Speaker 1: Streaming live.
Speaker 2: I mean iHeartRadio WIM. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteenth fifday.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Troy Hutchinson and for JA and now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball Breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Let's start with a little bit of news from Arizona football. Got an article here about potential breakout stars, breakout candidates for this upcoming season. The top five got tight end Keon Burnett, cornerback Marchis Groves Killbrew, wide receiver Jeremiah Patterson, hunter Michael Salgado Medina, and then offensive lineman Rhino.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna even try to say his last name, which you know it is, I say Rhino.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, who's the author? Who's the source?
Speaker 4: This is from the desert?
Speaker 3: So is that in the in house or is that from somebody else and they're just repurposing it? That's probably sorry, Okay, So by you know, you know, that's an aggregate type of thing. They find other stuff from other people. You agree.
Speaker 5: I agree, I would have included some other guys, but I mean, Kim Burnett's had a very impressive training camp right spring. He did not look good and Roberta Miranda was the guy that kind of stood out there. But Burnett's been catching everything, been very physical, looks a little.
Speaker 3: Bit and we've kind of expected this, haven't we.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think it's just a matter of time. Where when is he gonna pop? I mean, yea four star kid that's highly talented. When is that finally going to click? And we might be starting to see the start of that one.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the son of Chester Burnett, right and and Arizona has seen the Legacy kids before the Johnson kids, the one who came from Colorado. Is it Johnson on the defensive end a couple of years three years ago? I think it was under under under someone uh, defensive end guys him and his brother.
Speaker 5: There's a P J. Johnson.
Speaker 3: He was a no, no, no, this is Colorado transfer. And then his son, his brother was already here from and I'm sure, oh, Harris Harris, did I see Johnson? Yeah Harris, Yeah, yeah, Harris. Those guys were good, but but obviously not as good as well. Shawn Harris kids, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, Harris Jalen was good and solid. Not the Ford Star recruit that everybody thought he would do.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 3: He the transfer from Colorada.
Speaker 5: It was Jason Harris, the transfer from Colorado, right, who grew up here in Phoenix. I believe in the Arizona area, Ford Star hid and he just never cut it. And I think he went on Marshall and didn't cut it there. So you know, just kind of a.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it just doesn't work, yeah, yeah, yeah, because I mean those those names are huge names, right, and you think, okay, the apolo isn't far far from the tree, and those guys just didn't didn't cut it. That's why I couldn't remember.
Speaker 5: The name, you know. And and it's hard when you have a dad that's elect right, right, and then you're living up to that expectation.
Speaker 3: No, it's very difficult. The pressure is.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable, even when you don't think you are you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without questions, without question. Okay.
Speaker 4: Sticking with college football, switching over to IOWA football, the head coach Kurt Friends and assistant John Budden mayor or Bud Meyer where we say it, they are going to be suspended for the Hawkeyes season opener due to a penalty for a violation. Late twenty twenty two, they contacted a player and his family prior to him entering the transfer portal.
Speaker 3: Oh okay from another school?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 3: Did this? Did the guy eventually go to Iowa?
Speaker 4: I think? I mean, it's like they didn't identify the player.
Speaker 3: But if you're doing it and they don't go, what the hell you screwed up?
Speaker 5: You mean, coaches the players that are on did.
Speaker 3: You just wing quin at me?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Well apparently, but did you in modern telling me, oh, you know this stuff happened before you know this that before? Yes, I know this stuff happened before you know because how how could it not right?
Speaker 5: I mean, let's let's face it. I mean there were talks about that. When Jetfish and his SLAF left Washington, he's on influx of Arizona players go to Washington and some that were in the portal and are they gonna say? Are they gonna leave? But they didn't talk to them like there are those are their guys? You know, you're naive if you don't think that they had some format.
Speaker 3: But if I talk to them, if I ave allome player and I talked to the coaches. Is that okay?
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't think either way. If you're not in the portal, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, okay. I'm sure they did because it's come on, it's human nature.
Speaker 5: And you had guys that were previously on Arizona staff that were there during the jetfish era, that were here when Brennan first got here, and now they're not here.
Speaker 3: So you know, yeah, I mean that's happens. You know, divorce happens. People go their own way. It is what they hear, what it is there is gonna be in a good spot.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Do you a one hundred people that you know, one hundred people just random, how many believe that Brendan's a guy?
Speaker 5: I would say about sixty five, that's all I would say about sixty.
Speaker 3: Well, what's wrong with the thirty five?
Speaker 5: I think what's wrong is San Jose State, even though the record's not like, the record doesn't show how well he did that. Sure, but of course that average college football fan that doesn't understand the ins and outs. Yeah, anything about college football. Well, he had a below five hundred record at San Jose State. Why do we want this?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 5: It was San Jose State. Let me tell you. Their facilities are like.
Speaker 3: A high school facility, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the stuff that he did there was.
Speaker 3: Very actually, actually people what people don't know, it's like UTAP or New Mexico State or even New Mexico. Coaches who take those jobs are more likely to be fired than get a job, a better job, because how do you win there.
Speaker 5: It's it's almost like a death.
