Speaker 1: All too often, true crime cases are riddled with stories of children who grew up in unfortunate circumstances and situations. Today is no different. However, in this case, the circumstances were specifically injected into the child's life in a corrupt means of puppetry by law enforcement for theirrom bidding. As a result, young Richard Wirche Junior would lead a convoluted life of crime and become the infamous drug dealer known as White Boy Rick after the authorities he helped turn their back on him. My name's Ben and.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material intended for mature audience. Just question, how's it going?
Speaker 2: I have a very important question for.
Speaker 1: You forty two. Only a certain amount of people and certain type of people will get that answer. But go ahead.
Speaker 2: I know I'm allowed to eat pieces off my gingerbread.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, can I eat pieces off of yourreadhouse? No? That's fine, Okay, So we can only eat from our.
Speaker 1: Own well unless the other person person person person sanctions the specific request of a piece.
Speaker 2: Because I'm eyeing up some pieces on yours.
Speaker 1: You're not going for the shingles, are I am? No? Fuck you?
Speaker 2: So we made gingerbread houses the other day for the first time in oh my gosh, over ten years probably, yeah, And tonight I took my first two bites and now it's just going to be a downhill spiral for me.
Speaker 1: The only thing is, at what point do you run out of stuff that is not stale that you're eating? You know, yeah, when does the are you desperate enough that you're.
Speaker 2: Eating stale pieces? Well, because some of the pieces we put on there were already stale, that's true, like the cheerios, But.
Speaker 1: Some of the things, like the jelly beans, they ain't going stale anytime soon.
Speaker 2: You know. Well, I'm kind of next year when we do these again, I'm going to rethink what I put on there as like what will last the longest for me to munch on.
Speaker 1: That's not a bad idea, yeah, yeah. But we we had a little bit of a competition with our gingerbread house. We set a time limit time limit. Specifically, Nicole noted the time twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: I thought that was oodles of time.
Speaker 1: We had to construct our house and decorate it in twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: And also plan because we had no plan when we started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just go.
Speaker 2: It was a shit. It was fun though, it was super fun, but I did not quite realize how fast twenty five minutes would go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when building a gingerbread house, it turns out twenty five minutes is not a whole lot of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So next year we're going to do a little bit different, I think, but we'll do it competition again. Because that was fun.
Speaker 2: It was really fun. I liked it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually, the other day we did something else that was pretty fun that we haven't done for a while. We went to a hockey game, a live hockey game here and the WHL. We watched the Cougars, the Prince George Cougar's played the Victoria Royals. Who girls, Wow, that was lame. Anyways, it was the Teddy Bear Toss. I don't know if anyone out there has been to a teddy bear toss before.
Speaker 2: It was really fun actually, but everyone in.
Speaker 1: The audience brings a teddy bear or a stuffed animal of some sort, and when the home team scores their first goal, everyone whips the teddy bears out in the ice and the game is basically stalled for twenty minutes as they clean it up and then they donate them all to check.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's even fun to watch, Oh it is. Yeah. So the Cougars didn't score until the third period, so we ought to just snuggle our teddy bears in the stand while we were awaiting.
Speaker 1: Yep, and the Cougars won won nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: It was. We've actually been watching quite a bit of hockey late. You've been getting back into it following the Canucks because we're British Columbians, so got to support the home team. Look at us go Yeah, and they're actually doing pretty good and.
Speaker 2: I should mention too though. Back to this teddy bear toss. We had to go and buy a third teddy bear. Why was that.
Speaker 1: Because Ripley, our one husky, saw the teddy bear and she has mad ocd at times and rude all old she would not give up the idea of getting his teddy bear, so we finally caved and gave it to her and went and repurchased another one. Yeah, to be fair, she's loving it.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, well there's stuffing just all over our house on a daily basis now, Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: We do have a big old thank you to thrill it there to everyone who showed us their Spotify wrap this year. We had an incredible amount of you showing that we were in your top ten percent, five percent, top five and how much you listen, how many minutes? And it's incredible the support we have from you guys. Thank you so much for sharing that. Unfortunately, we had so many people send the wrap up wrapped results to us. If we couldn't post all you guys in our stories or even unfortunately respond to all you guys, but we do see the messages. Thank you so much. It blew our mind the support that we had.
