Speaker 1: It's a nice eye. I'm going mazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Madison. What a difference a day makes about this time last night, everybody was feeling pretty good about the Celtics. They were headed halftime and they looked like they were on their way to evening up the series, and things all change. Best of luck, thoughts and prayers for Jason Tatum tonight. Hopefully he can get back on the court at some point next year. That's really what it comes down to. He certainly won't be ready for training camp down. Achilles injury is a tough one. My name is Dan Ray. A lot has happened in the last twenty four hours. And as a matter of fact, we have a new producer. His name is Rob Brooks. Rob, welcome back, how are you? Very? Rarely is Rob ever away for any extended period of time, so I was joking with him tonight, but no, Rob is back in his regular position. Ready to set your calls up. No calls until nine o'clock tonight. But we will talk with Boston City Councilor Ed Flint about the job status of another city councilor who has pled guilty to a federal indictment. We'll also talk about the gift of this Boeing seven forty seven jumbo jet airliner that has generated so much controversy, and we'll see what all of you think about that. But first we are going to go through our guests in our first hour. By the way, I should reintroduce myself. I am the afore mentioned Dan Ray, the host of Nightside, and joined now by our first guest of the evening, Wayne Sours, who's an author. He has combined and worked on a book with a mutual friend of ours by the name of Mark Lund, Honored to serve in their own words, a book with a collection of stories from veterans who have served this country. This is coming out before Memorial Day. Wayne, Welcome back to Night's Side. How are you?
Speaker 3: Hey? Very well, Dan? How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Doing great? What? When? What's the genesis of this idea? It sounds like a great idea on it to serve in the wrong words. But how did you and Mark one to come up with this idea?
Speaker 3: Well, I have to say I provided the stories. I have a syndicated column called Veteran Spotlight, which I've been doing for the last oh ten or eleven years and all these stories that I'm that I'm writing. And Mark and I think we were having lunch one day and he said, geez, ever thought about doing a book? And I yeah, right, And and I will say this, Mark's just skill and expertise in framing the book and just what he brought to the table is phenomenal. And I'm very, very very proud of this book. What we tried to do is we've tried to humanize the person, the man or woman that served our country, Dan and and I think that anytime we can highlight or showcase in the positive and appropriate fashion, I think that's just that that really makes the people that have served our country, It really, you know, makes them feel good. And that's what this is all about.
Speaker 2: So again the title wanted to serve in their own words. Over the years, I guess you have done about eight hundred interviews with men and women who answered the call. And I kind of imagine that all eight hundred interviews are in the book. But how many are in the book and what military engagements does the book span?
Speaker 3: Well, it goes from world worth is probably about eighty. I think we have eighty stories and I'm already working on the second book, because they're just they're just really very very very summer just out of the ordinary. Some are very very very powerful. They're heart wrenching, and it goes expans from World War Two to present and we've got Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and it was a real thrill, uh in honor not to be cliches, to write this book. The oldest person that we have and is a very very very good friend of mine. His name is his all name Team Tiso Masaconi. He's a one hundred and two years old World War Two vet and was at Pearl Harbor after the Japanese bombed they brought the army in uh and then he went to the Battle of Saikan. He was he was a combat warrior and then he was at Iwo Jima for about eight months. And I mean to be one hundred and two years old, I mean unbelievable. And he's still he's still got you know, he's still got all of his faculties. You know, his eyesight. You know, he had a little trouble with the curveball, but he does so some.
Speaker 2: From as early as World War Two and people who are currently serving.
Speaker 3: I assume no, No, it's right up to the veterans up until you know the present time, not existing about active military, okay, it's about the veterans, okay.
Speaker 2: And this book was published in March. The publication date is March nineteenth, so it's fresh off the presses, well timed for Memorial Day, for summer reading, for Father's Day, birthdays, everything. It sounds like a like a great book. And I do think that there is a there's a real renaissance I think in this country of people who want to serve and people who respect and admire those who put on the uniform for whatever branch of the service and for whatever purpose, but they do spend some time in service to the country. And I think there's been a huge shift in this country. Those of us who are old enough to remember the Vietnam era, when wearing the uniform was not something that people respected sadly, but obviously, I think in the last thirty or so years, with the threat of terrorism at home, people understand that being in the military is not going somewhere around the world on an adventure. You're going somewhere to make sure that those battles are not brought to our shore. I think we have. I think most people have learned that and understood it.