Speaker 3: It's death, no question. Yeah. And so he did really well at San Jose State because it's at some level he should not have, right.
Speaker 5: And we've seen that from three coaches. One of Arizona did it very yeah there, and Marrick who went on to Colorado and got a ten win season at Colorado. Those guys have done very well there and they went on to move on. But how many coaches at San Jose State have We've never heard of because they go there and then they're gone.
Speaker 3: And then they're gone, right right right? Well, what's his name? The Bouer who went to Fresno State? Right?
Speaker 5: Another?
Speaker 3: Places very difficult to win, and if you win there, you can probably win pretty much anywhere. Jed Reyeah. Yeah, yeah. So yeah, the people who have are poopoo in that. What's your percentage, your personal percentage, personal percentage, I would say eighty five percent. Wow, So that's that's a huge difference for sixty five and eighty five. I don't know. I'm quitty closer to you because I think he brings back the Dick Tomy system.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of feel good about it. Uh. And not that Dick tell me was the be all and end all, because you know, people want to revise the history. But he was very good for this place. And I think that Brendan will do the same thing.
Speaker 5: And I think it's just going to come down to can you recruit at the power five level and can you kind of succeed and make those coaching changes on the field in the middle of games, because we don't know what this coaching staff is going to do in the middle of the game. And in terms of recruiting, you know, they've gotten some nice recruits, but if they don't land right now, you're going to see recruiting go down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that that that'll happen very obvious because Tson, Arizona has not been the mecca for recruiting in football.
Speaker 5: And what Jed did here recruiting wise, might be the best recruiting jobs.
Speaker 3: And how did he do that?
Speaker 5: You had playing time, you had open slots and offense, you just had guys that wanted to play. And you know, you get a guy like tetro O McMillan, who he's a five star kid, one of the best high school prospects I've seen in a while. But he's a little odd. He's not your typical you know, look at me show voting five star kid. He wants to be with his friends.
Speaker 3: Right It only it only takes one. I mean, Luke found that lightning in a bottle. In one his name was Sean Elliott. Uh Lou would have done very well without him, But you know what I'm saying, he found that lightning in a bottle. He was very good, a local kid, and he put the program on his back and had good people around him, and they played as a team and they won.
Speaker 5: And how quickly did that take Arizona from a slow development to all of a sudden you're one of the best programs.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was. It was a six year deal, but they were good right away. In terms of his after his first year at least competitive, and then they became an NCAA team, had their lumps in the first round, and then they struck gold with his Kerr and that group of once in a lifetime group and they did really well. And then you become really good, and then you begin a team that under achieves. And he did eighty nine team in the country and lost in the sweet sixteen. Ninety they were pretty good, lost ninety one the same thing.
Speaker 5: Could even say ninety four. I know they got to the final four, but it's a pretty damn team.
Speaker 3: Good team, pretty good team. But yeah, no, no, no question. They weren't going to win the title in ninety four. They were fun to play with, fun to watch though ninety seven who would have thought, who you know, honestly, who would have thought In ninety eight you're thinking, we're that's our title, and who.
Speaker 5: Would have thought?
Speaker 3: It's not easy? One o one my best team ever? Yeah, no question. And guess what they ran into a better team. A couple of bad calls, a couple of injuries that shouldn't have happened. Yeah, yeah, well no, yeah, but then Gilbert was hurt. I meanly, their best player was hurt. And Luke was hurt too, and how do you how do you fight with the one hand behind your back? And that's kind of what they did. Okay, I'm sorry we took enough time for your for your small amount of break of news.
Speaker 4: I just wished over to the baseball news last night. Now you're red short stop. The Cruise joined a select group. He stole his sixtieth base of the season. He has twenty home runs as well. He's now the fifth player since nineteen You don't one to do that, you have a good seasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a he's a fantastic player, you know, just a spider of Ale player.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping to go next year when they when they come to Arizona.
Speaker 3: Just oh, I saw them. Yeah, I went there. I went there and making let me know, because uh, we'll go. I went on my boss. We went to go see the Reds play up in Diamondbacks in May.
Speaker 4: That's one of those players you want to see in person, you know, right right, it's just so.
Speaker 5: Unfortunate for him that just don't have a lot around him, I mean, right, wasting talent there right now.
Speaker 4: I just don't have They don't have much of a starting pitching. Yeah, you know, nobody does. Really, everybody's injured. Switching over to Seattle Manners. They have fired their head coach, yeah, Scott Service. They have lost eight of their last nine games. Are still in still in the hunt for the wild card seven and a half games back, but they they're second in the division behind the Astros, so their season is not over yet. I'm kind of surprised to see them fire their coach so so soon.
Speaker 3: Before the seasons, right, Okay, Little League work Series.
Speaker 4: Venezuela defeated Japan about an hour ago and they advanced to the gush. We call it the final four of the Little League.
Speaker 3: Oh so who do they play on the international side?
Speaker 4: They're gonna play Asia Pacific, okay, and then currently right now Southeast and Mountain are playing their game and then the winter that will go on to be the last final of.
