Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey there everyone, and welcome back to Disconnected. I'm so happy to have everybody here tonight, Dustin, it's been quite some time we're just talking about this feels like just I don't know, seven weeks ago, but it's been like nine.
Speaker 3: Months, yeah, September, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Just thrilled you're here. So how are you welcome back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for having me back.
Speaker 2: It's my honor genuinely because I am always through. Are we wearing the same shirt tonight? Really?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, happy pride again to everybody. Hello, welcome back, Welcome back. How uh how's everything been you? You watch a ton of movies. I'd love to hear what you've been loving this year.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I was. I was gonna say, uh when we were talking before the show. Yeah, the I think it's starting. When the Oscar nominations came out, I sort of told myself I was gonna basically watch everything that was nominated, and that included every short film. So like, I went to the theater and saw all of the shorts, the live action, they animated, the documentary shorts, nice and yeah, I think from that then, I was just like, well, let's carry it on and try to see as much as I can in the theater this year, you know, on top of everything else that that comes on in somebody's.
Speaker 2: Life, because we're you and not busy in anyway.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, so yeah, so yeah, I've seen a lot of stuff this year.
Speaker 2: Well we'll get into more recent watches very soon, but I want to remind everybody. Dustin wrote a pretty great book that is linked in the description below. If you want to check it out, please go check it out. It's a ton of basically capsule reviews of some really great horror movies. You want to give more of an elevator pitch than that.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's called The Fright File one hundred and fifty Films to See Before Halloween, And yeah, it's a collection of one hundred and fifty essay slash reviews of some of my favorite hard films.
Speaker 2: It is great, and I hope people check it out because I am so grateful to be able to have it. It was I've actually referred to it on a couple of things that I was helping write. So I appreciate you and all of your contributions that you've made. What have you been picking up lately? I'm always dying to hear this from certain people because you don't necessarily always share your pickups. So I don't know what you love to actually get. However, I know that you love a lot of the lower budget stuff, lower budget movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like, yeah, and this is a very busy time. I feel like lots of stuff is coming out. If I actually say, I had to, I had to pick and choose what I recently got because otherwise we would just be here for three hours with me. But yeah, so I've got uh yeah, but so I basically picked the ones that I got this week. So, uh, I got drop.
Speaker 2: I still need to get that. Have you have you?
Speaker 3: Did you get to see that in the theater? It's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really like Christopher Landon, the director.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's basically and he said that he was inspired by Red Eye when he made it. Oh, it's basically Red Eye but set in like a high rise restaurant.
Speaker 2: That's freaking red. I have not heard the Red Eye thing.
Speaker 3: That's great, So but yeah, that was his main inspiration. I think, so that was that was why he wanted to do it. Yeah, and it's yeah, it's just it's ninety minutes. It's tight, it's it's suspenseful, it's just very well done. Sweet.
Speaker 2: I loved Red Eye, so that Yeah, that's that's exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also got I was so happy that this actually got a Blue ray released.
Speaker 2: The the Creep tapes, I was gonna share that next week. Yeah, I got that into somewhere. Yeah, I'm so stoked on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love the movies and I've only watched one episode so far, but it's excellent. It's so creepy nice, hence the name Creep. So yeah, I'm happy for that. And then I got a Lord of Illusions the four K. Even I was disappointed that it didn't come with the Blu ray as well. It's just literally just the four K. The four K but.
Speaker 2: Sad typer pictures.
Speaker 3: And then oh now, this one was a controversial title when the when the cover was released, but I'm happy to have it, and I actually liked the cover the whiz.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think it's a great cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ok, yeah, I think yeah. If there's one questionable thing about the cover, it's Diana Ross. But I mean, yeah, but but I think it's it's it's well representative of the film, so.
Speaker 2: A very specific style. Yes, next up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, in in VHS days, i'd say the early nineties, I was really into Full Moon and even though they weren't good, not even knew back then they weren't good, but yet I still watched them. Right, I mean, there's a few that are good, but most of them aren't that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the one that I that I wanted so bad on Blu Ray and it just came out this week and I was so happy to have it is bad channels. Yeah, there we go. I just remember it's like it's half musical, half sci fi. I love the soundtrack. It has lots of like Blue Oyster called in it nice. Have you seen that one?
Speaker 2: No, I am dying to see it that I did not know the musical thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then all right, and then the rest literally just came today in the mail. So I got from Radiance, I got Palin Drooms excellent and yeah, I haven't seen this since the theater, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember, Yeah, I saw this at the AFI Silver in DC when it came out, and Todd Solons was actually there and did a Q and.
Speaker 2: A excellent that's so cool.
Speaker 3: All right. The next one, yeah, this is going to be another controversial pick, the Peter Pan's Never Lay a Nightmare. I have to keep getting these because I bought their their editions of the Too Winny of the Pooh Movies, and they're so nice, like this is beautiful and it comes with like a picture book and yeah, and just tons of like postcards and things and yeah, it's it's just a really nice addition. So and I actually liked the second winn of the Pooh movies so well.
Speaker 2: And I've heard this is that the Peter Pan one is actually the best of what they've done so far and like genuinely worth watching them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Yeah, yeah, I didn't think they were the one of the Pooh ones were as as awful as some people said. Well, I think a lot of people actually said the second one was better than the first, and it definitely was. You could tell that the budget was a lot higher.
Speaker 2: Let's let's be honest. Most people just had an opinion without ever seeing them. That's the that's the truth.
Speaker 3: And the next one coming is Bam, b the Reckoning, so we'll see how that is.
Speaker 2: And I still need to see screen Boat. I'm actually pretty.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's entertaining. I can't say it's I can't say it's great. But the what's his name, the terrifier.
Speaker 2: Guy, Oh, I just forget it. David Howard Thornton.
Speaker 3: Dave Howard Thorton. Yes, he, I mean he makes it like he's the best thing about it easily, very different than art the clem.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not just repeating himself. And then yeah, I got a bunch. I got all of the June Partner labels from Vinegar Syndrome today already, I fell the earliest that they've come in the mail, because yeah, I got the May like the halfway to Black Friday ones last week, and all of a sudden, I got the June ones. So I just picked a couple. I had to pick scare Crow in a Garden of Cucumbers because that's the best title ever. This one. Yeah, I hadn't heard of this before it was announced, but it looks really interesting rounding it does.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm easier to see this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then the last one is Enter the Void. This is a really nice addition to it's you can see like it's it's got like a big booklet with it, and yeah, yeah, it's very nice. And then the very last thing that I got that just arrived like two hours ago before the show.
Speaker 2: Oh again, you are the first one to get it. That's amazing, man, that I cannot wait to hold it. That's my favorite so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a great issue. I really liked. I think it was Stan he did the article on the devils that was but yeah, I'm really enjoying reading it.
Speaker 2: So we are very proud of this issue. We were kind of worried about having enough to make it interesting and then we had too much at the end. I want to go back. Josephine left a comment before we got on, and I want to highlight some of these. Josephine says, first time watches sleep Away Camp, Rumbad, Jane, Silent Bob, strike Back, the Sunshines Bright, and Clooney Brown. I've not even heard of the last one. Any of these that you've seen and want to want to comment on.
Speaker 3: I mean, sleep Away Camp is a classic.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant. Yeah, I I'll also throw out there, Jane Silent, Bob Streke Back, one of my favorites of all time, love me.
Speaker 3: And yeah that one's good too.
Speaker 2: Stances, thank you all right. So I set aside three to talk about this week, thankfully, no crossovers. One I got in the four K of Abigail, which I lived year. This is the Turbine release from Germany, not the Screen Factory one. It is a slipcase with the four K inside. I trust Turbine maybe just a little bit more than saut Factory, so that's why I chose them. And then I missed this one last year. I didn't think I was gonna get it, and then I had a couple of people really explained to me how important it was. And I've never seen the movie, so it's gonna be a first time watch, hopefully in the next couple months. But I went out and made sure that I got Kickboxer on four K before it left Amazon. This is an exclusive four K s to a book that Lion's Gate put out, and it's the best release of the movie so far, not just because it's in four K, but it's got the multiple cuts of the film. It's got pretty much everything that somebody would want on it and I need to check it out.
Speaker 3: Was that the what did you say? That was out of print?
Speaker 2: Now? No, but it's one of those that I'm expecting it to not last a long time. I was kind of surprised it was still this is the steel book on the inside, and then this is the back cover. And then of course being Amazon, because I don't really trust it very much. I bought it once and had to return it because they sent me an open copy that was mangled. Definitely a return, and they just sent it right out. Simonar is saying, is Amazon's stopping production of it? It's not Amazon's choice, it's lions Gate's choice. And they're a lot of their limited edition stuff that was exclusive to Amazon has gone out a print already. And then finally, this is my last thing, but probably the thing that I'm most excited about for this month's pickups. This is from a company in Italy actually called the Legends, and this is their brand new release of Singham. This is their first physical media release as part of their company and as a brand new company, they just signed with Shout to release the not all of them, but like ten, eight or ten of the Golden Princess titles that they've signed. So this company that's giving a lot of great attention to stuff like this is going to be getting their hands on City of Fire, the John Wu titles, a couple of the others, and I mean the fact that Shout is licensing it too, Munch Territory shouldn't be surprising to people. But I'm glad that we're gonna have options around the world of some of these like City on Fire and Hard Boiled that people want the best possible release for.
Speaker 3: So yeah, awesome is what is the label caught again?
Speaker 2: They're called it's a it's a pretentious title, but they're called Legends. Here is their logo and the brand name right there. Well, I guess Legends Collection. And yeah, as you can see on the side, this is the Legends Collection Number one. Nice eager to see this. I've heard it's a really fun movie and Indians does not get enough releases. I know that that company, I think it's called the Cloud Door, is like doing a Kickstarter or Indiegogo types thing in the next couple months, and they're gonna be focusing on South Asian stuff, a lot of Indian cinema, so hopefully we see an uptick of those. Yeah, all right, now now the now the big question, what have you been watching lately? What have you loved in theaters in the last couple we'll say month and a half.
Speaker 3: Well, I figured I'll focus on this week's stuff. I've already seen all three of the wide releases this week, so I'll go over there. But yeah, last night I saw How to Trade Your Dragon the live action. I saw it in IMAX. It's probably what you're expecting, which is it's basically if you've seen the animated one, it's basically a repeat of that pretty much beat for beat. Yeah, it really isn't that much that's different about it. I mean I try to go into it and sort of imagine if I was watching it without there being an animated version, so like if I were to just watch it as a live action film and there was no previous one. It is well done, and I mean, and you know, I enjoyed it enough, but at the same time, it was hard because you just keep questioning, like you know why, like even though you know why, but I mean it is it is well done in its own way. But yeah, there I feel like they could have done a lot more with changing it up from the animated version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I'm just too cynical. I mean, I know a lot of people. It's not like a hot take to say I hate remakes or whatever. I don't hate that these exist. I just don't see why, like it, is it genuinely just a cash grib or are they trying to reach a different audience that doesn't appreciate animated movies, which those exist. I'm not I'm not putting that down at all, because I totally get that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like it's it's gonna do big numbers this weekend.
Speaker 2: Always will.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be like Lee Loan Stitch. It's gonna be It's gonna be big, and that's why it exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, that's that's most likely the exact answer.
Speaker 3: And then just earlier this evening before the show, I saw Materialists, that's the new Sealine Song film, And yeah, I said in my little review for it that the worst thing that can be said about it is that it's not Past Lives, which was just such a great film. But with that said, it's still very well done. It's a it's romantic comedy, drama, but probably more rama than comedy. I think, Yeah, that's what I've heard. The trailer makes it look more like a comedy, but it's Dakota Johnson is excellent in it, and it's nice to see a romance where the characters actually talk to each other and say what they mean without there being you know, false crises and you know, misunderstandings and things like that. And they're actually adult characters who act like adults. So in that way, it was very, very impressive, And yeah, I did like it.
Speaker 2: I am very eager see it's I loved Past Lives, so I am. I am definitely making it a point to see it this weekend. I missed Past Lives in the theater, like we talked about before, I'm not going to miss this one. This is a must for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm glad that you're going to get to see it. And then yeah, and then the third one that's opening wide this weekend, The Life of Chuck Mike Flannagan.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 3: How do I how do I say it? It's very rare that there it only comes around every every few years for me where I see a movie that just affects me so deeply and so profoundly that I just I instantly know not only is it going to be the best of the year, but it's instantly one of my all time favorites. Like I just it. Yeah, it's very rare that that happens, and it just it's so inspiring to see something that just works on every single level and has so much to say at the same time. And it's just it's the movie that we really need right now, because while everything is just on fire, like this is the type of movie that makes you feel happy to be alive, and it's I just I can't recommend it enough for everybody. I think everybody would enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I think this I think this debuted at TIFF last year in like September.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually, and then it took a while to come out.
Speaker 2: So this is like we had first heard the rumblings literally almost nine months ago ish, and I've been since that first moment dying to see this. I mean, I adore Flannagan, and yeah, to get away from his usual thing and to be getting the praise that this is getting, I'm just so excited for that.
Speaker 3: And yeah and yeah, so the best thing he's done, and I mean, that's saying a lot because he cheese. I mean, I like everything that he's done. And of course it's based on the story by Stephen King, and I would say that it's it's not that the storylines are the same, but I would say I would sort of compare it tonally to something like stand by Me Grant of course, that's one of my all time favorites as.
Speaker 2: Well, so one of his best movies by far.
Speaker 3: And also the cast, it's just like it has the best ensemble, like every and it's the sort of movie where it's so specific in the way that it's written and the way that it's acted that every single actor, every single character that shows up, even if it's only for one scene, you remember them vividly after the movie's over. Yeah. I mean Matthew Lillard, for example, he has one scene in the movie and he nearly brought me to tears, like.
Speaker 2: He's so good one scene that's crazy.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and I was like, all right, this is the best performance he's ever given and it's three minutes long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope he gets I don't know if it's just more work because he's like he's very busy on the convention circuit, too, but I would love to just see him in everything. He's got so much like left in the tank of just great stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that we've been seeing him a little bit more often lately. Yeah, but like even you know, like I loved seeing Mia Sarah in something again from like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Legend because she hasn't been she has she basically retired from acting and long a movie and I think like thirteen years Yeah, and Mike Flanagan specifically came to her and asked her to be in it, and she was like, for you, I'll do it. Amazing and it's it's a great performance from her, so and even you know, I was even happy. I had no idea that she was in it, Like Heather Legan Camp is in it, and I was so happy to see her. You know, just lots of actors that you I feel like they're underutilized in film these days, and he actually gives them solid roles. So yeah, yeah, I was happy to see it. But it is just yeah, it is a great, great film.
Speaker 2: Can't wait seeing that in the Materialists on Saturday. I've had my tickets spot. I'm actually going with KB who's usually on the show he'll be on probably later tonight taking the Wives. It can be a good, good day. Can't wait.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear what you think of it.
Speaker 2: I had a just surprisingly decent week for me with movies. The first one which is the only like older film that's not like a brand new release. I was asked to be on the newest episode of the New World Pictures podcast not been released yet, but you can hear us go into depth on the film. A standalone from nineteen eighty five. This is a movie that is Charles starring Charles Dirning, about a veteran that witnesses a murder. You find out and either way it's atrocious. It's a fun episode, but good lord, this movie is god awful. Standalone is bad, bad bad. Recent watches though, that just got released. The Wife and I did a triple feature this weekend in the theater, which we don't get to do a whole lot. Started off with the happiest film ever made, and we watched Bring Her Back. I was so excited to see this because I know that, like a lot of people love Talk to Me, I didn't love Talk to Me, but I really liked it a lot I thought it had a really it showed a lot of potential for the filmmakers. I truly adored the sound design in it. And then Bring Her Back came back with a lot of divisive, middling reviews. A lot of people kind of hated it. The writing didn't work for some people. A lot of people didn't like that it was less horror and more like like visceral depression. I guess in a way and good. I don't even know what to say, like, I don't want to spoil too much. This movie is great. I love this way more than Bring Her Back. It's still not like a five star film or anything, but I really felt this movie. Oh did it go up? Ryan? I had no idea. Thanks man, I guess the New World Pictures podcast episode does check it out. I've been just connected part of the pun from the internet most of the day, and that is good to hear. Yeah, Bring Her Back has two moments in this movie that made me physically fringe more than any movie that I've seen in at least the last ten to twelve years. Very interesting to see where they took the lore on this. They didn't really explain a lot, which can be a good thing. I think this movie could have been served a little bit with some more explanation of what was happening. I'm more than happy to leave things up to people's interpretation. This thing you needed to sort of explain a little bit, like of the process of what we were seeing. And if you've if you've seen it, you understand what I'm saying. But man, this movie, this movie is good, and they know how to write a goddamn depressing film.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, I thought it was great too. Sally Hawkins.
Speaker 2: I was about to say those two words, Sally Hawkins is mind blowing in this movie.
Speaker 3: It's like the antithesis of Paddington.
Speaker 2: It is the anti Paddington. And yeah, it was great. What's going on? Cubic Clover. Second feature in our double feature was the newest Wes Anderson, the Phoenician Scheme. I notoriously have not been too high on a lot of Wes Anderson since I think the last one I thought was like brilliant, brilliant was the Fantastic Mister Fox. I have not hated everything or anything like that. It is I don't know, it's just not my thing. I like, I appreciate the ability to like ooze style into your films. I just want there to be a little deeper story with it, and it's pretty damn surface level with the with the style basically taking center stage, and honestly, that works for a lot of people, just doesn't work for me. I liked the Phoenician scheme. I don't and none of them I've not thought any of them are bad movies. Wes Anderson is good at what he does. I just certainly want a little bit more than what he gave was going on RAFA Welcome to the Channel. I loved the basketball scene. For anybody that's seen the Venetian Scheme, I think it might have been the scene that stole the entire film. Cranston and Hanks have incredible chemistry together. Put them as the stars of it. I know they're giant names, that would be really difficult, but put them as like a team up something sort of buddy movie. I really think they would give us a really great movie. They had just incredible chemistry and Michael Sarah like probably the performance of his lifetime, which he's never been bad or anything, but he did so well in this thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was the highlight for me, and I thought I feel like, yeah, the last Yeah, I liked it enough too, But I did think it was one of his weaker films. I feel like, especially recently, he's les Anderson has overstuffed his casts with so many people who are talented and then he basically gives them nothing characters like Yeah, so many people are wasted in it. Yeah, and it's just a shame. But I guess if he can, if you can get the best people, I mean for even the smallest role, I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the thing. He's got the cachet to have like a mind blowing cast in any other movie. This cast alone is oh my god, I have to go see this tomorrow. But Wes Anderson, I was like, Eh, if I see it the theater, cool, If not, no big deal. And then the surprise for me of the weekend, I was shocked. I really enjoyed Dangerous Animals and yeah, reading my letterbox review, you probably wouldn't think that I really enjoyed it, But three and a half is pretty decent for a film. I went into expecting what we've gotten from most shark movies, which this kind of is a shark movie, and not really from the last fifteen years, which is, hey, there's like two good scenes and the rest of the movies kind of man like, really bad acting.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I thought this was actually surprisingly great. Have I don't think other than I had to look him up after because I could not remember seeing him in anything. But I'd never seen Ji Courtney in anything other than The Suicide Squad I guess, which I don't even know what he did in that movie. I barely remember the movie, but yeah, I'd not seen anything else that he's known for. This movie, Dangerous Animals is great. This is way more of a serial killer movie than a shark movie, which they hinted at kind of in the trailers and all that stuff. But this is way better than you expect it to be. I thought the acting was surprisingly top notch through this entire thing. Really solid storyline, a couple like ify plot points, but it's a movie you suspend your disbelief and everything's good. I think people would enjoy this quite a bit. And then random happenstance. We had already started to set and print a Q and A with the director from mister Jeremy Long and the newest issue of The Physical Media Advocate, so I got to read that after without any spoilers, it's it's a really good movie. I think there was at least like two really good scares in this some really great body horror. I am not loving the ending, but everything else was really really great in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree completely with what you just say. Yeah. I would almost say it's like Wolf Creek with sharks.
