirteen, but yeah, Miss forty five. Let's get a brand new release of that in print from someone?
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my god, because that's that era has have they officially an essay yet? Or is that just a that's a a rumor.
Speaker 4: I guess it's been like a very public rumor that Arrow might have it right.
Speaker 3: Well, I could not be more excited if that's a reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love to see Erro do that. Okay, So we mentioned sales earlier. Keino Lover has launched their Spring into Summer sale. There are more than seven hundred titles on sale. You get free shipping at sixty dollars and over. This sale ends on July twenty first. That's a long ways away, so you got a little over three weeks. This is one of the bigger Quinolber sales. So this is like every two and a half months, echh, every three months, they'll do a sale like this. It's not there, Hey, it's Friday, and six things are discounted by eight percent. Now, these are like the eight dollars titles to eighteen dollars four k's Keino. Are you somebody that goes and trolls through these sales when they come.
Speaker 3: Up, I've already done it. I already have my car logged up in everything. There's a bunch of I mean, because that's the thing I love, and I think I realized it today, Like it just it generally across the board feels like a lot lot of stuff's getting more expensive for the sales aren't getting as good. I love that Keno is still, like I swear to God, like some of the four k's in there were like sixteen sixteen ninety nine, Like I was like, oh, they're getting cheaper. Yeah, so uh yeah. I always drop. I always feel like I load my basket up with like way too much stuff and then have to make some very difficult cuts get it down to like a sane number. But I'm I'm already I've already got my cart loaded up for this this cycle.
Speaker 2: Every time this sale goes live, I go and ad, it's a really stupid number. We're talking like sixty titles to my cart, and I'm like, yeah, these would all be great. And then the first thing I gotta do is go, Okay, how many of these do I already have? And it ends up being a really embarrassingly high number. And after that, I'm like, oh, there's only twenty four left. That's not too bad, right, And then I look at that and I go, do.
Speaker 4: I really need a four K upgrade to this one? No?
Speaker 2: Probably not? And then after that pair down, I'm down to like eleven. I'm like, okay, but do I need to buy eleven things? Probably not this till like as close to sixty. So there's there's a lot of embarrassing cuts there, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah I don't have Yeah, I'm, I'm, I'm. And that's the thing. Like Keno's the breadth of the stuff they put out, Like I remember, like during their last sale, it was like I picked up the h and or Puffin Stuff movie and and uh boe mos like just in the same order, and like seeing those come in the same package from the same label. I was like, I really love this. I love that they're putting these out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty red.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next up is another sale speaking of full Moon. There fourth of July sale is live. This is uh one of their better sales. Again, Full Moon does not do a lot of full sight wide sales. If you're gonna shop at the sale, click that link that I just put in the chat there. It helps me out ever so tiny amounts if you don't mind. There's stuff on sale that's not been on sale yet. Like, the big thing for me is the Subspecies coffin set is on sale and it's under one hundred bucks, and that thing is usually pretty expensive. They've got Delirium magazines on sale. They've got their box sets on sale. I believe they are sold out of their mystery boxes already that they were doing, but I mean there's figures for sale. It's kind of crazy what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, that's another one where I've I've again already loaded up my cart and I have some very difficult decisions to make. Nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Full Mood is is a little wild, all right. Let's talk about raw meat.
Speaker 2: We talked about this a couple months ago when they teased that it was coming, but we got some details. So September thirtieth, Blue Underground is releasing on four K, on Blu Ray and on DVD Raw Meat aka Deathline that they had released previously. You can get this on September thirtieth with a new restoration. They don't mention a new scan. It's probably the exact same scan. It's just been more restored. This is a brand new restoration from the what do they call here? Sixteen bit from the uncensored OCN with Dolby Vision HDR and a new Dolby at most audio mix. On this disc, we're gonna have a commentary number one with the director, writer Gary Sherman, the producer Paul Maslansky, and then the ad Lewis Moore, o'ferrell, second commentary with Nathaniel Thompson and Troy Howarth, and then on the Blu Ray disc there are some archival extras on their newly expanded poster and stills gallery, all kinds of stuff on their Blue Underground.
Speaker 4: Are you into their stuff?
Speaker 3: Love them? I wish they released more stuff like I theyre actually like when I first started getting into like actually collecting more, you know, extensively, Like they were definitely one of the labels that, like early on I really got into and like they just had just put out a bunch of really awesome releases, and I think, like I really appreciate their commitment to like kind of going back to all their titles basically and doing four K upgrades. Again, I wish they released more stuff. Like I'm always like, oh shit, Blue Underground, I like forgot about them for a second, so but I'm always like super stoked when they do, like I'm I'm so I'm definitely picking this one up.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: I forgot about this via Vision Over in Australia. On October first, is releasing I'm not kidding here, which for many people it would sound like a joke, but yeah, this is This is Fully Real, a DVD collection of seasons one through twenty three of Air Crash Investigation.
Speaker 4: Yes, twenty three seasons of this show.
Speaker 2: This has taking viewers behind the scenes with gripping reenactments, re enactments, eyewitness accounts, and interviews with investigators. The series uncovers the truth behind the most legendary aviation disasters. This is going to be on sixty three Dishesschrist housed in custom made black box replica packaging. This is this is like nineteen different adjectives. This is very very silly. This is also really nerdy. This is also super cool. Like a show like this, I would never expect to get a physical media release like that, and to get a like full blown collector's edition in a giant black box.
Speaker 4: Is super ballsy and I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is great. Is there a price on there? Like? I have to imagine this is insanely.
Speaker 2: Expect Okay, So a reminder, this is coming from Via Vision, who is the owner of Imprint Films, So normally you would expect this to be a huge number coming from Imprint. Uh, what is your guess on this in US dollars?
Speaker 3: My gut is saying in the realm of like two point fifty.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's that's very low. Remember that the never Ending Story is one.
Speaker 2: Uh this thing it's one hundred and eighty two dollars.
Speaker 4: Wow, sixty three discs is.
Speaker 3: Like that's kind of bread. That like makes me want to buy a show about airplane crashes that I've never heard of before.
Speaker 2: Right, So this is eighty dollars more than just the never ending story steal book.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: Uh, yes, it is only DVD, but it is sixty three DVDs in a black box.