Speaker 3: The Who's the other side of the bracket for Southwest? South Southwest? So that's must be Texas? Okay? Southwest is Texas okay, and then you just have Florida or we said Mountain Mountain region is that Vegas. Vegas could be southwest because they them in Hawaii have been they were undefeated a couple of days ago. So you know, it doesn't matter. It's fine, it's fine. So did you see how much else do you have? What else do you have?
Speaker 7: That was it?
Speaker 3: What did you make of Pete Carroll going back to USC there's gonna be a teacher, you know.
Speaker 5: I think it's a nice little story for him to go back there and kind of not right, some wrong, just a new vibe, a new vibe and get over the old stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: Right right, and he's good. I think it'd be a good resource for Lincoln Riley to kind of pick his brain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know when you look at Pete Carroll and Lincoln Riley had a guy like that, and Bob Stoops most coaches are college legends.
Speaker 3: Sure, why wouldn't you and maybe maybe a guy like Reggie Bushes around the corner. I mean, you become a better coach when you have guys like him, right, him and Matt Leoner and some of those others.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know that's kind of what you see did back in the pet Carroll day. They had all those legends around the program helping people out and work out.
Speaker 3: For what do you make we got about too many stuff? What do you make of all the tension? And it happens every time with Dion. Uh, he's got a lot of tension again as a season progresses. He lost his special teams coach without any fanfare. I guess he left and then know one we talked about it until they found out he was gone. He's just an attention attention guy. I mean, maybe he seeks it, maybe doesn't, but it follows it's Deon.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know how to put it any other way. I don't think he necessarily is seeking it all the time. But when you're Deon Sanders and we're that voice vocal, it's the light's going to be fasted upon you. It's there. You're not going to hide in the shadows, right or are going to talk about you all the time, and you want people to talk about you all the time. You are always on social media. Your program is probably the most talked about program on social media. So, uh, you know, not necessarily stuff like this is going to happen, but you're always going to be in the limelight. You're always going to be in the spotlight. And now you have to handle it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and sometimes she doesn't handle it well. No, because it's his way. You know, you saw the thing from CBS and I'm not talking to you. Yeta YadA. Kind of silly. Okay, let's take a break ring and get ahold of Ortiz Jenkins and talk more about football.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shop the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 10: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 4: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 3: Lead edge and exercise equipment on.
Speaker 6: Twenty seconds just west of will Not Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James poy So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show time cards.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lindrix Syncredic Rates and available loan programs are subject to change with untice.
Speaker 13: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball and swimming seasons for youth anadol leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards AZ dot com.
Speaker 1: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: This is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sport's fourteen fifty. Right now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just Surgery on the Ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Wying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Troy Hutchinson, and you're right?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Do I continue to say you're your name wrong Hutchison? Yeah, yeah, I'm okay, go buy anything, Okay, okay, just we're waiting to call.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get ahold of Ortiz.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 3: He didn't answer, so he's gonna be call us any second now. Okay, cool, you gave him the number, right, Okay, cool. I look forward to talking to him and we'll get about talk about the good old days and then what's going on now with him? Ortiz?
Speaker 14: Is this you?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: How are you doing? This is Steve and Troy.
Speaker 7: What's going on? Gentlemen? Sorry for my tardiness.
Speaker 3: No, we're ready.
Speaker 5: We're good.
Speaker 3: Good good. How you doing and what are you up to these days?
Speaker 7: Man? I am doing great on a personal training company in Long Beach called One Body Strength and Conditioning, And I also I'm the president of One Body Youth Foundation, which is the nonprofit organization that's built to help some of the underprivileged community athletes get college opportunities.
Speaker 3: So nice, what's going on? How does that work? Do you have like sponsors or how does that work?
Speaker 7: Oh? Well, you know, we fundraised and try to get donations to sponsor our kids. Last Sumber or this past summer, we went on I think ten college tours between six to ten kids who were all over Colorado, Texas, Arizona State, Arizona of course went to Miami, Oklahoma, Ohio State. So we fundraised by getting donors to donate to the foundation, and then we taken sponsor kids that are potential athletes, and then we also do stuff like this summer we had summer programs that are free for the kids, strengthening programs, the yoga throughout the summer for two months. So it's a it's a huge program. The website is up and we have a really good thing going and hopefully we build on it next year.
Speaker 3: You guys are the kind of like the gurus of the quarterback. John Ronnie Veale did this with I'm sure he still does it with some pretty good players back in Georgia. Right, and now you're doing this. What gave you the decision or idea to do this?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 7: First and foremost, I have about ten quarterbacks in myself. I have the number one twenty twenty six quarterback, a kid named Jaden O'Neill. He's the number one twenty twenty six by ESPN. Jaden O'Neill is a quarterback at the Narbone. So I've been working with him since he was ten years old. Wow, he's a he's committed to the University of Oklahoma already. And then we have a group of about eight or nine guys, So as coaching and working with him, watching some of the guys go play against some of these bigger schools that I know, the kids had strength and conditioning programs and off season. I wanted to have a program where some of the inner city schools could get that same opportunity with right training, strength and condition and nutrition that can help them be better players. And the season comes around and you know, you talk.