Speaker 2: I actually love that time of year. It's so fun just to see I don't know where we kind of rank on some people's and like who they also have on their list and then like how many minutes and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've seen some social media posts on people talking like I don't want to see your page or your Spotify wrapped and like stop sharing it, and it's like it's not for you.
Speaker 2: I think it's awesome. I don't know. I love seeing it.
Speaker 1: First of all. I feel like it's awesome to be like, yeah, like look at my artists like I'm supporting these artists, whether it's music or podcast or books or whatever, and then it's the artist seeing that recognition. It's between the artist and the listener. That's who it's for in my opinion. Yeah, because man, we felt so much love with you guys as wrapped stuff you sent us, so we want to say.
Speaker 2: It's almost like rejuvenating. Really it really is. Yeah, so thank you that. I just I don't know, I get excited for Spotify Wrapped every year, so do I.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. Sorry, we're chatting a lot on this episode here at the beginning. We're gonna wrap this up here and get to the episode, but before we do, we also have to thank our patrons. We have some Patreon members who were just awesome in general, and we had someone sign up this week over on Patreon.
Speaker 2: We sure did so.
Speaker 1: And thankfully Dallas sent us how to pronounce.
Speaker 2: Their name, because when I saw it, I was like, good luck with this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Dallas's last name. I'm gonna try and do my best, though they kind of broke it down for me. It's Dallas Schwetfiguer. Oh, I think, I think is how I say it. Or this sweet. I think I'm gonna go sweat sweat figure.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, thank you Dallas.
Speaker 1: Yes, So, Dallas is our lone patron who signed up this week. Over on Patreon, you can join everyone else over there. I think we're well over. We got a couple hundred people over there. Anyways, who get theah, we get exclusive content, we got some posts, we got the exclusive episode at the end of the month that gets posted all the time. So head over there for all that good awesomeness. But we are officially like five six minutes into this intro.
Speaker 2: So without further ado, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's get into this episode, which is going to be a part one, a part one, Part one of the story known as White Boy Rick. You ever heard of White Boy Rick before?
Speaker 2: No, And I'm very intrigued by your intro that you had too. It doesn't sound like it's very good.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one. It's and I know, interesting is something that i've I've said for a lot of cases, but that word can describe many different types of cases where it's like, oh, this is intriguing, it's a murder, it's intriguing, this is a mystery, it's intriguing. This one is interesting for the very specific fact on why not I wonder how like things like that, the mystery behind it, not like I wonder what was going on in that person's head. I wonder what could have driven him to that. There is no mystery to this. It's just why the fuck did that play out like that? Oh my goodness, it's like watching the best way to put it. You know what it's like when you can't turn away from a plumber doing his job. It's just see three inches of butt crack sticking out there, and you're like, why doesn't he pull up his pants? Why doesn't he just buy pants that fit? Why isn't he wearing a belt?
Speaker 2: I would very much so be able to look away from that, but you would lie, but you'd.
Speaker 1: Be like oh, and then you look back again. You're still wondering why am I looking back? It's very much so like that, because there are so many things that just like what why would they do that? And that's what makes us a very interesting case today. So White Boy Rick is obviously a pseudonym. His name is Richard Wrschey Junior. He was a young boy who was born on July eighteenth of nineteen sixty nine, and he grew up living a completely relatively normal suburban life as a kid. He grew up with a sister, Dawn, his mother Darlene, and father Richard Senior. So Richard was junior and then his father was Richard Senior Oka or Rick okay right, So his father was clearly who he is named after, and more of his family were also around quite often. His grandparents actually lived right across the street from them.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm sure there's going to be a lot of like family visits on the regular sort of thing going down. I mean, Rick Junior was living a life full of love and support at the time. Now, there were some shadows in the perfect world though, things from the outside that we see that are you know, perfect or not generally always what they perceived to be. So on the inside there was much more going on. Rick's parents would unfortunately be getting a divorce, something that many people can attest to. That is not the greatest thing that happens within a family, but it's becoming more and more common nowadays and a lot of people do have to deal with it, and little five year old Rick had to deal with his parents putting up. Now, in the divorce, Rick's mother wanted to take her children with her, but both Rick and his sister wanted to stay at home with their dad. So she respected her kids wishes and said, okay, you can stay with your dad, and she left the relationship with her kids living with their father.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the neighborhood the house was in was on the east side of Detroit, about seven miles or eleven kilometers from the city center. Now, initially the area was a nice working class area. I mean, they grew up in a nice suburban neighborhood, a nice, regular, loving family. But they lived there in the seventies eighties, and it was kind of the area when it was gaining a wide I'm sorry, excuse me, gaining widespread reputation for crime in the area of Detroit, you know, crime, violence, and more specifically drugs. Okay, the influx of cocaine was on the rise, and it would cause a nice suburban neighborhood that they lived in to quickly fall and deteriorate in a place now surrounded with quote unquote crack houses.