Speaker 4: Now, there is one thing that bugs me about this. It's twenty twenty five and there's not subtitles on this at all. That rubs me the wrong way. Danny says he just wants the black well that the black box itself is four hundred dollars, so good. Yeah, I I don't know.
Speaker 2: What else to say about this friend out of the show Alex as he kind of kind of wants it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of want it too.
Speaker 2: But also I'm never watching twenty three seasons of air crash investigations.
Speaker 3: I know, but like, I want to have the option to.
Speaker 4: This thing weighs three kilograms.
Speaker 3: It's like my favorite release of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a seven pound black box just hanging in your movie room.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: Oh, sixty three subtitleist discs in two generation old format.
Speaker 4: No big deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there is a fundraiser going on from Pulse for a book on the adventures of Bud Spencer and Terence Hill that this is really dang neat. It's also gonna come with an exclusive documentary. You can go check this out on Kickstarter. Now there's all kinds of stuff you can pick up on the rewards. Pulse does this a couple times a year with some really great options for their Kickstarter stuff, and it's always just super neat what they're diving into and giving choices for, like the big thing. Pulse for those that don't know, Pulses, I believe is headquartered in France. I think they're a French company, but they're like, you know what, we want everybody to enjoy this. So for the book itself, there's like four different language options to choose from.
Speaker 3: That's that's so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go check it out if you're into it.
Speaker 2: I A lot of these movies that they're gonna be talking about are not available in HD in the States, so that's something that a lot of people are not gonna love. But yeah, you can get this an English, French, Italian, or German. So hey really support him. Sense and Sensibility from nineteen ninety five is getting a four K release on August nineteenth. Now, this is not technically the first four K release because it was released previously in that elusive Columbia Classics Volume one from Sony that came out. It has been locked in that box since then, very out of print, very pricey, and now it's available, making a lot of people wonder will we finally be able to get a standalone version of Jerry McGuire possibly who knows Sense and sensibility classic nineties like Little Women type flick.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about this? Have you seen this one?
Speaker 3: I am not, actually, but it's like, I don't know. I'm a little bit of a sucker for a good, like you know, nineties period piece movie, So I don't know. I'm definitely open to checking it out.
Speaker 2: I remember Emma Thompson being great in this, but I've not seen this in a very very long time.
Speaker 4: I don't know, great cast.
Speaker 2: I should probably see this again for sure, uh Bozart's ghost as I have a thing for Emma Thompson and I still have to put my finger on whye. I mean, it's the accident, let's be honest, but well, she's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Let me look at it. Why did that skip one?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Because it's pretty skippable.
Speaker 2: Coming soon on four K from Warner Brothers is the Accountant to This is the die hard sequel to the Accountant that everybody was after, starring John Bernthal and Ben Affleck. Unfortunately, there is literally nothing else on this disc except for the film, which in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: That is rough No, as far as I can tell, not even a trailer, no featurette nothing. Yeah. I enjoyed the first movie, never saw it. Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 2: Next up, Classic Flicks. We got some updates from them. The first is on September twenty third. They're putting up a DVD collection of the Unexpected the complete series, but not quite it's the Complete Series Volume one. This is coming as part of their rare television line. If you want to finish this set up, they will be putting out more volumes of it eventually. Of course, this is from nineteen fifty two. This is an anthology show, has all kinds of guests on it that you'll probably recognize.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks John.
Speaker 2: Since Insensibility was locked into Columbia Classics volume two, not the first one, I apologize I misspoke there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Classic Flix does some great stuff and they certainly do not get enough attention. So hopefully people are paying attention now. But if you're not, they've got some other announcements. They are putting out ten Laurel and Hardy feature films over the next few years. These are all gonna be coming on Blu Ray and they are part of us. Pack Up Your Trouble, Sons of the Desert, The Bohemian Girl, Our Relations Way out West, Swiss Miss Blockheads, A Trumpet, Oxford, and SAPs at Sea. All ten of these will becoming as double feature Blu Ray releases, not like a box set or anything like that, and it's gonna take some time. They're still restoring them and all that. They just wanted everybody to know, Hey, these are coming. Nine out of the ten will have fresh scans and be restored by Classic Flicks themselves. Troubles is the exception here, as that had already been licensed from the UCLA Film and Television Archive. They already restored that, so it's ready to go. There is some upcoming announcements to The next announced release was supposed to be the TV series Lock Up the Complete Series, Volume one, but they pushed it back because they found a new source for the thirty five millimeters materials, so they're gonna be doing that better than they had planned originally. And then after the Unexpected, which we just talked about, a moment ago, they are going to be putting out Laurel and Hardy, the Restored Features Volume one, The Little Rascals, the Restored Silence Volume two, which you can see the cover art on the screen there right now, and then probably lock up the complete series of volume one. They also still have TV series Angel Volume two and three upcoming, as well as Mickey maguire Silence, More Hoplong, two unannounced TV shows and more classic flicks. Doing a lot of stuff for old films which is just so great m H and TV too.
Speaker 3: I Mean, that's like something that I feel like kind of gets forgotten about sometimes as older TV and the I'm always so heartened by seeing people like take a lot of love and care to like old fifties TV shows that would otherwise just disappear.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and literally disappear, like many of these will be literally thrown in the trash or lost in a fire or oh no, they all deteriorated and.
Speaker 4: Simply don't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: Next up, I put up a new interview on the channel this week with Beth Morris, who does all of the standard art for Deaf Crocodile, like the sleeve art. She's an incredible artist got to talk about some deeper things like AI of course, and then her process behind these, the software she uses, how she literally got started just through a random contest and was able to speak to Peter Strickland on the phone. Amazing, what an incredible story. Go give that a watch if you're into it. She's done all kinds of physical media releases.
Speaker 4: I hope you enjoy that.
Speaker 2: And then that's you. And then we got a couple other things. Cape Light who is this really hard to pin down boutique label. They put out stuff primarily in Germany, but they release all over the world. They are doing their one title a day announcements for a week and we've got six of those so far, and a couple of these were exciting enough that I wanted to mention them, so double impact. The Van Dam from ninety one is getting a four K release in a media book in the last quarter of twenty twenty five. The brand new Toxic Avenger film is getting a media book in the beginning of twenty twenty six. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot from seventy four getting a four K media book with new artwork, also as available as an upgrade if you got their Blu Ray Media book Children of the Corn getting a four K media book from them that will be coming with Dolby Vision. Flow from last year getting a four K media book with a big forty eight page booklet. It's gonna have some concept drawings in there as well. The one that's exciting to me though, nineteen sixty one's West Side Story getting a four K media book coming this Christmas with Dolby Vision. If they don't release this in the US, I really hope somebody else does soon. I would love to see this get like some big acclaim. It'll probably be the Studio I gotta be honest, because it's still semi big here, but I would love somebody like Criterion to put this out, to give it.