Speaker 5: About Jen and O'Neil and going to Oklahoma and whatnot. How much different of a process is that now compared to when you're being recruited to the Arizona and major college decision? How how much more involved of a process is now compared to back in the day.
Speaker 7: Uh, it's night and day, guys. It's it's almost almost like a year round process. Basically, when the season ends, after bowl season, colleges come out and look at the kids, at the prospects. We go through. We put on workouts at the schools so the colleges can see them work, and then they go through seven on seven and then they go through the camp season. The camp season is in June where you can go to all the different camps across the country that the college is put on and allows the kids to actually get trained and work by the college coaches and you have to visit with them and they get a get an ideal, so you actually get they're called unofficial visits. You actually get more access now because you can do a lot of kids do a lot of unofficial visits before they do the officials. Like Jaydon O'Neill did probably ten unofficial visits and he'll only take one official visit because he liked Oklahoma so much. He is not that's where he wanted to go. The same thing with me. Man. By the time I got the Arizona, I walked on campus, I talked to Dick Tommy and Coach Bavers and those guys.
Speaker 3: I was so hop Yeah, no question. So this kid was ten who found.
Speaker 7: Whom me and his dad were working together in the gym, working together. His dad was one of the trainers that I was a managing partner for Crunch and he was one of the fitness managers and we hit it off from that point on and we've been locked and loaded every since. So we kind of found each other. It was kind of fake and he said, hey, my son might have something and I was like, eh, I don't know, okay as a natural throwing motion. And then we go from there.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure you've heard that a few time my son might have something in the UK. Say well, so was he your first, dude or did you already have this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Na, Na, he was the first one. Man. Jaden was the first one, and then I didn't take any one any more quarterbacks until like the last year to a half two years. I was just really kind of working with him and then you know, people were like, come on, oj just helped me out a little bit. And I was like, Okay, if they got a couple of a couple of skill sets that I don't have to go back and tease and I'll take them. They got a little something that I'll help them get through the finish line. So that's kind of where we're at now with the quarterback training. So it's pretty good.
Speaker 5: How were warning is it? For you to see a guy like Jaden, you know that you've developed since he was ten years old, now getting the opportunity to play at Oklahoma and get that commitment and be in the position that he is.
Speaker 7: Now, it's an amazing journey. Their story is a story to come out later on down the line, the struggles that they went through and just that whole process, and then it helped me with the other you know, the other eight or nine quarterbacks I got. I mean, I got two more twenty six. I have a kid named Alex McDean. I'm going to watch in the night, the kid named Ashton for now he's at He's at Loola, Alex is at Chino Hills. And then I got two twenty sevens that are gonna be ready, kid named DJ Mitchell and Chance Thommins. And then I got two twenty eights. So I got guys that the standard has been set. We know exactly what the model looks like, we know exactly what the colleges are looking for. I have all the relationships with all the offensive coordinators and collar back college coaches, quarterback coaches across the country. So now the model's been setting, and now it's it's just been great to see it. And now we can just trickle it down to the other guys and if and the key word is if they are power for prospects.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you this is maybe a dumb question, but don't you don't remember me or whatever I'm willing to do? Now what that's gonna say? Troy Troy ten years ago or somebody you know? Uh it comes to oh teach man. Uh uh, he might have potential. Uh, we'll see. Can you turn them into a player? Can you do that? Unless what if they have can marginal talent? Can you turn them into a vision one guy?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean if they if again they have this certain for me. For me, there's certain things that I like to take on. The certain things I don't they have a natural throwing motion, then I'm all about it. Size, Uh is another part of it. I mean, I mean by size is just more so size and strength necessarily size and height, right, because as we know, our quarterbacks one of the best quarterbacks in the country and he ain't that tall. But but but so I mean by but but Noah's stick. He's an athlete, and you got a member. Noa's also been a quarterback and being small as whole life. So he's been groomed and trained for since he was a baby. So we can we can always help. But I always bring people out for the workouts, and I'm a very honest coach, and I'm like, hey, if he's got potential, I'll say, hey, he's got something. If he needs a little bit of work. I have another coach that I work with and I say, hey, you might want to go with him first hyping up a couple of these things, and then once you get through that stage, you can come to me and we'll see what we can do.
Speaker 3: So one of the things, and you know this because you're with that guy that you can't teach or maybe you can't teach this smarts and Noah has that you know he has. He's smaller, he knows how to play the game. He's very good at what he does. But he has something that you can't teach or maybe you can't that IQ of football.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he does have a phenomenal football IQ. Because anybody that can play in those lanes and create passing visuals for him to see down the field is just amazing. I think, honestly, to be in my opinion, he's a one in one. I don't think he'll ever see anybody like that again for a while. I just think he's just a special and I think he's mastered how to be utilized his strength and stay far away from his weaknesses. And I believe he really studies the game. He's a true a true student of the game of watching football and knowing what he does best and staying in that lane.
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny that you use the term one of one because when we were talking to Dino Babers during training camp, that's exactly how he described McMillan. You've been around Dino a long time, you know, you played for Dino. How many times have you ever heard him say that about a player, because that that seems like it's it's a rare theme for him to say something like that.