Speaker 1: Is that.
Speaker 2: Is that, in your opinion, something that people perhaps now more appreciate those who donned the uniform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much so. I think there's there's a lot of Vietnam veterans in there. The thing that I'm very happy, delighted and proud of is that a lot of the veterans that are in that book, I don't know the exact percentage, but over fifty percent never talked about their service. And I'm very honored that they felt comfortable with me. And I want to thank good friend of mine, Brigadier General Don Quenville, who did the forward to the book, and he's very, very very kind to me with his words. But one Vietnam veteran had said to me, you know, fifty some years ago, absolutely Ethne hated us, and now they love us. And I think that's that's how far, you know, we've come in that and my purpose for including the Vietnam veterans and that was to give him they were welcome home. As we all know that they were scorned and ridiculed and verbally sometimes physically abused, and so I wanted to include them in there and give them, you know, their long overdue welcome home.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of there were a lot of Korean War veterans also as fully appreciated. They were sort of like a hybrid. I mean, everybody from World War Two, I think we understood. Are those generations understood the danger of the country faced? Uh? Probably Korea was a less understood war. And then Vietnam obviously was the war that that a lot of people really felt was unnecessary and ill and ill informed. But they took it out on the warriors, not on the politicians who made the decisions. Well, it sounds like it sounds like a great read. How can they get it and what's the I mean? Obviously I know that they can always go through probably Amazon and places like that. But do you folks have a website where they can where they can order it through you and perhaps get it inscribed.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, for a signed copy Veterans dash spotlight dot com. Veterans dash spotlight dot com. You can also order it off of Amazon. But if you would like a signed copy Veterans dash spot like dot com and I actually sent a copy for you inscribe to the studio. So if you swing by it sometime to the next week or two, you'll be able to get your copy and read the whole.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I should be there tomorrow actually, so depending on when you sent it, we'll pick it up and we'll read it, and we will share it with some people who will also appreciate it as well. That's the good thing about these books. These books are not necessarily things you want to just read and put in a library. That you give them to other people and allow them to experience and read the stories as well. Wayne sours, thanks so much. Please say hid to mark one for me when you get a chance to talk with them. Okay, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Will Dan, thank you so much. Yeah, yes it is. And thank you so much for the time. You're an equally great guy. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Thanks to the kind where it's Wayne, talk soon, okay, all right, when we get back, we're going to also talk about a different type of army. This one is the Salvation Army up in Newvery We're going to be talking with the captain from the Salvation Army up there. They're raising funds this weekend. We want you to be aware of that. We will also talk with an architect about the Martin Richard Fieldhouse which is going to be constructed in Dorchester. And we'll also talk with Professor Staller, Greg Staller of Boston University, the Questrom School of Business, and we normally have him on as a guest to take phone calls, but I thought that tonight want to get sort of a quick update from him and analysis during this hour when we don't have phone calls, and talk about what is the significance of the ninety day pause for further negotiations on tariff's or tariff relief between the United States and China, and of course other negotiations as well. My name is Dan Ray. You're listening to WBZ and Boston or an iHeartRadio station and you can pull down if you would like. You could easily get the new and improved iHeart Radio app. All you have to do is put it on whatever device you're most comfortable with, make us your first preset, and therefore we will always be meeting we WBZ always just a finger tip away. All you have to do is hit that preset number one and you will get WBZ wherever you are in this great world of ours, three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. Rob Brooks is Indeed the room is true. He is back in the control room tonight. Great jobs by Brian and Noah for four nights. But Rob's back there and he's ready to go. And we'll get to the phone calls right after the nine o'clock news. We have three more great guests coming up. Stay with us here on night Side.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back. I am delighted to go from Wayne Sores talking about those who serve in the military to Captain Jessica Burkhout. Have I pronounced that name correctly? I hope I have. Captain.
Speaker 4: I am well, Dan, thank you and yes, you did pronounce it right. Thank you very much for having me this evening.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Why you guys in the Salvation Army do so much good and you're with the Salvation Army of New Report and this weekend you have a walkathon. It's also a family fair. It sounds like it's going to be a great day. Hopefully the Weather's going to hold Saturday, May seventeenth. It's laps for lunches. Tell us about it. I know what it's about, but I'm sure you're gonna be able to explain it better than I can.