Speaker 2: Literally, yes, and also another Aussie film which in Australia makes some really great movie.
Speaker 3: And the lead actress, she was excellent, but she looked so much like Jennifer Lawrence to me, Yeah, that's all I could think. I mean, but she's.
Speaker 2: I was so stoked because, yeah, the same thing. I was like, this is good. I had no idea Jennifer Lawrence was in this, like they never mentioned it. And then she tilted her head. I was like, oh wait, that's not her. Yeah she looked great. Yeah, just truly great movie. And the big thing I don't want to spoil much, but they there's so many voices in Dangerous Animals that they could have stopped and not taken it any further, and they don't just take it the next step that you're like, man, if they really wanted to, they could go there. There's two or three things of this movie. They go like three steps beyond that. And that's where I've really feel like international cinema that is not based in the US truly is trumping pun with the word there pretty much everything that the US can put out when it comes to genre films like this, because a serial killer shark movie in the US would have held back probably four or five of these scenes and just like kind of wuss out or not show you all the action or the scenes that happen on the boat, which if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. Not gonna spoil any of that aspect, but yeah, they do not pull back any punches whatsoever in this movie. It is so good. Yeah, Yeah, anything else you want to talk about before we get into announcements.
Speaker 3: Well I can talk a little bit about a few of the things that I've want. Watched it at home real quick. Yeah, So, starting I would say a year or two ago, I started choosing just randomly different filmmakers and then doing a chronological deep dive into into their work. I found that it was a really good way of sort of getting a clear sense of their growth and evolution over over basically their whole filmography. So like last year I did, I did Wes Anderson actually and watched everything in order, and I found that I really appreciated his work better doing it that way than watching just each one like when it would be released like each year or whatever. And I found that I changed my mind on a lot of a lot of his films watching him this way. And then I also did the same thing with Quentin Tarantino, and I did and inspired by You. Actually, I did On Bluth last year, yes, watched all of the animated films from him, and then so earlier this year I did Mike Lee and watch everything from him because I hadn't really seen anything aside from Secrets and Lies, so that was good. And then right now I'm doing the French filmmaker Eric Romer. I'm not sure are you familiar at all with his.
Speaker 2: I've seen nothing. I got to be honest, I don't know for sure that I've seen a Mike Lee movie either.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Oh well, he's great. Mike Lee is fantastic, And yeah, Eric Romer, I'm really enjoying it. I the only one that I had previously seen was Pauline at the Beach, and I had seen that back when I was a teenager, so like you know, over twenty years ago, and so I really didn't remember anything about it. But yeah, I've been going through and watching. So a lot of his filmography was separated into sort of different serieses. So like Criterion released his some of his first feature films were in the Six Moral Tales. Oh yeah, and yeah, so it's like six different films and yeah, I mean I enjoyed all of these. I've seen thirteen so far from him, because then there was so this was the Six Moral Tales came out in the sixties and seventies, and then the six six films that he did in the eighties were called Comedies and Proverbs and so, and there's some fantastic ones in here, one called The Green Ray just completely blew me away, and then another one called The Aviator's Wife. But oddly enough, I've liked everything I've seen of the thirteen, aside from the one that was sort of in between the two series from nineteen seventy six, and this had just come out from the partner label Benningerson and partner label, The Marquise.
Speaker 2: Of O Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was the only one that I haven't really cared for. It wasn't It didn't throw me. It seemed like something that was more like a work for hire sort of project for him. It didn't seem like it worked with everything else that he's done. But yeah, most of his movies are I would say, they're not big on plot. They're more about the characters and the relationships between the men and women. And I think that he just does a really good job of sort of exploring, sort of in a thoughtful way, the different Yeah, basically the relationship between men and women. They're very heteronormative.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked.
Speaker 3: I think in the thirteen movies, I may have spotted one gay couple in the back party scene, and.
Speaker 2: That was an accident. They did not mean for that to be there.
Speaker 3: But still, I'm really enjoying them. So the only ones that I have left now are he did the Tales of Four Seasons and that was another criterion set that came out, so I'll be doing those next.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Yeah, stuff like that is so great. I really wanted to to deep dive a lot of things, and so far the only thing we've done this year is Final Destination. The franchise. Not the same thing, not not quite on the level of Romey.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, Hey, I love doing a final destination. And then quickly I'll just say so my first thought after watching this, I had never seen this before, but my first thought was that in the eighties, drugs were alive and well because the Go Child could only have been made this. I don't even know. It was just have you seen it? Have you happened to see it?
Speaker 2: I've seen it years and years and years ago. I barely remember it. I just remember thinking, so, this is like Big Trouble in Little China light and like very light essentially.
Speaker 3: It's but I mean it's wild, like it was at I mean, it came out in eighty six and came out during the holidays, and I guess it was advertised as more of a family type movie because it was Eddie Murphy's first PG thirteen film. Yeah, but like so he plays a wise, cracking caseworker who's like investigating missing children and you like see the bodies of missing children anyone. It's like it gets dark and then at the same time there's like wing demons and there's like Charles Dance transforming into a rat and then there's like in one scene this like shredded PEPSI can starts dancing to putting on the ritz. I just I thought I was hallucinating, and I wasn't on any drugs, so I don't even know. But I mean I had I enjoyed it, while at the same time not really thinking it was very good. But I will say the four K looked beautiful. They did a great trance, a great restoration on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did not pick this one up. I'm still considering it and likely will at some point. I think I've got most of the vsus except for uh, like one maybe, but I mean, yeah, great packages. And it's Eddie Murphy like he's one of the masters, kind of on.
Speaker 3: It right, right, And then the last one is real quick. I yeah, this was something that you know, because I love horror so much, I'll oftentimes take a chance on just really low budget stuff that I really don't know much about, and a lot of times I'm let down. But I was very pleasantly surprised by looking at Yes.
Speaker 2: This moved. Have you seen this not yet? I had to pick it up. I just barely got it in just a little bit of go. But yeah, like I know, the guys that did the score and I've heard this is incredible.
Speaker 3: It it really impressed me, Like, I mean, yeah, this proves like what such a very limited budget and how far you can go with it, you know, with the resources that you have. So I would say that it's it's fully found footage. I would compare it to Man Bites Dog and the Poughkeepsie tapes, but in a more modern lens, so it's set you know, modern day, and I would say, like it gets very dark because it's told completely from the point of view of this sort of like lurker who's walking around his town and following you know, women and looking in their you know windows and watching them, and then you know he eventually Grant graduates to serial killing and you know, it does get very dark, but it doesn't have that like ick factor that makes you feel bad afterwards, like right, which I think that a lot of those movies do, like probably like something like August Underground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's one of them.
Speaker 3: But I was just yeah, it was just so well done and and you know, it's a it's definitely a slow burn, but I was I was transfixed for all eighty minutes of it. It was just it was just fascinating. So yeah, I highly recommend that one. And then and then the last things that I'll say is just I think it was last night. I watched twenty eight days later Nice out of print and twenty eight weeks later, and I hadn't seen I had seen, I hadn't seen twenty eight weeks later since the theater, so it had been oh my gosh, eighteen years. I can't believe that it's been eighteen years since the sequel.
Speaker 2: Well, before you talk about it, this is perfect time to say, hang out for the entire show tonight, because after the announcements, we're going over underappreciated sequels. We're both going to be sharing five. And I think twenty eight weeks later he is genuinely underappreciated sequel.
Speaker 3: I think it's better than the first one.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wouldn't go that far, but.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going there. I feel like, yeah, I feel like the I like the first one, but I feel like it sort of falls apart in the second half when they get to that mansion.
Speaker 2: It does slow down a little bit, and.
Speaker 3: It yeah goes in a direction that, yeah, it just doesn't really fully work for me. Twenty eight weeks later, I just think is more interesting, And yeah, I was surprised, Like every everywhere you look there's like these, you know, big stars or they've become stars since then, like Jeremy Renters in It, Rose burn Iddris Elba, like it's just one after the other. You're like, oh my god, I can't believe. But yeah, I like them both, but I do like twenty eight weeks later, just a little bit more man.
Speaker 2: The I scene in twenty eight days though, incredible, the crow or raven scene, and then the drip and the eye Oh yes, oh my gosh, just brilliantly filmed, brilliant. All right, are we ready for announcements?
Speaker 3: Then yep, let's good for it.
Speaker 2: Before we do, I do want to say one more thing. And I know I'm the one that just said are we ready for announcements? But as usual, I'm going to say something stupid to make like seventeen people unsubscribed and I don't give a shit. So I really hope people are paying attention to what is happening around the world this weekend. Saturday is going to be a very busy day across this country. Specifically, please pay attention and keep yourself safe. I've already I've run the local community group here in my city, and some of the things that I've already seen people post and comment are terrifying me. Protests that are happening right now that are ninety nine point nine nine nine percent completely safe and something that people are standing up for their rights and done in a way that should not be questioned, or something that we are doubting is being met with opposition that is militaristic to a fault. Specifically, the Kansas City governor has already ruled or sorry, the Missouri governor has already ruled that Kansas City is going to be in a state of emergency and deployed our National Guard. Nothing has happened, and the National Guard is all the way on their way here, and nonehing about that makes sense. I am. I'm genuinely worried for what is about to go down this weekend. I hope that it is massive thunderstorms and DC so we don't see any parades happening, but this is going to be a very telling weekend for a lot of people. Stay safe, watch out for icy conditions, and I hope that everybody's well, that's it, well said. Let's talk about the keep. This is the Michael Mann film that was released for the first time last fall in HD by Vinegar Syndrome, and we are seeing what is probably going to be the definitive release of this film. Everybody saying, why don't we get a director's cut is not coming, it doesn't exist. Just let's get past that. But this announcement looks kind of incredible. Yes, it is pricey, I'm not doubting that, but this thing is another one of their giant, heavy ass releases. This thing is twenty four by thirty three centimeters waste three kilograms. Jesus comes with a color laminated twenty seven by forty inch folded print of the original poster, a reprint of the five issue comic book series by F. Paul Wilson and Matthew Smith, a repro of the original press kit, repro of Lobby Cards, hardcover booklet with eighty pages of photographs, original production material, new essays, and a reprint of a nineteen eighty four Fingo article. We've got a reprint of the first draft script, a three D lenticular hard case with all four discs for this and then a custom made transparent PVC display case with anti scratch lamination Jesus. But the big thing here, like there's all kinds of new extras, We've got multiple new commentaries. That is all cool and all that, but really my pride and joy that I'm excited for is you got to go onto Disc three and Disc four. Disc three is the documentary a World War two fairy tale, the making of Michael Manns to Keep with new interviews and featurettes, and then Disc four the Tangerine Dream soundtrack on CD that you get to take with you, and that is amazing. I am very tempted by this ridiculous release.
Speaker 3: So they just threw it together over a weekend, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, for those that remember, Imprint Announcement is announce this literally like the weekend that Vinegar Syndrome had theirs go on sale to let people know it was coming. So we've anticipated this for about eight months. Imprint has clearly been working on this for a very long time. This is pretty much everything that you could want on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tempting. I have the Vinegar Syndrome one, so that's the only reason I wouldn't get it. But I mean, there's so much extra stuff here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: They make it hard to decide.
Speaker 2: Do And what makes it even harder to decide is if you had the Vinegar Syndrome release with the slipcover, which I believe you do, you can sell that thing for almost the price of this version on eBay right now, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: Wow. But yeah, it had been the first time that I when The Vinegar Syndrome came out, that was the first time I'd ever seen The Keep, And of course, you know it had been built up so much, but I also knew about all of the production issues that they had, and I think you can clearly see where somebody else, like the studio took over for Michaelmannley. I feel like the first half is fantastic and so just it's like setting itself up to be like something truly special, and then I feel like it sort of falls apart more in the second half. But at the same time, like I admire it so much, I just wish that we could sort of go back in time and let Michael mann just make the movie that he wanted to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree there, So, Yeah, this is a ridiculous release of The Keep. And beyond that if you are, you know, tempted by print. First of all, I believe this is like a little more than halfway there to free shipping. Already, they're announcing twenty two films plus a TV series tonight. It is going to be a crazy night of announcements for Imprint. Those usually come during the show. We'll talk about all those next Thursday. Good lord though, craziness, all right, Moving right along. One archive posted their announcements last week. First is Brainstorm from nineteen sixty five. This is a brand new four K scan of the OCN. This one is one that I am not at all familiar with. It says the most fiendish idea ever conceived by the human brain. Not a lot of names with this, but it looked like it got some good reviews. Do you know this one?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, All eight or nine of the winner archives that they announced for this month, I haven't seen any of them. But I also like, I get excited each month when they announced them, and there's so much that I don't know, because yeah, you know, nine high out of ten. If I take a chance and pick them up, I end up really enjoying them. And it's so many things they Yeah, I had no idea of it existed before they were announced, so but yeah, I'm interested in most of the stuff this month from them.
Speaker 2: Well, and they've really kicked it up a notch, like we never saw seven eight titles for yeah, and now it's like, oh, let's just open the catalog and throw everything out there. Next, this one is Bright Leaf from nineteen fifty. Again four K scan of the OCN. This one is in black and white. Special features on this one we got some classic cartoons Bunker Hill Bunny and Hillbilly Hare. This is a Gary Cooper Lauren to call Patricia Neil film. Not my style of movie, but again, I'm just glad it's gonna be archived properly for everybody. Then the one that excited me the most Melinda from nineteen seventy two. This one says blaxploitation superstars Calvin Lockhart, Rosalind Cash, Vaneta mcguh and Jim Kelly take on the Mob and the supercharge action packed thriller. You've already got me high want in right there, we got a four K scan of the OCN. This one will have the trailer on it, not much else. I really wish they gave some contextual extras, especially for something like this that could use it. Blaxploitation itself is really underserved in terms of supplemental features. I feel I'm not gonna really lay into shout too much right now, but the fact that they're putting out two Blaxploitation four K sets with no new extras so far is crazy. But yeah, this release looks pretty great. Then cinema Scope title. We got Knights of the Roundtable from nineteen fifty three Mel Freer Avin Gardner in this one again another four K scan of the OCN special features. In this one we got an intro by Mel Freyr, got newsreel footage of the Galla Premiere CinemaScope short MGM Jubilee Overture, and then a another CinemaScope cartoon, one Droopy Knight, which normally this would not pique my interest too much, but even just seeing the CinemaScope properly restored in four K, very curious to check this out. Actually, Yeah, moving right along one that I've been wanting to see for quite some time. Rachel bell Wore wrote about this in an issue of the Physical Media Advocate last year. I believe this is the Cobweb from nineteen fifty five Richard Woodmark, Lauren MacCall, Charles Boyer, Lillian Gish. Also in this one, this has step inside the Castle, which is a large private psychiatric facility. Here doctor Stewart mckiver, not mcguiver. Mckiver devotes night and day to this profession while neglecting his pining, voluptuous wife. A colleague with a fondness for booze and a pretty face seeks to comfort the wife. Now add Lauren Bacall, Lillian Gish, John Kerr, Susan Strasberg, oscar Levant and subplots of love, life and derangement, and you have the entanglements of the Cobweb, which is supposed to be great.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm easy, but if I hear the movie is called the Cobweb, I'm automatically.
Speaker 2: All in already. I love it. This one has a CinemaScope short on it salute to the theaters, and then a CinemaScope cartoon the Egg and Jerry, plus the trailer, and yes, I will be owning this one for sure. Next is Two Weeks with Love from Warner Archive. And I don't remember if I said at the beginning. These are all coming on July twenty ninth, all of them on Blu Ray. Reminder that they are only doing Blu Ray for the most part, most of their titles will not be four K, even though this one is yet again a four K scan of the OCN. This is one with Ricardo Montabon and Jane Powell. This one will have real memories with Jane Powell in the interview with Robert Osborne. We got classic short subjects, Crashing the Mud, the movies, screen actors, classic text, every cartoon, Garden Gopher, and then the trailer, which I'm glad there's quite a bit in there. Next up The Prisoner of Zenda. This is from nineteen fifty two. Lots of fifties titles. This month, another four K scan of the OCENA. This one has the nineteen twenty two silent version of this with Lewis Stone and Alice Terry, an audio only radio broadcast, Lux Radio Theater with Ronald Coleman and Douglas Fairbanks Junior, and then screen Director's Playhouse with Coleman and John Cromwell. I'm just glad they're throwing some extras on there this.
Speaker 3: Month, and all I can all I can see is the Legend of Zelda.
Speaker 2: When I see that, yeah, I thought the exact same thing. And then the one that I think excited people the most. They Died with their Boots On from nineteen forty one. This is coming the same day. This is a Aero Flynn and Olivia Halin title. We've got a black and white film and special features. We got Leonard Malton hosting Warner Knight of the Movies nineteen forty two at the newsreel military short Soldiers in White, a cartoon called a Tale of Two Kiddies All through the Night trailer, and then a featurette they Died their boots On to Hell or Glory, plus the trailer. Lots of stuff coming out from one of archive. Then premiered last weekend Ballerina from the World of John Wick, which I'm so, I don't know confused while we're why we're including from the World of X in titles now like The Jigsaw or whatever it was called, the from the World of Jigsaw. We didn't need that come well.
Speaker 3: I will say I saw this last week and that's not on the screen ever, Like it's just called Ballerina. It's yeah, so so I don't I don't even consider that part of the title because it's not it's not in the movie proper.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, the only reason they're doing that is because they want I mean, obviously they want as many people as possible to come. And you know, if they see that it's just called Ballerina.