Speaker 7: I haven't, I haven't, I've never, I've never, I've never, I've never. I've never really heard him say that or rave about that, because you know, there's times that things come along that you see something like, man, that's pretty special, and Noah's special. I mean t Mac, you know, was a five star coming out, so he kind of it was kind of already.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean he went and worked for but to see the things that Noah's done, you know last year that that was like special. And that's where and I went and watched games, and I went to the Arizona State game I watched. I came down in the spring to watch him practice. You know, I've talked to Noah, you know, just about you know, just I even asked, man, do you not throw with the laces? He's like, man, my whole life, I never do with the laces. I'm like, man, he so he just got different, a different skill set. That is just it's such phenomenal. I am very interested to see if we can repeat it this year. And if we do, I mean the sky's let me for him.
Speaker 3: Well, oh geez, we talk about this all the time, Jay and I and Troy knows about this. Arizona historically throughout has a great season one season and they just can't maintain another season. You had to deal with that. How why does it not happen? Why can it happen?
Speaker 7: Well? The reason why I think that this year will be different is because the year that we went twelve and one, the following year we lost a lot of our interior dogs is what I would call them. This year, Noah got four of his five starting old linemen back, and he got a top receiver, and they got some good running backs. So I mean everything and football gentleman starts up front, yep. And that offensive line is a monster. And they're they're they're they're veterans. They know what it is. He knows them. I don't. I don't expect anything but but positivity and a lot of yards and lot and a lot of excitement on the offense side of the ball because they're gonna dominate the line of scrimmers. Now, there's gonna be tough games, of course, but but I expect them to come out the gates. You know. I think it's a thirty point spread. I think it is for the game next weekend. I expect them to for surely clear that without question.
Speaker 3: Right right, you know.
Speaker 5: And kind of going back to uh, you know Babers in the relationship, there a lot of people, I don't want to say we're surprised, but they're pleasantly surprised that coach Babers was coming back to Arizona and joining Brett Brennan with this coaching staff. Uh you know at Syracuse, he had a lot of great years there and he's well respected. What makes him the perfect offense coordinator for this situation with the talent that Arizona has coming back.
Speaker 7: Well, I just I just think if you look at the people that he's coached and he's worked with, I mean, he's done at Texas and m he's a Baylor with RG three. I mean he's he's he's coached and been around some good quarterbacks, good offenses that will be able to utilize, you know, and utilize the talent that he has and and spread the spread the ball around equally, meaning as in, you know, team that's going to get his but to be able to utilize the run game, the tight ends. Kim Burnett, to me, is going to be a big kid. It's going to come out of the out of nowhearing people because him and Noah and t Mak all played together in high school. So I expect the big year out of Kim Burnett. I just think him being able to utilize the guys based upon his experience and being able to what he's done in the past with the programs that he's been at, I think that makes it a good fit because he can just sit back and call play now. And you got weapons too. You gotta you know, you gotta understand as off as the coordinator. You got a quarterback, you got your offensive lineback, got one of the top receivers in the country. Hey, we got to get started, you know what I mean, we got we got a collective group of running backs. I think we are right.
Speaker 3: I don't think I asked you this last time you were on the show, but but I asked this of athletes like you, you know, big time athletes who are no longer athletes. I mean, because you're how do you stay competitive?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, how do you get those juices flowing? Or is your new job kind of or your job with the quarterbacks gives you that?
Speaker 5: It does? It does?
Speaker 7: It's you get the competitiveness to see your quarterbacks go against other quarterbacks. Like I said, you know, we went across the country and you know, on some on some ranking charge Jayden is not the number one quarterback. So he's he's top five or top top six or seven in the country on any publication. But you just never know. It's always good when you go up against other guys that they say are the number one guy, or go to camps where they say they have these particular quarterbacks, so that the energy level and the competitiveness always stays there because you want to be able to say, hey, the guys that I work with are some of the top guys, and it's it's a beautiful thing to see. The two quarterbacks that I have my two twenty six is that that aren't committed yet. This is their year. You know, Arizona likes one of them really good. They like Alex Medean, the kid. We're going to look at it right now that I'm going to go watch today twenty twenty six a Chino Hills. So but he's got to put it on tape. So that competitiveness about me being able to say, I want to bring guys to my program, to my school. It's a good thing.
Speaker 3: So if I could real quick, we got a couple of minutes. So how would have ortiz Jenkins have benefited greatly from this nil stuff? You were born twenty.
Speaker 7: Years to mom, Come on, guys, Yeah enough, If I n iow and I was playing, yeah, if it was like how it was now, it'd be it'd been fun. I the probably needed some help to to keep me under control, right.
Speaker 3: People don't talk about it fun. People don't talk about that the you know, the kids with money now will be be careful, careful?
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean it's like a situation where you said, the young player get drafted in the NBA. You're young, millions of dollars and you're nineteen years old.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 3: You know, right, do you do you miss the good old days?