Speaker 4: Just that cachet.
Speaker 2: This is incredible, as somebody that was so stoked about a year and a half ago to I still can't even believe I can say this sentence. But Richard Bamer, who played Tony in West Side Story, has been on the show and to be able to interview him was one of the peak moments of my life. I mean, somebody that worked with David Lynch closely multiple times was in fucking West Side Story. In nineteen sixty one that was on the forefront of like resistant civil rights documentaries. He is just an absolute inspiration and god, I hope they do this right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed. This was when I saw this announcement on your page on your feed, I was so goddamn excited, like it deserves the best release.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's something about this where it gets overlooked for sure, and it doesn't need to be. Craig is asking, is there a Thunderbolt night Foot four K in the US? Yes, from your favorite company, Keno Lber. They did that in twenty twenty three. You can check that out now. Then I think this is our last. Yeah, this is our last announcement for the week September twenty third. We're getting the next release from Wellgo, which we've not had something from them. Usually they're putting stuff out like at least every other week, but it's been a bit. It seems like they're putting out ghost Killer from twenty twenty four in a four K release and a Blu Ray release in the US. This will Adobe Atmos on it and it will have a making a featurette, an original trailer, and again for those of you unfamiliar with Welgo. They just put out a bunch of really great, really fun Asian films constantly, and nobody else would release most of these, So kudos to Welgo to keep that going. All right, that was it. As reminder for what's coming out next week. Let me go ahead and share this other tab. Here is Brazil four K from Criterion, when Eve Alerks four K coming from RLG, but reminder that's also coming from second site. Eventually shout factory with bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia four K, Monkey Shines four K, Mishima Life in Four Chapters four K from Criterion, The Freaky Tales four K VHS retro from lines Gate Limited, already shipping. I've got it eight inches away from me here swimming to Cambodia getting its retail release from Cinematograph House of the Devil Steel Book from Dark Sky Films.
Speaker 4: I believe on that one. I may be wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't remember everything leaving Las Vegas. Life Stinks, The Charge of the Light Brigade, great Balls of Fire, Rush Malice, A Midsummer Nights Stream, and Roller Boogie, all coming from the Best.
Speaker 4: Is it the wrong week? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's June. Hello, I'm sorry, let's go to July. Thanks Chris. I hate pop up. It's some blu ray dot com. So next week, let's actually talk about the real titles. The Big Heat four K from Criterion, Warfare, four K from A twenty four Alexander Revisited, four K from Shout, Primary Colors, four K from Shout. Death of a Unicorn four K from A twenty four. Did you see Death of a Unicorn?
Speaker 3: I missed it.
Speaker 2: It looks intriguing, and then it got terrible reviews, and I still want to see it.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. I'll check it out when it hits Max.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's about how I'm feeling. Tails from the Void.
Speaker 2: This is a screen box release that's supposed to be pretty damn good. Actually, I'm very curious about that one. God, this Widow release definitely shown up on the screen a little too big. Lost Country from Altered Innocence coming out next week. Not a ton next week, but again a reminder, just gonna go through here real quick, not read them out loud, but July is a very heavy month for releases. There is so much coming out in the next couple months. Good luck for everybody that is after so many of these because my goodness, we got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 4: But that's it. We finally get to the film discussion portion of this.
Speaker 3: Man. Uh.
Speaker 2: First off, adult, well, I shouldn't say it like that animation for grown ups, andreas you have you always appreciated these.
Speaker 3: I think maybe I don't know. I think when I was younger, I found it kind of scary, like what like, cause I think your mind is so constructed in a way to kind of expect animated films to be safe when you're a kid, and so when you stumble across something like I remember seeing the like, uh, the Pearl Jam video for Do the Evolution as a kid and just being feeling like, feel like I was gonna have a heart attack, like and so I think as I grew up, I kind of felt and the more and more that I was kind of like introduced to like, you know, anime and just you know, more off the beaten Path animated films that like, I don't know, I feel like at a point I just started really appreciating that, like, oh, I like that I can still keep up with this medium that I like, but at least it's still it's speaking to me as I'm maturing that not being said, I don't love animated movies for kids too, but I just I think that, like there is something that's been very nice about, you know, there being animated movies for adults.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I yeah, totally get that, absolutely feel most of that the same. I was trying to think of this earlier, like, what was the first animated movie for grown ups that I saw it?
Speaker 4: I couldn't remember. If it was like maybe The Plague Dogs something like that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's so many of these that I have loved throughout the years, but there's also so many of these that I don't know.
Speaker 4: It feels like.
Speaker 2: There was a long like middle period where many of these were just very hard to see. You know, some of them there was like no materials or honestly that there was probably like very little demand.
Speaker 4: For many of these.
Speaker 2: But you know, there was always the classics like Watership Down was always available to see. Fact, she wasn't quite always available, but at least one or two of them was pretty much always there. But man, once you get past those surface level ones, there is this this world of just amazing things all over that you can catch. I'm very excited to check out your list tonight. So as we get into this, did you did you have like rules for yourself anything?
Speaker 4: But when deciding you're five?
Speaker 3: Uh no, I think it was like I because there were some that I definitely went to that I was like, oh, that feels like it would fit. But it was honestly, I avoided movies that were like technically meant for kids but still scared me, right, I avoided those, But so yeah, that was really it. Like it was like and because the thing is, like, there are some here that I feel like are meant for maybe not adults, but like for not for kids that aren't right, Yeah, like but like don't necessarily feel as sort of like dangerous as some of right, some of it does. But so yeah, that was basically it, as long as it was like just not something deliberately geared towards children.
Speaker 2: I uh, you know, I was trying to put down at first five favorites, which I love all five of these, and these are probably pretty high still. But the big surprise for me is that ill while whittling down the list, this is a very like mainstream list for me mine too. I really expected it to not be because this this world is so like obscure when you get to some of the greatest stuff, and I bet you know, like we were talking about this deaf crocodile.