Speaker 2: That's the thing in twenty twenty five. Who's going to a theater just based off of a title? I know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, but I will, I will see. I thought it was pretty good. Yeah, I actually liked it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see it last weekend. Unfortunately I still haven't seen all the John Wick titles, so I declined. This is coming soon in a Walmart exclusive four kse steel book in the US from the Lionsgate and so that is your option here, and if that is not something that is appeasing you, you can head on over to Amazon and get this Amazon exclusive four K steel book. This one is another Lion's Gate title. Kind of crazy to have two different retailer exclusive titles, but it's John Wick and that franchise, which is literally probably the most milked title from the last ten twelve years from any franchise there are so many releases of the first John Wick film, It is wild. Next up, Late Night with the Devil from last year is getting a four K Stel book here in the US from Shutter. It is decent looking steel book. I don't think I've ever heard from you what you thought of this, because I'm sure you saw this one. Would you think, oh yeah?
Speaker 3: So I like it a lot, but I have one problem with it. It it opens This isn't like really a spoiler, but it opens with sort of documentary footage sort of.
Speaker 2: This is my problem too.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, basically you know, telling the origin of you know, the talk show and this host, and you know how he came to have this show, and then it naturally should have an ending that basically is a book to that tells you what happens after the show that you know the movie is based on. And it doesn't. So I feel like it drops the ball because if it's if it's you know, pretending to be you know, an episode of a late night show from the seventies or whenever you know it's set, then naturally history would tell you what happened after the show was over, and it doesn't tell you that. And so I feel like it's it. It sort of leaves you with an unsatisfied feeling, even though what's there I really like, but I just yeah, is that? Is that what you were going to say that?
Speaker 2: And like the the other bookend is a problem obviously, but the mixing of the conceits like you start off making it look like you're actually filming in the seventies with this old school camera style, and then they quickly, very quickly give up on that, and the found footage can see is like, oh, we're filming backstage in the seventies with this massive HD camera that will immediately pull you out. We don't get all of the filtering that they wanted, and it feels, I don't know, so like disjointed. And that stuck out to me a lot as somebody that really likes fund footage. And actually we're gonna talk about fan footage in just a minute. But yeah, I didn't love this movie. I thought it was the story was good, and the performance is fine. Nothing against that just could have been so much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll agree with that.
Speaker 2: Next up one that I've heard is really fun. July twenty second Blu Range DVD releasing in the us of Fight or Flight with Josh Hartnett. This is coming from Vertical Entertainment, no special features. From what I can see, you can pre order this now no four K, although this is the type of title that screams to me, we'll get a German four K. So if you liked this movie, I would wait like a good four or five months if you're really holding out for that. I have a feeling like Turbine would would be the ones to rescue something like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, I'm so happy for Josh Hartnett, like, yes, Mac after all these years and getting lots of good roles again and he's just yeah, he's so good in this.
Speaker 2: So Sibner is asking, stuck in a locked room, are we watching Late Night with the Devil or in a Violent Nature? What do you what? Are you picking dustin.
Speaker 3: In a Violent Nature? Because I actually really liked that movie, and I know you don't like it, but I'm a big fan of it.
Speaker 2: I will watch Late Night with the Devil in a heartbeat over in a Violent Nature. I will never watch that or the sequel ever again. This one is you.
Speaker 3: Gotta give it one more chance.
Speaker 2: Come on, I have the Friday the thirteenth video game. I'll just go play that. This one is really interesting. You can get this now. It's not a pre order or anything like that, but it is a BDR released as a self release title of cap In Dimo Versus the cow Master. That title alone, mixed with the art that those that are watching live can see is wild. But let's go through this real quick. So Captain Dimo Versus the Cow Master is a fond homage to the weekly movie serials of the thirties, forties, and fifties. It follows the exploits of Captain Dimo, a hero no secret identity. He is always Captain Dimo. Along with the sidekick Cuffey, he sets out to right the wrongs of the city he calls home. Trouble and danger arrive suddenly, when a fiendish archvillain, the cow Master, invades the city and begins a reign of terror and vandalism to gain power and ultimately rule the world. It is up to Captain Dimo to thwart his evil designs, if only he can so. Now the other aspect of this that makes it super interesting. This action comedy was filmed in Massachusetts on sixteen millimeter black and white film all the way back in nineteen seventy six, and though the shooting wasn't finished until seventy seven or sorry, the shooting was finished in seventy seven, it had never actually been completed. They never finished the movie until last year time and funds became available and post production finally began. In twenty nineteen. They did a film out transfer in two K digital. This long gest dating film ended its epic road to completion in twenty twenty four and is now ready to premiere, almost fifty years after his actually first shot. So the disc is going to include a cast and crew commentary, It's got the directors talking about it at the film premiere, a trailer, three ft feature restaurant behind the scenes. But there are some names with this that people would recognize. The biggest one Larry Blumir is a part of this, and Bob Gifford is the director. It's a labor of love. The fact that they put so much work into this is just crazy that they were able to pull it off. I am so stoked. This is one I definitely want to check out.
Speaker 3: So is the director? Is the director still alive?
Speaker 2: I believe everybody is somehow, so alive. Oh wow, crazy. Yeah, Bob Gifford was there for the premiere and everything.
Speaker 3: So was he able to was he personally able to finish it? Then?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, this is all done in house like this is just some dudes that are still friends fifty years later that filmed everything then and they put it together and finished the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh wow yeah yeah, I might be interested in this too.
Speaker 2: If you are looking forward to this, check it out. This is so funny. Captain Captain Dimo is the I can't even say the title Captain di Move versus the Cowmaster dot com. I'm shocked that they could get that url that wasn't taken the trailer. Give it a watch. I think it's worth it. If you are into it, you will be very happy. Uh. Next, Keino announced that coming soon on Blu ray The Wrong Arm of the Law from nineteen sixty three. It's got a four K restoration from Studio Canal in twenty twenty three. It is Michael Caine Peter Sellers that has incredible reviews, but not one I have ever had a chance to see. But I mean, can't really go wrong with Sellers and Michael Kane. This one I had never heard of this.
Speaker 3: Did you see the Actor now?
Speaker 2: Okay? So Dkel on July fifteenth is releasing The Actor, which premiered the last year, and this says. In this existential romance, New York actor Paul Cole finds himself stranded in a mysterious small town with no memory of who he is or how he got here. With no sense of identity or purpose, he starts from scratch and begins courting a local costume designer, Edna. As bits and pieces of his past slowly emerged, he attempts to find his way home. Has anybody seen this? I would love to hear that if this is good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hadn't even Yeah, I hadn't heard of it before this announcement. I mean it sounds really intriguing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sinner says. It's called The Majestic. Yeah, this is a less action y version of The Borne Identity. Just kidding. I'd be interested in seeing it, all right. Kenos soon are releasing the second Twin from nineteen sixty six. This's got a four K restoration by Studio Canal. This is also called The Other Truth and continues their reign of films from this era. In this part of the world. I'm sure this is one that you've not had a chance to catch.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't seen those one.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody in the world has ever seen this. But I'm glad Keno's releasing. Lionsgate Limited pissed off some people this week with their announcements, which a lot of people were happy with them. But this is you know, always going to be a problem with the lions Gate Limited when they are going to be exclusive to their site. So let's get into it on the first release. This is July fifteenth, a four K release from lions Gate of Frailty from two thousand and one. This is Bill Paxton's directorial debut. Is rather good and in this release not a steel book. By the way, a lot of people see lines Gate Limited and they immediately assume steel book. Not a steel book. You get a four K with Dolby Vision, brand new art that looks really good. There's the big thing to me printed reproduction of Bill Paxson's original shooting script, which is crazy. They wanted to point out that they were incredibly lucky to have access to Bill Paxson's original shooting script, a rare and meaningful opportunity that offered a direct window in his creative process. We did our best to preserve the authenticity of the document in this booklet, keeping elements like the upside down pages and the original notes, even when they stretched beyond standard margins. Despite these challenges, were thrilled for fans to experience this piece of film history and to witness the Karen heart that Bill poured into the project. They've got a bunch of legacy features on here and then brand new features Father Figure, establishing shot with David Blocker, more stories from the Frailty set, a teaser, and a theatrical trailer. This looks like a really cool release, but again limited to the lines Gate Limited website, not gonna be anywhere else.
Speaker 3: That's pretty insane that they are actually including Yeah, Bill Paxton's shooting script in each copy, like that's yeah. When I saw this, I instantly pre ordered it. Yeah. Yeah, I'm I'm a little bit mixed on the lions Gate Limited stuff, like especially well, I think one that's coming up soon, like the the vestaurants moving over there. But I will say that, I mean, so far everything that I've gotten has been really high qualities.
Speaker 2: So oh agree, yeah, it's lines Gate. It better be at this point. Uh. Jaden says, I wish they had a free shipping threshold. They do, it's a one hundred dollars uh, they just don't advertise it. Free shipping starts at a hundred Bucksteed. The hard part is for a lot of like with lines Gate limited, they are they are genuinely limited, and so after a while they will be out of print and you can't get these anymore. But the big thing is they're releasing good titles, and that's why people are pissed is these could do well on Amazon, at Walmart, on you know, selling a diabolic everywhere if lines Gate made their stuff available everywhere. But if you're like buying stuff as they announce them, they're only announcing maybe at most three times, not sorry, three titles, not the times, but usually it's one or two, and that unless something stays in stock that you want, you're not going to get up to that one hundred dollars price point. So that is that is a tough thing. But I don't know, if it's a title you love, like a lot of people love Frailty, you don't want to miss out on it, do you?
Speaker 3: Have a theory on why they've moved to this limited sort of you know, like I mean unless you're really in know, like you know, like us with with physical media, like a lot of people would never know that this exists, yeah, you know, they would never know to go to that website unless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. I genuinely think this is literally only rooted in money. And I'm not saying it's necessarily about greed. I think they probably did like a cost assessment and found out that when they released stuff on Amazon or in Walmart, they don't they're maybe they're not even able to recoup all the costs. A lot of the stuff is semi expensive. I mean, reproducing a shooting script costs a lot of money for sure. As somebody that's done stuff like that behind the scenes, it's a lot of work. And now, like I don't know, a title like this is different. I feel like it would have done well and maybe lines Get Limited could have had the shooting script and release it widely as a standard edition. That would have been fine. So this this sucks, Like there's so many people that that could could appreciate this and they don't get a chance to see it. Give us a standard edition.
Speaker 3: Right, I have one more question about this. I think it was the first lions Gate limited release that they did. It was the Conversation in four K. Yep, do you think they're gonna do a more regular edition of that down the line? It's no bulky like I want that so bad, but I just I've been holding out because because yeah, it's just like I don't need all of the extra stuff that's with it, you know.
Speaker 2: I agree fully. The hard part is I would suggest people go for the Studio Canal standard that they released over in the UK. You can get it for like thirty bucks. Diabolic is carrying it. Orbit carries it. It may not be in stock right now, but absolutely to give a middle finger to this, Lion's Gate doesn't deserve it for something like that. Completely agree, it's expensive and it's not worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll do that. I actually I had forgotten about the Studio Canal version.
Speaker 2: So yep, A look at that. Mozart's ghost was saying that UK got the regular edition. For the conversation, somebody was asking I missed a couple things about Lionsgate here. Totally get the argument against lions to get limited, but they're getting me. That makes sense. Ryan totally get it. Jaden says, it's kind of crazy that one hundred dollars is legit. Four restaurant titles. Now, what's worse is, like, I understand the sentiment here because suddenly Vestron was in Walmart for twelve bucks and everybody went crazy. So many people weren't buying restaurant titles for the first four years that they were out there. The first eighteen restaurant titles were released at thirty dollars and never went on sale. It took until number nineteen in the restaurant titles for them to start lowering the prices. And so it used to be three and a half restaurant titles and you should be happy now that it's only four. Wellshit, come on, you own the rights to these. These should not be that expensive. Lions Gate that is so not worth it. Keith is saying, how limited are are they? Not? Just the slip of the release itself, so they don't advertise this. But I believe, based on what I've read on the forums is that it's for the most part ten thousand, especially the Steel books. But there's a couple of them that went a little faster, And the only way that we're knowing the inventory is if you do the browser trick to go look at the inventory, and even then they're adding stuff after the first print run, so basically like they get replenished at their warehouse once and then it goes out of print and it's hard to keep track of it's rough and gary. No, you can't get this from Diabolic. Diabolic will not have it, Orbit will not have it. Nobody else will have it unless Jesse from Diabolic goes and buys them full price from Lionsgate because they're not doing wholesale on these, and then sells them to you for like a five or six dollars markup at least. And at that point, if you really want it, you should just get it from Lionsgate Limited. But the way to push back on stuff like this is just not buy them. It's hard. I totally get it, especially if you love the titles like Frail T four K Is that going to happen elsewhere? Probably not? Sucks. And then if that's not enough from lines Gate Limited. Yes, like we alluded to, Goolies three aka Goolies Go to College from nineteen ninety is number thirty four in the Vestron Video collection twenty five dollars from the lines Gate Limited line too expensive. This should have been cheaper than that. That is ridiculous, especially after they've released triple features for like twelve dollars. That is crazy. This is for the first time anywhere on Blu Ray. There may have been like a gray market release in Germany or something. This is going to have an audio commentary with TJ. Bowser Paul Ashford of Project Louder Mister Carter goes to College, Goolies and gags behind the screenplay of Goolies go to College, out of the Bowl making the monsters and then trailers in a stills gallery. I'm glad this is getting a release. Everybody is like, why not four K? Vestron is still never released a four K, so probably not gonna happen anytime soon. I think if they were going to do it, they would have done it for some of the other titles.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I love the tagline out of the Bowl and totally out of control.
Speaker 2: Ghulies. Yeah, Craig is saying. I feel like I should point out the expectation of free instant shipping is a very new thing. It only exists because of Amazon. I wasn't even talking about the shipping honestly, although I guess I should point out the shittiest thing about Lionsgate Limited is that it's only available to the US. They don't ship anywhere else in the world. So if somebody loves Goolies three and wants it on Blu Ray for the first time, now, if you don't live in the US, you're just screwed. You can't get it. Sucks. That was not the final title. Oh did you want to say more about gooleis go ahea? Oh?
Speaker 3: No, no, okay. I was looking at the chat and somebody mentioned there's a Goalies four, and I'm not sure I even knew there was a four.
Speaker 2: There is a fourth one, and it still doesn't have a Blu Ray anywhere. The last title also coming on July fifteenth. This is a four K of The Surfer. This is the Nicholas Cage film that just came out. I think this got a wide release in twenty twenty five, but played like some select premieres in twenty twenty four. This is gonna have Dolby Vision, got an audio commentary with the director, and then I'm making of and a trailer. I've heard this is great. Did you get a chance to see this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I saw it.
Speaker 2: What'd you think?
Speaker 3: I was not a fan of it. Yeah, I know that a lot of people really liked it. It's very typically I like that, it's very surreal. I would say, I typically I like that in a movie. But yeah, I don't want to give too much away, but basically, like the setup is that, Yeah, Nicholas, I don't know if you know what the premises, but Nicholas Cage is like a businessman who he used to live on the beach as a child, and he has really great memories of it, and he wants to buy a beach house on the beach where he grew up. And he has like a teenage son, so he sort of wants to connect with him, and he like runs into Yeah, these these surfer it's like a surfer gang who don't want him anywhere near their turf, and he like gets basically he gets stranded in in like the parking lot of this beach area, and basically the whole movie is is more or less said in this parking lot. And I just kept wondering, like when is he give up this dream? Like leave, go home, and he just will not leave. This plays so it's almost and then and then you have to start wondering, like is he in hell? Is it like a metaphor for that? Like, because it goes so far out of reality that it just has you questioning exactly what's going on. I found it really interesting but also frustrating. But I will say Nicholas Cage, Yeah, he gives another great unhinged performance.
Speaker 2: So Jason from the Force five podcast is here. He says, it's wild. The meme ability of this film is insane. I've heard it's surreal. I've really done see it. Uh. Then he says, wasn't exactly my cup of tease a hole? But Cage is awesome, isn't he always? Isn't he always? So yeah, this looks like a great release if you're into it. I believe this is the only four K release of this film that's been announced worldwide, and the UK release has already been announced, so probably not getting another four K. And supposedly, I'm sure you could attest to it. Supposedly the this are amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And the majority of it is set in the daytime really like sort of like a sun bleached look to it. Yeah, it'll really pop nice nice.
Speaker 2: Hey. We just talked about this before we went into the announcements, But the newest issue of the Physical Media Advocate is out and put a lot of work into this one. I'm super proud of this cover. Planet Mondo killed it with this, and it goes with our featured article this month, which is on the Physics of Cinema, which I think is just really really fun, great stuff. I got a piece on the Devils the Dark, Peter Lorie, Dangerous Animals, a bunch of other stuff, another edition of bad movie Posters, some some puzzle work, and yeah, fun issue and I'm very very excited for people to see what comes out of July. Gonna be a good one. Friendship, What did you think of Friendship?
Speaker 3: There, Dustin, It's grown on me since i've seen it. Like I when I first when it first ended, I didn't know quite what to think of it because it sort of really doesn't offer up many easy answers at the end and sort of makes you, even though it's a comedy, it sort of makes you feel bad. Oh yeah, and it makes you feel sad for the character. But at the same time, like set since I've seen it, I just keep coming back to so many different scenes and lines in it and just the insanity of it. And also it's so cringe like, but I love I love cringe humor. Same.
Speaker 2: Have you watched Tim Robinson stuff outside of this?
Speaker 3: I was, I was unfamiliar with him.
Speaker 2: Wow, you should probably watch at least a few episodes if I think you should leave on Netflix. He is so good, so good.
Speaker 3: And I will say, in addition to him, like and and Paul Rudd, I thought Kate Merrow was really good in it.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, quite good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole thing with yeah, I won't give it away, but the whole thing with the tunnel is just insane.
Speaker 2: Where's your mom in the sewers? So yeah, Friendship coming on Blu ray from A twenty four in August. I love this movie. I thought it was great. I've also really loved Tim Robinson for a while. Anybody that doesn't seen Detroiter should watch that as well. It's really good, very similar style. I think you would appreciate it a lot. Yeah, this movie was just so good. This will have a director commentary on it. The DP is also on the commentary. Conormalley's on it. It's got some deleted scenes. There's an extended Q and A from men talking in the Dark Conra Omalley, extended garage scene. I believe they said it was fourteen minutes long on this, which is wild. And then they've got six collectible collectible postcards. That being said, I don't love what A twenty four is doing with their releases. I feel like they could give so much more to these films. I'm glad that they're sort of doing it themselves and got their own unique style and all that, but man, the supplemental features could be better. And we don't need the postcards. Save the money on the postcards and do either nothing and save I don't know, drop the price by two bucks, but just we don't need six cards from Friendship. Come on, let's see everybody's happy. Friendship is a movie that I enjoyed in the moment, but I don't think it worked for me as well as many of its fans. Says Terry. Yeah, I think you've really got to be all in on that cringe humor to be super thrilled with it. I have never seen this, but man, what I've read this week is making me dying to see it in August.
Speaker 3: I've always wanted to see this one and never have either.