Speaker 4: Oh. Yeah, it is going to be quite the exciting event. It isn't our It is our inaugural event, and it is to raise funds for our food security programs to address food insecurity. Weekend is going to be filled with uh well that Saturday will be filled with food trucks, games, bounce houses, a DJ, We'll have music, We'll have some uh booths out there for community knowledge, and then of course our walk where we have teams and individuals that will be walking the track for each lap, raising funds for our social service programs, specifically in food security.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, you guys serve more than new Report. You serve Amesbury Byfield, Newbury, New Report, Rowley, Salisbury and West Newsbury, Newbury all up there sort of and I would consider like the Cape Ann area.
Speaker 4: Would that be the Well No, No, that that's fight. Those are all the locations we call it up here, the greater Newberry Poor area.
Speaker 2: That's fine, Report beautiful. Anyone who's never been to Newburyport. It's a great it's a beautiful city, a beautiful coastal New England city. This will be already tended to at the Bradley Fuller Park, forty Low Street in Newburyport. We'll get to all of that in a moment. But you got from ten o'clock, you got the walk and the family fair begins. You got a kickoff party, You've got food trucks at eleven, you got a DJ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's going to be a great day, a great day for family and friends in the community, just to come together and celebrate community while also fundraising for an amazing cause to support our families and households that we love so dearly. Here.
Speaker 2: Now, how much of a problem is this something that will be for kids benefit kids in school during the day or is this for families you know, at home at night to provide them with dinners and all of that.
Speaker 4: So Dan, it's both The Salvation Army Social service and food and security programs provides multiple areas of food security here at the Newberry Court Salvation Army. We provide food security in several areas. One we have a community meal program where we provide our neighbors and guests with lunch, dinner, and breakfast during the week where individuals can come and either sit down in our cafe and enjoy the hot meal there, or several families like to come and pick up and then enjoy that meal at home in the evening time with their children and their families. Then we also have an emergency food pantry where households can come and shop the food pantry for the items that they need in our households. And then we also have things like gift cards and school vacation Week School vacation Week. I have four kids under the age of twelve, and when school vacation comes, they eat me out of the house and I swear my food budgets doubles when they are home for April vacation or Christmas vacation. So we have a program where we pack extra available food items and meals for the week so that families who do have their children home for vacation will be able to have snacks and different food items to just kind of help them along the week so that they can ensure that they have all the items that they need for food.
Speaker 2: Now, is this the type of program that the Salvation Army is doing in various cities around the Commonwealth. Or is this something that you're doing a new report and is a real emphasis and push that you folks have decided to take on.
Speaker 4: So I think both. I think that there are several locations and many over the over Massachusetts that have very similar programs to us, like the feeding programs and our food pantries, and even different seasonal opportunities for items for food and meal programs. As far as the holiday breaks, that has been something that we've created here because there's been a great need and we noticed that need about three years ago. And I related to it very much as well when I saw that when my children were home from school they're now all fully school aged kiddos, that it is tough on the budget when your meals double and sometimes triple breakfast, lunch, and dinner and all their snacks and so it can get expensive.
Speaker 2: So this is Saturday, this coming Saturday, May seventeenth, give us the easiest website. Obviously, people in the new report area are going to know how to get in contact with but if anyone can't participate, they want to make a donation, They want to get information as to how they can participate. What's the best way to get in contact with you?
Speaker 4: Yes, the best way to get in contact would go would be for them to go to Salvation ARMYMA dot org backslash new very poor that will have all the information where they can learn more and they can even register to walk or participate in the event.
Speaker 2: Salvation Army m a LA or backslash news report. Perfect. That's perfect, made it easy. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it, Captain Jessica Burkout.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan, welcome, talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks very mentioning best of on Saturday. The weather holds our pleasure.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what we're waiting for. Thank you so much, Dan, have a great evening, you too.