Speaker 4: Released a tragedy.
Speaker 2: Man watching through this again, it will probably start to creep up into this list because it's incredible and it's certainly not made for kids. But there's really not many of these that I didn't like grow up with watch a whole lot. There's really only one on here that is fairly oh sorry, two and it happened to be the top two for me that are fairly like new ish, like last five years sort of discoveries, and I.
Speaker 4: One of these. Maybe you could say it was made for kids, but even then it's so different.
Speaker 2: Than the other stuff. At that time, I don't know that it was. So let's get started. We're gonna we're gonna talk about all kinds of details. We're gonna we're gonna talk about other titles that are related to these. I'm sure you got some honorable mentions to bring up. Let's hear your number five.
Speaker 3: So my first one is a little bit of a soft landing. It's easing into it because it's not too crazy, but it's just one of my favorite movies. So it's and it might be kind of a strange one, but it's Interstellar five five five five, the visual daft punk album or for their for their album Discovery, and it is so I'm sure that like anyone who grew up in the early two thousands when that album came out remember as the famous like anime throwback music videos they did for the tracks on that album, but they actually made those into a feature length movie that's basically just the track from the album, and it tells this visual story and it's just, in my book, one of the most just like poetic animated movies I've ever seen. Like there's no dialogue outside of the music, Like the only words in it are the is the music being spoken. But it is just such a lovely story and like very engrossing about an alien band that gets kidnapped and shuttled off to Earth and then forced to make, you know, music that they don't want to make, Like there's just again. And I struggle because it's not like geared towards it's not like a hardcore like anything, Like I could show this to, you know, a ten year old and it would be fine, But like it's it's still to me is something that was just I cherish it so much and I actually revisited it, like, you know, like a month ago, and I hadn't seen it in since the you know, when it originally came out, and I was like moved by it and like it just I don't know, I think it's just such a beautiful piece of art in the fact that, like I feel like, so much stuff especially from that in that late nineties early two thousands that was American stuff, or I guess not American, it was French, but like Western stuff that was trying to recreate anime style fell a little flat. And I just love that they went to Japan and found all these like you know, manga masters to work on the art, all these you know, it was directed. I can't remember what else the director had done, but it was a Japanese director who actually did directed the movie. And it looks and feels like a seventies animated like Japanese animated movie, and I will always just love that movie.
Speaker 2: This is a deep cut. It was a really great choice. I believe I watched this.
Speaker 4: God like right around because what year did this come out? This three Okay, so yeah, it was somewhere around there. I was.
Speaker 2: This was perfect point for me because I was sixteen when it was released and discovering music in a way.
Speaker 4: That was transcendent at the time.
Speaker 2: And I watched this once and I've not watched it since then, and I still vividly remember at least a few of these scenes that were in this.
Speaker 4: I should absolutely see this.
Speaker 3: It's it's And the thing is, it's not the easiest to find too. There's there's no Blu ray release in the States there. The DVD, I believe, is long out of print. I know there was a big four K restoration that they played in theaters recently, but I know there was some controversy in terms of like the elements that they were able to get for it to actually restore. So it's not I don't know. But I also feel like the lo finess of it kind of adds to the seventies anime charm. So it's I'm sure it exists somewhere on YouTube or or something, or you can find a used copy somewhere, but I just adore this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I I don't know.
Speaker 2: Throughout the years, there have been a lot of bands that have tried to do the whole visual album thing, and quite often for me, they.
Speaker 4: Don't work all that well.
Speaker 2: A couple of them have been watchable and interesting or compelling at least, but I don't know. Very few things have like stuck with me, like a couple of scenes from this did. But it has been ages since I've seen this, and now, you know, thinking about it, I think the only band that has done something that maybe made me feel like this. And this is a weird pool because it's not animated and it's not even a visual album. But I love the band twenty one Pilots, and throughout their history, all of their music videos have told a continuous story. And yeah, when you go deep into the lore from like we're going on like fourteen years of albums or something like that, they all have connected so much so that like one part of a music video will end and then they'll go record an album and show up eighteen months later, and then next music video will basically pick up where that was, and now they're in like this weird sci fi world telling the story that was a very different thing a handful of years ago. And it's it's really interesting when you dive into the lower But yeah, when you get a full package like this from a band that at the time massive, i mean, growing to what they were going to be, you know, just another ten years after this and taking the world by storm, absolutely crazy. Oh yeah, absolutely great. Great example there, Colton Cohedon, Cambria. Everything is related. I mean it's all of comic books. So great stuff. Incredible band love Cohede. Dude, great choice, really nice, really nice pool For the first one, I'll look at that. Ben found the DVD at the library. Hell, you're gonna go watch it. That's incredible. Yeah, all right, So my my first one, I'm gonna talk about my number five here. Again like a very obvious pick, not necessarily a softball, because this is a pretty it's a it's leading into that R rating is heavy metal.
Speaker 4: I yeah, this had to be on my list.
Speaker 2: This was like one of the first things that I went, Oh, animation for adults, ya, heavy metal.
Speaker 4: So this again they knew they had an R.
Speaker 2: So it leans into the blood, the nudity, the let's offend people.
Speaker 4: But it is evocative.
Speaker 2: It is a really great set of just like timeless pieces of animation that you will.
Speaker 4: Probably never forget.
Speaker 2: And it is especially if you watch it at just the right point in your life, this will be your personality for.
Speaker 4: A few weeks and weeks.
Speaker 3: See, I think I saw it. I saw it way too young, because this was one of those movies that when I saw it, I was like, this is scary, this is like I didn't I felt like I was I was definitely watching something I shouldn't have been watching. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the only way to watch heavy Metal actually is to watch it at like eleven because your brother's friend showed you or something. Yeah, is great if you haven't seen it. There's a really really great four K out there.
Speaker 4: Go check it out. It's a wonderful piece of animation.
Speaker 3: All right, And so I'll go to my next one. It's actually order been brought up. You already mentioned it, and so I feel like from here on out, I feel like mine are kind of pretty obvious. But uh so it's interesting because I'm not going with Watership Down because in my mind, Watership Down is something like in a weird British fucked up way. I feel like Watership Down was meant for kids. Yeah, I remember seeing Watership Down. They showed it to me in school. Like when I was in middle school, and so to me, that always felt like it was still it was. I mean, it's way too fucked up for kids, but I still feel like it was meant for kids. So I went with Plague Dogs.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, I mean, I'm so random that I brought that up, Like most of yeah, yeah, never seen plague dogs.