Speaker 2: Really, hey, yes.
Speaker 1: Apparently there were crack houses now popping up just across the street or down the street from their once lovely neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Oh geez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the friendly family home was not so friendly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and almost just like picture the neighborhood almost kind of like deteriorating in my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of like a time lap sort of thing. Yeah, it's it's unfortunate, but that is kind of the case that was afflicting this Detroit neighborhood and so many other neighborhoods as well, unfortunately. So despite all of that, though, Rick was just like any other kid. He played Little league baseball. He was a pitcher actually, and in the eighth grade he would actually move away from his dad's and go move in with his mom in the suburbs of Macomb County there. You know, he got good grades, he was a popular kid, and he did everything to you know, make a mother proud sort of situation. And after that year, though, Rick did decide that, you know what, I think I'm going to go move back in with dad. So that's what he did. And it is unfortunate that Rick's dad, Rick Senior, was into some shady practices.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, because I was like, when how is this going to turn south? Here?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not per se Rick Senior's fault by any means, let's put it that way. But I'll fill you in here. Now, Rick Senior, he was a very bright individual to start with. He was an entrepreneur, you know, a bit of a hustler. He reportedly held, according to his daughter, more patents in the state of Michigan than anyone else had at the time.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm not too sure what kind of stuff he had patented or how many patents, but I mean that's a pretty extravagant claim in itself. Well, yeah, that's kind of cool even to say, Like, even if she's over exaggerating, it's like, oh, he held more than anybody. Clearly he held a lot, which I've never held a patent.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever even met anyone that.
Speaker 1: Has, right, So that in itself is pretty cool feet, especially if he's had multiple totally. Now, unfortunately, he did have his darker practices as an illegal gun dealer. Okay, yeah, so he would deal illegal guns on the black market and help individuals even get illicit permits. One individual who he did deal with actually even went on to say later that he could get you anything, like he could even get your grenades.
Speaker 2: My goodness, Yeah, how I have had.
Speaker 1: No clue, But apparently that was the case. He worked with individuals and gangs alike. He had built up a reputation as a go to guy in certain circles. I mean, if you're able to get someone a grenade, I have a feeling you're probably gonna build up a certain reputation. But Rick Senior, like I said, was smart. He figured out a way to double dip. Oh so he's selling these guns to these individuals on the street, right, He's selling these firearms to whoever was looking for a firearm, collect the payment, and then once he had the payment and he had sold the firearm, he would then turn around and divulge the names of the individuals who he had sold the guns do directly to the authorities, and receive a payout for them as well for being an informant.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, how the hell is that happening and lasting? Because you think that someone would find that out?
Speaker 1: You know, yes, so I think you'd have to be very careful about it, and so would the authorities because the authorities also don't want to lose an informant, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and I imagine that the people that you're dealing with are not necessarily I don't know, how would you put it, you know, I'm trying to think of it.
Speaker 1: They're probably shady people who okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, how do I put this without you know, insulting everybody? Kind of?
Speaker 1: I see, I got you, don't worry about it. But no, like Rick Senior, he was playing both sides and he did it well. Now, of course the authorities know he's playing both sides, but I mean to get the information from him. Hey, that's the price that they're paying, right, a little bit of cash and he's doing his thing. Okay, sure, we're getting the names, we're getting the inside information. That's the important thing to them. As a result with Rick Senior and it's connections, Rick Junior would also eventually become an informant and involved with the authorities. By the age of just fourteen years old, Rick Junior will be recruited by the FBI as an informant, which is it is important to note that the FBI records actually do, in fact confirm their relationship with him being an informant. This is a documented thing, not just a claim.
Speaker 2: At fourteen years old. Correct, That doesn't even seem like that should be legal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not, oh really per se. Yeah, I don't know about legality issues when you're talking about being an informant with the FBI and what they can do in strings they can pull, but it's certainly not a practice that I think many would say is good practice.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so that seems so young.