Speaker 2: Good night. All right, we get back to talk about the tariffs. The ninety day pause in the tariff war, not a ceasefire. Maybe it is a ceasefires, but will it's a point where I want to talk and we will in the next segment with our friend Professor Greg Staller. He is a China expert, having bend to China about fifty times in his academic career taking students over there, and he's a professor Business professor at the Questroom Business School at Boston University. So we'll talk with Professor Staller right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by good friend, Professor Greg Staller of Boston University, the Questroom Business School. Greg, I know that in the next couple of weeks we will do another hour where we get people to ask you questions about this, because I don't care. Most people, me included, are trying to figure out what the heck's going on now. We had Liberation Day on April second, when Donald Trump announced the Golden Age of America had begun. The stock market tanked, and slowly but surely it seems to have come back. And this week it was announced in Europe that the war the trade war, there's a ceasefire for ninety days. Can you explain in layman's terms what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and by the way, thank you again for the opportunity to return. I would call this a targeted tariff reduction. I wouldn't call this a trade deal. I would and again I think we need to differentiate amongst the UK deal, what's going on in China and the other countries around the globe. I think bespoke is probably the best term to use in terms of this being customized. I think this is all a move in the right direction, but I wouldn't call it a victory for any one country, including the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's talk. Let's talk about the deal with the United Kingdom, which generated a lot of interest about a week ago. What's the bottom line. I'm sort of one of those guys that I want to know what the score is. Are the Red Sox winning or losing in by how much?
Speaker 3: I feel the same way. I think that if you look at it in terms of the details, you know, from the inside out, it accomplishes three things. It reduces tariffs so specific goods. It maintains a tariff on most goods, and by the way, the specific goods it reduces it on are British cars, some steel, some aluminum, et cetera. And it's also looking to protect jobs in key sectors like car manufacturing and steel, et cetera. Again, I don't want to insult your listeners by repeating myself, but these are all steps in the right direction. But to your point about you know, getting down the brass tats. It is a three month test, and the jury still out as to whether this is going to become permanent or not.
Speaker 2: Including the British the British US deal which they announced with such fans here also is a tentative. It's in place for ninety days, and it could be it could be blown up ninety days from now by either side.
Speaker 1: Is that the circus, that's correct?
Speaker 3: I mean, this is my take on and I've said on your show so many times over the years that I'm not a political scientist, I'm not an economist, but just from a regular business person's perspective, I think that President Trump didn't have much of a choice. It was only until today that some of the stock industries have gotten back into the black. For twenty twenty five, the bond market's been going crazy, His approval rating has been tanking. I think this is his effort to try and stabilize everything. You know, we know from the Federal Reserve today that inflation has sort of been tamped down, but it's still very much a work in progress. I think his constituents, as well as people who made donations to help him get elected, were raising their hands saying, what the heck's going on here? So I think that whether it's the UK, I think, whether it's China, I think it's whether it's Japan, and the South Koreans can calling to the White House. These are all ways to sort of placate his constituents as well, many of whom were business executives, and say let's try and do a pause and let's see if we can ameliorate things over the next ninety days.
Speaker 2: But when he when somehow, some way we reached out to China, I believe that was the sequence. If China had wanted to, they could have said, hey, we're not even going to talk to you, never mind negotiate with you. So the fact that China came to the table and they've had this conversation. According to President Trump, we were big time in the whole in terms of money that we were spending on tariffs and we were not getting it coming in. I mean, when this is finally done and finally settled, there will be an accounting.
Speaker 3: There will be an accounting. And I think it's important for all of us, you, myself, your listeners, et cetera, to not conclude that this is a permanent trade deal, and I say permanent, there are still ten percent tariffs that are out there, and with respect to China, and if you look at what's going on FEDNOL, you know, all of that has not been eliminated. But I think this is the epitome, at least visa via Chinese of the term saving face is. Let me just sets the thought. The shin Hua News agency, which is all in Chinese, coming up, they have, you know, given a very typical Chinese response. The road ahead still requires both sides to explore and shape it together with wisdom and courage, but we consider it to be a great victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we could say the same thing in reverse from the White House dot gov website.
Speaker 2: But when you're talking about China, we're talking about you know, we're talking about access to some rare earth minerals that we need. You're talking about computer chips. Uh, you're talking about intellectual theft, because that's a big problem our many of our companies have lost billions of dollars to what's called intellectual theft. So I mean there's there's more to it just than how much we're going to charge you and you're going to charge us.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent agree.
Speaker 2: And you, my audience needs to understand that. And again I'm not bragging on you here, but but but you you're you. You are linguistically capable in seven languages, and you read and speak Chinese. You've done you had fifty trips at least to China since nineteen ninety four, so you know the interior of that country. So you know sociologically, maybe not politically, but sociologically. Uh. And so you can read the statements that come out of Beijing and put your own interpretation on what they're saying and what they are trying to say and what and in addition, what they're implying, because that's the average person is not going to be able to look at the printed language or listen to the verbiage and have that ability to to understand that on all of those different levels. That's why you're so important to my audience. And I mean that all in all honesty. So now let me just finish up here. With a couple of minutes that we have left, it's going to get quiet. The turbulence of April has has settled down. Okay, how long do you think I'm not asking for a stock market prediction. But how long do you think the turbulence will stay relatively calm, because it's got to pick up again as we get close to the ninety days. I assume it's not.