Speaker 3: That I fucking love Plague Dogs. It's so for anyone who doesn't know. It's the other movie directed by Martin Rosen who did Watership Down, and it's adapted from a Richard Adams who wrote Watership Down book. And this is the story of two dogs who escape a you know, a testing lab who may be carrying a disease and the man hunt or the dog hunt that goes on across the UK for them. It is one of the bleakest fucking movies I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: And I'm I'm like a dog lover, and like, so watching dogs go through what they go through in this movie is so hard. Like if you're the kind of person who cannot handle a dog dying in a movie, this movie is going to be hell for you. But that being said, it's still so like just beautifully told, so maturely told, just unflinching about like the suffering that animals go through, but like the dignity that animals have in their suffering, and just and just one of the most enigmatic and just earth shattering endings to a film I've ever seen in my life. Like I remember watching that movie the first time and it ending and just it ending the way it ends, and just feeling like the ground had opened up beneath me. Just I was so.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I guess in a way I didn't know how to feel because of what the ending is, but like it's still it shook me so badly that I still carry that like with me when I think about that movie. And so, yeah, Plague Dogs is great. There's a really great shout put out the Blu Ray for that. I was so happy because like before that, I was rocking this, like this bootleg I bought when I was in college of it just because it was hard. But like, so yeah, Plague Dog's great. It's it's a rough one, but it is it is great.
Speaker 2: I funny enough, I was trying not to mention too many titles because I don't normally like giving away what somebody might answer, and I was like, oh, yeah, he's definitely not gonna bring up plague dogs. But nobody ever has the reverence for plague dogs that I do.
Speaker 4: I love that movie and this. I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's something about this animation style that the emotional aspects of these two films really hit you, because the animation style feels so safe, and so you're like, oh, it's a cuddly dog. Well, let's let's cuddle the pillow as you cry later it is such a compelling story. And again, as somebody that loves animals and like, I get pissed off watching somebody mistreated animal, this movie is probably where a lot of that came from. Just understanding the life that is before me was super important. And yeah, this is a masterpiece that happened to not make my list because I had to have this next one on, which is going to sound ridiculous after praising that one so much. This is the one that this is probably the closest to being made for kids, but at the time, this is a little like higher brow than we expected to see in the animated series, and so I had to go with what I think is the best Batman movie. Of all time Batman Mask of the Phantasm. I mean it shows blood. It's a pretty like dangerous story. There's stuff that happened in this movie that is still compelling, funny enough. Didn't know that we were gonna be talking about adult animation until earlier this week. I watched this last week just how it happened to be lucky, showed my kids for the first time. This movie still holds up as quite possibly the best Batman story ever told in a film.
Speaker 4: I still can't believe that.
Speaker 2: The people making the animated series were told, we're gonna be taking this theatrical, We're gonna do this the right way. By the way, you only have like ten months to get this done, insane and all they did was perfection. Somehow they took what they were doing on such a small scale and said, let's do it the right way and busted ass to pull it out. This movie is astonishing. Mark Hamill gives one of his greatest performances. Some really really interesting, uh just random things that they do in the story, Like Stacy Keach plays a really great voice role in this. Kevin Conroy is Batman, he always will be.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is the Batman masterpiece, funny enough. The other Batman animated movie, I.
Speaker 2: Will say, well, there's many, but uh, the the other like very mainstream popular one, the Lego Batman movie also very great, but Batman Mask of the Phantasm is probably the best Batman movie literally ever made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's hard to argue. It is. It is a The fact that they were able to take like what was so special about the animated series and translate that into a feature film is unbelievable. Like I yeah that, I'm uh, that's a good one. That's a really good one. And I'll and it counts. It's it counts good. I mean.
Speaker 2: The big thing is like there's they're shooting happening and there's actual blood, which in the animated series out to this point, I don't think they had shown any blood in the series. So yeah, this this took it up a couple of notches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right. So my number three, I don't know, So it is the it's Urusayatsuda the movie two Beautiful Dreamer, And I don't know how if anyone is familiar with the series Usayatsuda, it was a it was an anime in uh the I believe the late seventies or early eighties, and uh, it's so and it was. It was created by it was based on a manga by Ramiko Takahashi, who did like Ron the One Half Masonic Cuckoo, just one of the all time great comic book writers. But so the premise of the show is very lighthearted, very high jinky. It's about a guy who accidentally proposes to the daughter of an invading alien warlord and the daughter falls in love with him, and it's just very silly and fun. Is the is the alien woman that I think some people may be more familiar with. But anyway, so they made the series and it's very fun. And then they did one movie that was very a very good expansion of the series. And then they made this second fucking movie called Beautiful Dreamer that is one of the most haunting films I've ever seen in my life. It is, I mean so it's it's directed by amro Oshi, who did Ghost in the Shell, and.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: They took they it's like that thing that people say where it's like they didn't need to go that hard because they're adapting a very lighthearted anime. But then for the second film, it is just this beautiful examination of dreaming and the like the fear of the like the world slowly ending, and the sort of just anxieties that it taps into and plays around with like liminal spaces in a way that like was was forty years ahead of the game. And like it's funny because I know that a lot of people compare Sotushi cons Paprika, which I fucking love to, like Inception and stuff like that. Like I think Inception also owes a lot to Beautiful Dreamer because it's just it is just this out of nowhere movie that is just one of the like there is shit in this movie that's not like jump out of the of your seat like scary, but it haunts me, like years down the line. It haunts me, like the concepts that it plays with in terms of dreams and loss and love. And again it is based on a high jinky, silly Japanese series that they just went super hard for the second movie. And there's actually a really great blue ray of this out from Discothech. So I saw this movie out of context, never having seen the series, and I loved it, and I've subsequently seen the series and I love the series. But the movie itself is a masterpiece.
Speaker 4: I know nothing about this, but that sounds incredible. Yeah. Wow, Uh, I don't know what to say. I am.
Speaker 2: I am sorely lacking on the anime that I've seen, which is wild. I mean, I don't know how I've not just sat down and watched them all. The hard part, I think for me is watching too many of them back to back. They start to get very saey and I want to allow them to like breathe and have their time and make an impact.