Speaker 1: You're literally involving a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyways, Rick's dad, being the hustler that he is, he kind of helped push it as means to earn some extra income as well. Now, don't get me wrong, he didn't take all Rixs Junior's money. I'm certain they were both getting paid for Rick Junior now being involved is as an informant as well, because Rick Junior certainly was getting a paycheck from it, and the two would work like side by side for a while, with Senior divulging names and Junior becoming to begin to like actually infiltrate the local gangs, like physically he's on the ground, getting in there, talking with people, making relationships.
Speaker 2: And rich who Rick June.
Speaker 1: Junior at fourteen years old? The hell correct? That was my reaction too, So he would actually be there in the gang learning talking, making his way into the inner circles, and then he would go back talk to both his dad and the FBI and divulge information, names, locations, even drug activities such as arrivals of shipments or dates in times of exchanges, you name it.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm really not liking this. That just seems like they're putting him in such a dangerous situation when he's he's still a kid, Like, how is how is he going to if shit goes self, get out of a situation attention, Like he may not know how to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that's the exact problem with this. It's you don't have someone who's maybe a trained authority figure who's gone through boot camps and like this is their job and they have got like they're wired up bulletproof vests, you know, they've got a gun on their hip and stuff. They literally just have a kid and they're like, go in the gang.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. This really isn't sitting well with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me either, trust Mikes.
Speaker 2: I'm also a little bit I'm not judging his dad, but I'm like a little bit surprised that he is okay with that.
Speaker 1: To allow it to happen. Ye yeah, no, I agree. I agree. Now. Of course to do all this, Rick Junior literally did have to infiltrate his way in. He can't just walk up in a gang and be like, sup, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the gang particularly that they were targeting and they were wanting Rick Junior to go after and learn about was the Curry Gang. So it was run by the Curry brothers, okay, and so he needed to gain their trust and show them that he wanted to get into selling narcotics and do and all this sort of stuff, right, And it only actually took Rick a couple months before he was able to get to the top of the gang and basically be the protege in the business in the industry, like next to the gang leader sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, that's a bit surprising, but I guess maybe he's like kind of just smart and kind of an entrepreneur like his dad potentially.
Speaker 1: But like, authorities didn't even think that this would be possible, especially even this quick. They're like, wait, what, you're sitting here next to like the Curry brothers at the head of this. Now you got all their information. You're their little like protege son, little brother sort of situation. How did you pull that off?
Speaker 2: But then the Curry brothers they may like that too, because it's like this young boy that they can mold to be turned into what they really want.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that young age could have played into their hand totally. Now, it was estimated that over the short course of Rick your informant career, he would collect up over thirty five thousand dollars in payment for his inside activities and information with the authorities. So the authorities actually paid him thirty five thousand dollars in total approximately to do this sort of stuff. And mind you, this is like, yeah, back in the day sort of thing couple years ago.
Speaker 2: At first I'm like, well, that's not really a lot, but then I guess back then that's worth a lot more.
Speaker 1: You could probably buy a house for that back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and not to mention any money he had brought in from potentially drug sales or gang affiliations or you know, being the protege. Here go off and have a good weekend. Here's a thousand bucks or something from right, you know, a drug lord sort of situation. Now, Rick no longer lived the life of a regular teenager. Clearly, if you haven't picked that up. By now, he no longer played baseball, nor did he seek out certain high school clicks to want to be a part of. Instead, he was running drugs, he was learning the business, he was learning gang operations, all at the request the FBI. I want to make that very clear. He is in the gangs. He is learning all this. He is doing this at the request of the authorities.
Speaker 2: Oh and something that you said to just like hit me so hard where he's no longer playing baseball, And oh, that's kind of hard to digest there. His child is just like gets is gone gone.
Speaker 1: It is at this point he is no longer a kid.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, the arrests were pouring in left, right, and center. They were even up to thirteen arrests made in a single day in nineteen eighty five, solely due to Rick's intel he had given to the authorities in a single day.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, I don't know, I mean, but they're also they would probably never ever suspect him.
Speaker 1: No, you would think not, But I mean, who's to say, right, So Rick was, of course a priceless resource for the FBI. Means he had I believe around the time he was about sixteen, which is a little bit premature for where we're at now. I think he's only about fifteen right now, but it didn't write this piece in here. So about when he's sixteen, I think he had twenty what's the word when they actually go through court and their oh, convictions, convictions. He had twenty convictions within like a year of working with the FBI. That is a lot convictions.