Speaker 3: Right. I think the most interesting data point that I've been reading about for the past couple of days is people are pressing send on their order books as fast as humanly possible. The stock of several transportation companies, whether they be on oceans or whether they be trucking companies, their stocks are up. Everybody's putting the orders in now and probably stocking up on inventory they're hoping to fill because nobody knows what's going to happen ninety days. Hence, and so I know, sort of a nod answer to the question, no, no, no, no matter is the stock market is booming for the moment, and the orders are whizzing across the internet for the bulvit because people figure one in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Speaker 2: Right. But but there's nothing that the market dislikes more. The market wants some form of certainty. And as we get closer to this ninety day and period, and at the end of this ninety day period uncertain he's gonna bubble up again unless it's just smooth sailing. But I can't imagine it's gonna be smooth.
Speaker 3: I'm not so sure how i'd agree with that, Dan, because look what happened was then the ninety day deadline came and went, and they just kicked the can down the road and extended it. The same thing with TikTok is we were all set for a firm decision with all of the you know, with all of the nineties and the fourteen piece orchestra performing. That wasn't needed. It was just kicked down the road. But for the moment, you know, my contacts are saying, we'll take it to your point a few minutes ago, stability growth no a lot during twenty twenty five, we'll take you.
Speaker 2: But TikTok still has to get resolved.
Speaker 3: And that's what I'm agreeing with you.
Speaker 2: That's part of the whole conversation. Yeah, okay, so we're just.
Speaker 3: We're kicking the can down the road.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, again, it looks at whether you're a glass half full or glass half empty curved first, right, the half full part of me says, well, forward progress is better than nothing. The balls will be down the field. The half empty part of me says, yeah, but nothing's really been memorialized here yet. It's still, to your point, a work in progress.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate you being available tonight and giving us this UH, this update. We'll do something in a couple of weeks from now, when when the horizon gets a little closer and the UH and our vision becomes a little clearer. Greg Stahler of the Question School of Business at Boston University is always you're the best. Thanks Thanks, professor, appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. Thanks again, Dan, talk to you.
Speaker 2: Okay. When we get back, we're going to talk about the Martin Richard Fieldhouse, a magnificent structure that will be built in Dorchester and will benefit generations of young people in the memory of one of the four people who lost their lives on the day of the twenty thirteen Boston Marathon, eight year old Martin Richard. Will be back and talk about this field house and what a tremendous legacy from Martin Richard. This will be right after the break.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back.
Speaker 5: I think all of us remember the horrific events of the Boston Marathon twelve years ago April of twenty thirteen, that took the lives of four people and eventually an Mit police officer and a Boston Police officer.
Speaker 2: The youngest of the victims, eight year old Martin Richard of Dorchester, became sort of a symbol of innocence in childhood, snatched by the heinous actions of the people who put those pressure cooker bombs on people watching the marathon as they stood on Boylston Street. However, out of something as horrific as that now rising as the Martin Richard field House, a lot of people have been involved in that with us is Kevin Diebler, Kevin Hope, I pronounced your name correctly. You're dead and you're an architect with a company called Road Architects. So you, folks, des I understand, are involved in the construction of this, this wonderful field house, which is going to be a gathering spot for generations of kids. You must be thrilled to be involved with something as as significant as this this field house.
Speaker 6: Yes, and I am really excited to be here tonight. Dan, thanks for letting me talk about this project and you know, I'm Kevin Kevin Devar and more of the co founders of Roady Architects, and we are a firm that kind of got start in Dorchester about twenty years ago. So raising our families in Dorchester. My business partner Eric Robinson and I, you know, we're we're community members and I would say everyone in Dorchester was very much affected by that tragedy and it isn't sort of on our minds that we would play a role in trying to sort of lift up the community with this this project. And we're you know, our our families, you know, can know the Richards. We play sports, we do activities and arts with them, and it was a moment where people did focus on the good things that happened in Dorchester. And I think that the Richard family really kind of we're sort of that representation of people who care for their community. So because of the you know circumstances and the you know, uh having their their family impacted by that, we were all very much taken by that kind of community that that surrounded them with love and support, and it is just kind of like an amazing thing to be a part of, you know, looking back at it.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about the building, the architect. I know that the there was a ceremony earlier this month if I'm not or late last month. Yes, the basically it was the groundbreaking how how many people will this fieldhouse accommodate? Give us a sense of how big it is, what it will involve. You're the architect, you probably know it better than anyone.