Speaker 2: It looks so good. August twenty sixth, Studio canal Over in the UK giving us a blu ray of Fresh from nineteen ninety four. This is a movie start during Gean, Carlosposito, Samuel L. Jackson. We've got brand new interviews with some people from the film, quite a few brand new interviews actually, and then some archival pieces and again I don't know, I've never seen this heard it's great and dying to see it. Very very eager. Brian says, Fresh is very good. First sat on laser disc. Imprint also did this one. I think Imprint did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have the Imprint No way.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I don't remember that at all. Music Box Films on June twenty fourth, which for the record is only in twelve days. Very quick announcement here they're releasing ephis from this year, which I had heard was getting a release, but I don't think displayed anywhere near me. This is supposed to be pretty good, this says. As an imminent construction project looms over their beloved baseball field, two New England recreational teams playball for the last time. As day turned into night and innings bleed together, the players chat, laugh, and squabble as they face the uncertainty of a new era named for a rare curveball Carson LUNs poignant comedies and oda sports community in the Passage of Time, and I really want to check this one out. The trailer for this looked really good.
Speaker 3: I've heard from people who have seen it at different film festivals that it is really good.
Speaker 2: Nice, very nice. We talked about this a couple of weeks ago, so we won't spend a lot of time here. But August twelfth, Kino is doing that standalone release of nineteen forty nine's The Great Gatsby. It's got all the same extras as will be on the disc that's coming in their Film Noir box set. I think that one's in number twenty seven, twenty six or twenty seven. Good lord, they've done so many box sets.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that is that is the same one as this.
Speaker 2: Exact same disc, So if you're planning on getting the box set, you don't need to worry about getting this as well.
Speaker 3: I'm in. I'm in for the last twenty five, so I guess I gotta cu.
Speaker 2: You gotta stop now, please, I draw the line at twenty five film noir.
Speaker 3: I never, I never when I started collecting them at the beginning. I never, in my wildest dreams would have thought that they would keep going. And now it's stuck.
Speaker 2: And I know that we've joked about this every time, but now that they are so close to the thirtieth one, they have to do something silly with box xxxx right, like you have to do like a box of neo noir rock thrillers or something. Please please make it work. Speaking to Keno, August twelfth, they're giving us a Blu Ray of Save the Tiger from nineteen seventy three. This one was also released by Imprint. Speaking of how we just talked about that, this one will have the audio commentary with the director and the writer producer. We'll also have a new audio commentary with Dwayne Epstein. Nothing else on this but those two audio commentaries. But this one should be available pretty cheap. And I believe this is the first Blu Ray release of this in the States, if I remember right. So pretty exciting for people that love this movie. And Jack Lemon, like the dude's always great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one that I've yeah, I've always wanted to see and did did Imprint do a Jack Lemon box set? I don't think so, Okay, I feel like I I yeah, I don't think so either, But I yeah, because I thought that I had this, but maybe I never got it from Imprint. But so if I don't, I'll get this one.
Speaker 2: Ooh. It says out of stock on the Imprint site, so this one might be out of print from them. Oh okay, Oh and they also that's right, they did the Odd Couple as well, which is the other big Jack Lemon thing. Uh, there you go. Paul from Australia's Imprint has not done a Jack Lemon set. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Next another keynot title. August twelfth, they are doing a pre Code Classics double feature set. This one include Confessions of a co Ed and Ladies of the Big House, both from nineteen thirty one. This is going to have a new audio commentary with David del Val and Stan Schaeffer, and that's on both films. So that's pretty cool. I like this idea that they're doing some pre code sets, probably the only way that we would get some of these released. A lot of times they're not even like a full hour long, and to be able to get this released like this, you sort of got to do something to cut some cost and so I get that. I'm glad that they're doing an audio commentary on both sets, but yeah, this is pretty cool and eventually I will probably pick this up. Pre code stuff give us more. Next, Shameless over in the UK is putting out What Have They Done to Your Daughters? From nineteen seventy four. This is coming on July seventh. There are at least one new feature I believe, yes, I don't think everything else is new, but this says the unused hardcore footage from Enigma editor Siciliano reveals all and they really hype it up here, he says. This edition also includes a frank interview with the film editor Antonio Siciliano, Dalamano's longtime friend and collaborator who crafted the final cut of Daughters. He finally addresses the long standing rumors about the film's unused additional material, which that alone entices me. I don't think that was on the Arrow release, which is sort of compelling, and honestly, kudos to Shameless. This is the first time I've seen the Shameless announcement and gone, wow, I kind of want that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have the arrow of the Yeah, this is a great Giallo. Yeah, I'm a really big fan of this and sort of the pseudo sequel what have they done to Solange yep, which it actually makes me curious if they're going to be doing that one next.
Speaker 2: That would be possible. I believe both have gone out of print from ARO a long time ago. Those were pretty early releases, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're both definitely worth worth seeing for sure.
Speaker 2: Then we got some Radiance announcements. These are all coming in September. We'll talk about the dates and where they're coming out from the first one is a UK specific title. This is coming on September fifteenth on four K or Blu Ray. This got a severin restoration. Was just released in the States by Severn and that is In My Skin from two thousand and two. This is one of the first new French extremity movement titles that everybody associates with it. However, this has all kinds of new bonus features. We had a lot of new interviews, two short student films that are not on I think the shorts are on the student are on the Severn release, but a lot of the interviews are not. This has newly improved English subs. There is of course a limited booklet with new writing in their Radiance just putting out beautiful looking sets. And I know for a lot of people that may have just recently got The Severn, this has got to be frustrating because this is probably quite appealing.
Speaker 3: Yeah I got Yeah, I got the Severn and I haven't watched it yet, but maybe i'll do that soon and if I love it, maybe I'll consider getting this one as well. But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's obviously that's the big question with a lot of these titles. You don't necessarily need to double dip, but wanting to double dip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gotta be so hard when you see that they've put so much work into adding you know, the new special features, like it's hard to sometime times.
Speaker 2: And like Corin said, the the the artwork alone on Radiance stuff is like damn, you could frame every single cover that they've done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is gorgeous. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That being said, the seven split case slip cover thing they did pretty nice too. Next up, this is UK only, so not us from Radiance September fifteenth, World Noir Volume four box set. This is going to include in it. We've got Henry. That's probably the wrong way to say that. It's probably Henri de Quo, something like that Chanoff from nineteen fifty five. Definitely not French. I apologize Edward Molinaro's Back against the Wall from nineteen fifty eight and Marcel blue Wall's Paris pick Up from nineteen sixty two. This has two K restorations on each film. We've got new artwork, newly improved English subs limited eighty page perfect bound book with a bunch of writing in it. Commentaries on these are archival. We got an archival interview on the first title as well, new visual essay, new commentaries, one from Daniel Kramer, one from Tim Lucas. Not necessarily stuffed to the gills, but getting three of these titles together, I know, is the way that they're making it worth it for a lot of people. Again, the box looks gorgeous. So if you like art and that is something that you make choices with, you got kind of adore, uh, you got to kind of adore radiance because it's all great. Have you been get I think You've gotten quite a bit from Radiance.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I've gotten, but I didn't. I didn't start collecting these World Norths. That's like I'm too busy collecting the Quino Nors. That's even though these are probably better, these are probably.
Speaker 2: I could never admit that.
Speaker 3: Probably actual noir titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it, and these, I mean, Qino will give you three titles for twenty five bucks. This will end up being like forty five. I get it, I.
Speaker 3: Get it, but it definitely Yeah, it looks good. Maybe one day I'll lurge and get them.
Speaker 2: All after their out of print and costs three times as much. Next up September fifteenth in the UK and September sixteenth in North America. The next Radiance title is A Blue Way, Blue Way, Blu Ray of Los Gulfos from nineteen sixty two. This is a group of poor youths tear around Madrid pulling scams and petty crimes. As one of their gang prepares to perform in a serious bullfighting competition, they plan a heist that will raise the money to finances entry, breaking with tradition by filming in the streets and utilizing documentary techniques to give the film an urgent resonance. Carlos Sora and producer Perry Portobella were announced as a powerful new force in Spanish cinema when the film was nominated for the Palm Door at the can Festival. And this is restored in four K. You've got all kinds of stuff on this disc. There is a really really crazy amount here. We got an intro by the author and former director of Filmoteca Catalunya Esteve Riambo from twenty twenty five, a bunch of new interviews scenes affected by censorship and presented alongside notes from the censorship committee. That alone is such a really interesting thing. Two early short films by Sora as well, reversible sleeve as usual, and then a booklet with writing, this to me seems like one that I'm probably gonna have to pick up. I don't have a lot from Spain, and this is just a really great sounding, interesting piece of filmmaking. I don't know. I also say that this looks like a must for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the sort of thing I had never heard of before this announcement.
Speaker 2: But just y, I feel like I've heard of maybe ten percent of radiance and stuff before They announced it. Yeah. Next is The Betrayal from nineteen sixty six, also from Radiance, also September fifteenth in the UK and September sixteenth in North America. This one is another one of their Asian titles. Again, beautiful looking cover art as usual, select scene audio commentary by Tom Mess which is interesting to get a select scene commentary. I'm very curious why on that, because Tom Mess usually has a lot to talk about. We got a visual essay by Philip Kemp on this. We got a visual essay by Tom Mess on the director Tokuzo Tanaka, and then a booklet with new writing by Elaine Silver, limited to three thousand copies over in the UK. Next up, Third Window Films, also from the UK, putting out another one of their box sets. They haven't done one of these in quite a while. This is coming on July twenty eighth on Blu Ray and I am going to absolutely butcher this name, so I apologize in advance. I'm gonna say it's Zoltan Husharik something like that that is probably very incorrect, but it's called Sinbad Constavari. And then five short films, so this is gonna be a three Blu ray box set. You've got the feature film from nineteen seventy one, another feature film from seventy nine, and then five short films to make it a complete full box set. On top of that, you've got new four K restorations of the features, and then some four K scans of some of the shorts, an HD transfer on one of them, and then some appreciations one that I am incredibly interested in seeing. Peter Strickland speaks on the vision of these and if you've never watched Peter Strickland film, please do. One of the best modern filmmakers. Lots of other stuff that's coming on here. Third sorry not Third Window. They're another great company, Second Run DVD over in the UK. This is region free they always are, but they put so much love into their work and they don't get a lot of attention worldwide. Check it out. It is really really interesting to see stuff like this happening. Yeah, Second Run check them out please. This one is super cool. August twelfth, in the US, Rarero is releasing the medium from nineteen eighty as usual, going through Keena Lober Distribution. This is an insidiously creepy supernatural horror film from the director Silvio a Madio. Following the death of his wife, an American music composer moves to an old mansion in Rome with his young son. They are soon haunted by a series of inexplicable events, causing them to hire a medium to divine the true nature of their seemingly cursed existence. We got an audio commentary by the host of the Wild Wild podcast Adrian Smith and Rod Barnett and RaRo does some great stuff when they finally come out. Yeah, I mean the cover alone makes me excited about this. The story sounds great. Very intrigued by this. Oh, look at this. Tyler's helping me out. I think SZ makes a Z sound like a lizard. Z S makes a z H sound like the ge and garage. So, in other words, I was very wrong. The Little Things from twenty twenty one is getting a four K release from Warner Brothers. This is a mod four K release that should not scare You just want people to know that they are able to do this. So this is made onto and it's not burned. It's still a press disc. They just make it literally as it's ordered essentially, which is crazy. But this is a Denzel Washington, Remi Melick, and nobody else starring in this movie. Did you see The Little Things when it came back?
Speaker 3: I did. I. Yeah. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I was really excited with this announcement. I thought this was a great movie. Wow.
Speaker 2: The only other thing I've ever heard people say about it is this movie was truly boring.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean I was riveted by it. I mean, but maybe maybe I'm on a different wavelength than there, but I thought it was it was it reminded me of I mean, it's fictional, so obviously you know it's it's but it reminded me. You know, it's about a serial killer, true crime investigation. It reminded me a lot of Zodiac in a way. Not but again, it is fictional. It's not you know, basically story. And I wouldn't say obviously it's as good as Zodiac is, but I but I did really enjoy it. And the thing that I most remember about it that really sticks with me, the opening scene is genuinely terrifying. It's set in nineteen ninety and there's like a teenage girl who's driving down you know, this desolate desert highway, and at night and she starts to get followed by somebody and she it basically turns into a sort of cat and mouse game between the two of them, and they use the B fifty two's song Roam, and they use it. You know, it's such an upbeat song, but they use it in a way that just is really chilling. And yeah, it was just I just thought it was so well done. So that's what really sticks with me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I will want to see anything with Denzel Washington just period. He's you know, literally one of the best actors of all time. For some reason, when this came out, I had not even heard of it, So I'm curious to see this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. Yeah, it was definitely one of those that sort of got lost in the shuffle during COVID because, yeah, it came out in twenty twenty one, I.
Speaker 2: Believe nice All right, after the Little Things, We've got some details on Final Destination Bloodlines. This is coming in July twenty second on four K. It's got a standard four K release, a steel Book four K release, and then a Blu ray release and a DVD release. Thanks Warner Brothers for putting out on DVD. Still this title is going to have Dolby vision HDR. We've got Dolby at most. We got an audio commentary from the director, which is pretty cool. Death Becomes Them on the set of Final Destination Bloodlines, catching up with the new cast and the dynamic directing duo to hear about their experiences on set and what they managed to sneak in for the fans. The many deaths of Bloodlines, from the collapse of the Skyview Restaurants to the worst MRI. There's behind the scenes about all of the deaths in the movie. But the really cool thing is they got a special little legacy featurette on Tony Todd reflecting on his decades spanning legacy of his character here, and he re examines Bloodworth's impact on the franchise now that everything has been revealed. Oh wow, Yeah, pretty damn cool. And to get the last special feature with Tony Todd, I feel like I kind of have to have to get this. Plus it was a great movie. I'm very stoked on this.
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, I really liked this one. Yeah, I think it was. I think it might be my second favorite. Honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's up there for me. It's it's either favorite or second favorite at this point, probably but if you haven't got enough of Final Destination on the same day they are releasing. Of course, like they always do a sixth film collection, each of the movies will have special features, which is rather cool. This will likely not have the three D discs. This will probably be the exact same as the last Blu Ray collection that they did with the addition of the sixth film. Of course, that being said, this has been the funniest h oh it was Jason's favorite, too nice. This has been the probably second favorite part of my week this week is arguing with people who think that Warner Brothers will be releasing a full franchise Final Destination four K release in just a few months after everybody buys this. They won't. There's there's no way that they release a full franchise four K set of this. A couple of these were not filmed in a way that will work on four K, and nobody is going back to like the Final Destination and getting all of this the really awful CGI and putting that in a way that will look at on four K. It's just not gonna happen. I could see them doing maybe up to the first three on four K, considering that those three were shot on film, but that's if even that, I probably only really see them doing the first one on four K, probably nothing else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you've just broken my heart because I was gonna because I was gonna be one of those people in chime In. I was like, I was gonna say I saved my one complaint about four K for this because I was just like, I want a four K set of all of them.
Speaker 2: I mean, believe me, I wouldn't mind having them either. I love the movies genuinely, a really fun franchise. I don't think they're great movies, but it is something that, yeah, you just can't put certain things on four K and make it make sense.
Speaker 3: I still, I still wouldn't say, you know, never say never. Like I I feel like there's still a possibility that down the road at some point there could be.
Speaker 2: But I think they would have to put out like fifteen hundred other titles before they even literally like fifteen hundred other two.
Speaker 3: You don't think that they well I know it's Warner Brothers, but you don't think that they would ever like, you know, like a boutique label taken over or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they if they started being more open to that, sure, but like Final Destination still is something that is active. And yes, with how much money they just made, there's likely going to be another sequel in the next three years at this point because they're they're still printing checks for the next six months. I would have loved somebody like this would have made a really great screen factory. Probably Blu Ray box set, maybe like four K of the first three, then a Blu Ray of the second, the four and five. But this is something that's.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would even take like just new transfers even if it wasn't a Blu Ray, Like, yeah, but this is probably just the old you know versions from you know when when they first came to Blu Ray in like two thousand and ten or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree there, Yeah, it would be all about that.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I said we were going to talk about Found Footage. I got really cool opportunity to be on the show called CinemaScope, which is over on True Story FM and Next Reel it's a part of another podcast network, And we talked about the history of Found footage, went all deep into like obviously Campbell Holocaust. You gotta spend a lot of time on that. How found footage evolved over the last however many years, the impact of some of these in like pop culture overall and how it affected filmmaking and the primal fears that found footage is able to grab onto check it out, go look up CinemaScope. Andy does some really great work and it's a super fun episode.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, Karen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just yeah, I love your light.
Speaker 3: Well I actually listen to that today at work.
Speaker 2: Amazing, what do you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I subscribed to it instantly after I listened to it because they did it was a great episode. Yeah, yeah, and it was a fascinating conversation about found footage. So yeah, I would. I would, yeah, definitely chime in and recommend that for anybody who's interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good and over on like his membership thing there, there's even a bonus episode that comes with it. But if you remember my Patreon, you're getting that bonus episode as part of that tomorrow you'll be getting that emails, so check out that when it comes through. It is it is a really really fun show. Specifically, actually recommend the episode on blaxploitation. Really great discussion on that. Now we don't have a release date for it, but soon we are getting this four KU book of Clown in a Cornfield that just came out earlier this year. This one is coming from Shutter and R. Lj. E. You get a commentary with the director, you like, Craig the author of the book that this is based on Adam Caesar, and then a couple of the actors, justin what'd you think of Cloud in the Cornfield?
Speaker 3: I was a big fan of it nice and yeah, I had read the novel prior to it, and I thought it was a really it was. It was a fairly faithful adaptation of it, and I was really pleased with what they did with it. And and yeah, the things that were maybe a little bit more obvious as far as sort of like the politics within the novel, they sort of did it in a way where it wasn't so broad for film. So I thought it it worked really well. I thought it was a smart, smart adaptation of it. And yeah, I love that they're doing a four K of this, And yeah, I don't collect a lot of steel books, but this one is good enough that I think I might have to have it.
Speaker 2: I hope that they also do a standard. I know a lot of people hate steel books, and people should have the option definitely. Yeah, all right, not many left. Next. Arrow today delayed The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly four K. They say, due to some extended production delays, we've made the decision to delay our upcoming UK release. It will now be released on August eleventh, and they just want it to be done right, which I'd much rather Arrow delay it rather than put out a replacement program and not send anybody discs. So yeah, check out that, I will say. I believe Jesse from Diabolic has been pointing out that the first two are the very first in the trilogy, is officially like fully out of print already, and the second one is about to be. So if you were wanting to go after these and you find them, check it out. That is something that you might want to get sooner or later. Craig say is happy to wait. But haven't they delayed each one now? No, only only two out of three were delayed.