Speaker 2: Whoa they need to give him a raise?
Speaker 1: No kidding, big time. Well, like I said, he was priceless though so clearly they know that, and as it turns out, other authority figures were having their eye on him as well. He was priceless not only to the FBI, but to other authority figures. The local police, for example, as it turns out, also began using Rick to aid them. He was taking part in nighttime drives in unmarked police cars at times, even driving around identifying people. He would be out until about three a m. When he's got school at seven am.
Speaker 2: Man, this is I this is bathroom me A little bit this.
Speaker 1: Right now, He's about fifteen years old and he was being called every which direction by the authorities. It didn't seem like they cared for his well being. Or education for that matter at all. Yeah, all they wanted was to use Rick as this tool. They're like, you got school in the morning, you got math, You're you're not doing it good at math. Yeah, we want to get like a drug dealer, So suck it up, let's go do this.
Speaker 2: And was he I mean, maybe this is too early to be asking this, but was he doing this on his own free will?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, of course it was his own free will. I mean he's getting paid, you know, it's good money. It's especially for this time and a kid. And I can't imagine a kid being in a situation where the police are like, you're helping us, Like, what's a kid gonna do? Yeah, no, huh, you're gonna say no to the FBI. You're gonna say no to the police when they knock on your door at at night and say let's go for a drive.
Speaker 2: Well that's why I almost wonder if he's doing it completely on his own free will or if he's kind of being like roped into it in a sense where he feels like he can't be saying no. Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there were certain points when that was the case. I mean, think of it this way too. If he says no, maybe he could be thinking, well, maybe they'll just arrest my dad for selling guns. Maybe he's helping police for more than that reason. Though, that's something that came from my head. I've never heard that from any research or documentaries that I watched, But that could be a possibility that was at play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So eventually things began adding up a little bit too much for the gang that Rick had infiltrated in. Too many people are getting arrested, too many operations robusted, too many products was getting seized. They knew someone within their circle was a mole, someone was a rat, someone was talking to police, but who. Meetings began to occur within the gang and they discussed the possibility of who it could be, and eventually they landed on that it must be Rick Junior.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: So, while Rick was at one of these houses, one of these drug houses one day he went up to the top of this went up the stairs after being called, and as soon as he reached the top, someone round the corner and boom shot him in the stomach point blank with a three point fifty seven magnum The bullet entered his stomach, tore his large intestine in half and exited out his back.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Rick as a result, rolled down the stairs and began begging them to call nine one one, which of course they didn't.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Now, lucky for him, one of the girlfriends that was there did in fact actually call an ambulance, and they arrived just as Rick was getting stuffed into the back seat of a car. Whether they intended to take him to the hospital for assistance or to dump him somewhere is unknown.
Speaker 2: But I guess we could assume I think so.
Speaker 1: The ambulance was thankfully able to get him to the medical get him to medical attention, and get him the life saving help that he needed. But this wasn't the end of his working for the FBI or the authorities.
Speaker 2: It should be, though, I mean, like he's in some serious danger because if he lives that through this, like they're they're not just gonna let him go.
Speaker 1: No, you don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's how it works. Hmmm, I really don't.
Speaker 1: So what do you think is going to happen if he lives through this? I'm curious where your mind's at. Fun fact, he does live through this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I mean, I guess my thought is that he kind of needs to go through some sort of protective services. Is that what it's called. Yep, Yeah, okay, and or else he's going to Basically, they're not going to stop. They're like, that's a big deal. What he's done to the gang, Like a huge deal. Yes, And I mean I can only imagine they would want him dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're thinking, Okay, so they know he's an informant, they shot him, he's now recovering in the hospital, the authorities should come seek them and put him in protective services and out of story.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I can't see it ending any other way in his favor whatsoever. Not even that ending in protective services in his favor though.
Speaker 1: Well, while Rick was recovering in the hospital, the members of the authorities that Rick had been working directly with the FBI made their way to the hospital as well. And it was in that very hospital they realized the situation they were actually in if it got out that they were taking advantage of a kid, because that's what he is, a kid starting at the age of fourteen, to infiltrate a dangerous and aries rug gang for information, and they got him shot and almost killed. They would be in some serious hot water.
Speaker 2: Are they just thinking about this right the fuck now?
Speaker 1: I mean pretty much? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, And aren't people like on the FBI so i'll see, pretty like intelligent.