Speaker 6: Well, that's true, and others on our team, Lucas and Aana definitely know the building even better than I do because they work on it day, day by day. But it took us nine years to to pull this off. It was finding land near a Boston public school, The Ruth bats And Academy right next door has a thousand kids that we'll be able to use this on a daily basis, So that that in and of itself is pretty amazing that there's going to be this facility for that. But within a three mile radius, as we were kind of studying how this project could impact, there's about fifty thousand kids, and that means that there are you know, many thousands of families in there that need the kind of support that the field House will provide. And that also comes with making sure that we want to mention the Boys and Girls Clubs of Dorchester playing, you know, a huge role in this. They will be the sort of group that can program the facility and sort of operate it under the way that Boys and Girls Clubs do their work and their sort of presence in the Dorchester community has always been kind of comforting to families, working families, and you know, I think that the real sort of challenge here is to make sure that we can do as much as possible under this one roof. So it has sports facilities, it's got wellness arts, it has spaces for people that have some counseling, and just really a big focus on inclusion and people living with disabilities. So there's there's so many good things to talk about and mostly what we're about to build.
Speaker 2: Will will this technically be the boy the Dorchester Boys and Girls Club or will it simply be a great facility run by the What's what's the official status? Is what I just want to it's a.
Speaker 6: Bit sure, well, you know, we're actually calling at the Fieldhouse plus and it it really is going to be part of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Dorchester's campus. And there's a building right across the street that is sort of the Walter Denny Center, and that really has been serving the Harbor Point and uh, you know neighborhood for for many years. And then the clubs all have two facilities, the mar and the McLoughlin Center that's over in the more proper neighborhood of Dorchester. But this new area will be like a new campus that will serve the entire you know, Columbia Point peninsula out there and be part of all those institutions that are out there.
Speaker 2: And so I'm sure you'll have basketball courts, swimming pool or is it.
Speaker 6: Ye as two hard courts and that sort of the The focus started really at the top though. It was a turf facility, and we were looking for places in Dorchester to find the room that could house a turf facility. It was one of these things as parents in Dorchester spent a lot of time on rainy ball fields and there really aren't places to practice in the in the off season like other kids in suburbs have, and you know, you travel around and see these amazing facil So it really started with like trying to get this type of indoor turf facility off the ground, and then as we found the land right next to this school, we realized that the open space on that land is also very important, so we started to make the building a little bit taller. We've found out we could really almost make it work with three courts, but we ended up with two full sized basketball courts, second floor track that can walk around, so everybody can sort of watch their kids while they walk and get some exercise. But then it has a whole nother wing to it, which includes a theater, teaching kitchen, music clubhouse, and other offices and spaces that can support and provide wrap around services.
Speaker 2: It's like just a fabulous facility in the memory of a very special little boy. Martin Richard Kevin appreciate the explanation. I really now have a sense of it, and I've talked to people about it, but you really have sort of focused it for me and hopefully for others, and now it'll be great when it is finally up and running. Finally, last quick question, what is the hope. I know that they're doing very well in terms of raising the funds necessary, but do they have a open the doordate yet? Approximately?
Speaker 6: Yes, I think we hope to be complete in about eighteen months. That should be at the end of twenty twenty six, opening doors, cutting the ribbon. At that point, fundraising is continuing to happen. They're at about fifty five million for a seventy million dollars you know building, and this is seventy five thousand square feet state of the art facility, so the opportunity to give is definitely still there. So they have a little bit left to raise, but we're definitely seeing the finish line come up. And very very excited to talk to you tonight, Dan, So thanks for giving us.
Speaker 2: Your record to talk with you. Kevin Diebler, co founder and principal of Road Rode Architects, Kevin posted and we'll talk again. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 1: Take care yep, all right, we come back.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk with Boston City councilor Ed Flynn about what is going on in the Boston City Council and maybe it is time for an ethics standard at Boston City Hall, including for the Boston City Council. We'll get to all of that right after the news break at nine o'clock.