Speaker 3: And I will say, if anybody is in the same boat as me, I asked Jesse about this because I had pre ordered all three of them together because I just figured I'm not going to watch one without the other two and I can get shipping with it. So I just wanted to make sure that you know, because they said that they were out of print with the first one or two of them, that you know if you ordered them all together, that we're still going to get them, and he, of course you can confirm that that we will.
Speaker 2: So yep, they're sitting there taking up space in his warehouse as we speak. Indicator had a couple announcements today September twenty second. Over in the UK. They're putting out a four K and a Blu Ray limited edition of Death Carries a Cane from nineteen seventy three, rather stylish Giallo that a lot of people love. I don't think I've seen this one, but this got a brand new four K HDR restoration by Indicator themselves. You got two different versions of the film, the Italian language and the English language version. You had audio commentary that was released last year with Eugenie Rikalani, Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson. There is a bunch of archival extras on here and then Eugenie Orcalani talks about Rizzio Prado from twenty twenty five brand new interview with him, right, says damn me, No, I have to buy a few dollars more tonight.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, I was just about to say the same thing. This is in the Forgotten Gale Volume six set, and I recently, like earlier in the year, I went because I hadn't hadn't I had collected them, but hadn't watched any of them. So I went through and watched all of the box sets, and this one, this one is actually one of the better ones. I thought. The Killer uses a cane, you know, obviously from the title, but it's sort of funny because it's who done it and there's so many people limping through the movie.
Speaker 2: That's pretty great. Yeah, it'd be really funny if the Killer didn't carry a king that was the title. Yeah, I don't know. This is one of those like it just got to release recently. Were people like desperate to get this on four K in a standalone limited release? Maybe? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I yeah, I really, I mean I really like the Powerhouse four k's or the Indicator. Yeah, the four k's that they're doing. Agreed, It's like, yeah, I just I just can't do this. I've got another.
Speaker 2: Set to be paired with it. They've got the nineteen seventy four film The Perfume of the Lady in Black, also coming out of September twenty second, also in four K and also on Blu ray. This is the Mimsy Farmer starring nineteen seventy four film, brand new four K HDR restoration. They've got two versions, of course, They've got the Italian language and the English language version. Brand new commentary with Eugenio and Troy, a new interview with the director, some archival extras on here, and then lovely John talking about the score of this one. There's a brand new locations featurette that I believe Eugenio did that's probably really great. And Yeah, this is one that is a little more interesting to me. I think I saw this one a handfully years ago, but don't remember a lot about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one, this one I am picking up.
Speaker 2: Lovely color too, not color cover, that's the word. I really like the way they made that look for sure. Then some Keino stuff. This is what got a lot of people excited near the end of the day. This first one is Huckleberry Finn from nineteen thirty one coming on Blu Ray on August nineteenth. I got a new audio commentary with Julie Krugo and Peter Hancoff. Know nothing about this, probably not my style of a style of film, really, but man, some of these other ones go pretty hard. Next one that I just skipped. Of course, we're gonna talk about this one in a second. Don't get too excited. August nineteenth, four K release of what many people hail as a masterpiece and many others hale as the worst movie ever made, nineteen eighties zandad starring Olivia Newton, John and Gene Kelly. Keino. In setting this release up, commissioned four brand new audio commentaries, the first one with the director Robert Greenwald, moderated by Douglas Hoggsdale, the second one by Jennifer Clymer and Nathaniel Thompson, the third one by David del Val and Christoph Charles, and the fourth and final one with Sam Degan. On top of that, if you go look at the Blu Ray disc, they've also got some archival stuff, including seventeen radio spots about ZANDADU seventeen radio spots there's a two thousand and nine documentary that's almost half an hour long with the cast and crew. There's a making up from nineteen eighty that's brand newly remastered in a two K. There's so much in this release. Tell me about Xanadu, Dustin, is this one that you've seen in are a fan.
Speaker 3: Of I am? I mean it's very very cheesy, yes, but very very fun and I'm totally gonna get this. I mean those four commentaries alone, we didn't share that. I am gonna get this. Yeah, I'm curious what the four K transfer will look like because it's a very It's one of those movies from the seventies that has a very sort of like hazy gauzy look to it any way, sort of like Carrie. But Carrie look beautiful in four K, so hopefully this will too.
Speaker 2: Man, this is crazy. They were getting zandad not only in four K, but four new commentaries. That's a big deal. Pretty cool I have I admittedly have not seen Xana do since I was too young to appreciate it, guaranteed, but very curious to see this again. I don't know about blind buying a four K, but we'll see Corien, have a good night. I hope you're well. All those Elo songs probably needed a promo, but says Terry Golden, says, grew up in a house of women that love Xanda do so excited for this. Yeah, this has made a lot of people happy. I agree, Ronnie.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I mean the soundtrack is the reason to get it, Like, it's so many good songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a big deal, big big deal. Then the next one that made a lot of people excited, Repossessed, is coming on August nineteenth. This is the Linda Blair ned baby Leslie Nilsen film. This gets a trailer as special feature and a new audio commentary by the director Bob Logan. But this is the second film in a row that many people call the worst movie ever made. Repossessed. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, this is definitely a movie from my childhood. It's yeah, I'm curious to watch it now because it's been so long since I've seen it, But I watched it enough back then that like I still like regularly quote it. Yeah. But what's funny is Keno takes so long to release their their stuff that I swear this was originally announced on my last appearance on this show back in September.
Speaker 2: That's a yeah. It was a long time ago that we first talked about repossessed and not to mention this has been Oh gosh. I think this had a German Blu Ray release on media book that has more bonus features, and then I think that somebody else had teased that they had got this, and then that was canceled and Keno ended up getting it. This has been a long time coming and so many people wanting this. The only thing I will say that really makes me kind of turned off by this, not yes, it sucks that there's only an audio commentary, but this is this is a really old dated HD transfer. This is not getting like a new two K Master, new four K anything. This thing is an old HD Master and I fear this is not going to look great on Blu Ray no matter what, and a lot of people are gonna be disappointed. That being said, it's on Blu Ray, A lot of people will be happy pretty much no matter what.
Speaker 3: And Patrick is right, I do sing your theme song based on this.
Speaker 2: Based on this interesting uh, very funny. I also love this comment. Ryan says, no way I'm buying Xanadu outside of a st Next is The Farmer's Daughter with Martha Ray. Not many Martha Ray titles has been released on Blue Ray, so this is good to see. This is from nineteen forty coming on August twelfth on Blu Ray. We get an audio commentary by far and Smith name Yeah, I don't know much about the movie, but pretty damn cool off Keino and then via Vision. Closing up our week with a couple of announcements. First up, we've got a four K release of Point Break from nineteen ninety one coming to Australia on August twenty seventh. Yes, this has been released on four K in the US by Shout Factory. It also got released i think in Germany or the UK by another company, two very different scans. But the big thing is this has a load of new special features and if you love a point Break, and who doesn't, because it's a masterpiece. This has a new audio commentary by Patrick Bromley, who's great at what he does. This also has a new interview with John c McGinley, new interview with Lori Petty, new interview with the Surfer Gang, and then a whole bunch of archival featurettes. This is a much more loaded release than the Shout Factory release. On top of that, if you are an audiophile, this is the first time I think since the original release that this is including the original four point oh surround sound, which is not a common way to release films. Four point zero stuff usually doesn't get poured it over to physical media, and so this is a pretty big selling point for a lot point Break is genuinely a masterpiece. How do you feel about this?
Speaker 3: Well, it's so fun. I mean, it's a quintessential nineties movie. It's just and I mean, yeah, you've got Katherine Bigelow, You've got Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, you've got bank Robberies.
Speaker 2: And prime Gary Busey, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what's not to like about?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agree, I agree. And then finally four K release on the same day, August twenty seventh of rain Man from nineteen eighty eight. I failed to mention the last one that will be in a four K lenticular hard box release like they do over at Via Vision. Same with this one. This one has three audio commentaries on the disc. None of them are new. I believe they were all on the other releases, like the four K release that came out in the States. You got some archival featurettes on the Blu ray, but I got a booklet with this and everything. Good movie, not the best movie, a lot of representation.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, a little bit outdated, but in some of its portrayals of autism.
Speaker 2: On that note, that is the last of the week, so let's discuss what's coming out next week in case you forgot first, we got the Looney Tunes Collector's Vault Volume one from Warner Archive, Sabrina four K from Keno Lber, the two Jurassic Park Trilogy four K steel books coming out, Deep Star six to four K from Keno, Midnight from Criterion, the All of Me Vestron release that is stuck at the lions Gate Limited site. I believe that is already shipping to some people. The new fiftieth anniversary Jaws steel book with that documentary attached, just coming out. Murder she wrote the complete series on Blu Ray. Finally, all sixty two discs of it is coming out next week. Way of the Gun four K, also a lions Gate Limited title. Different Man from a twenty four Imadman a Law in Order from Keno, Lber Thelonious Monks, Straight No Chaser from Criterion, Sands of the Kalaharia, one of the best cover arts ever. It's coming from Keno, the rad release from Mill Creek that will also have that brand new documentary attached to it, The Assessment from last year, which I've not seen but I've heard pretty good things about. One of my most anticipated from next week, The Annihilation of Fish. Will definitely be getting that from Milestone, eventually a couple from Eureka Hong Kong nineteen forty one, and then Exact Revenge with the Unich and the Deadly Knives, Promise for Anything in Rock, Pretty Baby from Keno, Jerry Cooper for film collection from Orner Archive, and that is it for next week. How many of these you already got are got on the way there? Does him?
Speaker 3: Well? Yeah, I'm yeah. I'm definitely getting Sabrina the four K. That's gonna look beautiful. And even though I just got done saying you know, I don't collect steel books, like both of those Jurassic Park steel books looks so good to me that yeah, against my better judgment because I already have them on I really don't need it, but I just don't know how to pass them up. And yeah, all of me is has already shipped for me. So that's one I've always wanted to see and I've never seen it, so I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not been many chances to see it, so it's nice to see it getting some love.
Speaker 3: And yeah, Different Man is excellent.
Speaker 2: So I loved that movie. Yeah, Gary is asking Murder, she wrote, has sixty two discs, Yes, sixty two Blu Ray discs. In Murder, she wrote, and uh, genuinely can't wait to have it. I will watch every single moment.
Speaker 3: I rarely so I rarely buy, you know, standard def DVDs of anything these days. And last year I thought the Murder she wrote, complete series on DVD, because I was like, that's never gonna get a Blu Ray roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be fair, most people have said Murder, she wrote, will never ever get a Blu Ray release. And here we are, sixty two discs later.
Speaker 3: And I'm kicking myself because I'll know.
Speaker 2: And honestly, like I, I get upset with pricing a lot on a lot of things. Murder, she wrote, retail I think was one fifty and some places like Orbit had it for like one thirty for sixty two discs. That's not that bad.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's I mean, yeah, that's good. That's a good price.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, So that's it for next week. Stoked on that. Yeah, Jaden's pointing out we're getting a Larry Coen set announced by Shout Factory tomorrow. Very curious to see what's gonna be on that. We got Imprint stuff getting announced tonight, Criterion stuff coming up in just a couple of days. It's going to be a busy week. It usually is, but it seems pretty damn exciting for sure. I a lot happening. That is the biggest thing I'll say is there is so much happening in physical media. It's hard to keep up with. Glad everybody's here to hang out and discuss it every week, though, Dustin, let's discuss some sequels. How do you feel about sequels overall?
Speaker 3: Well? Yeah, so yeah. When I was trying to come up with a topic for us this week, yeah, specifically, I was thinking underappreciated sequels, and what I found as I was going through it was, I feel like I'm I feel like I'm a champion though, of sequels, because I feel like there's a lot that people don't appreciate about them, and those are often the ones that I like the most. Yeah, because as I was going through it, I was like, well, I like that, I like that, and yeah, I feel like they're more Yeah, I feel like they tend to be more divisive, because you know, most of the time, if a movie is getting a sequel, it's because the first one was obviously successful and people liked it generally, and then when you get into the sequel, I think, Yeah, like I said, they tend to split opinions more. And then yeah, there's certain ones that, yeah, people either hate or as time passes, I feel like the tide sort of turns on the opinion of them. And then I think there's some tonight that we'll be talking about that I feel like are maybe thought of a little bit more poper positively to day than they used to be. But then there's others that I feel like will be thought of more positively, you know, a few decades from now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I'm very mixed on these. I think that sequels obviously work with cult titles specifically really well. A lot of drama stuff generally is kind of odd to get a sequel, but sometimes when they do, they can be masterpieces, and that's a different thing. Like I don't know about you, I hope I'm not spoiling something that you're going to talk about, because the whole thing is very much highly lauded. But like the Before Trilogy, it's one that a lot of people probably would not have expected to get what it got, specifically the overtime sort of release style, but all all of the films are masterpieces in their own right and done very well. But you don't see that a lot like Horror Franchise. Sure, that's something that we can expect to see, but I love seeing stuff like the Before Trilogy that just out of nowhere and surprises you. Yeah, I'm really excited to talk about this tonight and specifically underappreciated things. This is one of those things where, first off, there will likely be some controversy at some point because both of us, I guarantee you have a title that most people think is bad, just specifically bad that we both really love. But in all reality, so much of this is just I really like championing things that don't get enough attention, and I again like, I don't mind you heard me earlier tonight. I don't mind saying something is bad, but it's so much more fun to talk about something that you're passionate about. And all of my five specifically that we're going to discuss, I feel like I talk about for hours because I love them so goddamn much. So I'm very excited for this, very curious to see what you're picking, because Dustin is huge into horror. For everybody that doesn't know, we obviously talked about how we wrote the book The Fright File, but the fact that we're just doing all genres, you could have picked anything under the sun, and I'm so curious, So let's just let's do it. What is the first one that you're gonna bring up tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say, yeah, I'll say that. So I've got five that we're mainly gonna talk about, and then you know, some honorable mentions. But out of the five, three are definitely horror, and then the one is like adjacent but I really wouldn't consider it horror, and then the other one's definitely not.
Speaker 2: That is kind of exactly my share too. I've got three that are basically horror, one that is sort of at least very cult, and then one that is clearly not horror.
Speaker 3: And I also feel like, yeah, when you say something's underappreciated, I feel like that's subjective as well. So and so I feel, yeah, yeah, I think things will be controversial, especially like if people really hate something that I like.
Speaker 2: But oh yeah, yeah, I know that people hate at least two and maybe three of mine. So very stoked to get into this.
Speaker 3: All right, So you want me to go first? So the first that I have is the horror adjacent one. Oh and I'm doing them in order of release because I couldn't like really rank them in any way. So this one is from nineteen eighty one, and yeah, I absolutely love this movie. I think it's actually better than the original, and I love the original, but I don't think there's that many people who think this is superior. But I'll stand by it all day. And it is shock Treatment.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I knew that you were going to talk about this one tonight. I'm glad this is cool.
Speaker 3: So yeah, if you don't know, this is a a A I would say it's a loose sequel to Rocky Hart Picture Show It follows the characters that were originally played by Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick, and when it came time to make the sequel to it, Tim Curry didn't have any interest in coming back for his character. And uh, yeah, Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon, really, I think they were too popular by that point. They were asking for too much money, so they recast them with Cliff de Young and Jessica Harper from Suspiria. Yeah, and I think I think this is one of is probably my favorite performance from her. Oh yeah. But I just think the the music in this movie. Like, so, I rewatched it about a week ago and I haven't stopped singing the songs since I saw it. Now. Granted I knew the songs before because I've seen this movie a lot, but like, I can't get them out of my head, and I don't really want to. They're just so good. And I feel like because they haven't been they're not as well known as the Rocky Heart Picture Show songs, but I think that that adds a freshness to it. But they were done by the music and lyrics were done by Richard O'Brien who did the music for Rocky Horror. And I just find the whole film just so fascinating. It's so ahead of its time in a way. It's all so the entire film is set in this Middle America small town called Denton, USA, but the whole thing takes place in a TV studio, which is like a microcosm for the town. And it's just so fascinating. And yeah, the Brad and Janet characters show up there in the audience and then they get swept into well, just a lot of craziness, but it's thoroughly unpredictable. It's original, Like you never people watching the Rocky Heart Picture show like if they thought of what a sequel would be, it would not be this at all. But a lot of the a lot of the other actors from the film from the original film do come back playing different characters, and I think one actually it does play the same character. But yeah, I just I just unequivocally love this movie. I think it's beautifully shot. There it opens with this extended one take one shot of like the studio where it's introducing all of the characters, and it's it's just so inventive and just yeah, it's it's and then from there it just it just goes. So I just yeah, I really love this one.
Speaker 2: I am. I'm very sad that there's no US release of this for people to be able to see it. The Arrow release has been very out of print for quite some time now. Yeah, this is this is a really great choice.
Speaker 3: And I will say this was like getting this down from my shelf again. It just like broke my heart all over again because this was awful. Like the packaging of this is terrible. It's so flimsy and like I've got and this actually it was like this when it came. But there's like a crease down the side.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, it's.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, it needs a better release, even though I'm happy that we have this at least, and I didn't realize that it was out of print, but yeah, I mean, you would have thought that they would have at least done a reissue with better packaging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funny enough, my first one has a little something in common. It's a bit of a musical kind of This is one that is probably gonna make a lot of people laugh. And actually sore of got a reference early in the show which a few of the things that we're going to be discussing tonight. Sorta did that. I'm stoked to talk on this one is a film that came out all the way back in nineteen and ninety one. This is a sequel that was put out associated with Spielberg as part of Amblemation. This is, of course an American Tale. Fivele Goes West. Now, I know that seems silly, but good lord, is this movie amazing. We talked about Don Bluth earlier. Don Bluth was a master animator that did something incredibly special for years and years, and he's not even associated with the second film at all. And yet as much as an American Tale is great, which it basically tells the story of what we find out is essentially like a Jewish immigrant family coming to the US, told with mice for some reason, and it's a beautiful, poignant, harrowing tale that is animated beautifully. It's a just master work from Don Bluth. This second movie just takes it and dials up the charm and still gives some of that like craziness, the the poignancy is still there, the the ability to like dive into these characters. You still get the entire Mousekowitz Family Fible is incredible. I truly love everything about this movie. The music is great, the animation is like genuinely very cute in every single thing that they do. I mean, the characters in this movie, the the the cats that you see, the hound dog, the everything is just I don't know, it's something that is so specifically this very don blue style and it's it's just beautif. I know a lot of people really liked the first one, but for some reason it wasn't as popular because it wasn't done Bluth. But Five Goes West or an American Tale, fivel Goes West. This movie is great and everybody should watch it. Just devastating storylines in both movies. Love this movie. Uh yeah, Five Goes West nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 3: I gotta watch this, Okay, So I have never seen it, and I love the original American Tale. Like the original that was one of my favorite films growing up as a kid. Like I just loved it so much. And when the sequel came out, I feel like I rented it and I started watching it, and because I was so used to the first one, I was like, this isn't that I think I threw me off because it's more of like a western right, very much so, and so I think it threw me off, and then like I just turned it off. Of course I was like I was like ten, I was probably I was a dumb kid. So I feel like I would really appreciate it now. But the thing that I'm whenever I think about this movie, the thing that always comes to me is in middle school. I think I was in seventh grade in choir and we sang as in our program Dreams to Dream, and so I remember that song but not the movie.