Speaker 1: I'm sure some are. I'm sure some of these guys were too. Maybe they just weren't thinking. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Well, their thought process here gets even more fucked up because this is when they realized that they were going to double down.
Speaker 2: Okay, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: So, I mean their thought process does make sense. I'll grant them. This doesn't mean it's okay. But if Rick did not come back and the guy who shot him got arrested, then the gang would know for sure that of course Rick was the rat. Right If Rick, however, did come back and he quote lied to the authorities, this is remember the FBI is coming up with this saying that it was an accident and acted like nothing ever happened, and it should be clear that he's not.
Speaker 2: The rat because if he was, then whoever shot him would be arrested. Correct, And the FBI is came up with this correct.
Speaker 1: Not only that, it's also the best way for the FBI and the authorities to sweep the incident under the rug, thus saving their own ass from almost getting a now fifteen year old kid killed.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Well they're just basically not gonna protect him and just put him back in danger.
Speaker 1: Yes, so they're saying this is the best way of not only protect our ass, but it's the best way for you to not be labeled as the rat. But you still not protected.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, this is terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it's surprising. It's surprising, But then I guess in a way it's also not.
Speaker 1: And which way is it not?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Because lots of times you hear about like authorities being a bit dirty or whatever, right and corrupt. Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 1: There's good ones out there too, don't get us wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, but I mean like like point zero one percent or probably even less. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but well that they say, like one bad apple spoils the bunch, right, So that's exactly yeah.
Speaker 2: But for some reason, I guess they just like had higher expectations to especially like the FBI. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm blowing now a fair deduction. I can't believe on that. But anyways, Uh, that's exactly what they did. They sent Rick right back in there.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sent him right back in with the gangs. Rick acted like nothing ever happened, like yeah, it wasn't actually whatever, I don't care, I'm not the rat, like whatever. And it kind of cleared his name. They were like, oh, this kid must not have been the rat.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, okay, Well then can you just leave at that point?
Speaker 1: Well no, because they still want him working in there. They still want some.
Speaker 2: Information the FBI or the the FBI. Good God.
Speaker 1: So I mean this, like I said, it did clear his name, but not indefinitely. Some still believe that Rick was behind it all, and eventually a hit man by the name of Gil Hill was hired to kill Rick worst of all. Now this is a few months later, and by this time, the authorities had now cut ties with Rick. He was no longer one of their informants, and they didn't do so much as debriefing them on exiting their relationship either. The authorities knew what was going on and it was a high risk and that it was only a matter of time until word got out or until Rick got heart again or shot or worse killed, so they made the decision to just cut ties before they could be held accountable whatsoever for what happened to him.
Speaker 2: What the actual fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Rick was now left at sixteen years old, fully engulfed in the gang world at the requests of the FBI and the police, and they didn't do anything to ensure that he would get out of this lifestyle or offer him any sort of resources to get out of his current situation. They simply left him high and dry and didn't even say goodbye. They just stopped calling him.
Speaker 2: Huh. I am shocked. This doesn't even seem like this is true.
Speaker 1: This is like very true.
Speaker 2: I cannot comprehend that this legitimately.
Speaker 1: Happens, see what I mean? This is such an interesting case because it's like, how could this happen? How is this still happening? Why is this still going on? Just like looking at the fucking crack of a plumber's ass, It's like, why is he not worrying a belt? Why didn't he pull his pants up?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why? Why? There's so many fucking whys.
Speaker 2: Gosh do we have to keep talking about plumber's ass?
Speaker 1: I'm committed. Now I'm sorry, Okay, So anyways, I digress. Rick had nothing else to do but to continue in the gang world. He was a kid when he was injected into it. He's a kid now. He knew nothing else. And to quote him directly, I became addicted to the lifestyle. I became addicted to the money. I became addicted to the women. I became addicted to that life. And that's exactly the case.
Speaker 2: That is just heartbreaking, it really is. When he should be at that like addicted to playing baseball or whatever, right, yeah, riding bikes on, hanging out with hiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, discovering going fishing at the river, or the girl who sits just left of him in math class, like maybe rebuilding a new car. He's sixteen, he's at that age like those sort of things, you know, But instead he's learning how to be a drug runner, a drug lord. And just it's fucked.
Speaker 2: I mean they I don't know how this story ends or whatever, but they took his life.
