Speaker 1: So picture this. You're flying at maybe thirty seven thousand feet and it is just pitch black outside. You're out over the open ocean. Maybe you're dozing off in your seat, when suddenly you notice something well entirely unnatural outside the window. Oh yeah, like these eerie sheets of brilliant, dancing white light just covering the windshield right, clinging tightly to the wings. And then it hits you this accrid, unmistakable smell of sulfur filtering into the pressurized cabin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd smell like striking a thousand matches all at once, exactly.
Speaker 1: And then then comes a sound that just completely defies belief, or I.
Speaker 2: Mean, rather the complete lack of sound, right yeah, the sickening, impossible silence of all four engines on a massive seven four to seven shutting down, completely gone right at the exact same time, leaving you suspended in this this three hundred and fifty ton metal tube, just quietly gliding toward the dark ocean below.
Speaker 1: It is absolute nightmare fuel and well. Today, our mission in this deep dives to open up decades of declassified flight data, cockpit voice transcripts, and these meticulous accident reports.
Speaker 2: Right the real greedy details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to explore four harrowing true stories of commercial flights going head to head with extreme weather. We're going to unpack the hidden meteorological forces that can just boom swat massive jets from the sky without any warning.
Speaker 2: And we're also going to look really closely at how investigators, the people who actually sift through the scorch wreckage, uncovered the invisible forces of play here, because I mean, mother Nature is this overwhelming, completely indifferent force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she don't care, she.
Speaker 2: Doesn't And for decades, aviation safety rules, while they haven't been drafted in a vacuum, they've been written in the aftermath of these terrifying.
Speaker 1: Encounters, paid for in blood.
Speaker 2: Really exactly, every single system protecting you in the air today was built directly on the lessons of flights that met the ultimate test.
Speaker 1: Right, So, we just saw how terrifying it is to lose all engines in the dark. But let's start with a threat that happens in broad daylight, just hiding in plane sight. Okay, Yeah, Our first case takes us to a sweltering one hundred and one degree Texas afternoon, August second, nineteen eighty five. We're looking at Delta flight one ninety one, which is an L ten eleven TriStar on what should be just a completely routine approach into Dallas Fort Worth.
Speaker 2: Right, but the atmosphere of that day is heavily loaded. Oh yeah, I mean it's hot, it's humid, and you've got these scattered summer thunderstorms just popping up violently near the airport. Now, the crew on the flight deck, they are highly experienced.
Speaker 1: They know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They do. They're threading the needle, actively steering around the worst of the weather cells, just bringing this heavy jet into alignment for the runway.
Speaker 1: But then at just about one hundred and fifty meters off the ground, so they are very low, the suspense on the flight recorder just builds rapidly. First, the plane experience is this sudden, completely inexplicable surge and air speed.
Speaker 2: Right, They speed up out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the pilot does exactly what he has done I don't know, ten thousand times before. He pulls back on the throttles to bleed off that extra speed and keep their descent rate in.
Speaker 2: Check, which makes perfect sense it does.
Speaker 1: But mere seconds later the bottom completely falls out.
Speaker 2: The plane is just slammed downward by this massive invisible force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the pilot shoves the throttles to the absolute maximum. You can actually hear the desperation on the voice recorder. He's yelling, push it up, way up, terrifying, and inside the cabin passengers just fall dead, silent. The engines are screaming at maximum power, but the plane simply cannot climb. It is violently swatted out of the air. It banks wildly to the right, and it slams into a highway.
Speaker 2: One fourteenth instantly killed a driver on the ground.
Speaker 1: Too, Yeah, before just tearing into pieces across the airfield. One hundred and thirty six lives on board were lost in a matter of seconds.
Speaker 2: It was a catastrophic event that utterly baffled the aviation world at the time. I mean, on the surface, there was zero evidence of mechanical.
Speaker 1: Failure, no lightning strike either.
Speaker 2: No lightning strike nothing. What investigats is eventually discovered by painstakingly analyzing the flight data recorder was the distinct signature of a terrifying, unseeing killer a microburst.
Speaker 1: Wait, so this massive invisible column of air can just squash a modern jet and the highly trained pilots with their state of the art weather radar, they just couldn't see it coming.
Speaker 2: They couldn't. They were totally blind to it because they were looking for the wrong physical element. What do you mean, Well, conventional aviation radar at the time only bounced off of water meeting precipitation. You could see the rain, sure, but it was completely incapable of seeing wind.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To understand the sheer violence of a microburst, imagine standing at your kitchen sink and turning the faucet on full blast. Okay, the water drops straight down in a tight, concentrated column, strikes the ceramic basin, and then violently splashes outward in every possible direction.