Speaker 2: Please please seek it out. I think you will like it, especially knowing what you said about Don Bluth earlier.
Speaker 3: It is I had no idea that it had like a like a serious story, like I don't know. I just always thought the first one is about immigrants and this and that. Right the second one, I just thought it was, like I don't know, I had just assumed it was like just a sillier sequel.
Speaker 2: It is sillier than the first one, but I like it's slightly more disney Fied in a way, which kind I can see that being a bad thing, but mixing that with Don Bluth characters and that heart is kind of like the perfect balance of exactly what it needed, right, Gallan was not expecting some hardcore fival talks.
Speaker 3: And I love Is it a musical like the original?
Speaker 2: Uh yes, probably somewhere around the same number of songs. It's got it like, it's got at least three, like really memorable musical points.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, yeah, yeah, I'll definitely check it out now.
Speaker 2: Nice, can't wait to see what you do? What you say?
Speaker 3: All right? The second one is for me. It's the non horror one, although people who don't like it might think of it as being horrific, but please bear with me. I love this movie so much, and once again, I think it's better than the original, and there is there is a very passionate cult for this movie, so I can't be alone. So nineteen eighty two, it's another musical and it is grease.
Speaker 2: I was about to say it, Oh man, Greece too.
Speaker 3: Well, have you seen have you seen Greece too?
Speaker 2: I grew up in a Greece worshiping home. My sister was addicted to Greece for like two years. I think during that time I watched it once or twice. I remember dismissing it. I don't remember a whole lot about the movie. I was a pos I agree I should watch it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. Yeah, I've always again. I think because the music from the original is so saturated in the public consciousness and the songs from the second one aren't. But I think they're just as memorable. Now you have to watch the movie and you know you're not gonna you're not gonna know too many of them, just like from living your life, right, Like when you watch it, like they'll be stuck in your head. They're great earworms. I feel like, so we've got and also so it's set two years after the original, and it's the basic gist of it is that Sandy, her cousin, comes from Australia and goes to the school that she had graduated from. And I feel and he's played by Maxwell Callfield, who I just feel like he has so much charisma. I'm kind of surprised that he didn't go on to do a whole lot of stuff, Like, I mean, he he's had an okay career. But I thought that, oh.
Speaker 2: Nice beautiful movie with Maxwell Caulfield.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I feel like he should have blown up. I just thought that, Yeah, he's so good. And then Michelle Pfeiffer is in I think this is her first role, if not her first, or it was her second role. I think Hollywood Knights might have been her first role. But she's fantastic, and that she has a song, cool writer that's so good. There's another song that's set in a science class called reproduction and it's about exactly what you think it is, and it's just ridiculous and so fun and the romance I feel at the core of it. I think it works better than the original Grease because in the original Sandy at the end of the movie she changes everything about herself to get John Travolta's character, and she and Michelle Fifer's character Stephanie is not going to change anything for anyone. So I think that it actually has a more positive message than Greece does, which is the one thing that's always like, really not sat well with me with Grease is just the overall you've got to change yourself to get the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fun pick, but no I love it Grease too.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people are gonna say it's not better than Greece, but Greece doesn't hold up super great in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of problems with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still good. Still you know, a very specific, canonical great film for a lot of people. Not taking that away, but no.
Speaker 3: And I will say the director of it was Patricia Birch, and she was a really I think she was like a big like Tony nominated choreographer and you can really tell, like she does such a fantastic job with all of the dance sequences and the musical numbers and everything, and they're shot really well and edited well. So yeah, I think I think she really helped it out. I hate them both equally.
Speaker 2: Thanks. This next one, if you've watched the show for some time, this is not going to be a surprise, but I had to sort of theme this with my first pick, and so my second pick is going to be another one of my favorite westerns of all time. Yes, five Ol Goes West is absolutely incredible Western. This is not my pick, but Back to the Future three maybe one of my favorite. I mean, that's weird to say one of my favorite when there's three of them. Incredible Western. My pick it's so good and zz Top is great in it. My pick is actually from two thousand and four as a direct to video horror western, and that is Tremor's for the legend begins. I adore the Tremors franchise. I think that not only is the first movie like genuinely a possibly perfect movie, it's it's compelling, wonderfully acted, hilarious, a really great like intro to horror movie for kids. Michael Gross was a really to hang your hat on this franchise, and he absolutely kills it in this movie playing his elder ancestor Hiram. This movie is so interesting to take a horror franchise and say, fuck it, let's travel back one hundred years, let's drown a bunch of miners and blame it on some graboids and see how fun we can make it. Now. A lot of people hate this movie because they did not have a lot of money to make this. You can tell the shooting is not great. A couple of the set pieces really sort of haphazardly thrown together. But the charm of putting the City of Perfection or sorry, the City of Rejection into a Western setting that is going back in time and filling this like Old West Center around monsters that are crazy that we've already loved for three sequels. There's so much fun. Was such a great way to reinvigorate this for me. I know a lot of people hate this. This might be other than the first movie, my second favorite Tremor's film ever, which is saying a lot because I adore this whole franchise. I really hope Ero keeps doing special editions for all of them. Will get part three here soon.
Speaker 3: But I was about to ask, do you think they're gonna do the third one? It?
Speaker 2: None of the other ones will probably be four K because of how they were shot. The third one maybe I don't remember if that was shot on video or what. I don't think it was shot on video, but and it might have been a shot on film and then edited on tape. Not sure either way. Tremor's four, if you have stopped at the first one or the second one, because those are the two that Arrow put out, they are all worth watching. But specifically Tremor's four is such a unique idea for a horror movie, and I think it doesn't land for a lot of people. But also it looks kind of, I don't know, drabby compared to the first One's got and so a lot of people were disappointed in that, but a brilliant way to just be like, no, let's make it cool and weird and unique. And when you're looking back at all of the Tremors movies, this one stands out as super super unique. It is absolutely a weird way to do a prequel to Freaking Tremors in eighteen ninety, Like, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't seen past the second one, so yeah, I'm one of those people. I really need to catch up on those. And isn't there isn't there one? It might have been the last one that has like John Heater in it or something.
Speaker 2: Isn't two of them? And Jamie Kennedy is in one or two of them? Oh?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Maybe John Heater's only in one and Jamie Kennedy's in two. But once you get to five, six, and seven, the CGI that they have to use is awful. They go away from the practical stuff, but they're still like really really interesting. I think that they I don't know, there's something about the monsters and Tremors and how they evolve and like what we know about them that really keeps every single one fresh in a lot of interesting ways. I truly love every single one of the Tremors movies.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I definitely gotta check those out. Yeah. I love the first one and.
Speaker 2: It's perfect, genuinely perfect.
Speaker 3: So all right, well that was a great pick. Yeah, I'll check that one out too, so for my next one. All right, So now we're getting into the horror stuff. This one, I feel like, I feel like this is one that I was talking about where I feel like when it came out it was really thought of negatively, but I also feel like it had some other darker baggage that came with it. But then I think, yeah, I think opinion has started to turn. I think some people really like it now, but I absolutely love it, and it is Poltergeist three. I just feel like this one. So basically, I think it actually turned out well that Craig T. Nelson and Joe Beth Williams didn't want to come back for the third one, so they basically had to come up with a new storyline, and they basically made Carol Anne the lead character, who really I at the time like because I was closer to her in age, like that's who I was interested in anyway. Yeah, and then too then basically changed the setting completely to the city. It just gives it a really fresh feel to it. And then on top of all of that, like it's set in the John Hancock Center, so it's like this one hundred story skyscraper in Chicago. I mean, that is a fantastic location, and it's it's like and as they portray it in the film, I've never been there personally, but if it's realistic to how they show it in the movie, it's like there's like a shopping mall, and then there's office buildings and then there's a you know, apartments and all on top of each other, and it's it's basically almost like a little city inside a building, and and everything is like made of glass and mirrors, And of course that's that's the main thing with with Portergeist III, is that they've found their way to her through the mirrors. And are you laughing at that the mirror thing or something else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's a funny conceit, but like genuinely it's a it's a really interesting sequel because like the setting alone lends itself to some very creative shots in filmmaking.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Like there's there's effect shot in it and opticals that I still have no idea how they pulled them off, like just the mirror effects alone, Like I have no idea, and it's fascinating to watch just from a visual perspective. But yeah, when I first so it came out in nineteen eighty eight, and I probably saw it in eighty eight because I was watching movies like this back then. So let's say I was seven. Let's say I was six or seven years old when I saw it. I mean, I ate this movie up like iron, you know, at that age, I was always like pretending because I was a big movie fan even back then, and when I played, like I would pretend that I was in movies and stuff, and like I would reenact scenes from Poltergeist three with the mirrors and stuff and pulling her up on the mirror. Like I just loved it so much, Like it just spoke to me. And yeah, it has I mean a great cast like Tom Skarrett and Nancy Allen are both in it, and Laura Flinpoyle you pre Twin Peaks, and yeah, I think it's just so inventive, so original. And then on top of that, I think that it also called out to me at that age because I think when it came out, Heather Arouric had already who played Caroline, had already passed away, and so yeah, she died at age twelve, and knowing that, I think that was the first celebrity death that really impacted me at that young age. And so watching the movie knowing that that she had already passed away, like it gave it a different feel, like it just it fascinated me in a way. And so yeah, I was drawn to it for that too. And I know that, like it had to have reshoots done after she had died, and so the very last out of the movie you only see like the back of her character and because it was a body double obviously, Yeah, and so yeah, it was just yeah, so there was like different layers to it that that drew me to this movie. But all in all, I just think that, yeah, I just think it's fantastic. I also want to shout out to the scene where she's Carol Anne is in the parking garage and she steps in the puddle and hands come up from the puddle and pull her down, Like I just I'd oh, well done. That was another scene that I just absolutely loved great stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a solid pick. Poultrygeist to me kind of feels like Psycho actually as a franchise, where so many people have only ever seen the first one, and yet the whole thing is like a shockingly really good franchise if you take each one at its own thing. It's just hard when you're living up to literally a classic of horror cinema. And you know, with Psycho specifically, you have Perkins attached to pretty much everything, even directing one of them, and then with Poulterrygeist, you've got some of the actors carrying over from the first one, and then just this crazy change of scenery and weird like deviation for a lot of people. But it works. These are still good movies. It's just it's hard to live up to a Toby Hooper classic.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but I feel and I feel like that actually makes a good point because I think, Yeah, I think when people go see sequels, they say that they want something fresh, but then when a movie dares to do something different, I feel like they sort of turn away from it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I've got another movie coming up where a lot of people did not like it because of the big swings that it took with the plot. But that's why I liked it personally, because I admired it for that and I thought it was more exciting for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You hear that same argument in music a lot, Like a lot of people will get attached to a band and be like, oh, man, I want to hear them evolve on the next album, and they come out and they do something really weird. They're like, ooh, not like that, and people get pissed off and stop following a band because of that, which I totally get. But yeah, it with stuff like this, appreciate it. It can be good. And again, if it's not good, that first movie is still there, you're gonna be okay, I promise.
Speaker 3: And I mean it basically did what Evil did Rise did yes thirty years before?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yes for sure? Man, Yeah, perfect, perfect analogy there. Okay, So my next one, I believe, yes, uh definitely by far. This is my newest film on here. And this is going to feel like a bit of a cheat because this is still a highly lauded film. I'm not taking it away from that, but still I think this is underappreciated. I'm gonna make a case for that. So This is something that we alluded to again earlier in the show. Funny enough, we mentioned things that we're gonna sort of talk about tonight, like four different times. Twenty nineteen film from Mike Flanagan, Doctor Sleep is lauded. Is a great film. This is a sequel to The Shining and people are like, yeah, it's great. No, it's not great. Doctor Sleep is a masterpiece. This movie is not appreciated nearly enough for what they were able to pull off. I mean, Flannagan does the impossible and re shoots exact scenes from literally one of the most famous horror movies of all time, nails everything about it, the accuracy of the setting, the facial expressions of the actors, you know, trying to trying to mimic one of the most nitpicky directors of all time, and you pull it off as well as Mike Flanagan did. That is the impossible. And everything about the sequel that comes I don't even I probably should have looked up the exact number, but what like forty something years after the first movie or not forty I guess it's almost forty thirty nine years after the first movie. And you get this story now about Danny or Dan I guess Torrence in this one that is so good and it's so funny to deviate away from what I'm saying because ew and McGregor is amazing in this. But this whole movie is elevated. I hate the word elevated. Horse sorry, it is increase in appreciation so much by the incredible performance of Rebecca Ferguson and this weird group of people that is just haunting and everything you do and you get this like terrifying and so bleak base ball scene that we get, and everything about this lives in your soul and it is.
Speaker 3: And the fact is I'm sorry, and the fact and the fact that they cast Jacob Tremblay in that roll and you're like, well, nothing bad can happen to him, right, and they get rid of that.
Speaker 2: With your heart out in that scene and then everything just falls into place and like you can see some of the beats coming that they're aiming for and you're like, damn, like I really hope you can pull it off. And then he pulls it off, and then some and it's like WHOA hold on? He just like one of the most highly lauded horror films of all time and he just stepped up to the plate and killed it. Doctor of Sleep is going to go down. I really think in like five or ten years is something that people look back on and go, Jesus Christ, how did we just let that go by and just be nonchalant about it. I think that this movie is going to go down as a modern masterpiece of horror, and in thirty years there will be double features of the Shining and Doctor Sleep done that people will pay huge dollars to go into because it will be such an experience to see with the crowd. I adore Doctor Sleep. And again, I know it's weird to say because everything Mike Michael, everything Mike Flannagan has done has gotten like great rave reviews. But no, it's not enough Doctor Sleep. Is it surpassed that it is an absolute masterpiece?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love it too, and but I really need to rewatch it because I yeah, I saw it in the theaters obviously, and I loved it. But I have not seen the director's cut.
Speaker 2: So I was about to bring this up before we went to the next one. The director's cut is longer, and it's not like a substantial couple of scenes. We're talking of substantial like twenty one minutes or something like that longer Mike Flanagan. If you are if you are a Mike Flannistan, I just I think Mike stand again. I don't know whatever it is. If you love Mike Flanagan, A lot of what people love it for is his dialogue. If you watch Midnight Mass and you're like, fuck, I really hate these monologues, you're probably not gonna love the director's cut. But the director's cut delivers this like extra exposition that isn't explaining but just enhances it. It is a really beautiful sort of like Midsommar did for me, this this addition to the story that just made me appreciate what I like, truly adored in the theatrical cut, and they just said, oh you want more, Yeah, here's here's a half hour more that you can appreciate and love and make it just that much better.
Speaker 3: So you you still really like the theatrical but you just think that the director's cut is is a superior version.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think it's very very good. But the director's cut is absolutely the way to go.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Yeah, I gotta I gotta get around to you know I have it, so I've got to get around to because didn't they release didn't they release the theatrical and four K but only the director's cut in Blu ray or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so so frustrating. Yeah, that is exactly the problem that the director's cut is only on Blu ray anywhere in the world, I believe.
Speaker 3: Mm and why no reason was obviously finished like.
Speaker 2: Yep, all filmed the same exact way.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm. But yeah, you're you're right, Like, I mean, it came and it came out, and I mean I feel like it got good notices from people who saw it, but it just it came and went yeah yeah, and I but I do feel like I have already seen more people finding it appreciating it. So I think you're absolutely right. I feel like, yeah, in another decade or two, it will be considered widely a masterpiece.
Speaker 2: Again, I know it's weird to pick it on a night like this where I'm talking about Tremor's four and then follow that up with follow that up with Doctor Sleep. But truly, like, if you get forty critics in a room, probably like two or three talked about it in high regard and a lot of them just didn't bother to say much about it. This movie should be up there with like best horror movies in the last twenty five years easily.
Speaker 3: M hm. So my fourth is okay. So this one, yeah, I feel like, yeah, this is another one where I feel like it came out and no, I think it was very mixed, let's say, and I thought it was almost as good as I won't say this is as good as the original, but it's almost like I think that, and I've only grown to love it even more through the years. And it is scream three nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people who don't like it because they say that, you know, it's too broad, it gets too comedic. But I feel like that's overall. I mean there's parts, yes, but I feel like that's overlooking the overall story, which I think is arguably as dramatic as any of the films in the series as far as Sydney goes and her backstory. And I don't well, I mean, it has been twenty five years. I don't know if I want to give away, but let's just say it adds more to her backstory with her mother and everything.
Speaker 2: But I just.
Speaker 3: There's so much inventive. Yeah, so much creativity that went into the third one. I felt with transferring it to Hollywood and having it be set on the STAB three set, and the conceit that the actors in the film are dying in the order that they die in the script, I think that's so much fun. And then on top of and on top of that, we've got arguably the best supporting character in the entire franchise, which is Parker Posey, absolutely brilliant. Like I thought, I thought she should have gotten an Oscar nomination for that role. Damn, that's I think that she. I mean, she's actually talked about how she wants to come back, which I think would be hard hard pressed to do realistically. But at the same time, I would welcome it because I would just love to see what she's doing there. But on top of that, like I also feel like with us, you know, the Sydney's character, I think that it realistically, I think it's the only one where it so far. I think the new one coming up next year is going to explore her life more for the first time really, because I mean in the second one she was in college, but you didn't you know, and since then, you haven't really gotten too much look into her everyday life. But with the third one, like, I think that it did a pretty good job of exploring, you know, somebody who's gone through, you know, something so traumatic and and where they are in their lives. And she sort of like closed herself off, you know, sort of lives you know, out in the middle of nowhere. But she works as like like a crisis hotline person. And and I think it's realistic to to just like the post traumatic uh you know, PTSD of it all. And and when she comes to Hollywood, uh, you know, after the after everything starts up again, Like there's a great set piece where she is on the set of the film and the she finds herself in her old bedroom, which is a set not her real bedroom, but it's been made to look exactly like her bedroom. And uh and also like the set where her mother was found murdered. And I just there's just so many layers to it, like just with her being sort of inundated with with all of these memories from her past that were so horrible. Yeah, I just think that that that's that's a great set piece on top of it all. And also it is like, I think it's uh. I know that some people uh are a little bit divisive over this, but the dream sequence that she has with her mother coming back and being at the window, I think I almost remember you saying at one point that you didn't care for that. I actually think it's one of the creepiest moments in the whole franchise. So yeah, I just yeah, I just I love it from beginning to end. I think the comedy works, but I also think that it's not. It doesn't lose sight of its story or its characters or the drama that's involved in it.
Speaker 2: So great pick. I'm on record for saying, as far as horror franchises go, Scream I think is the highest quality throughout for the most part. I've soured on the newest ones a little bit over the last couple of years, for sure. Like walking out of the theater, I'm all high, like, ooh, brand new Scream. This is great. I go home and think about it, I'm like, wait, maybe not.