Speaker 7: You know what, I think it's beneficial for the kids to be able to get paid. I mean, you got to think about this, joint. Take this in perspective. We got paid seven hundred and eighty five dollars a month for our scholarship checks when I was there, and I thought that was a whole lot of money at the time. You know what I mean. Because you're an apartment with two other players, you're rent three hundred eachs you get to eat for free for the most part. You got to think back then general, we didn't get three meals a day. We got one meal a day that we played. The days we practiced, we got one meal. Now we had our little cat car. We can go get food on campus, but it's nothing like it is now. So I'm all for the kids being able to benefit from the nil from the collective aspect of it, to be able to make money to where their families can come watch games. My mom had to fly herself out to to sign every time. Now you're telling me we could, you know, make fifty sixty seventy eighty thousands. The top players can make a quarter half a million dollars and their parents can go to each game without questioning, you know, getting this easy to get them hotels all. I'm all for that. I'm all for the kids getting as much money as possible because we all know that the NCLA is getting money and.
Speaker 3: Sold the schools, and you're raising some now in terms of the players. So that's good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Ortise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 7: You guys are off man anytime.
Speaker 3: So I was leg No, you're good. Thank you very much. Good luck with all the kids. We'll get back to you. The great stuff, good stuff, good stuff. Let's take the break, come back and then talk more about all this stuff. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen Era in my new book, Lessens from Loot, It was a labor of love to the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 10: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs that you from and financial dad available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big what your savings grow to help you reach.
Speaker 3: Goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today. Been really insured?
Speaker 5: N CUA?
Speaker 3: Do you want to be part of a winning team? A team?
Speaker 6: Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts for over time.
Speaker 5: Twenty years.
Speaker 3: We want you to join the Action.
Speaker 6: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team. The A Team apply online today at a team security dot net.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera and Jacin salads they have their eye on the ball on Tucson's Sports Stage chat Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Ian the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Troy Hutchinson Hutcherson. Just annoan the hutchardson annoy end. I'll learn one of these days. I gotta say my kid's name right. And we've got Ryan. You just gotta remember Ryan's name. Welcome. We got about fifteen minutes off anyone who want to call. Anybody wants to call five two oho four one, six seventy four to forty. I think that was a pretty good interview. I've got a couple of texts from people saying that we should have off on more. Mean, what are we talking about but the same stuff I was gonna ask him about the leak by the lake. It's an old story, right, but uh, but it's still a good story. U and I think we've talked about this, that this's the second biggest play in Arizona history. I would rank it number one, where you being, I would rank it number Oh, don't tell Chuck season that I know you kids, What do you guys.
Speaker 5: Led to the greatest season in Arizona football history? A little bit different?
Speaker 8: Okay, maybe maybe upset at home and kept them, but maybe I don't know is going to have that type of season without that play.
Speaker 3: Tavier, give me a call, or Anthony, if you're listening, tell Troy he's full of it. I can't tell him he's full of it.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Again, well, you kind of make it. You kind of make a good point, but I don't know if it's a workable point. Maybe top two, Yeah, top two. I think he's number two. You know what, I think? What do you put?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: What do you put in that? And I'm not the football guy, I'm in the basketball guy. Where would you put last year's gunner gunner interception? That was huge?
Speaker 5: That was massive? Honestly, that that might be the second biggest interception. And you have a district next to.
Speaker 3: We're generalizing too, because you know you have the Hill Mary, the Hill Mary, Hill Mary, and you have other things. But that was they would they don't win that game.
Speaker 5: When I was up there for that game, you could sense that, you know what, this is the drive that Oklahoma's going to put Arizona way. You know they're gonna go on to win, Arizona's going to have a nice nine and four season. Be happy. And you go home and they make that fumble slash interception, whatever you want to call it. And they rolled to the fumble and all of a sudden you see blockers in front of them. It's like, holy cow, they're going to do this. And then the next drive, I think they got to pick again real quick by Martell Rby. I think he picked off the ball really quick after that. And you just saw a different mindset that you haven't seen out of Arizona, especially in a bowl game in a very long time.
Speaker 3: And not just a bowl game, a pretty big bowl game.
Speaker 5: A very like on part with Holiday Bowl, a little bit lower than Fiesa, but I mean massive bowl game.
Speaker 3: And I was at the Fiesta Bowl in nineteen ninety three, ninety four. It's hard to pick a game a key play because they kicked the crap out of Miami. You know, Miami didn't give a crap in Arizona was pretty good.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I mean, I was at the Fiesta Bowl in twenty fourteen, and that felt like Arizona played scared. Yespoise State, yeah, played a little dimid sure, and I know one knew was banged up and he wasn't the same guy. Yeah, But the Alama Bowl in Oklahoma felt like Arizona wanted to take it to a major program and prove a point that they're they're here, that this is their moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I remember twenty fourteen. The only thing that got it that was on New and the pick I think or he threw a bad pass in the end and Rich Rugby it's after the game, you remember the press commerce I was driving back with you, so okay you were I'm not in the business.
Speaker 5: No, No, it wasn't it. I was up in the nosebleeds, freezing my butt off because that was thirty two reason slush and Glendale that day, and people from Idaho were saying, what the hell you know? We we left Idaho for the heat and this is colder than it is in Idaho right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, hey, you're in the air. Are you on the ball?
Speaker 1: How are you deeed?
Speaker 7: Troy?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 7: Is Vic?
Speaker 2: Vic?