Speaker 1: Away, they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they changed the director of trajectory of it. Right at fourteen. Oh, it is so young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean Rick is he's now on his own. He doesn't even have the authorities there, even though they're the ones who put him in this situation. And Rick would face the next attempt to take his life all by himself. He was in a car with a friend when a van pulled up next to him at a stomp light. The door slowly began to start opening next to the vehicle, and when it opened, there was the hitman, Gil Hill, and he began firing and unloading a mac ten, but after only a couple bullets, the gun jammed, and Rick and his friend sped through that red light and got away with their lives. Whoa the hit man? I was watching an interview with him. He's in jail now and he's saying, they're a because the gun jammed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had like a guardian angel of sort.
Speaker 1: Yes they did, because that.
Speaker 2: Probably shouldn't have happened. I'm imagining that this man has if he's a hit man. This wasn't his first rodeo.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, not at all. Yeah. So the guy who hired him to shoot him for the hit and everything, Gil told him he's like when I was getting hired. In the interview, sorry I'm stumbling is here. In the interview he was talking about how the guy hired him and he said, make sure that this doesn't get back to anyone. And this hit man said, you know, none of the hits I've done have ever gotten back to anyone.
Speaker 2: H Okay, yeah, nice.
Speaker 1: So that in itself is like okay, yeah, how many what's your number?
Speaker 2: He knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And with this situation with Rick getting shot at at this point, I mean, he really didn't bat any at this at this point in time, no one in their circles really did. Honestly, their life was always on the line. They became so desensitized to it. A Rick's already been shot and survived. He's a kid. He's damn near becoming a drug well not a drug lord, but he's in these big drug circles. He's probably like super high and adrenaline and power and life. He's probably thinking he's invincible, like most kids do at the time, let alone being in his situation. It just kept going. Life went on, and as such, Rick continued to do his thing. He was dealing drugs, not only dealing, but importing and operating relatively large scale operations of multi kilos of cocaine. He was no kingpin or a drug lord, as I was saying, but he was certainly making some ripples in like the local ocean of the drug world. The media was now beginning to pick up on Rick and who he was, his name, and that is when they dubbed him and gave him the nickname White Rick, primarily for being the white boy within the groups of black individuals.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see, but.
Speaker 1: The stories that were being run about Rick were painting him as a murderer, a drug lord, something, and someone way more powerful than than he actually was. I mean, yes, his name and reputation certainly was getting blown in bigger proportions. But he was a drug dealer. Don't get me wrong in that he was still in gangs. He was involved in these things, but they were making him seem so much more and so much more powerful or its dangerous.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was. I feel like the media just.
Speaker 1: Does which they do. You're not wrong there. And this all leads us to the date of May twenty third, nineteen eighty seven. Rick was working with an incoming shipment of cocaine from a Colombian wholesale dealer. Rick was in charge of ten kilos. He dropped off ten kilos of cocaine to its location and got the cash for it. Now, I do want to stipulate this. Some sources will say it's actually eighteen kilos of cocaine, and that is because of what's coming up here shortly, but that is technically up for debate. Confirmed ten potentially eighteen. So as he had the cash, he no longer had the ten kilos of cocaine. As was dropped off, he was driving down the road heading back to drop the cash off to where he needs to go because he's just kind of like the middleman. He'll get his payment, but the cash is certainly not his. So as he was driving down the road with the cash, he was stopped. He was stopped by a cop, apparently for running a stop sign, and he stopped right outside his dad's house. In that stop, Rick was told that he was under arrest for possession of drugs. But the thing is he had already sold the drugs. He didn't have any on them, just the cash. So Rick said, He's like, hey, I've got nothing on me. Like search my freaking car if you want. I have no drugs. But when the police held up the bag of cash, that's when things got a went a little bit south. Now, this part is a little bit foggy to me. I did my best research that I could, and there is one thing I'm unsure on. It's unclear to me if it was Rick Senior or Rick Junior. So what I do know is Rick Senior because he was right outside his dad's house. So he came running out and grabbed the bag of money out of the officer's hand and a tussle ensued. Now I'm not saying like a fight. It was just like a struggle for the bag of money sort of situation. And the part I'm not sure is if it was Rick Senior or Rick Junior who with the bag in hand ran.
Speaker 2: Okay, But like really, it doesn't seem they're doing anything wrong just having a bag of money. I mean, I guess the police are assuming why they have that money.