Speaker 3: It's like yeah, the well, yeah, I like all of them. There's not a single one that I would say is bad by any means. The fifth one, Yeah, I was so high on it at first when I went and revisited it, like I think some of its problems started to show. And also like just I mean, I know we're talking about Scream three and not Screamed, not the fifth one, but but just to mention the fifth one, like the fact that the original movie with Stu's house is like actually an actual house on location in northern California, and it's been relegated in the fifth one to a replica that's on a studio lot, and you can tell that it's on a studio a lot. Like that's just heartbreaking in a way because it just it just takes away I don't have the feel of it.
Speaker 2: So to bring that back to the third one, I think it's brilliant to have a house that, like real screen fans are familiar with Sydney, and so to be able to see her run through a set of her house is hilarious and like meta in a couple of different ways. That is just great.
Speaker 3: I actually runs through the one door and there's nothing on the other side, so she hanging off of it.
Speaker 2: So I really do enjoy Scream three. I mean, anything that gives Roger Korman a cameo, I'm gonna love, But I have to admit this one is my least favorite, primarily because it is rather obvious that the script fell apart from what they wanted, and I don't wanna. I don't want to spoil too much for those that don't know about the story behind Scream three. If you're interested in you've seen it, go go look it up. But essentially, what is revealed as the killer at the end of Screen three was only supposed to be a part of what that story was telling you. And there are a handful of things in this movie that because of the way they actually showed it, literally, it makes no sense. It would be a possible for what happened to actually happen because the story was meant to have different people being interested.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, it does something really interesting, you know, in the third act that's set in the mansion. Yep, it does something interesting where somebody that you think is dead and then you're like, there's literally nobody else that it could like, there's like it there. It's like everybody is either already dead or the people that are still alive running around are not the killers. So you're like, who is the killer? So I think that's sort of clever how it does that. It's sort of like switches around on you.
Speaker 2: I agree. Yeah, I actually really like the third act. I like the fake out. You think Dewey's about to die and then it's the knife handle. Oh yeah, or really, that's one of the first times I think that they did a fake out death like that a type of movie like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also going yeah, going back to Parker Posey, so like she's she's playing an actress who's playing the Gail Weathers and so like I love their chemistry together and the way that she basically decides, like I'm gonna hang on to you because the killer really wants you, not me, so if we're together, he's gonna kill you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Screen three is fun, and yeah, this is a good choice. It's definitely I could see it being underappreciate because a lot of people hate this movie, like genuinely that loved the first one. We're like kind of kind of mid on the second one and then hate the third one.
Speaker 3: And I don't. Yeah, I just don't get that. Like even if you think, even if you think it's your least favorite, like you do like at least you still see the positives.
Speaker 2: They're all very good and a lot of a lot of movies wish it could be as good as Screen three. Oh man. That leads me, gosh, I have two left. Uh Okay, I'm gonna talk about this one first, because we just talked about horror so much. This one is not horror but cult adjacent ish. And this one's kind of odd too because it's technically not necessarily a sequel, but it is part of a trilogy. I am very happy with the other films that we got in this, so I'm not putting those down. I love those when they came out. I think that they were great and at each different era of my life. The first two films in this trilogy were my favorite films from the trilogy. But now I think one of the most underappreciated sequels of all time, which I mentioned on the show before, so again, probably not a surprise, twenty thirteen's The World's End by Edgar Wright. This movie has aged like fine wine compared to the other two. And I'm not saying Sean of the Dead is problematic now or anything like that. Shawan of the Dead is still great. Hot Fuzz is a fantastic movie, but the way that they not even they the way that Edgar Wright got you to invest in funny enough, not even characters, just the friendship of Nick Frost and Simon Peg for two movies, and then he takes you to the third film and you're like, oh, cool, they get to go drinking their friends. It's gonna be a lot of fun. But they flip the rolls and Nick Frost is now suddenly the regular dude and Simon Peg is the fuck up and you immediately like, have something weird in your head, go, this doesn't feel right, But afterwards it really hits you, especially if you aged with these films. Watching Watching the World's End at seventeen is so different than watching it at thirty two, because by the time that you're thirty two, you have known so many people that are like Gary. You've had friends that are stuck in their ways from childhood, from teenagehood, from getting in trouble, from just wanting to drink every Friday night and Thursday night and Tuesday night and whatever. But the way that they tell the story is so just like meaningful in the idea of friendship, the idea of like a familiar area for you to be bonding with friends and know the people around you and feel like what we've lost in twenty twenty five, which is this love of third places where you can go with somebody else that's not work, that's not home, and just feel welcome and accepted at a place like a local pub that you go to all the time. And this movie being told with frickin' robots and aliens and so much shit happening on screen to show the story about a forty year old alcoholic at its heart is so damn good and so poignant. I think it was just too soon. After the first two Most of the people watching it were like twenty three, and they were Gary still, and so so many people hated it because they couldn't relate to it in the way that Edgar Wright was looking back on it. Most of the people that were watching this were Gary and couldn't look back yet. They need to separate from that life and grow up a little bit like Gary had to through this whole thing, and it truly reframes this entire story. And having certain people that I grew up with that watched this with me in the theater that all hated this movie that are still massive fuck ups that I don't talk to anymore, believe me. But knowing that this was so prescient about what you're harming through a relationship like that, God, this is a great movie. Again. I think it's like a masterclass in storytelling that we're attached to Nick and Simon rather than the characters that they played in Hot Fuzz and in Sean of the Dead because they're different. But that core relationship of the director and the two stars was such an iconic tripod of contributing equally to this that by the time the third film was there and it pulled the rug out from on you and flipped it, you are completely lost in that. And for a moment you are a little dazed watching the first act of this film, And then when you get into it, God, does this movie hit. I love The World's End, and I think it might be the highest quality out of all three.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, you make me want to revisit this really bad. I yeah, I've only seen all three of them one time each if you can, wow, and each each one was in the theater, and I've never revisited any of them. I liked Sean of the Dead, and I liked Hot Fuzz, and I really did not like the world. This World's the World's End. And but but ever since then I can say that I'm probably wrong because I've had so many people over the years tell me how good.
Speaker 2: It is, oh wow, okay.
Speaker 3: And how they don't understand how I don't like it. So so yeah, I can. I can willingly say that that I could become Maybe I was having a bad day when I say, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood. But you're making me want to revisit it really bad, So I'm going to.
Speaker 2: I hope you watch the whole trilogy. Man, I again, Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuzz is so damn cool. The way that they frame all of like this action buddy cop comedy up against like a horror ish background with this murder mystery cult story so perfect and then set of the dead lampooning every zombie movie ever is just brilliant filmmaking. Fred Wright, I love all three of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good pick. Yeah, I'm gonna yeah, I'll go back and watch all all of them. It's yeah, definitely in need of a revisit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Craig says he watched Hot Fuzz, then the World's End, then shot of the dead. That would make for an interesting way to view them for sure. All right, So I think we are on to your final one.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, So this one? All right? So this, this was the one that I was referring to where I feel like it took big swings and people turned against it because of that. And that's the exact reason why from the very beginning I was so drawn into it, because I couldn't believe how basically how different it was than the other ones, and for the final one, and that is and and also I fully believe a lot of people aren't gonna like this who are watching this, but I think you like it so and that is Halloween Ends.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right?
Speaker 3: So well, as you know, Halloween is my favorite is my favorite car franchise. So I could basically go through and defend every Halloween movie except for Resurrection. But Halloween Ends. Yeah, definitely not what people were expecting. And I feel like it almost even though obviously Michael Myers is in this one, it almost mirrors Halloween three in the way that when that came out, it was advertised in a way that people didn't even know that it had nothing to do with the previous two, and so they were just outraged by it. And David Gordon Green has actually said that he even gave hints to its connection to Halloween three by adding in the opening titles, there's it's it's the font color is in blue, just like Halloween three, which I thought was so cool. It's like a subliminal thing. But but but basically, like Halloween ends, like the pre title sequence starts, You're watching like this college kid who is babysitting, and like the child that he's babysitting is beyond annoying, and it's Halloween night and you're like thinking, all right, Michael Myers is going to show up. At some point. He does not only does he not show up, something even more horrible happens. And then it goes to the titles and you're like, Okay, this is not what I was expecting from the last movie in the series, and where is it going to go from here? And I was so excited by that. I don't I've seen enough. I've seen enough, you know, straightforward Halloween movies. I don't need it anymore. I totally welcomed what this movie did by basically changing so I yeah, this one is known as So the character the babysitter, his name's Corey, played by Rohan Campbell. I think he's fantastic in it, but people hate his character, like people are like vehemently like, yeah, they despise his character. And I think it's fascinating. I think it's such a great character and and his performance is is great in it, and and where it goes from there. I thought it was interesting that for the basically the first time you actually get an idea what Michael Myers does for the you know, the other days of the year that aren't Halloween, which I thought was interesting, you know, other than Halloween five where he's just like passed out for a year with a guy with a parakeet and and all. And then when and then as far as Lorie is concerned, I found I found that interesting too, because at the end of the of Halloween kills, you know, somebody very I don't want to give it away, but somebody very close to her is killed. And you're like, well, she's already been through so much, how is she going to handle this? And so it said a few years later, and you can tell that like she's gone to therapy, she's like worked on herself and she's like, finally, for the very first time in the series, you can see the Lori that was in the original movie. Like, it feels like her, and it feels like she's back to who she was. I mean, you know, obviously you change over time, but but I could tell that it was. It just felt like like the original Lourie. And I thought that was so interesting that they did that night. It couldn't be by accident. I mean, even the way she dresses is you know, as much as I like the twenty eighteen Halloween, like, I thought it was kind of boring the way that they sort of basically turn her into, you know, someone who lives beyond, you know, behind all these bars and stuff, and she's just done toting and this and that, and and I found you know, the Halloween h two O version of her more interesting because that was a more interesting take on what she would be like later on, I thought than even though I do like the twenty eighteen one, but but basically, you know, I could I could defend Halloween Kills because I think that one's underappreciated too. I think the trilogy that David Gordon Greed did, I don't really have many problems with it. I thought that it was very well.
Speaker 4: Done, and and then even with the end, like I just think it's pitch perfect. It it ends the way that the first one ended with, like the shots of the different rooms, but it's in the daylight and it's changed, and I just think that it's sort of poetic in its own way.
Speaker 3: So come at me, so funny enough.
Speaker 2: I don't love Halloween ns. I like it. I don't think it's nearly as bad as the world made it out to be on that first month of release, because oh my god, the world hate it for a month. But up until about ten minutes before we went live, I was gonna I knew that you're like a Halloween worshiper, so I said, I'm gonna make my final pick Halloween Kills because I think Halloween Kills is the most underappreciated of the new trilogy. It's great. And then at the last minute I changed it, and I'm not going with Halloween Kills. But I do think people should watch Halloween Kills. It is truly great. Yes, the whole Evil Dice, and I think it's bad dialogue. It shouldn't have been said fifty four times seven, sure, fifty four probably not, although I.
Speaker 3: Am annoyed that people focused on that so much, like there's so much more to the movie than that. Yeah with you, but but oh my gosh, I love Halloween Kills.
Speaker 2: It's so good and it's it's the movie that Michael feels the most dangerous to me in that movie by far. I mean, the whole park scene is well, like, my god, the most visceral violence in any Halloween movie by a long shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that. I think that's the my out of that that that uh David Gordon Green trilogy. I think that that whole park sequence is the best part of any of the movies, like horror wise, like it's so yeah, like you said, it's so visceral. It the tension is so high, Like I loved that they brought Lindsey back and actually gave her like a good like chase scene. And yeah, I would yeah, I would say, I you know, I decided to do Halloween Ends because I think that's the one that people dislike the most. But I think out of the three, I would probably it would be a toss up, but I think Halloween Kills is probably the best of the three.
Speaker 2: Again, I understand why people hate it, like coldon here, I totally get it. But the thing is, I'm not I don't know, I'm not attached to the Halloween franchise like a lot of people. To me, it's it feels like the most disjointed of the main hollow not Halloween, of the main horror franchises, like.
Speaker 3: Timelines and yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, I thought it would be cool to talk about a Halloween movie, but I decided I'm not going to talk about Halloween kills at the end. So at the last moment, I decided to make this true to my heart, something completely different. Get out of this timeline that everybody hates, and I think we have to talk about Halloween. To by Rob.
Speaker 3: Zombie, that was one of my honorable mentions.
Speaker 2: Rob Zombies, Halloween two is something that should go down as a modern horror masterpiece. This two thousand and nine movie is something that we have never gotten still to this day, out of Halloween films. There's so many things that are pulled off here, like it is a bigger story but not told in like a more complex way. It's more grounded in the humans than any of the other Halloween movies. It makes LORI feel like a real person, like they almost got to in Halloween Ends, and like they almost got to in the first movie, but they never quite got over that point. To me, I feel like Zombies Halloween two takes it to that other level where you are pouring out empathy at this person in a way that's not just I don't know, Like with Halloween Ends, I think the empathy that I felt at that point was almost just like you fucked with her so long, Just give her a break, Michael, come on. But with Halloween Two, it was just like, oh my god, this girl is being tortured, Like we have to get out of the situation. And there's something about Rob Zombie that so many people hate with everything that they are, and I have enjoyed the vast majority of what he's done. Yes, thirty one is a bad movie. I'm not going to argue with you there. It's a bad movie. However, it was a very troubled production too, But so people.
Speaker 3: I will say, as much as I disliked thirty one the first time I saw it, I went back and rewatched it again a few years later, and I actually liked it a little bit more. It's still not great, though.
Speaker 2: I totally get that Three from Hell not a good sequel. The biggest thing is the power from the first two, was said Haig, and when he passed, we should have just let that go. We didn't need a third film without being.
Speaker 3: Rejects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Halloween two. Everybody looks at these movies, and first off, people didn't want a new Halloween. They didn't want somebody else coming in and tainting their timeline. Dude, your franchise has been tainted far too many times. Let's stop bitching about that. But then the people wanted to complain because they gave us too much backstory. I get it a little bit, and I get the people hate Sherry Moon Zombie, and I get get the people hate the Rob Zombie classic dialogue. But Hallowing two is where he is firing on all cylinders most for a franchise type film like this that's not Devil's Rejects are House of a Thousand Corpses. Both of those movies are stone cold classics to me that I adore both of them in very different ways. Hallowing to the white horse scenes, the stripper scenes, the death scenes that are just gnarly, the brutal, like the way that people are treated in this movie is so just maniacal at its heart.
Speaker 3: This one is by far out of every Halloween movie that's ever been made. This is definitely the darkest and most brutal.
Speaker 2: It is great. It is a rob Zombie that honed his craft finally after four films four I think it was only four at that time, and being able to make this in a system that was it was already built against him. I mean, remaking Halloween was never gonna go easy, and people didn't respond well. It made a little bit of money, so they gave him a sequel, but he went all in on this and they truly did something special. And I think people are going to go back in time and watch this in a way that you just separate it from anything Jamie Lee Curtis and John Carpenter. And this movie is amazing, great music, great acting, great effects. Truly an astonishing piece of cinema that, honestly, I think it's way better than his first Halloween movie and something that should be discussed outside of the Halloween franchise as a whole.
Speaker 3: Now, would you say, have you seen the theatrical and the the unrated which would you say is better. I have a very strong opinion.
Speaker 2: I honestly, the Theatrical to me, is a better movie. But I I don't know, there's something sadistic about the unrated gut like it's it's I think it's more fun to watch. But the Theatrical is the better movie, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I strongly believe the Theatrical is the better one.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish that you could do like sort of a Frankenstein cut of both of them and put them together, because there's things about one that I like, but then there's other things. But the ending of the Theatrical is so much better. No, I was written it off like I'm like, the Theatrical is cannon because I refuse to believe that what happens at the end of the other one is what really happened. Yeah, it's so good, And you know, it's a shame that the second one didn't It wasn't as successful as the first one, because I know that they were planning on doing a trilogy, and I just would have loved to have seen, Yeah, what what Rob Zombie would have done with that third one and bringing Scout back because I thought she she's fantastic and.
Speaker 2: She's genuinely amazing, like maybe the best performance in any anything associated with this franchise.
Speaker 3: And and also like out of you know, I could be overlooking something, but basically out of any slasher movie I can think of, I feel like this one is most realistic to portraying the aftermath of somebody who's been through something like that and what they might be like a year or two later. Yeah, and I think, yeah, I think it's Yeah, it's fascinating it. I will say so just as an aside when I because this series means so much to me. So when the first one came, When the original Rob Zombie one came out, I saw it at an advanced screening. I was a critic back then, and so I was. I went to an advanced screening of it, and I was so outraged by what I saw because I was so stuck in my head about what the original was and it was so different and just you know, the dialogue, like it the Rob Zombie you know world that he always creates in his movie is it's just grungey and grimy, and I'm like, that's not what Halloween is. Yeah, and then like it it after the first half, and it basically the second half the movie is like a Cliff's Note version of the whole original, but in forty five minutes rather than ninety. Yeah, and I just I remember leaving the theater and just like being so angry, Like I don't know if any movie has ever made me madder in my life. And what's funny is that? And then I went home and like just wrote this like diatribe review. But what's funny is so then the director, you know, the unrate the director's cut came out, which is like twenty minutes longer or whatever. And you know, I've seen it many times since then, and I've actually grown to appreciate it, and the longer version helps it immensely. Yep, because it doesn't feel as rushed. I still have many issues with it. I swear, like in that third act Lorie is stuck in the walls for like thirty minutes straight and You're like, would you get out of the wall.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It like, but.
Speaker 3: It's grown on me. But Halloween too. From the very first time I saw it, I said, this is fantastic. This is what I wanted the original to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess to sum up like all of that on Halloween two. There's one thing that this movie gets that I think funny enough, since we just talked about Halloween Ends, I think that's the only other movie that comes close to getting this is Halloween two feels like everybody from the first movie is still feeling what just happened in that first film. They haven't recovered. And yet all of these other characters that are like newly added to the story that you don't know anything about. They just simply don't understand what's going on. And it's still so real to all of the victims that were around this, And it is again like it's it's the Halloween film that drew the most real empathy out of me, and I there's something about it. Rob Zombie was able to make it so real. But truly, Rob Zombie alone underappreciated as a filmmaker. I think people have shot on him for so long. He's really, in my opinion, only made two kind of bad movies, and they're not even terrible. I think Looking at Everything's Done has of a thousand corpses really good, Devil's Rejects Masterpiece, Hallowing pretty good. It's it's kind of bad but pretty good, Hallowing two masterpiece, not gonna talk about the haunted world of l Superbisto. Words of Salem secretly might be Rob Zombie's like technically best movie, thirty one bad movie, three from Hell, bad movie. Still fun to watch both of them, but bad movies. And then we get to The Monsters, and most people had an opinion but have never seen it. I adored the Monsters. I think it is so well done. He should not be out there touring like he is, right now, go make some more freakin' movies. You're great at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, I'm curious if he's gonna make anything else.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I don't know if he can get funding. That's a fucking worse thing here, like.