Speaker 4: But then I just don't make time for them because there's so many other great things to watch and I probably should. I know that I would love them it tonically, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, like like Urusaiyatsura in specifically is like it's like four hundred episodes or something like that.
Speaker 4: Like it's just so daunting like.
Speaker 3: To get into it and like and they're great, but it's just it's a commitment, and so yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: My wife and I are watching Veep right now, which is eight seasons. I think we've been watching that for I don't know, like nine months. It's it's very difficul and four hundred episodes makes me want to put a bullet in my mouth number three. I wanted to choose a stop motion title here, and I have always loved stop motion stuff. It is a magical medium that I first fell in love with some of the random ass like Harry House and scenes of the Skeletons is probably the first thing I ever saw, and I mean that led to moments like music venues used to play the skeleton scenes before bands played, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, I saw the Spy.
Speaker 2: But I was trying to think of what is the best thing to share here, and just going back to the moment that I saw this movie, I really remembered last week how I leaned into just absolutely shitting on somebody that is doing stuff like this. And I wanted to talk about Wes Anderson's fantastic mister fun So he's not a bad director. I love some of his stuff.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna highlight fantastic mister Fox here because this movie got this. This movie is special.
Speaker 2: I watched this movie I don't know thirty times in a span of like four months, probably because this I don't like. Scenes in this movie sparkle in a weird way. It is beautifully done. The voice working this is incredible. The humor is spot on. Wes Anderson had not tripped and fallen into that of his own style yet and so it's well done in a way where he's not directing from in his own ass. And I love that, and the films that he made before this I mostly love too, But this thing, I was so not ready for him to have a masterpiece of a stop motion film. And again, just something about this movie and the main fox is incredible. I think that this is probably the last of his that I was blown away by. I don't know, the fact that he's made so many friends that every cast is just stupidly stacked. It really helps in this one specifically, because it's just memorable voices told through characters that you can envision other things while you watch this glorious representation of them on the screen, and it just turns into magic somehow. Love the story in this movie.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Making stop motion is already difficult, Yeah, pulling this off should not literally be possible, right.
Speaker 3: And then, and and just the commitment to doing that movie the way that he did it, the fact that like again it's it, it just feels so like a movie like that needs to feel tactile, Like it's that thing we were talking about early on where it's like one of the things that is so great about like when you're animating physical objects, whether it's paper or puppets, like just in that movie, you can you feel like you could just like reach out and touch that movie like it just it's so yeah, that's a that's a great one and like a weirdly like at times I'm like sad movie, like it's very poorly and fun, but like very like yeah, very profound moments like totally unexpectedly. So yeah, I love that one.
Speaker 2: I honestly that I haven't voiced it like that, but that might be what I'm missing in the newest Wes Anderson stuff, is I feel like it's just let's get the light and breezy jokes out and everything, so happy, go lucky, but like the Phoenician scheme didn't have anything that made me feel like the fantastic mister Foxy.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, And it's one of the and I'll say that like Wes Anderson was one of those directors who I grew up along with his stuff. Like when I was discovering how much I loved film, was right around the time Rushmore came out, and so like, I'm very attached to that, to those movies, and he has done some movies that I have really liked, but I do feel like there are some movies like I haven't I haven't seen the Phoenician Scheme, and like if I had known, you know, if i'd told gone back in time, told you know, eighteen year old Andreas, like, hey, there's a Wes Anderson movie coming out, and you're not gonna be that interested in seeing it, I would think I was crazy, and like, ny, I'll still give the movie a shot, absolutely, but it's just there's something about it that I'm just like, I don't need to make the trouble.
Speaker 4: I guess right. It's absolutely worth watching. Some of the performances are incredible, truly incredible, but it's just not a movie I'm gonna go home and go, oh my god, that was the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not like that, right, all right, So we'll go into my last two with my second one here, So I will warn you both of these are the most basic. These are just the you know, the really the most basic. You type in a Google search of give me five adult animated movies, these are going to be on that last anyway, So I am going to go with a Kira. I mean, a Kira is a Kira. And it's just one of the most confidently told stories I've ever seen in a movie. It is so dense with like the world it created with so there is not a second wasted of trying to kind of explain the world to but all you need to know all in the opening of the movie, a nuke went off in Tokyo and now we're here thirty years later, Like that's it. That's all you get. And like the way that it creates such a dense, rich world just through the way that like they animated it and just the kind of like minimal way that they you know, reveal the story as it goes along is just breathtaking. I think it is just I mean, like you you can go. There's a really great video on YouTube where a guy basically went through the big motorcycle chase frame by frame, and every single frame of it is just like a painting. It is just there is something interesting happening in every twenty fourth of a second in that movie. And I just think that like it is and then obviously it's beautiful and confidently told. But it's also just like a really fucking good sci fi movie that like is so like gross and but like you feel so attached to the characters, like I think. I think it particularly has just like an incredibly touching finale in a way that like, like I get like teary eye watching the end of A Kira. It's I don't know, it is just I just think it's like one of the most magnificent movies ever made. And uh yeah, I'm just I know it's a super basic choice, but I fucking love that movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, as as Gary just said in the chat, I literally just got a Kira. I've not seen it. Uh oh shit, I've never seen a Kira again. Way behind on anime stuff. It would be absolutely wild for me to have an anime pick here, because I've seen so few of them. This would probably be the one. This is the one that everybody says I have to see. So I've eventually relented. Just got it in what was that two weeks ago? Three weeks ago, and yeah, I need to make time for it.
Speaker 3: I'm super excited and at least this it's a movie. There's no show. It's just the one movie but I am super excited to hear see what you think about it, because it is just it is a fucking special movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: Pretty much everybody that's seen it has worshiped it, and any movie that's like that is what.
Speaker 4: I have to see for sure. I just said that it.
Speaker 2: Would be wild to have an anime, which is why I was teeing up for this amazing heel turn.
Speaker 4: My number two is Perfect Blue. This movie. What are you saying about Perfect Blue?
Speaker 2: I adore You know, if you saw my list of like the top ten twenty first century stuff that was going around this week for the New York Times, stuff of many like four of my movies are like these crime serial killer type films that are absolutely incredible, that are these almost procedural, just shocking type films. And Perfect Blue was that in the best ways for me. I also, you know, growing up with the music background and loving animation, this ticked like every box for films that it possibly could for me. The music was really well done, the animation is it's just stupendous. For when it came out, the voice acting in this people don't ever talk about that. For Perfect Blue.