Speaker 1: So if we replace that water with cold, dense air plummeting out of a hot summer thunderstorm, that tight column of sinking air hits the tarmac and just explodes outward at hurricane force.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that creates this deadly forty seven second sequence of doom for any aircraft caught in its path.
Speaker 1: Forty seven seconds, that's nothing, it's nothing.
Speaker 2: So as Flight one ninety one approached the microburst, it first hit the outflowing air, rushing directly toward the nose the plane.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, if that air is rushing toward them first, they're getting a massive sudden headwind. Aerodynamically, that's gonna artificially boost their lift. Right. It tricks them into thinking may have too much air speed.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Yeah, it was a trap. The pilot instinctively pulled the throttles back to compensate for that false lift. He was tricked by the physics of the storm, oh man. And then seconds later the plane flew into the exact center of the microburst, the violent downdraft. It's like a giant invisible hand pushing the fuselage straight down toward the concrete.
Speaker 1: So the pilot immediately maxes out the throttles, desperately trying to fight the sinking motion.
Speaker 2: Right, But heavy jet engines take time to school up. You don't just get instant power. And before they could generate full thrust, they crossed into the far side.
Speaker 1: Of the microburst, where they hit the tailwind. Yes, because the air is now exploding away from the center, moving in the exact same direction the plane is flying, and a wing needs air rushing over it from front to back to generate lyft. So when a massive wind suddenly hits you from behind. It just subtracts your air speed. Your lift is instantly destroyed.
Speaker 2: And at one hundred and fifty meters off the ground, they had zero altitude to dive and regain that speed.
Speaker 1: They were aerodynamically trapped, completely trapped.
Speaker 2: But you know, the legacy of Delta one ninety one triggered one of the most incredible responses in aviation history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the industry realized they urgently needed a way to see the wind itself, not just the rain hiding it.
Speaker 2: Right, So NASA embarked on this incredibly daring mission. It took a Boeing seven thirty seven, packed the back cabin with scientists and all these experimental computers, and intentionally hunted down and flew into the most violent microbursts they could find across the I.
Speaker 1: Mean, purposefully hunting the invisible sledgehammer that just brought down a tri star is a staggering level of bravery.
Speaker 2: It's wild. But they had to gather data to test a brand new technology, forward looking Doppler radar. Unlike conventional radar, Doppler measures the frequency shift of returning radio waves. So if a radio wave bounces off a microscopic dust particle or a rain droplet moving towards you, the frequency compresses.
Speaker 1: And if it's moving away from you, the frequency stretches out.
Speaker 2: Exactly. By rapidly calculating those tiny frequency shifts, the computer maps the exact velocity and direction of the wind inside a storm. It takes the invisible microburst and just paints it in bright red on the pilot screen.
Speaker 1: Giving modern pilots the magic number twenty seconds. Yes, if you can see the wind shear twenty seconds before you hit it, you don't pull back the throttles, You throttle up, build kinetic energy, and you escape the trap before its spring.
Speaker 2: That one tragic crash, and the fearless research that followed practically eliminated microburst accidents in commercial aviation overnight.
Speaker 1: It's incredible, But we just saw how terrifying it is when a radar is blind to a threat. But a blind radar is arguably less dangerous than a radar that actively lies to you. Oh, absolutely, which brings us to nineteen seventy seven and Southern Airways Flight two.
Speaker 2: Forty two, Right, a completely different type of storm, but an equally devastating deception.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So We're in a DC nine navigating through a massive, churning thunderstorm system over the American South. The pilots are staring at their weather radar, hunting for a safe path through the dark clouds, looking for a way out right, and they spot it, this dark patch on the screen, a distinct hole in the storm cell. They seared directly for it, believing it to be a clear, safe passageway. But as they fly into the hole, the sky just unloads on them.
Speaker 2: They flew into one of the most violent hailstorms ever recorded in aviation history.
Speaker 1: The cocktit voice recorder captures this deafening sustain roar. Survivors described the experience as being trapped inside it tin barrel while someone hurled massive rocks at it from the outside. I can't even imagine the noise, and the hail was the size of baseballs. It was so intense and heavy that it shattered the thick, multi layered glass of the cockpit windshield, completely blinding the pilots, and then both engines sputtered and died. The crew was forced to glide a massive, unpowered jet onto a rural highway in New Hope, Georgia, and the resulting crash and fire killed seventy two people.