Speaker 3: What's up? Two days in a row? You must be bored.
Speaker 14: I just wanted to chime in and tell Troy he's doing a hallow a job over there.
Speaker 5: Man, I thank you, Jason.
Speaker 3: Well he pipped t one of these days by somebody.
Speaker 14: But you know what, I just wanted to chime in and tell you about the recruiting and Troy. You have said about bringing t Mac and Jed and the whole bit, but you can't leave Less and his wife.
Speaker 7: Out of that deal.
Speaker 14: Man. That was a huge part of this, This recruiting class and this team that they have right now.
Speaker 5: Left the feat down well okay, yeah, for sure. I mean she was basically a top recruiter for Arizona, you know, getting Temac and other Southern California kids to commit. When once Noah committed, she was gun ho all about Arizona and helped in a major way down the line.
Speaker 14: You know that how many times does that happen?
Speaker 3: Troy?
Speaker 7: Throughout the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I don't think it happens as much as people think. You know, there are parents that are heavily involved, but it's usually about their kid and their kid only. But being in that Polynesian community like no Fafida and many other other players are, it's all about family. And you know, they've played with those players through youth sports, high school football, and so on and so forth. So it's about a family in the community and that that was the driving point for them.
Speaker 14: Oh big, big time man. Did you did you listen a great show today with our keys and all that.
Speaker 1: That was awesome?
Speaker 3: Did you listen to us at the beginning talking with with Mett Moreno, I did.
Speaker 14: I mis mad that was working and I always like to hear him.
Speaker 3: Go back, go back and listen to it. And it was a lot about nil and kids getting promised money and then not receiving it when they get to the school. Shock the hell out of me.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's that's tough. I heard the end with Troy talking about it and there was no continent. Steve, you had mentioned it before, Was there any contract drawn up? You had mentioned it months ago about contracts and and stuff like that, and and now would said. It's true from what Troy and Matt said.
Speaker 5: Right, unbelievable, no paperworking. You open yourselves up to a lot of issues.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, thank you Vick, thanks for calling in.
Speaker 7: Okay, you got it.
Speaker 14: I hate Cary off you and Louis soon brother, have.
Speaker 5: A good one. Yeah you know, okay over Broadway?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay. I saw j J the other day. A good dude. He's a good dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, coming back from uh can coom.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was on the road. Yeah, I saw him about a month ago. Very good guy, very good guy. Well, former sponsor. Okay, anybody else want to call? We have ten minutes five two oh four one six seventy four forty h We appreciate your call. No, I thought today was a very good show, a very good show about recruit and and Ortiz was very good. So it's always good to have you. I'm not sure we're going to be having a show tomorrow. If I can grab a player or two from the loot camp, I will, I'll bring I'm bring somebody over or have them on the phone, because there's a big lineup tonight with those guys.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you how exciting is that for you to be able to do that and put this together and have that opportunity.
Speaker 3: I'll be I'll be honest because I helped Mike early when we started this. Loot was all in right away because he'd love seeing his guys.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: It took a hit for me when Luke passed because it's the Lttelson camp and he loved being around the dudes. So it's taken a hit since he passed and the guys come in now. So I'm affected differently because I love seeing the guys and and this is the first time Sean and and Sean's in town. Kenny and Harvey came before three or four years ago, five years ago when lout was around up, so it's different, but it is cool. They have a great time and dudes like you and me playing and they get close and they start becoming friends with the guys, you know, Facebook friends, giving each other grief on the internet, YadA YadA. Pete Williams is one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: And they're all part of my books right, all my books that I've done. I've talked to all of them about their stories in the program, so to that it's very cool. Uh but maybe i'm Jada's not the right word and over it's not the right phrase. But with Luke not being there, it's different.
Speaker 5: There's something missing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something missing because there's a reason why they're here to see him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's kind of how that group and that era was was whatever on it, and.
Speaker 3: That's why they came. You know, Hey, it's my chance to come and see the dude. And they all have great stories if if you bought my book and you've read my book, right, they all have fantastic, funny stories about the guy that brought him here because you know, he was more than the coach he was. He was like a dad, like a grandfather, and they were able to be honest in terms of, uh, you know, he would do this quirky thing, or he do this to you know, and but at the end of the day, they all loved him. You know. It's kind of like and you have a dad like this, and you know who I teach you about, because you know, there's a lot like my mom. She'd call you on the road and what are you doing. Well, I'm just driving, Mom, what are you exciting? No, I'm just driving mom. But you know, now that my mom is gone, you you you kind of appreciate those calls, right, you say, you know, oh God, my mouse calling again. Yeah, but you get it now. And and your dad is different because she's kind of maybe the disciplinarian. H you say, Dad, you don't get off me and whatever. But as you become older, like you were becoming older, you know what that stuff he said for me about fifteen years ago. It makes sense now, you know. And that phrase of that phrase of my my dad became smarter as I became older, It fits tremendously because it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you have kids, you're really saying, God, like my dad passed a long time, I had kids and on taking Dad's laughing at me from heaven because now I'm dealing with the crap that that I put him through, you know. And paybacks are yeah, they are what they are so exactly. So in Jenna, I've said this to you when my mom passed to you, because you know you you helped me out and enjoy them. Well you have them. Yeah, sorry to go philosophical, but you truly mean that. Okay, anybody else we have six minutes left five two oh four one six seventy four forty So a good question about the camp. It's fun. You can always go by if you want to hang out and then do an interview with the guys that are available for Go Easy Cats. So we'll probably have some people out there tonight.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, let me know what was I gonna say?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, in terms of you know, we talked about the little scenario and the father figure that what how much do you think that holds true for football during nineteen ninety eight and that era of those dig Oh very.