Speaker 4: It is so good in this movie. Not to mention, this movie is just telling a gnarly ass story, Like if you just wrote this down, this would be a compelling frickin' book. And they do it in a way where you're just like glued to the screen the entire time, wondering what the hell they're gonna do next because it's so just batshit and what they're telling in this random like K pop animated type movie basically, and you're like, Okay, I mean, I'm here for the ride, but Jesus, this is rough. Love this movie. And what's great is there there's so.
Speaker 2: Many movies over the last handful of years, you know, even one of my favorite it's from I think it was last year or the year before Red Rooms. I think probably got a lot of inspiration from this film. Absolutely love Perfect Blue. It's literally one of the only animated or anime films that I've seen, and it made that much of an impact that I'm just like, Okay, maybe I'm done.
Speaker 3: I'd only else that's I mean, Stosha Khan is a fucking master like I I got when he I obviously it's a tragedy when anybody dies, but I remember when Satosha Khan died, like because he died so young, I was that was one where I just felt, you could you instantly felt the absence of that dude's work, like what could have been? What else he could have made? Because ever like Paprika is a fucking masterpiece, like took You God, just everything that he'd made was so goddamn wonderful and different and like so I just I I I adore Perfect Blue. That is a magnet movie.
Speaker 2: It is crazy, not just like how everything how much everything he did was a masterpiece that I haven't seen all the other ones, but like everybody says that, so I get it, but the fact that they are all so impactful from one director is like immediately legendary status. It is crazy how much he's been able to have that impact.
Speaker 4: Yeah love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, So I will go with my number one, totally basic. I don't care it's my number one. It's Fritz the Cat. I so we I know, we touched on Bakshi and I when we we're talking about him, like I I didn't want to go into it too much just because I knew Fritz the Cat is going to be a number one.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Bakshi is like my on my mount rushmore of idols. Like I just I in terms of like a filmmaker, I just that's a dude that like when I saw Fritz the Cat the first time, it was just so unbelievably earthshaking for me and just I because I mean, like we talk about these movies that like you see too Young or like you're you're kind of like WHOA, I didn't know cartoons could do that. Like I didn't know movies could do what Fritz the Cat did. Like it's just so pinetic and like the fact that this came out in this like the seven early seventies and like the like just appreciating the context in which that movie came out and like I but I mean, so aside from that, it's just I think an abrasive masterpiece and just sort of this really provocative movie that really rattled a lot of people and I think still does. And I also think that, like to me, Fritz the Cat also is just this insanely timeless movie in terms of like the political discussions that it's having, Like the fact that Bakshi was calling out like performative politics like in the seventies is just wild, and like the way that he was talking about the way that like privileged people will aestheticize and sort of like fetishize the suffering of people who are oppressed was just like I remember seeing this movie the first time and just being like, oh, no, one's even talking about that now, and like actually was doing it in the seventies, Like that's insane and it's just I don't know, like it's just it's just I know it's like a very problematic movie for some people, and which it's hard to argue. I mean, like, but it's just I think it is just one of the most beautiful pieces of art ever made. Like it's it's just bursting with like vision and imagination and like ba and Bakshi is one of those people like I just I could listen to that dude wax on about the industry and his process for like I remember, back in the day before podcasts were a thing, I used to have this like forty minute Bakshi NPR interview on my iPod shuffle that I would listen to on walks because it was just so I just love the way that he thinks about things. And I don't know, so Fritz the Cat, and so I could, I could honestly talk about you know, Coonskin and Hay good Looking and Heavy Traffic and just American Pop, just like all of his movies are are masterpieces to me, But Fritz the Cat is the one that's the one movie that just I mean, it's so foundational to the way I look at art, and so I will always just be, you know, indebted to that film.
Speaker 4: Gary wants to know what your second favorite back.
Speaker 3: I think I would probably go ooh, It's it's hard. I like want to say Heavy Traffic. But I think American Pop is just like one of those beautiful movies ever made. I just I could I just any scene in that movie that I can pull up with, just like one of the songs and the rotoscoping animation is just so beautiful. So I'll go with American Pop.
Speaker 2: So for me, my number one is one that you didn't even run down there. It's got to be Wizards.
Speaker 3: I love Wizards. I mean it's so good.
Speaker 4: So it's it's just I don't know every scene, You're just like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: He is a maniac. I mean, like it's so now if anyone doesn't know, like you can just he's still all he does now is kind of hang out in his house and make these beautiful paintings and he'll like live stream him painting. Uh, And it's just he's just such a treasure. Like I just I fucking love that dude.
Speaker 4: It's incredible. Had no idea.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. I'm gonna have to go find one of these last streams. Yeah, love this pic. On my list of Bakshi, I think Fritz would be my number three. But it's like you're ranking again, like we were just talking about with sa Toshi Khan, like really impactful, incredible. All of these are amazing movies, and Fritz is I mean, you say problematic, but let's just be honest. A lot of people are I don't know, vulnerable and sensitive to a point where they just don't expect it, and that that lack of preparing for that you're gonna be caught off guard. And that was kind of the point of what we're doing here. We're putting a We're putting a not even all of these movies, can I say, are we putting a story forth? But we're putting a message to you in a way that you were not expecting. Me to deliver it and firts the Cat is maybe his best one for that because it's just so off the wall and yeah, really forward thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like that's the thing, Like I remember hearing about it growing up and being like, oh, that's the Horny Cat movie, right, like that sucks with people.