Speaker 2: It's horrific, and the investigation immediately focused on a totally baffling question. Why did their weather radar explicitly show a clear hole right where the absolute worst, most violent core of the storm actually was right?
Speaker 1: How does the machine designed entirely to see bad weather point a crew right into the deadliest part of it.
Speaker 2: It comes down to a physical limitation of radio waves called signal attenuation.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down for us.
Speaker 2: So the outer edge of this particular storm celf was so incredibly dense with heavy sheets of rain and hail that it acted like a solid brick wall. Wow. When the plane's radar sent out its radio waves, that outer wall of water completely absorbed and scattered them. No ways penetrated deep enough into the core of the storm to bounce back to the receiver, So.
Speaker 1: The radar screen simply drew a blank space the machine lied to them by omission, because its signal was essentially swallowed by the edge of the storm. They thought they were threading the needle, but they were aiming at the bulls eye.
Speaker 2: And once they were inside that core, the mechanical nightmare really began.
Speaker 1: Right, Because the hail battered the front of the engine cowlings, it physically dented the metal rims around the intakes. I mean, if we think about how an engine breathes, it's like it's like pressing the gas pedal on a car whose exhaust pipe is entirely plugged with thick mud.
Speaker 2: Right, That is a perfect way to describe it.
Speaker 1: The engine can't expel the air, so it's going to choke and literally tear itself apart from the inside out.
Speaker 2: Exactly when you plug that exhaust the high pressure has nowhere to go but backward. Inside a jet engine, you have spinning compressor blades at the front that violently packed the incoming air in tightly before it gets mixed with fuel and ignited. Right when the hail dented those cowlings and blocked the bleed valves, which are designed to vent excess pressure, the airflow fundamentally.
Speaker 1: Reversed, creating a violent compressor stall.
Speaker 2: A devastating one. The high pressure from the combustion chamber blasted forward against the incoming air every single time it surged. It violently bent the metal compressor.
Speaker 1: Blades, and to make matters worse, air traffic control who was completely unaware of the apocalyptic severity of what the plane was enduring, ordered the pilots to climb to a higher altitude to clear another flight.
Speaker 2: Path, which is the absolute worst possible action during a compressor stall.
Speaker 1: Right because to climb a heavy jet needs more thrust.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the pilots had to push the throttles forward, demanding vastly more air and fuel from engines that couldn't even process the disrupted airflow they already had.
Speaker 1: So they were unknowingly accelerating their own engines destruction.
Speaker 2: There were the repetitive, violent surging finally snapped those bend compressor blades clean off. When investigators later hoisted the ruined engines up in a hangar in Atlanta, the shattered pieces of steel blading literally tinkled out onto the concrete floor, just fell right out. Yeah, the engines had physically consumed themselves.
Speaker 1: Hail battered Flight two forty two from the outside, destroying it with brute force and water. But what happens when the killer is completely dry, invisible to even modern radar, and destroys a plane by melting inside it.
Speaker 2: Now that brings us directly back to the terrifying scenario.
Speaker 1: From our introduction Yes June nineteen eighty two British Airways flight nine cruising smoothly at thirty seven thousand feet high above the Indian Ocean, just south of Jakarta.
Speaker 2: The flight deck is totally relaxed, passengers are.
Speaker 1: Sleeping, and then the saint almost fire begins. The windshield is suddenly covered in the shimmering, brilliant white light. The cabin fills with that sulfur smell which some of the crew actually noted smelled strongly of Perkish cigarettes. Such a specific detail I know. And passengers look up the windows into the pitch black night, and they see jets of sheer luminescent flame forty feet long shooting out the back of all four engines, and.
Speaker 2: The crew flawlessly executes their shut down procedures. Within a minute and a half, all four massive rolls Royce engines spool down to a halt, total silence, total silence. They are now flying a three hundred and fifty ton glider descending in total eerie silence toward the jagged, unforgiving peaks of the Java Mountains, and.
Speaker 1: The captain makes us agonizing calculation, right if they cannot get the engines restarted, he will ditch the plane in the pitch black ocean rather than risks smashing into the mountains.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the craziest part the weather radar showed absolutely nothing. The sky appeared completely clear because they.
Speaker 1: Had flown straight into the plume of Mount Gollongung, a volcano one hundred miles away, had violently erupted, blasting a massive cloud of ash fifteen thousand meters into the night sky.