Speaker 3: Very much, San, Now that you said to me, I screwed up a question that I should have asked, a question I didn't ask is Ortiz because he played for Loot and he played for for Dick Tomy and the influence on him, if they had an influence, I'm sure Dick Tony did, and I'm sure even though he was only on the team for a couple of months, how that played out. But to your question ninety eight, what are you.
Speaker 5: Saying in terms of the father figure atmosphere kind of like what lut had throughout his tenure, how much of that it holds true for Dictomy?
Speaker 3: In his era, without without question, without question, and I called him. I covered him my first three years in Tucson. In fact, tomorrow will be my thirty seventh anniverse thirty seventh year anniversary when I rolled into Tucson thinking I was going to be here for two years. Uh, thirty seven years later. He was the father Flanagan. You know, he tried to make things right with the kids, you know, even the ones that kind of stirred, got away from being right or doing things right. Hugged him as he said, you got to know when to hug him when it's needed. I need know when to kick him in the butt when they when they needed it.
Speaker 5: And you know, it was kind of like that way on campus for a lot of the coaches. Mike Andrea, Oh yeah, Andy Lopez Bonasini, Uh.
Speaker 3: Well, and were you here for this time this talk. We probably won't take any calls because I asked Carea this, Uh, what makes a good coach? What makes a good coach? Either you have a good coach or good players? And does that help you win titles? Or do you need good players? And I'm not so good coach? And what's more important? And he talked about being respected uh being players. So you you followed these guys as as fans, right, what what made what in your I don't throw some names that you what made him be who he was?
Speaker 5: Andrea Krea? I think the disciplinary part of that was huge. Again, I covered Andrea.
Speaker 3: His last four years and it's different than what it was for sure, and.
Speaker 5: You know, but it was a father figure as well, even though he was very tough in the beginning of his coaching tenure and most of his coaching career and kind of very different. Like you pointed out near the end, every player that you talk to, they talked to him like if he was their father or a grandfather. They looked him in that role. Whenever when anybody had a wedding, he was there. He's the second the hospital there, whatever they're going through there. And that's something that is very rare to see in college sports nowadays, and something that Arizona had really in mid nineties till mid two thousands really going on campus and you're starting to see that come about now.
Speaker 3: Right right, Okay, So now any Dopus did you know much about him?
Speaker 5: I just the national and adult team watching them go through that. Yeah, that was about it.
Speaker 3: A fantastic coach, fantastic person. I think they played a lot his players played. You don't win national towns by accident, and he won a few. And they played hard for him because he respected a hell out of him, a very good baseball mind, and I just one of those dudes. He reminded me a lot of my father, just because you know all these sayings. Someone else is working harder. If you're not working hard, somebody else down the road is working harder because they want something that you try to get. Uh, okay, what about what about Obama? Sini?
Speaker 5: But you were too young for that very the era I remember is give me a coach, Give me your coach, Mike Andrea of that era, will, okay, give me another one.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's pretty much it. That air because I grew up in the Stoops era and Sean transition from Luke to Sean?
Speaker 3: And how do you let me say this because you covered the Sewan era, this might be a weird question. How do you think his players viewed Shot?
Speaker 5: I think they love him. I think there's a love hate relationship, maybe more so than Luke, But I think a lot of them appreciate him. You know, you saw in the media how hard he was on his players and how hard he was on them in practices and whatnot, and how demanding was But you always see him taking photos with guys like TJ McConnell, guys like Aaron Gordon and guys that have made it the league, and other guys that really haven't. They always go back to them. So they're going back. He had to do something right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree with you, and to your point, the TJ's are are easy. The Aaron Gordon's are easy because they didn't make it. What about what about a guy like DeAndre What do you think?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I mean that's a that's the one that's very tough for one and none. But a guy like Mark Lyons, he's at Xavier helping him out every now and then. Ryan Anderson was here at Arizona for one year. He's on his staff at Xavier. So there are guys that have been here one for two years and they're so around him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well they came for a reason and they came for him. Yeah yeah, any other coach stoops. I don't think you hear much from someone now and Jed, I guess the people who love Jed went with Jed, and people maybe who loved him decided to stay.
Speaker 5: Well, and it's a different era again. We talk about n L. So yes, you may love a coach, but that might not matter.
Speaker 3: Right right, I have a good deal here. Yeah, Okay, Troy, thanks for joining me, Thank you for having me. You'll be back at some point when Jay. I'm not sure about a show tomorrow, guys, so keep your eyes out for media and Jay's Jay's media my guest for tomorrow. Thanks everybody. Thanks Ryan,