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rated X one. I got it, And then when I actually ended up watching it, it was just like this incredible examination of race relations, Like it was just I love it. I've just adore that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually he's incredible. I have no idea why, Like I said that, Bacsi did not end up on my list, but hey, I love the guy too. My Number one, though, is a It's the other one that I was talking about that was a fairly in the last few years recent discovery and yeah, I've talked about it a lot on the show. Assuming I don't care. This thing is a masterpiece. And out of all of these, it's the movie that has personally, like really wowed me in the way that it is just not something I ever expected to see, and that is the Deaf Crocodile release of Feladay Felladay, being a German animated film about cats that are looking to their humans that they call can openers to serve their lives. And in the first I don't know three minutes of this movie, you are already treated to the fact that there is a murder that has taken place. A cat is dead and people are trying to find out why. There are scenes in this movie that are terrifying that are animated beautifully. You see cat buttholes, you see testing happening on cats, you see cats literally murdering other cats. There is stuff in this movie that is absolutely not made for kids. But this movie is harsh in a way that is humane and I don't know something about it. Is just a very interesting medium to tell a story like this that I don't think I've seen anyone else tell a story like this in this manner. Absolutely taken by this from the moment I saw it. Felladay should be seen by everybody. The four K release by Deaf Crocodile is mind blowing, is probably the best way to say it. It looks incredible the extras. I don't know how this commentary turned out this great. It's because I'm on the commentary. Deaf Crocodile is absolutely, like, just incredible for rescuing this because it literally was about to not be able to be rescued. It is a movie that has soured with age a little bit because of what the original author of the book has developed into over life, and it doesn't deserve to have that reputation because this book is forward thinking, is progressive at heart. It is absolutely at the forefront of like nine different problems that the world has, and it's told in the style of probably my favorite animator of all time. And when you're able to get a film that is talking about kats killing each other, and you go out there and you are able to make it in a fairly disneyfied way, but do it in an animation style that is sure not necessarily just like it. But they were literally told, you need to try to make this in the style of these other animated movies that we've been seeing come out of America for the last ten years, and it ended up being amazing.
Speaker 4: Don Bluth is.
Speaker 2: My favorite animator, and there are scenes in this movie that you could have told me Don Bluth drew them.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, okay, he definitely did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So watching this it hit in the most like siniphile away from me because I was raised on Don Bluth and now I got to see people he inspired do a new story that was compelling to me, and it just scratched every single inch. I love this movie and if you have not seen Philaday, everybody out there should see this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Philade, I hate that I have not seen it. I remember seeing the release of that when Def Crocodile put that out and just being like, God, damn, that looks really cool. But it just I haven't gotten around to it yet. But like I'm I don't know. I feel like this is one that I need to like push to the front to watch because it just I don't know. That's everything because I'm also I'm a I'm an acolyte of Don Bluth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ronnie shouting out Gwen in the Book of Sand in Heroic Times, Deff Crocodiles on both of those, Yeah, both incredible releases. Is Gary shouting out I lost my body and your name uh.
Speaker 4: Aba, good night.
Speaker 2: Ben Craig says the lead animator character designer was a Don Blue Studio lump.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were all about it and literally said let's do it in that style. So cool.
Speaker 4: It's a masterpiece, absolute masterpiece. Andreas. We did it.
Speaker 3: We did it two and two cat movies at the top of the list.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh, this is a very cat cat movie friendly show.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate that we were able to do this, Craig says, Pied Piper and Philaday again. Pie Piper was the other stop motion that I wanted to bring up. Unfortunately, it's I didn't want to sell like I'm sipping too much for Deff crocking.
Speaker 3: Simple way. It's fine, uh.
Speaker 2: Jerry saying, the Fantastic Animation Festival. It's a collection of shortsman at nationwide TATCO release.
Speaker 4: I need to see that. Cg TV says, I wish I could see you here for the first time again. I envy Ryan.
Speaker 2: You're in for something you'll never Honestly, I may do that in the next week, just be able to talk about on the next show if I get time.
Speaker 4: I'm working on two visual essays right now.
Speaker 2: If I finish both of those, I'm gonna try to get that done this weekend because we're probably not doing a huge amount.
Speaker 4: Of the theater this weekend. So hopefully Akira is here.
Speaker 3: For sure, and I assume you got the four K of it I.
Speaker 2: Did the I think it was the target sale buy one, get one fifty percent off and it was gosh after the discount, the four K steel book was like fourteen dollars Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Just the idea that you get you get to experience a Kira the first time in four K like that's very because I think most of us watched some jinky vhs back in the day, so that's very cool.
Speaker 2: Uh So, as usual, I want to promote everything that I can for Andres. But the big thing I linked to the Vinegar Syndrome store, they've already shut.
Speaker 4: It down before now, I believe, so you can't even buy the films from the website right now, But please come back to this after or during subscriber week and go buy the two films that Andreas is on there. In the meantime, go follow on Blue Sky, follow on Instagram, are you are you anywhere else on social media?
Speaker 3: Letterbox does that count?
Speaker 4: Of course absolutely?
Speaker 3: On letterbox you can see what movies I'm watching and dumb lists I'm making.
Speaker 4: What is what is letterbox handle?
Speaker 3: It is just Andreas Peterson.
Speaker 4: That is the easiest thing to possibly remember right now. Follow along specifically on Blue Sky for watching him, keeping him accountable for writing every day. Please it has.
Speaker 2: It has been a joy to interact with you over the last couple of years, and I'm just glad we were able to make this work. I know that you were like, hey, yeah, come on, but I felt like for the longest time that you'd be so fun to have on here, and it absolutely lived up to that.
Speaker 3: So thank you, well, thank you so much. It's been it's been a it's been a lot of fun. And also again just I want to flashback to to you know, however many years ago, of just following along and like, I don't know, it's very strange to me that I'm on this show that I've watched so many times.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, if you want to have a closer relationship with all of us, check out the Patreon link in the description below. We'd love to having the Discord come hang out. It is our watch along weekend. We got a pull going right now. Sunday night, we're watching a movie all in the Discord together, So come and stay up way too late and watch as I have to go to work very very tired the next day. You all are amazing. I love to see every week. We'll see you next time. Pray for Will. Next Thursday's gonna be a pitch everybody, and stay safe this weekend. I know everybody's got a holiday coming up. Your families, watch around, be safe. We'll talk then see you.
Speaker 4: Thank you for watching The Disconnected.
Speaker 2: On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 5: Hello, this is Aaron West. I am the author of the A twenty four New Wave. In this book, I look at A twenty four's output and I make the argument that we are in a new wave movement right now. A twenty four plays a major role. This book has a supplemental podcast where each episode is a brief conversation about an A twenty four related topic, whether an actor, director, or even a genre. As I continue research for the book and conduct interviews, I expect to record podcasts episodes with people involved with the company. You can find the podcast at send the Journey's or wherever you find podcasts. And we are proud to be members of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network, please select the link in the description