Speaker 3: Because he used to be, yeah, so hot as far as just to get some of the stuff greenlit. And I mean, and I mean he's had a lot of successes, you know, earlier on if they gave him the money to actually do something else. Yeah, the Monsters. Yeah, Patrick really liked The Monsters.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: I appreciated it, and I visually I thought it was really good, But I think that it was sort of misguided because it basically ends where I thought it should have started. I get that some maybe we can get a sequel. Well that's that probably never happen, but it could be like Adam's Family Values.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it probably would be better, just like Adam's Family Values is better than the original. Well I'm sad.
Speaker 3: That you you picked Halloween too, because yeah, that that's another movie where certain people just despise that movie. And it confuses me because I just think it's so great.
Speaker 2: It made people think. I think that's the biggest thing is it's it's like an art house Halloween movie and people were not ready for that.
Speaker 3: And also just as an aside, like Daniel Harris is heartbreaking in it, and Brad Doriff like when he's fined, Like that's some of the best acting I think I'd ever English.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so much, speaking to so much this topic. I feel like we could have each done a different list of five and so I'm sure we both have many more that we want to share.
Speaker 3: What else, We'll just go really super fast.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to bring so I just wanted to mention all of the all of the key famous horror franchises. I just wanted to call out some of them that that I like that that people don't. So starting out in celebration of it being after midnight, so it's officially Friday the thirteenth. I am going to defend Part five a New Beginning and Part eight Jason takes Manhattan. People don't like the fifth one because it's not really Jason. I think that that's why it's so cool. I think it's different. It has one of the best chase sequences I think at the end up there with Part two. And also I think sort of like Halloween two. I think a lot of the later in the eighties, Like if you watch some of the Friday the Thirteenth movies today, they are so watered down because the MPAA was basically cutting everything from them. Like if you watch Part seven, there's virtually no blood in that movie at all, Like you can just tell that they just cut it to shreds Part five they weren't, like they weren't cracking down yet. And yeah, that's like it's like the Halloween two of brutality. When it comes to the Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's it's much better than in a violent nature, which is just Jason walking.
Speaker 3: That's actually a good comparison. It actually does. And then with Jason takes Manhattan, Like the main criticism of that is that ak, yeah, he doesn't get to Manhattan until the last half hour. But the kicker for me is ever. So that's actually the first Friday the Thirteenth movie I saw in the theater. So I was seven, and my older brother sot me to see it and we got in and and I love the scenes on the boat. That's my favorite part. I don't really care about me. I mean, yeah, it's cool seeing him in Manhattan, but I don't really care about that because.
Speaker 2: It's like and it's not it's not done well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but like I like this. I like Jason on a cruise ship. I think that's good. If they had called it part eight Jason, you know, Jason on a cruise or something, people would.
Speaker 2: You would have called it Jason's Voyage to Manage.
Speaker 3: And people wouldn't have had the criticism anyway. I like them. The only one I can't quite defend is Jason goes to Hell. It's great that one does take big swings, I'll give it that much, but that one really does for the last one and it's called Jason Goes to Hell. You want to actually watch him in the movie, not his soul in other people's bodyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. What else you got?
Speaker 3: And then for a Nightmare on Elm Street picked part two So Goodtartie's Revenge because I feel it's underappreciated. I feel like people like it for now maybe, but back in the day like it. I think it was sort of like The Black Sheep, Like I just find it fascinating. Well, I love that, you know, people, the director can deny it all he wants, but the entire movie is a metaphor for exactly. It's about a teenage boy who's struggling with his sexuality. And if you can't deny it, like the director has said that he wasn't even thinking of that, I'm sorry. When you've got a scene where they're all these big balls are like bouncing in the gym towards the and he's like being whipped in the showers by Freddy, like it's and then you've got yeah, the protagonists who's like, you know, damning in his room and just it's it's so coded and so obvious.
Speaker 2: But I already coming out of him.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and Freddy coming literally coming out of him and he's trying to fight the urges. It's so yeah. I love that one. Do you have any more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got it. Chapter two is way better than people give it credit for it. It does, It does not suck. I love it. Chapter two. Day of the Dead is the best of the original Romero trilogy, and people look down on it because they think the other two are amazing.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's better than Night of the Living.
Speaker 2: Dead by a long shot?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And Donna the Dead is the worst one by far.
Speaker 3: Oh I would agree that.
Speaker 2: Funny enough, it almost made my list, but you were talking about it, so I kind of booted it for five twenty eight weeks later. Amazing movie, really great sequel if you've not given it a chance because it's Jeremy Renner and in a city, it's totally worth it. It's it's a very different movie, but that's not a bad thing. It is so well made.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I wanted to bring up Creep two. Creep was like this masterpiece that should not have been as good as it was, and then to have the balls to make a sequel to that, like in the exact same way. Creep two never should have been good. It is so good, and the fact that they could keep up the quality like they did, The Duplas brothers are amazing. Completely away from the horse side. Before I share the last one I wanted to bring up. It's if it's been a long time since you've seen it from the nineties, go watch a very Brady sequel, The Brady Family Going to Hawaii. It is so funny. There are scenes in that movie that are like totally weird, but so funny at the heart of it. It is a great, great comedy, so good.
Speaker 3: And then talk about how amazing Jennifer Alice Cox is so good, Like that's somebody who should have had a bigger career after those movies. She should have been like the Anna Faris every time because she was amazing as jan Yeah, fully agree, but yeah, I agree. Yeah, I think the sequel is better than the first one.
Speaker 2: Last one, I want to talk about one of my favorite horror franchises. Went and saw the vast majority of them on opening day with my wife since we were kids. I mean, the first one came out like twenty one years ago now or whatever. Saw six is actually a masterpiece, a really great movie, and the fact that the whole thing is built to lambast the American healthcare system is such a brilliant way to take a torture porn film and make it way relevant for modern audiences. And I think it'll go down as totally one of the best horror sequels of all time easily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely has one of the more memorable uh yeah sort of setups and and and storylines as far as the motive behind everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any more for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just have a few more real quick, I'm almost all right. This one's gonna be highly controversial. Jaws the Revenge, Jaws two maybe, but Jaw's the Revenge. No, no, no, Jaws the Revenge is better than Jaws two. Maybe maybe maybe that will get me kicked off the show.
Speaker 2: Just don't say it's better than the first one.
Speaker 3: And no, it's not as good as the first one. But I just feel like Jaws the Revenge, Like if you saw the first two and thought to yourself, I want more of Chief Brody's wife, then like this is the movie for you, And like Lorraine Gary is front and center for the whole movie, and like I'm here for I love her and it and it's like, yes, it's ridiculous that that the shark is going to follow her to the Bahamas, that's ridiculous. But everything else it's like a it's like a romantic drama. It's like what we were saying Wolf Creek with sharks like dangerous animals. This is like, it's like a romantic drama of a woman finding herself and it just so happens to have like a shark like attacking and killing people on the side, and like she falls in love with like Christ, who is it? Who is the jails for hold On? I got it? Michael Keane Michae okay, because he said that he took the movie because it paid for his house. At least he's honest.
Speaker 2: I love the I love the implication that somebody watched Jaws the first movie. You went, I want to see more of cheap Brody's wife, which was me.
Speaker 3: That's why I love her in the first I actually did a I did a Facebook post once where I was like in defense of Ellen Brody and I was like, oh interesting, and I was like, I was like, I want to see more of Ellen Brody. I was like, Lray Gary should have gotten an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actress for the original jonas she's so good in the room. Anyway, all right, the next two, I'll go quicker. Yeah, this, this is a little bit more outside the box.
Speaker 2: This is, oh yeah, not what I've seen the bite.
Speaker 3: So have you seen either of the curses?
Speaker 2: I think I've seen the first curse ages ago, barely remember it. Definitely never seen the sequel.
Speaker 3: So they have nothing to do with each other. It's like, an of course only sequel. So the first one has Will Wheaton in it, and it's about like like water contamination and it starts like turning his family into like zombies or something. The second one, which has absolutely nothing to do with it, It starts Jill Scholin, who I love, and she's on a desert road trip with her boyfriend and he gets bit by a snake. And this it's been a while since I've seen it, but I think the snake has been injected with some special sort of venom or something, and it basically his her boyfriend's hand starts transforming into a snake. And it's crazy, but it's creepy and for anybody who has a phobia of snakes. I think it's one of the better snake movies out there. Yeah, it's it's very it's very well done. And I was actually, Joe Sholin is really good with social media, and like, I've been talking to her recently and I mentioned to her the other week of it because she had done a post about Curse Too, and I was like, how did you the end of the you know, without giving it too much away, Like the end of the movie, She's like in a it's like raining, it's muddy. She's in this pit and they're snakes everywhere, and I'm like, how did they do that? And She's like, I was told that they were not going to be real snakes, and then they dumped real snakes all over me and I had to just go along with it. Jesus, I would have been it's impressive for that.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 3: And then this also stars Joe Shoulin. But I want to just highlight when a Stranger Calls Back, which I think is better than the first one as well. Hear me out the first one. The first one it basically the best. Well, I guess it's arguable, but the best part of the original movie is the first like twenty minutes with Caryl Keene and the calls are coming from inside the house, and but when when Stranger calls back, like it extends that for a little bit longer, and I think does more with it, and it's even scarier. And then I think it's interesting. It actually does something similar to what we were talking about with Halloween two, where it sort of picks up with her character like a year later and she's really struggling to move on with just you know, the trauma of everything she went through. So I think that's interesting. And then I also think, you know, it came out in nineteen ninety three, and it's a it's almost sort of it's like an early requel, if you want to call it that, like because they bring back Carol Kane and Charles Burning, you know, fourteen years after the original to sort of help her. So it's sort of like what they did with Scream five and the upcoming I know what you did last summer. So I think it's interesting and there's also an awesome Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: I've not not. Well, I have, but not in a long time. Not in the way that I want to claim it. I just I really want to point out the show is never in the history of four years of doing this, never mentioned the words Charles Durning ever, and we've mentioned him twice tonight, is it.
Speaker 3: Well, when you mentioned him earlier in the show, in the back of my mind, I thought, oh, I'm gonna mention him. What all right? And then all right, three more and I'll go super fast. Book of Shadows Blair Witch two. I'm not going to say this one's as good as the first one, so don't think that I've lost my mind that much, but I will say that I'm very I was very impressed that, especially for so it's directed by Joe Burlinger, who's a famous documentarian and he did the Paradise Loss documentaries about the West Memphis three. Yeah, and then for them to then choose him to direct a sequel to a fake documentary and then choose not to make it a documentary, just a conventional we told film like that's kind of bizarre. But I like it, and I like the fact that they go in a different direction with it, because you would just expect them to just do another found footage movie. So I think it's good in its own right. I think it's very much a two thousand movie. Oh yeah, oh yeah, you know, right down to like the Poe song on the soundtrack and all of that stuff. But but I like it. Okay, last two. Yeah, this is another one that almost universally was hated, and I have absolutely no idea why, because I loved it. I'm not going to say it's as good as the original. It's not as good, but I did love it. Exorcist the Believer.
Speaker 2: I still haven't watched this. I need to.
Speaker 3: I have no idea why everybody turned against it the way that they did, because I thought that it's the most respectful to the original, and it deals with a lot of the same themes of you know, a lot of a lot of a lot of the same themes that are in the original about you know, faith and the supernatural and just I think it does a really good job of being basically what the original Exorcist is, which is more of a human drama that just happens to have really frightening things in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I see, is it? I see? I've always seen the Exorcist is more of a drama than than a horror film.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On that note, because that just reminded me I probably could have thought of this earlier and put it on my list, But I actually as an underappreciated sequel, I truly love The Omen two. I think it's a similar thing where it's a drama more than a horror. But I the second one might be as good as the first movie, which is crazy because that first movie is a freaking masterpiece. I love it, but the second one is so good, Like I love the whole franchise, but that second movie is really great.
Speaker 3: I like any sequel that decides to go the snow route.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm so excited for The Black Phone two because it looks genuinely like I was skeptical of what they could do with it, but now that I saw the trailer and I saw what they are doing with it, and it's set like in the winter time at this like camp and yeah, and they're sort of going out. They are sort of going on more supernatural route. It's almost like he's become sort of like a Freddy Krueger. Yeah, yeah, I'm really I'm really intrigued by it, all right, last one and this one again, I have no idea why people didn't like it. I thought it was fantastic and this is one that decades from now people are going to reassess and love and wonder why people didn't like it before. And it's joker if all you.
Speaker 2: Do something to see this one too.
Speaker 3: I'm terrible, I think it. I know, I know that they were both divisive, but but people tended to like the first one, and obviously you know it was Oscar nominated and and Joaquin Phoenix won the Oscar And but the where they went with this I thought. I thought it was organic to where it needed to go while also standing on its own and not just being a repeat of the first one. And I loved Lady Gaga in it, and.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: I think I think she was nominated for a Razzie for it, which is patently ridiculous because she's fantastic in it and the only reason they nominated her was just because it looked cool to just dump on the movie that was a flop.
Speaker 2: And again, most people had dumped on it never even saw it.
Speaker 3: So and yeah, I know a lot of people didn't like it because it was sort of a musical. Well, I mean, musicals are my second favorite genre next to horror, if you didn't know that. So I'm never gonna complain about a movie being turned into a musical. But I thought it. I thought it was a fascinating sequel and yeah, yeah, I'll defend it continue too, and it will be it will be reassessed in years to come.
Speaker 2: I need to see it. I've wanted to see it, and it's just it can't be a priority unfortunately, amongst many other things happening. But yeah, all solid picks, very very solid picks.
Speaker 3: Awesome if you have any more or was that it?
Speaker 2: That was it? I guess omen two. Omen two is one I could have added. I mean, there's there's so many things like I think, I don't know to get a little basic about it, Like Conjuring two is underappreciated because everybody has sort of been like mcued to death through the whole Conjuring universe that they've done. But Conjuring two is like the an equal but opposite side of the coin to Conjuring one that does not get the love that it gets. I mean, it created like three or four other iconic villains, some really great scare scenes in that second movie, very cool setting to take it where they I think it was really great. I mean Patty in the chat he mentioned Escape from La. It's not a good movie, but it's a really fun movie. And I think seeing Escape from La on the big screen really changed my feelings on it. It's it's a hell of a lot of fun and does not deserve to be maligned as much as it is. Let's see. I mean, we could go through silly things that we kind of already alluded to tonight, But you know, there's there's a lot of major ones that people have talked about, like you know, the Indiana Jones. The first one everybody always loves, but the second and the third one to so many people are way better.
Speaker 3: I I yeah, I've always said the Temple of Doom is the best in the series.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: It's well, that's the one that I as a kid, as a little kid watching these movies. Temple of Doom was the one that I just kept returning to because it's like one it's like one action set piece after the next that would appeal to a kid, like like you know, jumping out of the plane, and then and then they're on the raft and they're going down there, and then they run off the cliff, and then there's like the dinner with all of like the all of the animals and the monkey brain and the snakes and the whatever, and then you've got like the tunnels with the bugs, and it's like one thing after that, and then like the train ride and then the bridge at the end, Like every single thing appealed to eight year old me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. I mean, I don't know, there's so many that we could talk about, but a lot of these are also just like super appreciated, highly lauded films, and so, I again, great choice for a topic tonight. I feel like we really got some deep cuts. I mean, one other show was talking about the Curse to the Bite and Premer four and a long discussion on screen three all in one show. This has been a lot.
Speaker 3: Of fun and a fivele deep dive.
Speaker 2: I forgot, Yes, what were the words? A hardcore fival discussion. Yeah, and Patty Boy's right. Kevin Smith supposedly writing a sequel to Dogma right now.
Speaker 3: It was also he was supposed to be writing a sequel to mal Rats, but I don't know if he if he's still doing that or not.
Speaker 2: I think it got tabled because somebody came and offered to fund Dogma two if he did it immediately, she was like, hold that thought, mal rats and went and jumped on Dogma two. So he promised that he was going to take Dogma two to the can Film Festival by their eightieth anniversary or the eighty first, which would be not next spring but the following spring.
Speaker 3: So why do I feel like he's not going to bring back Linda Fiorentina because apparently he did not have a good a good time filming.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Just think his actual words where I should have cast Janine Garofalo in the role.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get that sentiment though, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I mean so we're thinking that, like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are going.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to say. You can't go into this and not get both of them right. They have to do this.
Speaker 3: At least, of course God.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately the biggest missing Alan Rickman, of course. But yeah, I'm very very curious to see how Dogma two will play. And not to mention, what do you what do you write it about? You know, after after his career and the lampooning from not even really the Catholic Church but the Catholic League, which is one person and most people don't realize that it's like mostly one person. They're the ones that attack Dogma to follow that up a handful of years later with Red State. I want to see, like, is there a completion of that trilogy of films that's gonna piss off the religious right because dog and Red State sure as fuck did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gonna be interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, speaking of interesting to see, that has been you, my friend. Thanks for being here tonight. This has been such a blast, really great discussion. I love Matthias is here and I say we're leaving right as he says, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We've been live now almost four hours and not a moment that I have been bored. I mean, listening to us talk about these has been a lot of fun for me, at least hopefully for everybody watching. Thank you, Thank you. Really fun week scheduled for next week. Friend of the show, Aaron West, who's writing the book on A twenty four, is coming back and we're gonna have a discussion on something that's super close to both of us. It's gonna be a real fun one. I don't want to spoil it necessarily, but it'll be a great discussion, and I hope that you enjoy it next week, Dustin, great night, lots of good announcements, Thanks for giving your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. And if anybody dissed it at the beginning, go see The Life of Check this weekend. It is the best movie I'll see this year, and the year is not out, but I seriously doubt I'll see anything better.
Speaker 2: We'll see if it overtakes centers for me, because I truly loved it. Mattia's you're in Sweden. One of what band that I love is from Sweden. I hope you're enjoying it over there. Hope you're healthy, happy, Dustin, You're amazing. We'll get you back on hopefully sooner than nine months or whatever. All right, thank you so much, appreciate you, everybody you know the drill. If you are interested in having more conversations like this, sign up for the Patreon and the description below. We'd love to have you seeing the discord. N till next Thursday. Have a good week, Be safe this Saturday, see y'all. Thank you for watching the Disconnect. On the way out. Make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel that you've liked the video and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this. They know me.
Speaker 5: No, Hello, This is Aaron West. I am the author of the A twenty four New Wave. In this book, I look at A twenty four's output and I make the argument that we are in a new wave movement right now. A twenty four plays a major role. This book has a sub monal podcast where each episode is a brief conversation about an A twenty four related topic, whether an actor, director, or even a genre. As I continue research for the book and conduct interviews, I expect to record podcasts episodes with people involved with the company. You can find the podcast at sendjourneys dot com or wherever you find podcasts. And we are proud to be members of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description.