Speaker 2: PILs Dude winds carried it directly into the flight path of flight nine.
Speaker 1: Right, And volcanic ash isn't smoke, and it isn't wet.
Speaker 2: No, it is incredibly fine pulverized dry rock and mineral microscopic shards of glass and stone. Because there is no moisture, weather radar simply looks right through it.
Speaker 1: So they were flying at five hundred miles an hour through a microscopic sand blaster exactly. That explains the sane Elmo's fire. The intense friction of trillions of dry rock particles hitting the metal fuselage generated massive static electricity. It literally sand blasted the paint off the nose and frosted the windshield so badly it became totally opaque.
Speaker 2: But the true danger was happening deep inside those Rolls Royce engines.
Speaker 1: Right, Because the combustion chamber of a jet engine operates at an inferno of around two thousand degrees celsius.
Speaker 2: And volcanic rock melts at roughly thirteen hundred degrees. Oh boy, Yeah, as the engine sucked in millions at cubic feet of this abrasive rock, it instantly melted. It turned into this sticky to two two thousand degree molten goo that coated the turbine blades, the combustion chambers, and the guide vanes, basically suffocating the airflow.
Speaker 1: And those forty foot flames shooting out the back.
Speaker 2: Those were massive backfires, the engines violently rejecting the jet fuel they could no longer burn because they were choked by liquid rock.
Speaker 1: Wait, okay, if the engines ingested molten volcanic goo that plastered the turbines and physically choked them to death, how in the world did they manage to restart them just minutes before they hit the ocean? Because I know the crew kept trying the restart sequence over and over as they fell.
Speaker 2: It's honestly an incredible stroke of thermodynamics. Really yeah, When the engines shut down, the fire went out without the continuous two thousand degree heat of combustion. The frigid, high altitude air rushing through the dead engine rapidly dropped the internal temperature.
Speaker 1: Oh so the molten volcanic goo must have solidified again, exactly.
Speaker 2: It rapidly cooled and hardened back into a brittle glass like crust coating the metal blades, and as the engines continued to mill and the oncoming air during their glide, the mechanical vibration caused that brittle glass crust to shatter and flake off.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding? The engine literally shed its own cast it did. The cold air that shut down the combustion is exactly what caused the glass to shatter and save them.
Speaker 2: The airflow cleared just enough so when the crew frantically ran the restart drill for what felt like the fiftieth time, the fuel could finally ignite cleanly. Wow. The engines roared back to life, and they managed to climb out of danger, landing safely despite having a completely frosted, opaque windshield.
Speaker 1: That is just unbelievable. So we've seen how aviation adapted to the invisible wind shear of microbursts, the radar deception of massive hail, and the molten rock of volcanic ash. But let's bring it into the modern era. Okay, Yeah, what happens today when a highly engineered fly by wire modern jet still falls victim to extreme weather combined with the slightest fraction of human error.
Speaker 2: We traveled to August two thousand and five air France flour Light three fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Right. The scene is Toronto, and the atmosphere on the ground is incredibly tense. A brutal summer storm is parked right over.
Speaker 2: The airport, and lightning is striking so frequently that authorities have declared a red alert. Ground crews aren't even a lot outside on the tarmac.
Speaker 1: And the plane is an Airbus A three forty. We're talking about modern fly by wire jets now, where computers constantly translate the pilot's inputs to the control surfaces to maintain stability. It's big, it's heavy, and it's packed with two hundred and ninety seven passengers, and.
Speaker 2: They're coming in to land on runway two four left, which happens to be the shortest runway at the airport.
Speaker 1: Just a terrible combination. They are fighting a massive shifting thirty three not crosswind, the rain is absolutely blinding.
Speaker 2: And they touch down hard. They land nearly halfway down this already incredibly short runway, and.
Speaker 1: The tires hydroplane basically skimming on top of a microscopic layer of standing water instead of actually gripping the tarmac right.
Speaker 2: Which turns this two hundred ton jet into a helpless high speed sled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they run entirely out of real estate, plunge off the end of the runway, and nose dive into a fifty foot deep mud ravine bordering one of the busiest highways in North America, and the.
Speaker 2: Plane is shattered by the impact. Aviation fuel immediately begins pouring out of the ruptured wing tanks.
Speaker 1: Passengers describe this terrifying orange aura glowing outside the windows as the spilled fuel ignites in the rain. Panic just erupts in the cabin, and.