Speaker 1: Yes, but regardless, one of them ran with the bag of money, and so it would take about twenty five minutes later they would be located hiding in the neighborhood with the money, and a search in the area commenced as well to try and find drugs that may have been stashed as a result of the running off with the cash. Because hey, he ran off with the money, he probably ran off with the drugs too, right, No, So after three hours, they received a quote anonymous tip and found eight kilos of cocaine stashed one block away under someone's porch, and Rick Junior was accused of possessing it and attempting to hide it.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Rick, to this day claims he was set up.
Speaker 2: By who exactly.
Speaker 1: The authorities?
Speaker 2: WHOA my gosh.
Speaker 1: And that's what we're going to end today's episode.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm pissed right now because my anxiety for the last ten minutes is through the roof, because like when he said, this is a part one, but it almost oh man like, it almost seemed like it was you were kind of like going to close it off, but you didn't. You didn't at all. I just did, Yeah, but not in a way that I can like rest.
Speaker 1: Well, well, that's the point. I want you to listen to part two. And also, this is legitimately what happened. So the thing is, apparently I'm assuming it was Rick Junior who ran off with the cash, not Rick Senior, but apparently he ran off with the cash and eight kilograms of cocaine.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie, but I have absolutely no idea what that would look like.
Speaker 1: In my mind, a kilogram is like what two and a half pounds or something like that, I think, or three and a half. Hold on, I'm gonna google it. How many pounds in a kilogram? Two point two pounds? So he's running off with what's eight times two point two? Well we go eight times two sixteen, So you're seventeen.
Speaker 2: Pounds of shit on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the cop couldn't catch him and didn't see him running with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't I don't. I don't buy that.
Speaker 1: And they got a quote anonymous tip. Huh now not.
Speaker 2: It was under someone's porch. I feel like you have found that would have just been.
Speaker 1: Like, whoa, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm gonna personally go on the record and say I am very suspicious clearly of this quote anonymous tip, and eight kilograms of cocaine to me seems planted. However, we do know Rick is a drug dealer, so that it doesn't really change things. It just gave him means to arrest him. But I mean, they they created Rick, They literally created white.
Speaker 2: Boy Rick and now it sounds like they're turning on him. They are Oh gosh, this is just beyond messed up.
Speaker 1: It's a wild ride this case, trust me, because we aren't even into the accusations, the trial, the results, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yet I can't even fathom what else is going to go on.
Speaker 1: It's the best words I can describe it. It's interesting. It's really fucking interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you're really not wrong with that description. Hmm okay, wow. I literally cannot wait for part two.
Speaker 1: There is a Hollywood movie that was actually out over this which I have not watched the Hollywood production yet. I have watched documentaries on this case. But the Hollywood movie, I believe it stars Matthew McConaughey, actually called White Boy Rick.
Speaker 2: Really I want to watch that shit.
Speaker 1: We should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna watch it. Anyways. Thank you for being here. Hopefully you enjoyed part one of White Boy Rick. If you want to check out Patreon, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, all that good stuff, it's down below. We have been doing a bit of logging lately, so you can go ahead and check it out on our YouTube. And we are going to be having, of course, an exclusive episode at the end of the month for all of our patrons, So if you want to be a part of that, go ahead and subscribe over on Patreon if you want to just be here, because hey, you're awesome, you're supporting us, still like this and you're still listening right now as I'm rambling. Thank you, You're amazing, You're wicked.
Speaker 2: Well done. Thanks. We're going to be on the edge of our seats for a whole week probably.
Speaker 1: This was a fun case to research, thankfully. Like, hey, there's no like major death or anything in this Well, there is some death if you watch some documentaries surrounding the gangs and stuff like that. But with with Rick specifically, I mean, he doesn't die. He's been shot and everything. He survives. That's fantastic and.
Speaker 2: That's oh right, okay, what, well, that's good. Hint.
Speaker 1: No, he was already shot.
Speaker 2: I told you, well no, but I'm still thinking sit could go down with him potentially that he gets like super hurt or killed.
Speaker 1: No, he's he's alive today. Okay, Yeah, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Okay, huh, Now, I like freak, I don't I thought first I was like Okay, that's helpful. I can sleep now, but now I don't actually know if it is because I still want to know what the hell's happening.
Speaker 1: No, I can strongly easily tell you he is alive today and still with confidence tell you you're gonna fucking be like, what the fuck with the rest of part two?
Speaker 2: Holy shit? Okay, yeah, well until then.
Speaker 1: Until then, stay wicked.