Speaker 2: The investigation into this overrun revealed a perfect storm of compounding factors. The brutal weather set the trap sure, but critical seconds were lost during the landing role. How so well, when the plane finally touched down the reverse thrusters, the critical systems that redirect the engine blast forward to act as brakes weren't deployed for a full seventeen second.
Speaker 1: Seventeen seconds that is an absolute eternity when you're traveling at one hundred and forty miles an hour toward a cliff.
Speaker 2: It is the exact difference between stopping safely on the pavement and plunging into the ravine. Why the delay, The strong crosswind was forcing the plane laterally off the runway center line. The co pilot was at the controls, and he was struggling so violently to keep the plane straight on the wet runway that his hand was clamped down with an unbreakable death grip on the throttle lever.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. So he was fighting the fly by wire system and the wind so hard that the captain literally couldn't pry his handoff to engage those reversers Exactly.
Speaker 2: By the time they finally deployed the reversers, they were already running out of pavement.
Speaker 1: But the absolute miracle of this story is what happens next. You know, the next time you're sitting on a plane and you hear a flight attendant tell you to locate your nearest exit. Remember Air France three of E eight. Oh yeah, every single person survived. All two hundred and ninety seven people made it out of that burning wreckage, and.
Speaker 2: That survival rate is a testament to the rigid ninety second rule. Aviation safety engineers know that in a severe postcrash fire, the real killer isn't always.
Speaker 1: The flames, it's the smoke.
Speaker 2: It's the chemistry of the smoke. Burning modern plastics, seat phones polyurethane, they produce highly toxic gases like hydrogen, cyanide and carbon monoxide. After about ninety seconds to two minutes, the air inside the cabin becomes completely unbreathable lethal.
Speaker 1: So the crew and passengers of three P fifty eight scrambled through that darkening, toxic smoke. They slid down the emergency choots, some of which didn't even deploy properly because of the steep angle of the ravine, and clawed their way up the muddy banks just seconds before the entire fuselage became an absolute inferno.
Speaker 2: It really is a miracle. And you know, it is also worth noting a piece of runway technology that could have prevented the plunge into.
Speaker 1: The ravine entirely right emass.
Speaker 2: Yeah engineered material arresting system.
Speaker 1: It's basically a massive bed of crushable concrete blocks placed at the end of a runway. If a plane rolls off the carmack, it sinks into these blocks, right. It's like riding a bicycle into a deep gravel.
Speaker 2: Pity.
Speaker 1: It just arrests your forward momentum smoothly and safely without destroying the aircraft.
Speaker 2: But Toronto did not have it installed at the end of runway twenty four left at the time. Following the investigation into Flight three Fight, the calls to install such systems grew exponentially louder across the global aviation community.
Speaker 1: We have covered an incredible amount of ground today, from the invisible, crushing aerodynamic trap of a microburst over Texas, to deceptive radar holes hiding baseball sized hail over Georgia, to liquid rock physically suffocating jet engines over the Indian Ocean in a high speed overrun into a Canadian ravine.
Speaker 2: We really have.
Speaker 1: We've seen how Mother Nature's absolute fury has tested the very limits of human engineering, pilot skill, and survival instincts.
Speaker 2: And while these stories are undeniably terrifying. They are the exact reason that commercial flying is so incredibly safe today. Every tragedy, every terrifying near miss we dissected today was meticulously pulled apart to find the root cause. The aviation industry doesn't hide from these events. It learns from them.
Speaker 1: They rebuilt radar systems to see wind yes.
Speaker 2: They redefined engine tolerances. They can calculated the exact chemistry of tab and smoke, and they engineered new runway materials to give pilots the tools to keep you safe in the sky.
Speaker 1: It is an evolving science built on the bleeding edge of the envelope. But as we leave this deep dives, consider this final thought. We've seen how aviation conquered the extreme weather hazards of the nineteen seventies and eighties, But as climate change continues to rapidly increase the frequency and the extreme violence of weather events worldwide, the atmosphere itself is fundamentally changing. It really is warmer air holds exponentially more moisture. That means denser microbursts, more violent updrafts breeding massive hail, and just far more thermal energy pumping into these storm systems. Will the aviation safety rules written by the storms of the twentieth century be enough to protect us from the highly volatile superstorms of tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That is the exact question aerospace engineers are grappling with right now as they design the next generation of aircraft.
Speaker 1: So next time you are buckled into your seat and hear the deep rumble of the engines spooling up, just remember the immense, invisible architecture of safety you are writing inside. Thank you for joining us on this intense exploration, Stay curious, and we'll see you on the next deep dive.